Ch. 15: Warsaw (Part I)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1699 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 19 Mar 2010
at 20:02
The Farm

Saturday, October 21st, 2000
1530 hrs.
42F
Thick overcast
Strong breeze from the N
Approximately 5km north of Minsk Mazowiekie, Poland



You continue north along the 50. A little over a kilometer from a small hamlet your maps identify as Arynow, you come to a road branching off to the northeast. Craig, at the rear of the column spots a young man on a bicycle, apparently following the group at some distance on the 50. The boy stops at around 500m from the recon team and studies them through binoculars. After a minute or two, the boy puts down the binos and pulls a square of green cloth from his jacket. He waves the cloth towards someone further to the east. It looks like the team has picked up a tail.

You hike up the smaller, unnamed road towards a small wood. It's hard not to feel naked as you move through the open country. Although you don't spot anyone else, you are certain that you are being watched by others beside the young cyclist. Still keeping his distance, he stops at the intersection you just passed and watches a bit longer before following again. At the next west-east road he pauses again, studies you through his binos, waves his makeshift semaphore, and then pedals away to the east.

You arrive at the small wood and take a break for lunch. The iron rations provided by Gora-Kalwaria are a little salty but surprisingly good overall. After an hour or so during which you eat, rest your feet, and empty your bladders- all while keeping a 360 degree watch- you set off again, pushing on towards the farm where you plan on spending the night. After clearing the woods, you detect no further surveilance of your party. You proceed north, passing several small homesteads along the way. None of them appear occupied. It's likely that the surviving former residents have sought safety in numbers in Mink Mazowieki or perhaps even Warsaw.

In the early afternoon, you arrive at a larger wood, just a couple of kilometers southeast of where Craig remembers the farm being. After another short break, you continue out of the woods towards an east-west road off of which a dirt road branches to the solitary farm. You study the farm complex through your optics. Several sheds and outbuildings surround the main farmhouse. No smoke drifts from the chimney of the sturdy, brick-built two-story residence. There is no movement outside. It is earily quiet.

The fields arround the farm appear fallow. Corn stubble covers some sections of the fields and tall grass in the others but it is dying and a lot of it is matted down from the last snow. There is very little snow on the ground except what remains beneath the trees and in other shaded areas.

There is a small stand of trees about 200m from where the farm road branches away from the main road and about 700m from the farm complex itself.

Single trees border the sunken dirt road to the farm so there is some cover and a bit of concealment on the way there.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:42, Fri 19 Mar 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 208 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Fri 19 Mar 2010
at 23:44
Re: The Farm

  Upon arrival Drew goes on alert.  Before they break into the main area Drew waves over the patrol to rally.

"Folks, I am not liking this.  I say we set up security, then do a box recon of the area outside the permimeter before our man here goes in and makes contact with his freinds.  What say you?"
Sgt Drew
M240
Discussing security issues and making contact

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1668 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 03:28
Re: The Farm
In reply to Steven Drew (msg #70):

When they arrived, Dawid set up the MG section to cover the back trail. Drew's team was on his right, he was on the left, and they were oriented to cover the respective flanks and rear. They could still bring the MGs to bear on the farm if they turned fully towards it but he was more worried about their followers than anyone at the farm, which no one knew they were heading specifically for.

When Drew waved over the patrol to rally, he debated whether to remind him that was the patrol leader's role, then decided against it. They were not a regular military unit and did not have to always obey the rigid rules and protocols. Besides, the new guy might have something worthwhile to say.

As it was, Drew's idea wasn't bad. "Drew, I would think we usually wait until the patrol leader calls for a meeting, but maybe you do it differently? No matter. Yes, I think a recce around the farm while the rest of us mounts a 360 degree defence is prudent. As well, we should do something about the followers. Throw them off somehow.

"There are many abandoned farms around here. Let's continue on and find one. We wait until nightfall, then send back one or two scouts to the objective. Or everyone back-tracks to the farm. Konrad?"

