Ch. 16: The Battle of Warsaw (Part I)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Arturo 'Orso' Ottenebrato
 player, 62 posts
 Sergente Maggiore Capo
 Paracadutisti Incursori
Fri 7 Oct 2011
at 04:59
Re: Holding the fort
"This is Orso."
"No, crossing is NOT secure due to other elements of this callsign refusing to advance. Currently held by me alone. Over."

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2489 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 7 Oct 2011
at 05:28
Re: Holding the fort
In reply to Arturo 'Orso' Ottenebrato (msg #826):

Dawid was temped to "step on" Orso's transmission, but decided that would be unnecessary for the moment.

"Orso, clear the channel, I understand your frustration but you will not transmit again without my permission."

He said to Fleming, "jam that fool if he makes another unauthorised transmission."

"Eagle to Sunray. Understood regarding civilians. Be reassured the near side of the bridge is adequately cleared. Orso elected to bravely charge and occupy the bunker by himself. Bravo! Anyways, would you like us to advance and clear the bridge itself or hold our agreed position?"
Arturo 'Orso' Ottenebrato
 player, 64 posts
 Sergente Maggiore Capo
 Paracadutisti Incursori
Fri 7 Oct 2011
at 05:48
Re: Holding the fort
"Fuck you coward!" he transmitted back, well aware everyone with a radio could hear and knowing full well there would be some serious "discussions" over the performance of the entire support group in the aftermath.
All those involved had some very pointed questions to answer.

He only hoped the officer of the group would stop and listen to both sides fairly before saying or doing anything.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2490 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 7 Oct 2011
at 11:34
Re: Holding the fort
In reply to Arturo 'Orso' Ottenebrato (msg #828):

Dawid rolled his eyes.

"To have sexual intercourse with me you must at least buy me dinner first or I feel cheap and used. Now, stay off the air like a good boy and let Sunray respond to me."

He sighed and looked over at Tucker. "Why? Why me? I'm a nice guy. I brush my teeth and bathe regularly. I listen to people, share cigarettes, give foot rubs on demand. Is it my haircut? My breath?"

"Orso wanted to run up, and you all heard he had my blessing to do so. He has nothing to complain about. I never said anyone would follow him."

Jan Cerny
 player, 1113 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 7 Oct 2011
at 12:03
Re: Holding the fort
Jan nodded to Konrad in appreciation of his praise and turned to Jay.  Praise meant a lot when it came from an officer you respected!  "Jay!  Change in orders.  You and I are retrieving that machinegun."  Checking on the guard who had fled from the north wall and whether he was summoning more troops was unnecessary now as the unit wasn't sticking around long enough for it to be important.

He then switched to Polish.  "Pawel, once you've got your rifle start passing out the captured weapons to those civilians who are prepared to fight!"  Raising his voice he then called over to Mariusz.  "Mariusz.  You have one minute.  After that leave her as we're leaving!"

As he started off to find a way up to the machinegun Jan then heard the vitriol across the radio.  Passing by Konrad he looked at his CO with amazement.  He had no idea what had really happened outside with the Support group but it had turned into a who could shout the loudest contest over the radio and this wasn't the time or place for that kind of discussion.  Jan gave Konrad a very Gallic shrug and then continued on to retrieve the machinegun.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 148 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Fri 7 Oct 2011
at 13:05
Re: Holding the fort
Jan Cerny:
"Jay," he then called to the Gurkha, who was proving to be a solid, reliable soldier, much like Minh and Mariusz.  "A guard ran from the northern wall.  Get up there and check that he is just fleeing and not summoning other enemy troops!  Also keep watch."


Jay paused long enough to swap a fresh magazine into his AK74, and was about to move off in pursuit of the fleeing guard when he heard a follow up order from Jan.

Jan Cerny:
Jan nodded to Konrad in appreciation of his praise and turned to Jay.  Praise meant a lot when it came from an officer you respected!  "Jay!  Change in orders.  You and I are retrieving that machinegun."  Checking on the guard who had fled from the north wall and whether he was summoning more troops was unnecessary now as the unit wasn't sticking around long enough for it to be important.


