Ch. 15: Warsaw (Part I)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Craig Sutherland
 player, 176 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 23 Jun 2010
at 08:53
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw


Craig moves along with the rest of the team, he tries to keep up as best he can. He continues to do his job working through the pain in his leg while scanning the sides of the road with his AKU at his shoulder.

If he can direct the team from his knowledge of the immediate area he does not hesitate to speak up.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1960 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 23 Jun 2010
at 11:50
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #767):

Shivering in the cold night air, Dawid was relieved at least that there were tracks here that would make it hard for someone to follow them.

He caught up with Konrad as they rounded the blasted church.

"If no one has a better idea of where to go, my old bunker from when we were shelling the NATO forces surrounding the city is to the Northwest. We stashed some uniforms there when we pulled out, I'm sorry I forgot to mention this before. They may come in handy."


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM (100/100) + 1 Spare Belt (85)
3 Frag Grenades
Stechkin + 2 Magazines

Behind the Church, talking to Konrad

This message was last edited by the player at 01:07, Thu 24 June 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 164 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Wed 23 Jun 2010
at 20:53
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Dieter holds his fire, waiting for an instruction from Ondar or Warren.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 873 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 23 Jun 2010
at 21:00
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Tucker sets up and lets everyone pass him and then waits until the last person passes him before he moves to follow.

Tucker
M-16A2 [30/30] / M-203 [HE]
H&K SOCOM Pistol [9/12] (Holstered)

Salvaged Gear:
Claymore Mine & Pouch    2.0
Mag Bandoleer [6 MAG 30] 3.0
5 L. Canteen             5.0
Pack (if allowed)

Covering & waiting for the last man to pass him

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1232 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 24 Jun 2010
at 00:46
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Reaching the church, Bayer halts the group that's with him. "Move into all around defense." he whispers while he digs out his radio handset.

Then just as quietly, he speaks into the radio, "Thunder. Sunray. Are you moving yet? We're holding position near the church. Over?" With the handset still cradled up against his ear, he nods to Dawid while he waits for a reply over the net.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 159 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Thu 24 Jun 2010
at 02:50
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Not moving Jįrngreipr from the furthest man, Thor spared a quick glance at his immediate surroundings and began to mentally plan an exit path which wouldn't expose either himself, or the three men nearby to sight.

"Fordųmmer!" he spat quietly.
The word itself may not have been understood by anyone, but the tone of a man pissed off certainly was.

"We cut off. How that happen?"
Somehow they'd taken up position on the roadway using burnt out and stripped car bodies for cover. Usually that wouldn't have been so bad, but then everyone else had headed to the park on the north side of the road, splitting the unit in two.

"Bragi, Óšr," He indicated Dieter and Ondar with his left hand while peering through his scope.

"Go that way femti pace."
His left hand swung around to poke towards the buildings to the south west.

"Huldrekall and Thor follow, you cover."
Once they'd moved back they could begin searching for a way to cross the exposed roadway without having to resort to the very obvious use of smoke to conceal them.

Thor "The Thunderer"
Attempting to retain sight picture on furthest target while directing local movements
Barret M82A1 ("Mjollnir") (10/10) + 4x10 + 1x7
PM-63 (25/25) + 1x25
H & K USP-9SD, 9mm (15/15) + 3x15
M-26A1 hand grenade, x6
M-18 Smoke grenade, green, x2
M72A4
Bayonet/knife
Entrenching Tool
Individual Tactical Radio
30rd mag, 5.45mm, full, x8

This message was last edited by the player at 23:48, Thu 24 June 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 749 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 24 Jun 2010
at 16:01
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Mariusz took up a defensive position and crouched, his teeth chattering and his bones like ice. He needed to get warm soon or it wouldn't matter where they ran because he'd be an icicle.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 165 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Thu 24 Jun 2010
at 17:14
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Thor Halgeirsen:
"Bragi, Óšr," He indicated Dieter and Ondar with his left hand while peering through his scope.

"Go that way femti pace."
His left hand swung around to poke towards the buildings to the south west.


For once Thor actually seemed to make sense, they were badly positioned. Dieter looked in the direction indicated by Thor, then turned back and nodded. Looking over at Ondar, he indicated that it was time to move. He quickly gathered himself up and move as quickly as he could in a low crouch, heading towards the buidlings indicated by Thor, as he moved he keyed his radio. Hopefuly Ondar will follow close behind him.

