Ch. 15: Warsaw (Part I)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Dieter Brandt
 player, 44 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 13:33
Re: Parley
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #43):

Hearing Bayer's command, Dieter turns to look at him, a slight look of panic breaking through the normal teutonic stoicism. What should he do? The sane person in him said leave the crazy Norwegian to his own fate, but the German in him said he should follow Hauptmann Bayer's command.

He had never wanted to be a soldier, he was only here because he was conscripted when the war started. He didn't want to have other men's fates in his hands, which is why he had refused that commission into the military engineers.

He turned back to where Thor was walking, and did all he could think of. He shouted in English, "Thor, get back!"

Then in broken Polish, he shouted to the other man, "Don't shoot, don't shoot!"

He hoped these commands would work, but wasn't going to break cover and risk getting himself shot, no matter what Bayer might say. Hopefully he would act on his threat and get someone else to take charge of the situation.

Dieter Brandt
In cover, shouting at Thor and the newcomer
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio
Hunting Bow strapped to pack

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1658 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 15:04
Re: Parley
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #43):

Dawid grunted out a short chuckle in reply, not wanting to interrupt Konrad. After listening to his instructions he got up. "Mariusz, you're gunner now. Sutherland, you have command of the MG team." He left the PKM there for Mariusz, but didn't draw his sidearm.

Jogging over to where Thor waited by the man, Dawid was relieved that somehow the man hadn't taken offense enough to shoot him. He was sure this wasn't a real ambush, although if the town wanted to keep someone away like bandits or the Baron's men then a random shot wasn't going to do much more than piss someone off.

He said in Polish, "Please, for the love of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa, don't shoot, my friend. We're just passing through, and we're not with the Baron or anyone else."

Dawid kept his hands on his head, fingers interlaced. "Please, there is no need for violence."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 664 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 15:18
Re: Parley
Mariusz slid in behind the machinegun and covered his comrade as he followed the shamboling bear creature that had joined them.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1692 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 15:49
Re: Parley
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
He said in Polish, "Please, for the love of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa, don't shoot, my friend. We're just passing through, and we're not with the Baron or anyone else."

Dawid kept his hands on his head, fingers interlaced. "Please, there is no need for violence."


With the appearance of a well spoken and seemingly rational countryman, the spokesman seems to relax just a little but he is still clearly on guard. His tone remains rather unfriendly.

"Then pass on through- but stay away from Minsk Mozowiekie. We don't want any trouble but if you don't go on your way right now, you won't live to regret it, understand? We'll be watching. Now fuck off!"

With that, he starts backing away. After several meters, he turns around but frequently looks back over his shoulder as he continues to vacate the field.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:01, Wed 17 Mar 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1660 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 02:33
Re: Parley
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #47):

Dawid didn't know if mentioning they were looking for friends who were against the Black Baron was a good idea or not. If they were neutral, giving away that information may not do them any good and it might get back to the Baron.

Still, it looked like he would have to throw the dice if this opportunity were not to be lost.

"Please excuse me, sir, I am Dawid. We have been fighting the Black Baron's troops, and wish to know if you are having troubles as well. I am with the Home Army and Free Polish government, we're not with the communists in Lublin or some warlord's bullies. Perhaps we can help?"

It was a long shot, but he wanted to keep the dialogue going for as long as he could, get at least a little more information. Even if the man was just worried about bandits and not the Baron's troops, that was something good to know.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:05, Wed 17 Mar 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 38 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 02:50
Re: Parley
Thor looked on, puzzled by the rapid exchange of words he barely understood at the best of times, struggling to make sense of the quickly changing situation.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 83 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 07:18
Re: Parley

Craig continued to switch his view from down the road and back towards the edge of the field. If anyone got killed because of the fool in front Craig would take out that guy first.

Craig acknowledge the order from Dawid with a nod and covered him as he moved forward.


AKS-47U (45/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
RPG-7D Grenade Launcher, PG-7N HEAT Grenade x 4
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
E-108 Thermite Grenade x 2, RKG-3 AT Grenade x2
No.80 WP grenade, L13A2 CS grenade
Fire Support Element
Scanning surrounding area

This message was last edited by the player at 07:19, Wed 17 Mar 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 336 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 10:06
Re: Parley
Jan smiled to himself as Dawid turned on the charm, talking like some kind of relationship councillor and not like a Sergeant!

Jan continued to listen and to scan the trees the spokesman was heading back towards.  Maybe this was just a big bluff and they didn't have much of a militia but it seemed like they were able to stay outside of the control of the Baron.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1152 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 13:20
Re: Parley
Still lying, Bayer looks back at Dieter. He was glad he didn't get up and run after him. "Brandt." he calls quietly, "Good for now. I meant in the future... like next time. Let him go now."

He then looks back at the envoy walking away from Dawid. He was releived that the situation seemed resolved (the most part). Not only that, but he'd hadn't put all of his hopes on the first inhabitants they'd come across as suddenly becomming loyal allies either. Even if they weren't friends of the Baron didn't mean they we're all going to fall in line with us, he thought.

