Ch. 14: Gora Kalwaria (Part I)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1232 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Mon 28 Sep 2009
at 05:00
Re: Overwhelming Firepower
"We're fine here," Anneka called back to Jan, not bothering with the radio over the short thirty metres or so between them. Her rage had settled into a smoldering anger, ready to burst into flames in an instant.
"Fire indirect on the Hauptman's instructions to the mortar."
With a range of over two kilometres and fourty three high explosive rounds loaded and ready, the '19 could prove a decisive weapon in the battle across the river.
"Let him know you're firing so he can correct."

During her yelled instructions, she retrieved the medical kit from her pack and set to work stabilising the militiaman. Besides bandages, sedatives and pain killers were about the limit of her ability, at least until they could get the man to where she could operate.

"You keep watch to the north," she ordered the last man standing, as much to keep him looking away from the carnage as to act as lookout.

Anneka
"Suggesting" Jan fire the Mark 19 without waiting for an order, using the coordinates supplied by Bayer to the mortar.
Stabilising critically injured man

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 NPC, 330 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Mon 28 Sep 2009
at 05:09
Re: Overwhelming Firepower
Stoner flopped down a dozen or so metres away from Mariusz using whatever hard cover he could find to protect both himself and the machinegunner with him.
"Mari! Give me a target indication!"
The volume of incoming fire made shooting back directly a dangerous proposition. Using the BG-15 on the other hand....

Stoner
AK-74 (30/30) +5 mags
BG-15 (1/1 HE) + 5 HE
PM Makarov (8/8) +2 mags
Taking cover along with PKM gunner
Calling for Mariusz to tell him where to drop a grenade

Alan Wicks
 player, 144 posts
 Lieutenant
 Royal Green Jackets
Mon 28 Sep 2009
at 09:15
Re: Overwhelming Firepower

As the incoming fire slackens Wicks without thinking jumps into the back of the Tarpan, trying not to stand on the prone figure in the back he drops the RPK-74

“"Cover fire if you can.”

He grabs the duel handle of the AGS-17 and aims at the line of advancing infantry firing a 5 round burst the length of their formation.

Trying to make himself as small of a target as possible he angles himself low and side-on as he aims the grenade launcher towards the tractor and fires another five round burst.*

“Militia aimed fire.”

* If the mortar round misses again or his fire is not effective Wicks will fire another 5 round burst at the infantry at the end of his burst at the tractor.


Alan Wicks
AGS-17 (21/30)
Firing on infantry and tractor
Tarpan

This message was last edited by the player at 11:14, Mon 28 Sept 2009.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 564 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 28 Sep 2009
at 11:11
Re: Overwhelming Firepower
Mariusz looked at Stoner and grinned impishly, "Enemy, directly north of my position! Static at present!"

He gave his best estimate for Stoner's fire and edged his way to the corner of the wwodpile again ready to sneak a look when the grenade went off. he looked up at the Welshman and yelled, "Independent fire at will!"

he hoped the Welshman would be replying with the classic, "That's nice of him, isn't it?" rather than thinking the young partisan had gone stark raving mad. he hummed a half remembered tune to himself as he awaited the blast of Stoner's shot.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 502 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 28 Sep 2009
at 14:28
Re: Overwhelming Firepower
Griet returned to the wheelhouse and waited to relay any corrections to Dawid.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1391 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 29 Sep 2009
at 08:49
Re: Overwhelming Firepower
Dawid fired the last round in the Vasilek's magazine and dropped another HE down the barrel, firing on the coordinates supplied by Konrad, then waited for more instructions over the radio.

He didn't reload the magazine, as they could simply drop the shells down the barrel with it elevated for indirect fire.


82mm Vasilek (4 HE remaining)
Firing 2 HE rounds indirect fire at coordinates.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 672 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 29 Sep 2009
at 11:52
Re: Overwhelming Firepower
Tucker continues to scan the starboard side for threats/targets to the tug.

Tucker
Starboard Dushka
Scanning for hostiles
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 138 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 29 Sep 2009
at 19:30
Re: Overwhelming Firepower
"Affirmative."

Cerny pulled a map out of his pocket, aligned it with his compass, took an educated guess as to his current position, then measured the bearing and range to the target coordinates.

