Ch 15: Warsaw (Part II)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Jan Cerny
 player, 836 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 18 Jan 2011
at 13:31
Re: Riverside
"Monika," Jan said, speaking Polish.  "Please explain to the people here that we are about to all get out of the vehicle so that we can work out what we can trade."
Monika Sawicki
 player, 65 posts
 Polish
 Medic
Tue 18 Jan 2011
at 14:17
Re: Riverside
     Monika turned from her companions to address the leader of the others in Polish.  "Please excuse us as we work out what we have to trade.  We are going to be unloading the vehicle to see what we have available.  When the Baron graciously donated his BTR to us, we had to leave the area in somewhat of a hurry.  We will also be inspecting the BTR to see if we can swim it across after your people transport our people and our gear across.  This may take awhile.   Also, may I holster my weapons at this time?"
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 859 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 18 Jan 2011
at 20:29
Re: Riverside
Mariusz moved to the Kaptain's side and said, "Sir, if we have to leave the BTR, let me try to negotiate the hire of a pack animal or cart or something, the more kit we can get to the Tenth the better off they'll be. We haven't appealed to these people's patriotism or sense of independence yet, with that and some generous trading we may be able to help get the Tenth in fighting trim. It'll mean putting some of our cards on the table, but nothing the Baron wasn't using against us over the radio."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2140 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 18 Jan 2011
at 23:00
Re: Riverside
Monika Sawicki:
     Monika turned from her companions to address the leader of the others in Polish.  "Please excuse us as we work out what we have to trade.  We are going to be unloading the vehicle to see what we have available.  When the Baron graciously donated his BTR to us, we had to leave the area in somewhat of a hurry.  We will also be inspecting the BTR to see if we can swim it across after your people transport our people and our gear across.  This may take awhile.   Also, may I holster my weapons at this time?"


"Yeah, sure. Just stay close to the vehicle and don't do anything that could be interpreted as hostile or aggressive. My young friends don't have a very well developed sense of restraint."

The group slowly un-asses the BTR, quietly discussing options and weighing what to offer in trade for safe passage of the river here. If this man is telling the truth, finding another way across somewhere else could take a while. Warren's contact indicated that time was of the essence. These people seem like decent folk. This could be the best deal in town.

The BTR is given a thorough visual inspection by several pairs of eyes and several troubling findings are made. Aside from the at least three .5" holes in the hull (two upper, one lower) punched by Thor's accurate .50 caliber fire during the ambush, there are several cracks in the welds around the nose of the APC. The impact of the BTR against the thick steel hull the derelict T-86 at the spider probably sprung the seams. Add the external damage to the BTR's internal issues (a single, overworked engine and steering/braking issues, at the minimum), trying to swim a river is going to be a gamble with the odds somewhat stacked against you.

A "fair" trade is sounding a whole lot better now.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:10, Tue 18 Jan 2011.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 330 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Tue 18 Jan 2011
at 23:41
Re: Riverside
"No swim," Thor said insistantly.
"Go other. No cross river."
He pointed emphatically southeastward, indicating the road which lead around the southern bank of the river and would eventually meet up with the 10th TD on the same side as both parties already were on.

Crossing the river made absolutely no sense.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1344 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 18 Jan 2011
at 23:56
Re: Riverside
Mariusz Tokarski:
Mariusz moved to the Kaptain's side and said, "Sir, if we have to leave the BTR, let me try to negotiate the hire of a pack animal or cart or something, the more kit we can get to the Tenth the better off they'll be. We haven't appealed to these people's patriotism or sense of independence yet, with that and some generous trading we may be able to help get the Tenth in fighting trim. It'll mean putting some of our cards on the table, but nothing the Baron wasn't using against us over the radio."


