Ch. 12: Zwolen.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Jason Kasparov
 player, 304 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sat 11 Oct 2008
at 23:19
Re: Close Calls
When word comes down the line to be ready to move, Jason passes the message farther on and readies the F88.  When the order to move out comes, he passes that as well and begins moving north in formation, sweeping left and right with his enhanced eyes.

Jason K.
F88 GLA [30/30, HE]
With main body
Moving north

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 365 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 12 Oct 2008
at 08:15
Re: Close Calls
Mariusz took a few seconds to absorb the orders fully and then began the slow and painstaking crawl toward the position selected for him in the upcoming assault.

Mariusz
G3 20/20
Crawling towards OP

Alexei Ondar
 player, 24 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Sun 12 Oct 2008
at 09:21
Re: Close Calls
Any lingering regret Ondar held for not having taken advantage of the opportunity for a hot shower aboard the tug before setting out on this trek vaporized in the frigid night air as he crawled up out of the culvert, wet and reeking of other people's waste products.  Wading through a thousand meters of near-frozen raw sewage wouldn't have been his first choice as an approach tactic, but what is done is done.

He had seen worse.

He had done worse.

Hell, he had probably eaten worse.

He rolls his eyes and shrugs it off. The Russian operative pulls himself up on to dry land at the Armi Krajowez crossing and offers a hand to anyone else in the team needing assistance.  Ondar then shoulders his rifle and silently moves off several meters to cover the team's left flank.  He crouches and begins to survey their western approach, first through the amber tint of his night vision goggles then again with the reticule of his rifle.  The quiet, cool stillness of the autumn night is slightly unnerving.  He shivers as a chill runs down his spine.



[Ondar]
Main body's left flank
SUV-AS (10/10)
Scanning to the west

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 285 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 12 Oct 2008
at 09:46
Re: Close Calls
Griet stayed close to Dawid as they moved to their next position. She worked hard and making sure she moved as quietly as she could and avoided any of her kit and extra load rattling or banging. She was cold, tired and nervous as well as scared, night fighting was bad even for the highly trained, she just followed and hoped she didn't screw up too much.

Griet
Tantal 30/30
Following Dawid.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 911 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 12 Oct 2008
at 13:35
Re: Close Calls
Although it wasn't too bad in the night air at the moment, Dawid could see (and smell!) that things were about to get a lot worse. He steeled himself, then stepped into the cold fetid channel.

Setting the PKM GMPM on its sling he carefully made his way down the canal, following Bayer. He checked over his shoulder and was grateful that Griet was following, burdened with spare ammo and the 1-shot RPG.

PKM GPMG (100/100 + 1 spare belt)
Stechkin (21/21) 2 grenades
Following Bayer North

This message was last edited by the player at 13:37, Sun 12 Oct 2008.

Jan Cerny
 player, 68 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 12 Oct 2008
at 16:49
Re: Close Calls
Alternating his crawling movement with the others Jan continues creeping forward. The night air was cooling him off more than he liked but he wasn't stiffening up yet. Soon they would be close enough to the troops, but for now he was still out in the clear and he hated it. They would be in position soon enough though, and his luck was good so far.


Jan
AK74-BG 30/30/1HE
Out in the open
I am the Shadow

Minh Quyen
 player, 308 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 12 Oct 2008
at 20:10
Re: Close Calls
Quyen takes up the rear of the main group. She stops once in a while to observe and make sure they are not being followed. Once they arrive at their next position, she will nod to Milk and head over to the mortar pit to inspect and occupy it.

Quyen
Rear of main body
Advancing
RPK-74 (40/40)

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 968 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 12 Oct 2008
at 20:41
Ready or Not...

The recon team continues their long, slow, crawling approach to the motor pool. After what seems like an hour, the four men of the recon team are in position directly across the road from the motor pool. The fenced-in yard across the road is littered with the partially dismantled hulks of almost every conceivable make of Warsaw Pact military truck- GAZ, KAMAZ, ZIL, Ural, Tatra- and even one or two American cargo trucks. Most are obviously innoperable. Parts, tires, and tools, lie in piles here and there, indicating works in progress. Some of the truck hulks are obvioulsy beyond hope and are being cannibalized for spare parts. Only a small of the vehicles appear to be in working order. Besides the heavily armed GAZ 66 parked just to the south of the motor pool fence, there is a large 6x6 Ural ARV truck parked near the entrance to the yard. An open topped UAZ is parked just in front of the heavy-duty tow truck. An M151 "jeep" is parked in front of one of the two large, open garage doors, facing the building.

Peaking over the convex arc of the paved road, the team observes a dim light showing from within the office section of the garage*. As they watch, the light is extinguished and the interior of the office goes dark. They moolight reflecting from the large windows of the office do not allow NVGs to penetrate the interior of the building. A ladder rises from in front of the office to the roof of the building. The sentry there shifts his weight every once in a while but continues looking intently west. From approx 75m away, Sam places his crosshairs on the back of the hapless man's head.

