Ch. 15: Warsaw (Part I)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1964 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 28 Jun 2010
at 11:28
Re: Link-up
In reply to Jan Cerny (msg #793):

It was good they were getting out of the area, but their luck was thin indeed. The Barons' troops seemed to have been thrown off for a second.

"Over there." He pointed. "Maybe send me and someone else to look so as to not leave too many tracks."


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM (100/100) + 1 Spare Belt (85)
3 Frag Grenades
Stechkin + 2 Magazines

Waiting for further instructions.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 166 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Mon 28 Jun 2010
at 12:36
Re: Link-up
"Maybe go attack," Thor mumbled as he stripped a round from a half empty magazine and topped up the one loaded in Mjollnir.
Take fight to them."
It wasn't much of a plan, but all this running away was getting tiresome.
Loading complete, he fished out the AK magazines he'd salvaged from his pack and handed three to Minh, three to Mariusz and the remaining two to Sutherland.
"You use. No good Thor have."

Thor "The Thunderer"
Reloading
Handing out 5.45mm mags to those who can use them
Barret M82A1 ("Mjollnir") (10/10) + 4x10 + 1x6
PM-63 (25/25) + 1x25
H & K USP-9SD, 9mm (15/15) + 3x15
M-26A1 hand grenade, x6
M-18 Smoke grenade, green, x2
M72A4
Bayonet/knife
Entrenching Tool
Individual Tactical Radio
30rd mag, 5.45mm, full, x8

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 751 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 28 Jun 2010
at 19:14
Re: Link-up
Mariusz looked at Dawid and said, "Use the tracks already in the snow to get you close, step in the marks, then when you're close go in single file and step in the footsteps, like Good King Wenceslas'."

"Kaptain," he turned to Bayer, "maybe some people should gather snow in shelter halves, they could fill in the footsteps if the bunker is safe. That's if you want to use the bunker, I'd  say it's better to keep running and use snipers to slow the pursuit. If you do decide to stay here, as one sniper to volunteer and I'll guide them away from here, we can draw the pursuers away and head for my suburb, once we get there no one will find me."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 91 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Mon 28 Jun 2010
at 21:44
Re: Link-up

Warren [NPCed], at a knee and covering the southeast approaches as the teams reunite, opines, "We need to keep moving. If we hunker down in the park, we're just asking to get encircled and wiped out and I don't much fancy making a last stand quite yet. I say we head for the occupied apartments just to the north here. I need to get up on a roof or something high to contact the 10th. If we can get them to move on the city, we can take some of this heat off ourselves. Lord knows we've got the inner defenses occupied."
Jan Cerny
 player, 603 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 28 Jun 2010
at 21:59
Re: Link-up
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Over there." He pointed. "Maybe send me and someone else to look so as to not leave too many tracks."


"Capitaine," Jan hissed to Konrad as Dawid indicated where his old bunker had been.  "I'll go with Dawid to check it out while Quyen leads the rest of you cautiously into the park.  Warren's right.  We need to keep moving!"

Assuming Konrad agrees Jan will then join Dawid in checking out his old bunker position.


Jan
Agreeing with Konrad that he should join Dawid in finding and checking out the old bunker.
F88 Steyr AUG (30/30 rounds - 7 mags total) - held
 - Underslung M203 (1/1 HE - 9x HE, 4x HEDP & 2x ILLUM total)
PM-84 submachine gun w/suppressor (20/25 rounds) - slung on shoulder
Smoke Grenade x1
Frag Grenade x2
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15 rounds - 4 mags total)
RPG-22 x1

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 876 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 28 Jun 2010
at 23:12
Re: Link-up
With everyone back together again, Tucker sets up the rear security spot as everyone moves out.

Tucker
M-16A2 [30/30] / M-203 [HEDP]
H&K SOCOM Pistol [9/12] (Holstered)

Salvaged Gear:
Claymore Mine & Pouch    2.0
Mag Bandoleer [6 MAG 30] 3.0
5 L. Canteen             5.0
Pack (if allowed)

Craig Sutherland
 player, 177 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 28 Jun 2010
at 23:42
Re: Link-up


Craig moves off with the others all the while trying to provide cover fire if it's need to the left.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 169 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Tue 29 Jun 2010
at 06:11
Re: Link-up
Catching up with the main group, Dieter paused for breath. He looked over at Thor, and simply stated, "Good shot, my friend."

