Ch. 13: Kozienice.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 424 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 10:25
Re: Paying the Toll
"You get treated," Mariusz said to Kasparov, "I'll wait here."



He took the radio with him and found a nice deppression next to the track to set up in.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:31, Tue 23 Dec 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 336 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 10:30
Re: Paying the Toll
Griet walked back down the track until she found Mariusz and Dawid, she noted that they had the track directly covered and said, "I'll go into the tree line a little bit and see if I can find a position to use enfilading fire, if I can't, I'll come back here."

She started to move into the trees.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1066 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 12:27
Re: Paying the Toll
Dawid welcomed Griet back.

"Good to see you, I'll make sure not to hit your position. Just so you know the plan is I will try and engage them at as long a range as possible with the machine grenade launcher. I'm probably not going to wait until they are beside you (because if they bail out you will be overrun), unless we get more people here to help set up a proper ambush."

"From what Jason says, not much chance of immediate pursuit, which is good! I hear he got that damned BDRM. Might as well finish that smoke."


He handed her the RPK-74 and spare ammunition as she passed.

"Jason, you are not fit to ride! Allow me."

He easily caught up to and helped the wounded pilot into the sidecar, then hopped onto the saddle and started the bike with a kick on the starter pedal. The warm machine caught immediately, and he put it into gear while letting out the clutch and twisting the throttle. After delivering his injured charge to where Anneka waited, he drove back.

"Mariusz, would you kindly help me man the machine grenade launcher? We will fire off the Mk.19 from here, then load it up and use the bike to escape behind some smoke grenades. But I suspect we'll be going before that happens."

"I hope!"


He rolled the bike back off the road, but made sure it was pointed back up the road so it could be quickly started and driven away. In doing so he noted the bullet holes and reflected how narrow their escape must have been.


40mm Mk.19 (50 HVHEDP
Moving the bike, then back to Aim and Cover
25m behind the vehicles

This message was last edited by the player at 09:48, Wed 24 Dec 2008.

'Old' Adam Rataj
 NPC, 65 posts
 Polish (NPC)
 Captain of the Queen
Tue 23 Dec 2008
at 18:31
Re: Paying the Toll

Before Dawid left to see to rear security and the recently arrived ambush team, Adam replies quietly to Dawid's rhetorical querry.


He gives Dawid a conspiratorial wink. It appears that the old man is not above enaging in a little subtle manipulation himself.

When their private conversation ends, the old man assists in the shifting of the large tree from the roadway.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:31, Tue 23 Dec 2008.

Minh Quyen
 player, 332 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 24 Dec 2008
at 00:57
Re: Paying the Toll
Quyen takes cover as Tucker attempts to trigger any boobytraps or mines in the tree. She preferred that than having to rustle through it in the dark. Afterwards she helps with the winch and the obstacle clearance.

Loading up, she makes a quick check of her own explosives, some dynamite sticks, a kilo of C4, and two anti-pers mines. Not much left, but hopefully enough to make a difference sometime in the future.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1069 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 24 Dec 2008
at 09:48
Re: Paying the Toll
'Old' Adam Rataj:
Before Dawid left to see to rear security and the recently arrived ambush team, Adam replies quietly to Dawid's rhetorical querry.

He gives Dawid a conspiratorial wink. It appears that the old man is not above enaging in a little subtle manipulation himself.

When their private conversation ends, the old man assists in the shifting of the large tree from the roadway.


Now a ways away, Dawid remembered returning the smile and Adam's words of a few minutes ago. In return he had nodded in understanding of the truth in what Adam sald, then had moved to his position.

Currently, he was waiting for the pursuers to catch up, although it would likely take a long time to get themselves sorted out. He thanked God again for Jason and Mariusz's deliverance.


40mm Mk.19 (50 HVHEDP
Moving the bike, then back to Aim and Cover
25m behind the vehicles


OOC: In case there is any confusion in reading this post, Dawid is reflecting on the prior conversation that has ended a few minutes prior, not beginning a new one.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 338 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 24 Dec 2008
at 12:02
Re: Paying the Toll
Griet looked at the RPK and ammunition that Dawid had handed her. As he drove off with Jason, she wondered why he wanted her to carry both the RPK and the PKM into her position. She shrugged and left the RPK with Mariusz as she headed out to find a suitable flanking position.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 425 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 24 Dec 2008
at 12:04
Re: Paying the Toll
Mariusz moved from his position, gave up the RPK to Dawid, received it back from Griet and then set himself up next to the Mk-19 ready to assist Dawid as he'd been told.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1070 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 24 Dec 2008
at 12:19
Re: Paying the Toll
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg #199):

Noting her hesitation over weapons, Dawid suggested, "the plan is simply to hit and run. Use whichever weapon you like, put the other in the sidecar, but I would think the RPK-74 is easier to run with!"


