Ch. 13: Kozienice.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 356 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 1 Feb 2009
at 14:35
Re: Making a Break
Griet came alongside Anneka and breathed in harshly, "We may be screwed...too many down... too many enemy."

She breathed in again, "Let me... try this...I'll take the RESET papers and some grenades...offer to turn them over if they let all of you go...blow them up otherwise...you take the films and get them back to the US...US will still benefit...I'll try to make sure Soviets don't..."
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 958 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 00:43
Re: Making a Break
Anneka's reply was a simple, panted, "No."
Right now they didn't really know what the situation really was. Since leaving the truck a minute or more before, they'd had no indication of what was going on besides the sounds of gunfire and whisps of smoke wafting through the distant trees.
For all Anneka, Griet, Walter and McCoy knew, they were winning, driving the remnants of the enemy away and only required the rest of the unit to help in the mopping up and salvage.
Very few knew that Milk was dead and most others wounded in some way, not even some of those directly engaged, so busy were they dodging incoming bullets and trying to keep their own heads intact.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 888 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 00:56
Re: Making a Break
Bayer waits until he hears the covering fire from Quyen and Ondar. Then he rolls to the side and rises. Moving in tandem with Stoner, he swings around and fires a short burst towards the enemy. He runs to the side to make himself slightly more difficult to hit. Once down he yells to the pair covering his fireteam, "Covering. Go!"

Bayer
Moving back
G36 (17/30)

This message was last edited by the player at 03:15, Mon 02 Feb 2009.

Alexei Ondar
 player, 95 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 05:37
Re: Making a Break
Ondar quickly surveys the tactical situation.  As Bayer initiates covering fire, the Tuvan defector cuts to the northwest in an attempt to break contact.



[Ondar]
Left flank of ambush line
SVU-AS (5/10)
Withdrawing

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1123 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 07:54
Re: Making a Break
Taking the AK-74 and leaning on the barrel, using the butt as a crutch, Dawid hopped back to the motorcycle. Once there, he treated his injury using his 1st Aid kit to staunch the bleeding and tying off a tourniquet on his leg if necessary.
Minh Quyen
 player, 352 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 14:32
Re: Making a Break
Quyen dashes on, putting more distance between her and the enemy, and hopefully the flanking troops. She cuts through the underbrush and tears past leafless trees with claw and reach out for her. She stumbles over a small log/branch hidden under a layer of dead leaves, but keeps her balance. As her bound comes to a close her eyes dart around for a new fighting position.

Rounding a good size tree and pops out on the other side, rifle ready. The wound taken earlier was already forgotten - at least for the moment. Leveling her rifle she looks past her teammates as they withdraw. Selecting a target she aims.

Quyen
Getting into prone firing position/aiming

Konrad Bayer
 player, 889 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 15:22
Re: Making a Break
Bayer won't make another bound until he's sure of two things - the other fireteam is covering him and Stoner, and he's the last (alive) to leave. Selecting another target he fires a trio of rounds. He tries to push his feelings for the loss of Milk out of his mind and concentrate on the situation. It was hard. Milk was a loyal and dedicated NCO to this odd river endeavor. He'd defused problems and helped him with his own jobs at hand. He would be surely missed.

Snapping his mind back into reality, he yells into his radio, "Mariusz! Where's that machinegun? We're falling back under heavy pressure."

Bayer
Covering with 3 quick shots
G36 (12/30)

This message was last edited by the player at 15:23, Mon 02 Feb 2009.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 448 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 19:39
Re: Making a Break
Mariusz reported his position and added, "I'm pinned down by enemy fire and blinded by smoke, if I move anywhere but directly back I'm dead. Dawid is wounded and I've sent him back to the trike. Once he's there I'll retreat to him and we'll be mobile again. Unless you have other orders, Sir."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 357 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 19:42
Re: Making a Break
Griet shook her head at Anneka's reply. If the ambush was still going on, their side was in trouble, any other assesment was folly. The weight of fire was obviously on the other side and that would eventually shred them. A radical solution was needed, rolling the dice was all they could hope for and throwing a wounded man and three exhausted non-combatants into the fray didn't seem to be the answer to Griet.

Still, the Major was giving the orders, she'd thrown out every suggestion Griet had made, all she could do now was play out the hand.

"What next then, Sir?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1124 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 2 Feb 2009
at 21:42
Re: Making a Break
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #399):

Dawid stopped what he was doing to answer Konrad.

"Konrad, this is Dawid. Please note I have a radio, so you may feel free to address me directly. We got ambushed before we could get into position and I'm wounded, so we're withdrawing."

