Ch. 13: Kozienice.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1026 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 28 Nov 2008
at 21:36
Ch. 13: Kozienice

"When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it."

- Yogi Berra

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:19, Mon 01 Dec 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1027 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 28 Nov 2008
at 21:55
Fox Hunters

October 12, 2000
0400hrs.
40F
Scattered clouds; full moon
10km south of Kozienice


No sooner has the last vehicle in the convoy pulled out on to the scarred blacktop to Kozienice that Dawid sees the grainy, green image of vehicles on the road behind them, to the south, through his Soviet-made NVGs. In all likelihood, the party would have heard them first if it hadn't been for the sound of their own engines warming up in the clearing. The unidentified convoy is about 400m away and closing slowy.

The first vehicle is small and boxy, with a small turret- likely an OT-65 or BRDM-2 scout car. The vehicles in line behind the scout car are larger and also wheeled but it's hard to identify them at this distance. There are at least two of them. As the party's vehicles accelerate to a night time cruising speed of 45kmph, the vehicles trailing 350m behind neither close the distance nor fall behind. At this range, it's likely but not certain that the trailers can see the party's vehicles ahead of them.

Actions?

OOC: This assumes that we are going with Dawid's final order of march.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 60 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Sat 29 Nov 2008
at 03:06
Re: Fox Hunters
Ondar returns from his stroll along the makeshift encampment's perimeter.  It is not immediately clear to him whether anyone took his hygiene advice to heart, but he figures he'd smell the results soon enough.  Resigned that he is not getting his sidearm or radio back any time soon, he moves to the KAMAZ gun truck he had driven out of Zwolen and retrieves his pack from the cab.  He reaches in to one of the side pockets and produces a box of 7.62x54R ammunition from which he extracts three rounds.  He then places the box back in his pack.  He releases the magazine from his SVU-AS and methodically places each of the three rounds into the magazine's feed and replaces it snugly within the well of his weapon.

After a brief and somewhat one-sided discussion regarding seating assignments and march orders, Ondar climbs aboard the Polish troop carrier and seats himself across from Warrant Officer Milk.  The pre-dawn air is frigid, but the weather conditions seem favorable.  He is pleased that the available moonlight will allow him to spare the batteries on his Nighthawks and it will be dawn again in no time.  Soon the team is again underway.  Ondar closes his eyes and attempts to get some rest.



[Ondar]
Honker Troop Bay
SVU-AS (10/10)
Along for the ride

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 994 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 29 Nov 2008
at 12:14
Re: Fox Hunters
The ride on the back was cold, uncomfortable. Dressed in a sweater, Dawid pulled his balacalva down from his mouth.

Pulling up his NVGs he looked over at Griet.

"Well, looks like we have company. We'll soon see if they fall for whatever trick is arranged at the Jeep. It shall be impressive, no doubt!*

He looked around at the darkened terrain passing them by. It was overgrown farmland, flat as a board. He knew that they were on the flats between the river to the East and the ridge to the West. No real place for an ambush, except the likely-deserted littel roadside hamlets that dotted the long straight throughfare connecting Koznieice and Zwollen.

Kozieinice was once a thriving agricultrual centre, the County Seat with a large thermal powerplant. It had also been a bustling Jewish community prior to the Nazis.

"Wonderful, just fucking beautiful. Saints and the Black Madonna preserve us. I need to get shit-faced drunk, and soon. If we live long enough."

Sighing he put the handset of the radio near his mouth pressed transmit.

"Sunray this is Eagle calling."

When he got a response, he continued.

"I see two vehicles now in pursuit. Range is three hundred fifty metres. They are keeping pace. Scout cars, Russian BDRM or Polish OT-65. Night-vision capable."

"Ah, my mistake, there is one scout car and at least two vehicles following in convoy. One scout car, two plus vehicled following. Do you understand?"


He turned to speak to Griet, but what could he say? The die would soon be cast. Nowhere to hide, soon nowhere to run if there was a roadblock ahead.

* OOC: It seems somewhat unclear whether the pursuit has cleared the Jeep or not at the point it was spotted. It kind of seems like they haven't, so I'll go with that.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:18, Sat 29 Nov 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 312 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 29 Nov 2008
at 14:23
Re: Fox Hunters
Griet frowned as she set up the PKMG and checked the rocket she'd been given. The pursuers were too close, they must have seen them, "I don't think they'll stop at the jeep," she said, "they'll probably just keep coming and chase us down."

She sighed, it had been a long night, "Dawid, I think we need to prepare for action, if you agree, I think we should tell the Captain we need to either try to outrun them or fight back now. My preference would be to fight back, but that might draw more attention from the town."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 995 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 29 Nov 2008
at 16:27
The Hunted
The truck jounced. He tried to keep it simple so he could be heard over the roar of the truck.

"Yes, action soon enough, and we are as ready as we can be until we have more information. We shall see! It's a stalemate. We can't stop right now in the open. Those heavy machineguns will cut through the tail..." He gestured at the tailgate, "like paper! But they will keep their distance from our guns. Until we are out of ammunition. If we stop the whole group and deploy we'll be outflanked through the fields, hit from the North, from Kozienice."

As he talked he kept an ear on the radio.

"We need to get off this damn road. Do not worry, we will be in the forest soon enough. If we bloody their nose in there, they might call it a day."

Speaking of the day, it seemed like time was flying away from them. The sky wasn't yet light with the autumn pre-dawn, but would be soon enough.

OOC: Edited some dialogue for clarification.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:05, Sun 30 Nov 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 530 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 29 Nov 2008
at 23:36
Re: The Hunted
Tucker takes whatever gear he had taken with him on the raid and whatever stuff they managed to pick up (and his personal gear of course) and heads over to the squad carrier.  He strips the magazine of the AK-74 he liberated from the garage and clears the chamber of the weapon and safing it while he adds the loose round to the magazine (25 rounds left) and adds it to the groups, now portable, armory.

Robert makes sure that he lends a hand to whatever needs to be done in preparation to helping the small convoy move out of the area and towards Warsaw and their original destination.  Once they're ready to go, he takes his position in the gunner's slot and makes sure the weapon is ready to go.  "We're about to have company real soon if we don't get a move on now!  Estimated range is about Four-Zero-Zero meters!"

Tucker
Gunners mount on squad carrier
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 243 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 30 Nov 2008
at 05:20
Re: The Hunted
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
  "We're about to have company real soon if we don't get a move on now!  Estimated range is about Four-Zero-Zero meters!"



Dave hears this and mutters "Aww shit." He quickly stows his bedroll and aid bag on the floorboards of the truck and climbs in.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 857 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 30 Nov 2008
at 08:37
Re: The Hunted
"Sunray roger. All call signs, keep moving. Increase speed." Bayer replies into his radio. He rises in the back of the squad carrier and looks first at the trailing element then the area ahead of them.

"Quyen, where's that RPG?"

OOC - Rae, can you give a description of the land, mostly ahead of us.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:38, Sun 30 Nov 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 997 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 30 Nov 2008
at 14:52
Re: The Hunted
Dawid acknowledged Konrad's reply.

Ducking under the tarp over the forward cargo bed, he leaned into through the back window into the sleeping/equipment berth behind the crew cab of the huge truck.

"Adam, keep pace with the others, we're speeding up!"

He motioned Griet over, pulling out the three of the smoke grenades.

"Keep to my left, as we face backwards. I will be on the right side, over here."

"Stay down behind the gun, in case they take potshots."

"When I call "SMOKE!" pull the pin and just drop one, one, over the side. Nice and easy. I will do the same if I need to. This is in case they stop to engage us with a missile or try for some long-range fire."

"When I call "STOP!" then get ready to go over the side. We will not be able to fight from the back of the truck. Go over what side I go over, which will probably be the truck's left one. Head for the ditch. Understand? Not the truck, the ditch."

"You hande all the ammunition for the PKM and the RPK-74, as well as the PRK-74 itself (and your own rifle) and the rockets. I will handle the PKM machinegun and my own weapons."


There was a case of MG ammo plus several cans wtih spare belts. The 12 spare magazines for the RPK-74 SAW were in 2 ammo pouches.

"If we have to run away, then form up on me and we'll head for the forest to the west, then try to get over the ridge by daylight."

"Remember, if we crash, try to get out or over to the forest side of the road. Not the river."


He made sure that the ammunition was piled against one of the drop-down metal side gates on the left side of the KAMAZ, where they would be handy in case of a rapid bailout.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 313 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 30 Nov 2008
at 15:01
Re: The Hunted
"Dawid," Griet said as she moved things around and grabbed the smoke grenade he'd given her, "if I take all that stuff I won't be able to move, let alone run. I'll take what I can but it won't be much."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 998 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 30 Nov 2008
at 16:12
Re: The Hunted
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg #12):

He shook his head, smiling at her.

"Dump it out the side into the ditch so we have it if we fight, no need to carry, understand?"

"If you have to priortise, grab the machinegun ammunition in cans. For the RPK-74 and the rest of the ammunition, just know where it is if things happen fast."

"When I give the signal will take some time for us to actually stop, so gather what you can and be ready to go over the side and try for the ditch. I'll try and put down the side gate so it'll be easier."


Dawid looked at her confidently. "You can do it, and if not it's all right, do not worry."

"Believe me, if we run for our lives, then indeed most of it will be left behind, do not worry."


He leaned back in the truck cab, instructing Adam to stop when said, and if so do it on the left side of the road as close to the ditch as possible, and to get out that side as well because that was where there will be. He relayed this to Griet.

"If we stop without actually getting out, then I'll let you both know. But I don't think so."

He made sure Griet had 3 of the 6 smoke grenades, and knew how to use them. You never knew with these Navy types!

This message was last edited by the player at 16:15, Sun 30 Nov 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 400 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 30 Nov 2008
at 16:38
Re: The Hunted
Mariusz heard the alert on the radio and twisted back in the side car to see what was happening. His heart beat loudly in his chest and his mouth went dry.

He picked up the radio mic and keyed it on, "Sunray," he called, hoping Bayer was listening, "I suggest that my unit picks up speed at the next corner and takes up an ambush position. When our last unit reaches the bend have them drop smoke and then everyone speeds up. Hopefully the pursuers will miss us in the scramble and we can launch a suprise attack, Chef, out."

He got close to Jason's ear, "We're being followed by at least three vehicles. I've suggested that at the next bend we accelerate and find an ambush point."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 314 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 30 Nov 2008
at 16:49
Re: The Hunted
Griet smiled back at Dawid, "OK, I'll do what I can." she patted the AA gun beside her, "We had 23mm AA guns on our destroyer, they're close range was considered to be 550ms or so with this sort of ammo. If we fire first, we might be able to incapacitate the vehicle in front. It seems a fairly accurate weapon, even I managed to hit what I was aiming at. I'd suggest trying to limit it to 2 round micro bursts if you can, that is, until we have no choice left but to spray and pray. It will be difficult for us to hit them, but it'll be just as hard for them to hit us."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 999 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 30 Nov 2008
at 17:01
Re: The Hunted
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg #15):

"Yeah, we're probably armed with basically the same weapon. We got the dual 23mm, they got the same 23mms or single 30mm, pretty much the same at this range. Stand off."

"This is a long road, if they get a stretch and have some guided rockets... That could be interesting."

"If they want to trade shots, I think I could snipe them. I'm handy with the 23mm cannon, in burst or single mode. I am very glad to hear the same about you! I was the best shot in my Regiment, no word of lie. With everything, guns, cannon, mortars. I apologise, I do not mean to brag or demean your no-doubt considerable abilities or bravery."


He looked embarrassed, like he didn't want to put her down or anything. That said, he got down so that he was behind the gun as much as possible, looking out with the goggles.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:54, Sun 30 Nov 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 315 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 30 Nov 2008
at 19:36
Re: The Hunted
Griet shrugged, "I wasn't best at anything. If it is a stand off, it's best to shoot first, after that all hell will break loose. That's why I'm glad you're shooting, not me. Maybe the best time would be just before popping the smoke, as I roll them off, you fire. That way our shot is in the clear and maybe we get lucky and obscure their shot. Good luck if you need to take it."
Jason Kasparov
 player, 344 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sun 30 Nov 2008
at 19:44
Re: The Hunted
Mariusz Tokarski:
"We're being followed by at least three vehicles. I've suggested that at the next bend we accelerate and find an ambush point."

"Okay, kiddo," Jason calls over the noise of the engine.  "Let me know what Bayer says about your suggestion."  Hearing the other vehicles in the convoy speed up and come closer, he accelerates to maintain interval.  Concentrating primarily on the road ahead, he looks for a suitable curve.
Sam McCoy
 player, 123 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 30 Nov 2008
at 20:13
Re: The Hunted
Speaking to Konrad..."Hauptmann! We have two choices here. One is too pull ahead and run. We do this by popping some smoke and taking a road they did not see us go on- it's hard to track at night. Second is to pull ahead and ambush but we will die if we do this- their trucks have armor that will stop small arms and we will have to have a 100% hit with our rockets which is a pipe dream. These guys are their rapid reaction force trained and armed to the teeth. They have more than likely trained with each other for the last few years. They will eat our lunch..."


"Now, I have saved a secret and I'm willing to use it to get us out of this mess. Get on the radio and tell all units to follow and hold weapons tight, then we pop smoke and I send out my two special smoke."


"So, if you're OK with it call and tell all vehicles to follow and then from here we throw two smokes from you and my two special ones. What do you say boss?"


OOC: "Special" smoke is CS gas grenade.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:25, Mon 01 Dec 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1000 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 30 Nov 2008
at 20:28
Re: The Hunted
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg #17):

He grinned, projecting his usual good-natured confidence, trying to bouy his comrade's spirits.

"Ah but you see, where the positions and weapons are the same, then it all comes down to skill! In that department we certainly have the edge, do not fear. So there is really nothing to worry about, is there?"

"Here, hold these. If you please."


Dawid gave her his night-goggles.

Casually, he took out his cigarette pack, offered her one, and then (with some difficulty) bent down under the cover of the tarp and lit himself a smoke. Fuck it, they already had their pursuers in plain sight, no crafty Indian trick was needed to hide the scent of tobacco over the machine oil and burning alcohol stench spewing of the huge KAMAZ engine.

Laughing, he flipped the chasing hounds the bird and blew smoke in their direction.

"Yeah, go fuck your mothers, hey? Lousy fuckers! See you in Hell or at the point of my cannon! I hope the radiation made your balls fall off!"

This message was last edited by the player at 22:25, Sun 30 Nov 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 316 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 30 Nov 2008
at 21:19
Re: The Hunted
Griet took a cigarette and after handing back Dawid's night vision goggles, she lit the end. She inhaled deeply and said, "I'll only smoke half of it, the other half I'll finish to celebrate you smoking the bastards behind us."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1028 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 30 Nov 2008
at 23:17
The Chase

October 12, 2000
0415hrs.
40F
Scattered clouds; full moon
Approximately 9km south of Kozienice


The chase continues through overgrown fields dotted with scattered trees. The trees grow thicker as the party travels north until, up ahead, a dark wall of them stand before the faint blue glow of the moonlit sky.

The trailers continue to match the speed of the party's own convoy. As the road curves slightly back and forth behind them, Dawid and Griet can make out two more vehicles following them- another large truck and a smaller, Jeep-like one- making the pursuing force five in total.

The forest is about 1km up ahead. About 100m up ahead, Jason and Mariusz make out a dirt road forking to the left, running parallel to the more distant woodline.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:26, Mon 01 Dec 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 852 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Mon 1 Dec 2008
at 11:34
Re: The Chase
Hearing they had company, Anneka didn't bother to send a reply over the radio - Walter keeping up with the leading vehicles would do that for her.
Although she was slightly disappointed that the heaviest weapon they had in the truck was her RPK-74, she did at least have the best night vision equipment amongst the entire group. Taking advantage of the technical superiority, she lent carefully out so she could observe behind them and attempted to identify the exact makeup of the pursuing force...
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1002 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 1 Dec 2008
at 19:20
Re: The Chase
Relaxed and confident-sounding, Dawid relayed the information about the additional vehicles.

Seeing that nothing was going to happen for a moment, he went through his pack and grabbed some food and stuffed it in a bag, enough for a day's rations for the three of them. He stuck his head back inside the cab and made sure that if they bailed out of the truck, Adam would grab these meagre supplies as well.

That done, he looked at the gun and did some figuring based on Griet's suggestion.

"I think I could take some single potshots, even on the run. If we have to stop for whatever reason, then I could take time to improve my aim. There's nothing fundamentally different between this weapon and any other cannon, just because it's usually fired in large bursts, you can fire it singly."

"Now if we hit, well, it depends. Fragmentation rounds might not penetrate into the compartment, but if they are traveling they might be surprised, swerve off the road. We could get lucky, destroy the vision blocks and other optics, lights, their night vision."


He clarified that they could (and probably would be forced to) drop smoke on the run, as he agreed with Griet that stopping might allow for some quick shots. "So, if I say "SMOKE" then just drop a grenade over the side to confuse them. If I say "STOP" get ready to abandon ship. If I say "GET OUT", well, we're walking."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:26, Tue 02 Dec 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1029 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 2 Dec 2008
at 00:03
The Chase (GM supplemental)

Craning her neck to see behind her and past the two larger trucks between the Tarpan-Honker and the enemy pursuit force, Anneka can make out several of the lead vehicles through her modern NVGs. Due to the intervening friendly vehicles and the curvature of the road, Anneka can only see the chasing vehicles intermitently but it is clear that the first vehicle is a small armored reconaissance vehicle- either an OT-65 or BRDM-2- with a turret-mounted machine gun of some kind (it isn't clear whether the weapon is a 14.5mm HMG or 7.62mm LMG). The second vehicle is harder to identify. It has the rough shape, size, and wheel configuration of a large truck but it's smooth, slab-sides, and angular cab suggest that it has been armored to some degree. Several weapon barrels portrude from various apertures in the truck's thick outer hide, most notably the circular tub atop the truck's cab. The third truck is a veritable twin of the second but the last large truck and the Jeep-like trailing vehicle appear to be standard, unarmored variants. Due to their size and number, it is likely that the pursuing trucks are carrying at least a full platoon of the seasoned anti-bandit troops rumoured to have been laying in wait at Pulawy.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 855 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Tue 2 Dec 2008
at 01:56
Re: The Chase (GM supplemental)
Satisfied she'd gained just about as much information as was possible under the conditions, Anneka pulled herself back into the cab and grabbed the radio.
"This is Starlight. Five vehicles. First is lightly armoured with turreted machinegun. Second and third appear to be trucks with juryrigged armour plate, firing ports and possible pintle mounted heavier weapon. Last two are softskin."
"Estimate total manpower at approximately thirty soldiers."
"Advise leading two vehicles pull ahead under cover fire of trailing two and conduct quick ambush with grenades and RPGs."


Sure, they had armour, but it appeared to all be intended to protect mainly against small arms and bolster morale of those inside rather than provide any serious protection.

"They're faster than us and they'll not give up easily."
Three out of the four vehicles they'd acquired could probably keep pace, but the Ural KT-L tow truck was another matter entirely.
Sam McCoy
 player, 125 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Tue 2 Dec 2008
at 06:07
Re: The Chase (GM supplemental)
on hearing the radio traffic from the major sam speaks to the Hauptmann.." Boss if we stop we will be fucked in the ass. lets throw smoke and fight another day when the odds are on our side."




sam
m25
speaking to konrad
Alexei Ondar
 player, 62 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Tue 2 Dec 2008
at 06:31
Re: The Chase (GM supplemental)
Ondar sits in the troop compartment of the Honker silently gripping his weapon - with his lips slightly pursed and his eyes bugged out.  As he follows the American's conversation with the German, his head swivels back and forth between them like he was watching a game of table tennis.

He looks plaintively across the cargo bed at Milk.

"Is Major crazy?"



[Ondar]
Honker Troop Bay
SVU-AS (10/10)
Wondering

Minh Quyen
 player, 325 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 2 Dec 2008
at 10:36
Re: The Chase (GM supplemental)
In the darkened cargo bay of the Tarpan, Quyen answers the Hauptmann, "I put the RPG under the seats."

She was seated further in and had no view of the pursuing vehicles. Listening to the radio chatter and Bayer and McCoy in the back, she waits for the word to deploy or keep moving. Couple mines would be nice right about now, she thought.

"No chance of outrunning them?" she asks. Thinking about time and distance she says, "If they are keeping up with our speed and are under 400 meters away, thats not any time to setup an ambush without them driving on top before we're anywhere near in position."

"However, if we can speed up to setup an ambush... then we can speed up to lose them, right?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1005 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 2 Dec 2008
at 12:37
KAZAN
In reply to Anneka Soleblume (msg #26):

Hearing that the following vehicle "only" had a heavy machinegun instead of an equivalent autocannon, Dawid focused the NVGs back on the pursuers, cursing that the Russian optics were brighter and less distorted than western gear, the trade off being more granularity.

Not being able to tell any more he gave up. He turned around and looked forward over the cab, then waved.

When he had Anneka's attention, he jerked a thumb back at their pursuers, tapped the side of his helmet, then pointed at her and made a vigorous slashing motion across his throat.

That pointed reminder delivered, he spoke to Griet.

"Risky, but not impossible. As an artilleryman I prefer a straightforward blow people up approach top problem-solving."

"Standard counter-ambush drill would be for them to stop and deploy in a flanking maneuver. Fighting from the march isn't recommended unless they are motor-rifle troops."

"Now, these 23mms clearly outgun and outrange anything they have, if "all" they have are machineguns. If a kill zone is set up where there are ambushers in close, we could be sitting back in support and pick them off with single shots as they deployed or tried to advance on us. It would be like target shooting ducks on the wing. Of course, probably highly fatal for any ambushing party in close. Such is the lot of a soldier."

He sighed. "Of course, having enough time to, say, plant a 120mm shell as an improvised mine, and deploy the mortar, would be nice."

Konrad Bayer
 player, 858 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 2 Dec 2008
at 17:08
Re: KAZAN
Bayer toggles his radio, "Eagle, Sunray. What's your estimate on how much damage you can do if you slow a little? Have enough ammo to knock out the lead vehicle?"

While he waits for a reply he says to McCoy, "I know. I don't want to lose our any vehicles so soon. I've got a feeling smoke won't do too much. Get some HC ready though. I'd rather smoke cover than gas."

"Mariusz, get ready to jump ahead and setup facing our direction. A defensible position. Wait for my word."

Speaking aloud he says while holding down the transmit switch, "I'm going to take the advice of both of you. Drop HC and see if we can lose them... once the flak and tow trucks get a little closer to us first so they don't get stuck in the smoke."

"If it doesn't work I want the dismounts to ready for a hasty ambush centered around the motorcycle's AGS. Dawid will try to buy us some time with that cannon."

"Bring the RPG if we need to go through with the backup." He thought for a moment... then adds quietly "When."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 317 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 2 Dec 2008
at 18:42
Re: KAZAN
Griet lowered herself down behind the assortment of boxes piled on the truck. The RPK was ready to use and she had the smoke grenades in her hands. She looked up at Dawid and said, "For what we are about to receive, may the Lord make us truly thankful..."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 401 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 2 Dec 2008
at 18:44
Re: KAZAN
"Will do," Mariusz aknowledged Bayer's order and turned to shout in Jason's ear.

"We're to speed up a little and see if we can find a good ambush spot facing the way we are coming. If we can, we set up and tell the Kaptain." his eyes probbed the terrain ahead hoping to find a suitable spot soon.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1006 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 2 Dec 2008
at 18:54
Re: KAZAN
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #31):

Dawid rolled his eyes. Weren't they broadcasting on an open channel? Still, the pursuers were well aware of the AA gun, so the options were not unknown to them. None of the following vehicles seemed to be radio vans, maybe no one had discovered their operating frequencies and was listening in.

Taking a second to shoot a sardonic glance over Griet he looked back at the chasers, did some figuring. Lets see, he thought, accuracy stopped and moving vs. survivability up on the open gun vs. ammunition supply vs. penetration of the vehicles' armour, add in others to draw fire and provide cover for more shots...

He wished he knew what Konrad was thinking.

Stopping dead in the road would be a real nail-biting experience, and he knew he would certainly hit the lead vehicle several times as it closed because of the increased accuracy, more hits meant more chance of a kill. In return he would come under withering fire on the open gun, increasing the chance a lucky hit was scored, ending the duel. Shooting while on the run was much less accurate but that went both ways and he probably could take as many pot shots as he liked. Stopping under the cover of other supporting firepower would be best for accuracy, but still not 100%.

"Sunray, while moving at any speed 50%, with 80% survival. Stopping with no support, 60% with 30% survival. Say, 70% across the board with support."
Sam McCoy
 player, 126 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Tue 2 Dec 2008
at 19:45
T-H
"This shit aint HC boss, that's just thick smoke; this is CS gas. One grenade covers a football field and anyone inside it will shit and puke on themselves. I want to drop two about 2 seconds apart to fuck them up good. They are bound to the road so they can't swerve off or they go into the trees. If they slow or stop then we outrun them. At 55mph we go 80 feet per second. Let's drop the gas. Their trucks aren't sealed and they won't have masks. This shit hangs around for a few miniutes and the effects last until you wash it off."

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:08, Wed 03 Dec 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 345 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Tue 2 Dec 2008
at 22:07
Motorcycle
"OKAY!" Jason shouts over the wind and engine noise.  He then twists the throttle and speeds up to pull away from the other vehicles, looking for a suitable ambush site.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 531 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 2 Dec 2008
at 22:45
Re: Motorcycle
"Roger that boss," Tucker replies back into the radio as he turns his attention to the rear to keep an eye out on what's going on.  "I hope we didn't bite off more than we can chew this time.  Just like Sheen said in 'Apocalypse Now', "Never get off the damn boat!"
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 193 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Wed 3 Dec 2008
at 01:11
Re: The Chase (GM supplemental)
Alexei Ondar:
He looks plaintively across the cargo bed at Milk.

"Is Major crazy?"


Milk frowns and replies,

"Is James Brown the 'Godfather of Soul?'"

Realizing that Ondar probably has no idea who James Brown is he adds,

"Yeah."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:11, Wed 03 Dec 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1031 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 3 Dec 2008
at 00:09
Ambushing the Ambushers

The Ural motorcycle accelerates and pulls away from the remainder of the convoy, passing the dirt road on the left. The wall of trees up ahead begins looming closer as the bike quickly closes the distance. Jason, concentrating on the road ahead, sees nothing amiss. Mariusz, on the other hand, through his borrowed NVGs, notices something odd under the trees, now just under 400m distant. A rounded object, clearly man-made, reflecting an oblong sliver of moonlight from the edge of the treeline near where the dark strip of road enters the wood*. Mariusz has seen plenty of Polish army helmets in his short life, and he has no doubts that that's what he is seeing right now.

Several hundred meters behind the motorcyle, the party's trio of trucks continues on apace. The pursuit force remains 300 or so meters behind them, matching their speed and keeping their distance.

OOC: *Mariusz recognizes this wood as one of the national wildlife parks nearly surrounding Kozienice.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:14, Wed 03 Dec 2008.

Sam McCoy
 player, 127 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Wed 3 Dec 2008
at 00:43
Re: Ambushing the Ambushers
With konrad not answering, Sam smiles, lifts the grenade to his chest, and pulls the pin and drops it over the side of the truck. He counts "one thousand one, one thousand two" then pulls the pin on the second grenade and drops it over the side also. Both grenades were his last bet and now they both bellow thick, blinding smoke to his rear. He smiles and says "Oops, I slipped."

"Boss, now lets take the road to the left and get the fuck out of here; the cycle can take up tail end charlie..."

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:49, Wed 03 Dec 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 860 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Wed 3 Dec 2008
at 12:10
Re: Ambushing the Ambushers
Anneka's attention was focused behind the small convoy as she attempted to line up her RPK-74 for a few bursts of hopefully effective suppressive fire. Walter, she thought, was certainly trustworthy enough to guide the lumbering vehicle without her unwanted assistance....
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1008 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 3 Dec 2008
at 12:48
Re: Ambushing the Ambushers
Dawid looked between the looming treeline to the north and the pursuers to the south.

If they were going to engage the chasers at range it would have to be damn soon. Better get prepared for that possibility. In the woods, the gun would be useless as it would be unable to fire at anything other than close range, suicide for the operator.

He mounted the gun and adjusted it so the twin barrels were pointed down the road. The big circular cross-hairs were centred on the following scout vehicle. Rushing wind battered the back of his helmet as he concentrated.

"Griet, get down, ADAM, HOLD HER STEADY!"

He pressed and held down the triggers, and the cannons hammered. Glowing green tracers screamed back down the road, seeking their prey. Garish muzzle flashes lit up the back of the truck.

"YEAH, GET SOME YOU MOTHER FUCKERS!"

Empty shell casings spat from the dual receivers, ringing harshly on the metal truck bed. As soon as the breech clanged empty he dove off the gun to the hard metal deck, in case there was any return fire.

2x 23mm Autocannon 49/200 rounds
Mounting ZU-23, Firing 5x 10-rd bursts at lead vehicle
Dismounting

This message was last edited by the player at 14:18, Wed 03 Dec 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 402 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 3 Dec 2008
at 19:07
Re: Ambushing the Ambushers
Too excited to remember radio protocol, Mariusz spoke frantically, "Kaptain, Kaptain, ambush about 400ms ahead! At least I think so, I advise you take the left fork we just passed. Do you want us to probe the ambush or join your tail?"

He waited for a reply before telling Jason to slow, any move now might trigger an attack.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 318 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 3 Dec 2008
at 19:09
Re: Ambushing the Ambushers
Griet popped the two smoke grenades she'd been given and then rolled them off the back of the truck. She ducked behind her makeshift barricade and grabbed the RPK.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 859 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 4 Dec 2008
at 20:49
Re: Ambushing the Ambushers
Bayer forgets all about the gas, the ZU firing, and even the trailing enemy convoy. Leaning over other passengers he bangs his fist against the Tarpan's cab. Then he yells forward - "Jan, take the next left!"

Squeezing the transmit, he says quickly, "Nein. Get back with us. What do you mean, ambush? Report, over."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 403 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 4 Dec 2008
at 20:53
Re: Ambushing the Ambushers
Mariusz heard Bayer's order and question and yelled at Jason, "Emergency 180 now! Enemy ahead! Follow the trucks!"

After that he used the radio and said, "In the woods, 400m from my location, at least one soldier in a defensive position. Where there's one, there'll be more. Do you want us to fire on the trucks following you as we take the track? I might get lucky and slow them."
Minh Quyen
 player, 326 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 4 Dec 2008
at 21:04
Re: Ambushing the Ambushers
Quyen slings her rifle. Pulling the RPG out, she stuffs a reload between the straps of her webbing and holds onto the launcher in anticipation for a rapid dismount.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 532 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 4 Dec 2008
at 23:24
Re: Ambushing the Ambushers
"What the fuck?  An ambush up ahead?  These guys can't be that good or maybe just a helmet hanging on a tree?  OH SHIT!  There goes the that crazy fucking Pole Dawid opening up on the trucks," Tucker thinks to himself reacting to the call from Mariusz and then seeing and hearing Dawid open up on the vehicles pursuing them.  Tucker turns his attention forward as Bayer calls to Jan to take the left road/path as he begins to scan for another ambush through his own NVG's.

Tucker
Squad Carrier- Gunner spot
Searching for another ambush ahead of their new route
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1038 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 5 Dec 2008
at 02:49
Hitting the Gas

At Konrad's prompting, Jan pushes hard on the brakes and cranks the wheel to the left, steering the Tarpan-Honker off of the blacktop and on to the dirt road paralleling the woodline looming to the north. With the loss of peripheral vision and odd forshortening effect induced by the NVGs he's wearing, the manouver is much more difficult than it otherwise would be, and the squad carrier careens off of the dirt track. Its tires spin for a few revolutions on the wet earth before regaining their purchase, propelling the truck forward witha  sudden lurch. Jan recovers and gets the Tarpan-Honker back on to the dirt road which, upon closer inspection, is actually paved with crushed rock. Everyone in the squad carrier is jostled about violently before it is back on track and heading west.

By the time the Tarpan-Honker makes the abrupt turn, two large, white clouds are forming on the road just south of the turn-off. Through his own borrowed NVGs, Walter, at the wheel of the big Ural tow-truck sees the squad carrier cut sharply left on to the bright green strip of the crushed rock road. The Ural passes through the growing cloud, causing it to swirl and eddy in its wake. Unused to both the goggles and the controls of a large, heavy land vehicle, Walter nevertheless does his best to follow the lead vehicle. The Ural's tires hiss as he slams on the brakes, trying desperately to make the sharp turn. Turning the wheel hard over, he still over-shoots the turn by a few meters, instead bumping over unpaved, uneven ground. The Ural bounces over a small hummock and a painful metalic crashing can be heard coming from behind its cab. Something has come loose.

The KAMAZ, in the tail-gunner position is in a better position to make the turn. In the bed of the gun-truck, Dawid and Griet are preoccupied with giving their pursuers pause to reconsider continuing the chase. Dawid strains to bring the twin barrels of the ZU-23-2 to bear on the nearest enemy vehicle, the OT-65 or BRDM-2. With no stabilization system, accurately firing on the move is a near impossible task. As the distant armored car enters the crosshairs of the gun's open sites, Dawid depresses the foot pedal trigger and the gun thunders into the night. Ten, glowing, tennis ball-sized orbs emerge from the huge starburst muzzle blast of the gun's right barrel and race towards the enemy convoy. Three crash into the armored car, sending massive showers of sparks cascading into the darkness. Two appear to hit the hull while the third hits near the left, front wheel. The armored car shudders, wobbles, and pulls to the left, slowing down abruptly. The trucks following behind it are forced to follow suit. The remaining seven 23mm rounds race off into the night, growing smaller and dimmer every second.

Dawid presses down a second time on the foot pedal to send off a second burst. Nothing happens.

The KAMAZ passes through the white cloud, now taller than the cab of the truck and wider than the four lane road. Adam, at the wheel, is oddly unnaffected. Behind him, in the open cab, Griet and Dawid each get a heavy dose of the gas. Both are too preoccupied with the mixed emotions ellicited by their small victory over the pursuit force and the agony of the apparent feed jam to notice the cloud. However, both are soon overwhelmed by its effects, coughing and wretching uncontrollably, their eyes so filled with stinging tears that their vision is severely impaired.

As the KAMAZ emerges from the gas, Adam almost fails to notice the Tarpan-Honker and the Ural veering off to the left. He skillfully manouvers the big 6x6 onto the crushed-rock road and follows the others, deftly avoiding what appears to be a broken crate lying on the edge of the road. His passengers, however, are too sick to even realize what is happening.

The Ural motorcyle/sidecar, heading towards an apparent ambush in the woodline, slows and pulls a U-turn, heading away from the forrest and back towards the turn off. Through their NVGs, they notice a large, peculiar white curtain drawn across the road south of the turn-off.

Actions?

OOC: Dawid and Griet both passed panic rolls but failed CON checks and will be sick as dogs for about 10 minutes. Adam passed both. All of the above PCs can post IC- I'd love to hear what they're thinking and feeling through all of this- but they can't do much other than cough, retch, and secret copius amounts of mucus.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:19, Fri 05 Dec 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 346 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Fri 5 Dec 2008
at 03:51
Re: Hitting the Gas
"Hang on, kiddo!"  Jason hits the brakes and whips the motorcycle/sidecar combination to the left through a 180-degree turn.  Back they go to the turn-off, swinging onto the gravel road well behind the line of vehicles.  Jason guns the engine to catch up to the others.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1011 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 5 Dec 2008
at 09:02
Choking
In reply to Jason Kasparov (msg #50):

Dawid lay gasping on the truck bed.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:12, Fri 05 Dec 2008.

Sam McCoy
 player, 129 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Fri 5 Dec 2008
at 09:36
Re: Choking
"Wow, that shit worked better then the last time! .Holy shit! Well, I guess they won't be following us for a while..."

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:20, Fri 05 Dec 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 319 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 5 Dec 2008
at 17:58
Re: Choking
Holy Mother of Christ, Griet thought as she rolled up into a ball. Her eyes burned and the tears streaming from her eyes drew lines of fiery pain down her cheeks. Her nose and mouth filled with bitter mucus as she coughed and retched, the hot food she'd eaten earlier came up, adding the harsh tang of bile to the chemical cocktail and she coughed and retched more even when her stomach was empty.

She fought for breath and was unable to find any, I'm going to die, she thought, the Americans had used them as bait to draw the enemy to them and then gassed them. She hoped the callous bastards burned in the special ring of hell reserved for traitors and back-stabbers.

Rolled into a ball she coughed more, her eyes unable to open and her throat so constricted that she wondered if she'd asphyxiate first or drown on the thick mucus that streamed from her nose. As a final humiliation, she felt her bowels void and empty themselves into her last clean clothes.

As breath still failed to come, bright lights strobed and lanced across her the back of her eyes.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 404 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 5 Dec 2008
at 18:39
Re: Choking
Mariusz saw the fork in the road and got on the radio again, "Kaptain, we are at the fork, do you want me to loose off some rounds before following?"

He looked around as he awaited orders.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 245 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 6 Dec 2008
at 00:35
Re: Choking
Sitting in the passenger seat of the Honker, Dave listens to the excitment around him, but apparently lost in his own thoughts.

When Jan makes the left turn and everybody gets thrown about the cabin, Dave shoots him a dirty look but says nothing.

Seeing the truck is now the lead vehicle, he automatically starts scanning forward of the truck, taking over "point" duties.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 862 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sat 6 Dec 2008
at 11:52
Kt-I
Thrown about as the heavy truck struggles around the sudden corner, Anneka almost lost her grip on the RPK she'd been trying to bring to bear on their pursuers.
Seeing the stream of glowing projectiles impacting on and around the lead vehicle she quickly changed her priorities to simply hanging on and trying to work out just what had caused the sudden change in direction.
Still looking back, she'd changed her focus to trying to look through the cabin rear window in a vain attempt to see into the cargo bed.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 860 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 6 Dec 2008
at 18:29
Re: Kt-I
"Sunray, roger Mariusz. Fire then link back up with us quick as you can." he replies into the radio mic. With one arm bracing himself on the canvas support bars overhead, he watches to the rear. There was little he could see, but the fact the two rear vehicles were still there suggested to him things were working out. As for where they were heading though.

"We've got no scout at the moment Tuck. Keep a good look out ahead." he says over his shoulder. "Weapons free. You even think it might look like trouble, open fire."

Thinking about the ZU ammo, the team's status, and the enemy pursuers, Bayer toggles the radio once again and says, "Eagle, Sunray. Send Sitrep, over."

This message was last edited by the player at 18:31, Sat 06 Dec 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 405 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 6 Dec 2008
at 18:38
Re: Kt-I
Mariusz aimed at the end of the strange cloud of smoke and fired the MK-19. He played the rounds around a little and then slapped Kasparov's shoulder and pointed down the dirt track.

Mariusz
Mk-19 50/50
Indirect Autofire

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1041 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 6 Dec 2008
at 21:05
Red Sky in the Morning

The Tarpan-Honker, now on point, leads the Ural and the KAMAZ westward along the crushed rock road paralleling the woodline. On the column's right, a burst of flame illuminates a patch of the woods for a moment and, from that point, a ball of fire streaks forth towards the tow-truck. It's flight seems to take several seconds although, in reality, it takes a fraction of that.

About ten meters from the back wheel of the Ural, the rocket detonates with a huge crash and brilliant splash of flames. In the passenger seat of the chilly truck cab, Anneka can feel the warmth of the blast as well as hear the patter of shrapnel bouncing off of the vehicle.

Those looking left, away from the woodline, and back towards the pursuit force, can see the lead vehicle- clearly a BRDM-2- still moving north up the main road, albeit at a much slower pace. The left, front tire is shredding and smoldering but it rolls on, leading the other four trucks of the pursuit force.

Jason successfully reverses course and heads back towards the turn-off. As they near the towering smoke cloud, Mariusz fires a suppressive burst high into the smoke, hoping to at least deter the enemy convoy from continuing the chase. Five grenades leave the barrel and hurl towards where Mariusz hopes the enemy will be. Usually, the recoil of the Mk-19 is manageable, but this time, the bucking automatic grenade launcher seems to break loose from its mounting, almost landing in the startled young man's lap. The last round of the five-round burst flies well wide, detonating in full view off to the right, past the edge of the smoke cloud.

Those among the convoy looking back towards the pursuit force can see a ripple of four flashes around the armored car as the grenades from the Mk-19 nearly find their target.

As Jason turns right on to the track to pull in behind his friends, now several hundred meters ahead of him, both he and Mariuz taste the bitter, stinging bite of the CS gas. Their noses run and their eyes water and both can feel it in their lungs but, fortunately, it was very minor dose and neither man is incapacitated. Somewhat preoccupied, both Jason and Mariusz don't see the smashed crate of three 120mm rounds thrown from the tow-truck near the turn.

The BRDM, wounded and assailed, slows further as it nears the white cloud. The gun in its turret turns towards the fleeing vehicles and hammers out a series of parting shots. Large tracers follow the Ural, and at least two 14.5mm rounds tear into its left, rear tire, instantly tearing it apart.

Walter screams at Anneka, "I'm doing the best I can! Shit! I think we're hit!" He struggles with the wheel as it pulls to the left.

A few muzzle flashes flicker from the darkness under the woods to the north but the convoy is well out of effective small arms range and no harm is done. The firing quickly peters out as the frustrated ambushers realize that they are wasting ammunition. Similarly, the pursuit force remains disciplined and holds their fire. It is now stopped on the road, about 150 meters from the turn.

The party has avoided being ambushed and caught between two enemy forces. Furthermore they have increased their lead over their pursuers. On the other hand, the wounded Ural tow-truck is forced to slow down, cutting the group's speed to an agonizingly slow 25kmph.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:49, Sat 06 Dec 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 246 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 6 Dec 2008
at 21:29
Re: Red Sky at Morning
Dave twists in his seat. trying to swing the M240 to bear to the right at the incoming fire, but before he can twist around, the truck is past the point of origin. He shrugs to himslef, and faces forward again, concentrating on wathing forward.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 406 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 6 Dec 2008
at 21:34
Re: Red Sky at Morning
"Kaptain, this is Mariusz," Mariusz called down the radio, "be advised, my vehicle's main weapon is now usless. From what I can see, the enemy armoured car is still going," he paused to look at the gun truck, "I can't see Dawid or Griet on their gun. Assume it's U/S at present. What are your orders?"

As he waited for a reply he tried to see what had happened to his fellow Poles on the gun truck.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 320 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 6 Dec 2008
at 21:38
Re: Red Sky at Morning
Even doubled up in pain and trying to draw in enough breath to keep alive for a few more seconds, Griet could hear the roar of incoming fire. As she writhed and wretched, she rubbed her eyes to see if she could see Dawid.

Her vision cleared momentarily and she saw Dawid doubled up in agony too. Then the pain in her eyes redoubled and she retreated into her own personal world of misery.

In the back of her mind the mantra of hatred for the ones who had betrayed them continued, stupid Americans, not only did their sly little trick fail to stop their pursuit, it had incapacitated the one weapon capable of evening the fight out. She wondered how these impulsive morons had managed to become the leaders of the free world.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 533 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 7 Dec 2008
at 00:12
Re: Red Sky in the Morning
Konrad Bayer:
"We've got no scout at the moment Tuck. Keep a good look out ahead." he says over his shoulder. "Weapons free. You even think it might look like trouble, open fire."
  "Roger that boss!  I'm on it now," Tucker replies back Bayer as he concentrates his full attention forward since they're now the lead vehicle.

Cap'n Rae:
The Tarpan-Honker, now on point, leads the Ural and the KAMAZ westward along the crushed rock road paralleling the woodline. On the column's right, a burst of flame illuminates a patch of the woods for a moment and, from that point, a ball of fire streaks forth towards the tow-truck. It's flight seems to take several seconds although, in reality, it takes a fraction of that.

The party has avoided being ambushed and caught between two enemy forces. Furthermore they have increased their lead over their pursuers. On the other hand, the wounded Ural tow-truck is forced to slow down, cutting the group's speed to an agonizingly slow 25kmph.

Actions?
Tucker continues to scan the areas to the front and sides sweeping the AGS-17 covering the firing arcs as he searches for targets.

Tucker
AGS-17
Scanning for targets/threats
Jason Kasparov
 player, 349 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sun 7 Dec 2008
at 00:48
Re: Red Sky in the Morning
"SHIT!" Jason yells as the grenade launcher's mount fails and the weapon falls into the sidecar.  "You OK, buddy?" he calls to Mariusz.  Then they pass by the fringe of the gas cloud and catch a bit of the CS.  "*koff* Damn! *koff, koff*"

Blinking his watery eyes in order to clear them, Jason continues following the column at a distance.  Once the wind of passage has blown the effects of the gas out of his eyes and he can see fairly clearly again, he speeds up and passes by the left of the trucks, giving the wavering Ural as wide a berth as possible without running off the side of the road.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 865 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sun 7 Dec 2008
at 02:38
Re: Red Sky in the Morning
Shrapnel bounced from metalwork and tore through canvas, driving home just how exposed and vulnerable the unarmoured truck really was. And then heavy machinegun fire ripped into the rear, somehow missing the hundreds of litres of flammable fuel and tearing apart one of the trucks heavy steelbelted tyres.
Biting back a number of harsh words in multple languages, Anneka nursed her growing collection of bruises and snatched up the radio handset.

"Sunray this is Starlight. Vehicle damaged and must abandon. Over."

Now it was up to others to arrange for the defence of the area while the fuel reserves and anything else they could scavenge quickly were transfered...
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1017 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 7 Dec 2008
at 04:41
Re: Red Sky at Morning
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg #62):

Dawid hacked his lungs out, gasping curses.

"Stupid... motherfucking... cock-sucking... imbeciles..."

He tore off his helmet and balaclava, then washed his streaming eyes out with his canteen, trying to douse the flames.

"Griet... water... use it..."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:24, Sun 07 Dec 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 327 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 7 Dec 2008
at 13:15
Re: Red Sky at Morning
Quyen hangs on, clutching the RPG and her rifle. Over the excitement she had forgotten how cold she was. She wondered if everyone was ok, but kept her mouth shut about the events in the squad carrier.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 408 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 7 Dec 2008
at 15:15
Re: Red Sky at Morning
Mariusz blinked the tears away and coughed harshly, "Balls still intact, thanks. The gun's mount is broken though, I'm calling it in in more detail, get us level with the Honker if you can."

"Kaptain," he said on the radio, "the weapon appears intact, only the mounting is U/S. We can use it if we dismount." he checked the gun truck again, "Dawid is trying to wash his face, I still can't see Griet. We're going to pull up parrallel to you. Is that OK?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 861 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 7 Dec 2008
at 16:58
Re: Red Sky at Morning
Bayer replies to Anneka into the radio, "Sunray, roger. Keep moving until we find cover to inspect the damage and setup a tank hunting party for security. Out."

Looking back towards the rest of the team's vehicles and says, "Roger Mariusz. She didn't fall off did she?" After he said it he wondered if she could have been hit instead, but he left his question as it was.

Aloud he asks, "Where's the heavy tripod?"

Then banging on the cab again to get the driver's attention, he says, "Jan, find us some cover and pull over. Like trees or a farm."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 409 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 7 Dec 2008
at 19:12
Re: Red Sky at Morning
"I didn't see her on the road, Sir, but my eyes were smarting from the gas, must have been an interesting SNAFU, there." he said, mistaking gas grenades for smoke was pretty amateur after all, "I'll pull up by the guntruck and see if she's hiding somewhere. If not, do I have permission to go back and look for her?"
Jan Cerny
 player, 85 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 7 Dec 2008
at 22:20
Re: Red Sky at Morning
Konrad Bayer:
Then banging on the cab again to get the driver's attention, he says, "Jan, find us some cover and pull over. Like trees or a farm."


Jan shouts over the sound of the Honker's engine and the crunch of the gravel under its tires.

"It looks like the road curves to the right up ahead! We'll be headed into the woods soon!"

(NPCed)

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:21, Sun 07 Dec 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 872 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Mon 8 Dec 2008
at 14:10
Re: Red Sky at Morning
"Keep it going Walter," Anneka said calmly to the Pole behind the wheel, glad the darkness hid her deeply furrowed brow from view.
"You're doing great, just a bit further."
The slow progress greatly concerned her, if they didn't pick up speed soon, somehow, the enemy were certain to catch up.
Once again she lent out the window, this time not to seek their pursuers but in an attempt to see just how much damage to trucks suspension had suffered.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1046 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 8 Dec 2008
at 23:08
Into the Woods

October 12, 2000
0430 hrs.
40F
Scattered clouds; full moon
Approximately 8km southwest of Kozienice


The convoy continues down the crushed-rock road, following it as it curves towards the northwest. The road appears to be intended for touring. Seemingly without purpose, it winds its way through copses of bare-limbed trees, around small hills, past a quaint little pond, and over a stream by way of a picturesque stone bridge. Mariusz recognizes this as part of the system of national "wilderness" parks which more or less surround the small city of Kozienice.

When last anyone saw the pursuit force, it was stopped south of the road turn off. Men were struggling to replace the tire of the armored scout car. The lingering cloud of tear gas and colored smoke seemed to be making their task more difficult, buying the party more time.

As the western sky grows brighter, the party enters the wood proper. The trees here grow thicker but there is very little underbrush. Visibility with NVGs is good and the sun will be up in a couple of hours or so. The road continues north-northwest and will likely bypass Kozienice to its west.

