Ch 15: Warsaw (Part II)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2216 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 14 Jan 2011
at 13:59
Re: Crossroads
Cap'n Rae:
When the village is declared secure, the party risks a measured lapse in light discipline in order to determine the BTR's condition. Vita [NPCed] crawls under the BTR with her flashlight and starts poking around. The prognosis is hopeful, but uncertain.

"Brakes is dead. Uh, brake oil is gone. No pressure. Steering is bad too. I cannot fix without the right kind of oil. Not oil, but... I don't know what is called in English. I can't fix. The engine is OK, though. I think it work in morning but not sure. Depend on battery. We shall see, eh? This thing is, er, how do you say- piece of shit."


He asked her about the BTR in the morning, after setting up a 360 degree perimeter guard. "Sorry, I was a little too tired last night to function as I should. Ah, I speak Polish like a native, what is it we'll need? Brake fluid?" Dawid also checked to see if the turret could be made functional again, perhaps with one of their machineguns replacing the destroyed KPVT.

After asking Mariusz to make breakfast, Dawid passed on the preliminary information to Konrad. "Sir, the brakes are gone, steering is bad. If she starts we can probably go... slowly."
Monika Sawicki
 player, 53 posts
 Polish
 Medic
Fri 14 Jan 2011
at 15:02
Re: Crossroads
    Monika spent what was left of the night huddled in a corner.  She had put on another set of thermal fatigues to try to keep warm.  It wasn't much, but it helped her to get a bit of badly needed sleep.

    After her turn on guard, she decided to just stay up.  Monika doubted that she could have gotten back to sleep.  Against her better judgment, but having no other alternative, she found a place to relieve the biologic urges which had been bothering her since she had been awakened for sentry duty.  Before she rejoined the others, Monika also treated herself to a breakfast of some crackers and jam from her dwindling stash of food.  She was very careful to clean up all of the traces that she had eaten.  She rationalized that although her new companions seemed to be professional enough, they were still strangers and food was food.

    When the rest of the group was awake, she sought out the Commander.  Using her halting English, she began to speak.  "Night long, all tired."  She searched for the English words to say what she wanted, but they had escaped her.  She had considered using one of the others to translate, but what she had to say was only for the Leader's ears. "Next night..."  Then, she had an idea.

    First Monika held one half closed hand with her thumb up, as she made a twisting motion with her other hand over the first one.  Next, she held her right hand palm up while she made small vertical shaking motions with her partly closed left hand held palm down.  Monika touched her left thumb and index finger to her right palm, then touched the tips of her left thumb and index finger to her lips.  Finally, she used her thumbs and index fingers to hold her eyes open really wide.  Monika then lowered her hands and waited expectantly for a reply.
Jan Cerny
 player, 819 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 14 Jan 2011
at 17:12
Re: Crossroads
Before getting any sleep Jan roped someone, probably Minh, into helping his change his jacket.  It was an awkward job with his wounded arm but he had found himself a replacement, the black winter Polish tanker's jacket with fur lining that he had stripped of the original driver of the BTR, and so he put it on.  It was cold though so he put the Red Army winter field jacket he’d taken off Jared back on over the top, even though the left sleeve was ripped.  It was bulky but warm and would help keep out the cold at night!

Now suitably dressed he got as much sleep as he could but was up at 5am for his sentry duty.



Once everyone was awake and sorting things out Jan took a few moments to organise his gear.  There were several items he was carrying that he didn’t want and were only adding to the weight he was hauling around in his backpack.  Firstly he went to find Monika and offered her a spare gas mask, one that had originally belonged to Ondar.

“I know that this is a little late,” he commented to Monika in Polish, “but this is spare if you want it!”

He also dropped a couple of other items in the back of the BTR (or wherever the gear that was in the BTR had been unloaded to).  There was Ondar’s webbing, that had had several pouches removed and just had two empty ammo pouches and an empty medical pouch left, and Ondar’s radio, a Soviet R-143 Secure manpack radio that had an almost dead battery.

“If anyone wants either of those then they’re welcome to them,” he commented to those nearby in English.

Jan then found a corner and started cleaning his various firearms, particularly the AKS-74 he had recently acquired.  Once it was clean though he stowed it unloaded in his backpack.  As he cleaned his weapons he kept an eye out for Maurisz or whoever was preparing some food.

“Do we have enough food for everyone to get something to eat?” he asked.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:45, Fri 14 Jan 2011.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1337 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 14 Jan 2011
at 17:34
Re: Crossroads
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
Dawid passed on the preliminary information to Konrad. "Sir, the brakes are gone, steering is bad. If she starts we can probably go... slowly."