"Hailstorm-1, this is Thunder-2. Position compromised, Thunder and Tornado moving South West to better cover. Will be able to provide good arc of fire shortly. Will give new sit rep as soon as possible. Over."

Once he had reached the buildings he scanned quickly for a good firing position. If there is anywhere obvious on an upper floor he will take it. If not he will stick to the ground floor. Ideally, when Thor & Warren follow, he will direct them to other good positions so that all four snipers have a good arc of fire from where the can do some serious damage, without being bunched up.

Dieter Brandt
Moving to buildings in SW, while radioing Konrad
PSG-1 - 19/20 rounds
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers

Alexei Ondar
 player, 159 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Fri 25 Jun 2010
at 01:32
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
"Sunray, Thunder is fall back to south and west for improve vantage."  Ondar keys the handset on his radio and acknowledges Bayer's inquiry.  "We advise when is clear."

The Soviet defector rises to a crouch and scrambles to a position in the rubble surrounding the structures to the southwest corner of the intersection.

He was not concerned so much about splitting the team across the roadway as he was with maintaining sight of their pursuers.  It was a dark and cloudy night with little moonlight and they were all experienced professionals wearing at least makeshift overwhites and sporting long range rifles with enhanced optics, so he silently bargained that the deck was stacked in their favor as he covered Brandt's movement and followed suit.



[Ondar]
Moving to southwest structure.
SVU-AS (10/10) + 6x10rd mags 7.62mmL
2x Soviet frag grenades
1x RPG-18
Maintaining overwatch.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 160 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Fri 25 Jun 2010
at 02:24
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Once Ondar and Dieter had moved back into cover and signaled their readiness, Thor motioned Warren to go. He was just a few seconds behind, heading for cover on the ground level, expecting their next action to be another bound to the south west and not the announcement of their position by entering into combat.

Thor "The Thunderer"
Moving back with Warren to cover on the street near the target building
Prepared to move again within moments to the next position further along the street.
Barret M82A1 ("Mjollnir") (10/10) + 4x10 + 1x7
PM-63 (25/25) + 1x25
H & K USP-9SD, 9mm (15/15) + 3x15
M-26A1 hand grenade, x6
M-18 Smoke grenade, green, x2
M72A4
Bayonet/knife
Entrenching Tool
Individual Tactical Radio
30rd mag, 5.45mm, full, x8

Minh Quyen
 player, 506 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 25 Jun 2010
at 03:12
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Konrad Bayer:
"Move into all around defense."


Arriving safely at the church, Quyen goes down on one knee and surveys the southern flank. Then hearing Bayer's instructions, she moves out a few meters and sets herself up in a position of cover that can cover the south.

While she waits, anticipating they'll all be moving out just as soon enough, she pats over her webbing to check if she'd lost any more gear.

Once done, she'll keep her weapon up at the ready and scan her arcs.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 89 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Fri 25 Jun 2010
at 05:03
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Jeff nods silently at the orders from the rest of the snipers. Although he had been a former SF Captain, he was quite satisfied in listening to the advice of the men around him, as it coincided with his own thoughts.

He continued to cover the approaching hostiles as best he could, alternating between his NOD's for observation, and his scope for aiming when he could. After the first two snipers had left, Jeff waited until it was he and Thor's turn to move, and then took off to the indicated position as soon as Thor said.  Once there, he dropped to a knee behind cover, ready to engage the hostiles, while also waiting on the next bound.


Jeff Warren
Covering, Moving, Covering (2-3 single shots at target of opportunity if fired upon)
AK-103 w/POSP 4x24 [23/30] + 8 mags
3 RGO frags
3 RDG smokes
Holstered Sig P220

This message was last edited by the player at 05:08, Fri 25 June 2010.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1872 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 25 Jun 2010
at 16:42
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw

The sniper detachment rises in shifts and moves towards the sturdy-looking building situated on the southwest corner of the intersection. You guess (correctly, it turns out) that it is likely a post office. Like nearly all of the buildings you've seen so far in Warsaw, this one's windows are blown out, making entering the structure a relatively simple affair.

As Dieter is about to climb through a window into the deeper darkness beyond, Ondar stops him and points to the south. Advancing steadily up the road towards the intersection is a group of about armed men arrayed a skirmish line. They spot the sniper detachment a second later and scatter among the buildings lining the road. Once again, one of them fires two shots, presumably as some sort of signal.

