Ch. 14: Gora Kalwaria (Part II)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1134 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 13 Feb 2010
at 10:21
Re: Ambush!
Jan Cerny:
While the discussion progressed and Anneka looked for a map Jan got up and moved over to Konrad to whisper in his commander’s ear. “I think that Tuck’s taken Jones’ death hard.  Do you want me to go and talk to him about it?  Possibly get him drunk?”


Bayer leans in as Jan talks quietly to him at the table. He shakes his head softly and says, "Let him go for now."

Turning back to the group discussion, Bayer ignores the debate over the trade options, leaving that to be decided by the others. He'll work with whatever weapons and resources they agree to keep or trade away. Instead, Bayer pulls out his map, the one Adam gave to him in the pilothouse of the Krolowa all those days ago. Over the talk of mortars and howitzers, Bayer measures distances and studies the layout of the huge city.

When a moment came, Bayer then says, "I'm not convinced taking the vehicles or going by foot decisively outweighs the other. Both are adequate for the mission. Once we've had a chance to learn all we can about the city and the Baron, then we'll begin detailed planning... everyone here is going, except for the doctor as she's just mentioned. In the meantime, have you come to an agreement on what to trade?"

This message was last edited by the player at 10:21, Sat 13 Feb 2010.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 552 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 13 Feb 2010
at 10:34
Re: Ambush!
"I'd say we trade both the G-K mortars." Griet said, "That way we should be able to gain a substantial amount of ammunition in return. Both weapons are things the locals could have found so it doesn't suggest that they are becoming a force to be reckoned with. I know we'll regret losing them if we find more ammo later, but without bullets, the defences here are seriously compromised. I'd say this is one time where we trade off the possibility of a long term pay-off in exchange for short term profit."
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1306 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Sat 13 Feb 2010
at 11:44
Re: Ambush!
"There is one small problem I can see possibly cropping up. The larger of the mortars was "aquired" from the very people we're considering trading it back to."
"If they think to check serial numbers...."

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 5 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Sat 13 Feb 2010
at 13:47
Prison
Upon reaching the makeshift prison, your nose is assaulted by a foul stench, the source of which is as yet unseen. The next sign of what is to come is the rather large pile of weapons and military equipment.

A military issue pack in standard Norwiegan camoflage has been carefully unpacked and searched, it's contents laid out for inspection. Besides the usual sleeping bag, small tent, basic cooking utensils and typical survival gear are a few items of great interest - a pair of image intensifiers, late model NVGs, a geiger counter, and about twenty large gold coins. Also, and perhaps even more exciting is the M72A4 LAW and half dozen M26 fragmentation grenades.

Another selection of equipment is located even further away from the cell. Besides a set of worn but well maintained webbing is what appears to be a 9mm pistol, a civilian bolt action hunting rifle, and possibly the biggest, most deadly looking hunk of metal you've ever seen! At about five feet from butt plate to massive flash suppressor it's easily half again as long as most standard issue weapons. Each of it's six huge magazines look heavy enough to need two hands just to lift. Attached to the top of the weapon is a lovingly cared for precision telescopic sight.

Gathered together, it's a wonder all of it could possibly be carried by just one man.

The condition of the equipment appears to indicate someone who takes pride in their ability to deal death at extreme ranges, however the bulls horns attached to either side of their kevlar helmet presents a question of their sanity.

Inside the cell lounges a pile of skins, furs and rags, topped by a mass of unkempt hair, and this apparently is the source of the stench.

"Thjalfi!" the prisoner cried joyfully as if greeting a long lost friend. "Er den virkelig du?"
"Der hvor er Roskva?"

This message was last edited by the player at 14:57, Sat 13 Feb 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1542 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 13 Feb 2010
at 15:13
Re: Prison
In reply to Thor Halgeirsen (msg #579):

D<wid called to Anneka as he left, "good point, Major, we'll take the serial numbers off! Oh, and, when we go to Warzsawa I'd like to check out my old bunker. It should still be intact, and it's on the outskirts. I'll tell you later whwere it it, I should really go and catch up to Sgt. Tucker and Lt. Sutherland."

Once they were at where the newcomer was being held. He wrinkles his nose and he nudged the rocket with his toe. "Anti-tank rocket, good. A copy of the RPG-18, I see!" He was mildly impressed by the massive rifle; as an artilleryman he wasn't too impressed with any small arm but this one was still pretty big.

"Ah, a sniper. Well, we have seen them come and go."

Squatting, he looked at the kit and webbing. "Hm, typical NATO stuff. Tough, but expensive to make. Overly complicated. What's wrong with leather and canvas?"

Finally, he was ready to look at the prisoner. A hulking beast who spoke a barbaric unidentifed language. He made sure his pistol was handy, but didn't draw it or charge it.

