Ch. 14: Gora Kalwaria (Part II)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1661 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 16 Feb 2010
at 02:39
The Helicopter

Although it's hard to make out much detail in the half-light, the helicopter appears to be an small, unarmed- at least there are no portruding gun or rocket pods- military utility helicopter.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1551 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 16 Feb 2010
at 04:06
Re: Goodnight and Goodmorning
In reply to Anneka Soleblume (msg #600):

"Ah, let's just let the poor bastard go! So he can have a bath, for God's sake!"

[Assuming Anneka agrees] Dawid freed the man, and offered his hand to shake. "I'll get you some hot water. Sorry, what was your name? I am Dawid, you?" Dawid drew him a basin of hot water and got him some soap. Whether he decided to use it was up to him. After, he helped the man get settled in his billet, so he could keep an eye on him.

After the scene with the "scarlet letter", he went by the hospital to see Ondar and the other militia that was hurt by his errant mortar shot, but both were asleep when he got there. He procured the captured PKM from the group's stores, then wandered back to his billet. Once his weapons were thoroughly cleaned (including the mortar), he tried to get a good night's sleep after thoroughly cleaning all his weapons.

Being a farm boy, he naturally woke before dawn so the helicopter didn't pull him from his slumber. Concerned, he grabbed the PKM he'd commandeered to replace his destroyed weapon, and a spare belt in an ammo can. Looking through his NVGs and binoculars he tried to determine the type of chopper and any markings.

When it was obvious the helo wasn't going to strafe them, he started towards the eastern field, where it was circling, looking for a place to land. "Tucker, please keep an eye on that new guy, the stinky one. Too much of a coincidence we have a new arrival on the ground, and then in the air, eh? I'm going to see what these buggers want, I have made truces with the communist government goons before, maybe they're in a mood to talk now."

Leaving the GMPG and ammo can in nearby cover, he stood a few steps away and took out a white hankerchief and his torch. Waving the white flag of truce, he directed them to land in an open spot.

Dawid Piotrowski
Stechkin (21/20 + 2 spare mags)
Directing helicopter in for a landing.
Standing near cover and PKM w/ 2 belts.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:06, Tue 16 Feb 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 171 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Tue 16 Feb 2010
at 04:59
Re: Goodnight and Goodmorning
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #598):

 Slowly awaking from his slumber by the sound he comes to full awake with a start at the sound of the incomming helo.

  Drews eyes wide he springs from his bed and the comfortable warmth it provided to standing in the floor, grabbing for his trousers.  He worked fast, as fast as he did in Boot Camp almost 20 years before.  Now he was pulling on his boots followed by the M65 fieldjacket, he felt a slight cringe putting on a deadmans jacket.

  A moment later Drew was stuffing his pistol in the back of his belt.  It took less than half a second for him to decide.  He drapes the two belts of MG ammo over his shoulder and hefts the weapon.  He grabs the MP5 on the way out muttering,

  "If they're using a helo they're committed."

  Drew knows what a helo means in these times.  If its an assault it is on.  He tries to put the thought out of his head that he may very well be dead before sunrise.

  On the way out of his room he stuffs the two frags he got into the pocket of his coat.  "Damn, I could use a smoke" he mutters as he hits the cold air.

 Seeing Jan as he trots towards the LZ and looks for  a suitable position to lay down fire with the M240 he whispers loudly,

"What the hells goin on?"  as Drew looks towards the helo, its LZ studying its location, size and weapons loadout from the silhuette.

Sgt Drew
M240, MP5 and M9 and 2 frags and Ka-Bar
Rushing to a good position to repel a helo landing and trying to get intel from Jan

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 9 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Tue 16 Feb 2010
at 05:06
Prison
"Frigg?" Thor asked Anneka.
"Ah, three maybe four mĺneder. It hard to eat well dodging tanken and soldaten that long."

A glimmer of gratitude is seen in his eyes when Dawid unlocks the door.
"Takk skal du ha Dawid, takk skal du ha."
Once again he ignored the extended hand, instead grasping Dawid in a stinking bearhug and commencing the squeeze the breath out of him.

"Bath, food, bed. Good."
He pointed at his posessions. "Utrustningen later?"

Thor followed instructions, cleaning himself up and staying away from his equipment until given permission to retrieve it. Once undressed, the furs, skins and rags were revealed to be a very effective snipers camoflage smock, known to US soldiers as a Ghillie suit.

Anneka's medical check showed that physically he was in good health if a little on the thin side. His body was lean and extremely well muscled, finely defined and the envy of many prewar body builders.