From the post office, the snipers have a better view of the five men from the first group on the north side of the main road. The men on the south side of the road, however, are almost impossible to see from this angle. The sniper group is now in a precarious position. From in and around the post office, they can probably hold off at least part of the force approaching from the east (Force 1 on the map). On the other hand, if they set up inside the post office, it will be very difficult to see and engage the second force (Force 2 on the map)) approaching from the south. Both enemy forces are at the outside limit of effective small arms range (although Group 2 is a little closer). The opportunity to engage the enemy at the margin of their weapons' effective range is quickly slipping away. The snipers also realize that they currently have a pretty good chance to cross the intersection at speed and rejoin the rest of the group without sustaining casualties. This opportunity likely won't be around much longer. If and when either (or both) of the enemy groups press forward, the odds of doing so successfully diminishes significantly.

The group at the church can do little more than watch, wait, and catch its collective breath. From its current position, neither of the enemy groups to the east are visible, nor are the enemy groups approaching from the south. (If you shift a bit to the east, you will be able to see part of the way down the road to the south).

You notice the low growl of vehicle engines. The sound steadily grows in volume as the vehicle/s crawl closer. It is likely that the enemy forces will soon be joined by reinforcements. Every minute counts.


Next Moves?

Updated Tac-Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...92,0.016469&z=17

-R.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:44, Fri 25 June 2010.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1233 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 25 Jun 2010
at 17:22
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Hearing additional shots coming from the other direction, Bayer once again speaks into his radio handset. This time around he's less calm, a speaks quickly, "Thunder. Sunray. Where are you? Start moving that team Ondar. Run! Over."

Agitated, Bayer looks through the darkness towards Dawid while he waits for a response over the net. "How far is the bunker from here?" he asks quietly. "We're not waiting any longer." Although the last statement implied leaving the snipers, it wasn't likely that Bayer meant what he said.

Satisfied the group was in a decent all around defense, he positions himself where he could observe to the south and the road. He then checks and ensures there is an HE round in the launcher.
Alexei Ondar
 player, 160 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Fri 25 Jun 2010
at 22:27
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Ondar looks to the east and to the south and assesses the relative ranges to and composition of the approaching enemy forces.  Seeing no immediate need to make a stand here in the burned-out post office, he orders a tactical retreat.

"Okay, we got time now.  Move out." the Tuvan sharpshooter orders.  "Go west, end of block and cross.  Then one block north.  Hold there.  I cover.  Go!"

As the sniper element begins to withdraw to the northwest across Aleja Solidarnosc, Ondar contiues to survey their pursuers' approach and relays his plan to Bayer.

"Copy Sunray. Thunder fall back." he calls in stilted and broken English. "Ron-day-voo one block west your position."



[Ondar]
Outside post office
SVU-AS (10/10) + 6x10rd mags 7.62mmL
2x Soviet frag grenades
1x RPG-18
Covering sniper team's retreat.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:27, Sat 26 June 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 597 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 25 Jun 2010
at 22:55
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Jan silently cursed how their luck was going.  He had tried to direct the snipers to the north of the sewer exit but for some reason they had headed into the ruins to the south and now they were in severe danger of getting separated.  He had tried to put everyone on the same side of the road when he had been directing people as they exited the sewers but he had failed to get everyone to stick close enough together.

Konrad Bayer:
Hearing additional shots coming from the other direction, Bayer once again speaks into his radio handset. This time around he's less calm, a speaks quickly, "Thunder. Sunray. Where are you? Start moving that team Ondar. Run! Over."

Agitated, Bayer looks through the darkness towards Dawid while he waits for a response over the net. "How far is the bunker from here?" he asks quietly. "We're not waiting any longer." Although the last statement implied leaving the snipers, it wasn't likely that Bayer meant what he said.

Satisfied the group was in a decent all around defense, he positions himself where he could observe to the south and the road. He then checks and ensures there is an HE round in the launcher.


Jan risked a glance at Konrad.  "Are we going now or waiting for the snipers?" he hissed, unsure what the Captain wanted them to do.  As he spoke he pushed himself up into a crouch behind a fallen piece of masonry, ready to move off the moment Konrad gave the order.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 875 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 25 Jun 2010
at 23:10
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Cap'n Rae:
The group at the church can do little more than watch, wait, and catch its collective breath. From its current position, neither of the enemy groups to the east are visible, nor are the enemy groups approaching from the south. (If you shift a bit to the east, you will be able to see part of the way down the road to the south).

You notice the low growl of vehicle engines. The sound steadily grows in volume as the vehicle/s crawl closer. It is likely that the enemy forces will soon be joined by reinforcements. Every minute counts.