Bayer then rises up on one knee and watches to see if the Dawid's last efforts would yield anything helpful. Failing that, he'd put his ruck back on and ready the patrol to head out.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1696 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 21:35
Re: Parley
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Please excuse me, sir, I am Dawid. We have been fighting the Black Baron's troops, and wish to know if you are having troubles as well. I am with the Home Army and Free Polish government, we're not with the communists in Lublin or some warlord's bullies. Perhaps we can help?"

It was a long shot, but he wanted to keep the dialogue going for as long as he could, get at least a little more information. Even if the man was just worried about bandits and not the Baron's troops, that was something good to know.


"Our troubles are our own business. I doubt the likes of him..." he points at the burly and socially awkward Norwegian "can help us. Just leave us alone and we'll do the same. This is the last time I'm going to tell you- fuck off!"

With that, the man jogs off towards the trees. Straining his neck to see above the tall grass, Dieter spots another armed man (or woman) in a clump of bushes a couple of dozen meters from the trees towards which the spokesman is returning. The figure is looking over the sights of a rifle with a wooden foregrip at Thor and Dawid.

The spokesman enters the stand of trees. A few tense seconds pass during which you wonder if the uneasy truce will hold. When there are no more shots, Konrad orders the column to stand and move out, following the 50 north towards the farm Craig where had found shelter and succor earlier in the summer. With each step, you can't help but anticipate the impact of a bullet in the back but no bullets come and you are soon several hundred meters from the outpost. The low outline of Mink  Mazowieki passes on your right. The townspeople appear not yet to have fallen under the Baron's sway, but they aren't exactly very welcoming to newcomers either.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:18, Thu 18 Mar 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 338 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 23:18
Re: Parley
Jan shook his head slightly to himself as the Polish spokesman from the nearby town withdrew into the woods with his final words of warning.  The big Norwegian had certainly made a bad first impression and Jan couldnít help wondering whether the reaction would have been better if Thor hadnít startled the spokesman by jogging towards him.

On reflection though Thorís actions had probably made no difference to the reception they had received as Jan assumed that the inhabitants of Minsk Mozowiekie were isolationist in their outlook.  That put them in the useful intelligence category and labelled them as a possible community for the Bishop to try to contact in the future.

It also told them that the Baronís forces hadnít been able to force Minsk Mozowiekie to accept the rule of the Black Baron and that was also interesting.  It suggested that the Minsk Mozowiekie community were strong enough and large enough to resist him.

The more immediate problem for their little unit however was that Thor had certainly labelled himself as a potential problem for the future.  Even if he had been acting with the best of intentions his impetuousness could well get them all into trouble in the future.  Maybe Konrad needed to have a chat to the Norwegian to set out his expectations of the sniper and the role he should try to fulfil.  That was a problem for when they camped though.

Before moving off again Jan quickly removed the suppressor from the PM-84, stowed the SMG on the side of his pack and hefted his Steyr in preparation to continue leading the patrol Northwards along the 50.  The bikes were going to be problematic off the road but cross country was certainly Janís preferred option so he kept looking for a passable route away from the road that led them in the right direction.

He also kept a look out for a good spot to lay up for the rest of the day.  They needed to get past Minsk Mozowiekie now but their original plan had been to travel at night in order to avoid contact as much as possible.

Once they were starting to put Minsk Mozowiekie behind them Jan pressed the send button on his radio to transmit a message.  ďAre we still looking to find somewhere to lay up for the rest of the day before continuing tonight?Ē he asked in English.


Jan
F88 Steyr AUG with underslung M203
Leading the patrol northwards along the 50.
- If we can travel away from the road then Jan will lead everyone that way as long as it's in the right direction and away from Minsk Mozowiekie.
- If we decide to lay up for the day then Jan will look for a suitable spot to do so.
- If we continue travelling for a while then Jan will swap point with Tuck and Minh (if sheís happy going on point) after a couple of hours.

Apel Avtomian
 player, 63 posts
 1st. Lieutenant
 U.S. Army
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 06:43
Re: Parley
"What the fuck was that about?" ask Apel.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 39 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 07:27
Re: Parley
Thor stood in stunned silence as the man once again issued his foul mouthed instruction to leave.
Finally he shrugged and turned to retrieve his pack.
"He come round. Loki not always like that."
"He good man. He not like others know."


Back on the march, he lumbered along from cover to cover, watching his assigned area with hawklike intensity, often spotting potential hazards long before anyone else and covering them with his rifle as everyone passed by.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 47 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 08:50
Re: Parley
Cap'n Rae:
With that, the man jogs off towards the trees. Straining his neck to see above the tall grass, Dieter spots another armed man (or woman) in a clump of bushes a couple of dozen meters from the trees towards which the spokesman is returning. The figure is looking over the sights of a rifle with a wooden foregrip at Thor and Dawid.


