Ch. 16: The Battle of Warsaw (Part I)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2500 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 13 Oct 2011
at 11:32
Re: Holding the fort
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #850):

It was time to let Konrad know what was happening. Dawid reached back for the handset.

"Eagle calling Sunray."

"We are at the near end of the bridge, preparing to move across. There are armed men on the far side, identity and intentions unknown. They are holding position. Our medic is staying at the near end of the bridge, ready to assist you.

"Radio intercept indicates the Boss is aware of our presence.

"Lastly, you may not be surprised but the new guy appears to no longer acknowledge my command and is attempting to personal take control of the detachment. I am therefore dismissing him. Do you want me to send him back? Cut him loose? I don't care, he's a non-factor in my plans. He's not worth the trouble to deal with."


He signalled everyone to start moving forward.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:52, Thu 13 Oct 2011.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1117 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 14 Oct 2011
at 17:21
Re: Holding the fort
Konrad Bayer:
Keeping a watch on the time, Bayer looks over at Jan and shakes his head, "Leave them."

"Understood Capitaine," Jan called in reply to Konrad before turning to Jay.  "Jay, throw any weapons over the side for the civilians to take apart from any grenades you find and the PKM.  Pass me any grenades and bring the PKM and ammo yourself.  We are leaving the prisoners and I will tell them to hide up here otherwise the mob may execute them."

Jan then turned to the two prisoners and switched to Polish.  "We are disarming you but leaving you unharmed.  Well apart from the wounds you already have.  I suggest that you hide up here until the civilians below have left otherwise they may take reprisals.  You have picked the wrong side and I suggest that you leave Warsaw as soon as you can!"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1125 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 17 Oct 2011
at 15:23
Re: Holding the fort
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Eagle calling Sunray."

"We are at the near end of the bridge, preparing to move across. There are armed men on the far side, identity and intentions unknown. They are holding position. Our medic is staying at the near end of the bridge, ready to assist you.

"Radio intercept indicates the Boss is aware of our presence.

"Lastly, you may not be surprised but the new guy appears to no longer acknowledge my command and is attempting to personal take control of the detachment. I am therefore dismissing him. Do you want me to send him back? Cut him loose? I don't care, he's a non-factor in my plans. He's not worth the trouble to deal with."


He signalled everyone to start moving forward.

"Hey, it may be none of my business so take this with a grain of salt.  You're in charge here, take charge!  You can't just dismiss mother fuckers in the field with this much going on around us no matter how you feel about it or him!  We haven't gotten along in the past but, complete the objective first then deal with what you need to later on.  We tracking Dawid?" Tucker says before he moves across the street to check the bodies.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2501 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 17 Oct 2011
at 20:46
Re: Holding the fort
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #853):

Grinning to show he wasn't taking it personally, Dawid replied, reasonably, "Orso's in open defiance of my command and thinks I'm a coward, so isn't dismissing him just a formality, correct?

"Everyone else has their orders. And to be clear, those orders haven't changed and won't change. We tracking, yes?"


No longer smiling he looked Tucker, Orso and the rest directly in the eye, making it clear he will not back down. For the first time in a long time, For the first time in a long time Dawid raised his voice and addressed everyone:

"THE TIME FOR TALKING IS NOW OVER! WE HAVE A BRIDGE HERE TO TAKE! NOW FOLLOW ME OR GO F*CK YOURSELF, I DON'T CARE! We move now, maintain 10m intervals and fire only on my command. GET GOING, YOU LAZY BASTARDS! MOVE IT!"

Repeating the instructions in Polish, he put his PKM at low-ready and started walking down the left side of the bridge. People would follow, or not. Too much time had been wasted already.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:01, Mon 17 Oct 2011.

Arturo 'Orso' Ottenebrato
 player, 67 posts
 Sergente Maggiore Capo
 Paracadutisti Incursori
Tue 18 Oct 2011
at 01:38
Re: Holding the fort
"About fuckin' time you got your incompetent, goldbricking arse on the job," Orso responded.
His faith in the Pole was at an all time low and given the choice, he'd never be associating with him on the battlefield again. But for now there was a job to do and he was a professional, no matter how some had acted like spoilt children with their bruised pride.
Swapping his partially used magazine for a fresh one, he covered Tuckers movement from his protected fire position (which had been as carefully and professionally selected as the positions Dawid had rejected out of hand), paying particular attention to keeping an eye on the polish artilleryman and which way his weapon was pointed.