Up ahead, off the track to the right and down a small path is a small, solitary cottage. It is the only man-made structure anyone has seen since Zwolen. A small eastern-european car is parked beside it. Various other odds and ends in the "yard" suggest that the cottage is currently occupied although there are no obvious signs of life.

Both Dawid and Griet are recovering their sight and the retching has stopped. It is easier now to breath, but still uncomfortable.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:56, Wed 24 Dec 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 535 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 8 Dec 2008
at 23:28
Re: Into the Woods
Cap'n Rae:
October 12, 2000
0430 hrs.
40F
Scattered clouds; full moon
Approximately 8km southwest of Kozienice

The convoy continues down the crushed-rock road, following it as it curves towards the northwest. The road appears to be intended for touring. Seemingly without purpose, it winds its way through copses of bare-limbed trees, around small hills, past a quaint little pond, and over a stream by way of a picturesque stone bridge. Mariusz recognizes this as part of the system of national "wilderness" parks which more or less surround the small city of Kozienice.

When last anyone saw the pursuit force, it was stopped south of the road turn off. Men were struggling to replace the tire of the armored scout car. The lingering cloud of tear gas and colored smoke seemed to be making their task more difficult, buying the party more time.

As the western sky grows brighter, the party enters the wood proper. The trees here grow thicker but there is very little underbrush. Visibility with NVGs is good and the sun will be up in a couple of hours or so. The road continues north-northwest and will likely bypass Kozienice to its west.

Up ahead, off the track to the right and down a small path is a small, solitary cottage. It is the only man-made structure anyone has seen since Zwolen. A small eastern-european car is parked beside it. Various other odds and ends in the "yard" suggest that the cottage is currently occupied although there are no obvious signs of life. Actions?
Tucker maintains his watch at the front of the convoy as it crosses the stone bridge and approaching the small cottage with a car parked out in front of it.  He keys his mike for the radio, "Knife, all radio units.  We got a structure and a small civilian vehicle ahead of us.  Possibly occupied.  Copy?" Robert swings the AGS-17 to cover the cottage and vehicle as the convoy approaches.

Tucker
AGS-17
Squad Carrier covering cottage and vehicle
Konrad Bayer
 player, 862 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 9 Dec 2008
at 01:22
Re: Into the Woods
Bayer bangs on the cab for Jan to stop. He then climbs over the tailgate and jumps down.

"McCoy, Tucker, Ondar... check the home. Don't kick the door in yet."

"Drivers... inspect your vehicles and report in 5 minutes. Jason, get your ride outfitted with a new weapon."

"Quyen, Mariusz, Milk... go back down the road and setup an OP."

"Doctor... check on the flak gunners, Dawid and Griet."

"Stoner... help where you can."


Bayer loads an HEDP round into his HK69. He'll then collect one of the disposable RPGs and wait around the vehicles. In less than three minutes he figured they'd know their next move - stay and ambush, or leave without the damaged truck.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:26, Tue 09 Dec 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 873 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Tue 9 Dec 2008
at 01:54
Re: Into the Woods
Anneka sprang from the cabin like a coiled spring, leaving the RPK-74 behind and only taking her medical bag. Glancing at the rear of the Kt-I as she passed, she was soon attending to Griet, Dawid and Adam.

"Looks like some idiot gassed you but fortunately you'll all be ok."

Until that moment she hadn't known the cloud was anything more than smoke. Now she was begining to have suspicions that perhaps there was another traitor in their midst - why else would gas have been used to eliminate their most potent defensive weapon?
Of course it could have been purely incompetence, but after Maddock's recent exposure as an enemy agent and Hicks before that, it seemed rather unlikely.

"Is the weapon ok?"

Although occupied with calming Walter while they were underfire, she had noted the short burst of fire from the ZU. There were only two reasons why Dawid would have ceased firing before the targets were destroyed - he'd been overcome by the gas at the first sniff, or the weapon itself had failed somehow.
Sam McCoy
 player, 138 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Tue 9 Dec 2008
at 03:01
Re: Into the Woods
"Odnar take rear man if you please? Tucker take cover man if you please? I will take entry."

Sam slings his rifle to his back and draws the trust H&K Pistol.
Sam also hands his RPG-18 to Konrad.

"On you mark Hauptman we will enter. Tucker I will take the right and the corner then shift to middle. You do the same but on the left. Odnar you come in get out of the funnel and take left center! this good guys???"

Sam
Stacking Up!
H&K

This message was last edited by the player at 05:02, Tue 09 Dec 2008.

Alexei Ondar
 player, 64 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Tue 9 Dec 2008
at 03:03
Re: Into the Woods
Ondar crawls out of the Honker and looks to Milk.

"Let me guess," he shrugs, "Still no pistol?"

The deserter shoulders his rifle and moves out.  He quietly circles around to the north side of the structure, looking for any signs of life or recent occupancy.



[Ondar]
North of the cottage
SVU-AS (10/10)
Sweeping the area

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1022 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 9 Dec 2008
at 03:44
Re: Into the Woods
In reply to Anneka Soleblume (msg #76):

Eyes still streaming freely, Dawid blew out strings of mucus from his nose.

"Ah... how pleasant."

He wiped his face on a clean cloth that Anneka passed to him. With some effort he gathered his thoughts.

"The gun? Got a few nice hits on the lead vehicle. Don't know if it stopped or not. Piece of shit gun jammed. I'll have a look at it later. Then some fucker let off riot gas and.... Fuck. Could have been a canister launched from one of our pursers, I suppose."

"Still, we are alive, always a commendable state! No rest for the wicked."


Mustering a weak chuckle he looked around, noted the figures moving towards the farmhouse. He raised his eyebrows quizzically, but said nothing. If the people there weren't halfway to Poznań by now, they certainly wouldn't open the door for love nor money.

As the effects of the gas had primarily worn off, through sheer force of will Dawid got his ass in gear moved down the line of vehicles, visually checking to see what was going on, if there was damage. Curious about the condition of the mortar he looked at the bullet holes and shredded tires on the Ural and clucked disappointedly at the lost mortar shells, then quickly moved on to the sheared bracket on the Motorcycle. He smiled and shook his head, but didn't say anything.

With a grunt he lifted the Mk. 19 to his shoulder and staggered back to the Kazan.

Wheezing as he reached the truck he put the Mk. 19 in the back. Then grabbed the RPK-74 and ammo pouches, transferring them to the motorcycle. On his way back to the Kazan he pulled the mount for the Mk. 19 to set up the grenade launcher to fire to the rear.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:00, Wed 10 Dec 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 328 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 9 Dec 2008
at 14:18
Re: Into the Woods
"Hey man, lets go." Quyen says to Mariusz in the darkness. "I've got a RPG here and a reload." Letting Mariusz and Milk take the lead, Quyen follows behind with the launcher resting on her shoulder.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 410 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 9 Dec 2008
at 18:30
Re: Into the Woods
"OK," Mariusz agreed, he unslung his G3 and trotted forward, using the night vision goggles he still wore to search out a suitable OP.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 322 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 9 Dec 2008
at 18:55
Re: Into the Woods
Griet finally managed to breath again when the gun truck rumbled to a halt. She looked up and saw the vomit coating her jacket and felt the cold wetness in her pants. She couldn't smell anything yet. That, she decided, was probably a good thing.

She looked in her pack and brought out the last of her clothes, there wasn't much left now after getting through her second set of the night. All that was left was her PT kit and an old navy sweater. She stripped off her soiled clothing and shivered violently as she put on the running shorts and T-shirt. The man's sweater came nearly to her knees and she hitched it up slightly with her combat webbing, she spent a few moments scraping the last vestiges of sick from her webbing and then pulled her boots back on.

She looked around blearily and saw Dawid moving off to inspect the other vehicles. She turned around and checked her AKSU, she rested it on her lap and waited for her vision to clear some more. The Americans obviously thought she was expendable so stuff their vehicles.

She blinked more tears away and hugged herself, trying to ease the horrible ache of her ribs and chest. She was tired, gassed and bitter and reaching the limits of her mental endurance, her physical limits had been reached so long ago that she couldn't remember when she'd last felt rested.

As she saw Anneka approaching she said snappily, "Do you have any idea who's brilliant plan it was to gas us?"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 536 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 10 Dec 2008
at 00:01
Re: Into the Woods
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer bangs on the cab for Jan to stop. He then climbs over the tailgate and jumps down.

<Blue>"McCoy, Tucker, Ondar... check the home. Don't kick the door in yet."
Tucker hops down from the squad carrier and draws his Browning HP from it's holster on his MOLLE rig.  "On it boss," Robert moves away from the vehicle and advances towards the structure with Sam and Ondar.

Sam McCoy:
"Odnar take rear man if you please? Tucker take cover man if you please? I will take entry."

Sam slings his rifle to his back and draws the trust H&K Pistol.
Sam also hands his RPG-18 to Konrad.

"On you mark Hauptman we will enter. Tucker I will take the right and the corner then shift to middle. You do the same but on the left. Odnar you come in get out of the funnel and take left center! this good guys???"
Setting himself to the left of the door opposite Sam. He nods to Sam that he understands his orders and brings his Browning pistol to a low-ready keeping the safety on just until before he enters behind Sam.

Tucker
Browniung HP [13/13]
Stacking at door {left side entry}
Jason Kasparov
 player, 351 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Wed 10 Dec 2008
at 00:40
Re: Into the Woods
Jason examines the weapon mount on the sidecar.  If the damage is limited to whatever addition Hicks had made, he might be able remove said addition, leaving the original mount able to support a smaller weapon as designed.  If, however, the original mount is damaged as well, someone with more skill as a machinist than he would have to see about fixing it.

Hearing Dawid wheezing as he takes the Mk-19, Jason says, "Sounds like you caught more of that tear gas than I did.  You feeling okay?  How's everybody else?"
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 874 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Wed 10 Dec 2008
at 03:02
Re: Into the Woods
Griet Niewiadomska:
As she saw Anneka approaching she said snappily, "Do you have any idea who's brilliant plan it was to gas us?"

The look of disgust on her face showed she shared Griets anger.
"Had to be somebody in the Honker. I'll have a word with the Hauptman as soon as I can."

She mentally ran down the list of possibilities. Her first choice was Ondar, the Russian, but he'd been thoughly searched and nothing of the sort found on him.
Jan was also high up on the list, but as he'd been busy driving at the time and as he didn't possess a couple of extra hands (though some ladies might disagree), she felt confident she could rule him out.
Stoner for some reason she trusted implictly. He'd done far more than was required of him to keep them all safe, risking his own life in the freezing water to destroy the tank back on the river.

Likewise Tucker seemed an unlikely candidate. As one of the few original members of the unit, he'd had plenty of opportunities to betray them all. His performance at critical times however had shown him to be trustworthy.
Milk had Reset to keep safe so she could eliminate him and Minh, like Tucker, had proven herself time and again.

That left just McCoy, the surly sniper so very recently come into their company (but vouched for by Milk) and Hauptman Bayer himself.
A week ago she'd have considered him a prime candidate. The only people following the honker were four Poles and a Jew and it was common knowledge there was no love lost between them and Germans, but his actions and leadership indicated that was perhaps a view held by his grandparents generation. Bayer himself seemed fair minded and compassionate, not to mention aware of just how much the unit as a whole needed the skills of those gassed...

"You'd better get my spare trousers from my pack. They'll probably be a bit short, but have to be better than those things."
Gym clothes were all well and good in the summer, but with snow falling regularly Griet would soon be suffering from exposure.
"Your blanket or sleeping bag should help too once we're moving again."
Sam McCoy
 player, 139 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Wed 10 Dec 2008
at 03:24
Re: Into the Woods
" Hauptmann Did the pole boy tell us this was hostile or good guy area...what I 'm try to get to is do you want me too do a knock and talk or a kick a clear here on this house."

"what do you want me too do"


Sam
H&K
Talking

This message was last edited by the player at 06:52, Wed 10 Dec 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 863 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 10 Dec 2008
at 06:20
Re: Into the Woods
Bayer wanders over a few meters towards the house. "No. He didn't." he replies to McCoy. "See if there is a response... if anyone is home. If not, then try the door and go in." He was mostly concerned about any potential threat that may be inside while the group sorted themselves and the vehicles out - without kicking in the door and forcing a frightened civilian (if it wasn't abandoned) into a shootout.
Sam McCoy
 player, 140 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Wed 10 Dec 2008
at 06:52
Re: Into the Woods
"Going in Hauptmann.... Ok Team Here we go."

In Polish sam in a calm voice calls out from the side of the house; not in front of the door.

" We come in peace...we are hurt and need help. We will trade for your help."

Sam will say this three times and await a response.....




Sam
H&K
Talking

This message was last edited by the player at 06:53, Wed 10 Dec 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1024 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 10 Dec 2008
at 06:55
Re: Into the Woods
Seeing Bayer and company were occupied and thinking that wasn't such a bad thing, Dawid hopped up into the cab of the idling Kazan.

Making sure Adam wasn't beneath the undercarriage, he engaged the clutch and put it into gear, carefully moving it up beside the Ural to more easily transfer weapons and gear.

Getting out he asked Adam and Walter to assist him in moving the mortar, ammunition and other supplies from the Ural to the Kazan. It should be easy to accomplish, as the beds were more or less even, and the side panels of the KAZAN folded down for easier access.

"Adam, Walter, please help me transfer over everything we can."

He then got Anneka and Griet, speaking earnestly.

"Major, Griet, if you please, transfer the fuel from the Ural's tank to the trailer. We have little time, so let's make the best use of it."

He gave them a length of hose, explaining how to steal gas, if they didn't already know how. The then climbed up on he Ural's tailgate to begin transferring over the mortar tube, bipod, base and carriage.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:59, Wed 10 Dec 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 875 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Wed 10 Dec 2008
at 09:55
Re: Into the Woods
Her medical duties complete, Anneka nodded acknowledgement to Dawid and proceeded with draining the Urals tank back into the trailer. Although it was unlikely they'd be able to get it all, every litre they salvaged was another half mile down the road.
"We'll hook the trailer behind the gun truck I think."
It only made sense since the T-H was far more likely to get in harm way.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1025 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 10 Dec 2008
at 10:18
Re: Into the Woods
In reply to Anneka Soleblume (msg #90):

"Thank you, Major. Also, perhaps see if you can rig a quick-release we can pull from inside the bed? If we leave the trailer behind and then shoot it with the grenade launcher or incendiary rounds or a rocket..."

Dawid gave her a feral grin, then looked over at Griet, noticing how fagged-out she seemed.

"My friend, have strength. I think we Poles have suffered more than others in this war we didn't start, yet somehow we must all find the strength to carry on, to fight. Never surrender, even if it's only to yourself, yes? Do it for your father and mother, do it for the freedom of the people of Warszawa or the people of Poland, even do it so that Mariusz grows up with a book in his hand, and not a gun. Whatever works, just do it, because in the end that's all we can do."

He clapped her on the shoulder, then when he hopped up in the bed of the truck tossed down his spare pair of fatigue pants to put on over her shorts. "Here, wear these in good health!"

This message was last edited by the player at 12:17, Wed 10 Dec 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 248 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 10 Dec 2008
at 12:02
Re: Into the Woods
Before the house nreakers set up, Dave approaches McCoy. I'll cover the back door. Yell if you come out that way". He hurries arounf the cottage to the back yard and kneels. He picks a spot where if he has to fire, any missed rounds will head awayfrom the house and any friendlies.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 324 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 10 Dec 2008
at 18:27
Re: Into the Woods
"Thanks," Griet said quietly to both Anneka and Griet, she was too tired to respond much even to the kindness of her companions, "I'll layer them if you don't mind, I'm freezing."

She pulled the two pairs of trousers on and then secured them so she wouldn't get tangled. She shambled over to the URAL and got out her rubber hose, "I'll do the siphoning, a mouthful of fuel might be better than the taste in my mouth right now."

She started siphoning the fuel from the URAL's tank and into the trailer.
Sam McCoy
 player, 141 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Thu 11 Dec 2008
at 20:34
Re: Into the Woods
"Got it brother you take up rear entry"



Sam
H&K
Talking
Konrad Bayer
 player, 864 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 12 Dec 2008
at 15:51
Re: Into the Woods
"If there is no reply, go inside McCoy. If there happens to be someone in there just make sure they aren't a threat."

Bayer turns from the security team and calls over, "Drivers. Where's that vehicle report? What is the transportation situation?"
Sam McCoy
 player, 142 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Fri 12 Dec 2008
at 20:09
Re: Into the Woods
"got you Boss"



Sam
H&K
Talking
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 194 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Fri 12 Dec 2008
at 20:22
Re: Into the Woods

Milk follows Minh and Mariusz towards a suitable OP overlooking the road on which they'd just come down. He helps find a good spot, one with maximum cover and concealment and with a good view down the road. The sooner they spotted a pursuit force, the more time they'd have to respond.

Hunkering down, he whispers to Mariusz- the only one among them equipped with NVGs,

"What do you see, soldier?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1049 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 13 Dec 2008
at 02:03
Strangers in the Night

The muffled voice of a man filters through the closed door in response to Sam's querry.

"I can't help you. Go away! I have a gun and I know how to use it. There's a still in the back. Take as much meth as you like and bugger off! Set one foot inside and I'll send you straight to hell! That's your only warning! Now get lost!"

Stoner, covering the back of the cottage, can't hear the occupants' reply but he can clearly see a small still among various other odds and ends- a truck axle, an old refrigerator, a wheelbarrow, and some other things unidentifiable in the darkness- littering a small clearing that passes for the cottage's back yard.

Dawid, weezing after loading the Mk-19 (now on its tripod) into the bed of the KAMAZ, supervises the transfer of the mortar, its ammunition, and the fuel trailer from the damaged Ural to the gun-truck. The big 6x6 is capable of carrying it all but at a price. It will be difficult, if not impossible to employ any of the heavy-hitting weapons with the bed so loaded. They crew will have to rely on small arms for their protection now.

Jason, meanwhile, examines the mount on the sidecar to ascertain the cause of the AGL "malfunction" back at the road junction. On closer inspection, it appears that the mount's welded brackets have been badly bent- almost sheared off- by the large AGL's recoil. I can be repaired but it will require materials and welding equipment not currently available. In the interim, a PKM or similar weapon can be used by the passenger by resting it on the nose of the sidecar via its bipod.

A couple of hundred meters to the south, the OP team hears the thrum of truck engines in the distance. Slowly but surely, the sound grows louder. It appears the pursuit force is more dogged than hoped for and is continuing the chase.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:34, Sat 13 Dec 2008.

Sam McCoy
 player, 144 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sat 13 Dec 2008
at 03:22
Re: Strangers in the Night
To Villager:
"(in Polish) I respect you and your area; I will leave now my Polish friend. Thanks. I leave as I came- in peace."


To Konrad
"Boss we got a still here! Going to check on if its on a trailer. Get the tire off the truck; don't worry about ditching the truck it will run at speed without it. Just get the tire off. Also, get the squad carrier ready so we can run the fuck out of here."

As Sam moves he talks

To Group
"Let's hurry people! We are on a time line. Stoner, do a still check and tell me if it's on a trailer. Tucker, you an Ondar get the tire off and get the truck ready. It will unbolt easy with it blown. Just ditch it and get ready to move."

To David
"David, get the gun ready and post the gun truck over (pointing toward the side of the road in cover) there ready to move in a ambush position. Have the ass facing the way we came to give them some love. I need you, Pole. If you and me are to get to the free Polish you will now have to move and fight like a tiger for Poland."

To Walter
"Walter, help get the tire off and then, if I call, get the truck over here. We might have a still for you to tow."

To Jason
"Hey, we need you to get the motorcycle on point ready to get us out of here. Cover our front 180 with your MG. Get the PKM mounted and ready to roll."<Blue>


To Ann and Konrad
<Blue>"Hey, I have been selfish in not being the Platoon Sergeant and SF team leader I have been in the past. I did not know you and did not want to give out love but now that I 'm  with you I will give 100% to the group now, not just as a sniper out for myself but foe the group."

"The truck you have Major will run just fine missing the tire. Let's not unhook shit yet. It will take a long time and also leave us with our tits out. Let's get the trucks in formation minus the gun truck so it can cover our ambush team and get ready to roll. The tire rip off takes 60 seconds these tires are made to come off quick for shit just like this."

"We must work fast and you need a platoon sergeant to get the little shit done  while you make bigger plans. I would counsel now for you, Hauptmann, and you, Major, to get off to the side and make a plan while I take care of this and we can get the fuck out of here."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:16, Sat 13 Dec 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 249 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 13 Dec 2008
at 04:46
Re: Strangers in the Night
Dave rises to his feet and looks around the smallish back yard with his borrowed NVGs. Seeing the truck axel gives him an idea, he makes a quick search of the yard for a wheel that might fit the tow truck. He also checks out the still, looking for any containers with ready made alchohol.

"No trailer for the still. It's just a rinky dink thing any way, checkeing for alcohol now."
Sam McCoy
 player, 146 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sat 13 Dec 2008
at 05:28
Re: Strangers in the Night
"Roger Stoner. When done, come and help David with the gun truck. Konrad has my RPG-18. Take it and post up with David- he will need your help, warrior."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:10, Sat 13 Dec 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 325 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 13 Dec 2008
at 11:51
Re: Strangers in the Night
After draining the URAL of fuel and loading the equipment onto the back of the gun truck, Griet picked up the RPK and settled herself into a position between the kit where she could fire backward and to the side. She listened to McCoy's orders and looked confusedly at the Major and Dawid, "Major, Dawid, do you want us to transfer everything back to the URAL and set up an ambush before the pursuit comes,or do we just run?"
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 411 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 13 Dec 2008
at 11:52
Re: Strangers in the Night
Mariusz scanned the area and replied, "I can't see anything but I hear heavy truck engines not too far off. I think we need to, how do you Americans say it? Di di mau?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1032 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 13 Dec 2008
at 16:34
Re: Strangers in the Night
In reply to Sam McCoy (msg #99):

Dawid looked bemused at Sam's suggestion.

"Well, thank you for volunteering to man the 23mm guns! Excellent! Very brave of you! To warn you, they jammed just before some syphilitic mother and uncle fucker gassed us back there. And they are a death trap in a stand-up fight. Poor Wiktor got shot off them, he was before your time, brave man, didn't end well, take my word for it. It is good you have decided to fight for Poland, there is hope yet! Just when I think all foreigners want to either fuck us over or use us as cannon fodder, you know, fight the enemy to the last Polish life..."

He clapped Sam on the shoulder in camaraderie, then looked at Konrad and Anneka.

" We should fight. They won't give up if they haven't already, we have no fucking lead, and they know what road we are on so there will be road blocks ahead. I will unship the mortar, it is the best weapon we have. Will take a minute to set up. Or the 40mm machine grenade gun."

"If we don't fight, I am fucking leaving in the Kamaz in about 10 seconds from now. Anyone wants to come along, that is great! We are ready to move now.


He checked his watch, obviously timing the answers.

"Either way, lets warn people to have their gas masks handy because I think those cocksuckers nailed us with a riot gas canister, could be bad if they have another."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:16, Sat 13 Dec 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 412 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 13 Dec 2008
at 19:32
Re: Strangers in the Night
As Mariusz started to back up toward the vehicles, he said to Milk, "It might be time to use an old trick we used in the Partisans, Brother Switek said we stole it from the Germans in WW2. Give Minh one of the disposable RPGs and her engineer's kit. Send her to find a good spot somewhere down the track, as we catch her up, she wires the RPG to a tree pointing it across the track about one and a half meters up. After we've passed, she can rig up a trip wire across the track. With luck, the RPG will get a side shot on the armoured car. If not, it might slow them down."

Mariusz looked into the dark and continued, "Further up the track we lay down some of our tin plates. If they spot them, it'll delay them as they find out it's a trick. The second time, Minh will have had time to set up dynamite charges on booby trap fuses, if they ignore them, we might get a tire or two, or kill the odd soldier. The more we can hurt them, the more we buy ourselves time to escape. Is the plan worth suggesting to the Kaptien?"
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 195 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Sat 13 Dec 2008
at 20:09
Re: Strangers in the Night

Clarence listened to Mariusz's ideas with interest. The young partisan was wise beyond his years and his tactical sense matched well with that of the seasoned Green Beret warrant officer.

"Yeah, I like it. I've never seen the RPG trick work but it's worth a shot. As for the fake mines, I think Minh may have a real one too. Stay put. I'm going to go tell Konrad that we're going to be having company soon. I'll be right back."

Clarence cursed himself for not having grabbed one of the hand-held tac radios on the way to the OP. He'd make sure to take one on the way back.

On the way back, he stopped by Minh's position, just a few meters away.

"Minh, you got an AT mine? We might want to leave a couple surprises for our new friends."

After Minh responds, Milk runs back to the traffic jam on the road in front of the cottage. Finding Konrad and Anneka (and anyone else close enough to hear), he briefs them on the situation.

"We got company. Engine noises headin' this way. Are we runnin' or fightin'? I'd recommend the former but it's your call. They deploy their infantry in these woods, we're gonna have a hell of a time holdin' 'em off. We have just time to rig a couple booby traps and beat feet. Orders?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:08, Thu 02 July 2009.

Sam McCoy
 player, 148 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sat 13 Dec 2008
at 20:49
Re: Strangers in the Night
"I'm with you, Milk. We should beat feet but we need to set local security and support Milk in the delay. That's why I wanted you to post David- not to fight to the death but be local security. Konrad, issue the order. I will unfuck the convoy and Milk can set your delay."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:53, Sat 13 Dec 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1033 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 13 Dec 2008
at 23:56
Re: Strangers in the Night
quote:
"We got company. Engine noises headin' this way. Are we runnin' or fightin'? I'd recommend the latter but it's your call. They deploy their infantry in these woods, we're gonna have a hell of a time holdin' 'em off. We have just time to rig a couple booby traps and beat feet. Orders?"


Remembering what Clarence said, Dawid corrected McCoy, not unkindly.

"No my friend, our friend Clarence here recommended fighting, not running, and I agree."

"We will not outrun them now. We had 2 chances already to increase our lead and we blew it. Acknowledge reality. Remember, we don't have to kill them all, just destroy their transportation."


The last part was addressed to the group, not just McCoy.

"Okay, time's about up. Clarence is for fighting, so am I."

He also called over to Jason, "McCoy didn't know this, but you already have the RPK-74 light machinegun, so don't worry about the PKM."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:36, Sun 14 Dec 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 537 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 14 Dec 2008
at 04:18
Re: Strangers in the Night
Sam McCoy:
To Villager:
"(in Polish) I respect you and your area; I will leave now my Polish friend. Thanks. I leave as I came- in peace."

To Konrad
"Boss we got a still here! Going to check on if its on a trailer. Get the tire off the truck; don't worry about ditching the truck it will run at speed without it. Just get the tire off. Also, get the squad carrier ready so we can run the fuck out of here."

As Sam moves he talks; To Group
"Let's hurry people! We are on a time line. Stoner, do a still check and tell me if it's on a trailer. Tucker, you an Ondar get the tire off and get the truck ready. It will unbolt easy with it blown. Just ditch it and get ready to move."
Tucker safes and holsters up his Browning HP and moves over with Ondar to get the tire off the truck so they can move out of here quickly.  "Ditch it and get ready to move, roger that McCoy," Tucker tells him as he waves over to Ondar so they can get started on their task.

Tucker
Holstered Browning HP
Removing tire from truck with Ondar
Sam McCoy
 player, 150 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 14 Dec 2008
at 05:41
Re: Strangers in the Night
"Well, Milk, I say run- we don't have the strength to fight and we must flow like water."

"But it's up to the boss. You have my opinion, now I must go work."


Sam moves to help with tire.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:29, Sun 14 Dec 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1036 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 14 Dec 2008
at 06:32
Re: Strangers in the Night
Sam McCoy:
" Well MIlk I say run we dont have the str to fight and we must flow like water."

"But it's up to the boss you have my opinion now i must go work"


"Running like frightened rabbits won't solve our problems, Sam, not this time."

He turned back to Anneka and Konrad.
Sam McCoy
 player, 151 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 14 Dec 2008
at 07:56
Re: Strangers in the Night
"Like I said thats your opinion. Now I must work."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:30, Sun 14 Dec 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1037 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 14 Dec 2008
at 10:16
Re: Strangers in the Night
In reply to Sam McCoy (msg #112):

Dawid laughed, clearly amused.

"Ha ha! Yes! It is gratifying you take my opinion so seriously, I shall respect yours in the same manner!"

"And as for whether you yourself are willing to fight not just for America but for Poland too, well, I guess no answer is still an answer, yes? Thank you! You are an honest man and that is a rare thing these days, Sam."


It was a rhetorical question, he understood where the other man's interests really lay.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:46, Sun 14 Dec 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 329 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 14 Dec 2008
at 10:43
Re: Strangers in the Night
Griet worked the nuts on the wrecked tire loose and then worked them off. That done she pulled the tire and rim off the axel and quickly replaced the nuts.

Once she'd finished she moved back over to the gun truck.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 353 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sun 14 Dec 2008
at 16:39
Re: Strangers in the Night
Seeing the mount needs more extensive repairs than can be accomplished here and now, Jason picks up the RPK-74 left behind by Dawid and unfolds the bipod.  He sets the machine gun down on the front of the sidecar with the stock and trigger group extending over the seat opening.  It will be a little awkward for Mariusz to use the weapon, but having some use from it is much better than none.
Sam McCoy
 player, 152 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 14 Dec 2008
at 19:50
Re: Strangers in the Night
"Remember, David, I was fighting for a free Poland before the war started when you were still in school and I was behind the lines for the last 4 years forming the Free Polish units and fighting with them; they know and respect me well."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:31, Sun 14 Dec 2008.

Clarence Milk
 NPC, 195 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Sun 14 Dec 2008
at 20:37
Re: Strangers in the Night
Clarence waves his hand.

"No, no. I didn't make myself clear. I recommend we run. Let us set up a couple of booby traps and then get the hell outta here. They probably have 50 or 60 infantry and if they have a chance to deploy before we get movin', we'll be in a world of shit.

Listen people, we're fightin' for our lives right now. Bickerin' about whose cause is more noble is a waste of time and we ain't got much time to waste. We need to work together, not play 'my cock is bigger than yours'. Come on, people!"


Turning to Bayer, he adds,

"You have my recommendation, Hauptman. Your orders, sir?"

This message was last edited by the player at 01:47, Tue 16 Dec 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 413 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 14 Dec 2008
at 21:15
Re: Strangers in the Night
Mariusz walked slowly backward toward the vehicles, he kept his ears alert for the pursuit and used the goggles to look for any nasty little surprises the Communist lackeys might be trying to hatch.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 67 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Sun 14 Dec 2008
at 21:46
Re: Strangers in the Night
Beat to the punch by Griet, Ondar stands overwatch at the rear of the KAMAZ while Tucker and the Captain's daughter work their magic with the lug wrench.



[Ondar]
At the rear of the KAMAZ
SVU-AS (10/10)
Guarding

This message was last edited by the player at 21:50, Sun 14 Dec 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1038 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 15 Dec 2008
at 06:32
Re: Strangers in the Night
In reply to Clarence Milk (msg #117):

Dawid looked impressed by McCoy's claim.

"How impressive! Whatever you have done for us is deeply appreciated by the Polish people,  I'm sure. No doubt you will get a medal for your service, while I deserve only an unmarked grave."

"No one bickers here, Clarence."

"The facts are the force from Kozienice is ahead of us, they know we are on this road. They have already set one ambush, but are they not capable of setting another ambush, this time with felled trees across the road and whatnot? Then we will have to deal with the dismounted infantry flanking from behind, never fear.  I still say we should at least shoot up the transports, then take off before we are flanked by infantry. Take the still, leave whatever we have in trade for it. I have some gold, cigarettes, probably not enough on my own."


He laughed in a self-depreciating manner.

"But, I too often rely on blind luck. Whichever, I have things to do to get ready."

Dawid went over to the Tarpan-Honker and pulled out the metal ammo box containing the 40mm HVHEDP. He walked over to the STAR and reloaded the Mk.19 with anti-armour. While there he tried to clear at least one barrel of the 23mm for action. Although the Mk.19 was superior for anti-armour, it never hurt to prepare for contingencies.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:50, Mon 15 Dec 2008.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 866 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 15 Dec 2008
at 11:49
Re: Strangers in the Night
"Pull out. Withdraw. Forget the still." Bayer replies. "If that truck will slow us, leave it. Rip out some wires... don't waste explosives"

 "Jason... Mariusz, you will screen the main body. Engage them, try to get them to stop and deploy, then catch up with us. We'll stop at a bottleneck and set up a proper ambush to cut the pursuit then."

"Milk, if you and Quyen have a mine, set it up. Don't need to be buried. But we leave now."

Motioning to the vehicles, Bayer says to everyone else "Mount up now. Quickly."
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 884 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Mon 15 Dec 2008
at 12:27
Re: Strangers in the Night
Anneka threw her medical bag into the cab of the Star then ran back to her previous ride to collect her RPK-74 and pack. Fortunately she didn't need to carry it very far, just down to ground level to wait for Adam to come alongside.
"Oh, one more moment!" she exclaimed, clambering back into the tow trucks cab after heaving her pack aboard the Star.
"Nearly forgot the radio!"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1042 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 15 Dec 2008
at 12:51
Re: Strangers in the Night
Hearing Konrad's recommendation, Dawid looked concerned.

"Kapitan, please, we can't send the boy to help delay the pursuit. We need a real soldier, one of the best. Someone who knows his stuff! I am not talking through my hat, you know as a Motor Rifleman and machinegun won't evev slow them down, we will need an RPG to do the job. McCoy is probably a lot skilled with an RPG than I or even Mariusz. We also need another experienced gunner in the rear truck."

"Let's please try this:"





Scout Motorcycle...
Driver - Kasparov (Vehicle Commander, NVGs)
Passenger/Gunner - McCoy (NVGs/Radio/RPK-74)
(RPG-16 or 2x RPG-18 and RPG-76)

Squad Carrier...Nothing towed
Driver - Cerny (NVGs)
Passenger/GP Gunner - Stoner (Light Duty) (NVGs)
Gunner Standing- Tucker (Vehicle Commander, NVGs/Radio)
Dismounts - Tokarski, Milk, Nguyen, Bayer (Unit 2IC, Dismount Leader, NVGs/Radio)
(AGS-17 on roll bar pintle mount, M240 GPMG on bonnet.)


Tow Truck...With Fuel Trailer
Driver - Walter (NVGs)
Passengers Front - Solleblume (Unit OC, 20x Night Glasses/Radio)


23mm Flak Truck...Nothing towed
Driver - Adam (NVGs)
Gunner Rear - Piotrowski (Vehicle Commander, NVGs/Radio)
Assistant Gunner/Spotters- Griet, Ondar
(PKM GPMG, Mk.19/HVHEDP)




"Major, Kapitan, somebody! I beg you, let's not stand and argue, let's just do this and get moving."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:53, Mon 15 Dec 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 415 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 15 Dec 2008
at 18:50
Re: Strangers in the Night
Mariusz was confused by the discussions going on and decided to do as the Kapiten had instructed him until he recieved countermanding orders from Bayer himself.

Quickly he grabbed a few spare magazines for the RPK-74 and put them into the ammunition box, he carried a spare can of 40mm ammo to the gun truck and picked up the two Soviet Airborne rocket launchers.

He returned to the motorbike and strapped one to the sidecar, keeping the other handy. He waited at the sidecar and said, "Kapiten, I'm ready to go if you want me to, are Kasparov and I clear to start the screening operation?"


Mariusz
Loading Motorbike
RPK-74 40/40 (1 spare 40 round mag and 2 spare 30 round)
RPG-18 x 2
Personal weapons

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 331 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 15 Dec 2008
at 18:53
Re: Strangers in the Night
Griet jumped back onto the bed of the Star and looked at the Zoo-2. She looked for the quickest wat to unjam the gun.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1061 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 16 Dec 2008
at 02:16
Stick and Move

With Konrad's orders deciding the various points of debate, Clarence, carrying Minh's heavy AT mine*, runs back towards Minh, standing guard alone near the road a couple of hundred meters to the south. Milk quickly clears crushed rock from one of the compacted wheel tracks in the road and lays the mine in place. Arming it, he burshes rocks and dust over the mine, doing his best to camoflage it. The sound of the approaching enemy force is much louder now. Running in to the woods, Clarence collects Minh and the pair hustle back to the waiting vehicles.

With an RPK-74 replacing the Mk-19 that had been mounted on the sidecar, Jason and Mariusz mount the trike and drive about 100m back down the road in order to set up an ambush.

Griet, having removed the Ural's shredded tire with Adam's help, is dismayed to learn that the truck is to be abandoned. She dutifully opens the truck's bonnet, finds a handful of important electrical wires, and is about to start tearing them out when Sam stops her.

"We're taking this truck."

He slides behind the wheel and fires up the engine, falling into formation behind the Tarpan-Honker.

Leaving the small still and its meager contents, the rest of the team- including the recently arrived Milk and Minh- take their places in the three vehicles and the convoy heads out to the north, no doubt to the cottage occupant's great relief.

Through their NVGs, Mariusz and Jason can see the enemy convoy, led by the BRDM, enter the wood and continue towards the mine, placed just over 100m away. Hopefully, in a few seconds, the lead enemy vehicle will drive right over it, triggering a short but violent two-man ambush designed to delay the enemy force and buy more time for the others. If it works, the party just might shake their pursuers. If it doesn't, the party may lose two of its own...

Actions?

OOC: *On his way back to warn the others of the approaching enemy force, Minh (whose player is MIA) had told Clarence where to find the AT mine she'd been lugging around for weeks.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:42, Tue 16 Dec 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 354 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Tue 16 Dec 2008
at 04:19
Re: Stick and Move
At the edge of the trees with the motorcycle pointed up the road and idling between his legs, Jason swaps an HEDP grenade for the HE loaded in his M203.  He raises the Austeyr to aim the underslung grenade launcher at the BRDM and waits for the armored car to hit the mine.  Unless something else happens first...

"All set, młodszy brat?" he says to Mariusz.  "Wait for it...  Wait for it..."
Sam McCoy
 player, 155 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Tue 16 Dec 2008
at 06:56
Re: Stick and Move
"Now that we dont have a trailer we will maintain speed and at the next stop put on the spare!"

"Odnar ride with me and the and grab the PKM. You and Walter can use it to cover our ass. Its in the Gun truck it will free up space for the Pole and his toy. Walter grab the ammo for it you can a-gun for him."


"Lets move fuckers we dont wont to get lost and left here."

"Well Major you get to ride with me . Now I can tell you storys and half truths about what I can and cannot do. You can get that interview you always wanted."




OOC


Scout Motorcycle...
Driver - Kasparov (NVGs)
Passenger/Gunner - Tokarski (NVGs/Radio/RPK-74)
(2x RPG-18)


Squad Carrier...Nothing towed
Driver - Cerny (NVGs)
Bayer(NVGs/Radio)(Rear Passanger side)
Passenger/GP Gunner/Shotgun -Stoner (Light Duty) (NVGs) M240 GPMG on bonnet
Gunner Standing- Tucker (NVGs/Radio)(AGS-17 on roll bar pintle mount)
Dismount - Milk (Rear Driver side) RPG-76


Tow Truck...Nothing towed
Driver - Sam McCoy (NVGs)
Passengers Front - Solleblume (20x Night Glasses/Radio)
Passanger Rear/Loader- Walter
Passanger Rear/Gunner- Ondar (PKM GPMG)


23mm Flak Truck...With Fuel Trailer
Driver - Adam (NVGs)
Shotgun- Nguyen  RPG-16
Gunner Rear - Piotrowski (Vehicle Commander, NVGs/Radio)
Assistant Gunner Griet,(Mk.19 MOD3)

This message was last edited by the player at 07:15, Tue 16 Dec 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1045 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 16 Dec 2008
at 07:15
Re: Stick and Move
Looking at Jason and Mariusz riding off to their deaths, he shook his head and unhitched the tank trailer from the Star 266.

"Sending the helicopter pilot and the untrained boy to delay a motor platoon with hand rockets, bloody typical."

Dawid stopped Ondar from taking his PKM. "Sorry, if McCoy wants my machinegun he can ask me himself, we've been together a long time."

Getting in the truck, Dawid set up the PKM opposite the Mk.19 AGL. The 23mm was likely fucked until they could disassemble it, no need to waste time.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:57, Fri 19 Dec 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 888 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Tue 16 Dec 2008
at 09:07
Re: Stick and Move
"Nobody rides on the tow truck!" Major Anneka Soleblume bellowed as conflicting orders were given putting the lives of everyone at risk.
"If McCoy wants to try driving a vehicle without fuel, then he's doing it alone!"
Having spent a large proportion of her time at this halt draining the fuel back into the tank now hooked onto the back of the Star, she was extremely confident that anyone foolish enough to ride on the Kt-I would very quickly be caught as the fuel starved truck ground to a halt.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 867 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 16 Dec 2008
at 15:50
Re: Stick and Move
"God dammit!" Bayer curses angrily.

Waving to Adam he says, "Follow close behind." Grabbing hold of Jan he says, "We're gone. Anyone staying to argue can to it with the enemy."

After ensuring he is the last needing to load up, he closes the tailgate of the squad carrier and climbs aboard. "Tuck... Stoner... shoot at anything that moves."

"Jan!"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 538 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 16 Dec 2008
at 21:23
Re: Stick and Move
Tucker's head goes back and forth with while listening to the arguing between everyone.  When he hears that Konrad has had enough, he gets back into his original position in the squad carrier behind the AGS-17.  "What a cluster fuck," he says as he gets into the vehicle and waits to pull out and away from their pursuers.

Tucker
Holstered HP-35
Getting into squad carrier and manning the AGS-17
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 250 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 17 Dec 2008
at 00:55
Re: Stick and Move
Hearing the vehicles start up, Dave leaves off his scavenging in the back yard and jogs around to the front. Seeing everyone piling into the trucks, he climbs into his seat.

As he watches the motorcycle and the big truck jockey around to face the way they just came from, Dave leans over and asks Jan "Do they know they're going the wrong way? There's a bunch of pissed off dudes down that way."

"Roger that, Herr Capitan" he replies to Konrads orders to shoot anything that moves.

"Hey Tuck" he says over his shoulder. "You ever notice there's a lot of similarities between gun slang and booze slang? A shooter is a glass of booze you swallow quickly, and a shooter is also...guys like us. If you get shot, you can be wasted, and if you drink too many shots, you can also be wasted. And then there's that whole Don't shoot until you see the whites of thier eyes. Were the Brits hungover?"


Dave
Front passenger seat of Honker
M240
running mouth

Alexei Ondar
 player, 68 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Wed 17 Dec 2008
at 04:04
Re: Stick and Move
Ondar nods in agreement at McCoy.  His direction to grab the PKM and mount the Ural seems reasonable.  Piotrowski expresses a contrary opinion regarding ownership of the machinegun and, though the men lock eyes long enough for the ex-Reydoviki to silently communicate that he knows more ways to kill Piotrowski than the Pole knows how to die, Ondar shrugs and lets it go.  He moves to climb over the tailgate of the Ural when the Major starts screaming what appears to be another countermanding order.  He looks down the road in the direction of the approaching opposition column and rolls his eyes.  He then jumps down off the tailgate and approaches the Major with his rifle slung across his back.

"Maybe you give back pistol now," Ondar demands.  "This a three ring goat fuck, lady.  I walk to Montana from here."



[Ondar]
Amidst the vehicles
SVU-AS (10/10)
Waiting for the situation to unfuck itself

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 889 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Wed 17 Dec 2008
at 04:32
Re: Stick and Move
"Just hurry up and get back on the Honker," she rolled her eyes in the darkness, agreeing silently with the Russian.
Sam McCoy
 player, 156 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Wed 17 Dec 2008
at 05:03
Re: Stick and Move
"you win major i will get in the squad carrier sit in the back and not talk again. Your the best i'm the worst. Sam walks up to milk and wispers somthing into his ear then gets into the Squad carrier."


Sam
M25
Sitting
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 890 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Wed 17 Dec 2008
at 05:28
Re: Stick and Move
Anneka just gives McCoy a "what the hell are you talking about" look and shrugs, putting the strange man out of her mind for now.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 69 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Wed 17 Dec 2008
at 05:35
Re: Stick and Move
Ondar engages the safety on his rifle, crawls into the Honker and finds a seat.  He rests the butt of the SVU-AS between his feet and clasps his hands around the barrel and bipod at the weapon's forestock.  Once situated, he looks at Sam and shrugs.

"Seem OK plan to me."



[Ondar]
Honker cargo bay
SVU-AS (10/10)
Standing by to move out

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1047 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 17 Dec 2008
at 06:06
Re: Stick and Move
Alexei Ondar:
Piotrowski expresses a contrary opinion regarding ownership of the machinegun and, though the men lock eyes long enough for the ex-Reydoviki to silently communicate that he knows more ways to kill Piotrowski than the Pole knows how to die, Ondar shrugs and lets it go.


As he rode, Dawid grinned as he recalled his own reaction to Ondar's "if looks could kill" stare.

He had laughed in Ondar's face, saying in Russian, "HA! Very scary! I am impressed! Now run along, "Ivan", my American-in-training comrade. Go! Shoo, shoo!"

Making brushing motions as Ondar turned and walked away, he had then climbed in the cab, chuckling.

Still, thinking of him shooing away his former "master" brought a smile to his lips. If you couldn't laugh at life, you were already dead!

This message was last edited by the player at 08:30, Sat 20 Dec 2008.

Sam McCoy
 player, 157 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Wed 17 Dec 2008
at 06:07
Re: Stick and Move
Sam holds out his hand to alex

"Sam McCoy. Tenth Special Forces. I was your enemy up to about 3 miniutes ago. Benn doing SF work since about 89. Doing stuff here in europe since the start of the war mostlty deep insertion training and leading partisn bands. Did not do any direct action stuff the other two Battalions did that. So my polish is good and i have some broken russian. Caught up with this band a few days ago at a little port city that went bad. Where did you train with the Long gun? I have always wanted to talk shop with the other side. never though you guys were bad just doing your duty like we are doing ours. I have a M25 here a little plus up job on a old M14. They do have National match barrels though. I hear you keep asking for your pistol? what do you Carry. I have a H&K here. lost the suppurssor at the bridge. stoner lost it on the MP-5. Well good talking with you.If you see that i like to lead I have been in charge of myself since 97. Its hard going back being with the rear area types."


Sam
M25
talking to alex

This message was last edited by the player at 06:12, Wed 17 Dec 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 539 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 17 Dec 2008
at 20:28
Re: Stick and Move
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
Hearing the vehicles start up, Dave leaves off his scavenging in the back yard and jogs around to the front. Seeing everyone piling into the trucks, he climbs into his seat.

"Hey Tuck" he says over his shoulder. "You ever notice there's a lot of similarities between gun slang and booze slang? A shooter is a glass of booze you swallow quickly, and a shooter is also...guys like us. If you get shot, you can be wasted, and if you drink too many shots, you can also be wasted. And then there's that whole Don't shoot until you see the whites of thier eyes. Were the Brits hungover?"
Robert looks at Stoner with amazement when he tells him about the relationship between gun slang and alcohol.  He laughs at him after a few seconds, "Damn Bones, you come up with some really off the wall shit sometimes!  You sure your head's feeln OK?"
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 251 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 18 Dec 2008
at 00:56
Re: Stick and Move
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Robert looks at Stoner with amazement when he tells him about the relationship between gun slang and alcohol.  He laughs at him after a few seconds, "Damn Bones, you come up with some really off the wall shit sometimes!  You sure your head's feeln OK?"


Dave laughs along with Tuck and replies " Actually I think I'm feeling better, at least more like my normal self. Two near misses with death in as many days made me get all introspective. I finally decided I didn't like it, life's too short to be all moody."

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:59, Fri 19 Dec 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 330 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 18 Dec 2008
at 01:59
Re: Stick and Move
Quyen is relieved to have departed with the heavy mine. Her back will thank her as well. Its only unfortunate that she won't be able to see the outcome of her effort. She still had her POMZ-2 and Claymore however.

Climbing into the Honker she quickly secures the RPG under the bench. Overhearing the Hauptmann mentioning setting up an ambush at a bottleneck she makes sure her gear is still ready to go and she is prepared for action. She reminded herself that sitting in the back of the truck didn't mean it was time to relax too much.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 71 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Thu 18 Dec 2008
at 09:45
Re: Stick and Move
"Nice meet." Ondar reaches out to shake McCoy's hand. "I Ondar. Alexei Russian name. Ondar family name.  From Tuvan Autonomous Region in Far East.  Was 4th Guards Tank Army, Independent 'Special Purpose Forces' Brigade.  Under Western TVD General Staff.  Senior Contract Warrant.  Reydoviki.  For making raid.  Is like ... um ... American Rangers.  Conscript in 1977.  Engineer first, then Master Parachutist."

He motions toward his rifle.

"Learn shoot formal in regiment school, but practical get most in Afghanistan.  Then Sarajevo.  Some Chechnya.  Also, Manchuria and Norway.  Not sniper.  More like ... um ... designation of marksman.  Is SVU.  Like Drugunov, made short.  Good for urban.  OK six maybe eight hundred meter for accurate.  Pistol is 6P9. Call it Pistolet Besshumnyj.  Like Makarov, made silent.  Is still confiscate so not kill you all in sleep."

He sneaks a sideways smirk at the Major then nods at McCoy's rifle.