Next Moves?

Tucker takes advantage of what cover he can find when his group stops and gets a short rest and moves a bit to the east so he can possibly get some eyes on the group that is now moving up on them from the south.  When he finds some cover and a good vantage point to look, he replaces the 40mm HE round inside his grenade launcher and replaces it with a HEDP round, the HE round going back into one of the empty pouches on his grenadier's vest.  He continues to keep watch until they're ready to move again.

Tucker
M-16A2 [30/30] / M-203 [HEDP]
H&K SOCOM Pistol [9/12] (Holstered)

Salvaged Gear:
Claymore Mine & Pouch    2.0
Mag Bandoleer [6 MAG 30] 3.0
5 L. Canteen             5.0
Pack (if allowed)

Covering & waiting for the last man to pass him as he now keeps watch to the south as new threats (man & vehicles) are approaching them

This message was last edited by the player at 19:54, Sun 27 June 2010.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1234 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 26 Jun 2010
at 06:56
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Jan Cerny:
Jan risked a glance at Konrad.  "Are we going now or waiting for the snipers?" he hissed, unsure what the Captain wanted them to do.


Bayer lowers the handset from his ear and answers quietly, "We wait. But not here. One block west. We RV with the snipers there. They're puling back now. Jan and Quyen take front security."

He then raises the handset and acknowledges Ondar, "Sunray, roger. Out."

Bayer pulls back away from the wall and gives everyone a quick once over, especially Sutherland who was wounded, before pointing to the west and nodding, "Ok. Let's go."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 750 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 26 Jun 2010
at 07:32
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Mariusz gripped his rifle tightly and started moving with the others. He tried to remain alert but the cold, fatigue and nerves were making him jittery.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1961 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 26 Jun 2010
at 07:41
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #786):

Dawid pulled out his compass and map.

He started to take a bearing, but noticed they were moving out.

"Sorry, Kapitan! Give me a few minutes when we stop to get my bearings."

The truth was, it was hard to know where they were, and much had changed in the years after the strikes.


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM (100/100) + 1 Spare Belt (85)
3 Frag Grenades
Stechkin + 2 Magazines

Heading west.

Jan Cerny
 player, 600 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 26 Jun 2010
at 07:47
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Jan nodded firstly at Konrad and then at Quyen before setting off in a westerly direction, looking for a good defensive position one block further west.  He tried to move stealthily, setting as good a pace as was possible while attempting to keep quiet at the same time.  He took point, knowing that he could rely on Quyen to back him up, holding his rifle ready in his shoulder in case they encounterd any further enemy patrols.  He had disregarded switching back to his silenced SMG as the enemy patrols were of a size that meant taking out an entire one silently was simply impossible.

The key now was to break contact with the enemy so that they could try and find the bunker Dawid had mentioned.  From what Woj had said so far the Baron seemed to control the whole of Warsaw and that meant finding someone friendly was going to be problematic.  Even if they did manage to find someone friendly the likelihood was that those people would be too scared and too short of food to shelter Jan and his comrades at all.


Jan
Taking point with Quyen and leading the move one block to the west.
F88 Steyr AUG (30/30 rounds - 7 mags total) - held
 - Underslung M203 (1/1 HE - 9x HE, 4x HEDP & 2x ILLUM total)
PM-84 submachine gun w/suppressor (20/25 rounds) - slung on shoulder
Smoke Grenade x1
Frag Grenade x2
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15 rounds - 4 mags total)
RPG-22 x1

Dieter Brandt
 player, 166 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Sat 26 Jun 2010
at 15:55
Re: The Ruins of Warsaw
Alexei Ondar:
Ondar looks to the east and to the south and assesses the relative ranges to and composition of the approaching enemy forces.  Seeing no immediate need to make a stand here in the burned-out post office, he orders a tactical retreat.

"Okay, we got time now.  Move out." the Tuvan sharpshooter orders.  "Go west, end of block and cross.  Then one block north.  Hold there.  I cover.  Go!"


Dieter cursed under his breath. The move to the southwest has been a bad one, and they were in danger of getting cut off. Hearing Ondar's barked order, he moved quickly to the west, not waiting for the others to move. Once across the road he paused in cover, waving Thor and Warren past him. He then gestured for Ondar to follow. Once Ondar had caught up he would then continue moving west, heading for what appeared to be the remnants of an old park.