Dieter Brandt
 player, 49 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 04:13
Re: The Farm
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #71):

Dieter takes a knee close to Dawid, keen to discuss plans. "Herr Dawid, I suggest a small group go ahead to scout out the farm, but make it look like a routine check, rather than a specific objective. In the meantime the others take a quick break. If we encounter Herr Craig's farmer friends we can tell them we will return later, after nightfall. But if, as I suspect, there is nobody there we can come back later to do a detailed search for supplies and information after nightfall instead."

If this idea meets with approval, he will continue. "I suggest Herr Craig as he knows the farmer, Herr Jan and myself do the scouting."

If approved Dieter will ditch his pack and the radio with the team, retrieving his hunting bow and quiver of arrows.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 85 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 04:47
Re: The Farm
Craig calls Dawid over and hands him his field glasses, indicating the direction of their shadow:

“Hailstorm, Lightning we have a pursuer. I don't think they are a threat. Out”

As they move off Craig will try to catch a glimpse of who he is signalling too. He will also try to scan for the other people watching as they move along the road.

Once their pursuer moves away to the east Craig is again on the radio.

”Hailstorm, Lightning pursuer has broken contact and is heading to the East. Out”

Once the group stops to observe the farm, Craig helps set up the MG's then moves forward to the Captain. He finds a covered area to observe the farm through his field glasses all the while giving a running commentary of Intel. What's in all the sheds and out buildings, the layout of the main farm house and who should be present.

”Looks deserted, I don't think they would of let the farm go like this. Maybe they thought it safer with the communities closer to Warsaw or even in Minsk Mazowiekie.”

He again raises his field glasses this time to plain an approach to the main house. As the other gather around Craig lowers his glasses and quickly relays the information about the layout of the farm to the group.

”If we are to go in I think we should follow the irrigation ditch. We can form up at that corpse of trees where the majority of the team can cover our approach. Then myself and any other volunteers can go forward.”

“I don't think darkness will help either way as we are probably going to get shot at if we snoop around during the day or at night. I hope they recognise me before they pull the trigger.”


AKS-47U (45/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
RPG-7D Grenade Launcher, PG-7N HEAT Grenade x 4
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
E-108 Thermite Grenade x 2, RKG-3 AT Grenade x2
No.80 WP grenade, L13A2 CS grenade
Fire Support Element
Scanning surrounding area
Jan Cerny
 player, 347 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 09:38
Re: The Farm
Jan studied the farm through his own binoculars and listen to everyone else's comments.

Everyone was pitching in with a version of a plan so Jan joined in.

"Capitaine,"
he said addressing Konrad.  "I suggest that snipers and machinegun crews stay here with you and Apel to cover Tuck, Minh, Craig and I while we conduct a 360 recce of the farm.  Once we've checked the perimeter and returned here we can then work out how best to approach the farm."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1669 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 12:47
Re: The Farm
In reply to Craig Sutherland (msg #73):

In response to Sutherland's report Dawid replied, "my mistake, we do not have pursuers at the moment. Still, I think we can't take our being unseen for granted. We did say we were going to operate at night?"

He looked around, and saw that not only he and Drew but Sutherland was involved. He addressed them both, "gentlemen, I don't mean to curb your valuable input, but I see we have left Mariusz and Coulter in charge of rear and flank security. I will attend to this personally now, and please feel free to join me when you're done here. Excuse me, everyone!"

After he returned to his position, he took over the GPMG from Mariusz. He handed the boy his binoculars again. "Here. let me know if you see anything, yes?"

This message was last edited by the player at 14:09, Sat 20 Mar 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 42 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 13:26
Re: The Farm
"You give half hour. Thor go there."
He pointed almost directly at the farm, but made sure at least one person followed his arm to the tiny collection of bushes located about halfway between where they stood now and their intended destination.
From where he'd indicated, he'd be able to reach out and touch potential enemies with Mjollnir long before they became any sort of real threat, while also maintaining an effective cover of the farm itself.
"Bragi come too."
A hand snaked out from amongst the furs to touch Dieters bow.
"Leave. Bring Aych kay. Better."