"M25 see in Norway.  Nice weapon when not aim at you.  You call 'white feather' from Carlos Hathcock.  We study Henderson and read Marine Sniper.  One shot. One kill.  Warrior same around world - other idealogy, same duty.  Speak Russian OK.  Some Polish.  English OK.  Chinese better.  We talk in shop when you want."

After a few moments pass, Ondar leans forward.

"You ever been Montana?"



[Ondar]
Honker troop bay
SVU-AS (10/10)
Talking shop

Sam McCoy
 player, 159 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Thu 18 Dec 2008
at 10:47
Re: Stick and Move
" Well i once fucked a girl from Montana. Real big tits and she liked to suck cock. So I guess its a great place if she is what the state is about. I know they have big horse and cattle ranches there but thats about it. I dont think any nukes hit there not much too hit. Yea the rifle goes to about 1 klick (1000m) Its good for longer range and short also. Puts a big hole in ya. The sight was made in Oregon. Its near Montana. I went to Sniper school a while ago at Ft. Benning. Part of my training. Yea If you wanted to kill us I'm sure you would have found a way with out the pistol. I'm sure your just like me; I wrestled In school when I was young and did Boxing when I was older. You guys do Sombo or sambo right? Great shit! More than one guy has been killed by that stuff. You carry a knife? I went to a school in the Phillipines a long time ago to learn how to fight with one. Great people; army paid for it. Lots of whores. Great time. You Know what Odie I fucking miss Ice cream. I was just thinking about that. I miss Ice cream."


Sam
M25
Talking to Odie
Jason Kasparov
 player, 357 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Thu 18 Dec 2008
at 10:49
Re: Stick and Move
Waiting for the pursuing force to appear and hopefully set off the mine, Jason reflected on why -- in addition to following orders -- he was doing this.  For one thing, he loved riding the powerful Ural, and he was quite good at it.  Among other things, he was looking to prove to Bayer that he was indeed a real soldier.  He would not have minded having one of the special-forces types or even Dawid along with him rather than putting Mariusz at risk, but there was no time left to switch.  Besides, he was used to working with the young partisan; they made a pretty good team.  "Here they come!  Steady..."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:55, Fri 19 Dec 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 332 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 18 Dec 2008
at 19:25
Re: Stick and Move
Griet was too engrossed in trying to clear the jam in the Zoo-2 breech to notice the discussions ranging around her.


Griet
STAR
Clearing jam

This message was last edited by the player at 19:01, Fri 19 Dec 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 417 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 18 Dec 2008
at 19:34
Re: Stick and Move
With Jason ready to take out the armoured car if the mine didn't do the job, Mariusz shifted his aim to prepare to hit the truck behind the BDRM. He checked his six to ensure that no one would be cooked by the back-blast and readied himself, he would wait until the truck filled the aiming recticule before firing.

Mariusz
RPG-18, one spare
G3 20/20
Preparing for opportunity fire on the second vehicle of the convoy

This message was last edited by the player at 19:00, Fri 19 Dec 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1050 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 19 Dec 2008
at 11:56
Re: Stick and Move
As he was riding away on the back of the Star, Dawid silently wished Mariusz and Jason luck.

"Here, let me help." He started to help Griet clear the jammed Zu-23.

"No the choice I would have made, I would have volunteered myself if I wasn't needed here."

This message was last edited by the player at 08:59, Sat 20 Dec 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 541 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 19 Dec 2008
at 15:39
Re: Stick and Move
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Robert looks at Stoner with amazement when he tells him about the relationship between gun slang and alcohol.  He laughs at him after a few seconds, "Damn Bones, you come up with some really off the wall shit sometimes!  You sure your head's feeln OK?"


Dave laughs along with Tuck and replies " Actually I think I'm feeling better, at least more like my normal self. Two near misses with death in as many days made me get all introspective. I finally decided I didn't like it, life's too short to be all moody."
Tucker continues to laugh after Stoner's reply to him like he was a little kid.  "Yeah, I would say so!  Life is indeed too short my friend!"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1071 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 19 Dec 2008
at 23:04
Roadblocks

Ambush Team

Through the green tint of their night vision goggles, Jason and Mariusz watch as the BRDM steadily approaches the trigger point of their planned ambush. The armored scout car moves awkwardly, pulling to its left and wobbling on a wheel that is obviously somewhat smaller than the other three.

Mariusz is about to switch his aim from one of the trailing armored trucks to the BRDM when the scout car’s right front tire rolls over the AT mine. The mine detonates in a thunderous explosion, lifting the BRDM at least a meter off of the ground. After what seems like several seconds, it crashes back to earth in a cloud of smoke and flames, careening into a tree on the west side of the road. There it stops, flames licking out from beneath its undercarriage. The trucks following in trail pull to an abrupt halt about 50m behind the battered and burning wreck. Through the smoke and the flickering light of the flames, Jason and Mariusz can just barely make out the shadowy forms of infantry spilling out of the trucks and into the trees on either side of the road, 150m south of blazing BRDM. The lead armored truck hammers away with its cupola mounted PKM, sending tracers weaving into the woods ahead of and on boths sides of the mortally wounded BRDM. The fire is high and appears to be unaimed and suppressive in nature.

Mariusz is unable to engage the armored trucks because the burning wreck of the BRDM is now blocking his line of sight. In order to line up a shot, he will have to cross the road or move out wider to his right, deeper into the woods, where the many trees between him and the target will present similar problems. Jason faces a similar conundrum. The ambush team now faces off against about 50 or 60 persistent and angry enemy infantrymen, deploying into the woods only 250m away.

Main Body

The remainder of the party, split between the Tarpan-Honker and the STAR 6x6 gun-truck, races northwest along the touring/access road through the national forrest just southwest of Kozienice. The sound of a distant explosion reverberates through the trees, indicating that Mariusz and Jason have executed their ambush/delaying action.

In the bed of the STAR, Dawid successfully clears the large, damaged 23mm HEI-T round from the chamber of the autocannon, effectively unjamming it.

Jan, at the wheel of the T-H, decelerates and points towards a large tree laying across the road about 100m ahead.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:08, Sat 20 Dec 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 542 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 02:28
Re: Roadblocks
Cap'n Rae:
Main Body

The remainder of the party, split between the Tarpan-Honker and the STAR 6x6 gun-truck, races northwest along the touring/access road through the national forrest just southwest of Kozienice. The sound of a distant explosion reverberates through the trees, indicating that Mariusz and Jason have executed their ambush/delaying action.

In the bed of the STAR, Dawid successfully clears the large, damaged 23mm HEI-T round from the chamber of the autocannon, effectively unjamming it.

Jan, at the wheel of the T-H, decelerates and points towards a large tree laying across the road about 100m ahead.

Actions?
As soon as he's finished with joking around with Stoner, Tucker's face goes from happy to worried when he sees the large tree across the road in front of them.  He immediately calls back to Konrad and the others, "TREE IN THE FUCKING ROAD!  THERE'S A TREE IN THE FUCKING ROAD AHEAD!"

Tucker
AGS-17
T-H gunner calling out obstruction in the road
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 253 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 02:42
Re: Roadblocks
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
</quote>As soon as he's finished with joking around with Stoner, Tucker's face goes from happy to worried when he sees the large tree across the road in front of them.  He immediately calls back to Konrad and the others, "TREE IN THE FUCKING ROAD!  THERE'S A TREE IN THE FUCKING ROAD AHEAD!"


"Who put that there? WATCH FOR AMBUSH!" Dave yells out. He braces his feet in the floorboard wishing he'd put on the seatbelt. Dave also grabs tight to the M240 with one hand and slips the other arm through the sling of his AK. Just in case they have to bail out from the truck, he wants to make sure his AK/BG comes with him, even if he's using the SAW.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 869 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 09:27
Re: Roadblocks
"Dismount dismount dismount!" Bayer yells. "Milk, Ondar, left side security... McCoy, Quyen, right side."

"Stoner lets go." he says. Jumping from the tailgate, Bayer (and Stoner) will assess the obstacle. "Don't touch it... may be mined." he says before they get close.

OOC - GM, once we get a look can we know the size and reason for it being felled (cut or broken)?
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1057 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 09:50
Re: Roadblocks
Grunting in satisfaction as the round hit the deck, Dawid wasn't entirely suprised that they were stopped.

What did surprise him was that they weren't immediately being hammered by one side or the other, as a proper ambush would have a firing line paralleling the road and waiting for them to stop.

"Griet, take the PKM and cover the right side, fire if anything moves. Adam, get down on the floor, everyone get ready to dismount!"

Swinging the 23mm around to cover the left side and peering through his NVGs, he considered spraying the woods to suppress any attackers before they opened fire (do unto others before they do unto you) but decided his low ammunition supply didn't warrant this.

"Perhaps this is just a tree down?" He sounded hopeful although he really didn't believe in coincidences.

Worried about what might be coming from behind, he kept an ear open for their back trail. If he heard the sound of large vehicles approaching instead of a motorcycle approaching, he would shift to the Mk.19 and pray he got the first shot off.

"Adam, wait a second, back us up about 50 metres!"

That way if they had to desperately engage any pursuit it wouldn't be in close proximity to the main body.


Bed of the truck
23mm AA gun (38/100 rounds)
Tantal/GL, 40mm HE
Aiming to Cover left side

This message was last edited by the player at 14:20, Sat 20 Dec 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 419 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 10:15
Re: Roadblocks
Mariusz swore to himself as he saw infantry spilling out into the woods and !the burning vehicle blocking his firing line.

He swiftly turned and started moving back to the trike. As he ran he yelled, "Let's get out of here, fast!"

Mariusz
No ready weapon
Running for the trike

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 333 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 10:16
Re: Roadblocks
Griet grabbed the PKM and moved to cover the right flank. She strained her eyes to try to penetrate the darkness and see what the woods held for them.
Sam McCoy
 player, 162 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 10:23
Re: Roadblocks
Sam will conduct 5's and 25"s and then hit the deck 25M away from the truck,  facing in his assigned sector with his weapon at the ready.

Sam
M25
SOP

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:14, Sat 20 Dec 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 255 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 12:06
Re: Roadblocks
Dave hops out of the truck and approaches the downed tree with Konrad. He takes a second to sling his AK across the front of his body and carries the M240.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 899 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 12:50
Re: Roadblocks
As the truck slowed in reponse to the fallen tree, Anneka popped open the hatch in the cabin letting in a decidedly unwelcome flood of cold air. A moment or two later and her RPK-74 was resting atop the roof, the light intensifying binoculars that had somehow been assigned to her assisting her in surveying the surroundings.
"Sunray this is Starlight. Is a detour possible?"
Her gut was saying it was nothing more than an inconveinantly fallen tree, not suprising really since it was really just a backroad through a relatively heavily forested area. A few years before and it'd probably have been cleared within hours of falling, no though with road maintenance a distant memory and regular traffic virtually non-existant, it might well have been across the road for months.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 360 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 13:44
Re: Roadblocks
Jason shifts aim from the burning BRDM to the closest large group of infantry he is able to target.  He takes aim and lets fly with the HEDP round in his M203.  As Mariusz returns to the trike, he replaces the spent casing with the CS round in his webbing and lobs it into the road ahead of the blazing vehicle, ignoring any return fire as he does so.  He then transfers the F88 to the sidecar, leaning it inside the compartment next to the boy and gets the Ural moving, swinging around and speeding back up the road, calling, "Hang on!"

This message was last edited by the player at 13:44, Sat 20 Dec 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 420 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 14:03
Re: Roadblocks
Mariusz stowed the RPGs and settled behind the RPK. He got on the radio and said, "Kaptain, this is the ambush unit. The armoured car is destroyed. We couldn't get LOS on the other vehicles and the woods were swarming with dismounts. In my opinion, we couldn't trade our lives for theirs efficiently so we bugged out. Do you have any further orders?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 870 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 15:39
Re: Roadblocks
Mariusz Tokarski:
"Kaptain, this is the ambush unit. The armoured car is destroyed. We couldn't get LOS on the other vehicles and the woods were swarming with dismounts. In my opinion, we couldn't trade our lives for theirs efficiently so we bugged out. Do you have any further orders?"


As Bayer approaches the downed tree Mariusz's voice comes over the radio. Clicking on the transmit button he replies, "Roger. Well done lad. Link up. We are halted on the road... setup security on our 6 o'clock just before you reach us, over."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 421 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 15:42
Re: Roadblocks
"Roger that." Mariusz replied and then shouted to Jason, "The convoy has met an obstacle, we're to set up a rearguard just before we reach them."
Minh Quyen
 player, 331 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 15:50
Re: Roadblocks
Quyen leaps out of the Honker, AK in hand. She gives a glance towards the tree but lacking night vision, she can see little. If it was too big to move, she may be called to blast it like she had to do in the engineers. As she took up a prone position a few meters from McCoy she tried to remember if she had any of her explosives still rigged and ready for quick usage.
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 196 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 20:10
Re: Roadblocks

Clarence deploys on the left (southwest) side of the road, going to one knee behind a thick-boled tree. He scans his slice of the pie, trusting Ondar to do the same. Without the benefit of NVGs, he can't see that far into the trees but the sky is steadily growing lighter and soon, he won't really be needing them.
'Old' Adam Rataj
 NPC, 65 posts
 Polish (NPC)
 Captain of the Queen
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 20:13
Re: Roadblocks
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Adam, wait a second, back us up about 50 metres!"


"OK, my boy!", Adam yells from the cab. The big STAR slowly backs up about 50m, putting about 100m between it and the lead element in the Tarpan-Honker.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 74 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 22:01
Re: Roadblocks
Upon the Honker's sudden deceleration, Ondar cuts short his chat wih McCoy.  When the Hauptmann barks the dismount order, Ondar leaps over the tailgate and moves out to cover the vehicle's left flank.   Holding his rifle snug into this shoulder, he looks to the north for any sign of activity in the direction of the felled tree.  Then, crouching low in the pre-dawn, he scans to the left as far into the forest as he can see looking for signs of infantry ambush or other traps.



[Ondar]
Honker's left flank
SVU-AS (10/10)
Checking for ambush

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1078 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 20 Dec 2008
at 23:14
A Walk in the Woods

Ambush Team

As Mariusz and Jason scan for targets among the trees, the driver’s hatch of the BRDM opens with a clang and the driver, his face a mask of blood, struggles to lift himself out of the burning vehicle.

Jason spots some movement among the trees directly opposite, to the south, and takes aim with his M203. He launches the HEDP round and watches with some satisfaction as it explodes just a few meters short of his intended target. The enemy, however, take notice and several of them begin to fire at the ambush team. Fortunately, the fire of the armored truck’s cupola-mounted PKM is blocked by the immobilized BRDM.

Nevertheless, rounds buzz and crack overhead, thudding into nearby tree trunks and kicking up little spurts of earth and leaf litter all around Mari and Jason.
As Jason empties the breach of the M203 and reaches into a pouch for a 40mm HE grenade, he feels a sharp, jarring jolt about six inches below his right hip. He know's instantly that he's been hit but he has no idea how badly. The pain is severe but tempered somewhat by the adrenaline pumping through Jason's arteries. Mariusz, meanwhile, desperately waits for Jason to start the bike, wishing to leave the area posthaste.


Main Body

Konrad and Stoner cautiously approach the fallen tree blocking the forrest road, covered by their comrades. If this is an ambush, the ambushers must be spectres or wraiths because no human forms are seen among the trees. A thin, cold, grey light begins to appear overhead, not quite filtering down among the trees, and only adding to the impression that supernatural forces, as well as the Polish army bandit hunters, are conspiring to stop the party from escaping the confines of the dark wood. Perhaps the ambushers are the trees themselves, waiting to fall upon the stopped convoy.

Upon closer inspection, it appears that the tree has fallen due to natural causes. The base of the tree, laying a dozen meters or so on the west side of the road, is a mass of jagged splinters but there is no sign that axe or explosives are to blame. In peace time, the dead tree would have been cleared away by now. But the national park's rangers are all long since fled, dead, or holed up in their little cottages, neglecting the woods so as to attend to their own survival.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:03, Sun 21 Dec 2008.

Sam McCoy
 player, 163 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 21 Dec 2008
at 00:40
Re: A Walk in the Woods
Sam will hold his position until told too do otherwise. he will not speak unless spoken too by the command element.




Sam
M25
Holding position
Alexei Ondar
 player, 76 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Sun 21 Dec 2008
at 02:13
Re: A Walk in the Woods
Satisfied wih an absence of any immediate danger from his sector of coverage, Ondar diverts his attention toward the felled tree blocking their path.

"Clear this side!"

Ondar turns to Milk

"Need move that tree," he urges.  "We got chainsaw? Or winch?"

He shrugs and returns to cover his sector.

"Wish had Ural now, I bet."



[Ondar]
Honker's left flank
SVU-AS (10/10)
Covering

Jason Kasparov
 player, 363 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sun 21 Dec 2008
at 03:13
Re: A Walk in the Woods
"AAAAHH!"  Jason yelps in pain and surprise.  He leans the F88 AGL in the sidecar next to Mariusz, grabs the handlebars, and pulls out, turning up the road to speed away, weaving from side to side to spoil the shooters' aim.  "Hang on!" he shouts.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:04, Sun 21 Dec 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 257 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 21 Dec 2008
at 03:48
Re: A Walk in the Woods
We got a rope in the truck? Anybody? McFly? Dave asks aloud to anybody who can hear him.

OOC: Disregard this post if the tree is small enough to move by hand.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 423 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 21 Dec 2008
at 11:51
Re: A Walk in the Woods
As Mariusz bouunced along in the trike's sidecar he twisted his body so that the RPK was facing backward. He scanned the area behind him, hoping that he'd find no viable targets as that would mean that they'd broken contact successfully.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 334 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 21 Dec 2008
at 11:59
Re: A Walk in the Woods
Greit relaxed slightly as the tree turned out not to be the prelude to a bloody ambush. There was still an urgency to their actions however as their pursuers were not far away.

She walked up to the Honker and said to Bayer, "Sir, the Star has a winch, it should be able to pull the tree off the road enough for us to get past. With your permission, I'll get Adam to drive up here and then get on to it." she looked at him for a moment and said, "Sir, might I also suggest that you ask Mihn to use the delay to prepare some demolition charges using the dynamite, four sticks wired to a tree trunk and then detonated should cause a roadblock behind us. Every delay we can put on the pursuit is another reason for them to abandon the chase. We've hurt them badly but they might still come on, this trick might slow them even more."
She nervously checked the surroundings as she awaited Bayer's decisions.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1060 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 21 Dec 2008
at 12:32
Re: A Walk in the Woods
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg #176):

After the stopped, Dawid hopped off the AA gun and manned the Mk. 19.

Not seeing Griet get off, he was puzzled for a moment. He had no easy way to contact her as she lacked a radio, nor did he wish to shout.  Looking around he saw her walking away down the road towards the other vehicle.

Various pops and bangs echoed through the woods, a familiar-enough sound. Not hearing any more radio messages from the stay-behind element, looked back down the road the way they came, worried.

"Eagle calling Sunray, our position is 100m away now."

Adam could probably use some reassurance. "Adam, so far so good, all clear back here. But do get ready to drive, eh?"

He continued peering back down the road, knowing he would likely get off the first shot, and hoped that would be enough.


Rear bed of Star 266
40mm Mk.19 AGL (50/50 HVHEDP)
Aiming to rear (Covering)

This message was last edited by the player at 16:59, Sun 21 Dec 2008.

'Old' Adam Rataj
 NPC, 65 posts
 Polish (NPC)
 Captain of the Queen
Sun 21 Dec 2008
at 21:59
Re: A Walk in the Woods
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
Adam could probably use some reassurance. "Adam, so far so good, all clear back here. But do get ready to drive, eh?"


"Yes, we are ready." While they wait for a decision to be made regarding the tree, Adam speaks privately with Dawid.


Walter sits behind the wheel looking nervously impatient with the entire situation.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:30, Sun 21 Dec 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 904 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sun 21 Dec 2008
at 22:57
Re: A Walk in the Woods
Spying the situation through the image intensifiers, and spurred on by the sounds behind them, Anneka made a snap decision and called down into the cabin.
"Adam, move the truck into position to use the winch."
"Walter, I want you on the ground to connect the cable."
"Don't bother using the winch motor to begin with, it's probably too slow."

Next she informed those with a radio what was happening.
"Sunray this is Starlight. Moving into position to use winch. Suggest redeploying to watch this arc."
And then, as the truck bumped along in the diminishing light, called back to the cargo bed.
"Dawid, have you seen an axe anywhere?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1061 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 22 Dec 2008
at 05:07
Re: A Walk in the Woods
Anneka Soleblume:
Spying the situation through the image intensifiers, and spurred on by the sounds behind them, Anneka made a snap decision and called down into the cabin.
"Adam, move the truck into position to use the winch."
"Walter, I want you on the ground to connect the cable."
"Don't bother using the winch motor to begin with, it's probably too slow."

Next she informed those with a radio what was happening.
"Sunray this is Starlight. Moving into position to use winch. Suggest redeploying to watch this arc."
And then, as the truck bumped along in the diminishing light, called back to the cargo bed. "Dawid, have you seen an axe anywhere?"



Dawid finished his conversation with, "Adam, do not worry my friend, I am sure we will make it all right to Warszawa. God will guide us."

When Anneka asked about an axe, he replied apologetically, "I do not see an axe here, maybe try the tool bin between the cab and the bed? I would gladly do it, but I regret that I am covering the rear. We could have company, quite soon..."

As they drove back he called to Walter when they were still about 25-30m away, "Stop right here! Send Griet back when you can."

He quickly unloaded the Mk.19 plus the spare ammo can where he could cover the road behind them. He looked for something like a deep pothole in the road, or log or ditch on the side off to the side with a clear field of fire down the lane.

Once set up, he took out his Rosary and started to pray, then crossed himself when done.


40mm Mk. 19 (50 HVHEDP + 50 HVHE)
Road 30m behind the vehicles
Aiming and Covering the road.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:44, Mon 22 Dec 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 544 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 22 Dec 2008
at 20:18
Re: A Walk in the Woods
While everyone else dismounts, Tucker will stay behind the AGS-17 and cover the group in case there is some kind of ambush set for them.  He still uses the NVG's to continue scanning the area around the forward element looking at the downed tree and what they're going to do.

OOC; Unless Konrad wants me out to help?

Tucker
AGS-17
T-H squad carrier covering ground team(s)
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 335 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 22 Dec 2008
at 21:11
Re: A Walk in the Woods
Once Griet saw that the tree was in hand she looked at Bayer and said, "Sir, I think Dawid wants me back with him. Do you concur or is there somewhere else you want me?"
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 908 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 00:12
Re: A Walk in the Woods
"Hauptman!" Anneka called as the truck moved into position.
"Do you need Minh to blast the stump free?"
While setting the charge to complete the servering of the trunk might take a few minutes, they may also waste time attempting to shift it as it was. A tough decision with no time to make it, and one she was glad wasn't hers to make.
"Stoner," she continued in more of a lecturing "school teacher" tone, "What do you think you're doing running about with that head wound?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 872 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 00:59
Re: A Walk in the Woods
Bayer replies over the radio, "Send her up for inspection."

To everyone else he says, "Tucker, put two or three rounds into the tree with the AGS." It looked natural, but he decided to go with caution before anyone started messing around with it with tow cables. "Jan, back the truck up a little to keep it safe, everyone else, stay in cover."
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 260 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 01:03
Re: A Walk in the Woods
Anneka Soleblume:
"Stoner," she continued in more of a lecturing "school teacher" tone, "What do you think you're doing running about with that head wound?"


"It's just a scratch" he says in his best English accent. "I'm not dead yet".
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1083 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 04:47
Paying the Toll

Jason, his hip throbbing badly, stradles the Ural motorcycle and attempts to manhandle the bike/sidecar combo back up on to the road and pointing north. Bullets whip-crack around them, one thwacking into the sidecar just a few inches below Mariusz's back (fortunately it does not penetrate and Mariusz in unhurt). After what seems like an eternity, the bike is back on the path and, spitting gravel, accelerates after the rest of the friendly convoy.

Jason can feel the warm stickiness of blood running down his leg and soaking into his Nomex flyers' coverals.

Up ahead, out of site of the returning ambush team, the T-H and the STAR almost collide, as the squad carrier backs away from the log in order to "test" it with 30mm HE grenade fire and the STAR pulls forward to use its winch to drag the tree out of the way. Fortunately, both drivers (Jan and Adam respectively) are alert, and the mishap is avoided.

Having pulled back 50m, or so, Tucker looses a burst of AGL fire at the tree lying stubbornly across the road. Three grenades detonate close enough to the tree to shower it with shrapnel. The barrage produces no further effects and it is judged safe to move. Walter runs forward with the hook and cable from the STAR's winch and secures it around a sturdy-looking section of the dead- and now mutilated- tree, close to one end. The STAR backs up and drags the tree so that it no longer obstructs the entire path. Enough of a lane has been created that the STAR, as well as the convoy's smaller vehicles, should be able to work themselves around the remainder of the large tree without much trouble.

Minh, meanwhile looks through her stock of explosives, judging whether to spare any of the party's dwindling supply to quickly blast down a few more trees, creating a formidable obstacle behind them for their pursuers. Dawid searches for an axe and finds one, as well as a full-sized shovel, a pickaxe, and a sledge hammer clipped to a panel in the STAR's side.

Jason and Mariusz arrive and flip another U-turn to face south once again, providing the party with rear security. Jason is starting to feel a bit woozy but he managest to load an HEDP round into his M203.

Actions?
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 545 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 05:24
Re: Paying the Toll
Cap'n Rae:
Having pulled back 50m, or so, Tucker looses a burst of AGL fire at the tree lying stubbornly across the road. Three grenades detonate close enough to the tree to shower it with shrapnel. The barrage produces no further effects and it is judged safe to move. Walter runs forward with the hook and cable from the STAR's winch and secures it around a sturdy-looking section of the dead- and now mutilated- tree, close to one end. The STAR backs up and drags the tree so that it no longer obstructs the entire path. Enough of a lane has been created that the STAR, as well as the convoy's smaller vehicles, should be able to work themselves around the remainder of the large tree without much trouble.
Tucker looses the trio of grenades at the tre once Jan safely backs the truck up far enough away to give them a safety buffer and to minimize the shrapnel.  He shakes his fist up and down and lets out a loud "WHOOO" as he sees that the tactic worked on breaking up the tree enough to move and probably get by.  "That's what I'm talking about!  That's the shit," he says aloud as the clearing of the road begins.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 365 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 05:31
Re: Paying the Toll
Jason is beginning to feel the blood loss.  "Mariusz," he says, "I'm hit.  Keep an eye out for Ivan.  I've gotta..." he takes a heavy breath, then continues, "stop this bleeding."  Leaning his rifle inside the sidecar again, he takes one of his canteens and the personal medical kit from his webbing.  He sits on the saddle and props his right foot on the body of the sidecar.  He pours water from the canteen to rinse the wound, then uses the supplies from the medkit to bind it.  That task done, he picks up the Austeyr again to wait for the enemy to reappear, or for the signal to move on.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:19, Tue 23 Dec 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1064 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 06:34
Re: Paying the Toll
In reply to Jason Kasparov (msg #188):

Dawid heard the bangs from the grenades hitting the tree, and turned around to look. It seemed they were checking for booby traps prior to winching the tree.

From behind the Mk.19 covering the rear from the brush just off the road, Dawid was overjoyed to see Jason and Mariusz.

They stopped nearby and he saw Jason was woozy and wounded.

"It is great to see you both! Hey Jason, go get treated by the doctor. I am covering the rear. Griet should be here soon, and Mariusz can stay or not, but I would like to hear how it went back there."

He continued watching the road behind them.


40mm Mk.19 (50 HVHEDP
Aiming to Cover the rear.
25m behind the vehicles

This message was last edited by the player at 09:54, Tue 23 Dec 2008.

Sam McCoy
 player, 165 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 06:37
Re: Paying the Toll
when sam hear's that they are going to use the AGS; he moves back and covers the same side of the truck; just back from the target.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:54, Tue 23 Dec 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 366 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 09:40
Re: Paying the Toll
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"It is great to see you both! Hey Jason, go get treated by the doctor. I am covering the rear. Griet should be here soon, and Mariusz can stay or not, but I would like to hear how it went back there."

Pausing to take breaths in the middle of phrases, Jason replies, "BRDM hit the mine and was burning last we saw.  A whole shitload of infantry dismounted from a couple of trucks.  I popped a grenade among some of them before we boogied.  As long as you have the rear covered, I can go see the doc.  I think I am going to have to ride up; I'm not going to be able to walk that far.  Mariusz, it's your choice.  Stay here to cover the back trail, or come with me."  With or without his young friend, Jason turns the motorcycle around and slowly makes his way to the Star and Tarpan-Honker.  "Major," he says to Soleblume when he gets there, "I need your help..."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:46, Tue 23 Dec 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1065 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 09:53
Re: Paying the Toll
In reply to Jason Kasparov (msg #191):

"Well that's good, very impressive! I am glad you both made it. We should thank God for your miraculous deliverance."

40mm Mk.19 (50 HVHEDP
Aiming to Cover the rear.
25m behind the vehicles

This message was last edited by the player at 09:56, Tue 23 Dec 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 424 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 10:25
Re: Paying the Toll
"You get treated," Mariusz said to Kasparov, "I'll wait here."



He took the radio with him and found a nice deppression next to the track to set up in.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:31, Tue 23 Dec 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 336 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 10:30
Re: Paying the Toll
Griet walked back down the track until she found Mariusz and Dawid, she noted that they had the track directly covered and said, "I'll go into the tree line a little bit and see if I can find a position to use enfilading fire, if I can't, I'll come back here."

She started to move into the trees.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1066 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 12:27
Re: Paying the Toll
Dawid welcomed Griet back.

"Good to see you, I'll make sure not to hit your position. Just so you know the plan is I will try and engage them at as long a range as possible with the machine grenade launcher. I'm probably not going to wait until they are beside you (because if they bail out you will be overrun), unless we get more people here to help set up a proper ambush."

"From what Jason says, not much chance of immediate pursuit, which is good! I hear he got that damned BDRM. Might as well finish that smoke."


He handed her the RPK-74 and spare ammunition as she passed.

"Jason, you are not fit to ride! Allow me."

He easily caught up to and helped the wounded pilot into the sidecar, then hopped onto the saddle and started the bike with a kick on the starter pedal. The warm machine caught immediately, and he put it into gear while letting out the clutch and twisting the throttle. After delivering his injured charge to where Anneka waited, he drove back.

"Mariusz, would you kindly help me man the machine grenade launcher? We will fire off the Mk.19 from here, then load it up and use the bike to escape behind some smoke grenades. But I suspect we'll be going before that happens."

"I hope!"


He rolled the bike back off the road, but made sure it was pointed back up the road so it could be quickly started and driven away. In doing so he noted the bullet holes and reflected how narrow their escape must have been.


40mm Mk.19 (50 HVHEDP
Moving the bike, then back to Aim and Cover
25m behind the vehicles

This message was last edited by the player at 09:48, Wed 24 Dec 2008.

'Old' Adam Rataj
 NPC, 65 posts
 Polish (NPC)
 Captain of the Queen
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 18:31
Re: Paying the Toll

Before Dawid left to see to rear security and the recently arrived ambush team, Adam replies quietly to Dawid's rhetorical querry.


He gives Dawid a conspiratorial wink. It appears that the old man is not above enaging in a little subtle manipulation himself.

When their private conversation ends, the old man assists in the shifting of the large tree from the roadway.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:31, Tue 23 Dec 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 332 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 24 Dec 2008
at 00:57
Re: Paying the Toll
Quyen takes cover as Tucker attempts to trigger any boobytraps or mines in the tree. She preferred that than having to rustle through it in the dark. Afterwards she helps with the winch and the obstacle clearance.

Loading up, she makes a quick check of her own explosives, some dynamite sticks, a kilo of C4, and two anti-pers mines. Not much left, but hopefully enough to make a difference sometime in the future.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1069 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 24 Dec 2008
at 09:48
Re: Paying the Toll
'Old' Adam Rataj:
Before Dawid left to see to rear security and the recently arrived ambush team, Adam replies quietly to Dawid's rhetorical querry.

He gives Dawid a conspiratorial wink. It appears that the old man is not above enaging in a little subtle manipulation himself.

When their private conversation ends, the old man assists in the shifting of the large tree from the roadway.


Now a ways away, Dawid remembered returning the smile and Adam's words of a few minutes ago. In return he had nodded in understanding of the truth in what Adam sald, then had moved to his position.

Currently, he was waiting for the pursuers to catch up, although it would likely take a long time to get themselves sorted out. He thanked God again for Jason and Mariusz's deliverance.


40mm Mk.19 (50 HVHEDP
Moving the bike, then back to Aim and Cover
25m behind the vehicles


OOC: In case there is any confusion in reading this post, Dawid is reflecting on the prior conversation that has ended a few minutes prior, not beginning a new one.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 338 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 24 Dec 2008
at 12:02
Re: Paying the Toll
Griet looked at the RPK and ammunition that Dawid had handed her. As he drove off with Jason, she wondered why he wanted her to carry both the RPK and the PKM into her position. She shrugged and left the RPK with Mariusz as she headed out to find a suitable flanking position.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 425 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 24 Dec 2008
at 12:04
Re: Paying the Toll
Mariusz moved from his position, gave up the RPK to Dawid, received it back from Griet and then set himself up next to the Mk-19 ready to assist Dawid as he'd been told.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1070 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 24 Dec 2008
at 12:19
Re: Paying the Toll
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg #199):

Noting her hesitation over weapons, Dawid suggested, "the plan is simply to hit and run. Use whichever weapon you like, put the other in the sidecar, but I would think the RPK-74 is easier to run with!"


40mm Mk.19 (50 HVHEDP
Aiming to Cover the back trail
25m behind the vehicles


OOC: Sorry, I didn't see a weapon posted and didn't realise Griet was packing around the PKM, which makes sense.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:39, Wed 24 Dec 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1085 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 24 Dec 2008
at 20:55
A Fork in the Road

October 12, 2000
0530 hrs.
40F
Scattered clouds
Approximately 5km west of Kozienice


The fallen tree no longer an impediment to their escape, the party reboard the vehicles* and once again get under way. The road cuts fairly straight through the trees, angling gradually northwest. So far, there has been no sign of the pursuit force. Perhaps the loss of the BRDM succeeded in breaking their spirit. Perhaps they have seen the folley of wheeled pursuit through a heavily wooded area. Whatever the cause of this respite, it is welcome indeed. But the members of the party are no less vigilant. The same trees that may have disuaded their pursuers could still contain dangers unseen for the party.

Moving at an expeditious but careful 55kph, the party continues to travel through the wood. Despite the lack of regular upkeep over the last few years, the forrest floor is remarkably free from undergrowth, making visibility less of an issue. The warm, loamy aroma of the composting leaf litter permeates the cold air which seems to have less of an edge in the cradle-like confines of the wood. Also contributing to the improved visibility is the newly risen sun, still low on the eastern horizon, whose beams now illuminate the tall spires of the mostly bare trees.

Stoner, in the Tarpan-Honker’s passenger seat, perchance looks off to his right(east), and is surprised by what he sees. For a split second, he suspects that his head wound was flaring up, causing him to halucinate a strange, disembodied, mirror image of their own convoy as it would be seen from afar. Then, others notice the rolling dopplegangers, traveling on a near parallel course to the convoy but slowly merging with their own. The first vehicle is a Tarpan-Honker squad carrier congfigured very nearly like the party's. The second is a STAR 4x4, smaller than their own STAR and, unlike those of the pursuit force, unarmored. Neither have canvas tops and their occupants can be clearly seen: four men in the T-H, and at least a dozen in lining the bed of the STAR. All are armed. The twin T-H appears to have a pintle-mounted PKM.

The vehicles, now only a little over 100m apart, continue to converge on the same, unseen intersection up ahead. The road here forms a lower case y, with the party’s convoy on the straighter, longer road, heading towards the tail. The other vehicles are on the shorter track, also heading for the tail. The two courses will undoubtedly soon merge.

Soon after Stoner and the others notice the shadowing force, the shadowing force notices them. The PKM on the hostile T-H swings towards the party’s T-H and the passengers in the hostile STAR crane their necks to see what is going on ahead and across from them.

Actions?

*I'll let ya'll sort out the order of march and vehicle assignments in the OOC.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:18, Sun 28 Dec 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 261 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 25 Dec 2008
at 05:15
Re: A Fork in the Road
Dave flips the NVGs up and rubs his eyes, then flips them back down for a second look. "Hey! Ya'll see that shit?" he asks no one in particular. He shifts around in the seat to bring the M240 to bear.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 910 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Thu 25 Dec 2008
at 06:12
Re: A Fork in the Road
Pre contact:
Jason Kasparov:
"Major," he says to Soleblume when he gets there, "I need your help..."

"Yes, of course."
After looking at the injury with the help of her surgical kits penlight, she quickly stiched the wound.
"No more bike riding for you," she said, directing Jason towards the trucks cargo bed.
"Not for a day or two anyway. Climb up and I'll bandage it while we move."
With Jason out of action as the motorcycle driver, Anneka mentally ran down ther list to come up with a replacement.
"Jan better do it," she stated.
"Dawid's needed too much here with with big guns."
Which of course meant a new driver was required for the T-H...
Sam McCoy
 player, 167 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Thu 25 Dec 2008
at 12:32
Re: A Fork in the Road
"I can ride, if that means anything..."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:55, Fri 26 Dec 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1071 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 25 Dec 2008
at 13:57
Re: A Fork in the Road
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #202):

After they got moving, Dawid made sure the Mk.19 and his PKM were in the bed of the STAR. Then he consolidated the remaining 23mm HEI ammunition into one magazine. If one barrel was functioning and the other wasn't, then it was just as well.

Spotting the other vehicles with his NVGs, Dawid knew there were hostile forces nearby to the East, in Kozienice. They would well have patrols out to spot and, if possible, head them off. It looked like a patrol had just managed to cut them off.  Riding in Polish Army vehicles and coming from the direction of known hostiles, he didn't need someone to draw him a picture as to who these clowns were.  He hoped it wasn't a friendly, but there was no way to tell and he who shot first lived to regret their mistakes.

He called out the fire order to the other gunners in the the vehicle, which mainly included Griet, "targets: two vehicles azimuth 100 degrees at 100m!"

Dawid swung the AA gun around and lowered the barrels down (as they had been pointed up to clear the breeches), training it on them. When the rear vehicle slid into his sight he pressed the trigger for the remaining 23mm autocannon, raking it.


23mm AA gun (39/100 HEI)
Firing 5x Bursts (x5 shots each) into the Star truck at close range
On AA gun, bed of Star


OOC: for the sake of argument, I'm assuming that the vehicles are about even and off to the side, a little to the rear, so the 23mm can train on them. If they are more to the rear the 23mm cannot target them but then the Mk.19 can and that's what he'd use. Also, as one 23mm barrel is inoperative then it would seem the ZU-23's ROF is cut in half from 10 to 5, comparing different 23mm autocannons in the T2K v2.2 Heavy Weapons Handbook. (Or, if we're going from Paul Mulcahy's site then the ROF of 20 goes down to 10, it would therefore be 3 bursts x10 and 1 Burst x9.) If any of these assumptions are incorrect please clarify so I can correct my post.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:40, Fri 26 Dec 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 912 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Thu 25 Dec 2008
at 15:47
Re: A Fork in the Road
Sam McCoy:
" I can Ride if that means anything..."
Anneka's head snapped up, "How well?"
An extra rider amongst the combat troops would be very useful and take the load off Dawid and the now wounded Jason.
Sam McCoy
 player, 168 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Thu 25 Dec 2008
at 22:34
Re: A Fork in the Road
"How well can I ride? Well, I have never had any complaints. Ha. No, I have had a bike my entire adult life. In Virginia, only the rich had cars- the people who worked had dirt bikes and the poor and lazy walked."

"I rode a 92' Road King back at Bragg. I assume it's now radiation or is being used by someone. Well, God bless them if they can."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:54, Fri 26 Dec 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 339 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 26 Dec 2008
at 16:05
Re: A Fork in the Road
Blinking away fatigue, Griet slowly responded to the threat beside them by bringing the PKM to bear on the right side to engage the enemy.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 427 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 26 Dec 2008
at 16:07
Re: A Fork in the Road
Mariusz's chin drifted even more solidly onto his chest and his eyelids felt heavy. In the back of his mind he could hear the buzz of more engine noise. That meant something, probably something important, but he was just too tired to make the connections needed.
Minh Quyen
 player, 335 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 27 Dec 2008
at 12:52
Re: A Fork in the Road
The firing took Quyen by surprise. She had allowed herself to relax a little and exhaustion had begun to wear her down. Sitting in the darkened back, listening to the monotonous engine sounds, she was nearly unconscious.

He rifle was leaning towards her with the but on the floor. Alarmed she raised it and looked around to find out what was happening and to be ready to react to any orders forthcoming.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 79 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Sat 27 Dec 2008
at 20:47
Re: A Fork in the Road
Back aboard the Honker, Ondar let his eyes grow heavy and close.  Sleep was not realistic given conditions of the road and the vehicle's suspension, but rest would suffice.  A little rest was certainly better than no rest at all.

Initially, he had been reluctant to allow himself the luxury of relaxation, but from his position in the troop carrier he would have to rely on the skill of others manning the lookout posts.  His head drooped and he had just slipped into a pseudo dream-state recalling his youth in the rolling hills of Tuva when he was startled awake by he sound of heavy weapons fire.

"What that !?!" the paratooper demands.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 546 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 28 Dec 2008
at 03:45
Re: A Fork in the Road
Tucker seemed to get a little comfortable on the pintle mount of the AGS-17 on the T-H as they roll down the trail in the park.  He started to relax finally from the action in the town and felt his eyes getting heavy from the lack of decent sleep the past couple of days.  Robert is startled when he hears a call from either in front of him or from behind him in the troop carrier and then sees another T-H vehicle is mirroring them.

At that point the reality sets in when he sees the PKM on the squad carrier turning towards them and he sweeps the AGS-17 grenade launcher and fires a string of grenades at the vehicle(s).  "CONTACT!  FUCKING CONTACT!"

Tucker
AGS-17
Firing string of rounds at the T-H

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:08, Tue 30 Dec 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1088 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 28 Dec 2008
at 04:01
Crash

75m to the party's right, the unidentified Tarpan-Honker motors on, its gunner hastily lining up its counterpart. For some reason, the gunner does not fire. Instead, he starts screaming at his driver who abruptly speeds up, gradually pulling ahead of the party's vehicles in a race for the y-shaped road junction which must be coming up soon. The 4x4 star is slow to react to its leader's sudden and apparently unexpected acceleration. After a couple of seconds, the STAR's driver attempts to follow suit.

As soon as he saw the shadowing force, Dawid cranks the ZU-23-2's traverse and elevation wheels until the big gun is pointing at the 4x4 STAR. Just as it begins to pull ahead of the gun-truck, Dawid presses the foot pedal and sends a 6-round burst its way. HEI-T rounds scream downrange in a just a few fractions of a second. One round blasts apart the 4x4's rear, left tire. Two more tear through its cargo bed, shredding wood, metal, and flesh. A third would have hit the bed, but instead explodes against a tree that just happened to have interposed itself between the cannon and its target.

The smaller STAR shudders under the impact and slews left, running off the dirt track and smashing headlong into a tree. The impact throws the passenger seat occupant through the windshield and the survivors in the bed into the back of the cab (one tumbles out over the low guardrail. The tree doesn't survive the impact, falling down towards the anticipated crossroads up ahead.

Meanwhile, the shadow T-H's gunner works desperately on his PKM, which must have suffered a stoppage or misfire. The racing T-H is now about three or four car-lengths ahead of the party's foremost vehicle, about 50m off to the right, and angling towards a junction somewhere up ahead.

Tucker sends a flurry of 30mm HE grenades towards the hostile T-H. The projectiles explode puffs of smoke just behind the accelerating Polish jeep. It's possible that the vehicle and/or its occupants have taken some fragments but there are no clear signs of any hits.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:07, Sun 28 Dec 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 914 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sun 28 Dec 2008
at 05:49
Re: A Fork in the Road
In reply to Sam McCoy (msg #208):

Relief flooded across her face as the difficult task of finding a replacement driver evaporated.
"Good, you're it then. Saddle up and lead us out."

A short while later....
Anneka had settled herself in the Star's cabin and almost drifted off into a fitful nap when the roar of 23mm round ripped through the air from behind. With a hand on Jason in an unspoken directive to stay seated, she lifted the top hatch, climbed up and rested her RPK-74 on the roof.
Sam McCoy
 player, 170 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 28 Dec 2008
at 07:54
Re: A Fork in the Road
To Ann

"Well then you have a rider."

When Sam gets to the bike, he will address the boy.

"Well when we stop we can try to get the PKM from David and set it up on the trike. But, until then, try to keep your burst to 3 round bursts. It will keep your muzzle rise down and will keep you on target. I have experience in this."


"I will drive hard but I will need your help when we turn. I will need you to lean in the direction of the turn, this will help me drive. Also, I will yell when we turn or brake and this will help you in your duties of the gunner and spotter. Got any questions? If not, then let's roll."


Sam will do a quick once over of the bike, doing a quick pre combat check. He will then do the same for his gear now strapped to the bike and his personal gear.

"When's the last time you did a pre-combat check?"

Sam will start the bike and head out. He will go about 250 Meters in front of the convoy doing recon.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:31, Sun 28 Dec 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 428 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 28 Dec 2008
at 12:56
Re: A Fork in the Road
"OK," Mariusz replied to McCoy's orders.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 340 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 28 Dec 2008
at 12:58
Re: A Fork in the Road
Griet flinched as the autocannon roared. She blinked hard, fighting the fatigue that threatened to overwhelm her and continued to settle the PKMG where she could fire at the enemy.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1090 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 28 Dec 2008
at 20:44
Jason's Wound (GM supplemental)

In the half light of the pre-dawn, Anneka examines Jason's lower hip wound. About five inches below the pilot's hip joint, on the outside of his upper thigh, Anneka finds a small, neat hole. She reaches into the hole she's torn in Jason's Nomex flight suit and feels around the circumferance of his thigh, searching for an exit wound. There is none. The wound isn't bleeding enough to suggest a severed artery and, although it is painful, Jason still has decent range of motion, suggesting that there has been no significant damage to hip joint, pelvis, or femur. Based on the damage and the reported range of the engagement, there is probably a 5.45mm bullet lodged deeply in Jason's upper leg. It would take some heavy duty probing in order to remove it. Aware that she has neither the time nor tools at the moment to do so, she leaves the bullet in place and quickly sutures the wound (it takes only three stitches), bandages it, and returns to the STAR's cab.

In great discomfort, Jason is left to sit/lie atop the M43 mortar.

OOC: Jason is still mobile but modest movement rate penalties will apply. The pain might aslo add small penalties to certain skill checks. Without the administering of antibiotics, the threat of a serious, potentially fatal infection exists.
Sam McCoy
 player, 172 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 28 Dec 2008
at 21:25
Re: Jason's Wound (GM supplemental)
On hearing the Anti-Aircraft gone go off Sam yells

"what the fuck was that look to the rear and get  me a sit rep. We are going to turn off the road and set up in a covered position until we know whats going on."


Sam will look left or right for a covered area. when he find ones he will yell to the pole that they are turning.


Sam
riding
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 429 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 28 Dec 2008
at 22:09
Re: Jason's Wound (GM supplemental)
'What the fuck was that look to the rear?' Mariusz looked confused at the soldier's harsh words. He hadn't looked to the rear...

Slowly he realised that the statement hadn't been a question, it had been an order. He turned around and looked blearily back down the dirt track, he buck and snapped around as McCoy performed his wild manouvres.

He squinted to see if he could see anything.


"I don't have a visual yet, but from the sound I'd say an AA gun just fired and hit a target in the woods." Mariusz said, "I'd guess it's ours as the chances of another Zoo-2 armed gun truck being just here is minimal. That's merely an assumption however. Would you like me to radio back and ask?"
Sam McCoy
 player, 173 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 28 Dec 2008
at 22:34
Re: Jason's Wound (GM supplemental)
"Try to get a radio report if you can. I will hide here and wait for there orders."


"thanks for the quick work young brother."



Sam
riding to hide
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 430 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 28 Dec 2008
at 23:20
Re: Jason's Wound (GM supplemental)
"Boss," Mariusz said over the radio, "this is Scout, what's going on, we're hiding up and waiting on your orders, Over."
Sam McCoy
 player, 174 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Mon 29 Dec 2008
at 01:25
Re: Jason's Wound (GM supplemental)
"Let's hang low young brother; we don't need to get killed being heroes for no reason. Now, being a hero for a reason- that's what you get killed for. Haha. Now brace up that RPK and I will get my rifle out."

Sam and the boy will hide the best they can in the trees and turn off the motor. He will set local secuirty while he instructs the youth to set up a PDF going down the road to cover the area they just came from.

"Cover back down the road with that gun and don't fire until I tell you to. No need killing our own guys."

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:59, Wed 31 Dec 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1076 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 29 Dec 2008
at 02:27
Re: Jason's Wound (GM supplemental)
It was gratifying to see the enemy Star take some hits and wipe out. However, he guessed that he couldn't swing the Flak gun around to engage the surviving vehicle because of the mortar crammed in behind it on the truck bed.

"Griet, shoot at the other vehicle, if you can!"

Besides, those may not be the only threats out there! He kept the AA Gun trained on the crashed vehicle, keeping an eye on the rear in case more attackers showed from that direction.