While waiting he will re-assess the threat from the east and the south.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 163 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Sun 27 Jun 2010
at 12:24
Sniper withdrawal
Knowing full well that being caught out in the open was the beginning of their troubles, and the move south west was their only option at the time, Thor motioned Warren onward down the street towards the river. While it was possible they'd been spotted, it was more probable somebody had slipped up and been observed by the enemy, triggering their warning shots and deployment.

The probability of detection was almost a certainty now that the southern group had reacted in an almost identical manner as the eastern group. That near certainty was enough for Thor to act...

Hefting the considerable weight of Mjollnir, Thor braced himself against the north wall of the post office, placed his eye to Megingjord and quickly acquired a target. Spending a few more moments steadying his aim, he gently brushed the delicate trigger and sent a 115 grams of jacketed lead speeding on it's way at over 850 metres per second.

Such a rushed shot from a less than ideal position was unlikely to strike his intended target, but killing wasn't his intention. Making the enemy think twice about rushing forward to an effective range for their weapons was.

Shot away, and once again in the rear of the withdrawing force, he heading south westward as quick as he could, hugging the wall and hoping his shot had the desired delaying effect.

Thor "The Thunderer"
Taking up a firing position against the northern wall of the PO using car bodies or general street litter to cover him from return fire
Acquiring, aiming (one action) then firing at furthest target on north side of the road
Withdrawing rapidly taking advantage of all available cover
Barret M82A1 ("Mjollnir") (9/10) + 4x10 + 1x7
PM-63 (25/25) + 1x25
H & K USP-9SD, 9mm (15/15) + 3x15
M-26A1 hand grenade, x6
M-18 Smoke grenade, green, x2
M72A4
Bayonet/knife
Entrenching Tool
Individual Tactical Radio
30rd mag, 5.45mm, full, x8

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1873 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 27 Jun 2010
at 22:08
Link-up

As their new position is almost immediately rendered untenable by the second enemy manouver group coming up from the south, the sniper group displaces almost as soon as they settle into their new positions in and around the post office. they hurriedly pack up shop and head west, moving from cover to cover (that being a few rusted out vehicle hulls and small rubble piles). As Dieter, Ondar, and Warren quickly move off, Thor stays behind briefly to delay the enemy group approaching from the east. He lines up a man preparing to bound along the crumbling wall of an apartment block and pulls the trigger just a split second before the man leaps forward. The Barrett releases a mighty roar and the supersonic .50 calibre bullet literally knocks its querry backwards head-over-heals, slamming him against the wall and leaving behind a large smear of crimson on the dirty white backdrop. The man- most assuredly dead- lies crumpled in a steaming heap and his comrades immediately take cover. After a few seconds' pause, some desultory firing starts up, coming both from the eastern group and from the smaller group to the south. Bullets thwack agains the brick facade of the post office. The delay, however brief, allows Thor to heft the heavy sniper rifle and jog after his friends without getting hit by the subsequent incoming fire.

Both groups link up just west of the church, about half-a-block north of the main road, and just adjacent to a large park. The mostly open area is dotted with a few lucky trees scattered among far more numerous stumps. There is little deadfall, most of it probably having been gathered and burned as fuel long ago. Even in the low light, you can see numerous bowl-like depressions in the park's mostly level surface, indicating old craters. Almost three years ago, Dawid, Woj, and their battery mates were dug in here with their 122mm guns during the siege of Warsaw. There are a few tracks in the snow in the park, but not enough to put off trackers.


Next Moves?

Updated Tac-Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...92,0.016469&z=17

Note: Enemy postions are last known.

-R.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:10, Sun 27 June 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 601 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 27 Jun 2010
at 22:42
Re: Link-up
While they were waiting for the sniper team to arrive Jan took the opportunity to try to work out where they were headed next.

"Dawid," Jan hissed to his comrade.  "What direction for this bunker you know of?"

Assuming that Dawid was able to work it out from their imprecise current location Jan intended to return to his point duties and lead everyone in that direction the moment the snipers arrived.


Jan
Hopefully setting out in the direction of Dawid's bunker the moment the sniper team arrive.
F88 Steyr AUG (30/30 rounds - 7 mags total) - held
 - Underslung M203 (1/1 HE - 9x HE, 4x HEDP & 2x ILLUM total)
PM-84 submachine gun w/suppressor (20/25 rounds) - slung on shoulder
Smoke Grenade x1
Frag Grenade x2
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15 rounds - 4 mags total)
RPG-22 x1