40mm Mk.19 (50 HVHEDP
Aiming to Cover the back trail
25m behind the vehicles


OOC: Sorry, I didn't see a weapon posted and didn't realise Griet was packing around the PKM, which makes sense.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:39, Wed 24 Dec 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1085 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 24 Dec 2008
at 20:55
A Fork in the Road

October 12, 2000
0530 hrs.
40F
Scattered clouds
Approximately 5km west of Kozienice


The fallen tree no longer an impediment to their escape, the party reboard the vehicles* and once again get under way. The road cuts fairly straight through the trees, angling gradually northwest. So far, there has been no sign of the pursuit force. Perhaps the loss of the BRDM succeeded in breaking their spirit. Perhaps they have seen the folley of wheeled pursuit through a heavily wooded area. Whatever the cause of this respite, it is welcome indeed. But the members of the party are no less vigilant. The same trees that may have disuaded their pursuers could still contain dangers unseen for the party.

Moving at an expeditious but careful 55kph, the party continues to travel through the wood. Despite the lack of regular upkeep over the last few years, the forrest floor is remarkably free from undergrowth, making visibility less of an issue. The warm, loamy aroma of the composting leaf litter permeates the cold air which seems to have less of an edge in the cradle-like confines of the wood. Also contributing to the improved visibility is the newly risen sun, still low on the eastern horizon, whose beams now illuminate the tall spires of the mostly bare trees.

Stoner, in the Tarpan-Honkerís passenger seat, perchance looks off to his right(east), and is surprised by what he sees. For a split second, he suspects that his head wound was flaring up, causing him to halucinate a strange, disembodied, mirror image of their own convoy as it would be seen from afar. Then, others notice the rolling dopplegangers, traveling on a near parallel course to the convoy but slowly merging with their own. The first vehicle is a Tarpan-Honker squad carrier congfigured very nearly like the party's. The second is a STAR 4x4, smaller than their own STAR and, unlike those of the pursuit force, unarmored. Neither have canvas tops and their occupants can be clearly seen: four men in the T-H, and at least a dozen in lining the bed of the STAR. All are armed. The twin T-H appears to have a pintle-mounted PKM.

The vehicles, now only a little over 100m apart, continue to converge on the same, unseen intersection up ahead. The road here forms a lower case y, with the partyís convoy on the straighter, longer road, heading towards the tail. The other vehicles are on the shorter track, also heading for the tail. The two courses will undoubtedly soon merge.

Soon after Stoner and the others notice the shadowing force, the shadowing force notices them. The PKM on the hostile T-H swings towards the partyís T-H and the passengers in the hostile STAR crane their necks to see what is going on ahead and across from them.

Actions?

*I'll let ya'll sort out the order of march and vehicle assignments in the OOC.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:18, Sun 28 Dec 2008.

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 player, 261 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Thu 25 Dec 2008
at 05:15
Re: A Fork in the Road
Dave flips the NVGs up and rubs his eyes, then flips them back down for a second look. "Hey! Ya'll see that shit?" he asks no one in particular. He shifts around in the seat to bring the M240 to bear.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 910 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Thu 25 Dec 2008
at 06:12
Re: A Fork in the Road
Pre contact:
Jason Kasparov:
"Major," he says to Soleblume when he gets there, "I need your help..."

"Yes, of course."
After looking at the injury with the help of her surgical kits penlight, she quickly stiched the wound.
"No more bike riding for you," she said, directing Jason towards the trucks cargo bed.
"Not for a day or two anyway. Climb up and I'll bandage it while we move."
With Jason out of action as the motorcycle driver, Anneka mentally ran down ther list to come up with a replacement.
"Jan better do it," she stated.
"Dawid's needed too much here with with big guns."
Which of course meant a new driver was required for the T-H...
Sam McCoy
 player, 167 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Thu 25 Dec 2008
at 12:32
Re: A Fork in the Road
"I can ride, if that means anything..."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:55, Fri 26 Dec 2008.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1071 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 25 Dec 2008
at 13:57
Re: A Fork in the Road
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #202):

After they got moving, Dawid made sure the Mk.19 and his PKM were in the bed of the STAR. Then he consolidated the remaining 23mm HEI ammunition into one magazine. If one barrel was functioning and the other wasn't, then it was just as well.