Meanwhile, the support force makes its way to the observation positon recently vacated by the recon team. Cold, wet, covered in stinking filth and mud, they settle in and take up firing positions facing the various threats that nearly surround them.

As per Konrad's instructions, Clarence and Minh begin low-crawling across the open grassy field towards the unmanned mortar position 100m or so away to the east. Both feel as if every waking eye in Zwolen is watching them. The short turf of the field offers nothing in the way of cover or concealment. Fully expecting to feel the sting of hot lead in their backs at any moment, the two finally roll over the lip and of and into the mortar pit, where they sit for a few seconds, almost overwhelmed by feelings of intense relief.

Somehow, both teams have managed to cross over three kilometers through a populated and garrisoned town without being detected. More or less surrounded by Polish soldiers, each element has successfully reached its assigned position and awaits the order to commence the assault on the motor pool.

Actions?
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 505 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 13 Oct 2008
at 01:36
Re: Ready or Not...
As Robert gets the orders from Konrad through McCoy, he begins the slow crawling movement of covering a lot of ground the hard way.  He stops every so often to look and listen to see if they've been spotted by someone or if they have spotted someone else.  He's glad their luck has held out so far and have been able to cover this much ground undetected, so far.  Tucker knew that would be over quickly when the gunfire started and they hit the motorpool.

Robert knew that once the signal was given to fire, they would have to hit hard and fast if they were going to be successful to get the trucks, get them loaded, and then get themselves out of the area.  He crept up to where Sam was and nodded to him that he was ready.

Tucker
M-16A2 [24/30]/M-203 [HE]
Waiting for the order to go
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 912 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 13 Oct 2008
at 15:39
Re: Ready or Not...
Dawid looked over at Griet and murmurred, "it looks like we have everything ready... except a plan for exiting. Well, too late to worry. Good luck, trust in God my friend."

He checked his assigned corridor of fire, choosing landmarks that would help guide the arc of coverage between which he would shoot and not be in danger of hitting their own people.


PKM GPMG (100/100 + 1 ammo can w/1 belt)
Stechkin (21/21) 2 grendades
South of Motor pool
Aiming

This message was last edited by the player at 15:41, Mon 13 Oct 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 286 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 13 Oct 2008
at 16:19
Re: Ready or Not...
Griet nodded grimly to Dawid and rested her own weapon on the ground before dropping off the ready ammo. That done she took aim at where she thought the enemy might appear.

Griet
Tantal 30/30
Aiming
Jason Kasparov
 player, 306 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Mon 13 Oct 2008
at 16:33
Re: Ready or Not...
Jason goes to ground by the side of the road, close enough to hear Dawid murmuring but not close enough to make out what was said.  Probably griping about something, he thinks in irritation.  The Polish artillerist was a nice enough guy, but his constant complaining of late was wearing on the nerves.

Maybe it's the Marlboros, he speculates.  Dawid's kvetching wasn't so noticeable, and Minh wasn't so cold before I gave them the ciggies.  Come to think of it, Hicks wasn't so stable.  Maybe he laced them with something.  Nah, couldn't be.  The packs were sealed when I opened the carton.  He gives himself a mental shake to get back to the matter at hand. C'mon, Jason.  Focus!  He forces himself to remain alert, ready to go into action when the ball drops.


Jason K.
Prone on east side of road
F88 GLA [30/30, HE]
Waiting

Alexei Ondar
 player, 26 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Tue 14 Oct 2008
at 06:24
Re: Ready or Not...
Still out on the left flank, Ondar slowly scans the western approach from south to north with the rifle's illuminated reticule, making an effort to estimate range to any prominent landmarks or viable targets.  As he completes the arc, he comes to rest with the barrel pointed at the front gates of the junkyard ahead.  He silently assesses the tactical situation and begins to calculate options for a rapid exfiltration under fire - a trigonometric exercise that yields bleak results.

Already cold and wet, crouching in the dark, he begins to feel somewhat exposed.  He hopes that his tattered poncho, while not quite a proper ghilie suit, will continue to break up any silhouette he may be presenting.  Through a tipless glove, his right thumb flicks off the saftey on his SVU-AS.  With his finger still off the trigger, he zeroes in on a likely target and prepares to cover the assault team's entry.



[Ondar]
Main body's left flank
SUV-AS (10/10)
Marking targets

This message was last edited by the player at 06:33, Tue 14 Oct 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 914 posts
Tue 14 Oct 2008
at 11:43
Re: Ready or Not...

