Ch. 14: Gora Kalwaria (Part I)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Steven Drew
 player, 42 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Tue 1 Sep 2009
at 06:31
Re: Broadsides
Drew will prep the machinegun and survey the target building.  He will focus on the upper floors, trying to get the pop up pattern of the defenders.

  He will then study the front door and if he sees the movement of someone running across the field of view that the door or windows provide he will let loose with a burst.  He will also pay attention to the sides of the building incase anyone wants to reinforce or abandon the building he will fire down the side to stop them.

  Drew will scan all of that and focus on the upper areas of the building to deny the advantage of height and a better field of view.  Drew will fire bursts of no more than 20 rounds.  He studies the texture of the building.  If it is made out of think brick, wood or something similiar he will shoot to the sides of the windows and doors or loopholes where a shooter would be taking cover counting on the rounds to penetrate the wall and then take out any defenders.

Sgt Drew
M240
Surveying and lighting up the badies
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1027 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 1 Sep 2009
at 08:56
Re: Broadsides
Once the platoon is able to establish an assault line to spring forward towards the buildings from, Bayer gets back onto the radio. Thumbing the transmit, he says, "Queen. Sunray. As per last fire mission. One round I will adjust. Charge delay. Now. Over."

Looking over towards Wicks he yells, "If the shot is good*, go on your command. If it misses, wait and I will adjust."

*Hits the house they are going to assault.

Anticipating the shot to be good, Bayer exposes himself just enough to aim his weapon at one of the lower floor windows. Flicking up the sights of the grenade launcher, he will fire a 40mm HE once the mortar round hits (or misses).

Bayer
G36/HK69 (HE)
Aiming - will fire as soon as the mortar bomb impacts

Minh Quyen
 player, 430 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 1 Sep 2009
at 09:20
Re: Broadsides
Quyen grips the AGS handles and places the sights on the second house (the one not designated for assault). She motions for her assistants to stay low. There was little use for them and she didn't need unnecessary casualties or extra heads to betray their position (assuming they haven't been noticed yet).

Once the Vasilek fires, Quyen will fire two rounds on semiautomatic into the window of the house. She'll put preference on any window which shows movement or muzzle flashes. If none are observed she pick any random upper floor window.

Quyen (AGS team)
AGS - 1st action aiming 2nd action fire 2 rounds

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 489 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 1 Sep 2009
at 16:49
Re: Broadsides
"Roger, Sunray," she said, "Dawid, execute the fire mission as soon as you can, one round HE fire for effect."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1440 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 1 Sep 2009
at 23:42
Knock Down, Drag Out

Wisla Krolowa

A fire mission on the pirate camp is put on hold as Dawid attempts to deal with the pirate boats lingering in the Krolowa's dissipating wake. As the boats pass alongside, peppering the tug with gunfire, Dawid lowers the automortar's barrel and swings it aft. As the pirates complete their attack run and appear to hesitate 300 behind the tug, the Vasilek is brought completely to bear. Taking aim at the gaggle of small boats, Dawid fires two 82mm HE rounds into their midst. The results are devastating. One of the pirate attack craft disintigrates in a shower of boat fragments, body parts, and water. A second near-direct hit tosses one of the other boats a couple of meters in the air, capsizing it and violently tossing its crew into the frigid, turbulent river. The other two boats are pelted with mortar fragments and debris. As the smoke clears, they can be seen bobbing and drifting aimlessly near the impact zone. One of the boat's engines idles, pushing it in lazy circles around the the flotsam of its pulverized sister; the other is dead in the water, pulled along by the inexorable Vistula current. Their crews are most likely dead or wounded and the threat that they posed to the Krolowa has been neutralized. The Krolowa continues downriver, drawing closer to the burning PT boat.

Main Assault Group

The assault elements have been spotted, and the pirate hold-outs begin to shift men to meet the threat. An RPD opens up from a behind a rust-streak white sedan parked near the northeast corner of the first (nearest) target building. It is soon joined by a pair of riflemen. Fire is also now coming from the east-facing windows of the second target building. Members of the assault group are showered with chunks of bark and small branches as bullets cut through the trees overhead. Composting leaves and clumps of dark earth are kicked up from the impact of grazing fire. One of the militiamen utters a choked-off cry as he takes a burst of fire in the face. The wound is such a mess that it's not immediately clear if the fighter is alive or dead.

Drew is waiting for the defenders to make a move and almost as soon as the pirate LMG opens fire from behind the junked sedan, he lights it up with a long burst of GPMG fire. Bullets punch through the car's thin metal sides, knocking the enemy gunner down and suppressing the fire of his comrades. The lull, however, is short-lived. Fouled by bits of debris, the M240 jams on the sixth bullet in the belt.

