Ch. 15: Warsaw (Part I)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1681 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 06:25
Re: The Farm
In reply to Steven Drew (msg #117):

After rejoining with Mariusz, Dawid made sure the MG group was supporting the clearing of the sad abandoned farm.

When the new person showed up, he resisted joining in the interaction as Drew seemed to have it under control. Instead, he made sure he, Mariusz and Dieter (for now) were covering the opposite direction. Technically he wasn't Dieter's team leader but there seemed to be some... issues with Thor, and they would just make the most of the situation until things could be clarified.

"Mariusz, Dieter, let's make sure we have our flanks and rear covered while others deal with this maniac. Or whoever. Even if he's not hostile, there are still plenty of folks around here who are!"

From what he could see the man looked like a Soviet but spoke like an American. He heard some Spetzsnaz could pass for yankees in order to infiltrate NATO lines. Somehow he doubted this, more likely this was yet another NATO straggler who had donned a Russian uniform and kit in order to blend in better.

If that were the case, someone should have told this fellow the Russian border was quite a long distance away, and the Poles weren't feeling too friendly towards their former patrons/masters!
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1160 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 08:40
Re: The Farm
"Responsible enough not to challenge a large group of unknown, armed men in the dark, while hiding in a greenhouse... unless I needed something." Bayer replies in English.

His rifle was still slung, and his hands gripped around the shoulder straps of his rucksack to take off some of the weight. There was enough firepower around him as it was that he decided not to arm himself.

Nodding towards the greenhouse, Bayer says dryly to the man, "I'm coming in. And my men here will go where they want here as they are not going to be the first to cause any trouble. It's raining anyways."

"You wouldn't have started this if you didn't want to talk. I'm coming in."

"That's how it is."


Bayer will then drop his ruck and step towards the greenhouse with his hands down by his sides.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 4 posts
 Unknown
 Unknown
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 15:07
Re: The Farm
"Gentlemen, I mean you no disrespect.  It is just in these times, all newcomers must be treated with skepticism.  Now if I could just have a quick word with the Captain.  As a token of faith, I will follow you to where you wish to talk, but it will be in private."

He will then follow Bayer to the location of his choice to talk, even if it's right where they are standing.  Warren will speak in a low tone, so that only Bayer hears it:

This message was last edited by the player at 15:14, Thu 25 Mar 2010.

Dieter Brandt
 player, 57 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 18:15
Re: The Farm
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Mariusz, Dieter, let's make sure we have our flanks and rear covered while others deal with this maniac. Or whoever. Even if he's not hostile, there are still plenty of folks around here who are!"


Seeing the newcomer, Dieter was surprised that Sutherland hadn't spotted him when checking out the buildings, although how any of us missed a man hiding in a building made of glass is a bit of a concern. However, he decided against saying anything at this time.

Hearing Dawid's instruction, and considering the worsening weather, he guessed hunting was off the agenda today. Maybe another time. Looking at Mariusz, he said, "Mariusz, let's find a good spot out of the rain where we can set up an observation post. Follow me."

[Assuming Mariusz is happy to follow] With that he headed off towards the main farmhouse building, looking for some upstairs rooms with windows that provide a good arc of fire and a good view of the surrounding area. Once a suitable location had been found he positioned Mariusz to cover the South and East, whle taking a position to cover the North and West. He knew that they couldn't cover all eventualities, but should be able to identify any troop movements or vehicles in the area. If Mariusz has no binoculars etc. he will lend him the image intensifiers, and will keep watch himself with his rifle scope.



Once in position, he radioed back to Dawid, "Lightning 1 this is Thunder 1. We have set up OPs in the farmhouse and have a good view of the surrounding area. Will report any movements. Out."

With that he settled in to sentry duty.

Dieter Brandt
In farmhouse on highest available floor, observing surrounding area to North & West
PSG-1 (20/20)
1xFrag, 2xSmoke
x25 Image Intensifiers, PRC-77 Manpack Radio
Hunting Bow strapped to pack

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 677 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 25 Mar 2010
at 18:39
Re: The Farm
"OK," Mariusz said, "let's go."

He followed the man to the vantage point he selected and then took the proffered image intensifiers from him. He was impressed again at the quality of Western optics, it was almost unfair.

