Ch. 15: Warsaw (Part I)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1679 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 10 Mar 2010
at 23:44
Ch. 15: Warsaw

I know that Warsaw will sometime reawake.
I know that Warsaw, so completely destroyed
That birds no longer wheel above the ruins,
Has not perished. She is just cruelly wounded,
Lost in thought, in a terrible, deathless stubborness.


-Anonymous, 1944

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:39, Thu 11 Mar 2010.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1680 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 11 Mar 2010
at 00:13
On the Road

Saturday, October 21st, 2000
0800hrs.
37F
Thick overcast
Strong breeze from the N
Approximately 20km SE of Warsaw, Poland




You climb into the high cargo bed of the Stalwart, dragging your considerable stock of weaponry and supplies with you. By the time all of you and your assorted gear are aboard the Stalwart, the sun, soon to be swallowed by the low band of dark grey clouds, is starting to creep above the eastern horizon. A chill breeze blows, bringing with it the scent of rain.

Once everyone and everything is aboard, the Stalwart's engine rumbles to life and it starts crawling down to the draw in the west bank of the Vistula. You are jostled about somewhat as the amphibious cargo carrier travels the relatively short distance off road and the acrid smell of its engine exhaust is sharp in your nostrils.

The Stalwart eases into the frigid brown water of the Vistula river and paddles sluggishly across like some olive green hippopotomous. It comes as some relief as it begins hauling itself out on the east bank. You hold on for dear life as it slowly lurches its way up the steep riverbank. Once it makes it on to more level ground, it starts picking up speed. After a few kilometers, you hardly notice the constant vibration.

You pass through miles of deserted countryside. Empty villages line the way, looking like neglected Hollywood sets. The bordering fields are thick with long, wild grasses and weeds. Reminders of war are everywhere. Burned and rusted out AFVs and trucks litter the landscape like the long discarded toys of some child giant.

100 meters off in a field on the right side of the Stalwart, several wolves burry their muzzles in the innards of what is either a large deer or a small horse. They barely pause to notice your passing.

Your driver keeps to the roads, weary of long forgotten but no less deadly mines. The vibration in the floor of the cargo bed grows steadily more intense as each kilometer passes beneath it. After traversing about 10km, a high-pitched whine starts coming from deep inside the vehicle. The driver pulls to a halt. After a minute or two, he emerges from the cab's top hatch and addresses the recon team (in Polish).

"The transmission's winding up. We've got to take her off road for a while so hold on. I don't know how much farther this thing can carry you."

During the time it takes to traverse the next few kilometers, each of you is hyper-aware of the danger posed my mines. In the thick grass and snow-flecked mud that borders the roads, it will be nearly impossible to spot one until it is right beneath the Stalwart's wheels.

As it emerges from a small wood approaching a run-down satellite town a couple of kilometers to the northeast, the Stalwart literally grinds to a halt. The smell of superheated metal and singed oil surrounds you. After another two or three minutes of uncertain silence, the driver emerges again.

"Sorry guys. She's just about done in. If there's any chance of getting her back to Gora-Kalwaria, I'm going to have to drop you off here. It may even be too late. I hope you brought food for three more*."

You look around. Drab fields, dead wood, gray sky- It's all very grim and oppressive. Somewhere to the northwest lie the ruins of Warsaw. And you know that the Black Baron is waiting...

Next Moves?

*NPC list to come shortly.

Please do me a favor and post a combat tag with your PC's carried weapons and electronics in this first turn so that I have an easy-to-find record of what you've brought.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:39, Sat 13 Mar 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 313 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 11 Mar 2010
at 00:26
Re: The Ride There
Jan hefted his pack onto his shoulders and moved forward to talk to the driver.  Even though the pack looked to be quite full and had an SMG strapped to the side Jan seemed to move easily under the weight.  Even allowing for webbing, grenade vest, assault rifle, grenade launcher and other gear he was carrying.

"Someone get the gear unloaded and someone else keep a watch out," he commented to everyone, more making suggestions than issuing orders.

Reaching the driver he switched to Polish.  "Any idea where we are now?" he asked while waiting for Konrad to arrive with his map.  He looked around him, trying to spot any landmarks that would identify their current location.



Jan
F88 Steyr AUG with underslung M203 (carried)
 - 7x30rnd (5.56mmN) mag (1 in rifle, 6 in webbing)
 - 4x30rnd (5.56mmN) STANAG mag (in backpack)
 - 10x 40mm HE, 4x 40mm HEDP & 2x 40mm ILLUM (in grenade vest)
Sig Sauer P226 (in drop leg holster)
 - 4x15rnd (9mmP) mag (1 in pistol, 1 in holster pocket, 2 in thigh pocket)
PM-84 submachine gun w/suppressor (strapped to side of backpack - suppressor in backpack pocket)
 - 4x25rnd (9mmM) mag (1 in SMG, 3 in backpack pocket)
 - 2x15rnd (9mmM) mag (in backpack pocket)
Bayonet with Sheath (on webbing)
IR Goggles (in backpack)
SEM 52-SL Hand Radio (on webbing)
Geiger Counter (0.5kg) (in backpack)

This message was last edited by the player at 12:00, Thu 11 Mar 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 32 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Thu 11 Mar 2010
at 08:25
Re: The Ride There
Dieter didn't feel good. He didn't like travelling by truck, and often got motion sickness. Throwing up on his new colleagues would be a bad start to this mission, so he occasionally sipped at his water bottle and tried to focus on the horizon.

But that wasn't the only thing making him queasy. He thought back to his last mission. He unit had met with a large Soviet force and they had been hit hard. He had managed to get away, but had left friends either dead or dying. Those who had survived were either scattered like himself, or captured by the Russians. And he knew capture nowadays probably meant death - the Geneva Protocol was something for the history books.

As the Stalwart finally whined it's last breath and ground to a halt, Dieter actually felt relieved; at last he could get out and stretch his legs. As the more mechanically minded of the team fussed over the dead vehicle, he took the opportunity to scan the local area, looking for obvious landmarks, suitable cover, items of interest, and of course, danger. He had been pleased to see the wolves - that meant there was game about, and that meant hunting! His hands itched at the thought of tracking game again - he hadn't had the opportunity for a while. He also looked at the skies, keeping an eye on the weather. If it turned they would need to act fast to get out of heavy snow or rain.

Dieter waited for further instructions from Konrad or one of the NCOs.

Dieter Brandt
Scanning the horizon for anything interesting
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio
Hunting Bow strapped to pack

This message was last edited by the player at 18:41, Thu 11 Mar 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1635 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 11 Mar 2010
at 08:46
Re: The Ride There
In reply to Jan Cerny (msg #3):

Dawid sighed as he climbed down from the MG mount. He thought that they should have been going off-road more anyways, as anti-personnel mines off the road were much less of a threat than anti-tank mines on, but that was neither here nor there.

Jan asked if "someone" would get things organised. May as well be him, he reckoned.

"Dieter, Thor, Drew, Sutherland, you're on watch."

"Everyone but Konrad and Avel, please help me unload."

"Avel, contact Dreamer and advise them of our position."

"Jan, let me have a look around myself. I may be familiar with the area, Mariusz too."


Making sure his own gear and weapon was offloaded, he began helping the others.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 80 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 11 Mar 2010
at 09:21
Re: The Ride There


As the fantail of the Stalwart drops Craig is one of the first off, he moves to the side and takes a knee scanning for immediate threats while covering the others as they disembark. He directs anyone standing around to do the same while the truck is dealt with or they move off.

“Keep your eyes open ladies where in bandit country”

Craig keeps the AKS-74U at his shoulder as he scans the farmland in front. He tries to identify any features he remembers from their flight from the city or the patrols with the Barons army.


AKS-47U (45/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
RPG-7D Grenade Launcher, PG-7N HEAT Grenade x 4
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
E-108 Thermite Grenade x 2, RKG-3 AT Grenade x2
No.80 WP grenade, L13A2 CS grenade
UK/PRC-349 VHF/FM transceiver Radio - ear piece
ON1x20/IR "Nighthawk" NVGs
Fire Support Element
Scanning surrounding area
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 659 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 11 Mar 2010
at 17:38
Re: The Ride There
Mariusz grew gradually quieter the closer they got to Warsaw. Memories of a previous life, memories he'd suppressed since the days before the siege of Warsaw. The dreadful look on his father's face as he told them they had to run for their lives, his mother's tears as she looked around the cosy apartment and lives they had to leave behind.

He stared at the icy puddles by the roadside and remembered taht last morning with both his parents. They'd been on a road near here and had spent the night huddled together trying to sleep despite the fury of the Allied guns behind them. They were tired and hungry, the family had always been plump and weren't used to hard exercise.

They'd lost most of their food when a Soviet patrol had shaken them down at the perimeter of the Warsaw defences but Mariusz' mother had managed to hide a few potatoes. Mariusz remembered the pangs of anger he'd felt as she'd shared the morsels of food with the strangers around them. he was hungry and that food should have been for him.

Then some thugs had come along, claiming the food. Mariusz' father had complained to them, appealing to their sense of fairness. Their cruel laughter still echoed in Mariusz' ears as they beat his father to the ground. Mariusz' hands shook as he remembered crouching there, crying and hoping that he wouldn't be next. He hadn't been, his mother, a gentle woman who had caused only happiness wherever she went had launched herself at one of her husbands attackers.

The man had thrown her to the roadside and Mariusz could still see the dark pool of blood gathering under her head and staining her fine blonde hair a dirty black. The men had left his father a broken, shoeless wreck beside the road and Mariusz had waited by his side for two days until his father had finally given up on life.

He'd left them there, by the side of the road, unable to even bury them.

Tears stung his eyes as he was jolted around in the back of the Stalwart.

He hardly noticed tha fact that the vehicle had stopped. He looked around, blinking back the tears and then dropped to the ground and went to stand next to Dawid.

His face was grim as he went to war again, he locked his parents away in the same corner of his mind that held his dreams of marrying Maria and raising fat babies. Life was for others, he was a warrior in the Valley of Death and his only hope was to become the hardest, meanest motherfucker in the whole damn valley.

He chambered a round in his Tantal and prepared to fight the good fight and die with his enemy's heart in his hand.

Mariusz
Tantal 30/30 (6 spare mags)
Bayonet
4x frag
1x smoke

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1639 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 12 Mar 2010
at 03:35
Re: The Ride There
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #7):

Seeing his friend was down in the dumps, Dawid put down his gear and gave him a quick sideways hug around the shoulders. he lit a precious smoke, offered Mariusz a drag. Cancer might kill them both, but odds were neither would die in bed.

"So many bad memories for both of us, my friend. Just get your mind off them, try to focus on what we're doing here. I don't know what you're thinking about, but try to keep focused. If we defeat the Baron, perhaps the rebirth of something good here in Poland is just around the corner? We'll be great heroes, like Joseph Pilsudski and Lech Walesa! Well, maybe you," he added with a grin."

"In the mean time, help me with the bikes. I'm going to see about the engine."

With that, he walked around to the engine compartment, tried to see if there was any help he could lend to the crew, being a fair mechanic in his own right.

Dawid Piotrowski
PKM GPMG + 1 belt, Stechkin + 2 magazines
2 frags, 2 smoke grenades

This message was last edited by the player at 03:37, Fri 12 Mar 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 31 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Fri 12 Mar 2010
at 04:39
Re: The Ride There
Thor pointed towards the south.
"Bragi go there."
"Thor go there."
He pointed east and lumbered off about fifty metres, disappearing into the surrounding countryside.

Barret M82A1(he calls "Mjollnir")
10x telescopic sight (Járngreipr)
Add-On Starlight Scope (Megingjord)
10 rd .50 BMG mag, full x 6
H & K USP-9SD, 9mm
15 rd mag, 9mmP, full, x4
M-26A1 hand grenade, x6
M-18 Smoke grenade, green, x2
M72A4
Bayonet
Entrenching Tool
"Yowie" suit (furs, skins, etc)
Flashlight, Mini Mag-Light
Overwhites
Watch, Military
Individual Tactical Radio
Compass, Lensatic
25x Spotters scope
Light Intensifier Goggles
Geiger Counter
plus more....

Steven Drew
 player, 196 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Fri 12 Mar 2010
at 06:57
Re: The Ride There
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #5):

Drew replies,

"Right!" as he grabs his light pack over one should and climbs down from the vehicle.  He aproaches Dawid and whispers to him,


"We'd better set up a perimeter while we unload,  and where do we want ta stage and head?"

  Drew stands for a bit turning his back to Dawid, but standing near him, as he scans the area around with his hands on his M240 the weapon at the low ready hanging from the sling.

Sgt Drew
M240
Talking to Dawid
NVGs handy

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1643 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 12 Mar 2010
at 07:30
Re: The Ride There
In reply to Steven Drew (msg #10):

From over at the engine compartment, Dawid replied to Drew, "thanks. Set up your machinegun to cover our rear trail in case we were followed, and the left flank.

He called Dieter and Thor over.

"Dieter, set up with Thor, cover the road ahead of us and the right flank."

"We should have enough people to cover 360 degrees."


He spoke to Pawel, the driver. "Don't worry, we brought extra food, to trade or give us a margin of safety in case we're delayed. You're welcome to share, of course!" He clapped the man on the shoulder.

"Fortunately, we shouldn't need you along. If you can, I suggest you try to make it back to Gora Kalawria safely."

Dawid Piotrowski
PKM GPMG + 1 belt, Stechkin + 2 magazines
2 frags, 2 smoke grenades

This message was last edited by the player at 15:31, Fri 12 Mar 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 34 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Fri 12 Mar 2010
at 08:15
Re: The Ride There
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
He called Dieter and Thor over.
"Dieter, set up with Thor covering the road ahead of us and the right flank."
"You should have enough to do that."


Dieter nodded to Dawid, acknowledging the given order. As Thor (who appeared to be a one-man walking arsenal) headed towards the right flank, Dieter followed him. He scanned the area with his rifle scope before finding suitable cover with a good arc of fire and LOS down the road. He settled into good cover, keeping an eye on the road and surrounding countryside.
Steven Drew
 player, 199 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Fri 12 Mar 2010
at 16:02
Re: The Ride There

  Drew nods slightly further aknowledging by a grunt as he walks out a certain distance and then takes a knee.  His eyes scanning his sector, only casting a glance back towards the main body every couple of minutes to make sure he knows what they are doing.

Sgt Drew
M240 and M9
Covering his sector as tail end charlie.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1147 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 13 Mar 2010
at 09:05
Re: The Ride There
Bayer climbs down from the cab, notices the unloading and security is being handled well, and squats down to view his map again. After placing his compass to orient the map in relation to to the ground, he looks up calls over, "Team leaders in here." He then motions for the driver to come over as well, to confirm Bayer's indication of the patrol on the map.

He'd spent the move into position with the map and compass out, plotting the Stalwart's progress. "Here." he says pointing to spot on the map. "Southeast of the city a little ways. We're a bit short of our intended drop point, but it's not a problem. And here is the farm that Lieutenant Sutherland spoke of. If it turns out not to be suitable lying up point, I can't see finding a hide in all of these ruins being difficult. We'll try there first though."

Looking up he says, "Order of march is main element, the drivers with the bikes, and Dawid you pull up the rear with support... Sutherland has a radio so I suggest you put him on rear security."

"Main element will move in arrowhead ^ formation with Tucker, Jan, and Quyen on front security. I'll be close behind navigating, with Apel as my pacer."

Dieter, you and Thor will screen us on extended flank security."




Bayer
G36 Assault Rifle/HK-69 Grenade Launcher
Binoculars
Image Intensifiers (loaned)
Tactical Radio
Map & Compass
NATO NVGs
Geiger Counter

Jan Cerny
 player, 321 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 13 Mar 2010
at 10:32
Re: The Ride There
Jan nodded in response to Konrad's orders.  He had joined Konrad's briefing when the Captain had called for Team leaders even though he wasn't one and had paid close attention to the points Konrad indicated on the map.  It was good to know exactly where they were in case anything problematic occurred.

It was worrying that the Stalwart had broken down severely enough for the three militia men to be forced to join them but that was the way of things these days with much technological equipment and vehicles.  Well that was the case in most of the world - if he returned to France then many of the comforts of life would be available again but he wasn't sure that he wanted to return home.  He felt that the French Government's current approach to the rest of the world was wrong, particularly demonstrated by the mission that had brought him all the way to Poland.

He glanced again at the map.  "We need to set up an initial rally point in case we get split up.  How about somewhere on the fringe of that small town ahead?  Also do we want to make an effort to hide the Stalwart or at least make it look more derelict?"

Once the rally point was agreed Jan then moved off with Tucker and Quyen.  "I'll take the first stint on point," he offered while slinging his rifle over his should and detaching his PM-84 from the side of his ALICE pack.  Attaching the suppressor he chambered a round and prepared to lead them in the direction Konrad had instructed.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1148 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 13 Mar 2010
at 10:49
Re: The Ride There
OOC - Had I been actively online this would have been in the patrol order.

Jan Cerny:
"We need to set up an initial rally point in case we get split up.  How about somewhere on the fringe of that small town ahead?  Also do we want to make an effort to hide the Stalwart or at least make it look more derelict?"


"This wooded area here." Bayer points first to the map, then towards where it stood. "I'll designate rally points on the march. Make sure you look back at them from the opposite side to be familiar with their appearance to how you'll be approaching them on the return. Failing any linkup, everyone is to make for the river, in any westerly direction and follow it upstream until you see G.K. again."

Looking at the huge vehicle, Bayer asks, "Can it move it all anymore?"
Minh Quyen
 player, 477 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 13 Mar 2010
at 14:34
Re: The Ride There
Jan Cerny:
Once the rally point was agreed Jan then moved off with Tucker and Quyen.  "I'll take the first stint on point,"


Quyen nods and throws her pack over her shoulders. The RPG-18 she'd been detailed with was looped underneath the straps lengthwise. "I'll take the left side of the arrowhead." she suggests to Tucker.

While she waited for the order to move out, she leaned up against the Stalwart. He legs were still sore... no painful. Beneath her pants the gunshot and burn wounds were freshly cleaned and bandaged prior to leaving. Figuring there wasn't enough time for a smoke, she placed one of her last ones beneath her nose, and savored the tobacco scent.

Quyen
AK-74 / M9 / RPG-18 / Couple of mines

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1647 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 13 Mar 2010
at 15:11
Re: The Ride There
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #14):

Leaving the GPMG with Mariusz, Dawid hustled over when the team leaders were called together. He didn't really have much to add.

"We don't know if the truck is moveable, Kapitan. We will know shortly. If it isn't, then the MG3 will be added in, probably with the bikes."

"Understood about the rally point. I'll bring up the rear. Also, Jan and Drew had some ideas about a reorganisation of the patrol which we didn't have time to bring up before we left. We may be able to incorporate some ideas on the fly, with your permission."



Dawid Piotrowski
PKM GPMG + 1 belt, Stechkin + 2 magazines
2 frags, 2 smoke grenades
Receiving orders

This message was last edited by the player at 15:17, Sat 13 Mar 2010.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 789 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 13 Mar 2010
at 15:32
Re: The Ride There
Minh Quyen:
Jan Cerny:
Once the rally point was agreed Jan then moved off with Tucker and Quyen.  "I'll take the first stint on point,"


Quyen nods and throws her pack over her shoulders. The RPG-18 she'd been detailed with was looped underneath the straps lengthwise. "I'll take the left side of the arrowhead." she suggests to Tucker.

While she waited for the order to move out, she leaned up against the Stalwart. He legs were still sore... no painful. Beneath her pants the gunshot and burn wounds were freshly cleaned and bandaged prior to leaving. Figuring there wasn't enough time for a smoke, she placed one of her last ones beneath her nose, and savored the tobacco scent.

Quyen
AK-74 / M9 / RPG-18 / Couple of mines

Tucker gets down and starts help with the unloading of the supplies from teh Stalwart and then reports over with his element over to Konrad.  "I guess the right side is mine then!  Not a problem.  Whenever you want to switch off jan just let me know and I'll rotate up to point."

Tucker
M-16A2 [30/30] / M-203 [HE]
IR goggles
2 KM hand radio
R/H side of lead element

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1688 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 13 Mar 2010
at 17:13
On Foot

Saturday, October 21st, 2000
0845 hrs.
37F
Thick overcast
Strong breeze from the N
Approximately 2km SW of Minsk Mazowiekie, Poland



While the team leaders confer, the Stalwart's driver and his assistant can be heard clanging around inside the big amphibious vehicle. A string of Polish curses emerges from the engine compartment. They emerge from the belly of the beast as the conference starts to break up and, covered in grease, return to the Stalwart's cab.

The Stalwart's engine grumbles to life. The driver's asssistant shouts down from the top hatch of the cab.

"I think we can make it back- at least, most of the way. Good luck all of you!"

With a friendly wave, the Stalwart's crew climbs back inside and the six-wheeled truck turns around and starts trundling back the way it came, keeping just off the side of the road.

You watch it disappear into a small patch of woods. The sound of its engine is first muffled by the trees before fading slowly into the distance.

You're on your own now.

The party splits into its various elements and the point team sets off north up the 50. The heavily laden bikes are fairly easy to manouver on the hard-topped road but the "drivers" can tell that off-road movement will be difficult, if not impossible.

The group is dangerously exposed on the road. Aside from the curve of the road and the shallow depressions lining either side, there is very little cover in this area. Fields of long, yellowing grass flank the road on either side. To the northeast lie the outskirts of a large town- Minsk Mazowiekie, according to your maps. There are no signs of life there as of yet, at least, nothing that can be noticed from this distance- no smoke, no noise, no movement of any kind.

As you walk along the 50, which appears to skirt the main part of the town to the west, one of the bike drivers feels a slight tug from his charge. A second later a single rifle shot splits the stillness of the morning.

Next Moves?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...7212,0.2635&z=13

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:42, Sat 13 Mar 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 201 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sat 13 Mar 2010
at 17:44
Re: On Foot
At the sound of the rifleshot Drew shouts,

"CONTACT! TAKE COVER!!"

Drew goes to ground, seeking out the nearest cover, be it a bush, a clump of grass or a rise in the land.

  "ANYONE HAVE A LOCATION OF THE SHOOTER!" Drew shouts.

  Drew scans the woods and the buildings looking for movement, smoke or anything else out of the ordinary.


Sgt Drew
M240 and M9
NVGs
Scanning the area for contacts

Jan Cerny
 player, 327 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 13 Mar 2010
at 23:51
Re: On Foot
With Tuck on his right side and Minh on his left Jan led the patrol off North up the 50.  It seemed like they’d hardly gone any distance at all when Jan heard the crack of a rifle and Drew’s instinctive warning.

Jan reacted quickly as well.  He shouted, “Cover!” before diving off the left hand side of the raised road, looking for the closest piece of cover he could find for himself.  He kept looking along the road towards the North, scanning for possible threats in front of them as he was best placed to observe in that direction.

They must have heard or seen the Stalwart, he thought to himself.  He was also conscious that he now had the wrong weapon ready but ascertaining the current threat was more important at present than swapping firearms.


Jan
Diving for cover on the left hand side of the road and then observing along the road in a roughly North direction.
PM-84 submachine gun w/suppressor (25/25)
F88 Steyr AUG with underslung M203 (slung on shoulder)

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1650 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 14 Mar 2010
at 03:28
Re: On Foot
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #20):

Dawid organised the element with Drew and Coulter first, closest to Konrad so he could grab them and employ them efficiently if needed. Then Mariusz (with a bike) and himself. Sutherland was last, taking "drag" and providing rear security.

Apel was pushing a bike for now, but if it proved problematical Coulter would have to take it from him, and that was just the way it would have to be.

When the shot rang out, Dawid dropped hid pack and dove for cover in the slight ditch on the western side of the road. He then checked his men. Drew and Coulter were oriented roughly Eastwards towards the town, no need to say anything there.

He oriented the GPMG West on its bipod and grabbed Mariusz, handing him his binoculars. "look this way with me, away from the town. Keep your eyes open, in case we are flanked. Sutherland, secure our back trail South."

"Everyone, hold your fire unless you see a target."
Americans had a reputation for blazing away at the slightest provocation. In his experience that wasn't always the case, especially for non-conscripted US troops, but he hadn't personally seen either Sutherland (who wasn't actually a yank, he realised), Coulter or Drew in combat and didn't want to take any chances.

This didn't seem like a "real" ambush to him. Usually, they would all be dead or pinned down within seconds if that were the case in a hail of explosions and automatic weapons fire. Still, that shot had come close and a bullet fired to harass them could kill just as easily.

He gripped the plastic grip of the PKM, snugging the skeletal wooden stock into his shoulder with his free hand.


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM GPMG + 1 belt, Stechkin + 2 magazines
2 frags, 2 smoke grenades
Taking cover, dropping pack, giving orders.
Left (West) side of the road, in the ditch

This message was last edited by the player at 04:13, Mon 15 Mar 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 81 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 14 Mar 2010
at 06:18
Re: On Foot

Sweeping from left to right as he brought up the rear of the patrol, Craig was in his element. He would stop every five minutes or so to take a knee while scanning the rear sector slightly longer.

It was during one of these short stops that the shot rang out. Craig drops to his chest instantly, he quickly scans ahead to make sure everyone else was down and then rolls into the left side dip of the road. As the American screams his head off Craig watches for any movement to his left and right.

He suspected that the sniper was not a professional, if he was he would be moving. He tries to get a bearing from the sound of the shot in relation to his last position on the road.

With the AKU at his shoulder Craig waits for any sign of the sniper, moving brush, dust etc... He tries to conceal himself in the under brush on the side of the road without making any noise.


AKS-47U (45/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
RPG-7D Grenade Launcher, PG-7N HEAT Grenade x 4
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
E-108 Thermite Grenade x 2, RKG-3 AT Grenade x2
No.80 WP grenade, L13A2 CS grenade
Fire Support Element
In the ditch looking for shooter
Dieter Brandt
 player, 38 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Sun 14 Mar 2010
at 07:42
Re: On Foot
As the shot rang out Dieter automatically sprinted a few metres looking for cover, hopefully finding a low wall or ditch to provide some solid protection. Once in cover he positioned his rifle, scanning the area where he perceived the shot had come from. Looking through the scope he hoped he would spot movement or something unusual, or even the shooter himself.

If he spotted the shooter he would call to his colleagues, identifying direction, location and approximate distance. If he had a clear shot he would probably take it, unless told not to.

-----------------------------------------------------
Dieter Brandt
In cover looking for the shooter with his scoped rifle
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio
Hunting Bow strapped to pack

This message was last edited by the player at 06:04, Mon 15 Mar 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 661 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 14 Mar 2010
at 09:22
Re: On Foot
Mariusz dropped next to Dawid and took the field glasses. He scanned the area intently trying to find potential targets for Dawid's machinegun.

Mariusz
Tantal 30/30 (6 spare mags)
Bayonet
4x frag
1x smoke
Observing through binoculars

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1149 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 14 Mar 2010
at 15:36
Re: On Foot
Once the patrol began moving on the road, Bayer ordered the change of formation, "Loose file." he calls up and down the line. "Staggered in pairs... left side and right side." He didn't like the idea of moving on the road, but made the best of it. At least they'd cover more ground quickly.

When the shot rings out, Bayer drops to the ground and unsnaps the quick release straps of his rucksack, freeing himself from the burden. He then lies behind it, using it for whatever cover it could provide.

After digging into his tac vest, Bayer then holds up the image intensifiers and scans towards the source of the crack. "Nobody fire. No shooting." he calls out while looking amongst the possible hiding locations. "Identify the position only."

Bayer
Dropping cover / searching for shooter

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 792 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 14 Mar 2010
at 16:42
Re: On Foot
When the shot rings out, Tucker immediately begins to look around as he moves to find cover.  He watches as Jan and Minh (figures she's doing the same in her post) get off the road their following and hear the other team members behind them start to yell and scream if they see where the shot came from.  Robert finds the best available cover and tries to make himself real small, also checking the ground to make sure there's no 'surprises' left where cover maybe.

Tucker
M-16A2 [28/28] / M-203 [HE]
Going for cover and looking for the shot and checking for booby traps on the ground near him

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 34 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Mon 15 Mar 2010
at 03:58
Re: On Foot
Thor's heavy pack hit the snow with a dull thud, the fur clad warrior already seeking cover and searching for a target to send a half inch wide lump of metal into...

Thor
Dropping pack, seeking cover/concealment
Observing for target and aiming
Barret M82A1(he calls "Mjollnir") (10/10) + 6x10
H & K USP-9SD, 9mm (15/15) + 4x15
M-26A1 hand grenade, x6
M-18 Smoke grenade, green, x2
M72A4
Bayonet/knife
Entrenching Tool
Individual Tactical Radio

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1690 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 15 Mar 2010
at 16:42
Parley

The ground is cold and damp. Your only cover is the road itself and it's hard to see very far from the prone position due to the tall grass that surrounds you. You are silently still as you attempt to pick out the location of the shooter. After a minute or so- it seems like much longer- you hear a faint but persistent shouting. After a few repetitions, you can make out the words (in Polish),

"Hold your fire!"

It's not immediately clear whether he's addressing you, some hidden companions, or both.

"Don't shoot! I'm coming out to talk."

A man emerges from a stand of trees to the northeast, about 400m distant, and begins walking towards the recon party. A white hankerchief dangles from his upraised right hand. He's dressed in civilian garb but you can see an automatic pistol tucked into his belt. At about 300m, he calls,

"You are surrounded! Don't do anything stupid! You harm me and you will all die!"

At 200m he stops and shouts,

"You people know not to come around here! We told you before, we're not afraid to fight you! What are you doing here?"


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:09, Mon 15 Mar 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 40 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Mon 15 Mar 2010
at 16:52
Re: Parley
Hearing the shouts from the newcomer, Dieter observes him breaking cover, white flag waving. Judging the distance, he is certain that he can aim and fire quickly and the man will be dead before he takes another pace. He holds fire. As the man approaches, Dieter scans the surrounding ground, looking for evidence of other people who may be a potential threat. If he spots any he will call to his colleagues, identifying their locations. This call will be loud enough for those near to him to hear, but not loud enough for the approaching man to hear.

Once threats have been identified Dieter will keep scanning, then zero in on any personnel who appear to be leaders or armed with RPGs, mortars etc.

Dieter Brandt
In cover looking for other threats
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio
Hunting Bow strapped to pack

This message was last edited by the player at 16:53, Mon 15 Mar 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 662 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 15 Mar 2010
at 17:42
Re: Parley
Mariusz looked over at Dawid and asked, "Should we ask the Captain if he wants us to deal? We might handle the language best."
Jan Cerny
 player, 330 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 15 Mar 2010
at 18:20
Re: Parley
Jan had luckily picked the correct side of the road when he'd dived for cover on the left but that meant that the first he knew of the man was as a result of his yelling.  During the minute or so that it had taken for the man to make himself known however Jan had slung his PM-84 and switched to his Steyr.

"Hold your fire but keep scanning around for other targets," he said to Minh loud enough, he hoped, for Tuck to also hear.  Jan then crawled a little further north alongside the road before turning and crawling up to the edge of the raised tarmac.  Using a combination of the long grass and the road's slight embankment as cover Jan firstly glanced towards Tuck to check that he was ok and then pulled out his binoculars to start scanning the woods behind the spokesman, trying to spot his claimed allies.

As he listed to what the man said Jan thought to himself that their little patrol might well have just gotten lucky and found someone else who was standing up to the Baron.  Or the Baron's forces themselves and they were standing up to the Polish Army which meant that they were in trouble.

Lowering his binoculars Jan then keyed the send button on his radio.  "Hailstorm one this is Hailstorm five.  I think that I'm closest to the man.  Do you want me to talk to him or do you want one of the Poles to explain who we are?  National compatriots might be best.  He looks civilian not military."
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 35 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Mon 15 Mar 2010
at 21:35
Re: Parley
Thor stood up, threw Mjollnir over his shoulder in a decidedly unmilitary manner, and began to jog forward. He totally ignored any cries to take cover or queries as to what he was doing.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:17, Tue 16 Mar 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1657 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 00:57
Re: Parley
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #32):

Dawid replied, "don't worry, if the Kapitan thinks we're the best to negotiate, he'll let us know."

He rolled his eyes when Thor jumped up and started walking over.

"That guy's a terrible sniper. Dieter's going to have to sit on him in the future to make sure he doesn't kill us all. What a complete idiot, we may have been better off with him going back with the Stolly. Oh well. Mariusz, keep watching the left flank."

He raised his voice. "Sutherland, keep an eye on our back trail. Kapitan, want me to go out as well and see what he wants? Probably thinks we're either government or Baron's troops."

Dawid Piotrowski
PKM GPMG + 1 belt, Stechkin + 2 magazines
2 frags, 2 smoke grenades
Waiting

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 793 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 01:06
Re: Parley
Jan Cerny:
Jan had luckily picked the correct side of the road when he'd dived for cover on the left but that meant that the first he knew of the man was as a result of his yelling.  During the minute or so that it had taken for the man to make himself known however Jan had slung his PM-84 and switched to his Steyr.

"Hold your fire but keep scanning around for other targets," he said to Minh loud enough, he hoped, for Tuck to also hear.  Jan then crawled a little further north alongside the road before turning and crawling up to the edge of the raised tarmac.  Using a combination of the long grass and the road's slight embankment as cover Jan firstly glanced towards Tuck to check that he was ok and then pulled out his binoculars to start scanning the woods behind the spokesman, trying to spot his claimed allies.

As he listed to what the man said Jan thought to himself that their little patrol might well have just gotten lucky and found someone else who was standing up to the Baron.  Or the Baron's forces themselves and they were standing up to the Polish Army which meant that they were in trouble.

AS long as Tucker was able to hear Jan, he will do as he was told and begin to scan for any other targets than the single figure that just popped out.  He gives Jan a thumbs up that he's OK and goes back to scanning.  He call out anything that he may see as a threat.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1691 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 02:10
Re: Parley

As the giant approaches, the man in the field is instantly on his guard. He lowers one hand towards Thor in a gesture clearly meaning "halt" while the other stretches out behind him in a similar gesture aimed at his hidden comrades.

"Hold it right there! Don't move another centimeter! This is your last warning!"
Craig Sutherland
 player, 82 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 06:57
Re: Parley
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
He rolled his eyes when Thor jumped up and started walking over.

He raised his voice. "Sutherland, keep an eye on our back trail. Kapitan, want me to go out as well and see what he wants? Probably thinks we're either government or Baron's troops."


As the Norwegian sniper entered his sight line Craig utters;

 “Ah for fuck sake, comedic relief is going to die.”

Craig wasn't close enough to make a dash to the snipers position even if he had wanted to. He knew very well that actions of those sort  would get you killed out here in very short order.

He shakes his head in frustration, they should of come in with just what they could carry on their backs. Within minutes they had been spotted by a potential foe and while they are not operating like the barons men, it doesn't make them any less of a threat.

He grips the AKU a little harder and goes back to scanning the far side of the field and down the road for additional targets making as little movement as possible.
Jan Cerny
 player, 331 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 10:04
Re: Parley
Jan hadn't really spoken to the big Norwegian and he suspected that he might never get the chance to.

When Jan had first spotted Thor jogging forward his instant thought had been that Thor knew the man ahead.  But the spokesman's reaction indicated that he didn't know Thor and that meant that Thor was in danger of turning this encounter hostile.  At best Thor's actions were impetuous, at worst they were designed to instigate a firefight.

Jan wasn't even sure whether Thor could understand the spokesman as the spokesman was yelling to them in Polish.  From what he had been told Jan had thought that Thor was a professional, a Norwegian Marine Commando, and someone to be respected.  He was demonstrating though that he was an amateur and couldn't be trusted or relied on.

Unsure what to do Jan dropped his binoculars back on their strap and aimed his rifle at the woods behind the Polish spokesman, using the 1.5x sight to scan for potential threats.

If they shot Thor though he wasn't completely sure that he would fire back.  At the present moment he was wondering if they would be better off without Thor accompanying them.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 663 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 10:30
Re: Parley
Mariusz spoke softly to Dawid, "If they shoot him, I get first go with his gun."
Dieter Brandt
 player, 41 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 11:27
Re: Parley
Cap'n Rae:
As the giant approaches, the man in the field is instantly on his guard. He lowers one hand towards Thor in a gesture clearly meaning "halt" while the other stretches out behind him in a similar gesture aimed at his hidden comrades.

"Hold it right there! Don't move another centimeter! This is your last warning!"


Dieter catched Thor's movement in the corner of his eye. He cannot believe the idiocy of the man. He is clearly deranged. Looking back to the approaching newcomer who is clearly surprised by this move, Dieter readies his aim. This could turn nasty very quickly, and he didn't want to be caught out. Seeing the man's gesture to hidden comrades, he continues to scan the surrounding area looking for possible targets, as well as good hiding places.

OOC - I will hold fire if Thor is fired upon, but will retaliate if they attack us in force.

Dieter Brandt
In cover looking for other threats
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio
Hunting Bow strapped to pack

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 36 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 12:53
Re: Parley
Thor halted as instructed, Mjollnir's barrel held firmly in one hand with the rest of the weapon balanced over his shoulder.

"Loki," he said, disappointment and hurt clearly in his voice.
"Ty widzieć mi?"
His free hand tapped upon his chest.
"Tylny wszystko mamy poszedł zrobiony?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1151 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 13:14
Re: Parley
Still lying behind his rucksack, Bayer nods over his shoulder and replies back down the line, "Ja. Dawid talk to him. I think we are misidentified, but don't tell him much. Leave the GPMG with someone."

As Dawid gets up, Bayer turns his head over to the flank and gives Dieter a stern look. He the points at him with an extended finger before jabbing in the air towards the Norwegian. "Erhalten Sie Steuerung von ihm. Oder ich erhalte jemand anderes, das kann. Verstehen Sie?" Bayer then resumes observing to the front, while thinking he was a little hard on Dieter, but hope he understood his reasoning behind it.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:15, Tue 16 Mar 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 44 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 13:33
Re: Parley
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #43):

Hearing Bayer's command, Dieter turns to look at him, a slight look of panic breaking through the normal teutonic stoicism. What should he do? The sane person in him said leave the crazy Norwegian to his own fate, but the German in him said he should follow Hauptmann Bayer's command.

He had never wanted to be a soldier, he was only here because he was conscripted when the war started. He didn't want to have other men's fates in his hands, which is why he had refused that commission into the military engineers.

He turned back to where Thor was walking, and did all he could think of. He shouted in English, "Thor, get back!"

Then in broken Polish, he shouted to the other man, "Don't shoot, don't shoot!"

He hoped these commands would work, but wasn't going to break cover and risk getting himself shot, no matter what Bayer might say. Hopefully he would act on his threat and get someone else to take charge of the situation.

Dieter Brandt
In cover, shouting at Thor and the newcomer
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio
Hunting Bow strapped to pack

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1658 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 15:04
Re: Parley
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #43):

Dawid grunted out a short chuckle in reply, not wanting to interrupt Konrad. After listening to his instructions he got up. "Mariusz, you're gunner now. Sutherland, you have command of the MG team." He left the PKM there for Mariusz, but didn't draw his sidearm.

Jogging over to where Thor waited by the man, Dawid was relieved that somehow the man hadn't taken offense enough to shoot him. He was sure this wasn't a real ambush, although if the town wanted to keep someone away like bandits or the Baron's men then a random shot wasn't going to do much more than piss someone off.

He said in Polish, "Please, for the love of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa, don't shoot, my friend. We're just passing through, and we're not with the Baron or anyone else."

Dawid kept his hands on his head, fingers interlaced. "Please, there is no need for violence."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 664 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 15:18
Re: Parley
Mariusz slid in behind the machinegun and covered his comrade as he followed the shamboling bear creature that had joined them.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1692 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 15:49
Re: Parley
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
He said in Polish, "Please, for the love of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa, don't shoot, my friend. We're just passing through, and we're not with the Baron or anyone else."

Dawid kept his hands on his head, fingers interlaced. "Please, there is no need for violence."


With the appearance of a well spoken and seemingly rational countryman, the spokesman seems to relax just a little but he is still clearly on guard. His tone remains rather unfriendly.

"Then pass on through- but stay away from Minsk Mozowiekie. We don't want any trouble but if you don't go on your way right now, you won't live to regret it, understand? We'll be watching. Now fuck off!"

With that, he starts backing away. After several meters, he turns around but frequently looks back over his shoulder as he continues to vacate the field.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:01, Wed 17 Mar 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1660 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 02:33
Re: Parley
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #47):

Dawid didn't know if mentioning they were looking for friends who were against the Black Baron was a good idea or not. If they were neutral, giving away that information may not do them any good and it might get back to the Baron.

Still, it looked like he would have to throw the dice if this opportunity were not to be lost.

"Please excuse me, sir, I am Dawid. We have been fighting the Black Baron's troops, and wish to know if you are having troubles as well. I am with the Home Army and Free Polish government, we're not with the communists in Lublin or some warlord's bullies. Perhaps we can help?"

It was a long shot, but he wanted to keep the dialogue going for as long as he could, get at least a little more information. Even if the man was just worried about bandits and not the Baron's troops, that was something good to know.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:05, Wed 17 Mar 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 38 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 02:50
Re: Parley
Thor looked on, puzzled by the rapid exchange of words he barely understood at the best of times, struggling to make sense of the quickly changing situation.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 83 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 07:18
Re: Parley

Craig continued to switch his view from down the road and back towards the edge of the field. If anyone got killed because of the fool in front Craig would take out that guy first.

Craig acknowledge the order from Dawid with a nod and covered him as he moved forward.


AKS-47U (45/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
RPG-7D Grenade Launcher, PG-7N HEAT Grenade x 4
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
E-108 Thermite Grenade x 2, RKG-3 AT Grenade x2
No.80 WP grenade, L13A2 CS grenade
Fire Support Element
Scanning surrounding area

This message was last edited by the player at 07:19, Wed 17 Mar 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 336 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 10:06
Re: Parley
Jan smiled to himself as Dawid turned on the charm, talking like some kind of relationship councillor and not like a Sergeant!

Jan continued to listen and to scan the trees the spokesman was heading back towards.  Maybe this was just a big bluff and they didn't have much of a militia but it seemed like they were able to stay outside of the control of the Baron.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1152 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 13:20
Re: Parley
Still lying, Bayer looks back at Dieter. He was glad he didn't get up and run after him. "Brandt." he calls quietly, "Good for now. I meant in the future... like next time. Let him go now."

He then looks back at the envoy walking away from Dawid. He was releived that the situation seemed resolved (the most part). Not only that, but he'd hadn't put all of his hopes on the first inhabitants they'd come across as suddenly becomming loyal allies either. Even if they weren't friends of the Baron didn't mean they we're all going to fall in line with us, he thought.

Bayer then rises up on one knee and watches to see if the Dawid's last efforts would yield anything helpful. Failing that, he'd put his ruck back on and ready the patrol to head out.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1696 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 21:35
Re: Parley
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Please excuse me, sir, I am Dawid. We have been fighting the Black Baron's troops, and wish to know if you are having troubles as well. I am with the Home Army and Free Polish government, we're not with the communists in Lublin or some warlord's bullies. Perhaps we can help?"

It was a long shot, but he wanted to keep the dialogue going for as long as he could, get at least a little more information. Even if the man was just worried about bandits and not the Baron's troops, that was something good to know.


"Our troubles are our own business. I doubt the likes of him..." he points at the burly and socially awkward Norwegian "can help us. Just leave us alone and we'll do the same. This is the last time I'm going to tell you- fuck off!"

With that, the man jogs off towards the trees. Straining his neck to see above the tall grass, Dieter spots another armed man (or woman) in a clump of bushes a couple of dozen meters from the trees towards which the spokesman is returning. The figure is looking over the sights of a rifle with a wooden foregrip at Thor and Dawid.

The spokesman enters the stand of trees. A few tense seconds pass during which you wonder if the uneasy truce will hold. When there are no more shots, Konrad orders the column to stand and move out, following the 50 north towards the farm Craig where had found shelter and succor earlier in the summer. With each step, you can't help but anticipate the impact of a bullet in the back but no bullets come and you are soon several hundred meters from the outpost. The low outline of Mink  Mazowieki passes on your right. The townspeople appear not yet to have fallen under the Baron's sway, but they aren't exactly very welcoming to newcomers either.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:18, Thu 18 Mar 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 338 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 23:18
Re: Parley
Jan shook his head slightly to himself as the Polish spokesman from the nearby town withdrew into the woods with his final words of warning.  The big Norwegian had certainly made a bad first impression and Jan couldn’t help wondering whether the reaction would have been better if Thor hadn’t startled the spokesman by jogging towards him.

On reflection though Thor’s actions had probably made no difference to the reception they had received as Jan assumed that the inhabitants of Minsk Mozowiekie were isolationist in their outlook.  That put them in the useful intelligence category and labelled them as a possible community for the Bishop to try to contact in the future.

It also told them that the Baron’s forces hadn’t been able to force Minsk Mozowiekie to accept the rule of the Black Baron and that was also interesting.  It suggested that the Minsk Mozowiekie community were strong enough and large enough to resist him.

The more immediate problem for their little unit however was that Thor had certainly labelled himself as a potential problem for the future.  Even if he had been acting with the best of intentions his impetuousness could well get them all into trouble in the future.  Maybe Konrad needed to have a chat to the Norwegian to set out his expectations of the sniper and the role he should try to fulfil.  That was a problem for when they camped though.

Before moving off again Jan quickly removed the suppressor from the PM-84, stowed the SMG on the side of his pack and hefted his Steyr in preparation to continue leading the patrol Northwards along the 50.  The bikes were going to be problematic off the road but cross country was certainly Jan’s preferred option so he kept looking for a passable route away from the road that led them in the right direction.

He also kept a look out for a good spot to lay up for the rest of the day.  They needed to get past Minsk Mozowiekie now but their original plan had been to travel at night in order to avoid contact as much as possible.

Once they were starting to put Minsk Mozowiekie behind them Jan pressed the send button on his radio to transmit a message.  “Are we still looking to find somewhere to lay up for the rest of the day before continuing tonight?” he asked in English.


Jan
F88 Steyr AUG with underslung M203
Leading the patrol northwards along the 50.
- If we can travel away from the road then Jan will lead everyone that way as long as it's in the right direction and away from Minsk Mozowiekie.
- If we decide to lay up for the day then Jan will look for a suitable spot to do so.
- If we continue travelling for a while then Jan will swap point with Tuck and Minh (if she’s happy going on point) after a couple of hours.

Apel Avtomian
 player, 63 posts
 1st. Lieutenant
 U.S. Army
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 06:43
Re: Parley
"What the fuck was that about?" ask Apel.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 39 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 07:27
Re: Parley
Thor stood in stunned silence as the man once again issued his foul mouthed instruction to leave.
Finally he shrugged and turned to retrieve his pack.
"He come round. Loki not always like that."
"He good man. He not like others know."


Back on the march, he lumbered along from cover to cover, watching his assigned area with hawklike intensity, often spotting potential hazards long before anyone else and covering them with his rifle as everyone passed by.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 47 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 08:50
Re: Parley
Cap'n Rae:
With that, the man jogs off towards the trees. Straining his neck to see above the tall grass, Dieter spots another armed man (or woman) in a clump of bushes a couple of dozen meters from the trees towards which the spokesman is returning. The figure is looking over the sights of a rifle with a wooden foregrip at Thor and Dawid.


Dieter smiles gently at spotting the armed man in the bushes. 'Our sniper spotted their sniper,' he thought to himself. He kept this man in is sights until the Polish man rejoined him, and they had moved away. He kept scanning the area for a while, until Bayer ordered them to move out. With that he stood up and gathered up his kit, preparing to move.

As Thor casually picked up his kit and lumbered off, Dieter stared coldly into the back of his head. He could not believe the stupidity of the man. How this man ever made it as a sniper is a mystery. The fact that he is still alive is a miracle.

Dieter resolved to speak to Konrad when they broke for camp. Dieter didn't want to be responsible for this man, especially now he had proved to be a dangerous loose cannon. Thor was likely to do something stupid again, and Dieter didn't want to be near him when it happened.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 84 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 09:37
Re: Parley

Craig watched the exchange between Dawid and the representative, these towns would not be easy to win over. Once the order to move was given Craig concentrated on discouraging any followers and watching their backs.

At one of the longer stops Craig moves forwards to look at the maps the German Captain was consulting. He tries to give a direct route to the farm he has spent several months in, hopefully the family would still be there if they make it.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1662 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 13:34
Re: Parley
In reply to Thor Halgeirsen (msg #56):

Dawid's only parting words were, "go with God, my friend!" He didn't think it would be prudent to mention that their half-assed harassment had been totally useless. After all, if they had been spoiling for a fight then they carried enough firepower to level the town of Minsk Mozowiekie, or close enough.

"Don't worry, Thor, I think they don't like anyone! Just don't do that again, you are too valuable to risk. Besides, I thought a sniper shouldn't be seen?" he asked, rhetorically.

He turned around and followed Thor, wishing he could have a smoke. While there might be a time and place for that, he couldn't have one of his preciously hoarded cigarettes while in the field or on the march.

After re-joining the column, he picked up the GPMG from Mariusz and got the support team organised to move.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 40 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 13:45
Re: Parley
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #59):

Thor looked at Dawid with confusion ib his eyes before pointong towards where the man had disappeared.
"He Loki, no danger. He friend just scared. Many giganten here. Many trolls. Must fight, keep safe."
Minh Quyen
 player, 479 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 15:11
Re: Parley
After setting off again following their little delay, Quyen waves over at Jan until he notices, "Point?" she volunteers. Then nodding over towards Tucker, she says, "Sergeant can take it last when we get closer to the farm."

Whether she takes the lead position or not, Quyen will advance placing as much effort as possible into detecting both possible "enemy" positions and other danger areas (such as any sign of a minefield).
Jan Cerny
 player, 341 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 18:52
Re: Parley
Jan nodded in response to Minh when she offered to take a stint on point and he moved to take over her original position, backing her up in their triangular formation the same way she had backed him up.

He kept his eyes and ears open, scanning his arc on their line of march.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 665 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 19:04
Re: Parley
Mariusz returned the GPMG to Dawid and got ready to head out again. He looked at the hairy horny one once more and said quietly, "Just because he survived this time doesn't mean I give up first dibs on his gun."
Steven Drew
 player, 206 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Fri 19 Mar 2010
at 02:45
Re: Parley

  Drew watched the scene unfold as he scanned the treeline looking for targets prepared to lay down a barrage of covering fire.  It didn't happen this time.

  Drew tried to wrap his mind around all that had gone wrong.  He moves to a knee before standing up and mutters,


"Fuckin cluster....fuck it, we all gotta die sometime."  As he shoulders his pack and then slings his M240.

  Drew stands there a moment watching the woods still just in case the folks changed their minds.  He waits until the patrol starts moving and takes his place in the route of march, continuing to watch the wooded areas.

  As they march he continualy scans the area, watching the countryside for potantial ambush points or any other area that an attack could come from.

Sgt Drew
M240
Watching for danger as he marches

Apel Avtomian
 player, 64 posts
 1st. Lieutenant
 U.S. Army
Fri 19 Mar 2010
at 06:25
Re: Parley
Apel continues to push his bike along.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1666 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 19 Mar 2010
at 13:12
Re: Parley
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #63):

"Snipers in this group seem to die alot. This means you may get your wish, but then you become the sniper! Sure you want the job?"

He slid the sling for the GPMG over his shoulder, made it as comfortable as possible. When everyone was ready, he signalled them to advance.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 666 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 19 Mar 2010
at 16:31
Re: Parley
Mariusz shrugged, "If the gun is big enough, it's worth the risk. So, when are you going to start teaching me to use the really big stuff?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1154 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 19 Mar 2010
at 17:04
Re: Parley
After rucking up again, Bayer says, "Alright... let's go. Loose file, alternating in pairs on each side." He the motions for Quyen to start leading off, while he digs out his compass again to check the next nav point.