He nodded in reply to the change of plan, then headed towards the MG ahead of Jan. He kept his weapon ready at the shoulder, staying low and present as small a target as he could. If he spots a threat he will fire 2/3 single shots, followed by a burst if needed.

Jay Byanjankar
Assault team
Swapping for a fresh mag then heading towards MG with Jan
AK74 (30/30) with BG15 (1xHE)

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1513 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 7 Oct 2011
at 15:32
Re: Holding the fort
In reply to Arturo 'Orso' Ottenebrato (msg #826):
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #827):
In reply to Arturo 'Orso' Ottenebrato (msg #828):
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #829):

Bayer scowled at the handset grasped in his gloved hand, catching Jan's shrug as he's leaving. Once the airwaves are clear again, Bayer depresses the transmit switch and says, "Sunray. Enough. Stop this at once." He then exhales deeply, watching his breath in the cold air and continues, "Dawid, if your objective is accomplished I want your group to move up and secure the bridge. Once the hostages start to cross, detach Flemming and Piotr to establish contact with the community over there and try to rally their support. The rest of us will relocate to a temporary hide to prepare for the next phase of the operation. Message me when you have secured the crossing. Over."

Bayer then adds, "Warren, did you copy that? Assault is departing in about five minutes. Get yourself and Sutherland over here before we leave. Over."

1a) Support forces a crossing over the bridge and secures bridge.
1b) Assault continues to oversea the evacuation of the hostages and collection of arms.
1c) Snipers maintain overwatch security.
2) Flemming and Sawicki depart to west bank settlement to rally support.
3) All elements withdraw off the position and relocate a few hundred meters away to setup a temporary hide.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:47, Sat 08 Oct 2011.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2492 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 7 Oct 2011
at 21:05
Re: Holding the fort
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #832):

"Understood, Sunray. Eagle is moving out."

He hung up the handset and addressed the rest of the team.

"Okay everyone, let's move out! We're moving north along the riverside road to the bunker, then left to cross the bridge. If we run into serious trouble before the bunker the rally point is here, then the bunker once we start across the bridge."

"Tucker, you take Piotr and go down the right side of the road, I will take Monika and Fleming and sweep down the left. When we link up with Orso I'll probably send Tucker and Orso across the bridge first with the rest of us covering, then we go as pairs: Me and Fleming, then Piotr and Monika." He repeated the instructions in Polish.


Assuming there were no questions, they moved out.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:23, Tue 18 Oct 2011.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1120 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 14:13
Re: Holding the fort
"What do you want me to do with the RPG Dawid?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2494 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 20:34
Re: Holding the fort
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #834):

"Hand it off to Monika. You're the best shot with it between us, anyways."

He stood up, picked up the PKM by the handle, and prepared to move out.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1121 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 21:35
Re: Holding the fort
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
He sighed and looked over at Tucker. <Blue>"Why? Why me? I'm a nice guy. I brush my teeth and bathe regularly. I listen to people, share cigarettes, give foot rubs on demand. Is it my haircut? My breath?"

Tucker laughs at Dawid  as he unslings his rifle again before handing off the RPG back over to Monika.  He tells him, "You never mentioned foot rubs to me or we might've been closer sooner!  It isn't your hair or breath, you're just an asshole!  If it makes you feel any better though, he's a much bigger asshole than you are and I'd rather be with you!

Now back to business.  You want us to find those two on the other side of the road first or Just head out with Pawel Dawid?"

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2495 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 22:28
Re: Holding the fort
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #836):

"No more foot rubs! Bad for morale, apparently."

"As for our two missing combatants, have a look on that side of the road when you get there (Orso doesn't seem interested) and if they're still around, take them out."

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1122 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 10 Oct 2011
at 22:15
Re: Holding the fort
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #836):

"No more foot rubs! Bad for morale, apparently."

"As for our two missing combatants, have a look on that side of the road when you get there (Orso doesn't seem interested) and if they're still around, take them out."

