Ch. 15: Warsaw (Part I)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2023 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 27 Jul 2010
at 11:38
Re: CQB
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #943):

"We need to wait for the others, not that I disagree," Dawid replied.

Finally Konrad clarified where they were going, and Dawid ordered his detachment, "let's go out the front, then! Mariusz, on me. Sutherland, Jan, you're on the lookout for armour."

He transmitted as they moved back through the building to link up with the others, "Thor, where the fuck are you? Do you read me? Sunray, Thor isn't responding and we don't have time to look for him."

As they moved he picked up an AKS-74 for Woj (in case he needed the AK-74/BG-15 back from Woj) and slung it over his shoulder.


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM (90/100 +  1 spare belt)
2 Fragmentation Grenades
Moving through building to front
Linking up with the rest of the section.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:38, Tue 27 July 2010.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1924 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 27 Jul 2010
at 21:04
Re: CQB

After a couple of minutes of confusion and hurried activity, the team takes a few seconds to reorient itself. Before leaving the rear exit to head back towards the front, Warren, looking to his left, spots at least a squad of enemy dismounts running southwest as they cross a gap between two of the buildings to the north. A moment later, a second squad starts filling that same gap, moving cautiously towards him. They must spot Warren as he slowly shuts the door as several of them start firing it up with their rifles. Fortunately, none of the rounds penetrate the door until Warren and others are well clear. Warren wastes no time getting to the front of the building.

As he runs down the line of people queued up to move out the back door, Warren mutters, "This is just too fucking perfect." Oddly, he sounds completely sincere.

The entire team- sans Thor who has been conspicuously quiet since his attempt to drop hand grenades into the BTR from the partially collapsed roof atop the apartment's sixth story- gathers at the front entrance. Konrad shuttles them across the road towards a gap between two of the wings of the derelict building to the west. In the road, you can clearly hear vehicle engines. Inside the man-made canyons of the city streets, it's hard to tell where the sounds are coming from, but you're pretty sure they are eminating from both the northeast and the east. You're also fairly certain that you can hear the squeak of tracks joining the growing cacophony.

The team reaches the gap between the two badly damaged buildings and sets up a hasty defensive wagon-wheel while Konrad does a head count. Coming up one short, it's quickly apparent that Thor is missing. Looking norh, someone spots a head and shoulder's pop out from behind the corner of the apartment building you've just left. It looks like the enemy reaction (or part thereof) has arrived.


Updated Tac-Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...0048c102144e4ed692d2


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:59, Wed 28 July 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 779 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 27 Jul 2010
at 22:10
Re: CQB
"That maniac Swede is probably getting ready to ambush the pursuit," Mariusz said, "it'll buy us a few minutes we need to make the most of them and run."

He looked around, running west was going to get them trapped against the river but all other options seemed even more dangerous.

"We could try losing them in the old zoo."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 908 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 27 Jul 2010
at 23:18
Re: CQB
"With or without Thor, we need to move or everything is going to go to shit real quick.  Boss, whenever you're ready to move out, me and Minh got the point.  Mari, Dawid, any directions while we got point you think will shake them, I'm open for options!"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2024 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 27 Jul 2010
at 23:22
Re: CQB
Swinging the PKM around and setting it on its bipod, Dawid fired a long burst at the apartment building.

"The Zoo, whichever works. The way things have been going, the animals will all have radios and report our position to the Baron, while mounting a fanatical counter-attack. Personally, I think we need to discourage pursuit a little more!"


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM (90/100 +  1 spare belt)
2 Fragmentation Grenades
Firing long burst for suppressive fire.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:16, Wed 28 July 2010.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 909 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 28 Jul 2010
at 00:48
Re: CQB
"We can do a bounding retreat and discourage our pursuers!  We'll set up about 100 meters while the second group sets up another hundred meters past us.   It might bog us down some but, we've got to do something."
Dieter Brandt
 player, 201 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Wed 28 Jul 2010
at 06:25
Re: CQB
Spotting the enemy patrol, Dieter quickly took cover and fired a couple of aimed shots at anyone stupid enough to leave their head sticking out.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 780 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 28 Jul 2010
at 07:49
Re: CQB
Mariusz said, "All a bounding retreat will do is let them know where we are and allow them to concentrate troops. I used to go to the zoo a lot, depending on the war damage, there'll be a maze of cages and exhibits, lots are riddled with caves and passageways and there were rumours of underground passages connecting cages, though I think that was a story made up by kids."