"About five thousand, five hundred meters until we stop to get eyes on the farm. Halfway on the road before we try to go cross country... if its possible. You three up there alternate yourselves based on that." he adds.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:08, Fri 19 Mar 2010.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1699 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 19 Mar 2010
at 20:02
The Farm

Saturday, October 21st, 2000
1530 hrs.
42F
Thick overcast
Strong breeze from the N
Approximately 5km north of Minsk Mazowiekie, Poland



You continue north along the 50. A little over a kilometer from a small hamlet your maps identify as Arynow, you come to a road branching off to the northeast. Craig, at the rear of the column spots a young man on a bicycle, apparently following the group at some distance on the 50. The boy stops at around 500m from the recon team and studies them through binoculars. After a minute or two, the boy puts down the binos and pulls a square of green cloth from his jacket. He waves the cloth towards someone further to the east. It looks like the team has picked up a tail.

You hike up the smaller, unnamed road towards a small wood. It's hard not to feel naked as you move through the open country. Although you don't spot anyone else, you are certain that you are being watched by others beside the young cyclist. Still keeping his distance, he stops at the intersection you just passed and watches a bit longer before following again. At the next west-east road he pauses again, studies you through his binos, waves his makeshift semaphore, and then pedals away to the east.

You arrive at the small wood and take a break for lunch. The iron rations provided by Gora-Kalwaria are a little salty but surprisingly good overall. After an hour or so during which you eat, rest your feet, and empty your bladders- all while keeping a 360 degree watch- you set off again, pushing on towards the farm where you plan on spending the night. After clearing the woods, you detect no further surveilance of your party. You proceed north, passing several small homesteads along the way. None of them appear occupied. It's likely that the surviving former residents have sought safety in numbers in Mink Mazowieki or perhaps even Warsaw.

In the early afternoon, you arrive at a larger wood, just a couple of kilometers southeast of where Craig remembers the farm being. After another short break, you continue out of the woods towards an east-west road off of which a dirt road branches to the solitary farm. You study the farm complex through your optics. Several sheds and outbuildings surround the main farmhouse. No smoke drifts from the chimney of the sturdy, brick-built two-story residence. There is no movement outside. It is earily quiet.

The fields arround the farm appear fallow. Corn stubble covers some sections of the fields and tall grass in the others but it is dying and a lot of it is matted down from the last snow. There is very little snow on the ground except what remains beneath the trees and in other shaded areas.

There is a small stand of trees about 200m from where the farm road branches away from the main road and about 700m from the farm complex itself.

Single trees border the sunken dirt road to the farm so there is some cover and a bit of concealment on the way there.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:42, Fri 19 Mar 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 208 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Fri 19 Mar 2010
at 23:44
Re: The Farm

  Upon arrival Drew goes on alert.  Before they break into the main area Drew waves over the patrol to rally.

"Folks, I am not liking this.  I say we set up security, then do a box recon of the area outside the permimeter before our man here goes in and makes contact with his freinds.  What say you?"
Sgt Drew
M240
Discussing security issues and making contact

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1668 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 03:28
Re: The Farm
In reply to Steven Drew (msg #70):

When they arrived, Dawid set up the MG section to cover the back trail. Drew's team was on his right, he was on the left, and they were oriented to cover the respective flanks and rear. They could still bring the MGs to bear on the farm if they turned fully towards it but he was more worried about their followers than anyone at the farm, which no one knew they were heading specifically for.

When Drew waved over the patrol to rally, he debated whether to remind him that was the patrol leader's role, then decided against it. They were not a regular military unit and did not have to always obey the rigid rules and protocols. Besides, the new guy might have something worthwhile to say.

As it was, Drew's idea wasn't bad. "Drew, I would think we usually wait until the patrol leader calls for a meeting, but maybe you do it differently? No matter. Yes, I think a recce around the farm while the rest of us mounts a 360 degree defence is prudent. As well, we should do something about the followers. Throw them off somehow.

"There are many abandoned farms around here. Let's continue on and find one. We wait until nightfall, then send back one or two scouts to the objective. Or everyone back-tracks to the farm. Konrad?"

Dieter Brandt
 player, 49 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 04:13
Re: The Farm
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #71):

Dieter takes a knee close to Dawid, keen to discuss plans. "Herr Dawid, I suggest a small group go ahead to scout out the farm, but make it look like a routine check, rather than a specific objective. In the meantime the others take a quick break. If we encounter Herr Craig's farmer friends we can tell them we will return later, after nightfall. But if, as I suspect, there is nobody there we can come back later to do a detailed search for supplies and information after nightfall instead."

If this idea meets with approval, he will continue. "I suggest Herr Craig as he knows the farmer, Herr Jan and myself do the scouting."

If approved Dieter will ditch his pack and the radio with the team, retrieving his hunting bow and quiver of arrows.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 85 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 04:47
Re: The Farm
Craig calls Dawid over and hands him his field glasses, indicating the direction of their shadow:

“Hailstorm, Lightning we have a pursuer. I don't think they are a threat. Out”

As they move off Craig will try to catch a glimpse of who he is signalling too. He will also try to scan for the other people watching as they move along the road.

Once their pursuer moves away to the east Craig is again on the radio.

”Hailstorm, Lightning pursuer has broken contact and is heading to the East. Out”

Once the group stops to observe the farm, Craig helps set up the MG's then moves forward to the Captain. He finds a covered area to observe the farm through his field glasses all the while giving a running commentary of Intel. What's in all the sheds and out buildings, the layout of the main farm house and who should be present.

”Looks deserted, I don't think they would of let the farm go like this. Maybe they thought it safer with the communities closer to Warsaw or even in Minsk Mazowiekie.”

He again raises his field glasses this time to plain an approach to the main house. As the other gather around Craig lowers his glasses and quickly relays the information about the layout of the farm to the group.

”If we are to go in I think we should follow the irrigation ditch. We can form up at that corpse of trees where the majority of the team can cover our approach. Then myself and any other volunteers can go forward.”

“I don't think darkness will help either way as we are probably going to get shot at if we snoop around during the day or at night. I hope they recognise me before they pull the trigger.”


AKS-47U (45/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
RPG-7D Grenade Launcher, PG-7N HEAT Grenade x 4
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
E-108 Thermite Grenade x 2, RKG-3 AT Grenade x2
No.80 WP grenade, L13A2 CS grenade
Fire Support Element
Scanning surrounding area
Jan Cerny
 player, 347 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 09:38
Re: The Farm
Jan studied the farm through his own binoculars and listen to everyone else's comments.

Everyone was pitching in with a version of a plan so Jan joined in.

"Capitaine,"
he said addressing Konrad.  "I suggest that snipers and machinegun crews stay here with you and Apel to cover Tuck, Minh, Craig and I while we conduct a 360 recce of the farm.  Once we've checked the perimeter and returned here we can then work out how best to approach the farm."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1669 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 12:47
Re: The Farm
In reply to Craig Sutherland (msg #73):

In response to Sutherland's report Dawid replied, "my mistake, we do not have pursuers at the moment. Still, I think we can't take our being unseen for granted. We did say we were going to operate at night?"

He looked around, and saw that not only he and Drew but Sutherland was involved. He addressed them both, "gentlemen, I don't mean to curb your valuable input, but I see we have left Mariusz and Coulter in charge of rear and flank security. I will attend to this personally now, and please feel free to join me when you're done here. Excuse me, everyone!"

After he returned to his position, he took over the GPMG from Mariusz. He handed the boy his binoculars again. "Here. let me know if you see anything, yes?"

This message was last edited by the player at 14:09, Sat 20 Mar 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 42 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 13:26
Re: The Farm
"You give half hour. Thor go there."
He pointed almost directly at the farm, but made sure at least one person followed his arm to the tiny collection of bushes located about halfway between where they stood now and their intended destination.
From where he'd indicated, he'd be able to reach out and touch potential enemies with Mjollnir long before they became any sort of real threat, while also maintaining an effective cover of the farm itself.
"Bragi come too."
A hand snaked out from amongst the furs to touch Dieters bow.
"Leave. Bring Aych kay. Better."

His intentions stated, the fur clad madman faded into the countryside, heading off to establish his hide...
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 668 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 14:00
Re: The Farm
"OK, Boss," Mariusz said and scanned the area with the binoculars again.
Jan Cerny
 player, 348 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 21:50
Re: The Farm
Jan shook his head as Thor forced Konrad's hand.  The big Norwegian had shown little respect for the unit commander and the rest of the squad by setting off without Konrad deciding on a plan.  Come to think of it Jan wasn't even sure which plan Thor thought they were following!

That was twice that Thor had acted impetuously and Jan's previous respect for the Norwegian Marines fell even further.

"He's proving to be a liability," Jan commented to those around him while he waited for Konrad's decision on a plan to approach the farm.  "And I think that the madness and language problems may be faked."
Minh Quyen
 player, 480 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 06:16
Re: The Farm
Quyen remains with the main body during the halt. She'll continue to cover her arcs and await the order to move out.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 50 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 06:56
Re: The Farm
Thor Halgeirsen:
A hand snaked out from amongst the furs to touch Dieters bow.
"Leave. Bring Aych kay. Better."

His intentions stated, the fur clad madman faded into the countryside, heading off to establish his hide...


Dieter bristled as the Norwegian reached out to touch his hunting bow. It had been a gift from his father, and he was reluctant to let anyone else use it, especially not this crazy man who he was coming to dislike intensely.

As Thor marched off into his own, crazy world, Dieter turned back to the party leaders.

"Herr Bayer," he said to Konrad in English. "I am happy to do reconnaissance on the farm, or provide support here as needed. However, I refuse to work with that fucking lunatic anymore!"

Clearly very upset, this was the first time the quiet, well-spoken German had sworn for a long time, at least out loud. Looking in Thor's direction, he continued to Konrad, "He is a liability, and I am not going to put my life at risk because he can't follow orders, or even basic military protocols. He has a gun, and his own radio, so let him work as an independent unit. I can work solo, or you can assign someone else to work with me, I don't mind. But if you try to force me to work with that idiot I will pack up my equipment and leave right now."

Dieter's facial expression, normally stoic and impassive, clearly shows he means business, and is prepared to pack up and walk away if he has to.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1156 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 08:41
Re: The Farm
Bayer lowers the optics he was using to observe the farm and says, "All good plans everyone." But then with nod to Sutherland he continues, "But the Lieutenant is doing the knocking so we'll go with what he's mentioned."

Pointing to the few scraggly trees near farm he says, "Main body will hold in amongst those trees. See the road? It's sunk a bit below the ground level. We'll use that* to approach since the fields are flat and bare."

"Sutherland will take Mariusz." Bayer adds. "No more, as I want to make it as easy as possible for them to recognize him... and for it not to look like an invasion. The final approach will be open and exposed enough as it is to risk two."

Holding up a hand to Dieter, Bayer says sternly, "Then I will shoot you in the back for desertion." He then breaks a rare smile and says, "Das gerade Verkohlen."

"Hang back and take up the rear security for now." he concludes with a pat on Dieter's shoulder. "We'll deal with... this later after we're secure."

* Sutherland mentioned an irrigation ditch but I believe he's referring to a road. Regardless, its a depression.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:43, Sun 21 Mar 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 86 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 08:54
Re: The Farm

Craig raises his hand as Dieter raises his concerns about the Norwegian;

”Dieter the present plan on the board is for myself, Jan and you to recce the farm and if the Captain here has no objections it still stands.”

“I agree the sniper is a liability and your concerns are correct, but apart from cutting him lose at the present time we have no other option but to let him do his own thing. If he tops one of my friends who may or may not be in that building I'll drill him myself.”

Konrad Bayer:
Bayer lowers the optics he was using to observe the farm and says, "All good plans everyone." But then with nod to Sutherland he continues, "But the Lieutenant is doing the knocking so we'll go with what he's mentioned."

Pointing to the few scraggly trees near the farm he says, "Main body will hold in amongst those trees. See the road? It's sunk a bit below the ground level. We'll use that* to approach since the fields are flat and bare."

"Sutherland will take Mariusz."


Craig nons at the Captain suggestion.

Taking off his pack and excess equipment Craig un-holsters his pistol and chambers a round he then puts the silencer on the weapon and re-holsters it. He then does a quick inspection of the chamber of the AKU before saying;

"Time to go gentlemen, I would like to know if my friends and savours are mouldering in the front room.”

With that he moves to the jumping off point in the trees.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:28, Sun 21 Mar 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 669 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 11:17
Re: The Farm
Mariusz handed the binoculars back to Dawid and checked that there was a round up the spout of his Tantal. He moved over to Sutherland and said, "I'm ready to follow you. Let's hope everything is OK."

He was worried however that Craig's decision to desert from the Baron's forces had already wreaked bloody execution on the people that had taken him in. In many areas warlords enforced troop loyalty by threats of retribution on the areas they recruited from. Mariusz hoped that the Baron either hadn't worked this nasty little trick out for himself, or that the vengance hadn't yet been served upon these people.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:20, Sun 21 Mar 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 349 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 13:49
Re: The Farm
Seeing Craig attach the silencer to his pistol Jan turned to Mariusz.  "You want to take the SMG with its suppressor?" he asked, indicating the PM-84 attached to the side of his pack.

Irrespective of Mariusz's decision Jan moved to join Dawid so that he could act as Dawid's loader should it be necessary.  He also made a note of where Craig had dropped his pack and other excess equipment so that he could retrieve it for the Marine should they have to bug out quickly.


OOC - Craig - did you leave the RPG-7D behind?
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 670 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 14:20
Re: The Farm
Never one to pass up trying a new weapon, Mariusz smiled and said, "Thanks, that could be very useful."

He switched weapons and got ready to go.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1673 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 15:52
Re: The Farm
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #85):

After receiving his orders from Konrad, Dawid took the binoculars from Mariusz and relieved Sutherland of the RPG-7D and pack with 3 spare rounds.

"No need to bring that with you, Coulter can carry it for now on the bike. There is no apparent need for it."

He addressed the element, which now included Dieter. "Drew, are you going to join us already? Now, when we get there, we're going to provide flank and rear security. The farm will be to our south-southest. So when we arrive we're going to dig in, then we're going to orient north with Dieter in the middle, my MG covering west and north, Drew's covering east and north. Everyone got it?"

This message was last edited by the player at 15:54, Sun 21 Mar 2010.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1703 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 17:52
Re: The Farm

Making good use of the available cover and concealment, the security and overwatch elements move into position without incident. Thor is nowhere to be seen and it's not clear yet whether that is a good or bad thing for the rest of you.

Following the sunken, tree-lined lane towards the farm, Craig and Mariusz approach the farm complex. They pause from time to time, studying the farmhouse and its outbuildings through binoculars and listening for sounds movement. Still, they detect no signs of life in or around the house.

The pair arrives outside the complex and enters through the front gate on its north side, as expected guests would. They walk into the midst of the sheds, garrage, and greenhouses. Looking towards the two-story brick farmhouse on the west end of the complex, they immediately notice that the front door is hanging awkwardly half-way inside the doorway by its lower hinge. It appears someone else has arrived here first.

The rest of you carefully study the farm and its surroundings from your concealed support positions. As the scouts enter the complex, you see nothing amiss. It really appears as though the farm has been abandoned.

It's grown noticibly colder in the last hour or so and the leaden sky looks like it's going to open up at any minute.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:31, Sun 21 Mar 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 672 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 18:57
Re: The Farm
"Do you want me to go in first?" Mariusz whispered to Sutherland, "You knew these people and it might not be pretty in there."

He reamined in a low crouch with the submachinegun pointing at the door until Sutherland decided which way he wanted to play the entry.
Jan Cerny
 player, 353 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 21:35
Re: The Farm
Jan kept himself hunkered down in cover, watching the farm house and its surrounding buildings.  He had laid the Steyr beside himself and was using his binoculars to try to pick out anything inconsistent in the apparently abandoned buildings ahead.

Though he didn't have much of an angle for it he also rather morbidly started looking for areas of recently dug earth, something that could indicate a reasonably fresh grave.

"If this place is abandoned then it might make for a good RV should we get split up," he muttered to anyone nearby.  "It also might be a good place to sleep tonight."
Steven Drew
 player, 211 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Mon 22 Mar 2010
at 06:20
Re: The Farm
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #86):

Drew simply replies with a,

"Fine."  as he goes along with the group to whatever is about to happen.  He knows if it comes down to it, he will lay down fire but if worse comes to worse he will disapear into the trees where he has some chance of evading capture.

Sgt Drew
M240
following the group but more to the rear where he can lay down supressive fire.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 87 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 22 Mar 2010
at 06:28
Re: The Farm

Craig raises a finger to his lips and looks at Mariusz as he slings his AKU and then UN-holsters his Browning FN. He moves forward in a low run until he is against the right side of the partially open door to the farm house. Waiting for Mariusz to take the other side, he crouches low and scans he interior of the room. He then eases the door aside and begins clearing the downstairs rooms.

Once he has finished he moves up the stairs, hugging the wall to stop any creaking stairs and continues making the farmhouse safe.

OOC: Yep RPG launcher is on the pack.

AKS-47U (45/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
E-108 Thermite Grenade x 2, RKG-3 AT Grenade x2
No.80 WP grenade, L13A2 CS grenade
UK/PRC-349 VHF/FM transceiver Radio - ear piece
Fire Support Element
Clearing the farmhouse

This message was last edited by the player at 06:31, Mon 22 Mar 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 51 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Mon 22 Mar 2010
at 08:50
Re: The Farm
Konrad Bayer:
Holding up a hand to Dieter, Bayer says sternly, "Then I will shoot you in the back for desertion." He then breaks a rare smile and says, "Das gerade Verkohlen."

"Hang back and take up the rear security for now." he concludes with a pat on Dieter's shoulder. "We'll deal with... this later after we're secure."


Dieter listened quietly to Konrad's orders, eventually breaking a slight smile at the Hauptmann's quick quip in German. He nodded when instructed to rejoin the team in a support capacity, confident that Konrad would deal with Thor later.

Upon arrival at the farmhouse, Dieter watched Mariusz and Craig head off to recon the buildings. He followed his instructions, and took up the centre ground of the support team, making sure he was not too close to other team members. Looking for a good observation post, he took cover and used his rifle scope to scan the area. He checked each individual window on the buildings, as well as any holes in the roof, etc. Spotting nothing, he quietly radioed Craig.

"Lightning-5, this is Thunder-1. Area looks clear, but keep your eyes open. Will continue to monitor and will report any activity, hostile or friendly. Out."

Swapping to his borrowed image intensifiers for a better view, he continued to monitor the scene as he watched the pair enter the buildings. He also kept his eyes open for Thor, hoping that the lumbering idiot wouldn't do something else stupid.

Dieter Brandt
In cover, observing the farmhouse and surrounding area through image intensifiers
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio
Hunting Bow strapped to pack

This message was last edited by the player at 12:20, Mon 22 Mar 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1676 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 22 Mar 2010
at 11:53
Re: The Farm
In reply to Dieter Brandt (msg #92):

Seeing that Dieter was carefully scanning the house, Dawid made his way over, keeping low.

"My friend, we have enough eyes on the house, including, er, Thor. Help us detect threats from the other directions? Either east or west down the road, or north across the fields."
Dieter Brandt
 player, 54 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Mon 22 Mar 2010
at 12:27
Re: The Farm
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #93):

OOC - have updated earlier post as I had mistakenly thought that Jan was on recon as well, which he isn't.

Dieter nodded in reply to Dawid's suggestion. Once the recon pair had moved into the building he moved position to a new spot facing west, where he had a clear view of the road and the surounding environment. With his rifle in easy reach beside him, he scanned the area with the image intensifiers, checking for anything interesting.

Dieter Brandt
In cover, looking west down the road through image intensifiers
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio
Hunting Bow strapped to pack

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 675 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 22 Mar 2010
at 12:37
Re: The Farm
Mariusz followed Sutherland, backing him up as he cleared the farmhouse.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1705 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 22 Mar 2010
at 23:50
Re: The Farm

Craig and Mariusz move through the two-story farmhouse from bottom to top and back again, carefully clearing each and every room along the way. The house is currently unoccupied and it looks like the former residents won't be back anytime soon. There are signs of a struggle downstairs. The front door- apparently reinforced by a heavy kitchen curio cabinet- has been kicked in, but not before someone peppered it with birdshot at eye level from the inside. There is some blood splatter on the floor in the foyer and drops leading back to the kitchen. In the kitchen, there is much more blood. The kitchen table is smeared with it. It has mostly congealed, suggesting that it is about a couple of days old. Although many of the owners' modest possessions have been strewed carelessly around the house, looting does not appear to have been the main objective of the intruders- useful items like blankets and clothing remain where they were tossed.

Outside the farm complex, you wait patiently in the cold. It starts to drizzle- a fine, almost freezing mist of small raindrops blown at an angle by the strengthening wind blowing in from the north. Darker clouds over the horizon suggest that this is just the beginning of a much stronger storm. The open fields surrounding the farm are clear and you occupy the only cover and concealment in the area. The lines of sight are good and it is unlikely that anyone would be able to sneak up on the farm without being observed by conscientious sentries.

It is mid-afternoon and you have been on the move since before dawn. The abandoned farmhouse offers immediate shelter and it is fairly well suited to all around defense.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:07, Tue 23 Mar 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 46 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Tue 23 Mar 2010
at 01:47
Re: The Farm
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #87):

Thors unmistakable butchering of the english language comes across the radio.
"Thunderer is position. Out."
No sign can be see of the fur clad nutter...
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 795 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 23 Mar 2010
at 02:14
Re: The Farm
Jan Cerny:
Jan kept himself hunkered down in cover, watching the farm house and its surrounding buildings.  He had laid the Steyr beside himself and was using his binoculars to try to pick out anything inconsistent in the apparently abandoned buildings ahead.

Though he didn't have much of an angle for it he also rather morbidly started looking for areas of recently dug earth, something that could indicate a reasonably fresh grave.

"If this place is abandoned then it might make for a good RV should we get split up," he muttered to anyone nearby.  "It also might be a good place to sleep tonight."

"Thinking you're right Jan.  Would be nice to sleep with a roof over our heads tonight.  Looks like it's got some good defensive possibilities," Tucker says to Jan as he lays next to him while the recon of the house goes on.

OOC: Sorry for the delay...
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1677 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 23 Mar 2010
at 05:26
Re: The Farm
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #96):

Although things seemed to be going well, Dawid was aware that the unexpected could happen. For example, their transport breaking down!

He made sure everyone was watching their assigned sectors, and pulled out his own binoculars to assist his own visual checks. In the mean time, he waited for orders or instructions.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 88 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 23 Mar 2010
at 05:42
Re: The Farm
Once the house is cleard as safe, Craig keys his radio. He then shakes Mariusz's hand for a job well done.

“Hailstorm, Lightning-5 objective is clear. Out.”

Craig momentarily stares at the blood on the kitchen table, before leaving the house to clear the surrounding outbuildings. He motions for Mariusz to join him, confident in the young Pole's abilities.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:30, Wed 24 Mar 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 47 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Tue 23 Mar 2010
at 05:54
Re: The Farm
"Thunderer stay. Come in after all in. Over."
Jan Cerny
 player, 355 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 23 Mar 2010
at 14:19
Re: The Farm
Jan stayed in his hunkered down position covering Craig and Mariusz while they moved from the house to search the outbuildings.

"I'm guessing that there's no one home," he muttered to Tuck and anyone else beside him.  What that meant he wasn't certain but he suspected that it was bad news for the family who'd helped Craig.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 676 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 23 Mar 2010
at 16:54
Re: The Farm
Mariusz followed Sutherland to clear the outbuildings trying not to think about what might have happened here. It was just one of the thousands of little tragedies that played out in the war-torn country every day to contemplate the enormity of it all was to court madness.

Instead he did what soldiers always did in times of adversity, he focused on the job at hand and made sure his buddies were safe.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 796 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 00:09
Re: The Farm
Jan Cerny:
Jan stayed in his hunkered down position covering Craig and Mariusz while they moved from the house to search the outbuildings.

"I'm guessing that there's no one home," he muttered to Tuck and anyone else beside him.  What that meant he wasn't certain but he suspected that it was bad news for the family who'd helped Craig.

"I'm thinking the same thing Jan.  We would've seen or heard something if it was inhabitaed by now," Tucker says back to Jan who's liying next to him while Mariusz & Craig are clearing the structures.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 55 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 08:25
Re: The Farm
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Jan Cerny:
Jan stayed in his hunkered down position covering Craig and Mariusz while they moved from the house to search the outbuildings.

"I'm guessing that there's no one home," he muttered to Tuck and anyone else beside him.  What that meant he wasn't certain but he suspected that it was bad news for the family who'd helped Craig.

"I'm thinking the same thing Jan.  We would've seen or heard something if it was inhabitaed by now," Tucker says back to Jan who's liying next to him while Mariusz & Craig are clearing the structures.


Dieter looked over towards Jan and Tuck, and nodded in agreement. As they had suspected, the farmhouse appeared to be empty, and the fate of it's inhabitants was unknown, but probably not pleasant.

He then looked over at Dawid and Konrad, awaiting further orders. He was hoping that they would be instructed to get some rest, and use the farmhouse as a base. It was a solid enough looking building, capable of resisting small arms fire, so they should be able to defend it if attacked. It would certainly be more defensible than camping in the open.

If time allowed later, Dieter intended to go on a brief hunting trip, no more than an hour. He would look for rabbits, game birds, or maybe even a small deer. Hot, fresh food in the belly is always good for a soldier, and it would certainly help Dieter's standing in the group. He would ask Konrad for permission later once they had made camp.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1159 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 08:51
Re: The Farm
Bayer rises up off the cold ground and calls over to the rest of the patrol, "Up. We're heading in."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1679 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 10:43
Re: The Farm
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #106):

Upon hearing the order, Dawid got the remaining members of the support element organised to move out. "We are taking the rear. Coulter and Drew, before me, Dieter, you're last man in the file, check our back trail. If anyone is watching us, they may give themselves away if they have to change position." He slung the PKM GPMG around his shoulder, getting ready to follow the patrol in.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 56 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 10:55
Re: The Farm
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #107):

Dieter nodded to Dawid, and watched as the rest of the party moved into the farmhouse. He waited until all of the party had entered the building, and continued to scan the surrounding area, watching for anything unusual.

Assuming all is well, he will wait a few minutes and then radio in to Dawid. "Lightning 1 this is Thunder 1. All appears to be clear. No sign of Thunder 2, but I'm sure he's probably found a nice tree to sleep in. I'm coming in now. Out." He will then wait about another 30 seconds or so, and move quickly into the farmhouse.

Once in the building he will approach Dawid and Konrad, seeking permission to go hunting for game. If approved he will head off, and will also look to forage for fruits, vegetables and funghi as well.

OOC - if I go hunting I will take minimal kit - will detail in later post if I go.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 48 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 11:43
Re: The Farm
Dieter Brandt:
"Lightning 1 this is Thunder 1. All appears to be clear. No sign of Thunder 2, but I'm sure he's probably found a nice tree to sleep in. I'm coming in now. Out." He will then wait about another 30 seconds or so, and move quickly into the farmhouse.

"Bragi," Thor called over the radio where everyone could hear.
"You should not stand exposed so long. Enemy take twice long as Thor but still put bullet in head of Bragi."
"Out."

Jan Cerny
 player, 357 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 12:19
Re: The Farm
Having made his way into the farmhouse with the bulk of the squad, Jan started to double check the building himself, looking particularly for a cellar.  It was highly likely that Craig would have known if there was one hidden somewhere but there was always the possibility that the family had kept some things unknown to their guest.

Thor Halgeirsen:
"Bragi," Thor called over the radio where everyone could hear.
"You should not stand exposed so long. Enemy take twice long as Thor but still put bullet in head of Bragi."
"Out."


Hearing this comment across the radio Jan could not prevent himself from responding.

"Last speaker, this is Hailstorm Five," he transmitted while shaking his head.  "Firstly who is Bragi and secondly please try to remember to use correct radio procedure.  We have call signs for a reason and you're supposed to be a professional!  Out."

Having finished transmitting he continued to shake his head and muttered to himself.  "Dilettante."

He then sort out Konrad to have a quiet word with him prior to Thor arriving at the house.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:02, Wed 24 Mar 2010.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1708 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 22:47
Re: The Farm

Saturday, October 21st, 2000
1700 hrs.
40F
Thick overcast; light rain
Strong breeze from the N
Approximately 5km north of Minsk Mazowiekie, Poland



The support teams start moving towards the farm complex as Craig and Mariusz begin clearing its various outbuildings*. The scout/search search and clear the tractor and tool sheds, guest house, horse stable, pig pen, and greenhouse. Anything and everything of value, apart from few partially-ripened tomatoes in the greenhouse, appears to have been taken.

A quarter of an hour later, the entire recon team gathers in the farm's central courtyard. Light rain is falling.

*See the updated tac-map for details.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:32, Wed 24 Mar 2010.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 1 post
 American
 CIA direct action group
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 22:55
Re: The Farm

Woken by sound of the light rain falling against the remaining glass panes that still covered parts of the large greenhouse, Jeff watched cautiously as the two men approached the farmhouse. Jeff edged into the shadows beneath a tomato plant-covered table and quietly observed the men as they entered and searched the building, his suppressed pistol drawn but lowered. Fortunately, the two men did not detect his presence and he was not forced to dispatch them (or die trying).

A few minutes later, after hearing the group gathering outside in the courtyard speaking English, Jeff takes a calculated gamble. He grabs his AK and shouts out "USA FRIENDLY!".  Staying in the shadows where he is unseen, he keeps his rifle raised but not aimed at the group, before shouting again, "USA FRIENDLY!  Start talking or I start shooting. You're too quiet to be with the Baron, so who are you?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:32, Wed 24 Mar 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 358 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 23:33
Re: The Farm
At the shout Jan dropped to a crouch and aimed his Steyr at the new arrival.

"Come out of the shadows and show yourself!" he commanded in accented English.  Jan had seen the dried blood in the farmhouse kitchen so his initial concern was that this man might well be involved in whatever had happened here.  It was doubtful though that any people involved would still be hanging around but caution was called for initially.

Maybe this farm wasn't a good place to set up base though.  It seemed to attract a lot of attention!
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 797 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 23:45
Re: The Farm
Jan Cerny:
At the shout Jan dropped to a crouch and aimed his Steyr at the new arrival.

"Come out of the shadows and show yourself!" he commanded in accented English.  Jan had seen the dried blood in the farmhouse kitchen so his initial concern was that this man might well be involved in whatever had happened here.  It was doubtful though that any people involved would still be hanging around but caution was called for initially.

Tucker brought his rifle up to a high ready and listened to what this person who suddenly appeared out of nowhere.  "Looks like we need to work on room and building clearing when we get back.  How the fuck did we miss him unless the wall shit him out!"
Steven Drew
 player, 212 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 04:16
Re: The Farm
Drew is tired at the grabassery.  He hefts his M240 and turns in the direction shouting,

"We're in the open, so ya wanna talk step up. Remember, you start shooting and we start....its too late for fuckin games so nut up or shut up."
  Drew is cold, tired, hungry and now getting wet, so he has seen better moods and is not about take any shit from Eurotrash or deserters.

Sgt Drew
M240
Pissed off and in a general hostile mood

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 2 posts
 Unknown
 Unknown
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 05:08
Re: The Farm
There is no discernible movement from the window.  However, out from the shadows of the doorway emerges a figure, who stands just outside the doorway.  It is clearly a Russian Soldier, dressed completely in the Flora pattern found on better equipped troops.  His patrol cap is pulled low over his eyes, and a coyote brown bandanna extends above his nose, so that his eyes are barely visible.  The man has a large black AK rifle, with a foregrip and an odd looking black scope slung across his Soviet style body armor and combat webbing.  There is some form of pistol holster on his hip, but it is unclear the type concealed.

A moment passes in the rain before the Russian says, "Who is your leader?".  The answer comes in crystal clear American English, with no discernible accent.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:13, Thu 25 Mar 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 213 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 05:41
Re: The Farm
In reply to Jeff D. Warren (msg #116):

"Well, I guess Ivan isn't yer name.  And if you were a badguy you'd of opened up on us already.  So, ya wanna invite us in outa the rain like a good neighbor before it really starts ta piss all over us."


  As Drew faces the man his M240 sling at his waiste, muzzle in the general direction of the stranger.

Sgt Drew
 M240
Talking

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 3 posts
 Unknown
 Unknown
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 06:15
Re: The Farm
"Да, но как же мне знать, если вы хорошо это или плохо?"  His Russian flows just as easily as his English, and could be traced to the area around St. Petersburg.

Back in English, he responds to the Marine with a shrug of his shoulders.  "Feel free to use the farmhouse.  Since you're likely the one's responsible for the mess inside, I won't stop you from hiding the evidence."

Observing the group, he takes note of the German Captain's insignia, and asks "Ist der Hauptmann verantwortlich?"  However it is obvious that his German is not nearly as good as his Russian or English.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:16, Thu 25 Mar 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1681 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 06:25
Re: The Farm
In reply to Steven Drew (msg #117):

After rejoining with Mariusz, Dawid made sure the MG group was supporting the clearing of the sad abandoned farm.

When the new person showed up, he resisted joining in the interaction as Drew seemed to have it under control. Instead, he made sure he, Mariusz and Dieter (for now) were covering the opposite direction. Technically he wasn't Dieter's team leader but there seemed to be some... issues with Thor, and they would just make the most of the situation until things could be clarified.

"Mariusz, Dieter, let's make sure we have our flanks and rear covered while others deal with this maniac. Or whoever. Even if he's not hostile, there are still plenty of folks around here who are!"

From what he could see the man looked like a Soviet but spoke like an American. He heard some Spetzsnaz could pass for yankees in order to infiltrate NATO lines. Somehow he doubted this, more likely this was yet another NATO straggler who had donned a Russian uniform and kit in order to blend in better.

If that were the case, someone should have told this fellow the Russian border was quite a long distance away, and the Poles weren't feeling too friendly towards their former patrons/masters!
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1160 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 08:40
Re: The Farm
"Responsible enough not to challenge a large group of unknown, armed men in the dark, while hiding in a greenhouse... unless I needed something." Bayer replies in English.

His rifle was still slung, and his hands gripped around the shoulder straps of his rucksack to take off some of the weight. There was enough firepower around him as it was that he decided not to arm himself.

Nodding towards the greenhouse, Bayer says dryly to the man, "I'm coming in. And my men here will go where they want here as they are not going to be the first to cause any trouble. It's raining anyways."

"You wouldn't have started this if you didn't want to talk. I'm coming in."

"That's how it is."


Bayer will then drop his ruck and step towards the greenhouse with his hands down by his sides.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 4 posts
 Unknown
 Unknown
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 15:07
Re: The Farm
"Gentlemen, I mean you no disrespect.  It is just in these times, all newcomers must be treated with skepticism.  Now if I could just have a quick word with the Captain.  As a token of faith, I will follow you to where you wish to talk, but it will be in private."

He will then follow Bayer to the location of his choice to talk, even if it's right where they are standing.  Warren will speak in a low tone, so that only Bayer hears it:

This message was last edited by the player at 15:14, Thu 25 Mar 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 57 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 18:15
Re: The Farm
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Mariusz, Dieter, let's make sure we have our flanks and rear covered while others deal with this maniac. Or whoever. Even if he's not hostile, there are still plenty of folks around here who are!"


Seeing the newcomer, Dieter was surprised that Sutherland hadn't spotted him when checking out the buildings, although how any of us missed a man hiding in a building made of glass is a bit of a concern. However, he decided against saying anything at this time.

Hearing Dawid's instruction, and considering the worsening weather, he guessed hunting was off the agenda today. Maybe another time. Looking at Mariusz, he said, "Mariusz, let's find a good spot out of the rain where we can set up an observation post. Follow me."

[Assuming Mariusz is happy to follow] With that he headed off towards the main farmhouse building, looking for some upstairs rooms with windows that provide a good arc of fire and a good view of the surrounding area. Once a suitable location had been found he positioned Mariusz to cover the South and East, whle taking a position to cover the North and West. He knew that they couldn't cover all eventualities, but should be able to identify any troop movements or vehicles in the area. If Mariusz has no binoculars etc. he will lend him the image intensifiers, and will keep watch himself with his rifle scope.



Once in position, he radioed back to Dawid, "Lightning 1 this is Thunder 1. We have set up OPs in the farmhouse and have a good view of the surrounding area. Will report any movements. Out."

With that he settled in to sentry duty.

Dieter Brandt
In farmhouse on highest available floor, observing surrounding area to North & West
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio
Hunting Bow strapped to pack

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 677 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 18:39
Re: The Farm
"OK," Mariusz said, "let's go."

He followed the man to the vantage point he selected and then took the proffered image intensifiers from him. He was impressed again at the quality of Western optics, it was almost unfair.

He settled down as far out of the wind as he could and started to observe the land around him.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 50 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Fri 26 Mar 2010
at 02:38
Re: The Farm
Jan Cerny:
"Last speaker, this is Hailstorm Five,"
"Firstly who is Bragi and secondly please try to remember to use correct radio procedure.  We have call signs for a reason and you're supposed to be a professional!  Out."

"Jean, is Thunderer," the disembodied and slightly bewildered voice drifted across the airways.
"Bragi Haptabeiðirsen, brother of Thor, husband of Iðunn. He carry bow. Who else would be it?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1682 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 26 Mar 2010
at 03:20
Re: The Farm
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #123):

Dawid looked over at Dieter, then Mariusz. He nodded, giving his blessing.

"Sure, you may go with Dieter. Leave the ammunition here."
He added some instructions, so they would understand what was expected of them.

"Leave the ammunition. Dieter, you two cover the road, east and west, and to the north. I'll cover south. Don't get distracted, cover your sectors. Not that you won't, of course."

"Also, in addition to taking my assistant gunner, you may consider talking to Thor, getting taht problem dealt with. He's going to be with us for a while, I think, and someone has to bring him under control, yes?"


Sighing, he shrugged a little deeper into his coat, to fend off the cold drizzle.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:55, Fri 26 Mar 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 89 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 26 Mar 2010
at 06:43
Re: The Farm

Craig was not surprised he had missed the stranger in the green house, his mind was not on the job. He stood with his AKU at the ready across his chest as the Captain and the new guy talked.
Jan Cerny
 player, 360 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 26 Mar 2010
at 09:21
Re: The Farm
Thor Halgeirsen:
"Jean, is Thunderer," the disembodied and slightly bewildered voice drifted across the airways.
"Bragi Haptabeiðirsen, brother of Thor, husband of Iðunn. He carry bow. Who else would be it?"


Jan ignored the radio transmission from Thor and stayed in his kneeling posting, keeping his rifle aimed at the new arrival.  Konrad seemed to be calm about the situation and happy talking to the unnamed man but Jan valued Konrad as his leader so he kept his rifle aimed until given the ok by the Capitaine.

He wasn't taking any chances.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 59 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Fri 26 Mar 2010
at 11:54
Re: The Farm
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Also, in addition to taking my assistant gunner, you may consider talking to Thor, getting taht problem dealt with. He's going to be with us for a while, I think, and someone has to bring him under control, yes?"</Blue>


Dieter looks distainfully at Dawid before taking up his cover position, pointedly ignoring the request to reign in Thor. If someone else wanted to try and control him they were welcome to try, but Dieter planned to stay as far away from him as was humanly possible.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 51 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Fri 26 Mar 2010
at 13:17
Re: The Farm
Thor seemingly appeared out of nowhere, materialising from the shadows, a brace of freshly killed rabbits in hand and Mjollnir in the other. His furs were more covered than usual in mud and local foliage, a sure sign he'd crawled through some of the worst the local terrain had to offer.

He squinted for a moment at the new face, placing his own just inches away as he examined every detail. Then, slowly and carefully he took a step backward before declaring with great seriousness, "He is Huldrekall."
"No be to trusted. Safe for now, no women."

"Come,"
he continued, this time speaking to the new man instead of about him.
"Shelter. Food."
The two rabbits were waved towards the guest house.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1685 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 26 Mar 2010
at 14:40
Re: The Farm
In reply to Dieter Brandt (msg #128):

Meeting Dieter's eyes, Dawid returned the disdainful look with a snort of derision. He decided against a pithy remark or other parting shot.

Instead, when Thor returned, he called him over. "Thor, come here, please. We need to talk."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1161 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 26 Mar 2010
at 15:02
Re: The Farm
Inside the greenhouse Bayer listens and to Warren. After a few moments he exits and recovers his rucksack. "We're staying here tonight." he announces, with a nod to Sutherland.

After learning that Dieter and Dawid already begun on hide security, he acknowledges, "Good. Work out a sentry rotation roster for the night as well as a challenge and reply. I'll confirm the positions later."

Bayer then adds, "This is Mr. Warren. An American, who is here for partly the same reason we are. He'll stay with us for the night."

He then motions for the Warren to follow him into the main house. Over his shoulder he adds to the team, "Q and A period to start soon. I'll give a briefing once we settle in and security is up."
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 52 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 04:09
Re: The Farm
Handing the two recently deceased rabbits to whoever was closer, Thor moved to join Dawid.
"Yes my kamerat?
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 7 posts
 American
 Unknown
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 05:47
Re: The Farm


As the two men exit the greenhouse, Warren suddenly finds himself accosted by a large bear.  As it rapidly approaches carrying a pair of bloody rabbits and an M82 in one hand, Warren is unsure whether to throw up from the stench, or draw his pistol out of self defense.  As they come face to face, Warren keeps his hand lightly resting on the grip of his pistol, and stifles a gag.  He is slightly relieved as he backs off, and is slightly amused by the man's comment.  He is surely dangerous, but his stealth skills, if not eccentric, could give Warren a run for his money.

As the bear is pulled aside by one of the Captain's men, Warren follows Bayer into the farmhouse.  Those inside catch the tail end of his conversation with the Captain. ...reaches friendly lines in the northwest, and you are with us, my superiors will have much they can offer you.  Money, hot food and showers, even a ride home if you're lucky enough."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1686 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 14:08
Re: The Farm
In reply to Thor Halgeirsen (msg #132):

Dawid nodded his thanks.

"I will keep this simple."

"My friend, because of the way you talk, and the way you have acted when meeting the man at the village of Minsk Mazowiekie, your talk on the radio, they way you treat Bragi, I mean, Dieter..."


He paused, looking sincere and concerned.

"Look... people think you are either crazy or a childish fool. Either settle down and follow Dieter's orders, or you will be asked to leave, perhaps to stay here where it's safe until we return."

"I am sorry if this was never explained to you or made clear, I take that responsibility. But you must choose if our paths separate here or not, my friend. I don't want to see you go and I think you are a brave warrior. But you are not the only warrior here and you cannot do what you feel like."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:41, Sat 27 Mar 2010.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1712 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 16:46
The Horsemen

Saturday, October 21st, 2000
1745 hrs.
39F
Thick overcast; light rain
Strong breeze from the N
Approximately 5km north of Minsk Mazowiekie, Poland



Dieter and Mariusz have just set up watch in an upstairs room of the main farmhouse when they spot what appears to be a large group of horsemen approaching the farm from across the fields to the north-northwest. The steady light rain slightly reduces the clarity of the picture they see through their optics but it appears that 30 mounted men are so are on their way towards the farm. The main body of horsemen rides down the center with small groups of outriders about 100m out on either flank. The entire group is approaching at a steady trot and are currently about 450m out.

The rest of you are either in the courtyard or on your way to the farmhouse. It's grown darker in the last hour. Sunset is less than an hour away.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:51, Sat 27 Mar 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 215 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 19:40
Re: The Horsemen

  When the alert of the unknown horsemen is given Drew turns to look through the rain to study the threat.

  "We can't stay here tonight."  He adds.

  "We'd better disapear into the woods unless we want a bloody shootout.  They probably know about this place and plan on stayin here tanight.  I say we let em have it.  We can watch em and find out who they are.  Maybe hit em in the morning as they sadle up if we have to.  What ya all say?"

  Drew stands, hands on his weapon waiting for what the others in his unit want to do.

Sgt Drew
M240
Waiting to hear what everyone else wants to do.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 678 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 20:09
Re: The Horsemen
Mariusz said to Sutherland, "Keep an eye on them, I'll alert the others."

He slid down from the OP and rushed to Bayer, "Kaptain, horsemen to the Northnorthwest, there are approximately thirty of them, a main group and two flanking groups. They were about half a kilometer away when we spotted them."

He listened to Drew's assessment and said, "That's a wise choice although I don't know if the terrain will allow us to withdraw undetected, the only cover in a seven hundred meter radius is the sunken lane an that patch of trees. We could get caught in the open. If it's feasible however, I'd agree with Drew's suggestion."
Jan Cerny
 player, 361 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 20:27
Re: The Horsemen
Jan turned to Mariusz's and listened in to his report to Konrad.  A stand up battle with 30 horsemen wasn’t what they needed at this precise moment and 30 horsemen sounded like a military patrol rather than something more innocent!

"I agree with withdrawing.  We need to avoid contact wherever possible."  As he spoke he took the opportunity to return Mariusz’s Tantal to him and retrieved his PM-84, quickly removing the silencer and attaching the SMG to the side of his ALICE pack again while stowing the silencer in one of the pockets of the pack.

“We should head South East as quickly as possible and hope to be in cover before they have any lookouts able to see that side of the farm.”
Craig Sutherland
 player, 90 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 20:31
Re: The Horsemen


Climbing over the threshold into the farm house Craig get a sense something evil happen here. If he was able to he would find out what.

As the sentries call out the warning of the approaching men Craig grabs his pack and sprints to the second level, he takes a position at one of the windows facing the threat. Seeing members of the team still standing in the court yard he yells

”GET INSIDE AND AWAIT FURTHER ORDERS.”

Then on the radio to warn everyone.

"Hailstorm, Lightning, Thunder - Lightning 5. 30 riders approaching from the Northwest, believe they are hostile. Take defensive positions, stow exposed gear they may not have spotted us, let them in close, out."

It was to late to leave they would be ridden down in the snow.

He moves any large piece's of furniture into the centre of the room using any mattresses for side protection. Grabbing a chair Craig puts his AKS onto the table as he takes three FRAG grenades off his vest to have them close at hand.

AKS-47U (45/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
RPG-7D Grenade Launcher, PG-7N HEAT Grenade x 4
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
E-108 Thermite Grenade x 2, RKG-3 AT Grenade x2
No.80 WP grenade, L13A2 CS grenade
UK/PRC-349 VHF/FM transceiver Radio - ear piece
ON1x20/IR "Nighthawk" NVGs
Fire Support Element
Preparing position

This message was last edited by the player at 03:07, Sun 28 Mar 2010.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 8 posts
 American
 Unknown
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 22:33
Re: The Horsemen
Jeff stands calmly off to the side as the others scramble around him. He says to no one in particular, "Thirty? We got more of them than I thought. There used to be about a company of them, but my men and I  killed most of them when they tried to assault us at night. Would have held if it wasn't for that damn mortar.  After we broke contact, I spent the past two days E&E'ing them, although I picked a few more off when they got too close." he gives his AK a quick once over.  "They're with the baron, no doubt. They came for the prisoner we took.  I lost several good men to them. I say we stay and fight. Kill them all, and send the Baron a message.  Spread fear in his ranks, until the 10th is here."

He waits until an order is given. If they leave, he will shoulder his pack and radio, and move out towards the rear of the column. If they stay, he will take up a position back from a window, and take aim at a group of soldiers.


Jeff Warren
Following 'orders'
AK-103 w/POSP4x24 [30/30]
SIG P220 [holstered]
3 RGO Frag Grenades
3 SOV HC smoke grenades
Assorted personal gear

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1687 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 00:46
Re: The Horsemen
Dawid was dug in covering the south away from the road, and decided to hold his position as he wasn't visible from that direction.


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM GPMG
South side of the farm, dug in.
Covering the southern approaches

Steven Drew
 player, 216 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 02:52
Re: The Horsemen

  Drew shakes his head as he shoulders his pack and looks for a good defensive position that allows him a good field of fire with his M240.

  He mutters,

"They're tryin ta get me killed.  Thats it! That's gotta be it.  They wanna make sure I get killed!"

Sgt Drew
M240
Looking for a good position

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 53 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 04:51
Re: The Horsemen
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #134):

Thor placed his free arm around Dawid's shoulders.
"Not childish, maybe little crazy," he shrugged.
"Midgard not as Thor remember," he looked sad. "Even Mjöllnir not same, not proper hammer."
He brightened.
"Still good. Still kill giganten."

The alert caught him by surprise. He'd not seen any sign of approaching anything before catching the rabbits and coming in, but the weather wasn't exactly great for long range observation.
Releasing Dawid's shoulders, he followed his Polish kamerat to cover, picking a slightly different area to cover with Mjöllnir.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 62 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 08:11
Re: The Horsemen
After Mariusz had left to inform Dawid of the situation, Dieter radioed the team. "All units, too late to retreat from this location. Running away in the snow would be suicide against horsemen. Suggest we stay put and fight if they identify us. Out."

Dieter held his position, keeping an eye on the group of riders. He made an effort to identify likely leaders and NCOs of the band, making a mental note of faces, uniforms, equipments and horse markings. He also looked for anyone with a radio. If given the order to fire he would take these out first.

He whispered into the radio. "Hailstorm 1, Lightning 1, this is Thunder 1. Targets identified. Can take out officers and NCOs quickly if needed. Awaiting orders. Over."

As Thor appeared in the room, Dieter quickly indicated the best firing position for him, and gestured for him to stay in cover and not fire, yet. He then described the senior figures to him, hoping he would understand what he meant. Thor may be crazy, but this was an opportunity for him to prove his mettle. How good was he really?

If given the order to fire Dieter would take out officers, NCOs and radiomen first. However, if anyone was trying to make their escape he would take them as well. If necessary he would aim for the horse to bring it down, and then take the rider after the animal had fallen.

Back on the radio, he whispered, "All units, if possible please spare the horses, they could be valuable, but take them out if necessary."

Dieter Brandt
In farmhouse, observing riders, identifying main targets
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio
Hunting Bow strapped to pack

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1162 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 10:34
Re: The Horsemen
Slipping his helmet back over his head when he's informed of the approaching men, Bayer says, "It's too far with not enough time. We will hold our position. Listen here."

Nodding to the door, he says, "Dieter, Thor... get outside. Position yourself somewhere else. Stay in radio contact."

"Dawid, Mariusz... place gun one to the northwest corner of the farm. Jan, Quyen... find a spot on the same side of the farm with them."

"Drew, Coulter... gun two in the main house here, upper floor."

"Lieutenant Sutherland, Tuck, and Apel will hold the ground floor."

"Remember to stay away from the windows when firing. Preferably back against the far wall. If there is a need to fire, I'll initiate it. Keep out of sight until then. Listen to the radio for further orders."


Bayer then turns to Warren and asks quietly, "Can you identify these men as the Baron's?"

Before the boy leaves, Bayer then gives Mariusz a single, slow confirming nod.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:46, Sun 28 Mar 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 679 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 11:14
Re: The Horsemen
Mariusz dashed over to Dawid, he'd thought it was too long a shot to bug out, no doubt some people would be bemoaning the complete and abject failure they seemed to have experienced when it came to being unobtrusive. Still, the young partisan thought to himself, at least we know where they are.

He picked up the spare belts once more and looked at the older Pole, "Where too, Boss?"
Minh Quyen
 player, 481 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 13:10
Re: The Horsemen
"I'm ready." Quyen says to Jan, unslinging her rifle off of her shoulder. Quyen will then follow out behind him towards a suitable firing position. "Go around back she says. So they don't see any movement here."
Jan Cerny
 player, 362 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 13:12
Re: The Horsemen
Jan nodded in acknowledgement of Konrad's orders and paired up with Minh before setting off to find a suitable firing point near Dawid and Mariusz on the North Western corner of the farm.