"Take care of it when we get there Dawid."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2496 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 10 Oct 2011
at 22:53
Re: Holding the fort
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #838):

"Agreed, let us move."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 315 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Tue 11 Oct 2011
at 11:26
Re: Holding the fort
"I copy."

Generally satisfied with the way the day had worked out, Jeff holds his position to cover the retreating assault force.  Once they had signaled they were clear, he and Craig break down their hide and rejoin them.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2350 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 11 Oct 2011
at 17:56
Re: Holding the fort

Rescue Team

Mariusz and Minh speak to the frightened female occupant of the fort's keep through its heavy metal door. Mariusz thinks he hears a second voice- a man's- speaking low inside as well. The girl' voice, loud and desperate, cuts off the softer male voice and pleads,

"Just go away! I can't hurt you! Please, I'm scared. Just leave! There's nothing in here but me. I just want to..."

She starts sobbing and her words are no longer intelligible. There are no windows on the ground level. The current roof of the building appears to be the planned floor of the unfinished second story. There's a bit of scaffold on the north side of the building. It's likely that there is a way into the building from the roof.

Meanwhile, Jay climbs up the inside of the rubble wall and approaches the machinegun nest adjacent to the gate. The Gurkha moves cautiously and quietly, AK-74 raised, towards the sandbagged ring of the bunker. The two wounded occupants of the bunker react in surprise and alarm when they notice the armed, diminutive, dark-skinned man loom above them. Lying on the bunker floor, they beg and plead for mercy (Jay can't understand the words they use, but their demeanor and tone are clear) as they look down the barrel of Jay's AK.

The hostages- at least those remaining behind in the fort- still seemed stunned. They sit on the ground awaiting some kind of direction. Pawel helps the two wounded women aboard the ration wagon. This seems to break the spell and most of the rest of the hostages rise and begin milling about. Those that already broke and ran during the gunfight inside the fort have scattered and don't appear unlikely to return. It's a shame since many of them were men fit enough to run quickly. None of these runners headed in the direction of the river. The men remaining among the 60 or so hostages are mostly older (50-70 or so) and appear neither suited nor much inclined to fight.

The spare weapons didn't fit in the crowded wagon so the rescue team has no guns to distribute anyway. Butterfly has about a dozen guns in her Zil truck. She's on standby, waiting for the call to come to the fort.

The snipers continue to provide overwatch for the rescue team. They've seen no sign of any living enemy in since the shooting stopped. If they move up to the roof of the building that they currently occupy, they will have a better view of the surrounding area. They might even be able to see the barracks building (a little-damaged apartment block) to the east-northeast.

Support Team

Dawid leads the rest of the support team towards the damaged bunker where the aggrieved Orso waits. As Dawid looks for a good spot to set up his PKM to cover as many approaches as he can, Tucker carefully approaches the area where Dawid saw the two road-watchers disappear. Peeking over the cracked lip of the roadbed, Tucker sees two men, unmoving and dark with blood, lying tangled together on the shallow slope of the embankment. The tail end of a tattered bandage, wrapped part-way around the thigh of one of the men, flaps a little in the light breeze.

The support team secures the east side of the bridge and waits for the hostages to arrive. Monika lays down the RPG-7 tube and its ammo pack (no containing only two rockets) and begins preparing her medical kit to treat any wounded from among the rescure force or the hostages. Piotr looks across the Vistula through his binoculars.

He shouts over to Dawid (in Polish), "I see people on the other side! A couple have guns. It looks like we have an audience."

Flemming, operating one of the team's longer-ranged manpack radios, informs Dawid,

"I've been switching over to the Baron's main channel. It sounds like he's heard about our little operation here."


Updated Tac-Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...6&mid=1318357728


NEXT MOVES?

