Ch. 17: The Battle of Warsaw (Part II)   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1197 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 13 Dec 2011
at 12:20
Re: Battle for the Granary
In an attempt to stay off the radio Jan called down to Konrad with a question.

"Capitaine, do you want me and Jay to go tank hunting with the last rocket?  Or do you want us to stay here?"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 580 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 13 Dec 2011
at 18:21
Re: Battle for the Granary
Griet looked back down the chasm like channel of the road. It had seemed a good idea to move to face the convoy, but in their eagerness to get the ideal position, they had forgotten how far they had strayed from any mutual support. She rubbed her forehead and looked at her team.

"Link up the HE to the bottom of the HEDP belt," she said, "we will wait for the M113s to pass and engage the MTLB with the first few bursts. After that spray the area until the gun is empty and then we run as fast and as far as we can. If the enemy discover us first, engage the nearest vehicle, cause what damage we can and then execute plan RLF (Run like fuck). Is that clear?"

She got on the radio and said, "Sunray, this is Queen, the lead vehicle of the convoy is 150 meters from us, two M113s then the MTLB then the T72 then a truck. We will try to wait and engage the MTLB but we'll hit what we can if we're rumbled. Once we've shot our load we'll run and try and circle around to support you but don't count on us. Shall I call in mortar fire from Daddy to hit the rear of the convoy?
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 993 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 13 Dec 2011
at 18:26
Re: Battle for the Granary
"Don't worry," Mariusz said, "you're indestructable, you took on a the tank that killed that stupid Italian monkey and lived, this is a piece of cake. Beside, you owe me a 40mm grenade, you can't die a debtor, it's against the rules."

Mariusz readied himself to do whatever needed to be done. He looked at the others and said, "Once this is over the monkey's shotgun is mine, don't get a scratch on it."

He smiled impishly knowing that they had ridden their luck for too long and that his chances of survival were slim, still, he would fall in his home city and intended to die with his enemy's heart beating feebly in his clenched fist.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1569 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 15 Dec 2011
at 16:35
Re: Battle for the Granary
Griet Niewiadomska:
She got on the radio and said, "Sunray, this is Queen, the lead vehicle of the convoy is 150 meters from us, two M113s then the MTLB then the T72 then a truck. We will try to wait and engage the MTLB but we'll hit what we can if we're rumbled. Once we've shot our load we'll run and try and circle around to support you but don't count on us. Shall I call in mortar fire from Daddy to hit the rear of the convoy?


Bayer waves a hand at Fleming acknowledging his report, then toggles the transmit button and replies to Griet, "Sunray. You need to act now... your position is known. Engage the lead vehicles with maximum firepower and withdraw immediately. Over."

Bayer then eyes how the enemy's approach narrows into a defile as it cross the overpass, and says over the radio, "Two and Three Sections hold position and do not fire. Anticipate engagement when enemy crosses bridge on my command. Stay on your assigned floor but redeploy any anti-armor weapons with a visible signature to another position after firing. Over."

Then before signing off again to clear the airwaves, he replies to Dawid, "Roger, just keep a set of eyes watching from movement from the barracks. Over."

Bayer will then insert an HEDP round into his launcher.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 581 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 15 Dec 2011
at 20:21
Re: Battle for the Granary
"Roger that, Sunray," Griet replied, "we've been spotted," she said to her team. "Fire the grenade launcher as quickly as possible, cause as much damage as you can, once it's empty fallback through this building."