He pointed the MK-19 in the general direction, rocked it back to the correct range, and tightened the tilt and elevation lock. The back of the weapon now rested on a disk that allowed fine adjustments to range and direction to made.

(OOC: And that's probably going to take at least the six seconds)
Minh Quyen
 player, 438 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 1 Oct 2009
at 16:55
Re: Overwhelming Firepower
Quyen grabs one of the gas rounds and drags it to the tailgate a low as possible. With each step she imagined (or actually felt) blood trickle out through the field dressing. After rolling over the tailgate and squats down with the round.

"Someone grab another one and go right. I go left." she yells. The third round would stay on the roadside and serve as the center of the gas cloud.

For however much time it takes, Quyen will lug the nerve gas round back down the road, using the truck and slope of the ground to cover her. After a few meters she'll turn off the road and head in 25 meters or so to plant the round.

Quyen
Lugging one of the rounds off to the flank
Slung AK74

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1467 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 3 Oct 2009
at 17:28
Death and Dying

Tarpan-Honker

Minh drags herself and one of the heavy 155mm VX shells over the back of the Tarpan-Honker, landing hard on the paved road. Waves of pain radiat through her wounded leg and up her sweat-drenched back. The The deadly gas shell lands beside her with an alarming clang.

As she pulls herself to her feet and begins hauling herself and the shell south down the road, Wicks climbs up over the squad carrier's tailgate and rises to man the AGS-17. As he grabs the firing handles, bullets tear into his left arm, and left leg. Three more knock the breath out of him as they smash into his abdomen. His modern Kevlar body armor- damaged in the fight that terminated his scouting mission with Ondar- absorbs some of the damage, but two of the 7.62mm S rounds completely penetrate the sturdy fiber, entering his abdominal cavity. He's knocked backwards over the tailgate by the impact of the six bullets landing hard in the same spot Minh had just vacated.

Just as Wicks is hit, two sharp blasts ring out in quick succession as the second delivery of the Vasilek fire mission arrives on target. The first round lands just to the west of the road, blowing apart at least two or three of the enemy shooters laying down the base of fire covering the movement of the enemy infantry further down the line. The second 82mm HE round explodes about 70m short of the first impact area, sending a wave of concussion rolling over the survivors huddled around the Tarpan-Honker. The break in fire caused by the tiwn explosions allows Minh to drag her VX shell 25m down the road, unhindered by accurate enemy fire. It also allows one of the militiamen to rise from the roadside ditch and grab one of the other two gas shells. Two of his comrades in the ditch rise up on their elbows to put aimed fire out towards the enemy flanking group, slowing their advance but causing no casualties. Wicks lies on the tarmac in great pain, his lifesblood leacking out onto the cold, cracked asphalt.

Hamlet

Tom Jones continues to fire away at the western flanking group, emptying an entire 40 round magazine and eating into a second (30-rounder) in less than a minute. The pirates, under heavy accurate fire, toss out a smoke grenade. The dark red smoke spreads quickly making individual target acquisition nearly impossible but creating an inviting area target marker for Stoner's BG-15. Taking advantage of the slackening in enemy fire, Mariusz peeks out again from behind the woodpile. All he can see is a wall of roiling red smoke.

Steven Drew, on the roof of the eastern house, sees no movement under the trees to the east of the hamlet. Two bodies lie motionless where he'd mown them down earlier. The smell of smoke is heavy in the air. The house hit by the 120mm mortar earlier in the battle is now burning fiercely, the fire having spread to the lower floor.

FSG

Anneka secures the tornequet and proceeds to bandage the bone and shell fragment wounds in the man's side. He is ghostly white and responding incoherently. A couple of meters away, steam rises from the dead Kamil's gaping wounds.

Jan adjusts the Mk-19 for indirect fire at the hamlet. He is at the limit of the AGL's range and attempting to fire blind on an area target partially occupied by his own team. Assuming he can hit the intended target at all, firing under these conditions may well result in friendly fire casualties.

Wisla Krolowa

The crew of the Wisla Krolowa continue to remain vigilant, but there's not much to do. No enemy have appeard on the western shore. A couple of small explosions rock the burning PT boat which appears to be in the process of burning down to the waterline.

The port militia gunner seems to realize what he's down. His demeanor changes entirely. His giddy enthusiasm gives way to a troubled nervousness that is equally alarming.

