Ch. 13: Kozienice.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 450 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 18:24
Re: Kilroy Was Here
Ha, this was new, Mariusz thought to himself, the excitement of driving filling him with adrenaline and keeping him awake. The gears of the Honker clashed again and he missed using the clutch properly. His face nearly connected with the wheel as his foot slipped between the accelerator and brake.

The vehicle hopped, almost as if it was surprised by the mortar round that crashed behind it and Mariusz finally found second at the same time as his foot engaged the clutch. The engine stopped whining and the truck moved more smoothly along the scarred road.

Mariusz looked back happily, "It's OK, I'm getting it. How fast can you make one of these things go?"

The vehicle lurched into a pothole and Mariusz swerved across the road as he overcompensated with the wheel, "It's OK," he said again, crunching into third.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 277 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Fri 6 Feb 2009
at 23:13
Re: Kilroy Was Here
Back at the vehicles Dave shift from shooter to corpsman role, first wrapping a quick bandage around his calf, then helping whoever needs it.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1142 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 7 Feb 2009
at 18:35
Asleep At The Wheel

October 12, 2000
0800hrs.
42F
party cloudy; light wind
Approx. 30km north of Kozienice


Filty, hungry, exhausted- many bloodied- the party rolls north towards Gora Kalwaria, leaving the horrors of the Kolzienice forest behind.

Open, overgrown fields flank the highway on either side. The landscape is empty, primordial almost, without sign of human life. There are, however, periodic signs of human death. About five kilometers north of Kolzienice, the convoy passes a small, red sedan sitting at the side of the road, its bonnet open, completely stripped of every usable component. A moldering corpse stretches out stiffly in the weeds a few meters away from the wreck. Several kilometers further on, they drive by a pair of badly decomposing horses, still in harness, but there is no sign of a wagon.

About 25km north of Kolzeniece, the highway crosses a small river. The short bridge appears undamaged and the convoy rolls across without incident. A lone, waterlogged corpse lies twisted in the reeds below.

A half-an-hour later, a few low buildings appear to the northeast and the convoy slows. Through binoculars, the party sees that all of the visible buildings have been blackened by fire. Most of them appear to be little more than cracked, empty shells. From a distance, at least, the party sees nothing there to suggest human inhabitance or occupation. Several hundred meters to the west, a pack of wolves or wild dogs seems to shadow the party. Jason, watching the convoys lengthening back trail, has seen no sign of enemy pursuit since leaving the woods around Kolzienice.

A few kilometers to the north, the highway enters another wooded area. Thick clouds form a thick grey wall above the line of dark trees. It looks like another unpleasant weather front is sweeping south from the Baltic Sea.

According to the party's maps, Gora Kalwaria is still lies about 15-20km in that direction. The town is of interest because of its two bridges over the Vistula. The likelihood that they are still standing is pretty remote but, without boats, the potential crossing must at least be investigated.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:48, Sat 07 Feb 2009.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1128 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 7 Feb 2009
at 22:54
Re: Asleep At The Wheel
Dawid stopped the bike and motioned for Mariusz to drive the Honker up beside him.

"That was a magnificent job you did back there."

"Now, let's find some place in those woods to hole up and treat our wounds, get some rest before tackling the town. If I were a bandit, and it looks like there are some about, I would be hiding somewhere in town."



He sighed, drank a swig of water and lit a cigarette. His leg was a complete throbbing mass.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:16, Sat 07 Feb 2009.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 278 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 8 Feb 2009
at 00:20
Re: Asleep At The Wheel
Dave looks over at Konrad and says "Hey Captain, we ought to find a place to hole up for a day or three. Give us chance to heal up and recuperate."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1131 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 8 Feb 2009
at 23:05
Re: Asleep At The Wheel
In reply to Dave 'Bones' Stoner (msg #422):

Dawid looked over at Bayer, "Konrad! It is great to see you again! Minh, Ondar, as well. All should give thanks to Mariusz's bravery, I should like to emphasise."

He was personally quite glad to be alive if wounded. He felt sorrow that Clarence didn't make it, but didn't feel this was the proper time to grieve.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:08, Sun 08 Feb 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 894 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 9 Feb 2009
at 14:04
Re: Asleep At The Wheel
Dave 'Bones' Stoner:
Dave looks over at Konrad and says "Hey Captain, we ought to find a place to hole up for a day or three. Give us chance to heal up and recuperate."