"Ahhh.. do you speak English? I am Sergeant Dawid Piotrowski, of the NATO-allied Polish Home Army." He tapped his red-and-white armband for emphasis.
Gaspar 'The Bishop' Dudka
 NPC, 2 posts
 Polish Warrior Monk
 G-K Militia Commander
Sat 13 Feb 2010
at 21:05
Re: Ambush!
Anneka Soleblume:
"Now, I would advise leaving the amphibious truck behind. My understanding is that it is unarmoured and therefore not suited to possible combat."
"What are the conditions of the other two vehicles? Are both able to be used now or if not, what it the estimated time to repair them?"


"They're both in relatively good shape, all things considered. The BTR has a hole in its side but we should be able to patch that with some salvaged armor plate. The fire damage in the troop compartment is minor. The SKOT has a smaller hole in its front glacis near the driver's vision port but the driver's compartment is a mess. It needs a new seat and stearing wheel and several of the gauges don't appear to be working. I had X check it all out.

"They're both being cleaned out right now."


OOC: He would know this since his people are working on them. At least one of the veteran NPCs has extensive experience driving the OT-64 as well and there are a couple of skilled mechanics. Now that parts are available, repairing the Stalwart can be accomplished entirely by NPCs.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:07, Sat 13 Feb 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 256 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 13 Feb 2010
at 23:50
Re: Ambush!
Jan nodded in response to Konrad’s comment about Tucker but didn’t say anything.  If there was a problem brewing then he hoped that Konrad felt that Jan could be relied upon to do what he could to help.

As the map was laid out on the table Jan studied it.  “What about places like Grojec, Tarczyn, Piaseczno and Raszyn?  Or any of the smaller villages in the area?  What do we know about them or do we need to check them out as well?  And what’s this about a pro NATO unit somewhere that someone mentioned?  As Anneka said we need to set out some clear objectives and work out what ones can be combined with a recce of Warsaw.”

Finishing his cigarette he stubbed it out on a nearby plate.

“Also as Griet said has anyone searched Milk’s pack?  He might well have had some maps with some interesting intel on them.”
Craig Sutherland
 player, 62 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 14 Feb 2010
at 03:54
Re: Ambush!

Craig look at the newcomer;

”No not one of the Baron’s. Never seen him before.”

He gives the guys gear a quick sidelong glance as he leaves the building. He moves off to the side of the path and leans against the side of the building waiting for Apel to exit.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 643 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 14 Feb 2010
at 13:33
Re: Ambush!
Mariusz listened to the opinions as the went around the table and then cleared his throat, "I think that using armoured vehicles for our scouting mission would be unwise. They tie us to the need for fuel and they are a big clue that we're around. I would suggest that we infiltrate with a small foot patrol using PACT weaponry and a mix of uniforms. That way we have a chance of remaining unseen or being mistaken for locals if we are seen. If we go in with vehicles we issue a challenge to the local powers. As a lightly armed group we might stand more of a chance."

He pushed his hands against the side of the table and leaned back on his chair, "Using the APCs will be like continuing with the Queen, we make ourselves known quickly and we are hard to hide. In fact, the smaller the reconnaisence, the better as we have less chance of being detected."
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1309 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Sun 14 Feb 2010
at 13:52
Re: Ambush!
"Which is exactly why the suggestion to use one only to transport the patrol close to it's goal was made."
"A taxi, nothing more, simply to cut half a days unnecessary walking."

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1135 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 14 Feb 2010
at 14:40
Re: Ambush!
"Alright." Bayer answers. "Settled. We'll go by foot... transported most of the way in, but hoof it from there."
Jan Cerny
 player, 257 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 14 Feb 2010
at 17:43
Re: Ambush!
"Just to Warsaw and skirting other towns and villages?" Jan asked.  "Or checking them out along the route?"

He studied the map again.  "How about the vehicles take us up this road here, route seventy nine, and drop us short of Piaseczno.  We can then scout round Piaseczno, see how it is here and are then only about five klicks from the outskirts of Warsaw."

He scratched again at the stubble on his chin.  "Presumably the Baron has some outlying villages under his control.  Do we know how far South his territory extends?"

This message was last edited by the player at 22:53, Sun 14 Feb 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 6 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Mon 15 Feb 2010
at 00:46
Prison
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Ahhh.. do you speak English? I am Sergeant Dawid Piotrowski, of the NATO-allied Polish Home Army." He tapped his red-and-white armband for emphasis.

Looking disappointed underneath all that matted and filthy hair, the prisoner replied to Piotrowski.
"Saxon? Little bit maybe."
"You not Thjalfi? No. Many too names."