Dieter smiles gently at spotting the armed man in the bushes. 'Our sniper spotted their sniper,' he thought to himself. He kept this man in is sights until the Polish man rejoined him, and they had moved away. He kept scanning the area for a while, until Bayer ordered them to move out. With that he stood up and gathered up his kit, preparing to move.

As Thor casually picked up his kit and lumbered off, Dieter stared coldly into the back of his head. He could not believe the stupidity of the man. How this man ever made it as a sniper is a mystery. The fact that he is still alive is a miracle.

Dieter resolved to speak to Konrad when they broke for camp. Dieter didn't want to be responsible for this man, especially now he had proved to be a dangerous loose cannon. Thor was likely to do something stupid again, and Dieter didn't want to be near him when it happened.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 84 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 09:37
Re: Parley

Craig watched the exchange between Dawid and the representative, these towns would not be easy to win over. Once the order to move was given Craig concentrated on discouraging any followers and watching their backs.

At one of the longer stops Craig moves forwards to look at the maps the German Captain was consulting. He tries to give a direct route to the farm he has spent several months in, hopefully the family would still be there if they make it.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1662 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 13:34
Re: Parley
In reply to Thor Halgeirsen (msg #56):

Dawid's only parting words were, "go with God, my friend!" He didn't think it would be prudent to mention that their half-assed harassment had been totally useless. After all, if they had been spoiling for a fight then they carried enough firepower to level the town of Minsk Mozowiekie, or close enough.

"Don't worry, Thor, I think they don't like anyone! Just don't do that again, you are too valuable to risk. Besides, I thought a sniper shouldn't be seen?" he asked, rhetorically.

He turned around and followed Thor, wishing he could have a smoke. While there might be a time and place for that, he couldn't have one of his preciously hoarded cigarettes while in the field or on the march.

After re-joining the column, he picked up the GPMG from Mariusz and got the support team organised to move.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 40 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 13:45
Re: Parley
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #59):

Thor looked at Dawid with confusion ib his eyes before pointong towards where the man had disappeared.
"He Loki, no danger. He friend just scared. Many giganten here. Many trolls. Must fight, keep safe."
Minh Quyen
 player, 479 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 15:11
Re: Parley
After setting off again following their little delay, Quyen waves over at Jan until he notices, "Point?" she volunteers. Then nodding over towards Tucker, she says, "Sergeant can take it last when we get closer to the farm."

Whether she takes the lead position or not, Quyen will advance placing as much effort as possible into detecting both possible "enemy" positions and other danger areas (such as any sign of a minefield).
Jan Cerny
 player, 341 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 18:52
Re: Parley
Jan nodded in response to Minh when she offered to take a stint on point and he moved to take over her original position, backing her up in their triangular formation the same way she had backed him up.

He kept his eyes and ears open, scanning his arc on their line of march.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 665 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 19:04
Re: Parley
Mariusz returned the GPMG to Dawid and got ready to head out again. He looked at the hairy horny one once more and said quietly, "Just because he survived this time doesn't mean I give up first dibs on his gun."
Steven Drew
 player, 206 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Fri 19 Mar 2010
at 02:45
Re: Parley

  Drew watched the scene unfold as he scanned the treeline looking for targets prepared to lay down a barrage of covering fire.  It didn't happen this time.

  Drew tried to wrap his mind around all that had gone wrong.  He moves to a knee before standing up and mutters,


"Fuckin cluster....fuck it, we all gotta die sometime."  As he shoulders his pack and then slings his M240.

  Drew stands there a moment watching the woods still just in case the folks changed their minds.  He waits until the patrol starts moving and takes his place in the route of march, continuing to watch the wooded areas.

  As they march he continualy scans the area, watching the countryside for potantial ambush points or any other area that an attack could come from.

Sgt Drew
M240
Watching for danger as he marches

Apel Avtomian
 player, 64 posts
 1st. Lieutenant
 U.S. Army
Fri 19 Mar 2010
at 06:25
Re: Parley
Apel continues to push his bike along.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1666 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 19 Mar 2010
at 13:12
Re: Parley
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #63):

"Snipers in this group seem to die alot. This means you may get your wish, but then you become the sniper! Sure you want the job?"

He slid the sling for the GPMG over his shoulder, made it as comfortable as possible. When everyone was ready, he signalled them to advance.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 666 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 19 Mar 2010
at 16:31
Re: Parley
Mariusz shrugged, "If the gun is big enough, it's worth the risk. So, when are you going to start teaching me to use the really big stuff?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1154 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 19 Mar 2010
at 17:04
Re: Parley
After rucking up again, Bayer says, "Alright... let's go. Loose file, alternating in pairs on each side." He the motions for Quyen to start leading off, while he digs out his compass again to check the next nav point.

"About five thousand, five hundred meters until we stop to get eyes on the farm. Halfway on the road before we try to go cross country... if its possible. You three up there alternate yourselves based on that." he adds.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:08, Fri 19 Mar 2010.