"Ja. Very much so." he replies groggily, lacking emotion. "One close by. We dispatch a recce patrol during the night... recce Gora Kalwaria."

When the damaged buildings come into view he musters the energy to view them through his binoculars. Could be occupied, he thought, by anyone really. He glanced down at his map. They'd be facing the same situation every few hundred meters, but at least these buildings were in rough shape.

Into the radio he says, "Drivers... reference village, close in. Advance on nearest structure and halt 200 meters out. Then dismount and form a tight perimeter. Support weapons facing 12 o'clock towards village." Memories flushed into his mind of the same old routine... only with Marders and not a pair of battered trucks.

"Motorcycle... continue advance onto position. Dismount, scout, and report."

This message was last edited by the player at 14:05, Mon 09 Feb 2009.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1134 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 9 Feb 2009
at 21:52
Re: Asleep At The Wheel
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #424):

Dawid laughed, taking a drag on his cigarette while resting his hands on the handlebars.

"Konrad my friend! Looking for another fight? So soon! You're insatiable, out of control!"

"Most likely we shall find some more Poles to kill in the town, bandits, and no doubt they have it coming."

"We are in splendid shape for such an enterprise. We'll easily kill them all, leave a trail of bodies from here to Warszawa and beyond! Poland will be pacified when we're done, never fear. We can rest when we're dead!"


He continued chuckling, shaking his head while chambering a round in his Tantal.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:55, Mon 09 Feb 2009.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 973 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Mon 9 Feb 2009
at 23:15
Re: Asleep At The Wheel
"Jason, Dawid, Tucker, Stoner, Jan and Sam are too injured and need to stay back," Anneka advised Konrad with eyes drooping.
"Griet and myself too I think."
Which left only Ondar, Konrad, Mariusz and Minh even vaguely fit for scouting, not including Adam and Walter. The situation was getting desperate, Griet was drifting in and out of consciousness (not unlike herself) and a full half of their number either could not walk or only had one good arm. Shelter was needed, and needed now.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 574 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 10 Feb 2009
at 00:10
Re: Asleep At The Wheel
Cap'n Rae:
October 12, 2000
0800hrs.
42F
party cloudy; light wind
Approx. 30km north of Kozienice


Filty, hungry, exhausted- many bloodied- the party rolls north towards Gora Kalwaria, leaving the horrors of the Kolzienice forest behind.

Actions?
Tucker remains sitting in the T-H with his pistol in hand and resting on his right leg.  He tries to fight back the burning pain in his arm and he knows that he's probably still got a bullet in his arm.  He knows that Anneka's going to have to rip it out at some point pretty soon when they get a chance to stop and rest properly.  Robert tries to fight back the fatigue and the pain as they move towards the town of Gora Kalwaria.  "I might not be able to recce anything but I can still stand a watch if needed," Tucker says to anyone who may be listening.

Tucker
Browning HP (in hand/safety on)
Riding in back of T-H
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1146 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 10 Feb 2009
at 02:31
Funky Town

Considering the collective state of the party and the approaching weather system, Konrad and Anneka make the difficult decision to scout out the seemingly abandoned town, despite Dawid's quite understandable (if somewhat sarcastic) objections. Dawid is paticularly spent after riding nearly thirty kilometers on the URAL motorcyle with a through-and-through in the back of his thigh. Despite a hastily applied bandage, his trousers are soaked with blood and he's feeling alarmingly light-headed.

The convoy proceeds north for a couple of kilometers before arriving at a turn-off. The exit sign that one would normally expect to find in such a place is nowhere to be seen. Instead, they find a lone rubber boot, set upright with its toe pointing roughly towards the highway. Alarmingly, what appears to be a shattered human femur portrudes from the open top of the boot. Too cold and tired to ponder whether the macabre little landmark holds any meaning, the convoy pulls off of the highway and begins heading east towards the village on the badly cracked and potholed, two-lane road branching which, at this spot, branches off of the highway.

As they roll closer to the village, they see a thin line of white smoke rising into the leaden sky from somewhere behind the nearest line of structures. The smoke is quickly carried away by the wind, which has picked up in the last few minutes. The temperature seems to have dropped a few degrees during that time, as well. The convoy halts about 750 meters from the village and a small recon team (Konrad, Ondar, Mariusz, and Minh) proceeds the rest of the way towards the broken buildings at the edge of the settlement.