"I Thor the thunderer! You free, I kill many giganten,"
he appears to be struggling to express his meaning.
"Ah, many ah, olbrzymy."

"You give Mjollnir."
The mass of stinking furs stands.

"Give Járngreipr, fight smok!"
A filthy hand reaches out and points to the piles of equipment.

"Give Megingjord, kill trolls!"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 759 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 15 Feb 2010
at 03:10
Re: Prison
Tyucker simply makes his way over to medical to check in on Ondar.  He will sit there with him for awhile.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1546 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 15 Feb 2010
at 08:21
Re: Prison
In reply to Thor Halgeirsen (msg #588):

Dawid was puzzled. "Kill many... olbrzymy? Giants? Smok, er, Dragons?"

He picked up the M72. "Kill with this? I think he's trying to say he was part of a tank-killer team... er, Lieutenant?" Seeing that Sutherland had already left, he was at a loss.

Deciding to take the bull by the horns, he held out his hand, trying not to flinch at either the smell or the likely bone-crushing handshake to follow. "Welcome, friend! I am Dawid!"
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 7 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Mon 15 Feb 2010
at 09:31
Re: Prison
Thor seemed to ignore Dawid's proffered hand, instead looking pointedly at the locked door keeping them apart.
"You open yes?"
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1311 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Mon 15 Feb 2010
at 09:31
Re: Prison
Nodding her head in acknowledgement, Anneka withdrew her notebook and shuffled through, looking for the best mix of personnel from the militia to crew their transport.
"Radoslaw, Albert and Pawel seem to be the best fit for crewing the BTR-152. Albert driving, Radoslaw commander-gunner and Pawel mounting his RPD in the passenger bay. Might not hurt to have Euzebiusz go along too with the RPK."
That would give them three machineguns, including the currently installed PK they had yet to inspect for servicablity.

"So, the ground team will consist of Hauptman Bayer, Lieutenants Avtomian and Sutherland, Starszy bosman Niewiadomska, Sergeant Tucker, Sergent-chef Cerny, Plutonowy Piotrowski, Sergeant Drew, Corporal Quyen and Mariusz."

"I suggest that the patrol be dropped off at first light which will mean setting off from here an hour or two before dawn."

"Do we have any definate objectives yet?"

This message was last edited by the player at 10:48, Mon 15 Feb 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1547 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 15 Feb 2010
at 12:06
Re: Prison
In reply to Anneka Soleblume (msg #592):

Dawid smiled and shook his head, withdrawing his hand. "Sorry. Orders."

He walked back to where the O-Group (and whoever else was interested) was meeting. "Ah, Major, Kapitan. LT Sutherkand said the new guy wasn't with the Baron's crew, then he took off. Tucker must have had something better to do, I didn't see him at all. I left, er, I don't even recall his name, the smelly guy there. I think he's legitimate, if a little crazy."

"I suggest the Queen towing the Stalwart, then driving it in if we go by foot the rest of the way. It's not a former vehicle of the Baron's, no one will know it's us if they see it. Mounting the Vasilek is something they can do here."

"Also, I would like to carry the captured PKM GPMG. That's my preferred weapon!"
He grew sad for a moment, remembering his long-gone PKM, destroyed by an RPG while on loan to the Militia.
Jan Cerny
 player, 258 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 15 Feb 2010
at 12:47
Re: Prison
Anneka Soleblume:
"So, the ground team will consist of Hauptman Bayer, Lieutenants Avtomian and Sutherland, Starszy bosman Niewiadomska, Sergeant Tucker, Sergent-chef Cerny, Plutonowy Piotrowski, Sergeant Drew, Corporal Quyen and Mariusz."

"I suggest that the patrol be dropped off at first light which will mean setting off from here an hour or two before dawn."

"Do we have any definate objectives yet?"



Jan shook his head as Anneka insisted on using everyone ranks as well as their names.  "Anneka, I think that we're a long way past formal ranks here," he said with a smile, "and though we need a structure we're a small enough unit to base that on experience and capability rather than what rank people were before we all signed on."

"I also suggest that we allow more than a couple of hours for the drive so that we can arrive a bit before first light even if there are problems."

Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1313 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Mon 15 Feb 2010
at 12:51
Re: Prison
"Then I'd better go check him out myself," Anneka sighed, not looking forward to having to deal with yet another person of questionable sanity.
"It might be an idea if somebody comes along for protection. Somebody who can speak Norweigan preferably. Failing that, Danish or Swedish would suffice."

Although she hadn't yet interviewed the two new Lieutenants, she had a sinking feeling that nobody would be able to effectively communicate with the rather smelly prisoner.