Bayer nods silently, then says, "And also find out what they plan on using to move us. Specifically if it can bring up us up the river... further north a couple of kilometers and not just across to the other bank."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:57, Tue 18 Jan 2011.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 331 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 00:06
Re: Riverside
Frustrated, Thor grabbed Bayer by the shoulders.
"No cross. No need."
Minh Quyen
 player, 541 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 00:10
Re: Riverside
"Hey!" Quyen hissed at Thor, taking a step forward. "Hands off him or you lose them. NOW!"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 996 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 00:21
Re: Riverside
Minh Quyen:
"Hey!" Quyen hissed at Thor, taking a step forward. "Hands off him or you lose them. NOW!"

After dropping his pack to the ground near Minh, Tucker catches the actions of Thor grabbing at Konrad and he tries to go into action when he hears Minh make her request of Thor, nicely.  Going for the Browning HP in his MOLLE vest, Robert draws and takes aim at Thor, "What the fuck is this?  Do we really need this right now?  Are you that FUCKING out there beyond the rest of us you lost your FUCKING mind?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2142 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 01:29
Re: Riverside
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
After dropping his pack to the ground near Minh, Tucker catches the actions of Thor grabbing at Konrad and he tries to go into action when he hears Minh make her request of Thor, nicely.  Going for the Browning HP in his MOLLE vest, Robert draws and takes aim at Thor, "What the fuck is this?  Do we really need this right now?  Are you that FUCKING out there beyond the rest of us you lost your FUCKING mind?"


The Pole might not comprehend what is being said but he certainly understands what Tucker's gesture means. He holds his empty hand up, presumably to stop the girl sniper from shooting. Then he turns back towards the party and yells,

"Whoa! Tell that man to lower his weapon!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:36, Wed 19 Jan 2011.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1345 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 01:43
Re: Riverside
Bayer remains completely still throughout being apprehended. Then glancing over towards Quyen and Tucker, he says calmly, "It's ok Robert. It's ok."

Then looking back at Thor, he says just as calmly, "Release me. Let me go. Now, before it gets worse."

If Thor complies, Bayer will step away and give a subtle wave to Mariusz towards the town's militia - suggesting to the boy that he continue on what he was going to say to them.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:44, Wed 19 Jan 2011.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2233 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 03:17
Re: Riverside
Konrad Bayer:
Mariusz Tokarski:
Mariusz moved to the Kaptain's side and said, "Sir, if we have to leave the BTR, let me try to negotiate the hire of a pack animal or cart or something, the more kit we can get to the Tenth the better off they'll be. We haven't appealed to these people's patriotism or sense of independence yet, with that and some generous trading we may be able to help get the Tenth in fighting trim. It'll mean putting some of our cards on the table, but nothing the Baron wasn't using against us over the radio."


Bayer nods silently, then says, "And also find out what they plan on using to move us. Specifically if it can bring up us up the river... further north a couple of kilometers and not just across to the other bank."


Dawid finished his inspection and approached Konrad and Mariusz, wiping his hands on a rag.

"It doesn't look good, Kapitan, she won't float without at least some repairs. We can get around the dodgy engine if we're towed, but all the seals should be re-soldered and at least one or two holes plugged."

He turned to Mariusz and held out his last bottle of vodka, "I'd like to come with you and talk to these people, but I think you can well handle yourself. Oh yes, remember that we still have a couple 73mm rounds for the recoilless rifle that can be traded, which we don't need anymore. And there's the SG-43 machinegun, without ammunition (it's been consolidated with the PKM's supply)."

Dawid noted with some alarm Thor's actions and stepped back, not wanting to escalate the situation by intervening physically like the others or at least get in the line of fire. Besides, others seemed to have things in hand.

"Thor, you are wrong. We have to cross one canal and at least another river anyways, maybe two. I have seen the map! Now stop this foolishness."
Craig Sutherland
 player, 295 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 06:20
Re: Riverside


Craig took a side long glance at the little drama unfolding. Once Tucker drew his weapon Craig decided not to change his point of aim. Turning back to the RPK he glanced at the building that Tucker had indicated the sniper was in. He tried to pick the woman out in case he had to fire on her position.

“Getting too bloody old if I can't pick out a civ girl with a rifle.”