They cautiously enter the first building, some kind of modest municipal building- maybe a post office- and clear it. It is empty save for some cheap, rusting metal furniture and soggy, burnt papers which litter almost every square foot of the floor. Water stains and dark splotches of mold cover the walls not charred by fire. The building appears to have been completely abandoned for many months, if not years. Proceeding carefully to the east side of the building, the team surveys the rest of the village through empty windows.

The source of the smoke comes into view: a large two story brick house- the tallest in the village- with a partially collapsed roof through which a few last whisps of smoke emerges. Four, maybe five shabbily clad men, each carrying a rifle and a pack of some sort, exit the building through a hole in its north wall and, looking nervously west, take off running in the opposite direction. They appear to be abandoning their shelter with the utmost of haste. Perhaps they've been spooked by the convoy?

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:35, Tue 10 Feb 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 895 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 10 Feb 2009
at 05:41
Re: Funky Town
Bayer toggles his radio, "Any call sign, Sunray. Village is inhabi... err, occupied. Five armed men, maybe more... departing to east. Is anything sighted to the west of the village, over?" As he speaks (quietly), he motions to Quyen to take look in that direction. As he waits for a response over the radio, Bayer then motions for Ondar to move into a position where he can observe/cover the men.

"Mariusz... watch the house." he whispers. Then he adds, "Well then. What do you think?"

He'll then look at Quyen and Ondar for anything they may have to report.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:44, Tue 10 Feb 2009.

Minh Quyen
 player, 355 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 10 Feb 2009
at 06:16
Re: Funky Town
Quyen was happy to go along, at least as much of her body would allow. Especially if could hasten the opportunity for the group to stop and rest up. To her, any village or hamlet was a potential threat, but as time was not on their side, she was motivated to make this one "theirs".

Inside the municipal building, Quyen stands with her back to the wall. She gently kicks aside some of the papers and assorted trash to get a better look at it. Maybe good to get a fire going, she mused.

She waited patiently as the rest of her scouting party observed the men. Then on the Hauptmann's signal she stalks over to a vantage point overlooking the West (if there is one). Keeping to the shadows she scans the area looking for movement, vehicles, people - anything.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:18, Tue 10 Feb 2009.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1135 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 10 Feb 2009
at 08:59
Re: Funky Town
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #429):

Following the trucks, Dawid drove the motorcycle into the perimeter of the village. Stopping, he dismounted as instructed. He fell down as his legs promptly gave out after so long on the bike and his injuries.

Weakly laughing, he looked up at the sky, then rolled over and grabbed his Tantal, bringing it to bear.

"Ha ha... My legs appear to be non-functional at this time. My apologies. Sam, you may continue to man the machinegun, if you please."

This message was last edited by the player at 11:32, Tue 10 Feb 2009.

Sam McCoy
 player, 193 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Wed 11 Feb 2009
at 00:56
Re: Funky Town
Sam will cover the others and take up security.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:02, Wed 11 Feb 2009.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 281 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Wed 11 Feb 2009
at 01:58
Re: Funky Town
Dave is going to use the break in all the activity to check the bandaging and wounds of the people still at the T-H. And reload the M240.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 982 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Wed 11 Feb 2009
at 04:35
Re: Funky Town
"Go check on Dawid," Anneka muttered sleepily to Stoner, wishing he'd bring her a pillow and somewhere soft to lay down.
"I've done this lot."
Alexei Ondar
 player, 102 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Wed 11 Feb 2009
at 07:46
Re: Funky Town
Ondar quietly exited the burned-out municipal structure and began to circle around to the south before moving east.  Laden with freshly topped-off magazines and a replenished complement of two fragmentation grenades, he moved in the shadows of the dim and bleak autumn dawn, seeking high ground from which to observe the departure of the previous occupants.  Cold and tired, with several bruised ribs and a superfical wound to his right bicep, the sharpshooter had fallen into an exceptionally foul mood since abandoning the American warrant officer during the earlier aborted ambush.  He wasn't sure if the pit in his stomach was hunger or guilt.

The wind, though light, stung against his exposed skin.  He had donned a rain parka before exiting the Honker because - even in the relative warmth of his Soviet winter issue VDV fatigues - abused and poorly healed joints screamed in riotous objection to the sudden decrease in barometric pressure that heralded the approaching cold front.  The ragged Tuvan did not need a meteorolgist to know a storm was coming.  Otherwise bleary-eyed and drooling with a need for sleep, the pain kept him alert and focused.  Careful to remain concealed in the veil of morning gloom, Ondar peers around the corner with his rifle shouldered.  He quickly surveys the terrain to the east and signals back to the Hauptmann his findings.