Wicks fires a 40mm grenade at the window of the target house. The accute angle from his position to the target makes it a difficult shot. The grenade impacts high, blowing bits of roofing material in the air and possibly startling the occupants of the house, but doing little else.

The pirates appear to be regrouping and attempting to muster a more coherent, determined defense.

Fire Support Group

Faced with an enemy flanking manouver, Anneka uncharacteristically hesitates. The M1943 has not yet been yoked to the horse team and Kamil's mortar team is unaware of the approaching enemy force. Jan attempts to take charge of the situation, hefting the heavy Mk-19 and shuffling with it in his arms towards the FSG's left flank. As he struggles to move the heavy AGL on his own, he shouts at Anneka,

"Help me move this bloody thing!"

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:51, Wed 02 Sept 2009.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 659 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 2 Sep 2009
at 01:44
Re: Knock Down, Drag Out
Cap'n Rae:
Wisla Krolowa

A fire mission on the pirate camp is put on hold as Dawid attempts to deal with the pirate boats lingering in the Krolowa's dissipating wake. As the boats pass alongside, peppering the tug with gunfire, Dawid lowers the automortar's barrel and swings it aft. As the pirates complete their attack run and appear to hesitate 300 behind the tug, the Vasilek is brought completely to bear. Taking aim at the gaggle of small boats, Dawid fires two 82mm HE rounds into their midst. The results are devastating. One of the pirate attack craft disintigrates in a shower of boat fragments, body parts, and water. A second near-direct hit tosses one of the other boats a couple of meters in the air, capsizing it and violently tossing its crew into the frigid, turbulent river. The other two boats are pelted with mortar fragments and debris. As the smoke clears, they can be seen bobbing and drifting aimlessly near the impact zone. One of the boat's engines idles, pushing it in lazy circles around the the flotsam of its pulverized sister; the other is dead in the water, pulled along by the inexorable Vistula current. Their crews are most likely dead or wounded and the threat that they posed to the Krolowa has been neutralized.

Next Moves?

While in the process of clearing the jam on the starboard Dushka, Robert feels & hears the thump of the 82mm mortar as it fires twice downriver towards the gaggle of boats trying to determine their next move.  Tucker nods with approval as he watches the two almost perfectly placed rounds do their damage to the small watercraft and basically putting them all out of sommission.  "Guy's a fukin' asshole but, he's aces on that mortar," goes through Tuck's mind as he goes back to the task at hand and continues to clear the HMG's misfeed.

Tucker
Starboard Dushka
Still trying to clear the jammed HMG
Steven Drew
 player, 43 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Wed 2 Sep 2009
at 06:11
Re: Knock Down, Drag Out
Cap'n Rae:
Main Assault Group

The assault elements have been spotted, and the pirate hold-outs begin to shift men to meet the threat. An RPD opens up from a behind a rust-streak white sedan parked near the northeast corner of the first (nearest) target building. It is soon joined by a pair of riflemen. Fire is also now coming from the east-facing windows of the second target building. Members of the assault group are showered with chunks of bark and small branches as bullets cut through the trees overhead. Composting leaves and clumps of dark earth are kicked up from the impact of grazing fire. One of the militiamen utters a choked-off cry as he takes a burst of fire in the face. The wound is such a mess that it's not immediately clear if the fighter is alive or dead.

Drew is waiting for the defenders to make a move and almost as soon as the pirate LMG opens fire from behind the junked sedan, he lights it up with a long burst of GPMG fire. Bullets punch through the car's thin metal sides, knocking the enemy gunner down and suppressing the fire of his comrades. The lull, however, is short-lived. Fouled by bits of debris, the M240 jams on the sixth bullet in the belt.

Next Moves?



  Drew:

  "Sorry piece of shit!" he snarls as his hands automaticaly go into position to deal with a jammed weapon.  He pulls the boltback, trying to fire it once more.  If that doesn't work he will pull the bolt to the rear, release the feed tray and cover and clear the chamber running his fingers clearing empty cassings and links making sure the chamber is clear.

  Drew will do whatever it takes to bring his gun back into battery.
Alan Wicks
 player, 124 posts
 Lieutenant
 Royal Green Jackets
Wed 2 Sep 2009
at 08:41
Re: Knock Down, Drag Out
His rifle at his shoulder as soon as the 40mm grenade was away, Wicks had swung towards the threat of the RPD gunner just as Drew scythed him down with the M240. The ominous and familiar sound of the M240 jamming goads Wicks into action from behind his tree stump cover.

