Ch. 15: Warsaw (Part I)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Minh Quyen
 player, 507 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 2 Jul 2010
at 05:15
Re: Link-up
Jan Cerny:
"Let's try to find more tracks to loose our trail amongst," he commented quietly to Quyen after a few paces.


"Yeah." Quyen whispers quietly.

With Jan in front, Quyen will cover the upper floors above him as they lead the main group through the residential area. Every now and then she will glance over her shoulder an ensure everyone else was still behind her. Quyen will also look for additional tracks in the snow to help conceal their escape.

When Jan stops to ask Konrad on directions, she keep focused on watching the front, and leave the discussion to those two.

OOC - Took the 3 Mags from Thor.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:16, Fri 02 July 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 173 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Fri 2 Jul 2010
at 06:45
Re: Splitting Up
Mariusz Tokarski:
Mariusz braced the rifle against the rubble of the house and used his Night Vision Gear to enhance his aim. Given the distance he aimed at the easiest target rather than trying to pick out a commander or other choice target.

He eased his breathing and let his sights settle on the centre of the target's body. He rolled the Tantal's trigger and then fired a single shot. He followed this up with a wild burst of ten bullets in teh general direction of the enemy, letting the long tongue of the Tantal's muzzle flash lance out into the darkness.

He recovered from the recoil and crawled directly backwards from the rubble. If he reached the corner without getting shot he intended to head to the north east of teh building, making as much noise as possible in the hope of luring the enemy onto Dieter's gun.


Dieter settled in to a good sniping position. He watched at Mariusz positioned himself, and then watched as the young Pole opened fire. "My God, that kid has seriously big balls," he muttered to himself. As Mariusz crawled away, Dieter selected targets. He intended to fire 2/3 shots in total. Primary targets would be officers/NCOs, followed by machinegunners and then radiomen. He will aim for the stomach on each one, not aiming to kill but aiming to wound, forcing the wounded man's comrades to use men to remove them from the battlefield, thus further depleting their forces.

As the first target hoved into view, he confirmed his aim, and gently squeezed the trigger. He then quickly move to his second target, and possibly a third as well.

After he had fired his 2/3 shots he will crawl backwards, then quickly get into a crouch when out of sight. He will move back into the building and quickly get out to the back and head northeast, meeting up with Mariusz and then bravely run away!

From his position on the rooftop he could see derelict parkland directly to the northeast, and what appears to be another old school directly north. He will suggest to Mariusz that they go north first, then northeast. However, as Mariusz is the local boy he will follow his lead.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1877 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 2 Jul 2010
at 17:32
Re: Splitting Up

Dieter and Mariusz

Mariusz picks out a target from amongst the men gathering at the intersection. The enemy scatter like a flock of pigeons at the sound of the gunshot and the subsequent burst. The spotlight that had been illuminating the intersection searches around a bit before shutting off. (Mariusz -6 rounds)

Dieter has to wait for a minute or so for a target to present itself. During that time, Mariusz pulls back apparently unoticed. Dieter settles on the head of a man peeking out from behind the ruined carcas of an old city bus. The bullet punches into the rusted metal body of the bus and the man disappears like a startled gopher.

A boxy shape pulls into the intersection and swings around to face Dieter. It's spotlight flashes back on, playing havoc with his night vision. The BMP-1 starts rumbling forward, a few men advancing in its tracks while others presumably move around and through the buildings on either side of the street.

Dawid and Thor

Shortly before Mariusz and Dieter innitiate their ambush, Dawid and Thor, after stashing the disabled M240 inside the empty bunker, head north to rejoin with the main group.

Main Group

Led by Jan, the main group cuts to the right, hoping to conceal itself and lose its pursuers among the apartment blocks on the east side of the road.


Next Moves?

Updated Tac-Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...84,0.032938&z=16

-R.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 757 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 2 Jul 2010
at 17:54
Re: Splitting Up
Mariusz ran over to Dieter and said, "Good work, see if you can get a place in the building at the intersection ahead," he pointed to a large building, "if the enemy come after us you can go through the building and keep going northeast, the BMP won't be able to follow you. I'll go there," he pointed to a building roughly opposite, "I'll try to draw attention from there. If it works this time, it won't work again so keep heading northeast. If you can stop in a church or a school, I'll find you that way."