The river tug maintains its possession, ready provide supporting fire to the troops ashore and evacuate then raiding team should the need arrise.

Next Moves?
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1042 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 3 Oct 2009
at 17:50
Re: Death and Dying
"Fock! Fock! Fock!" Bayer screams in frustration as Wicks impacts on the asphalt behind him. "AGAIN!!!" he screams angrily into the radio.

Shimming backwards like an insect, Bayer squirms him way back to the rear of the truck, keeping the wheel and as much of the ground between him and the bullets.

Pulling out his last HC grenade he pulls the pin and rolls in underneath the truck with enough force for it to stop a couple meters ahead of the vehicle.

"You!" he barks to the nearest militia (not the guy with the other gas shell), "Drag him down the road."

With Quyen setting up the gas with one of the Militia, he wanted two other things to happen... Wicks dragged back as far as possible and the AGS recovered (he'd leave that task to himself) before withdrawing.

Bayer
Crawling/Deploying Smoke
Under/Behind the truck

Alan Wicks
 player, 145 posts
 Lieutenant
 Royal Green Jackets
Sat 3 Oct 2009
at 18:05
Re: Death and Dying

Wicks tries to rise only managing to lift himself a couple of inches on his undamaged arm. The pain in his lower body is unbearable, his eyesight begins to swim as he tries to speak, but he only manages to spray blood onto the road as he lapses into unconsciousness.
Minh Quyen
 player, 439 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 3 Oct 2009
at 18:27
Re: Death and Dying
After positioning the VX shell off to the flank, Quyen unravels the coiled fuse. Hunched over, and favoring her good leg, she skips back towards the road, stringing out the fuse as she goes.

Upon reaching the road, she hollers to the Militia and points for him to lay his shell on the opposite side at about the same distance she positioned hers. She then holds up the fuse for him to see and points downwards at the ground by her feet (for him to understand to string it back to this position).

OOC - Not sure if I can do this in this turn...

Quyen will then head back to the truck where she planned on eventually collecting the blasting machine and connecting it to the 3rd round (next to the truck).

Minh Quyen
Desperately trying to rig the gas demo
AK74 (30/30)

This message was last edited by the player at 18:28, Sat 03 Oct 2009.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 503 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 3 Oct 2009
at 18:42
Re: Death and Dying
Griet's lips thinned as she heard the Captain's obsceneties over the radio, Bayer was a mild man not easily given to cursing, things must be really bad out there. She desperately wanted to know what was happening but couldn't hog the airwaves, "On the way!" she replied to the call for fire.

"Dawid!" she called, "put more rounds down range as fast as you can, it sounds really bad down there. Is there anything else we can do?"

She turned to Adam, "Father, our people are dying out there, they'll need the doctor. Once we're out of ammo I want us over to teh other bank as fast as you can."

She spoke grimly down the voice tube, "Engineering, if you can spare someone I want them at sick bay gathering up all the medical supplies we have."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 565 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 3 Oct 2009
at 18:45
Re: Death and Dying
Mariusz yelled, "Fire at the smoke!" as loudly as he could and snapped the legs of the bipod on his G3 outward. He settled the rifle down and readied himself to cover what he could of this flank should the pirates move this way.

Mariusz
G3 10/20
Overwatch from the side of the woodpile

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1393 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 4 Oct 2009
at 08:01
Re: Death and Dying
Dawid paused for a second, mentally counting and figuring the resources they had left.

"Griet, I'll contact Konrad myself, just hold the boat steady!" He said to the mortar crew, "get the last four fragmentation ready, now."

</Blue>Dawid picked up the handset. "This is Eagle, Sunray. Listen: last four fragmentation, firing for affect. I'll save the Phosphor to lay a smoke screen to cover you, on your command. Keep your heads down and may God protect you!"

Crossing himself (for the father, son, and holy spirit) he grabbed the last four 82mm HE and dropped them down the tube, one after the other. The slaps of the propellant detonating and sending the shell arcing away echoed off the shore.