As he moved he loaded an HE round into his M203 and, once he'd found a suitable firing position deep in cover, he aimed his grenade launcher at the enemy horsemen.  He looked for the largest grouping possible, aiming to cause the maximum damage possible with the HE round.

Once he and Minh were in position he sent a brief radio message.  "Hailstorm's five and three in position.  Holding fire until ordered to engage."

This was exactly the sort of situation where Thor worried him.  As he aimed his M203 Jan worried that Thor would kick this firefight off before being told to do so by Konrad!


Jan
Finding cover in the NW corner of the farm, loading a HE round and then aiming at the largest group of horsemen.
F88 Steyr AUG (30/30 rounds - 7 mags total)
Underslung M203 (1/1 HE - 10x HE, 4x HEDP & 2x ILLUM total)
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15 rounds - 4 mags total)

This message was last edited by the player at 13:14, Sun 28 Mar 2010.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1163 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 13:22
Re: The Horsemen
Jan Cerny:
Once he and Minh were in position he sent a brief radio message.  "Hailstorm's five and three in position.  Holding fire until ordered to engage."


"Roger. Stand by. Out." Bayer replies, watching the approaching party in the shadows from the upstairs window. Maybe they'd change direction before it was too late, he wondered.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:22, Sun 28 Mar 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1688 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 14:08
Re: The Horsemen
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #146):

Dawid smiled at Thor, glad he seemed to be getting through to the warrior. He kind of liked him, as strange as he was, but he could see how the man's chaotic demeanor was grating on some people.

As Mariusz came over, he was already in motion. "We sure haven't seemed to have caught many breaks this time, my friend," he agreed with Mariiusz. "Still, let's get into cover on the NW corner. Let's go!" Leaving his pack in the rear of the farmhouse, he grabbed the PKM and ammo cans, passing the ammo to Mariusz. He easily slung the GPMG over his shoulder to rest against his hip, running low to maintain concealment behind the stone wall that fronted the farm.

It would be too bad if they killed the horses. He liked them and was a good rider, they had kept horses among the livestock on the farm. Still, this was war, and they had to survive first and foremost.

They took cover behind a stone wall, aiming through a gap and concealed by a tuft of brown grass.

"Hailstorm One this is Lightning One. In position. Out." He knew Konrad trusted him enough to not open fire without either orders or being in dire danger.

He made sure his helmet was securely on, as well as his vest. Lastly, he made sure a round was chambered in the GPMG.

Dawid Piotrowski
PKM GPMG (100/100, 1 spare belt)
Taking cover, NW corner of farm
Aiming and covering horsemen, waiting to fire.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 680 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 14:46
Re: The Horsemen
Mariusz arranged the two belts he had so that they were close to Dawid should he need tham and then he checked the flank, looking for good firing positions should he need them.

He lay down beside Dawid and prepared to assist the feed of the machinegun. He resisted the temptation to clip all of the belts together as that would make it hard for Dawid to move quickly. He kissed the holy symbols around his neck and smooted out the belt.

He looked at the horses and imagined the carnage the machinegun would wreak on the poor animals. Still, it couldn't be helped and a machinegun was hardly a precision weapon. The wholesale death it could unleash however made it vital in this sort of battle. Grimly, Mariusz began to run through various recipies that he could adapt to horsemeat...
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1713 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 15:04
Re: The Horsemen

As you move through the rain to a suitable defensive position, the horsemen continue to ride directly towards the farm. By the time that all of you have settled in, the horsemen are no more than 200m from the northern side of the low stone wall that runs in a circuit around the farm complex. At this distance, you can make out more details of their kit. Most of them wear Soviet-pattern camouflage and are armed with Soviet-made weapons. There's not a whole lot of difference between the way Warren and these riders are kitted out.

You realize, however, that if Warren has lured you into a trap, he has placed himself squarely in its jaws as well. It also occurs to you that these horsemen may be coming to the farm for the same reason that you did- to find a dry place to spend a cold, wet night.

Whatever the case may be, the horseman will be riding in through the main gate in a matter of seconds. They slow down a bit as they move closer to the farm. A few of them unsling their AKs and hold them at the low ready. The riders on the wings pull to a complete stop. The nearest horsemen are about 150m from the farm. The few riding trail are around 250m away.

Next Moves?
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 9 posts
 American
 Unknown
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 19:19
Re: The Horsemen
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer then turns to Warren and asks quietly, "Can you identify these men as the Baron's?"

Warren gives a half-shrug, "They're the Baron's or hostile Soviet.  They're not friendly.  The 10th doesn't have that many horses, and the enemies we encountered the other day were all horsemen, and alot were dressed in a similar manner."  If Bayer has no more questions, "What do you want me to do?
Steven Drew
 player, 217 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 20:15
Re: The Horsemen
Drew bounds upstairs expecting Coultier to follow.

  Drew stands in the dark hall as he looks and then bursts into the room that gives him the best field of fire.  He pulls whatever furniture is around to give him a stable firing position.  He will also clear the path behind him so he can easily back out the door into the hall if need be.

  Drew will also survey the other rooms so he can move to them if he needs to relocate his weapon or shift fire.  Drew will stay closer to the room entrance to keep well clear of the window.  He knows when he lets loose with his first burst the room will light up light a spotlight, so he will do his best to stay back from the window and low so as not to give away a silhuette.

  As the riders aproach Drew will aim in on them.  Aimming for the largest concentration in order to make his fire the most effective.  He will track the group shifting his weapon and aim to follow his target.

Sgt Drew
M240
Tracking the band of horsemen

Jan Cerny
 player, 365 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 21:10
Re: The Horsemen
Jan kept hunkered down in his firing position and continued to aim his grenade launcher at the largest grouping of horsemen close to him.  He tracked them as they moved, waiting for the order to fire, should Konrad decide to engage.

"Pick a target," Jan muttered quietly to Minh.  "Anyone who looks to be in charge or armed with a heavy weapon."

Jan hoped that Konrad would let the enemy get as close as possible before unleashing their ambush.  They were outnumbered nearly 3 to 1 so needed to inflict maximum casualties with their initial onslaught!


Jan
Continuing to aim his M203 at the largest group of horsemen that are closest to his position, i.e. the largest group that are at an acceptable range for an M203 (ideally within 100m)
F88 Steyr AUG (30/30 rounds - 7 mags total)
Underslung M203 (1/1 HE - 10x HE, 4x HEDP & 2x ILLUM total)
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15 rounds - 4 mags total)

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 799 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 01:09
Re: The Horsemen
Konrad Bayer:
Slipping his helmet back over his head when he's informed of the approaching men, Bayer says, "It's too far with not enough time. We will hold our position. Listen here."

"Lieutenant Sutherland, Tuck, and Apel will hold the ground floor."

"Remember to stay away from the windows when firing. Preferably back against the far wall. If there is a need to fire, I'll initiate it. Keep out of sight until then. Listen to the radio for further orders."</Blue>

Tucker quickly heads inside to the interior of the house and stops when he hears Konrad give out assignments on who will be where for this engagement.  He moves off and makes sure that he has an HE loaded into his M-203 grenade launcher before he sets up for some cover/concealment until Konrad intiates the ambush.  When he's ready he calls in, "Lightnening One, in position Boss."

When Konrad opens fire, Tucker will pop out of one of the windows, utilize his grenade launchers sights, and then fire the 40 mm HE grenade at a concentration of the horseman.  He will then duck back to reload with another HE and then look to engage with his M-16A2 on single-shot.

Tucker
M-16A2 [30/30] / M-203 [HE]
Finding a facing in the house to hide and take shots when the ambush is sprung

This message was last edited by the player at 15:08, Mon 29 Mar 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 91 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 06:44
Re: The Horsemen

In between moving furniture Craig stops to listen to the assignment given out by the Captain. He then resumes making a barricade of the heavy curio cabinet, the table and any other furniture in the rear of the foyer. Turning to Apel;

"Just like last time Apel, double taps at the riders. Engage and then the next. Good man."

Craig grabs his shoulder as he rises to move into position.

He takes a place behind his improvised barricade to the left of the door and aims at the riders. Once the ambush is sprung he will fire three bursts of ten rounds at the horsemen moving left to right.

AKS-47U (45/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
Fire Support Element
Firing at horsemen

This message was last edited by the player at 05:38, Tue 30 Mar 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 64 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 07:27
Re: The Horsemen
Konrad Bayer:
Nodding to the door, he says, "Dieter, Thor... get outside. Position yourself somewhere else. Stay in radio contact."


Nodding at the Hauptmann's instruction, Dieter moved toward the exit of the building.

<Blue>"Thor, follow me," he instructed simply, hoping the Norwegian would do as instructed. He quickly dropped his pack with Konrad, and retrieved the image intensifiers from Mariusz.

At the exit he headed east, towards the trees on the eastern flank of the farm buildings. From here he sought out a good spot where he had cover and a good field of fire into the courtyard area, as well as out to the fields where the riders were.

As Thor had been unable to follow him, he radioed, "Thunder 2, remember, do not fire until given the order. If you wish to be friends with our team you must learn to follow orders. If in doubt, do as instructed by Dawid." He hoped that this would convey the seriousness of the situation. If Thor went crazy again then Dieter, and a lot of the others, may die.

Back on the radio, he simply stated, "Thunder 1 in position." With that, he prepared to unleash hell.

Dieter Brandt
In cover on eastern flank, observing riders, ready to fire.
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke

x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio

This message was last edited by the player at 15:23, Mon 29 Mar 2010.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1164 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 09:19
Re: The Horsemen
Hearing Dieter's report, Bayer was satisfied everyone was ready. As he watched the enemy approach to 100 meters, he decided that was close enough for effective fire from all of the weapons they had, yet not close enough that the survivors could rush their positions and gain some cover.

Getting onto the radio one last time before he'd fire, Bayer alerted everyone, "All call signs, this is Sunray. Be alert to any enemy who may attempt to flank us and gain entry in the rear once the shooting's begun. Pass this on if observed and listen for orders to adjust. Stand by..."

From the back of the room, then aims his G36/HK69 through the window towards the very center of the enemy main body. After double checking the range on the sights, he fires. Without waiting to observe the impact, he'll drop down to one knee as quickly as possible.

Bayer
Farmhouse (upstairs)
G36/HK69 (HE)
Firing (aimed shot) at very center of main body

Jan Cerny
 player, 368 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 10:23
Re: The Horsemen
Jan was feeling the buzz of adreneline running through his veins as he watched the enemy horsemen close towards the farm.  They appeared to be unaware of the improvised ambush they were riding into and that was going to prove to be fatal to many of the enemy soldiers.

Hearing Konrad's order and then the sound of a grenade launcher firing Jan fired his M203 a fraction of a second later at the group of horsemen he'd been aiming at.  He then flicked the safety on his rifle to single shot and prepared to fire at other targets.

"Watch for anyone flanking," he relayed to Minh.


Jan
Firing an HE round from his underslung M203 at the group he's been aiming at and then switching to the Steyr intending to fire single shots at target of opportunity (probably next round)
F88 Steyr AUG (30/30 rounds - 7 mags total)
Underslung M203 (1/1 HE - 10x HE, 4x HEDP & 2x ILLUM total)
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15 rounds - 4 mags total)

Dieter Brandt
 player, 66 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 10:41
Re: The Horsemen
Hearing Konrad's order, Dieter opened up with his PSG-1. His first target will be anyone identified as an officer or NCO, he will then target anyone with a radio. He will also watch for anyone trying to escape, and will target them as a priority. He will aim for head or chest. Once target is wounded, he will move on to another, uninjured target.


OOC - I have updated this post and my previous one to reflect discussions OOC with Dawid & Thor. Hope it all makes sense.

Dieter Brandt
In cover on eastern flank, sniping senior enemy figures.
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio

This message was last edited by the player at 15:25, Mon 29 Mar 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1692 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 11:49
Re: The Horsemen
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #159):

Dawid relayed Konrad and Dieter's instructions verbally to Thor. "Officers first. Wait for the signal." When he instructed Thor to follow Dieter's orders he expected the big guy to actually follow Dieter, but he realised he never specified that and Thor had more or less followed him. Thor was so quiet he didn't even realise he was near until it was too late to change position.

"When I say "reload", you have the next can ready and the end of the belt in your hand. I will detach the empty can, you attach the new one and feed the belt in, I will charge the weapon and resume firing. For now, open fire when I do. Take aimed single shots at the middle of the column. Good luck and may the Black Madonna protect you."

When the order to "stand by" came across the radio Dawid drew a breath and snugged the PKM's skeletal stock into his shoulder. He sighted in on he rear of the column, believing that most of their firepower would be brought to bear to the front. "Get ready."

There was a "thump" from inside the house, and he was pressing the trigger as the "BANG" of the detonating grenade reached him. he held the trigger down, raking the end of the column starting from the left and swinging the barrel right. "Fire!" This wasn't short controlled bursts, this was spraying as much death as possible. Normally, this kind of sweeping "grazing fire" was directed between the knees and neck of the target, but these men were mounted and so he adjusted his aim a little higher. Still, a lot or even most of the horses would be hit, but there was nothing he could do about it.


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM GPMG (100/100)
in cover, NW corner of farmhouse complex
Grazing fire from left to right, starting at the end of the column. Full autofire, 5x5-round bursts per turn as long as there is ammunition.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:47, Mon 29 Mar 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 681 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 16:03
Re: The Horsemen
Mariusz nodded at Dawid's instructions and then shouldered his Tantal. He aimed at the main group of riders and selected a dark figure to the far right. As soon as the grenade exploded he fired at his target.

Mariusz
Tantal 30/30
Firing at a rider (aimed shot if time allowed and then two quick or three quick otherwise)

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 10 posts
 American
 Unknown
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 16:40
Re: The Horsemen
Satisfied that Bayer had no more questions at this time, Warren took his own firing position.  He had fought these men before, and unlike his last engagement, they did not have the advantage of knowing he was there.

Staying slightly back from a window and in the shadows, Warren puts the reticle of his scope on the chest of anyone with a radio.  He opens fire as soon as the grenade explodes within their midst.


Warren
In cover, inside Farmhouse 2nd Floor.
Firing 5 Semi-Auto shots [1 Aimed]
AK-103 w/POSP4x24 [30/30]

Minh Quyen
 player, 482 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 30 Mar 2010
at 10:24
Re: The Horsemen
Situating herself on the left, Quyen levels her rifle towards the mounted platoon's flank security. With her finger ready to squeeze the trigger, she keeps it aimed at the center of one of the riders. Upon hearing any shooting, she'll fire a double tap.

Minh Quyen
AK74 (30/30)
With Jan on the NW corner
Aiming at rider on the left flank
Firing 2 shots (1 aimed / 1 quick)

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1716 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 31 Mar 2010
at 00:11
They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

As a few riders pull ahead of the main body, making their way towards the farm's main gate, a rider further back pulls at his horse's reigns and points at the upper windows of the farmhouse. It's too late. The leading edge of the main body of rain-soaked horsemen is no more than 75m from the front gates when Konrad innitiates the ambush.

What follows can only be described as slaughter.

Konrad's 40mm grenade must have had a faulty propellant charge because it lands short of his intended target in the center of the largest cluster of riders. Instead, it explodes about 5m in front of the advancing point rider, showering man and horse with deadly shrapnel and knocking them both to the ground. (Konrad -1 40mm HE)

A second 40mm HE grenade (Tucker's) detonates in the midst of the largest mass of riders, spraying mud and red-hot steel fragments in all directions. Wounded horses rear bug-eyed in terror or fall kicking and screaming to the rain-splashed earth. Some unfortunate riders are thrown by panicking horses while others are crushed my the weight of their falling mounts. (Tucker -1 40mm HE)

Drew joins the symphony of death with a long, staccato burst of GPMG fire. Tracers blaze from a second story window of the farmhouse into the midst of the bloody chaos, striking horse and rider alike. Bullets kick up little geysers of wet soil and chaff all around the horses' stamping, sliding hooves. One or two of the bright red tracers strike burried stones and ricochet high up into the leaden sky. Craig too sends bullets scything into the killing field. It's almost impossible to tell if you've hit your target because so much lead is going downrange and almost all of it, it seems, is hitting home. (Drew -20 round; Craig -10 rounds)

Warren watches through narrow aperture of the scope mounted on his AK-103 as his target's (a squad leader, in his professional opinion) head explodes like an over-ripe mellon. Dieter, concealed somewhere on the team's far right flank, sees a similar picture through his sights as his target, an LMG'er, rocks backwards from a solid chest shot and goes completely limp in the saddle. The survivors are moving too much now to get a good bead on but both shooters squeeze off a couple more quick shots at them anyway. (Warren -3 rounds; Dieter -2 round)

On the team's left flank, Jan looses a 40mm HE grenade at the westernmost outriders just as Dawid begins to rake the same group with PKM fire. With Mariusz and Minh joining in, the results are absolutely devastating. All six riders, and their mounts, go down in a screaming, writhing, bleeding, heap. (Jan -1 40mm HE; Dawid -15 rounds; Mariusz -3 rounds; Minh -3 rounds)

Thor, meanwhile is just settling into a concealed position on the west side of the complex and setting up his rifle, missing out on the opportunity to add his own .50 caliber mayhem to the one-sided fight.

Of the westernmost enemy group, no survivors- neither man nor beast- remain.

In the center, several men and horses are down, either dead or wounded. The rest- about a dozen or so mounted men and at least one riderless horse- begin to scatter and flee in disarray

The eastern group is down two riders- both victims of precision gunfire. One of the three survivors looses a burst of one-handed, automatic fire in the general direction of the farm while trying to turn his horse around with the other. His remaining comrades yank hard on the reigns of their respective mounts, the frightened steeds spinning around in compliance with the rough, unspoken commands.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:05, Wed 31 Mar 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 58 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Wed 31 Mar 2010
at 04:14
And the horses weren't even scratched...
It was too easy Thor thought as Mjollnir settled on it's bipod, barrel lined up with the furthest target.

BOOM
Thunder shattered the air, and the head of a rider on the east flank exploded into red mist.

BOOM
The second shot came a heartbeat later.

BOOM
A third.

BOOM
Then a forth.

BOOM
And a fifth, ripping the arm off the poor soul unlucky enough to have been struck by the lightning.

Thor "The Thunderer"
Five quick shots at furthest targets (still close range though)
At least two dead, possibly three with one more dying.
Barret M82A1 ("Mjollnir") (5/10) + 5x10
H & K USP-9SD, 9mm (15/15) + 3x15
M-26A1 hand grenade, x6
M-18 Smoke grenade, green, x2
M72A4
Bayonet/knife
Entrenching Tool
Individual Tactical Radio

Steven Drew
 player, 218 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Wed 31 Mar 2010
at 05:51
Re: And the horses weren't even scratched...
Drew adjusts his position to get a better view of the scene.  He runs his hands over his remaining belt of ammo to get a feel of how much ammo he has left and to make sure it is clear of kinks or debris.

  He then scans the field, shifting his weapon to cover what his eyes see.  If he sees any signs of movement designed to return fire or move for an offensive he will send a burst of 7.62 rounds into the unfortunate creature.

  Drew mutters,

"Looks like meats back on the menu boys!"

Sgt Drew
M240 w/80 rounds
Scanning and firing at any targets who pose a threat

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:17, Thu 01 Apr 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 75 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Wed 31 Mar 2010
at 06:10
Re: And the horses weren't even scratched...
Dieter adjusted his line of fire to target any enemy attempting to flee. If possible he will taken them down.

Dieter Brandt
In cover on eastern flank, taking out escapees
PSG-1 (18/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio

Craig Sutherland
 player, 94 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 31 Mar 2010
at 07:00
Re: And the horses weren't even scratched...

Craig now concentrated his fire as short bursts as he tried to hit as many of the fleeing riders from the main group as possible. He keeps firing until the main group are well out of range or sight.


AKS-47U (35/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
Fire Support Element
Firing at horsemen
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 13 posts
 American
 Unknown
Wed 31 Mar 2010
at 07:39
Re: And the horses weren't even scratched...
Without breaking rhythm, Jeff continues to work on the flanking group.  He aims 2 shots each at the riders attempting to turn around, and a final round at the rider who got off a burst.  If Dieter or Thor take out any of the riders before he does, he will use the remainder of his rounds as single shots against targets in the center group, prioritizing with those attempting to flee.  Mid-shooting, he calls out "Don't let any get away!"


Jeff "Ghost" Warren
5 quick shots, 2 each at east flank riders attempting to retreat, 1 at the one handed automatic shooter.  If any targets neutralized, remainder aimed at center group.
AK-103 w/POSP4x24 [27/30]

This message was last edited by the player at 07:40, Wed 31 Mar 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 375 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 31 Mar 2010
at 12:50
Targets of Opportunity
Seeing the Western flanking group all collapse like cut wheat Jan adjusted his aim towards the central group and looked for slower moving targets, intending to thin their numbers out even further.  Picking some poor bastard as his target he aimed at the man using the 1.5 times optical sight incorporated into the Steyr before firing a pair of single shots at him.

If he hit he moved onto another target and repeated the process, firing another pair of single shots at his new target.  If he missed then he continued firing at the fleeing man.


Jan
In cover on the NW corner of the farm.
Firing a pair of single shots at a member of the central group.  If he hits he'll fire a second pair of single shots at a different target in the central group.  If he misses then he'll continue firing at the first target.
F88 Steyr AUG (30/30 rounds - 7 mags total)
Underslung M203 (0/1 HE - 9x HE, 4x HEDP & 2x ILLUM total)
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15 rounds - 4 mags total)

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1700 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 31 Mar 2010
at 13:32
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #166):

Gritting his teeth around foul curses in Polish, Dawid kept the trigger depressed as he swept the barrel from left to right. With no one up on the left, he targeted the centre group. He couldn't easily target the far right group, and any stragglers would be taken care of by the prevision weapons weilded by others.

He hated slaughtering the poor horses, but something he'd done all too often in this war. Also during the Twilight War it was common to shoot first if you asked any questions at all, but the horsemen riding hell-bent for leather at the farmhouse with flankers didn't strike him as having particularly peaceful intentions.


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM GPMG (85/100)
in cover, NW corner of farmhouse complex
Grazing fire from left to right, full autofire, centre group.

Minh Quyen
 player, 483 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 31 Mar 2010
at 14:11
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Quyen shifts her position and lines up her rifle with the center group. Selecting one of the nearer riders, she squeezes off another double tap.

Quyen
AK74 (27 rounds)
Left Side
Firing 2 shots at one rider

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 682 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 31 Mar 2010
at 15:25
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Mariusz wasn't sure if any of his shots had caused some of the carnage in front of him but he was certain that he was glad he wasn't on the recieving end of such a massacre.

Things weren't over yet however, he stood up and rested his left elbow on top of teh wall to get a better shot at the retreating horsemen. He reaimed at the nearest fleeing cavalryman that he could see. He took careful aim and squeezed off a single shot at the retreating man's back.

Mariusz
Tantal (27/30)
Standing up
Reaiming
Firing single shot at teh nearest cavalryman

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 801 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 1 Apr 2010
at 00:03
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Cap'n Rae:
As a few riders pull ahead of the main body, making their way towards the farm's main gate, a rider further back pulls at his horse's reigns and points at the upper windows of the farmhouse. It's too late. The leading edge of the main body of rain-soaked horsemen is no more than 75m from the front gates when Konrad innitiates the ambush.

What follows can only be described as slaughter.

A second 40mm HE grenade (Tucker's) detonates in the midst of the largest mass of riders, spraying mud and red-hot steel fragments in all directions. Wounded horses rear bug-eyed in terror or fall kicking and screaming to the rain-splashed earth. Some unfortunate riders are thrown by panicking horses while others are crushed my the weight of their falling mounts. (Tucker -1 40mm HE)

Next Moves?

Tucker takes a quick moment to admire his handy-work with the M-203 launcher as he opens the breech of the weapon as the empty smoking cannister drops to the fllor of the house.  Robert reaches to one of his MOLLE pockets and reloads his launcher with another HE round, closing it, then finds a target to begin firing his rifle at on single-shot.

Tucker
M-16A2 [30/30] / M-203 Reloading HE round
Reloading M-203 with HE round and then get ready to engage targets on single-shot with his M-16A2

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1167 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 1 Apr 2010
at 02:47
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Now kneeling, Bayer ejects the warm, spent 40mm casing and inserts a fresh one. The lack of return fire and the sudden scattering of survivors was a great relief. He'd anticipated dueling it out amongst the farm buildings with some flanking units, but the enemy appeared to be in no position to press an attack.

Rising back up into a standing position, Bayer aims towards one of the fleeing riders in the main group and squeezes off two rounds from his rifle.

As the two shots are fired, he reaches for his radio.

Bayer
G36/HK69 (HE)
Firing 2 shots at rider in center group
Farmhouse (upstairs)

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1719 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 1 Apr 2010
at 23:23
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Focussing on the rapidly dwindling number of enemy horsemen on the team's right flank, Dieter and Warren take care of two of the remaining three riders. Warren's third double tap tears through another skull while Dieter's shot punches through the second to last horseman's torso from back to front. The rider who'd had the temerity to return fire, albeit briefly and wildly, somehow avoids parting shots from both Warren and Dieter and rides north at a gallop. (Warren -3 rounds, Dieter -2 rounds)

With the milling of the wounded horses and the nearly panicked attempts of the surviving riders in what's left of the main/center group to flee the kill sack, it's extremely difficult for the rest of you to tell exactly who is doing what damage to whom. What is clear is that someone is doing something right, as riders and mounts continue to tumble and fall right and left.

All of the following takes place nearly simultaneously and is a mixture of your PC's perception and reality.

Thor's tardy contribution is hard to miss as the big .50 caliber slugs from his Barrett literally tear three men apart in quick succession. (Thor -5 rounds)

Jan squeezes off a double tap at a fleeing rider and, through the 1.5x integral scope of his Augsteyr, is fairly certain he sees his target's scalp jump about six inches to the right before the rider slumps in the saddle and bounces awkardly from the field on the back of his terrified mount. (Jan -2 rounds)

Craig sends two 5-round bursts after the fleeing enemy. The second, he is sure, stiches an enemy rider up the back, sending him falling head-first into the mud. (Craig -10 rounds)

Dawid rakes the most tightly bunched group of riders (there aren't many left now) with another 20-round burst. Tracers disappear into the bellies of two horses and shots also appear to hit three riders. (Dawid -20 rounds)

Minh fires twice and sees her target and his mount fall. Mariusz is somewhat horrified to have shot a rearing horse in the belly. The horse falls on its side, whinying piteously. (Minh -2 rounds; Mariusz -1 round)

Konrad and Tucker both watch their respective targets jump and jerk as their shots appear to strike home but both riders continue unabated to exit the field. Jan's second target escapes unscathed but the man's mount leaps as though stung before galloping wildy away. (Konrad -2; Tucker -1; Jan -2)

During the massacre, Drew scans for threats and, finding none, frugally conserves ammunition. The others appear to have the situation well in hand.

Of the approximately thirty or so riders that came to the farm, only five ride away, a couple of them, at least, apparently wounded. Five riderless horses also trot or gallop away in several direction (mostly northward-ish). Another limps slowly off on only three legs. One clearly traumatized and riderless horse mills around the kill zone aimlessly, dazed but apparently unwounded.

The scene before you resembles the aftermath of Balaclava nearly a century and a half earlier. Light rain continues to fall, drenching the writhing or stone-still forms laying in the mud of the fallow farm field. A few badly wounded men and horses continue to cry out periodically in fear and agony.

Lowering his eyes from his scope, Warren notices Coulter laid out on the floor beside him. The top of the Green Beret's head is a mangled mess of blood, brain matter, skull, and hair.

Next Moves?

OOC: The battle- if you can call it that- is effectively over. Any shot attempts from here on out are going to be rolled as impossible skill checks (1/4 attribute + skill, rounded down).

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:49, Thu 01 Apr 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 95 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 2 Apr 2010
at 00:58
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?


Braced against the table and with his legs spread wide. Craig aims at one of the fleeing riders and fires a three round burst, he does the same to two of the other horsemen. He wasn't going to let any leave even if there is  the slimiest of chances of bringing them down.

He turns to Tucker and Apel as he moves forward after firing;

“Cover me, and then follow”

As he moves out of the house foyer to the stone fence surrounding the courtyard he uses his radio.

"All elements. Lightning 5, Hailstorm 2 and Hailstorm 4 moving forward to stone wall. Out."

Here he waits for Tucker and Apel to catch up as he covers the field full of the dead and dieing.



AKS-47U (25/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
Fire Support Element
Firing at horsemen
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1168 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 2 Apr 2010
at 02:27
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
"Hold up. Wait for it." Bayer replies over the net to Sutherland.

Bayer speaks rather slowly into the radio, "All call signs, Sunray. Cease fire and send me a casualty report." He then slings his rifle and begins heading down the stairs to the ground floor, continuing with his message, "Sutherland, Tucker, Jan, Quyen... move forward and sweep the kill zone. Leave weaponry recovery until you've confirmed back with me on the status on the dead and any survivors." He stressed the word 'survivors' as he didn't want any potential prisoner's killed.

"Dieter, Thor... reestablish a suitable OP. Dawid, you have command of both gun teams and with the sniper det. Coordinate and maintain all around security. Friendlies to the front."

"Out."

Now on the ground floor, Bayer waves over at Apel before heading out the front door, "Head upstairs and join with Drew's gun team. Coutler's gone."

Bayer will then position himself midway between the main body in the farm and the clearing team out in the kill zone. While the sweep is being done, Bayer will cover them and scan with his image intensifiers.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:29, Fri 02 Apr 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 96 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 2 Apr 2010
at 03:06
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Konrad Bayer:
"Hold up. Wait for it." Bayer replies over the net to Sutherland.

Bayer speaks rather slowly into the radio, "All call signs, Sunray. Cease fire and send me a casualty report." He then slings his rifle and begins heading down the stairs to the ground floor, continuing with his message, "Sutherland, Tucker, Jan, Quyen... move forward and sweep the kill zone. Leave weaponry recovery until you've confirmed back with me on the status on the dead and any survivors." He stressed the word 'survivors' as he didn't want any potential prisoner's killed.



As the message comes over the net Craig stops at the door frame and takes a knee as he waits for the Captain. He scans the field looking for any survivors. Once the additional orders have been relayed he gives a nod to the Captain then looks towards Tucker as he moves to the wall to wait for the others.

AKS-47U (25/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
Fire Support Element
Firing at horsemen
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1704 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 2 Apr 2010
at 03:41
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #180):

Stiffly, Dawid stood up, leaving the PKM where it was. The barrel smoked a little in the cool, although he'd put rather few shots compared to usual through it. There was no brass twinkling on the ground, as the brass-catcher contained all the spent casings and links. He turned away from the carnage and collected himself, lighting a cigarette to calm down.

"Yes. Fine. Mariusz, good work."

He raised his voice, not wanting to use the radio. "SNIPERS! MACHINE GUN CREWS! ON ME IN THE FRONT! ON ME!" Sound discipline was pointless after the recent fusillade. He squatted down behind the stone wall, not wanting to invite a sniper or stray shot but keeping in view of the house.

When everyone got there he explained, "we will set up perimeter defence. We are expecting the threat to come from the front. Therefore I will deploy here in the northwest corner. Drew, you take northeast. We will dig in and create an interlocking field of fire. Dieter, deploy Thor and yourself to cover the southern approach. Arpel, I see Coulter is out of the fight, bad luck."

Knowing that Drew would know his stuff, he spoke to dieter and Thor. "Good work, Dieter, keep it up. You too, Thor. Deploy yourselves to cover the rear and flanks." He made it clear he was primarily addressing Dieter, reinforcing who was in charge between them.

OOC: I am assuming that the PCs in question heed his call to assemble. If not, he sends Mariusz to physically round people up.
Steven Drew
 player, 219 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Fri 2 Apr 2010
at 05:42
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
  Drew replies to the call.  At the mad idea of staying in the area when the survivors of their attack are riding back to alert their presnce he is angry.

"Are you smoking fucking crack?" he asks.

  "Ya know they now know we are here.  What the fuck are you thinking?  Duudem you suffer a head wound we should know about?  I mean, the decisions you are making are really fucked up.  I mean really dude!"

  Drew complies after voicing his concerns and questioning the current leadership.

  As he takes a position he shouts,

"Hey, fucktard!   How about getting some of that horse meat before it rots, some hot food may help us from getting sick in this fuckin rain."

  Drew settles in under his poncho as he mutters,

"I may have ta frag that fuckin polack!"


Sgt Drew
Settling in under his poncho not overly secure in the leadership
M240 w/ 80 rounds

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:27, Fri 02 Apr 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 381 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 2 Apr 2010
at 07:03
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Hearing Konrad's orders to check the fallen enemy across the radio Jan rose from his position.  "Hailstorm's five and three acknowledged!" he replied quickly across the radio net.

"Minh, we're sweeping the enemy, looking for survivors," he said, relaying Konrad's orders.  "Back me up!"

He climbed over the low stone wall he'd been crouched behind and started to make his way forward.  "Tuck and Craig should also be sweeping from the other end," he added, aiming to ensure that Minh knew exactly what was going on.  "Konrad says to leave weapon collection for the moment.  He wants a prisoner to interrogate."


Jan
Moving forward to sweep the enemy dead & wounded.
F88 Steyr AUG (26/30 rounds - 7 mags total)
Underslung M203 (0/1 HE - 9x HE, 4x HEDP & 2x ILLUM total)
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15 rounds - 4 mags total)

Dieter Brandt
 player, 77 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Fri 2 Apr 2010
at 07:22
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Dieter moved quickly to a position to see the remaining riders fleeing. If possible he will compose himself and use his old sports shooting training to target the riders and fire single aimed shots to take them down if he can.

Once this is done he concentrated on the wounded horse. Taking aim, he targetted a shot between it's eyes, trying to kill it instantly and put it out of it's misery. He hated to see a wounded animal, and the sight of so many dead and dying horses made him physically sick, but he had a job to do.

Once the horse was dealt with he acknowledged Dawid's orders. To Thor he instructed, "Thor, you take the South-Western corner and find a good spot, then cover the approach from there." He hoped the Norwegian would understand this instruction, or would have the wits to decide this himself.

OOC - Depending on Thor's location, Dieter will have either given this instruction face-to-face or over the radio.

He then moved himself into the South Eastern corner and found a good OP, and set about covering the flank. Once in cover he made sure his rifle was clear of debris from the fight, and replaced the magazine with a fresh one.

Dieter Brandt
In cover in SE corner of compound, covering East and South
PSG-1 (16/20) - will replace the magazine
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 17 posts
 American
 Unknown
Fri 2 Apr 2010
at 07:48
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Jeff takes one last double tap at the last rider from the Eastern Flank, and then lowers his rifle.  These strangers had been brutally efficient, finishing the job he and his men had started, although the ones who escaped were an inevitable shame.

Let them tell the Baron what has happened here.  Dissent, Fear, Chaos.  Exactly what was needed amongst his men.

He gives the dead man [Coulter] a quick glance to confirm he is in fact dead.  That one burst had been incredibly lucky to slay the Green Beret.  Ghost wondered if he had seen him before when he first glanced at him, but hostile action had prevented a good look, or formal introduction.  Now with everything above his jaw scattered across the room, it was unlikely he would ever know, and at this point care.  He nonchalantly flicks a tooth off of his shoulder.  He takes the man's knife, and gives him a quick pat down of useful gear before heading downstairs.

Once there, he first amuses himself at the remarks of the man he had taken to be a Marine earlier [Drew], albeit without showing any emotion.  Finding the Hauptmann, Ghost lowers his brown bandanna from around his face to by his neck for the first time, revealing his full face [Eyes are still semi-concealed under Soviet style patrol cap, however].

"One of your men is dead, I do not know his name.  Sorry.  Had an AK-74.  I relieved him of some of his gear, if you don't mind.  He's upstairs."

He then moves with the Captain to watch the rest of the squad slowly move through the dead and dying.

"You know Hauptmann, I can be of use in 'questioning' those survivors. Afterwords, we should still kill them to make an example."

All of what he has said is low, but concise enough to be understood.

OOC: I'll let you guys know what gear I took once I see a list.  It won't be much, and it won't be all the good stuff either.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:18, Sat 03 Apr 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 683 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 2 Apr 2010
at 12:09
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
"Thanks," Mariusz said to Dawid. He bent down and picked up the four spent shell casings and then rearranged the spare ammo belts into his ammo pouches.

He looked around and stood next to Dawid, "Who's good with animals? We need to get that horse calmed down and get the injured horse. That way we might be able to attract the strays. Do you want me to stand guard or pick up enemy casualties?"

He listened to Drew's diatribe and cocked his head to Dawid, "What language is that guy speaking? It sounds like American but I'm only getting one word in ten."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1705 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 2 Apr 2010
at 12:37
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #187):

Dawid let Drew rant and merely replied, "I am sorry, Drew, I do not have any of this "crack" of which you speak for you to smoke. Please accept my apologies! I do have some vodka if you like."

After Drew stormed off, he confided to Mariusz,

"We were told many American soldiers are criminal drug addicts, and like heavily-armed children often murder their officers and NCOs for little or no reason when they are told to do something. It is little wonder they have done so poorly in this war, despite having so much! It is much like the American war of aggression on Viet Nam, or so I am told." He shook his head ruefully.

He replaced the half-spent ammunition belt with a fresh one, then covered his weapon. Taking out his entrenching took and began digging a fighting position. The rich farmland soil was wet and although it was unpleasant it was relatively easy to dig.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:45, Fri 02 Apr 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 221 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Fri 2 Apr 2010
at 17:02
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

  Drew continues to dig.  He casts angry looks at the two Poles muttering,

"Fuckin Pollocks!" as he heaves a blade full of mud from his hole, in their direction.

"Fuckin cannon cocksuckers, don't know jack about shit."

  Drew continues to dig as he grumbles and the rain continues to fall on them.

"Fuckin may as well be diggin my own fuckin grave....fucking <unintelligble grumling>"

  Drew digs a decent position but due to the weather as of late it is not likely a real position will be dug.  Drew does make a point to ensure his M240 is covered by his poncho as he digs and it remains dry.  He also makes sure he is in a good position that allows a good field of view and fire, as well as multiple means of escape to the woods.

  Drew eyes the others positions as well and shakes his head muttering even more.

"May as well put out a fuckin callin card, digging in."  As he looks around surveying their position.

"A fuckin commie kid and pogue....this is gonna suck."

  Drew resists the urge to light up one of his cigarettes although he feels he needs one badly.  He hands instinctivly go to the pocket they are kept and then falls down realizing its too dark.  He mutters,

"Not even a last fuckin cigarette.  Fuck....at least I got my grave dug....what a cluster."

Sgt Drew
M240 w/ E-tool in hand
Digging his grave err fighting position

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1721 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 2 Apr 2010
at 22:31
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

At some point it occurs to you that you haven't seen Apel for some time. He was on the lower floor of the farmhouse- at least Craig remembers seeing him there as they prepared to fight off the horsemen- but now he is nowhere to be found.

OOC: No need to edit your posts but, just to clarify, no one has seen Apel since just before the firefight started.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:41, Fri 02 Apr 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1710 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 03:50
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #190):

Noticing Drew was working alone, Dawid said to Mariusz, "shit. You better go find that Arpel chap. Drew could use a hand before he blows a fuse! He's probably with Konrad."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1169 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 07:18
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Positioned in the middle between the farm and the sweep team, Bayer squats alone, watching the progress of the sweep team and keeping an extra eye out on the horizon. Every few seconds he'll also steal a glance over towards the dazed and traumatized horse still standing amidst the carnage of men and beast alike.

After a few moments, Bayer stands and begins walks towards the kill zone, slinging his rifle. Leaving the dead/alive men and animals for the sweep team to deal with, he focuses on the horse. Approaching slowly with his arms down by his sides and palms open, Bayer speaks calmly to the animal. Then after having gotten in close, he squats down in the field, making himself seem as less of a threat as possible while still trying to soothe the animal.

If he can, Bayer will then rise and try to take passive control of the horse. He won't grip onto its reigns or anything, just make physical contact with it by placing his hands on the animal, while giving it room to back off if its not ready.

OOC - Rae, I'm going to try using Bayer's Riding asset to calm/control the horse.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 684 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 08:13
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Mariusz listened to Dawid talk about the Americans and said, "Some seem like that, just like some ZOMO were sadistic bastards and others were good guys in bad circumstances. Same with the Russians. I remember what Brother Stanislaw said about them, "The Americans have fought for freedom in three world wars and countless other wars and they have won more often than not, yet all the land they have taken has been the ground in which to bury their dead." Now, I know like all pieces of rhetoric that's not fully true but it's true enough. Drew might be a grumbling old fart but he's here and he's fighting and every enemy he kills is one step closer to us freeing the Motherland. He doesn't have to like us, he just has to keep fighting and I trust him to do that. The fact that he's moaning just means he has the breath to stay in the fight."

He looked at the hasty position he'd been preparing with Dawid, "I'll look for Arpel but things are a bit confused, if I can't find him I'll help Drew. taht sound OK?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1712 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 10:47
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #193):

Dawis raised an eyebrow. "Well, there was the American war of extermination against the Indians, the unsuccessful one against the British and Canadians, their victory over the Mexican Empire, and the aggressive war against Spain, all of which helped them gain new territory. You can't choose to remember the "good" wars and forget the "bad" ones! Even the Americans have their problems, what with the military coup against their government, so perhaps they have to relearn their own lesson in freedom and democracy, yes? The ones that are here to help us, yes, I am glad for that. Maybe Drew is just blowing off steam."

Lecture over, he was all business. "Check in the house, first, then report to me and Konrad if you can't find him. After, go help Drew, why not?"
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 66 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 13:08
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Konrad Bayer:
"All call signs, Sunray. Cease fire and send me a casualty report."

"Thunderer still able to take escaping enemy," Thor replied over his tac radio while lining up for another shot at the fleeing horsemen.
"You sure you want let go? They still in range of Mjollnir. Easy if use Járngreipr too."

Thor "The Thunderer"
Reporting by radio to Konrad while aiming for additional shots
Barret M82A1 ("Mjollnir") (5/10) + 5x10 (base range 139+35m)
H & K USP-9SD, 9mm (15/15) + 3x15
M-26A1 hand grenade, x6
M-18 Smoke grenade, green, x2
M72A4
Bayonet/knife
Entrenching Tool
Individual Tactical Radio

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1713 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 16:46
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Dawid radioed Konrad, "Just to let you know, Kapitan, I can easily butcher the horses. I know how, I've lived on a farm and spent time in the woods."

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:30, Sat 03 Apr 2010.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1170 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 17:29
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Thor Halgeirsen:
Konrad Bayer:
"All call signs, Sunray. Cease fire and send me a casualty report."

"Thunderer still able to take escaping enemy," Thor replied over his tac radio while lining up for another shot at the fleeing horsemen.
"You sure you want let go? They still in range of Mjollnir. Easy if use Járngreipr too."


Prior to previous actions I posted Bayer doing...

Bayer radios back, "Sunray. Roger. Give them another volley."

The rest as posted (including acknowledging Dawid)...
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1724 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 17:55
The Butcher's Bill

When he pulls the trigger, Craig's AKS-74U jams. By the time he clears it, the riders are well outside the effective range of the Soviet-made carbine. After double checking checking the action, Craig moves outside to the low stone wall where he and Tucker provide close cover for Jan and Minh as the pair moves cautiously towards the mass of dead and dying men and horses. (Craig -1 round)

Dieter takes careful aim at the badly wounded horse's head and, with a single shot, puts the suffering animal out of its misery. (Dieter -1 round)

Thor's Barrett 82A1 thunders five more times as he attempts to pick off the surviving riders. The rider's improbable luck holds and they continue their headlong flight for the treeline to the north. (Thor -5 rounds)

Mariusz moves quickly through the house but can find no trace of Apel. He exits out the back door to make sure that the cargo bikes are still there. One, at least, is. The other is gone. Most of the packs that had been strapped to it are still there, lying next to the remaining bike, but one of the food bags appears to be missing. In its place is the manpack radio Apel had been carrying. Several quickly disolving boot prints lead off to the south.

Drew, meanwhile, begins digging his fighting hole. After every shovel-full of wet soil, the earth at the bottom of the hole starts filling up with muddy rain-water. He lets loose another stream of curses.

Warren polices up Coulter's gear and covers the dead man's face with a pillow case before exiting the house and moving towards the wall to help cover Konrad and the others. (Warren has stacked Coulter's gear in the farmhouse's front room.)

Konrad climbs over the wall behind Jan and Minh and follows it to the east where the seemingly unwounded horse stands timidly amidst the bodies of four dead riders (all shot through either the head or torso). The horse shies away a bit as Konrad approaches, but, moving slowly and speaking soothingly, the German officer still manages to gently grab ahold of its reigns. The horse allows Konrad to reassuringly stroke its brown muzzle.

Jan and Minh quickly find a prisoner. A moaning man catches their attention. While Minh covers him, Jan drags the man- who lets out a pained yell- from beneath his dead mount. The man's pelvis is probably crushed but he is otherwise unwounded. In her peripheral vision, Minh sees a man lying on his side in the mud rise up on to one elbow and shakily attempts to level his short-barrelled AK at Jan.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:05, Sat 03 Apr 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 685 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 18:09
Re: The Butcher's Bill
Mariusz cursed loudly as he saw that Apel was gone. He dashed out of the house and called to Bayer, "Kaptain, Apel has gone and stolen one of the bikes and some food. That puts him in the frame for the traitorous bastard that ratted on us here. I hope we find him again, I'll serve him his balls in batter."
Minh Quyen
 player, 484 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 20:07
Re: The Butcher's Bill
In the instant Quyen swings the rifle over to bear on the threat to their flank, she briefly contemplates attempting a peaceful resolution. However by the time her aiming posts were lined up on her target, she figured this guy was probably already committed to ending things here in a hail of bullets.

Quyen will three shots into him. "Look out!" she yells to Jan.

Subsequent action will be to continue firing if the there is still a threat.

Quyen
AK74 (27/30)
Firing semi-automatic

Jan Cerny
 player, 388 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 20:27
Re: The Butcher's Bill
Hearing Quyen's yelled warning Jan reacted harshly.  He dived away from the armed man without releasing the wounded man he had been dragging clear of the fallen horse.  He was trying to use the wounded man as a shield, putting him between Jan and man Quyen had warned him about.

Though Konrad wanted a prisoner Jan would rather the crippled man took a bullet than take the risk of one hitting himself!


Jan
Diving for cover and using the wounded man as a shield.
F88 Steyr AUG (26/30 rounds - 7 mags total)
Underslung M203 (0/1 HE - 9x HE, 4x HEDP & 2x ILLUM total)
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15 rounds - 4 mags total)

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1727 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 21:10
Re: The Butcher's Bill

Minh takes quick aim and puts two rounds into the brave but rash potential shooter's unprotected abdomen. The man instantly drops his weapon and doubles up in the mud in obvious pain and shock. He is no longer an imminent threat. In all likelihood, he'll be dead in minutes if not seconds. (Minh -3 rounds)

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:11, Sat 03 Apr 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 390 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 21:20
Re: The Butcher's Bill
"Thanks," Jan said with relief to Quyen as he took a deep breath.  For a second there he had feared that he might never get the chance to breathe again!

Jan then returned to his prisoner, checking to see if being thrown around like a shield had finished the man off.

"You still alive?" he asked the wounded man he had hold of, speaking in Polish.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1728 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 21:33
Re: The Butcher's Bill

The man grimaces in agony. He eyes stare uncomprehendingly at Jan. He babbles something incomprehensible. It sounds like he's speaking Russian but it's hard to tell.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 97 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 21:39
Re: The Butcher's Bill

Craig curses as his AK jams, he works the bolt as the horsemen gain even more distance raising the rifle to his shoulder as the riders disappear.

”Shit, they will be back .”

He says to no one,  moving forward to the stone wall he covers the search party. Scanning to their immediate front for any threats and movement

He reacts to Minh's sudden change in posture more then anything else as she raises her rifle. Craig drops the muzzle of his rifle ready to fire just as Minh takes down the wounded man. Craig moves forward to the edge of the killing field with his rifle at his shoulder taking up a new position to better cover the group.

AKS-47U (24/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
Fire Support Element
Covering search party from stone wall
Jan Cerny
 player, 391 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 21:42
Re: The Butcher's Bill
Jan quickly searched the wounded prisoner for any weapons and then ensured that he wasn't lying anywhere near one either.  He then pulled the belt off a nearby corpse and used it to tie the man's hands together.

"I think that this one's Russian," he called across to Konrad and the others, before continuing the sweep of the bodies with Quyen.  From now onwards though he ensured that any firearms were pulled out of reach of any potential survivors before he started checking for signs of life.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 80 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 21:46
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
Dawid radioed Konrad, "Just to let you know, Kapitan, I can easily butcher the horses. I know how, I've lived on a farm and spent time in the woods."


Dieter follows up on the radio, "I can help, I've cleaned enough game in my time. Let me know if you want a hand."

After finishing off the wounded horse, Dieter replaces the clip with a fresh mag. He will refill the old one later.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:48, Sat 03 Apr 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 226 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 04:24
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
  At the shouts and subsiquent gunfire Drew shoulders his weapon and takes cover behind the mound of muddy earth he has placed infront of his hole scanning the area in hopse of covering those who were in the field to police the dead and catch the stray horses.

  "Fuckin monkey fuck!"  he hisses.

  "Whose fuckin security!  Fucking piss me off.  Fuckers goin out without overwatch.  Thought we had snipers...tell me those fuckers are doin their job the lazy fucks....where the fuck is that kid....babel...abba Abel...where the fuck is he.  Fucker should be helpin dig.  Fucking dig in the fuckin freezin rain and we're gonna be boogeying soon.  Whats the fuckin point...fuckin flying monkey cluster fuck....three ring progie eating circus!"

  Drew spits out a piece of old muddy wood that has gotten in his mouth while diving for cover and shouldering his machinegun.

"PFFFT!...Bleh!...This sucks."

Sgt Drew
M240
Taking a break from digging to shoulder his machinegun and cover his team members while bitching and moaning, but hey, being in the cold wet rain sucks!

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:45, Sun 04 Apr 2010.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 806 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 05:31
Re: The Butcher's Bill
Craig Sutherland:
”Shit, they will be back.”  He says to no one,  moving forward to the stone wall he covers the search party. Scanning to their immediate front for any threats and movement

He reacts to Minh's sudden change in posture more then anything else as she raises her rifle. Craig drops the muzzle of his rifle ready to fire just as Minh takes down the wounded man. Craig moves forward to the edge of the killing field with his rifle at his shoulder taking up a new position to better cover the group.

Tucker moves up to a spot near by to Sutherland and (if he's still able to fire at a target) Robert will begin to engage targets that Craig was shooting at OR try and assist Minh and the immediate threat to her and Jan (if he can do that!  Once again, sorry for posting so late)

Tucker
M-16A2 29/30 / M-203 [HE]
Trying to help out wherever he can

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:46, Sun 04 Apr 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 67 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 06:35
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Steven Drew:
"Whose fuckin security!  Fucking piss me off.  Fuckers goin out without overwatch.  Thought we had snipers...tell me those fuckers are doin their job the lazy fucks....where the fuck is that kid....babel...abba Abel...where the fuck is he.  Fucker should be helpin dig.  Fucking dig in the fuckin freezin rain and we're gonna be boogeying soon.  Whats the fuckin point...fuckin flying monkey cluster fuck....three ring progie eating circus!"

Thor heard Dellingr bitching, moaning and complaining and agreed completely with him. People had begun to move into the kill zone before the battle, such as it was, was even over. There'd simply been no time for anyone to deploy into proper positions, something that obviously needed to be talked about later.