He settled down as far out of the wind as he could and started to observe the land around him.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 50 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Fri 26 Mar 2010
at 02:38
Re: The Farm
Jan Cerny:
"Last speaker, this is Hailstorm Five,"
"Firstly who is Bragi and secondly please try to remember to use correct radio procedure.  We have call signs for a reason and you're supposed to be a professional!  Out."

"Jean, is Thunderer," the disembodied and slightly bewildered voice drifted across the airways.
"Bragi Haptabeiđirsen, brother of Thor, husband of Iđunn. He carry bow. Who else would be it?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1682 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 26 Mar 2010
at 03:20
Re: The Farm
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #123):

Dawid looked over at Dieter, then Mariusz. He nodded, giving his blessing.

"Sure, you may go with Dieter. Leave the ammunition here."
He added some instructions, so they would understand what was expected of them.

"Leave the ammunition. Dieter, you two cover the road, east and west, and to the north. I'll cover south. Don't get distracted, cover your sectors. Not that you won't, of course."

"Also, in addition to taking my assistant gunner, you may consider talking to Thor, getting taht problem dealt with. He's going to be with us for a while, I think, and someone has to bring him under control, yes?"


Sighing, he shrugged a little deeper into his coat, to fend off the cold drizzle.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:55, Fri 26 Mar 2010.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 89 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 26 Mar 2010
at 06:43
Re: The Farm

Craig was not surprised he had missed the stranger in the green house, his mind was not on the job. He stood with his AKU at the ready across his chest as the Captain and the new guy talked.
Jan Cerny
 player, 360 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 26 Mar 2010
at 09:21
Re: The Farm
Thor Halgeirsen:
"Jean, is Thunderer," the disembodied and slightly bewildered voice drifted across the airways.
"Bragi Haptabeiđirsen, brother of Thor, husband of Iđunn. He carry bow. Who else would be it?"


Jan ignored the radio transmission from Thor and stayed in his kneeling posting, keeping his rifle aimed at the new arrival.  Konrad seemed to be calm about the situation and happy talking to the unnamed man but Jan valued Konrad as his leader so he kept his rifle aimed until given the ok by the Capitaine.

He wasn't taking any chances.
Dieter Brandt
 player, 59 posts
 Gefreiter/Scharfschutze
 6th Panzergrenadier Div.
Fri 26 Mar 2010
at 11:54
Re: The Farm
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Also, in addition to taking my assistant gunner, you may consider talking to Thor, getting taht problem dealt with. He's going to be with us for a while, I think, and someone has to bring him under control, yes?"</Blue>


Dieter looks distainfully at Dawid before taking up his cover position, pointedly ignoring the request to reign in Thor. If someone else wanted to try and control him they were welcome to try, but Dieter planned to stay as far away from him as was humanly possible.
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 51 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Fri 26 Mar 2010
at 13:17
Re: The Farm
Thor seemingly appeared out of nowhere, materialising from the shadows, a brace of freshly killed rabbits in hand and Mjollnir in the other. His furs were more covered than usual in mud and local foliage, a sure sign he'd crawled through some of the worst the local terrain had to offer.

He squinted for a moment at the new face, placing his own just inches away as he examined every detail. Then, slowly and carefully he took a step backward before declaring with great seriousness, "He is Huldrekall."
"No be to trusted. Safe for now, no women."

"Come,"
he continued, this time speaking to the new man instead of about him.
"Shelter. Food."
The two rabbits were waved towards the guest house.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1685 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 26 Mar 2010
at 14:40
Re: The Farm
In reply to Dieter Brandt (msg #128):

Meeting Dieter's eyes, Dawid returned the disdainful look with a snort of derision. He decided against a pithy remark or other parting shot.

Instead, when Thor returned, he called him over. "Thor, come here, please. We need to talk."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1161 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 26 Mar 2010
at 15:02
Re: The Farm
Inside the greenhouse Bayer listens and to Warren. After a few moments he exits and recovers his rucksack. "We're staying here tonight." he announces, with a nod to Sutherland.

After learning that Dieter and Dawid already begun on hide security, he acknowledges, "Good. Work out a sentry rotation roster for the night as well as a challenge and reply. I'll confirm the positions later."

Bayer then adds, "This is Mr. Warren. An American, who is here for partly the same reason we are. He'll stay with us for the night."