Hearing the discussion, he chipped in, "I agree, we do not want to wait here and get surrounded. We need to keep moving and get out of here."

Looking over at Mariusz, he continued. "Mariusz's suggestion of running a decoy is a good one. I would be happy to go with him and lead the enemy away from the main group. We can both move pretty quickly, and I have a radio. We can lead them away and then lose them in the occupied part of the city, and then meet up again later."

Looking over to Konrad, he said, "Herr Hauptmann, what do you think?"

This message was last edited by the player at 06:14, Tue 29 June 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1968 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 29 Jun 2010
at 07:16
Re: Link-up
In reply to Jan Cerny (msg #799):

"I'm going to hide the M240 at the bunker, if it's cleared out or not."

"I'm also glad the snipers finally decided to open fire! I was starting to wonder about those boys...."


He hefted the M240 and let the PKM hang from its sling. It pained him, but it would be best to cache the disabled MG until later.

Digging his two flares out, he handed them off to Konrad. Flares were common signals equipment for Soviet and WP troops. As long as the signal was pre-arranged, they couldn't be jammed, misinterpreted or run out of power. The one problem was they were somewhat inflexible and could be seen by everyone.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:19, Tue 29 June 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 604 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 29 Jun 2010
at 08:44
Re: Link-up
Jan registered Dieter paying Thor a complement.  From Dieter's previous concerns about Thor it was good to know that the Norwegian had now impressed his fellow sniper, with an impressive shot by the sounds off it!

"Dieter, Mariusz," he added to the brief discussion that was going on.  "If you're trying to draw them away then use their signals against them.  A pair of single shots appears to be a signal meaning come here."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1235 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 29 Jun 2010
at 10:51
Re: Link-up
Bayer glances down at the folded map that is visible through the clear plastic sleeve attached to his rifle stock. The bunker turned out to be just a little too close for what he was hoping for, and although he supportive of the idea at first, decided against it in the end.

"Ok Dieter. You and Mariusz. Stay in radio contact." he says.

Then with a quick motioning towards the front security team, he adds, "Jan. Quyen. North northwest. Remainder fall in. Let's go."
Jan Cerny
 player, 605 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 29 Jun 2010
at 11:42
Re: Link-up
"Yes Capitaine," Jan nodded in reply before taking point again, leading everyone North Northwest with Quyen backing him up.

"Let's try to find more tracks to loose our trail amongst," he commented quietly to Quyen after a few paces.


Jan
Taking point with Quyen, heading NNW and trying to use exiting trails to mask their tracks.
F88 Steyr AUG (30/30 rounds - 7 mags total) - held
 - Underslung M203 (1/1 HE - 9x HE, 4x HEDP & 2x ILLUM total)
PM-84 submachine gun w/suppressor (20/25 rounds) - slung on shoulder
Smoke Grenade x1
Frag Grenade x2
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15 rounds - 4 mags total)
RPG-22 x1

This message was last edited by the player at 11:43, Tue 29 June 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 752 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 29 Jun 2010
at 16:45
Re: Link-up
Mariusz stowed the spare magazines inside his body armour and then hefted the PKM, he looked at Dieter and said, "If the party is going Northwest, which way do you want to go? I'd suggest we wait near here to get their attention and then head Northeast, that takes us into the independent occupied section and toward the outskirts. What do you think?"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 877 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 29 Jun 2010
at 22:40
Re: Link-up
Robert watches as Jan & Dawid get ready to move out as the distraction.  "Good luck guys," he calls after them as the main body moves out.  Tucker continues to be the last man to follow.

Tucker
M-16A2 [30/30] / M-203 [HEDP]
H&K SOCOM Pistol [9/12] (Holstered)

Salvaged Gear:
Claymore Mine & Pouch    2.0
Mag Bandoleer [6 MAG 30] 3.0
5 L. Canteen             5.0
Pack (if allowed)

Tail-end Charlie

This message was last edited by the player at 02:32, Sat 03 July 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 170 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Wed 30 Jun 2010
at 06:12
Re: Link-up
Mariusz Tokarski:
Mariusz stowed the spare magazines inside his body armour and then hefted the PKM, he looked at Dieter and said, "If the party is going Northwest, which way do you want to go? I'd suggest we wait near here to get their attention and then head Northeast, that takes us into the independent occupied section and toward the outskirts. What do you think?"


Dieter looked at Mariusz and grinned, probably the first time anyone had seen the grumpy German smile since joining the group. "Northeast sounds good, let's get ready to go."