Mariusz waited for Dieter to agree or suggest an alternative before moving.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 174 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Fri 2 Jul 2010
at 20:19
Re: Splitting Up
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #823):

Dieter nodded in response to Mariusz's direction, and headed off to the derelict school building indicated. He intended to follow a similar plan again, and find a good sniping position on an upper floor. As he moved he watched where Mariusz went so he would have a good idea where the young Pole was.

OOC - Rae: I presume from your GM post that I only fired 1 shot, and I'm not sure if I hit the target or not.

Dieter Brandt
Moving NE into the derelict school, looking for a new sniping position.
PSG-1 - 18/20 rounds
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers

This message was last edited by the player at 20:20, Fri 02 July 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 758 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 2 Jul 2010
at 20:42
Re: Splitting Up
Mariusz clapped his comrade on the shoulder and then ran over to his chosen hide. He looked around for a place to shelter and once he found one he intended to fire two spaced shots into the air, wait for about thirty seconds and then scream in the thick Warsaw accent of the poor kids he'd played with as a boy, "Help me! The cultist bastards are torturing me! Aaagh!!!"
Jan Cerny
 player, 611 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 2 Jul 2010
at 21:48
Re: Splitting Up
Jan continues to lead the main group in a North Westerly direction, cutting between apartment blocks and looking for somewhere where they could lay up and hide from pursuit while waiting for the others to rejoin them.

Periodically he will stop to consult with Konrad in order to ensure that he is going in the right direction.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 879 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 3 Jul 2010
at 02:34
Re: Splitting Up
Tucker continues to bring up the rear of the group and when/if they stop, he will concentrate his attentiontowards the rear of the group.  He will keeps eyes out for any of the other friendly groups out there too.

Tucker
M-16A2 [30/30] / M-203 [HEDP]
H&K SOCOM Pistol [9/12] (Holstered)

Salvaged Gear:
Claymore Mine & Pouch    2.0
Mag Bandoleer [6 MAG 30] 3.0
5 L. Canteen             5.0
Pack (if allowed)

Tail-end Charlie

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1981 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 3 Jul 2010
at 10:18
Re: Splitting Up
Keeping to the sides, Dawid used his NVGs to help navigate through the darkened rubble-filled streets.

He let Thor take the lead, keeping to the side of the street and using buildings for cover.


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM (100/100) + 1 Spare Belt (85)
3 Frag Grenades
Stechkin + 2 Magazines

Heading North to RV with the main group.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 180 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 6 Jul 2010
at 00:41
Re: Splitting Up

Craig spent the time at the bunker changing his dressing for a fresh one. He then covers the left flank as they move out.

At the next oppourtunity he moves forward to talk to Konrad.

"Captain could we try for a crossing of the river, either a bridge or boat ? I think the people on the other bank where a little less freindly to the Barons troops, that was the rumour among his people anyway."
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 173 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Tue 6 Jul 2010
at 13:37
Re: Splitting Up
Thor moved as quickly as he could through the darkness, relying only when absolutely necessary on his vision enhancements to pick out the next stage of their route, or negotiate a particularly tricky section.
"This wrong," he muttered to Dawid when he drew close.
"We should attack, break through. Make hurt. Make scared of Æsir."
"Demonene run away. Æsir escape."

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1985 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 6 Jul 2010
at 21:01
Re: Splitting Up
In reply to Thor Halgeirsen (msg #830):

"You are right."

They continued.

"I will talk to Konrad. We must give them reason... not to pursue."

He kept looking around for hostiles. He tried switching his NVGs on and then off, but it just wrecked his natural night-vision so he kept them on at least for the few minutes they were running.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:01, Tue 06 July 2010.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1881 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 7 Jul 2010
at 20:43
Reunited

Tuesday, October 24th, 2000
0600 hrs.
30F
Partly cloudy skies; slight breeze from the west
Quarter Moon (waning)
East Bank Warsaw, Poland



The group is huddled together in the living room of a small, third floor apartment. It's occupants, an elderly couple and a plain-faced teenaged girl, sit shoulder to shoulder on a old couch. Despite your repeated assurances, they appear affraid. Konrad and his squad arrived first, led by Woj. There wasn't time to search for an unoccupied flat- they simply tried the door to the apartment, found it unlocked, and pushed their way inside. The family was already up- roused by the sound of gunfire- dressed in their nightclothes and swathed in blankets, sitting in the dark of their living room. They offered no resistance and their protests were brief and not loud enough to have woken the neighbors.

Thor and Dawid arrived a half-an-hour later. Thor's appearance seems to increase the unease of the flat's occupants. The small living room is quite crowded now.