Listening in on the previous conversation about the trade goods he hoped they wouldn't offer the BTR out-of-hand, they would have to give them all the weapons as well with nothing to lug it around in.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2235 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 10:30
Re: Riverside
Seeing that things were starting to get a little confused, Dawid continued speaking to the people milling in and around the BTR. He felt people were losing focus.

"Okay, let's not get sloppy here while Mariusz is talking. Everyone, listen up!"

"You heard the Kapitan. Everyone out of the BTR. We will mount a 360 degree guard while we wait. Just because we're talking at the moment doesn't mean there can't be... accidents. Surprises. Keep your weapons safe, move slow, no threatening moves."


He was mindful that people were still on edge, without sleep, fearful of pursuit and worried about the future. Time to do what they could to control their immediate area.

Pointing at the bridge he declared, "that's Twelve o'clock."

"Craig, you continue to keep that sniper under observation at Nine o'clock. Minh and Monika are now under your direction."

"Jan, you've got Teo and Warren, you are Six o'clock. Give Teo the PKM and set up to cover our back-trail down 61. If anyone has any rockets left, pass them to Jan now."

"Tuck, you Piotr and Vita cover Three o'clock."

"Dieter, take Woj and Lech and cover Twelve o'clock."

"I will direct Thor, Janek and Matias in unloading the vehicle. Let's try to keep what we have somewhat secret for now, so let's put it out the right side. Everyone else, find what cover you can but stay close."


From what he figured, all the arcs had someone with a scoped sniper rifle and their back-trail was covered by the PKM. Actually, maybe the SG-43 might be more stable, but he didn't want to screw around with loading and unloading it.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:08, Wed 19 Jan 2011.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 335 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 14:08
Re: Riverside
Thor totally ignored everyone except Bayer, removing his hands now he finally had his attention.
"No float. No swim. Go other." he pointed again at the more southerly route.
"No know other bridge Narew up." He held his hand out palm down and parallel to the ground before letting his fingers drop and shrugged.
"Narew big river. No bridge, no cross."
"No know bridge other,"
he admitted with a jerk of his thumb towards his preferred route.
"If up, worth try. One bridge only if fight Døkkálfar."
"If drop, no loose. Come back. Only few mile."

He paused, a thought springing into his head.

"Thor go look bridge? Two hour."
"Dawid, Njörun fix dragon. All rest, eat."

Jan Cerny
 player, 839 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 14:22
Re: Riverside
"Dawid, countermand those orders and Thor stay where you are,” ordered Jan in English, sounding like a Sergeant Major, with a much more authoritative voice than he had used before.  He didn't yell but his tone was very firm.  “We are currently under observation by the people who control this bridge and if we set up a defensive perimeter like you have outlined Dawid or if we wander over to the bridge like you seem to want to do Thor, then that will be deemed as threatening behaviour.  There are some very jumpy but armed civilians around us so let us just play this their way and stay by the vehicle without setting up machineguns or leaving the immediate area.”

Jan then switched to Polish.  “Everyone stay by the vehicle and do not do anything stupid.  There are rifles on us!”

This message was last edited by the player at 14:30, Wed 19 Jan 2011.

Thor Halgeirsen
 player, 337 posts
 Norwegian Kvartermester
 Marinejegerkommandoen
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 15:23
Re: Riverside
"Shut fuck up!" he responded angrily without diverting his attention from Bayer and not happy that firstly he'd had a weapon pointed at him for trying to express himself, and now a damn surrender monkey was trying to tell HIM, the God of thunder what to do!

"Haptabeiðir command. No you."
Jan Cerny
 player, 842 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 15:25
Re: Riverside
Jan just shook his head at Thor and let him walk off towards the bridge if he wanted to.  Maybe one of the kids with rifles would solve the issue for them.  Jan wasn't certain that he would be sad to loose Thor.  Probably but not certain!
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 860 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 17:01
Re: Riverside
Mariusz shook his head sadly as he walked away from the fray. He placed his rifle on the ground and took of his cap, letting his long hair flow free and showing how close he was to the age of the local.