23mm ZU-23-2 (29/100 rounds HEI)
On AA gun
Covering the rear

Konrad Bayer
 player, 873 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 29 Dec 2008
at 03:26
Re: Jason's Wound (GM supplemental)
"Left side rapid fire! RAPID!" Bayer yells to his fellow dismounts. Firing from a moving vehicle would have to be made up with a high volume of fire to compensate for the lack of accuracy.

Into his radio he says, "Go go go. Don't stop."

Hearing Mariusz's query, he replies, "Close range contact... soft skin transport." Not expecting (or hoping) anything was ahead, he adds, "Need you back here."
Sam McCoy
 player, 175 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Mon 29 Dec 2008
at 05:13
Re: Jason's Wound (GM supplemental)
"Tell him to gun battle past us and we will ambush them with the RPK and the M25."

"Moving back to a friendly unit in a fight is bad game; it will get us killed."

"Tell him we are on the left side of the road in the trees, 250 meters ahead; we will open up when they go by."



Sam will unsling his rifle and get ready.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:00, Wed 31 Dec 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 431 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 29 Dec 2008
at 10:33
Re: Jason's Wound (GM supplemental)
"Sir," Mariusz replied, "sub-unit commander adviises we are left of you and 250m forward. He advises you continue to our position and bypass us and we engage the enemy from ambush, Over?"

Mariusz struggled slowly to find a firing position and kept the radio handy.
Sam McCoy
 player, 176 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Mon 29 Dec 2008
at 21:09
Ambush
"Thanks for the work brother now steady 3 round bursts"



Sam
ambush
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1092 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 29 Dec 2008
at 21:22
Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Tucker quickly slews the AGS-17 around, trying to track the accelerating Tarpan-Honker. He fires another burst and watches again as rounds explode all around the vehicle. The passengers in the back cower as shrapnel slices through the air all around them but, once again, Tucker can't be sure what- if any- damage he's been able to do. To top it all off, the Plamya has jammed.

In the back of the party's 6x6 STAR, Dawid attempts to traverse the ZU-23-2 forward in order to engage the speeding enemy squad carrier. Due to the stowed 120mm mortar and the STAR's own cab, he's unable to establish LOS to his desired target. Griet wisely decides not to fire the PKM at the same target. To hit it, she would have to fire very near to the party's own T-H and she knows that her skill is probably not up to the task, especially doing so from the lurching bed of a moving truck. The chances of raking her own T-H are just to great.

Looking back, from his seat atop the mortar tube, Jason sees the smashed cab of the crashed STAR 4x4 burst into flames.

Mariusz and Sam, lying in wait on the west side of the road and facing their backtrail, can see the y-shaped intersection just 50m ahead. They first hear, then see, the enemy T-H racing towards them. It must be doing about 60-70 kph, a reckless speed on a dirt track through a thick wood. Off to the right, and at least 100m from the intersection, they see their own T-H coming towards them.

OOC: To clarify, the enemy T-H is now between the trike and the rest of the convoy. Once again, imagine a Y. The trike is now near the base of the stem, on the tail. The enemy T-H is on the left side, closer to the base, and the party is on the right, a little further away.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:25, Mon 29 Dec 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 432 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 29 Dec 2008
at 22:02
Re: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Mariusz tried to focus blearily through the sights and squeezed off a series of three round bursts at the squad carrier heading toward them. He hoped the light rounds would hit, and that they would do some damage if and when they did.


Mariusz
4 3 round bursts at the Tarpan Honker (the enemy one)
RPK-74 40/40
Sitting in the sidecar at the junction of the Y...

This message was last edited by the player at 22:04, Mon 29 Dec 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1077 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 29 Dec 2008
at 23:34
Re: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Swinging the AA gun around, Dawid covered the rear and rear-right sectors. There may well be others coming from the same direction, especially if either vehicle was in radio contact with their HQ when they were spotted.


23mm Flak (29/100 HEI)
Covering the rear and rear-right sectors
Back of the Star

Sam McCoy
 player, 177 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Tue 30 Dec 2008
at 00:28
Re: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
"That's it brother, 3-round bursts on the target. Keep up the fire right into the grill..."

Sam will now fire hammered pairs into the trucks grill until he is bingo on ammo. He will fire one magazine or until the truck passes. If the truck passes he will then fire into the bed from the rear. Once his mag is gone he will reload and cease fire.

Sam
hammered pairs
M25

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:07, Tue 30 Dec 2008.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 370 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Tue 30 Dec 2008
at 03:14
Re: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Seated on the mortar tube with the F88 resting on the floorboards of the bed and its barrel (and that of the M-203, as well) pointing up over his shoulder, Jason watches the enemy Star burst into flames.  "Whoo-ee!  Look at that sucker burn!" he says to nobody in particular.  He then directly addresses Dawid, "Nice shooting, Tex."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1078 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 30 Dec 2008
at 05:11
Re: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
In reply to Jason Kasparov (msg #234):

Dawid glanced back and grinned. "Same here, you had some nice shooting yourself not too long ago. Now, let us trust our comrades will do the same!"


23mm Flak (29/100 HEI)
Covering the rear and rear-right sectors
Back of the Star

Minh Quyen
 player, 336 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 30 Dec 2008
at 06:35
Re: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Hearing the call for a high volume of fire from the Hauptmann, Quyen turns and faces the vehicles. Kneeling on the bench she steadies the rifle as best she could, considering the fast and bumpy ride. Doing he best to keep the center of the truck in her sights, she fires off 5 shots.

Quyen
AK74 (30/30)
Honker Rear
Firing max semiautomatic at nearest truck in LOS

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 341 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 30 Dec 2008
at 12:51
Re: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Without a safe target, Griet kept the PKMG trained toward the threat and did her best to blink back the sleep that threatened to envelope her.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1094 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 30 Dec 2008
at 20:31
Hit and Run

As the enemy T-H pulls ahead of the main body of the party's convoy, Minh hefts the long barrel of her RPK-47 over the heads of the front seat occupants and fires off a burst. Between the movement of the two vehicles, the weapon's muzzle blast, and the wind rushing through the open cab, she can't tell if she hit anything.

As the unfriendly Tarpan-Honker barrels towards them, Mariusz rips off a couple of bursts at its engine compartment. The first burst sails over the heads of the terrified looking pair in the front seats; the second skips off the road beneath the speeding jeep.

Sam, meanwhile, fixes his sights on the grille of the engine and squeezes off a double-tap. Both rounds impact with a lound CLANG. A second double tap results in a another pair of hits. White smoke or steam begins leaking out of the engine compartment.

And then, just like that, the enemy Tarpan-Honker is upon them, swerving wildly onto the main road. It races past uncomfortably close, without slowing- if anything, it's sped up even more- and showering the ambushing pair with dust and small stones. The front passenger squeezes off a long automatic burst from his AKM, attemtping to rake the ambushers. Fortunately, his fire his high and wild. By the time Sam and Mariusz reacquire sight of the fleeing T-H, it is well past 200m away and passing out of sight around a slight northeast curve in the road, leaving a trail of white smoke (or steam) behind it.

The rest of the convoy arrives at the crossroads at about the same time as the dust begins to settle and is soon upon the scout/ambush team.

Actions?
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 917 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Tue 30 Dec 2008
at 22:34
Re: Hit and Run
"We should chase it down," Anneka yelled as the truck she was in drew closer. Out of their three vehicles, only the motorbike really had a chance of success though.
"We'll check over the other truck." A gesture indicated she only meant the Star, leaving Konrad and the T-H to do whatever the tactical commander thought best.
The cold early morning air had reminded her of the perils they faced. Without adequate shelter, or even just a few tents, the'd soon be seeing cases of exposure. Once the snows really began they'd all be in very big trouble.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1080 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 30 Dec 2008
at 23:09
Re: Hit and Run
In reply to Anneka Soleblume (msg #239):

Hearing Anneka's shout about checking out the other Start Dawid pointed out, "the other truck is on fire."

He continued his watch to the rear.
Sam McCoy
 player, 178 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Tue 30 Dec 2008
at 23:33
Re: Hit and Run

"If you hurry, Major, you might be able to get some personal gear and some shit out the back. If the Major wants me to, I can chase down the truck. I hit them in the engine with a couple of pairs of 7.62mm. If I hit the radiator, they can't go but a few klicks and then their engine will seize. If the squad carrier follows me, then I can stop them; the carrier can kill them. We need the gear for Warsaw! The flame won't jump to the back of the truck- it's too cold and there is nothing to burn. That's just my guess. But we must hurry, please order."

"Good job brother with the RPK. But see why I want to mount the PKM. We won't hit shit until the gun is mounted."

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:02, Wed 31 Dec 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 918 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Wed 31 Dec 2008
at 00:03
Re: Hit and Run
"Go, then. Hurry!" she urged McCoy, including Jan (the T-H driver) in her directive.
"We'll be right behind you," she yelled to Konrad before motioning Adam (or whoever is driving the Star) to make for the burning truck.

"Just grab what you can quickly and we'll go," she called back to Dawid, Jason, Griet and Walter*.
"Watch out for enemy survivors though."
"Jason, you take over the grenade launcher while we're stopped and keep watch."
"Adam, I want the engine running and pointed back this way."

Brief orders given, she climbed back into the cab and prepared to debark for their brief salvage effort.

Chances were that the crashed truck contained little of use, but better to check now while they could than regret it later.


* I think that's all on the Star.
Sam McCoy
 player, 179 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Wed 31 Dec 2008
at 00:12
Re: Hit and Run
With the majors orders sam takes off.

"We will follow but not too fast- we do not want to become the hunted ourselves".

"Off we go brother, spot and shot."


Sam will pull out onto the road tracking the truck. He will ensure that he will not follow too close and let the truck die on its own. Once he sees the truck they will hold back 100 meters and cover the truck waiting for the dismounts; if he see's targets he will engage with his rifle.

Before Sam leaves, he will look to the ground for water or other leaking fluids. If he see's some he will follow that track.

Sam
Tracking prey
M25

This message was last edited by the player at 09:19, Wed 31 Dec 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 433 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 31 Dec 2008
at 01:00
Re: Hit and Run
Mariusz pulled the automatic rifle to his shoulder and waited until he was in range to fire.

When he was he began to fire evenly spaced shots at the truck.


Mariusz
5 Quick shots at the truck
RPK-74 28/40
Trike

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 342 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 31 Dec 2008
at 01:03
Re: Hit and Run
Griet grabbed the radio and said to Bayer, "Sir, I hope we're not stopping to loot, we had to at the town but picked up the pursuit, then we stopped and nearly got caught, then we did it again. I strongly advie we push on now until we can be sure of having broken contact."
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 919 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Wed 31 Dec 2008
at 01:15
Re: Hit and Run
"Two minutes. That's all."
Just enough time to get a quick look at who it was chasing them and grab anything not nailed down.
Besides, it kept most of the non-combatants out of the firing line in the chase after the damaged Honker.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 372 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Wed 31 Dec 2008
at 01:39
Re: Hit and Run
Jason winces in pain as he sits down behind the Mk-19 with the F88 on the bed at his side.  He keeps the big grenade launcher's barrel elevated and clear as the others climb down from the 6x6 Star.  Once everyone is on the ground, he brings the muzzle down to a ready position and covers what he can of both roads.

Jason K.
Star bed
Mk-19 [50/50 HVHEDP]
Covering

This message was last edited by the player at 01:41, Wed 31 Dec 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1081 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 31 Dec 2008
at 02:30
Re: Hit and Run
Realising that he hadn't elaborated enough, Dawid explained, "we have enough guns and ammunition. The only thing we really need if fuel... which is what is burning."

"What we also really need is time. Too bad the other vehicle got away."


His eyes met Griet's, agreeing with her, then he looked away.

"Okay Major, we're going," he said without noticeable enthusiasm.

He unslung the Tantal and checked to make sure the safety was off and that it was set to single shot, then flipped his NVGs down. The grenade launcher was loaded with a round of 40mm HE.

"Maybe we'll find a jerry can with petrol. Or some cigarettes. Or the Black Madonna."

"Griet, you take the PKM, I'll be in the lead."


He waited util they backtracked down the other road to the burning Star. Getting out, he led Griet and Walter there to find whatever was worth takikng. It was likely that not everyone had died, so he was ready to encounter resistance.


5.45mm Tantal/BG-15 (30/1 HE)
Moving and Aiming to Cover
Approaching the burning truck along the side of the road

This message was last edited by the player at 02:42, Wed 31 Dec 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 923 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Wed 31 Dec 2008
at 02:36
Re: Hit and Run
"Food and shelter are important too."
Fuel would have been nice, but as they could all see, that was unlikely. At the very least they would gain some valuable intel and perhaps a tent, sleeping bags and other camping equipment, vital if they were to last out in the open.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1083 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 31 Dec 2008
at 03:07
Re: Hit and Run
Anneka Soleblume:
"Food and shelter are important too."


Dawid looked back and nodded.

"Yes of course, they certainly have food and shelter... back at Kozienice. This is probably a patrol from the Kozienice garrison sent to intercept us."

"Jason, I am glad you are covering us, right?"


He looked back at the burning truck and sighed.

"Come on, time is fucking wasting."

Closer to the wreck he yelled in Polish, "HEY! Is anyone there, are you hurt?"

Tantal/BG-15 (30/1HE)
Approaching Truck
Near the side of the road

This message was last edited by the player at 03:10, Wed 31 Dec 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 337 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 31 Dec 2008
at 08:53
Re: Hit and Run
Quyen will remain at her position, on the Honker's bench watching over the railing.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 343 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 31 Dec 2008
at 12:40
Re: Hit and Run
Griet eased herself off the truck and dragged the PKM off the bed. Slowly she slung the weapon across her body and readied it for standing fire. She staggered, her knees buckling under the weight and her back aching. She could barely keep her eyes open as she came around the truck.

She slipped as she moved off the dirt track and cursed, the muzzle had dug itself into the earth. She paused to unclog it, everything appeared in blurred slow motion. She stood again and moved toward the burning truck.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1084 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 31 Dec 2008
at 14:36
Re: Hit and Run
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg #252):

Dawid stopped to let Griet get it together. He was tired as well, but at the moment adrenaline was pumping through his veins, keeping everything clear (if a little jumpy).

"Do not take this as an insult: if you are too tired to concentrate then by all means stay here at the truck, I don't want you to get hurt."

When she was ready, he checked his watch and they proceeded.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:34, Wed 31 Dec 2008.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 548 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 31 Dec 2008
at 15:50
Re: Hit and Run
Tucker yells out and curses when the grenade launcher jams up on him.  "JAM!  I GOT A FUCKIN' JAM!"  He works the charging handle on the AGS-17 to try and clear the stoppage the quickest he can and get back on target.  When he sees the oterh T-H speed off and his rounds don't look like they did much to slow it down and is pissed that he couldn't stop it.  Now, McCoy has to go out with Mariusz and finish off what he could've.

Tucker
AGS-17 [23/33]
Clearing jam in weapon
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 344 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 31 Dec 2008
at 16:08
Re: Hit and Run
Griet rubbed her eyes and said slowly, "It's alright, we keep following orders and there'll be plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead. Let's get this done, before something else catches us up, again."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1085 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 31 Dec 2008
at 16:33
Re: Hit and Run
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg #255):

"Ha! That's the spirit."

He called back, "Anneka, have Adam disengage the trailer and back down the other road."

This message was last edited by the player at 07:20, Thu 01 Jan 2009.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 925 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Thu 1 Jan 2009
at 01:26
Re: Hit and Run
Seeing that turing around with the tailer hitched was likely to be problematic, Anneka made the tough decision to leave it at the crossroads, although in position to quickly reattach on the way back past. Leaving the fuel trailer, even just a few hundred metres away, was painful but ultimately necessary. Their vehicles tanks had been topped off recently so if they had to move fast and couldnt' recover it, the loss shouldn't be too disasterous.

"Reverse down," she directed the driver, and provided what assistance she could observing through the roof hatch.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 262 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 1 Jan 2009
at 11:53
Re: Hit and Run
Unable to get a clear shot at either vehicle, Dave watches the action. As the unknown Honker pulls out in front of them, Dave holds his fire, afraid of hitting McCoy or Mariusz.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1099 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 1 Jan 2009
at 20:10
Bookends

With the Tarpan-Honker holding the cross-roads, the Ural trike heads out in pursuit of the wounded enemy squad carrier while the STAR 6x6, leaving the tanker trailer behind, backs up along the dirt track towards the wreck of its smaller cousin.

Scout Team

About 500m north of the crossroads, Sam and Mariusz spot the enemy T-H, parked on the right side of the road, thick smoke or steam billowing out from its open bonnet. Amid the white clouds, they see several of its crew who, almost simultaneously spot them. One of them raises his rifle to fire, while several others scatter in search of cover. The two groups are about 150m apart.

Gun-Truck

From the bed of the reversing gun-truck, Jason, Griet, and Dawid can see the brightly burning STAR 4x4 through the trees. The cab is fully engulfed in flames and thick, black smoke filters up through the canopy into the pale blue sky. As they get closer, they see several figures lying supine on the ground about 50m away from the truck on the dirt track. A standing soldier, dragging an injured comrade towards the rest of the group, spots the gun-truck. He hesitates, seemingly at a loss for what to do next- fight, run, or surrender. Laying his comrade down gently, he opts for the latter, throwing himself on the mercy of the approaching bandit force. He raises his hands and appears to advise his companions- those still able to do so, at any rate- to do the same. He wears the older, threadbare, splinter pattern combat fatigues and appears to be no more than 18 years of age. Tears stream down his grimy face.

With Jason providing overwatch with the Mk-19, Dawid, Walter, and Griet dismount and proceed towards the burning wreck. The bed just aft of the cab is also on fire and as they get closer, small arms ammunition starts cooking off. The frightened conscripts flinch and one of them, unable to withstand the fear of the unknown, breaks away, running with a pronounced limp down the track towards the southeast. Five remain- the standing teenager and four of his injured comrades, laying helplessly on the ground. The acrid smell of burning rubber is tinged with a nauseating odor that resembles overcooked bacon.

For what seems like minutes, the two groups stare uneasily at one another, the roar of the fire and the popping of the ammunition providing a grim sonic backdrop. Suddenly, Walter's voice cuts in as he shouts,

"My God, they've found us!"

He points towards the south, down the branching road (the same one they'd originally come down). Looking in the direction indicated, the rest of the dismount group sees the first of the two armored troop-carrying trucks held up by Jason and Mariusz's ambush rumbling in their general direction. After a significant delay, the pursuit force has arrived on the scene and they've no doubt spotted the burning STAR (they may not be able to see the party's gun-truck though, due to the smoke- this cuts both ways). They stop about 200m away and begin disgorging their infantry.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:11, Thu 01 Jan 2009.

Sam McCoy
 player, 181 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Thu 1 Jan 2009
at 22:18
Re: Bookends
Sam Yells
"going right hard into the trees."

Sam will pull into the trees about 25 meters and he will dismount and prep to fire.

"Take out the active shooter. I will set up to take out the other targets."

Sam will get off the bike seek cover and start to fire with his sniper rifle at the bad guys. he will fire single aimed shots with his scoped rifle.


Sam
Action
M25
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1087 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 1 Jan 2009
at 23:28
Re: Bookends
My God, this was unbelievable, Dawid thought.

By all rights it should have taken hours for the pursuit force to get untangled and get on the road again after being ambushed. Yet, here they were, after a delay of only a few minutes minutes.

He was so tired this seemed hilarious and he began to laugh. "What a fucking joke. Run!"

"Adam, once we're on board head back to the intersectoion!"
he called.

"Jason, cover fire on the vehicles to our west south-west!"

Dropping a smoke grenade to help out the natural smoke cover, he sprinted back to the Star to climb aboard, dragging Griet and Walter with him. Once on board he climbed up on the 23mm AA and yelled, "Adam, go!"


Tantal/BG-15 (30/1 HE)
Dropping smoke, Running back to the Star, climbing on board
Side of the branching road.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:05, Fri 02 Jan 2009.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 434 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 1 Jan 2009
at 23:48
Re: Bookends
Mariusz leapt from the trike and turned to see if he could locate the firer, if he could, he intended to fire the rest of his magazine in the general direction of the enemy. then he intended to hi the ground to reload.

Mariusz
RPK-74 23/40
Two and a bit long bursts
Then hitting the deck

This message was last edited by the player at 23:51, Thu 01 Jan 2009.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 928 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Fri 2 Jan 2009
at 00:01
Re: Bookends
Anneka shared Dawids incredulation. The crashed BRDM along with the deployment of their troops at that site should have kept them busy for at least another five or ten minutes while they cleared the road to ensure there were no more mines, and embussed their troops once more. The arrival at the intersection after just a few short minutes was just unbelievable!

Grabbing the radio, Anneka began a task that so far she'd only trained in.
"Contact south!"
"Request immediate HE fire support."
"Location six hundred metres south of intersection on main road. Over."

With the impending doom the crew of the Star faced, a proper sitrep would have to wait until rounds were incoming from the only weapon capable of reaching that far - the AGS-17.


Attempting to call indirect fire
RPK-74 30/30
2 spare 30rd mags

This message was last edited by the player at 01:47, Mon 05 Jan 2009.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 373 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Fri 2 Jan 2009
at 19:11
Re: Bookends
Following the line of Walter's pointing arm, Jason traverses the Mk-19 to the right, attempting to acquire any viable target through the smoke.  If anything or anybody is spotted, he opens fire with the automatic launcher, laying down a barrage to take out what targets are visible.

This was my fault he thinks.  I knew those guys should have been able to mount up again quickly and get back on the road.  I should have spoken up when the Major wanted to investigate the burning truck.  Now it's too late.  He fails to take into consideration the fact that he was in pain, perhaps even in mild shock when the decision was made.

Jason K.
Star 6x6 bed
Mk-19 AGL [50/50]
Seeking targets

This message was last edited by the player at 23:36, Fri 02 Jan 2009.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 345 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 2 Jan 2009
at 23:21
Re: Bookends
I knew something like this would happen, Griet thought to herself as she turned to run toward the Star, she hoped to reach it and get on to the bed so they could run. Run as sthe should have done when she said, not wait to investigate a burning wreck.

Her legs felt like lead and the frozen dark earth jarred her ankles. If she made it through this night she would be having very stern words with her father. Mind you, she thought, thanks to the Major's meddling it was a big if.

Griet
PKMG 100/100
Running toward the Star.

Minh Quyen
 player, 338 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 3 Jan 2009
at 07:31
Re: Bookends
Quyen sits and continues to cover her arc from the Honker's bed. Had she realized the trouble brewing with the other vehicles, she would have breathed a sigh of relieve that her transport was well on its way out of here.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 549 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 3 Jan 2009
at 21:27
Re: Bookends
Anneka Soleblume:
Grabbing the radio, Anneka began a task that so far she'd only trained in.
"Contact south!"
"Request immediate HE fire support."
"Location four hundred metres south of intersection on main road. Over."

With the impending doom the crew of the Star faced, a proper sitrep would have to wait until rounds were incoming from the only weapon capable of reaching that far - the AGS-17.
It took Tucker by complete surprise when the call from Annika comes over the radio that they had additional contact from the rear.  "I guess these fuckin' clowns were better organized than we had hoped and or they got really pissed that we killed some of their people back there and on the road behind us.  It could've been those assholes too who were set up to ambush us before we took this fork in the road.  No matter, we're in for a fight now," Tucker thinks to himslef as he swings the AGS-17 to the rear where Anneka called out contact.  He keys the radio mike, "Roger that!  Contact south.  Confirm on range of Six-Zero-Zero meters.  Rounds might be ineffective at that range, Copy?"

Robert waits for new orders on whether to fire or not.

Tucker
AGS-17 [20/30]
Waiting for orders to engage or not

This message was last edited by the player at 02:29, Mon 05 Jan 2009.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 264 posts
Sun 4 Jan 2009
at 00:46
Re: Bookends

This message was deleted by the player at 00:00, Tue 06 Jan 2009.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1103 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 4 Jan 2009
at 21:27
Slinky Combat

With Jason looking for targets to engage with the Mk-19, Dawid drops smoke and helps the others reboard the gun-truck. Quickly, the colored smoke spreads to mingle with the oily, black smoke from the burning STAR. The opaque barrier conceals both the party and the pursuit force from one another. Both groups have enough discipline to hold fire.

As soon as last person is aboard, Adam hits the accelerator and races through the gears, making for the crossroads at a speed that under normal circumstances wouldn't be safe. In just a few seconds, the tanker trailer and the party's Tarpan-Honker appear through the trees. The gun-truck skids to a halt at the crossroads.

Meanwhile, roughly 500m to the north, Mariusz and Sam hastily debouche from the Ural trike and take cover behind sturdy looking trees. Mariusz is the first of the pair to fire, laying down a quick burst at the firing [standing] enemy. The man flinches and stumbles backwards, clutching at his belly. The other three enemy take cover behind trees and begin returning fire. Sam picks out a target and fires, hitting the tree just inches from the man's face. Similarly, an incoming round smacks into the tree behind which Mariusz is laying prone. Mariusz RPK has jammed on the last round and he is unable to answer for the moment.

Actions?
Jason Kasparov
 player, 375 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sun 4 Jan 2009
at 22:09
Re: Slinky Combat
Jason trains the MK-19 down the road, ready to open fire on anything or anybody that appears while (if?) the trailer is being hitched.  "Hurry up with that and let's get out of here!"
Sam McCoy
 player, 182 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Mon 5 Jan 2009
at 00:51
Re: Slinky Combat
Sam will continue to fire aimed shots at the bad guys. Any body part that is visable will be shot at. Sam will stay covered and concealed the best he can.




Sam
targets
M25
Konrad Bayer
 player, 875 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 5 Jan 2009
at 06:47
Re: Slinky Combat
"Dismount." Bayer says just loud enough for the dismounts to hear. "Go heavy. Take anti-armor weapons." Looking at Tucker, he adds, "Guide Jan one tactical bound further down the road. Get into a position where you can just barely see the crossroads to fire... dismount the AGS if you have to. That... the crossroads... will be the kill zone. Give enough room on the road for the flak truck to get by you."

As the dismounts climb back out, he explains, "We will setup a hasty ambush. Allow our forces to pass, then engage any pursuers when they enter the crossroads area."

Waving his arms he illustrates, "L shaped ambush. AGS on the Honker forming the base, and everyone else in the woods forming a line of flanking, enfiladed fire."

"We halt them, pin them, then the dismounts advance to sweep and clear the kill zone in a close assault."

"Open fire on my command."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1094 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 5 Jan 2009
at 11:13
Re: Slinky Combat
Dawid dismounted to reattach the tank trailer, the re-mounted when done.

He called forward, "Adam, keep going until you see the motorcycle! We'll see if they need help with the other Honker."

As they drove off he switched the ammo on the Mk.19, swapping the can of HEDP for HE.

"There, we do not seem to need anti-armour rounds at this time."

Dawid laughed ruefully. "I am conflicted about my countrymen. They are showing admirable resilience and tenacity, although I would have wished for this display on another day."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 435 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 5 Jan 2009
at 12:08
Re: Slinky Combat
Mariusz lay as close to the ground as he could and concentrated on clearing the jam and reloading with the last of his forty round magazines. He breathed quickly, waiting for he flurry of bullets that was bound to answer his fusillade.

Mariusz
RPK: Clearing jam.
Loading 40 round magazine

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 346 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 5 Jan 2009
at 12:10
Re: Slinky Combat
Once she was back on the truck bed, Griet lay down behind some of the cargo and trained the PKMG on the pursuing troops. Carefully, she checked the muzzle for blockages before preparing to fire.

Griet
PKMG 100/100
Aiming

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 551 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 5 Jan 2009
at 22:16
Re: Slinky Combat
Konrad Bayer:
"Dismount." Bayer says just loud enough for the dismounts to hear. "Go heavy. Take anti-armor weapons." Looking at Tucker, he adds, "Guide Jan one tactical bound further down the road. Get into a position where you can just barely see the crossroads to fire... dismount the AGS if you have to. That... the crossroads... will be the kill zone. Give enough room on the road for the flak truck to get by you."
Tucker moves a little bit behind the grenade launcher so that he can hear Konrad give his orders so that he's on the same page.

"I don't know if I want to dismount the launcher in case we've got to 'di-di' real quick boss.  I got a good steady base under me now and we can go mobile fairly quick if we need to.  Me and Jan will take care of it.  We got your backs Konrad," he says down from the squad carrier as he reaches down for a fresh belt of ammo for the AGS-17 and dropping the partially used one nearby.

"YO JAN," Robert yells out as he switches the belted ammo on the launcher.  "Konrad wants us down the road just barely in sight of the crossroads.  The crossroads are going to be the kill zone and leave enough room so that the flak gun truck can get by us.  Let's get a move on, we ain't got much time to get set.  OPFOR's got to be under 600 meters by now!"

Tucker will help guide Jan to a spot where he thinks is what Konrad wanted them to park and get set up.  Once they're set up and parked, Robert will try to get a bead on the crossroads and sight it in so he's ready to fire on order.  When they're set, he calls for Konraf on the radio, "Ready to go boss!  Confirm, I'm waiting on your order to engage, over?"

Tucker
AGS-17 [30/30 HE]
In T-H set up and ready to fire

Konrad Bayer
 player, 877 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 6 Jan 2009
at 02:28
Re: Slinky Combat
Bayer moves to the edge of a safe distance* perpendicular to the crossroads and Tucker/Jan further down the road. Crouching down, he speaks into the radio set, "Sunray, roger... wait for command or on my fire. Cease fire on command as well... as dismounts will be assaulting. Jan to guide flak truck into safe position behind you. Out."

"Flak truck and motorcycle (I forget if you have vehicle c/s), Sunray. Move past crossroads at best speed. Blocking force in position. Over."

*From grenade/rpg/exposion/etc danger area
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1096 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 6 Jan 2009
at 04:18
Re: Slinky Combat
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #277):

Dawid pressed the transmit key on the borrowed radio.

"Sunray this is Eagle, understood."

He called to Adam, "keep going, but be warned that when we reach the motorcycle there could be trouble ahead, so stop as soon as you see it and we'll move up as appropriate."

He shook his head. It would be nice to bring the Mk.19 into play but there was simply no way to do that unless they carried it forward by hand.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 552 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 6 Jan 2009
at 14:08
Re: Slinky Combat
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer moves to the edge of a safe distance* perpendicular to the crossroads and Tucker/Jan further down the road. Crouching down, he speaks into the radio set, "Sunray, roger... wait for command or on my fire. Cease fire on command as well... as dismounts will be assaulting. Jan to guide flak truck into safe position behind you. Out."
"Knife copies Sunray.  Waiting for your order.  Good Luck!  Knife out," Tucker replies as he waits for the ambush to take place.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 266 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Tue 6 Jan 2009
at 22:50
Re: Slinky Combat
Dave grabs the M240 and his AK/BG combo and climbs out of the truck before it drives off. Walking over to pick a good place in the ambush he mutters "Now, don't ya'll be starting the party without me."

Dave
 awaitng ambush
M240, 1 belt
AK/BG combo on ground beside him
Aid bag

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1105 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 7 Jan 2009
at 02:35
The Stand

Trike Team

As Mariusz tries to clear the jam in his RPK-74, Sam squeezes off two more rounds at the target he'd narrowly missed just seconds before. Through his scope, he witnesses with satisfaction as one of his shots tears a bloody hunk out of his target's exposed right leg. The man screams in pain and rolls behind the tree. Sam is lining up on another target when he feels a hammer blow fall upon his upper right arm. He knows instantly that he's been hit. The screaming of their two wounded companions, however, appears to have taken the fight out of the two remaining able-bodied members of the enemy fire team. A green canister lands a dozen meters or so out in front of the enemy shooters and begins spewing forth red smoke. Within just a few seconds, a red cloud interposes itself between the two groups, concealing each from the other. From their shouts, it is apparent that the enemy fire team is attempting a hasty withdrawl up the road to the northeast.

Gun Truck

With the tanker-trailer reattached, the gun-truck heads out after the trike. Adam slows when, in the distance up ahead (about 200m), a red cloud can be seen through the trees off on the right hand side of the road. Those in the cab spot the parked trike and Mariusz and Sam off in the trees a dozen or so meters on the same side of the road, each prone behind their respective tree.

[During this time, Mariusz has cleared the jam and reloaded with his second (and last) 40-round mag.]

Tarpan-Honker

Jan dutifully takes the Tarpan-Honker as far north down the main road as he can go while keeping line-of-sight with the crossroads (this amounts to about 200m from its previous position). He parks the squad-carrier just off the edge of the road, on its eastern side. Tucker swings the AGS around to face aft and prepares to engage the approaching pursuit team.

T-H Dismount Team

Konrad leads the dismounts into the woods on the east side of the road, selecting firing positions about 50m or so into the trees. Each member of the ambush team (Bayer, Minh, Milk, Ondar, and Stoner) selects a spot offering the best possible mix of cover and concealment and, double checking their weapons, hunkers down to await the arrival of the aggravatingly dogged pursuit force. Two minutes pass, then three, then five. After ten almost agonizing minutes of tense anticipation, the rumble of large truck engines reverberates through the woods. The ambush team watches as the large, armored trucks (a 5-ton Ural in the lead and a snub-nosed, 5-ton STAR in trail) lumber towards the kill zone. The machine-gunner in the cab-mounted, armored tub scans the road ahead and to either side, his counterpart in the second armored truck doing the same.

As the first truck is just about to enter the kill zone (its nose about even with the southernmost member of the ambush team), the lead gunner swings his PKM around towards the ambush line. His keen eyes have spied the trap. The driver, made aware of the danger by his gunner's shouted warning, guns the engine, attempting to move through the kill zone as quickly as possible. Cued by the lead truck's reaction, the trailing truck begins to do likewise, its gunner readying himself to lay suppressive fire on its ambushers.

OOC: So, the lead truck is now square in the kill zone with the trailing truck about 50 to the south. In your posts, make sure to say which position your PC occupies in the firing line. The lead truck has not yet noticed the T-H, parked just off the road about 200m to the north.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:37, Wed 07 Jan 2009.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1098 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 7 Jan 2009
at 03:20
Re: The Stand
The smoke and the lack of sustained firing up ahead were not necessarily bad things.

The cloud wasn't laid down by Mariusz and Sam, therefore it was possible the enemy element ahead was pulling out under cover of a smoke screen, which would be standard procedure. The other common use for smoke was to cover an assault, which, on the other hand, could be very bad indeed.

"Oy," Dawid thought, "God is surely testing us. Again, my fellow Poles are showing admirable discipline under pressure, at just the wrong time."

He said aloud, "Good work, Adam! Stop here."

"Okay everyone, listen up."
He paused to gather his thoughts, fight away the cobwebs brought on by too little sleep and too much sustained adrenaline.

"Our critical task right now is to make sure the road ahead is clear for our escape. Major, I would like to leave the vehicle in your care while Griet and I go forward. I will signal if medical assistance is needed. Jason, please cover the rear with the automatic grenade launcher. I suggest you switch back to anti-armour in case those armoured trucks make it past our comrades. Walter, please assist him in this. Adam, please be ready to move the vehicle up if needed."

Dawid looked at all of them to make sure they were in accord, swigged from his canteen to clear the sour no-saliva taste from his mouth, offered it around.

"Griet, I would also like to take the machine gun off your hands for this. Can you handle carrying two spare ammo cans for me? One would suffice, however."

He took this opportunity to call forward on the radio, see how dire the situation was. If needed, the plan could be changed. "This is Eagle calling... shit, what's your fucking call-sign? Forward element, forward element. What is your situation? Over."

OOC: to clarify, the RPK-74 in the sidecar also has 12 spare 30-rd magazines in 2 ammo pouches. I'm not sure if that was ever made clear! Also, I would hope the Mk19 has a clear line of fire over the fuel tank. If not, then Adam can back up and jack-knife the trailer off to the side so it does.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:59, Wed 07 Jan 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 878 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 7 Jan 2009
at 03:30
Re: The Stand
Bayer had set himself up in the middle of the assault element of the impromptu ambush. It wasn't the greatest position for the hasty ambush, but time eliminated the option of selecting a better site. When the rumble of engine noises approaches, he says into his radio,

"All call signs, Sunray. Standy by. I will initiate the ambush."

Leveling his G36/HK69 combo Bayer selects an aiming point through the gaps in the trees. It was also his intention to immediate fire the G36 if the 40mm misfired - to keep the ambush from spoiling.

Tensing as the friendly, pursued vehicles fly by, he he curses to himself as the line is detected. When the enemy enters his aiming point, he fires the HK69, hurling a HEDP round at the lead enemy vehicle - thus initiating the open fire.

Bayer
G36/HK69 (30/30 + 1 HEDP)
Middle of ambush assault group
Firing HEDP (aimed/opportunity fire?) at lead vehicle

Alexei Ondar
 player, 84 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Wed 7 Jan 2009
at 03:47
Re: The Stand
On the far left flank of the ambush line, Ondar tracks the gunner of the approaching lead truck through the optics mounted atop his SVU-AS, patiently awaiting Bayer's signal.  When the Hauptmann opens up, Ondar squeezes off a single round.  He stands ready to fire additional snap shots as needed to harrass and interdict the pursuing force.



[Ondar]
Left flank of ambush line
SVU-AS (9/10)
Drilling the lead gunner

Minh Quyen
 player, 339 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 7 Jan 2009
at 03:50
Re: The Stand
Quyen dismounts quickly... an RPG reload stuffed into the belt of her webbing and the launcher resting over one shoulder. Her AK was slung over her back. Glancing around she tried to get her bearings and visualize where and how the ambush was going down. As the Hauptmann mustered the dismounts and headed off, Quyen trails after.

Selecting a position on the far right, Quyen crouches down behind some cover. She checks the RPG's sights and ensures she knows where everyone else is positioned... she didn't want to fry anyone with the backblast.

The cold air aided them hearing the vehicles approaching. Peering just above the sight she waits until just before she's to fire to look through. Selecting the 2nd vehicle (since she was on the right side) she squeezed the trigger.

Minh Quyen (last on the right)
RPG-16 (2/2) and AK slung
Firing aimed shot at the second truck with the RPG

Sam McCoy
 player, 183 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Wed 7 Jan 2009
at 05:28
Down
Sam starts to asses the wound then will  start self aid.



"brother i have been hit. checking for damage."



Sam
Self aid
unarmed
Jason Kasparov
 player, 376 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Wed 7 Jan 2009
at 05:29
Re: The Stand
Muttering to himself, "Change the ammunition.  No, change it back.  Thank you, Admiral Nagumo.  I would have kept the HEDP loaded in the first place," Jason reloads the MK-19 with HVHEDP with Walter's assistance.  That done, he loads an HE grenade into the M-203, just in case. 

Jason K.
Star 6x6 bed
Mk-19 [50/50 HVHEDP]
F88 AGL (On floorboard) [30/30; HE]
Loading grenades/covering rear of forward element

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1099 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 7 Jan 2009
at 05:56
Re: The Stand
In reply to Jason Kasparov (msg #287):

Dawid laughed at Jason's comment, joking in reply, "Sadly, when God blessed me with a gigantic penis he removed my mystical power to see into the future. The Lord is so cruel, but fair."

As he waited for the situation report from up ahead, he slipped a spare ammo can over his shoulder and prepared to take over the bloody heavy PKM from Griet.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:52, Wed 07 Jan 2009.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 267 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 7 Jan 2009
at 12:27
Re: The Stand
"Oh fuck" he says as dave sees the gunner looking directly at them and getting excited. He opens fire on the first truck, trying mainly for the gunner, then the driver.


Dave
ambush, shooting gunner/driver of 1st truck
M240, 1 belt
AK/BG
Aid bag

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 553 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 7 Jan 2009
at 15:09
Re: The Stand
Tucker sits behind the mounted grenade launcher waiting for Konrad to initiate the ambush on the enemy pursuit force that was coming after them.  In the blink of an eye, he sees/hears the 'thump' of a 40mm grenade go off from the ambushers position and he yelss down to Jan, "Here we go!  Get ready!"  Robert gets his grip on the AGS-17 and fires a string of rounds at the designated kill zone.

Tucker
AGS-17 [30/30 HE]
Firing burst of rounds at the crossroads
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 347 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 7 Jan 2009
at 19:00
Re: The Stand
Griet said to Dawid, "One, I'll try, two, I don't think I can manage it."

She struggled back to her knees and grabbed the can and slung her AKSU so it would be handy if they were bounced.

She looked back at Dawid and said, "I'm ready to follow if you are going."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 436 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 7 Jan 2009
at 19:02
Re: The Stand
Mariusz rolled to his knees and scanned the area, he heard the radio crackling and said, "I'm loaded, Sir, how are you? Once you've seen to yourself, could you answer the radio? I'll keep us covered."
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 197 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Wed 7 Jan 2009
at 23:10
Re: The Stand

Clarence, a few meters to Minh's left, also targets the second vehicle, aiming for the armored driver's side door with his BG-15. An HE grenade may not be able to penetrate the armor but, if he manages to hit it squarely, it may shake up the driver enough to force him into making some kind of mistake. It's not much, but it's all he's got.

Clarence
Second from right
AK-74 (30/30); BG-15 (HE 1/7)
Aimed fire at second armored truck

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 931 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Wed 7 Jan 2009
at 23:23
Re: The Stand
As Dawid and Griet left to move forward, Anneka slipped into the gunners seat of the autocannon to familiarise herself with the controls. It seemed fairly simple - push on that to move left, this to go right and so on. A minute or two later and she though she had a handle on it and laid the weapons ground sights on the roadway where she though the enemy vehicles would appear.
"Can you hear us ok Adam?" she called back as she settled in, the radio placed where Walter, Jason and herself could all hear and respond as necessary.
"How about you Jason, is that wound alright for the moment? I can give you something if it's hurting too much..."
Jason Kasparov
 player, 377 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Thu 8 Jan 2009
at 00:26
Re: The Stand
Anneka Soleblume:
"How about you Jason, is that wound alright for the moment? I can give you something if it's hurting too much..."

"No, I'm all right -- for now," Jason replies.  "My leg hurts a bit, but I'd rather deal with a little pain than get zonked out of my head.  I'm woozy enough as it is."
Sam McCoy
 player, 184 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Thu 8 Jan 2009
at 04:38
Re: The Stand
"Hq this is bike team..... I'm down with an in and out right arm wound......from what i see they were using the new ammo so i'm luckey...... Have stopped to do self aid need the doc or the major....over"


"the boy is ok....we killed a few the others ran...we can hold here for hours..."



"Request info over"



sam
calling in set rep
unarmed
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1100 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 8 Jan 2009
at 07:10
Re: The Stand
In reply to Sam McCoy (msg #296):

After getting Adam to close the distance to around 30m, Dawid and Griet hopped off.

They stopped a few metres in front of the Star when the radio call came through. Digesting the information he replied, "Bike team... I understand, good to hear. We are located 30m your rear, three are coming forward to assist. Enemy Star truck is stopped, our rear elements are engaging the main pursuit element, the ones we engaged before."

He called to Anneka in case she wasn't listening to her own radio, "Major, there is one wounded forward. Perhaps leave your radio with Jason so we can keep in contact with the truck while you attend? Either way we are leaving to assist."

Deciding that too much time was wasting, he left Anneka to sort out her situation and catch up when possible. Making sure the slung MG was braced securely on his hip and would not foul the spare ammo can, he led Griet forward, keeping to the same side of the road as Sam and Mariusz.


PKM (100/100 + 1 spare ammo can)
Moving forward towards Motorcycle
25m away from motorcycle


OOC: Sorry, I was unclear on the Star's position, so Dawid'll have Adam move the truck up a lot closer now he understands the front is relatively secure.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:11, Thu 08 Jan 2009.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1107 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 9 Jan 2009
at 23:01
Ghost Rider

Trike and Gun-truck

With the gun-truck idling on the road, and Jason covering the group's six, Dawid and Griet move forward to assist the wounded McCoy. The enemy's red smoke continues to drift aimlessly through the trees, although it seems to be dissipating a bit already. The screaming has diminished and grows fainter and more sporadic as the enemy wounded are assisted away from the skirmish site by their unwounded comrades (although they are not currently visible due to the smoke). Their Tarpan-Honker is parked on the east side of the road, hood open, still emitting steam, about 150m away.

T-H dismount team

As the lead armored troop transporter draws even with his position, Konrad pulls the trigger on his underbarrel HK-69 grenade launcher, expecting to hear the thwoop of a launching 40mm HEDP grenade. Instead, he hears a click followed by what seems like eons of silence. Having already thought through this contingency, he smoothly transitions to the G-36, squeezing off a burst at the lead truck's turret. Rounds ping off of the gunner's armored tub but fail to find his vulnerable flesh. Ondar, just a few meters away, squeezes off a carefully aimed round at the same target, but fails to hit as well. Stoner adds the M-240 to the chorus, hammering away at the marked man aboard the lead truck. Two red tracers (from a 5-round burst) spin off of the gunner's cupola at improbable angles, indicating a third reprieve for the enemy gunner.

Minh, on the far right of the ambush line, catches the second truck in the sights of her RPG-16. She pulls the trigger and the rocket blazes towards the vehicle, blossoming in a huge, orange fireball against the vehicle's partially armored, left, rear wheel-well. The big truck rocks briefly from the impact and then lurches to its left, as its rear tires quickly turn to molten shreds. The driver struggles to keep his wounded mount on the road and out of the trees. Rocked by the blast and the subsequent instability of his firing platform, the enemy gunner in the second truck squeezes off a long, futile burst at his assailants, a line of green tracers undulating wildly through the trees above the party's heads. A split-second after Minh fires the RPG, Clarence sends a Soviet-made 40mm grenade over the stricken truck, cursing his lack of marksmanship.

Tarpan-Honker

Hearing the crack of rifle and machine gun fire signalling the start of the ambush, Tucker lets loose with a burst of five 30mm HE grenades towards the lead truck, just visible 150m to his south, near the crossroads. One of the grenades defies all the odds and passes through the driver's vision port, exploding inside the armored cab, while a second detonates against the open edge of the gunners' cupola, close behind.

The lead truck, smoke pouring out of the cab's vision slits and the now unoccupied gun-tub miraculously barrels on towards the parked T-H, maintaining its speed (about 50kmph) and direction (angling slighty off to the west as it continues towards the T-H). The second truck, perhaps unaware of its counterpart's dire straits, follows, the gap between them starting to grow (about 60m).

Actions?

OOC: Both trucks have now passed beyond the northern end of the ambush line and are still approaching the parked T-H. Both trucks are obviously in some kind of distress.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:01, Sat 10 Jan 2009.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1101 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 10 Jan 2009
at 05:39
Covering Fire
Reaching Sam and Mariusz, Dawid flopped down and began firing bursts to further suppress the enemy ahead.

He looked over at Sam. "I told Anneka you were hurt, I assumed she was following. Maybe you can get back on your own? We don't have much time, so Griet, Mariusz, let's move forward and see if we can keep them running."

Once he saw they were ready to move, he began advancing.

"Let's go, in bounds."

PKM 100/100 (1 spare belt)
Firing 5x 5-rounds bursts, Talking.
By motorcycle

This message was last edited by the player at 09:49, Sat 10 Jan 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 879 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 10 Jan 2009
at 13:48
Re: Covering Fire
"Damn!"

Bayer ejects his dud round and slips in a new one (HEDP).

Bayer
G36/HK69 (3/4 HEDP - 27/30)
Middle of ambush line
Reloading 40mm HEDP

This message was last edited by the player at 13:48, Sat 10 Jan 2009.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 348 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 10 Jan 2009
at 14:54
Re: Covering Fire
Griet dropped down by Dawid's side, ready to assist with the machinegun if she was needed.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 437 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 10 Jan 2009
at 14:57
Re: Covering Fire
Mariusz heard Dawid's order and looked ahead to find a good position to bound to. He saw a suitable fold in the ground flanked by a bare tree to his right and he ran for it. Once he reached the cover, he set up the RPK ready to cover Dawid and Griet's bound.

Mariusz
RPK-74 40/40
Running for cover.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 268 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 10 Jan 2009
at 19:54
Re: Covering Fire
Dave unconciosly flinches when Minh's rocket explodes and seconds later his eyes widen in surprise as Tuck's grenade flies through the tiny windshied slit. "Dang, I thought I was good" he mutters to himself.

He shifts his attention and fires at targets of opportunity.


Dave
ambush site
M240
AK/BG
Aid bag
firing at any targets

Clarence Milk
 NPC, 198 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Sat 10 Jan 2009
at 20:00
Maintaining Contact

Clarence reaches into one of his canteen covers and pulls out another 40mm grenade, dropping it down the barrel of his BG-15. He hops to hit feet and starts running north, parallel to the road, shouting,

"Let's move people! They ain't stoppin'!"


Clarence
Ak-74 (30/30); BG-15 (HE 1/6)
In foot pursuit of trucks

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 554 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 10 Jan 2009
at 20:10
Re: Covering Fire
Cap'n Rae:
Tarpan-Honker

Hearing the crack of rifle and machine gun fire signalling the start of the ambush, Tucker lets loose with a burst of five 30mm HE grenades towards the lead truck, just visible 150m to his south, near the crossroads. One of the grenades defies all the odds and passes through the driver's vision port, exploding inside the armored cab, while a second detonates against the open edge of the gunners' cupola, close behind.

The lead truck, smoke pouring out of the cab's vision slits and the now unoccupied gun-tub miraculously barrels on towards the parked T-H, maintaining its speed (about 50kmph) and direction (angling slighty off to the west as it continues towards the T-H). The second track, perhaps unaware of its counterpart's dire straits, follows, the gap between them starting to grow (about 60m).