In the meantime, Thor kept his mouth shut, replaced the spent magazine with a fresh one, and repositioned himself to fill the gap in the south west. At the end of the long building on the southern extremity of the farm, he found himself a relatively dry position under the eaves, settled down on the ground and slowly, carefully worked on concealing himself and his weapon while watching his arc.

"Thunderer in position."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 686 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 08:13
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Mariusz finished reporting the desertion of Apel and then walked over to Drew's position.

"That putin, Apel, has run off with a bike and some food. That leaves me as the only assistant gunner. I've helped Dawid dig in a bit, do you want help here?" he asked.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 25 posts
 American
 Unknown
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 08:57
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Jeff had followed somewhat behind Bayer, although he remained a safe distance away, and stood ready to blend into cover at a moment's notice.  After Minh had obliterated the wounded enemy, Jeff reemerged and approached Bayer.

[German]"You know Captain, my offer still stands on 'assistance' for 'questioning'.  My Russian, as you have seen, is excellent, and my government has taught me well on how to extract information."

Back in the rain, and preparing for interrogation, Jeff has replaced his trademark bandanna around his mouth and nose, leaving only his blue eyes, which are still concealed behind the brim of his Soviet issue patrol cap.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1173 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 09:24
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Jeff D. Warren:
[German]"You know Captain, my offer still stands on 'assistance' for 'questioning'.  My Russian, as you have seen, is excellent, and my government has taught me well on how to extract information."


"Do you have interrogation schooling?" Bayer asks as he guides the horse back towards the farm. "One of my team is trained in such." Following his reply, he adds, "If you can be of assistance you may help."

Once the horse was back at the farm, he tied its reigns to something secure near the bikes. He'd hold off any move orders until the sweep team was done as well as a few more tasks that needed completion.

When he heard about Apel, he did all he could do suppress and conceal the rage. "Does the OP have any sight of him? Is he within rifle range?"

This message was last edited by the player at 09:24, Sun 04 Apr 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 227 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 17:37
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #211):

Drew looks at the youth.

"Thanks Mar."  as he mutters,

"That sonofabitch."

  As Drew pauses for a moment his jaw visibly clenched,

"That fucker took my extra ammo."  Fuck!  Fuckity fuckity fuck!" he mutters.

  Drew traces the belt of ammo in his weapon with his fingers.

"Gotta be more careful from now on....."

  Turning to Mar,

"Ya know Mar, I fuckin had turncoats and traitors.  I fuckin hate em."

  Realising Mar has asked a question he replies,

"No.  I got it good enough kid.  We aren't gonna stay here long, its good enough.  Thanks though."

Sgt Drew
M240 with 100 rounds less ammo than he had a minute ago
Done digging, and now feeling very tired, PS he still doesn't know about the casualties.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 687 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 19:27
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
"No problem," Mariusz said, "that traitor left the radio he was carrying, I'll see if he left the spare ammo there, otherwise, will the MG3 ammo fit your gun? I have two belts for that."

Mariusz waited to hear Drew's reply and then returned to where Apel had left the radio to see if the ammo was there too.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 26 posts
 American
 Unknown
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 23:34
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Konrad Bayer:
"Do you have interrogation schooling?" Bayer asks as he guides the horse back towards the farm. "One of my team is trained in such." Following his reply, he adds, "If you can be of assistance you may help."

"Yes, although it is not my specialization.  I will work with your interrogator as a supplement to their abilities.  Good Cop, Bad cop.  Just tell me who this interrogator is, and if there's any specific information you want, and I will inform them and then we will set up to begin questioning the prisoner, likely in one of the out buildings."

He pauses for a moment, then adds, "What do you want us to do after we have all the information we need?"

Once Jeff has all the information he needs from Bayer, and the perimeter is secured, he will move off to find the other interrogator, and relay Bayer's instructions.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1715 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 5 Apr 2010
at 03:02
Re: The Butcher's Bill
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #204):

After Mariusz left, Dawid continued digging in the rain. He looked up from his wet and filthy work when the few scuffle and shots at the ambush site happened, although he didn't flinch when Thor's cannon went off. Satisfied that this wasn't some new call to arms he continued.

After a few minutes he stopped to rest in the rain. Sighing, he called over to to the other gun position, "Mariusz, Coulter had Drew's spare ammunition. Please go fetch it if he hasn't already!"
Steven Drew
 player, 228 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Mon 5 Apr 2010
at 04:42
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #215):

"Don't waste your time kid....If he jett'ed then he probably didnt't stop ta dummp his gear....and don't worry about the MG, that is non desingigrating link, my stuff is.  Two different loading systems....whats done is done...we just gotta play it alot closer...er more cautious now is all kid."

Sgt Drew
M240
Watching, talking to Mar

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:00, Tue 06 Apr 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 688 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 5 Apr 2010
at 08:54
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
"It's no problem, Mr. Drew," Mariusz said smiling, "it's good exercise and I now know something more about Western guns. That's always good."

As he trotted to check for the ammo he heard Dawid's call and replied, "I'm on it Dawid."

He quickly found Coulter's blood spattered gear and located the ammunition belts. At the same time he stripped of several rounds of AK-74 ammunition and topped up his ready magazine.

He returned to Drew and said, "Here's the ammo," he paused for a moment and brought out his tobacco tin, "do you smoke? I only have roll ups made of old butts, but these three are made of cigar stubs, I haven't tried them yet so I don't know what they're like, these four are from Western butts. Would you like one?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1730 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 6 Apr 2010
at 04:17
Cleaning Up

By the time Thor repositions himself on the south side of the farm complex, Apel is nowhere to be seen. Fortunately, he left all of the 7.62mm N ammo behind with Coulter, and while he could have deprived the team of one of its medium range radios, he did not. Perhaps his flight was not traitorous in the sense that he is actively aiding the enemy, but merely cowardly. He never seemed much like the soldiering type.

Jan and Warren drag the injured Cossack to one of the farm's outbuildings and lie him on a heavy wooden work bench. The man's hair is long and unkempt, as is his beard. His clothing and equipment are mostly Red Army issue. With every bump and jostle, he cries out in pain. He can't move either of his legs without adding to his agony. As he's laid out on the table, he begs for a shot of morphine or a slug (or nine) of Vodka.

Minh, Craig, and Tucker clear the rest of the kill zone. A couple of direly wounded horses loll about in the muck and mud. A couple of others are just barely clinging to life. Steam rises out of their many fresh wounds. Minh, Craig, and Tucker also find two badly wounded men, besides the one Minh's just gut-shot. Both are pretty far gone, each barely conscious and covered in a messy paste of blood and mud. It's hard to determine where and to what extent they are wounded. About 50m further north is a man trying to crawl away. This is made particularly difficult by the fact that he's missing his left arm from just above the elbow. Blood drips from the huge, open wound.

The last of the surviving horsemen have disappeared into the treeline to the north.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:39, Tue 06 Apr 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1718 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 6 Apr 2010
at 14:16
Re: Cleaning Up
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #220):

"Shit!"

Dawid dropped his entrenching tool, exhausted but also sickened. Leaving the PKM in it's cover, he climbed out of the MG position.

Drawing his pistol, he chambered a round and walked towards the wounded horses, intending to to put them out of their misery. Bayer had the unwounded horse secure, there was little to lose by shooting the others.

It was one of the few acts of mercy that could be performed in this war, not the least because the meat could be salvaged.

He noted the wounded man. Once he had finished off the horses he would go over to him. At that time he would decide if he was going to bind his wounds or show him the same mercy he'd shown the horses. If the man was one of the Baron's men, or even just a bandit, it was more than he deserved.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 27 posts
 American
 Unknown
Tue 6 Apr 2010
at 20:02
Re: Cleaning Up
Cap'n Rae:
Jan and Warren drag the injured Cossack to one of the farm's outbuildings and lie him on a heavy wooden work bench. The man's hair is long and unkempt, as is his beard. His clothing and equipment are mostly Red Army issue. With every bump and jostle, he cries out in pain. He can't move either of his legs without adding to his agony. As he's laid out on the table, he begs for a shot of morphine or a slug (or nine) of Vodka.

Jeff ignores the wounded man's pleas for now, and instead turns to Jan.  "I need you to find the other interrogator and bring them here.  I will handle it in the meantime.  After you're both back, stand off to the side looking very tough and menacing, as if you are going to break every bone in his body, because I'm going to tell him just that.

With that, he turns to the wounded Russian.  The first thing he does is shush him quiet, and then Jeff speaks. "Привет, мой друг, я Павел Филиппов КГБ. Я знаю, ты трусливый дезертир родины, а не с единицы в нашей славной нападение на собак в НАТО. Я знаю, вы и ваши друзья пытались теперь убить меня дважды в последние тридцать шесть часов. Я также знаю, что я только у вас есть шанс выжить свои раны, и возвращается к вашему дому." To reinforce this last point, Jeff pats the man in what would normally be a friendly way on the thigh, however he has applied just enough force to make the man scream out in pain, which is exactly what he intended. "Теперь, вот - то, что собирается случаться. Вы собираетесь давать мне информацию об этом Бароне, Вы работаете для, и мужчины, с которыми Вы работаете. Все Вы знаете. Числа, местоположения, оружие, слабости, сильные пункты, все. И не стесняйтесь добавлять что - нибудь еще, что Вы думали бы, что кто - то в моем положении найдет полезным. Если Вы не делаете, то мой друг, которого Вы только встретили, вернет его друга, и они не хорошие люди. Я проинструктировал их что, если Вы не говорите, когда они возвращаются, что они должны будут отключить ваши яички. Мы не имеем товарища большого количества времени, таким образом я предлагаю, чтобы Вы сказали мне, что я хочу знать."  Jeff waits patiently for the man to speak, and for Minh and Jan to return.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:03, Tue 06 Apr 2010.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1731 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 6 Apr 2010
at 21:35
Re: Cleaning Up

Still begging for something to dull his considerable pain, the wounded Cossack spills his guts. What he reveals is news to Warren but much of it is already known to the others (see message #31 in Intel thread).

He adds that the Baron's army- the Black Legion, he calls it- has been somewhat dimished by recent actions against a large group of heavily armed "Catholic Crusader Zealots" from a little pilgrim's town to the southeast of Warsaw, on the west bank of the Vistula. The Baron thinks that these zealots are receiving aid from Lublin.

The company of Cossack cavalry of whom the wounded man had been a part has been playing cat and mouse with a small group of Red Army soldiers for the past two days or so. The cavalry company lost a whole platoon (KIA and WIA) in killing them off. Two wounded Soviet soldiers were captured and taken to Warsaw for interrogation. The rest were put to the sword. This man and his mounted platoon were searching for survivors. They'd learned of the farm from the Polish cavalry unit that had been sent to collect the farmer and his household a couple of days earlier. Apparently, this couple had been aiding and abetting a deserter from the Black Legion's Western (ex-NATO) company. The cossack platoon was going to search the farm before bedding down there for the night. The cossack company is now effectively kaput.

He also adds the following tidbit. The Baron is currently building a sort of fort (he calls it a castle) in south Warsaw, on the east bank overlooking the river. He's building it around the remains of old National Stadium on the southern edge of the old Praga neighborhood. He's using civilian labor levies to move rubble and construct a large outer wall on the remains of the grandstands.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:45, Wed 07 Apr 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 394 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 6 Apr 2010
at 23:28
Re: Cleaning Up
Jan had followed Warren's instructions and had returned with Minh to help with the interrogation of the prisoner.  It appeared that the man was so badly wounded however that he would tell Warren whatever he wanted to hear.  Not understanding Russian Jan wasn't sure whether the information was useful or not or whether it corroborated things they already knew.

"I don't think you need me here anymore," Jan muttered to Warren and Minh when the prisoner stopped for breath at one point.  With a nod he then exited the workshop they were in and headed back to the scene of carnage.

Once there he started the grisly task of searching bodies for useful and salvageable equipment, ruthlessly stripping them of anything valuable.  He carried everything he found into the farmhouse, picking a room to use as a storeroom, intending to then catalogue what they had recovered so that they could decide what to do with it all.  Jan suspected that it was going to be more than they could carry on their available transport!
Dieter Brandt
 player, 82 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Tue 6 Apr 2010
at 23:40
Re: Cleaning Up
As the steam rose from the mound of dead horses and soldiers, Dieter pulled his coat close around himself. It was getting colder, and the skies were darkening. He didn't really want to hang around here any longer than they had too.

He was annoyed with himself for letting some of the riders escape. He knew he was a good shot, and though Thor was arrogant, he was at least telling the truth about his skills. But it was still annoying that they escaped. This meant that the farmhouse, which an hour ago had seemed like a comfortable refuge for the night, was now a target, and he didn't want to be here when the enemy returned, in force.

He turned back to the job in hand. He shifted position to get a better view to the north of the farm complex. He couldn't see anyone returning, but it was only a matter of time.

Wondering what Thor was up to, and where he was now that the gunfight had finished, he keyed into the radio and said, "Thunder 2 this is Thunder 1. Status and location report please, over."

OOC - assuming Thor confirms all is well he will continue:

To Bayer he then radioed, "Hailstorm 1, this is Thunder 1. Perimeter is secure and compound is safe, for the time being. Suggest we prepare to leave as soon as possible. Awaiting further instructions, over."

He then went back to covering the perimeter, watching for newcomers or prying eyes, awaiting further instruction from the CO.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 98 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 00:41
Re: Cleaning Up

Once the sweeps where completed and security was in place Craig began the task of helping with the search of the bodies. Helmets, webbing and boots it all had value either in trade or for the village.

Once everything of value was in the house Tom began to ask where Apel was. On learning of him “doing a runner” Craig shakes his head masking his reaction.

“He wasn't much in a fire fight but I thought we had gotten over that. I'm sorry he did just want to keep going, but when we saw the boat. I suppose coming back was just two much.”

Turning to the Captain he says;

“You may want to radio back to the village he may just turn up back there, it's more likely he will be well gone though.”

He then goes about getting himself ready to move when the order is given.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 807 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 00:58
Re: Cleaning Up
Cap'n Rae:
Minh, Craig, and Tucker clear the rest of the kill zone. A couple of direly wounded horses loll about in the muck and mud. A couple of others are just barely clinging to life. Steam rises out of their many fresh wounds. Minh, Craig, and Tucker also find two badly wounded men, besides the one Minh's just gut-shot. Both are pretty far gone, each barely conscious and covered in a messy paste of blood and mud. It's hard to determine where and to what extent they are wounded. About 50m further north is a man trying to crawl away. This is made particularly difficult by the fact that he's missing his left arm from just above the elbow. Blood drips from the huge, open wound.

The last of the surviving horsemen have disappeared into the treeline to the north.

Next Moves?

Tucker walks around and surveys the ambush carnage and then looks to Minh and Sutherland, "I'm no fuckin' expert here but, we gotta put these animals down.  You two take care of the four-legged ones and I'll take care of the two-legged ones that are already too far gone like these two and the one-armed bandit out there.  Unless someone has a problem with that?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #220):

"Shit!"

Dawid dropped his entrenching tool, exhausted but also sickened. Leaving the PKM in it's cover, he climbed out of the MG position.

Drawing his pistol, he chambered a round and walked towards the wounded horses, intending to to put them out of their misery. Bayer had the unwounded horse secure, there was little to lose by shooting the others.

It was one of the few acts of mercy that could be performed in this war, not the least because the meat could be salvaged.

He noted the wounded man. Once he had finished off the horses he would go over to him. At that time he would decide if he was going to bind his wounds or show him the same mercy he'd shown the horses. If the man was one of the Baron's men, or even just a bandit, it was more than he deserved.

Tucker turns as he leaves Minh & Sutherland to take care of the near dead and dying men they had just ambushed and dealt them a bad hand. Robert draws out his Browning High-Power pistol from his MOLLE vest and slides the safety off when he sees Dawid moving over towards the kill zone with his pistol out.  "YO!  Get back to your position!  We got this out here Dawid.  We don't need your help right now so thank you, no!"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1174 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 01:10
Re: Cleaning Up
After securing the horse and listening to the various reports that were relayed to him by mouth or radio, Bayer returned to the main house. Leaving the team to go about their tasks, he nodded for Sutherland to follow him. Digging out his map, he unfolds it on the kitchen table and places his compass on top. "We're to leave tonight. You know the area. I want to head west towards the city. Someplace unoccupied but intact enough for shelter. Suggestions? Don't need to be specific, a neighborhood or other village will do."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:12, Wed 07 Apr 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 231 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 02:01
Re: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Mariusz Tokarski:
"It's no problem, Mr. Drew," Mariusz said smiling, "it's good exercise and I now know something more about Western guns. That's always good."

As he trotted to check for the ammo he heard Dawid's call and replied, "I'm on it Dawid."

He quickly found Coulter's blood spattered gear and located the ammunition belts. At the same time he stripped of several rounds of AK-74 ammunition and topped up his ready magazine.

He returned to Drew and said, "Here's the ammo," he paused for a moment and brought out his tobacco tin, "do you smoke? I only have roll ups made of old butts, but these three are made of cigar stubs, I haven't tried them yet so I don't know what they're like, these four are from Western butts. Would you like one?"


  "Thanks kid, but I still got a couple left I took off them prisoners last week."  As he pats his pocket.

  "Its too late ta be smokin though.  A sniper can zero in on you.  That glow can go a long ways.  We best not smoke tonight, at least not unless we go inside...then I'll give you one of mine."  As Drew flashes a smile at the eager youth.

Sgt Drew
M240
Talking to Mar and advising the youth about the dangerous of smoking
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 70 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 03:23
They put horses to the sword, don't they?
Settled in and relatively dry and comfortable, Thor searched his arc, all the while pulling in dried up peices of vegetation and whatever else was at hand to conceal his position.

"Thunderer still position." he replied to Bragi's transmission, wondering why he'd broken radio silence when he already knew Thor was set up.
"Still quiet. Out."

The screaming of horses at his back was a little annoying, but his spirits were bouyed at the prospect of fresh horsemeat on the menu for the next few days. He just hoped the butchers had the sense to use knives, axes and swords rather than their deafeningly loud magic. The echos of the earlier storm had died away - they didn't need to rekindle it with further unnecessary noise informing any within earshot of their continued presence.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 99 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 09:38
Re: Cleaning Up
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #227):

Craig turns towards Tucker and with a nod and adds; “Better to get it over with, but maybe a little more quietly.”

He then un-holsters his own Browning HP and puts the silencer on the barrel. He offers the butt of the weapon to Tucker.

If he does not take it Craig will walk over to the wounded and puts a bullet in the base of the skull of every man. He then walks over to each of the horses and does the same thing.

He then re-holsters the pistol and continues to strip the dead.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 689 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 10:11
Re: Cleaning Up
"That sounds good," Mariusz said smiling back, "and thanks for the advice about smoking, I knew it was bad for your health but not the lead poisoning type."

He noted Dawid walking out to the injured animals, "The MG3 is not manned, I'll head there and man it. If you need anything, give me a shout, that's what I'm here for, the American in my partisan unit called me Gofer, it was always "gofer this, gofer that". See you later."

Mariusz headed over to the improvised machinegun pit and manned the MG3 just in case.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1720 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 10:30
Re: Cleaning Up
In reply to Craig Sutherland (msg #231):

Dawid stopped at Sutherland began to finish off the wounded with he suppressed pistol.

"Thank you, my friend. I was just about to do that."

He walked back to where the PKM was stationed, noticing Mariusz had moved over to cover the weapon. "Thank you, friend. It was foolish of me to run off like that and leave the gun un-manned. You are smart and brave."

He sighed, and began digging again.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 690 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 10:55
Re: Cleaning Up
"Not a problem," Mariusz said, "we work as a team, that's why we're alive."

He started digging with Dawid, "I've been talking to Drew, he's good at grumbling but has a good heart. I like him."

He looked up as Jan was moving out to loot the dead, "Jan, the horses, tounges and livers first, we can eat them raw now, then hack out the haunches, that'll make good stew. If you have time you can take steaks from the lower ribs."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 808 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 22:02
Re: Cleaning Up
Craig Sutherland:
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #227):

Craig turns towards Tucker and with a nod and adds; “Better to get it over with, but maybe a little more quietly.”

He then un-holsters his own Browning HP and puts the silencer on the barrel. He offers the butt of the weapon to Tucker.

If he does not take it Craig will walk over to the wounded and puts a bullet in the base of the skull of every man. He then walks over to each of the horses and does the same thing.

He then re-holsters the pistol and continues to strip the dead.

Tucker will holster his own Browning and take the silenced one from Sutherland.  "Makes sense.  Don't have one of my own and was going to do it the old-fashioned way, just a little dumber."  Tucker takes the pistol and dispatches all of the horses and then the men (unless told otherwise) to include the one-armed guy crawling away.  Tucker gives the pistol back to Suthrland, safety on and butt end to Craig.
Jan Cerny
 player, 395 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 22:44
Re: Cleaning Up
Mariusz Tokarski:
He looked up as Jan was moving out to loot the dead, "Jan, the horses, tounges and livers first, we can eat them raw now, then hack out the haunches, that'll make good stew. If you have time you can take steaks from the lower ribs."


Jan nodded at Mariusz' request and replied in Polish.  "I'm collecting gear and weapons first but I'll swap with you and Dawid shortly so that you can get to work on the horses.  You'll do a better job of butchering them than I will."

He then continued with gathering weapons and equipment and organising it all in the farmhouse.  While he was searching the bodies he also paid attention to anything that looked like it might have an Intel value.  Anything that looked like written orders, radio frequencies or a map was passed immediately to Konrad for his translation and assessment.  Jan was conscious that he needed to start leaning some Russian!

When he had finished he made a quick detour to where he had fired from during the ambush, intending on finding the four 5.56mmN spent cartridges he'd left there as well as searching for any 5.45mmS Minh may have left behind.  The empty shell case from the 40mm HE grenade he'd fired was still in his M203 so he didn't have to worry about that for the present.

That chore completed Jan then headed over to Mariusz and Dawid's position, intending on relieving them so that they could get on with butchering the horses.  Some fresh meat was going to go down well, assuming that they were going to have a chance to enjoy eating it!
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1721 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 8 Apr 2010
at 04:50
Re: Cleaning Up
In reply to Jan Cerny (msg #236):

Dawid nodded when Jan went out to collect weapons and gear. It looked like there was more than one person could carry easily. When Jan started heading back he got Mariusz and they passed him.

"Jan, go get whatever help you need to collect that stuff. We need to get going very, very soon!"


When they got out there, he proceeded to begin butchering one of the horses with ruthless efficiency, not doing as thorough a job as normal because the meat wouldn't have to keep long. Also, it was cool and it would keep well at any rate.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 691 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 8 Apr 2010
at 12:38
Re: Cleaning Up
As Mariusz assisted with butchering, fetching and carrying he found a moment to speak with Bayer, "Sir," he began, "I'm not sure if you've decided what we're doing next, but I'd suggest either heading for the defectors or running for the Vistula. We've been located so our covert mission is busted, we either need to head for a big value group like a lot of allies or get out. Also, Sir, should we show the code we got from Milk to the new guy, he might know something about them."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1176 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 8 Apr 2010
at 14:07
Re: Cleaning Up
Mariusz Tokarski:
As Mariusz assisted with butchering, fetching and carrying he found a moment to speak with Bayer, "Sir," he began, "I'm not sure if you've decided what we're doing next, but I'd suggest either heading for the defectors or running for the Vistula."


While waiting for Sutherland to finish up clearing the kill zone, Bayer replies, "Ja. Waiting for Lieutenant Sutherland to see if he can add any more first hand information about the area before plotting any movement. I am anticipating heading west. Closer to the river, but mostly to get closer to the city. Your suggestion of going to the defectors though isn't something to be dismissed."

Then on that note, he calls for Warren to come as well, and spill whatever knowledge he had of the land and key locations.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1733 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 8 Apr 2010
at 23:15
The Spoils

Saturday, October 21st, 2000
1845 hrs.
37F
Thick overcast; light rain
Strong breeze from the N
Approximately 5km north of Minsk Mazowiekie, Poland



Between the two of them, Jan and Craig collect quite an impressive pile of weapons and ammunition, piling it in the front room of the farmhouse. The marauder cavalry unit was apparently quite fond of pistols, especially those firing 9mm P ammunition. Aside from 21 undamaged AK-74 variants (including one with an underslung BG-15 w/ one 40mm grenade and one RPK) and 65 full magazines for them all, Jan and Craig recover one Uzi SMG, one MAC-10 SMG, one double-barrelled, sawed-off, 12-gauge shotgun (a-la Mad Max), two M92Fs, two Browning HPs, one Glock 17, one Walther P-38, one CZ75, one M1911A1, one Stechkin (w/ buttstock attached), two Makarovs, and one Tokarev. Each pistol/SMG averages about two full magazines of ammunition; the shotgun has 6 shells full of small game shot. Ten fragmentation hand grenades, three colored smoke grenades, and one RPG-22 are also recovered.

In addition to the firearms and explosives, Jan and Craig collect several daggers, a machete-type hacking sword, a Russian cavalry sabre, and a club resembling a baseball bat partially wrapped with barbed wire.

Hiding such a treasure trove will require time, effort, and light. The root cellar is a bit obvious as far as hiding places go. There are a couple of empty 50 gallon drums near the tractor shed but those seem pretty obvious as well. There's only one proper shovel in the ransacked tool shed. The firearms are all wet and corrosion will be an issue if they are stored for any length of time.

Aside from the weapons, the group recovers one Soviet issue handy-talkie radio which does not seem to be working any more.

Most of the above is spattered (if not coated) in mud and/or some gore.

(OOC: Let me know if there are any specific items of enemy clothing or LBE that you'd like and I'll let you know if it is available and in what condition.)

While Jan and Craig are collecting the captured weapons and ammo, Tucker deliberately administers a coup-de-gras to the badly wounded horses and men. Only one of the men is in any shape to beg for his life. By the time Tucker reaches him, the one-armed man has collapsed, unconscious from shock and/or blood loss. One of the horses requires three shots to the head before it expires. Whether Tucker's act is one of mercy or its antithesis seems rather moot under the circumstances. (Craig c/o Tucker -9 pistol rounds)

Meanwhile, Dawid and Mariusz expertly butcher one of the dead horses, deftly cutting away several kilograms of steaming fresh meat.

Stationed at opposite corners of the farm, Thor and Dieter see nothing of note. The constant rain and darkening sky make it hard to see further than a few hundred meters in any direction.

Everyone is cold and wet. It's growing darker by the minute. Most of you are nearly soaked through. You realize that the odd clicking sound you've been hearing for the last quarter of an hour is your teeth chattering.

You've lost half of your cargo carrying capacity and over a dozen kilos of travelling rations. In their place, you've gained hundreds of kilograms worth of captured weaponry, over a dozen kilos of very rare horsemeat, and one rather shell-shocked steed.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:48, Fri 09 Apr 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 233 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 03:05
Re: The Spoils

  Drew covers the men working checking the wounded and dead and recovering meat and weapons.

  He pulls his poncho closer to keep the rain off him so at least he isn't both cold and wet any more than he is.

  Drew is pondering what would be a good idea to do next.


Sgt Drew
M240
Watching, waiting and covering his teammates
Dieter Brandt
 player, 86 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 07:39
Re: The Spoils
Dieter pulled his coat closer around him, trying to ignore the cold. He glanced over at the team salvaging kit from the bodies. He would like to salvage a pistol to add to his armoury, but didn't have the capacity. He liked the PSG-1 he had been issued with, but it was damn heavy. If he could find an alternative sniper rifle then he would definitely take it.

He turned his attention back to the perimeter, trying to make out potential threats in the gloom. Visibility was reducing quickly, and they were an obvious target. He hoped the order to move out would come soon. He wanted to get into the woods and set up camp as soon as possible. Waiting here was just inviting more trouble, and Dieter was certain that facing a larger force who knew they were there would only end one way. Better to disappear now and stay alive than get killed here.

Under his breath he muttered, "hurry up..."
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 74 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 14:00
Re: The Spoils
Snuggled in under the eaves, Thor was relatively dry and comfortable - at least he wasn't laying in a frozen mud puddle anyway.
Still watching into the gathering gloom, he contemplated connecting Megingjord to Járngreipr atop Mjollnir but decided to wait for now. It's magic was limited and it was not yet fully dark enough to warrant drawing upon it's power. Instead he used the powerful Járngreipr alone to scan the empty and snow dusted fields, hoping that if they were to move on, they'd be doing it very soon...

As he waited he retrieved a handful of shrivelled nuts and fruits he'd scrounged a few days earlier, nibbling slowly on them to keep his stomach from growling too much. Chances were strong they'd have no fire that night, not hot food to fill their bellies.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1725 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 16:05
Re: The Spoils
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #240):

Unless instructions came to stop, Dawid started on butchering a second horse. It would have been more comfortable to work on the carcass indoors at the farm, but he was used to privation.

"Mariusz, how are you doing? Why don't you take a break."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 694 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 16:12
Re: The Spoils
"I'm fine," Mariusz replied, "the blood's keeping my hands warm. After this, if the Captain wants us to move on, we'll need to pack the weapons away."

"As for hiding the kit we can't carry, why don't we bury it in the woods?" he asked, "It would be away from the farm and not immediately obvious."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1726 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 16:26
Re: The Spoils
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #245):

Dawid nodded, sipping some water. Even in the rain, butchering was tiring work and it was important to keep hydrated. He offered the canteen to Mariusz.

"Good idea. I'll pass that along now when I take the meat back. We're mostly ready to go, but you can go back and collect our stuff so it's easy to get. Leave the PKM where it is for now, I'll take it when we go. Also, I wish we could salvage the saddles, bridles and tack, but we have to be realistic. At least we can make some kind of sledge or travois out of straps and so on."

He trudged back with the meat wrapped in a saddle blanket. Finding Bayer he said, "Kapitan, Mariusz suggests we hide what weapons and gear we can't carry far in the woods, by burial. I think it's a good idea. Want me to continue butchering? We're replaced the food we lost, more or less."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1177 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 16:58
Re: The Spoils
Bayer looks up from his map where he was questioning Warren and Sutherland. "Yes Dawid. Be quickly though. We'll be moving shortly."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1727 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 17:07
Re: The Spoils
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #247):

"Very well, sir." Leaving the first load of meat, he trudged back to the horses and continued his task.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 30 posts
 American
 Unknown
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 20:34
Re: The Spoils
Jeff carefully writes down everything the prisoner has to say in the notepad he retreived from his pack.  After the prisoner finishes, Warren continues to write for another minute.  He then looks up and asks a few more questions in Russian "Товарищ у меня несколько вопросов, оставшихся, то я принесу ваш что-то для своей боли, и оставить вас в комфорте.

Во-первых, барон может направить силы на этой ферме, в ответ на нашу засаду?

Во-вторых, как часто перемещать барон о городе? Где же он остановится? Ли он посетить его замок часто? Какую безопасность он двигаться с? Ли он уйти из города?

В-третьих, то, что моральный дух бойцов под его контроля? А как же моральный дух жителей Варшавы? Существует разделение предательской русских под командованием американцев, подходит к Варшаве. Будет солдат барона легко убедить присоединиться к ним?

Наконец, два Советов принесли в город на допрос. Где они проходят? Какие безопасности присутствует в их местонахождения. Кроме того, где же хранить его барон боеприпасов и оружия?

Ответ на эти вопросы товарищ, и вы будете хорошо заботиться."
and writes down everything the man says again.  Satisfied , he turns to Minh "further questioning is all you, unless you don't know Russian. I am going to debrief the Hauptmann, but I will be back shortly.. Jeff steps out of the building, and moves to the farmhouse to find Bayer. He arrives just as Dawid updates Konrad on the plan for the weapons.  He waits until the Pole has walked away before speaking, quietly at first  "Anyway, I have finished debriefing the Prisoner. Here is a summary of what I learned." Jeff hands Bayer his notepad, which is opened to the interrogation report.  Without being intrusive, Ghost watches carefully, making sure that the Captain does not delve into the notepad further than the interrogation report.  When Bayer finishes, Jeff continues,  "if you have nothing further of me, I have two requests. First, if we move into Warsaw, that we locate and rescue my remaining two scouts. They are excellent soldiers, some of the best I've seen. They also know some sensitive information. Secondly, I need a long range radio to contact my superior so that I may inform him of my status, as well as your intentions."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:26, Sat 10 Apr 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 404 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 20:50
Re: The Spoils
After helping Craig to strip all the weapons and useful equipment off the enemy dead, and then quickly cataloguing it, Jan decided to take a few things himself.  He took the RPG-22 and several smoke and frag grenades and added them to his kit (*see the OOC note below).  Following that he then put the broken Soviet radio in one of the packs by the remaining bike, in the hope that it could be repaired or used for spare parts.  He suspected that he was going to be carrying one of those packs shortly now that Apel had apparently deserted them.

Jan also removed the one 40mmS HE shell they had found from the BG-15 and added it to the shells they had recovered from Jared’s corpse.  That was a weapon they couldn’t afford to leave behind, though there was a lot that would be!

He then went to find Konrad with a suggestion.  “We’re obviously going to have to hide some of these firearms.  Do you want me to remove the firing pins first and bring those with us?”

Assuming that Konrad agreed that it was a good idea Jan dug his weapon cleaning kit out of his webbing and went off to collect the firing pin of any weapon that wasn’t being brought along with them.


*OOC – If someone else wants a smoke grenade then please say and I’ll share them out but if no-one wants any of them then Jan will take all three as well as two frag grenades.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1736 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 23:22
Re: The Spoils

The remainder of the prisoner interrogation is slow going. The injured prisoner is in so much pain that he's having a hard time verbally stringing together coherent thoughts. He does, however, answer the rest of Warren's questions. In his current state, the prisoner is probably incapable of making anything up. There is the possibility, however, that he's leaving certain things out.

The Baron allegedly resides in relative splendor in the former Egyptian embassy. "Special" prisoners are kept in a buidling next door (or across the street) from the his embassy residence. The Baron's "castle" (currently under construction) is located only a few kilometers to the northwest of the embassy. Czarny moves freely around east bank Warsaw with a small, elite, hand-picked escort of about 10 men, including a personal bodyguard made up of 4 black (of African descent) soldiers that he calls his Panthers. He rarely crosses the river to the more heavily damaged west bank and has not left the city since the onset of winter weather.

The prisoner doesn't presume to know what the Baron will do but believes that he probably won't be sending any more significant forces out of the city. The recent loss of a powerful convoy to the "Lublin-backed Crusader army", as well as the loss of his navy, seem to have factored into the decision to take a more defensive posture.

According to the prisoner, the morale of the Black Legion is uneven. There are rumors among the men of successful desertions. Several attempted deserters and men suspected of sedition or defeatist rhetoric have been tortured and killed in the last week or so. There has been talk of disarming the company made up of former NATO troops and casting them out of the city (or even killing them). If presented with convincing proof, some of the men would probably jump at the chance to join another, stronger warband. Most of the men, however, are loyal to the Baron and would be unwilling to give up the relatively comfortable lifestyle that they enjoy in Praga.

The civilians in Warsaw probably don't know as much about recent developments in the bigger picture as the Baron's fighters and he thinks that, even if they did, the majority of civilians are too terrified of the Baron to do anything about it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:51, Sat 10 Apr 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 101 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 10 Apr 2010
at 00:42
Re: The Spoils
Having moved all the weapons into the shelter of the foyer of the farm house Craig collects the mac-10 and the two browning pistols after asking Tucker;

”Do you want a couple of the magazines from these?”

He puts them in one of his empty ammo pouches and put the sub-machine gun in the top of his pack.

Seeing the Captain gesturing for him Craig moves over to his position;
”Sorry got a bit way laid.”.

Craig scans the map listening to Warrens report, after suggesting another abandoned farm further towards the city. He then gives a detailed tally of the recovered equipment.

”Sir, I do agree that the baron is unlikely to send additional men tonight maybe a small scouting party to get some eyes on us, but nothing more. Though saying that I am ready to move. Finally the additional arms maybe a good sweetener to the town we past earlier.”
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 810 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 10 Apr 2010
at 22:53
Re: The Spoils
Craig Sutherland:
Having moved all the weapons into the shelter of the foyer of the farm house Craig collects the mac-10 and the two browning pistols after asking Tucker;

”Do you want a couple of the magazines from these?”

He puts them in one of his empty ammo pouches and put the sub-machine gun in the top of his pack.

Seeing the Captain gesturing for him Craig moves over to his position;
”Sorry got a bit way laid.”.

Craig scans the map listening to Warrens report, after suggesting another abandoned farm further towards the city. He then gives a detailed tally of the recovered equipment.

”Sir, I do agree that the baron is unlikely to send additional men tonight maybe a small scouting party to get some eyes on us, but nothing more. Though saying that I am ready to move. Finally the additional arms maybe a good sweetener to the town we past earlier.”

Tucker puts out his hand towards Sutherland as he offers him the magazines.  "Can never have too many of them Craig.  You want one too or did you take some already?  I'm happy to share since I used most of your rounds for the euthanasia experiment back there. 
Craig Sutherland
 player, 102 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 10 Apr 2010
at 23:35
Re: The Spoils
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Tucker puts out his hand towards Sutherland as he offers him the magazines.  "Can never have too many of them Craig.  You want one too or did you take some already?  I'm happy to share since I used most of your rounds for the euthanasia experiment back there. 

"No I got a couple off them as I was collecting them. Going to be pretty cold tonight, snows coming."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 812 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 04:41
Re: The Spoils
Craig Sutherland:
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Tucker puts out his hand towards Sutherland as he offers him the magazines.  "Can never have too many of them Craig.  You want one too or did you take some already?  I'm happy to share since I used most of your rounds for the euthanasia experiment back there. 

"No I got a couple off them as I was collecting them. Going to be pretty cold tonight, snows coming."

Tucker tucks the HP mags into his rucksack as he looks to Sutherland, "Cool, thanks.  Yeah, looks like we're going to get some white stuff very soon!"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1729 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 06:27
Re: The Spoils
As he butchers the second horse, he instructed Mariusz to scavenge additional articles.

"Look for anything that was missed in the first go-round. We are also going to need fodder for the horse, as well as blankets."
Jan Cerny
 player, 406 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 07:36
Re: The Spoils
Jan continued with his task of removing firing pins from any captured weapon that wasn't being taken with them, getting into a rhythm with his task as he did so.  It reminded him of a time long ago before the war started when he had been part of a UN force somewhere in Africa and they had been doing something very similar, disarming local tribesmen following some kind of peace treaty that hadn't lasted for two months after the bulk of the UN forces had withdrawn.

Where the hell had that been in Africa?  He couldn't remember now!

Seeing other people coming and going he called out to someone as they walked past him, "Check the bodies for other things of value like cigarettes.  Particularly cigarettes!  Even if they're foul Russian ones."

He then returned to his task at hand, his attention never wavering, even though he could easily have smoked while he worked.  The great nicotine gods reared their ugly heads again but Jan fought them back, deciding to save what cigarettes he had for another time!
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1178 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 08:59
Re: The Spoils
Jan Cerny:
He then went to find Konrad with a suggestion.  “We’re obviously going to have to hide some of these firearms.  Do you want me to remove the firing pins first and bring those with us?”


Hunkered over the map, Bayer nods in agreement, "Ah huh. Hide and disable them." Then before Jan leaves he calls after him, "I can take one of the smoke off of you."

Jeff D. Warren:
"Anyway, I have finished debriefing the Prisoner. Here is a summary of what I learned." Jeff hands Bayer his notepad, which is opened to the interrogation report. When Bayer finishes, Jeff continues,  "if you have nothing further of me, I have two requests. First, if we move into Warsaw, that we locate and rescue my remaining two scouts. They are excellent soldiers, some of the best I've seen. They also know some sensitive information. Secondly, I need a long range radio to contact my superior so that I may inform him of my status, as well as your intentions."


After reviewing it, Bayer answers, "Recovering friendly personnel is always an option. But I can't make any promises yet as to a rescue. Not yet, and not if its going to be a suicide mission for my men." He then adds, "I have a radio yes. I'll have to speak to later about our intentions, but I support your offer of assistance from the deserters."

Craig Sutherland:
Seeing the Captain gesturing for him Craig moves over to his position; ”Sorry got a bit way laid.”.

Craig scans the map listening to Warrens report, after suggesting another abandoned farm further towards the city. He then gives a detailed tally of the recovered equipment.

”Sir, I do agree that the baron is unlikely to send additional men tonight maybe a small scouting party to get some eyes on us, but nothing more. Though saying that I am ready to move. Finally the additional arms maybe a good sweetener to the town we past earlier.”


"Hmmm... well. We will depart here anyways. I don't want them to have any idea at all as to where we could be." Bayer says. Tapping the map, he says mostly to himself, "We are 35km from the city center. This is just too far."

When the butchering and concealment of the captured weapons was done, Bayer assembles the group. "We're going to move west. To put some distance between the enemy's last known position they have of us and to get within a realistic distance of our mission objective. Leaving now also enables our move to be done under darkness."

"Eight kilometers from here... northwest. There is the start of a forest that extends most of the way into the city. We ought to be able to move along the southern edge, able to withdraw into it if we need, camp at any time, and move under partial cover instead out out in the open like we've been doing."

"I am not supportive of an ambush at this time. Hoping to whittle away at the Baron's forces, while continuing to expose our whereabouts and strength to him isn't helping the bigger picture or the long term goal. Especially not out here in generally open ground. Our stated mission here, primarily strengthening ourselves by building allies is what will enable us to win."

"So. After we have closed some distance between us and the city, we will attempt to make contact with Warren's allies. As well, we will continue pursue any other options at strengthening ourselves against the Baron or gathering information... either by recces, contacting locals, or a snatch patrol against isolated sentries or something."

"Dawid... I don't care what happens to either the bike or the horse. Figure something out that works. We're leaving in a few minutes."


OOC - Basically option A/B
Dieter Brandt
 player, 88 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 09:41
Re: The Spoils
Dieter watched as the skies got darker, and the snowflakes started to form. He continued to scan for signs of activity.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1731 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 10:01
Re: The Spoils
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #258):

After cleaning up, Dawid joined the O-group. He nodded at Bayer's specific instructions.

"Yes Kapitan. The horse and bike are ready. We can take them either way we go."

"Also, let's do a some reorganising to take into account our... losses. There will be two 4-person elements, each with a grenade launcher, a GPMG and an RPG gunner. Plus the 2 sharpshooters, of course. Thor, you are under Dieter's command."

"Mister Warren, you're with Dieter and under his command."


He transferred Jared's NVGs to Mariusz and the spare 7.62mm NATO linked to Tuck, who would become Drew's new assistant gunner. Minh would carry the long-range radio for Konrad.

In preparation for the move, Dawid has Jan unload the bike most of the way and load the horse.

"Jan, look for a cart or wagon. This is a farm, they must have one around here!"

This message was last edited by the player at 10:23, Sun 11 Apr 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 408 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 10:05
Re: The Spoils
Jan passed across a smoke grenade to Konrad and nodded at his plan.  There was a danger of the weather turning bad enough while they travelled and that they would have to find whatever shelter they could but if that was the case then it was probable that the enemy would be in the same position as they were.

Jan finished removing the last of the firing pins and made his way towards their improvised store room.

"Someone needs to get on with hiding all these weapons and gear," he said to Craig along the way.  "You know this farm best so why don't you, Tuck and Minh get on with that while I'm sorting out the loads?"

Irrespective of whether they followed his suggestion or not Jan then started re-organising the backpacks to split between the one remaining bike and the horse.  Once he'd finished he then approached Dawid with the load for the horse.

"I know nothing about horses so it's best if you attach this lot to its saddle."

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Jan, look for a cart or wagon. This is a farm, they must have one around here!"


"I have no idea how to hitch one up but I'll have a look!"
Jan replied to Dawid.

Jan then made a quick circuit of the barns around the farm, looking for any kind of cart of wagon.  After that Jan headed back to the front of the farm and started checking the enemy corpses for cigarettes and any luxuries like chocolate or alcohol.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:58, Sun 11 Apr 2010.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1179 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 10:55
Re: The Spoils
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Yes Kapitan. The horse and bike are ready. We can take them either way we go."


"Very well." Bayer replies.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Also, let's do a some reorganizing to take into account our... losses. There will be two 4-person elements, each with a grenade launcher, a GPMG and an RPG gunner. Plus the 2 sharpshooters, of course."


Again Bayer nods his head, "Hmm. Ja, acceptable." He then says aloud, "Ten minutes notice to move. Ruck up."

This message was last edited by the player at 10:56, Sun 11 Apr 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 77 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 14:02
Re: The Spoils
Out on watch Thor had virtually no idea of the activities and discussions behind him and inside the various buildings. Stiffling a yawn he continued with the task at hand - staying awake and watching for trouble...
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1735 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 15:30
Re: The Spoils
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #262):

Tired, Dawid thought for a second, realising he forgot some things. "Kapitan, Mihn will carry the long-range radio instead of Arpel. I don't know where to stick mister Warren, so let's put him with the sharpshooters, under Dieter's command. I don't know who will take the bike, we'll put it with Mariusz and you can handle the horse."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1741 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 15:53
Re: The Spoils

Saturday, October 21st, 2000
2300 hrs.
33F
Thick overcast; light snow
Moderate breeze from the N
Approximately 30km east of Warsaw, Poland



You spend about another 30 minutes at the farm, making hurried preparations for departure. Working by himself, Jan is still able to remove most of the firing pins of the weapons that you are leaving behind. The guns are wrapped in captured ponchos and taken to the empty stable where they are hastily covered in loose hay and horse manure. It's not the best of hiding places, but with the limited time that you have to complete the task, it'll have to do. You find a small farm cart but it is missing a wheel. A brief search does not locate it.

The team's cargo is reorganized and redistributed between the remaining bicycle and the captured horse. The poor beast bears its new burden awkwardly but with great patience. He is well supplied with fodder, tack, and blankets from his fallen equine comrades.

Warren relieves Minh on prisoner watch. He offers the man a cigarrete. The man gratefully inhales a few lungfuls of nicotine-laced tobacco smoke, becoming visibly more relaxed with every puff. As the cigarrette burns down to a glowing butt, Warren stabs the prisoner in the side of the neck and then pulls up on the blade, laying open the helpless man's neck. A couple of pumps of arterial spray gush blood out over Warren's hand and clothing. The man thrashes for a bit as his lifesblood quickly drains from the horrific wound. In a few seconds, he is dead. Warren goes to one of the open-topped 55 gallon drums and rinses the blood from his knife and clothes with ice-cold water. When he rejoins the others, it's as if nothing unusual has happened.

You repack your gear in order to more comfortably carry any additional personal equipment taken from the spoils of the battle. Nevertheless, you are heavily laden. On your way down the lane connecting the farm to the nearest road, you walk through the kill zone of your ambush, passing through nearly a score of dead men and many of their horses. Even with the chilly breeze and nearly freezing rain, the smell of blood is almost overwhelming.

You walk northwest along the narrow, two-lane road that connects the farm and a couple of others like it to a small farming community that lies in the shadow of a small but thick wood. The hamlet appears abandoned. You pass through the empty settlement and follow the road through the wood. At some point, the light rain changes to snow. Blessedly, it does not immediately accumulate, nor does the water on the road freeze solide immediately. It is almost imperceptibly warmer beneath the barren trees. When you emerge again into the open, it seems like the temperature drops by at least a few degrees.

You continue to slog ahead, relying on those with NVGs for guidance in the darkness of the moonless night. Muscles are strained and nerves are stretched taut. You half expect to see the headlamps of armored vehiclse appear up ahead at any moment. The water on the road has begun to turn to ice, making each step more precarious. A thin layer of snow begins to blanket the ground.

After almost three hours of hard marching, you reach the 637. The highway runs almost due west from where you now stand to Warsaw. As the better of your maps indicated, the highway runs either through or along a heavily wooded area, providing a quick egress from the road into cover and concealment. There is another farming village here, under the eastern eaves of the long, thin strip of forest that runs west into Warsaw. Those homes still standing (some have been burned down) appear to have been abandoned. Craig explains that the inhabitants were forced marched to Warsaw to provide agricultural workers for the Baron's urban "farms". This area is more productive, but in Warsaw, the Baron can keep a tighter rein on them.

You are exhausted- nearly dead on your feet- and badly in need of food and sleep. You've been up since before dawn, marched, fought, and marched again without much in the way of rest or repast. In addition to being footsore and fatigued, you are very cold and very wet. Although the woods here offer less than adequate shelter from the cold and the snow, they do provide you with shelter from prying eyes. You also have your pick of abandoned structures in which to make camp. They offer much better shelter but are a bit more obvious, as far as hiding places go.

Tucker and Drew have been deprived of the better part of their night vision, being as the batteries for each of their NVGs have just died.


Next Moves?

Updated Route Map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...1965,0.2635&z=13

OOC: In your next IC post, please add an orange tag including any and all weapons, ammo, and/or equipment you are adding to your personal alotment. Please post only the added gear in this tag. Please edit your char-sheets accordingly, as well. If anything is being added to the party pool, please let me know so that I can add it in the Weapons Locker. Thanks.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:58, Sun 11 Apr 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 236 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 20:22
Re: The Spoils

  Drew has gone numb from the cold and fatigue.  He has switched to autopilot where he is just reacting to what is going on around him.  This is a way of life he has lived for most of his life.  They started with the training in infantryschool almost twenty years ago.  Then the tour in the grunts.  As an ambulance driver the twenty four hour shifts were also brutal.  But none of them compared to the way of life he had lived since "The Bombs" fell.  Life was good aboard the ships.  They were warm, they had beds and food.  There was always terror, but it was different.  Walking through the countryside, tired, cold and hungry.  With just what you can carry to sustain you and no support.  Ah, yes, with alot of angry people looking for you, yes this was different.

  As they saw the area that was proposed to be their site for the night another auto mechanism click on in Drews head.  His mind raced with details of what to so when they made the site.  Security, he would find a place to cover them as the others went to work.  His eyes darted looking for points that gave a command of the terrain or field of view.  He had removed his night vision goggles earlier as they began to fade.  Just his luck.

  Drews mind also went to comforts.  They needed to find a low point to stay out of the wind.  A poncho shelter with tree limbs would cover them and keep the snow off.  Bark and leaves and twigs caught in the branches and dead branches would be enough to fuel the stoves.  Some broth with the horse meat and some of those rations the villagers gave them would help stay warm and keep up their resistance from getting sick.  Drew wondered about "Army" he remembered calling him before his name, Tucker, who was now humping his spare ammo.  "I hope he don't snore, I hate hootching with someone who snores."

  Drew becomes anxious.  He wants to be in a covered postion, out of view as well as the weather.

"Come on,  come on people." he whispers under his breath.  He knows all to well when people are like they are now, they make mistakes.

  He again whispers as he thinks outloud,

"Make sure prep camp."  as he goes over the checklist in his head.

Sgt Drew
M240 w/80 rounds
Moving into their new site


New Weapons and Gear:
Colt 1911A1 w/ 2X7 magazines and shoulder holster <now worn>
Sawnoff Shotgun w/ 6 rounds in pack at the moment
Balistic Knife, on belt
2 waterbottles, in pack
Small pouch for shotgunshells in pack
Satchell or breadbag in pack
Ammo Pouch, filled with spare 100 round belt slung on shoulder
metal bowl and spoon/messkit in pack
Woolblanket+poncho or captured bedroll <in pack>
Boots, used wear value 7, in pack
Polish Cigarettes 2 packs <1 in blouse pocket, 1 in coat pocket>
Russian Cigarette Lighter, blouse pocket
German Watch, in pack
German Army 4 blade pocket knife, trouser pocket

Jan Cerny
 player, 416 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 22:06
Re: The Spoils
Jan was cold, wet and in a foul mood.  He'd spent a lot of his military career in North Africa and the Mediterranean and, though it got cold at night in some of the places he had been stationed, Poland was proving to be a different kind of cold!  Cold he could handle, cold and wet just pissed him off!