He smiled and shrugged and said, "Foreigners."

He held out his empty hands and said, "May I come closer to negotiate payment with you? We have much to discuss away from the children."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 185 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 17:50
Re: Riverside
Jeff had watched everything occur with mixed detachment.  None of the situation was a new experience to him, and he wasn't surprised by anyone's actions, or the logic in Thor's point.

"Jan's right.  These are just scared civilians, if we start digging in they're going to freak out and someone is going to get shot.  Let's barter and be done with it."

Then addressing Thor's ideas "If we can barter with these people to let us cross without losing much that's great.  I don't like the idea of leaving the BTR here, because it will be a nightmare to try and bring the 10th across at this part of the river using only their ferry.  If we can stay and conduct repairs to safely swim the BTR across that'd be best.  In the meantime, some of us could go ahead and meet the 10th's recon party, which is only a few miles up the road.  They report the next bridge is intact, we just need to barter with those locals to lower it for our ex-Soviet friends."
Monika Sawicki
 player, 67 posts
 Polish
 Medic
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 21:14
Re: Riverside
    Monika picked up her weapons and put them away.  She had heard Piotrowski saying something and using a lot of their names, including hers.  All she understood was that certain people were supposed to do things at certain times later on today.  She began to help with the vehicle unloading since Mariusz had taken over the negotiations.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2143 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 23:04
Re: Riverside
Mariusz Tokarski:
He smiled and shrugged and said, "Foreigners."

He held out his empty hands and said, "May I come closer to negotiate payment with you? We have much to discuss away from the children."


The negotiator is clearly alarmed by the level of antagonism in this group of potential crossees.

"What's the fucking problem? Do you guys want to trade or what?"

It's hard to tell, but Tucker would be willing to wager that the girl sniper's crosshairs are centering in on the maverick Norwegian's blond, ratty hair.

The boy in the attic 50m to your west also aims his weapon, a submachinegun of some kind, at the people around the BTR.

Instead of developing raport with these people, things are starting to get even more tense. Cool heads are required and Thor is having a bit of a tantrum. This could get ugly very quickly...

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:41, Wed 19 Jan 2011.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2238 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 23:24
Re: Riverside
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #724):

Dawid replied to the sentry,

"There's no problem, we have a man here who's just a little crazy in the head, you know how it is. Nothing's going to happen!"

"Don't shoot! We're just getting out of the BTR and spreading around so we're not in each others' way while we unload it. You say you can't take it across, right?"


He continued in English to the rest of them. "Thor, please stay where you are, we will let the Kapitan decide, and do not have permission to leave."

"Everyone else, the Kapitan has given the order to unload, and you have your sectors. At least get out of the fucking BTR so we're not all bunched up, don't make any threatening moves, spread out now."

"Jan, if you think the PKM is going to be a problem for them, don't man it. It's under your control, and it's not pointing towards them. These bozos aren't the only possible threat here, I'm also expecting the Baron to show up, personally, and we need someone watching the back door!"


Dawid repeated what he said earlier in Polish for the benefit of the new arrivals.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:49, Wed 19 Jan 2011.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 296 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 19 Jan 2011
at 23:28
Re: Riverside

Craig thought to roll off the BTR to the right but in the end he slowly sits upright and slightly raises his hands so those pointing the weapons can clearly see he is no threat. If the shooting starts he will roll off the APC.

"Why does he always do this shit when we are trying to make friends, let him go"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 999 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 20 Jan 2011
at 01:48
Re: Riverside
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer remains completely still throughout being apprehended. Then glancing over towards Quyen and Tucker, he says calmly, "It's ok Robert. It's ok."

Tucker just looks through the sights of his Browning and brings the pistol back down to his side.  Safety still on, Tucker holsters the pistol back in his vest and then goes and sits by his pack.  He sits and stares at the building where he saw the girl.