Dieter and Mariusz show up an hour before sunrise. Both men are exhausted, having expended considerable energy and a handful of rounds in drawing the main enemy pursuit forces off the trail. The satisfaction derived from having taken down a half-dozen (Dieter estimates) of the Baron's men is diminished by cold and fatigue. (Dieter -1 full mag; Mariusz -1 full mag)

For many minutes, everyone is silent. You look from the exhausted faces of your comrades to the apprehensive looks of your hosts. It's almost as cold inside as it is outside, but the collection of warm bodies within the close confines of the small flat takes the edge off. Your feet are not quite numb enough to mask the pain. You dare not remove your damp, nearly frozen boots and socks quite yet, though. Despite your best hopes, you half expect the Baron's men to arrive at any minute. When the patriarch offers to start a fire in the small, jury-rigged woodburning stove, you gladly accept.

Warren, taking his silenced pistol and radio, leaves the apartment to climb to the roof. He comes back fifteen minutes later, bringing with them a boy and his middle-aged mother tied together at the wrist.

"They saw me. I would have shot them, except I thought about what might happen if the neighbors stopped by their place to borrow some sugar.

"Anyway, the 10th is on the move. They should be here tonight. We need to make some more mischief, draw the Baron's men towards the river."


There are now sixteen people crowded into an apartment designed for a family of four. You've been awake and on the move since just after sunset. You've been hounded through snow and rubble-covered streets and water-filled sewer tunnels. Most of your food was lost with the abandoned packs. Miraculously, no one has been hurt. All of you, however, are suffering from borderline frostbite.

Soft daylight filters in through gaps and holes the curtains. The apartment faces west. If you'd dare to open the curtains and remove the crude, homemade shutters (there's no glass), you'd just be able to see the Vistula through the spaces between badly damaged apartment buildings across an open courtyard to the west.


Next Moves?


Updated Tac-Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...66,0.065875&z=15

-R.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:06, Wed 07 July 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 760 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 7 Jul 2010
at 21:02
Re: Reunited
Mariusz sat in a corner of the room to avoid overheating too quickly and instead flexing and exercising his muscles to get the blood back into the most exposed capiliaries. He was tired and wet but frostbite could kill him even now if some of the tissue went necrotic.

He paused in the middle of a sit up and said, "You should give Dieter that big gun, Thor, he was amazing, he must have shot a hundred men last night. Well, six at least."

He listened to Warren and said, "What about Dawid's sister? If we're starting a war with the Baron's troops we need to get her out of the danger zone first."

Warren might be still fighting for a cause, but Mariusz had always fought for his friends first and a cause second. For him, saving what was left of Dawid's family was more important than anything else. The small rational part inside him knew that his position was irrational, but the rest of him dug in, if Dawid's sister was alive, keeping her alive was all that mattered.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 177 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Wed 7 Jul 2010
at 21:09
Re: Reunited
Cap'n Rae:
Dieter and Mariusz show up an hour before sunrise. Both men are exhausted, having expended considerable energy and a handful of rounds in drawing the main enemy pursuit forces off the trail. The satisfaction derived from having taken down a half-dozen (Dieter estimates) of the Baron's men is diminished by cold and fatigue.


Dieter stepped into the apartment. He had been running for most of the night, and when he wasn't running he was lying prone, sniping the enemy. Between the two of them, he and Mariusz had led the baron's forces on a merry dance for most of the night. He has gotten totally lost, and had relied heavily on Mariusz's local knowledge in order to eventually evade their pursuer's. Hopefully the baron's forces where now spread all over the city, and were convinced that an army had turned up, rather than just a couple of guys.

Stepping into the front room where the others were, he gave up worrying about how badly he smelled. The stinking fug from the others cloyed at his nostrils. He quickly took off his outer layers and attempted to dry them off as much as he could in the confined space, appreciating that it may be a bit of a lost cause.

As the team settled in, a combination of exhaustion and hunger overtook him. Food was going to be a problem, He had managed to salvage a couple of days rations from his bag before they entered the sewers, but wasn't sure what the others had manage to gather.

"Fraulein," he piped up to the old lady whose apartment they had so rudely overtaken. When she looked at him quizically he switched to his broken Polish. "Madam, we are cold and hungry, and would be grateful if we could use your kitchen to cook some food."

This wasn't really a request, but he thought it wouldn't hurt to be polite. With that he moved towards the kitchen and started to prepare the some of the food he had. Hopefully others would help with the prep, and supply extra rations so that all in the party could enjoy a good hot meal.

