Ch. 15: Warsaw (Part I)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Dieter Brandt
 player, 54 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Mon 22 Mar 2010
at 12:27
Re: The Farm
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #93):

OOC - have updated earlier post as I had mistakenly thought that Jan was on recon as well, which he isn't.

Dieter nodded in reply to Dawid's suggestion. Once the recon pair had moved into the building he moved position to a new spot facing west, where he had a clear view of the road and the surounding environment. With his rifle in easy reach beside him, he scanned the area with the image intensifiers, checking for anything interesting.

Dieter Brandt
In cover, looking west down the road through image intensifiers
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio
Hunting Bow strapped to pack

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 675 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 22 Mar 2010
at 12:37
Re: The Farm
Mariusz followed Sutherland, backing him up as he cleared the farmhouse.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1705 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 22 Mar 2010
at 23:50
Re: The Farm

Craig and Mariusz move through the two-story farmhouse from bottom to top and back again, carefully clearing each and every room along the way. The house is currently unoccupied and it looks like the former residents won't be back anytime soon. There are signs of a struggle downstairs. The front door- apparently reinforced by a heavy kitchen curio cabinet- has been kicked in, but not before someone peppered it with birdshot at eye level from the inside. There is some blood splatter on the floor in the foyer and drops leading back to the kitchen. In the kitchen, there is much more blood. The kitchen table is smeared with it. It has mostly congealed, suggesting that it is about a couple of days old. Although many of the owners' modest possessions have been strewed carelessly around the house, looting does not appear to have been the main objective of the intruders- useful items like blankets and clothing remain where they were tossed.

Outside the farm complex, you wait patiently in the cold. It starts to drizzle- a fine, almost freezing mist of small raindrops blown at an angle by the strengthening wind blowing in from the north. Darker clouds over the horizon suggest that this is just the beginning of a much stronger storm. The open fields surrounding the farm are clear and you occupy the only cover and concealment in the area. The lines of sight are good and it is unlikely that anyone would be able to sneak up on the farm without being observed by conscientious sentries.

It is mid-afternoon and you have been on the move since before dawn. The abandoned farmhouse offers immediate shelter and it is fairly well suited to all around defense.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:07, Tue 23 Mar 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 46 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Tue 23 Mar 2010
at 01:47
Re: The Farm
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #87):

Thors unmistakable butchering of the english language comes across the radio.
"Thunderer is position. Out."
No sign can be see of the fur clad nutter...
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 795 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 23 Mar 2010
at 02:14
Re: The Farm
Jan Cerny:
Jan kept himself hunkered down in cover, watching the farm house and its surrounding buildings.  He had laid the Steyr beside himself and was using his binoculars to try to pick out anything inconsistent in the apparently abandoned buildings ahead.

Though he didn't have much of an angle for it he also rather morbidly started looking for areas of recently dug earth, something that could indicate a reasonably fresh grave.

"If this place is abandoned then it might make for a good RV should we get split up," he muttered to anyone nearby.  "It also might be a good place to sleep tonight."

"Thinking you're right Jan.  Would be nice to sleep with a roof over our heads tonight.  Looks like it's got some good defensive possibilities," Tucker says to Jan as he lays next to him while the recon of the house goes on.

OOC: Sorry for the delay...
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1677 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 23 Mar 2010
at 05:26
Re: The Farm
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #96):

Although things seemed to be going well, Dawid was aware that the unexpected could happen. For example, their transport breaking down!

He made sure everyone was watching their assigned sectors, and pulled out his own binoculars to assist his own visual checks. In the mean time, he waited for orders or instructions.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 88 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 23 Mar 2010
at 05:42
Re: The Farm
Once the house is cleard as safe, Craig keys his radio. He then shakes Mariusz's hand for a job well done.

“Hailstorm, Lightning-5 objective is clear. Out.”

Craig momentarily stares at the blood on the kitchen table, before leaving the house to clear the surrounding outbuildings. He motions for Mariusz to join him, confident in the young Pole's abilities.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:30, Wed 24 Mar 2010.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 47 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Tue 23 Mar 2010
at 05:54
Re: The Farm
"Thunderer stay. Come in after all in. Over."
Jan Cerny
 player, 355 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 23 Mar 2010
at 14:19
Re: The Farm
Jan stayed in his hunkered down position covering Craig and Mariusz while they moved from the house to search the outbuildings.

"I'm guessing that there's no one home," he muttered to Tuck and anyone else beside him.  What that meant he wasn't certain but he suspected that it was bad news for the family who'd helped Craig.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 676 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 23 Mar 2010
at 16:54
Re: The Farm
Mariusz followed Sutherland to clear the outbuildings trying not to think about what might have happened here. It was just one of the thousands of little tragedies that played out in the war-torn country every day to contemplate the enormity of it all was to court madness.