Quickly and efficiently he packed everything away into a suprisingly small space, ensured all three weapons were unloaded and bedded down where he was assigned.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1316 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Tue 16 Feb 2010
at 05:33
Re: Prison
Although she couldn't understand some of what the man said, she was able to make an educated guess.
"You've been hiding from the enemy for 3 or 4 months? Were you part of the summer offensive?"
If he was, he was a long way from where he should have been. As far as she knew, all of Norway's troops had been withdrawn home a year or more ago. What one was doing here and now a thousand miles or more from home?
"What happened to your unit? Where have you been since seperating from them?"
Her questions continued, gently probing away to learn exactly who he was and how he came to be under her fingers.
"I see you have some impressive weaponry," her eyes flicked downward involuntarily.
What can you do?"

This message was last edited by the player at 10:14, Tue 16 Feb 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 63 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 16 Feb 2010
at 07:06
Re: Prison


Craig followed the others into the billet and tried to get some sleep. After a fitful night Craig rises early and tries not to wake anyone else. He is sitting on a bench outside the billet rotating his ankle as the helicopter swooped over.

His instincts take over as the others began to rouse in the building. He moves towards the hovering helicopter taking up a position that will give me a clear shot should things turn ugly.
Apel Avtomian
 player, 54 posts
 1st. Lieutenant
 U.S. Army
Tue 16 Feb 2010
at 08:27
Re: Ambush!
Craig Sutherland:
Craig look at the newcomer;

”No not one of the Baron’s. Never seen him before.”

He gives the guys gear a quick sidelong glance as he leaves the building. He moves off to the side of the path and leans against the side of the building waiting for Apel to exit.


"Never seen him before either" Apel says definitively.

OOC: Sorry, unexpectedly out of town for a few days.
Apel Avtomian
 player, 55 posts
 1st. Lieutenant
 U.S. Army
Tue 16 Feb 2010
at 08:29
Re: Ambush!
Apel dresses quickly and moves to a window where he can safely watch the chopper land.  Whoever it was, they certainly had juice...
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 11 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Tue 16 Feb 2010
at 10:01
Morning visitors
In reply to Anneka Soleblume (msg #605):

Thor blushed.

”Ah, I fight,” he said, rapidly seeking some way to answer the heavily weighted question from the extremely off limits woman.
”I swim. I hunt. I sail.”
“I Thor!”



At the first sound of the helicopter, Thor was up and out the door, webbing over one shoulder and huge rifle cradled in hand.

”Smok! Smok! SMOK! he yelled into the half light, heading towards the likely landing location while slipping a piece of electronics over the rifles telescope.

A few seconds later and he disappeared into cover, bipod deployed and magazine snapped into place…
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 644 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 16 Feb 2010
at 10:10
Re: Morning visitors
Mariusz had just finished cleaning his rifle after a good night's sleep when he heard the sound of an incoming helicopter. He swiftly reassembled his rifle and slotted a new magazine into the well. He slid one of his HE grenades into the breech of teh grenade launcher and snapped it shut.

He stood up and moved quickly toward the sound of the chopper, looking to see where his companions were in order to join them before advancing on the aircraft.
Anneka Soleblume
 player, 1318 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Tue 16 Feb 2010
at 10:26
Re: Morning visitors
Anneka waited in cover for further word of what was going on. There was no point in risking herself when there were far more skilled and experienced soldiers available.
"Hauptman, I think you'd better make sure the town's perimeter is secure. I fear everyone's going to be looking at the helicopter rather than where a ground attack could come from."

Anneka
Taking cover well out of the way and waiting for further information
RPK-74 (40/40) + 6x30rd mags

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 553 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 16 Feb 2010
at 16:34
Re: Morning visitors
Griet had enjoyed a good night's sleep aboard the Wisla Krowla and had just finished her rounds when the helicopter came in low over the trees. She frowned and headed for the wheelhouse where her father was staring at the charts and trying to divine where the rest of his family might be.

"Incoming, helicopter," she said, "make steam and lets' get ready to move if we have to."

She got the crew to cast off the ropes and then manned the starboard Dushka, hopefully she wouldn't have to fire it but it was better to be safe than sorry.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 760 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 16 Feb 2010
at 18:44
Re: Goodnight and Goodmorning
Cap'n Rae:
The planning meeting is productive but you are all in agreement that "sleeping on it" would be a good idea. It's tentatively decided that the planning meeting will reconvene the next morning, after a full night's rest and a good breakfast. Combat, even a relatively brief firefight, it extremely exhausting and what the group needs most now is rest.

Tucker finds Ondar finds Ondar resting in an expertly made-up bed in the wing of the convent currently being used as the town hospital. The Tuvan is just waking up from a morphine-induced nap. He looks somewhat comical with half of his slack face wrapped in bandages. He's speak is slurred and Tucker has a hard time understanding him.