Overhearing Craig's comments about how the nearby village was deserted after the Baron had moved the inhabitants into Warsaw, Jan remembered something he'd noticed on the maps earlier on in the night when they had been navigating their way here.

"Konrad, the map showed some buildings in the forest.  Let's try and find one of those to make camp in!  I think that we can risk it for tonight as the weather is so bad!"

He glanced around at the pale green world though his night vision goggles.

"Either that or we use one of these buildings on the edge of the village.  Either way we need to be out of the elements."


OOC - Equipment added after the ambush:
RPG-22
2x Smoke Grenades
2x Frag Grenades

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 79 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 04:05
Re: The Spoils
Thor was cheerful.

Thor was happy.

Thor was warm if a little wet under his layers of clothing and hides.

Thor was also a little less hungry than most as he'd managed to down a few handfuls of fruits and nuts around dusk. A hot meal of rabbit and horsemeat stew would still be welcomed though, followed by many hours sleep under a solid roof.

"Where Thor go?" he asked nobody in particular, wanting to drop his heavy pack as soon as possible.

Either the MAC-10 + 2 mags or
8x 30rd 5.45mm mags
Depends on Craig as to which

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1181 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 04:51
Re: The Spoils
Jan Cerny:
"Konrad, the map showed some buildings in the forest.  Let's try and find one of those to make camp in!  I think that we can risk it for tonight as the weather is so bad!"


"Yes. I was hoping some were still intact. The woods would be fine any other time, but not under freezing rain." Bayer replies as he halts the patrol. "Dieter to the front." he says into his radio.

Once the sniper arrives, he says, "We're moving into the forest towards the nearest building. Dieter, your team will scout out the near building, a house I believe, and put it under observation." Then tapping Tucker, the party's point man, he adds, "Main body will keep going through the forest a little ways, then double back with on a dog leg... by then we ought to know if the building is abandoned."

"Once we're in position, we'll lay out in an all around defense for a listening halt just in case we were followed and the dog leg didn't throw them off." he adds. "If we're in the clear. We'll stay for the night."

This message was last edited by the player at 04:59, Mon 12 Apr 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1740 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 06:17
Re: The Spoils
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #269):

When they stopped to get their orders, Dawid listened and tried not to fall over from exhaustion.

He looked over at Warren.

"Now, for the rest of us, who the fuck are you? What the fuck are you doing here? You look like some kind of yank, right?"
He sighed, pulling himself together. "Sorry, just tired and it's nothing personal, but please, do answer the questions."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 34 posts
 American
 Unknown
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 07:22
Re: The Spoils
Before they had set out, Jeff had donned his single-holed Balaclava, and wrapped his brown scarf back around his neck and face to keep warm.  He also retrieved his Flora patterned field jacket and pants from his pack in the greenhouse.  He through his pack over his shoulders, and donned his poncho.  Coupled with the fact that he did not need any new gear from the fallen men and horses, he was thoroughly prepared for the march.  However, he had gotten 6 hours of sleep in the past 48, and although he had dealt with the deprivation before, it still nagged at him from the edge of his awareness.

He simply nodded when told he was with the sniper team.  They shot well enough, and he had worked with snipers many, many times over his career.  He gave each sniper a nod, including the big Norwegian, who still eyed him as if he were some sort of demon.

As the unit marched off, Warren fell in with the sniper team, scanning for threats as best he could, keeping his AN/PVS-7's accessible, but not on in order to conserve battery.  He notices that everyone is much more miserable than he is, being either overburdened with too much gear, not wearing enough for the weather, or both.  All things considered, Jeff's load is light, and his gear is enough for the weather.  Of course, these guys didn't parachute into the country 3 months ago.  During the entire march, he doesn't speak a single word until they stop, and he is accosted by Dawid.

"Josef Stalin, KGB." Jeff hisses.  Just because the unit had stopped did not mean this was the time for chit-chat.  However, he sensed the Pole's hostility, and could feel several other of the men, who should be watching the perimeter, watching him and waiting for a response.  Jeff finally begrudged:

"Jeff Warren, or Ghost if it's easier.  I'm a Direct Tasking Officer with the CIA Special Operations Group.  More questions can wait."  Good Job Jeff, now you have to worry about killing any of these guys if they get captured...

He hopes the Pole is satisfied to wait until they are secure enough for more questions.  Jeff's gaze returns to the perimeter, but before it does he notices Dieter talking to the German captain, and he expects to go out on a mission.

While he waits, he quietly keys his radio on a special frequency.  No one is close enough to catch what he says though.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:59, Mon 12 Apr 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1741 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 08:10
Re: The Spoils
In reply to Jeff D. Warren (msg #271):

Dawid wasn't hostile, just tired. Warren snapped at him, surprising from someone dressed something like an Afghantsy (Soviet-Afghan war veteran), kheffiyeh (which the British called a "shemagh") wrapped around the neck, Soviet camouflage, tricked-up advanced Kalashnikov rifle. Completely out of place.

"Josef, you are in the wrong country, my friend! CIA... well, I guess that explains why you look are dressed like a Russian in Poland. If you're looking for the RESET papers, you're too late and in the wrong place."

He looked out over his own sector of the perimeter.
Minh Quyen
 player, 485 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 08:34
Re: The Spoils
Before heading out:

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
Tired, Dawid thought for a second, realizing he forgot some things. "Kapitan, Mihn will carry the long-range radio instead of Arpel."


Quyen accepts the radio, strapping it over her small pack, and saying, "I won't complain, but don't know how long I'll be able to carry this along with my own gear. Not without falling behind."

Now:

During the march, Quyen watched her arcs, trying her best to shut out the cold, the pain of the straps digging into her shoulders, and her sore legs. Relief washed over her when she heard the Hauptmann whispering about halting for the night.

Crouching, she shifted the weight on her back and stared out into the darkness around them, ready to close in on their shelter for the night.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:34, Mon 12 Apr 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 91 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 08:37
Re: The Spoils
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Mister Warren, you're with Dieter and under his command."</Blue>


Once informed of this, Dieter responded to Warren, "Welcome my friend. My leadership will be... democratic. Please feel free to offer advice as you see fit." With that he offered his hand in friendship. "By the way, your callsign is now Thunder 3." He also updated Warren on the callsigns for the rest of the party.

Konrad Bayer:
"Yes. I was hoping some were still intact. The woods would be fine any other time, but not under freezing rain." Bayer replies as he halts the patrol. "Dieter to the front." he says into his radio.

Once the sniper arrives, he says, "We're moving into the forest towards the nearest building. Dieter, your team will scout out the near building, a house I believe, and put it under observation." Then tapping Tucker, the party's point man, he adds, "Main body will keep going through the forest a little ways, then double back with on a dog leg... by then we ought to know if the building is abandoned."

"Once we're in position, we'll lay out in an all around defense for a listening halt just in case we were followed and the dog leg didn't throw them off." he adds. "If we're in the clear. We'll stay for the night."


Dieter nodded in agreement upon receiving his orders. He double checked that he has collected all his gear, and then called in Warren and Thor to explain the briefing. Confident that both men knew they roles, and hoping that Thor wouldn't go off on his own again, they set off. Dieter would take up the centre of the three, with Warren on the left flank and Thor on the right.

OOC - Dieter is not taking any of the salvages loot.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 36 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 08:56
Re: The Spoils
Jeff pauses his attempts on his Radio to say back at Dawid "You would too if you had been fighting with the Russian Army for three months."

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
Realising the man was talking on the radio, he realised Warren hadn't been given the team's frequencies.
"Who the fuck are you talking to?"


Jeff finishes speaking into the radio handset before addressing Dawid.  His conversation was obviously important to him.
"Boss."  From this point he ignores him for now, resuming his radio conversation until Dieter comes over.

After Dieter explains, Jeff responds "Easy."  He moves off with the sniper team, assuming the left flank.  This time he has his NVG's in place, as well as his suppressor on his AK.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:04, Mon 12 Apr 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1743 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 09:20
Re: The Spoils
In reply to Jeff D. Warren (msg #275):

Dawid snorted in amusement at Warren's reply. Checkists were all alike. KGB, CIA, GRU...

Realising the man was talking on the radio, he realised Warren hadn't been given the team's frequencies.

"Who the fuck are you talking to?"

Getting no answer, he approached Bayer. There didn't seem to be a call to escalate at this time, as it was obvious the man wasn't allied with the Baron, he wasn't being especially secretive and if this was worth killing for he would be dead right now.

"Kapitan, that Warren fellow is talking on the radio. I don't think to one of us. What do you want me to do about it?"

He caught Jan's eye, motioned towards Warren.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:31, Mon 12 Apr 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 81 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 13:31
Re: The Spoils
Thor trotted off into the darkness once what was expected was made clear. Seconds later all trace of the heavily overloaded man was gone.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 696 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 13:33
Re: The Spoils
Mariusz kept on moving into the forest as the Kaptain had commanded. He was cold, wet and tired and he was seriously worried that if he had to take his right hand out of the over mitten that he wouldn't be able to pull the trigger. He wasn't worried yet, he'd been closer to freezing to death than this over the last few years.

Last year they'd been on the run and had to stay in the forest for three weeks in the depth of winter. Of course, survival was easier then because snow could insulate as well as kill. This freezing rain, rain that soaked to your skin and sapped your strength was more dangerous.

He looked around, the world drenched in the eerie light of the night vision goggles. His teeth were chattering and he clenched them to try to stop it. He felt the vibration take up sympathetic spasms in teh muscles of his draw and he continued.

Please, Sir, he thought to himself, don't take us too far...
Jan Cerny
 player, 423 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 16:03
Re: The Spoils
Jan was glad that Konrad's thoughts lay along the same lines as his own.  They needed shelter now and probably some time to rest and recuperate before they moved on further towards Warsaw.  Every so often Jan felt every part of his thirty seven years and part of him wished that he'd never come to Poland.  They had needed a translator though and he'd been the obvious choice!

As they followed on behind the sniper team Jan kept his wits about him as best he could in this foul weather.  He covered his arcs as he'd been taught so many years ago and how he had taught recruits more recently.  Hot food, a cigarette and sleep would come eventually but that was something to shut out until they were secure in their location.  He moved on autopilot to some degree.

He almost thanked the Baron for clearing these farms.  It meant that they could take the risk for the night more easily and possibly even risk a fire.  Even if they didn't then the paint can heaters Drew had constructed would make a massive difference, particularly inside a building.

Jan hadn't been aware of any issues with their new companion Warren until Dawid raised his concerns about Warren using his radio to talk to someone outside of their little group.  Warren was on the move with the rest of the sniper team however before Jan could speak with the man.

As Warren moved away though Jan was able to study the radio Warren carried.  Through a combination of his night vision goggles and the weather he couldn't really pick out any details of the radio apart from its physical size.  He waited until Warren was out of hearing range before he spoke.

"That's a manpack radio of some kind isn't it?"
he muttered to Konrad, Dawid and any others nearby.  "What kind of range does one of those have in this weather?  A couple of klicks or so?  Whoever he's talking to must be nearby."

He paused again before speaking further.

"Konrad, you want me to hang back and watch the trail while the rest of you advance ahead?  Possibly keeping Craig with me?"
  Maybe that cigarette was going to have to wait for a while!
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1748 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 23:17
Re: The Spoils

Anyone attempting to listen in as Warren attempts to use his radio can't make out anything being said but it is fairly obvious that the new guy is not just talking to himself.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:20, Mon 12 Apr 2010.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 817 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 13 Apr 2010
at 00:25
Re: The Spoils
After the time they had to take and hide weapons & gear, cut up horsemeat, and redistribute gear for the trek out to Warsaw.  Tucker added the two spare Browning HP magazines to his Rucksack and adjusted his belt/vest to accomodate the new pistol he picked up off of Coulter.  He at least had a silenced weapon in case he needed one while he was running point or any other situation that called for it.  He also adjusted his gear so he could he could carry the extra ammo for Drew's machine-gun.  His final order of business was to change out of wet clothing and put on a lighter, dry layer so he could function a little better.  If there is time to dry out his clothes before they get packed, he will take advantage of it.
==========================================================================================

Konrad Bayer:
Jan Cerny:
"Konrad, the map showed some buildings in the forest.  Let's try and find one of those to make camp in!  I think that we can risk it for tonight as the weather is so bad!"


"Yes. I was hoping some were still intact. The woods would be fine any other time, but not under freezing rain." Bayer replies as he halts the patrol. "Dieter to the front." he says into his radio.

Once the sniper arrives, he says, "We're moving into the forest towards the nearest building. Dieter, your team will scout out the near building, a house I believe, and put it under observation." Then tapping Tucker, the party's point man, he adds, "Main body will keep going through the forest a little ways, then double back with on a dog leg... by then we ought to know if the building is abandoned."

"Once we're in position, we'll lay out in an all around defense for a listening halt just in case we were followed and the dog leg didn't throw them off." he adds. "If we're in the clear. We'll stay for the night."

Tucker listens to what Bayer want them do do and just simply nods to him, "You got it boss.  Hope we can get some rack time soon!  Bad news too, batteries are shot in my NVG's!"

Tucker
M-16A2 [28/30] / w. M-203 Grenade launcher [HE]

Adding; [1] H&K SOCOM Pistol w. Suppressor +3 12-Round Magazines
[2] Browing HP Magzines
[2] M240 GPMG Belts for Drew's MG

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:20, Tue 13 Apr 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 106 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 13 Apr 2010
at 07:31
Re: The Spoils
Picking up a couple of the FRAG grenades from the weapons pile, Craig then grabs a couple of cans from the kitchen. Once the pile of weapons had been hidden in the shed Craig informs the group he is going to trap them.

He places the grenades in the cans and rests them against the rear wall held in place by a couple of slates from the shed roof. He then ties some twine to each grenade and then ties the other end to a sling swivel on to one of the AK's on top of  the pile. Lastly he removes the pins and the grenades and lets the lever rest against the inside of the can.

Exiting the shed he puts his pack on his back and adjusts it. He then moves off with his AK at his shoulder.

After the long trek Craig scans the building with the others, waiting for the order to move forward.

New Gear
MAC-10 9mmN x 2 30 round mags
Browning FN 9mm x 2 + 2 15 round mags
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1749 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 00:05
Shelter From the Storm

The point element's dogleg does not reveal the presence of any pursuit force, nor does nearly a half-an-hour most of you spend lying in perimeter security/surveilance around a home Konrad's picked out on the northern edge of the hamlet. For the moment, at least, you appear to be the only inhabitants- however temporary- of this particular settlement.

You enter a modest, one-story home on the edge of the forest, a couple of houses away from the main road. Unlike most abandoned properties you've entered in this part of Poland, this house is fairly well furnished. Perhaps its proximity to a forest obviated the need to use furniture for fuel. The former inhabitants appear to have taken all of their clothing and linens with them, though. There are wooden shutters for the windows but no curtains. Somewhat miraculously for the day and age that you find yourself living in, the glass windows themselves are still intact as well. It's almost just as cold inside the cottage as it is out, but it is blessedly dry by comparison.

You are chilled almost to the bone. Some of your clothing is damp- either with sweat or with precipitation- considerably adding to your misery. You've just marched over eight kilometers through a rain and snow storm and you haven't eaten since early in the afternoon.

A fire will keep you warm but, without black-out curtains, there's no guarantee that you will be able to conceal the light that it will produce. Under the circumstances, however, a fire may well be worth the risk.

Next Moves? 

Updated Map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...97,0.016469&z=17

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:27, Wed 14 Apr 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 240 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 05:08
Re: Shelter From the Storm
Once inside, Drew will remove his pack and much of his burden.  He will add,

"We should get someone out for security so we don't get surprised like last time."  as he removes his overwhite top and the jacket.

  "I say we all stay in one room, it'll keep us warmer and from having to chase all over the place lookin for someone."


As Drew surveys the room.

"We need ta get a fire going, some light, dry our clothes, change inta something dry and clean our weapons, and get somethin ta eat, not in that order though....damn its colder than a witches tit out there."

  "What we got ta black out them windows?"
  As he ridles through his pack and pulls out a poncho,

"Here, hang this up over the window, it'll cut down the glare.  We can arrainge some of the furniture around the fire too ta kinda cover it inside too."

  Drew watches everyone else in the group,

"Come on folks, lets get changing and some grub boiling."

  Drew returns to fishing in his pack and pulls out a wool sweater he picked up in the village and puts that on inplace of his camo top,  He hangs his damn blouse over the back of a chair to dry.

  "I'll take first watch, just get me some chow and somethin hot ta drink even if its just hot water." 

  Drew finds a place near the fireplace and lays out the captured bedroll, and then his sleeping bag.  Otherwise everything is preped and ready to bug out if he has too.

  "I'll be outside while we get set up.  When ya get a watch order set, send someone out ta releive me."  As he puts on his fieldjacket once more and then hefts his machinegun and the spare ammo belt.

Sgt Drew
M240 w/ 80 rounds and 1911
Prepping his bed and going outside ta pull watch while the team gets set up inside

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:49, Wed 14 Apr 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 93 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 06:08
Re: Shelter From the Storm
By the time they reached the little house Dieter was frozen. His parka, which he had put on just before they left the farm, was good, but his skinny frame had no body fat on it, and the wind was biting. He did his best not to show it, but anyone looking at his face could see that he was struggling.

Once they had established that the house was clear, Dieter instructed the Thunder team to move forward. Once a final recon of the building was done, he went inside. It was just as cold inside, but was at least out of the wind.

Looking over at Konrad, he said with chattering teeth, "Herr Bayer, would you like me to keep watch on the perimeter?" Secretly he hoped that the Captain would order him to stand down and get warm, then get some food, but he would never say so.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 40 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 07:24
Re: Shelter From the Storm
Jeff had secured his NVG's halfway through the observation so as to conserve battery, as well as the fact that the other's had them, plus he didn't expect anyone to be here after the first half of observation.  He had personally cleared the buildings while the snipers waited, and before the rest of the team had rejoined them.  Once inside, he pulled up a chair, and secured his own little corner of paradise.  He took off his hat and scarf, as well as his wet poncho and jacket.  He leaned his rifle and pack against the wall, but did not take off his armor or pistol.  He sat quietly in the chair, and waited for the questions that would follow, as well as some food, and sleep.

He observes Drew covering the windows, and approves.  He says to no one in particular, "Help him cover windows.  Ponchos, shelter halfs, whatever.  We need a fire."  He will offer his poncho if needed, and then resume his place in his chair.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 109 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 09:26
Re: Shelter From the Storm


Doing a quick scan and recce of the immediate area around of the house Craig enters the building and off loads his back in the furthest corner. He then helps with the quick prep of the rooms windows with his spare poncho. Craig then leaves out the front door again and secures the shutters on the windows of the house again using the time to get the lay of the land around the house.

He then gives a hand moving the gear off the bike onto the table in the room. Once everything is secured away he takes off his field jacket and changes into his spare set of BDU's with a dry tee-shirt underneath. He takes off his commercial thermals and leaves them on his pack, to be dried later.

Taking his torch off his webbing he searches for the hatch that will give access to the roof space. If the house has one Craig will enter the space with his Browning in one hand and his torch in the other. If the space is clear Craig will begin preparing it to use as a observation post, bringing up some chairs, moving some tiles in the roof and putting one of the paint can fires up there.

”Just like Northern Ireland all over again”.

He says to himself.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1751 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 20:40
Re: Shelter From the Storm
In reply to Dieter Brandt (msg #285):

Dawid listened to Drew's advice, as it was sound. Dieter asked Konrad if he wanted him to take first watch.

"Dieter, that's a good idea. You and Drew are first up. We'll go on 2-hour watches. Coordinate a 360-degree watch."

He gathered everyone in the kitchen. "This is the warmest room in the house, and has a stove. Come on, off with your wet things." He started a fire in the potbellied stove by breaking up a chair, then strung up a clothesline to hang up his and others' wet clothing.

"Mariusz, Mihn, go find some more firewood. See if there's still a woodpile outside, look for a shed. If need be, break up more furniture."

The questions that Warren knew were coming wasn't what he thought. "Mister Warren, help me cover windows and such. Thanks for volunteering!"

After seeing to that and his own gear, Dawid made sure something was cooking for the entire team, involving the horsement. He also saw to it that all windows were covered for light discipline, using any available clothing left behind or bedsheets.

After, he also checked everyone's feet; they'd done a fair amount of walking in the rain, after taking it easy on the Queen or in town. Problems could occur. As well, he made sure people were fed and hydrated.

Dawid looked after the horse, making sure it was fed, groomed and brushed down. He brought it into the living room to do so.

Lastly, he cleaned his weapons and checked the ammunition. Then, he checked the magazines he took from the dead, looking for imperfections in the magazines and the ammunition itself.

"Everyone, check the ammunition you salvaged. We've had a lot of problems with misfires from the ammunition that's produced nowadays."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:44, Wed 14 Apr 2010.

Minh Quyen
 player, 487 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 21:12
Re: Shelter From the Storm
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Mariusz, Mihn, go find some more firewood. See if there's still a woodpile outside, look for a shed. If need be, break up more furniture."


After Quyen dropped her heavy load she sat with her back against the wall. Going back outside was the last thing she wanted to do, but soldiered on. Looking over at Mariusz she smiled. "Yo. Dude." she said in her most "American" voice. Then flexing her numb fingers she says, "Come help me with the wood."

Taking only her rifle, she'll step outside and look around for any cut wood (or other fuel). "I'm not going to make it" she half joked to Mariusz as they searched around the property. "I feel like a penguin."

"See any wood?" Quyen asks, between chattering teeth.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1184 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 21:43
Re: The Spoils
Jan Cerny:
"That's a manpack radio of some kind isn't it?" he muttered to Konrad, Dawid and any others nearby.  "What kind of range does one of those have in this weather?  A couple of klicks or so?  Whoever he's talking to must be nearby."


Bayer only shook his head.

Then when the team had consolidated at the farm house, he says to Dawid, "Set the watch roster and carry on with normal hide routine. Get everyone fed, out of wet clothes and rest as soon as possible."

He made a mental note to check on each of the team members later to see how they were holding up. He planned on checking for suitable clothing mostly and distributing any that would be donated to those less equipped.

Bayer then sits next to Warren and says in a friendly tone, "Mr. Warren. You were talking on a radio earlier. Look. There are no secret goings on in this unit. You must leave your James Bond doings out. Everything is up front between all of the members. Nobody is on their own and unique."

He adds, "It's how its done here. If this isn't a problem for you then great. We can work together. But its..."

"Not negotiable."

He then asks, "What can you tell me about codes CIA and army special forces might be using. A soldier who was part of my team was with them. A good man. He confided in us with some important things, but he also left us with a something coded."

He then shows Warren the string of letters.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:47, Wed 14 Apr 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 430 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 23:03
Re: The Spoils
As everyone started organising the house Konrad had selected for them to sleep in for the night Jan did his share, certain that keeping busy and moving would warm him up quicker than just shivering in a corner.  He dropped his own pack to one side of the room and then piled the other packs from the bike and horse with them.  Opening those packs he started passing out equipment for people to use.  Shelter halves to use to cover the windows, the hatchet Drew had scrounged to Minh and Mariusz to help with their wood collection, the paint can heaters to increase the number of fires in the room and the backpack of horsemeat next to the stove, ready for cooking.

After that he stripped off his wet clothes and replaced them with his thermal set, before spreading out the wet ones to dry.  Feeling a little warmer now he then lit an unfiltered cigarette and took a couple of drags before passing it around to anyone who also wanted a quick puff.  It was a Gauloise but the strong, distinctive smell of the dark tobacco from Syria or Turkey was lost amongst the rapidly growing stench in the room, the result of so many wet bodies and the horse.  The cigarette's taste helped to revive him.  He just wanted a strong dark coffee to go with it and he would be content!

While he was finishing his cigarette Jan then started to clean his rifle, conscious that the rain would do it no good if it wasn't well maintained.  He then checked the RPG-22, two smoke grenades and two frag grenades he'd taken from the ambush site, studying them as much as possible to check that they were in good working order.  That task completed Jan then helped to cook the horsemeat before eating his share with relish.

When the two hour shift Dieter and Drew were on was coming to a close Jan spoke up.  "Dawid, I'll take the next shift if you like."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 699 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 23:03
Re: The Spoils
Mariusz nodded at his assignment and got ready to go, before he left he lay his best chopping knife by the horse meat and said to Jan.

"You have spent lots of time with the French so you probably have some feel for food, mince the fatty meat as finely as you can, I'll mix it with black bread later to make meatballs, we don't have enough wood for a good stew so I'll us fuel conserving cooking." He smiled at the man, "It's my best knife so only stab someone with it if you absolutely have to."

Mariusz caught up with Mihn and said, "We'll check the woodpile first, if there's nothing there we passed a church on the way here. It might still have pews we can break up. I'd like to check the chantry too, there may be surplices and cassocks there. We could use them to insulate the floor or cover the windows and save our shelter halves for sheltering us. Come on, if we keep moving we'll be OK, when we get back we can change and get warm."

He dug his gloved hand into one of his pouches and pulled out four sachets of sugar, he had nine left mow from the MREs he'd carefully hoarded, he handed two to Mihn, "Quick energy boost," he said before pouring the contents of his two sachets into his mouth.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 94 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Thu 15 Apr 2010
at 06:35
Re: The Spoils
Dieter was gutted that his offer to do sentry duty was accepted. He had forgotten the old army motto, 'don't volunteer for anything'. As the others stayed inside, getting warm, he dumped him pack and headed back outside with Drew.

Outside he found a good spot where he could see most of the surrounding area, and kept his eyes open. He periodically scanned with the image intersifiers to check for approaching enemy forces.

He didn't feel the need to say anything, guessing Drew would be bitching enough for the both of them.

When his shift was up he was glad to be relieved, and headed back inside to warm up and get some food.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 41 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Thu 15 Apr 2010
at 09:17
Re: The Spoils
After covering all the windows, Jeff quietly waits last for food, before politely asking the server.  If he is given some, he will be thankful and polite, before moving off to the side.  If he is refused, he will open some of his rations from his pack, and minimize interactions with the others.

Konrad Bayer:
Bayer then sits next to Warren and says in a friendly tone, "Mr. Warren. You were talking on a radio earlier. Look. There are no secret goings on in this unit. You must leave your James Bond doings out. Everything is up front between all of the members. Nobody is on their own and unique."

He adds, "It's how its done here. If this isn't a problem for you then great. We can work together. But its..."

"Not negotiable."

He then asks, "What can you tell me about codes CIA and army special forces might be using. A soldier who was part of my team was with them. A good man. He confided in us with some important things, but he also left us with a something coded."

He then shows Warren the string of letters.

Jeff studies Bayer as he speaks, and replies completely without emotion, "I asked if I could radio my superior, and you did not object.  That is all I did. He is going to call again in the morning, or I am going to try and get a message to him if he does not.  My radio is giving me a lot of problems.  You may speak to him if you like."

He considers his next words carefully. "As for my 'James Bond' style, you must understand, that is simply how I operate.  Secrecy, at this point, is a fact of life, and one I am very good at.  It comes with the career.  My own superior/liaison with the 10th does not even know everything I do for my country, and for his superiors.  I am called the Ghost for a reason."

There is another pause here while Warren thinks deeply, "However, I respect your command, and while I am a guest, I will do my best to be as 'open' as I can.  I am sure your men have many questions of me, and I will answer them all honestly.  I sense we will be working together for the foreseeable future, and I need them to trust me just as much as I can trust them.  So no more secrets Herr Bayer, within reason."  Jeff even manages a small but genuine smile at this last remark, and extends his hand.  "I would appreciate if you introduce me to your men, so they can ask their questions and sleep better.  After that, I would not mind some sleep." After they shake, it is back to business.

Jeff studies the code carefully:

FCIXCHB

FCCXBHZ

CZAXBBF

"Simple.  The man you got this from is sloppy.  It's a simple alpha-numeric switch, with X being '.' and the rest being their respective number within the alphabet.  I recognize 2 of these frequencies.  One of them is the private/emergency contact with my superior at the 10th.  I believe he is or was responsible for multiple agents in the area.  The second freq belonged to a local contact working for the agency.  He was Polish, HUMINT, a priest or rabbi or something leading some partisans.  I'd never met the man in person, but I've heard his transmissions to and from the 10th.  From my understanding with Salesman, the agent with the 10th, he dropped off the grid."

Jeff studies the last sequence carefully, and even gets his notepad from his pack.  After rifling through some pages, he scowls, looks again, and then puts away the pad before speaking to Bayer, "This last one is also a radio frequency, but I don't know to whom.  I don't suggest we find out right now, however.  We can ask Salesman tomorrow.  His personal net, the one I used earlier, is secure."

"You mentioned something about the soldier you got these codes from.  Who was he?  How did he obtain these?  If they just handed this information out to anyone, I would be dead long ago.  And do you have any further questions you'd ask of me?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1756 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 15 Apr 2010
at 09:30
Re: The Spoils
Jeff D. Warren:
After covering all the windows, Jeff quietly waits last for food, before politely asking the server.  If he is given some, he will be thankful and polite, before moving off to the side.


After Warren helped him put up blackout curtains, Dawid is more than glad to give him food and water, sharing from the group's stores.

Listening in on the conversation, he added, "I thought it was some kind of substitution cypher. Not knowing who or what it referred to, there was little way to confirm my guess. I am Dawid Waldus Piotrowski, at your service. I am part of the Polish Home Army under the Free Polish government." The Home Army tended to cooperate more with the DIA, whereas the Solidarnosc guerrillas were more involved in CIA operations. Still, the Free Polish accepted what help they could, as long as it wasn't coming from the Russians.

Dawid wanted to say more, but he waited for Konrad to ask more questions before continuing, out of respect.
Jan Cerny
 player, 434 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 15 Apr 2010
at 17:12
Re: The Spoils
OOC - Addendum to my previous post.

Mariusz Tokarski:
Mariusz nodded at his assignment and got ready to go, before he left he lay his best chopping knife by the horse meat and said to Jan.

"You have spent lots of time with the French so you probably have some feel for food, mince the fatty meat as finely as you can, I'll mix it with black bread later to make meatballs, we don't have enough wood for a good stew so I'll us fuel conserving cooking." He smiled at the man, "It's my best knife so only stab someone with it if you absolutely have to."


Jan smiled at Mariusz' joke and nodded in response.  After sorting out his gear and offering to take the second watch to Dawid, he followed Mariusz' suggestion.  Jan firstly dug around in the house for something to use as a chopping board before using the young Pole's knife to chop the horsemeat as finely as he could.

Meatballs were a good idea and Jan just wished that Mariusz also had some herbs and spices to season the meat, the ingredients to make a ragu and some pasta to serve it with.  Whenever he thought of food Jan wondered if he'd made the right decision not to return to France when his mission had failed.

While he minced the horsemeat Jan listened to the conversation involving the new man Ghost, Konrad and Dawid but chose not to join in or to pass comment.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1753 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 03:08
Night in the Cottage

Sunday, October 22nd, 2000
0015 hrs.
30F
Thick overcast; light snow
Moderate breeze from the N
Approximately 30km east of Warsaw, Poland



Jeff and David cover up the inside of the windows with ponchos, hanging them from the empty curtain rods. Once the shutters are closed, the cottage should be fairly well blacked-out.

After leading the horse into the living room- he's reluctant at first but eventually acquiesces- Dawid gets started on the fire, breaking up a kitchen chair to use as fuel. Without any proper kindling, it takes a while to light but once it begins to burn, it does so quite nicely. With the collection of warm bodies (including the horse) and the small but vigorous fire in the woodstove, the cottage soon begins to feel downright cozy. With the stove door open, the kitchen, at least, is fairly well lit. The rest of the small cottage is farily dim.

One the cottage warms up somewhat, those of you not on watch outside remove your wet clothing and hang it from Dawid's improptu indoor clothesline.

Jan gets started on the cooking. He does his best but wishes the team's aspiring young chef (Mariusz) had volunteered to do meal prep instead. As a naturalized Frenchman, Jan has experienced the taste of horse. The rest of you look forward to the meal with a mix of anticipation and reluctance.

Dieter and Drew find spots covering either side of the cottage and settle in for the first watch. It's very cold and very dark but peacefully quiet. Fat snowflakes fall all around. At least two or three inches have already accumulated. At this rate, by morning, there'll be at least a foot of snow on the ground and a thin layer of ice just below it.

Temporarily (they hope) forsaking warmth, rest, and food, Mariusz and Minh head for the church. It's slow going in the pitch black night. The low front gate in the wall that surrounds the church is closed. Mariusz gently pushes it open and curses himself as he does so. A clatter of tin cans and small bells cuts through the silence like a thunderclap. The pair crouches behind the wall at either side of the gate and waits. The silence resumes momentarily. There are no gunshots or shouted challenges. The gate stands open. The black shadow of the old church looms above and ahead of them.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:10, Fri 16 Apr 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 244 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 04:24
Re: Night in the Cottage

  Drew hudles into a tight ball trying to conserve his energy and stay warm.  He is deaming of a long awaited cigarette and he checks his watch more than he normaly does waiting for the eternity that he is in to leave the burning cold he is no in.

  He grabs a handful of snow and fashions it into a snowball, he makes a couple others until he has three lined before him.  These will be his signal device.  Should he need to gain the attention of his partner, or even those in the house he will lay a fastball at them to alert them.  Once he has fashioned the snowballs he will brush the snow from the all to thin gloves in an effort to keep dry.

  Drew casts his gaze towards the house.  He is looking for light or sounds that may betray their presence.  If he detects any, he will report it to the occupants so they can deal with it.

  Drews hand clutches the cold plastic of his M240.  It isn't that bad to hold.  But the metal that touches his hand burns through his thin glove and feels almost like fire it is so cold.  He shifts his fingers away, retreating from the cold metal.  He does his best to try not to touch it.  Drew hardly breathes.  The could makes his teeth hurt and his lungs pause as the cold air fills his lungs almost making them almost sieze.

"How much longer...damnit."  Drew mutters low as he watches the steam from his breath rise.

"Da...mn...i..ts...cold."


Sgt Drew
M240 s/80 rounds and 1911A1
On watch trying not to freeze

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1758 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 06:57
Re: Night in the Cottage
In reply to Steven Drew (msg #298):

Dawid brewed a pot of tea for everyone.

He and Warren also temporarily relieved Drew and Dieter to allow them to have something to eat. When he did, Dawid made the watch schedule known. Mariusz and Minh were exempt, due to their exertion finding the firewood.

0000-0200: Drew/Dieter
0200-0400: Jan/Konrad
0400-0600: Tucker/Dawid
0600-0645: Sutherland/Thor

Dawid made sure each pair had at least one set of working NVGs.

Not seeing the wood gathering party for a while, he radioed Minh for a status check. "Hailstorm-5 this is Lightning-1. What is your status?"

This message was last edited by the player at 08:13, Fri 16 Apr 2010.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1185 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 07:46
Re: The Spoils
In reply to Jeff D. Warren (msg #294):

Bayer replies, "I did agree yes. But I didn't expect it to happen in the midst of a patrol move without being warned. These men, as well as myself, have had problems before - making us easily suspicious of such behavior."

"No matter." he concludes without saying more, satisfied they understand each others positions.

Nodding at the decryption, he answers simply, "He was American Green Beret. Milk was his name." Again, he lets the topic end.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:47, Fri 16 Apr 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 96 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 08:17
Re: The Spoils
When his shift ended, Dieter was glad to get out of the cold. He had slept outside many times before, but usually in the summer in the Black Forest, when the weather was balmy. All this snow was getting to him.

Back in the cottage the atmosphere was warm, not hunting lodge log fire warm, but it would certainly do the trick. He grabbed at some hot food and wolfed it down quickly, washing it down with the water bottle from his pack that was a lot warmer than the one at his belt.

After eating, he removed his cold, wet clothing and hung it out as best he could, trying to warm by the fires. He changed into some fresh clothing, and wrapped his sleeping bag around him. After a few minutes, he checked his kit, ensuring his rifle was clean and dry, and that his bow hadn't gotten damaged in any way. Satisfied with both, he checked his feet, making sure they were clean and dry. Once satisfied, he settled into his sleeping bag, with his boots and rifle next to him. He slept as close to one of the heaters as he could, trying to absorb as much of it's heat as possible.

Despite his tiredness, sleep didn't come quickly. He reflected on the battle earlier in the day. He wasn't a natural soldier, and hated the killing. It hadn't been a fight, it had been a slaughter. The enemy hadn't stood a chance, they had been simply executed like rabid dogs. It all seemed so pointless. Worse still was the noise of the horses. The memory of their pitiful screams were an unfitting lullaby by which he eventually drifted off to sleep.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 42 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 08:32
Re: The Spoils
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #300):

Jeff nods in response to the first part of Bayer's talk.  At the mention of Milk's name, Jeff's eyes widen, slightly.  "Milk was a good man.  Anyway Captain, it is clear we understand each other.  I am going to rest now, but thank you, for not killing me, and allowing me to follow you."

With that Jeff moves off to his corner and begins to lay out his sleeping pad and bag.  He says nothing to Dawid as they temporarily relieve Drew and Dieter, simply enjoying the winter's night, as much as he can.  Just before they move inside though, Jeff finally talks to Dawid, "I'm sorry for my earlier attitude.  I was not thinking clearly. 

After they move inside, Jeff proceeds immediately to his sleeping bag, and falls into a very deep sleep instantly.  This is the first rest he's had in 3 days.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1761 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 08:39
Re: The Spoils
In reply to Jeff D. Warren (msg #302):

Dawid nods in thanks to Warren's accompanying him on the temporary duty.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 700 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 10:16
Re: The Spoils
"Cover me," Mariusz said to Mihn, "the door's probably locked but I'll check around the place."

He dropped into a crouch and moved as quickly as he could toward the large church doors. If he reached the doors safely he'd tentatively try the handle to see if the door was locked or not. If the main doors were locked he intended to go to the rear of the church and see if the door to the vestry was open.
Jan Cerny
 player, 435 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 11:41
Re: The Spoils
After chopping the horsemeat as finely as he could Jan left it in a couple of mess tins for Mariusz to cook.  He placed the improvised chopping board across the top of the tins to prevent any little creatures from climbing in there as well and then put Mariusz' knife on top of the board so that the chef would realise where his diced horsemeat was.

Jan then went and scrubbed his hands as clean as he could, using some soap from his personal hygiene kit and a scoop of snow from outside.  Noticing the continuing bad weather outside he commented to Konrad, though loud enough for everyone inside to hear.  "Weather's bad enough that we might be here for more than the night."  They couldn't afford any long delays however - their food stocks would start to dwindle quite quickly.

After quickly warming up his hands in front of the fire he took the opportunity to get some sleep before it was his turn to stand watch.  Finding a clear space on the floor, where he could see the front door to the cottage, he laid his sleeping bag down but used it as a sleep mat rather than getting inside.  He then removed his binoculars, grenade vest, webbing and Kevlar armour and placed them to one side, next to his Alice pack, Kevlar helmet, Airborne medic bag, RPG-22 and Steyr rifle, ensuring that his rifle and webbing were within easy reach.  He seemed happy to sleep in his thermal fatigues with his boots on and his black woollen skull cap pulled down as tight as possible on his balding head.  It meant that if a problem occurred he could grab his rifle and ammo and respond quickly.

The room was warm enough for him to sleep in his clothes and though he would liked to have taken his boots off he was tired enough to sleep with them on.  He had checked his feet and changed his socks earlier on when stripping off his wet clothes so he was as comfortable as he felt he could risk.

He slept well before his turn to stand watch alongside Konrad.  It was only a short sleep but it took the edge of the fatigue he felt and he knew that he would get another couple of hours after he finished his guard duty.

When he took his turn on watch he re-equipped himself to some degree but didn't use his night vision goggles, preferring to let his eyes get accustomed to the eerie dark and to save the batteries.

Somewhere along the line he also ate whatever food was offered to him.
Minh Quyen
 player, 488 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 11:58
Re: The Spoils
Mariusz Tokarski:
"Cover me," Mariusz said to Mihn, "the door's probably locked but I'll check around the place."


"Ok." Quyen replies. "Careful. Early warning system hmm? Might be home." She will then ready her weapon and cover Mariusz's approach.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 818 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 00:13
Re: The Spoils
After changing out his wet clothing and placing it somehwere close to a heat source so that they're good to go in a couple of hours, Tucker puts on something dry & warm.  He gets some chow and gets a mug of the tea that Dawid brewed up to try and take the chill out of his wet and tired body.  It had been a long day and everyone had worked well together on the ambush even though Apel ran off and left the group for whatever reason it was.

He takes his chow and sits down next to/near Drew.  He eats and drinks down the tea and then he watches as Drew smokes his cigarette.  He looks to him and asks him in a low voice, "Mind if I bum one of those cigs off of you Drew?  I'd rather have a cigar but, I think it might be a bit too much out here."
Craig Sutherland
 player, 110 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 00:36
Re: The Spoils

Returning from his prep in the roof space Craig lets Dawid know what he has been up to and suggests it would suffice for close in observation. He then grabs some food and  exchanges small talk with those around him.

Craig then cleans and checks his weapons including the two new pistols and sub-machine gun. Anyone who looks at him as he does this will notice a plastic bag full of all the other pistol and sub machine gun magazines and ammo on top of his pack.

Once finished Craig finds a corner of the room and gets into his sleeping bag and falls asleep. An early riser Craig is up an hour before his watch so he takes over early to allow Dawid and Tucker extra time to sleep.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1763 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 01:03
Re: The Spoils
In reply to Craig Sutherland (msg #308):

Reaslising a good idea when he saw one, Dawid stripped and cleaned Jared's Kalashnikov. He might need a smaller and more portable weapon than the GPMG, and the rifle would do nicely. As he worked, he sipped some tea. He slipped AK 6 magazines and 4x 40mm grenades in his chest ammo harness for later.

"Thanks, Sutherland. What directions will this observation post cover?"
Craig Sutherland
 player, 111 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 01:31
Re: The Spoils
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Thanks, Sutherland. What directions will this observation post cover?"


"Well if we remove enough of the tiles from the roof we can make pretty good sight avenues for what ever way the house is orentated."

Thinking about it for a bit he adds:

"It's probably better for a sniper team, but with all the leaves off the tree's should be able to see pretty far. A little elevation always helps as well."
Steven Drew
 player, 245 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 03:52
Re: The Spoils
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
After changing out his wet clothing and placing it somehwere close to a heat source so that they're good to go in a couple of hours, Tucker puts on something dry & warm.  He gets some chow and gets a mug of the tea that Dawid brewed up to try and take the chill out of his wet and tired body.  It had been a long day and everyone had worked well together on the ambush even though Apel ran off and left the group for whatever reason it was.

He takes his chow and sits down next to/near Drew.  He eats and drinks down the tea and then he watches as Drew smokes his cigarette.  He looks to him and asks him in a low voice, "Mind if I bum one of those cigs off of you Drew?  I'd rather have a cigar but, I think it might be a bit too much out here."



  Drew is sitting atop his sleeping bag, wearing his fieldjacket liner and a wool blanket drapped over his shoulders.  His polypro is the only thing he wears other than wool socks and his wool cap.  He shoulder holster lay next to him.  Drew is going over his machinegun.

  He savors each puff of the acrid commie tobacco.

  As Tucker sits, he smiles, holds up his mug of steaming liquid and smiles,

"Good ta the last drop." as he mocks an old coffee comercial and tilts his head and makes an over exagerated smile.

  When Tucker asks for a smoke Drew reaches for a partialy full pack and tosses it to Tucker,

"There ya go Army, help yourself.  Some of Georgias finest blends of tobacco and camel shit with just a hint of sawdust to make it just right.  Hehehehe" Drew Chuckles.

  As Drew reassembles the bolt, bolt carrier and piston to his machinegun he asks more serious as he slides the compenents back inside the machineguns reciever,

"So Tuck, what do ya think we're gonna do next?"

Sgt Drew
M240 w/80 rounds and his .45
cleaning his weapon, and being serious for a moment with Tucker

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:42, Sat 17 Apr 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 246 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 04:11
Re: The Spoils
  Drew returns from his shift on watch.  He brings wood from whatever trees were around or boards or fences he passed on the way.  He steps into the house and pauses, closing his eyes and counting to ten to let them focus.  He pauses and enjoys the slight warmth the building provides.  He then removes his poncho and hangs it before going into the kitchen where everyone is and where he had unrolled his bedroll before going on watch.

  Drew will enter and ask,

"Horse!  Its what's for dinner!"  As he sits down and removes his boots, then his socks and set them to dry.  Before long Drew is sitting on his sleepingbag.  Wrapped in a blanket in his long polypro with dry socks and his fieldjacketliner eating the step and drinking a cup of steaming liquid cleaning his weapon and smoking a cigarette.

  As he takes the pack back from Tucker he nods to Marz,

"Hey Mar.  Catch!" as he tosses the youth a cigarette that he had promised him earlier that evening. "Help yourself."

  Drew then takes a piece of the meat from his meal and laughs,

"Horse!  The OTHER, OTHER, OTHER WHITE MEAT!  Hehehehe!"

"I hope this isn't the wrong time ta let ya all know, I snore light as freight train and have terrible flatulance when I sleep." 


Sgt Drew
M240 and 1911
Smoking and Joking

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:43, Sat 17 Apr 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 97 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 06:09
Re: The Spoils
Steven Drew:
"I hope this isn't the wrong time ta let ya all know, I snore light as freight train and have terrible flatulance when I sleep."


Dieter ignores Drew's jokes as he tries to sleep. During the day he had gotten to like Drew, the American was a whinger but he helped to lighten the mood. But right now Dieter's melancholia had overtaken him, and his mind was full of nothing but dead men and screaming horses. Sleep would not be a relaxing affair.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1764 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 07:42
Re: The Spoils
In reply to Craig Sutherland (msg #310):

"I think you're right. If we can look at the other farm, the one we came from, that would be superb. As for combat, a sniper is good because they can suppress their muzzle flash. Not a good location for a GPMG, hard to get grazing fire from up high and with putting out tracers, they can see where you are and you'd be a sitting duck."

Dawis smiled but didn't comment when Drew started joking around, especially about horse meat.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 819 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 09:07
Re: The Spoils
Steven Drew:
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
After changing out his wet clothing and placing it somehwere close to a heat source so that they're good to go in a couple of hours, Tucker puts on something dry & warm.  He gets some chow and gets a mug of the tea that Dawid brewed up to try and take the chill out of his wet and tired body.  It had been a long day and everyone had worked well together on the ambush even though Apel ran off and left the group for whatever reason it was.

He takes his chow and sits down next to/near Drew.  He eats and drinks down the tea and then he watches as Drew smokes his cigarette.  He looks to him and asks him in a low voice, "Mind if I bum one of those cigs off of you Drew?  I'd rather have a cigar but, I think it might be a bit too much out here."



  Drew is sitting atop his sleeping bag, wearing his fieldjacket liner and a wool blanket drapped over his shoulders.  His polypro is the only thing he wears other than wool socks and his wool cap.  He shoulder holster lay next to him.  Drew is going over his machinegun.

  He savors each puff of the acrid commie tobacco.

  As Tucker sits, he smiles, holds up his mug of steaming liquid and smiles,

"Good ta the last drop."  as he mocks an old coffee comercial and tilts his head and makes an over exagerated smile.

  When Tucker asks for a smoke Drew reaches for a partialy full pack and tosses it to Tucker,

"There ya go Army, help yourself.  Some of Georgias finest blends of tobacco and camel shit with just a hint of sawdust to make it just right.  Hehehehe" Drew Chuckles.

  As Drew reassembles the bolt, bolt carrier and piston to his machinegun he asks more serious as he slides the compenents back inside the machineguns reciever,

"So Tuck, what do ya think we're gonna do next?"

Tucker returns the smile to Drew as he sits down near him.  "Ah, Maxwell house huh?  Shit was good when you could get it off the shelf.  Now, tastes like it's drained through someone's boot sock after a long hump!"

When Drew offers up his pack after he asked for a smoke, Tucker catches the pack, takes one, then throws it back over to Drew.  "Good looking out Drew.  As long as it's good enough for a Leatherneck, it's good enough for me!"

Tucker smokes the cigarette as he watches the Marine filed strip his weapon and replies to him, "Damned if I know Drew.  Personally, I think we should head back after we clobbered those guys back at the other farm.  WE had to much gear that could've went to good use back at G-K, that little fag Apel ran off to tell whoever that we were out there, and some of the reiders got away.  Honestly, I think Konrad is still going to take us in to try and hook up with friendlies in Warsaw.  I don't think we would've come out this way if we weren't still going there.  Who knows, we migh get snowed in here!"
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 84 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 13:15
Re: The Spoils
The door slammed open and the abominable snowman that was Thor shambled into the warmth of the temporary lodgings. Snow cascaded from his body, spilling onto the floor in great piles. With a dog-like shake the more flew through the air, landing all around the small room.

"Thor tired. Sleep now."

Mjollnir thudded onto the floor followed momentarily by a heavily overloaded pack. Still wearing his webbing, body armour and sodden furs, Thor collapsed atop the pack, asleep even before he hit the cold, hard floor.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1756 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 17:05
Night

Covered my Minh, Mariusz carefully approaches the aged church's front doors. They are about half as tall again as a full grown man and about as wide as eight standing abreast.

He reaches out for one of the large wrought iron door handles and pulls gently. The doors do not budge. He pulls harder, with the same results. It appears the door has been locked and/or barred from the inside. Mariusz decides to look for another way in. He circles the building and finds another, much smaller door on the east side of the church. It too is locked. He returns to Minh.

The others remain in the cottage, cooking, cleaning their weapons, drying their outer layers of clothing, or sleeping. The cabin is warming up nicely. The cramped quarters are starting to smell like a cross between a gymnasium locker room and a petting zoo. You can almost see the stink rising off of the sleeping, fur-clad Norwegian. The horse- whom you have yet to name- drops a load of road apples on the living room floor. He's apparently starting to feel at home around you.

The first watch is cold and bored. If it wasn't so cold, though, they'd probably be asleep at their posts by now.

Next Moves?
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 701 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 17:20
Re: Night
Mariusz returned to Mihn and said, "All the doors are locked, we could break in or we could try another house. Or we could do it the old way, but cutting down trees at night in the winter is asking for trouble and if this place has been inhabited most of teh easy fuel will have been foraged. A house is probably the best bet, we can take down doors and rip up floorboards more easily than blundering around in the woods. What do you think we should do?"
Steven Drew
 player, 247 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 17:50
Re: The Spoils
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
"So Tuck, what do ya think we're gonna do next?"

Tucker returns the smile to Drew as he sits down near him.  "Ah, Maxwell house huh?  Shit was good when you could get it off the shelf.  Now, tastes like it's drained through someone's boot sock after a long hump!"

Drew:

  "Hey now, it ain't got that much flavor now days.  And ya know what, you'd even settle for the chikory and burnt acorns they use.  Hell, that'd go down kinda good about now man.  I gotta score a MRE somewhere, get some folgers, that'd be the shit.  Then save the cocoa for a night like this."

When Drew offers up his pack after he asked for a smoke, Tucker catches the pack, takes one, then throws it back over to Drew.  "Good looking out Drew.  As long as it's good enough for a Leatherneck, it's good enough for me!"

Drew:
"Hell, if ya want something stronger I got a couple of their paproskii thingys.  A bit stronger than a regular smoke, kinda like a mini cigar."  As Drew reaches for the pack of primative cigars.


Tucker smokes the cigarette as he watches the Marine filed strip his weapon and replies to him, "Damned if I know Drew.  Personally, I think we should head back after we clobbered those guys back at the other farm.  WE had to much gear that could've went to good use back at G-K, that little fag Apel ran off to tell whoever that we were out there, and some of the reiders got away.  Honestly, I think Konrad is still going to take us in to try and hook up with friendlies in Warsaw.  I don't think we would've come out this way if we weren't still going there.  Who knows, we migh get snowed in here!"
</quote>

Drew:

"Yeah its pretty much been a clusterfuck from the start.  We got made almost as soon as we off loaded, and we offloaded way before they planed.  Then fuckers followed us.  Not like they could figure out what direction we were going. 