His intentions stated, the fur clad madman faded into the countryside, heading off to establish his hide...
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 668 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 14:00
Re: The Farm
"OK, Boss," Mariusz said and scanned the area with the binoculars again.
Jan Cerny
 player, 348 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 21:50
Re: The Farm
Jan shook his head as Thor forced Konrad's hand.  The big Norwegian had shown little respect for the unit commander and the rest of the squad by setting off without Konrad deciding on a plan.  Come to think of it Jan wasn't even sure which plan Thor thought they were following!

That was twice that Thor had acted impetuously and Jan's previous respect for the Norwegian Marines fell even further.

"He's proving to be a liability," Jan commented to those around him while he waited for Konrad's decision on a plan to approach the farm.  "And I think that the madness and language problems may be faked."
Minh Quyen
 player, 480 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 06:16
Re: The Farm
Quyen remains with the main body during the halt. She'll continue to cover her arcs and await the order to move out.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 50 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 06:56
Re: The Farm
Thor Halgeirsen:
A hand snaked out from amongst the furs to touch Dieters bow.
"Leave. Bring Aych kay. Better."

His intentions stated, the fur clad madman faded into the countryside, heading off to establish his hide...


Dieter bristled as the Norwegian reached out to touch his hunting bow. It had been a gift from his father, and he was reluctant to let anyone else use it, especially not this crazy man who he was coming to dislike intensely.

As Thor marched off into his own, crazy world, Dieter turned back to the party leaders.

"Herr Bayer," he said to Konrad in English. "I am happy to do reconnaissance on the farm, or provide support here as needed. However, I refuse to work with that fucking lunatic anymore!"

Clearly very upset, this was the first time the quiet, well-spoken German had sworn for a long time, at least out loud. Looking in Thor's direction, he continued to Konrad, "He is a liability, and I am not going to put my life at risk because he can't follow orders, or even basic military protocols. He has a gun, and his own radio, so let him work as an independent unit. I can work solo, or you can assign someone else to work with me, I don't mind. But if you try to force me to work with that idiot I will pack up my equipment and leave right now."

Dieter's facial expression, normally stoic and impassive, clearly shows he means business, and is prepared to pack up and walk away if he has to.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1156 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 08:41
Re: The Farm
Bayer lowers the optics he was using to observe the farm and says, "All good plans everyone." But then with nod to Sutherland he continues, "But the Lieutenant is doing the knocking so we'll go with what he's mentioned."

Pointing to the few scraggly trees near farm he says, "Main body will hold in amongst those trees. See the road? It's sunk a bit below the ground level. We'll use that* to approach since the fields are flat and bare."

"Sutherland will take Mariusz." Bayer adds. "No more, as I want to make it as easy as possible for them to recognize him... and for it not to look like an invasion. The final approach will be open and exposed enough as it is to risk two."

Holding up a hand to Dieter, Bayer says sternly, "Then I will shoot you in the back for desertion." He then breaks a rare smile and says, "Das gerade Verkohlen."

"Hang back and take up the rear security for now." he concludes with a pat on Dieter's shoulder. "We'll deal with... this later after we're secure."

* Sutherland mentioned an irrigation ditch but I believe he's referring to a road. Regardless, its a depression.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:43, Sun 21 Mar 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 86 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 08:54
Re: The Farm

Craig raises his hand as Dieter raises his concerns about the Norwegian;

”Dieter the present plan on the board is for myself, Jan and you to recce the farm and if the Captain here has no objections it still stands.”

“I agree the sniper is a liability and your concerns are correct, but apart from cutting him lose at the present time we have no other option but to let him do his own thing. If he tops one of my friends who may or may not be in that building I'll drill him myself.”