"Hello comrade. Do not worry for me. Today- not your fault. Jones, he make mistake. The mortar, they make mistake. This is war. You are good squad leader. You save Minh. You fight for your soldiers. You be proud. I will be fine. I sleep now."

As all of you return to your billet, you pass a group exiting the church after evening mass. Towards the end of the procession of villagers, two armed miltiamen appear to be escorting a bound man. The man bears a placard around his neck marked with a large red letter.

Lukasz, the Bishop's young runner, notices your puzzled glances and explains,

"He fu... I mean, slept with a married woman. It's his second time so he's being kicked out of the town. Tomorrow morning. He'll be given some food and couple of tools and be sent on his way. He knew the rules."

As Lukasz gives the group an impromptu primer on town justice, Dawid exchanges inadvertant glances with very attractive young lady. She blushes and looks away as he passes by. She could have been a part-time model before the war.

You bunk down for the night. No one is required to stand watch so everyone gets equal opportunity sleep. As you slumber, you take quick trips through strange and sometimes troubling dreamscapes populated by supernatural creatures and forgotten friends.

You are awoken by a steadily growing racket. Your mind takes a minute to adjust to the sound. It's oddly familiar. Some of you haven't heard it for years; others heard it about a week ago. It's the unmistakeable sound of helicopter rotor blades chopping through the cold pre-dawn air.

You quickly dress and, grabbing your weapons, rush outside.

Sure enough, descending from the east, sillouetted by the dim grey light of false dawn, is a helicopter. While you watch, it's running lights switch on, then off, then on again. It appears that it is going to land in the open area just east of the town.

Next Moves?

Robert smiles when he sees that Ondar is responsive when he comes to visit him.  He puts his hand on top of Ondar's as he tells him that there were a bunch of mistakes today that caused the death and injuries out there.  "You're a good man Ondar!  I will let you get back to sleep.  You let me know if you need anything comrade."

Tucker cares little about the person that is being kicked out of town the next day, he just goes back to his bunk for the evening and then he goes to sleep.  Knowing that he doesn't ahve a watch to stand, he looks forward to getting a long, good night's sleep.  Tucker's mind wanders back a couple of years ago as he sees himself and a a couple of his former squad members laying in wait for the chopper to get them out of a hot area they had wandered into.  As gunfire is exchanged, he remembers hearing the radio come to life asking them to pop smoke for pick up.  Next thing that Tucker knows is that he hears the rotor blades of a helicopter  coming into the area.  He shoots up out of bed from his dream and tires to focus to see if the rotor blades are part of his dream or real.

Tucker jumps up out of his sleeping area and immediately grabs his M-16A2/M-203 combo and throws on his kelvlar helmet and heads outside to see what is going on.  He walks over to where the new guy is standing and he says to him, "Hey!  I'm Tucker!"

This message was last edited by the player at 18:47, Tue 16 Feb 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 262 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 17 Feb 2010
at 01:03
Re: Goodnight and Goodmorning
Steven Drew:
Seeing Jan as he trots towards the LZ and looks for  a suitable position to lay down fire with the M240 he whispers loudly,

"What the hells goin on?"  as Drew looks towards the helo, its LZ studying its location, size and weapons loadout from the silhuette.


"No idea my friend," Jan replied to Drew.  "That looks like some kind of small scout helicopter to me."

He continued to watch through his binoculars.  "If it's some government bigwig come to talk then he's confident of his own safety."

He also looked around for a senior member of the town's militia.  Someone who could talk for the town if that was needed.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1554 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 17 Feb 2010
at 14:49
Re: Goodnight and Goodmorning
In reply to Jan Cerny (msg #614):

As he waited, Dawid pulled the strap tight on his helmet and checked his vest was properly on. He also wished he had a cigarette; while he wasn't out he had started rationing the few packs he had left.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1662 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 17 Feb 2010
at 23:39
The Helicopter

The helicopter flares abruptly as it decelerates and descends to the ground. It lands heavily in a field to the east of town, bouncing a couple of times on its stubby wheeled landing gear before rolling to a halt. The pitch of the engine changes as it powers down and the rotors slow their spinning.

You recognize the helicopter as a Polish-made WT-3 Soko'l but it's still too dark to make out its paint scheme and markings.

Almost as soon as the helicopter touches down, the left side cockpit door opens and a man hops out. He holds his hands over his head and begins walking quickly towards the town. Over the sound of the dying engine and slowing blades you can hear the man shouting but you can't make out exactly what he's saying. All of you know enough Polish to at least make out the word "HELP" repeated over and over.