Looking back at the others, he continued, "Good luck everyone, we will try to lead them off to the Northeast so you can get away. We will meet up later, as agreed."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1971 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 30 Jun 2010
at 06:32
Re: Link-up
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #805):

Dawid pointed out, "Kapitan, forgive me for saying but we stashed in there a number of new-pattern Polish uniforms, several dozen if I remember correctly.

"Those uniforms could be handy for our purposes, either as deception, of warmth. Can I at least check my old position out?"

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 168 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Wed 30 Jun 2010
at 06:50
Re: Link-up
"Thor go with Dawid if Haptabeišir watch Huldrekall."
The side trip could be useful and Thor had a radio of his own to keep in touch. A few more tracks might prove beneficial also in delaying or misleading pursuit.

Thor "The Thunderer"
Watching the right flank
Volunteering to accompany Dawid
Barret M82A1 ("Mjollnir") (10/10) + 4x10 + 1x6
PM-63 (25/25) + 1x25
H & K USP-9SD, 9mm (15/15) + 3x15
M-26A1 hand grenade, x6
M-18 Smoke grenade, green, x2
M72A4
Bayonet/knife
Entrenching Tool
Individual Tactical Radio
30rd mag, 5.45mm, full, x8

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 753 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 30 Jun 2010
at 09:30
Re: Link-up
"OK," Mariusz said, "let's go, once we find a nice spot a couple of hundred meters away I'll hunker down with the machinegun and you find a good sniping position. I'll fire some bursts at the enemy to slow them down and then head a further couple of hundred meters. You hit them as they advance and then overleap my position. We'll keep doing that til they're firmly on our tail and then run hell for leather to try to break contact. How does that sound?"
Dieter Brandt
 player, 171 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Wed 30 Jun 2010
at 18:41
Re: Link-up
Mariusz Tokarski:
"OK," Mariusz said, "let's go, once we find a nice spot a couple of hundred meters away I'll hunker down with the machinegun and you find a good sniping position. I'll fire some bursts at the enemy to slow them down and then head a further couple of hundred meters. You hit them as they advance and then overleap my position. We'll keep doing that til they're firmly on our tail and then run hell for leather to try to break contact. How does that sound?"


"Sounds good to me. Let's go."

With that they headed off towards the Northeast as planned. They moved quickly and quietly, looking for a good position from which to launch their decoy mission. As they moved, Dieter spoke quickly, "Once you are in position I will move on for about 100 metres. When we see the enemy I will hide and fire 2 shots in the air, like they did, as a signal. Hopefully this will draw them towards me. You can then quickly attack. Remember, one or two quick bursts and then move when they go for cover. No playing hero. Once you have moved I will wait for them to follow, then try to pick someone off, ideally the commander."

Dieter Brandt
Moving to NE with Mariusz, planning to run a diversion
PSG-1 - 19/20 rounds
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 755 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 30 Jun 2010
at 20:59
Re: Link-up
"That sounds perfect," Mariusz agreed, "I'm the last of my line and I intend to breed, breed lots with many different women."

He handed the Machinegun and ammo over to Dawid and checked the Pole's Tantal to make sure it was ready for use.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1876 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 30 Jun 2010
at 23:07
Splitting Up

Dawid and Thor

Dawid jogs towards through the park with Thor in tow, not bothering to attempt walk in the sparse tracks laid earlier- it would slow them down too much and might not work anyway. Besides, if their fresh tracks draw off any of the pursuing enemy, it may help throw them off the trail of the main group.

They arrive at the old battery position. The gun pits are empty save for one D-30 smashed by counterbattery fire and stripped of anything even remotely useful. The ammunition bunker is right where he remembered it to be- a broad, low mound where the snow covers the thick log and earth roof. With Thor settling into a firing position just outside the sunken entrance. Dawid removes his torch and enters the pitch dark interior of the bunker. The floor is uneven, its frozen mud creating mold-like shapes where it hardened around the imprints of booted feet, absent garbage, and debris. It's still covered with rubbish- a few smashed tin cans, the ash of a campfire, bits of paper, shreds of cloth, a syringe, a condom- all of it partially encased in concrete-hard mud. For the past two years the bunker has variously been a campsite, a playground, an abattoir, and a one-room brothel. The uniform stash is long gone. There is nothing of use here any more. Dawid shoves the inoperable M240 to the back of a high shelf cut into the earth just under the log roof.