"We need to break contact and get out of here," he urged, "trying to regroup and take the fight back to the Baron is suicide, our mission is too compromised and all we should be thinking about now is trying to survive."
Craig Sutherland
 player, 192 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 28 Jul 2010
at 09:24
Re: CQB

Talking from the middle of the stack Craig adds:

"Time to move, no more discussion. We can work out where when we haven't got the enemy up our arse. MOVE"

He then either moves with the group across the road or he moves out by himself. With the new AK-74/BG-15 at his shoulder, Craig moves to the other side of the road and covers the others if they follow.

Moving across the road to cover and covering the others advance


AK-74/BG-15 (30/30)+ 2x30(1/1 HE)+ 4 40mm HE Grenades - held at shoulder
RPG-7D (1/1 HEAT) + 2 PG-7V HEAT Grenades - slung on shoulder
AKS-74U (35/45) + 5x45 - wedged in webbing
Browning HP (18/20) w/ silencer + 2x20 - holstered
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade, L13A2 CS grenade

This message was last edited by the player at 00:39, Thu 29 July 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 190 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Wed 28 Jul 2010
at 13:55
Re: CQB
Thor crashed into sight at the very last moment, pieces of smashed concrete stuck in his hair and furs, his entire body white with a coating of powdered building.
"Sorry," he panted, leaning heavily on Mjollnir for supoprt.
"Dragon destroy trappen. Kollapse way down."
"Thor have to dig igjennom rubble..."


A few moments later and he was ready to move again, Mjollnir cradled in his arms.
"What happen? Where go?"

Thor "The Thunderer"
Bounding down from above, rubble bouncing down the stairs behind him
Ready to dash out and inflict pain and suffering
Barret M82A1 ("Mjollnir") (10/10) + 4x10 + 1x6
PM-63 (25/25) + 1x25
H & K USP-9SD, 9mm (15/15) + 3x15
M-26A1 hand grenade, x4
M-18 Smoke grenade, green, x2
M72A4
Bayonet/knife
Individual Tactical Radio

This message was last edited by the player at 15:02, Wed 28 July 2010.

Minh Quyen
 player, 516 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 28 Jul 2010
at 14:04
Re: CQB
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
"Boss, whenever you're ready to move out, me and Minh got the point."


Quyen acknowledges her team leader's comment with silent thumbs up, then goes back to watching to the front. Quyen will then wait for the order to move and when its given, will move in tandem with Tucker, covering each other with weapons at the ready.
Jan Cerny
 player, 650 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 28 Jul 2010
at 14:28
Re: CQB
As they prepared to move out again Jan hung at the back, intending on bringing up the rear as previously instructed by Konrad.  He planned to avoid firing if at all possible as they needed to disappear again.  If that wasn't possible and they were engaged he intended to fire pairs of single shots in order to delay pursuit by hopefully forcing the Baron's troops to take cover.

"I agree with Mariusz," he contributed.  "The zoo sounds like somewhere to loose them."  He didn't need to explain who them were.


Jan
Bringing up the rear, avoiding combat if at all possible but firing pairs of single shots if necessary.
F88 Steyr AUG (29/30 rounds - 7 mags total) - held
 - Underslung M203 (1/1 HE - 9x HE, 4x HEDP & 2x ILLUM total)
PM-84 submachine gun w/suppressor (20/25 rounds) - slung on shoulder
AKS-74 (10 mags total) - slung on shoulder
Smoke Grenade x1
Frag Grenade x2
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15 rounds - 4 mags total)
RPG-22 x1

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2025 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 29 Jul 2010
at 00:43
Re: CQB
In reply to Jan Cerny (msg #956):

After finishing his burst, regardless of effect, Dawid climbed off the pavement.

"West to the zoo it is?"

They really didn't have a lot of options, although they needed to break north soon if they didn't want to be cornered agains the river.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:32, Thu 29 July 2010.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1259 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 29 Jul 2010
at 16:38
Re: CQB
OOC - Sorry, I was waiting for confirmation from the GM.

Bayer acknowledges the updated head count and looking at Tucker and Quyen sweeps his hand from west to south west, "That way. Yes, the zoo. Keep moving."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1926 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 30 Jul 2010
at 00:16
The Zoo

Dieter and Dawid spot the snooper almost simultaneously and both open fire. Instead of jerking back away from the corner of the building, the man falls face first- without attempting to break his fall- into the snow, his upper torso remaining in full view of the street. (Dieter -1 round; Dawid -5 rounds)

Konrad orders the entire group to head towards the zoo. With Tucker and Minh in the lead, the group heads southwest, across a snow covered courtyard between the two east-facing wings of the partially collapsed building, towards a shorter section of the building at the L-junction between the wings and the main section of the building which runs perpendicular to them. All of the entrances that you can see on the east-face of the building are smashed or partially buried by rubble fallen from the partially collapsed upper stories. The only way past the building- besides going around it- is to climb over the rubble in the afore-mentioned gap at the corner junction.