OOC - I have 2x One Day Rations [3.0kg] which I intend to use to feed the team. If others wish to add to this please let me know.

Once the meal was ready he greedily polished off his share. He had never been a big eater, but recently had come to appreciate food at a basic level, and needed the hot fuel inside him. Once finished, the tiredness started to catch up with im. He quickly checked that his rifle was clean and dry (he would try to clean it properly later on), and then found a space in the apartment to put his head down. Within moments he was in a deep sleep. Hopefully, the demons that haunted him would give him some peace.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:12, Wed 07 July 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 761 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 7 Jul 2010
at 21:18
Re: Reunited
Mariusz paused to open up one of his pouches, "I've been saving these for emergencies," he said, "they are East German MRE packs."

He handed the three oval packages to Dieter, "The food will probably look like dog chow but it should still be good."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 882 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 7 Jul 2010
at 23:44
Re: Reunited
Tucker sits down where there is room on the apartments floor and puts his head back and almost immediately falls asleep.  The fatigue was catching up with him and the team, it was very obvious and a miravle that everyone was mostly in one piece.  "Well, I managed to grab my water bladder so if we need drinking water, we at least have that option until it runs out," Robert tells everyon as Deiter and Mariusz break out what they salvaged from their dropped gear.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1989 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 7 Jul 2010
at 23:53
Re: Reunited
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #835):

Dawid was thankful for the respite. He told the room's occupants in Polish, "You have my deepest thanks and that of my comrades. May the blessings of God be upon you and no harm shall come to you while we are under your roof." He crossed himself for emphasis.

"Please, you must go in the bedroom for now, we must take our council and the less you know, the better it will be for you."

After they were in the bedroom, he then went around collecting food from the others but not the apartment dwellers. He didn't demand but let it be known that anything anyone wanted to contribute was appreciated. Personally, he donated a day's worth of food.

After, he checked feet. They were on foot and had been in freezing water for a time, and they couldn't afford to develop problems in their last remaining transportation systems!

He told Konrad, "the Baron's men should be close to breaking by now, or at least must be discontent. They are mostly just rabble and those that aren't are deserters and mutineers. We've inflicted many losses on them lately. We cannot take it for granted, but I have a feeling the Baron can't hold the upper hand for long."

"We should send out our snipers to cause more mischief, at least. Let us make the night something the Baron's men fear more than him."

"I also want to rescue my sister. I'd hoped we could do that if there were any uniforms left in the bunker to disguise us, but that was not to be."

Alexei Ondar
 player, 164 posts
 Starshiy Praporshchik
 Ex-GRU/Spetznaz
Thu 8 Jul 2010
at 02:32
Re: Reunited
After taking a cursory stab at evaluating the security of their position, Ondar strips off his boots and socks.  We wrings out the latter and attempts to position them in a manner to dry in the relative warmth cast from the woodstove.  He had managed to salvage three kilos of MRE-style rations while dumping his pack at the sewer entrance.  After helping himself to the flat-dwellers' homemade soap to wash his hands, he begins to break down and distribute the food - first to the team, then offering what is left to the apartment's occupants.

The defector listens intently to Piotrowski.  The Pole's spirit and tenacity had impressed him.  This was a warrior of a much higher caliber than the typical conscripts with which he had grown accustomed to dealing.  He nods in agreement.

"Yes, first get warm, dry, and fed.  Later raise hell while still have favor position and surprise.  Is maskirovka.  From conceal, hit then run." Ondar proposes as he places a hand on the Polish Sergeant's shoulder.  "We get sister.  Family most important thing."
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 176 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Thu 8 Jul 2010
at 13:20
Re: Reunited
Upon entry, Thor stripped off his webbing and boots and laid down on the floor next to Mjollnir. With his feet tucked up within several layers of clothing and skins he was quite possibly the warmest person in the room. Norwegian issue fatigues were covered with cold weather clothing, overwhites and his furs. Moments later the first exhausted snore quietly escaped the vaguely human shaped pile.
Mariusz Tokarski:
"You should give Dieter that big gun, Thor, he was amazing, he must have shot a hundred men last night. Well, six at least."

Thor's eyes flicked open briefly at the sound of his name and he looked back at the boy as if he were demented. Without a word, he pulled the heavy weapon closer, wrapped his arm around it tightly and despite being fast asleep, didn't let go for nearly an hour...

