Ch. 16: The Battle of Warsaw (Part I)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Craig Sutherland
 player, 408 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 25 Sep 2011
at 08:06
Re: Storming the Black Fort

Craig lowered the scope to the MG nest and targeted the loader. He aimed for the central mass of the prone man and fired.

When he registered a hit he began scanning the front of the stadium and either side up the road from the walk bridge to the barracks looking for more targets.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 144 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sun 25 Sep 2011
at 13:39
Re: Storming the Black Fort
Jay's brief leasure at successfully neutralising is target was immediately tempered as he spotted Mattias drop to the ground in the corner of his eye. The tall, scrawny boy was probably dead before he hit the ground, so hopefully he didn't suffer. As he half-heard Jan's order over the din, Jay was already readjusting his aim to locate the shooter who had slain his young comrade.

As he swivelled his position he located the enemy, and unleashed a suppressive volley (10 rounds), aiming to force the man to take cover. This would hopefully allow Jay's teammates to adjust their positions and go for the kill.

Jay Byanjankar
Assault team
Adjusting fire to aim at sentry on east wall (who killed Mattias) - firing 2x 5 round burst
AK74 (22/30) with BG15

Minh Quyen
 player, 579 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 26 Sep 2011
at 17:59
Re: Storming the Black Fort
Quyen keeps her focus directed to the top of the wall where her target is fixed in place by her slow and deliberate fire. She pays little attention to what else is going on around her to make sure she is able to react in an instant if the enemy decided to take a chance and pop up. She'd be ready.

With the rifle pulled into her shoulder she squeezes the trigger again and again, pausing between her shots to control her aim and breathing.

Quyen
AK74 (20/30)
Keeping the wall guard pinned (2 single shots per phase)

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2343 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 29 Sep 2011
at 00:04
Re: Storming the Black Fort

Rescue Team

Responding to the shooting of Mattias, most of the rescue team focus their attention on the man responsible. He jumps and shudders as several rounds strike home, finally dropping on the walkway. (Jan -2 rounds, Jay -5 rounds)

Minh maintains her laser-like focus on the man just below the walkway, on the keep roof. He leaves just a peek of leg exposed and Minh's second shot finds it with a sickening double crack. The man screams and falls to the surface of the roof, his shinbone likley shattered beyond repair. (Minh -2 rounds)

Konrad trots over to Mattias, grabs him by his coat, and drags his completely limp body behind the food wagon. The two draught horses to which it is harness are snorting and stamping in fear. There is a danger they will bolt. Konrad is about to place his fingers on Mattias' neck to check for a pulse when he sees the extent of the boy's wounds. Most of his throat is missing, both his jugular and carotid very likely severed. There's nothing that can be done for the kid.

Mariusz recovers his rifle from the wagon. By the time he's retrieved it, the fighting inside the stadium has stopped, at least momentarily.

Pawel walks purposefully towards the keep, silenced Makarov held at arm's length. His left had searches inside his coat for a hand grenade.

The gunfire inside the stadium has stopped but the confusion continues. Some of the hostages have fled (about 20), others look like they are about to (about 30). Others hug the dirt floor of the stadium fort, too afraid or confused to do anything else (the remaining 50 or so). Several of the sedentary hostages are crying and whimpering in fear. One hostage in particular is clearly in greater duress. A young woman clutches her bloody forearm, apparently having taken a stray round or ricochet. Another young woman screams that her elderly mother is having a heart attack.

Sniper Team

Craig searches for more targets in front of the stadium. His rifle sight is soon filled with a stream of people- civilians by the looks of them- flooding out of the stadium's main gate. Target acquisition has just gotten a whole lot trickier.

Deprived of his intended target by the efforts of the rescue team, Warren too searches for fresh prey.

The two guards in the machinegun nest above the gate are laying low. They haven't surrendered but they're clearly reluctant to give up the fight. It looks like they're keeping quiet and hoping that they will be forgotten.