[Ondar]
South of post office
SVU-AS (10/10)
Reconnoitering.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1150 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 13 Feb 2009
at 01:56
The Fixer-Upper

Konrad decides that the village, despite its descrepid condition and the very recent presence of what looked certain to be at least a small band of marauders, is as good a place as any in the area to stop and rest up. He calls forward the vehicle crews and, as soon as the convoy is parked in front of the municipal building, he leads the scouting team forward towards the two-story, brick building recently vacated by the village's most recent occupants.

The team quickly crosses the open space between the building and, stacking up against the north-facing exterior wall, prepares to enter, clear, and secure the building. The smell of urine is strong here. Apparently the former residents didn't stray too far from their shelter when nature called. At Konrad's signal, the team moves through the ragged hole in the wall serving as the home's main entrance (the front door is burried behind rubble from the badly damaged upper story).

The interior is a mess. It has more than just a lived-in vibe. Adding to the extensive fire and water damage, there is refuse scattered all about. Cigarette butts, small animal bones, empty food tins, broken bottles, pieces of clothing, some of it bloodstained. From the looks of it, the house has been occupied by several rather slovenly men for at least a couple of weeks. They've left behind nothing worth coming back for.

The team exits through the same hole and wave the all clear to those waiting at the vehicles. Looking east, down the village's main road, there appear to be few other buildings worth investigating. Besides, the party no longer has the manpower to properly clear the remainder of the village. The municipal building, with one or two interior rooms, appears to provide just enough in the way of shelter, while it's various windows (and not a pane of glass between them) offer vantage points to observe each of the cardinal directions including, most importantly, the road running west back to the highway.

Leaving the vehicles parked outside (with the STAR gun-truck's "pointy end" facing west), the party consolidates within the municipal building and begins making camp.

Actions?
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 987 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Fri 13 Feb 2009
at 02:18
Re: The Fixer-Upper
A few snatched minutes dozing in the T-H was barely enough to restore her strength to the point she could drag herself and her pack inside.
Finding a relativley debris free corner, she shook off her boots and crawled inside her sleeping bag. Within moments she was fast asleep - unloading stores, setting up weapons, arranging sentry positions and schedules would need to be done by those less exhausted.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:18, Fri 13 Feb 2009.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 576 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 13 Feb 2009
at 21:53
Re: The Fixer-Upper
Robert feels the vehicle stop just as he was getting ready to pass out or fall asleep from the fatigue that was making his body ache (the bullet in his arm isn't helping much either).  He tries to pull himself up and gather what he can carry in his good hand as he holsters his Browning pistol back in his MOLLE vest.  He looks around and says, "Mom!  We're home!"

Tucker will find a place to sit and pass out.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1141 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 13 Feb 2009
at 22:07
Re: The Fixer-Upper
Dawid lay there, waiting for some kind of medical attention, but not too surprised at the situation. After all, there were others who were clearly of higher priority than he.

As he lay there on the cold ground he mused to Sam, himself, or no one, "ha... looks like the village is deserted after all. I was mistaken! It is not so bad to fear things could get worse."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:21, Fri 13 Feb 2009.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 577 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 13 Feb 2009
at 23:30
Re: The Fixer-Upper
Robert looks around the room as he tries to settle in and asks around, "Hey!  Where's Milk at?"
'Old' Adam Rataj
 NPC, 67 posts
 Polish (NPC)
 Captain of the Queen
Fri 13 Feb 2009
at 23:37
Re: The Fixer-Upper

Adam approaches Konrad and addresses the Hauptman,

"Mr. Bayer, Walter and I can take first watch. You and your people are... clearly in need of rest. Anything we can do."

Echoing Tucker's inquiry, he adds,

"Yes, where is Mr. Milk?"

Deep lines of concern are etched on his weathered face.
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 283 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sat 14 Feb 2009
at 02:20
Re: The Fixer-Upper
Dave wearily makes his rounds, checking on his companions. When he gets to Dawid, he looks down at him and says "What are you doing down there? You should have hollered at me or Anneka." He plops down beside the wounded Pole and treats the wound, barely concious of the actions but having done it so, so many times it's an action that doesn't need much thought.

After that, Dave finds himself a corner and stretches out himself.