He then motions for the Warren to follow him into the main house. Over his shoulder he adds to the team, "Q and A period to start soon. I'll give a briefing once we settle in and security is up."
Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 52 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 04:09
Re: The Farm
Handing the two recently deceased rabbits to whoever was closer, Thor moved to join Dawid.
"Yes my kamerat?
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 7 posts
 American
 Unknown
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 05:47
Re: The Farm


As the two men exit the greenhouse, Warren suddenly finds himself accosted by a large bear.  As it rapidly approaches carrying a pair of bloody rabbits and an M82 in one hand, Warren is unsure whether to throw up from the stench, or draw his pistol out of self defense.  As they come face to face, Warren keeps his hand lightly resting on the grip of his pistol, and stifles a gag.  He is slightly relieved as he backs off, and is slightly amused by the man's comment.  He is surely dangerous, but his stealth skills, if not eccentric, could give Warren a run for his money.

As the bear is pulled aside by one of the Captain's men, Warren follows Bayer into the farmhouse.  Those inside catch the tail end of his conversation with the Captain. ...reaches friendly lines in the northwest, and you are with us, my superiors will have much they can offer you.  Money, hot food and showers, even a ride home if you're lucky enough."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1686 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 14:08
Re: The Farm
In reply to Thor Halgeirsen (msg #132):

Dawid nodded his thanks.

"I will keep this simple."

"My friend, because of the way you talk, and the way you have acted when meeting the man at the village of Minsk Mazowiekie, your talk on the radio, they way you treat Bragi, I mean, Dieter..."


He paused, looking sincere and concerned.

"Look... people think you are either crazy or a childish fool. Either settle down and follow Dieter's orders, or you will be asked to leave, perhaps to stay here where it's safe until we return."

"I am sorry if this was never explained to you or made clear, I take that responsibility. But you must choose if our paths separate here or not, my friend. I don't want to see you go and I think you are a brave warrior. But you are not the only warrior here and you cannot do what you feel like."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:41, Sat 27 Mar 2010.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 1712 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 16:46
The Horsemen

Saturday, October 21st, 2000
1745 hrs.
39F
Thick overcast; light rain
Strong breeze from the N
Approximately 5km north of Minsk Mazowiekie, Poland



Dieter and Mariusz have just set up watch in an upstairs room of the main farmhouse when they spot what appears to be a large group of horsemen approaching the farm from across the fields to the north-northwest. The steady light rain slightly reduces the clarity of the picture they see through their optics but it appears that 30 mounted men are so are on their way towards the farm. The main body of horsemen rides down the center with small groups of outriders about 100m out on either flank. The entire group is approaching at a steady trot and are currently about 450m out.

The rest of you are either in the courtyard or on your way to the farmhouse. It's grown darker in the last hour. Sunset is less than an hour away.

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:51, Sat 27 Mar 2010.

Steven Drew
 player, 215 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 19:40
Re: The Horsemen

  When the alert of the unknown horsemen is given Drew turns to look through the rain to study the threat.

  "We can't stay here tonight."  He adds.

  "We'd better disapear into the woods unless we want a bloody shootout.  They probably know about this place and plan on stayin here tanight.  I say we let em have it.  We can watch em and find out who they are.  Maybe hit em in the morning as they sadle up if we have to.  What ya all say?"

  Drew stands, hands on his weapon waiting for what the others in his unit want to do.

Sgt Drew
M240
Waiting to hear what everyone else wants to do.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 678 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 20:09
Re: The Horsemen
Mariusz said to Sutherland, "Keep an eye on them, I'll alert the others."

He slid down from the OP and rushed to Bayer, "Kaptain, horsemen to the Northnorthwest, there are approximately thirty of them, a main group and two flanking groups. They were about half a kilometer away when we spotted them."

He listened to Drew's assessment and said, "That's a wise choice although I don't know if the terrain will allow us to withdraw undetected, the only cover in a seven hundred meter radius is the sunken lane an that patch of trees. We could get caught in the open. If it's feasible however, I'd agree with Drew's suggestion."
Jan Cerny
 player, 361 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 20:27
Re: The Horsemen
Jan turned to Mariusz's and listened in to his report to Konrad.  A stand up battle with 30 horsemen wasn’t what they needed at this precise moment and 30 horsemen sounded like a military patrol rather than something more innocent!