Support Team

As Orso leaves the rubbled riverside structure where the support team is taking cover on his one-man assault, Tucker lobs another grenade at the spot across the bridge road which Dawid has indicated marks the last known hiding place of the two bridge sentries. The grenade arcs over the Italian, landing bang on target. The target, however, is on the other side of the road embankment out of sight. If there was someone there when the grenade struck, they're likely dead or badly wounded now. (Tucker -1 HE)

Orso charges towards the smoking riverside bunker, shotgun held at the ready. As he nears the shattered structure, he spots movement on its sagging sandbagged roof. The enemy lookout appears to have survived the twin explosions of Orso's RGP HEAT rocket and Tuckers 40mm HEDP. The man is clearly still somewhat stunned as he makes no move to engage the approaching attacker. Orso is now only a little under 20m from the bunker. At the moment, he's on his own.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:29, Thu 29 Sept 2011.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 409 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 29 Sep 2011
at 02:24
Re: Storming the Black Fort

As the hostages began to stream out of the stadium Craig realised that he need to try and silence the machine gun nest. He laid the loaded sniper rifle next to the AK-74/BG-15 he lifted and aimed towards the machine gun team *.

"40mm HE, TR5 and TR6 **meters, grenade out."

It was a quick heads up to Warren that there maybe movement within the target area after the grenade detonated.


* If this action in anyway puts the hostages or the rescue team in danger he won't attempted it, instead continuing to scan the area where the machine gun team are located with the sniper rifle.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2484 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 29 Sep 2011
at 10:06
Re: Storming the Black Fort
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #804):

"Good shot, Tucker! They should be gone or suppressed after that. Piotr, concentrate on the bunker! Everyone else, hold your position." Like usual he repeated the relevant instructions in Polish for Monika's and Piotr's sake.

Unable to see any movement at the bunker, he kept his eyes open for other threats. As Orso was approaching the target area, fire from the GPMG there would have a high chance of hitting him.


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM (95/100 + 203 spare rounds carried by Fleming)
Riverside Ruins, centre
Aiming, overwatch (opportunity fire)

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 958 posts
Thu 29 Sep 2011
at 18:17
Re: Storming the Black Fort

This message was deleted by the player at 15:02, Fri 30 Sept 2011.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 145 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Thu 29 Sep 2011
at 19:12
Re: Storming the Black Fort
The target went down, although it wasn't clear whether Jay had gotten his man, or Jan had done the job. Either way, vengeance was delivered. He scanned around. Other than the man Minh had shot screaming on the ground, there were no other obvious targets.

"Yahn-ji," Jay called out to Jan. "Target down. Area clear I think." As he spoke he moved towards cover, keeping low and watching out for other movement.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1116 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 29 Sep 2011
at 20:05
Re: Storming the Black Fort
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #804):

"Good shot, Tucker! They should be gone or suppressed after that. Piotr, concentrate on the bunker! Everyone else, hold your position." Like usual he repeated the relevant instructions in Polish for Monika's and Piotr's sake.

Tucker smiles when he sees the hit on the opposite side of the road where he had meant to aim at the first time.  One minor correction got him right on the mark and it would appear that Dawid is excited about it to.  Now, he rolls to his side and dumps the empty 40mm cyklinder from the breach, takes another HE from his MOLLE vest, and reloads his launcher and awaits further orders.  He keeps his eyes on the bunker where Orso is charging by himself and gets ready to fire, if needed.

TUCKER
M-16A2 [31/30] / M-203 [HE] - {READY WEAPON} Safety OFF - SINGLE SHOT
Browning HP-35 [13/13] SAFETY 'ON' Cocked & locked
Kevlar Vest/Helmet

Reloading M-203 launcher with HE round (sheet updated) and waiting to return/support fire or move

This message was last edited by the player at 20:07, Thu 29 Sept 2011.

Minh Quyen
 player, 580 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 29 Sep 2011
at 22:35
Re: Storming the Black Fort
Quyen lowers the muzzle of her weapon after her target falls off of the roof, satisfied that he's no longer a threat to her or her teammates. She pivots to her side, scanning the rest of the wall but then shouts in agreement with Jay "Area clear." Still kneeling near the wagon, Quyen replaces her half empty magazine with a full one and then slings it. She then draws her sidearm, holding it with both hands and keeps it pointed to the ground in an alert position.