"Slowly will do." Bayer replies, privately pleased with the prospects of the ride over walking. "This morning I want us to continue on to ahh... Zegrze Poludniowe, to investigate the bridge there as a potential crossing point for the 10th to get over the Narew River."

"We leave in ten." he adds, this time louder so everyone around him is made aware. "The sooner we get there the sooner we can deal with whatever situation awaits us - or even rest if everything is in hand."

Bayer then visits Mariusz, and waits until everyone else had taken some food before finally seizing his share of the rations. As he hurriedly chows down, he watches Sawiki's hands closely. When the silent drama was finished, he quietly interprets the mimicry, "Medicine... drugs? You have drugs? To keep people awake?"

As he waits for a confirmation, he imagines the return to Warsaw with everyone transformed into crazed, amphetimine addicted junkies. Holding out his hand, he asks, "Please. Show me."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:35, Fri 14 Jan 2011.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 856 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 14 Jan 2011
at 18:41
Re: Crossroads
Mariusz felt like screaming and yelling and throwing things, people needed feeding and he had nothing to work with. He damned teh Baron for his barbarity and callousness of pushing teh unit to a place where they didn't even have any cooking facilities.

His mood wavering between the murderous and the suicidal he cut the hard black bread into bitesize pieces and soaked them in the luke warm potatoe soup. He doled out the thickened soup along with a sliver of black bread with oily canned fish spread on top, he smiled at Thor as he shuffled past for the food, "Smorgansbord." he said. He also pointed at the blood-soaked bread he'd found, "There's more bread there if you want to salvage some."

He also laid out the thermoses of coffee and beer for the team before reserving the last of the uncontaminated black bread, the canned fish and fruit and vegetables as an emergency reserve.
Jan Cerny
 player, 821 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 14 Jan 2011
at 19:57
Re: Crossroads
Jan ate the food Mariusz had put together and kept the three MRE rations he had found in Ondar's backpack for another time.  Thoroughly reorganised he waited for the signal to move off!
Monika Sawicki
 player, 55 posts
 Polish
 Medic
Fri 14 Jan 2011
at 22:38
Re: Crossroads
    At the Captain's request, Monika reached into her backpack and located a small bottle.  When she held it out to show the Commander, he could see that it was a one hundred unit bottle of mild stimulant tablets with the factory seal still intact.  She stumbled over the words that Captain Bayer had used, trying to repeat them.  "Me..da...cine... droogs...  awake"  Monika smiled, pleased that she was improving her communication skills.  "Medacine good."  She pointed to herself.  "Medic good."

------------------------------------------------

     Monika looked at the offered container from Jan.  She looked over her own webbing and located a pouch that looked identical to the one in his hand.  She opened her pouch to discover that she already owned a protective mask.  She replied to him in Polish, "This might sound strange, but I did not know that I had a mask.  This is not my issued harness.  Thank you for the offer."

------------------------------------------------

     The potato soup and the bread with fish spread were wonderful.  Monika ate every gram that she was served.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2122 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 15 Jan 2011
at 00:07
Re: Crossroads
Jeff D. Warren:
Once the party is up and about, Jeff climbs up on top of the building for another radio call-in.


"Renegade, Salesman. I was hoping you'd be calling in from the objective right now. Shit! I hope you slept well, you lazy bastard.

"Huff. No use bitching about it now. We're in a bit of a pickle at the moment. I sent the rest of the recon platoon up the Wyszkowska road during the night to make sure it's ambush-free. They made it all the way down to the Narew river crossing north-east of Serock. They're reporting that they can't get across the river there because- get this, man- 'the drawbridge is up'. A fucking drawbridge, Renegade! The recon platoon is having no luck talking to the folks that run it. They probably think we're a bunch of ex-Red Army marauders or something.

"You've got some good clean Polish friends with you, right? Unless we can talk the locals into letting us cross their bridge, we're going to have a hard time linking up with you without having to double back 30 klicks or fight through some more of this Black Baron's goons at Radzymin. I'd rather not do either right now. You need to get your ass up here to Serock as quickly as possible. Convince the militia there that we're good guys just passing through on our way to the Vistula west of Warsaw. Suck a few cocks, if you have to. Just get us passage over that bridge. Salesman OUT."

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:15, Sat 15 Jan 2011.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 291 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 15 Jan 2011
at 00:57
Re: Crossroads

Craig took a seat with the others and gracelessly accepted the offered food. Once he had finished he begins to rummage around in one of the side pouches on his PLCE, withdrawing a card and plastic pack. Along the front of the card are the words: “Duracell AA Rechargeable”.