This message was last edited by the player at 00:22, Fri 09 July 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 762 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 8 Jul 2010
at 19:35
Re: Reunited
"We don't necessarily need uniforms to disguise ourselves," Mariusz said, "we could use civilian clothing. Dawid and I could pass easily and we might be able to carry the way for others."

He looked around, "Civilian clothing might be thin on the ground too but we'll find it more easily than uniforms."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1885 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 9 Jul 2010
at 20:47
Re: Reunited

Tuesday, October 24th, 2000
0630 hrs.
30F
Partly cloudy skies; slight breeze from the west
Quarter Moon (waning)
East Bank Warsaw, Poland



You've breakfasted on some of the rations you and the others managed to grab from your packs before abandoning them. The apartment's defacto legal residents ultimately accept some of the food after first politely but half-heartedly declining. They huddle quietly in one of the apartment's two small bedrooms, whispering among themselves.

Engine sounds filter up from the streets, through the gaps in the makeshift shutters, and into the apartment, now pleasantly warm. A man's voice blares through a loudspeaker. At first, it's too far off and muffled to make out what he's saying. After a few minutes, the vehicle and its loudspeaker cargo have crawled closer- it sounds like it's right outside on the street below- and you can clearly hear the orders being broadcast to the neighborhood.

"All building wardens report streetside immediately. Failure to do so will result in punishment detail or worse. All building wardens get down here immediately!"

The middle-aged man whose apartment you have commandeered pokes his head out from the small bedroom in which the civilians have been confined and, rather meekly, announces,

"I am the warden for this building."

Peeking out through gaps in the shutters, you can see a BTR with its top hatches open slowly rolling through the rubble-free channel running down the middle of the street below. The loudspeaker protrudes from one of the open roof hatches. In the hatch next to it, a man with a knitted cap holds a CB-style microphone to his mouth. About a dozen dismounted infantry walk in single file on the edge of the rubble piles on the far side of the street, weapons held at the low ready or port arms. You almost duck away from the window as one of the men looks up at you. He probably can't see enough to believe that what he's looking at is anything other than an ordinary apartment dweller.

The buildings on the opposite (west) side of the street appear to have absorbed the brunt of the nuclear blasts that pulverized most of the west bank of the city. They don't appear to be occupied.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:01, Fri 09 July 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1991 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 10 Jul 2010
at 00:59
Re: Reunited
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #841):

Dawid thought quickly.

"We have three choices."

"One, our friend here won't tell on us, chances are the Baron's men won't care about killing his family to get to us. We could hide here or make a run out the back."

"Two, we could attack from surprise right now."

"Three, we could send people with suppressed pistols and try and take the BMP. They can't know all the Wardens by sight. If we go now we can be out before the other Wardens are roused. We have suppressed rifles as well that can cover them from the roof and here. Failing a stealth takeout, we could just destroy the vehicle."

"I volunteer to go, but I am not an expert marksman with the pistol. I'm just tired of walking, and think of the havoc we could raise with that beast!"


He looked around, remembering who there had suppressed weapons.

"The men with silenced weapons are: Craig, Jan, Ondar, Warren, and Tucker. If some or all can get close enough to take the BTR's crew, we can take care of the dismounts."

This message was last edited by the player at 11:34, Sat 10 July 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 181 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 10 Jul 2010
at 08:48
Re: Reunited

Craig had spent the intervening time between arrival at the apartment and the call on the load speaker attending to his leg. He had cleaned the wound and reapplied another field dressing then taken some more meds.

When the call comes he loads the booster onto the grenade then readies the RPG-7s launcher. He listens to Dawids assessment of the situation. Then adds:

”Send him down if it goes to shit we can rain down on them.”
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 763 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 10 Jul 2010
at 12:12
Re: Reunited
"I disagree with attacking now," Mariusz said in Polish to Dawid making sur ethe building warden could hear him, "if we fight these people are dead and tehy don't deserve that, if the warden shops us he knows that his family is dead either killed in the cross-fire of for harbouring us. The only hope for these people is for us to stay quiet here and hope the warden isn't stupid enough to sacrifice his family for the greater good of the Black Baron. As soon as the enemy are gone we sjould get out of here and stop endangering these good people."

He looked over at the Kaptain and said, "Fighiting's no good, the civilians will die and we'll be back to a running fight like last night. Given the speed of teh Baron's forces responses so far, there'll be backup here before we wipe out this lot and capture the vehicle. Even then, the vehicle is a death trap, we don't know which roads are clear and we'll end up either driving ourselves into a dead end or crashing in rubble."