The party clambers over rubble pile spilling on top of the gap. A few rounds snap overhead or carom off of the water-stained concrete of the south wing as the tail-end of the group makes its way over the rubble and to the road. From here it's a straight shot to the zoological park. The once thickly-wooded park has been denuded by battle damage and woodcutters searching for fuel for their stoves and hearths. The sturdy, stubborn stumps that remain provide a modicum of cover as the group quickly picks its way west, deeper into the park.

Ahead of you are several low buildings, each showing obvious damage from shell-fire. Mariuz identifies them as the primate house and the African large grazer building. Behind you, fleeting figures dash from cover to cover near the road. A couple of reaching shots ring out.


Updated Tac-Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...92,0.016469&z=17


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:46, Fri 30 July 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 781 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 30 Jul 2010
at 14:10
Re: The Zoo
Mariusz looked around, if they'd had to climb over rubble to get into the zoo then the barriers should deter the vehicles for a while. The problem was that they still couldn't break contact with the enemy.

He knelt by Bayer's side and said, "Kaptain, these guys are just going to hound us into a hole and smoke us out if we keep going like this. I suggest we fire a strong volley here and I'll act as rear guard. Move north toward the bridge and use the snipers to help me cover you as they retreat. Then leave what you can under the bridge and make it look as if you've crossed the river. I'll hold them as long as I can and then try to evade capyure, I know the area, I'm a native, I have alternate clothing and when I'm out of uniform I look about twelve. I have the best chance of pulling this off."
Jan Cerny
 player, 651 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 30 Jul 2010
at 21:39
Re: The Zoo
"A brave suggestion Mariusz but let me offer another one," contributed Jan from where he had just climbed over the latest mound of rubble.  "We find a suitable spot, dig in for a minute or so, unleash everything at our pursuers for something like thirty seconds to a minute and then bug out again.  We inflict casualties, demonstrate that we can inflict more damage to them than they can to us and that loosing us is their best option.  We need to make them want to stop pursuing us even though the Baron has ordered them to do so!  Their morale can't be that high!  I doubt that they're fanatics!"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1260 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 30 Jul 2010
at 21:54
Re: The Zoo
"I'm sorry Mariusz. I have every confidence in you, but I can't expect such a thing at this time." Bayer replies quietly. But I may very well ask it in the near future...

"Snipers on the outer left and right flanks. Far flanks... 25 meters or so. Priority is leadership and radios." he orders instead. "Tucker, your team inner left with the Polish guide. Dawid, yours is on the inner right."

Continuing with his brief frag orders he says, "Hold fire until I initiate it. Then listen for the call to withdraw, done by voice and radio. When I say we are moving, everyone moves. No delay. Tucker you'll be at the lead again, going west until the river and then north."

"Into positions, near the buildings, quickly."

Sniper Tm1 - Tuckers Tm - HQ - Dawids Tm - Sniper Tm2

This message was last edited by the player at 21:55, Fri 30 July 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2026 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 31 Jul 2010
at 05:18
Re: The Zoo
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #962):

"Konrad, we should turn north soon lest we are trapped against the river. Maybe we should call the Queen for a pickup now? If it's not needed then can be warned away in time."

He turned to Mariusz.

"Mariusz, very brave my friend, but that's what the snipers are for. They can finally earn their pay! As for you, come help me get set up."

Dawid set up his team (Mariusz and himself toward the centre, then Jan and Sutherland toward the right flank as an RPG team.

He took a moment to change belts, switching the slightly low can for his fresh one. "There, we are ready to give them a bloody nose!" He also checked the salvaged AK, making sure the magazine was loaded and it was set to semi-auto fire.


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM (90/100 +  1 spare belt w/-15 down)
2 Fragmentation Grenades
Setting up hasty defence, reloading the PKM, checking AK.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:49, Sat 31 July 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 193 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 31 Jul 2010
at 07:52
Re: The Zoo

As the group stops in the zoo grounds, Craig took a moment to check his leg again. He made sure the wound was not bleeding to much and the bandage was still in place.

He then check over the AK-74/BG-15 combo while listening to Konrads instructions. Following the others Craig tries to find a position with solid cover next to one of the buildings. He lays the RPG-7D with a grenade loaded next to his foot within easy reach.

If sees the BMP or BTR that would be his first target otherwise he would fire short bursts at the infantry and the 40mm grenade at groups.