Griet settled by the belt of the MK-19 to make sure that it fed as smoothly as possible, "Fire."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2435 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 16 Dec 2011
at 00:24
Re: Battle for the Granary

Support/Depth

Despite a near total lack of experience with the Mk-19, Arkadiusz gamely lines up a shot on the lead M113. With Griet's encouragement and prompting, the Pole opens up with a five grenade burst. The M113 is enveloped is an erruption of small explosions- it appears that at least one of the high velocity 40mm HEDP rounds strikes home. Attempting to do as much damage as possible, and heartened by his apparent success, Arkadiusz squeezes off a second burst. The results are nearly identical, with one fifth of the grenades hitting their intended target. The M113 keeps pressing forward for about another 20m or so before lurching to a halt. Smoke is pouring out of its front end; it changes from white to grey to black in a matter of seconds. (-10 rounds HVHEDP)

The second M113 fights back. It's own AGL- a Soviet model AGS-17- coughs up a burst of high explosive grenades, lobbing them towards Griet's position in shallow arc. Griet just has time to duck and cover before being knocked over by the consussive blasts of their impact. The room in which she and her squad are positioned fills with smoke and dust. She yells out to her companions, trying to find out if they're OK. Both men reply in the affirmative. They're all slightly shaken but, as yet, no one has been perforated. With Griet in the lead, Arkadiusz and x drag the Mk-19 back away from the opening through which it had been firing. Just as they reach the interior doorway leading deeper into the building, a second barrage of 30mm HE grenades hits. One of them passes through the exterior wall and explodes inside. Both men go down screaming as the room instantly fills with acrid smoke and the smell of hot metal. Griet is briefly buffeted by the explosion but, being just outside the room when it occured, unwounded.

Sections 2 & 3 and HQ

From a distance, you watch as the Mk-19 team sets the lead M113 on fire with two burst of 40mm HEDP. You also watch as the second M113 pastes Griet's position with its own pair of AGL bursts. It continues on through the dust and smoke produced by the Mk-19 team's initial success, followed by the MTLB. About a half-dozen troops dismount from the disabled and burning M113 and run into cover on the east side of Saska road.

The second M113 (now in the lead position) stops about 75m further on and fires a third burst into the rebel held building. It's own team of dismounts unasses the APC and heads right for Griet's last known position. They will have to find a way into the building on the ground floor (Griet is on an upper floor).

Snipers

Warren and Craig carefully settle in, taking care not to make their presence known. Looking through their scopes, they spot a couple of men in granary's upper floors presumably looking for them over their rifles. As before, the MG teams on the roof of the granary are only periodically presenting their heads and shoulders, disappearing and reappearing at random intervals. If the snipers were on the roof of their building, they'd likely have a better angle from which to engage the enemy MG teams.

Section 1

Dawid, Mariusz, and their militia/rebel allies settle in to cover the right flank. Dawid's caution pays off as Mariusz spots a small force of enemy infantry milling around a building to the SE. It looks like they are preparing to make a run across the road to join their comrades in the granary. At the moment, they're about 150m away, in partial cover behind some rubble.


Updated Tac-map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...e6dc663a4b&msa=0


Next Moves?
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1570 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 16 Dec 2011
at 00:58
Re: Battle for the Granary
Bayer squeezes the transmit button hard in his gloved hand, "Griet! Get out of there now!" Then after a short pause, "Report! Griet... report."

Bayer then lowers himself from his observation point, desperately wanting to support his depth element, but not wanting to spoil his group's positions. Then remembering the tug, he shouts over his shoulder, "Flemming up here now! Sehr schnell!" When the American arrives, Bayer switches the frequency on his manpack to that of the tug and requests mortar support. "Queen, this is Bayer. Need mortar fire now!" Then glancing at Adam's map tucked into the transparent sleave attached to his rifle stock, Bayer reads off the target info, "Grid 422 010... direction 300 mills. One round for adjust."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:59, Fri 16 Dec 2011.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2647 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 16 Dec 2011
at 02:03
Re: Battle for the Granary
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #162):

quote:
Dawid, Mariusz, and their militia/rebel allies settle in to cover the right flank. Dawid's caution pays off as Mariusz spots a small force of enemy infantry milling around a building to the SE. It looks like they are preparing to make a run across the road to join their comrades in the granary. At the moment, they're about 150m away, in partial cover behind some rubble.