  "I agree about ya on that wheenie Apel, he was a weird fuck ta begin with.  Then dude took a round in the head.  That was some bad mojo, and well you said it about the riders gettin away.  I am surprised the whole countryside isn't on our ass by now.  Not like they don't know we're here now.  Some recon mission.  Then again its a Polish op, so maybe this is their version which is pretty sad and lends truth ta all them Pollack jokes hehehe."  as Drew chuckles.

  "What time you got watch man?"  Drew asks Tucker

  When Drew finds out he will say,

"Here, I'll leave the pack out, help yerself ta a couple ta help keep ya awake before ya go out.  I'm gonna rack out man."  As Drew function checks his weapon working the bolt with a "CLICK...CLICK...CLACK!"

"Nite man."  as Drew rolls over wrapping the blanket around him as he snaps up his sleeping bag.  Within a few minutes, Drew is breathing deep and steadily.

Sgt Drew
M240 cleaned and working w/ 80 rounds  1911A1
Weapon cleaned, him dry and fed, its sleepy time
Craig Sutherland
 player, 112 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 18 Apr 2010
at 06:50
Re: The Spoils

After eating Craig climbs into his sleeping bag and is soon asleep.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 820 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 18 Apr 2010
at 16:01
Re: The Spoils
Tucker smokes the cigarette as he watches the Marine filed strip his weapon and replies to him, "Damned if I know Drew.  Personally, I think we should head back after we clobbered those guys back at the other farm.  We had to much gear that could've went to good use back at G-K, that little fag Apel ran off to tell whoever that we were out there, and some of the reiders got away.  Honestly, I think Konrad is still going to take us in to try and hook up with friendlies in Warsaw.  I don't think we would've come out this way if we weren't still going there.  Who knows, we might get snowed in here!"

Robert inhales then exhales on the cigarette as he continues his conversation with Drew.  "Seems like that it's been a cluster fuck for us for awhile now.  We've pulled off some good missions but, the cost in personel has been high.  I like Konrad and would follow him into the Kremlin itself if he wanted to do something stupid like that.  He's one of the few original crew with us left after we left Krakow.  I don't know about you but, I think we've been extremely lucky so far.  It might be better that we lost the weenie to desertion.  Might've gotten someone who had a good head on their shoulders shot to shit.  Easy with the Polish jokes Drew, you got the son of Poland around and he might take offense to your statement," Tucker tells Steve in a lowered voice.

Tucker looks at his watch, "It's zero-dark-thirty Marine.  You need to get some beauty sleep!  I got watch with Dawid in a couple of hours.  If I do take you up, I'll only take another one or two and put the smokes back in your pack.  I want to break down this H&K real quick to makes sure the suppressor is good and still fits right.  See you in the morning."

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:20, Sun 18 Apr 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1766 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 18 Apr 2010
at 20:01
Re: The Spoils
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #321):

Dawid was waiting for a response by Maruisz and Mihn.

As he waited, he checked on Diter's backpack radio the frequency that the Baron's troops' radio was set at, see if there was anything to intercept. It was possible that the Baron would be calling them for some kind of status report.

Mockingly, Dawid turned and shook his fist at Drew in jest.

"After hearing some "Polish jokes", I think they are the same as the "American jokes" we tell. I mean, do American submarines have screen doors on them? Or are your firing squads really arranged in a circle?"

This was said rhetorically, as it was obvious Tuck and Drew weren't in the mood for conversation over much-needed sleep. There wasn't much more to do before he needed to go to sleep himself.

The last thing was to contact the Queen, to update them on their status and find out if the truck made it back.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:06, Sun 18 Apr 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 248 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sun 18 Apr 2010
at 20:26
Re: The Spoils
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #322):


Drew smiles at the joke.  Then he replies,

"Well them navy dudes can be pretty slow." 

Sgt Drew
M240 w/80 rounds and 1911
More smoking and joking

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1769 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 18 Apr 2010
at 20:35
Re: The Spoils
In reply to Steven Drew (msg #323):

Fiddling with the radio's dial, Dawid thought this over. He then conceded the obviousness of the point.

"You win, Mister Drew!"

Truth to tell, Dawid was finding being a real NCO a real chore. WP-trained military forces tended to completely discount or lack a trained NCO class, relying instead on their officer corps to do the heavy lifting and maintain the reservoir of technical skills and expertise that kept a military unit functional.

Yawning, he allowed himself one of his precious cigarettes, here in the warmth and darkness of the blacked-out kitchen.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1757 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 19 Apr 2010
at 23:38
The Rooster

Sunday, October 22nd, 2000
0500 hrs.
30F
Overcast
Moderate breeze from the N
Approximately 30km east of Warsaw, Poland



Mariusz and Minh decide to abandon their attempt to gain entry in the locked and possibly occupied church. Instead, they find another house whose owners neglected to lock the front door. Once again, the furniture is intact. They smash up a couple of kitchen chairs and return to the team's shelter with the additional firewood bundled in a captured horse blanket.

The rest of you dry off, eat, pull your watch, and try to sleep. For most of you, this is not difficult. Between the irritants of Thor's stench, Drew's loud snoring, and your own private nightmares, some of you sleep more fitfully.

The night passes slowly and uneventfully. At some point during the night, the snow stops falling.

At around 0500, just as the pair on watch are returning to the cottage to wake the others for morning stand-to, those of you who are still sleeping are woken abruptly by a scream. To those inside, it is very loud; to those outside, it is somewhat muffled.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:06, Tue 20 Apr 2010.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 823 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 20 Apr 2010
at 00:05
Re: The Rooster
With some dry clothes, warm shelter, food, and some sleep, Tucker makes his way outside just before 0400 to start his two hour watch with his not so thought about Pole, Dawid.  He knows what he has to do and it's only two hours with him and besides, what could go wrong....

As 0500 rolls around, Tucker tries to keep moving around to keep from freezing and is just about to go over to Dawid to see how he's doing to break up the boredom of guard duty when he hears an audible scream coming from inside the cabin.  Robert looks back from the noise to Dawid and motions for him to follow towards the cabin.  Tucker goes for his silenced pistol as he hits one side of the doorway and is sure that he will go to the other side.  Once they're both in position, he will nod him and say, "You get the door and follow me in!  Good?"

Tucker
H&K SOCOM Pistol [12/12] [Suppressed]
Slung M-16A2 [29/30] / M-203 [HE]
Moving in to investigate what's going on inside

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:06, Tue 20 Apr 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 87 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Tue 20 Apr 2010
at 01:07
Re: The Rooster
Awaking with a start, Thor's held a H&K USP-9SD pistol in his right hand and a heavy bayonet in the other. Shaking the crick out of his neck, he peered into the gloom, attempting to see past the horse and what had caused him to waken so rudely.

Thor
Waking and arming
USP-9SD pistol (15/15) +3 mags
Bayonet
Another half tonne of weapons & ammo in his webbing

Steven Drew
 player, 249 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Tue 20 Apr 2010
at 06:09
Re: The Rooster
Drew sits upright wide awake with his pistol in hand and his other hand grasping the carrying handle of his M240.  He looks around to get his bearings.

"What the fuck's goin on?" he asks.

Sgt Drew
M1911A1 drawn and 240 in hand
Awake, getting bearings

Craig Sutherland
 player, 113 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 20 Apr 2010
at 08:14
Re: The Rooster

Craig had just reached the door as the scream echoed around the room. Putting his AK to his shoulder as he turned he brought it to bear on the source of the noise.


AKS-47U (45/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
Fire Support Element
Aiming at source of scream

This message was last edited by the player at 10:01, Tue 20 Apr 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1772 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 20 Apr 2010
at 08:17
Re: The Rooster
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #326):

Instantly alert, Dawid picked up his borrowed AK and chambered a round (but left the grenade launcher unloaded) He then followed Tucker wherever the man was going. Dawid took the other side of the door, then nodded at the instructions.

Their boots made footprints in the few cms of snow. When the day warmed up, it would likely melt.

Getting ready to open it with one hand, he shrugged and made a questioning look, pointing a thumb at the house in general. This really the place?


Dawid
AK-74/BG-15 (30/30, 0/0)
Stechkin (21/20)
Taking the other side of the doorway where Tucker is located, getting ready to open it.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:21, Tue 20 Apr 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 440 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 20 Apr 2010
at 10:16
Re: The Rooster
Jan had been sleeping soundly when the scream woke him.  He reacted relatively quickly, rolling off his sleeping bag and grabbing at his webbing.  It took him a couple of seconds to extract his Sig Sauer from its holster - he had only had the pistol and its drop leg holster for a day or so and he wasn't used to drawing it quickly yet.

Now with his pistol in hand he pushed himself up into a kneeling position and cocked the weapon before scanning around the room, looking for the source of the scream.  It had been so loud he was convinced that the scream must have come from inside the room!

He kept his index finger alongside the cocked pistol, not placing it on the trigger immediately as he scanned around.  There were a lot of them closely packed together inside this house and the danger of friendly fire was large!  As he scanned around he dropped the aim of his pistol towards the floor as he passed over friendly targets.


Jan
Looking for the source of the scream with pistol in hand, kneeling beside the rest of his weapons and webbing.
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15)

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 703 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 20 Apr 2010
at 16:33
Re: The Rooster
When Mariusz returned to the house, Mariusz piled the firewood by the fire and then said to Bayer, "Sir, I thought we might check out the church for firewood but it was locked and alarmed, there may be people in there."
After his report he returned, tired and worn to his own needs. He quicly stripped off his gear and squatted near the fire in his under wear. He emptied his pouches and used the drier of his clothes to absorb any moisture they'd trapped. He then reloaded his pouches and dried out his body armour. That done he put on his spare fatigues and then saw to his wet gear. He vigorously screwed up his over whites and then hung up the wrung out cloth on the washing line. He also hung out his other gear to dry before stripping again and towel drying himself.

He dressed carefully, making sure his layers were all dry and had air captured between them. He helped with the food and ate his share.

Once he was ready to sleep he lay his shelter half on the floor and then lay his overwhites which had dried below his sleeping bag. He squirmed into his sleeping bag and pulled his wollen hat down over his eyes. That done he fastened the shelter half around him and went to sleep.

He awoke to the scream and thought, shit, is that hairy moron fucking the horse?
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1186 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 20 Apr 2010
at 16:43
Re: The Rooster
Still lying down, Bayer reaches for his P7 and says very quietly, "Stand to." He then sits up and looks around, "Who's on sentry?" After being told, he grabs for his radio, "Frank, Sunray. Sitrep. Over." While he waits for reply, he says, "Where did that scream come from?"

If there is no quick reply over the radio, Bayer says, "Jan, Warren, clear the upstairs and report back. Quyen, Sutherland, clear the main floor and check if there is a cellar we missed."

"Anything seen out the windows?" he asks the rest of the team.

* If there is a quick radio reply or something else that adds a little more info to what's going on, the second half of Bayer's actions may not happen.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:43, Tue 20 Apr 2010.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 44 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Tue 20 Apr 2010
at 18:26
Re: The Rooster
Warren is instantly awake at the scream, and almost as fast is out of his sleeping bag.  He grabs his AK, but when instructed to clear the attic, he slings it over his shoulder, and draws his pistol.  He nods first at Jan to show he understands his assignment, and then up the ladderwell.  He also reholsters his pistol, and brings his AK to bear at the ceiling.  He gestures to show that he will cover Jan as he moves up, ready to shoot through the ceiling into the attic if necessary.

He says in a low tone, <Blue>"Go, you're covered.  If you see something duck back down, and I'll spray the overhead."


Ghost
Covering Jan
AK-103 (24/30)

Jan Cerny
 player, 441 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 20 Apr 2010
at 21:41
Re: The Rooster
Jan nodded in response to Konrad's orders and Warren's gestures with his AK.  Turning back to his webbing he quickly popped open a pouch and pulled out his flashlight.  He briefly considered grabbing a spare mag for his pistol but figured that that was pointless.  If something was still moving after he'd fired fifteen rounds then it was Warren's problem to deal with with his AK.

Moving quickly up to the ladderwell he climbed up the access Craig had set up to get into the attic.  He then quickly flicked on the flashlight and held it side by side with his pistol before scanning around the attic ready to fire at anything threatening.


Jan
Searching the attic with Warren
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15)

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1762 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 20 Apr 2010
at 23:43
Re: The Rooster

Groggy and more than a bit put out after an abrupt and somewhat panicked wakeup call, you realize the source of the scream.

Dieter raises his hand and exclaims somewhat sheepishly, "It's OK... it's OK. I am sorry. It was me. I had, er... I had a bad dream. It's OK. I... I'm sorry."

A blue-on-blue shoot out is thereby narrowly avoided. It was just about time for stand-to anyhow, you tell yourself. You too have had demon-haunted dreams on occasion. It's hard to fault the man.

You look outside. There's at least four inches of snow on the ground. The sky is still grey, albeit a shade lighter. It would be picturesque if it were a postcard. The reality of yesterday's hard march through the blizzard that created this landscape is still fresh in your memory.

Next Moves?

OOC: Time to plan and prep your departure.
Steven Drew
 player, 250 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Wed 21 Apr 2010
at 02:50
Re: The Rooster

  Drew:

  "Fuck man, thought this place was haunted or some shit."  As he looks at the dying embers of the fire.

"Someone stoke up the fire some.  I gotta take a piss."  As Drew moves into the other room his blanket wrapped around him.  He moves to the door way and a moment later you hear the,

"Pssssssssssssss"  and some laughing as he spells out,

"D....R.....E...come on.....DU-Ba-Uuuuuuuuu. Hahahaha!"

  A second later Drew comes into the kitchen,

"Damn its cold out there."  As he climbs back into his still warm sleeping bag.

"Next time man, try drinking like the rest of us.  Ya drink, pass out and no dreams."

  With some movement and a few "Ah's"  the movement stops and a light snoring resumes.

Sgt Drew
M1911A1 in a shoulder holster <yes he went to sleep with it on this time>
Getting comfy and returning to sleep

Dieter Brandt
 player, 98 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Wed 21 Apr 2010
at 05:54
Re: The Rooster
Dieter looked around at the group, embarrassed by his outburst.

It had been a while since the nightmares had affected him, but the fight earlier that day had brought it all back to him. Knowing that sleep wouldn't come again, he got up and started to prep his kit, too embarrassed to make eye contact with the group.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 114 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 21 Apr 2010
at 06:24
Re: The Rooster

Realising the scream came from one of his own team members, Craig quickly lowers his rifle. The wide eyed look of surprise on the man's face indicated to Craig more then enough.

He open the door and nearly ran into Tucker and Dawid.

”All clear, bad dream.”

He tells them as he walks past. Taking up his position he drops his pack and scans the horizon with his field glasses, he spends several minutes watching the direction of the farm house they left earlier.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1776 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 21 Apr 2010
at 09:43
Re: The Rooster
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #336):

Outside, Dawid stamped out Drew's name in the snow.

"This is a violation of security! Consider yourself on report." Said with a straight face, nonetheless it was obvious he was joking.

Tired after the too-short night, Dawid went inside and stoked the fire using the wood that had been gather the night before, putting on some more tea for breakfast.

"Can someone who knows something about radios see what frequency the captured one is set at, and listen in on the Baron's channel?"
Jan Cerny
 player, 444 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 21 Apr 2010
at 21:20
Re: The Rooster
Jan had packed the captured broken radio set into a backpack on the bike before they'd left the farm so he took it upon himself to follow Dawid's request.  He dug the radio out and checked again the frequency it was set to before moving to the manpack radio Dieter had been carrying and tuning it to the correct frequency.  He put the headset on and started listening in while continuing to do other routine tasks such as refilling his rifle's magazine.

"Konrad," he asked.  "What's the plan.  Are we moving on soon or resting up here until nightfall and setting out then?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1763 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 22 Apr 2010
at 00:07
Re: The Rooster

Jan tunes one of the team's manpack radios to the frequency that the captured short range hand-held was set at. There doesn't appear to be any radio traffic at the moment. Either the Baron's forces aren't using the radio at the moment or the frequency is off. The captured radio looks like its previous owner probably fell on it when he was shot off of his horse. Perhaps the dial was jostled a couple of ticks in the process...
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 824 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 22 Apr 2010
at 00:35
Re: The Rooster
Tucker storms in the door and is stopped by Sutherland when he hears it was a false alarms and a nightmare.  He sighs deeply when it is a false alarm and flips the safety back on the H&K pistol.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 89 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Thu 22 Apr 2010
at 04:10
Re: The Rooster
Sighing heavily once the cause of the disruption is discovered, Thor returned to his rather uncomfortable bed. This time however he made the effort to strip off his external layers of furs, webbing and body armour, carefully laying them out where they could be quickly grabbed. A heavyweight civilian sleeping bag exploded from within it's place inside his Norwegian issue pack as it rapidly decompressed.
"No wake me...."
Moments later he was fast asleep again, pistol still clutched in one hand and bayonet in the other.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1187 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 22 Apr 2010
at 04:46
Re: The Rooster
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Can someone who knows something about radios see what frequency the captured one is set at, and listen in on the Baron's channel?"


"It's probably unfortunately too late. They likely go to alternative frequency if a radio is lost or compromised." Bayer says quietly as nothing is heard.

Jan Cerny:
"Konrad," he asked.  "What's the plan.  Are we moving on soon or resting up here until nightfall and setting out then?"


"Well... we've always intended on moving at night. And now the Baron knows there is a hostile party somewhere in the countryside. I think we should rest up and continue at night." Bayer answers.

"What do you think - day or night?" he asks Jan and anyone else around (who were still awake).

This message was last edited by the player at 04:49, Thu 22 Apr 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 445 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 22 Apr 2010
at 07:16
Re: The Rooster
Jan thought briefly before answering Konrad.

"I think that we should stay here for the day and rest up before moving on again tonight once it's dark.  All of us could probably do with more sleep and some more hot food before we set off and I think that we need the cover of dark to conceal us from observation.  While we stay here for the day we should have two people who speak Polish monitoring a backpack radio each with one set to the frequency the captured radio was on and the other set to a slightly different one in case the dial was knocked in the ambush.  It's doubtful that we'll pick up anything but the Baron's troops might get sloppy."


He glanced around the small cottage thinking of a couple of other things.

"I think that we're far enough away from the ambush site to mean that we're outside the area of an immediate search, should the Baron order that."
  It went unsaid that they still need to keep guards on watch.  "The only threat that needs to be assessed is whoever's barricaded in the Church that Mariusz and Minh investigated.  Maybe a couple of people who look like Polish stragglers should investigate further and try to make contact if there's anyone there.  It might be that we can get some intel off some locals."

He glanced again at the broken captured radio.

"The last thing is to try the batteries from this in the NVGs that went dead last night.  Oh, and when we move again tonight I think that we should avoid using NVGs.  We're all capable of traveling at night and we should save the NVGs for when they're needed."

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1777 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 22 Apr 2010
at 07:28
Re: The Rooster
In reply to Jan Cerny (msg #346):

"I think Thor would be happy to volunteer, Jan! No, just kidding. I'll go to the Church, if Poles or those who look like them are needed. Mariusz is always a good idea, although you or someone who speaks Polish would be a good idea instead."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 46 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Thu 22 Apr 2010
at 07:31
Re: The Rooster
As the all clear is sounded, Jeff sets his rifle back down, and proceeds immediately back into his warm sleeping bag.  Within seconds he is out, but his last thoughts can't help but be amused by his new squadleader's sleep habits.

He does murmur "If we're sleeping in, wake me at 1000, or if anyone else needs help falling asleep..."

This message was last edited by the player at 07:32, Thu 22 Apr 2010.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 825 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 22 Apr 2010
at 13:47
Re: The Rooster
"Well, if yer giving us an option, I vote for staying for the day and moving out at night.  We could all use some more rest and hot chow boss," Tucker replies to Bayer's induiry.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 704 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 22 Apr 2010
at 15:37
Re: The Rooster
Mariusz stretched and said, "I'd vote for staying here and getting some more sleep. We should also try to contact the defectors by radio if we can."

He looked at the horsemeat they had left and thought about how it could be used, "If we are going to check out the church I'd be happy to go. In the meantime I'll get breakfast on the go."

He pulled out the last of the tobasco and Worchestershire sauce taht he'd stashed in his MRE pouch and added some of the horsefat he'd reserved to make a marinade and cut come of the leaner meat into chunks for kebabs.

He looked up, "Horsemeat kebabs for breakfast and I'll stuff the steaks with black bread and some of the dried fruit. There's enough left for me to make patties as well, we can either freeze those or offer them to the people in the church, if there are any."
Jan Cerny
 player, 447 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 22 Apr 2010
at 19:56
Re: The Rooster
"Someone who speaks Polish needs to monitor the radio," Jan commented to those around him.  "The Baron's troops have always sounded sloppy to me and we might well get lucky and hear some early morning radio chatter from someone trying to check on the unit we ambushed."

Passing over the headset for the manpack radio to someone else Jan then started re-equipping himself.  Rather than putting his US Marine combat jacket back on though he helped himself to Jared's old Red Army winter field jacket to better look the part.  It was warmer as well and that was bound to be a good thing!

Now fully equipped Jan then turned to Dawid.  "OK, I'm ready to back you up checking out if someone is hiding out in the Church.  I think that we should go and keep watch for a while before approaching the doors.  Anyone else want to join us?" he asked those around him.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1779 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 22 Apr 2010
at 20:12
Re: The Rooster
In reply to Jan Cerny (msg #351):

Dawid nodded, looking up at the ceiling.

"Is the position in the attic facing the church?"

There was no way to cover up the UK-issue Kevlar vest, but at least he could make sure his Polish fatigues were visible underneath them. He made sure his Free Polish armband was visible, and instead of the UK helmet he'd "borrowed" from Mad he wore his green Polish army beret. Instead of the borrowed NATO winter coat, he put on a sweater and wore thermal leggings to keep out the cold, which wasn't too bad. Lastly, he got his borrowed AK-74/BG-15, and ammo harness with 6 spare magazines and 4x 40mm grenades.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:39, Fri 23 Apr 2010.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1188 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 23 Apr 2010
at 02:04
Re: The Rooster
Bayer nods, "Good. Stay it is."

Then turning to Dawid he says, "Keep the sentry roster going. Go ahead with the church but other than that, restrict outside movements as much as possible."

Bayer then returns to his still warm sleeping bag. He'll sleep until 1000 hrs.
Minh Quyen
 player, 489 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 23 Apr 2010
at 03:26
Re: The Rooster
Quyen follows Tucker's lead, in that when she isn't on sentry she cares for her weapons and tries to dry out her clothes. Both of which need plenty of attention due to the freezing rain.

"Watch for booby traps." she mumbles to anyone going to the church. "It's wired with early warning devices... as the person probably doesn't want any uninvited visitors."
Dieter Brandt
 player, 100 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Fri 23 Apr 2010
at 06:11
Re: The Rooster
Dieter went to help Mariusz with preparing breakfast. He wasn't that hungry, but wanted to get involved with a mundane task away from the main group, afraid of the ridicule he might have been subjected to. Soldiers were notorious for mercilessly abusing their friends and colleagues if a weakness is exposed, and Dieter had embarrassed himself during the night when the nightmares had returned. He was keen to be out of the way for a while, and Mariusz seemed like a good kid who wouldn't rib him too much.

He approached Mariusz in the kitchen area, not saying anything. He cleaned his hunting knife as best he could, and started chopping the meat into cubes. "Kebabs for breakfast sounds good to me," he ventured, trying to start up a gentle conversation. "Any onions in here?" he continued, looking around the kitchen area. "We could fry them off and add them to the marinade."

Once the meat was done he put a pan of water on to boil. Some good strong coffee would be nice, although they would probably have to settle for the MRE crap unless somebody volunteered some good stuff. Once it was brewed he called out, loud enough for those inside to hear, "coffee! Bring your own mugs!"

This message was last edited by the player at 06:11, Fri 23 Apr 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1784 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 23 Apr 2010
at 08:01
Re: The Rooster
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #353):

"I'll think of a watch schedule from now until 2000, when I would assume we move out."

On his way out, he detoured through the kitchen and clapped Dieter on the shoulder to show him support, but didn't say anything.

Instead, he addressed Mariusz, "Jan and I are checking out the church. You and Sutherland are part of our element, so I trust you'll be the our immediate backup. In the mean time, do monitor the Baron's channels for now, yes? Sutherland worked for the Baron, as I recall, so he may have some knowledge on their communications procedures and operating frequencies."

"Sutherland, mind keeping a watch outside for the moment? We're going to be busy, don't want our attention to wander and have some of the Baron's men sneak up on us!"

He helped himself to a couple kilos of raw horsemeat as a peace offering.

Dawid replied to the murmured warning, "thanks for the information, Minh. I guess we'll just knock on the door, see who answers."

As Dawid opened the door, letting in a cool wet breeze, he pulled out a white pillowcase and got ready to hold it up as they approached the church.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:57, Fri 23 Apr 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 104 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Fri 23 Apr 2010
at 08:04
Re: The Rooster
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
On his way out, he detoured through the kitchen and clapped Dieter on the shoulder to show him support, but didn't say anything.


Dieter smiled weakly at Dawid's gesture. He appreciated it, and was glad that Dawid hadn't said anything.
Jan Cerny
 player, 449 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 23 Apr 2010
at 20:08
Re: The Rooster
Exiting the cottage, Jan led the way across to the Church.  As they approached however he found himself a good vantage point to cover Dawid while the Pole went to knock on the door.  He tried to position himself where he could fire through the doorway should the person opening it be aggressive towards Dawid.

While Dawid approached however he scanned the upper parts of the Church, looking to see if whoever was inside the building had a lookout point up high.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1767 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 23 Apr 2010
at 23:40
Meet the Neighbors

Jan and Dawid approach the church. Their boots crunch through the nearly half-foot of snow that covers the ground. Unlike the ashy, grey snow of the last couple of winters, this snow is mostly clean white. Aside from the tracks of the evening's sentries, the snow is undisturbed.

The gate in the low wall that surrounds the village church is still open, its collection of noise-makers lying half burried by a snowdrift.

Jan takes a knee behind the wall and covers Dawid as he walks towards church's main entrance. Holding his white flag in one fist, he knocks on the old wooden door with the other.

"Hello? I am Dawid Piotrowksi of the Home Army. My friends and I are not bandits or slavers. I only wish to speak with you. We are seeking information about Warsaw and we have food and medicine and are willing to share for your trouble. Please open the door."

He stands there a full two minutes, awaiting a response. None comes. At one point, he's almost certain that he can hear the sounds of movements coming from behind the doors but, as soon as he's sure that he's not imagining it, it stops.

Back at the cottage, the radio tuned to the frequency you suspect is being used by the Baron squawks to life,

(In Polish:)"All units, this is the Raven. Tune to frequency B. This channel may be compromised. I repeat, all units, tune to frenquency B immediately. Prepare for coms check on frequency B. Do not acknowledge on this channel. Tune to frequency B now. Raven OUT."

Next Moves?
Steven Drew
 player, 252 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sat 24 Apr 2010
at 01:48
Re: Meet the Neighbors

  Drew snuggles in his sleeping bag.  Aware members of the team are checking the church.  He thinks he should have offered the axe but dismisses it.  "There loss, they should have asked."  He hears the radio but has no clue.  But lately, radio traffic has never been good.

"Shit." He whispers

  As he rolls over and goes back to sleep, resting his hand on his machinegun.


Sgt Drew
M1911 and M240 w/80 rounds
Trying to return to sleep to prepare for the times to come.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1785 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 24 Apr 2010
at 02:35
Re: Meet the Neighbors
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #359):

Dawid shrugged and looked over at Jan.

They were there to announce their presence. They had done so. There was no response. Having no particular reason to break into the church and seeing no obvious threat, he hung the pillowcase with 2kg of horsemeat on the church door.

"Please take this food as a token of our good will. We mean you no harm, and trust you mean us none as well. In the name of the Sacred Madonna of Częstochowa and her son, Jesus Christ, peace be with you and may the Lord protect and guide you."

He said to Jan, "come on my friend, let's go back. Some lazy bastards were going back to sleep. It's bloody stand-to! Time to rise and do the chores, as we say on the farm."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:35, Sat 24 Apr 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 453 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 24 Apr 2010
at 08:46
Re: Meet the Neighbors
Jan nodded in reply to Dawid.  Once they moved back towards their cottage and were out of hearing range of the Church he added.

"Let's see what result your gift generates.  We need to keep someone watching this Church as part of the guard roster, though I doubt that they'll be able to see both entrances.  The observation point Craig set up may help though.  Also if the people in the Church come out to look around they're going to find where we are.  There is no way we can disguise our tracks in the snow.  Let's hope there is another snowfall today!"


Upon his arrival back at the Church Jan asked whoever was monitoring the radio.  "Any luck?"
Craig Sutherland
 player, 116 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 24 Apr 2010
at 09:28
Re: Meet the Neighbors

Craig was up when Dawid and Jan left, so he climbed up to OP in the attic he had prepared earlier. He followed them visually through the forest and covered Dawid from his elevated position as he knocked on the church door.

When he saw they where clear of the church he met them on his way to take up his watch location.

”Do you think anyone is using the church ?”

Craig then starts his turn at sentry duty scanning the immediate area with his field glasses and the direction of the farm they left the night before. As the sky begins to lighten he tries to visually locate a wood pile and get a better idea of his surroundings.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1789 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 24 Apr 2010
at 10:01
Re: Meet the Neighbors
In reply to Craig Sutherland (msg #363):

Being considerate, Dawid made sure the noisemakers were set up properly and able to work.

When they got back he replied, "yes. I'm sure I heard someone inside. It's still a while until stand-to and then breakfast. Do you want to sleep some more?"
Jan Cerny
 player, 456 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 24 Apr 2010
at 12:57
Re: Meet the Neighbors
"As we're staying here for the day I'm fine for duties as necessary," Jan replied to Dawid.  "I'll get some sleep when there isn't anything else to be doing but the few hours I've had so far have taken the edge off it."

He was still tired though and intended to be sleeping whenever he could, though eating was also a priority!
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 706 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 24 Apr 2010
at 14:06
Re: Meet the Neighbors
"I couldn't find any onions," Mariusz said, "otherwise that would be an excellent idea, instead I'm going to catch as much of the kebab fat as I can in the drip tray and soak thin slices of the black bread in the last of the marinade, then I'll fry off the bread which will make it more paletable than it would be, plus it'll bulk up the calorie count."

He sighed, "If it was spring we could search for wild garlic and wood sorrel. Now, we have to make do."

He looked over at Jan and said, "If someone can find a big tin tub or bath we could was our overwhites, they'll be grubby and bloody by now."
Jan Cerny
 player, 457 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 24 Apr 2010
at 20:45
Re: Meet the Neighbors
Jan nodded at Mariusz' request and looked around for someone who could search for a bathtub or other large bucket.  He would have done it himself but he wanted to find out what had happened with the radio.

Spotting Minh apparently unoccupied he chose her.  "Minh, please can you do us a favour and find a bathtub or something similar that any of the bloody overwhites can be washed in?"

He then moved over to the radio to find out about any radio traffic.  Discovering that there had been some he noted the time that the signal had come through and then started flicking round other frequencies trying to get lucky and find their alternate frequency.

"I reckon that we should try some checking of other frequencies again at the same time tomorrow morning.  It's unlikely that they've got strong enough batteries to keep their radios on at all times so I'd expect them to have a standard reporting window where they turn their sets on.  Changing that will be hard and we now know a time point within that window."

He twiddled the dial further, continuing to check random frequencies.

"We also know that they're aware that they've lost a radio and that their radio net might well be compromised.  That also tells us that they are well disciplined and organised, both of which are bad news!"

Unless he got lucky with further transmissions Jan quickly gave up and got his head down for some further sleep after eating some of Mariusz' horse kebabs and taking his turn on guard duty.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 117 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 24 Apr 2010
at 21:23
Re: Meet the Neighbors

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
When they got back he replied, "yes. I'm sure I heard someone inside. It's still a while until stand-to and then breakfast. Do you want to sleep some more?"


"No I should be fine, I'll probably get a couple more hours in the afternoon if I'm able to. Thanks."

He then thought for a bit;

"We have a good line of sight from the attic to the church if we can spare someone it mite be wise to have a set of eyes on it just to make sure they are not military."

With that he moves off to start his watch.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1791 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 24 Apr 2010
at 22:10
Re: Meet the Neighbors
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #366):

He replied to Mariusz, "I'll have a look inside this house. See if there is a wash tub. Good work! Breakfast will be splendid, I can tell."

"Sutherland, good luck on your watch. If one of you (Jan or Thor) wants to go in the attic to keep close watch on the Church, sort that out between you. Remember, no firing unless there's a clear threat."


"Jan, don't worry about the radio, now they know they're being listened-to. At least we have confirmed their knowledge of their patrol being eliminated."

Making sure his hands were empty and he wasn't standing over the man, Dawid awoke Thor for his watch. He looked around the house for a wash tub, checked the feedbag on the horse, and got ready to nap a little before official stand-to.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 108 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Sun 25 Apr 2010
at 08:38
Re: Meet the Neighbors
Dieter heard Dawid's conversation with Craig, and volunteered, "I will go to the attic. Can someone call me when breakfast is ready, or just bring me some up."

Without waiting for a reply from either man, he headed off to the stairs and climbed up into the attic. It would be good to get some alone time, especially after the night-time incident. Hopefully, he could get some peace and quiet up there, and nobody would rib him later when he came down.

The attic was dusty, with a dull smell of mouldy old wood. It was a solid enough building, but was in need of a bit of renovation. There was a lot of junk lying around here - bits of old furniture, a box of children's toys and a few other odds and ends. "It might be worth having a scavenge before we leave," he thought.

Finding a good spot to settle in, he made himself as comfortable as possible. He pulled over an old wooden box to use as a chair, and sat down. The box was sturdy enough, especially for someone of Dieter's slender frame. Once seated, he trained his rifle on the church tower, making sure he had a good view of the main door and the tower, and checking for a side door as well. The meat that Dawid had left on the door was still there, untouched.

Dieter chuckled to himself. "Maybe the smell of the meat will attract a wolf or a bear," he thought. "That would certainly liven up the day."

With that he settled in to his watch, keeping an eye out for movement at the church and the surrounding environment. If he was to see anything he would call downstairs to alert his colleagues, as he had left the radio downstairs for the team to monitor radio frequencies.

Dieter Brandt
In attic, watching the church and surrounding environment
PSG-1 (20/20) - will replace the magazine
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers

This message was last edited by the player at 08:41, Sun 25 Apr 2010.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1769 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 25 Apr 2010
at 14:43
Back to the Road

Sunday, October 22nd, 2000
1800 hrs.
30F
Overcast
Light breeze from the N
Approximately 30km east of Warsaw, Poland



Dieter climbs up into the attic and moves to the hole in the roof that Craig made. The cottage's central axis (long-ways) runs from NW to SE. The attic OP (i.e. the hole in the roof) faces SW. From there, you can see from roughly 10-o'clock to 4- o'clock (with due north being 12 o'clock). From this vantage point, he has a fairly good view of the church. As he watches, one of the front doors swings slowly outwards just enough so that a slender arm can reach the sack full of horsemeat. The arm and the bag withraw back into the church and the door swings shut.

The rest of you spend your time in various leisurely activities- sleeping, cooking, eating, cleaning your weapons, etc. A more thorough search of the house (including the attic) turns up nothing worth taking. Dawid spends some time taking care of the as-yet-to-be-named horse. The horse seems to appreciate the care and attention.

There is no more activity on what you assume was the Black Legion's "frequency A". Shortly before 1000 hours, Warren steps outside with his Soviet made radio. He rigs a booster antenna to the set and waits for Johnstone's call. He doesn't have to wait long- Johnstone, for all his quirks, is nothing if not punctual.


The various daytime watches pass uneventfully. The clouds that blot out the sky have lightened somewhat in color, if not thickness, and there is more snow falls during the day.

The sun is setting in the west. With the persistent cloud cover, it grows dark very quickly. You're belly's full, you feel physically and mentally fresh, and your clothes have dried out. They smell like woodsmoke which, for some of you, is a big improvement. You repack your gear and prepare to move out. A quick test run with the unladen bike reveals that it will be nearly impossible to move through the snow once it's loaded with gear. The as-yet-to-be-named horse will have no such trouble. There is only enough feed, however, for another 24 hours or so.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:01, Sun 25 Apr 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1793 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 25 Apr 2010
at 20:40
Re: Back to the Road
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #371):

At stand-to, Dawid went around and made sure all personnel were awake and fed before dawn broke. After, he outlined a watch schedule. Monitoring the Baron's radio frequency wasn't a priority after they changed their response, so that was only done for a few minutes.

Once the schedule for the day was set, Dawid fed and groomed the horse, which he decided to name "Anya", after an old girlfriend. He cleaned up the manure from inside to keep things sanitary, and took the horse for a short walk in the yard behind the house, opposite the direction of the farmhouse. He also let it forage in the snow. Afterwards, he checked out the bicycle, seeing if the tires were and spokes were doing okay, as well as the hand-brakes.

Having napped as much as he could, he also set aside a four-hour block of time and started to teach Mariusz (and anyone else who was interested) in the art of heavy weapons, starting with the classic mortar and other forms of artillery. They had started weeks before, but such lessons went by the wayside and it was time to start them again.

The snow on the ground was still soft but not melting because the temperature was just below freezing. If the sewer pipes were blocked or frozen, Dawid intended to dig a latrine for team use. Either that, or locate an outhouse! A rural community like this would almost certainly still have such outdoor toilets, even this close to Warszawa.

Covering 3 Periods 0600-1800:
1 Period - Light Work (standing watch, taking care of the horse)
1 Period - Sleep
1 Period - Light Work (teaching)

This message was last edited by the player at 21:12, Sun 25 Apr 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 707 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 25 Apr 2010
at 20:50
Re: Back to the Road
Mariusz saw Dawid mucking the horse out and said, "There's a trick Brother Bear taught me. If you leave the horse shit out on the snow it'll freeze into chips. Then we can carry the chips with us and burn them in emergencies. It stinks but it's better than no fire at a pinch."

Mariusz then sat down to listen to Dawid's lesson on mortars, guns were good so big guns had to be better, it stood to reason really.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1795 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 25 Apr 2010
at 20:57
Re: Back to the Road
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #373):

Grinning, Dawid replied, "shit's something we know a lot about on the farm! It's below freezing outsdei but still too warm to freeze manure in anything less than a day or so. Still, we could do that, can't hurt. We could even take it with us, although the smell could be a problem on the move."

With that, he began teaching with what little he had. It wasn't so bad, really, there was a lot of information that could be imparted with the tables he had with him and some notes.

They finished up at 1800, ready for the evening's tasks and travel.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:00, Sun 25 Apr 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 253 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Mon 26 Apr 2010
at 06:44
Re: Back to the Road

  Drew sits in on the class as a means to pass the time between his regular assignment, napping and having his meals.  All of which were secondary to his cleaning and checking his weapons.

Sgt Drew
M240, 1911
Doing classes and the daily routine

Dieter Brandt
 player, 109 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Mon 26 Apr 2010
at 07:02
Re: Back to the Road
Dieter spent most of the day in the attic, watching the church. It was a dull job, apart from seeing the meat being taken, but he didn't mind. He generally preferred his own company, and had never been the most social of animals.

When lunchtime came he ate alone in the attic, quickly filling his belly with hot meat and bread, and whatever else was on offer. Once done he went back to his vigil, keeping an eye on the church and the surrounding landscape. In the early afternoon he accepted an offer to be relieved, briefing his replacement on what he had seen.

Heading back downstairs he headed outside to the latrine, making best use of the facilities that were available. Afterwards he washed as best he could, and checked on his clothes to make sure all were dry and in good repair. He saw Dawid giving instruction in the use of mortars, and other heavy weapons. He didn't participate, those kinds of weapons didn't interest him.

Locating Konrad, he asked, "Herr Bayer, what is the plan for this evening?"
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 51 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Mon 26 Apr 2010
at 08:06
Re: Back to the Road
Jeff gets up for Stand-to, and after that is finished, crawls right back to sleep.  If he had his way, he'd sleep for the next 24 hours.  The past few days had put a major drain on him.

He did eventually stir in time for his radio message.  He comes back inside, and locates Bayer. "Sir, I made contact with my 'handler.'  They will be moving out in no more than 48 hours, which puts them at the outskirts of Warsaw within 4 to 6 days.  If I may, what is your plan for Warsaw?"

He pauses, but without waiting for an answer, he continues in a low but serious voice,

"My mission is to locate the Baron's food, so that Salesman can direct the 10th into seizing that food.  Now there are a couple things that could make that easier.  First I need to find out where the food is, like I said.  Second, if we can create a diversion so the 10th can move up undetected, that would be great as well.  We may have already done that, but raids can't hurt.  I was planning on giving them the location of the stored weapons, since they could really use them.  Maybe leave the mags here for them to find.  Third, I expect Salesman to authorize me to decapitate the leadership of hostile forces in Warsaw.  The Baron and his commanders' death, plus a show of force by CIA forces should be enough to quell the rest of the men, and even bring them back to the good side.  Again, your assistance in this matter will be greatly rewarded.  If it's money, the CIA will likely give you all at least a million dollars to split amongst yourselves, and maybe more.  There are also still covert supply drops in country, and it wouldn't be difficult to get a special pallet or two for you on the next one.  We could even get you a ride to your homes, or anywhere in the world if you wish.  Despite what you may have heard, the US Government still exists, and still controls a sizable amount of assets."

Jeff waits for the questions from the group, who by now have taken to listening to his speech.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:06, Mon 26 Apr 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 119 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 26 Apr 2010
at 08:30
Re: Back to the Road

The couple of hours Craig had spent on sentry duty had passed without incident. There had not been the anticipated response from the Baron as many had expected. Craig believed the man would consolidate his forces, wait until he felt he had the advantage and then strike. Now not giving him that advantage was the trick.

Once relieved Craig returns to the room in the cottage and has something to eat making sure he thanks whoever prepared it. He then went about getting his gear together and making sure it had dried in front of the fire. Lastly he finished cleaning his weapons.

Once he heard that there was someone in the church he went to find Dawid and suggested that they try again to make contact;

”They accepted the gift, what harm can it do ? Maybe wait until we are about to leave ? They may know more about what happened at the farm house”
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1798 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 26 Apr 2010
at 11:03
Re: Back to the Road
In reply to Craig Sutherland (msg #378):

"It can't hurt. I was thinking of leaving them alone, but we should find out what happened to the people are the farmhouse. Let's you and I go, or maybe I'll take Jan."

He waits for volunteers to come with him to the Church. It was after dark now, the last of the twilight fading into night.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 96 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Mon 26 Apr 2010
at 13:44
Re: Meet the Neighbors
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #369):

With a tap to his foot and a bit more than a little trepidation Dawid woke a sleeping giant. Fortunately for all concerned Thor reacted less violently than expected, simply throwing one of his gloves sleepily at the Pole in a vain attempt to drive away his tormentor.
"G'way," he complained bitterly before another kick at his sleeping bag covered foot forced him awake and upright.

"You use?" Thor inquired of his watch partner Craig once they'd been awake a few minutes, indicating the compact submachinegun he had stored in the top of his pack.
"Mjollnir not so good for close."
Although supremely powerful, it's metre and a half length and near 18 kilogram weight was less than ideal for close quarters.
"Fatle good, but..." he tapped his holstered pistol and shrugged.

During the day Thor took his turn on watch, maintained his equipment and weapons, followed Dieter's lead in washing himself and his clothing best he could, and caught up on as much sleep as he possible. He also turned in the eight AK magazines he'd grabbed to Jan, commenting it was best they were loaded with the other spares than carried on his back.

Before resting however he gathered suitable wood and set about smoking some of the horse meat - by the end of the day he'd prepared and preserved only about half a dozen kilograms, but the thin slices would provide a useful cold meal should they be unable to cook in the next few days.

"No take," he commented on the proposal to carry horse droppings.
"Too smell. Plenty wood."
"Niste bad enough take."
A poke of his bloodied knife indicated the horse.

A little before dusk, he took up his assigned position for stand to and waited. With his skills at stealth and observation he fully expected to be pulled to join the small clearing patrol around their shelter while everyone else waited, ready to repel an attack which probably would not come.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1800 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 26 Apr 2010
at 22:55
Re: Meet the Neighbors
In reply to Thor Halgeirsen (msg #380):

Dawid made sure everyone was ready for dusk, as that was a possible time to be attacked. Not likely, but a good habit to get into at any rate.

Seeing Thor and Sutherland were ready to go, he decided that was enough for a clearing patrol.

"Sutherland, Thor, on me. We're going to check the immediate area, including that Church. I think there's someone in there, but they haven't done anything all day so I don't expect there to be trouble. If someone shows their face, just be cool."

He chambered a round into the AK, put it at low-ready as he'd seen the NATO troops do, then got ready to head out.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 97 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Tue 27 Apr 2010
at 00:22
Re: Meet the Neighbors
Thor shrugged, hefted Mjollnir and headed out into the gathering gloom.
Taking up a covered fire position approximately 25 metres from the door, he waited for Dawid and Craig to appear...
Craig Sutherland
 player, 120 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 27 Apr 2010
at 01:19
Re: Meet the Neighbors


Craig left his AKU on top of his pack as he moved with Dawid to the church. He held his Browning HP in his left hand concealed in his pocket. In his right he held the MAC-10 under his jacket.

He stood slightly behind Dawid and to the left as he made the introductions.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1802 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 27 Apr 2010
at 01:44
Re: Meet the Neighbors
Dawid slung his AK/GL, then held the white cloth up high.

Knocking on the door, he called out, "hello, is anyone there? I came by earlier. I'd like to ask if you've seen any troops in the area, lately."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1191 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 27 Apr 2010
at 05:54
Re: Back to the Road
Jeff D. Warren:
He did eventually stir in time for his radio message.  He comes back inside, and locates Bayer. "Sir, I made contact with my 'handler.'  They will be moving out in no more than 48 hours, which puts them at the outskirts of Warsaw within 4 to 6 days.  If I may, what is your plan for Warsaw?"


Bayer lays out the map and says, "We're continuing on our mission of reconnaissance and creating dissent among his forces and population. I still interpret these intentions as paralleling yours. Nothing has changed in that matter. Don't you agree?"

Glancing at the map, Bayer continues, "So it looks like we have 4 to 6 days to get into position within range of foot operations and to have completed some recce and harassment missions."

"This gives your allied forces a needed vanguard to help ease them into position while aiding my people's goals on weakening the Baron enough to limit or eliminate his sphere of influence."


Dabbing a finger at the map in three places, he says, "Fortunately due to Lieutenant Sutherland's first hand knowledge we already know the city's food producing areas. I expect that information ought to help find the Baron's stored stockpile."

"However, as I already mentioned, this team's immediate priority is still simply to get within a reasonable distance to the city center and securing a base of operations."


"Once that's done we can get to work on dismantling the Baron." Bayer adds.

Tentative Outline:
Get into range of objective
Conduct recce of Baron's forces and assets
Conduct harassment and diversion mission(s) to create confusion and sow dissent
...what follows next depends on changes to the situation & 30 TD

This fits with both ours and the 30TD's overall goals.


After summarizing this, he asks those of the team who are around, "Any serious objections?"

Assuming there isn't, Bayer outlines the first portion of the nav, "We'll keep moving west, staying close to this treeline we're in that runs all the way to Warsaw."

"We'll need to detour around a nuclear strike, but not until we've already covered most of the distance. I am not anticipating this to be a problem considering we have detection equipment available and a wide choice of directions we can take to get around it."


As it was getting dark soon, he says, "We've a long ways to go. Hopefully we're all rested up and dry. We move shortly."
Minh Quyen
 player, 490 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 27 Apr 2010
at 07:29
Re: Meet the Neighbors
Jan Cerny:
Spotting Minh apparently unoccupied he chose her.  "Minh, please can you do us a favour and find a bathtub or something similar that any of the bloody overwhites can be washed in?"


Having cleaned her weapon and checked for any rust that may have built up, Quyen goes to check on her drying set of clothes. When Jan comes by, she answers, "No need. Upstairs. There is a bathtub. I'm sure you can find some water that collected from the rain outside. There's still time before we leave I bet."

Quyen will then air out her healing wounds before covering them up again before the group departs. "Same team arrangement Hauptmann?"
Jan Cerny
 player, 460 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 27 Apr 2010
at 23:02
Re: Meet the Neighbors
Minh Quyen:
Having cleaned her weapon and checked for any rust that may have built up, Quyen goes to check on her drying set of clothes. When Jan comes by, she answers, "No need. Upstairs. There is a bathtub. I'm sure you can find some water that collected from the rain outside. There's still time before we leave I bet."


"Thanks," Jan nodded in response to Minh before taking the opportunity to clean as much blood off his overwhites as possible.  Before soaking them he took the time to pick off any dried lumps he could and then scrubbed them as clean as they would go.  His drying overwhites then added to the general stink in the cottage but he'd suffered worse!  It made the prospect of night manoeuvres one to look forward to!

As the bike was going to need to be ditched Jan then spent some time working out equipment and gear loads for various people, causing him to miss out on the trip back to the church with Dawid, Thor and Craig.  He was sorting out equipment and working out who would need to carry more when Warren detailed much of his mission and objectives.  The promise of vast amounts of money seemed empty to Jan - where the hell would you spend it!  He'd also heard reports in the French media not long ago about the state of the US and he wasn't convinced that the US Government had that much capability any more.  But saying that it wouldn't be the first time that the French Government had manipulated the media for it's own benefit over the last couple of years!

He did have some thoughts on what was said and on Konrad's plan of action.  "Konrad, I agree with Warren about giving the weapons we captured to the 10th.  I think that we should leave all the AK mags we brought with us hidden somewhere around here for his allies to pick up.  We need to lighten loads now that we can't use the bike in the snow and carrying round all this extra ammo seems to be the wrong thing to do, particularly if an ally can make use of it.  I've also got all of the firing pins for the weapons we left at the farm and we should leave them to be picked up as well."

While he talked Jan moved a couple of kilos of food from one pile to another in front of him, adjusting the loads he intended to dump on various people.

"I agree with your plan as well Konrad.  We need to keep going with our recce mission for the moment and then see about changing objectives once we're in position in Warsaw and have more intel about the set up there.  We talked initially about avoiding contact with the enemy but the presence of the 10th changes that so we will need to reassess eventually.  I don't think that this is the right time to do that though.  We need to be inside Warsaw with a greater understanding of the Baron's forces, strengths and weaknesses before we start reassessing."

Jan then turned to Warren and fired a load of questions at the spook.  "Forget about rewards for the moment.  How many men can the 10th put into the field?  Are they able to take on the Baron direct?  What heavy weapons and armour do they have?  Who are they loyal to?  What are their long term objectives?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1192 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 28 Apr 2010
at 02:19
Re: Meet the Neighbors
Jan Cerny:
He did have some thoughts on what was said and on Konrad's plan of action.  "Konrad, I agree with Warren about giving the weapons we captured to the 10th."


"I'd prefer a decision like that to be put to a vote." Bayer answers. "I don't care either way, but some of the team may have stronger feelings about aiding the Polish villagers over yet another roving band of armed foreigners." He then says, "If there isn't though, sure, the weapons to the division. Call for a vote."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:19, Wed 28 Apr 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 101 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Wed 28 Apr 2010
at 02:58
Re: Meet the Neighbors
Jan Cerny:
"We need to lighten loads now that we can't use the bike in the snow and carrying round all this extra ammo seems to be the wrong thing to do, particularly if an ally can make use of it."