This message was deleted by the player at 16:50, Tue 14 Oct 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 366 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 14 Oct 2008
at 16:17
Re: Ready or Not...
Mariusz lay flat in a fold of ground that overlooked the motorpool. He was cold, tired and smelled like shit, a far cry from the luxury of the boat. He smiled to himself, it was almost like being home, he only wished that Bear and Brother Switek were around to fight at his side.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 819 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 14 Oct 2008
at 16:48
Re: Ready or Not...
Everyone in place, Bayer toggles his radio, "Knife, Sunray. Move now to secure the compound. Support will engage on my command. Over." Omitting an planned H-hour or initiating fire together reduced any potential for the recce team to wither down the garrison before the alarm was raised. So he left them to do what they could silently - fire support would await the moment surprise was lost.

"Support stand by." he whispers. (Milk has a radio so he should be aware). "Kasparov, Ondar... keep watch on the west checkpoint. Your cover the far left flank. Dawid and Griet... the compound. Hold fire until the word is given."

Bayer
G36/HK69 (HE)
Lying prone near the MG
Waiting/Communicating

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 971 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 14 Oct 2008
at 19:59
First Blood

From the ditch running alongside the road, covering the trio of Mariusz, Tucker, and Jan, Sam forcefully whispers "Go!"

The team rises as one and runs, crouching across the road. The pass through the open arms of the yard's perimeter fence, keeping the immobile hulks of the cannibalized trucks between them and the occupied office section of the garage. Just twenty-five meters from the office, Jan innadevertantly kicks a wrench into a 55 gallon drum. In the still of the night, the otherwise innocuous sound might just as well have been a thunderclap. Atop the garage roof, the lone sentry jumps reflexively and turns to face the front of the yard. From across the street, Sam pulls the trigger of his M-25, sending a bullet whip-cracking into the startled sentry's midsection. With a loud cough, the hapless soldier tumbles back into his ring of sandbags. A low but emphatic moaning rises from the position. Sam pops up and sprints across the road, through the yard, towards the ladder to the roof.

Before Sam finishes crossing the road, Tucker, Mariusz, and the shame-faced Jan slam into the outer wall of the garage on both sides of the front door to the office. No light shows through the office's large front window. Each man is breathing too heavily at the moment to hear anything coming from inside the buidling.

In the main body of the group, those watching the road checkpoint* to the southwest (approx 300m from the group) can see stirring at the position. It appears that the sentries heard something and are craning to see what's going on at the motor pool building. Their movements suggest anxious curiosity more than outright alarm.

In the mortar pit, Clarence and Minh prepare to repell reinforcements from the east. As yet, they see no sign of any kind of reaction force.

Actions?

*OOC: Due to a major error on my part, the checkpoint on the main W-E road to Radom was misplaced on my Tac-map. It is actually north instead of south of the motor pool. And it's a big one since it's at a crossroads. Furthermore, it's blocked from both teams' view by the motor-pool complex. When Sam reaches the roof, he'll be able to cover it for at least a while. I'll try not to penalize you guys too much for my error but it will probably make things a bit more difficult for you. Sorry guys.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:10, Tue 14 Oct 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 308 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Tue 14 Oct 2008
at 20:37
Re: First Blood
His thoughts now focused on business, Jason  acknowledges Bayer's order and scooches around to face the outpost to the southwest.  Noticing the reaction to the noise from the motor pool, he elevates the M-203 (along with the rifle) and switches off its safety, aiming toward the green-tinged images of the outpost's troops and waiting for them to get closer or for orders to open fire.

Jason K.
Prone at east edge of road
F88 GLA [30/30; HE]
Aiming GL downrange toward outpost

Alexei Ondar
 player, 27 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Tue 14 Oct 2008
at 21:13
Re: First Blood
Upon hearing the instruction from Bayer, Ondar sweeps back to the left to cover the southwest checkpoint.  Through the 4x zoom of his rifle optics, the Soviet defector observes restlessness at the designated location.  He zeroes in on the nearest conscript, slides his index finger onto the trigger and waits for a reason.



[Ondar]
Main body's left flank
SUV-AS (10/10)
Covering SW and zeroing in

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 506 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 14 Oct 2008
at 21:44
Re: First Blood
Cap'n Rae:
From the ditch running alongside the road, covering the trio of Mariusz, Tucker, and Jan, Sam forcefully whispers "Go!"

The team rises as one and runs, crouching across the road. The pass through the open arms of the yard's perimeter fence, keeping the immobile hulks of the cannibalized trucks between them and the occupied office section of the garage. Just twenty-five meters from the office, Jan innadevertantly kicks a wrench into a 55 gallon drum. In the still of the night, the otherwise innocuous sound might just as well have been a thunderclap. Atop the garage roof, the lone sentry jumps reflexively and turns to face the front of the yard. From across the street, Sam pulls the trigger of his M-25, sending a bullet whip-cracking into the startled sentry's midsection. With a loud cough, the hapless soldier tumbles back into his ring of sandbags. A low but emphatic moaning rises from the position. Sam pops up and sprints across the road, through the yard, towards the ladder to the roof.