Spotting the other vehicles with his NVGs, Dawid knew there were hostile forces nearby to the East, in Kozienice. They would well have patrols out to spot and, if possible, head them off. It looked like a patrol had just managed to cut them off.  Riding in Polish Army vehicles and coming from the direction of known hostiles, he didn't need someone to draw him a picture as to who these clowns were.  He hoped it wasn't a friendly, but there was no way to tell and he who shot first lived to regret their mistakes.

He called out the fire order to the other gunners in the the vehicle, which mainly included Griet, "targets: two vehicles azimuth 100 degrees at 100m!"

Dawid swung the AA gun around and lowered the barrels down (as they had been pointed up to clear the breeches), training it on them. When the rear vehicle slid into his sight he pressed the trigger for the remaining 23mm autocannon, raking it.


23mm AA gun (39/100 HEI)
Firing 5x Bursts (x5 shots each) into the Star truck at close range
On AA gun, bed of Star


OOC: for the sake of argument, I'm assuming that the vehicles are about even and off to the side, a little to the rear, so the 23mm can train on them. If they are more to the rear the 23mm cannot target them but then the Mk.19 can and that's what he'd use. Also, as one 23mm barrel is inoperative then it would seem the ZU-23's ROF is cut in half from 10 to 5, comparing different 23mm autocannons in the T2K v2.2 Heavy Weapons Handbook. (Or, if we're going from Paul Mulcahy's site then the ROF of 20 goes down to 10, it would therefore be 3 bursts x10 and 1 Burst x9.) If any of these assumptions are incorrect please clarify so I can correct my post.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:40, Fri 26 Dec 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 912 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Thu 25 Dec 2008
at 15:47
Re: A Fork in the Road
Sam McCoy:
" I can Ride if that means anything..."
Anneka's head snapped up, "How well?"
An extra rider amongst the combat troops would be very useful and take the load off Dawid and the now wounded Jason.
Sam McCoy
 player, 168 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Thu 25 Dec 2008
at 22:34
Re: A Fork in the Road
"How well can I ride? Well, I have never had any complaints. Ha. No, I have had a bike my entire adult life. In Virginia, only the rich had cars- the people who worked had dirt bikes and the poor and lazy walked."

"I rode a 92' Road King back at Bragg. I assume it's now radiation or is being used by someone. Well, God bless them if they can."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:54, Fri 26 Dec 2008.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 339 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 26 Dec 2008
at 16:05
Re: A Fork in the Road
Blinking away fatigue, Griet slowly responded to the threat beside them by bringing the PKM to bear on the right side to engage the enemy.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 427 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 26 Dec 2008
at 16:07
Re: A Fork in the Road
Mariusz's chin drifted even more solidly onto his chest and his eyelids felt heavy. In the back of his mind he could hear the buzz of more engine noise. That meant something, probably something important, but he was just too tired to make the connections needed.
Minh Quyen
 player, 335 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 27 Dec 2008
at 12:52
Re: A Fork in the Road
The firing took Quyen by surprise. She had allowed herself to relax a little and exhaustion had begun to wear her down. Sitting in the darkened back, listening to the monotonous engine sounds, she was nearly unconscious.

He rifle was leaning towards her with the but on the floor. Alarmed she raised it and looked around to find out what was happening and to be ready to react to any orders forthcoming.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 79 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Sat 27 Dec 2008
at 20:47
Re: A Fork in the Road
Back aboard the Honker, Ondar let his eyes grow heavy and close.  Sleep was not realistic given conditions of the road and the vehicle's suspension, but rest would suffice.  A little rest was certainly better than no rest at all.

Initially, he had been reluctant to allow himself the luxury of relaxation, but from his position in the troop carrier he would have to rely on the skill of others manning the lookout posts.  His head drooped and he had just slipped into a pseudo dream-state recalling his youth in the rolling hills of Tuva when he was startled awake by he sound of heavy weapons fire.