Orso
Reloading Covering Tucker as he checks the bodies.
Franchi SPAS-15 (7/6 buckshot) + 6x5 buckshot + 1x4 buckshot + 5 slugs (loose)
Grenade attachment
Armscor MGL Mark 1 (4 HE, 2 smoke/6) + 2xILLUM, 6xHEDP, 2x HE, 3xSmoke
Grenade, M26A1, x6
Grenade, smoke, M18 x2
Mecar BTU rifle grenade, HEAT x2
Swiss Army Knife
Gas Mask
4x Binoculars
RV-2/400 Hand Radio

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2502 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 18 Oct 2011
at 02:04
Re: Holding the fort
In reply to Arturo 'Orso' Ottenebrato (msg #855):

At present, Dawid's back was to Orso as he led the way across the bridge.

If Tucker and Orso wanted to stay behind and screw around, that was fine by him.

As if he could read Orso's spiteful thoughts, Dawid said calmly but clearly as he walked,

"once you just get lost, Orso, you won't be around me any more."

"Now quit bothering us because we got a job to do and you are a frivolous distraction, nothing more."


He sighed and shook his head in disappointment. He wasn't upset, because why would he be?

"Tucker, you seem to want to stay here, then. Search the bodies. Monika, you move up and pair with Piotr on the right. Keep moving, people! Maintain 10m intervals."

This message was last edited by the player at 07:28, Tue 18 Oct 2011.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1126 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 18 Oct 2011
at 08:39
Re: Holding the fort
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #853):

Grinning to show he wasn't taking it personally, Dawid replied, reasonably, "Orso's in open defiance of my command and thinks I'm a coward, so isn't dismissing him just a formality, correct?

"Everyone else has their orders. And to be clear, those orders haven't changed and won't change. We tracking, yes?"


No longer smiling he looked Tucker, Orso and the rest directly in the eye, making it clear he will not back down. For the first time in a long time, For the first time in a long time Dawid raised his voice and addressed everyone:

"THE TIME FOR TALKING IS NOW OVER! WE HAVE A BRIDGE HERE TO TAKE! NOW FOLLOW ME OR GO F*CK YOURSELF, I DON'T CARE! We move now, maintain 10m intervals and fire only on my command. GET GOING, YOU LAZY BASTARDS! MOVE IT!"

Repeating the instructions in Polish, he put his PKM at low-ready and started walking down the left side of the bridge. People would follow, or not. Too much time had been wasted already.

Tucker nodded back to Dawid as he moves in closer to speak quietly to him,
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2503 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 18 Oct 2011
at 09:14
Re: Holding the fort
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #857):

Calmly, Dawid stopped and waited for Tucker to catch up. Looking relaxed, he lit a cigarette. Only his eyes betrayed the stress he was under.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 155 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Tue 18 Oct 2011
at 10:48
Re: Holding the fort
Jan Cerny:
"Understood Capitaine," Jan called in reply to Konrad before turning to Jay.  "Jay, throw any weapons over the side for the civilians to take apart from any grenades you find and the PKM.  Pass me any grenades and bring the PKM and ammo yourself.  We are leaving the prisoners and I will tell them to hide up here otherwise the mob may execute them."


Jay followed Jan's instruction. He advanced on the two wounded men, cautiously but with purpose. He picked up and handguns, rifles and ammunition, made them safe, then tossed them over the side, well away from the two prisoners. He grabbed any grenades or explosives and stuffed them in a pouch. He did a quick check for any intel or other documents, taking everything he could. Finally, he stripped the PKM ammo and slung it over his shoulder (I assume it is on a belt), before picking up the PKM by it's handle. He was no machinegunner so he then retreated to where Jan stood and retrieved his rifle, slinging it over his shoulder before drawing the silenced pistol Tuck had lent him. He then picked up the PKM again and headed back to the others. He would palm grenades off to Jan later.

Rae - please can you confirm what I found in my search so I can amend if necessary. Thanks.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 316 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Tue 18 Oct 2011
at 11:33
Re: Holding the fort
"Yeah let me know what you see."  Jeff will help boost Craig up before getting down behind his rifle again.

"Command, Delta.  We've moved a little higher to get a view of the surrounding area.  Can see for a pretty good ways around.  How long do you want us up here?"