From the bunker, Thor and Dawid's view of the intersection where the sniper's had originally set up after exiting the storm sewer tunnel is blocked off by a shell-smashed building (part of the church complex), as well as the numerous tree stumps that dot the park between the bunker and the road.

Dieter and Mariusz

The red herring team breaks off from the main group and angles to the northeast. They scramble down a side road, moving from cover to cover and keeping to the shadows beneath the boxy apartment blocks so characteristic of European communist architecture. A few brave (or foolish) souls peek out from darkened windows, straining to catch a glimpse of what all the shooting is about. Mariusz and Dieter can only hope no one attempts to signal the Baron's troops.

They find a decent spot to set up their two-man ambush. A large, ruined residence just south of a derelict school building. Mariusz sets up shop behind a mound of bricks on what used to be the porch of the house- probably the headmaster's residence- while Dieter enters the school building and starts making his way through the dingy, debris strewn hallways to the upper floor. In five minute's time, both men are set up looking down the road towards the intersection from beneath which they had emerged half-an-hour before. Despite being further back from the intersection, Dieter, through his sniper rifle's scope, has a better view. He sees armed men emerge in the area and begin to mull around purposefully, looking for signs of their quarry. Others set up in a loose perimeter to provide the searcheres with security. The group grows in size as they are joined by comrades. The sound of growling engines and squeeling tracks grows. A bright white light washes over the area, projected from further up the main road (i.e. from the east).

Main Group

With Minh and Jan on point and Tucker and Warren in trail, Konrad leads the main group up the road (the map calls it Jagiellonska- a rare Soviet-tolerated nod to a 16th century Polish nationalist) to the northwest. There are quite a few tracks here. The group can move quickly through them, hopefully concealing their numbers and perhaps avoiding detection by the Baron's trackers altogether. After a few minutes, Konrad recognizes the need to move to a more concealed route in order to keep out of sight of the enemy that are almost certainly arriving at the manhole cover not too far behind. To the right (east) of the road are more apartments. To the left (west) are the remains of the zoo.


Next Moves?

Updated Tac-Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...84,0.032938&z=16

-R.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:54, Thu 01 July 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1977 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 30 Jun 2010
at 23:46
Re: Splitting Up
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #815):

Via radio Dawid reported there was nothing to find, being careful to keep the names of their locations out of it. The bunker could provide some cover, but that would mean making a stand. He asked where he could RV with the main group.

"Come on, let's go, my friend. Nothing here," he said to Thor.
Jan Cerny
 player, 610 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 1 Jul 2010
at 14:24
Re: Splitting Up
Jan crouched down in an attempt to make himself less visible in the moonlight.

"Which way do you want us to go?" he asked Konrad.  "I think that we need to move northwards, zig zagging between these apartment blocks as they'll help to hide us.  Or do you want to hold for a couple of minutes to let Dawid and Thor rejoin us?"
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 756 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 1 Jul 2010
at 15:51
Re: Splitting Up
Mariusz braced the rifle against the rubble of the house and used his Night Vision Gear to enhance his aim. Given the distance he aimed at the easiest target rather than trying to pick out a commander or other choice target.

He eased his breathing and let his sights settle on the centre of the target's body. He rolled the Tantal's trigger and then fired a single shot. He followed this up with a wild burst of ten bullets in teh general direction of the enemy, letting the long tongue of the Tantal's muzzle flash lance out into the darkness.

He recovered from the recoil and crawled directly backwards from the rubble. If he reached the corner without getting shot he intended to head to the north east of teh building, making as much noise as possible in the hope of luring the enemy onto Dieter's gun.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 170 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Fri 2 Jul 2010
at 03:45
Re: Splitting Up
Thor nodded agreement and moved off towards the north. He'd been tempted for a moment to head east to add further confusion to the pursuing enemy, but common sense overuled his initial instincts. If they got themselves into trouble, there was little likelyhood Thor could move quickly enough with his current heavy load to avoid capture.

Thor "The Thunderer"
Returning with Dawid to main group
Barret M82A1 ("Mjollnir") (10/10) + 4x10 + 1x6
PM-63 (25/25) + 1x25
H & K USP-9SD, 9mm (15/15) + 3x15
M-26A1 hand grenade, x6
M-18 Smoke grenade, green, x2
M72A4
Bayonet/knife
Entrenching Tool
Individual Tactical Radio
30rd mag, 5.45mm, full, x5

This message was last edited by the player at 06:49, Fri 02 July 2010.