Konrad Bayer:
Bayer lowers the optics he was using to observe the farm and says, "All good plans everyone." But then with nod to Sutherland he continues, "But the Lieutenant is doing the knocking so we'll go with what he's mentioned."

Pointing to the few scraggly trees near the farm he says, "Main body will hold in amongst those trees. See the road? It's sunk a bit below the ground level. We'll use that* to approach since the fields are flat and bare."

"Sutherland will take Mariusz."


Craig nons at the Captain suggestion.

Taking off his pack and excess equipment Craig un-holsters his pistol and chambers a round he then puts the silencer on the weapon and re-holsters it. He then does a quick inspection of the chamber of the AKU before saying;

"Time to go gentlemen, I would like to know if my friends and savours are mouldering in the front room.”

With that he moves to the jumping off point in the trees.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:28, Sun 21 Mar 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 669 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 11:17
Re: The Farm
Mariusz handed the binoculars back to Dawid and checked that there was a round up the spout of his Tantal. He moved over to Sutherland and said, "I'm ready to follow you. Let's hope everything is OK."

He was worried however that Craig's decision to desert from the Baron's forces had already wreaked bloody execution on the people that had taken him in. In many areas warlords enforced troop loyalty by threats of retribution on the areas they recruited from. Mariusz hoped that the Baron either hadn't worked this nasty little trick out for himself, or that the vengance hadn't yet been served upon these people.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:20, Sun 21 Mar 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 349 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 13:49
Re: The Farm
Seeing Craig attach the silencer to his pistol Jan turned to Mariusz.  "You want to take the SMG with its suppressor?" he asked, indicating the PM-84 attached to the side of his pack.

Irrespective of Mariusz's decision Jan moved to join Dawid so that he could act as Dawid's loader should it be necessary.  He also made a note of where Craig had dropped his pack and other excess equipment so that he could retrieve it for the Marine should they have to bug out quickly.


OOC - Craig - did you leave the RPG-7D behind?
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 670 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 14:20
Re: The Farm
Never one to pass up trying a new weapon, Mariusz smiled and said, "Thanks, that could be very useful."

He switched weapons and got ready to go.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1673 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 15:52
Re: The Farm
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #85):

After receiving his orders from Konrad, Dawid took the binoculars from Mariusz and relieved Sutherland of the RPG-7D and pack with 3 spare rounds.

"No need to bring that with you, Coulter can carry it for now on the bike. There is no apparent need for it."

He addressed the element, which now included Dieter. "Drew, are you going to join us already? Now, when we get there, we're going to provide flank and rear security. The farm will be to our south-southest. So when we arrive we're going to dig in, then we're going to orient north with Dieter in the middle, my MG covering west and north, Drew's covering east and north. Everyone got it?"

This message was last edited by the player at 15:54, Sun 21 Mar 2010.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1703 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 17:52
Re: The Farm

Making good use of the available cover and concealment, the security and overwatch elements move into position without incident. Thor is nowhere to be seen and it's not clear yet whether that is a good or bad thing for the rest of you.

Following the sunken, tree-lined lane towards the farm, Craig and Mariusz approach the farm complex. They pause from time to time, studying the farmhouse and its outbuildings through binoculars and listening for sounds movement. Still, they detect no signs of life in or around the house.

The pair arrives outside the complex and enters through the front gate on its north side, as expected guests would. They walk into the midst of the sheds, garrage, and greenhouses. Looking towards the two-story brick farmhouse on the west end of the complex, they immediately notice that the front door is hanging awkwardly half-way inside the doorway by its lower hinge. It appears someone else has arrived here first.

The rest of you carefully study the farm and its surroundings from your concealed support positions. As the scouts enter the complex, you see nothing amiss. It really appears as though the farm has been abandoned.

It's grown noticibly colder in the last hour or so and the leaden sky looks like it's going to open up at any minute.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:31, Sun 21 Mar 2010.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 672 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 18:57
Re: The Farm
"Do you want me to go in first?" Mariusz whispered to Sutherland, "You knew these people and it might not be pretty in there."