Jeff also cranes his neck to look at the support squad.  Even from this far away, using his scope he could see the frustration in everyone's faces at something.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2353 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 19 Oct 2011
at 00:30
Burning Bridges

Sniper Detachment

From the sagging roof of their apartment building, Jeff and Craig look east, towards one of the Black Legions barracks. This coincides with the departure of a heavily-laden UAZ-69- there must be at least a dozen men hanging on- from the barracks building. The UAZ heads east, away from the stadium. Before it's gone a kilometer, it disappears from sight behind some other structures. There's really no way of telling where it is going, or why, but it looks as though it is not going to be a threat to the rescue or support teams. Aside from that, and what appear to be a few small clusters of hostages still moving quickly away from the stadium area, there's really nothing more of note to see at the moment.

Rescue Team + Part of the Support Team

At the keep, Minh respondes to Mariusz's plan with a polite but negatory, "Let's not take any risks. Whoever's in there isn't a threat any more. Just leave them."   

Jay and Jan disarm the wounded machinegun team, capturing their valuable PKM GPMG, along with a whopping 144 rounds of ammunition for it. The wounded men put up no resistance. Also captured by the party at the stadium (and loaded into the wagon's secret compartment) are four AK-74 assault rifles, several magazines of ammo for them, and a couple of hand grenades (see OOC tag for totals). There's probably more, but it would take too long to go searching for the bodies to whom it is still attached.

Pawel leads the wagon full of wounded out of the stadium and to the bunker, where Orso, Tucker are waiting. Along the way, about a dozen former hostages drop out of line and high-tail it for cover. No one tries to stop him.

When the rescue team arrives at the site of the pulverized HMG bunker overlooking the river and the footbridge, the team medic, Monika, is no longer waiting there to treat the injured. Not wanting to start any more drama, she- along with Piotr and Flemming- is crossing the foot bridge with Dawid, as ordered.

On the bodies of the men he most likely killed, Tucker finds two AK-74s in good working order, along with several magazines and a couple of Soviet RGD fragmentation grenades (see OOC tag for totals). The weapons and ammo in the riverside bunker are in bad shape and are consequently not recovered.

Remainder of the Support Team

Dawid leads Piotr, Flemming, and Monika out onto the foot bridge. The name is misleading- it's really the tattered and oft-repaired skeleton of an earlier road bridge, still tall enough to allow vessels the size of the Wisla Krolowa to pass underneath, but it's extremely narrow in places- no more than a couple of meters wide for long stretches.

It's a dizzying journey and all are relieved to be back on solid ground when they safely reach the west bank. There is no one waiting there to greet them, but the quartet can feel that they are being watched, likely from some of the rubble about 100m or so to the west.

Before he left on his frightening trek across the foot bridge, Flemming issued a warning to everyone on the net,

"All elements, the Baron's redeployed his forces and on the way back to town. Sounds like he's bringing most of his armor with him. He'll be back in the city within an hour or two."

OOC: All together, the unit has captured six AK-74s, 18 full mags for them, 6 frags, and the afore mentioned PKM + ammo. It's all currently in the wagon.

Butterfly is waiting offisite in her Zil and the Queen is still on standby.



Updated Tac-map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...6&mid=1318984311


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:12, Wed 19 Oct 2011.

Arturo 'Orso' Ottenebrato
 player, 68 posts
 Sergente Maggiore Capo
 Paracadutisti Incursori
Wed 19 Oct 2011
at 02:05
Re: Holding the fort
From his position covering Tucker, Orso waved the refugees over the bridge the moment the signal arrived the western end was safe. Although the armed men he'd observed remained somewhat of a threat and he personally believed were the baron's forces, there seemed little choice but to begin the crossing after word of the approaching armoured force came through.
"Captain," he called in greeting to Konrad.
"Secure at this end. Potential hostiles at the other, but I dont think they'll want to fight after what's happened over here."
"You want to take the food stores now?"

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2504 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 19 Oct 2011
at 02:57
Re: Burning Bridges
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #861):

At the far end of the bridge, Dawid set up the PKM on its bipod. There wasn't a lot of time to act, the hostages were on the way.

"Fleming, SITREP to the Kaptain: Bridge secured. In close to unknown parties at far end, will attempt to contact. If they are friendly, will set up aid station on this end of the bridge."

Leaving the GPMG where it was, Dawid stood up and waved to the unseen watchers. He said, in Polish,

"Who are you with? We are evacuating the hostages that were kept in the stadium!"

If they were going to shoot him, then let them shoot!
Jan Cerny
 player, 1118 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 19 Oct 2011
at 11:33
Re: Burning Bridges
As he approached the Captain, Jan issued a couple of orders to the members of his team.  "Mariusz, see if any of these former hostages wish to join us.  Do not give them an AK yet but let us see if we can increase our numbers.  Minh, I want your second opinion on whether they are worth recruiting!"