“I have these, I think there are about seven left. They should fit the NATO NVG's, maybe even the Russian ones to.”

He then offers them up to the group ”We also have the NATO set of NVG's from that dick who messed up the MG”.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:09, Sat 15 Jan 2011.

Jan Cerny
 player, 823 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 15 Jan 2011
at 08:06
Re: Crossroads
Monika Sawicki:
     Monika looked at the offered container from Jan.  She looked over her own webbing and located a pouch that looked identical to the one in his hand.  She opened her pouch to discover that she already owned a protective mask.  She replied to him in Polish, "This might sound strange, but I did not know that I had a mask.  This is not my issued harness.  Thank you for the offer."


Jan laughed in amusement at Monika's comment, the first time he'd laughed in several days, and gave her a big grin.  "Well if you need someone to show you gas mask drills then let me know," he replied through his smile, attempting to be sensible and serious.

Feeling a lot better with the world Jan then continued preparing his gear for travel.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 181 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Sat 15 Jan 2011
at 08:16
Re: Crossroads
After first scanning his surroundings again, Jeff hops off the rooftop and approaches the group.  He helps himself to some food, and then addresses the group at large.

"Good news and bad news.

Recon elements from 'my friends' have reached the river up ahead, stopping at the bridge NE of Serock.  The Main element won't be too far behind.  Then we can liberate your capital city.

The bad news.  Apparently the bridge in question is a drawbridge, raised in fact.  The poles in the village there aren't fond on the idea of lowering it for a bunch of foreigners.  So we need one of you esteemed Polish natives to sweet talk them into lowering the bridge for our mutual friends.

I don't think my boss wants to waste ammo on them.  However I do need to stress that time is of the essence, so don't consider it out of the question if we do not hurry."


Although the polish defectors had proven their worth, they didn't quite need to know all of the details.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:21, Sat 15 Jan 2011.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2218 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 15 Jan 2011
at 12:38
Re: Crossroads
In reply to Monika Sawicki (msg #659):

Dawid smiled at Monika's pantomime, obviously amused. "It's probably better for them, you know, to learn Polish than for you to learn English!"

He answered Jan's comments about the batteries. "I specifically had Tio looking after the radio. Unless it couldn't be salvaged or there was no room, he should have known to get the hand-cranked generator to use. If not, or he was completely fucking pants-on-head retarded and forgot for some reason, the BTR's engine will recharge it. There should be electrical leads in the hull to hook up the batteries. If not, I'll see if I can fix something up."

When going over the engine, Dawid will set up a battery recharger using the engine alternator.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2124 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 15 Jan 2011
at 18:30
Riverside

The group polices up its camp site and enjoys a cold breakfast, consuming the remainder of the captured food stores. No one gets as much as they'd like, but it beats an empty belly. The Weasel AFV is a lost cause. It must have been there, partially burried in rubble, for at least two or three years, and the elements have taken their toll. The engine hatch is rusted shut. Thor succeeds in forcing it open, finding, to his surprise, a nest of mice bedded down inside. He can tell immediately that there is nothing there worth salvaging. He gently lowers the hatch and moves on.

Dawid says a quick, silent prayer over the beat-up BTR before climbing back into the driver's compartment. While most of the rest of the group looks on, Dawid cranks the APC's ignition switches. Nothing. Again. Still nothing. One more time. The undamaged engine utters a loud cough and sputters to life, a cloud of thick black smoke spweing out of the exhaust pipe. The engine grumbles as Dawid applies a little more gas, before settling down to a steady, low growl. Gratefully, the rest of the group clambers aboard, squeezing inside the troop compartment or huddling together on the roof. It looks like a third-world bus. All it's missing is a couple of chicken coops.

Dawid backs out of the alley and pulls back on to the road, moving towards the intersection and taking the fork leading north towards the objective.

The sun continues to rise, bright and warm. The bitter chill of night is soon forgotten. Visibility is excellent. Dawid feels confident pushing the BTR a little, getting it up to about 20kph on the laser-straight road. Everyone topside keeps their eyes open for signs of ambush. They know that they are practically sitting ducks. Without brakes or a main gun, the BTR doesn't make much of a fighting vehicle and the open road offers little in the way of cover. An experienced, well armed squad could probably wipe them all out within a matter of minutes. Fortunately, the group encounters no opposition along the way. In less than an hour, they reach the outskirts of Segrze Poludniowe.

The village, like most you've come across within a couple of miles of Warsaw, is in pretty bad shape. There was clearly some fierce fighting here, probably contesting the bridge over the Narew river. There's no obvious signs of habitation. Most of the party dismounts from the BTR and spreads out ahead, on either side of the road, as the group advances towards the river crossing.