(While NOT at the church with Dawid and Craig)
"Sledges," was Thors sole comment when the issue of the bikes and cargo was raised.
"Make sledges to tow behind."
"Make sled for Niste too if time."

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1777 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 28 Apr 2010
at 03:31
Easy Rider

Sunday, October 22nd, 2000
1900 hrs.
30F
Overcast
Light breeze from the N
Approximately 30km east of Warsaw, Poland



Just as it had earlier in the day, the attempted parley at the church goes nowhere. The occupant/s do not respond to your entreaties. He/she/they clearly want nothing to do with outsiders. In this day and age, you can hardly blame them.

You've eaten and rested well throughout the day. Your clothing and other gear is dry and smells faintly but not unpleasantly of wood smoke. It appears that you've remained undetected in your refuge of the past 24 hours.

You repack your gear and prepare to move out into the descending gloom. Some of the ammunition scavenged from the Baron's dead cavalry is stashed under the floorboards in the cottage.*

Anya, the gender-confused horse, is saddled and loaded up with cargo. He doesn't look particularly pleased with his new role but he bears his burden stoicly. There is still the matter of the cargo from the bicycle. Thor's idea to fashion a sledge to carry the excess gear is a good one but it is growing dark and you will probably need to delay departure for at least a couple of hours to find and assemble the needed materials to build a decent one.**

As you make your final preparations, you spot a solitary rider approaching slowly from the east along the main road (this runs E-W, 200m south of your cottage). The rider may or may not have spotted you too. It's possible that he noticed the smoke of the fire, though. You tried to keep this to a minimum and the light grey backdrop of the overcast sky probably helped but it was impossible to hide completely. A skilled observer could have spotted it.


Next Moves?


*Can someone confirm whether this was done and if so where and how? If you leave a stash, I also need an itemized list of what's being left behind.

**Sorry guys, no magic rewind on this one.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:39, Wed 28 Apr 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 110 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Wed 28 Apr 2010
at 06:02
Re: Easy Rider
As the rider is spotted, Dieter heads back to the attic quickly to get a good view through his rifle scope. He takes aim with his PSG, preparing to fire if needed.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:04, Wed 28 Apr 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 121 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 28 Apr 2010
at 09:05
Re: Easy Rider

After another fruitless door knocking exercise Craig walks with Dawid back to the cottage. Catching up on the offer on the table and ideas for the caches he speaks up.

Craig looked directly at Warren as he spoke;

"I'm not one for arming the enemy, regardless of what this guy decides to fess up. Also why should the people of Warsaw have to give up their food so this commie marauder force can eat and they can starve ?"

"As for air drops I was on the last of NATO's heavy lift assets when they disintegrated all over the rooftops of this city we are about to enter so there's no point blowing that wind up my arse."

Craig looked at the men and woman around him

”A million how about a billion each it's worth as much as your promise to get it to us. I'm sorry but the village and people who sheltered us and feed us have first dibs on the weapons and ammo in my book.”

He then helps get the gear redistributed so they can move on. When the rider is noticed Craig takes a position behind the bike and raises his AKU to his shoulder.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 104 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Wed 28 Apr 2010
at 13:39
Re: Easy Rider
As usual, Thor snapped Megingjord over Járngreipr as the last bit of light faded away and the night began. Taking cover and thumbing the power on, he lined up the powerful combination of optics and scanned southward towards the road where apparently somebody had been seen on a horse. Suddenly, the 200 metres was more like just 20, Megingjord gathering in ambient light and making it seem almost like day.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 710 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 28 Apr 2010
at 17:28
Re: Easy Rider
Mariusz spoke with the kaptain about the guns and ammo, "Normally I'd prefer the G-K militia got the loot, but it would be dangerous for them to retrieve it anyway so I say arm the defectors and let them do some of the dying for a change."

He got back to rearranging his kit and preparing for the long, cold night. He'd tried to scrape every last ounce of calorific value from the horsemeat they'd scrounged and everyone was reasonably fed. He hoped that would help on their trek.

He heard the news of a lone horseman appearing and said, "Excellent, it's just like when you could phone for food deliveries, food is coming to us."
Jan Cerny
 player, 468 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 28 Apr 2010
at 18:03
Re: Easy Rider
Jan studied the approaching horseman through his binoculars.  Though Jan's rifle was slung over his shoulder, information about this new arrival was the most important thing at present and if the rider needed to be shot then one of the snipers could handle that.

"Warren," he muttered as he studied the rider.  "If this man is connected to you then you'd better speak up sharpish because at present I'm thinking that we could do with another horse to replace the bike!"

Jan wasn't a thief but his short time in Poland out of communication with his commanders had taught him that moral distinctions like that sometimes had to be put aside.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1779 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 28 Apr 2010
at 22:33
Re: Easy Rider

Those of you with optics can see that the rider is garbed in a mix of military and civilian clothing. His camouflage trousers appear to be Soviet woodland pattern but it's difficult to tell for sure at this range. The weapon slung across his chest is a bullpup rifle- perhaps an L85 or Steyr AUG. He appears to be alone.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:34, Wed 28 Apr 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 471 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 28 Apr 2010
at 23:30
Re: Easy Rider
"He's carrying a bullpup rifle of some kind," Jan reported to the others, talking about the horseman.  "Craig, take a look and see if you recognise his face?  He might be someone who's also been forced to work for the Baron."

Jan then used his binoculars to keep scanning the route the horseman had come along, looking to see if he was the lead scout of a larger force.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 827 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 28 Apr 2010
at 23:53
Re: Easy Rider
Tucker sits as he listens to Konrad talk about a vote about who gets the rifles and ammo.  AS usual, Tucker waits for his turn when others get done voicing their opinions, he raises his hand like a school kid as he stands up.  "I'm not trying to split hairs here boss but, I think that we owe the G-K militia some of those weapons and ammo.  I'm thinking our long term goal is to go in with the Spook here and help him and his C.I.A. friends save Warsaw from the evilness of this Baron.  I think the bulk of the guns & ammo go with them and the rest to the militia if that's even possible.  I'd hate to leave it and lose it.  Might as well give 'em to someone who's going' to be able to help us out!"

As Robert packs up the rest of his gear and eventually helps stow the rest, he unslings his rifle when he hears there's a rider out there and goes for his binoculars to see what he can see.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 122 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 29 Apr 2010
at 00:36
Re: Easy Rider

Craig lifts his field glasses and studies the man's features trying to I.D him.
Steven Drew
 player, 255 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Thu 29 Apr 2010
at 02:55
Re: Easy Rider

  "Well, he may be an advance man.  So, lets get ready ta waste this dude."

  As he positions his machine gun where he can get a clear field of fire while resting his weapon on its bipod.  Drew will aim in on the rider, hoping to target the rider and not the horse should he have to engage.

Sgt Drew
M240 w/ M1911
Aiming in on the rider using the bipod

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 52 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Thu 29 Apr 2010
at 05:15
Re: Easy Rider
"I concur Captain.  Our goals do coincide.  The elimination of the Baron is not one of my objectives, however. Securing Warsaw is.  I wouldn't doubt that his death will be necessary.  Salesman will likely ask me to make that happen, so that will work nicely for both of us."  Jeff's eyes and tone reveal nothing as he speaks this last line.

"I can give you a non-secret radio frequency for the 10th, if you wish to sort this out with my handler.  I would have to clear it with him first, however. And I understand your immediate priority is to reach the city, I apologize if I seemed as if I were pushy."

Jan Cerny:
Jan then turned to Warren and fired a load of questions at the spook.  "Forget about rewards for the moment.  How many men can the 10th put into the field?  Are they able to take on the Baron direct?  What heavy weapons and armour do they have?  Who are they loyal to?  What are their long term objectives?"

Jeff stares at Jan as he asks his questions, and answers with no reservation.  "The 10th is down to about 300 combat-able men.  Mostly Russians and Khazak conscripts, so no, they cannot simply lay siege to Warsaw on their own.  The last of the divisions tanks broke down last week, and they lost the rest while being pursued by a Red Soviet division.  The division went Rogue on their own earlier this year.  My government took advantage of this, and linked them up with a local CIA asset, codename Salesman.  He has been aiding the division move to Northwest Poland, where they may link up with other pro-US forces.  The division is quite loyal to the CIA, at least amongst the officers and Russians.  They ought to be.  We called in some crucial air strikes to ward off that other Soviet Division, as well as some supply drops.  I joined the division on one such flight."

Jeff is just finishing up when Craig storms in after visiting the church.

Craig Sutherland:
Craig looked directly at Warren as he spoke;

"I'm not one for arming the enemy, regardless of what this guy decides to fess up. Also why should the people of Warsaw have to give up their food so this commie marauder force can eat and they can starve ?"

"As for air drops I was on the last of NATO's heavy lift assets when they disintegrated all over the rooftops of this city we are about to enter so there's no point blowing that wind up my arse."

Craig looked at the men and woman around him

”A million how about a billion each it's worth as much as your promise to get it to us. I'm sorry but the village and people who sheltered us and feed us have first dibs on the weapons and ammo in my book.”

"The 10th doesn't intend to steal all of the food for the city.  Just enough to survive the winter, before moving on.  As for air drops, NATO and the rogue US Government (OOC: MILGOV) may be out of planes, but I can assure you that the CIA has not run out of options.  My existence here is proof of that.  I jumped from a CIA supply plane very recently, and they continue to fly.  Rewards, like I said, can vary from person to person.  Assets are in place, we  can work out the details later.  Everything else is your opinion."  From What Jeff had gathered, this man had betrayed both his own British government, and then the Baron.  Jeff would be keeping an eye on him, however he had no ill will for the man.  He almost liked him.

Jeff does not want to argue with everyone on the fine points of any deal, but the arrival of the newcomer meant he didn't have to.

"I don't recognize him either.  The 10th isn't this far forward.  Hauptmann, I suggest we snatch him for identification, and some further questioning.  We were in quite a hurry while I was with the last captive, so I had to act quickly."  He mentions nothing of killing the man.  He assumed they all knew, and if they didn't, they may as well maintain some decency.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1194 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 29 Apr 2010
at 08:16
Re: Easy Rider
Jeff D. Warren:
"Hauptmann, I suggest we snatch him for identification, and some further questioning."


Bayer waits for confirmation on ID'ing the man, then answers, "How do you suppose we do that? He's on a horse." He wasn't against the idea, but would rather let the man pass on by rather than risk compromising their position again if they failed to nab him. He didn't even want to kill him if it wasn't necessary. "Lay out your idea?" he asks.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1809 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 29 Apr 2010
at 11:12
Re: Easy Rider
In reply to Craig Sutherland (msg #392):

Dawid added his opinion.

"There really isn't enough to split the captured weapons and ammunition between forces. In order of preference, these are my thoughts on who should get the guns."

"First: any groups in Warszawa. If they exist they would be the closest, and it's our objective to contact and organise any resistance to the Baron."

"Next, it pains me to say, the 10th Tank Division. I don't like the Russians, have nothing against the Kazakhs, but they are trained and experience soldiers, and would be a real asset against the Baron. Plus, we know where they are and that they exist."

"Last, the Gora Kalawria ORMO. Simply because they are so far away and the guns can do more good here in the city, in my opinion."


Dawid nodded in sympathy towards Warren when he mentioned the rogue MILGOV faction. "Our political officers were delighted when the US military launched a coup and tried to overthrow your federal government. They said the US claimed to be the greatest democracy on Earth, yet their own military tried to overthrow them, just like what happened in Poland. Trust me, soldiers are not fit to rule, that's something from bitter experience we Poles can teach you!"

When the stranger was spotted, Dawid grabbed Mariusz, handing him his binoculars and setting up the PKM at the rear of the house, out the door.

They kept watch on the OTHER directions. Just because this wasn't a likely ruse, didn't mean that by chance someone else couldn't be coming up from the flank or rear while people were distracted!

This message was last edited by the player at 11:13, Thu 29 Apr 2010.

Minh Quyen
 player, 492 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 29 Apr 2010
at 16:17
Re: Easy Rider
When the lone horseman is spotted, Quyen will crouch down and cover in another direction (opposite maybe).
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 711 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 29 Apr 2010
at 16:34
Re: Easy Rider
Mariusz looked around with the binoculars and said, "I can't see anything...yet. You're like the horse with Thor around, nervous of your flanks."
Jan Cerny
 player, 476 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 29 Apr 2010
at 23:12
Re: Easy Rider
Warren's comments about the support his CIA masters had been able to give the 10th interested Jan.  Warren had already talked about resupply drops and had now mentioned air strikes.  That implied a working airbase somewhere within flight range and that was news to Jan!  Either Warren was deluded or bullshitting them or the US Government had a lot more capability than the French media claimed!

Lots of questions for Warren popped into Jan's head but now was not the time.  The approaching horseman needed to dealt with, even if dealing with him was simply a case of letting him ride by as Konrad had suggested.

"If we're going to try and capture this horseman for interrogation," commented Jan while continuing to scan back along the route the man had ridden down, "then we need to set up an ambush and give him the choice of capture or death.  It sounds risky to me as he might well spot us moving into position and we have no idea whether he is the advance scout for a group at all.  Can anyone see if he's carrying a radio?"

If he was carrying a radio it implied that he had someone to talk to and that he wasn't a lone straggler.  It only implied it though - Jan had been on his own when he'd pulled Stoner out of the river and he'd been carrying a radio.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1811 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 29 Apr 2010
at 23:22
Re: Easy Rider
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #405):

Dawid deadpanned, "yep, it's why I'm still a virgin."

He checked to see the ammo was fed properly into the feed tray, then pulled the charging handle to chamber a round.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1781 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 30 Apr 2010
at 02:04
Ghost Rider

As you watch, the horseman pauses and bends low in the sadde, apparently studying something on the snowy ground near the road. He's near the church now, but on the road-side, away from where Dawid and company attempted to contact the church's occupant/s earlier in the evening (and in the morning).

As he sits back up, the lone rider's hood slips back, revealing a deeply tanned, hairless face.

Thor has seen this face before, he's sure. It was in his homeland, in an earlier age. An Asiatic man riding in the belly of a speckled green and white dragon, spewing tongues of fire at Thor and his fellow Viking Hersirs. They'd both missed their respective targets that day, long ago. The gods have offered Thor another opportunity, it seems.

Neither Warren, nor Dieter, nor Craig recognizes the man. Tucker and Mariusz, however, do. It takes a moment to attach a context to the strangely familiar vissage. When it finally comes, it's like a splash of cold water in the face. It can't be. Yet somehow, it is...

Alexei Ondar.

Next Moves?

OOC: After this turn, the group will be back on the road to Warsaw. Please use this opportunity for any last minute packing, planning, etc. The weapons and ammo can be hid under the floorboards or in the attic of the cottage. If you're going to port them, you'll have to figure out how to do so. Several of you are already encumbered.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:07, Fri 30 Apr 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 112 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Fri 30 Apr 2010
at 05:28
Re: Ghost Rider
Dieter watched as the rider approached. He appeared to be Asian, but Dieter couldn't place him. He was probably from Central Asia, maybe West China or a Russian province. He kept him in view through the scope, rifle trained on the man's head.

He held his fire, but if given the call, or the man turns hostile, he will open fire and blow his head off with one clean shot. They could use the extra horse.

OOC - Happy for Jan to allocate extra supplies to me once we move off. I will certainly be over-loaded, but I think this will affect everyone.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 712 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 30 Apr 2010
at 16:41
Re: Ghost Rider
Mariusz sneaked a quick look at the oncoming rider and saw Ondar's ugly bullet and burn scarred head, he called out quickly, "That's Alexi, he's one of us, don't shoot him."
Jan Cerny
 player, 482 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 30 Apr 2010
at 19:42
Re: Ghost Rider
At Mariusz' call Jan shifted his binoculars so that he focussed on the rider.  Recognising Alexei he reached quickly for his radio.

"All call signs this is Lightning Three," he transmitted.  "Do not engage the rider.  He is a known friendly!"

Just how the hell had Alexei managed to find them however was the key question!
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 829 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 30 Apr 2010
at 21:45
Re: Ghost Rider
Tucker looks through the binoculars and realizes after a few moments of staring that it was Ondar.  He let's his binos drop and he begins to move out to see what Ondar is doing out this way.  He heard Mariusz call out for no one to fire and it should be relatively safe.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 123 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 30 Apr 2010
at 22:49
Re: Ghost Rider


As the others made the I.D of the horseman Craig kept a watch on the other avenues of approach.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 114 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Sat 1 May 2010
at 15:43
Re: Ghost Rider
Thor knew the man well. He'd featured heavily in his nightmares over the past four years, ever since that first winter of warfare when the invaders had dropped from the skies all over his homeland.

Thor remembered the flames that had shot towards the sky after the mans visit in his dragon, the destruction which had descended without warning upon his tiny village from above.
He'd grabbed his grandfathers weapon from above the fireplace that night, Mjollnir having not yet been found, and rushed into the icy darkness. The sounds of the dragon's roaring as it circled were still fresh in his ears, and then he saw the face which had haunted his dreams ever since, illuminated clearly by the firelight, directing warriors in their destruction.

Thor took aim at the man with his grandfathers weapon, but missed. The weapon was old, it had seen it's best days many years before and was worn out, barely able to contain the extremes of firing nearly ninety years after it's making. The man pointed back, forcing Thor to take cover while he worked the bolt and the enemy warriors returned fire.

A few moments later the dragon landed, the man and his warriors climbing inside it's belly. Thor took aim again, firing and hitting the dragons flank in a shower of sparks. Then disaster, not only for Thor but the whole village as first his grandfathers weapon seized, it's worn bolt refusing to release.

Diving for cover, the last Thor saw of the man, the warriors, or the dragon, was the man laughing from behind the dragons vicious armament, spewing destruction at Thor and the homes of his peace loving slekt and venner, killing and wounding many of the women and children and leaving the survivors homeless.

Four years he had waited for vengeance. Four long years the children had lain dead....

BOOM!

BOOM!

BOOM!
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 53 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Sat 1 May 2010
at 17:10
Re: Easy Rider
Konrad Bayer:
Jeff D. Warren:
"Hauptmann, I suggest we snatch him for identification, and some further questioning."


Bayer waits for confirmation on ID'ing the man, then answers, "How do you suppose we do that? He's on a horse." He wasn't against the idea, but would rather let the man pass on by rather than risk compromising their position again if they failed to nab him. He didn't even want to kill him if it wasn't necessary. "Lay out your idea?" he asks.

"Kill the horse, capture the man.  Or kill the man and capture the horse."  Jeff pauses briefly, looking for something to make a quick diagram of the road and village to outline his idea.  Using a frag grenade for the church, and the strap of his rifle as the road, he begins to outline his plan, "Send two men here, with another here two to sneak up and take him out once the sni-" he had been gesturing at his diorama when suddenly the calls to hold fire came out.  Jeff looked up just in time to see the big bear-man open fire with his Barrett.  He couldn't help but flinch initially as the rifle boomed in close proximity.  Jeff wasn't sure what to do, given the previous order to hold fire.  One hand raised his binoculars to see the effect of fire on the rider, while the other moved to the butt of his pistol, ready for anything.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:12, Sat 01 May 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 258 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sat 1 May 2010
at 17:33
Re: Easy Rider

  Drew having relaxed his grip on his machinegun was still scanning the area behind the rider when the concussion hit him and then the tripple tap of the Barret.

  Drew instinctivly dropped his head to his rifle site as his hands found their place on the gun.  Drew nervously trained his weapon scanning the area looking for threats or muzzle flashes.  He calls out,

"CONTACT!!! WHERE THEY AT?  CALL IT OUT!" as Drew tries to zero in on the threat.  His ears ringing at being next to the insane sniper and his much to large weapon in a confined room.


  As Drew scans the area, and to his horror sees the rounds are heading downrange towards a freindly.  A coldness fills him, his stomach burns with acid and his throat goes tight.  Drew isn't even aware that his nose is now trickling blood from being so close to the .50 when it fired.

Sgt Drew
M240 w/fresh 100 round belt and a 1911
Covering what he thought was a contact, to his horror a witness of a freindly fire caused by a mad man.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1782 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 1 May 2010
at 17:38
Man Down

The rider spots the watchers a second before Mariusz calls out his warning. Holding the reigns in his left hand, the rider raises his right, palm outward in a gesture of non-threatening greeting. The wry, reluctant smile written across his face is unmistakable- it is Ondar.

Thor, in full berzerker battle rage, fires three shots at the stranger in quick succession. As the first shot rings out, the rider's horse spooks, lunging forwards. The rider, still in the saddle, is thrown backwards. The second shot, like the first, narrowly misses the flailing horseman. At the third, the horse loses its footing on the ice that coats the road just beneath the thick top cover of snow. As it slips and falls, the third .50 calibre slug snaps just inches from the tumbling rider's lower back. Horse and rider crash into the snow. The horse rises spastically and stumbles off away from the shooter (i.e. to the south). The rider is temporarily lost from sight in a snowdrift on the near side of the road. (Thor -3 shots)


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:18, Sat 01 May 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 259 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sat 1 May 2010
at 18:24
Re: Man Down
  Drew bolts off his gun, letting the butt fall to the ground and pounces on the madman with pistol in hand swinging to pistol whip the berzerk sniper.

"FUCKIN LUNATIC!" He shouts, as he jumps on the crazy man.

Sgt Drew
M1911
Pistol whipping or otherwise subduing a crazed indavidual.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:53, Sat 01 May 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 490 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 1 May 2010
at 19:21
Re: Man Down
"Thor you fucking idiot!" Jan yelled at the big Norwegian.  "Someone help Drew subdue that dickhead while the rest of you pack up our gear to get the hell out of here.  Those shots will be heard for several kilometres!  I'm going to check Alexei."

With that he moved off quickly towards the fallen man with his rifle held ready but with his medic pack on his back for when he arrived.

"Oh and someone see if they can catch the horse," he called back across his shoulder as he left the cottage.  "We need it!"

As he approached the fallen man he called out in a hissed whisper, "Alexei, it's Jan.  Are you hit?"


Jan
Approaching Alexei with Steyr in hand, intending on rendering first aid as necessary.

Alexei Ondar
 player, 131 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Sat 1 May 2010
at 21:00
Re: Man Down
Ondar, now convinced beyond doubt that he has tracked the team to this cottage ahead, stops to survey his approach.  In choosing to advance openly, he was banking on being spotted as well as recognized.  The calls of acknowledgment from within reassured him, but this momentary sensation of relief evaporated with the unsolicited barrage of anti-materiel rifle fire now zipping past him.

His horse spooked, reared and threw him.  He flashed back to his youth on the Tuvan plains and his uncle's many vain attempts to teach Ondar to ride.  He had managed to excel at most other aspects of his people's culture - archery, wrestling, and even throat singing - but his low-grade fear of things equine had dogged him well into his adult life.  Terrifying creatures, he mused as he went flying ass over tea kettle into the roadside snowdrift.

Finding himself upside-down in the snow, he calls out with all the strength he can muster, "Quit shooting, asshole!  It Ondar! It Ondar!"

He was stunned and disoriented, but at least he would be concealed from his present antagonist(s).  He recognized the hushed voice of the approaching Legionnaire asking for his status.

"No, not hit.  Just sore."



[Ondar]
Rifle slung
In a snow drift.
Calling out.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:05, Sat 01 May 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1816 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 1 May 2010
at 22:30
Re: Man Down
In reply to Alexei Ondar (msg #420):

Dawid had gotten up when he heard it was Alexi, and was glad when the order came to hold fire. It would be a shame to kill a friend, they had so few in this place!

Then the shots came, along with anger and confusion. Ondar fell off and his horse bolted.

Jan seemed to have the local situation in hand and a dogpile would soon coalesce on Thor to subdue him, so he didn't spare any thoughts about those things.

The idea to get the horse was a good one but of course a horse was faster than any man. Except a man on a horse. Anya (named both ironically and mistakenly) was saddled up, as they were getting ready to go, but not loaded.

Dropping the spare ammo cans, he ran over to where Anya was tethered, having grazed during the day. "Mariusz, pack the gun for loading!" After calming the horse and dropping the saddlebags, he untied the tether and prepared to ride off.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:29, Sun 02 May 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 124 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 2 May 2010
at 01:06
Re: Man Down

Craig raised his hand in acknowledgement of the new arrival, lowering his AKS. Craig felt a sense of relief that the had managed to find them, if he had taken another route from the village he will have valuable Intel.

As the shots rang out Craig raised his AKU to his shoulder and pivoted on the spot, intent on ending the situation with a double tap into the Norwegian clown. Looking along the length of the compact assault rifle all he saw was the back of Drew as he leapt on to Thor.

Craig ran forward and aimed a swift kick at the snipers head while moving the rifle out of his hands with his left leg shin. He still had his rifle at the ready should it be needed.


AKS-47U (45/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
Fire Support Element
Covering Drew, taking out the sniper

This message was last edited by the player at 03:55, Sun 02 May 2010.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 830 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 2 May 2010
at 04:23
Re: Man Down
Tucker nearly shit himself when he heard the string of of three shots rang out from the large sniper that Thor had been utilizing.  He quickly dropped to one knee and yelled out to the rest of the squad, "CHECK YER FIRE!  CHECK YER FUCKIN' FIRE!  HE'S A FRIENDLY GODDAMNIT!"

Tucker will make his way out to where Ondar, and now Jan, are to see how he is doing.  "Jesus Ondar, we're glad to see you but you scared the shit outta us!  I guess yer doin' better huh?  Glad to see you man!"
Alexei Ondar
 player, 133 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Sun 2 May 2010
at 07:09
Re: Man Down
"Was better before," mutters Ondar as he pulls himself up and shakes off the snow that had become packed inside his uniform.  Getting thrown certainly hadn't tickled any but, in reality, his pride was hurt more than anything.

"Good see you, Jan.  You too, Tuck-Tucker."



[Ondar]
Rifle slung
In a snow drift.
Greeting old friends.

Jan Cerny
 player, 491 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 2 May 2010
at 11:10
Re: Man Down
Jan offered a hand to Alexei, helping him up out of the snowdrift.

“Glad you’re ok,” he replied.  “We’ve gained a couple of snipers since you got hit and one of them is either incompetent, insane or both.  Either way he’s proving to be a total liability!  He’s a hell of a shot though so you’re lucky to still be in one piece!”

Glancing round he saw Dawid on horseback obviously attempting to chase down Alexei’s mount.  “Hopefully your horse isn’t too spooked!” he added while starting to lead Alexei and Tuck back towards the cottage.  “We need to get moving quickly as the retort from Thor’s cannon will have been heard for several kilometers!”

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 713 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 2 May 2010
at 11:20
Re: Man Down
Mariusz bent to complete the task that Dawid had given him. As he prepared teh machine gun for transit he wondered how he had offended God as He kept sending them people who seemed bent on getting them killed, a mad man with a cannon, a Spook on a mission who didn't care who got killed as long as it was fulfilled and people who drifted in for long enough to eat their food and then desert with more food when the going got tough.

As he grumbled to himself he seriously wondered if it wouldn't be easier to just shoot the next person who joined them straight away rather than wait to see in which way they'd screw the unit over.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1817 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 2 May 2010
at 13:31
Re: Man Down
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #426):

Nearby, Dawid had serious problems with Anya, the male pack-horse.

He had pulled the quick-release for the baggage, but the packs hitting the snow had startled the already-skittish horse and it reared up. It was all Dawid could do to keep if from bolting off as well, or tripping on the packs under it's hoofs and spraining or even breaking a leg or trampling the supplies.

"Goddamn! Someone else better get that other horse... I'm a little busy with this one..."

This message was last edited by the player at 14:38, Sun 02 May 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 116 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Sun 2 May 2010
at 14:27
Re: Man Down
In reply to Steven Drew (msg #418):

Thor fought back from a position of disadvantage, tears streaming down his face explaining why his shots, normally so accurate, had consistently missed.
Kevlar helmet and vest along with the bulk of his furs and clothing protected him from the worst of the onslaught, but there could be no doubt in anyone's mind that occupied as he was he would not be firing again in the near future.

Rolling about in the snow entangled with Drew made Craigs kick less certain of connecting than it otherwise might and nudging the heavy rifle away at the same time making the difficulty all the greater.

"The children," he sobbed, the fight leaving his body before yelling,
"The dziwoląg MURDERED THE CHILDREN!"
Jan Cerny
 player, 492 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 2 May 2010
at 15:48
Re: Man Down
Noticing that Dawid was having more trouble than expected with their current horse Jan turned to Alexei.

"I think that we need to get your horse!" he said, stating the obvious!
Steven Drew
 player, 261 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sun 2 May 2010
at 16:17
Re: Man Down


  Drew shouts;

"A LITTLE HELP HERE PEOPLE!!!!"  as he is trying to subdue the nut.

"SOME OF YOU MUTHERFUCKERS HELP ME THE FUCK OUT!  OR I'M JUST GONNA SHOOT THIS CRAZY SONOFOBICH!  THEN I'M GONNA SHOOT YOU!"
  As he contemplates just shooting the babbling idiot.

"FUCK!  I'm gettin to old for this." Drew whispers as he is working on Thor.

Sgt Drew
M1911
Wrestling with Thor with the thought of just shooting the beast of a man and being done with it.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1785 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 2 May 2010
at 22:21
The Road

While Dawid struggles to get Anya back under control, Drew and Craig attempt to subdue the dangerously distraught Norwegian commando.

As Thor searches for his just-vanished querry through the big Barrett's scope, Drew leaps onto his back and attempts to pistol whip the crazed man into unconsciousness. As soon as the Marine lands on Thor's back, Thor bucks like a man possessed and Drew's heavy Colt crashes down hard on his K-pot helmet. The magazine falls out of the weapon and Thor rolls on to his back, catching Drew in his full guard (Drew's torso between Thor's legs). As Thor attempts to mount his own offense from the bottom, a swift kick to the side of the head from Craig knocks him momentarily senseless. Craig's success is not without cost. As his boot impacts Thor's Kevlar helmet, the Royal Marine feels a jolt of pain in already injured ankle (sprained during the ambush on the Baron's D-30 convoy). As the stars fade from Thor's vision, he finds himself pinned by two men. The fight has drained out of his body and he lays on his back in the snow, sobbing like an overgrown and very hairy child. Konrad secures Thor's rifle and Drew and Craig confiscate his pistol and knife.

Jan, Mariusz, and Tucker help Ondar to his feet. The Tuvan commando is uninjured, save for his pride. His horse, Kochanie, having recovered from the sudden fright of the unexpected gunfire, stands near the treeline about 100m away, cautiously watching the strange series of events unfold in the road.

Over the course of the next quarter of an hour, Thor regains his composure. Anya is reloaded with half of the party's excess baggage. The other half is loaded on Kochanie, coaxed back into the fold by Ondar and a handful of oats from Anya's feedbag.

The party is reunited and ready to hit the road again. Darkness has descended. The snow-covered road to Warsaw stretches out before you.


Next Moves?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...43942,0.527&z=12

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:34, Sun 02 May 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 494 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 2 May 2010
at 22:56
Re: The Road
Seeing Thor sobbing like a baby Jan just shakes his head in disgust at the man.  He had described Thor to Alexei as either incompetent, insane or both and it was looking like Thor was certainly unbalanced.  Irrespective of whether that assessment was correct or not Thor was a complete liability and someone who couldn't be relied upon.

Approaching the sobbing man Jan is not sympathetic.  He has no understanding of why the man is crying and doesn't really care at this point.  He doesn't respond in a very helpful manner, reverting to Sergeant Major mode and tearing Thor off a strip.

"Thor, you're a fucking liability!" he says forcefully to the sniper, getting angrier as he speaks.  "I've met a couple of Norwegian Marines before in the Legion and they were good soldiers who I'd have trusted my life with.  You can't be trusted with anything and are a disgrace to your regiment!  Now get up off the floor and get your shit together!  We don't have time to sort your crap out properly now as thanks to you every fucking patrol in the area will have heard your shots!"

He waited, ensuring that Thor had started to pull himself together before moving off to pack up the horses.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1196 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 3 May 2010
at 01:26
Re: The Road
Bayer scowls at the situation comes to a conclusion. Leaving Jan to deal with Halgeirsen, Bayer approaches Ondar and asks, "Bring any news?" Everything still ok back in the village?" Once answered he adds, "Glad you caught up with us."

After everything was settled, Bayer announces to the group, "Time to go. Ready?" Then as everyone is putting their rucksacks on, Bayer glances over at the Norwegian again. When their eyes meet he says slowly, "Shoot on self defense or order only. Understand. No more chances, you hear?"

Trying to get the group moving again
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 121 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Mon 3 May 2010
at 01:37
Re: The Road
"What you know frog?"
"Your country not invaded! You not massacred!"
"Why you here? Make more trouble? Skrinlegge ally not enough, you have come make worse?"

Thor spat at Jan's feet in absolute disgust that the man apparently couldn't feel anything for another.

There was no sign of anger in Thors eyes as he responded to Konrad. In fact, he seemed more mentally clear than at any previous time.
"He murdered my village," he began, before continuing on with the story of how a heliborne spetznaz team had landed only hours after commencement of hostilities and begun wholesale destruction and killing.

Thor had been home on leave at the time, virtually the only trained soldier amongst the hundreds of women, children and old men. The enemy had numbered no more than a few dozen, but riding in Hind gunships and armed with automatic rifles and machineguns, the villagers didn't have a chance. More than two thirds of the inhabitants had been killed or wounded and almost all their homes burnt to the ground.

His face softened and tears continued to stream.
"I fight for the children."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:40, Mon 03 May 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 263 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Mon 3 May 2010
at 02:39
Re: The Road

  Drew helps restrain Thor,  when placed in the "scissors" hold Drew would have delivered a palm strike and grabbed the mans ah-hem "package" twisted and pulled before letting go as he was trained to do.

  Drew is uneasy that they do not tie the madman up.  But no one else wants it done.  Drew retrieves his pistol and the magazine that had fallen out.  He checks it to make sure that the magazine and magazine catch have not been broken <to pistol whip someone, its best to use the front portion of the barrel and slide as they are not moving parts, just 2 large pieces of metal>.  If the weapon is damaged it will find a place in his pack until it can be properly repaired or traded or stripped for parts.  He will retrieve his M9 he placed in his pack.  If the pistol is still working he will simple replace it.

  Drew will retrieve and inspect his M240.  When he is statisfied his weapons are in order he will pack up the rest of his kit.  When it is time to move, he will strip down to his bare uniform and just the field jacket with the sweater at the top of the pack to help warm up when they stop, while moving, he will be warm enough.

  Drew will grumble and curse about what just went on as he rolls up his sleeping bag and blanket and other items,

"We've been here to long.  If he found us, its certain others can to.  And with shit for brains there <pointing to Thor> goes capping off rounds with his cannon its a wonder half the fucking countryside won't be waiting for us....fucking bullshit!"

  Drew will sit by his pack and weapon and break out a pack of smokes and light one up.

Sgt Drew
M240 w/ fresh 100 round belt and pistol to be determined
Smoking on his pack waiting to step off

Alexei Ondar
 player, 134 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Mon 3 May 2010
at 02:48
Re: The Road
As the Tuvan commando assists with redistribution of the group's load, he sizes up the new members.  He pays particularly close attention to the Norse sniper.

"Village fine," Ondar nods in confirmation to Bayer.  "Bishop say, Godspeed."

Ondar shrugs, as if failing to comprehend the Bishop's message.  Still addressing Bayer, Ondar motions toward Thor.

"Beady-eye Yeti leave vapor trail make Ondar nose bleed.  How Ondar find you. What viking say prolly true.  Ondar in Norge back in '96.  Tore up good.  Narvik, Bardufoss.  It a mess.  That a long, long fight.  Got scar to prove. Almost die when Krokodil shot down by viking."

Ondar opens the front of his jacket and shirt and displays hideous burn grafts across his chest and down his left arm.  The scarring continues along down past his waistband.  As he re-buttons his uniform, he continues to speak dispassionately.

"Like American say, War. It hell."

He shrugs again and continues to aid with packing.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:57, Tue 04 May 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 115 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Mon 3 May 2010
at 07:41
Re: The Road
Dieter relaxed as the rider was identified by Mariusz's call. However, a few moments later was back on full alert as Thor attempted to blow his head off. He saw the new man go down, not sure what had happened. Quickly he realised that Thor, is all his glorious craziness, had opened fire! He listened as Drew and Tucker subdued Thor, assuming that they would do the job.

Staying put in the attic, Dieter scanned the horizon. The Barret was loud, and wouls attract attention. Anyone in the vicinity would have heard it, and any hostiles would come soon, and in force. The next encounter wouldn't be like yesterday's ambush. If anything, we would be slaughtered like dogs if a decent sized hostile forse attacked this old cottage.

Once the Norwegian had been subdued, and the new man had, thankfully, dusted himself down, Dieter called down the stairs, "No sign of enemy activity, but we need to get out of here now! If anyone heard that they will investigate, and we are in serious trouble."

Thankfully he soon heard evidence of his colleagues loading up the two horses, and guessed that they would soon be on the move. He was glad that his pack was already packed, so he could move off quickly once the order came. With that he went back to his vigil and continued to watch for any activity on the horizon.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 125 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 3 May 2010
at 10:14
Re: The Road
Happy to see his size 14 boot connect Craig instantly knows what's up as the pain in his ankle returns...

“Mother... fuc … shit.” he spins slightly on one leg, his rifle still levelled at Thor.

”Wank, wank and wank.”

As the sniper is restrained by the other team members, Craig steadies himself next to the bike using it for support. He rotates his ankle and takes a step, happy he should be able to keep up he covers Thor from his new position as Jan moves forward.

When everyone is ready to move he takes up the rear position he had previous. Craig tries to favour his uninjured leg as they move off.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 122 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Mon 3 May 2010
at 14:01
Re: The Road
Once the conversation with Konrad was complete, Thor sought out Drew, approaching him with open hands in a gesture of peace.
"Thor understand you. Dellingr not know of killing. I forgive."

A short while later he approached Craig in the same fashion.
"Foot ok?" he inquired after his opening conciliatory words.
"Need help?"

In his wanderings, he also came close to the object of his anger, Alexei Ondar. Errant light from a torch flashed across the mans face causing Thor to pull out his own miniature light.
"You Óðr, not Vættr," he declared as he finally got a good look.
He went pale as the blood drained from his face.
"Not Vættr! Thor so, so sorry. Óðr look so like Vættr in bad light!"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1823 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 3 May 2010
at 14:32
Re: The Road
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #431):

Dawid shakes hands with Ondar and gives him a bear hug, welcoming him back into the group.

"We'll put you with the sharpshooter element. Dieter has been in charge, but I think he'll be happy to not deal with Thor any more.

"The problem is, Thor is very good at what he does, but (as you see) impulsive and possibly mentally unbalanced. Actually, definitely unbalanced. Are you up to being made element leader? If Dieter's okay with it? You'd have to make it clear you're in charge, once he understands something he "gets" it."

"Dieter, you all right with this?"


He shared a precious cigarette.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:48, Mon 03 May 2010.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 831 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 3 May 2010
at 17:33
Re: The Road
"Sorry for the close call.  If we knew you were coming Ondar, we would've had something different planned for you.  I don't know what got into the fucking guy but, sheesh!  I'd love to know why hs just tried to tear you and your mount up but, I'm a little pissed he opened up on you like that.  The others are good back in G-K for now?"
Jan Cerny
 player, 499 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 3 May 2010
at 23:31
Re: The Road
Thor Halgeirsen:
"What you know frog?"
"Your country not invaded! You not massacred!"
"Why you here? Make more trouble? Skrinlegge ally not enough, you have come make worse?"

Thor spat at Jan's feet in absolute disgust that the man apparently couldn't feel anything for another.


Jan shook his head in disdain at Thor's vague attempt at an insult.  Though Jan was proud to be a French citizen he wasn't born in the country so he found the Anglophile insult of frog quite a bizarre one and one that didn't both him in the slightest.  In fact most French people he knew didn't find it offensive either, much the same way that the French slang for the English, le roast beef, just struck most English soldiers Jan had met as a humorous insult.

"You could argue that my country is Czechoslovakia and that it has been invaded."
he replied.  "Though I haven't lived there since I was a child I still have relatives there and I have no idea what happened to them.  I've been through there recently and it's as much of a mess as most of the rest of the world!"

Jan didn't respond to the question of why he was here in Poland.  It was a question no one seemed to feel the need to ask and he wasn't about to give an explanation to someone as erratic and unreliable as Thor.

Some of the rest of Thor's rant, Jan simply didn't understand.  What on earth did Skrinlegge mean?  Jan didn't know so ignored the comment or insult or whatever it was.

Thor Halgeirsen:
There was no sign of anger in Thors eyes as he responded to Konrad. In fact, he seemed more mentally clear than at any previous time.
"He murdered my village," he began, before continuing on with the story of how a heliborne spetznaz team had landed only hours after commencement of hostilities and begun wholesale destruction and killing.

Thor had been home on leave at the time, virtually the only trained soldier amongst the hundreds of women, children and old men. The enemy had numbered no more than a few dozen, but riding in Hind gunships and armed with automatic rifles and machineguns, the villagers didn't have a chance. More than two thirds of the inhabitants had been killed or wounded and almost all their homes burnt to the ground.

His face softened and tears continued to stream.
"I fight for the children."


Jan made a point of listening to Thor's explanation.  At last they were getting some insight into the Norwegian's motivations and the cause of his damaged mental state.  Though it explained things to some extent it didn't get away from the fact that Thor couldn't be relied upon to behave as a professional soldier would and that he therefore posed a danger to the rest of the team, mostly likely through his poor choice of actions but also now directly.  Anneka might be able to do some good but that would require sending Thor back to the village and the opportunity for that looked to be several days away at least.

After Thor had calmed down Jan made a point of going over to speak to him again.

"Thor, I heard your tale of the bad things that have happened to you and though I sympathise you need to get things straight in your head.  That was in the past and you need get with the here and now.  We've all seen bad stuff and some of us suffer as a result," Jan glanced over at Dieter as he spoke, obviously referring to his recent nightmare, "but try to control your rashness as it scares the hell out of a lot of us.  If you can follow orders and act like a professional soldier you'll get along a lot better with everyone.  So far you've broken cover in the middle of a potential ambush, you've freaked out the spokesman for a village where Dawid might have gotten a better reaction had you not moved and you've shot at someone most of the rest of us know, thereby alerting any enemy patrols in the vicinity.  As I said pull yourself together and make yourself someone we're glad to have around!"

Jan then offered his hand to Thor to shake.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 140 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Tue 4 May 2010
at 03:24
Re: The Road
"Okay, Ondar take shooters, cover flank," Ondar nods in agreement with Piotrowski's proposed assignment.  "Ondar and wookiee alone, or is another?"

The defector sizes up the Norseman.

"No umm ... hard feeling.  Ondar spot.  You shoot."

He squints.

"Only when tell, understand?"

The Tuvan commando looks skyward and prepares to cover the team's departure.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1826 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 4 May 2010
at 13:53
Re: The Road
In reply to Alexei Ondar (msg #443):

"Thank you, Ondar."

"Dieter, I'm putting Ondar in charge of the sharpshooter section."

"Thor, Warren, Ondar's in command now. Do what he says."
Warren got the impression the pointed reminder was more for Thor's benefit.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1791 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 5 May 2010
at 02:43
The Ruins of Warsaw

Monday, October 23rd, 2000
0530 hrs.
22F
Light overcast
Approximately 2km east of Warsaw, Poland



With the party's baggage- both physical and psychological- once again packed away, you set out on the road to Warsaw. The road itself is narrow- only two lanes here- and the bare limbs of the trees that line both sides of the road meet overhead. Consequently, the snow on the road is not quite as deep as it was in the open areas around the hamlet in which you spent the day. You have to take it slow, though, and watch your footing because of the layer of ice residing just below the snow.

You walk on through the jet-dark night. It is bitterly cold. Without NVGs, you can't see much of anything. You have to rely on your sense of hearing to make sure you don't run into the person ahead of tou or lag too far behind.

As you head further west, you come across patches in the wood where many of the trees have been blasted down to shattered stumps. In one of these blasted zones you find several rusted-out military trucks- probably Soviet relics of the siege of Warsaw- long since forgotten. The road has been mostly cleared of the fallen trees but here and there you have to cross a trunk that is lying across the road. It appears unlikely that this travelled often (if at all) by wheeled vehicles. That, in and of itself, seems to suggest that you don't have to worry about one of the Baron's motorized patrols.

It takes you about 5 hours to traverse just over 10km. You cautiously leave the shelter of the trees and survey a small village that your map identifies as Okuniew. Just off the road, you find a holed and mangled metal road sign that confirms the village's identity. There are no lights shining from gaps in the curtains, no smoke curling from the chimneys. Many of the houses are gone but for the piles of rubble littering their foundations.

In the empty shell of a burned out house, beneath the impromptu  blackout canopy of his poncho, Konrad inspects his map. Several small side roads lead away from Okuniew, through fields and trees, into the outskirts of east bank Warsaw. He selects one of them, leading away from the village, roughly to the northwest, and leads the group along this and similar back roads towards the city.

As you creep closer to Warsaw, you notice that more and more of the old growth trees are dead. Those still standing look damaged beyond the ability of nature to repair. There is quite a lot of new growth here, but much of it is withered with the onset of early winter.

You come to one of Warsaw's easternmost suburbs, a detached neighborhood of what must have been relatively new residential homes not so long ago. You couldn't tell by looking at them now, though. Most of the structures here have been more or less flattened. Their remains lie in rubble piles that fan out towards the east. Craig points out that the destruction here must surely have been a result of the nuclear blast that pulverized the railroad switching yards and and the light industrial parks that bordered them just a few kilometers to the west of your current position, on the eastern outskirts of Warsaw proper. The blanket of snow that covers everything here gives the ruined neighborhood a somewhat peaceful appearance, but it can't completely hide the utter devastation that surrounds you.

The sun will be up in a couple of hours. Craig assures you that this area is not usually guarded or routinely patrolled by the Baron's men. Considering recent events, however, this could have changed. For the moment, at least, you appear to have this atomic wasteland all to yourself.


Next Moves?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...1983,0.2635&z=13


Time to peruse the rads rules...

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:02, Wed 05 May 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1829 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 5 May 2010
at 04:21
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #445):

The chance of radioactivity was slight, but not completely absent. As a precaution, Dawid took out his Geiger counter, switched it on, then hung it on his webbing.

The Polish-made DP-75 counter was an accurate instrument with several settings and a dosimeter dial, but it had a wand that needed to be carried.

Dawid's element was to the rear, so he deployed them to cover the flanks and rear.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:09, Wed 05 May 2010.

Alexei Ondar
 player, 141 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Wed 5 May 2010
at 05:58
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Ondar used the time spent on the road march to silently observe and evaluate the newer members of the team.  He made note of how the men walked, carried themselves and interacted with each other while assessing their agility, weapons handling and noise discipline.

Upon arrival at the most recent stopping point, Ondar directed the sharpshooters to set up an overwatch.

"Fan out."

He spoke for the first time since leaving the hamlet.  He took a knee and surveyed the what remained of the western skyline through his rifle optics.  It was cold, dark and eerily quiet, the only sound the ominously slow static ticking of Piotrowski's geiger counter.



[Ondar]
Atop nearby rubble.
SVU-AS (10/10) + 6x10rd mags 7.62mmL
Assessing local security.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:26, Wed 05 May 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 118 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Wed 5 May 2010
at 06:20
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Alexei Ondar:
Ondar used the time spent on the road march to silently observe and evaluate the newer members of the team.  He made note of how the men walked, carried themselves and interacted with each other while assessing their agility, weapons handling and noise discipline.

Upon arrival at the most recent stopping point, Ondar directed the sharpshooters to set up an overwatch.

"Fan out."


Dieter followed the order, and moved away to find a good OP where he could base himself. He settled in, scanning the horizon for movement.

He had walked in silence during the night. He had been happy to relinquish leadership of the ever-growing sharpshooter element to a man who might acutally want to do it, and have the skill as well. Dieter was a good sniper, but, as he had told people on many occasions, was no leader. He tried to fathom this newest arrival, not quite sure what to make of him. It was clear that he was ex-Soviet military, and had been involved in atrocities during the war. But now he had turned traitor, and defected away from his Soviet leaders. This made him dangerous and untrustworthy. However, the more established members of the party, such as Dawid and Jan, seemed to trust him, and like him as well. Dieter was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, and let him prove himself. Besides, he had one big plus on his side - he wasn't Thor...
Jan Cerny
 player, 504 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 5 May 2010
at 11:44
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Jan had taken his turn on point several times, leading them along the path.  Though it was dark Jan was old enough to have trained to fight at night without NVGs and it didn't bother him to rely on his hearing as much as what he could see in the gloom of night.

Once they had stopped at 05:30 Jan glanced again at the map, looking for somewhere to spend the day hiding out from any patrols.  "There's some kind of big building marked on the map here that might be good to lay up in for the day," he muttered to Konrad and any others close enough to hear as he pointed to a particular building on the map.  "Looks to be about three or four hundred meters north north west of us.  What do you think?"

They all needed some food again after walking all day and a large building would help mask a cooking fire should Konrad allow that.  It might well not be the warmest of places but if they picked a smaller room inside then Drew's paint can heaters and a cooking fire should hopefully keep them warm enough during the day, though the weather seemed to have eased off for the present anyway and the heaters might prove unnecessary.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1198 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 5 May 2010
at 18:09
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Jan Cerny:
"Looks to be about three or four hundred meters north north west of us.  What do you think?"


"Sounds good. We'll proceed past it and do another dog leg as we did last night. While we're doing this, you and Quyen will flank around to the north and head back to scout the buildings." Bayer whispers. He then shakes Quyen's arm to ensure she heard her name being mentioned. Like Jan, Bayer wasn't using his NVGs.

As the lead members of the patrol continued to resume moving forward, Bayer whispers into his radio to Dawid and the two sniper commanders, his intentions on halting for the night. Although he also had a Geiger counter in his rucksack, he decided not to dig it out yet. Ending his transmission with a question, he asks "Dawid, what's the rad count here? Over."

Navigating the group into a hide (the one Jan suggested)

This message was last edited by the player at 18:11, Wed 05 May 2010.

Minh Quyen
 player, 493 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 5 May 2010
at 18:23
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Quyen feels the tug on her arm and whispers back, "No problem sir."

Once the party was on the final stage of closing in on their stopping point, Quyen will scout out the building with Jan as instructed. "Clover leaf first and then move in?" she suggests to him before they actually reach the site.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1833 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 5 May 2010
at 19:56
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #450):

Dawid checked the counter.

"Nothing to be worried about. The vegetation around here was probably affected by the immediate fallout, not continuing contamination."

"We were told unless we walked into a blast crater, and I mean a big one, we have nothing to worry about this long after an attack. It's not like Chernobyl, where a lot of heavy contamination was spewed out in to the local environment from ruptured containment units. Fallout from most bombs is made of light particles that have a short half-life, and most go up with the fireball, not down. Warszawa would have been an industrial target hit with airbursts and that means little fallout. Not a hardened silo or installation targeted with groundbursts. Or a reactor/waste containment unit/nuclear weapons storage facility. Now, those latter sites would be radioactive for hundreds of years!"


He wasn't quite correct in the details, as he was half-remembering lectures by army special radiological troops. Not to mention countless whispered rumours traded around between nervous soldiers looking to be reassured.

Eager to put that out of his mind, Dawid changed the subject. "Kapitan, per Dieter's suggestion, I'm not going to put Ondar and Thor together. Frankly, Thor is too much of a liability to trust in my opinion, but if we are going to keep him, let's not tempt fate by putting him directly under an ex-Soviet. Dieter's obviously not excited to be paired with Thor, either. Let's split the sharpshooters into two elements, one with Ondar/Dieter (Ondar commanding) and Warren/Thor (Warren commanding)."