Aware of the treat the machine gunners assistants pose Wicks fires an eight round burst into the area of the sedan the men had crouched behind. He then fires off two double taps at the muzzle flashes emanating from the first target buildings lower ground floor windows.

From the corner of his eye he makes sure all the militia are firing, including the RPK-74 gunner.

He readies himself for the run towards the door of the target building as soon as the mortar round has done it successful business.



Alan Wicks
M14K (08/20) HK-69 (0/1 HE)
Engaging enemy
Southern squad

This message was last edited by the player at 17:17, Wed 02 Sept 2009.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 490 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 2 Sep 2009
at 16:25
Re: Knock Down, Drag Out
Griet saw the devestation wrought by Dawid's firing and yelled, "Good shooting, execute the previous fire mission as soon as we're stable."

She looked at Adam and said, "All stop and hold her stable here, please Captain."
'Old' Adam Rataj
 NPC, 74 posts
 Polish (NPC)
 Captain of the Queen
Wed 2 Sep 2009
at 23:40
Re: Knock Down, Drag Out
Griet Niewiadomska:
She looked at Adam and said, "All stop and hold her stable here, please Captain."


Tension visibly falls from the tug captain's shoulders as Griet informs the bridge crew of the destruction of the pirate attack boats.

"Aye, Chief. Walter, full stop. Hold her steady."

OOC: The Queen is now approx. two kilometers from the pirate base.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 554 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 3 Sep 2009
at 10:53
Re: Knock Down, Drag Out
Mariusz saw the resistance to the attack rallying and said, "Keep your heads down, only shoot if you are safe."
He kept his eyes on the enemy and awaited developments.
Minh Quyen
 player, 431 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 3 Sep 2009
at 16:25
Re: Knock Down, Drag Out
Quyen holds her fire, and waits for the mortar bomb to trigger her into action.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1028 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 3 Sep 2009
at 18:18
Re: Knock Down, Drag Out
Bayer fights the urge to get on the radio and find out the reason for delay. He keeps the grenade launcher readied and aimed at his target. He could hear Wicks and his men open up, but was relieved he was holding his men in place until the mortar round hit.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1377 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 5 Sep 2009
at 00:53
Re: Knock Down, Drag Out
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #786):

Grunting with satisfaction at the carnage he called up to Griet, "enemy neutralised! I swear, next time anyone says anything silly about how helpless or useless the Queen is I will laugh in their face!"

The tug came to a stop. "Okay, let's get the requested mortar support on the way. Sorry for the delay."

Elevating the mortar to the proper angle and aligning it to the correct mils, he prepared to fire the first round.

"Everyone clear, firing one round fragmentation, 2000 metres!"

There was no need to drop a shell down the tube as there were three more shells in the magazine.

Dawid
82mm Vasilke 3/5
Firing 1 round

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1442 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 5 Sep 2009
at 17:05
Fire and Water

With Walter and Adam providing Dawid with the most stable firing platform that the river tug is capable of, the Vasilek lofts a ranging shot towards the pirate camp.

Several seconds later, it touches ground, exploding in a burst of smoke and dust about 30m past target building (long) and just off of the southeast corner of the second target building, close enough that all firing from that building ceases for a few seconds. Fire from the near house has also slackened, with the shooters behind the bullet-riddled sedan having fled or been neutralized. The pirates inside the near building are still shooting from the front windows but with the tight angle it is mostly unaimed, spray-and-pray fire. Another shooter periodically fires bursts from the small, high bathroom window. None of the fire is particularly threatening, but it is still a nervy situation for the waiting assault team.

Meanwhile, across the Vistula from the pirate camp, the fire support team packs up and prepares to withdraw to Gora Kalwaria. Jan has taken charge of the situation, redeploying the Mk-19 to provide covering fire while the mortar squad limber up the heavy tube and harness it to the horse team. Jan sends a couple of bursts of long-range 40mm HVHE towards the pirate landing force, keeping them at bay long enough for the mortar team to complete its departure preparations. With the mortar ready to go Jan and Anneka lift the heavy Mk-19 and side shuffle back to the waiting horses as quickly as they can. The pirates send a rifle grenade after them, but it lands short, making noise but causing no injuries.

With the ALG loaded aboard one of the pack horses, the team mounts up and begins the journey south, towards home. The pirates chase them with innacurate, long-range rifle fire but are soon left behind.