Then noticing Pawel walking towards the keep with a grenade Quyen shouts to get Bayer's (and Jan's) attention "Hauptmann." She then points at their Polish ally with the grenade in his hand. "We don't know what is in there."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:41, Thu 29 Sept 2011.

Arturo 'Orso' Ottenebrato
 player, 57 posts
 Sergente Maggiore Capo
 Paracadutisti Incursori
Fri 30 Sep 2011
at 06:18
Re: Storming the Black Fort
"Come," Orso called to Piotr, Flemming and Monika.
"Codardi cani!" he swore when they didn't move.

As expected, Orso crossed 150 metres without attracting a single shot towards him. Twenty metres away from his destination, and looking into the smoking rubble that was once the bunker, Orso squeezed of two rounds into the stunned man.
This was war. There was no place for compassion.


Orso
Firing 2 rounds at enemy - one slug, one buckshot
Franchi SPAS-15 w/ 1x HEAT grenade (5/6 buckshot) + 6x5 buckshot + 6 slugs (loose)
Grenade attachment
Armscor MGL Mark 1 (4 HE, 2 smoke/6) + 2xILLUM, 6xHEDP, 2x HE, 3xSmoke
Grenade, M26A1, x6
Grenade, smoke, M18 x2
Mecar BTU rifle grenade, HEAT
Swiss Army Knife
Gas Mask
4x Binoculars
RV-2/400 Hand Radio

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 959 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 30 Sep 2011
at 16:09
Re: Storming the Black Fort
Mariusz laid the pistol on the wagon and grabbed his rifle. He rushed after the assaulters and yelled, "I've got a grenade launcher, do you want me to fire it at anything?"

Mariusz
AK-74 30/30
BG-1 1/1 HE
Following the assaulters on the keep
Asking for targets

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 312 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Fri 30 Sep 2011
at 18:30
Re: Storming the Black Fort
As Craig picks up his AK, Jeff looks away from the scope for just a moment to call on the radio beside them.  "Alpha Lead, Delta.  All sentries visible from our position dead or wounded.  The MG team is wounded but still possibly functional, but they're laying low.  Delta 2 is about to drop some 40 mil on them, so, uh, heads down."

He pauses to watch Craig, and then adds quickly "You going to finish off the rest of the wounded down there or should we get them?"
Jan Cerny
 player, 1106 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 1 Oct 2011
at 20:08
Re: Storming the Black Fort
Mariusz Tokarski:
Mariusz laid the pistol on the wagon and grabbed his rifle. He rushed after the assaulters and yelled, "I've got a grenade launcher, do you want me to fire it at anything?"

As Jan scanned around he couldn't spot any immediate threat, though Pawel seemed to be intent on assaulting the keep on his own and Mariusz seemed to want a target for his grenade launcher!

"Pawel," Jan called in Polish.  "We don't know if there are prisoners or guards in there so be cautious with that grenade!  Mariusz, back Pawel up but stick to your rifle."

Jan then switch to English.  "Minh!  Jay!  I'm going to check out the keep with Pawel and Mariusz.  You two keep us covered!"  Jan then set off cautiously forward, with his rifle butt tucked tightly into this shoulder, to back up Pawel and to check out the keep.


Jan
Issuing orders and advancing forward to the keep, backing up Pawel and Mariusz - if a threat appears he will fire two single shots at it
F88 Steyr AUG (28/30 rounds - 7 mags total) - held
 - Underslung M203 (1/1 HE - 6x HE, 3x HEDP & 1x ILLUM total)
PM-84 SMG + Suppressor - 22/25 rounds - 2 mags + 40 loose rounds total) - on sling
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15 rounds - 4 mags total) - holster
Frag Grenade x4

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 147 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Tue 4 Oct 2011
at 10:47
Re: Storming the Black Fort
In reply to Jan Cerny (msg #814):

Hearing Jan's orders, Jay scanned the area with his rifle ready at the shoulder, watching for any threat.

Jay Byanjankar
Assault team
Providing cover for Jan and co.
AK74 (17/30) with BG15

This message was last edited by the player at 08:05, Wed 05 Oct 2011.