Dawids Team
Waiting for the call to fire

AK-74/BG-15 (30/30) + 2x30(1/1 HE)+ 3 40mm HE Grenades - held at shoulder
RPG-7D (1/1 HEAT) + 2 PG-7N HEAT Grenades - slung on shoulder
AKS-74U (35/45) + 5x45 - wedged in webbing
Browning HP (18/20) w/ silencer + 2x20 - holstered
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade, L13A2 CS grenade

This message was last edited by the player at 10:28, Sat 31 July 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 202 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Sat 31 Jul 2010
at 08:02
Re: The Zoo
Dieter listened carefully to the orders being issued. He smiled to himself as Dawid mentioned the snipers earning their pay. He didn't remember a discussion about salary when he signed up, let alone a pension or health benefits. He would have to check his contract.

He looked over towards Ondar and gestured towards the left flank (OOC - I assume the north as we have turned around to face the enemy who are coming from the east). He moved quickly in that direction, looking for a suitable firing position. Finding one he settled in and tried to identify targets, concentrating on the enemies northernmost members.

He will attempt to identify officers, NCOs, radiomen and those armed with MGs or RPGs. If possible he will indicate these to the other members of the team.

Dieter Brandt
Moving to left (north) flank and settling into firing position, identifying targets
PSG-1 + mag (18/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers
Composite Bow
AK-74 with underfolding stock + mag (30/30)

This message was last edited by the player at 08:04, Sat 31 July 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 652 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 31 Jul 2010
at 08:16
Re: The Zoo
Jan found some solid cover next to Craig and hunkered down behind it.  He spotted Craig sensibly checking his leg and made a mental note to do it himself once they had a proper opportunity.  For the moment he trusted Craig to say if there was a problem with his wound.

Jan then started scanning back the way they had come, looking for the enemy patrol that was pursing them.  "Everyone keep as quiet as possible and I'm sure we'll hear them coming," he hissed to those around him.

He pulled the Steyr tight into this shoulder, intending on firing the M203 at any groups he saw when Konrad gave the order.  He then intended to fire pairs of single shots at any other targets he could pick out.  As the snipers had been instructed to pick out priority targets Jan intended to shoot low priority ones, trusting the snipers to do their job.

Inflicting as many casualties as possible as quickly as possible was the objective now!


Jan
Finding a suitable firing position in solid cover next to Craig and engaging the enemy patrol when ordered to do so by Konrad.  He intended to fire his M203 at a suitable group and then pairs of single shots at other targets, deliberately focusing on low priority targets like regular infantrymen.
F88 Steyr AUG (29/30 rounds - 7 mags total) - held
 - Underslung M203 (1/1 HE - 9x HE, 4x HEDP & 2x ILLUM total)
PM-84 submachine gun w/suppressor (20/25 rounds) - slung on shoulder
AKS-74 (10 mags total) - slung on shoulder
Smoke Grenade x1
Frag Grenade x2
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15 rounds - 4 mags total)
RPG-22 x1

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 782 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 31 Jul 2010
at 08:29
Re: The Zoo
Mariusz settled down next to Dawid, "Do you want me to attach another belt yet?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2027 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 31 Jul 2010
at 08:50
Re: The Zoo
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #967):

"Good idea, but not quite yet. Hang onto the can for the moment."


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM (90/100 +  1 spare belt w/-15 down)
2 Fragmentation Grenades
Setting up hasty defence, reloading the PKM, checking AK.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1927 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 31 Jul 2010
at 20:49
Re: The Zoo

The team reaches the first large zoo building and beings deploying into a static firing line. Every couple of seconds, a round buzzes by nearby or cracks overhead. The enemy clearly has a pretty good idea of where you are.

What remains of the zoo building is of fairly sturdy concrete construction. Through the shell holes and partially collapsed walls, you can see many chambers, both large and small. Some are barred, like jail cells. All are empty, save for piles of rubble here and there.

The sniper teams deploy on the flanks, Thor and Dieter to the north, Warren and Ondar to the south. The rest of the team sets up behind cover between the sniper teams.

From your positions, you estimate that at least three squad's worth of infantry are preparing to attack your just-occupied positions. The southernmost squad appears to be swinging around in a wide arc to come in on the team's right flank. The northernmost squad appears to be preparing to do the same thing on the opposite flank, assembling behind a small building just off of the main road that runs alongside the eastern edge of the park. This squad is supported by a pair of BTR-80s. One of the BTRs rolls behind the building while the other remains stationary, it's gun pointing ominously at the zoo building.

The third squad appears to be coming straight down the middle, supported by a creeping BMP-2 AFV.

If the enemy dares to get a sniper or two safely into the upper levels of the badly damaged apartment building across the street from the park, things could get even worse.

The enemy moves cautiously and with some skill. They don't rush headlong at the buidling, nor do they bunch up to provide you with good targets.


Updated Tac-map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...46,0.008234&z=18


Next Moves?

OOC: In your next post, please let me know what kind of cover you are using (eg. tree stump, fallen tree, wall, etc.)

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:51, Sat 31 July 2010.