He was annoyed, not by Korad but mostly by getting bushwhacked and the growing throbbing in his leg.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:01, Mon 02 Feb 2009.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1133 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 3 Feb 2009
at 02:35
Breaking Away

Tarpan-Honker

Tucker [NPC'ed] slumps into the bed of the Tarpan-Honker, blood pulsing out of his wounded bicep. Jan takes over the AGS and sends a barrage of grenades into the green smoke. Heedless of the dim hope of resupply, he sweeps the AGS back and forth, spraying the 180 degree arc to his front with dozens of 30mm HE. He's firing blind, counting on quantity rather than quality to decide the fight.

Mariusz, meanwhile, expends another 30-round magazine as he does likewise. 5.45mm rounds flash downrange, tearing little eddies through the thick green curtain wall. Enemy fire dies down as the enemy squad burrow into the ground and/or hug nearby trees for cover. Raw firepower, as opposed to precision fire, has provided the team with a chance to break contact.

Dawid makes it back to the trike, defying the odds by covering the last several meters more or less upright.

Ambush Team

The ambush team leapfrogs to the northwest by pairs, Minh and Ondar rushing ahead while Konrad and Stoner provide cover fire and vice-versa. They pass within a few meters of the far right (their left, or west) of the enemy's line, strewn with a crooked row of dead and dying Polish infantrymen. One foolhardy soul raises his rifle at the passing pair and Konrad pauses long enough to kill him with a short burst of fire delivered at near point-blank range.

Bullets from the east continue to search for the fleeing ambush team, finding only the trees and the tracks they've left behind them. The team realizes that it is only a matter of time before at least a dozen enemy infantrymen, no longer dissuaded by Stoner's suppressive fire, assault across the road into their freshly vacated positions. With this in mind, Milk's lifeless body is left where it fell, the badly bloodied enemy's only measure of solace.

Rescue Team

Sam, Anneka, Griet, and Walter arrive on scene to find both Tucker and Dawid wounded. A golden opportunity to pull back has presented itself and they all know it may not come around a second time.

Gun-Truck

Jason, his leg aching fiercely, tries his best to wait patiently as the sounds of the battle ebb and flow in their sonic fury.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:55, Tue 03 Feb 2009.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 960 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Tue 3 Feb 2009
at 04:36
Re: Breaking Away
Breathing heavily and barely able to stay upright, Anneka nevertheless knew it was her responsibilty to give guidance to those under her comand.
"Take up defensive positions," she panted, leaning heavily on the vehicle and trying to catch her breath.
"We'll try and get the ambush group to join us here and then drive out."
A few more snatched lungfulls of air and she felt, just, able to move again. Slipping a little on blood, she entered the T-H to treat Tuckers obvious wound to his arm.

Using Tuckers Personal medikit

This message was last edited by the player at 01:09, Wed 04 Feb 2009.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 358 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 3 Feb 2009
at 08:08
Re: Breaking Away
"Aye, aye, Sir." Griet replied and moved into cover, ready to provide support to anyone coming down the road.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 449 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 3 Feb 2009
at 08:08
Re: Breaking Away
Once Dawid was at the trike, Mariusz began to crawl back toward him.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 569 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 3 Feb 2009
at 14:35
Re: Breaking Away
Cap'n Rae:
Tarpan-Honker

Tucker [NPC'ed] slumps into the bed of the Tarpan-Honker, blood pulsing out of his wounded bicep. Jan takes over the AGS and sends a barrage of grenades into the green smoke. Heedless of the dim hope of resupply, he sweeps the AGS back and forth, spraying the 180 degree arc to his front with dozens of 30mm HE. He's firing blind, counting on quantity rather than quality to decide the fight.
Actions?
As tucker is hit and slumps back into the bed of the T-H he's stunned from the impact of the round hitting him (explains and apologizes for my not posting last round) and he hears Jan call out to him and watches as he jumps over him to man the grenade launcher.  He tries to sit up and steady himself as he reaches for the radio to call Konrad.  "S-Sunray, Knife.  We need to di-di n-now!   Don't, don't know how much longer we c-can cover your move.  You copy?"

Within a few short minutes (or minute) Tucker knows that this hit to his other arm is more serious than the graze he just received before they turned around to go back and cover for Konrad and the rest of the ambush team.  He looks up to see Anneka standing over him and he gives her a little smile/grin, "What tha fuck took you guys s-so long?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 891 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 3 Feb 2009
at 15:32
Re: Making a Break
Bayer raced through the forest, occasionally stopping to ensure the four in his group are not being closely pursued. He also kept at the rear as Stoner needed to be watched, he was still a casualty and was also lugging the GPMG.

Shouting forward he alerts Quyen and Ondar in the lead, "Keep going... right back to the vehicles."

His radio crackles to life with Mariusz and Dawid's voices...

Mariusz Tokarski:
"I'm pinned down by enemy fire and blinded by smoke, if I move anywhere but directly back I'm dead. Dawid is wounded and I've sent him back to the trike. Once he's there I'll retreat to him and we'll be mobile again. Unless you have other orders, Sir."


Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Konrad, this is Dawid. Please note I have a radio, so you may feel free to address me directly. We got ambushed before we could get into position and I'm wounded, so we're withdrawing."


"Sunray roger. Am withdrawing under pressure. RV at the vehicles." he says between heavy breaths.

Then Robert's voice came over the net.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
<Green>"S-Sunray, Knife.  We need to di-di n-now!   Don't, don't know how much longer we c-can cover your move.  You copy?"</Green


"Copy. Don't worry about us. Get back to the group."

Again he stopped and looked back, scanning with his rifle ready for any pursuers.

-Intended future action - deploy Ondar and Quyen (Bayer doesn't know she's wounded) as outer perimeter as everyone gets sorted out and loaded aboard. Once the vehicles can move he'll signal them in and be the last to board once he's sure a head count covers everyone.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 570 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 3 Feb 2009
at 22:11
Re: Making a Break
Konrad Bayer:
Then Robert's voice came over the net.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
"S-Sunray, Knife.  We need to di-di n-now!   Don't, don't know how much longer we c-can cover your move.  You copy?"


"Copy. Don't worry about us. Get back to the group."
Tucker keys the radio again and replies, "Knife c-copies and that's a n-negative Sunray.  We wait f-for you.  D-Don't keep us waitin' too long.  Knife out."  Turner turns to Jan next, "J-Jan!  Keep up the fire!  They're c-comin',"

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:40, Tue 03 Feb 2009.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 276 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 4 Feb 2009
at 04:21
Re: Making a Break
Dave carries the machinegune during the bound portion of the evolution and firing his AK during the covering portion.

During one of the short mad dashes to cover he yells at Konrad "Run away, run away! Ahh well, beats being preforated!"

If they make it back to the rest of the group, he'll assist in treating the wounded, or providing firepowre as needed.
Sam McCoy
 player, 192 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Thu 5 Feb 2009
at 00:53
Re: Making a Break
Sam will post up on the left side of the road behind a long coving the enemys approach. he will fire at targets of oppertunity.




sam
m25
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1138 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 00:22
Kilroy Was Here

The ambush team continues towards the northwest, now dispensing with the bounding overwatch, all four running at once. Ondar badly wanted to return for Milk's body, but the sound of a truck approaching from the south, along with an exploding barrage of Polish rifle grenades from the east, convinces him that discretion truly is the better part of valor. Somehow, the grizzled Tuvan warrior knows his African-American counterpart would have wanted the rest of the team to escape, rather than risk death or capture to recover the empty husk of his now lifeless corpse. Spurred on by the buzz of bullets passing low overhead, the group makes their best speed; a few hundred meters away from the battle site, Konrad leads the ambush team back towards the road.

The Tarpan-Honker is waiting for them. Mariusz, exhausted but unwounded, is at the wheel. Jan, wide-eyed, covers the rear with the AGS-17. Anneka is treating Tucker's badly wounded arm on the floor at the bottom of the truck bed beside Jan while Griet tries to stay alert in the passenger seat. The ambush team piles aboard the Polish jeep, making room where they can, and the group heads north up the road.

They arrive at the STAR a few minutes behind Dawid (driver) and Sam (passenger), who'd forged on ahead aboard the Ural trike. The reunited team takes a few minutes to reorganize and then, with the trike on point, the jeep in the center, and the gun-truck following up at the rear, they head out north on the dirt road.

The road leaves the trees and emerges into an open pasture, curving slowly east towards the main north-south road between Kozienice and Gora Kalwaria. There are a few seconds of marked alarm as the group spots a lone BTR on the highway, a few hundred meters ahead. In the growing light of morning, they quickly realize that the BTR is a derelict, soot-stained and streaked with rust, its tires burned away to expose naked, mishapen rims sunken into the soft earth of the road's eastern shoulder.

The second thing that catches the group's attention is a small, badly shot-up building set near the intersection of the dirt road and the paved highway. The party can see the rising sun shining through the myriad, jagged holes through its concrete walls. It looks like it used to be some kind of pre-war traffic checkpoint or ranger station, tasked, most likely, with keeping wayward civilian traffic off of the forest access road the party has been travelling -and fighting- on for the past couple of hours.

A small team dismounts a few hundred meters from the guardhouse/BTR to clear the area before the vehicles proceed past and onto the highway. The clearing team comes upon a large, hand-painted sign just south of the small, empty building. It faces south and reads (in Polish),

Warning! Now leaving government-controlled area. Proceed at your own risk.

The sign is embellished with a couple-dozen bullet holes and a crude graffiti of a cartoon man peeking over a ledge at the viewer with "Gdzie jest Józef Tkaczuk?" scrawled beside it. Even smaller, in permanent marker, someone has added, in English,

Good luck. You're on your own.