Minh Quyen
 player, 581 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 5 Oct 2011
at 01:29
Re: Storming the Black Fort
Jan Cerny:
Jan then switch to English.  "Minh!  Jay!  I'm going to check out the keep with Pawel and Mariusz.  You two keep us covered!"  Jan then set off cautiously forward, with his rifle butt tucked tightly into this shoulder, to back up Pawel and to check out the keep.


Quyen leaves the side of the wagon and repositions herself closer to the center of the building where she can cover Jan better. "Covering." she assures him, holstering her sidearm and drawing her rifle again.

Quyen will then squat down and hold her rifle in the shoulder at the ready position. She'll fire semi-automatic at anyone who appears to be an armed threat.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2345 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 5 Oct 2011
at 18:50
Re: Storming the Black Fort

Support Team

Orso runs at the bunker, bringing his shotgun to bear on the wounded lookout on its sagging roof. The first shot, a slug, burries itself in a sandbag near the man's hand. The second shot, a load of 00 buck, smashes into the lookout's right arm, knocking the man prone again. He doesn't cry out.

Orso is at the bunker a moment later. He finishes the lookout with a point-blank blast to the top of his head and takes a loot through a gap in the bunker's partially collapsed firing embrasure. Through the lingering smoke, he sees at least two bloody bodies. The M2HB around which the bunker was built is damaged beyond repair. (Orso -1 slug, -2 buckshot)

The rest of the support team continues to watch from their position in the ruined building near the river.

Sniper Team

Craig decides against firing his grenade launcher at the machinegun nest above the main gate. There's simply too great a chance of a miss spraying shrapnel into the civilians exitting the fort. With the wounded MG team failing to put up any kind of a fight, it's not worth the risk.

Warren continues to scan for threats to engage. At the moment, there are none. He does consider however, putting another couple of bullets into the wounded MG team. It'd be a tough shot, though, with them lying in the bottom of the sandbagged MG nest- only a small portion of either man is exposed.

Rescue Team

With a long break in the shooting, several more hostages rise and break for the gate. Many more, however, lie patiently (or still paralyzed by fear), awaiting direction or a final resolution to the firefight. The wounded and terrified continue to cry out.

Pawel approaches the keep. He peeks into it through a slit of a window and shouts something to someone inside. He tries to kick in the metal front door but it's bolted from the inside. He pauses for a moment, thinking, then notices something. He looks up at the lip of the roof, and, after another pause, lightly tosses up his grenade. With a sharp BANG, it explodes in a puff of white smoke on the keep roof. Seemingly satisfied with the result, Pawel then returns to where the others are concentrated (around the food wagon) and says,

"There's a woman inside. She's afraid. She's probably worried about being treated as a collaborator. I think she's alone but I don't know. I'm not much for talking. I think I got the guy on the roof, though."


Next Moves?


OOC: The battle is effectively over. There are the enemy wounded and the hostages to deal with. You should probably consider somehow contacting the small band of rebels on the west bank. You can also safely assume the Baron's been contacted about the attack. And there's the 10th out there too.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 410 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 6 Oct 2011
at 02:49
Re: Storming the Black Fort
Jeff D. Warren:
He pauses to watch Craig, and then adds quickly "You going to finish off the rest of the wounded down there or should we get them?"


"Take them out if you have the shot."

He then aims at the MG nest and prepares to fire several bursts at the wounded men once Warren has fired.
Arturo 'Orso' Ottenebrato
 player, 58 posts
 Sergente Maggiore Capo
 Paracadutisti Incursori
Thu 6 Oct 2011
at 08:34
Holding the fort
Given the destroyed machinegun a kick with his boot, Orso swapped carefully peeked over the rim of the rubble to see if he could spot the two runners. Shotgun in one hand, he keyed the radio with the other.
"You codardi get here now!"
It was very evident how pissed off he was being left to singlehandedly assault the destroyed bunker while everyone else sat on their hands in relative safety. There would definitely be words on the subject when the time was right.