82mm Vasilek (4 HE remaining)
Firing 4 more HE rounds, same coordinates
Rear deck, Queen

Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 NPC, 331 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Sun 4 Oct 2009
at 11:56
Lets ROCK!
"Ready?" Stoner asked the PKM gunner beside him, a brief jerk of his head indicated he wished the man to follow his lead.
Setting himself up for a grenade shot, he trusted the youngsters range estimation before surging out from cover. The launcher fired the moment the barrel was clear of obstruction, a second grenade slotting into the weapon even before the first landed.

He burst from cover to cover, the machinegunner barely able to keep pace.

"Mari, move!"
Now it was their time to attack.

Stoner
AK-74 (30/30) +5 mags
BG-15 (0/1 HE) + 5 HE
PM Makarov (8/8) +2 mags
Firing BG-15 at smoke cloud using Mariusz' target indication for range, etc
Reloading BG-15 as he rushes forward to the next cover
Taking the fight to the enemy hopefully supported by machinegunner and Mariusz (not to mention Jones in fire support)
Firing rifle as targets appear

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 566 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 4 Oct 2009
at 14:04
Re: Lets ROCK!
Mariusz heard Stoner's call and saw him begin his charge at the unseen enemy. The young partisan rolled to his knees and shouldered his big German rifle. He loosed off five quick shots at random as he waited for Stoner to draw level with him.

As the American did, Mariusz lunged to his feet and yelled a guttral warcry as he joined Stoner in his charge.

Mariusz
G3 (10/20)
5 quick shots to cover Stoner's charge
Joining Stoner as he reaches level with the woodpile

This message was last edited by the player at 14:04, Sun 04 Oct 2009.

Steven Drew
 player, 47 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sun 4 Oct 2009
at 20:04
Re: Lets ROCK!

 Drews eyes focused towards the burning building.  He quickly scanned the flaming building making sure no brave soul would try to use the building for cover.  His eyes shifted following the trail of smoke to make sure no one tried to use it as cover to get close to them for a counter attack.

  Drew returns to the bodies and then looks to the direction the rest of the mob has fled.  He will scan his area mostly turning to look at the other sectors as well.  He will also be mindful of where his own team members are at.

  When members displace for better firing positions he will lay down as much cover as he can to help them move.

Sgt Drew
M240
Scanning and laying down covering fire as needed.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1469 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 4 Oct 2009
at 21:24
Where There's Smoke...

T-H Team

Minh drags her VX shell 25m away from the road (to the east) while one of the militiamen struggles to carry a second VX shell down the road and then to his right, to the west. As she finishes preparing the fuse, Minh looks up to check on the progress of the militiaman just in time to see his head explode and his body slump to the hard, cold pavement. The VX shell in its padded haversack lies beside him on the road.

Just as the militiaman meets his sudden demise, a mortar rounds detonates on the eastern enemy line, about 35m away from the road. It's followed by a second and then a third, each explosion tearing a gaping hole in the clearing tear gas cloud from west to east.

Meanwhile, Konrad's smoke grenade begins spewing forth a colored cloud in the road ahead of the Tarpan-Honker. One of the two remaining militia scoots backwards down the shallow roadside depression until he's even with Wicks.  Konrad emerges from the beneath the squad carrier just as the militiaman reaches the uncouncious Brit.

The enemy skirmish line on the eastern side of the road has been effectively neutralized, the enemy infantry either subdued or driven off by the CS gas, or pulverized by the three exploding 82mm mortar bombs. The western line has taken some casualties and has stopped moving for the time being, but continues to fire on the stranded Tarpan-Honker from the north and northwest. One of the VX shells (Minh's) is set and ready to detonate in the shrubbery about 50m southeast of the squad carrier. Another rests on the roadbed, about 25m behind the shot-up Polish Jeep. The last gas shell is still in the back of the Tarpan-Honker, now crewed only by two dead men.

Hamlet

Initiating the assault on the pirate flanking force, Stoner arcs a 40mm S grenade into the spreading smoke cloud, the ensuing explosion right on top of the spot where the enemy flankers were last seen prior to popping smoke. Jones' tracers continue to streak through the cloud. Stoner and Mariusz charge the enemy position, the young Pole firing on the run. For a moment, they are blinded by the red smoke as they enter the fringes of the red cloud. They emerge on the other side, Stoner stumbling and falling over a body. Mariusz avoids a similar obstacle on the other side of the cloud. As Stoner regains his footing, he and Mariusz scan frantically for threats. Instead, they find themselves surrounded by five dead bodies. They've all been riddled by either shrapnel, bullets, or both.