Jan then turned to the Gurkha.  "Jay, give the one and a half belts of PKM ammo to Dawid for the moment and retrieve your RPG launcher.  We can decide about setting up a second machinegun later."

As Jan reached Konrad he bowed his head briefly by the body of Matias and said a very quick prayer to himself in French before speaking to the Captain.  While he spoke to Konrad he reloaded his rifle with a fresh magazine and then moved a couple of rounds from one partially full magazine to another, refilling one and leaving himself with just one short mag.  "Capitaine, if any of the hostages wish to fight with us do you want us to recruit and arm them?  Also if you have any loose five five six rounds I could use them please."  After Konrad had answered him Jan then lent in close to whisper quietly to his commander about the alarming radio transmissions he had heard.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:51, Wed 19 Oct 2011.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1519 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 19 Oct 2011
at 13:47
Re: Burning Bridges
Upon reaching the riverbank, Bayer lowers to one knee and pulls out his map to get an idea about the area. He then listens to Orso, his eyes alternating between the Italian and over to the west bank where the rest of support is. It's obvious though that he's quite distracted with the messages coming in over his radio and getting everyone to safety, rather than dealing with staffing issues at the moment. Folding up the map when he's done, Bayer rises and says, "I'll deal with support later... not now. Until then, Sergeant Ottenebrato you are to link up with Cerny and his group."

Bayer then toggles his radio and replies to the two messages that just came in for him, "Sunray. Delta, roger, hold for two more minutes and then RV at the bridge. Charlie, roger that. Let me know asap if friendly. Out."

By this point, Jan and his group are arriving and after turning to the Czech, Bayer answers him, "Ja, see who is willing and fit to fight." He then digs into his small pack and hands Jan three fully loaded magazines. "Here."

Then after listening quietly to Jan, he nods and says, "Already done." Bayer then leaves him to complete the transfer of Orso over to his command.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:49, Wed 19 Oct 2011.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1121 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 19 Oct 2011
at 13:51
Re: Burning Bridges
"Merci," Jan had commented to Konrad in gratitude for the three mags.

Receiving his instructions he nodded his understanding and then strode over to Orso.

"Orso.  You are to join my squad now.  Understand that with us you are not a squad leader.  You are an ordinary soldier and you must follow orders.  If you cannot follow orders then we will not allow you to continue with us so please make your decision.  You are, I think, a good fighter so please follow orders and work with us.  If you can not then this is a big battlefield so please find a different part of it to us.  What is your decision?  Will you join my squad and follow my orders like a well trained soldier or must we part ways now?"

Jan also took the opportunity to clear his jammed PM-84 SMG and reload the mag with three rounds.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:02, Wed 19 Oct 2011.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 156 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Wed 19 Oct 2011
at 13:55
Re: Burning Bridges
Jan Cerny:
Jan then turned to the Gurkha.  "Jay, give the one and a half belts of PKM ammo to Dawid for the moment and retrieve your RPG launcher.  We can decide about setting up a second machinegun later."


Jay nodded before ditching the captured grenades and the PKM. He holstered the pistol and then slung the ammo belts over his shoulder, before picking up his AK74 once more. He headed off in a quick job, looking for Dawid's team.

Upon finding him he spoke quickly. "Mister Davidji, I got belts for your machinegun. We got another PKM back with the Kapitan if you need. Please to have back my rocket launcher now please." With that he handed over the ammunition, retrieved his RPG and ammo, and headed back to Jan for more instructions.

When possible he will also return the borrowed pistol to Tuck, unused. H&K MK-23 SOCOM w. [3] full 12 round mags, holster, & silencer

This message was last edited by the player at 14:05, Wed 19 Oct 2011.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 962 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 19 Oct 2011
at 18:45
Re: Burning Bridges
Mariusz nodded and jumped on to the wagon, "People of Warsaw!" he yelled, his eyes blazing with a combination of youthful zeal and the adrenaline of coming out of a fight that he had feared would be a total blood bath, "you are free to go home to your families but for those of you who wish to finally be free of the yoke of the Black Bastard I urge you to join us! We are the spearpoint of a unit intent on destroying him and staking his Black Heart for all to see. Join us and be the anvil that crushes the nuts of the Baron and his lickspittle lackies."