The river is off to your right, separated from the road by a single line of battered buildings. The village is a little more built-up on the left. The road takes a little jog to the right as it approaches the crossing. You move up cautiously, taking your time to make sure that you are not walking into an ambush. You emerge into an open area, about 200m from the riverbank. Finally, you can see the crossing, or what is left of it, rather. The bridge is gone. Two ancient looking piers tower above the placid water close to the opposite bank but that's it. You do, however, notice a few thin trails of smoke from across the river. It looks like the product of hearth fires. It appears that north bank Segrze is occupied. As you ponder your situation, a voice calls out from somewhere to your left.

"What the fuck are you doing here? You know you shits aren't supposed to come around any more."

You look towards the sound of the voice. There's a building about 75m off the road that looks like some giant creature took a large bite out of its sloping red tile roof. From the gap in the center, a rosy-cheeked face visage out from beneath a floppy grey balaclava. What looks like the barrel of a gun is propped on a cockeyed tile just below the youthful face. The voice and the face both suggest that the person accosting you is probably not much older than 15 or so.

"Don't do anything stupid. My sister could shoot the pecker off a squirrel at 200 meters and she's a lot closer than that. Now tell me why the hell you are here and be quick about it."

You're in the open, without much it the way of cover. About 100m or so to your right are the remains of an empty marina.


Next Moves?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...56,0.016469&z=17

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:14, Sat 15 Jan 2011.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1338 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 16 Jan 2011
at 03:06
Re: Crossroads
Sitting in the commander's seat, Bayer says quietly, "Everyone keep still... don't do anything that might startle who is here." That said, he maintained a firm grip around his weapon and expected the others to do the same.

Bayer then says, "Dawid stay here. I want you behind the wheel the whole time in case this gets problematic." Then turning in his seat he says, "Mariusz... tell Sawiki that I want her to make herself seen through the roof hatch. I want her to negotiate for us a civil meeting with the locals on the grounds that we are not from the Baron and only want to get across the river and on our way."

As Mariusz is about to translates, Bayer adds, "Don't push it though. We don't need trouble. If they won't budge then we try at the next crossing to the west."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:17, Sun 16 Jan 2011.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 292 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 16 Jan 2011
at 03:28
Re: Crossroads

Pulling himself back up onto the BTR, Craig nearly slipped on the rusted and dew coated handholds. He settled himself back in the same position as the night before and griped the RPK as the APC rumbled into life. That the BTR was able to be turned over was a relief with his leg the way it was he wasn't looking forward to the walk.

The next hour was very pleasant, the last of the cold seem to leave Craig the higher the sun rose. When the team dismounted as they came close to the objective Craig stayed on the BTR to provide slightly elevated covering fire if it was needed. At the shouted commands Craig scans the surrounding buildings, when he spots the youth he centres his aim on the boys chest and then begins looking for the sister.

He also gave a cursory scan of the marina to see if anything was afloat.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:11, Sun 16 Jan 2011.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 321 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Sun 16 Jan 2011
at 03:33
Re: Crossroads
Thor slowly raised a gloved hand to stifle a yawn. He had no fear of shots being fired and felt that any offensive, even sudden movement would endanger them all.
"Put down," he spoke from behind his hand.
"All good."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2222 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 16 Jan 2011
at 09:22
Re: Crossroads
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #666):

"Understood, Kapitan."

He turned and looked in the back, making sure everyone was braced.

"Just to let everyone know, I'm going to, ah, continue to the end of the bridge if we start taking fire. If we can."

This message was last edited by the player at 12:06, Sun 16 Jan 2011.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 857 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 16 Jan 2011
at 11:08
Re: Crossroads
Mariusz turned to Sawiki and explained what the Captain wanted her to do. He kept his translation accurate and didn't add any frills to it.

"Sawiki," he said, "the Captain wants you to go out through the roof hatch and talk to these people. Try to get them to meet with us so they understand that we're not from the Baron and all we want to do is cross the river and continue our journey. He says not to push the point though or threaten them, if they won't budge we'll leave them in peace and find another crossing."
Monika Sawicki
 player, 57 posts
 Polish
 Medic
Sun 16 Jan 2011
at 15:25
Re: Crossroads
    Monika replied in her native tongue, "Mariusz, tell the Captain that I'm on it."