Orso
In cover, looking for two runnaways
Franchi SPAS-15 w/ 1x HEAT grenade (4/6 buckshot) + 6x5 buckshot + 5 slugs (loose)
Grenade attachment
Armscor MGL Mark 1 (4 HE, 2 smoke/6) + 2xILLUM, 6xHEDP, 2x HE, 3xSmoke
Grenade, M26A1, x6
Grenade, smoke, M18 x2
Mecar BTU rifle grenade, HEAT
Swiss Army Knife
Gas Mask
4x Binoculars
RV-2/400 Hand Radio

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2486 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 6 Oct 2011
at 09:02
Re: Holding the fort
In reply to Arturo 'Orso' Ottenebrato (msg #819):

Dawid merely smiled and waved, saluting Orso's bravery.

He turned ordered the people around him, repeating in Polish, "don't worry, he'll be all right. We are not to advance at this moment, we could be needed in support of the stadium. Everyone, hold your position."

"Monika, bring the RPG to Tucker, then stay with him.'

"Tucker, you are to engage any vehicles you see."

"Piotr, keep an eye out for our escapees by the bunker."

"Fleming, keep watching south. Radio Konrad and let him know we have taken our objectives."


Dawid lit a cigarette, then used his binoculars to scan the bunker area and road for additional hostiles.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1111 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 6 Oct 2011
at 16:43
Re: Holding the fort
"Pawel, get your rifle and then start gathering up weapons and ammo," ordered Jan.  "We need to arm as many of these civilians as possible."

He then turned to Mariusz and Minh and switched to English.  "Maruisz, go and speak with the woman and find out what her story is.  Minh, back him up just in case she is a threat."

"Jay," he then called to the Gurkha, who was proving to be a solid, reliable soldier, much like Minh and Mariusz.  "A guard ran from the northern wall.  Get up there and check that he is just fleeing and not summoning other enemy troops!  Also keep watch."

Jan then turned to Konrad.  "Capitaine, any further orders?"  He could see that Matias was dead, another young casualty of this war.  Jan had liked him but their casualty rate was making it hard to make friends as it made their deaths more poignant!
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 960 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 6 Oct 2011
at 17:08
Re: Holding the fort
Mariusz nodded and went into the keep, he put on his most harmless smile and said, "We're not locals so don't worry about reprisals, we'll protect you. I have connections in Gora Kalwaria and we can arrange for you to live there if necessary. There's been enough killing here. Come with me and I'll keep you safe."

He held his rifle in one hand and kept it sloped over his shoulder and held out his left hand, "My name's Mariusz," he continued, "what's yours?"
Minh Quyen
 player, 582 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 6 Oct 2011
at 20:34
Re: Holding the fort
Quyen stands up and draws her sidearm again. She will then move up behind Mariusz and off to the side where she can readily back him up if there is trouble with the woman or anyone else. Keeping her sidearm pointed to the ground in a two hand grip, she will occasionally look around for any signs of danger from any of the hostages who might have enemy infiltrators among them.

"Careful..." she warns Mariusz quietly.

Quyen
Covering Mariusz
M9 Handgun 15/50 9mmP
Rescue Group

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1119 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 7 Oct 2011
at 01:38
Re: Holding the fort
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Monika, bring the RPG to Tucker, then stay with him.'

"Tucker, you are to engage any vehicles you see."

Tucker reloads his M-203 with another HE round and slings his rifle behind him as he takes the RPG from Monika and tries to find a position where he's out of sight but can stikll keep watch on the road/roads that would likely be a route that the Baron's men would respond from.  He turns to Monika, "How many rounds do we have for the launcher?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1512 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 7 Oct 2011
at 04:48
Re: Holding the fort
Jan Cerny:
Jan then turned to Konrad.  "Capitaine, any further orders?"


"Leave the rest of the weapons with the locals like you are doing, but have someone to get that machinegun on the roof for us." Bayer says, motioning up to where the gun overlooked the prison yard. He then says, "Give Mariusz one minute... if she's not coming out, then forget her and focus on getting out these other people." Then pointing at the wagon that they used to gain entry, he adds, "The wounded can pile aboard that. Let's get everyone out and moving."

Although they had lost a man, it was still an amazing job that Jan's group had pulled off, so before turning his attention to his radio, Konrad says, "Well done in here."

Bayer then toggles his radio and says, "All call signs, Sunray. Objective secure. Watch for civilians exiting the perimeter and be alert for counterattack. Dawid, do we have a secure crossing over the bridge?"