"What that !?!" the paratooper demands.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 546 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 28 Dec 2008
at 03:45
Re: A Fork in the Road
Tucker seemed to get a little comfortable on the pintle mount of the AGS-17 on the T-H as they roll down the trail in the park.  He started to relax finally from the action in the town and felt his eyes getting heavy from the lack of decent sleep the past couple of days.  Robert is startled when he hears a call from either in front of him or from behind him in the troop carrier and then sees another T-H vehicle is mirroring them.

At that point the reality sets in when he sees the PKM on the squad carrier turning towards them and he sweeps the AGS-17 grenade launcher and fires a string of grenades at the vehicle(s).  "CONTACT!  FUCKING CONTACT!"

Tucker
AGS-17
Firing string of rounds at the T-H

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:08, Tue 30 Dec 2008.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1088 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 28 Dec 2008
at 04:01
Crash

75m to the party's right, the unidentified Tarpan-Honker motors on, its gunner hastily lining up its counterpart. For some reason, the gunner does not fire. Instead, he starts screaming at his driver who abruptly speeds up, gradually pulling ahead of the party's vehicles in a race for the y-shaped road junction which must be coming up soon. The 4x4 star is slow to react to its leader's sudden and apparently unexpected acceleration. After a couple of seconds, the STAR's driver attempts to follow suit.

As soon as he saw the shadowing force, Dawid cranks the ZU-23-2's traverse and elevation wheels until the big gun is pointing at the 4x4 STAR. Just as it begins to pull ahead of the gun-truck, Dawid presses the foot pedal and sends a 6-round burst its way. HEI-T rounds scream downrange in a just a few fractions of a second. One round blasts apart the 4x4's rear, left tire. Two more tear through its cargo bed, shredding wood, metal, and flesh. A third would have hit the bed, but instead explodes against a tree that just happened to have interposed itself between the cannon and its target.

The smaller STAR shudders under the impact and slews left, running off the dirt track and smashing headlong into a tree. The impact throws the passenger seat occupant through the windshield and the survivors in the bed into the back of the cab (one tumbles out over the low guardrail. The tree doesn't survive the impact, falling down towards the anticipated crossroads up ahead.

Meanwhile, the shadow T-H's gunner works desperately on his PKM, which must have suffered a stoppage or misfire. The racing T-H is now about three or four car-lengths ahead of the party's foremost vehicle, about 50m off to the right, and angling towards a junction somewhere up ahead.

Tucker sends a flurry of 30mm HE grenades towards the hostile T-H. The projectiles explode puffs of smoke just behind the accelerating Polish jeep. It's possible that the vehicle and/or its occupants have taken some fragments but there are no clear signs of any hits.

Actions?

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:07, Sun 28 Dec 2008.

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 914 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medic
Sun 28 Dec 2008
at 05:49
Re: A Fork in the Road
In reply to Sam McCoy (msg #208):

Relief flooded across her face as the difficult task of finding a replacement driver evaporated.
"Good, you're it then. Saddle up and lead us out."

A short while later....
Anneka had settled herself in the Star's cabin and almost drifted off into a fitful nap when the roar of 23mm round ripped through the air from behind. With a hand on Jason in an unspoken directive to stay seated, she lifted the top hatch, climbed up and rested her RPK-74 on the roof.
Sam McCoy
 player, 170 posts
 MSGT
 10th SFG ODA 011
Sun 28 Dec 2008
at 07:54
Re: A Fork in the Road
To Ann

"Well then you have a rider."

When Sam gets to the bike, he will address the boy.

"Well when we stop we can try to get the PKM from David and set it up on the trike. But, until then, try to keep your burst to 3 round bursts. It will keep your muzzle rise down and will keep you on target. I have experience in this."


"I will drive hard but I will need your help when we turn. I will need you to lean in the direction of the turn, this will help me drive. Also, I will yell when we turn or brake and this will help you in your duties of the gunner and spotter. Got any questions? If not, then let's roll."


Sam will do a quick once over of the bike, doing a quick pre combat check. He will then do the same for his gear now strapped to the bike and his personal gear.

"When's the last time you did a pre-combat check?"

Sam will start the bike and head out. He will go about 250 Meters in front of the convoy doing recon.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:31, Sun 28 Dec 2008.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 428 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 28 Dec 2008
at 12:56
Re: A Fork in the Road
"OK," Mariusz replied to McCoy's orders.