Meanwhile, back on the Krolowa, Tucker clears the jam in his HMG. The pain in his arms is intense, and the wound in his left bicep has started to bleed again (it's just a trickle, though). The tug is close enough to the burning PT boat now that the acrid black smoke from the raging fire, now engulfing about two thirds of the torpedo boat's upper decks, is starting to sting and burn in the eyes and throats of the Krolowa's crew. Blinking through the tears, Tucker can see a few pirates under the trees on the eastern shore. They've apparently given up on trying to fight the fire on boat their flagship. They seem very uncertain as to what to do next. They haven't fired on the Krolowa yet nor have they returned to their beleagured camp. Tucker and the bridge crew can't quite see up the tributary yet. The tug would have to advance another 100m or so for that to be possible.

One of the small boats blasted minutes earlier by the Vasilek drifts towards the tug. Someone aboard the other boat manages to restart its engine and it heads off to the south, away from the battle (and towards Gora Kalwaria).

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:29, Sat 05 Sept 2009.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 491 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 5 Sep 2009
at 19:23
Re: Fire and Water
Griet saw the damaged motor boat running and quickly switched to the Gora Kalwaria frequency, "Bishop, this is Queen, be advised that an enemy motor launch may be heading your way, it is damaged and may have wounded on board. I doubt it's a threat, but just to forewarn you."

She switched back to the battle net and said, "Sunray this is Queen, standing by to relay corrections."
Alan Wicks
 player, 126 posts
 Lieutenant
 Royal Green Jackets
Sun 6 Sep 2009
at 08:59
Re: Fire and Water

As the fire from the house slackens Wicks calls a cease fire to his squad and tells them to be ready to go after the next mortar round, whether it hits or not.

From his position behind the stump Wicks takes careful aim at the pirate firing from the bathroom window, and fires two shots.

He then changes his magazine behind the cover and waits for the mortar rounds impact. The chill of the air and ground adds to his discomfort as his sweat begins to freeze and his head continues throbbing.

Alan Wicks
M14K (21/20) HK-69 (0/1 HE)
Ready to move
Southern squad

This message was last edited by the player at 18:29, Sun 06 Sept 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1029 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 6 Sep 2009
at 16:44
Re: Fire and Water
Upon the impact of the Vasilek's shot, Bayer launches his aimed 40mm at one of the lower floor windows of the target house.

He then grits his teeth as he immediately realizes the mortar missed. This is costing us valuable time, he thinks. Speaking into his radio, Bayer relays the correction, "Queen Sunray drop three zero meters."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1444 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 6 Sep 2009
at 22:02
Hitting the Wall

Wicks watches the small bathroom window through his sight and waits for the shooter to pop up and fire another burst. He times it just right, pulling the trigger as the man's face peeks above the rim of the window. The man's head jerks violently backwards and drops from sight.

Konrad executes a similarly virtuoso shot, slipping a 40mm HE grenade through the two inches of open window* he can see from where he lays. The grenade explodes inside the room with at least one pirate defender. Bits of glass and window frame are tossed into the overgrown and snow-dappled front yard and smoke begins wafting out of the window. Moments later, the whole house shakes as the second 82mm HE bomb detonates in the road only 10m from the east end of the target house, spraying both it and the building across the road with red-hot shrapnel. Fire from both houses has almost completely died off within the last ten seconds. There is still some incoming fire, but its source is not immediately apparent. It sounds far off and isn't particularly accurate.

Meanwhile, those on the forward half of the Krolowa study the eastern shore, searching for threats or targets for the tug-cum-gunboat's direct fire weaponry. Ondar's unervingly even voice pipes in over the intercom,

"Targets in woodline. Engaging now."

The crack of a gunshot from the bridge roof indicates the former Spetznaz operator is as good as his word.

There is a bright flash of orange from the shadows beneath the trees and a smoking projectile streaks towards the Krolowa, dipping as it rapidly closes the distance. The AT rocket explodes in a violent fireball at the waterline on the starboard side amidships, spraying Tucker with cold river water. The Krolowa barely budges with the thunderous impact. Seconds later, steam rises from the wound, suggesting that some degree of damage has been done to the sturdy river tug.

Across the Vistula, the fire support group pulls back towards Gora Kalwaria, chased from their position by a pirate landing force. Despite their ignominious retreat, they FSG has succeeded in neutralizing the pirates' greatest rivering asset, starting a catastrophic fire aboard the ex-Polish navy motor torpedo boat.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:24, Mon 07 Sept 2009.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 662 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 6 Sep 2009
at 23:44
Re: Hitting the Wall
Tucker watches as he sees the orange flash come from towards the cover the Pirates on the shore as he tries to traverse the HMG around to target them with his wounds starting to bother him now (causing him to hesitate I would guess?).  He tries to use the pain as a motivator when the RPG round seemingly hits and he gets soaked from the explosions spray from the cold river water.  Hesitating enough, Tucker holds down the firing mechanism for the Dushka's and unloads as much fire on that group as he can (unless this is a separate group he saw before?) not wanting to take the chance of missing some and having another RPG round come close to the tug.