Before Sam finishes crossing the road, Tucker, Mariusz, and the shame-faced Jan slam into the outer wall of the garage on both sides of the front door to the office. No light shows through the office's large front window. Each man is breathing too heavily at the moment to hear anything coming from inside the buidling.

Actions?
Making sure the radio handset is secured on his person and his rifle slung, Tucker moves out when Sam gives the order to move on the motor pool, the silenced Skorpion machin-pistol in hand.  As they run through the grounds to the garage area, Robert winces when he hears the loud noise of metal to metal contact from either Jan or Maiusz.  He knows it's too late to stop now and that they need to cover that much more ground that much quicker.

Whether he hears McCoy engage a target with his rifle or not, the part about no one shooting at them yet is a huge plus on their side.  He makes for the garage with the rest of the recon team and leans on the wall to try and catch his breath and get his breathing under control.  He tries to hear what might be going on inside when his breathing slows and is less rapid form the sprint.

If there's a window near, Tucker will try to look into it or hopes one of the other two will do that.  He points (signals) to Mariusz that he wants him to open the door when he and Jan are ready to enter.  He points to himself first indicating that he will enter first and then pointing to Jan to follow him.  Not feeling to confident of the young Poles CQB skills, Tucker would prefer him to just open the door and cover their backs while they try and clear the room.

Tucker
Silenced Skorpion Machine-Pistol
Outside garage ready to try a non-dynamic entry (little or no noise or Flashbangs)
Konrad Bayer
 player, 820 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 14 Oct 2008
at 22:35
Re: First Blood
Bayer swiftly holds up a hand in the darkness and whispers loud enough for all to hear, "Still! Wait..." He focuses his NVGs on the motorpool and then crans his neck to view the checkpoint. "Still." he repeats. "If they investigate we hit them in the open." So far, serious gunfire wasn't emitting from the motor pool just yet.

Toggling the transmit switch he says softly, "Milk, Sunray. Have Quyen employ the mortar. Standby for fire direction." The girl had been a crewman on the Vasilek and was probably capable of direct fire at least. Besides, at 120mm it needed to only get so close to its target.

Bayer
G36/HK69 (HE)
Lying prone near the MG
Waiting/Communicating

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 206 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Tue 14 Oct 2008
at 23:30
Re: First Blood
Dave kneels in the dark, eyes and ears straining for any clue as to what is happening. Goddamn, he thinks. In the rear with the gear. Literally. Fuck it, with this headache, I'd be more of a hinderance than help.

Dave
Guarding boats
Ak-74, 5 loaded mags, 1 empty
BG-15, 6 HE, 1 Illum
Aid bag

Jan Cerny
 player, 70 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 14 Oct 2008
at 23:49
Re: First Blood
As he moves across the open area Jan almost stumbles when his toe catches the unseen wrench and sends it moving into the drum. Catching himself and continuing forward he hears the pop as the sentry goes down. Heart pounding and the hairs on the back of his neck prickling he waits for the outcry that will come right before things go crazy but for now it doesnt come.
Moving into position next to the motor pool grips his PM-84 as he stands next to the ddor. Nodding as Tucker indicates how he wants the entry done he reflexively checks his magazine and flips off the safety. With one last glance around them to check for anything out of the ordinary he looks to the others and holds up his fingers to count down, Three..Two..One..."Go" he whispers.

Jan
PM-84 silenced 25/25 3 spare mags
AK-74:BG-15, slung, 30/30/1HE 6 spare mags 9 HE
Next to the motor pool door
Counting down the entry

Minh Quyen
 player, 310 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 15 Oct 2008
at 05:23
Re: First Blood
Quyen kneels behind the large mortar and swings around the heavy tube until it points towards the SW checkpoint. Setting down the legs, she rotates the traverse and elevation wheels until it is set. "I can manage a slow rate of fire on my own if you want to keep watch down the east road." she says quietly to Milk. "Just let me know what I am ordered to fire at and I'll do my best."

She then opens up one of the ammo contains and begins stacking a small handful of mortar bombs near the tube for easy access. Her AK74 rests on the lip of the pit, also within arms reach.

Quyen
Mortar dugout - along with Milk
120mm Mortar / AK74 (25/30)
Preparing to provide support fire

This message was last edited by the player at 05:24, Wed 15 Oct 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 367 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 15 Oct 2008
at 15:33
Re: First Blood
Mariusz's heart was thumping wildly as he hit the office wall. He nooded to show he understood his part in the assault and opened the door to the office.

Mariusz
G3 20/20
Opening the door

This message was last edited by the player at 17:53, Wed 15 Oct 2008.