Actions?

OOC: Both trucks have now passed beyond the ambush line and are still approaching the parked T-H. Both trucks are obviously in some kind of distress.
Tucker smiles as he knows that one or more or his rounds hit home and did some major damage, to the exact extent, not sure in the darkness.  When he sees the vehicles still moving in his direction, the smile quickly dissipates and he clicks on the radio (or yells to Jan), "JAN!  Get ready to move!  We've got incoming vehicles closing fast on our twenty!"

Robert then looks down the sights of the grenade launcher and tries to either slow down or stop the vehicles approach towards their own parked Tarpin Honker.  He fires another string of five rounds towards the lead vehicle hoping he can put an end to their threat.

Tucker
AGS-17 [25/30 HE]
Firing another string of [5] HE at enemy T-H

OOC: I see what you meant by an amazing shot!  WOW!
Minh Quyen
 player, 340 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 12 Jan 2009
at 01:09
Re: Covering Fire
"Yeahhh." Quyen whispers. She was rather pleased with her hit and its impact on the ambush. All things considered, she was glad she was simply able to hit the vehicle.

Lowering the RPG she pulls out the reload she had tucked into her webbing. She positions it onto the end of the launcher.

Quyen
Far left ambush line
RPG (1/2) + AK slung
Reloading last round

Sam McCoy
 player, 185 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Mon 12 Jan 2009
at 01:11
Re: Covering Fire
Sam will continue to do self aid on himself using his Med kit.




Sam
Self aid
Med kit.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 86 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Mon 12 Jan 2009
at 01:46
Re: Maintaining Contact
Ondar switches up to track the gunner of the second truck, firing two more semi-automatic shots as the vehicle passes their position.



[Ondar]
Left flank of ambush line
SVU-AS (7/10)
Antagonizing the other gunner

This message was last edited by the player at 03:42, Mon 12 Jan 2009.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 378 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Mon 12 Jan 2009
at 01:47
Re: Covering Fire
Hearing Tucker's warning on the radio, Jason peers down the road over the sights of the MK-19.  He watches for the trucks he had glimpsed earlier, knowing also that the Tarpan-Honker they had captured might very well be in the lead.  He is ready to fire, but not at the very first sign of a vehicle.

Jason K.
Star 6x6 MK-19 [50/50 HVHEDP]
F88 AGL (on floorboard) [30/30; HE]
Covering road

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1108 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 14 Jan 2009
at 02:37
Jackknife

Ambush Team

The big armored URAL continues barreling towards Tuck and Jan in the parked Tarpan-Honker. Looking worriedly over his shoulder, Jan puts the jeep into gear and begins rolling away from the rapidly approaching beheamoth. Tucker fires a second burst of 30mm HE grenades at the growing target. Grenades detonate all around the URAL but it looks like his luck was expended in the wonder-shot that struck its cab seconds earlier.

The heavy URAL, however, continues to drift to its right (east). As its right tires slide gradually off of the road bed, the top-heavy truck begins leaning perilously into the trees. This only accelerates its off-road turn- now more of a swerve, really- and the truck leaves the white, crushed rock surface of the road, bulldozing its way into the trees. Several adolescent trees are smashed down and a senior one is uprooted before the truck falls hard on to its right side in a cloud of smoke, dust, and fallen leaves, making a quarter turn so that its still- spinning wheels are only 25m or so from the party's squad carrier.

The second truck, also struggling to stay on the road, follows about 60m behind its stricken counterpart. As it passes beyong the northern end of the ambush line, Ondar takes two more shots at the receding gunner, missing both. Stoner likewise fires another parting burst with no appreciable effect. As the first truck jackknifes just off of the road (on the east side), the second truck pulls to a stop on the road about 50m behind it. The armored, double doors at the back swing open and smartly dressed Polish troops begin dropping to the road bed.

Clarence is on his feet and heading north in pursuit, still 50m from the road on its western side. The others remain in place. The second truck is still visible, now parked on the road about 100m to the north but the first truck is no longer in view.

Gun-truck and Trike Teams

With Anneka and Jason readying the gun-truck's heavy weapons to deal with the appraoching pursuit force, Dawid and Griet bound forward past the wounded (and still untreated) Sam and Mariusz. Rushing through the thinning red smoke, it takes a moment for the pair to reorient themselves and spot the fleeing Polish squaddies. They can just be made out where the trees recede into shadow, moving jerkily (about 200m). They plainly mean to flee at their best possible speed and likely pose no further threat to the party.

The enemy Tarpan-Honker sits abandoned off to Dawid's and Griet's left.

Sam cranes his thick neck to see the wound in his usually burly shoulder. The upper sleave of his jacket is soaked with blood. Pulling the torn fabric away from the wound, he realizes that he will only be able to slap a bandage on the rather large wound. A thumb-sized hunk of meat has been torn out of his shoulder. Although not debilitating, the wound will require some fancy stitch work in order to close the wound.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:49, Wed 14 Jan 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 880 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 14 Jan 2009
at 14:13
Re: Jackknife
Having slid the new HEDP round into the chamber and closing it shut, Bayer eyes the dismounting riflemen. Lining up his rifle onto the mass of deploying infantry he fires off a trio of rounds.

"Quyen! Ditch the RPG. Get some auto fire on them!"

Bayer
Middle of ambush line
G36 (27/30) (3/4 HEDP)
Firing 3 single shots at dismounts


OOC - Hey Rae, what stats are you using for the RPG-16, from the official book or from elsewhere? If you are going by Paul Mulcahy's or something, I'd like to omit Bayer's speech to ditch the RPG.

RPG-16 comparrison...
V2.2 - C:6 B:5
PM's - C:9 B:30

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1102 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 14 Jan 2009
at 14:32
Re: Jackknife
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #310):

Dawid cranked off another series of tracers from the PKM to keep the soldiers fleeing, then said, "I think that's that."

He transmitted, "all units, back door is open."

"Mariusz, have a look at the Honker. See if there is any salvageable fuel and weapons. Be careful about booby-traps. Griet and I will cover you."

He lay down where he had a good field of fire down the road to the north. He checked to see he could ready the RPG-76 quickly, just in case.


PKM (75/100 rounds)
Firing 5x 5-rounds bursts
Aiming for Opportunity Fire

This message was last edited by the player at 14:34, Wed 14 Jan 2009.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 438 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 14 Jan 2009
at 19:58
Re: Jackknife
Mariusz moved quickly over to the enemy wreck and looked over it in a cursory fashion, if he saw any loose weapons or jerrycans, he would take them, otherwise he intended to get back to the trike as fast as he could before someone ordered a stop to strip the vehicle down to the last nut and wire and give the pursuit time to call a tank brigade in.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 349 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 14 Jan 2009
at 19:59
Re: Jackknife
Griet remained ready to aid Dawid should they need to fire the machinegun seriously. She hoped they'd be leaving soon, there sounded to be heavy fighting behind them.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1111 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 14 Jan 2009
at 22:33
Re: Jackknife

Realizing that no one is following him, Clarence goes to one knee behind a particularly thick-looking tree and takes aim at the dark cavern between the open rear doors of the armored truck. When his sights are aligned, he squeezes off a 40mm HE grenade, praying that his aim for this second shot is better than it was for the first.


Clarence Milk
AK-74 (27/30); BG-15 (HE 1/5)
North of ambush line
Firing 40mm HE

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 935 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Thu 15 Jan 2009
at 01:42
Re: Jackknife
Anneka sat in the gunners seat of the ZU, waiting for a target to appear on the roadway where she'd aligned the sights earlier.
Although she'd been monitoring the radio and was well aware McCoy had been wounded through the arm, she believed she was better utilised where she was for the moment and first aid would suffice until he could get back under his own power.

While they waited, she once again ran her mind over their options for vehicle assignements. With McCoy apparently unable to continue operating the motorbike, Jan might need to be moved over after all, but in the meantime, Dawid would probably be the one to take over since he was on the spot.

Although she itched to know exactly what was happening back in the ambush zone, she knew better than to ask - those in contact had more important things to do than keep those in reserve informed about events they probably couldn't effect in a positive way.

Waiting for a target
ZU-23-2

This message was last edited by the player at 00:21, Tue 20 Jan 2009.

Sam McCoy
 player, 186 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Thu 15 Jan 2009
at 04:02
Re: Jackknife
"Hey david where the fuck is the doctor? Or do I have to do this my self?"


If ann does not come in the next miniute sam will start doing minor wound care with his doctors med kit. he will steril the wound then stich it up with a suture kit then apply the wound clog gel. a type of glue that is non toxic that binds the wound over the sutures. once done he will apply wound creme and bandage. he will eat two asprin and a antibiotic.once done he will secure his gear and wait for help.



Sam
doing own wound
no weapon
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1103 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 15 Jan 2009
at 09:56
Re: Jackknife
Dawid listened to the crescendo of pops and bangs from behind them. The woods echoed with gunfire and explosions. It didn't sound like things were going well.

He heard Sam call out, asking about Anneka and replied, "she's not there yet? Fuck! I told her. Let me call again."

"Eagle calling Starlight."
Dawid had little knowledge, or indeed care for proper NATO radio protocol.

"Be warned we have one light casualty. Will you attend or should he relocate to your position? Please advise."
Minh Quyen
 player, 342 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 16 Jan 2009
at 02:00
Re: Jackknife
Quyen raises the RPG after inserting the reload. Spotting the dismounting infantry she aligns the sights onto the greatest mass of them.

Minh Quyen
RPG-16 (last shot)
Aiming at dismounts
Far left


OOC - Fuse, since Rae is going by stronger stats, should I assume to give the RPG another shot? I can edit.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 936 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Fri 16 Jan 2009
at 03:40
Re: Jackknife
Anneka tried to keep her eyes on the targetted area as she reached for the radio.
"Casualty to extract as per SOP."
Obviously he could move under his own power since Dawid had mentioned that as an option, and the wound had been described as "light".
Alexei Ondar
 player, 88 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Fri 16 Jan 2009
at 06:41
Re: Jackknife
Ondar takes a knee, braces his weapon and tracks the second troop carrier until it comes to a halt.  With the pursuing soldiers now pouring from rear of the vehicle, the sharpshooter fires three more semi-automatic shots as the new targets make themselves available.



[Ondar]
Left flank of ambush line
SVU-AS (4/10)
Antagonizing dismounts

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 555 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 16 Jan 2009
at 14:22
Re: Jackknife
Tucker watches as the troops dismount from the vehicle and disperse.  He immediately calls on the radio to Konrad, "Sunray, Kinfe.  Have hostiles between you and my twenty.  How do you want extraction and cover fire from this caller, over?"

Tucker
AGS-17 [20/20 HE]
Waiting for orders
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1106 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 16 Jan 2009
at 18:11
Re: Jackknife
In reply to Anneka Soleblume (msg #320):

Anneka's answer mystified him. What did "SOP" mean? What did she want?

"Starlight, please explain "SOP"."

He called to Sam, "she says to extract "per SOP". I have no fucking clue what that means, but she's a medical officer so this is actually her area of expertise. Hey, how's the bike? Is it ride able?"

Dawid checked the ammo for the PKM, he had about a half-belt left, not too bad but might as well change it. While he waited he swapped the half-belt for the fresh one in the ammo can he was wearing.


PKM (100/100 + 50 round belt) RPG-76
Aiming for Opportunity Fire
Near the damaged Honker

This message was last edited by the player at 04:21, Sat 17 Jan 2009.

Sam McCoy
 player, 187 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sat 17 Jan 2009
at 02:22
Re: Jackknife
"bike is fine my polish brother. No worries on her . I will fix the wound myself and have the doc (word for navy corpsman) check it when we get out of this shit.dont worry about be.what we should worry about is doing a quick check on the truck and preping us to get out oh here. I can ride with one arm. the gear is on the left and its my right arm."



Sam
doing med work
unarmed
Jason Kasparov
 player, 379 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sat 17 Jan 2009
at 04:23
Re: Jackknife
Sitting behind the MK-19, Jason continues to watch down the road, scanning side to side just in case there are infantry moving up alongside the road through the trees.

Jason K.
Star 6x6 bed
MK-19 [50/50 HVHEDP]
F88 AGL (on floorboard) [30/30; HE]
Scanning for targets

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1107 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 17 Jan 2009
at 09:51
Re: Jackknife
Sam McCoy:
"bike is fine my polish brother. No worries on her . I will fix the wound myself and have the doc (word for navy corpsman) check it when we get out of this shit.dont worry about be.what we should worry about is doing a quick check on the truck and preping us to get out oh here. I can ride with one arm. the gear is on the left and its my right arm."


Dawid replied, "the throttle is on the right handlebar, you need a free hand to work that to go. It's the left hand you don't really need if you know how to shift without a clutch. Speaking of a hand, do you need one with your injury?"

He finished loading his spare belt, then chambered a round.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1114 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 17 Jan 2009
at 20:36
The Numbers Game

Trike and Gun-Truck

Dawid watches as green tracers from his final burst pass within a few feet of the retreating enemy. With at least two wounded, the foursome continue to flee into the thickening trees as quickly as they can.

Mariusz catiously approaches the disabled enemy Tarpan-Honker squad carrier and proceeds to look it over. It's unlikely that the enemy had any time to rig any booby traps but Mariusz remains weary of the possibility. Peering through the steam hanging under the open hood, Mariusz can tell that the engine is a mess, having eaten at least four 7.62mm N rounds. A large puddle of fluid is beginning to spread on the ground beneath the squad carrier and the pungent smell of burning oil and rubber lingers heavy in the cold, early morning air. Realizing that it will take a while for the last of the steam and smoke to disperse, Mariusz looks inside the squad carrier. It looks like the enemy had time to unload anything of value before the trike arrived and set them to flight.

Sam, left to his own devices, chooses to treat his own wound instead of walk to gun-truck and ask Soleblume [again] to treat him. He tears at the hole in his camo blouse, enlarging it, and examines the bloody wound. The skin has been shorn away completely, leaving a centimeter deep, thumb-sized gash in the muscle. He opens his aid kit and removes the tools he'll need to suture the wound. It would be a difficult task with two hands, but Sam somehow manages to close the wound fairly neatly with only one. The sutures are tight, though, and any movement of his upper arm will likely split the stitches. He places a field dressing over the wound and takes one of the antibiotic pills he'd pilfered from the ship's stores before the party abandonded the Krolowa.

Anneka and Jason continue to man the heavy weaponry in the bed of the gun-truck. The sound of gunfire and explosions from the south indicates that the ambushers are meeting with some resistance. None of the enemy, it appears, have passed clear through the ambush to continue the pursuit. The enemy has been successfully held up yet again, but at what cost?

Ambush Team and Tarpan-Honker

Enemy infantry, clad in the newer Pantera camoflage uniforms of first and second line Polish troops, pour out of the back of the second, parked truck in a well-rehearsed manouver. In five seconds, at least a dozen men are out and heading for both shoulders of the road with more jumping down hot on their heels. Supersonic lead races to meet them, drawing first blood. Konrad and Ondar both open fire at infantry dispersing on the west side of the road. One man falls as Ondar's fire tears into his legs. As he pitches forward, a third round punches a neat hole through the side of his steel helmet and into his skull. Konrad watches with a mixture of satisfaction and horror as two of his bullets nearly tear the right arm off of his target. The third round smashes into the bridge of the man's nose, ending his suffering before it could begin.

Clarence fires a second grenade at the debarking infantry. It lands just a couple of meters long and to the left, the concussion of the blast knocks one of the truck's doors half-closed. One of the recently unassed enemy soldiers stumbles and falls as the concussion knocks him off his feet.

Stoner* and Minh** both swing fotry five degrees towards the road so that the ambush line, with Clarence a few meters out in front (an obvious target), faces perpendicular to the road on its west side.

As the ambush team opens fire on the dispersing infantry, the second truck's machine gunner, facing north, is presented with a clear shot at the slowly rolling tarpan-Honker. He fires a burst at the Polish jeep's gunner (Tucker). A tracer round sears through the flesh of Tucker's forearm, tearing a long but shallow furrow. Jan lets loose a strangled cry as a second round sizzles past Tucker's ear and grazes his left kneecap. Other bullets smash into the dash.

Dazed but relatively unhurt infantry begin to climb out of the back of the crashed armored truck laying on its side on the east side of the road. The truck's nose is pointing into the woods and its tail is pointed at the road, about a dozen meters away.

The ambush team is now split apart (the ground element and the T-H) and outnumbered four to one. This ratio is likely to get even more uneven as the men from the first truck regain their senses and join the fight.

Actions?

OOC: *Stoner is NPCed this turn since Wes didn't post. I'm putting him in a better firing position where he won't have to fire across or over the rest of the team and where he'll be able to fire at targets on either side of the road. **There was some question as to whether Minh would be firing with the RPG or the RPK and Jinny wasn't able to post an update to her turn. So, I moved her into a better position too, where she can use either weapon without worrying about hitting her comrades. Both Minh and Stoner's next actions will start the next combat round so make 'em count.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 380 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sun 18 Jan 2009
at 00:01
Re: The Numbers Game
Jason continues scanning for targets. 

Jason K.
Star 6x6 bed
MK-19 [50/50 HVHEDP]
F88 AGL (on floorboard) [30/30; HE]
Scanning

Sam McCoy
 player, 188 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Mon 19 Jan 2009
at 02:48
Re: The Numbers Game
Sam not knowing whats going on will hold position and continue to address his shoulder wound. he will also prep the bike to move out.





Sam
preping bike and arm
unarmed
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1109 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 19 Jan 2009
at 07:13
Re: The Numbers Game
The shadows to the front were gone, behind him the sounds of a pitched fight began to crescendo, echoing through the woods.

He called back, "Sam, why not get back to the truck? You can't ride that bike without your right arm, although you could be a gunner. The truck was ready to leave, when I last saw it."

Dawid finished reloading, nervously listening to the series of pops, bangs and rattles echoing through the trees behind them.

"Mariusz, if there's nothing worthwhile at the Honker, it might be an idea to see to the motorcycle."
Sam McCoy
 player, 189 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Mon 19 Jan 2009
at 07:45
Re: The Numbers Game
"I will ride it just fine....."




sam
at bike
unarmed
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1110 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 19 Jan 2009
at 12:51
Re: The Numbers Game
In reply to Sam McCoy (msg #331):

Dawid laughed in response and shook his head.

"If your right arm is injured, you will have to use something else to work the throttle. I could use my penis because, frankly, it's long enough. Perhaps you as well?"

It seemed a physical impossibility, but Dawid wasn't going to argue further. If Sam believed he could, maybe he could. At any rate, with a sidecar he wouldn't have to worry about balancing.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 558 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 19 Jan 2009
at 21:15
Re: The Numbers Game
Robert grits his teeth as he feels the tracer round hit his forearm and tear the skin.  He reassures his hold on the grips of the grenade launcher and fires another string of five [5] rounds at the truck that just fired at them and hit.  Tucker yells out to Jan, "JAN!  INFANTRY COMING OUT OF THAT TRUCK!  WE GOT PROBLEMS FAST BUDDY!"

Tucker
AGS-17 20/30 HE
Firing at gunner/vehicle that just hit his T-H

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:09, Mon 19 Jan 2009.

Alexei Ondar
 player, 89 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Mon 19 Jan 2009
at 21:42
Re: The Numbers Game
Ondar eyes up the situation and regrets he had been stripped of the RPG-18 he had taken from ship's stores during the move upriver.  It would certainly come in handy right about now.  The defector scans hastily to find another dismounting pursuer.  Once acquired, he puts two rounds into the target.



[Ondar]
Left flank of ambush line
SVU-AS (2/10)
Still antagonizing dismounts

Jan Cerny
 player, 86 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 19 Jan 2009
at 22:13
Re: The Numbers Game
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
"JAN!  INFANTRY COMING OUT OF THAT TRUCK!  WE GOT PROBLEMS FAST BUDDY!"


Jan [NPC'ed] grits his teeth in pain and clutches at his wounded knee. As soon as he hears Tuck's third burst away, Jan slams his foot down on the accelerator, pulling away from the gun-truck. He jerks the wheel back and forth, creating a dangerously unstable firing platform for teh AGS-17 but also, hopefully, creating a much more elusive target for the enemy as well.
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 199 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Mon 19 Jan 2009
at 22:16
Re: The Numbers Game

Taking his second miss in stride, Clarence slides his hand back from the trigger of the BG-15 to the grip and trigger of the AK-74. Taking quick aim at whom he presumes to be an enemy officer, he pops off three quick shots.


Clarence Milk
West side of road, south of enemy gun-trucks
AK-74 (27/30); BG-15 (HE 0/6)
Firing three shots, semi-auto at officer

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 941 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Tue 20 Jan 2009
at 00:38
Re: Jackknife
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Starlight, please explain "SOP"."

"Standard Operational Proceedure."
Three simple and hopefully quick words that wouldn't clog up the airwaves if someone was traying to transmit something vitally important. Once they found some time, somebody was going to have to instigate some intensive training so everyone knew what they were supposed to do when, and what the various callsigns, codes, slang and acronyms used within the unit meant.

Sitting in the gunners seat with Jason and Walter close by, she couldn't help but feel a little useless. Two of their heaviest weapons in the arsenal were sitting idle while the sounds of ongoing battle raged a few hundred metres to the south. But she knew better than to charge in all guns blazing - two of their number were civilians, another a wounded helicopter pilot and herself just a medical officer. None of them were true combat troops by any stretch of the imagination and the vehicle they were mounted on was really just a big, unarmoured bullet and rocket magnet.

Far better they remained where they were for the time being, weapons aimed at the likely enemy approaches, and hoped the enemy were soon put to flight.


Being kept in the dark
Waiting and aiming the ZU down the road

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 439 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 20 Jan 2009
at 19:12
Re: Jackknife
Mariusz listened to the heavy fire behind him. The Automatic grenade launchers were firing but there was a lot of small arms crackle too.

He looked over at Dawid, "There's a lot of fire being exchanged by the sound of it. Do you think we need to go back to help?"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 350 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 20 Jan 2009
at 19:14
Re: Jackknife
Griet sighed, she was dog tired and could hardly stand, now the kid was suggesting a gentle jog back into a firefight, she wondered if he might be insane.

"No one's called for help, that probably means they're doing fine."
Minh Quyen
 player, 344 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 21 Jan 2009
at 00:23
Re: Jackknife
After swinging around, Quyen quickly gets into a new firing position. Dropping the RPG next to her, she rests the RPK's bipod on the ground. Sighting the center of mass of the dismounting troops, she  fires off a trio of bursts.

OOC - There is a group of dismounts going to each side of the road? Quyen will target one of them - or anywhere else there are 3 or more troops in a impact area.

Quyen
Far Left
RPK-74 (30/30)
Firing 3 bursts (3 x ROF10) using the bipod

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1121 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 21 Jan 2009
at 00:38
Bloody Wood

Tarpan-Honker

The duel between Tucker and the enemy truck's machine-gunner ends as a flurry of 30mm grenades from Tucker's well-aimed burst explodes on the truck's cab. One of the grenades impacts squarely on the gunner's chest, blasting a gaping, red, pulpy hole there and knocking his PKM off it's mount. The gunner, head lolling about grotesquely, drops into the truck's armored cab. The front end of the truck is engulfed in thin white smoke and it remains stationary on the western side of the road. The pain from Tucker's superficial arm wound is overwhelmed by the thrill of yet another fantastic shot.

As soon as the last grenade leaves the barrel, Jan peels out and begins weaving away from the enemy trucks and infantry, trying to put some distance between the jeep and the growing enemy force.

Ambush Team

A grenade (from where, no one is quite sure), explodes a few meters from the open rear of the second truck, knocking down an infantryman as soon as his boots hit the ground. He falls awkwardly, dropping his rifle and clutching at his leg.

Stoner [NPCed], positioned towards the eastern end of the reoriented ambush line, sends a line of red tracers at an angle across the road, felling an enemy soldier in mid-stride. The man hits the ground face first and doesn't move again. Minh too, fires at the enemy near the road, loosing three short bursts* towards the same group targetted by Stoner. One of her targets stumbles and falls at the eastern edge of the road. He rolls back and forth on his back in the open, obviously wounded quite badly. Several others make the other side and disappear behind cover.

Ondar's last shot knocks down an PKM gunner as he goes to his knees to set up his machine gun, hitting the man squarely in the chest. He falls on his back, legs thrashing in the dead leaves.

Clarence hits whom he assumes to be an officer in the leg with rifle fire. The man crashes to the ground and scrambles behind the cover of a tree leaving his carbine in the dirt a couple of meters away.

Konrad [NPCed] squeezes off three more rounds at a running RPG gunner. The man dives into cover behind a felled tree, apparently unhit.

Five men lie on the damp ground in plain sight of the ambush team, dead or dying. Over half of the balance of the enemy platoon, roughly 10 men, several of them wounded, takes up firing positions behind trees and begins returning fire in the direction of the ambush team. They are well dispersed and using the available cover effectively. About a half dozen infantrymen from the same truck have made it to the other side of the road. Their disposition and movement is difficult to make out, though Stoner and Minh's automatic fire seems to have them pinned down at the moment. Across the road, and about 30m up the road, another platoon of enemy soldiers is presumably evacuating their jackknifed truck, and will soon be contributing to the fight.

Trike and Gun-truck

Having driven off the squad from the enemy T-H and opening the road to the north, the group listens with some alarm to the developing firefight to their south. The sound of firing escalates steadily and then plateaus at a rumbling crescendo, a cacophany of muffled and hollow pops, cracks, and booms echoing through the trees. They have heard no word from the ambush team, but it is apparent that they have encountered stiff enemy resistance.

Actions?

*Since I'm not sure whether Minh has an RPK or an AK, I went with smaller bursts (5-rounds each) just to be safe. Even so, she scored a torso hit and severely wounded an enemy soldier.

All the enemy are in cover now, and hitting them will be much more difficult. In addition, they will be firing back. Good luck!

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:16, Wed 21 Jan 2009.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 269 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 21 Jan 2009
at 00:40
Re: Jackknife
Dave spins around as the enemy truck passes by and watches in horror as the infantry dismount. He grins as the enemy soldiers fall, and lets loose with more auromatic fire.


Dave
shitting bricks and shooting guns
M240,
AK-74, 6 loaded mags
BG-15, 6 HE rounds, 1 illum
Aid bag

This message was last edited by the player at 01:32, Wed 21 Jan 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 882 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 21 Jan 2009
at 08:11
Re: Jackknife
"Keep firing keep firing." Bayer hollers over the crack of gunfire. Choosing any pair of soldiers which are close enough to affect both with a 40mm, he fires the HK69.

Screaming into his radio, he omits proper radio voice procedure for the sake of a hasty message to the unit's mobile security element, "Mariusz! Get a machine gun up here!"

Bayer
Middle Assault
G36/HK69 (24/30) (1 HEDP)
Firing at any two or more soldiers in a grenade radius

This message was last edited by the player at 08:12, Wed 21 Jan 2009.

Minh Quyen
 player, 346 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 21 Jan 2009
at 10:19
Re: Jackknife
Quyen could hear the slow, deliberate, aimed shots from the Hauptmann and Ondar. Wishing she still had the RPK, she nevertheless placed herself into the opposite role of the other members of her team - providing a high volume of supressive fire.

Scanning the deploying enemy troops, Quyen looks for an easy target or two. She digs her elbows into the ground and braces the AK. Three bursts, emptying the magazine - against any suitable (area) target for automatic fire.

Minh Quyen
Firing 3x5 bursts
AK74 (15/30)
Flank

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 440 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 21 Jan 2009
at 19:00
Re: Jackknife
Mariusz jumped at the order, he'd forgotten the earpiece of the radio that covered his left ear. He had little experience with radios and kept forgetting he had one.

"Dawid," he said, "the Boss wants mg support quickly, the trike can take three. Why don't you and Griet head back and drop off McCoy as you pass the Major? I'll walk back and cover our tail until I reach you or you come and pick me up."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1113 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 21 Jan 2009
at 22:20
Re: Jackknife
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg #339):

Dawid smiled and rolled his eyes. It was good to know what "SOP" was, but if you didn't know what the Standard Operating Procedure was in the first place, then it wasn't all that enlightening. "Thanks, Starlight."

Answering Griet he said, "an ambush if usually over very quickly, it shouldn't be getting more intense unless things are going wrong."

He decided that some more initiative was called for and he would have to head back to see how he could help out. Then Bayer's call came through.

"Ah yes, just what I was thinking. But, we can't leave this sector almost unprotected. Griet, please stay with McCoy. If he decides to go back to the truck for medical aid, then go with and assist him. If not, help him cover the road here so we don't get hit from the front. Use this in good health!" He handed her his disposable PRG-76 rocket.

Then he addressed his young friend, "Mariusz, lets you and I take the motorcycle back and see what we can do, perhaps a machinegun can be of assistance."

Walking to the bike and sidecar he transmitted, "This is Eagle calling. Sunray, we're on the way, hold on."

Without wasting time on further discussion, he took the spare ammo can from Griet and deposited it and the PKM in the sidecar. After wheeling the bike around and waiting for Mariusz to get into the sidecar, he rode back towards where he saw the Honker parked.


PKM MG (100/100 + 1 1/2 spare belts)
Talking on radio, mounting and riding motorcycle.
On the road, heading south.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:43, Thu 22 Jan 2009.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 563 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 05:28
Re: Bloody Wood
Cap'n Rae:
Tarpan-Honker

The duel between Tucker and the enemy truck's machine-gunner ends as a flurry of 30mm grenades from Tucker's well-aimed burst explodes on the truck's cab. One of the grenades impacts squarely on the gunner's chest, blasting a gaping, red, pulpy hole there and knocking his PKM off it's mount. The gunner, head lolling about grotesquely, drops into the truck's armored cab. The front end of the truck is engulfed in thin white smoke and it remains stationary on the western side of the road. The pain from Tucker's superficial arm wound is overwhelmed by the thrill of yet another fantastic shot.

As soon as the last grenade leaves the barrel, Jan peels out and begins weaving away from the enemy trucks and infantry, trying to put some distance between the jeep and the growing enemy force.
Actions?
Tucker let's out another loud holler as he watches his rounds hit and basically dismantle the vehicle with the machin-gunner who had tagged him and Jan.  Tucker is briefly jostled when Jan guns it and begins to speed out of the area to try and avoid any more fire that maybe coming at them.  Tucker calls on the radio before switching his aim towards the groggy infantry coming out of the overturned troop carrier.  "Sunray, Knife.  What's your status?  Have Tango's between us and your twenty.  What's your pleasure over?"

He knows his shots are going to be tough to walk in but, Robert knows that the ambush team on the ground is in a world of shit right now and can use all of the help they can get.  He squeezes off another string of [5] HE rounds toward what's left of the dismounting infantry.

Tucker
AGS-17 [15/30 HE]
Firing at troops from the overturned vehicle
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 441 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 16:30
Re: Bloody Wood
Mariusz squeezed into the sidecar and rearranged things so he could fire if he needed to. As they bounced along yelled at Dawid, "Do we barrel straight in firing or try to take them in the flank? We can probably manouvre between the trees."

He looked intently forward, hoping that if they were the cavalry, that they'd be in time. He swallowed, he had a sneaky feeling that they were actually the indians.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 351 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 16:34
Re: Bloody Wood
Griet heard the trike roar off and unslung her Tantal. She pointed to her back, "Mister McCoy, I have an AKSU strapped to my back, you're a big man, could you make use of it in your left hand? If so, feel free to use it."

She looked at the man, "You're the expert here, I think we should move back to the truck, covering our backs as we go, but I'll follow your directions without arguement."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1114 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 23:00
Re: Bloody Wood
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #348):

Dawid yelled back, "That's good thinking! But we don't know what the situation is yet! Let's get to the Honker, see if Tucker and Jan know what's going on! We can decide to flank on foot then or set up covering fire down the road at that point!"

He suspected that things weren't going too well, but he had no idea that the ambush line had been isolated and was in danger of being overrun.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:50, Sun 25 Jan 2009.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1123 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 24 Jan 2009
at 02:54
Spilled Milk

The enemy infantry have taken up covered positions and begun to return fire. Incoming rounds crack and buzz all around the ambush team as more and more hot lead begins to fill the air.

Milk, closest to the enemy positions, continues to send rounds towards the enemy troops. His fight comes to an end as an enemy bullet finds its mark. Milk's head rocks backwards and he crumples to the ground in a bloody heap.

Ondar ejects his empty magazine and reaches into his webbing for another. As he is about to slam it home, his right arm is hammered by a bullet. The pain and shock of the impact causes him to drop the fresh mag on the ground beside the fallen tree behind which he's taken up a firing position. He curses himself for letting such an insignificant [slight] wound affect him so and reaches down to recover the full mag.

Konrad places a 40mm round just a few meters from an enemy soldier preparing to fire from behind a standing tree. The blast knocks the man down. Dead leaves rain down to the ground around the wounded enemy soldier through a thin screen of smoke. Rounds thwock into the tree just a few inches in front of Konrad's left knee, reminding him that he is someone else's target.

Minh spots a brave but foolhardy soldier breaking cover to pull a wounded comrade into cover behind the truck. She fights to keep the bucking barrel of her AK on target. Fifteen rounds race downrange. The rescuer falls backwards, gut shot, dragging his now twice wounded friend down with him.

Stoner sends 30 rounds of 7.62mm across the road, keeping the half-dozen men who had debussed to the east side pinned their, unable to flank the ambush team or lay down effective counterfire. Stoner grimmaces as he sees the M240's ammunition belt shrinkign quickly out of the corner of his eye. Hot brass is starting to pile up in the ditch beside him. Fifty meters up the road (north) he sees the dim shapes of at least a dozen more enemy infantry (must be from the first, crashed truck, he realizes) beginning to deploy towards the battle zone.

Tarpan-Honker

As Jan jukes violently to avoid enemy fire, Tucker fires off a last desperation burst of five 30mm HE grenades at where he judges the enemy infantry from the crashed truck to be (it's difficult to tell due to the separation speed and Jan's wild manouvering). He can't be sure, but he thinks he sees one or two explosions in the target area.

Jan slows abruptly as the Ural trike appears ahead, approaching them on a collision course at high speed. Glancing over his shoulder to make sure they are out of harm's way, he pulls to a stop. Clutching his bloodied knee, he shouts to the two riders,

"Your'e it?"

Gun-truck

Jason, Anneka, Griet, Sam, Walter, and Adam try to busy themselves as the sound of the battle to their south grows in violence.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:35, Sat 31 Jan 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 883 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 24 Jan 2009
at 06:08
Re: Spilled Milk
Bayer tugs at his tac vest and pulls out a smoke grenade. Pulling the pin he throws it with the intention of smoking off one side (left or right) of the enemy force (to reduce their fire).

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
"Sunray, Knife.  What's your status?  Have Tango's between us and your twenty.  What's your pleasure over?"


With his free hand he clicks the radio transmit, "Tuck! Danger close. Dump it all and don't worry about us!" Bayer was betting on their covered prone positions protecting them while the moving (assaulting) enemy will be caught much more exposed.

Bayer
Mid Assault
Throwing HC at enemy

Alexei Ondar
 player, 91 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Sat 24 Jan 2009
at 06:32
Re: Spilled Milk
Ondar ducks behind the fallen log now providing him nominal cover, recovers the dropped ammunition and slams it into the SVU's magazine well.  One downside to the compact form factor of the bullpup configuration was the increased awkwardness involved in reloading it.

As the action cycled forward, loading a fresh 7.62x54mm round into the receiver, he was quite conscious of the pain radiating from his upper right arm.  However, the decorated veteran had been wounded enough times before to feel confident that he could bear down and grit through this encounter until a better opportunity for closer inspection and treatment presented itself.

He rolls over onto his left side and reaches instinctively for the position on his combat webbing where a fragmentation grenade would be secured if he had not surrendered all of his explosives the previous day.  He fumbles briefly with the empty attachment point and curses himself again in his native Tuvan.  His contribution to this battle, it seems, will be constrained to precision rifle fire.

So contribute I shall.

Peeking again over the top of the log, Ondar coolly and deliberately acquires another target and pulls the trigger twice.



[Ondar]
Left flank of ambush line
SVU-AS (8/10)
Bleeding and seething

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1116 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 25 Jan 2009
at 03:50
Re: Spilled Milk
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #352):

Dawid hit the brakes, gravel spraying. On a 2-wheeled bike the machine would have slid out from beneath him, but the sidecar kept them balanced as they skidded to a stop. He noted they were wounded.

He dismounted, slinging his Tantal and picking up the PKM by the carry handle.

"Things sound very bad! Where are they located? Perhaps we can help the others disengage, although they may have to meet us in Warszawa."

Turning the bike so that it was pointed north, Dawid made sure Mariusz had the two spare ammo cans, one with a full belt and the other with a half-belt.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:51, Sun 25 Jan 2009.

Sam McCoy
 player, 190 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 25 Jan 2009
at 05:05
Re: Spilled Milk

To Griet:

"We must get back into the fight with all we have. Right now is the point of decision and we must win to save all our lives."

To Ann:

"You must lead us back. I will man the big gun and Griet can man the MK-19. Get us back into the fight to save our friends lives. Adam and Walter can drive and you ride shotgun. We must go and help now."

If Ann won't follow, he will turn the truck around and just go with Griet, Adam and Walter. If he sees Tuck and the rest on the way he will gather them, rally them to a point were they can see targets, and make a support by fire position. This is the decision point, Sam knows. All or nothing here for the team. The team is above all else in the SF world and this is now all their team. If they get into a support by fire position he will direct and fire; all guns to break the enemy's back and their will to fight. Sam knows that at a point too many casualtiws and they must break... they must....


To all:
"We must go now and save our friends or all is lost!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:39, Sat 31 Jan 2009.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 442 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 25 Jan 2009
at 10:40
Re: Spilled Milk
Mariusz used the time the trike was stationary to check the PK machine gun had a full belt and to stow the spare equipment as effectively as he could. He looked up at the gun truck and said, "I think we need to bring the gun truck into the fight, either that or it should start running so that the ambush team have bought something with their lives."

He settled himself in the sidecar and kissed his bundle of crosses, St. Christophers and the occasional Star of David, without the gun truck he and Dawid were probably riding to their deaths. Mariusz was fine with that, he'd been living on borrowed time for too long to worry about death, at least this way he would go out trying to support his comrades. If the gun truck didn't weigh in with it's heavy weaponry soon, the ambush would probably be overwhelemed even if they got the machine gun into action, with the heavy weaponry they had a chance of driving the enemy off, a small chance maybe, but a chance nonetheless.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 945 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Sun 25 Jan 2009
at 11:19
Re: Spilled Milk
"I agree," Anneka responded the moment McCoy finished speaking.
"But the truck is no good with the trailer hitched, and Adam and Walter are civilians."
"Can you use that arm?"

Without delay, Anneka shrugged off her webbing, dug into the stores and pulled out several magazines for herself, which were promptly stuffed into her pockets. A moment later as she continued to talk, a handful of Soviet hand grenades sat on the truck bed within easy reach of Griet and McCoy.
"McCoy and Griet, we move on foot, pick up Tucker and Jan and assault into the killing ground with small arms and grenades."
"Walter, you will move back with us and take over the T-H."
"Jason, you're best used here to watch over Adam and Walter since you're unable to walk."

She jumped down and ensured she had at least one field dressing on her.
"You might be best swapping weapons with Jason for this McCoy."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 352 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 25 Jan 2009
at 11:36
Re: Spilled Milk
Griet spent some time stripping off any unessential gear including the AKSU and anything but two spare magazines for her Tantal. She put the two grenades she had in her upper pockets, she took two more grenades and moved close to the Major, "With respect,Major, it might be wise to unhook the trailer and use the gun truck as fire support, with us rienforcing the ambush, a few bursts of heavy fire from it might convince the enemy to break off, otherwise, a few assaulters on foot are not the force multiplier we need. As for worryingabout civilians, they signed up for this so they take their chances like anyone else, she swallowed, including my father."
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 946 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Sun 25 Jan 2009
at 12:35
Re: Spilled Milk
"It'd take too long and it's too exposed to enemy fire. We'll pick up the AGS from the T-H on the way past."
High up above the ground with nothing but air around them, they'd be bullet magnets for the enemy, far more inviting, and important targets than the people pinned down in the kill group.
"On the ground we can take advantage of cover and concealment and we're not restricted to the roadway."
They'd be heard coming too even if by some miracle they weren't seen first.
Minh Quyen
 player, 348 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 25 Jan 2009
at 13:22
Re: Spilled Milk
Quyen lowers the rifle and grasps one of her frag grenades. Keeping her body as low as possible she hurls it towards the nearest enemy concentration of at least 2 men.

Quyen is on the left flank. During her last move she realigned with the threat taking the opportunity to make best use of cover that is available. She fights in the prone.

Minh Quyen
AK74
Throwing frag
Leftmost in assault group

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 353 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 25 Jan 2009
at 17:44
Re: Spilled Milk
"Very well," Griet commented, "but please note that I stronly disagree with your assesment of the situation. However, now is not the time to debate who is right or wrong."

She finished her preparations and raised her weary body, ready to throw it back into combat once more.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1117 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 25 Jan 2009
at 20:17
Re: Spilled Milk
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #356):

Waiting for some kind of information from Tuck in order that they don't fire on their own people, Dawid heard Konrad's broadcast. Obviously, it didn't matter as much to the people in the cauldron. "Hang on, Konrad."

Seeing Mariusz kissing his own religious icons Dawid did the same with his rosary, then put it back.

"Don't worry my friend, all isn't lost yet." He transmitted to Anneka, "things are collapsing here. Bring in the Star and anyone who can fire a gun, or our friends are dead."

He picked up the PKM, making sure Mariusz had the spare ammo cans. "There, we're ready to go. Tuck, do not worry, we will not need any more information than we know already. Good luck!"

Flipping down his NVGs he set off on foot down the road until he could clearly see muzzle flashes in the trees and identify where most of the Eastern Bloc weapons fire was concentrated due to the distinctive sound. That was good enough for his purposes, a machinegun was not a pinpoint weapon. He found a log off to the side of the road and set up the PKM.

Once the bipod was set up and Mariusz was in cover and ready to feed him ammunition, he commenced grazing fire of the target area, firing bursts back and forth into the "strike zone": knee to chest high. "Look for additional targets and make sure we're not being flanked!"


PKM GPMG (100/100 + 150 spare rounds)
Grazing Fire into the woods, 3 bursts of 5 rounds per turn (rolling on 4 of 5 shots).
Off the west side of the road.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:18, Sun 25 Jan 2009.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 443 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 25 Jan 2009
at 20:23
Re: Spilled Milk
Mariusz set up the bipod of the RPK-74 and looked around to check they weren't being flanked. He began firing controlled bursts toward the enemy, hoping that the sound of two support weapons firing from a new quarter would unsettle the enemy.

Mariusz
RPK-74 (26/40) (6x30 spare mags)
Firing empty

This message was last edited by the player at 20:26, Sun 25 Jan 2009.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 271 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Mon 26 Jan 2009
at 12:09
Re: Spilled Milk
Oh man, Dave thought to himself. Stick a fork in us, we're done. Between bursts he glanced down to make sure his rifle was in reach.

"Konrad! You got a better plan than Stand and Deliver?" he shouts out above the din of battle.

Dave
firing at enemy
M240 ??? ammo
AK-74/BG
Aid bag
in the ditch

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 565 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 26 Jan 2009
at 15:33
Re: Spilled Milk
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer tugs at his tac vest and pulls out a smoke grenade. Pulling the pin he throws it with the intention of smoking off one side (left or right) of the enemy force (to reduce their fire).

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
"Sunray, Knife.  What's your status?  Have Tango's between us and your twenty.  What's your pleasure over?"


With his free hand he clicks the radio transmit, "Tuck! Danger close. Dump it all and don't worry about us!" Bayer was betting on their covered prone positions protecting them while the moving (assaulting) enemy will be caught much more exposed.
Tucker listens to the call from Konrad and yells to Jan to stop the vehicle.   He responds over the radio to Konrad, "Roger that Boss.  Danger close it is.  Keep your heads down.  Rounds incoming.  Good Luck!  Knife out," is all he says as he sights in the area when he was shooting before and (if he can or [5] rounds will suffice) empties the last of the belt into that area.

Tucker
AGS-17 [15/30 HE]
Firing in around area where hoistiles are 'Danger Close'
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1126 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 27 Jan 2009
at 02:39
Do-Si-Do

Ambush Group (Konrad, Ondar, Stoner, Minh)

From her back, on the far left (west) side of the firing line, Minh heaves a hand grenade towards the enemy positions, some 60m away. The grenade lands well short, the noise and flash of its explosion causing at least one enemy infantryman to pause a few seconds in his firing.

Ondar reloads. Leaning against his fallen log, he feels the impact of bullets against the wood, which is just thick and solid enough to stop the 5.45mm bullets from drilling straight through. Risking further exposure to enemy fire, he rises just enough to props his rifle on the log, Minh's grenade buying him enough time to acquire a target. He fires two rounds and, through his rifle scope, sees his target stagger backwards on his knees and drop to the forrest floor.

Konrad, knowing that the bulk of the enemy force is mustered to the east, hurls a smoke grenade towards the road, rounds popping all around him. It erupts in a cloud of thick, purple smoke, concealing the surviving members of the ambush group from enemy eyes- and vice versa- on its right flank (Stoner will still be visible to the enemy force on the east side of the if he rises up from his roadside fold in the ground).

Stoner pauses in his firing. As the smoke billows up almost due north of his position, he sees at least a dozen enemy infantry on the other side of the road beginning to sweep wide through the trees to the east in an apparent attempt to get into flanking position.

Milk lies motionless, a dozen meters or so in front of the ambush team.

Konrad, Ondar, and Minh have all noticed the weakness of the enemy's right flank (to the ambush groups left, or west). Several enemy soldiers have already been felled on the west side of the road and the amount of incoming from that quarter is relatively light- only three or four muzzle flashes (likely from AKs) can still be seen from the ambush team's positions. Konrad's smoke partially conceals the group from the much larger and more intact enemy force to the east. Enemy fire is much heavier from that direction but most of it appears to suppressive in nature and not aimed at anyone in particular. It doesn't take a Monty or a Zhukov to surmise that the heavy, apparently unaimed enemy fire buzzing in from the east is meant to keep the ambush group's heads down while an enemy force swings around to hit them from the flank and/or the rear.

Rescue Team 1 (Dawid and Mariusz)

Dawid and Mariusz trot down the road, trees on either side and a thin strip of powder blue sky directly above. The sound of the battle is growing fiercer every second. They see the enemy at the same time the enemy sees them. A force of about seven men in a skirmish line sweeping north (towards them) perpendicular to the road on its east side. Dawid lunges sideways (to his left, or east) for the relative cover of a fallen tree, hauling the somewhat groggy Mariusz along with him. As they set up their weapons, the enemy executes a similarly hasty move and begins laying down fire on the rescue team's position. Only about 100m separates the two groups of antagonists.

OOC: Due to the relative and mutual surprise of this meeting engagement, neither Dawid nor Mari has had a chance to fire. They may both do so this round, if they so choose. The enemy fired first since they didn't need to set up their weapons.

T-H (Tucker and Jan)

In his attempt to follow Konrad's orders, Tucker instructs Jan to back the jeep down the road (back to the south) in order to reestablish LOS with the enemy. Grimmacing in pain, Jan complies and begins heading backwards in the direction they had just came. After a few seconds, they see Dawid and Mariusz lunge for cover on the east side of the road barely 50m down the road. Further south, they can see the see the boxy shape of the jackknifed enemy truck and, beyond that, on the western edge of the road, the miniature profile of the second, upright enemy truck.

Tucker has not fired yet, being as the T-H did not have LOS to the enemy after Jan's withdrawal under fire. The AGS may be fired this round if Tucker so wishes.

Gun-Truck (Anneka, Sam, Jason, Walter, and Adam)

Unwilling to delay a rescue attempt any longer, Anneka leads Griet, the wounded Sam, and Walter south down the road on foot. Jason remains behind with Adam, the only security for the unit's most powerful material asset. Under the circumstances, however, there are really very few other viable options. Griet is unable to run, or even jog, so the foot-bound rescue team is limited to a brisk walk. At that pace, it will take at least several minutes to get into a position to influence events at the battle sight.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:37, Tue 27 Jan 2009.

Minh Quyen
 player, 350 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 27 Jan 2009
at 05:26
Re: Do-Si-Do
Quyen ducks her head back down. Things were too hectic. What was she thinking... too far! Collecting her rifle she reloads - whilst keeping herself below cover and out of view of the enemy. No point getting shot if it can be helped.

"Reloading!" she yells.

Quyen
Left Flank
Reloading AK

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1118 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 27 Jan 2009
at 08:32
Re: Do-Si-Do
Bullets zipped around them. The forest opened up with muzzle flashes scarcely dimmed by the coming dawn overhead.

Shit, they already got our number, Dawid thought, a stand-up fight is a good way to die.

"Down! Follow me!" He pulled Mariusz down. Once out of sight, he commenced low-crawling to a position away from where they were last seen, so that they could get set up in concealment without getting nailed.


PKM GPMG (100/100 + 150 spare rounds)
Moving via low crawl to different covered position. Edit Added: When arriving at a different and more concealed position, the plan is the same: fire 3x5-round bursts per turn to suppress/kill their opponents.
East of the Road.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:43, Tue 27 Jan 2009.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 444 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 27 Jan 2009
at 18:22
Re: Do-Si-Do
Mariusz hugged the ground and started crawling slowly after Dawid.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 92 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Wed 28 Jan 2009
at 05:36
Re: Do-Si-Do
As the plume of purple smoke to his right thickens, and the fire from his left fades, Ondar sees an opportunity to turn the battle.