FSG

Jan is set to fire blind on the hamlet but hesitates, realizing that he could just as well hit friendly forces than the enemy.

Anneka meanwhile has completed bandaging the badly wounded militiaman. He's unconscious now and deathly pale. Kamil is beyond any help.

Wisla Krolowa

The tug remains blessedly untouched by pain or tragedy. Aside from the roaring fire aboard the PT boat, now punctuated by secondary explosions from within the settling hull, it is quiet. There's been no sign of enemy on the bullet-swept western shore while on the eastern shore, the enemy landing party has seemingly disappeared. The boat it landed from is also no where to be seen. It could be hidden behind one of the brush covered islands mid-chanel or past a bend in the river up ahead 400m or so.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:32, Sun 04 Oct 2009.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1044 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 5 Oct 2009
at 01:16
Re: Where There's Smoke...
Bayer points impatiently for the militia soldier to continue with his orders to drag Wicks back down the road. He then yells to the other, "Hey! You! Come here! Quick.". Pointing to the gas shell, and then back towards Quyen, he says, "The wire... go back with it. Go. Get out of here."

"Smoke now." he says in the radio.

As the man begins to do so, Bayer then assesses the effectiveness of the enemy fire. If the smoke grenade and the mortar impacts have been enough to subdue the incoming enemy fire a fair amount, he'll do the following...

He'll climb up and over the tailgate, keeping his profile as low as possible. Don't let me regret this, he thinks as he slides up to the front, where Quyen and Wicks both got hit. He won't stand - his intention isn't to observe the enemy or even fire the AGS blindly. Bayer will just reach up, release the latch, then rise fast enough to yank the weapon out of his mount before dropping back down into the bed.

By that time, he also hoped Dawid's WP would impact, further masking his potentially dumb move.

If the smoke and mortar fire hasn't softened the enemy fire enough, he'll simply reload with a new 40mm and stay in cover.

Bayer
Unmounting the AGS

This message was last edited by the player at 01:21, Mon 05 Oct 2009.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 140 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 5 Oct 2009
at 11:53
Re: Where There's Smoke...
 Jan began visually scanning the surroundings, including the inlands, up river, and downriver. He could taste the burning PT boat.

Jan
Mk-19
FSG ambush position
Overwatch.

This message was last edited by unknown at 10:31, Tue 06 Oct 2009.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 567 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 5 Oct 2009
at 18:18
Re: Where There's Smoke...
Maruisz picked himself up and looked at Stoner, "Next time remind me to send you a postcard."

He looked around at the corpses, "Nice shooting, next grenade launcher we loot, it's mine." He switched the nearly empty magazine for a fresh one and said, "Should we contact the Kapitain?"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 504 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 5 Oct 2009
at 18:23
Re: Where There's Smoke...
Griet watched Dawid burning through their mortar bombs, with luck they'd help, she looked at Adam and said, "Prepare to cross to the other bank on my mark."

She shouted to Dawid, "Tell me when it's OK to move, I want to pick up Anneka and the others and see if we can get ready to help the wounded on the other bank."

"Major Soleblume," she said over the radio, "I'm bringing the Queen over to your bank and sending a team to help you to evac your casualties, how many will I need to send?"

She picked up her Tantal and readied it for action, "If you can't get us close enough to the bank, I'll take the row boat over and lead the evac team."
Dave 'Bones' Stoner
 NPC, 333 posts
 HM2 (E-5)
 US Navy
Tue 6 Oct 2009
at 00:29
Re: Where There's Smoke...
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #904):

Stoner grinned.
"Like I said, when you absolutely, positively..."
He directed the machinegunner to take up a defensive position before drawing the butterfly knife from his boot and rapidly carried out "first aid" on any survivors.
"You got a radio I don't know about?" he asked, already on his third "patient".
"Then you better grab any mags and grenades you can. Don't fuck about, make it quick, we've more work to do."

Stoner
AK-74 (30/30) +5 mags
BG-15 (1/1 HE) + 4 HE
PM Makarov (8/8) +2 mags
Ensuring enemy are dead
Directing PKM gunner to take up defence
Asking Mariusz to strip mags and grenades (and anything else interesting) as quick as he can