    She dropped her pack in the vehicle, switching to English to admonish her companions, "Hands out.".  Next, she slowly lifted herself out of the top hatch to present herself to the partisans.  She makes a show of removing the suppressed pistol from her belt and the SMG from her holster, placing them slowily on the top of the BTR.  She then holds up her Doctor's Medical Bag for the locals to see, calling out to them, "We are not the Baron's men.  We just want to pass through to the river and keep going.  I am a medic.  If you have any injured or wounded, we could trade helping them for passage."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2128 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 16 Jan 2011
at 15:49
Riverside
Monika Sawicki:
She dropped her pack in the vehicle, switching to English to admonish her companions, "Hands out.".  Next, she slowly lifted herself out of the top hatch to present herself to the partisans.  She makes a show of removing the suppressed pistol from her belt and the SMG from her holster, placing them slowily on the top of the BTR.  She then holds up her Doctor's Medical Bag for the locals to see, calling out to them, "We are not the Baron's men.  We just want to pass through to the river and keep going.  I am a medic.  If you have any injured or wounded, we could trade helping them for passage."


"You've got to be joking! Do you think we're stupid or something? If you're not the Baron's men, why are you riding in one of his armored cars?"

You remember the black shield painted on either side of the BTR's hull beneath the turret.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 993 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 16 Jan 2011
at 16:41
Re: Riverside
If Tucker is near one of the ports, he will try to find that second person that is out there, if not near a port, he will stay low and get ready to move in case this goes real bad.
Monika Sawicki
 player, 58 posts
 Polish
 Medic
Sun 16 Jan 2011
at 20:37
Re: Riverside
    Monika smiled.  "That is a very good question.  I understand why you feel that way.  Some of us used to work for the Baron.  We decided that we couldn't work for that tyrant any longer and we left.  The Baron sent some people after us.  We killed them and took the only vehicle they had that still was operating."

    Monika spread her arms wide slowly to encompass the vehicle.  "I speak for all of us when I say that all we want is to go on our way.  If our being here troubles you, just say so and we will find another place to cross the river."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2129 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 16 Jan 2011
at 23:51
Re: Riverside
Monika Sawicki:
    Monika smiled.  "That is a very good question.  I understand why you feel that way.  Some of us used to work for the Baron.  We decided that we couldn't work for that tyrant any longer and we left.  The Baron sent some people after us.  We killed them and took the only vehicle they had that still was operating."

    Monika spread her arms wide slowly to encompass the vehicle.  "I speak for all of us when I say that all we want is to go on our way.  If our being here troubles you, just say so and we will find another place to cross the river."


There's a long pause before the young man replies.

"So, you took that thing from the Baron? Just stay put right there. I've got to talk to my people across the river."

A couple of minutes pass before you spot a small rowboat pushing off from the south shore and paddling towards the opposite bank. The single rower looks even younger than the lad you're talking to. The boy in the balaclava continues to study you from his perch in the attic of the house opposite your parking spot.

Tucker, meanwhile, succeeds in spotting the young man's "sister" (position updated on tac-map). She's well concealed in a second building a bit farther back from the road and closer to the river; she likely would have escaped detection by one less eagle-eyed. In fact, Craig had also studied the building but had missed her. Sure enough, she's peering through a scoped rifle, pointed at someone atop the BTR. Looking down the barrel of the gun, it's easy to believe that she could indeed shoot the pecker off a squirrel at this range.

A few more minutes pass before the rowboat completes its round-trip. There is a passenger along this time- a young adult dressed in a mix of Polish cammies and civilian garb. He steps ashore while his young rower moves the boat out of your line of sight. The adult walks towards you on the west side of the road. He carries an AK at the low ready. At about 50m, he stops and calls out.

"You're not with the Baron, eh? Who are you with then? Why are you trying to cross the river here?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:58, Mon 17 Jan 2011.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 324 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Mon 17 Jan 2011
at 00:44
Re: Riverside
"Asgard!" Thor blurted out proudly, puffing out his chest and standing tall.
"Thor," He thumped his chest.
"That Haptabeiðir, Bragi, Máni, Tyr, Svafrlami, Sunna, Njörun, Valkyrie Mist. Jean de Grouchy and Dawid in dragon."
"Thor not well know other."
"Careful of Huldrekall."


Then, leaning slightly forward and speaking in a stage whisper, he said, "We many kill Døkkálfar. Take dragon."


*Bayer, Dieter, Mariusz, Tucker, Craig, Monika, Viktorya, Minh. Jan, Dawid
Warren

Craig Sutherland
 player, 293 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 17 Jan 2011
at 08:15
Re: Riverside

As the older youth comes into view Craig slowly moves his point of aim onto the new target. He doubted they would let them across and he saw no way of getting the BTR to the other side anyway.

Then again if they could get some more local allies who where not half of a Soviet Motorised division all the better. Maybe the whole "our enemy is your enemy so lets be mates" mite work out.