"I agree with withdrawing.  We need to avoid contact wherever possible."  As he spoke he took the opportunity to return Mariusz’s Tantal to him and retrieved his PM-84, quickly removing the silencer and attaching the SMG to the side of his ALICE pack again while stowing the silencer in one of the pockets of the pack.

“We should head South East as quickly as possible and hope to be in cover before they have any lookouts able to see that side of the farm.”
Craig Sutherland
 player, 90 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 20:31
Re: The Horsemen


Climbing over the threshold into the farm house Craig get a sense something evil happen here. If he was able to he would find out what.

As the sentries call out the warning of the approaching men Craig grabs his pack and sprints to the second level, he takes a position at one of the windows facing the threat. Seeing members of the team still standing in the court yard he yells

”GET INSIDE AND AWAIT FURTHER ORDERS.”

Then on the radio to warn everyone.

"Hailstorm, Lightning, Thunder - Lightning 5. 30 riders approaching from the Northwest, believe they are hostile. Take defensive positions, stow exposed gear they may not have spotted us, let them in close, out."

It was to late to leave they would be ridden down in the snow.

He moves any large piece's of furniture into the centre of the room using any mattresses for side protection. Grabbing a chair Craig puts his AKS onto the table as he takes three FRAG grenades off his vest to have them close at hand.

AKS-47U (45/45) + 5 spare magazines
Browning HP (20/20) w/ silencer + 2 spare magazines
RPG-7D Grenade Launcher, PG-7N HEAT Grenade x 4
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 6, Smoke Grenade
E-108 Thermite Grenade x 2, RKG-3 AT Grenade x2
No.80 WP grenade, L13A2 CS grenade
UK/PRC-349 VHF/FM transceiver Radio - ear piece
ON1x20/IR "Nighthawk" NVGs
Fire Support Element
Preparing position

This message was last edited by the player at 03:07, Sun 28 Mar 2010.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 8 posts
 American
 Unknown
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 22:33
Re: The Horsemen
Jeff stands calmly off to the side as the others scramble around him. He says to no one in particular, "Thirty? We got more of them than I thought. There used to be about a company of them, but my men and I  killed most of them when they tried to assault us at night. Would have held if it wasn't for that damn mortar.  After we broke contact, I spent the past two days E&E'ing them, although I picked a few more off when they got too close." he gives his AK a quick once over.  "They're with the baron, no doubt. They came for the prisoner we took.  I lost several good men to them. I say we stay and fight. Kill them all, and send the Baron a message.  Spread fear in his ranks, until the 10th is here."

He waits until an order is given. If they leave, he will shoulder his pack and radio, and move out towards the rear of the column. If they stay, he will take up a position back from a window, and take aim at a group of soldiers.


Jeff Warren
Following 'orders'
AK-103 w/POSP4x24 [30/30]
SIG P220 [holstered]
3 RGO Frag Grenades
3 SOV HC smoke grenades
Assorted personal gear

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 1687 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 00:46
Re: The Horsemen
Dawid was dug in covering the south away from the road, and decided to hold his position as he wasn't visible from that direction.


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM GPMG
South side of the farm, dug in.
Covering the southern approaches

Steven Drew
 player, 216 posts
 Sergeant
 USMC
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 02:52
Re: The Horsemen

  Drew shakes his head as he shoulders his pack and looks for a good defensive position that allows him a good field of fire with his M240.

  He mutters,

"They're tryin ta get me killed.  Thats it! That's gotta be it.  They wanna make sure I get killed!"

Sgt Drew
M240
Looking for a good position

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 53 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 04:51
Re: The Horsemen
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #134):

Thor placed his free arm around Dawid's shoulders.
"Not childish, maybe little crazy," he shrugged.
"Midgard not as Thor remember," he looked sad. "Even Mjöllnir not same, not proper hammer."
He brightened.
"Still good. Still kill giganten."

The alert caught him by surprise. He'd not seen any sign of approaching anything before catching the rabbits and coming in, but the weather wasn't exactly great for long range observation.
Releasing Dawid's shoulders, he followed his Polish kamerat to cover, picking a slightly different area to cover with Mjöllnir.