"Move west now!" he hollers down the ambush line. "Before get flank."

He then flips the selector on his rifle to automatic fire as he rolls over the downed tree in front of him, and rips off a five round suppressive burst to the west.  He darts toward Milk, grabs the American by the drag handle of his armor plate carrier and begins to pull him back to the relative saftey of the dead log.

"Go!" the defector again encourages his team to maximize their present tactical advantage.  "I cover!"

The warrior ethic of "no man left behind" runs deep through Ondar's veins.  He loads a fresh magazine into his weapon then begins to herc Milk up over his left shoulder in a fireman's carry.   Though small of stature, the American's muscular frame was unnervingly dead weight and the fresh wound to Ondar's shooting arm was no help.  The Soviet operator musters every ounce of his remaining strength and will in order to recover the fallen American and provide overwatch to the team's bounding westward advance.  He digs deep.  Failure is not an option.



[Ondar]
Left flank of ambush line
SVU-AS (10/10)
Rallying

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 273 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 28 Jan 2009
at 12:36
Re: Do-Si-Do
Dave shifts his fire to the enemy trying to flank them. "Tangoes moving at 2 o'clock! They're working on flanking us!" Dave yells out to the others, in case they haven't noticed.

He'll keep firing until the MG runs out of ammo, then switch to his AK/BG and use the grenade launcher first. (Note that he's had his rifle beside him ready to go since the fight started.)

Dave
firing at enemy
M240 ??? ammo
AK-74/BG
Aid bag
in the ditch

Konrad Bayer
 player, 886 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 28 Jan 2009
at 14:09
Re: Do-Si-Do
"Wait!" Bayer yells, "One foot on the ground! Wait for cover."

"Quyen, Ondar move."

"Stoner, cover with me."

(Then alternate)

Pulling his other smoke, he hurls it in between the larger flanking force and their own position.

Bayer
Throwing HC
Middle Assault

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1131 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 29 Jan 2009
at 02:55
An Opportunity Drifts Away

Ambush Team

Ondar breaks cover and fires a burst, wounding an enemy rifleman. He leaps to his feet and rushes towards Milk. At least two riflemen target Ondar, saturating the air around him with supersonic metal. One bullet slams into Ondar's midsection, pancaking just a centimeter above the bottom edge of the ceramic plate in his third generation Soviet body armor. The gut punch literally stops him in his tracks, knocking him down, gasping for breath. Despite the pain of the impact, Ondar knows that the bullet has been stopped short of his tender belly.

Minh reloads and cautiously surveys the battlefield. A panorama of death and destruction unfolds in front of her during the three or four seconds Minh risks to raise her head. Ondar is down but moving a few meters away and Milk, a few meters beyond that, is most likely dead. Only two muzzle flashes (the sound of the firing suggests AK-74s) are visible to the north. Another enemy soldier, partially concealed behind a scrawny tree, appears to be struggling frantically to clear a jam. Two of three soldiers squirm and wriggle in the leaf litter, clearly wounded. The soles of several pairs of boots pointing skyward indicate likely KIAs.

Stoner burns through the remainder of the belted 7.62mm for the M240, sending winding strings of red tracers towards the flanking force to the east. Most of the enemy troops drop out of sight and the SEAL medic can only hope that at least some of them have fallen to his fire. Konrad, meanwhile, tosses another smoke towards the road. The canister bounces onto the dirt tracks and begins belching forth red smoke. Drifts of violet and crimson intermingle on the ambush team's right (east) flank, embellishing the battlefield with garrish curtains of shifting color.

Rescue Team

About 200m north of the ambush team's precarious position, Dawid leaves the cover of the fallen tree and attempts to crawl towards a new position a few meters to the east. Bullets impact against the ground nearby, throwing up tiny geysers of earth, leaves, and wood splinters. A bullet tears through the back of his right thigh, exiting in a spray of blood. A second round punches through a full canteen at Dawid's waist but fails to carry through. He hurriedly scoots backwards, inadvertently kicking Mariusz in the head as he returns to the relative safety of the thick, dead wood.

T-H

The Tarpan-Honker is now in a position to engage either the enemy squad that has Dawid and Mariusz pinned down or the troops lingering in the vicinity of both armored trucks with direct fire (it does not, however, have LOS to the force attempting to flank the ambush team on the eastern side of the road). During the shift into the current firing position, Tucker reloaded the AGS with a full canister of 30mm grenades (linking belts would take too long). The enemy infantry will no doubt soon take note of the T-H.

Second Rescue Force

Anneka urges the others on, picking up the pace despite her own exhaustion. Griet struggles to keep up. Sam, despite his ugly wound, forges ahead of the diminutive Israeli doctor while the understandibly reluctant Walter follows up at the rear.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:36, Thu 29 Jan 2009.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 382 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Thu 29 Jan 2009
at 06:13
Re: An Opportunity Drifts Away
"Adam, how about pulling across the road at an angle so I can cover both north and south if necessary?" Jason asks the old captain.  "Leave some space so you can pull back onto the road in a hurry.  You watch to the north in case the soldiers from this Tarpan-Honker come back."  Jason sits behind the Mk-19, concentrating on looking to the south, but occasionally glancing to the north as well.

Jason K.
Star 6x6 bed
Mk-19 [50/50 HVHEDP]
F88 AGL [30/30; HE]
Keeping watch

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1120 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 29 Jan 2009
at 06:51
Re: An Opportunity Drifts Away
Dawid said, "well, that's not good at all. Better the leg than the head! Let's withdraw, before we get flanked ourselves."

Keeping low behind cover and taking care to keep something in between him and the attackers, he withdrew to the north.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:21, Thu 29 Jan 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 887 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 29 Jan 2009
at 08:38
Re: An Opportunity Drifts Away
As the smoke from the pair of HC grenades mask them from some of the enemy, Bayer repeats himself, "Ondar! Quyen! Move!"

He then lays the sights onto one of the visible enemy (the one clearing the jam)... squeezing off 3 rounds.

Bayer
Firing 3 rounds at enemy (covering moving troops)
G36 (20/30)

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 274 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 29 Jan 2009
at 12:21
Re: An Opportunity Drifts Away
Dave sees the last of the ammo belt feed and hears the dry click of the weapon running out of ammo. Yep, perfect fucking timing, the thinks to himself. He grabs his rifle from beside him and lets loose with a HE grenade, then switches to the rifle.


Dave
firing at enemy
M240 no ammo
AK-74, 6 magazines
BG 15, 6 he, 1 illum
Aid bag
in the ditch

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 445 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 29 Jan 2009
at 19:32
Re: An Opportunity Drifts Away
Mariusz heard Dawid's instructions and shrugged, they'd stuck their balls in the vice to help their comrades, he didn't want to give up without a try. He looked around quickly to determine if there was a safe line of retreat and then pulled his frag grenades out of a pouch and lay them on the ground. He swopped out the partially full 40 round mag for a full 30 round one.

As he did so, he spoke to Dawid, "I'll hold here and give you time to pull back. Once you're in a safer position, call me and I'll come to you."

Mariusz
RPK-74 (31/30)
2 frag grenades
Preparing to engage flankers

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 355 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 29 Jan 2009
at 19:34
Re: An Opportunity Drifts Away
Griet kept grinding on through the chilly dawn air, her breath making her look like a miniature steam tug as each breath rattled harshly through her throat and chest. Everything burned as she tried to keep up with the others. She hoped they'd get there soon, after any more of this, combat and potential death would seem a blessing.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1122 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 29 Jan 2009
at 20:59
Re: An Opportunity Drifts Away
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #378):

Dawid appreciated his comrade's spirit and couldn't help smiling. "One versus seven isn't good odds. We have been brave enough, Mariusz, now let's live to fight another day." His leg wasn't hurting too badly yet, but he knew it would, and soon.

With that, he popped one of his smoke grenades in front of their position to cover a withdrawal.

"Come on, there's nothing more we can do here. Besides, you need to take the machinegun, I may be too weak to carry it soon!"

He started to withdraw at that point (as before) with a crouching limp, urging Mariusz to follow.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:26, Fri 30 Jan 2009.

'Old' Adam Rataj
 NPC, 66 posts
 Polish (NPC)
 Captain of the Queen
Fri 30 Jan 2009
at 00:21
Re: An Opportunity Drifts Away
Jason Kasparov:
"Adam, how about pulling across the road at an angle so I can cover both north and south if necessary?" Jason asks the old captain.  "Leave some space so you can pull back onto the road in a hurry.  You watch to the north in case the soldiers from this Tarpan-Honker come back."


Adam surveys the area and does some quick calculations in his head before answering with confidence,

"Yes, I can do that. Good idea Mr. Kasparov."

The old man climbs back into the cab and starts the big STAR. Backing and filling a couple of times, he angles the truck to allow Jason to engage targets both to the south and to the north and northeast- the direction in which the enemy squad had retreated earlier. The cab cuts off the angle to the northwest. Jason will have to heave the Mk-19 about a bit in order to point it to the north. Adam parks the STAR so that he can quickly and easily pull back onto the road for a quick getaway.
Clarence Milk
 NPC, 200 posts
 Chief Warrant Officer 2
 U.S. Army Special Forces
Fri 30 Jan 2009
at 00:34
Re: An Opportunity Drifts Away

Chemical-electrical impulses flicker along the neural pathways and synapses in Clarence Milk's shattered brain.

A sense of regret. Something called RESET. Duty unfulfilled. Darkness. Loss.

A tiny, faint light appears, growing slowly but steadily, filling his vision, reaching out, surrounding him. It is warm, welcoming, comforting. He sees his daughters sitting on the steps of his Chicago Brownstone, feels the cool wind coming off of lake Michigan, smells the hotdogs at Wrigley Field.

He feels safe. Content. Home.

And then, Clarence Milk is gone.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 567 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 30 Jan 2009
at 04:47
Re: An Opportunity Drifts Away
Cap'n Rae:
T-H
The Tarpan-Honker is now in a position to engage either the enemy squad that has Dawid and Mariusz pinned down or the troops lingering in the vicinity of both armored trucks with direct fire (it does not, however, have LOS to the force attempting to flank the ambush team on the eastern side of the road). During the shift into the current firing position, Tucker reloaded the AGS with a full canister of 30mm grenades (linking belts would take too long). The enemy infantry will no doubt soon take note of the T-H.Actions?
Once Tucker has the new belt of ammo in place he keys the readio and calls out, "Sunray, Knife!  Rounds out, Danger Close!  I say again, Rounds Out, Danger Close!  How copy over?"  Tucker takes hold of the grips and lays loose with the AGS-17, firing [5] HE rounds down towards their pursuers.

Tucker
AGS-17 [30/30 HE]
Firing [5] HE rounds to cover the ground ambush team
Minh Quyen
 player, 351 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 30 Jan 2009
at 11:16
Re: An Opportunity Drifts Away
Snapping the fresh magazine into her rifle, Quyen yells, "Moving now!" Despite the incoming small arms fire, she was confident in Bayer and Stoner's cover fire (and the smoke).

Rising, she glances for her teammate - Ondar. Realizing he'd been knocked down, she tries to scoop him up with a free hand grasped around his webbing. Not stopping, she used her own momentum to gather the force necessary to (partially) lift him. Quyen hoped he had enough strength to do at least some of the lifting.

"C'mon!" she says in mid lift.

If she was successful at helping Ondar up, Quyen will keep sprinting along the group's intended withdraw route. Quyen's small frame was quick and agile... hopefully enough to keep out of the path of a bullet or fragment.

Quyen
AK74 (30/30)
Left Flank
Taking a bound

This message was last edited by the player at 11:17, Fri 30 Jan 2009.

Alexei Ondar
 player, 94 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Fri 30 Jan 2009
at 18:30
Re: An Opportunity Drifts Away
Ondar was not sure which hit him in the gut harder, the impact of the enemy rifle bullet pancaked on his body armor or watching the last remaining life drain from Clarence Milk's eyes.  Unfortunately, although stunned and winded, there was no time for further consideration.  Rolling with Minh's attempt to lift him, he returns to his feet.

"Right behind you," the paratrooper gasps.

He raises his rifle to his shoulder and locates one of the remaining antagontists still blocking their withdrawl.  Target acquired, Ondar rips off a five round burst to cover their charge to the west.



[Ondar]
Left flank of ambush line
SVU-AS (5/10)
Withdrawing

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 446 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 31 Jan 2009
at 11:01
Re: An Opportunity Drifts Away
Mariusz saw the first skeins of the smoke grenade start to swirl and said, "That's why I want you to pull back first. Take the RPK and find somewhere safe, I'll cover your move and then you can cover mine. If we move together and the flankers catch us in the open, we're screwed. This way we'll be able to cover each other."

He looked at the injured Pole, "Take the RPK and start crawling, I won't be far behind."
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 957 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Sat 31 Jan 2009
at 12:06
Re: An Opportunity Drifts Away
Never again Anneka thought to herself as lungs burnt and legs rebelled.
Never again should we allow ourselves to become so spread out.
She understood the need to ensure the enemy T-H had been dealt with, but their own truck certainly didn't need to have moved up to join it. On the other hand, the two they had sent on the bike along may not have faired as well as they had if they didn't....
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1132 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 31 Jan 2009
at 17:47
Making a Break

Ambush Team

Konrad draws a bead on the enemy rifleman who appears to be clearing a jam. Rounds blast splinters of wood from the tree behind which the soldier is partially sheltered. Sensing the danger, the man shrinks further behind the narrow barrier.

Minh pops up and runs to Ondar, grabbing him by his webbing and helping the solidly built Tuvan rise quickly to his knees. Something sizzles across her belly, drawing a stinging streak through the top layers of skin on her stomach. Her adrenaline-saturated body briefly acknowledges the wound but the pain is gone almost as soon as it appears.

From his knees, Ondar snaps off a burst of fire at a prone, firing rifleman, shattering the man's right leg and eliminating another source of enemy fire.

Stoner, firing blind, launches a 40mm grenade east through the spreading violet smoke, then rises and hefting both the M240 and his AK/GL combo, begins running west towards Minh and Ondar. A bullet from the east passes through his trousers and grazes the inside of his left calf. He barely notices it.

Rescue Team

As Dawid's green smoke begins to spread, the wounded Polish artillerist begins crawling back the way he'd come, keeping the falling log between himself and the enemy squad. Mariusz crawls to his right along the tree and finds a loophole created by a fork near what used to be the top of the old tree. From this position, Mariusz can fire directly south and to the southwest, along the road. He won't, however, be able to cover the southeastern quadrant without exposing more of his own body to enemy fire.

T-H

Selflessly, Tucker targets the enemy force assailing the ambush team, just beyond visual range due to the intervening trees. As he unleashed yet another five-round burst from the AGS, he's targetted by two members of the enemy squad 75m to the south (the same squad who've got Mari and Dawid pinned). As soon as the fifth grenade is away, Tucker feels a hammer blow against his upper, left arm. Releasing the firing handles of the Plamya, he knows instantly that this wound is much worse than the grazing wound on his right forearm. Dawid's green smoke soon conceals both groups, making aimed fire in either direction impossible. Enemy bullets, although blind, can still kill.

Ambush Team

As the four surviving members of the ambush team begin to break to the west, two enemy riflemen prepare to shoot the easy targets now presenting themselves. They are preempted as five sharp explosions rock* the area, two of which are close enough to riddle the enemy pair with shrapnel (as well as a couple of wounded enemy and the soldier with the bad jam). It's just the break the ambush team needed. There is now no incoming fire from the western side of the road. Unaimed (due to the smoke), long-range fire continues to streak in from the large flanking force on the eastern side of the road. It will continue to pose a danger until the ambush team either continues further to the west or cuts directly north through the now silent enemy positions.

Relief Force

Sam rounds a slight curve in the road and sees, about 200m up ahead of him, the front of the party's Tarpan-Honker. Green smoke blankers the road to the south of the T-H. Bullets buzz high overhead. Anneka and Griet, both exhausted, soon come up behind him, followed by Walter.

Actions?

* Tucker's 30mm HE burst

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:34, Sat 31 Jan 2009.

Sam McCoy
 player, 191 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sat 31 Jan 2009
at 20:35
Re: Making a Break
Sam will move to the vehicle to assess casualties and the vehicle's ablity to move. He will try to stay tactical when he moves, trying not to expose himself to enemy fire.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:46, Sat 31 Jan 2009.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 384 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sat 31 Jan 2009
at 21:15
Re: Making a Break
Jason continues to keep watch, swiveling his head to check both north and south while the sound of gunfire and explosions still comes from down the road.  He silently curses the luck that has him out of action while his comrades are in danger.  I wish I were at the controls of an Apache, or a Blackhawk with a doorgunner.  Hell, even an old Huey would do.  Anything to help out.  Damn it, I've got to get back into the air!

Jason K.
Star 6x6 bed
Mk-19 [50/50 HVHEDP]
F88 AGL [30/30; HE]
"He also serves who stands (sits?) and waits."

Jan Cerny
 player, 87 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 31 Jan 2009
at 21:56
Re: Making a Break

"Tucker!"

Jan [NPC'ed], clambers over the front seats of the Tarpan-Honker, gritting his teeth at the pain and stiffness in his bloody left knee. He's positioning himself to either aid Tucker or to take over the AGS.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 447 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 1 Feb 2009
at 14:31
Re: Making a Break
Mariusz  fired blindly into the growing smoke cloud, hoping that his fire would keep the enemy's heads down and buy Dawid time to find a safer spot. He hoped the older man could find something quickly before the flankers regrouped and outflanked him.

Mariusz
Long Burst 25 rounds
PKMG 100/100

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 356 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 1 Feb 2009
at 14:35
Re: Making a Break
Griet came alongside Anneka and breathed in harshly, "We may be screwed...too many down... too many enemy."

She breathed in again, "Let me... try this...I'll take the RESET papers and some grenades...offer to turn them over if they let all of you go...blow them up otherwise...you take the films and get them back to the US...US will still benefit...I'll try to make sure Soviets don't..."
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 958 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 00:43
Re: Making a Break
Anneka's reply was a simple, panted, "No."
Right now they didn't really know what the situation really was. Since leaving the truck a minute or more before, they'd had no indication of what was going on besides the sounds of gunfire and whisps of smoke wafting through the distant trees.
For all Anneka, Griet, Walter and McCoy knew, they were winning, driving the remnants of the enemy away and only required the rest of the unit to help in the mopping up and salvage.
Very few knew that Milk was dead and most others wounded in some way, not even some of those directly engaged, so busy were they dodging incoming bullets and trying to keep their own heads intact.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 888 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 00:56
Re: Making a Break
Bayer waits until he hears the covering fire from Quyen and Ondar. Then he rolls to the side and rises. Moving in tandem with Stoner, he swings around and fires a short burst towards the enemy. He runs to the side to make himself slightly more difficult to hit. Once down he yells to the pair covering his fireteam, "Covering. Go!"

Bayer
Moving back
G36 (17/30)

This message was last edited by the player at 03:15, Mon 02 Feb 2009.

Alexei Ondar
 player, 95 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 05:37
Re: Making a Break
Ondar quickly surveys the tactical situation.  As Bayer initiates covering fire, the Tuvan defector cuts to the northwest in an attempt to break contact.



[Ondar]
Left flank of ambush line
SVU-AS (5/10)
Withdrawing

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1123 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 07:54
Re: Making a Break
Taking the AK-74 and leaning on the barrel, using the butt as a crutch, Dawid hopped back to the motorcycle. Once there, he treated his injury using his 1st Aid kit to staunch the bleeding and tying off a tourniquet on his leg if necessary.
Minh Quyen
 player, 352 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 14:32
Re: Making a Break
Quyen dashes on, putting more distance between her and the enemy, and hopefully the flanking troops. She cuts through the underbrush and tears past leafless trees with claw and reach out for her. She stumbles over a small log/branch hidden under a layer of dead leaves, but keeps her balance. As her bound comes to a close her eyes dart around for a new fighting position.

Rounding a good size tree and pops out on the other side, rifle ready. The wound taken earlier was already forgotten - at least for the moment. Leveling her rifle she looks past her teammates as they withdraw. Selecting a target she aims.

Quyen
Getting into prone firing position/aiming

Konrad Bayer
 player, 889 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 15:22
Re: Making a Break
Bayer won't make another bound until he's sure of two things - the other fireteam is covering him and Stoner, and he's the last (alive) to leave. Selecting another target he fires a trio of rounds. He tries to push his feelings for the loss of Milk out of his mind and concentrate on the situation. It was hard. Milk was a loyal and dedicated NCO to this odd river endeavor. He'd defused problems and helped him with his own jobs at hand. He would be surely missed.

Snapping his mind back into reality, he yells into his radio, "Mariusz! Where's that machinegun? We're falling back under heavy pressure."

Bayer
Covering with 3 quick shots
G36 (12/30)

This message was last edited by the player at 15:23, Mon 02 Feb 2009.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 448 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 19:39
Re: Making a Break
Mariusz reported his position and added, "I'm pinned down by enemy fire and blinded by smoke, if I move anywhere but directly back I'm dead. Dawid is wounded and I've sent him back to the trike. Once he's there I'll retreat to him and we'll be mobile again. Unless you have other orders, Sir."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 357 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 19:42
Re: Making a Break
Griet shook her head at Anneka's reply. If the ambush was still going on, their side was in trouble, any other assesment was folly. The weight of fire was obviously on the other side and that would eventually shred them. A radical solution was needed, rolling the dice was all they could hope for and throwing a wounded man and three exhausted non-combatants into the fray didn't seem to be the answer to Griet.

Still, the Major was giving the orders, she'd thrown out every suggestion Griet had made, all she could do now was play out the hand.

"What next then, Sir?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1124 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 21:42
Re: Making a Break
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #399):

Dawid stopped what he was doing to answer Konrad.

"Konrad, this is Dawid. Please note I have a radio, so you may feel free to address me directly. We got ambushed before we could get into position and I'm wounded, so we're withdrawing."

He was annoyed, not by Korad but mostly by getting bushwhacked and the growing throbbing in his leg.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:01, Mon 02 Feb 2009.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1133 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 3 Feb 2009
at 02:35
Breaking Away

Tarpan-Honker

Tucker [NPC'ed] slumps into the bed of the Tarpan-Honker, blood pulsing out of his wounded bicep. Jan takes over the AGS and sends a barrage of grenades into the green smoke. Heedless of the dim hope of resupply, he sweeps the AGS back and forth, spraying the 180 degree arc to his front with dozens of 30mm HE. He's firing blind, counting on quantity rather than quality to decide the fight.

Mariusz, meanwhile, expends another 30-round magazine as he does likewise. 5.45mm rounds flash downrange, tearing little eddies through the thick green curtain wall. Enemy fire dies down as the enemy squad burrow into the ground and/or hug nearby trees for cover. Raw firepower, as opposed to precision fire, has provided the team with a chance to break contact.

Dawid makes it back to the trike, defying the odds by covering the last several meters more or less upright.

Ambush Team

The ambush team leapfrogs to the northwest by pairs, Minh and Ondar rushing ahead while Konrad and Stoner provide cover fire and vice-versa. They pass within a few meters of the far right (their left, or west) of the enemy's line, strewn with a crooked row of dead and dying Polish infantrymen. One foolhardy soul raises his rifle at the passing pair and Konrad pauses long enough to kill him with a short burst of fire delivered at near point-blank range.

Bullets from the east continue to search for the fleeing ambush team, finding only the trees and the tracks they've left behind them. The team realizes that it is only a matter of time before at least a dozen enemy infantrymen, no longer dissuaded by Stoner's suppressive fire, assault across the road into their freshly vacated positions. With this in mind, Milk's lifeless body is left where it fell, the badly bloodied enemy's only measure of solace.

Rescue Team

Sam, Anneka, Griet, and Walter arrive on scene to find both Tucker and Dawid wounded. A golden opportunity to pull back has presented itself and they all know it may not come around a second time.

Gun-Truck

Jason, his leg aching fiercely, tries his best to wait patiently as the sounds of the battle ebb and flow in their sonic fury.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:55, Tue 03 Feb 2009.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 960 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Tue 3 Feb 2009
at 04:36
Re: Breaking Away
Breathing heavily and barely able to stay upright, Anneka nevertheless knew it was her responsibilty to give guidance to those under her comand.
"Take up defensive positions," she panted, leaning heavily on the vehicle and trying to catch her breath.
"We'll try and get the ambush group to join us here and then drive out."
A few more snatched lungfulls of air and she felt, just, able to move again. Slipping a little on blood, she entered the T-H to treat Tuckers obvious wound to his arm.

Using Tuckers Personal medikit

This message was last edited by the player at 01:09, Wed 04 Feb 2009.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 358 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 3 Feb 2009
at 08:08
Re: Breaking Away
"Aye, aye, Sir." Griet replied and moved into cover, ready to provide support to anyone coming down the road.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 449 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 3 Feb 2009
at 08:08
Re: Breaking Away
Once Dawid was at the trike, Mariusz began to crawl back toward him.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 569 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 3 Feb 2009
at 14:35
Re: Breaking Away
Cap'n Rae:
Tarpan-Honker

Tucker [NPC'ed] slumps into the bed of the Tarpan-Honker, blood pulsing out of his wounded bicep. Jan takes over the AGS and sends a barrage of grenades into the green smoke. Heedless of the dim hope of resupply, he sweeps the AGS back and forth, spraying the 180 degree arc to his front with dozens of 30mm HE. He's firing blind, counting on quantity rather than quality to decide the fight.
Actions?
As tucker is hit and slumps back into the bed of the T-H he's stunned from the impact of the round hitting him (explains and apologizes for my not posting last round) and he hears Jan call out to him and watches as he jumps over him to man the grenade launcher.  He tries to sit up and steady himself as he reaches for the radio to call Konrad.  "S-Sunray, Knife.  We need to di-di n-now!   Don't, don't know how much longer we c-can cover your move.  You copy?"

Within a few short minutes (or minute) Tucker knows that this hit to his other arm is more serious than the graze he just received before they turned around to go back and cover for Konrad and the rest of the ambush team.  He looks up to see Anneka standing over him and he gives her a little smile/grin, "What tha fuck took you guys s-so long?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 891 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 3 Feb 2009
at 15:32
Re: Making a Break
Bayer raced through the forest, occasionally stopping to ensure the four in his group are not being closely pursued. He also kept at the rear as Stoner needed to be watched, he was still a casualty and was also lugging the GPMG.

Shouting forward he alerts Quyen and Ondar in the lead, "Keep going... right back to the vehicles."

His radio crackles to life with Mariusz and Dawid's voices...

Mariusz Tokarski:
"I'm pinned down by enemy fire and blinded by smoke, if I move anywhere but directly back I'm dead. Dawid is wounded and I've sent him back to the trike. Once he's there I'll retreat to him and we'll be mobile again. Unless you have other orders, Sir."


Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Konrad, this is Dawid. Please note I have a radio, so you may feel free to address me directly. We got ambushed before we could get into position and I'm wounded, so we're withdrawing."


"Sunray roger. Am withdrawing under pressure. RV at the vehicles." he says between heavy breaths.

Then Robert's voice came over the net.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
<Green>"S-Sunray, Knife.  We need to di-di n-now!   Don't, don't know how much longer we c-can cover your move.  You copy?"</Green


"Copy. Don't worry about us. Get back to the group."

Again he stopped and looked back, scanning with his rifle ready for any pursuers.

-Intended future action - deploy Ondar and Quyen (Bayer doesn't know she's wounded) as outer perimeter as everyone gets sorted out and loaded aboard. Once the vehicles can move he'll signal them in and be the last to board once he's sure a head count covers everyone.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 570 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 3 Feb 2009
at 22:11
Re: Making a Break
Konrad Bayer:
Then Robert's voice came over the net.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
"S-Sunray, Knife.  We need to di-di n-now!   Don't, don't know how much longer we c-can cover your move.  You copy?"


"Copy. Don't worry about us. Get back to the group."
Tucker keys the radio again and replies, "Knife c-copies and that's a n-negative Sunray.  We wait f-for you.  D-Don't keep us waitin' too long.  Knife out."  Turner turns to Jan next, "J-Jan!  Keep up the fire!  They're c-comin',"

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:40, Tue 03 Feb 2009.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 276 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 4 Feb 2009
at 04:21
Re: Making a Break
Dave carries the machinegune during the bound portion of the evolution and firing his AK during the covering portion.

During one of the short mad dashes to cover he yells at Konrad "Run away, run away! Ahh well, beats being preforated!"

If they make it back to the rest of the group, he'll assist in treating the wounded, or providing firepowre as needed.
Sam McCoy
 player, 192 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Thu 5 Feb 2009
at 00:53
Re: Making a Break
Sam will post up on the left side of the road behind a long coving the enemys approach. he will fire at targets of oppertunity.




sam
m25
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1138 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 00:22
Kilroy Was Here

The ambush team continues towards the northwest, now dispensing with the bounding overwatch, all four running at once. Ondar badly wanted to return for Milk's body, but the sound of a truck approaching from the south, along with an exploding barrage of Polish rifle grenades from the east, convinces him that discretion truly is the better part of valor. Somehow, the grizzled Tuvan warrior knows his African-American counterpart would have wanted the rest of the team to escape, rather than risk death or capture to recover the empty husk of his now lifeless corpse. Spurred on by the buzz of bullets passing low overhead, the group makes their best speed; a few hundred meters away from the battle site, Konrad leads the ambush team back towards the road.

The Tarpan-Honker is waiting for them. Mariusz, exhausted but unwounded, is at the wheel. Jan, wide-eyed, covers the rear with the AGS-17. Anneka is treating Tucker's badly wounded arm on the floor at the bottom of the truck bed beside Jan while Griet tries to stay alert in the passenger seat. The ambush team piles aboard the Polish jeep, making room where they can, and the group heads north up the road.

They arrive at the STAR a few minutes behind Dawid (driver) and Sam (passenger), who'd forged on ahead aboard the Ural trike. The reunited team takes a few minutes to reorganize and then, with the trike on point, the jeep in the center, and the gun-truck following up at the rear, they head out north on the dirt road.

The road leaves the trees and emerges into an open pasture, curving slowly east towards the main north-south road between Kozienice and Gora Kalwaria. There are a few seconds of marked alarm as the group spots a lone BTR on the highway, a few hundred meters ahead. In the growing light of morning, they quickly realize that the BTR is a derelict, soot-stained and streaked with rust, its tires burned away to expose naked, mishapen rims sunken into the soft earth of the road's eastern shoulder.

The second thing that catches the group's attention is a small, badly shot-up building set near the intersection of the dirt road and the paved highway. The party can see the rising sun shining through the myriad, jagged holes through its concrete walls. It looks like it used to be some kind of pre-war traffic checkpoint or ranger station, tasked, most likely, with keeping wayward civilian traffic off of the forest access road the party has been travelling -and fighting- on for the past couple of hours.

A small team dismounts a few hundred meters from the guardhouse/BTR to clear the area before the vehicles proceed past and onto the highway. The clearing team comes upon a large, hand-painted sign just south of the small, empty building. It faces south and reads (in Polish),

Warning! Now leaving government-controlled area. Proceed at your own risk.

The sign is embellished with a couple-dozen bullet holes and a crude graffiti of a cartoon man peeking over a ledge at the viewer with "Gdzie jest Józef Tkaczuk?" scrawled beside it. Even smaller, in permanent marker, someone has added, in English,

Good luck. You're on your own.

Looking south, down the highway, towards Kozienice, the group can see the distant, twisted spires of the badly damaged power plant, portruding above the trees.

Everyone in the group- at least though not too distracted by the pain of their wounds- feels as though they are being watched from the trees near where the highway emerges into the open field. Through binoculars, one can see a low earthen fortification flanking the road, about 700m distant. Movement among the mounds suggests that it is occupied. Not pausing to study it any longer, the convoy pulls onto the highway and begins travelling north, towards the town of Gora Kalwaria, a renowned pilgramage site and the largest settlement on the Vistula between Kozeniece and Warsaw.

They leave not a moment too soon, as a mortar round explodes not far from the lonely checkpoint building behind them.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:40, Fri 06 Feb 2009.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 965 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 00:34
Re: Kilroy Was Here
Utterly drained, it was all Anneka could do to keep her eyes open as she focused on treating the wounded in the back of the bumpy T-H. For now all she could really do though was apply bandages, hand out painkillers and provide antibiotics. Anything more demanding, like removing the bullet from Jason's wound, would have to wait until they'd found someplace to stop and sleep most of the day.
"Don't forget to reload mags," she said, fatigue causing her words to slur. The reminder was probably unnecessary though since nearly all in the vehicle with her were combat veterans.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1127 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 01:58
Re: Kilroy Was Here
Dawid couldn't pretend he had much left to give. They made it out of the latest tight spot, and he was thankful for the tenacity and resourcefulness of his comrades that allowed them all to overcome all adversity.

Still, Milk had paid the price, his body left behind to be recovered by the government forces.

Dawid tried to keep the unwanted hilarity out of his voice, a normal reaction to his after combat. "Lovely day for a ride, eh?" His hands started to shake from the draining away of adrenaline and he gripped the handlebars harder. Not just combat, but the injury to his rapidly-stiffening leg. Luckily, on a motorcycle you only need your right leg for the rear brake, which was always far less used for braking than the front.
Minh Quyen
 player, 354 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 13:36
Re: Kilroy Was Here
Quyen stows the RPG and sees to the injured. She helps them aboard and ensures they'll be as comfortable as possible for the road move. Passing Bayer she says offhandedly, "Got a pretty loyal and trustworthy NCO there." - in reference to Tucker insisting on staying put and quite possibly saving them. True as well, was that her confidence in the rest of the team pulling together at the crucial times had returned.

She didn't allow herself to think about Milk.

"Where do you need me?" she asks. "Back in the honker?" With the wounded, she figured she might be needed to handle one of the other jobs.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 573 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 16:42
Re: Kilroy Was Here
Cap'n Rae:
The Tarpan-Honker is waiting for them. Mariusz, exhausted but unwounded, is at the wheel. Jan, wide-eyed, covers the rear with the AGS-17. Anneka is treating Tucker's badly wounded arm on the floor at the bottom of the truck bed beside Jan while Griet tries to stay alert in the passenger seat. The ambush team piles aboard the Polish jeep, making room where they can, and the group heads north up the road.

Everyone in the group- at least though not too distracted by the pain of their wounds- feels as though they are being watched from the trees near where the highway emerges into the open field. Through binoculars, one can see a low earthen fortification flanking the road, about 700m distant. Movement among the mounds suggests that it is occupied. Not pausing to study it any longer, the convoy pulls onto the highway and begins travelling north, towards the town of Gora Kalwaria, a renowned pilgramage site and the largest settlement on the Vistula between Kozeniece and Warsaw.

They leave not a moment too soon, as a mortar round explodes not far from the lonely checkpoint building behind them.

Actions?

Tucker lets the weight of his body rest where he is sitting while Anneka tends to his wounded arm.  He feels the build-up of adrenaline starting to leave his body, probably with the blood loss too, and he starts to feel the ache of the wound start to come over him.  He looks up at Anneka, "How bad is it Major?  You get everybody back OK?"

When the rest of the wounded and ambush team are back and loaded into the vehicles, Robert tries to sit up and lend a hand where and if he can (or rather, if he's allowed).  He hears the mortar round explode and thinks that they haven't escaped their pursuers just yet.  he knows that with the wound to his arm, his M-16 is going to be too heavy to bear and weild properly so he reaches down into his MOLLE grenadiers vest and retrieves his Browning HP and lets it rest on his leg while the vehicles go into evasive manuevers to escape the shelling.

Tucker
Browning HP (in hand)
Sitting/leaning in T-H
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 360 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 18:19
Re: Kilroy Was Here
Griet wedged herself into a seat and retrieved and checked her gear. She looked around at the collection of wounds the team had collected. She spoke softly to Anneka, "Is there any way I can help, Major?"
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 450 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 18:24
Re: Kilroy Was Here
Ha, this was new, Mariusz thought to himself, the excitement of driving filling him with adrenaline and keeping him awake. The gears of the Honker clashed again and he missed using the clutch properly. His face nearly connected with the wheel as his foot slipped between the accelerator and brake.

The vehicle hopped, almost as if it was surprised by the mortar round that crashed behind it and Mariusz finally found second at the same time as his foot engaged the clutch. The engine stopped whining and the truck moved more smoothly along the scarred road.

Mariusz looked back happily, "It's OK, I'm getting it. How fast can you make one of these things go?"

The vehicle lurched into a pothole and Mariusz swerved across the road as he overcompensated with the wheel, "It's OK," he said again, crunching into third.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 277 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 23:13
Re: Kilroy Was Here
Back at the vehicles Dave shift from shooter to corpsman role, first wrapping a quick bandage around his calf, then helping whoever needs it.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1142 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 7 Feb 2009
at 18:35
Asleep At The Wheel

October 12, 2000
0800hrs.
42F
party cloudy; light wind
Approx. 30km north of Kozienice


Filty, hungry, exhausted- many bloodied- the party rolls north towards Gora Kalwaria, leaving the horrors of the Kolzienice forest behind.

Open, overgrown fields flank the highway on either side. The landscape is empty, primordial almost, without sign of human life. There are, however, periodic signs of human death. About five kilometers north of Kolzienice, the convoy passes a small, red sedan sitting at the side of the road, its bonnet open, completely stripped of every usable component. A moldering corpse stretches out stiffly in the weeds a few meters away from the wreck. Several kilometers further on, they drive by a pair of badly decomposing horses, still in harness, but there is no sign of a wagon.

About 25km north of Kolzeniece, the highway crosses a small river. The short bridge appears undamaged and the convoy rolls across without incident. A lone, waterlogged corpse lies twisted in the reeds below.

A half-an-hour later, a few low buildings appear to the northeast and the convoy slows. Through binoculars, the party sees that all of the visible buildings have been blackened by fire. Most of them appear to be little more than cracked, empty shells. From a distance, at least, the party sees nothing there to suggest human inhabitance or occupation. Several hundred meters to the west, a pack of wolves or wild dogs seems to shadow the party. Jason, watching the convoys lengthening back trail, has seen no sign of enemy pursuit since leaving the woods around Kolzienice.

A few kilometers to the north, the highway enters another wooded area. Thick clouds form a thick grey wall above the line of dark trees. It looks like another unpleasant weather front is sweeping south from the Baltic Sea.

According to the party's maps, Gora Kalwaria is still lies about 15-20km in that direction. The town is of interest because of its two bridges over the Vistula. The likelihood that they are still standing is pretty remote but, without boats, the potential crossing must at least be investigated.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:48, Sat 07 Feb 2009.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1128 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 7 Feb 2009
at 22:54
Re: Asleep At The Wheel
Dawid stopped the bike and motioned for Mariusz to drive the Honker up beside him.

"That was a magnificent job you did back there."

"Now, let's find some place in those woods to hole up and treat our wounds, get some rest before tackling the town. If I were a bandit, and it looks like there are some about, I would be hiding somewhere in town."



He sighed, drank a swig of water and lit a cigarette. His leg was a complete throbbing mass.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:16, Sat 07 Feb 2009.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 278 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 8 Feb 2009
at 00:20
Re: Asleep At The Wheel
Dave looks over at Konrad and says "Hey Captain, we ought to find a place to hole up for a day or three. Give us chance to heal up and recuperate."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1131 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 8 Feb 2009
at 23:05
Re: Asleep At The Wheel
In reply to Dave 'Bones' Stoner (msg #422):

Dawid looked over at Bayer, "Konrad! It is great to see you again! Minh, Ondar, as well. All should give thanks to Mariusz's bravery, I should like to emphasise."

He was personally quite glad to be alive if wounded. He felt sorrow that Clarence didn't make it, but didn't feel this was the proper time to grieve.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:08, Sun 08 Feb 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 894 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 9 Feb 2009
at 14:04
Re: Asleep At The Wheel
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
Dave looks over at Konrad and says "Hey Captain, we ought to find a place to hole up for a day or three. Give us chance to heal up and recuperate."


"Ja. Very much so." he replies groggily, lacking emotion. "One close by. We dispatch a recce patrol during the night... recce Gora Kalwaria."

When the damaged buildings come into view he musters the energy to view them through his binoculars. Could be occupied, he thought, by anyone really. He glanced down at his map. They'd be facing the same situation every few hundred meters, but at least these buildings were in rough shape.

Into the radio he says, "Drivers... reference village, close in. Advance on nearest structure and halt 200 meters out. Then dismount and form a tight perimeter. Support weapons facing 12 o'clock towards village." Memories flushed into his mind of the same old routine... only with Marders and not a pair of battered trucks.

"Motorcycle... continue advance onto position. Dismount, scout, and report."

This message was last edited by the player at 14:05, Mon 09 Feb 2009.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1134 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 9 Feb 2009
at 21:52
Re: Asleep At The Wheel
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #424):

Dawid laughed, taking a drag on his cigarette while resting his hands on the handlebars.

"Konrad my friend! Looking for another fight? So soon! You're insatiable, out of control!"

"Most likely we shall find some more Poles to kill in the town, bandits, and no doubt they have it coming."

"We are in splendid shape for such an enterprise. We'll easily kill them all, leave a trail of bodies from here to Warszawa and beyond! Poland will be pacified when we're done, never fear. We can rest when we're dead!"


He continued chuckling, shaking his head while chambering a round in his Tantal.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:55, Mon 09 Feb 2009.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 973 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Mon 9 Feb 2009
at 23:15
Re: Asleep At The Wheel
"Jason, Dawid, Tucker, Stoner, Jan and Sam are too injured and need to stay back," Anneka advised Konrad with eyes drooping.
"Griet and myself too I think."
Which left only Ondar, Konrad, Mariusz and Minh even vaguely fit for scouting, not including Adam and Walter. The situation was getting desperate, Griet was drifting in and out of consciousness (not unlike herself) and a full half of their number either could not walk or only had one good arm. Shelter was needed, and needed now.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 574 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 10 Feb 2009
at 00:10
Re: Asleep At The Wheel
Cap'n Rae:
October 12, 2000
0800hrs.
42F
party cloudy; light wind
Approx. 30km north of Kozienice


Filty, hungry, exhausted- many bloodied- the party rolls north towards Gora Kalwaria, leaving the horrors of the Kolzienice forest behind.

Actions?
Tucker remains sitting in the T-H with his pistol in hand and resting on his right leg.  He tries to fight back the burning pain in his arm and he knows that he's probably still got a bullet in his arm.  He knows that Anneka's going to have to rip it out at some point pretty soon when they get a chance to stop and rest properly.  Robert tries to fight back the fatigue and the pain as they move towards the town of Gora Kalwaria.  "I might not be able to recce anything but I can still stand a watch if needed," Tucker says to anyone who may be listening.

Tucker
Browning HP (in hand/safety on)
Riding in back of T-H
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1146 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 10 Feb 2009
at 02:31
Funky Town

Considering the collective state of the party and the approaching weather system, Konrad and Anneka make the difficult decision to scout out the seemingly abandoned town, despite Dawid's quite understandable (if somewhat sarcastic) objections. Dawid is paticularly spent after riding nearly thirty kilometers on the URAL motorcyle with a through-and-through in the back of his thigh. Despite a hastily applied bandage, his trousers are soaked with blood and he's feeling alarmingly light-headed.

The convoy proceeds north for a couple of kilometers before arriving at a turn-off. The exit sign that one would normally expect to find in such a place is nowhere to be seen. Instead, they find a lone rubber boot, set upright with its toe pointing roughly towards the highway. Alarmingly, what appears to be a shattered human femur portrudes from the open top of the boot. Too cold and tired to ponder whether the macabre little landmark holds any meaning, the convoy pulls off of the highway and begins heading east towards the village on the badly cracked and potholed, two-lane road branching which, at this spot, branches off of the highway.

As they roll closer to the village, they see a thin line of white smoke rising into the leaden sky from somewhere behind the nearest line of structures. The smoke is quickly carried away by the wind, which has picked up in the last few minutes. The temperature seems to have dropped a few degrees during that time, as well. The convoy halts about 750 meters from the village and a small recon team (Konrad, Ondar, Mariusz, and Minh) proceeds the rest of the way towards the broken buildings at the edge of the settlement.

They cautiously enter the first building, some kind of modest municipal building- maybe a post office- and clear it. It is empty save for some cheap, rusting metal furniture and soggy, burnt papers which litter almost every square foot of the floor. Water stains and dark splotches of mold cover the walls not charred by fire. The building appears to have been completely abandoned for many months, if not years. Proceeding carefully to the east side of the building, the team surveys the rest of the village through empty windows.

The source of the smoke comes into view: a large two story brick house- the tallest in the village- with a partially collapsed roof through which a few last whisps of smoke emerges. Four, maybe five shabbily clad men, each carrying a rifle and a pack of some sort, exit the building through a hole in its north wall and, looking nervously west, take off running in the opposite direction. They appear to be abandoning their shelter with the utmost of haste. Perhaps they've been spooked by the convoy?

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:35, Tue 10 Feb 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 895 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 10 Feb 2009
at 05:41
Re: Funky Town
Bayer toggles his radio, "Any call sign, Sunray. Village is inhabi... err, occupied. Five armed men, maybe more... departing to east. Is anything sighted to the west of the village, over?" As he speaks (quietly), he motions to Quyen to take look in that direction. As he waits for a response over the radio, Bayer then motions for Ondar to move into a position where he can observe/cover the men.

"Mariusz... watch the house." he whispers. Then he adds, "Well then. What do you think?"

He'll then look at Quyen and Ondar for anything they may have to report.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:44, Tue 10 Feb 2009.

Minh Quyen
 player, 355 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 10 Feb 2009
at 06:16
Re: Funky Town
Quyen was happy to go along, at least as much of her body would allow. Especially if could hasten the opportunity for the group to stop and rest up. To her, any village or hamlet was a potential threat, but as time was not on their side, she was motivated to make this one "theirs".

Inside the municipal building, Quyen stands with her back to the wall. She gently kicks aside some of the papers and assorted trash to get a better look at it. Maybe good to get a fire going, she mused.

She waited patiently as the rest of her scouting party observed the men. Then on the Hauptmann's signal she stalks over to a vantage point overlooking the West (if there is one). Keeping to the shadows she scans the area looking for movement, vehicles, people - anything.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:18, Tue 10 Feb 2009.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1135 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 10 Feb 2009
at 08:59
Re: Funky Town
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #429):

Following the trucks, Dawid drove the motorcycle into the perimeter of the village. Stopping, he dismounted as instructed. He fell down as his legs promptly gave out after so long on the bike and his injuries.

Weakly laughing, he looked up at the sky, then rolled over and grabbed his Tantal, bringing it to bear.

"Ha ha... My legs appear to be non-functional at this time. My apologies. Sam, you may continue to man the machinegun, if you please."

This message was last edited by the player at 11:32, Tue 10 Feb 2009.

Sam McCoy
 player, 193 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Wed 11 Feb 2009
at 00:56
Re: Funky Town
Sam will cover the others and take up security.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:02, Wed 11 Feb 2009.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 281 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 11 Feb 2009
at 01:58
Re: Funky Town
Dave is going to use the break in all the activity to check the bandaging and wounds of the people still at the T-H. And reload the M240.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 982 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Wed 11 Feb 2009
at 04:35
Re: Funky Town
"Go check on Dawid," Anneka muttered sleepily to Stoner, wishing he'd bring her a pillow and somewhere soft to lay down.
"I've done this lot."
Alexei Ondar
 player, 102 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Wed 11 Feb 2009
at 07:46
Re: Funky Town
Ondar quietly exited the burned-out municipal structure and began to circle around to the south before moving east.  Laden with freshly topped-off magazines and a replenished complement of two fragmentation grenades, he moved in the shadows of the dim and bleak autumn dawn, seeking high ground from which to observe the departure of the previous occupants.  Cold and tired, with several bruised ribs and a superfical wound to his right bicep, the sharpshooter had fallen into an exceptionally foul mood since abandoning the American warrant officer during the earlier aborted ambush.  He wasn't sure if the pit in his stomach was hunger or guilt.

The wind, though light, stung against his exposed skin.  He had donned a rain parka before exiting the Honker because - even in the relative warmth of his Soviet winter issue VDV fatigues - abused and poorly healed joints screamed in riotous objection to the sudden decrease in barometric pressure that heralded the approaching cold front.  The ragged Tuvan did not need a meteorolgist to know a storm was coming.  Otherwise bleary-eyed and drooling with a need for sleep, the pain kept him alert and focused.  Careful to remain concealed in the veil of morning gloom, Ondar peers around the corner with his rifle shouldered.  He quickly surveys the terrain to the east and signals back to the Hauptmann his findings.



[Ondar]
South of post office
SVU-AS (10/10)
Reconnoitering.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1150 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 13 Feb 2009
at 01:56
The Fixer-Upper

Konrad decides that the village, despite its descrepid condition and the very recent presence of what looked certain to be at least a small band of marauders, is as good a place as any in the area to stop and rest up. He calls forward the vehicle crews and, as soon as the convoy is parked in front of the municipal building, he leads the scouting team forward towards the two-story, brick building recently vacated by the village's most recent occupants.

The team quickly crosses the open space between the building and, stacking up against the north-facing exterior wall, prepares to enter, clear, and secure the building. The smell of urine is strong here. Apparently the former residents didn't stray too far from their shelter when nature called. At Konrad's signal, the team moves through the ragged hole in the wall serving as the home's main entrance (the front door is burried behind rubble from the badly damaged upper story).