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:01, Fri 14 Oct 2011.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 961 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 11 Oct 2011
at 18:33
Re: Holding the fort
Mariusz took Mihn a little away from the door and said, "There's someone else in there, a man. I think there's a way in through the roof, I'll cover here and you get up there, once you're there we give them a chance to come out and if they don't, drop grenades in. If there's a problem I'll blast the door with my grenade launcher. We need to be moving fast and don't have any time for a Canadian stand-off, the girl's dead whichever way we look at it, the only choice we have is if we waste time and casualties on trying to save her."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1123 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 11 Oct 2011
at 20:27
Re: Holding the fort
Cap'n Rae:
Support Team

Dawid leads the rest of the support team towards the damaged bunker where the aggrieved Orso waits. As Dawid looks for a good spot to set up his PKM to cover as many approaches as he can, Tucker carefully approaches the area where Dawid saw the two road-watchers disappear. Peeking over the cracked lip of the roadbed, Tucker sees two men, unmoving and dark with blood, lying tangled together on the shallow slope of the embankment. The tail end of a tattered bandage, wrapped part-way around the thigh of one of the men, flaps a little in the light breeze.

The support team secures the east side of the bridge and waits for the hostages to arrive. Monika lays down the RPG-7 tube and its ammo pack (no containing only two rockets) and begins preparing her medical kit to treat any wounded from among the rescure force or the hostages. Piotr looks across the Vistula through his binoculars.

He shouts over to Dawid (in Polish), "I see people on the other side! A couple have guns. It looks like we have an audience."

Flemming, operating one of the team's longer-ranged manpack radios, informs Dawid,

"I've been switching over to the Baron's main channel. It sounds like he's heard about our little operation here."
NEXT MOVES?

After making his way up to Orso's position with the rest of the support team, Tucker signals to Dawid that there are two men down and don't appear to be moving.  Rob takes NO/ZERO direction from Orso when he gets up near the bunker area.

He looks both ways before crossing the road and let's everyone know that he's moving to the bodies and to cover him in case something happens.  Slowly and as low of a profile he can become, Robert begins to cross the road with his M-16A2 up and trained on the two dead bodies and scanning the immediate area around them.  When he does get to the bodies, he will sling his rifle back and draw out his Browning HP-35 and check the status of the bodies, Intel, and pther cool stuff.

TUCKER
M-16A2 [31/30] / M-203 [HE] - {READY WEAPON} Safety ON - SINGLE SHOT
Browning HP-35 [13/13] SAFETY 'ON' Cocked & locked
Kevlar Vest/Helmet

Moving to check the status of the two downed bodies across from the bunker with M-16A2 as ready weapon until just getting to about [3] meters of the bodies then transitioning to his HP-35

This message was last edited by the player at 01:40, Sun 16 Oct 2011.

Arturo 'Orso' Ottenebrato
 player, 66 posts
 Sergente Maggiore Capo
 Paracadutisti Incursori
Wed 12 Oct 2011
at 13:20
Re: Holding the fort
Orso ignored Dawid when he finally arrived, his anger already significantly cooled. He had no use for cowards, but held no malice towards the rest of the unit. They had obviously followed the orders of a man unable and unwilling to do what needed to be done and had probably already begun trying to justify his inaction and faint heartedness in the face of the enemy.

"You, there. You, there. You, there," he pointed out the best positions for Flemming, Piotr, Monika and Tucker as they arrived having had the better part of five minutes alone to study the situation.
He himself was located amongst the rubble, protected from most sides, his binoculars out and trying to work out if the armed men on the far bank would be causing trouble.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:53, Thu 13 Oct 2011.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 153 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Wed 12 Oct 2011
at 17:06
Re: Holding the fort
Cap'n Rae:
Rescue Team
Meanwhile, Jay climbs up the inside of the rubble wall and approaches the machinegun nest adjacent to the gate. The Gurkha moves cautiously and quietly, AK-74 raised, towards the sandbagged ring of the bunker. The two wounded occupants of the bunker react in surprise and alarm when they notice the armed, diminutive, dark-skinned man loom above them. Lying on the bunker floor, they beg and plead for mercy (Jay can't understand the words they use, but their demeanor and tone are clear) as they look down the barrel of Jay's AK.