He reamined in a low crouch with the submachinegun pointing at the door until Sutherland decided which way he wanted to play the entry.
Jan Cerny
 player, 353 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 21:35
Re: The Farm
Jan kept himself hunkered down in cover, watching the farm house and its surrounding buildings.  He had laid the Steyr beside himself and was using his binoculars to try to pick out anything inconsistent in the apparently abandoned buildings ahead.

Though he didn't have much of an angle for it he also rather morbidly started looking for areas of recently dug earth, something that could indicate a reasonably fresh grave.

"If this place is abandoned then it might make for a good RV should we get split up," he muttered to anyone nearby.  "It also might be a good place to sleep tonight."
Steven Drew
 player, 211 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Mon 22 Mar 2010
at 06:20
Re: The Farm
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #86):

Drew simply replies with a,

"Fine."  as he goes along with the group to whatever is about to happen.  He knows if it comes down to it, he will lay down fire but if worse comes to worse he will disapear into the trees where he has some chance of evading capture.

Sgt Drew
M240
following the group but more to the rear where he can lay down supressive fire.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 87 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 22 Mar 2010
at 06:28
Re: The Farm

Craig raises a finger to his lips and looks at Mariusz as he slings his AKU and then UN-holsters his Browning FN. He moves forward in a low run until he is against the right side of the partially open door to the farm house. Waiting for Mariusz to take the other side, he crouches low and scans he interior of the room. He then eases the door aside and begins clearing the downstairs rooms.

Once he has finished he moves up the stairs, hugging the wall to stop any creaking stairs and continues making the farmhouse safe.

OOC: Yep RPG launcher is on the pack.

AKS-47U (45/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
E-108 Thermite Grenade x 2, RKG-3 AT Grenade x2
No.80 WP grenade, L13A2 CS grenade
UK/PRC-349 VHF/FM transceiver Radio - ear piece
Fire Support Element
Clearing the farmhouse

This message was last edited by the player at 06:31, Mon 22 Mar 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 51 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Mon 22 Mar 2010
at 08:50
Re: The Farm
Konrad Bayer:
Holding up a hand to Dieter, Bayer says sternly, "Then I will shoot you in the back for desertion." He then breaks a rare smile and says, "Das gerade Verkohlen."

"Hang back and take up the rear security for now." he concludes with a pat on Dieter's shoulder. "We'll deal with... this later after we're secure."


Dieter listened quietly to Konrad's orders, eventually breaking a slight smile at the Hauptmann's quick quip in German. He nodded when instructed to rejoin the team in a support capacity, confident that Konrad would deal with Thor later.

Upon arrival at the farmhouse, Dieter watched Mariusz and Craig head off to recon the buildings. He followed his instructions, and took up the centre ground of the support team, making sure he was not too close to other team members. Looking for a good observation post, he took cover and used his rifle scope to scan the area. He checked each individual window on the buildings, as well as any holes in the roof, etc. Spotting nothing, he quietly radioed Craig.

"Lightning-5, this is Thunder-1. Area looks clear, but keep your eyes open. Will continue to monitor and will report any activity, hostile or friendly. Out."

Swapping to his borrowed image intensifiers for a better view, he continued to monitor the scene as he watched the pair enter the buildings. He also kept his eyes open for Thor, hoping that the lumbering idiot wouldn't do something else stupid.

Dieter Brandt
In cover, observing the farmhouse and surrounding area through image intensifiers
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio
Hunting Bow strapped to pack

This message was last edited by the player at 12:20, Mon 22 Mar 2010.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1676 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 22 Mar 2010
at 11:53
Re: The Farm
In reply to Dieter Brandt (msg #92):

Seeing that Dieter was carefully scanning the house, Dawid made his way over, keeping low.

"My friend, we have enough eyes on the house, including, er, Thor. Help us detect threats from the other directions? Either east or west down the road, or north across the fields."