Looking south, down the highway, towards Kozienice, the group can see the distant, twisted spires of the badly damaged power plant, portruding above the trees.

Everyone in the group- at least though not too distracted by the pain of their wounds- feels as though they are being watched from the trees near where the highway emerges into the open field. Through binoculars, one can see a low earthen fortification flanking the road, about 700m distant. Movement among the mounds suggests that it is occupied. Not pausing to study it any longer, the convoy pulls onto the highway and begins travelling north, towards the town of Gora Kalwaria, a renowned pilgramage site and the largest settlement on the Vistula between Kozeniece and Warsaw.

They leave not a moment too soon, as a mortar round explodes not far from the lonely checkpoint building behind them.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:40, Fri 06 Feb 2009.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 965 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 00:34
Re: Kilroy Was Here
Utterly drained, it was all Anneka could do to keep her eyes open as she focused on treating the wounded in the back of the bumpy T-H. For now all she could really do though was apply bandages, hand out painkillers and provide antibiotics. Anything more demanding, like removing the bullet from Jason's wound, would have to wait until they'd found someplace to stop and sleep most of the day.
"Don't forget to reload mags," she said, fatigue causing her words to slur. The reminder was probably unnecessary though since nearly all in the vehicle with her were combat veterans.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1127 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 01:58
Re: Kilroy Was Here
Dawid couldn't pretend he had much left to give. They made it out of the latest tight spot, and he was thankful for the tenacity and resourcefulness of his comrades that allowed them all to overcome all adversity.

Still, Milk had paid the price, his body left behind to be recovered by the government forces.

Dawid tried to keep the unwanted hilarity out of his voice, a normal reaction to his after combat. "Lovely day for a ride, eh?" His hands started to shake from the draining away of adrenaline and he gripped the handlebars harder. Not just combat, but the injury to his rapidly-stiffening leg. Luckily, on a motorcycle you only need your right leg for the rear brake, which was always far less used for braking than the front.
Minh Quyen
 player, 354 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 13:36
Re: Kilroy Was Here
Quyen stows the RPG and sees to the injured. She helps them aboard and ensures they'll be as comfortable as possible for the road move. Passing Bayer she says offhandedly, "Got a pretty loyal and trustworthy NCO there." - in reference to Tucker insisting on staying put and quite possibly saving them. True as well, was that her confidence in the rest of the team pulling together at the crucial times had returned.

She didn't allow herself to think about Milk.

"Where do you need me?" she asks. "Back in the honker?" With the wounded, she figured she might be needed to handle one of the other jobs.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 573 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 16:42
Re: Kilroy Was Here
Cap'n Rae:
The Tarpan-Honker is waiting for them. Mariusz, exhausted but unwounded, is at the wheel. Jan, wide-eyed, covers the rear with the AGS-17. Anneka is treating Tucker's badly wounded arm on the floor at the bottom of the truck bed beside Jan while Griet tries to stay alert in the passenger seat. The ambush team piles aboard the Polish jeep, making room where they can, and the group heads north up the road.

Everyone in the group- at least though not too distracted by the pain of their wounds- feels as though they are being watched from the trees near where the highway emerges into the open field. Through binoculars, one can see a low earthen fortification flanking the road, about 700m distant. Movement among the mounds suggests that it is occupied. Not pausing to study it any longer, the convoy pulls onto the highway and begins travelling north, towards the town of Gora Kalwaria, a renowned pilgramage site and the largest settlement on the Vistula between Kozeniece and Warsaw.

They leave not a moment too soon, as a mortar round explodes not far from the lonely checkpoint building behind them.

Actions?

Tucker lets the weight of his body rest where he is sitting while Anneka tends to his wounded arm.  He feels the build-up of adrenaline starting to leave his body, probably with the blood loss too, and he starts to feel the ache of the wound start to come over him.  He looks up at Anneka, "How bad is it Major?  You get everybody back OK?"

When the rest of the wounded and ambush team are back and loaded into the vehicles, Robert tries to sit up and lend a hand where and if he can (or rather, if he's allowed).  He hears the mortar round explode and thinks that they haven't escaped their pursuers just yet.  he knows that with the wound to his arm, his M-16 is going to be too heavy to bear and weild properly so he reaches down into his MOLLE grenadiers vest and retrieves his Browning HP and lets it rest on his leg while the vehicles go into evasive manuevers to escape the shelling.

Tucker
Browning HP (in hand)
Sitting/leaning in T-H
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 360 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 18:19
Re: Kilroy Was Here
Griet wedged herself into a seat and retrieved and checked her gear. She looked around at the collection of wounds the team had collected. She spoke softly to Anneka, "Is there any way I can help, Major?"