Instead he did what soldiers always did in times of adversity, he focused on the job at hand and made sure his buddies were safe.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 796 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 00:09
Re: The Farm
Jan Cerny:
Jan stayed in his hunkered down position covering Craig and Mariusz while they moved from the house to search the outbuildings.

"I'm guessing that there's no one home," he muttered to Tuck and anyone else beside him.  What that meant he wasn't certain but he suspected that it was bad news for the family who'd helped Craig.

"I'm thinking the same thing Jan.  We would've seen or heard something if it was inhabitaed by now," Tucker says back to Jan who's liying next to him while Mariusz & Craig are clearing the structures.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 55 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 08:25
Re: The Farm
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Jan Cerny:
Jan stayed in his hunkered down position covering Craig and Mariusz while they moved from the house to search the outbuildings.

"I'm guessing that there's no one home," he muttered to Tuck and anyone else beside him.  What that meant he wasn't certain but he suspected that it was bad news for the family who'd helped Craig.

"I'm thinking the same thing Jan.  We would've seen or heard something if it was inhabitaed by now," Tucker says back to Jan who's liying next to him while Mariusz & Craig are clearing the structures.


Dieter looked over towards Jan and Tuck, and nodded in agreement. As they had suspected, the farmhouse appeared to be empty, and the fate of it's inhabitants was unknown, but probably not pleasant.

He then looked over at Dawid and Konrad, awaiting further orders. He was hoping that they would be instructed to get some rest, and use the farmhouse as a base. It was a solid enough looking building, capable of resisting small arms fire, so they should be able to defend it if attacked. It would certainly be more defensible than camping in the open.

If time allowed later, Dieter intended to go on a brief hunting trip, no more than an hour. He would look for rabbits, game birds, or maybe even a small deer. Hot, fresh food in the belly is always good for a soldier, and it would certainly help Dieter's standing in the group. He would ask Konrad for permission later once they had made camp.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1159 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 08:51
Re: The Farm
Bayer rises up off the cold ground and calls over to the rest of the patrol, "Up. We're heading in."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1679 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 10:43
Re: The Farm
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #106):

Upon hearing the order, Dawid got the remaining members of the support element organised to move out. "We are taking the rear. Coulter and Drew, before me, Dieter, you're last man in the file, check our back trail. If anyone is watching us, they may give themselves away if they have to change position." He slung the PKM GPMG around his shoulder, getting ready to follow the patrol in.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 56 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 10:55
Re: The Farm
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #107):

Dieter nodded to Dawid, and watched as the rest of the party moved into the farmhouse. He waited until all of the party had entered the building, and continued to scan the surrounding area, watching for anything unusual.

Assuming all is well, he will wait a few minutes and then radio in to Dawid. "Lightning 1 this is Thunder 1. All appears to be clear. No sign of Thunder 2, but I'm sure he's probably found a nice tree to sleep in. I'm coming in now. Out." He will then wait about another 30 seconds or so, and move quickly into the farmhouse.

Once in the building he will approach Dawid and Konrad, seeking permission to go hunting for game. If approved he will head off, and will also look to forage for fruits, vegetables and funghi as well.

OOC - if I go hunting I will take minimal kit - will detail in later post if I go.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 48 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 11:43
Re: The Farm
Dieter Brandt:
"Lightning 1 this is Thunder 1. All appears to be clear. No sign of Thunder 2, but I'm sure he's probably found a nice tree to sleep in. I'm coming in now. Out." He will then wait about another 30 seconds or so, and move quickly into the farmhouse.

"Bragi," Thor called over the radio where everyone could hear.
"You should not stand exposed so long. Enemy take twice long as Thor but still put bullet in head of Bragi."
"Out."

Jan Cerny
 player, 357 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 12:19
Re: The Farm
Having made his way into the farmhouse with the bulk of the squad, Jan started to double check the building himself, looking particularly for a cellar.  It was highly likely that Craig would have known if there was one hidden somewhere but there was always the possibility that the family had kept some things unknown to their guest.

Thor Halgeirsen:
"Bragi," Thor called over the radio where everyone could hear.
"You should not stand exposed so long. Enemy take twice long as Thor but still put bullet in head of Bragi."
"Out."


Hearing this comment across the radio Jan could not prevent himself from responding.

"Last speaker, this is Hailstorm Five," he transmitted while shaking his head.  "Firstly who is Bragi and secondly please try to remember to use correct radio procedure.  We have call signs for a reason and you're supposed to be a professional!  Out."

Having finished transmitting he continued to shake his head and muttered to himself.  "Dilettante."