Jay paused in his movement. The two men in front of him were, apparently, unable to fight back and being submissive. They were pleading with him for something, but he couldn't make out their babble. He kept his weapon trained on them, ready to fire if they did anything stupid. A false move by either would result in both their deaths.

His initial instinct was to put them both out of their misery, as he had done many times in the past with captured enemy combatants, but this situation was unusual. The men could be forced conscripts, only fighting for the Baron under duress. They could have family nearby. He held his fire, deciding this was a decision for the men above him in the chain of command.

Keeping his eyes firmly on the two men, he tilted his head to call his colleague. "Mr Yahnji! Two wounded enemy here! What I do with them?!"
Jan Cerny
 player, 1116 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 12 Oct 2011
at 18:01
Re: Holding the fort
"Jay, I will cover you while you search them," replied Jan.  He kept his rifle pointed at the two men before speaking to them in Polish.  "If you have any weapons then give them up now or my comrade will cut you up with his big knife rather than waste bullets on you!"  He hoped that the two men had spotted the Kukri knife on Jay's belt.

As Jay set to work Jan then called down to Konrad.  "Capitaine, two wounded prisoners and a PKM up here.  We are searching them and will bring the machinegun and any other weapons.  I assume you do not want to interrogate them?"
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 154 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Thu 13 Oct 2011
at 07:47
Re: Holding the fort
Jay nodded in response to the order. He applied the safety catch on his AK74 and laid it down next to his colleague. He advanced, keeping a clear line of sight between the wounded men and Jan. As he did so he kicked the PKM out of the way.

When he got to the men he checked first for hidden explosives, before removing any weapons, which he tossed to the side out of their reach. He then checked pockets for any documents or other items of interest. If they are able to, he will leave them prone, face down with their hands on their heads, ready for Jan to deal with as he sees fit. He will also take a quick look at their wounds to get an initial assessment, although he is no medic.

If either men try to fight back he will jump clear, leaving Jan a free shot. He will then draw his knife.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:48, Thu 13 Oct 2011.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 412 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 13 Oct 2011
at 08:22
Re: Holding the fort


Turning to Warren Craig tells him; "I'm going up to try and get a better look at the barracks building. Well go in 5."

He then gives a thumbs up as he ascends with his binoculars and Ak at the ready.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2498 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 13 Oct 2011
at 08:34
Re: Holding the fort
In reply to Arturo 'Orso' Ottenebrato (msg #844):

Dawid greeted Orso with a smile and a hand thrown up in the air in celebration.

"You live! Truly a miracle, my friend. I shall thank God in my prayers!"

In response to Orso's directions to the section he merely shook his head in negation.

"No, we're not staying, people. Don't get comfortable. We've got a bridge to take. Piotr, can you identify those men? Tucker, I'm glad to see your grenade was useful, couldn't ask for more."

"Tucker, once you're done come over here. Piotr, you're with Tucker, you two go down the right side. Fleming, you're with me, we're on the left. Monika, you stay here. Gather their weapons, check them for intelligence. Documents, maps, radios, and so on."

Dawid said without anger or passion. "Orso, very bravely done. But I'm afraid we can't work together. So feel free to stay here, feel free to move or do whatever you like but please understand you are no longer part of this detachment. I'll check with the Kapitan and let him know, see if he wants you to stay or go. Again, thanks for participating, sorry it didn't work out."

He addressed everyone else, "everyone ready? Let's move out."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:24, Tue 18 Oct 2011.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1516 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 13 Oct 2011
at 11:19
Re: Holding the fort
Jan Cerny:
As Jay set to work Jan then called down to Konrad.  "Capitaine, two wounded prisoners and a PKM up here.  We are searching them and will bring the machinegun and any other weapons.  I assume you do not want to interrogate them?"


Keeping a watch on the time, Bayer looks over at Jan and shakes his head, "Leave them." He then glances back at his watch and moves over to the wagon near the exit in preparation for leaving. In minutes he'll signal for the Jan's team to begin withdrawing out of the objective.

Before leaving he'll also spend a minute with Matias, silently going through his pockets and collecting anything of value or importance.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:19, Thu 13 Oct 2011.