"Together we can destroy him and those that join will help us take our pick of the spoils left by the Black Bastard's fall."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1128 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 19 Oct 2011
at 19:18
Re: Burning Bridges
Mrityunjay Byanjankar:
When possible he will also return the borrowed pistol to Tuck, unused. H&K MK-23 SOCOM w. [3] full 12 round mags, holster, & silencer

Tucker nods and takes the weapon back from the Jay.  "Thanks Jay.  I'm glad you didn't have to use it!"

Tucker stands next to Orso as he talks to Konrad.  Not interupting either one, Robert waits until the conversation is over, Orso goes with Jan, and then asks Konrad,

Frank passes off the two weapons, magazines, and grenades to Jan and his team and then moves up with the rest of the support group and Dawid.  "You need some ammo Jan or are you good?"

Moving up to Dawid.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:33, Wed 19 Oct 2011.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1521 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 19 Oct 2011
at 19:31
Re: Burning Bridges
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #869):

Bayer gives Tucker a affirming nod.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1124 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 19 Oct 2011
at 21:01
Re: Burning Bridges
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
"You need some ammo Jan or are you good?"

"I am good now my friend, thank you," replied Jan.
Minh Quyen
 player, 583 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 20 Oct 2011
at 02:34
Re: Burning Bridges
Jan Cerny:
As he approached the Captain, Jan issued a couple of orders to the members of his team.  "Mariusz, see if any of these former hostages wish to join us.  Do not give them an AK yet but let us see if we can increase our numbers.  Minh, I want your second opinion on whether they are worth recruiting!"


"Right." Quyen answers.

She then moves in between the civilians, sizing them up and mentally identifying the ones that looked the fittest and least scared. She also tried to look each on in the eye, judging their reaction. There could be no flip flopping on the decision to take up arms against the Baron's ruthless thugs.

Then after trying to get a count of the best physically and mentally fit options, she asks in English, "Anyone speak English? Speak English? English... you understand?"

Knowing that the group won't be sticking around for long, Quyen hurries things up and quietly speaks to Mariusz, giving him her suggestions on who seemed like a good idea to recruit... and who should just go home and be thankful they are still alive.
Arturo 'Orso' Ottenebrato
 player, 71 posts
 Sergente Maggiore Capo
 Paracadutisti Incursori
Thu 20 Oct 2011
at 05:37
Rebuilding Bridges
Jan Cerny:
"Orso.  You are to join my squad now.  Understand that with us you are not a squad leader.  You are an ordinary soldier and you must follow orders.  If you cannot follow orders then we will not allow you to continue with us so please make your decision.  You are, I think, a good fighter so please follow orders and work with us.  If you can not then this is a big battlefield so please find a different part of it to us.  What is your decision?  Will you join my squad and follow my orders like a well trained soldier or must we part ways now?"

You I can work with, but don't forget I am not ordinary." The special forces patch and master sergeant rank on his shoulder was quite evident if tattered.
"If you make good orders, not act like that asshole and we have no problem. You screw up, I will tell you. Fair?"
Hefting his grenade launcher he looked eastward towards the expected line of enemy approach.
"Where do you want me?"

Edit: to remove the word "racist" from Orso's IC comment about Dawid

This message was last edited by the player at 05:58, Thu 20 Oct 2011.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 413 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 20 Oct 2011
at 06:03
Re: Rebuilding Bridges

Craig continued to scan the surrounding area from his elevated position. He trained the binoculars on there next target, the food storage area. He knows the general direction and location so tries to pick it out.

He also relays all he has seen to Warren so he is able to past it along to the Captain. He also adds;

"Ask them if they want us to move off towards the next target or to link up with the support squad."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2507 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 20 Oct 2011
at 11:37
Re: Burning Bridges
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #869):

Still waving at the ruins where he thought the watchers were located, Dawid took off his helmet and put on his green Polish infantry beret.


"Right now, we have to either make sure this rickety bridge is safe to cross or determine if enemies are blocking the way. I'm going to force the issue, move forward and make personal contact. If I go down, then the unit is yours. I suggest a smoke screen and advance, but it would of course be your call. Wish me luck!"

Leaving the PKM with Tucker and armed with a Stechkin and a couple grendes, Dawid crossed himself and kissed his Rosary. Putting it back into his battle dress under his body armour and lifchik he began to walk towards where he believed the other men had gone to ground.

"God, Jesus and the Black Madonna protect and me and allow us to deliver these people safely..."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:35, Thu 20 Oct 2011.