He then sort out Konrad to have a quiet word with him prior to Thor arriving at the house.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:02, Wed 24 Mar 2010.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1708 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 22:47
Re: The Farm

Saturday, October 21st, 2000
1700 hrs.
40F
Thick overcast; light rain
Strong breeze from the N
Approximately 5km north of Minsk Mazowiekie, Poland



The support teams start moving towards the farm complex as Craig and Mariusz begin clearing its various outbuildings*. The scout/search search and clear the tractor and tool sheds, guest house, horse stable, pig pen, and greenhouse. Anything and everything of value, apart from few partially-ripened tomatoes in the greenhouse, appears to have been taken.

A quarter of an hour later, the entire recon team gathers in the farm's central courtyard. Light rain is falling.

*See the updated tac-map for details.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:32, Wed 24 Mar 2010.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 1 post
 American
 CIA direct action group
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 22:55
Re: The Farm

Woken by sound of the light rain falling against the remaining glass panes that still covered parts of the large greenhouse, Jeff watched cautiously as the two men approached the farmhouse. Jeff edged into the shadows beneath a tomato plant-covered table and quietly observed the men as they entered and searched the building, his suppressed pistol drawn but lowered. Fortunately, the two men did not detect his presence and he was not forced to dispatch them (or die trying).

A few minutes later, after hearing the group gathering outside in the courtyard speaking English, Jeff takes a calculated gamble. He grabs his AK and shouts out "USA FRIENDLY!".  Staying in the shadows where he is unseen, he keeps his rifle raised but not aimed at the group, before shouting again, "USA FRIENDLY!  Start talking or I start shooting. You're too quiet to be with the Baron, so who are you?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:32, Wed 24 Mar 2010.

Jan Cerny
 player, 358 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 23:33
Re: The Farm
At the shout Jan dropped to a crouch and aimed his Steyr at the new arrival.

"Come out of the shadows and show yourself!" he commanded in accented English.  Jan had seen the dried blood in the farmhouse kitchen so his initial concern was that this man might well be involved in whatever had happened here.  It was doubtful though that any people involved would still be hanging around but caution was called for initially.

Maybe this farm wasn't a good place to set up base though.  It seemed to attract a lot of attention!
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 797 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 24 Mar 2010
at 23:45
Re: The Farm
Jan Cerny:
At the shout Jan dropped to a crouch and aimed his Steyr at the new arrival.

"Come out of the shadows and show yourself!" he commanded in accented English.  Jan had seen the dried blood in the farmhouse kitchen so his initial concern was that this man might well be involved in whatever had happened here.  It was doubtful though that any people involved would still be hanging around but caution was called for initially.

Tucker brought his rifle up to a high ready and listened to what this person who suddenly appeared out of nowhere.  "Looks like we need to work on room and building clearing when we get back.  How the fuck did we miss him unless the wall shit him out!"
Steven Drew
 player, 212 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 04:16
Re: The Farm
Drew is tired at the grabassery.  He hefts his M240 and turns in the direction shouting,

"We're in the open, so ya wanna talk step up. Remember, you start shooting and we start....its too late for fuckin games so nut up or shut up."
  Drew is cold, tired, hungry and now getting wet, so he has seen better moods and is not about take any shit from Eurotrash or deserters.

Sgt Drew
M240
Pissed off and in a general hostile mood

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 2 posts
 Unknown
 Unknown
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 05:08
Re: The Farm
There is no discernible movement from the window.  However, out from the shadows of the doorway emerges a figure, who stands just outside the doorway.  It is clearly a Russian Soldier, dressed completely in the Flora pattern found on better equipped troops.  His patrol cap is pulled low over his eyes, and a coyote brown bandanna extends above his nose, so that his eyes are barely visible.  The man has a large black AK rifle, with a foregrip and an odd looking black scope slung across his Soviet style body armor and combat webbing.  There is some form of pistol holster on his hip, but it is unclear the type concealed.

A moment passes in the rain before the Russian says, "Who is your leader?".  The answer comes in crystal clear American English, with no discernible accent.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:13, Thu 25 Mar 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 213 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 05:41
Re: The Farm
In reply to Jeff D. Warren (msg #116):

"Well, I guess Ivan isn't yer name.  And if you were a badguy you'd of opened up on us already.  So, ya wanna invite us in outa the rain like a good neighbor before it really starts ta piss all over us."


  As Drew faces the man his M240 sling at his waiste, muzzle in the general direction of the stranger.

Sgt Drew
 M240
Talking

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 3 posts
 Unknown
 Unknown
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 06:15
Re: The Farm
"Да, но как же мне знать, если вы хорошо это или плохо?"  His Russian flows just as easily as his English, and could be traced to the area around St. Petersburg.

Back in English, he responds to the Marine with a shrug of his shoulders.  "Feel free to use the farmhouse.  Since you're likely the one's responsible for the mess inside, I won't stop you from hiding the evidence."

Observing the group, he takes note of the German Captain's insignia, and asks "Ist der Hauptmann verantwortlich?"  However it is obvious that his German is not nearly as good as his Russian or English.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:16, Thu 25 Mar 2010.