The interior is a mess. It has more than just a lived-in vibe. Adding to the extensive fire and water damage, there is refuse scattered all about. Cigarette butts, small animal bones, empty food tins, broken bottles, pieces of clothing, some of it bloodstained. From the looks of it, the house has been occupied by several rather slovenly men for at least a couple of weeks. They've left behind nothing worth coming back for.

The team exits through the same hole and wave the all clear to those waiting at the vehicles. Looking east, down the village's main road, there appear to be few other buildings worth investigating. Besides, the party no longer has the manpower to properly clear the remainder of the village. The municipal building, with one or two interior rooms, appears to provide just enough in the way of shelter, while it's various windows (and not a pane of glass between them) offer vantage points to observe each of the cardinal directions including, most importantly, the road running west back to the highway.

Leaving the vehicles parked outside (with the STAR gun-truck's "pointy end" facing west), the party consolidates within the municipal building and begins making camp.

Actions?
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 987 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Fri 13 Feb 2009
at 02:18
Re: The Fixer-Upper
A few snatched minutes dozing in the T-H was barely enough to restore her strength to the point she could drag herself and her pack inside.
Finding a relativley debris free corner, she shook off her boots and crawled inside her sleeping bag. Within moments she was fast asleep - unloading stores, setting up weapons, arranging sentry positions and schedules would need to be done by those less exhausted.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:18, Fri 13 Feb 2009.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 576 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 13 Feb 2009
at 21:53
Re: The Fixer-Upper
Robert feels the vehicle stop just as he was getting ready to pass out or fall asleep from the fatigue that was making his body ache (the bullet in his arm isn't helping much either).  He tries to pull himself up and gather what he can carry in his good hand as he holsters his Browning pistol back in his MOLLE vest.  He looks around and says, "Mom!  We're home!"

Tucker will find a place to sit and pass out.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1141 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 13 Feb 2009
at 22:07
Re: The Fixer-Upper
Dawid lay there, waiting for some kind of medical attention, but not too surprised at the situation. After all, there were others who were clearly of higher priority than he.

As he lay there on the cold ground he mused to Sam, himself, or no one, "ha... looks like the village is deserted after all. I was mistaken! It is not so bad to fear things could get worse."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:21, Fri 13 Feb 2009.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 577 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 13 Feb 2009
at 23:30
Re: The Fixer-Upper
Robert looks around the room as he tries to settle in and asks around, "Hey!  Where's Milk at?"
'Old' Adam Rataj
 NPC, 67 posts
 Polish (NPC)
 Captain of the Queen
Fri 13 Feb 2009
at 23:37
Re: The Fixer-Upper

Adam approaches Konrad and addresses the Hauptman,

"Mr. Bayer, Walter and I can take first watch. You and your people are... clearly in need of rest. Anything we can do."

Echoing Tucker's inquiry, he adds,

"Yes, where is Mr. Milk?"

Deep lines of concern are etched on his weathered face.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 283 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 14 Feb 2009
at 02:20
Re: The Fixer-Upper
Dave wearily makes his rounds, checking on his companions. When he gets to Dawid, he looks down at him and says "What are you doing down there? You should have hollered at me or Anneka." He plops down beside the wounded Pole and treats the wound, barely concious of the actions but having done it so, so many times it's an action that doesn't need much thought.

After that, Dave finds himself a corner and stretches out himself.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 104 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Sat 14 Feb 2009
at 06:47
Re: The Fixer-Upper
In silent response to Tucker and the tug captain's inquiry regarding Milk's whereabouts, Ondar merely closes his eyes and shakes his head on his way past them.  He braces himself against the chill and moves out to make another lap around the perimeter before allowing himself any rest.  On his return, he approaches Bayer.

"Maybe while Major is sleep," the paratrooper nods in Anneka's direction and thumbs the empty holster attached to his web gear, "you take opportunity return pistol?"

He then sits in a corner and tends to his shoulder.  It was superficial, but all wounds still needed a thorough inspection and cleaning.  Upon completion, he unrolled his sleeping bag, took off his boots and crawled inside.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 900 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 14 Feb 2009
at 06:59
Re: The Fixer-Upper
'Old' Adam Rataj:
Adam approaches Konrad and addresses the Hauptman,

"Mr. Bayer, Walter and I can take first watch. You and your people are... clearly in need of rest. Anything we can do."

"Yes, where is Mr. Milk?"


Bayer nods, and but doesn't say anything for a few moments. He drops his gear, sits on it and leans his back against the wall. He looks around, most of the team were already dropping into unconsciousness.

Looking up at Adam he answers his second question first. Quietly, but loud enough for the others to hear, he says, "He didn't make it back with us. It was quick. No pain."

Bayer's eyes lower to his sleeping comrades. Then he adds, "Alright. If you want to pitch in, it will be appreciated by all. You and Quyen take first watch please. Then Walter and Mariusz. I'll take the last shift with Ondar. Four hours per shift... I know it's long, but it'll give a longer uninterrupted sleep, and I think that's what we need the most at this point. So, a minimum 8 hours of sleep for us, and 12 for the wounded."

0900-1300 Adam/Quyen
1300-1700 Walter/Mariusz
1700-2100 Bayer/Ondar


Bayer didn't want to hurt Adam's feelings, so he kept quiet about Adam and Walter on sentry. He didn't want to stick both of the civilians together on a shift at the same time. If something happened, he wanted one of the team to be present.

"After the 12 hours, we'll reevaluate our options... stay a little longer or get moving. If we stay, some of the wounded can pick up a sentry shift. Regardless of our decision however, before we hit the bridges at the crossing, I want to detail a patrol to go ahead. To recce the route and the bridge itself... two men."

Rising, he collects his rifle, but leaves his helmet, body armor and gear where he had stacked it. "Ondar, I need ten minutes of your time before you fall asleep. Lets inspect the other buildings."

If Ondar is still capable, his intention is to learn about the rest of the small community... at the least, the adjacent buildings. Although they'll be checking mostly for signs of life, Bayer will be taking note of the layout of the ground (for defensive battle preparation... which buildings offered what protection, dead ground, hidden avenues of approach, etc).

"Quyen, as you are first... see if you can move the vehicles into a better position. Hidden if possible, but more importantly they should be protected from fire. Choose a good sentry position, concealed and in view of both the vehicles and approach routes."

Looking around at those still conscious, he asks, "OK?"

EDIT - I wrote my post while Ondar posted his.

Bayer nods at the Ondar. "Ja... alright. Go ahead. Just be careful not to spook any of the team. They are still wary of another threat from within." He doesn't elaborate, but hopes Ondar gets the point.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:04, Sat 14 Feb 2009.

Minh Quyen
 player, 356 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 14 Feb 2009
at 11:16
Re: The Fixer-Upper
Quyen acknowledges her orders - "Yes sir."

Looking at Adam she says - "Mr. Adam, an extra set of eyes for me please?"

Leading the way, Quyen exits the shelter and back out into the wind. She's begun to seriously regret trading away much of her winter clothing a few months ago. She'd never thought she'd still be in Poland to be honest.

"Cover me, I'll move the trucks." she says. Using what little energy she had she trots around the back of their building, sizing everything up and searching for a suitable place to stash the convoy from prying eyes or at least from any gunfire. Her quick, energetic movements mostly to help keep her warm.

Once she's scouted a spot, she climbs into each truck and maneuvers them into their holding positions. To help save on every drop of fuel, she simply pushes the motorbike rather than use its own power.

"We have camo nets?" she calls over to Adam? If so, she'll utilize them.

Once everything is done, she guide Adam over to a good spot for their sentry duty. "Here. Out of the wind, its got protection if we need to fight from it, and can see up these two roads... including the vehicles." She leans against the decaying wall. Widening her eyes, she fights the temptation to close them... even just for a second.

"Every couple minutes, I'm going to check around on the other side. The areas out of view. You can just hang out here ok? It's no problem."

This message was last edited by the player at 11:17, Sat 14 Feb 2009.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 361 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 14 Feb 2009
at 18:53
Re: The Fixer-Upper
Griet looked around, weary and bone tired with her eyelids drooping and her throat hoarse. She found a fairly comfortable spot to lie down and curled up into a deep, dreamless sleep.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 452 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 14 Feb 2009
at 18:58
Re: The Fixer-Upper
Mariusz waited for all the arrangements to be made before repliying to the Captain, "Sir, if I was in command of a partisan group and we were in this situation, I'd get them to disperse back to their homes and call it a day. You don't have that luxury. People need rest and we need it now. I agree with what you're doing entirely. We'll hole up here, get people rested and then reassess. Have a good rest, Sir, I'll keep alert."

He found a position to sleep once everything was settled and then cast his eyes around the house, trying to guess where any surprises might come. He touched his charms, hoping to God that they didn't come.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1142 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 14 Feb 2009
at 22:24
Re: The Fixer-Upper
In reply to Dave 'Bones' Stoner (msg #442):

Dawid winced as Bones cut away his trouser leg, stiff with dried blood. His leg was also stiff, and he hoped there wasn't other problems like gangrene. He could always put on spare trousers, he had no spare leg.

"Many thanks, my friend! I splashed some vodka on it, but that didn't seem to cure it. I shall lie back and relax while you work."


He sighed and lay back, composing his face to be expressionless while gritting his teeth against the pain.

"We should set up the damn mortar. Tomorrow, perhaps."
Sam McCoy
 player, 194 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 15 Feb 2009
at 00:27
Re: The Fixer-Upper
Sam will slump down and then sleep.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1152 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 15 Feb 2009
at 01:57
One Hump Or Two

October 12, 2000
1400hrs.
35F
Heavy clouds; freezing rain
Approx. 30km south of Gora Kalwaria


In the dark and rush and the fury of the past 24 hours, it had been hard to see. Now, in the dull, dimly lit, almost bare interior of the government building- the only one alloted to such a small settlement- the party's pathetic visage was on stark display. Torn clothing, dark with stained blood, crusted with sweat-salt, some of it still caked with dried raw sewage from the previous night's canal crawl, adorned their slumping forms. The men all sported at least a day's worth of whiskers and everyone had dark, swollen bags under bloodshot eyes. They were beyond exhausted. They were worn out.

The first four-hour watch period passed without event. Konrad and Ondar toured the surrounding area. The municipal building was set apart- 150m or so- from the rest of the village buildings, like some sort of unwelcome newcomer. The nearest buildings- including the former maruader nest- were all badly damaged by fire. Even the trees lining the main road were withered and burned. There were no vehicles on the road. It was an old village, the dated masonry suggesting that the village had at least a centenary celebration under its belt. It was bereft of life, during their brief circuit, the visitors seeing not so much as a rat. Meanwhile, Minh moves the vehicles to the east side of the municipal building. The wind grew steadily stronger, draughts of cold air whistled through the building, chilling those not burried under blankets or in sleeping bags.

Mariusz and Walter took over the second watch. It began to rain, a light, icy cold rain, which soon turned to sleet. Water leaked through various cracks in the ceiling but there was still plenty of dry spots on the floor for the sleepers. The patter of the freezing rain on the roof seemed unaturally loud in the empty interior of the building. With the temperature inside and out hovering around freezing, fire would soon be an absolute necesity.

A shout cut through the white noise of the falling rain. Walter runs into the main interior room where most of the party is resting.

"Men, on road!" Clearly flustered, he switches to his native Polish, "At least two men and several animals are coming this way. From the west. They have... I know it sounds crazy but I think I saw a camel!"

Looking through a large gap in the west wall of the building, the party (those who care to and are able to look) can just barely make out, through a fallig curtain of icy rain, a man leading a line of pack animals- horses or mules, heavily laden- toward the village. They are about 200m out, having made an unseen approach under the cover of the storm. And, sure enough, at the head of the group, a long-legged, long-necked, hump-backed... camel.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:46, Sun 15 Feb 2009.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 284 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 15 Feb 2009
at 03:30
Re: The Fixer-Upper
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
In reply to Dave 'Bones' Stoner (msg #442):

Dawid winced as Bones cut away his trouser leg, stiff with dried blood. His leg was also stiff, and he hoped there wasn't other problems like gangrene. He could always put on spare trousers, he had no spare leg.

"Many thanks, my friend! I splashed some vodka on it, but that didn't seem to cure it. I shall lie back and relax while you work."


He sighed and lay back, composing his face to be expressionless while gritting his teeth against the pain.

"We should set up the damn mortar. Tomorrow, perhaps."


Dave winces at the misuse of alchohol. "Dude, vodka is for internal use only. Don't you read the label?. Alright, bro, you're set. Take two aspiring and call me in the morning. Or maybe the afternoon. Uhhh have your people call my people and set something up. We'll do lunch or something..." he mumbles as he falls asleep.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 578 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 15 Feb 2009
at 03:50
Re: The Fixer-Upper
Tucker will remain in the spot he found for himself and waits to be checked out before he passes out with the others.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1143 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 15 Feb 2009
at 10:49
Re: The Fixer-Upper
In reply to Dave 'Bones' Stoner (msg #451):

"People? I... don't have... my sister... not any more... people..."
He switched from English to Polish. He faded out in mid-sentence, not finishing the painful thought, drifting into a deep nightmare-less sleep.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:32, Sun 15 Feb 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 901 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 15 Feb 2009
at 11:23
Re: One Hump Or Two
Cap'n Rae:
"Men, on road!"


Bayer eyes snap open. He rises, feels around for his rifle that he'd left close by. He looks around disoriented and confused. A second later he says, "Where?" despite the location already given.

Cap'n Rae:
"At least two men and several animals are coming this way. From the west. They have... I know it sounds crazy but I think I saw a camel!"


He lays back down, relaxing his grip on his weapon, but leaving it resting on his chest. Disinterested, he says, "They don't see us no?"

"Then, I don't care myself. Probably traders. We don't need anything we can afford to trade for anyways ja? Then I say let em go... less who know we are here the better."

"If someone wants to meet them..." he pauses, "Then I am ok with it." He wasn't sure it was worth the risk of making contact, but if someone wanted to give it a shot, he'd wouldn't object.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:23, Sun 15 Feb 2009.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 453 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 15 Feb 2009
at 16:26
Re: One Hump Or Two
Mariusz hunched in cover as he watched the small column. He listened to the Kaptain's assessment and nodded, "If anyone wants to talk to them I'll interpret if you can't get by in Polish. Personally I'd let them go by but they will know what's going on further down the road. That might be useful."
Minh Quyen
 player, 357 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 16 Feb 2009
at 01:49
Re: One Hump Or Two
Quyen was stretched out on the ground listening Mariusz, Bayer, and Walter talking. She had insulated her lightweight sleeping bag by lying it over a bed of papers and other insulators. Sitting up she says, "I'll go." Getting up she says, "If you are ok about someone meeting them, I'll go with Mariusz and we'll ask about up ahead."

Leaving her rifle, she checks her sidearm and laces up her boots. "Ready?" she asks Mariusz. "Lets look non-threatening, but we careful ok?" Hopefully the appearance of a female and a young boy wouldn't set off the passers-by... assuming they were friendly in the first place.

As she leads the way out of the house, she gets Walter's attention. "Hey. Don't shoot or anything... unless something bad happens. And if then... be careful what you shoot at ok?" Gesturing Mariusz onwards she says, "We're going outside to the road."

As they make themselves known, she asks, "Mariusz? Was there a zoo or something around these parts before?"

This message was last edited by the player at 01:50, Mon 16 Feb 2009.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 454 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 16 Feb 2009
at 12:10
Re: One Hump Or Two
Mariusz uncovered his head and face before walking out to meet the column, Mihn was right, a woman and a boy wouldn't look too threatening. He heard her question and said, "A zoo? Warsaw had a big one, I'm not sure about anywhere nearer, we always went there. We could ask Ondar if any divisions moved from the Chinese Theatre had camels, I think they have them in Mongolia, this one might have walked here..."
Jason Kasparov
 player, 387 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Mon 16 Feb 2009
at 23:28
Re: One Hump Or Two
Jason sits in the cockpit of the Blackhawk, his hands on the collective and cyclic, tweaking the controls to adjust the direction and attitude of the helicopter as it speeds along at treetop level.  Suddenly, a call comes from the rear compartment, "Men, on road!"  The voice resumes, speaking Polish, "At least two men and several animals are coming this way. From the west. They have... I know it sounds crazy but I think I saw a camel!"

Jason sits up in his sleeping bag as he awakens.  He barely remembers getting into it once the group arrived in the semi-abandoned village.  The pain in his thigh reminds him what had occurred earlier that day -- or was it yesterday?  He then hears the voices of others and realizes what he had heard was not part of his dream.  A camel???  "Uhhhh...  What's going on?" he mutters sleepily at no-one in particular.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 989 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Tue 17 Feb 2009
at 00:15
Re: One Hump Or Two
"Let them go past," Anneka's muffled voice could be heard from deep within her sleeping bag.
"We're supposed to be hiding!"
Seconds later and sounds of sleeping could again be heard....
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1154 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 17 Feb 2009
at 02:07
Riders on the Storm

With the strange little convoy only 100m away from the municipal building, Minh and Mariusz step outside and into the freezing rain. They are a couple meters from the road when the man at the head of the menagerie sees them. He stops in his tracks and shouts twice- once for the humans, once again for the animals- for the others to do the same. He raises both hands to shoulder height in a familiar gesture many NATO troops refer to the "Polish Wave"- one hand empty, palm outward in a decidedly non-threatening gesture, and the other holding a weapon (in this case a pump-action shotgun) perpendicular to the ground, notifying the intended audience that the party, although peaceful, is not without teeth.

The leader shouts through the rain,

"Hello there! We'd love to work out a deal but we've got to get these animals under shelter right away. Do have a place for them? We can pay the rent!"

The man willingly reveals that he is a travelling merchant on his way to Kozienice (he doesn't specify from whence he's come) but that he's more than happy to trade with anyone he may happen to meet along the way. He's got the easy confidence of a professional salesman. He doesn't seem the least bit weary of these two armed strangers who've emerged from a seemingly abandoned, devastated settlement. There are two other men in the party, both in civilian dress but both armed. In their rain ponchos, it is difficult to tell much more about them. They hold themselves with a decidedly more guarded posture. The leader, however, is close enough to see clearly under his hood and wide-brimmed rain hat. He's got long, dark hair, and a long, pointy goatee. A gold hoop hangs from his left ear. His face, tanned and lined with age and wear, suggests that he's just short of middle age. He fits the gypsy stereotype quite well.

"Could we finish this conversation under cover? Cleopatra can't handle much more of this cold and damp!"

Next Moves?
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 286 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Tue 17 Feb 2009
at 03:12
Re: Riders on the Storm
Dave rouses himself from his bundle of blankets. "What's all the noise? You guys think this is a slumber party?" He crawls to his feet, grabs his rifle, and heads toward the door. As he passes Anneka he glances at the tiny Israeli woman. Damn, he thinks. For a little thing, she snores like a damn Marine.

He stops just inside the doorway and asks out loud of Minh and Mariusz "What'd he say? Was that english? I couldn't hear."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1144 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 17 Feb 2009
at 08:51
Re: Riders on the Storm
In reply to Dave 'Bones' Stoner (msg #461):

Dawid continued to slumber, completely oblivious to the world.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 106 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Tue 17 Feb 2009
at 09:39
Re: Riders on the Storm
Ondar's eyes flutter open and a dream evaporates.  Annoyed, he glances around the makeshift bunkroom and listens for a moment.  Content that he would be rousted if needed, he is certain that he will be of dimishing use without more significant rest.  He closes his eyes and within minutes is again deep asleep, with pleasant dreams of the rolling hills of his boyhood home perforated by terrifying images of Armageddon. The ghosts of his fallen comrades fight on in his subconscious as, almost imperceptibly, he begins to whimper.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 455 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 17 Feb 2009
at 18:34
Re: Riders on the Storm
Mariusz looked at the merchant and said, "Welcome, Sir, I'll just ask if it's OK for you to join us."

He turned around and trotted back to the Kaptain, "Sir, the man claims to be a travelling merchant, he fits the bill. He's asking for shelter from the rain and is willing to pay." his voice fell to a whisper, well out of earshot of anyone but Bayer, "I say bring them in, if we get suspicious of them, they'll be closer to kill."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 362 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 17 Feb 2009
at 18:35
Re: Riders on the Storm
Griet slumbered on, oblivious to everything except the embrace of Morpheus.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 579 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 17 Feb 2009
at 21:32
Re: Riders on the Storm
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #460):

RObert strains his eyes when he hears the conversation from the outside about a merchant and a camel.  "A camel?  Out here?  Ow, ow, ow, I gotta see this for myself," he says as he strains to get up and see with his own eyes.  He holsters his Browning pistol while he looks to see what is going on.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 388 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Tue 17 Feb 2009
at 22:50
Re: Riders on the Storm
Nobody answers him, and Jason is too tired to care about a camel, so he lies back down, rolls onto his left side (so the wounded hip is uppermost), and tries to go back to sleep.
Sam McCoy
 player, 195 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Wed 18 Feb 2009
at 19:04
Re: Riders on the Storm
Sam continues too sleep.....
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1156 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 18 Feb 2009
at 23:37
Business Time

With Bayer's blessing, Minh and Mariusz accompany the merchant caravan deeper into the village. As they pass the parked vehicles (initially out of sight on the east side of the municipal building), the self-proclaimed merchants take note. As they walk, they talk- shout really- with Mariusz translating back and forth for Minh.

"So, you chase off the local gangsters?"

"Yeah, they took off pretty fast when we showed up."

"Hmmm. Thanks. We usually have to offer them pretty steep 'discounts' to avoid trouble. It's not really very good for business. I suppose you've earned a discount yourself, if you care to trade, that is."

The merchant and his men seem to know the village fairly well. Heading down the main road, they slow as the group approaches a large garage- really just a high, corrugated tin roof supported by metal posts at the corners- that, at one time, probably housed the village collective's tractors. Now, it stands empty. It does however offer a fairly large, covered space- enough to shelter the five pack animals (three horses, three mules, and the camel) from the rain.

"Matt, see if you can get a fire started. Bruno, see to the animals.

"So you're soldiers, eh? NATO, I assume? What are you doing in these parts?"


"Just trying to get home. How about you?"

"Were heading to Kozienice for business. We were expecting a bit of rain, but nothing like this!"

"What do you trade in?"

"What do soldiers want most? Besides getting home, that is. They want to sleep, eat, and fuck- pardon my language. Well, we can't help 'em much with the last bit, but we've got plenty to eat and drink. If you've got some spare guns and ammo, we could work out a deal."

"Maybe. I'll have to talk to the officer in charge. Have you been to Gora Kalwaria? Are the bridges there still standing?"

"Ha! Gora Kalwaria? If you're trying to get home, you're heading in the wrong direction? No, the bridges are long gone. They've each been blown up a half-dozen times already! Pontoon bridges too- same thing. The locals set up a sort of ferry there, but it's no longer running. 'Pirates' run the river, now. I used to do business in the Warsaw area but they won't permit it. They're really giving the folks up there a hard time. If, uh, you're looking for... work, the people of Gora Kalwaria could use some experienced soldiers..."

Through Mariusz, Minh gives a polite, noncommittal answer and returns to the clubhouse to relay what she's gleaned to the others.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:02, Thu 19 Feb 2009.

Minh Quyen
 player, 358 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 19 Feb 2009
at 12:06
Re: Business Time
Quyen passes on the information Mariusz and her learned, as well as to where in the village they are billeted. "We going to trade anything for food or anything? Do we even have anything to trade?"

Quyen also says, "Hauptmann, he did say the bridges were out. If it means anything, I'd still suggest you send your recce team anyways. He seems friendly but I don't trust him that far."
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 288 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 20 Feb 2009
at 00:55
Re: Business Time
Dave follows as Minh and Mariusz lead the traders into the village. He's not sneaking or making threatening moves, just letting the traders know M & M aren't alone.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 456 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 20 Feb 2009
at 10:41
Re: Business Time
Mariusz chatted to the other traders, trying to get an angle on each of them. He helped to look after the animals as much as they would allow, whilst remaining careful not to annoy them by being too nosy or trying to get his hands on the merchandise.

As he spoke about the weather, general conditions and how bad life was since the war, he tried to find out more about the river pirates and the problems at Gora Calvarie. It wasn't a good sign he thought, the town was named after the hill of the dead that they crucified Jesus on, he hoped it wasn't a portent...
Konrad Bayer
 player, 902 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 20 Feb 2009
at 10:53
Re: Business Time
Bayer listens to Quyen and Mariusz without getting up. After a few moments he mumbles something about keeping an eye out and brains switched on... but he's doesn't seem to care on way or another regarding any fraternizing or trading with the traders.

At his shift time, he'll rise, kit up, and ensures that either him or Ondar have them under watch at all times.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1157 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 20 Feb 2009
at 22:56
Bedtime Stories

October 12, 2000
1800hrs.
35F
Heavy clouds; freezing rain
Approx. 30km south of Gora Kalwaria


The next watch passes without incident. For a couple of hours at the front end of this period, Mariusz stays with the merchants, helping them unload, dry, and warm their pack animals. The more time spent with these men (one of them is the same age as Mariusz, almost to the day; the others are both approaching middle age), the more certain one becomes that they are indeed what they claim to be.

During this time, Mariusz learns a little more about Gora Kalwaria. The merchant leader, in particular, is a rather chatty fellow. He reveals much- probably more than he should- but his delivery of the information lends to the impression that he's making a not-so-subtle sales pitch.

Apparently, the town was sorely used during the fighting around Warsaw three years ago. Its twin bridges and good west-east road and train tracks made it an operational (if not strategic) lynchpin on the southern flank of Warsaw proper. The town was occupied and reoccupied by both sides, and was subjected to heavy artillery and air strikes throughout the siege and during the NATO withdrawal. Both bridges were repaired and/or rebuilt several times, only to be left in pieces as the NATO troops pulled out. In the immediate aftermath of the nuclear strikes on Warsaw, the town lost much of its strategic importance and was largely forgotten by Moscow and Lublim. Similarly, several military pontoon bridges- both NATO and WTO- layed across the river both up and downstream of the town were destroyed. A civilian-run ferry fashioned from one such abandoned British pontoon used to operate near the town but since the pirates arrived, its operations have been severely curtailed.

The pirates operate from a base several kilometers upstream from Gora Kalwaria. They appear to be affiliated in same way with the region's unofficial power, the "Black Baron" Czarny, a renegade Polish warlord with a growing reputation for ruthlessness. Apparently, his "army" recently defeated a Polish army division sent from Lublin to arrest him.

The town of Gora Kalwaria sounds like it has made a rather stunning recovery since the Soviet/WTO forces lifted the siege of Warsaw and pushed back the NATO armies. The town is being rebuilt and hundreds of refugees have flocked there from the surrounding areas. Some come to stay and take part in the rebuilding effort while others come as pilgrims, to pay their respects and, if they are particularly favored by the Almighty, to be healed of their ailments, especially cancer. These pilgrims bring gifts for the church, accounting for the town's growing prosperity and explaining, in part, this marchant caravan's affiliation with the town.

Apparently, there is a woman in Gora Kalwaria- a blind woman- who, solely by the laying on of hands, can destroy cancerous tumors. Supposedly, dozens of people have been cured by this miracle worker.

The leader of the community is a Polish priest by the name of father Andre. His right-hand man is a rather militant monk- a modern-day knight Hospitaler, if you will- who leads Gora Kalwaria's rather sizeable militia force. The group numbers nearly 200 but, the merchant leader confides, they are poorly armed, with just a few salvaged assault rifles supplemented by a handful of hunting rifles and shotguns. Most of the militiamen have to make due with garage-built crossbows, clubs, and spears. The merchant also hints that at least a couple of British servicemen serve in the militia.

The militia has so far been successful in chasing off marauder attacks by land, but the river pirates are growing increasingly aggressive. They are too mobile, too numerous, and too well armed to be put off by force and they have been making demands on the town for large quantities of food and more recently, ammunition. Gora Kalwaria has plenty of the former, but hardly any of the latter. The pirates have threatened to destroy the town and sell its surviving inhabitants into slavery if they do not comply with the pirates' demands.

Before Mariusz leaves, the merchant leader confides that he is heading to Kozienice to trade with the garrison their- a rather corrupt bunch, by the sound of it- for ammunition. Its not clear whether that ammunition, if obtained, is to be used for fighting or for paying off the river pirates.

By sundown, the intensity of the rain has diminished somewhat, but it is still bitterly cold. Large puddles- or pools, really- surround most of the town's buildings. By morning, it will likely be frozen solid. It looks like the merchant caravan is planning on staying the night. They sound determined to continue on to Kozienice in the morning, weather permitting.

Next Moves?
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 363 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 21 Feb 2009
at 09:43
Re: Bedtime Stories
Griet awoke, still tried and stiff. She rolled out of her bedding and shivered at the freezing temperatures. She looked sadly around the wreck of what had once been a pleasant little village. Now it was a dessicated corpse, a corpse they inhabited like some form of grave worm.

She chatted briefly with the guard and got up to date with events. As her mind started to clear of the numbing fatigue that had dogged her in the battle the night before, she saw that whilst the effective members of the unit had left things in the best order they could, that order wasn't the most efficient for what they needed.

She busied herself stowing equipment away and gathering some of the filfth-encrusted clothes for processing. Griet doubted that they'd be able to wash them here, but she'd have to try. She called for Mariusz to try to find a large metal tub that they could boil water in and then shifted to categorising and unloading the weapons that they'd scrounged up in the never-ending firefight. She doubted that anyone would have been stupid enough to have left a scrounged weapon unloaded, but it was better to be safe than sorry.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 457 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 21 Feb 2009
at 09:59
Re: Bedtime Stories


Mariusz nodded to Griet and looked over at the youngster he'd been chattin to. The young man seemed fascinated by the tricked up German rifle that Mariusz had been showing him, Mariusz could understand that, he was still in awe of it himself, the stylish lines and clean efficiency were just too cool...

He looked at the youngster and said, "OK, work to do, do you want to come or are you going to stay in the dry? I wouldn't blame you."

He reloaded the magazine of the G3 and chambered a round. Then he made sure he was wrapped up as best he could, the advantage of being so small was that he could wear a lot of layers, and then pulled on his rain-proof poncho. After his careful preparations, he picked up his rifle and prepared to go looking for a boiling untensil.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:02, Sat 21 Feb 2009.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 991 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Sat 21 Feb 2009
at 12:35
Re: Bedtime Stories
Four short hours of sleep was barely enough to make a dent in Anneka's fatigue, but there was still work to do before the pitch blackness of night settled over them.
Rising from her deliciously warm sleeping bag, she tugged on her cold boots. RPK slung, Anneka made her way to the vehicles, searching for food, medicine and supplies they'd need during the night before bringing them back into their ramshackle home.

"Go back to sleep," she directed each of the wounded as she made her rounds, inspecting dressings, administering pain relief, sedatives or antibiotics as required.

Food was next on the list of priorities. Cooking pots brought from the tug found places at the fire, chicken and potatoes flavoured with items from her MREs simmering within. A loaf of white bread torn into chunks and lightly toasted sat on a plate nearby....

This message was last edited by the player at 12:37, Sat 21 Feb 2009.

Minh Quyen
 player, 359 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 22 Feb 2009
at 06:00
Re: Bedtime Stories
Quyen goes back to sleep.

ZZZzzzzzz
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1146 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 22 Feb 2009
at 10:40
Re: Bedtime Stories
Dawid slept on, slight rise and fall of his breathing being the only sign he was not yet one of the dead.
Jason Kasparov
 player, 389 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sun 22 Feb 2009
at 21:57
Re: Bedtime Stories
Jason had fallen back to sleep despite the discomfort from his wound, and continues to sleep until awakened (or around 2200, whichever comes first).
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 580 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 23 Feb 2009
at 21:19
Re: Bedtime Stories
Tucker can barely keep his eyes open even though there's been some new activity in their makeshift camp.  When he see/hears Anneka making her rounds, he goes back to his little piece of 'real estate' and goes back to sleep.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1160 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 23 Feb 2009
at 23:40
Morning Has Broken

October 13
0800hrs.
35F
Heavy clouds; snow flurries
Approx. 30km south of Gora Kalwaria


Mariusz finds a on old porcelain bathtub- cracked but not broken- in one of the nearby homes. After filling it with bits of wood found inside the same home, he drags it to the clubhouse.

He sets up a makeshift fireplace close to, but not underneath, an opening in the ceiling, providing for ventilation. Soon, he's got a crackling fire going. There's only enough fuel for a few hours of fire. Despite it's short duration, the fire provides welcome added warmth.

Dawn breaks cold. The previous day's rain has frozen solid, patches of ice now surround the shelter. Members of the party awake, cold, stiff but refreshed. One of the sentries sees on of the merchants approaching the shelter through the lazily falling snow.

The merchant wishes to speak with a representative of the party. He informs them that they will be departing shortly for Kozienice and asks if the party wishes to trade any ammunition (any NATO or WTO rifle or LMG rounds) for fresh food (butter, cheese, sausages, whiskey and wine).

Next Moves?
Konrad Bayer
 player, 903 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 24 Feb 2009
at 00:11
Re: Morning Has Broken
Bayer shrugs tiredly at the request and looks to Anneka and Adam. He was hungry. "Someone should go. Anyone."
Sam McCoy
 player, 196 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Tue 24 Feb 2009
at 02:07
Re: Morning Has Broken
Sam will awake in the morning and clean the area around him out to 25 feet Pie. he will then change and clean his wound take a few sedative and antibiotics and then make a bed out of his pack and blanket. He will clean and reload his rifle then go back too sleep the sedatives taking there tool.


Sam
Sleeping
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 995 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Tue 24 Feb 2009
at 02:14
Re: Morning Has Broken
"I'll do it," Anneka stated sounded refreshed and ready to face the day.
"Stoner, can you prep the surgical gear while I'm gone please. We've still got a bullet to remove from Kasparov and there's a few others who might need stitching up properly."

Outside, Anneka greets the merchant warmly before settling in to the important task of trade.
"How much will you offer for an AK-74 and two dozen full magazines?" she asked in near perfect Polish, well aware the size of their group required a substantial amount of food each day.
Jan Cerny
 player, 89 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 24 Feb 2009
at 13:21
Re: Morning Has Broken
As dawn passes and the early morning activity wakes him up Jan shifts position in his sleeping bag and tries to to go back to sleep. Finally deciding his leg hurts enough to keep him up fo a while he gets up. Limping he makes his way outside long enough to take care of the early morning neccessities before returning to the relative warmth of the building.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 364 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 24 Feb 2009
at 19:28
Re: Morning Has Broken
Griet stood up as Mariusz brought in his finds, "Excellent work, Mari," she said, "I'll get the water boiling and we can get the crap off the clothes. Why don't you look over what food we have and see if you can cook something up? I'll see if I can get more wood."

She looked around and said, "Is anyone able to come with me when I scrounge for wood, two is safer than one?"

She left the question hanging and said to Bayer, "Sir, I have both my Tantal and an AKSU as personal weapons, if we lose our transport I can't carry both, I'd be happy to put the AKSU into the communal pot, it might keep us going a few more days."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1147 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 24 Feb 2009
at 21:14
Re: Morning Has Broken
Groaning, Dawid woke up. Someone had dragged him close to the fire, and the heat worked its way into his stiff muscles.

His leg was stiff and sore, bandages crusted with dried blood. He was also famished and so ate some bread and sausage, rations stored in his pack, washing it down with water from his canteen. His leg collapsed when he tried to support his weight on it, so he hopped around a little and crawled when he needed to, leg and head throbbing from the exertion. He saw Mariusz tending the fire.

"Ah shit. Well, at least we are alive."

"Mariusz, thank you so much for the firewood. The fire is a godsend!"


Before he collapsed again he cleaned his PKM, sitting by the fire, absorbing its heat. Once done with cleaning the weapon, he replaced the non-disintegrating belt and collected the spent casings from the brass-catcher for later reloading. He checked the new belt for obviously flawed ammunition to cut down on future ammunition stoppages.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:55, Tue 24 Feb 2009.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 460 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 24 Feb 2009
at 22:03
Re: Morning Has Broken
Mariusz nursed the fire like it was an ailing child and prepared what cooking utensils he had. He surveyed the paltry amount of food they had left and quickly started to work out the most effective way of cooking and rationing it.

The chickens they had needed to be eaten today. He deftly cut the meat from the carcass and set the three carcasses into a pot of water to start boiling up a stock. The stock and some potatoes would make a hearty soup and he'd cook half of the chicken in with the soup and crisp fry the rest to serve as a crispy garnish. He looked around at the people here. They were tired and looked like they were dead on their feet, they needed something solid inside them to help restore them.

After the stock began to boil, he set the chicken aside and cut slices of bacon for their frying pan. He cooked the rashers slowly to start with in order for them to release their fat. Once the bacon was well cooked, he fried one side of rounds of wholemeal bread in the fat and started to deliver sandwiches to those that were awake. He continued to make them for anyone who asked for them.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1148 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 25 Feb 2009
at 08:57
Re: Morning Has Broken
Smelling the sandwiches he perked up. "Oh yes, Mariusz, that smells great! I'll have one, please."
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 289 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 25 Feb 2009
at 12:29
Re: Morning Has Broken
Anneka Soleblume:
"I'll do it," Anneka stated sounded refreshed and ready to face the day.
"Stoner, can you prep the surgical gear while I'm gone please. We've still got a bullet to remove from Kasparov and there's a few others who might need stitching up properly."


'No problem. You're looking bright eyed an bushy tailed this fine morning."
Dave opens up his & Anneka's medical packs and quickly sterilizes the surgical intsruments before Mariuzs throws the chicken in the pot. Then he sets them aside on the inside of a dressing package, preserving the cleanliness as much as possible.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 290 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 25 Feb 2009
at 12:33
Re: Morning Has Broken
Taking a sandwich from Mariusz, Dave nods his thanks. "Hey, did you ever find out where they got the camels? There's got to be a story behind that."
Jan Cerny
 player, 90 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 25 Feb 2009
at 13:31
Re: Morning Has Broken
After taking care of his morning needs, Jan settles near the fire. Taking in the smells from the cooking food he smiles. "Mariusz you do wonders with what we have on hand and turn it into a feast. If we survive long enough I will send you to Le Cordon Bleu. Such a gift is to be encouraged."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 581 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 25 Feb 2009
at 23:05
Re: Morning Has Broken
If no one awakens him, Tucker will sleep until he is awoken by the smell of food cooking somewhere near him.  The smell was incredible, like back on the boat when they used to eat in the galley by meals prepared by Mariusz.  Tucker moves stiffly from the pain in his arm and the cold weather and gets himself up off of the ground and seeks out the source of the food.  "My arm is fuckin' killing me but, before the Major or Doc amputates me, I wanted to get some of this soup and chiken Mariusz!  This smells so damn good," Tucker says to him as he tries to juggle what he can and find a place to sit and eat.

If Bayer is around, he will wave him over and ask him, "Two things boss.  First, how did Milk buy it?  Secondly, you still got my Colt right?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 905 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 26 Feb 2009
at 01:06
Re: Morning Has Broken
Griet Niewiadomska:
She left the question hanging and said to Bayer, "Sir, I have both my Tantal and an AKSU as personal weapons, if we lose our transport I can't carry both, I'd be happy to put the AKSU into the communal pot, it might keep us going a few more days."


Bayer nods quietly. They may all be in that position soon. "Let the doctor know. She is sorting out an exchange."

He then changes his clothes. But it makes little difference when you're only putting dirty ones back on. He left his gear where he piled it neatly by his bunk space.

Loitering around the fire, Mariusz and the food, Tucker finds him.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
"Two things boss.  First, how did Milk buy it?  Secondly, you still got my Colt right?"


He thinks for a moment. Putting the flashes of memories of the frantic and desperate firefight into order. "Single shot. It was quick... he didn't feel anything." He speaks loud enough for all to hear the grim news. "We had a platoon on us. Too many to deal with. Luck came and went. He got hit and we attempted to withdraw. Ondar took a round trying to get his body back but it was beyond doing." He left it at that.

Shaking his head he returns to his gear and removes the handgun he'd secured in his webbing. If the thought of Milk didn't linger in the air, he'd have been more enthusiastic about returning the Colt. "Here." he says simply. "I never did thank you for pulling through for me... everyone. Thanks."

Sitting down with the fresh rations Mariusz cooked up he unfolded his map. "Who is combat effective?" he asks aloud.

The work never stopped.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:06, Thu 26 Feb 2009.

Minh Quyen
 player, 360 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 26 Feb 2009
at 06:17
Re: Morning Has Broken
Konrad Bayer:
"Who is combat effective?" he asks aloud.


Quyen sat by the fire, watching the flickering flames consume the wood and paper. She rubbed her shoulder. She was injured - twice. The throbbing jolts of pain intensified with every slight movement. Keeping absolutely still was the only means of rest and stopping the pain. But her wounds weren't deep, no bones were broken, and there was no massive muscle damage. There were others in the group that were in much worse shape - nobody would hear complaints from her.

Still staring at the warm, orange heat, she says, "I." Quyen massaged her shoulder again and thought, "I think."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 582 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 26 Feb 2009
at 13:36
Re: Morning Has Broken
Konrad Bayer:
Loitering around the fire, Mariusz and the food, Tucker finds him.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
"Two things boss.  First, how did Milk buy it?  Secondly, you still got my Colt right?"


He thinks for a moment. Putting the flashes of memories of the frantic and desperate firefight into order. "Single shot. It was quick... he didn't feel anything." He speaks loud enough for all to hear the grim news. "We had a platoon on us. Too many to deal with. Luck came and went. He got hit and we attempted to withdraw. Ondar took a round trying to get his body back but it was beyond doing." He left it at that.

Shaking his head he returns to his gear and removes the handgun he'd secured in his webbing. If the thought of Milk didn't linger in the air, he'd have been more enthusiastic about returning the Colt. "Here." he says simply. "I never did thank you for pulling through for me... everyone. Thanks."

Sitting down with the fresh rations Mariusz cooked up he unfolded his map. "Who is combat effective?" he asks aloud.

The work never stopped.
It was a sad moment for Tucker because Clarence was one of the original hires for the trip to Warsaw by Adam.  Tucker knew that there weren't that many left from just a short time ago and that Milk would be missed.  "As long as it was quick right?  That's the way to go out out, blaze of glory so to speak.  He was a good dude," Robert trails off saying before he begins to choke up and recomposes himself quickly.

He reaches up to take back his Colt Python and place it on his lap for the time being.  He looks back up at Bayer and tells him, "You guys would've done the same thing for me boss!  You don't have to thank me, you're the only family I got left!  I try to look after my own!  Don't know if I can stand a watch yet boss.  Guess you better find out from the Major or Bones about that.  My arm's still pretty fucked up I think."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 906 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 26 Feb 2009
at 13:56
Re: Morning Has Broken
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Don't know if I can stand a watch yet boss. My arm's still pretty fucked up I think."</Green>


"Stand down then." he replies. We'll need you soon enough I'm sure anyways, he thought. "And for sure... we would have. But its still good to know I can rely on you to watch our back. To be there."

Nodding to Quyen he says, "Ok... good show."

He looks back down at the map awaiting further replies on who is 'action capable'. He doesn't want to ask directly, or even look around at their faces. He needed effectives, and not battered bodies to volunteer themselves. Save it for next time, he thought.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1162 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 26 Feb 2009
at 19:37
Walk Like an Egyptian

The head merchant, who volunteers his name as Jupyszyk, arrives at the municipal building at the head of his strange little caravan. The merchants accept the offer of breakfast and rotate into the building to partake in a quick a meal.

Jupyszyk is the last one in. After scarfing down some of Mari's fine cooking, he announces.

"Fantastic. You have an amazing cook here. Well, we'd best be heading out now, in case the snow begins coming down much harder. Your offer is a good one, but if you are headed to Gora Kalwaria, you may as well do your business there. That is where we got our stock and there's much more of the same there. The weapons and ammo are for them anyway. We need to go to Kozienice and acquire more, if possible. But, for your help, here, have these sausages. They are the finest you will ever taste, you'll see."

He unwraps a parcel and hands over a string of fat links, one for each member of the party.

"And, don't worry. We've never met you." He adds with a conspiritorial wink.

"When you get to town, tell them Jupyszyk sent you. Tell them that Cleopatra is feeling fine. They'll now what it means."

At people's curious looks, Jupyszyk explains, pointing at the camel, draped in packages and blankets.

"Cleo? Yes, strange, eh? She used to live at the Warsaw zoo. She and many of the other animals were evacuated when the siege began. She bounced around from owner to owner for a couple of years after that. When I came across her, she was very ill and I bought her for a bottle of schnapps. But, I nursed the old girl back to health and she's served me well ever since."

The camel doesn't look like it's feeling very well. Every couple of minutes it stretches out its long neck and lets out a burst of loud, honking coughs.

"Well, we must be off. Hopefully, we'll see you back in Gora Kalwaria; if not, fare thee well."

Next Moves?
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 365 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 26 Feb 2009
at 19:52
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
Griet looked at the Kaptain, "I feel like I could sleep for another month, but I'm fine really, if you need something done, I'll do it. As for effective in combat, I'm not sure I've ever been that."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 461 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 26 Feb 2009
at 19:55
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
Mariusz replied to the officer as well, "I'm fine for duty Sir. Sir, are we staying here much longer or do we head for G-K? If we stay I'll forage more fuel but if we go will we be able to run the vehicle heaters? That might be good to keep the wounded warm."

He poked the embers with a stick to get more flame and heat from them, "If you want, I volunteer to scout out the town, if someone will get me close on the trike I'll go in by foot so we don't risk a vehicle."
Jan Cerny
 player, 91 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 27 Feb 2009
at 16:32
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
Taking stock of the shape he is in for a moment Jan speaks up.
"While I do not think it would be to the best for me to do the forced march, I am combat effective. I would be glad to escort the youngster to check the town. Or I could try and find us some more wood for the fire. It is getting colder and we will need more soon."
Looking around for a moment and considering the more seriously wounded he adds.
"Those who are wounded would rest beter with more warmpth, and in this weather it would be dangerous for them to become ill. The wood may be the more urgent of the two tasks."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 583 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 28 Feb 2009
at 03:51
Re: Morning Has Broken
Konrad Bayer:
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Don't know if I can stand a watch yet boss. My arm's still pretty fucked up I think."</Green>


"Stand down then." he replies. We'll need you soon enough I'm sure anyways, he thought. "And for sure... we would have. But its still good to know I can rely on you to watch our back. To be there."
Tucker manages a smile and motions with his finger for Konrad to some closer so he doesn't have to say something out loud.  "What're we gunna do about RESET now that Clarence is gone?  And, you've got me as long as you want me!  I got yours and everyone elses back Boss!"
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1001 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Sat 28 Feb 2009
at 11:38
Re: Morning Has Broken
"How much food are you carrying?" she asked Jupyszyk, still in negotiation mode.
"Do you have anything else we might be interested in?"
By her calculation they couldn't be carrying more than eight or nine hundred kilograms of food - less if they needed the animals to carry their own fodder. If ammunition in this part of the world was as valuable as most places, the spare AK-74 magazines they were carrying would be sufficent to buy their entire stock. Nearly three thousand rounds preloaded in mags fended off a lot of marauder attacks.
If they threw in the AK-74 she'd already mentioned and Griets AKSU, they might even pick up a couple of those mules, not that they needed them...
Konrad Bayer
 player, 907 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 28 Feb 2009
at 11:43
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
Mariusz Tokarski:
"I'm fine for duty Sir. Sir, are we staying here much longer or do we head for G-K? If we stay I'll forage more fuel but if we go will we be able to run the vehicle heaters? That might be good to keep the wounded warm."


Bayer answers, "Whether we stay for a little longer or leave I think that should be a group decision. Everyone knows there own limitations and it'd be best not to test them."

"In either case I want to send two people to reconnoiter ahead. You'll likely be one of them." He mulled over his other options for who'd the boy was to be paired with.

With that, he turns to Jan and asks, "Your leg? Can you operate ok with it?"

"How does everyone feel about staying for a day. Get some rest, forage, do some weapons and vehicle maintenance. It'll also give our scouts more of an operating window so they won't have to rush. Opinions?" he asks aloud.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:44, Sat 28 Feb 2009.

Minh Quyen
 player, 361 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 28 Feb 2009
at 14:47
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
Konrad Bayer:
"How does everyone feel about staying for a day. Get some rest, forage, do some weapons and vehicle maintenance. It'll also give our scouts more of an operating window so they won't have to rush. Opinions?" he asks aloud.


Quyen puts in her 'vote', "Stay. For another day."

She then looks at Mariusz and says quietly, "I'm still volunteering... but I can't drive a motorcycle."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 462 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 28 Feb 2009
at 16:48
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
Mariusz said, "I think we should rest up for a day too. If we decide to stay, I'd suggest that Mihn, Griet and I spend a few hours scouting this location and gathering firewood. Then we can rest up until evening and Mihn and I can try to scout out Gora Kalwaria. Can you drive a car, Mihn? If so, you can probably manage the basics of the trike. I managed it without killing us and I've never driven anything."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 366 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 28 Feb 2009
at 16:52
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
"I agree we should stay at least a day," Griet commented, "we need to sort out gear in the vehicles and regroup after yesterday, if we push ourselves too far we'll eventually run out of luck or energy and end up as dead as Milk."

She paused, "As for trading, I'd suggest leaving it until we reach the town. The merchant advised us to trade with them directly. We'll probably get a better price there as the trader's cut is taken out. We have food enough to last til then and enough if there's an emergency so I'd say we can afford to wait."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1168 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 28 Feb 2009
at 20:15
Separate Ways
Anneka Soleblume:
"How much food are you carrying?" she asked Jupyszyk, still in negotiation mode.
"Do you have anything else we might be interested in?"