"Plutonowy Piotrowski, what language did you use to communicate with him?"
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 8 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Mon 15 Feb 2010
at 13:41
Re: Prison
Bitterly disappointed, Thor flopped back down on the cold hard floor and continued doing what he had before the three odd men had come to visit - he waited. Why was everything so hard? He'd made a concerted effort to walk into town in full view of the guards, allow himself to be disarmed and stripped of his armour, and still he was treated as bonden.
He could have easily avoided detection, and the first anyone knew he was there would have been when they found him sprawled over the herskerens throne feasting on freshly caught goat!
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1549 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 15 Feb 2010
at 16:16
Re: Prison
In reply to Anneka Soleblume (msg #595):

"I'll go with you, Major. I talked to him, sort of, in English. If he's NATO, he should speak it some, I think?"

As he talked, he took his maps out and laid them on the table. The Warszawa maps were well out of date, and all were heavily marked up from use in plotting artillery.

"Arpel and Sutherland should mark on the map the extent of the Baron's territory. As far as they know."

"As for the wild man, I think if he really is a sniper he could have probably been a lot more sneaky. Still, a couple times now traitors and saboteurs have walked brazenly into our midst with a smile on their face, looking innocent as the day is long, but we have to trust someone, some time. At any rate, he seems to have some skill as a tank-killer, although he just had one light rocket."

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1660 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 16 Feb 2010
at 00:05
Goodnight and Goodmorning

The planning meeting is productive but you are all in agreement that "sleeping on it" would be a good idea. It's tentatively decided that the planning meeting will reconvene the next morning, after a full night's rest and a good breakfast. Combat, even a relatively brief firefight, it extremely exhausting and what the group needs most now is rest.

Tucker finds Ondar finds Ondar resting in an expertly made-up bed in the wing of the convent currently being used as the town hospital. The Tuvan is just waking up from a morphine-induced nap. He looks somewhat comical with half of his slack face wrapped in bandages. He's speak is slurred and Tucker has a hard time understanding him.

"Hello comrade. Do not worry for me. Today- not your fault. Jones, he make mistake. The mortar, they make mistake. This is war. You are good squad leader. You save Minh. You fight for your soldiers. You be proud. I will be fine. I sleep now."

As all of you return to your billet, you pass a group exiting the church after evening mass. Towards the end of the procession of villagers, two armed miltiamen appear to be escorting a bound man. The man bears a placard around his neck marked with a large red letter.

Lukasz, the Bishop's young runner, notices your puzzled glances and explains,

"He fu... I mean, slept with a married woman. It's his second time so he's being kicked out of the town. Tomorrow morning. He'll be given some food and couple of tools and be sent on his way. He knew the rules."

As Lukasz gives the group an impromptu primer on town justice, Dawid exchanges inadvertant glances with very attractive young lady. She blushes and looks away as he passes by. She could have been a part-time model before the war.

You bunk down for the night. No one is required to stand watch so everyone gets equal opportunity sleep. As you slumber, you take quick trips through strange and sometimes troubling dreamscapes populated by supernatural creatures and forgotten friends.

You are awoken by a steadily growing racket. Your mind takes a minute to adjust to the sound. It's oddly familiar. Some of you haven't heard it for years; others heard it about a week ago. It's the unmistakeable sound of helicopter rotor blades chopping through the cold pre-dawn air.

You quickly dress and, grabbing your weapons, rush outside.

Sure enough, descending from the east, sillouetted by the dim grey light of false dawn, is a helicopter. While you watch, it's running lights switch on, then off, then on again. It appears that it is going to land in the open area just east of the town.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:17, Tue 16 Feb 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 261 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 16 Feb 2010
at 00:34
Re: Goodnight and Goodmorning
Seeing a helicopter approaching and attempting to land Jan grabbed his rifle, body armour and webbing and ran to the town’s Eastern wall, looking for a good solid piece of wall for cover in case this turned into a firefight.

Finding a good spot he propped his rifle against the wall, pulled on his armour and webbing and then studied the helicopter in more detail through his binoculars.  He tried to identify what type of helicopter it was and what weapons it was armed with as well as working out how many people it could potentially be carrying.

“Anyone know if we’re expecting visitors?” he asked those around him in Polish.  He judged that it was unlikely that those in the helicopter had immediately aggressive intentions towards the town.  If they did then they had certainly blown the element of surprise by announcing their presence in this way.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1314 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Tue 16 Feb 2010
at 00:53
Re: Goodnight and Goodmorning
Night

Anneka walked to the cells with Dawid to keep her company. The mass of equipment was impressive she thought, the huge rifle nearly as big as her - whoever the Norwegian was, he had to be strong.

"Hello, I am Major Soleblume, medical officer of this unit. I'd like to help you."
He nose crinkled in disgust as the stench hit her.
"When was the last time you washed? For that matter when did you last have a hot meal, or sleep in a proper bed?"