You think you can see someone else in the cockpit as well but he/she makes no effort to exit the whirleybird.

The distance between the parked heli and your positions on the town's eastern perimter is about 300m.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:46, Wed 17 Feb 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 263 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 17 Feb 2010
at 23:48
Re: The Helicopter
"These are suspicious times," Jan yelled in reply, "so tell your partner to get out as well."

The engines were shutting down though so it would take the pilot a few seconds to get the rotors spinning fast enough to take off.  He stayed behind the solid wall he'd chosen for cover and let the man approach.

If someone wanted to walk out into the open to speak to the man that was there business but Jan wasn't going to take that risk and was happy to let him approach closer before trying to find out what he wanted.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 12 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Thu 18 Feb 2010
at 00:50
Re: The Helicopter
Peering through the linked Megingjord and Járngreipr, Thor lined up Mjollnir on the tail of the Smok, intending to disable rather than destroy. A Smok on the ground could still be dangerous though, but as long as you kept away from it's head the danger was managable.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1555 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 18 Feb 2010
at 04:08
Re: The Helicopter
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #616):

Dawid moved to intercept the man, drawing his and charging it. He yelled in Polish, "STOP, GET ON THE GROUND! YOU, IN THE HELICOPTER, GET OUT NOW! OUT AND ON THE GROUND, BOTH OF YOU! NOW DO IT NOW!" The man could be infected with something, so he intended to keep his distance, at least 3-4 metres away. Using the torch in his off-hand, he pulled out his torch in the dawn's murky twilight and looked at the man's face and exposed skin for sores or blotches. Not that he knew what he was looking for!

"What is the matter? Who are you, where do you come from? Answer me, quickly!"

If the man didn't comply, he was ready to fire a warning shot into the ground in front of him. As well, if he looked infected, he would stow his torch/gun and pull on his gas mask and gloves, putting them on as quickly as possible.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:05, Thu 18 Feb 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 172 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Thu 18 Feb 2010
at 04:15
Re: The Helicopter
Jan Cerny:
"These are suspicious times," Jan yelled in reply, "so tell your partner to get out as well."

The engines were shutting down though so it would take the pilot a few seconds to get the rotors spinning fast enough to take off.  He stayed behind the solid wall he'd chosen for cover and let the man approach.

If someone wanted to walk out into the open to speak to the man that was there business but Jan wasn't going to take that risk and was happy to let him approach closer before trying to find out what he wanted.


  Drew having taken up a position to cover the helo with his M240 shouts,

"I got em covered."

Sgt Drew
M240, MP5 and M9
Covering the helo
Craig Sutherland
 player, 64 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 18 Feb 2010
at 07:50
Re: The Helicopter

His left hand adjusts his scope to take in the range to the helicopter, Craig centres the cross hairs on the passenger. Dawid seem to have things in hand so he concentrated on the possible threat still in the helicopter.

Several of the other members in the team had passed him as he hobbled towards his current position. He hadn’t seen Apel but if he came past Craig will call him over.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:03, Thu 18 Feb 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 645 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 18 Feb 2010
at 10:13
Re: The Helicopter
As the others aimed their weapons at the helicopter and its occupants, Mariusz walked over to Dawid and stood by him, his rifle held loosely and pointing toward the ground.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 554 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 18 Feb 2010
at 15:21
Re: The Helicopter
Griet reached the Dushka as she felt the thrum of the engine picking up. It would take several minutes to build up enough steam to move the old tug. She checked the heavy machine gun and readied herself for combat she hoped would never occur.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1138 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 18 Feb 2010
at 16:06
Re: The Helicopter
When is became apparent that it wasn't an attack run, nor were there assault troops leaping out, Bayer figured it was some sort of diplomatic run. Perhaps those in Lublin or something.

Although he didn't think anyone would risk losing a functioning helicopter as a decoy over Gora Kalwaria, he agreed with the Major that perimeter security needed to be put on increased alert. When the Bishop arrived (assuming he does), Bayer says, "My men are securing the helicopter. You should muster your militia and have them seal off the town... lock down."

He adds, "Once we've determined their intentions, I'll escort you to meet with them." It was the Bishop's town after all. Bayer then checks his P7 handgun, before placing it back into the holster attached to his tac vest.

After a couple of minutes, once the commotion started around the landing site, Bayer positions the Bishop in building where the two can observe but remain sheltered. "Who has the capacity for maintaining operational aircraft around here? The Baron no? Only Lublin?"

This message was last edited by the player at 16:07, Thu 18 Feb 2010.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 761 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 18 Feb 2010
at 16:24
Re: The Helicopter
Tucker looks over to the new, big guy, and yells out to him, "Hey!  You speak English buddy?"