"A few hundred kilos of food. There's much more where that came from in Gora-Kalwaria. The rest is liquor. It's good stuff- much tastier and a whole lot safer than the soldiers can brew up themselves. Hopefully it will encourage them to 'lose' a few thousand rounds. Look, we've got to get going. The roads will be icy and covered in a couple of centimenters of snow so the going will be slow. Farewell, and I hope to see you again."

With that, the merchant caravan files out of the village, heading west towards the main road between Kozienice and Gora-Kalwaria.

The party remains inside the municipal building, deciding their next course of action.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:16, Sat 28 Feb 2009.

Sam McCoy
 player, 197 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sat 28 Feb 2009
at 21:06
Re: Separate Ways
Sam will speak out.
"as A professional military man I see a few things that must be done.
1) We must secure all the fuel we can for the fire during daylight.
2)set up a effective security posture. IE a pair of outside rovers and a wounded one in side on watch.
3)we must transfer fuel from the trailer to the tanks of our tucks and bike to fill them.
4)we must clean the big guns, MK-19,AGS-17,Twin 23's and the PKM.
5)we must clean are personal guns and our gear.
6)we must pool are resources.I have anti biotics here that i have been humping around will give some to the wounded if you want.
7)we must orginise our vehicle loads and the crew of them.
8)treat our wounds. mine is doing well I have got lots of sleep and have treated it twice. I will need more sleep til I'm combat effective.

These are things we must do and make a list of them and any other concerns.If we are too stay here another 24 hours lets make it productive with one leader (Konrad) and the rest of us working with no bitch's towards a greater good. We have made it out of some nasty shit lets not waste our time here.I will help as much as I can and will be here for any adivce I can Give. I would like to work with the boy/cook on his rifle skills if thats ok with the rest here."


With sam done talking he will clean his rifle for th second time same with his pistol. he will then reorg his pack and gear and check and clean his wound. once done he will go back to sleep.


Sam
Doing things
M25
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1004 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Sun 1 Mar 2009
at 00:56
Re: Separate Ways
"We should move on about another hour or so," Anneka advised Konrad.
"Just because the merchants said they won't say anything doesn't mean we should trust them."
Trusting strangers was usually a fast path to death.
"First though there's some bullets to remove and wounds to properly stich. I suggest you arrange our stores, refuel and decide vehicle positions while Stoner and I get to work."

Anneka didn't hang around for Konrad's response, there were at least two people in unnecessary pain she could help so after thoroughly scrubbing herself and her patients in melted snow heated over the fire, she set to work...

"Warrant Officer Kasparov, you're first."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 367 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 1 Mar 2009
at 09:11
Re: Separate Ways
"Thankyou for the advice, Sam," Griet replied to him, "that was exactly the sort of thing I had in mind and it's good that you clarified the order of tasks for us. Mariusz is one of the few able bodied we have left at the moment, so he might not be able to be spared for instruction, but if the commander does decide we are going to stay, I'll do my best to task him for some instruction time."
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 291 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 1 Mar 2009
at 15:34
Re: Separate Ways
"I vote we stay another night at least. It will give the wounded, which is most of us, a little more time to heal. IF those traders tell some baddies about us, I'd rather fight from a defensive position than jump out of the truck and shoot."

After Anneka's statement to Jason about him being the first for surgery, Dave picks up a piece of nearby rubble. "Yes Mr Kasparov, I've got your anesthetic right here. I'm afraid it's going to have to be a general, our pharmacy seems to be low on locals at the present", he says with an evil grin.
Jan Cerny
 player, 92 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 1 Mar 2009
at 16:29
Re: Separate Ways
"Is a gamble to stay here longer, yes? On the one hand we make it easyer for the enemy to find and capture us. On the other hand, we have wounded who will heal quicker under cover and with rest. On the third hand with the way the weather has turned, it is most difficult to follow tracks and find us. And on the fourth hand, the worsening weather makes it even more neccessary to stay in cover."
Jan gives a small shrug and a an ironic smile.
"With so many hands it is like being in Kali's grip. I would say it is worth the chance to stay. but like much it is a gamble we take."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 584 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 1 Mar 2009
at 21:00
Re: Separate Ways
"Listen, I'm of no use until I can get this bullet out of my arm.  WE're all pretty whooped from the past couple of days and I think we should stay one more night and then move out the following day regardless."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 908 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 2 Mar 2009
at 01:20
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
Mariusz Tokarski:
Mariusz said, "Then we can rest up until evening and Mihn and I can try to scout out Gora Kalwaria. Can you drive a car, Mihn? If so, you can probably manage the basics of the trike. I managed it without killing us and I've never driven anything."


Bayer nods and says, "Ok. Stay rested and off anything but the lightest duties. You'll leave tonight."

"I'll support the majority vote. We'll stay for a while... even though its has its own risks in doing so."

Tasks
Anneka - set up a suitable aid post and run through the wounded
Stoner - assist in the aid post
Adam / Walter / Griet - collect firewood, maintain fire, transfer fuel, supplementary duties
Ondar / Dawid / Jan - 1st shift sentries, AGS maintenance, pers wep maintenance
Quyen / McCoy / Tucker - 2nd shift sentries, MK-19 maintenance, pers wep maintenance
Bayer / Jason / Mariusz - 3rd shift sentries, PKM maintenance, pers wep maintenance

*Wounded individuals drawn for medical attention as needed.
*Groups to alternate to take 4 hours of forced rest between their duties.
Sam McCoy
 player, 198 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Mon 2 Mar 2009
at 02:12
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
"Stoner, I cleaned and did my own work on my wound. Can you check it just to make sure?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:43, Tue 03 Mar 2009.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1149 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 2 Mar 2009
at 09:35
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
After completing his maintenance tasks and napping for a while, Dawid got up and checked his gear, putting on his chest harness. You never knew when trouble would happen in the "new Poland".

His leg felt like it was on fire, although Stoner had sewn him up in a rough-but-effective manner and he had taken some of the antibiotics

"Will anyone help me unload and set up the mortar? At least, hitch it to the back of the Honker. I cannot do it myself because of my injury."

This message was last edited by the player at 10:16, Mon 02 Mar 2009.

Minh Quyen
 player, 362 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 2 Mar 2009
at 11:08
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
Quyen busied herself with her tasks. When it came time for her group to work on the Mk-19, she offered to strip the weapon and handle most of the heavier parts - it was just a little assistance for Tucker, who's arm needed to be doing the least amount as possible.

After she was done she worked on her own weapon... and ensured she topped off her magazines with loose cartridges she had in her rucksack.

In between her maintenance jobs and sentry, she rested by the fire.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 463 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 2 Mar 2009
at 19:08
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
Mariusz checked the roster and saw he was on general duties for the moment and said to Dawid, "I'll do it, you tell me what to do and I'll get it done."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 368 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 2 Mar 2009
at 19:27
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
Griet gathered the foraging team together and said, "OK, we'll get the fuel transfer and readying the vehicles done first. That way if we need to run quickly everything is ready for that. Once we've done that we'll start by searching house to house for usable fuel. If we can't find enough there, we'll head to the nearest treeline. We'll take it in turns, one on watch while we forage and two foraging. Get your guns and any kit you need and let's get going."

As they sorted the vehicles out, Griet made sure they grabbed a couple of axes and a saw from the pioneer tools on the vehicles.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 585 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 2 Mar 2009
at 20:17
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
Konrad Bayer:
"I'll support the majority vote. We'll stay for a while... even though its has its own risks in doing so."

Tasks
Anneka - set up a suitable aid post and run through the wounded
Stoner - assist in the aid post
Adam / Walter / Griet - collect firewood, maintain fire, transfer fuel, supplementary duties
Ondar / Dawid / Jan - 1st shift sentries, AGS maintenance, pers wep maintenance
Quyen / McCoy / Tucker - 2nd shift sentries, MK-19 maintenance, pers wep maintenance
Bayer / Jason / Mariusz - 3rd shift sentries, PKM maintenance, pers wep maintenance

*Wounded individuals drawn for medical attention as needed.
*Groups to alternate to take 4 hours of forced rest between their duties.
When Tucker's wound is tended to by Anneka or Stoner, he will make his way over to where Minh and Sam are working on stripping the MK-19 for cleaning and manintenance.  He sees that Minh is trying to make it easier for him to help and he nods to her, "Thanks for the help Minh.  I feel like a jerk with my arm all messed up and I can't do all that much.  Fuckers tagged me pretty good back there!"

When the time permits, Tucker will also tend to his personal weapons and gear to make sure his mags, ammo, weapons, & gear are in sevicable condition.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 292 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Mon 2 Mar 2009
at 23:32
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
Sam McCoy:
"stoner i cleaned and did my own work on my wound. can you check it just too make sure?"


"No problem" Dave quickly checks the wound. "UhOh. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you going to die. Barring death by misadventure, I give you another 30 to 40 years."
Sam McCoy
 player, 199 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Tue 3 Mar 2009
at 04:16
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
"Thanks, Dave, you are the pro; I'm just a part time fix it guy. Hey, take these biotics and use them well. The others need them to fight off anything in this area."

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:43, Tue 03 Mar 2009.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1150 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 3 Mar 2009
at 05:17
Re: Walk Like an Egyptian
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #520):

"Ah, you are too kind. I will be glad to direct the setup."

"For now, let's just get it off the back of the STAR.... in one piece?"

"Thanks! Give me a few minutes before we start."
He sighed, favouring his throbbing sore leg. He had tears in his eyes from the pain, but struggled to avoid showing them. To delay starting for a few moments, he put on a pot of tea.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:57, Tue 03 Mar 2009.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1171 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 3 Mar 2009
at 15:42
Snow Patrol
October 13
1200hrs.
30F
Heavy clouds; snow flurries
Approx. 30km south of Gora Kalwaria


Snow continues to fall gently, covering the village in a clean, white shroud.

Anneka and Stoner prepare an at least partially sterile operating area and call in their first patient, a clearly feverish Jason Kasparov. Without anesthesia, the minor surgery is an agonizing ordeal for the rotary pilot. The entry area has swollen and an infection appears to have set in. Furthermore, the bullet is imbedded deeply and may be lodged his the thigh bone. After an excruciating hour- during which Jason passes out and reawakens several times- Anneka and Stoner give up. The bullet is not going to come out. The best they can do is to try to treat the infection and keep Jason as comfortable as possible.

After boiling their instruments, the surgical team set to work on Tucker. For a few minutes, it's touch and go, but the team finally removes the bullet from Tucker's upper arm. He must be drinking his Milk because the bullet pancaked against his humerus, failing to damage the bone at all. There is some muscle damage but, with some more rest and a continuing course of antibiotics, he should make a full recovery.

The party's other, less serious wounds are retreated. None of them appear to have become infected, but antibiotics are admistered nevertheless.

In the meantime, the AGS-17 and the Mk-19 are dismounted, brought inside, dismantled, and thoroughly cleaned. Fuel is siphoned out of the tanker-trailer and the vehicle's tanks are topped off.  While she works Minh looks up to see several wolf-like dogs (if not actual wolves) cautiously moving around the perimeter of the building. They keep their distance but they are obviously curious about the party's campsite.

While helping to dismount and clean the heavy weapons, Dawid finds Milk's pack crumpled in the sidecar of the motorcycle, but it's been emptied of its contents. Apparently, someone else found it first.

Shortly after breakfast, Griet, Adam, and Walter bundle up in whatever winter gear they have and set out into the village proper to gather firewood. There's not much that hasn't been burned alreay. Wooden furniture has mostly been completely consumed by the fires that razed nearly all of the village's buildings. There is some partially burned wood to be pulled from windowsills, floors, stairwells and the like and the wood-gathering party, after nearly four hours of work, has gathered enough to keep a small fire burning throughout the day and well into the night. On the far (east) side of the village, just a couple of kilometers from the west bank of the Vistula, Old Adam spots fresh tracks in the snow leading from the open fields on the east side of the village to one of the partially collapsed homes at the edge of the abandoned settlement. From a distance, it appears that three or four boot-clad individuals- the men the party had chased off the day before, perhaps- have reoccupied a private little corner of the village.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:45, Tue 03 Mar 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 909 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 3 Mar 2009
at 17:18
Re: Snow Patrol
Bayer sits near the fire, using his gear as a seat. Its bulky but keeps him off the cold floor. After lunch he asks, "Mariusz... you know the people around here. Those men. Do you think they are bandits? Or possibly something like a hunting party? Something else?"

After his answer he calls over Ondar and Jan. He tells them of Mariusz's opinion on the men. Then adds, "While we're here... sweep around the village again. Find and stop at a vantage point where you can see them. Stay out of sight... no need to get close and cause trouble eh?" They had sentries posted, but Bayer was of the opinion they couldn't be too cautious with an unknown party sharing the village. That, and simple curiosity.

Standing, he pokes the fire, then get Mariusz and Quyen's attention. "Leave a little before dark. Take a good radio, a map, and a compass. Quyen, I'll loan you my NVGs... don't lose dem. Recce the town and the crossing, but the mission doesn't have precedence over your lives. If you can't get close enough - forget it. Understood?"

He then adds with a slight smile, "Remember, there will be no rescue missions." He meant it as a mild joke, but it was probably closer to the truth than he wanted to admit.

Speaking aloud he says, "Ve'll be short two members. In addition to that, our casualties will require us to alter our vehicle placements. I'm open for suggestions."

OOC - I'm also interested in what other concurrent activities you all think we can do for the next period.
Sam McCoy
 player, 200 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Tue 3 Mar 2009
at 17:26
Re: Snow Patrol
Sam will continue to stand inside wounded watch and redress his wound every 8 hours. He will also continue to hand out antibiotics and take them himself. When sam is not active he will be sleeping with his pack as a pillow with a wool blanket and poncho pulled over himself. Sam will not speak unless spoken too during this time. Resting and healing is his major goal.



Sam
Sleeping
M25
Minh Quyen
 player, 363 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 3 Mar 2009
at 17:44
Re: Snow Patrol
Konrad Bayer:
Standing, he pokes the fire, then get Mariusz and Quyen's attention. "Leave a little before dark. Take a good radio, a map, and a compass. Quyen, I'll loan you my NVGs... don't lose dem. Recce the town and the crossing, but the mission doesn't have precedence over your lives. If you can't get close enough - forget it. Understood?"


Quyen takes the goggles, checks to see if the batteries are working, then stuffs them away where they can't fall out of her gear. "Understood." she replies, looking at Mariusz.

She saw what happens to enough people who get caught by the wrong crowd. For that reason, she wouldn't allow herself to be taken alive. The night she met Adam and his team, she was prepared for the worst - only luck saved her. If things were to go poorly for her and Mariusz, she knew luck wouldn't hold up for her again.

Afterward, she says to the boy, "What time should we go? It gets dark early this time of year right? How long do you think it will take for us to get there?"

This message was last edited by the player at 17:46, Tue 03 Mar 2009.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 464 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 3 Mar 2009
at 20:09
Re: Snow Patrol
Mariusz tried his best to answer Bayer's question, "I'm really only guessing, Sir, they seem to organised to be crazies and there isn't sign of permenant habitation here. That leaves a military patrol, local or national, bandits or hunters. If it was the military they'd have hit us overnight when we were weakest, if they were observing us they'd be well away from the village. I don't see why hunters would stick around so my guess would be bandits or deserters, they'd lack the discipline to be uncomfortable but they might stick around to see if they could make an opportunity attack."

Once Bayer had moved on he spoke with Mihn about their mission, "It'll take about thirty minutes to reach the outskirts of the town on the trike, before we get that close I'd like to check for outlying OPs, anywhere that we can get a good look at the town from outside should be under observation or patrol. If somewhere isn't we can get a good look and come back here. Otherwise we'll need to get in closer and I'll do a foot patrol. Whatever happens, I think you should stay with the trike, if I'm caught they'll be less suspicious if I'm alone than if I'm with NATO personnel. What do you think?"

As he spoke he did a quick inspection of his scrapes and bruises. The one where he'd headbutted the deer was maturing nicely and he had a few purple marks over his body but his face was fairly clear. He looked at Mihn and said, "You were a military cop so you've seen abuse patterns before, I want you to smack me around a bit, fat lip, black eye, a couple of belts across the back, you know the sort of thing. If I'm caught I can pose as a runnaway."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:13, Tue 03 Mar 2009.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1151 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 4 Mar 2009
at 11:19
Re: Snow Patrol
Dawid waits for help with the mortar.

As he does, he lights a smoke and comments to Mariusz and Konrad, "well, looks like RESET is gone anyways. Probably the plans were with Milk, that's what I would do if I were him. After all, someone can always go through your belongings when you're not there!"

He grabbed Adam and Walter to assist unloading and setting up the mortar.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:42, Wed 04 Mar 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 910 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 4 Mar 2009
at 11:25
Re: Snow Patrol
After conferring with the group (last post's topic), Bayer assists with the mortar. He shakes his head at the mention of Reset, "In our own little world it is probably for the best that it's gone. I could imagine us killing each other over it."

Inspecting the sighting unit for damage he says, "How many rounds do we have left for this anyways?"
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1006 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Wed 4 Mar 2009
at 11:58
Re: Snow Patrol
"It's too important to let bandits get hold of it," Anneka said with a slight touch of panic in her voice.
"Besides, do you really think the Soviets are going to believe we've no longer got it?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1152 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 4 Mar 2009
at 12:15
Re: Snow Patrol
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #532):

"Six rounds left, I believe. Three were left on the road. Setting up the mortar here, well, we can't cover a reconnaissance into town."

Not wanting to open the wounds on his leg, he held back, but kept a close eye on the deployment of the weapon.

"As for RESET, it's certainly not good for Poland it's gone, although I guess it's all the same if the Americans have it or the Russians. If the Russians have it, I guess they will be off our backs now. If the Americans have it, we will find out and Poles do not forget. Ha, maybe the communists recovered it after all?"

"It could be that rabble that were here stole it, but then they'd steal a truck while they were at it, too."


He continued to smoke, glancing at the sky. Then he addressed Anneke's comment directly. "Kill each other for RESET? Not me. I would have made a deal, and still would. It's possibly the last national treasure we have left. I won't speak for anyone else willing to kill, but I will bet money that Milk and his Special Forces friends didn't leave any Polish scientist who knew the secret alive, so I guess we know who would and did kill for it."

This message was last edited by the player at 12:42, Wed 04 Mar 2009.

Jason Kasparov
 player, 390 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Wed 4 Mar 2009
at 22:15
Re: Snow Patrol
In a lucid moment, Jason speaks to Anneka.  "Major, I'm c-c-cold.  In my pack... thermal fatigues, parka.  Hungry, too."
Jan Cerny
 player, 93 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 5 Mar 2009
at 01:58
Re: Snow Patrol
Listening to the report on the tracks and the apparent return of the men who had run off when they arrived mad Jan frown.
"It is not good that they have returned. We must make sure of the intentions and who they are. A  patrol with a radio might not attack us untill rienforcments arrive, and that would be most unpleaseant, no? Perhaps I should go and take a look to se what I can find out?"
Alexei Ondar
 player, 109 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Thu 5 Mar 2009
at 04:08
Re: Snow Patrol
Having completed routine field stripping and maintenance of the Plamya and his personal weapons, Ondar returns to the structure in time to catch word of both the return of the interlopers and the disappearance of the RESET documents.  His heart sinks at this latest development.

"I would have liked to see Montana," he sighs.  "But the Hauptmann is right. Should reconnoiter."

Ondar nods in the direction of the encampment on the outskirts of town.

"We go check it out.  Report back soon."

The Tuvan defector then sizes up Cerny.

"Legion, right?  Para?"



[Ondar]
Leaving post office
SVU-AS (10/10)
Beginning reconnoiter.

Jan Cerny
 player, 94 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 5 Mar 2009
at 04:33
Re: Snow Patrol
Alexei Ondar:
Ondar nods in the direction of the encampment on the outskirts of town.

"We go check it out.  Report back soon."

The Tuvan defector then sizes up Cerny.

"Legion, right?  Para?"


Gathering up his gear and walking with the Tuvan, Jan nods his head.
"Yes, Legion and that has been my role. I am thinking if we were to swing out and approace from the outskirts we might find a spot most suited to watching  these  men? We have radios and night gear sufficient to give the advantage, no?"
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 293 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 5 Mar 2009
at 14:09
Re: Snow Patrol
Dave grabs Jason's cold weather gear for him. As he covers up the wounded man, he says "Don't worry too much about that bullet. I had an uncle that took some schrapnel in Nam. He still had litlle pieces of metal working thier way out when he died in '95"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 369 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 6 Mar 2009
at 18:59
Re: Snow Patrol
Griet finished her rest after collecting the wood and then said to Bayer, "Sir, do you want me to start preventative maintenence on the vehicles or would you rather keep them ready to run until the patrol have scouted out our neighbours?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1154 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 7 Mar 2009
at 09:40
Re: Snow Patrol
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg #540):

"Griet, that's a great idea. Once I'm done with the mortar, I'll get on it. I could really use some help!"

He smiled to hide his grimace when he stood on his wounded leg.

"It's good for me to get around a little, keeps the leg from getting too stiff. On the farm, you can't take a day off unless you're dead!"
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1010 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Sat 7 Mar 2009
at 10:26
Re: Snow Patrol
Anneka ensured her charges were as comfortable as possible and eaten whatever they were capable of before taking her turn with sentry duty. Although her feildcraft skills has been improving, she knew that as much as she wanted to contribute more, scouting and patrolling was something best left to the experts.

"I'd like everyone capable of holding a weapon ready in case Jan and Alexi run into trouble." Scouting she might not be good at, but organising a reaction team she knew all about...
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1176 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 7 Mar 2009
at 17:19
Meeting the Neighbors

October 13
1400hrs.
30F
Heavy clouds; snow flurries
Approx. 30km south of Gora Kalwaria


Watched by a trio of wolves, Mariusz and Minh load their weapons* and gear aboard the Ural trike. After several attempts, Mariusz kickstarts the engine and, with some trepidation, the pair sets off to investigated Gora-Kalwaria.
For Mariusz especially, the journey is rather nerve-wracking. The two or three centimeters of snow on the road, in some spots covering ice, coupled with his lack of experience behind the handlebars of the motorbike makes for a challenging drive. But, despite his inexperience, Mariusz manages to keep the motorcycle on the road and moving steadily forward.

They pass another completely ruined village on the way. The road is empty, the landscape a barren, white table-top. If there is anyone living in the area, they are no doubt under shelter somewhere, huddled around a fire, or lying frozen under a burial shroud of snow. After passing though a patch of thick trees (a small wood, really), they emerge into the open to see, several hundred meters up ahead, a large crucifix standing over the road. A pale, waxy skinned man, clad only in a loincloth, hangs from the cross. Beyond the cross, hearth-smoke rises from distant buildings. They can smell the river. Comparing the roadmap and the odomter, Minh confirms that this is Gora-Kalwaria.

*OOC: I'm not sure what weapon Minh is using right now.

While David struggles to assemble the heavy mortar, Ondar and Cerny set off to investigate the house on the far side of the village where Adam saw fresh boot tracks earlier in the day. As the pair attempts to circle around from the direction least likely expected by the structure's secretive occupants, they are trailed by wolves. First two or three, then half a dozen, then what looks to be the entire pack begins hemming them in, circling steadily closer. They look hungry and their movements are bold, verging on aggressive. Running away is a poor option and Jan couldn't move very quickly with his wounded knee anyway. It looks as though the hunters have become the hunted. (They are still out of site of the stranger-occupied house).

Meanwhile, Anneka and Stoner continue to care for the seriously wounded, while the others rest and try to stay warm around the modest fire.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:32, Sat 14 Mar 2009.

Sam McCoy
 player, 201 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sat 7 Mar 2009
at 18:07
Re: Meeting the Neighbors
Sam will eat his sausage and then drink a little water when he wakes. He will then go back too sleep drawing in the warm fire and the wool blanket covered by his poncho. His pack as a head rest he floats back to sleep.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:07, Sat 07 Mar 2009.

Jan Cerny
 player, 96 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 7 Mar 2009
at 19:28
Re: Meeting the Neighbors
As they move through the snow Jan is careful of his footing, not wanting to further injure his knee. As he and Alexei move relatively silently through the woods first one and then the other notice the circling wolves with their growing numbers.
Coming to a stop he carefully slings his AK and pulls out his PM-84. Reaching into his pocket he pulls out the silencer and attaches it.
"It seems our friends here wish to stay for dinner. I am hoping we can discourage them without making the big noise. "

This message was last edited by the player at 19:29, Sat 07 Mar 2009.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 465 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 7 Mar 2009
at 20:17
SCOUTING
Mariusz made sure the trike was in cover and then used his binoculars to look out over the terrain. He pointed at the crucifix and said, "My father loved American War films, I swear he only learned English so he could understand them without subtitles. He had one called "The Big Red One". A crucifix like that plays a big part in it. It was used as a sniper post in the film and I'm betting that it's an OP now."

He stripped off his webbing and body armour and placed that and his WO regalia in the sidecar. He quickly added some masking tape to his boots to make them look poorer than they were and grabbed the sack he'd put a couple of magazines of ammo and a little food in. He picked up his AK and pulled his scarf over his head, "I'll go in from here. If I can scout out the area I'll get back here and report, I'll flash you some Morse reports as I go. If I'm caught I'll pose as a runnaway from the pirates. I'll try to signal you at midnight every night. If they treat me well they're probably kosher." he smiled impishly, "Of course, I don't intend to get caught."
Minh Quyen
 player, 364 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 8 Mar 2009
at 01:02
Re: SCOUTING
OOC - Quyen is armed with her regular AK74.

Quyen scans the large overbearing crucifix in the distance. She studies it with Bayer's loaned NVGs for a moment before speaking. "Yeah? I dunno." She hesitates and thinks for a while before giving in. "Alright. I'll keep watch for your signal. Remember what we were told though... getting back supersedes getting the information."

As Mariusz leaves she warms her hands on the still warm engine of the bike. First chance, and she'd be trading for warm clothing. After a few moments she gives the area a scan to ensure nobody is approaching her. They had tried to halt the bike into a concealed position, but she was on her own and would take no chances.

After she was comfortable her surroundings were clear, she watches Mariusz through the green, grainy world of the NVGs.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:02, Sun 08 Mar 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 911 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 8 Mar 2009
at 17:12
Re: SCOUTING
Bayer loiters around the fire. He keeps an ear on the radio, monitoring the two patrols and responding to their radio checks. While time passes he cleans his personal weapon, and chats about unimportant things with the others in the shelter.

After a while Bayer gears up and takes a turn on sentry. He ensures someone is monitoring the net before he leaves.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1155 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 8 Mar 2009
at 20:48
Meanwhile, back at the Village
Night had fallen, there wasn't much to do other than sleep.

It was too cold to move about outside, in the snow. The mortar was deployed, now covered and secure, and he'd done a few hours work on the trucks.

Now Dawid slept, rifle at his side. Ondar's radio was at the door, switched off for the night.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:30, Mon 09 Mar 2009.

Alexei Ondar
 player, 112 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Mon 9 Mar 2009
at 06:29
Re: Meeting the Neighbors
Distinctly aware of the circling wolves, Ondar slings his rifle and unholsters his PB/6P9 handgun and attaches its sound suppressor.  The nine milimeter fired not nearly as powerful a round as his rifle, but the weapon was certainly more discreet and less likely to alarm their neighbors.  The Tuvan sizes up the pack and selects as his primary target the wolf most likely to be the alpha male.



[Ondar]
Out on the town
PB/6P9 (8/8)
Reconnoitering.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 370 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 9 Mar 2009
at 09:30
Re: Meeting the Neighbors
After Griet had made herself useful around the camp and done some work on the vehicles, she slung her Tantal over her back and continued with the laundry, it would be good to get all the crap off before they had to wear them again. She kept a ear out for the call to support the patrol if they needed it.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1179 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 10 Mar 2009
at 02:19
New Kid In Town

While the others continue to rest and recuperate, unaware of the imminent danger to their comrades, Ondar and Cerny prepare to deal with the menacing approach of the wolves. Ondar takes aim at the apparent alpha-dog while Cerny targets another large, particularly aggressive wolf. Ondar fires two rounds, hitting the leader in the hindquarters. As the leader yelps in anguish, Cerny fires a three round burst into the head and chest of the second in command, dropping it to the snowy ground where steam from its spilled blood rises into the freezing air. Whining, the alpha-dog pulls away, hopping awkardly, its shattered back leg hanging at a grotesque angle. Spooked by the sound of their leader's pain and the scent of their own kind's blood, the other wolves scatter in all directions, confused and afraid. Ondar and Cerny are now alone. They continue on towards their target, as described by Adam and Griet.

They creep to within 200m meters of the house, taking cover among the snow-covered ruins of a another house across the road from it. There, they settle in to watch, doing their best to stay warm and relatively comfortable. It is an almost impossible task. After about two hours, a man emerges from the target house and drops his trousers to urinate against its wall. He's clad in filthy, faded West German fatigues, an AK-74 slung across his back. After a few shakes, he heads back inside. Given his casual demeanor, it's unlikely that he or any of his comrades are aware they are being watched. In all likelihood, these are the same men who fled when the party first arrived in the village.

Meanwhile, outside of Gora-Kalwaria, Mariusz begins to approach the town on foot, leaving Minh alone to guard the Ural trike. On the relatively flat, open, and snow-covered terrain, it's almost impossible to stay concealed, especially since Mariusz doesn't have the appropriate camoflage for the prevailing conditions. He continues on regardless, determined to learn if the travelling merchant's tales were true. As he nears the large crucifix, he sees with some relief that the nearly naked man transfixed thereon is but a well crafted wooden statue. At the Christ's feet is a sign that reads (in Polish)

"Come thou in peace lest the Righteous Sword of Christ smite thee from the earth."

Several hundred meters beyond the cross, Mariusz can make out a tall, man-made structure, the nearest of several buildings visible from this distance- a building, once ruined, and now crudely rebuilt to form a kind of watchtower. A glint of sunlight suggests that the tower is occupied and that Mariusz is being watched. As Mariusz lingers, plotting his next move, a quartet of horsemen ride out of the town and towards him. Two of the riders appear to be carrying lances. As the four horsemen gallop closer, Mariusz can see that they all carry guns as well. Mariusz realizes that it is futile to try and make it back to the motorcycle so he waits patiently. Within a couple of minutes the riders arrive. Pulling to a halt, the lancer's level their polearms at Mariusz while the other horsemen do likewise with their rifles.* After a few tense seconds, one of the riders speaks,

"Who are you and what business have you with the good people of Gora-Kalwaria."

Next Moves?

*Minh sees all of this from a distance.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:29, Tue 10 Mar 2009.

Sam McCoy
 player, 202 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Tue 10 Mar 2009
at 04:22
Re: New Kid In Town
sam blissfully sleeps away the pain in his arm and recovers more. as stated before every 8 hours he wakes cleans wound,eats whats there and drinks whats there.



sam
m25
sleep

This message was last edited by the player at 04:24, Tue 10 Mar 2009.

Minh Quyen
 player, 366 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 10 Mar 2009
at 08:50
Re: New Kid In Town
Quyen depresses the transmit button on the radio. Her hands are gloved, but the task is still uncomfortable. "Sunray, this is Watchdog. Radio check. The cook has made contact with some customers at the restaurant. Ok so far. Over."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 466 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 10 Mar 2009
at 09:37
Re: New Kid In Town
Mariusz looked up at the patrol and smiled, making sure his hands were empty and clearly in sight. His mind raced, if he pretended to be a runnaway and these people were good, he'd have to tell them he'd lied later and maybe lose their trust. Honesty might not be the best policy, but it might be the only sensible one to follow.

He kept eye contact with the man who'd spoken to him and said, "I'm a forward scout for a convoy set up by Adam Rataj, you may know him, he was a river trader. He recently formed a group to try to get to Warsaw in order to rescue his family. We made it along the river for some way before we were attacked one too many times and we abandoned the boat to try to get to Warsaw overland. Our convoy is sheletered back down the road, we would like to visit your town and trade, we have a few small arms and quite a bit of ammo and we were led to believe you might be in the market for such goods. I believe that Adam would like to trade that for food we could use to help his family if we get to Warsaw."

He paused and smiled, "I was sent forward to see if it was safe. I've seen you're well organised and security minded and that it was best to approach you directly rather than sneak around like a thief. Do you think we might come to some arrangement?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1182 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 10 Mar 2009
at 23:00
Re: New Kid In Town

The horsemen look back and forth between each other and Mariusz. The leader of the squad looks bemused, unsure of whether to trust the unusually forthcoming stranger. After a few seconds, he speaks,

"Who exactly led you to believe that we were in the market for guns and ammo?"

Mariusz continued, keeping the same forthright tack,

"A merchant by the name of Jupyzyk. He said to tell you that Cleopatra approved."

The riders exchanged knowing looks.

"He's well? When did you see him last?"

"We broke fast with him this morning at a litte ruined village not too far from here. They had to stop and seek shelter due to the rain storm yesterday. He and his caravan left for Kozienice after breakfast."

"Well then, tell your friends that they are welcome to trade here in Gora Kalwaria. They must stop here, at the crucifix, and we will come out to meet them. If everything is on the up and up, you and your friends might be allowed to enter the town. If you proceed past this cross without stopping we will consider it a hostile act and respond in kind. Understood?"

"Yes, sir. I will relay your instructions and we will be back, either later today or early tomorrow. We will stop here at the cross."

"Good. We will be waiting for you."

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:38, Wed 11 Mar 2009.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1159 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 11 Mar 2009
at 09:25
Re: New Kid In Town
Dawid got up to piss in the night. Slinging his rifle and clicking on his hand torch, he stumped outside into the predawn darkness to relieve himself. Once back inside, he heard Ondar's radio by the door squawked.

He grabbed the radio handset. "Eagle calling Watchdog, I am receiving you clearly. It is good to hear." He let go the PTT button, waiting for any response.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:27, Wed 11 Mar 2009.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 467 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 11 Mar 2009
at 18:06
Re: New Kid In Town
As soon as he was dismissed from the meeting, Mariusz returned to the trike. He looked at Mihn and said, "I got found but the locals seem friendly, cautious but friendly. They're willing to trade, but they want us to stop by the cross and wit for them to come out. I think we should radio in and then head back. What do you think?"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 371 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 11 Mar 2009
at 18:09
Re: New Kid In Town
After doing the laundry as best she could, Griet set the clothes to dry and finished of her personal kit maintainence. She then either slept or stood her watch depending on what the Kaptain had decided.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 587 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 11 Mar 2009
at 21:29
Re: New Kid In Town
Tucker will continue to rest as much as possible and stand a watch when he is needed to.  Rest and getting back to good health is his top priority right now along with filling in where needed.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 297 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 12 Mar 2009
at 02:12
Re: New Kid In Town
Dave scrounges around the ruins until he finds an empty soda can. He uses the butterfly knife he took of a dead body ages ago and carefully cut the ends off and trimmed it until he has a pocket sized rectangle. Then he sits by the fire and uses cold ashes to polish the inside of the aluminum until it has a mirror finish.

Holding it up to his face he mutters "Damn, you're a handsome devil." He then uses it to get a good look at the furrow the bullet left on the left side of his forehead. "Not too bad" he says as he re-bandages it.

Pocketing his new mirror, Dave walks over to "offficer country", where Anneka and Konrad huddle around the radio. "What's the word? We headed out to this so called friendly town soon? Might not be a bad idea, get out of the weather, maybe find some info about Warsaw..."
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1014 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Thu 12 Mar 2009
at 02:45
Re: New Kid In Town
"I could have done that for you," Anneka said tenderly when she saw the fresh dressing on Stoner's head, her delicate hand reaching out to brush it gently.
"At the moment we're just waiting on Mariusz and Minh's report. Once they radio in, we'll know what to do next."
"Currently, I'm leaning toward moving on as soon as we can. If they say the town is friendly, then that'd have to be a better place to rest up than this hovel."

Minh Quyen
 player, 367 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 12 Mar 2009
at 08:59
Re: New Kid In Town
Mariusz Tokarski:
As soon as he was dismissed from the meeting, Mariusz returned to the trike. He looked at Mihn and said, "I got found but the locals seem friendly, cautious but friendly. They're willing to trade, but they want us to stop by the cross and wit for them to come out. I think we should radio in and then head back. What do you think?"


"I agree." Quyen replies. Digging out the radio she says into the mic, "Sunray, Watchdog. Message. Contact established with local militia. They say we can enter and do business. We can RV with you and guide you into their meeting point. What are your orders? Over."

While she waits for a reply she says, "Well done. I'm glad I didn't have to Steve McQueen my way across on this thing to rescue you."
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1015 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Thu 12 Mar 2009
at 11:10
Re: New Kid In Town
"This is Starlight. Acknowledged contact. Wait. Out."

"Hauptman,"
she said quietly to Konrad while Stoner was still well within hearing.
"I see little gain in having them come back on icy roads. We should pack up and leave immediately."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 913 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 12 Mar 2009
at 11:43
Re: New Kid In Town
Bayer comes in from his sentry and warms himself by the small fire. When told of the patrol's report he nods affirmatively.

Anneka Soleblume:
"Hauptman," she said quietly to Konrad while Stoner was still well within hearing. "I see little gain in having them come back on icy roads. We should pack up and leave immediately."


"Ja... no need for them at all. Please pass it on to the patrol to hold their position. Will radio them when we get close for the linkup."

He then addresses the group, "Attention... notice to move. Perimeter sentries to remain in place until we are departing. Radio Jan and Ondar for them to pull it in. Ensure nothing is left behind. Let's go."

This message was last edited by the player at 11:44, Thu 12 Mar 2009.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1017 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Thu 12 Mar 2009
at 12:59
Mount up!
"Watchdog, this is Starlight. Stay in position, we are coming to you. ETA one hour. Out."
"Sentries, this is Starlight. Warning order. Ten minutes to move. Out."

Radio messages sent, Anneka gathered her belongings and equipment before reviewing her notes and shuffling the seating around as required.

"Jan, will be driving the T-H."
"Adam & Walter, I want you two in the truck cab, one driving. Jason, you join them."
"Dawid, truck weapons assisted by myself and Griet."
"Tucker and Stoner, T-H weapons as before."
"Everyone else,"
which was Alexei, Konrad and McCoy, "In the back of the T-H."

"I want the 119 set in with you Jason. Hauptman, would you please rely on Ondar's radio for long range comms, and I want one of you men,"
she continued, staring directly at Tucker, "To lend their hand radio to me for the back of the truck."

That was seating and comms out of the way...
Sam McCoy
 player, 203 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Thu 12 Mar 2009
at 17:27
Re: Mount up!
Sam gets up with out a word packs his gear and moves to the truck. Takes a seat in the back and awaits the convoy moving out.



sam
m25
back seat of t-h
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 588 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 12 Mar 2009
at 22:26
Re: Mount up!
Anneka Soleblume:
Radio messages sent, Anneka gathered her belongings and equipment before reviewing her notes and shuffling the seating around as required.

"Jan, will be driving the T-H."
"Adam & Walter, I want you two in the truck cab, one driving. Jason, you join them."
"Dawid, truck weapons assisted by myself and Griet."
"Tucker and Stoner, T-H weapons as before."
"Everyone else,"
which was Alexei, Konrad and McCoy, "In the back of the T-H."

"I want the 119 set in with you Jason. Hauptman, would you please rely on Ondar's radio for long range comms, and I want one of you men,"
she continued, staring directly at Tucker, "To lend their hand radio to me for the back of the truck."

That was seating and comms out of the way...
Tucker braces himself as he tries to favor his injured arm when getting up and packing up his gear.  If no one helps him (and that's ok), he will take his time and pack up all of his stuff and stow it on the T-H where he was before.

When hearing about how Anneka wants his hand radio, Tucker just smiles and shakes his head as he reaches into his gear to get it for her.  Robert hands her the radio and tells her (probably sarcastically), "Wow, that was fucken subtle Major!  Barely knew you were talking to me."  With his gear stowed and seating assignments assigned, Tucker mans his post after putting on his body armor and just putting on his Colt Python in its shoulder holster and spare speed loaders.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1019 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Thu 12 Mar 2009
at 23:10
Re: Mount up!
"Yours or Jan's" she said with a smile and a shrug.
"And he's out on sentry."
The only other short range radio they had was Konrads, and there was no way he should give it up.

"We're going to reorganise some stores before we move out," she declared to all in earshot.
"Once your personal gear is packed away, report to me."

Assigning seating, organising comms and arranging loads was really a NCO's job, but one she'd gladly taken on herself. Without the burden of direct command, that having gone to Hauptman Bayer, and no hospital to attend to, it was probably the best use of her adminitrative skills.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 589 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 13 Mar 2009
at 00:38
Re: Mount up!
Anneka Soleblume:
"Yours or Jan's" she said with a smile and a shrug.
"And he's out on sentry."
The only other short range radio they had was Konrads, and there was no way he should give it up.

"We're going to reorganise some stores before we move out," she declared to all in earshot.
"Once your personal gear is packed away, report to me."
"Don't worry about it Major.  I'll be fine without it.  I'll get by," Robert tells Anneka as he reports to her after his gear is stowed away on the T-H.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1160 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 13 Mar 2009
at 08:14
Re: Mount up!
"Mount up? After making this such a comfortable hovel? With great pleasure!"

He offered his expert opinion on the disposition of the heaviest weapon.

"We don't seem to be followed, so the fuel tank can be in the rear. Hook up the Mortar behind the Tarpan Honker. It can be set it up quickly that way."

Instead of waiting for someone to do this, he gets Adam and Walter to hook up the mortar and trailer as he indicated. As well, he made sure a radio (either the PRC-110 or Ondar's backpack radio) was available to receive fire mission requests.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:37, Sat 14 Mar 2009.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 299 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 13 Mar 2009
at 21:54
Re: New Kid In Town
Anneka Soleblume:
"I could have done that for you," Anneka said tenderly when she saw the fresh dressing on Stoner's head, her delicate hand reaching out to brush it gently.
</blue>


"I wanted to see what it looked like. Too bad it's such an obvious bullet wound, it would have made a perfect dueling scar."
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 300 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 13 Mar 2009
at 21:57
Re: Mount up!
Anneka Soleblume:
"We're going to reorganise some stores before we move out," she declared to all in earshot.
"Once your personal gear is packed away, report to me."


Dave tosses his blanket roll and rifle in the passenger side of the truck and picks up the bulky machine gun. "Ready" He says with raised eyebrows.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 301 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 13 Mar 2009
at 22:00
Re: Mount up!
Dave looks over at Tucker, making sure the man is mobile and up to moving gear about. "Tuck, you going to be able to hande that hog?" he asks, nodding at the automatic grenade launcher
Jason Kasparov
 player, 391 posts
 Warrant Officer 1
 U.S. Army Blackhawk Pilot
Sat 14 Mar 2009
at 00:59
Re: Mount up!
Moving around as little as possible, Jason retrieves his freshly-laundered fatigues and flight suit from Griet and packs them away in his rucksack.  With the assistance of Walter, he stows his gear at the forward bed of the Star and climbs (or is boosted) into the cab.  The safed Austeyr is handed up, and is leaned against the front of the seat next to his left leg.  The effort is quite exhausting, and he sits back and closes his eyes against the pain.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 372 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 14 Mar 2009
at 07:56
Re: Mount up!
Griet ensured that everyone had their gear back and then packed up her own things. She shouldered her rifle and stowed her pack on the truck. After that she moved over to the Major and said, "What task do you want me to perform before we head off?"
Sam McCoy
 player, 204 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sat 14 Mar 2009
at 07:58
Re: Mount up!
Sam sits in the truck waiting.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:21, Sat 14 Mar 2009.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 468 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 14 Mar 2009
at 07:58
Re: Mount up!
Mariusz looked around him to see if there was anywhere they could shelter for the time it would take the rest to reach them. He asked Mihn, "Should we wait here or try to find some shelter? It's going to be a cold wait."
Jan Cerny
 player, 97 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 14 Mar 2009
at 14:59
Re: Mount up!
Once the call to return comes through Jan makes sure Alexie has also heard it and then beguins ghosting his way back towards the group. Once they are far enough away from the strangers that there is no fear of being overheard he speaks in a low voice.

"The men we watch, the seem to be deserters, yes? At the least, and perhaps marauders as well. Though some maight say the same of us, no? Ah well, it seems I am fated to play le chauffeur, so such matters must be left for later."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:24, Sat 14 Mar 2009.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1186 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 14 Mar 2009
at 20:23
The Welcome Wagon

October 13
1600hrs.
30F
Scattered clouds
Gora Kalwaria town limits


The scouting team returns to the post office with the small deserter/marauder apparently none the wiser for their having been under observation. The rest of the party is well on their way to loading the vehicles. As the team piles aboard, the drivers attempt to start the engines. It takes several tries to get the STAR to turn over and a few more than that to get the Tarpan-Honker going.

The group pulls away from their shelter of the past 24+ hours and heads west to the main road, bidding a not-so-fond farewell to the anonymous, ruined village.

The convoy heads north towards the rendezvouz with Mariusz and Minh, keeping a cautious pace due to the icy, snow covered road. The preceding Ural trike's thin twin tracks can't still be faintly seen in the snow. In a little over an hour, the large crucifix comes into view up ahead and then Stoner spots the Ural trike parked in a shallow depression besides the road. The two groups reunite and proceed towards the appointed meeting point with the Gora-Kalwaria delegation. Before they arrive at the cross, the horsemen are seen approaching from the opposite direction. The convoy parks and awaits the arrival of the slower riders. The town greeters reign their mounts in the shadow of the dying Christ and the spokesman greets the party in a curt, slightly suspicious fashion.

"Good afternoon. What business do you have with the good people of Gora Kalwaria?"

Anneka speaks for the group.

"We'd simply like to trade and perhaps spend the night. We'll pay for the lodgings, of course. Beyond that, it's possible that our interests- yours and ours- coincide. We hear that you're having trouble with some river pirates and we need to cross the river. Perhaps we could help each other out."

"Ahem. Trading, we're interested in. We'll see about the rest. You're NATO? The man seems confused by the strange mix of the party's uniforms, weapons, and languages.

"Yes, most of us. We're lawful combatants, anyway. We're certainly not bandits if that's what you're worried about."

"Wouldn't you be?" It's hard to argue with the man's point.

"Yes, of course."

The spokesman's brows crease as he carefully and thoughtfully studies the group once again.

"Alright, you must unload all of your weapons. All of them- your personal weapons and the bigger guns. Follow us in to town and stay behind us. If this is some kind of Trojan horse gambit, there will be blood- and most of it will be yours, I assure you. These rules are non-negotiable. Will you abide by them?"

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:25, Sat 14 Mar 2009.

Sam McCoy
 player, 205 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sat 14 Mar 2009
at 22:44
Re: The Welcome Wagon
After 36 hours of sleep, Sam feels good but not great. The pain in his arm is still very there. He sits in the back of the truck waiting. He will go with the Captain's choice and he will follow him.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:47, Sat 14 Mar 2009.

Minh Quyen
 player, 368 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 15 Mar 2009
at 06:21
Re: The Welcome Wagon
Quyen radios the group from the small copse of trees she and Mariusz took shelter in. She guides them into a meeting point, and ensures they don't cross the community's border. When they link up, she returns the Hauptmann's NVG's and gives a brief patrol report.

When the group is approached by the security/envoys, she stands off to the side keeping en eye on their distant surroundings.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1162 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 15 Mar 2009
at 08:54
Re: The Welcome Wagon
Cap'n Rae:
The spokesman's brows crease as he carefully and thoughtfully studies the group once again.

"Alright, you must unload all of your weapons. All of them- your personal weapons and the bigger guns. Follow us in to town and stay behind us. If this is some kind of Trojan horse gambit, there will be blood- and most of it will be yours, I assure you. These rules are non-negotiable. Will you abide by them?"

Next Moves?


He rubbed his shaved face, then took his rosary from around his neck and wrapped it around his hand. Dawid unloaded his Tantal and took his Stechkin out, laying them on the seat. He then stepped down stiffly onto the road. He made sure he had his Polish flag armband displayed, and displayed his open hands, rosary displayed.

"Excuse me sir, I am Plutunowy Dawid Piotrowski, I serve God and Poland. As you can see, I also serve with the Home Army. I can attest my comrades will keep their side of the bargain if they agree to enter your town. We come in peace."

"I come looking for my sister, Urzula, perhaps you have heard of her? Doctor Piotrowski? She was in Warszawa?"


He leaned up against the side of the truck, using the cold metal as support and for balance.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 469 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 15 Mar 2009
at 16:41
Re: The Welcome Wagon
Mariusz breathed a sigh of relief as the rest of the group appeared. he relaxed a little and waited to see how events would unfold.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 373 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 15 Mar 2009
at 16:43
Re: The Welcome Wagon
Griet snuggled down further in the nest that she'd made on the back of the guntruck. Others could do the talking for now, she was less tired than she had been and starting to feel human again, but everyone was being polite and careful so there was no point muddying the waters with too many voices. She listened carefully and pulled her scarf further over her face.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 914 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 15 Mar 2009
at 17:22
Re: The Welcome Wagon
Bayer nods and calls back to the group, "Unload your weapons." This was nothing new. Many communities had such entry regulations. Slinging his unloaded rifle, he waves forward the doctor and Adam. He didn't speak Polish and figured they'd also do better at gaining entry and trade than an officer of the German Army.

<