Tucker
Starboard Dushka
Firing at group of Pirates on the Eastern shoreline

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:46, Mon 07 Sept 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1030 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 7 Sep 2009
at 01:28
Re: Hitting the Wall
"Wicks go. Get in there." Bayer yells to the assault squad, as he ejects the spent 40mm from his weapon.

Looking the other direction where Mariusz and his squad were lying, he hollars, "Mariusz, cover fire. Machineguns swing onto that secondary house."

While the house clearing is going on, Bayer motions for Quyen to redeploy the AGS closer and where they can cover the south (direction of main enemy).
Steven Drew
 player, 44 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Mon 7 Sep 2009
at 04:52
Re: Hitting the Wall
Drew:

  Drews fingers work the debris from the weapon free.  His fingers run the length of the belt tracing it making sure no more debris is on the belt.  He will reload and bring the machinegun back online as soon as he can humanly manage.

  Angry with himself for such an amatuer mistake he will let the belt flow through his gloved left hand hopefully cleaning the rounds as they slip through his fingers and are fed into the weapon as well as keeping the belt kink from.

  Once the weapon is back in battery Drew will scan and ligth up any deserving targets.

Sgt Drew
M240
Clearing the jam
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 NPC, 324 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Mon 7 Sep 2009
at 07:56
Re: Hitting the Wall
Stoner sighted the PKM in on the second house as per Konrads yelled orders. There didn't seem to be a lot of action there at the moment, at least not a lot he could effectively fire the machinegun at, but that was sure to change at any moment.
Short, well aimed bursts were his intention, and after the first face appeared he intended to settle into slow and steady sustained fire, a burst every few seconds to block of the exits the enemy might choose to retreat through.

Stoner
PKM (90) + 3x100 belts
AK-74/BG-15 (30/30) + 5 spare mags, (1/1) 4x40mmS HE, 1 40mmS ILLUM
Short burst at initial target, followed by supressive fire at windows and doors, one short burst every 2-3 seconds

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1219 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Mon 7 Sep 2009
at 08:10
Re: Hitting the Wall
"Dismount! Anneka ordered after they'd broken contact with the enemy and had found decent cover.

"You two," Anneka called to the man with the mortar and his closest teammate.

"Move another hundred metres south with the horses and take cover."
"Jan, set up the '19 to fire in support of the assault group and cover the north."

Anneka's intent was to once again bring her small unit into the fight, even if in just a small way.

"Kamil, assist Jan, or take over if you think you need to."
The artilleryman had proven to be as devastating as Dawid with indirect fire. It'd be a crime not to use his skills to their fullest, especially as Jan was armed with something a little better than the semi-automatic battle rifles the militia carried.

"You two, she directed the remaning members of the unit.
"Take cover and keep watch with me. Pay particular attention to the north," the direction they'd come from and where they were sure enemy remained, "but don't ignore everywhere else."

Anneka
RPK-74 (30/40) + 4x30
Dismounting and redeploying FSG to both defend to the north and allow indirect fire support to the assault group

Alan Wicks
 player, 127 posts
 Lieutenant
 Royal Green Jackets
Mon 7 Sep 2009
at 08:36
Re: Hitting the Wall

When the mortar round detonates Wicks is up with the rest of the squad as they sprint to the door of the target house. As the ice and snow crackles underfoot Wicks tries to make him-self as hard a target as possible jinking from side to side as he moves forward. With his rifle at his shoulder wicks will try to keep the back of the sedan covered in case one of the machine gunners assistants makes an appearance.

Once he and the rest of the squad are crouched against the wall opposite the door, three on the left four on the right. He indicates to the militia to prime their grenades. He then counts down with his fingers 1 2 3, grenades through the windows.

As soon as they detonate Wicks will grab the handle of the door using the momentum to raise him-self into a standing position with his rifle at his shoulder. If the door swings open he will enter the room engaging anything still moving. If it does not he will fire a single round at each hinge and another through the snub or lock by the handle and smash the door in with his foot, entering and securing any exits and accessing which room to clear next*.

*Whenever he stops Wicks will always crouch next to a wall covering an exit from the room. While moving he will stick to the walls and direct the squad to do the same.


Alan Wicks
M14K (21/20) HK-69 (0/1 HE)
Clearing house
Southern squad

This message was last edited by the player at 19:48, Mon 07 Sept 2009.