"Also, based on discussions with Anneka before leaving, I suggest the two main elements (each with one GPMG) be deployed in Vee/Diamond formation, one after the other (you first) and one sharpshooter element on each flank. If we make contact to the front you can swing the rear element on-line to either side of yours. If it's to the side, we've already got considerable firepower deployed."


With Konrad's assent, he went to inform Dieter, Ondar, Thor and Warren of the further organisational changes.

His own element was bringing up the rear. It was organised with Mariusz in the lead and leading the horses, Dawid behind on the left, Jan behind on the right, and Sutherland bringing up the rear.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:53, Thu 06 May 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 714 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 5 May 2010
at 21:07
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Mariusz made sure that he held the reins firmly but without getting them tangled. The last thing he wanted was for the nags to panic and rip him apart. He looked at them nervously, horses were big, dumb and unpredictable, still, that put them higher on the evolutionary scale than Thor so it wasn't the worst assignment in the unit.

As the started out he said, "Fillet, Rack of ribs, heel."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 832 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 6 May 2010
at 00:42
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Tucker will stay with the main group while Jan & Minh move out to check out the buildings.  He takes up a position of cover, joining the others as they are following suit, or at least should be.  Robert waits to hear the readings from Dawid as he scans the area with his machine.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 119 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Thu 6 May 2010
at 05:59
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Dieter was delighted when Dawid told him about the element changes. Not working directly with Thor was going to be a real plus, although he felt sorry for Warren - he hoped the CIA man would have better luck with Thor than he had.

Once settled, Dieter planned to catch up with Ondar with the aim of building a rapport with him.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 58 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Thu 6 May 2010
at 06:15
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Jeff nods first at Dawid, and then at Thor. Thor had mentioned not trusting him earlier, but he had not yet tried to kill Jeff. So long as Jeff has his pistol on him, he wouldn't be too worried about Thor. "Callsign changes?" is all Jeff says to Dawid.

As they stop near the blast zone, and as Dawid gets out his geiger counter, Jeff speaks to the assembled group, "This was a British strike. 355 kiloton airburst, back in 1997.  Five more warheads fell on the West Bank. Same thing, 355 kt airbursts.  Radiation shouldn't be too bad."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1834 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 6 May 2010
at 08:34
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
In reply to Jeff D. Warren (msg #456):

"Okay, ah... you and Thor are Tornado-1 and 2. Ondar is Thunder-1, Dieter is 2."

He chuckled at Mariusz's nicknames for the horses. "Oh come on, we'd probably make stew, instead!"
Jan Cerny
 player, 509 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 6 May 2010
at 13:04
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Konrad Bayer:
"Sounds good. We'll proceed past it and do another dog leg as we did last night. While we're doing this, you and Quyen will flank around to the north and head back to scout the buildings." Bayer whispers. He then shakes Quyen's arm to ensure she heard her name being mentioned. Like Jan, Bayer wasn't using his NVGs.


Jan nodded at Konrad's orders and dug his NVGs out of his pack, letting them hang loose round his neck on their strap without turning them on.  He was conscious of saving the batteries and only planned to turn them on and use them if necessary.

He also took the opportunity to switch to his suppressed SMG, stowing his Steyr securely on his back.  If he did encounter something threatening he'd rather resolve it quietly if at all possible.


Minh Quyen:
Once the party was on the final stage of closing in on their stopping point, Quyen will scout out the building with Jan as instructed. "Clover leaf first and then move in?" she suggests to him before they actually reach the site.


An initial frown of confusion crossed Jan's face at the term clover leaf as he translated it into French (the language he though in) in an attempt to understand exactly what Quyen meant.  His English was very good but there were occasional phrases, particularly slang, that took him a few moments to understand.  Comprehension dawned after a few seconds.

"Yes, that is a good suggestion," he replied in a whisper with a nod of approval.  "I'll lead and you back me up.  Look out for animal droppings as well or for bits of discarded animal carcass.  There isn't much for feral dogs to live on around here but there's always the risk of something noisy that isn't human!"


Jan
Leading Quyen towards the building he picked out on the map and then scouting it in a clover leaf pattern working anti-clockwise.
PM-84 submachine gun w/suppressor
 - 9mmM (25/25)

Craig Sutherland
 player, 126 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 6 May 2010
at 20:28
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw

Craig follows the group at the rear stopping every 100 metres or so to check they where not being followed. He kept to himself not directly engaging in conversation.

When asked he will try to give as much good intel about the area as possible but it was a bit outside the Barons area of influence.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:04, Fri 07 May 2010.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1793 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 7 May 2010
at 01:00
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw

Monday, October 23rd, 2000
0615 hrs.
22F
Mostly cloudy skies; slight breeze from the north
Approximately 2km east of Warsaw, Poland



Minh and Jan move up and then dogleg back, reconoitering the area around the two-story building that's been picked out as the team's daylight hide site/shelter. It's difficult to perform a textbook cloverleaf due to the fallen timber, snow, and rubble that dots the area. Despite the difficulties, they determine that the area around the building is all clear.

While the others maintain a wagon-wheel defensive perimeter a couple of hundred meters away, Minh and Jan enter the four-story office building on its northeast side. Most of the opposite side of the building, facing the blast of the 355kt airburst that smashed the switching yards to the southwest, is partially collapsed. From ground level, you can see the tarred roof sagging towards the ground, creating a steep, ramp-like structure leading up to the still-intact sections of the roof.

The inside of the building is a mess. There's quite a bit of water damage. Pieces of the ceiling hang down, revealing glimpses of the twisted guts of the building (vents, conduits, pipes, and wires). Interior walls have fallen away from the partially collapsed southwest side, pushing office furniture into tangled heaps and piles. Despite the clutter, there is enough space here to set up camp, at least until nightfall.

As Jan rounds a corner, squeezing past a fallen filing cabinet, he hears movement from deeper in the building. He signals Minh to take a knee and continues to listen. Someone or something is shuffling about in a large, open room just ahead. It's very dark inside. Dawn's early light has yet to filter into this suburban cavern. Jan turns on his night vision goggles and lifts them to his eyes. Turning his head to the right, he comes face to face with a terrifyingly primal image straight out of a feverish nightmare. Large, glowing eyes stare back at him from a long, hairy face. The many horned beast leaps towards the Legionairre and Jan barely has time to fall aside before he's gored and trampled. The animal bursts past Jan and Minh and runs down the hallway they've just traversed. It's gone by the time the scouts recognize the terror for what it was. They can hear the male buck's hooves slip and slide on the curled linoleum and wet concrete as it makes its escape from the building. Quickly composing themselves, Jan and Minh complete the recon and determine that the building is indeed uninhabited (by humans, at least).

Satisfied that their job is done, Minh and Jan radio the rest of the team the all clear. The rest of the team rise and move towards the buidling in open order.

With the horses tied up right outside, the team is reunited in a large, open, windowless office area (like what you'd see in a big city cop or newpaper movie) deep within the building. It is dark and dank here, but it does provide you with shelter and you should be able to build a small fire hear without it being observed from the outside. Venting the smoke will be a challenge, but as long as the fire is kept small, you shouldn't run the risk of asphyxiating yourselves.

Outside the building, Dawid's geiger counter reported slightly elevated radiation levels- just above normal and well below what would be considered dangerous.

You begin to set up camp. The sun has just climbed above the horizon. There are some patches of clear blue in the party cloudy sky. The worst of the storm front seems to have passed through.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:01, Fri 07 May 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 266 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Fri 7 May 2010
at 03:12
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw

Drew it cold, tired and more than frusterated by the time they reach the days camp.  He follows knowing his place with the heaviest support weapon, he will be about third or fourth in the line of march.  He pauses and insinctively takes a knee and aims his weapon in the direction of the noise where the deer had come.  <You've watched "I Am Legend" recently haven't you?>

  Drew pauses inside the building closing his eyes letting them adjust to the darkness and lets what is left of his hearing perk up to help him navigate through the corpse of a once living building.  He will pause on occassion to listen for movement and let the echoes of their footsteps fade.

  When they begin looking for a place to camp he will suggest in a whisper,

"I think we should set up camp in a stairwell, maybe on an upper floor.  We'll have the highground and limited avenues of aproach, and we can hide our fire and the smoke will follow it up and disapate before it hits the roof."

Drew will survey their area and find a place that is out of the draft, dry, even an old desk and if possible atop several reems of paper or files or even cushions from old chairs or a couch. And try and nap.  In this mode he will combat sleep like he has done hundreds of nights since the war began and like his Marine forefathers had done so often in all their other campaigns.  Dressed, with weapons worn or his hands on them.  In this case he will sleep with his head on his machinegun as it sits on its bipod, or at the least his hand and arm resting over the top of it as it is close to his side.  <OOC;  It is not that bad to use the stock as a pillow when the weapon rests on its bipod, did it most of the time in the field.>


Sgt Drew
M240 under his hand, M1911 in its shoulder holster
Scouting a place to rack out
Dieter Brandt
 player, 122 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Fri 7 May 2010
at 07:41
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Entering the damaged building, Dieter remained on full alert. Although he had confidence in his team's abilities, they had completely missed Warren when the entered a small cottage, and this building was a lot bigger with more places to hide.

Once inside he headed upstairs, double-checking all possible hiding places. Once satisfied he sought out a good OP on an upper floor, aiming to get a good view of the surrounding environment. At this early hour he was specifically looking for light sources, or rising smoke from early morning cooking fires, as well as any movement.

Once he found a good spot, he settled down for a rest, still keeping an eye on the surrounding area.

Dieter Brandt
On an upper floor, watching surrounding area
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers

This message was last edited by the player at 07:43, Fri 07 May 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1835 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 7 May 2010
at 11:16
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #460):

Not being an expert, Dawid could only relay the basic information. He needed to set the detector at the highest setting to get a reading.

"Uh... there's no danger? We're receiving negligible radiation, I believe, background, if a little higher. Although, I don't know what the normal background count is here, it could be elevated anyways compared to elsewhere for all I know. Less than point oh-oh-one millirem a minute. We'd need to stay, like, a year to pick up a rad. So, we could pick up a lethal dose in five hundred years?" He frowned, unsure of the result or his math.

They had 2 sniper elements, more than enough to keep a 136 degree watch from the roof while they got set up. Once inside, Dawid set up the entire team for all-around defence if needed. The horses were stabled inside the large ground-floor office space, and a room with a toilet designated the latrine (with water to be used to flush it).

"I think it's a good idea to set actual camp in the upper floor, near the stairwell. However, we'll also need fighting positions in the perimeter of the floor where we go if there's an alert."

He has Minh set booby-traps and noise-makers on the perimeter. Although one wall is collapsed, but there were still natural avenues of approach and entry.

"Kapitan, two-hour watches?"

This message was last edited by the player at 03:22, Sat 08 May 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 511 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 7 May 2010
at 15:31
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
The image of the deer viewed through NVGs had freaked Jan out briefly but he composed himself to complete the recce of the building with Quyen, with his NVGs turned off again.  Finding nothing immediately threatening Jan radioed for the rest of the unit to join them and set up camp.

While initial preparations for a day hidden out of sight were started however Jan continued searching the building, with Tuck this time if he was happy to join Jan as Quyen was off setting up booby-traps and noise-makers at Dawid's direction.  He wanted to double check that there were no old camp fires or signs that anyone else had used this building in the recent past as a place to lay up.  He was fairly certain that it was just another derelict ruin but it paid to be certain that they hadn't accidentally picked someone else's favourite camping spot!

If he found anything he planned to report it to the rest of the unit but either way he intended to get some sleep and food.  He was glad that the weather had eased up but he was still tired and in need of some rest and something to eat.  He wondered what Mariusz would manage to conjure out of the rations The Bishop had provided.  It was dull food to work with but Mariusz might manage to make it interesting to eat!

The though of food was still on Jan's mind when he came across Dieter on his extended search of the building.  It was probably a bad idea to attempt a hunting trip this close to Warsaw but Dieter had the right weapon for the job in his bow.

"Dieter," he muttered while the sniper studied their surroundings through his scope.  "It's probably a bad idea but Quyen and I encountered a deer when we first scouted this place."

He patted the German on his shoulder before making his way back to their camp.  It had been set up on a stairwell and that seemed like a good idea to Jan.  He was helping to unload the provisions they would need for the day when a thought occurred to him.

"I heard someone saying something about a minimal increase in background radiation.  While that isn't dangerous do we need to worry about the water here?  Will that act to concentrate it?"  He hadn't looked for a water source yet but caution might be needed with any nearby streams that were running across irradiated soil.  Filling canteens with the remaining snow might be an option but that still ran a level of risk, although a lower one.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 123 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Fri 7 May 2010
at 16:08
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Jan Cerny:
The though of food was still on Jan's mind when he came across Dieter on his extended search of the building.  It was probably a bad idea to attempt a hunting trip this close to Warsaw but Dieter had the right weapon for the job in his bow.

"Dieter," he muttered while the sniper studied their surroundings through his scope.  "It's probably a bad idea but Quyen and I encountered a deer when we first scouted this place."


Dieter perked up at the mention of a possible hunt. "A hunt would be good, although I think we are okay for meat at the moment. If we come back this way it might be worth trying to find it again. Thanks for the information."

As he finished the conversation he made a point of looking for possible signs of the deer, or any others in the area. A hunt would certainly be fun...
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 715 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 7 May 2010
at 16:43
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Mariusz looked for a place to stable the big monsters and then said, "Does anyone know how to look after these things? I haven't a clue?"

He stretched and loosened his aching muscles and then said, "I'll volunteer for fire wood collection if you want."
Craig Sutherland
 player, 127 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 8 May 2010
at 04:46
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw

As the others move off towards the buildings Craig stays in place for several minutes then takes a more concealed position beside a tree. He pulls his scrim over the top half of his body and observes the trail they had taken for approx half an hour.

Once happy they where not being followed Craig moves inside. Helping as much as he can with setting up their new camp he keeps off his ankle as much as possible.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1836 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 8 May 2010
at 06:11
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #466):

"Do you mean that? Nothing to it, my frirnd. Here, let me show you..."

Dawid takes the time to show Mariusz (and anyone else interested) how to look after the horses, grooming the feeding them.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1200 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 8 May 2010
at 09:19
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Kapitan, two-hour watches?"


Bayer nods his agreement and then goes to dump his ruck off inside the building.

Mariusz Tokarski:
He stretched and loosened his aching muscles and then said, "I'll volunteer for fire wood collection if you want."


"Ok Mariusz, you do that, but take someone with you though. And try to get dry stuff to keep the smoke down." Bayer says settling his gear in a corner. "Besides that, we're keeping outside movements to zero unless there is necessity."

Sitting against the wall, Bayer unfolds his map and shines a light on it. Speaking aloud he says, "By tomorrow we'll be in position to set up a patrol base near the potential objectives. At the moment the crater is between us and the Baron, so we'll detour around it tomorrow. Moving through the rubble will probably be slow and dangerous, but we should be able to make in one move."

Looking up from the red glow, he looks for either Sutherland or Warren, "Praga-Poludnie... northeast of the second cultivated area. Is it inhabited? Is it within the regular patrolling limits? Or the area to the northwest of there."

This message was last edited by the player at 09:20, Sat 08 May 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 512 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 8 May 2010
at 10:19
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Noticing Craig hobbling a little Jan muttered to him.  "Want me to have a look at that?"

There probably wasn't much Jan could do but it might be worth a look.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 143 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Sat 8 May 2010
at 10:26
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Ondar dutifully stands watch while the team settles in to the abandoned structure.  He braces against the chill of the morning breeze and clenches his teeth to keep them from chattering.

"You hunter, Deeterbrant?"  he queries of the German marksman.  "I hunter, too.  You want chase food is okay go."

He continues to survey the western horizon, remaining low to prevent being silhouetted by rising sun to his back.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1794 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 8 May 2010
at 17:15
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw

Monday, October 23rd, 2000
1830 hrs.
25F
Mostly cloudy skies; slight breeze from the north
Approximately 2km east of Warsaw, Poland



The day passes uneventfully. You move camp to the second story. Several gaps in the walls created by the collapse of the southwest side of the building allow a little bit of daylight to filter in. The campfire is built on a landing in one of the stairwells. Most of the smoke climbs the stairs to the upper floors, as planned. You eat, check your gear, sleep, and swap stories.

From the roof, you can't really see anything of interest. The skyline of the city has been cut down to stubble by the fighting during the siege and the nuclear strikes that followed. The snow masks some of the devastation. You think you see some white smoke to the west and southwest but it's difficult to be sure with clouds stretching across the sky as far as you can see in all directions.

Night falls and you can actually see some stars. You pack up again and get ready to move into Warsaw proper. Earlier in the day, Craig marked the major checkpoints he remembers on the map. He explains that regular patrols radiated outwards from each checkpoint along the cleared roads. Horse and vehicle-mounted patrols sometimes push out to around 15km from the city. He also marks the Baron's granary on the map- it is located in the second story of a building located near his headquarters in the former Egyptian embassy. He explains that local kids are employed keeping the city's rat population away from the grain and other foodstuffs with slingshots and clubs.


Next Moves?

Updated Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...1986,0.2635&z=13

I need patrol route and march order/formation for this turn.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:16, Sat 08 May 2010.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 61 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Sat 8 May 2010
at 18:11
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
"From this point my local knowledge is limited.  My mission was to recon the city for just that purpose."

Jeff examines the map, complete with Craig's new updates closely.  He turns first to Craig, "How many men, and how well equipped are those checkpoints?  Same question, but for the Barracks near the Baron's palace.  Also is this building (Building 2 in picture) occupied, or even standing?"

Jeff then turns to Konrad, "Hauptmann, this building here (2) provides good line of sight to the Baron's Palace (1).  Sharpshooters there could likely hit him as he exits the place, and given the size of the building, and range to target at plus or minus 400 meters, it should be a fairly easy shot with a reasonable chance of escape.  That would solve your little Baron problem.

I was going to radio the 10th with this update, but I will wait until just before we move in order to minimize chance of them finding us.  Anyway, I was going to tell them the location of the weapon's we stashed, as well as the spare mags and firing pins, if we leave them somewhere.  I was also going to recommend they approach from the SE, so they can hopefully take out the Baron's palace and these 2 Barrack's, as well as rescue the scouts and raid the granary, all in one strike.  To do that though, we will need to draw the Baron's men north. Sniper attacks, IED's, and quick raids would be our best bet, given the size of his forces.  If these checkpoints are as small as Craig claims, you could even knock a couple off.  If you go this route, I can take a sharpshooter down to the building I previously mentioned if you wish us to assassinate the Baron.

There is one other thing we can try.  If I radio the 10th, we could also try and organize a supply drop.  I was thinking a sniper rifle for myself to help take the shot, as well as anything you and your men want.  The plane would also be loaded with leaflets to distribute over Warsaw.  Perhaps the sight of air power, as well as the leaflets which would likely mention the 'menacing Soviet 10th Tank Division' and the 'Crusader Army' would be enough to cause open conflict amongst the Baron's men.  You never know.  These flights are precious and rare, but if I threaten to kill Salesman I'm sure he'll find a way to pull some strings."




This message was last edited by the player at 18:13, Sat 08 May 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 124 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Sat 8 May 2010
at 21:13
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Alexei Ondar:
Ondar dutifully stands watch while the team settles in to the abandoned structure.  He braces against the chill of the morning breeze and clenches his teeth to keep them from chattering.

"You hunter, Deeterbrant?"  he queries of the German marksman.  "I hunter, too.  You want chase food is okay go."

He continues to survey the western horizon, remaining low to prevent being silhouetted by rising sun to his back.


"Hunting would be fun, but there is no need today. Maybe another time. We could head out together another time; I've been aching to get my bow out again." At the last comment he indicated the bow stapped to his pack.

It was clear that Ondar's English wasn't great, but it was probably better than Dieter's basic Russian. Still, he seemed like a personable character, and was making an effort to be friendly - a gesture Dieter really appreciated.

After the conversation he went back to sentry duty, and then spent the remainder of the day resting and making sure his kit was clean and dry, as well as grabbing some hot food if offered and doing his ablutions. From here on in they were more likely to encounter hostile forces, which meant cold camp and precious little rest. So he took advantage of the time to get as much sleep as he could, hopefully with no nightmares this time.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 834 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 9 May 2010
at 17:24
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Robert helps unload their gear once they get to the building they'll be using for the night.  Once that is all done, he will see what watch or task he has and then prepare for the rest of the day accordingly with his sleep and maintenance of gear and weapons.  Once he's done with his duties, he will seek out a place to bed down and change clothes until they move out again.

Once they're ready to move out again, Tucker will move over to where Drew is getting his shit together and ask him in a quiet voice, "Hey Drew!  Is it just me or does this new guy Warren have too many 'good to be true' offers for us?  I mean offering to send us back home or all of this equipment he can airdrop for us?"
Steven Drew
 player, 268 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sun 9 May 2010
at 18:44
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Robert helps unload their gear once they get to the building they'll be using for the night.  Once that is all done, he will see what watch or task he has and then prepare for the rest of the day accordingly with his sleep and maintenance of gear and weapons.  Once he's done with his duties, he will seek out a place to bed down and change clothes until they move out again.

Once they're ready to move out again, Tucker will move over to where Drew is getting his shit together and ask him in a quiet voice, "Hey Drew!  Is it just me or does this new guy Warren have too many 'good to be true' offers for us?  I mean offering to send us back home or all of this equipment he can airdrop for us?"



"Yeah Tuck.  Have a smoke?"  As he offers Tucker a cigarette <assuming they are inside and won't give away their position by smoking>  "I mean, this guy waltzes into camp, and poof, we are buddy buddy....we've known him since last night.  I mean, who is he?  Some kinda spook?  Those fuckers can't be trusted....I kinda wish I'd brought more ammo.  I got a strange feeling we may have a long walk.  Then again, he could bail on us....oh shit!"  Drew goes pale.

"Those fuckers who joined us and then the one who bailed at the farm house.  What's his name.  He was one of the barrons men right?  What if he really was a plant?  The fucker could be back tellin them all about us.  They'll know we are travelin light, or that the teeth of GK aren't around.  Shit, what a shit storm."

Drew pauses for a moment taking a couple drags of his cigarette then adds,

"Man, if this dude is a spook, we should get whatever resources we can before he burns us because he will eventualy.  Just like the rules of the NCO.  Accomplishment of the mission comes first, then the welfare of the men.  And we ain't his men, we're just some poor saps he coned into doing a job.  And you know how Cucomunga International Airlines works.  EXPENDABLE....."  Drew grins at the last bit.

"Tuck, we need ta keep our shit wired tight man.  If it goes South, we may end up running and gunning with alot of hostile people on our heels.  That shit happened ta me once before...fuck man....tell you what, that was the most terrifying time in my life when I was on the run with the Barrons guys on my ass....<As Drew takes a long deep drag of the harsh Russian cigarette>  We need ta come up with a plan, you and me if shit goes south.  A rally point somewhere ta meet up at."


Sgt Drew
M240, 1911 and now a Sawed Off 12 guage <rigged in a loop belt holster
Talking with Tucker about their future prospects
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1839 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 9 May 2010
at 23:02
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
In reply to Steven Drew (msg #476):

Hearing Drew's comments, Dawid ambled over. He couldn't hear what Tucker had said, but Drew was more emphatic in his comments and this needed some kind of response.

"Mister Drew, we only have your word as to where you come from."

"I was there, personally, when Arpel shot and killed one of the Baron's men and he didn't blow the ambush when he could. That engagement ended up costing the Baron a great deal, so it's crazy to think he was a mole. If he is possibly one of the Baron's men, then so are you, as you've done no more than him to gain our trust.

"I notice you run your mouth freely, complaining about the mission and wishing we would return immediately, asking about drugs and so on. You are undermining morale, and you have been warned. Do not do so again, or there will be serious consequences. We have real dangers like Thor to worry about, I can't be babysitting you too, I trust this is understood."


He kept his tone neutral, not angry but as a statement of fact. Dawid glanced at Tucker to see if the message had been absorbed, knowing the man didn't like him, but this was nothing personal between him and either man.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:03, Sun 09 May 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 269 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sun 9 May 2010
at 23:31
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
In reply to Steven Drew (msg #476):

Hearing Drew's comments, Dawid ambled over. He couldn't hear what Tucker had said, but Drew was more emphatic in his comments and this needed some kind of response.

"Mister Drew, we only have your word as to where you come from."

"I was there, personally, when Arpel shot and killed one of the Baron's men and he didn't blow the ambush when he could. That engagement ended up costing the Baron a great deal, so it's crazy to think he was a mole. If he is possibly one of the Baron's men, then so are you, as you've done no more than him to gain our trust.

"I notice you run your mouth freely, complaining about the mission and wishing we would return immediately, asking about drugs and so on. You are undermining morale, and you have been warned. Do not do so again, or there will be serious consequences. We have real dangers like Thor to worry about, I can't be babysitting you too, I trust this is understood."


  Drew eyes Dawid with an icey fire as he deliberly exhales the bluish acrid tobaco smoke never breaking eye contact with Dawid.  A faint smile cracks his lips as he turns his gloved hand over and gives him the finger.

  "I trust my message is understood too, you ass."  as he maintains his single finger salute.  "Unlike you fucktard, I am from a free society.  So fuck off, I ain't one of your commie flunkies who obey without question.  This was supposed ta be a recon mission, and it was blown from the get go so half the countryside knew we were here.  That tells me you fucks don't know jack.  As for drugs.  <as he Drew laughs>  yeah right.  Learn fuckin English dipwad.  I said "YOU!" <as he points towars Dawid> must be smokin crack with the fucked up way this ops been handled....tell me a shit load of mistakes haven't been made?  Tell me asshat!  As for trust...you distrust me.  Why am I humping the gun?  I'm still fuckin here ain't I?  I haven't run out like that Abel cat have I?  So the next time ya wanna talk shit think before you open your cock deposite ya fuckin piece of shit Europe trash!"

Drew flips the butt of his cigarette towards Dawid.

Sgt Drew
M240 next to him, 1911 and sawed-off 12 guage on him
Pissed at Dawid
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1840 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 10 May 2010
at 00:29
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
In reply to Steven Drew (msg #478):

Ignoring the smoke, Dawid chuckled and smiled. He exhaled his own plume (away from Drew) and instead took the cigarette out of his mouth and sipped some vodka from his bottle.

"My, I've heard much worse insults from far better people. You certainly see the deficiencies in my intelligence, but as I was born and raised on a farm, I think you could probably work in some allegations of sexual intercourse with farm animals that, sadly, I can't deny."

"Now, I don't accuse you of anything. I only point out that Arpel was as trusted as you because he, like you, also fought bravely against the Baron's men and didn't betray us when he had the chance. For that matter, not only at the prior ambush of the Black Guard did Arpel not betray us, he could well have alerted those horsemen at the farm they were riding into a trap without anyone being very suspicious."


He thought for a second, then continued, "I am not taking any drugs, so obviously you are using some kind of expression for being crazy. I am not crazy enough to insist things are going to plan. But only a fool and a complete idiot would keep pointing out the obvious, yes?" Again, this was more of a rhetorical question.

"I don't care what freedoms you think you have. Your "free" society just had a military coup, and the commie armies have obviously done a lot better than NATO. I fight and would give my life to make beloved Poland as free and democratic as the United States used to be, but that doesn't apply to us, here and now. What is true is that your complaining like an old senile woman is serving no purpose and you have been warned not to continue."

"As you seem so unhappy and argumentative, (and truly, who could blame you?) I will ask the Kapitan if you may be relieved of duty to return back to Gora Kalawria."


Assuming a relaxed pose while waiting for Drew's reply, he offered the bottle to both the other men, to see if they would take it.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:45, Mon 10 May 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 270 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Mon 10 May 2010
at 01:51
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #479):


"I got two words for you comrade, "Fuck" and "You."  I do my job, so blow me.  Send me back and well, you and me are gonna rock, ya got it.  Now get the fuck outa my face...don't even fuckin talk to me...don't even look at me from now on mutherfucker."  Drew refuses the bottle, his eyes are narrowed as he stares David straight in the eye.  The tension at the moment is like a Sergio Leone Western all that is needed is the music and terrible out of sync dialogue.

Sgt Drew
M240 at his side, sawed off and 1911
REALLY GETTING PISSED AT DAVID

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1841 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 10 May 2010
at 03:15
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
In reply to Steven Drew (msg #480):

"You want to fuck me? As well, "rock" is what we would do with prostitutes while we were on leave, for relaxation. You also wish me to suck on your penis, to "blow you"?"

Clearly toying with Drew, Dawid took another swig of vodka, then walked over to an old desk where he butted out his cigarette.

"Some less enlightened individuals would beat another person severely for that kind of decadent non-socialist lifestyle, but I would never do so, oh no! That said, I must admit I prefer women to men, so I thank you for your offer of sexual favours."

"I regret I won't be rocking, blowing or fucking you or any other men under any circumstances. Unless I'm really lonely. But to reiterate, you will be gone immediately if you continue your childishness and complaining. I trust you understand."


Dawid capped the bottle and put the butt in his pocket. He then shrugged in a "up to you!" gesture.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:34, Mon 10 May 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 272 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Mon 10 May 2010
at 03:37
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw

  Drew no longer giving a damn about being tactical,  shouts,

"HEY, DRUNKEN ASSHOLE! I TOLD YOU ONCE!  I WON'T WARN YOU AGAIN!"

Sgt Drew
M240 at his side, sawed off and 1911
Getting sick of Davids childishness at needing to get the last word as a means of provocation
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1844 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 10 May 2010
at 03:54
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
In reply to Steven Drew (msg #482):

Dawid shushed him, shaking his head.

"SHHHH! Come on, be an adult, for once."

His face lost the amused expression.

"Anyways, you've been warned and you know the consequences. Make your move now, if you want, but bear in mind that Germans are not tolerant of childishness and foolish behaviour. So think carefully."

He'd dropped the casual act, ready for an attack. They were in the common area, and so if Drew assaulted him or tried to kill him, there would be witnesses.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 144 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Mon 10 May 2010
at 04:39
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Ondar had stood down from his watch and found something hot to eat.  He observed silently as the Hauptmann was briefed on the local situation.  The Tuvan defector approached Warren, who was clearly no Soviet despite his manner of dress.

"Ondar have detail knowledge of RESET mission," Ondar opened.  "Mission now at end.  Before was killed, Clarence Milk say promise arrange transport to America if Ondar help rendezvous with remnant of Tenth.  You honor same promise, Ondar assist."

Following the conversation with Warren, Ondar found a corner in which to unroll his sleeping bag and crawled inside, intent on getting as much sleep as possible before to next move order came.  He briefly stirred as Piotrowski and the American Marine began to face off.  He shrugged, rolled over and was soon asleep again.
Steven Drew
 player, 274 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Mon 10 May 2010
at 05:51
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #483):

Drew forces a chuckle, then says lowly that only Tucker can hear,

"The fucker don't get it."

As he;
<to be posted in the am, tune in tomorrow boys and girls, same bat time, same bat channel!>


UPDATE:
(What Drew was going to do if Dawid opened his suck, which he did.  Draw his 12 guage and fire one barrel at his midsection holding low to hit the waiste and especialy groin with lots of arteries and blood vessels and the bonus of mangaling his manhood so he knows he is a eunich before he bleeds out.  Then aiming the second barrel deliberly to follow up in the same location.  Drew meant it when he said he was done talking to Dawin.  That, was the ghost of Christmas that never was.  Alas, the GM did not respond to the functionality of Drews side arms.)

  What Drew did do since we moved beyond the point where such actions would make no sense.

 Drew pulled out a single shotgun shell, smiled and pointed at Dawid with it.  Mouthing "FOR YOU!"

  He puts his special round in his blouse pocket and pats it leaving the room ignoring any further discussion or comments by the Polish Artilleryman whom he now hates with a passion.


Sgt Drew
M240 at his side, sawed-off and 1911
Getting irked with the trading of barbs

This message was last edited by the player at 02:24, Tue 11 May 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 716 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 10 May 2010
at 07:04
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Mariusz moved over to the Kaptain and said, "Mr. Warren's plan is an interesting if risky one but I doubt that assassinating the Baron will be as easy as he says. When I was leaving Warsaw we had no end of trouble moving because of all the rubble and craters caused by the conventional bombing and shelling. That was before the nuclear strikes."
Dieter Brandt
 player, 127 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Mon 10 May 2010
at 07:53
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Dieter had been sleeping peacefully, until woken by the row between Dawid and Drew. He had missed the beginning of the conversation, and will still groggy at the conclusion, but guessed that the brash American had pissed off the Pole, again. Those two were never going to be best friends, but Dieter was confident that both would pull together when the shit hit the fan.

He got up, quickly changing into fresh clothes and packing up his kit. Once done he went to find Mariusz, whom he guessed had been charged with preparing a meal. Hopefully there was some coffee on the go, although he guessed fresh croissants weren't on the menu. He had developed a taste for them as a youngster, as his Mother had been a big fan after living in France for many years as a young woman before she married his Father.

Finding whoever was sorting the catering, he helped himself to a drink. Coffee if available, a slug of water if not. If food was ready he also grabbed a portion and ate quickly.

Seeing Bayer, Ondar and Warren in discussion, he guessed they were making plans for later. Leaving them to it, Dieter decided to do a search of the bulding they were in to see if anything useful could be unearthed. As the building was a ruin rather than having been abandoned he guessed that there may be some interesting artifacts to be found. Leaving his pack in the designated "kitchen" area, he slung his rifle over his pack and started his search, beginning with the ground floor.

Dieter Brandt
Searching the building for useful items, starting with ground floor
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers

This message was last edited by the player at 08:21, Mon 10 May 2010.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 63 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Mon 10 May 2010
at 08:53
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Warren is finishing up talking with Bayer as Ondar approaches.  He is about to get ready for the second watch, when Ondar speaks to him.  Jeff can't help but be taken aback a bit by the content of the message, although you can barely tell.  He quickly regains himself, before speaking.

"RESET was never part of my orders, however I recognize that my superior considered it highly important.  When I next radio him, I will inform him of your intentions.  If he cleared the offer in the first place, I imagine it still stands, and you will get your wish.  As luck would have it, the 10th is headed here, so we will likely rendezvous in the coming days.  In the meantime, I recommend you avoid getting shot, so that you can pass on your knowledge."

He takes a step closer to the man, and adds in perfect, native sounding Russian, "Я хотел бы также рекомендовать, что вы пишете то, что вы знаете, в случае, если вы убиты. Убрать его в безопасное место, как среди своих передач, или со мной. Я не доверяю другим, но вы, кажется, быть в хороших отношениях, по крайней мере пара. В знак веры, я бы не стал читать его, пока мы не достигнем десятый или смерти, так что вы знаете, я не использую вас."


After he is finished talking with both Alexei and Bayer, he will eat quickly, and then take his post on watch.  After watch he will go straight to sleep.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:53, Mon 10 May 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 128 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 10 May 2010
at 09:50
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw

Craig shuffles into the new camp just as Dawid and Drew are about to get into it. He drops his pack and over white's and sets about setting his gear out. He undoes the snap on the sheath of the Kukri strapped to his shoulder webbing and continues getting his gear ready for the coming day.

If he is not required to undertake sentry duty straight off he will get some sleep.
Jan Cerny
 player, 517 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 10 May 2010
at 15:39
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Jan sat on the sidelines watching the argument develop between Dawid and Drew.  He had commented previously that they resembled a group of mercenaries more than a trained military unit and it seemed like they were starting to act like mercenaries as well.  He thought about getting involved but decided that it was better to let the two of them work it out between themselves.

He was much more interested in listening in to the discussion between Konrad and Warren.  He found what the CIA man had to say very interesting and it raised a whole load of questions and some concerns with how their little unit was operating.

Jan stood up from where he had been relaxing on his sleeping bag and moved across to talk to Tuck and Quyen as the other two Americans besides Drew and Warren.  Though he hadn't know either Tuck or Quyen for very long he'd worked with them long enough to regard them as friends.  If nothing else he liked the pair of them!

"Tuck.  Quyen," he muttered quietly as he crouched down beside them.  "Sorry if I'm about to tell you things that you already know but I may have some news for you.  Remember I was still living in civilisation until a couple of months ago and so quite probably have had a greater access to information than you've had in recent times."

He flashed them a friendly grin which then changed to a serious look as he continued.

"All the political commentators in the French media talk about the chaos in the States and that there is a divided US government.  I don't think that there is anything like a civil war or open conflict but there is a Military government that most of the armed forces accept the legitimacy of and a Civilian government that some of the armed forces and, crucially in our current situation, the CIA accept as legitimate.  I believe that means Warren reports to the Civilian government whereas you, technically, were members of the Military government's forces and that potentially puts you in an awkward position.  Personally I don't care about the distinction between two American governments and the loyalty conflicts it represents obviously don't affect me but I wasn't sure whether you knew about the difference and I wanted to ensure that you understood that aiding Warren may be something that your commanders disapprove of.  Personally I think that Warren talks a lot of sense and as long as his objectives coincide with ours I'm prepared to help him but I'm way past any conflicted loyalty situation with my adopted country, even if that was relevant!  I'm telling you this because I regard you both as friends and I wanted to make sure you understood the importance of some of the things Warren talks about.  If you know all of this then tell me to shut up and I'll leave it."

He smiled again as he finished talking.
Minh Quyen
 player, 494 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 10 May 2010
at 17:05
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Steven Drew:
Drew no longer giving a damn about being tactical,  shouts, "HEY, DRUNKEN ASSHOLE! I TOLD YOU ONCE!  I WON'T WARN YOU AGAIN!"


From her corner of the room Quyen replies quietly and indifferent, "Quit compromising hide security."

She then leans back on her rucksack/pillow and massages her leg wounds and thinking of being in better places than this.

Jan Cerny:
Jan stood up from where he had been relaxing on his sleeping bag and moved across to talk to Tuck and Quyen as the other two Americans besides Drew and Warren.

"Tuck.  Quyen," he muttered quietly as he crouched down beside them.  "Sorry if I'm about to tell you things that you already know but I may have some news for you."


Quyen listens and replies afterward, "Yeah, I've heard things along those lines. And... while I have my own unflattering views of the CIA, my boss is willing to go along with him for the time being. Doesn't mean I believe anything he says is true though."

Then without warning she leans over and slaps Tucker on the thigh, reversing the seriousness of the moment with a little joking around, "Ain't that right Tuck?" Then nodding at Jan she says, "He saved my life the other day. Hauptmann's going to see about getting em a medal."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:07, Mon 10 May 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 717 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 10 May 2010
at 17:09
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Amidst the shouting, Mariusz said to the Kaptain, "Call me when it's my turn for sentry duty."

He picked up his gear and retreated to a cold corner away from the aggressive posturing. He laid his gear out carefully, shelter half in contact with the floor, overwhites on top of the shelter half and the shelter half liner over that. He laid his sleeping bag over the layers of insulation and then checked that his weapons and gear ere all working well.

He laid his weapons to one side and looked around sadly. Things felt as if they were falling apart, too many masters and too many objectives were vying corrosive ego clashes were tearing the unit apart. He gnawed nervously on a piece of black bread wishing it was chocolate, wishing the whole damned war had never happened and that he was at home with his mother and father revising for exams and eating his mother's borscht.

He wriggled into his sleeping bag and pulled down the flaps on his forage cap. He did up the shelter half around him and then turned his back to the noise, trying to sleep whilst ignoring the tears welling in his eyes.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 836 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 10 May 2010
at 21:17
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Steven Drew:
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Robert helps unload their gear once they get to the building they'll be using for the night.  Once that is all done, he will see what watch or task he has and then prepare for the rest of the day accordingly with his sleep and maintenance of gear and weapons.  Once he's done with his duties, he will seek out a place to bed down and change clothes until they move out again.

Once they're ready to move out again, Tucker will move over to where Drew is getting his shit together and ask him in a quiet voice, "Hey Drew!  Is it just me or does this new guy Warren have too many 'good to be true' offers for us?  I mean offering to send us back home or all of this equipment he can airdrop for us?"



"Yeah Tuck.  Have a smoke?"  As he offers Tucker a cigarette <assuming they are inside and won't give away their position by smoking>  "I mean, this guy waltzes into camp, and poof, we are buddy buddy....we've known him since last night.  I mean, who is he?  Some kinda spook?  Those fuckers can't be trusted....I kinda wish I'd brought more ammo.  I got a strange feeling we may have a long walk.  Then again, he could bail on us....oh shit!"  Drew goes pale.

"Those fuckers who joined us and then the one who bailed at the farm house.  What's his name.  He was one of the barrons men right?  What if he really was a plant?  The fucker could be back tellin them all about us.  They'll know we are travelin light, or that the teeth of GK aren't around.  Shit, what a shit storm."

Drew pauses for a moment taking a couple drags of his cigarette then adds,

"Man, if this dude is a spook, we should get whatever resources we can before he burns us because he will eventualy.  Just like the rules of the NCO.  Accomplishment of the mission comes first, then the welfare of the men.  And we ain't his men, we're just some poor saps he coned into doing a job.  And you know how Cucomunga International Airlines works.  EXPENDABLE....."  Drew grins at the last bit.

"Tuck, we need ta keep our shit wired tight man.  If it goes South, we may end up running and gunning with alot of hostile people on our heels.  That shit happened ta me once before...fuck man....tell you what, that was the most terrifying time in my life when I was on the run with the Barrons guys on my ass....<As Drew takes a long deep drag of the harsh Russian cigarette>  We need ta come up with a plan, you and me if shit goes south.  A rally point somewhere ta meet up at."

Tucker takes the offered smoke from Drew and relaxes some since he knows that he's not the only one with the same thought.  He lights the smoke and inhales deeply, then exhaling as the conversation continues, "Spook or no spook, never get a good feeling when someone like that comes in and offers you stuff and I've heard some pretty bad stories from a lot of different people.  The other guy that got killed was C.I.A. also, Clarence Milk, he's really the only one I've met in person or rather that admitted he was but, he seemed like a decent dude until his ticket got punced.  I'm not saying this guy Warren couldn't be a good dude but, under the circumstances something just doesn't seem right!

As far as making another plan for us in case the shit hits the fan, we're going to need to run and gun for awhile to get back to any place relatively safe.  It would be easier with two people watching each others back.  I don't think it would hurt to have something like that in place Drew.  I'm down with it."

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1847 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 10 May 2010
at 21:18
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
In reply to Steven Drew (msg #485):

Seeing that Drew was whipering in Tucker's ear and not acting out further, Dawid turned and moved over to Jan.

"As you see, we still try and maintain some kind of military discipline. If we were soldiers of fortune, I wouldn't care. But as we're part of what passes for a regular military force when talk moves past the "safety valve" stage and into "bad for morale" territory, something must be said. Arpel may have been a coward but he wasn't likely a traitor, any more than Drew is."

Jan talked about the situation in the USA. "You've been with us enough to see it doesn't seem to be a problem for the Americans here in the past, whether they support the military junta or federal government. I think they try not to let it affect what's already a bad situation. We all supported Sergeant Milk in his mission to acquire some important information although he also was working with the CIA, and it never came up. Personally? We Poles accept support from both factions, we're not picky. The US military supports my force, the Home Army, while the CIA supports Mariusz's group, the civilian Solidarność guerrillas."

He sighed, coming down from his adrenaline rush.

"Anyways, I've always been meaning to ask you, what the hell are YOU doing here? The French aren't even directly involved, and I heard you now occupy all of Belgium and part of Germany."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 837 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 10 May 2010
at 21:26
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Steven Drew:
  Drew no longer giving a damn about being tactical,  shouts,

"HEY, DRUNKEN ASSHOLE! I TOLD YOU ONCE!  I WON'T WARN YOU AGAIN!"

Robert knows he shouldn't have let this arguement go on between Dawid and Drew go on for as long as he did but, it was good to see that someone else enjoyed his feelings about the Polish artilleyman.  He puts out the cigarette and moves over to Drew as he sees him get more irritated with Dawid and steps in between them.  "C'mon bro!  It ain't worth getting into right now.  We're going to need that fire in your eyes shortly so save some of that for the Baron!  Let's get outta here and cool off!"


Steven Drew:
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #483):

Drew forces a chuckle, then says lowly that only Tucker can hear,

"The fucker don't get it."

As he;
<to be posted in the am, tune in tomorrow boys and girls, same bat time, same bat channel!>

Lightly grabbin onto the Marine's sleeve, Tucker leads him out of the area from Dawid so egos or attitudes don't go off by accident.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 838 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 10 May 2010
at 21:37
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
In reply to Steven Drew (msg #485):

Seeing that Drew was whipering in Tucker's ear and not acting out further, Dawid turned and moved over to Jan.

<Blue>"As you see, we still try and maintain some kind of military discipline. If we were soldiers of fortune, I wouldn't care. But as we're part of what passes for a regular military force when talk moves past the "safety valve" stage and into "bad for morale" territory, something must be said. Arpel may have been a coward but he wasn't likely a traitor, any more than Drew is."

Tucker will stop dead in his tracks when he hears the comment Dawid makes about Drew being a coward.  Keeping his composure he turns to Dawid and says, "Dawid you talk a good game.  Talking about bad morale and safety valves but, to make accusations about a person being a coward when he's clearly not, could get a person a whole lot of unneccessary trouble from his superiors and his subordinates.  Those could be taken as fighting words to question a man, or a woman's ability to turn face and run or be called a coward.  SO, for you to sit there and judge a man who's already proved himself in battle to his fellow soldiers, is really something you should work on if you think you can run a squad.  Just the facts!"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 839 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 10 May 2010
at 21:49
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Minh Quyen:
She then leans back on her rucksack/pillow and massages her leg wounds and thinking of being in better places than this.

Jan Cerny:
Jan stood up from where he had been relaxing on his sleeping bag and moved across to talk to Tuck and Quyen as the other two Americans besides Drew and Warren.

"Tuck.  Quyen," he muttered quietly as he crouched down beside them.  "Sorry if I'm about to tell you things that you already know but I may have some news for you."


Quyen listens and replies afterward, "Yeah, I've heard things along those lines. And... while I have my own unflattering views of the CIA, my boss is willing to go along with him for the time being. Doesn't mean I believe anything he says is true though."

Then without warning she leans over and slaps Tucker on the thigh, reversing the seriousness of the moment with a little joking around, "Ain't that right Tuck?" Then nodding at Jan she says, "He saved my life the other day. Hauptmann's going to see about getting em a medal."

When Tucker is done separating Steven & Drew, he will go ove to his other "point team" members and sit and have something warm to drink with them (or eat if it's available).  "Yeah, I've heard a lot of stories too.  Like Minh said, if it's good enough for the Boss to consider, I trust his judgement.  He hasn't led us astray yet and he's got a good head on his shoulders."

Tucker spins and takes a playful defensive stance when Minh hits him on his leg.  "Whoa girl!  Good to see you got some pep back in your step!  I don't know about no medal, maybe an extra day's rations would be appropriate in these times.  Nothing you wouldn't have done for me Minh and you know it!  I ain't no hero," he says with a smile.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1849 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 10 May 2010
at 21:53
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #496):

Dawid was brought up short, thinking Tuck was referring to Arpel and not Drew (having not accused Drew of being a coward).

"I don't know why Arpel ran, but it wasn't because he was an agent of the Baron! I think Arpel may have had just enough. He wasn't a combat soldier, he was a clerk, and the slaughter just made him snap."

"Arpel shot and killed one of the Black Guard, I know because he was beside me. He didn't blow that ambush, and he didn't warn the horsemen when he had the chance. I don't fault him his bravery (or Drew, for that matter) but some men just can't take it after a point."


He moved on to discussing Drew.

"Now, I don't have a problem with Drew letting off some steam, and I'm glad he does it to you. But when he starts loudly making unsubstantiated accusations about others and spreading new rumours about spies for the Baron being in our ranks, then someone needed to step in because it's bad for morale." Dawid looked meaningfully at Tucker, then continued.

"Jesus, I think of the people in this group alone, only you, Konrad, Minh, Mariusz, Jan, Ondar and myself are immune from being considered traitors for the Baron. Everyone else, that's like half, have joined us at or near Gora Kalawria, so wondering about spies in our midst will erode whatever little trust and cooperation we have managed to build among us. Last thing we need is to be hunting Pagans hertics were none are, but half the team might be."

"Saying you don't like the movie is one thing, yelling "FIRE!" is quite another."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:39, Tue 11 May 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 521 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 10 May 2010
at 22:22
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
The way the discussion was going it looked like it was going to turn into another row between Dawid and Tuck.

Jan liked and respected both men and he suspected that if they could all get drunk together, and toured some bars in Marseilles that Jan knew, that they would all get along a lot better together.  Add Drew and probably Craig into the mix and it would be total carnage and one hell of a party!  Alexei would probably drink them under the table if they stuck to spirits but Konrad, Dieter and Warren all seemed too refined to join in a serious drinking binge.  They probably preferred fine wine rather that the kind that came in two litre plastic bottles!  Mariusz probably wouldn't last the pace, unless Polish teenagers were better drinkers than French ones, and Quyen would probably avoid drunken male bonding if she had any sense.

That just left Thor in Jan's imagined drinking session.  Thor would probably cause carnage before the drinking started and set the MPs on them all before they'd made it to a second bar!

Shaking his head in disapointment that taking everyone to Marseilles wasn't going to happen Jan returned to matters at hand.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
Seeing that Drew was whipering in Tucker's ear and not acting out further, Dawid turned and moved over to Jan.

"As you see, we still try and maintain some kind of military discipline. If we were soldiers of fortune, I wouldn't care. But as we're part of what passes for a regular military force when talk moves past the "safety valve" stage and into "bad for morale" territory, something must be said. Arpel may have been a coward but he wasn't likely a traitor, any more than Drew is."

Jan talked about the situation in the USA. "You've been with us enough to see it doesn't seem to be a problem for the Americans here in the past, whether they support the military junta or federal government. I think they try not to let it affect what's already a bad situation. We all supported Sergeant Milk in his mission to acquire some important information although he also was working with the CIA, and it never came up. Personally? We Poles accept support from both factions, we're not picky. The US military supports my force, the Home Army, while the CIA supports Mariusz's group, the civilian Solidarność guerrillas."

He sighed, coming down from his adrenaline rush.

"Anyways, I've always been meaning to ask you, what the hell are YOU doing here? The French aren't even directly involved, and I heard you now occupy all of Belgium and part of Germany."


Jan nodded in agreement while Dawid spoke.  His concern was that Tuck and Quyen, and Drew for that matter, might not have known about the situation in America but it seemed they did so Jan was happy to let the subject drop.  It seemed to matter to Jan that people understood who they were working for and what the consequences of their actions might be.

Seeing the situation between Tuck and Dawid starting to flare up again Jan tried to distract them both.

"WELL," he said deliberately loudly in an effort to interrupt their conversation by answering Dawid's questions, "I have to be honest and say that the people of Belgium and the part of Germany that France has taken control of are probably better off as a result of France's actions.  They now have access to health care and schools and sufficient food and aren't subject to robbery or worse and the hands of groups of deserters.  I'm sure that they would rather be ruled by their own countries but that isn't a realistic desire any more and some of them even greeted us with open arms as their saviours.  Germany is shattered I believe and Belgium was total chaos before the French forces restored order so, as I said, I would argue that the people are now better off."

He paused briefly before returning to Dawid's key question.

"As to why I'm in Poland, now isn't the right time to discuss that," he answered with a small smile.  "I will say Dawid, though, that I think that you'll be one of the people present when the time is right to answer that question."

Jan seemed to think briefly before he continued.

"Mariusz as well and Griet if possible," he added.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1851 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 11 May 2010
at 05:26
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
In reply to Jan Cerny (msg #499):

Dawid looked very dubious at the suggestion that the Belgians were happy under French occupation.

"Sure, maybe the residents were given homes in France, where it's safe."

"Yes, of course, my friend! I'm always eager to help anyone when it will help Poland, and I know you would do the same for France."


Jan had bee