He saw the group mustering to the SE. Dawid set up the PKM, scanning the target with his binoculars.

"Okay, we'll give them a little time to get into the open. If we open up now, then they can put down covering fire on our position. Euzebiusz is with me as my loader and assistant. Mariusz, you take Ireniusz, he has the HEAT rifle grenade. Plus the other two militia. They are under your command."

"The plan is we'll let them get halfway across, then open fire. Once I give the order, we will relocate northwards."



Dawid Piotrowski
PKM GPMG (100/100 + 44)
SE Corner of building, ground floor.
Aiming for Opportunity Fire.

Note: displacement will be N, midway along the building's E side, still on ground floor.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 447 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 16 Dec 2011
at 04:34
Re: Battle for the Granary

"Bugger this for a joke, I can't get a target."

Craigs frustrations where mounting, he tried to remain calm.

"Lets see if we can get onto the roof, should be able to get a better angle."

He then grabs his gear and heads for the stairs up.

Sniper Element
Moving on up

AK-74/BG-15 (45/45) + 5x45 (1/1 HE) + 5x40mm HE - At shoulder
Mosin–Nagant Model 1891/30 (3/5)- 4x PE Scope - held at arms length
Browning HP (18/20) w/ silencer + 2x20 - holstered
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 7
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 216 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Fri 16 Dec 2011
at 10:03
Re: Battle for the Granary
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #162):

After conducting a brief search of the body, Jay left the AK and mags he found as he had enough firepower already. He followed Jan and took up a suitable firing position. Settling into good cover, he made sure his weapon was ready and that the RPG was properly loaded and available to fire.
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1200 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 16 Dec 2011
at 14:32
Re: Battle for the Granary
"We hold position and do not fire until ordered to," Jan said to Jay, relaying Konrad's orders to ensure that there was no confusion.  "Keep the RPG ready but let us wait to try to hit the tank.  If we engage keep ready for an order to quickly relocate as we need to stay mobile."  He also re-assessed the room that he and Jay were in to check whether it was large enough to safely fire the RPG-7 from.

Jan then turned to Artur and Pawel and repeated the instructions in Polish for their benefit, making sure that they understood.  While he spoke he opened the breech of his M203 and removed the HE round he had had loaded, switching it for an HEDP round.


Jan
Relaying Konrad's orders in both English and Polish, re-assessing the room he and Jay are in to be certain that it is safe to fire the RPG-7 from and reloading his M203 with an HEDP round.
F88 Steyr AUG (30/30 rounds - 7 mags & some loose rounds in total) - held
 - Underslung M203 (1/1 HEDP - 6x HE, 2x HEDP & 1x ILLUM total)
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15 rounds - 4 mags total) - holster
Frag Grenade x4

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1178 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 17 Dec 2011
at 02:30
Re: Battle for the Granary
Tucker gets his team up to their floor and tries to find the best firing position to cover thebridge appraoch the Konrad told them to cover.  "We set up here.  When I get the word to fire, I'll let you know and then will kick it off with my grenade launcher.  We don't have anything really heavy besides my grenade launcher so we'll concentrate on troops.  If it looks like it's getting real bad, displace to a different firing position.  I don't think the Boss plans on leaving the building until it's over or we're dead."

Robert double checks that he has the HEDP still in the tube, closing it and then getting out his binoculars so he can see what is going on.

TUCKER
M-16A2 [31/30] / M-203 [HEDP] - {READY WEAPON} Safety 'OFF'
Browning HP-35 [13/13] SAFETY 'ON' Cocked & locked
H&K SOCOM (Suppressed) [12/12] SAFETY 'ON'
Kevlar Vest/Helmet

This message was last edited by the player at 02:31, Sat 17 Dec 2011.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 994 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 17 Dec 2011
at 09:51
Re: Battle for the Granary
Mariusz nodded and readied his rifle, he looked at the others and said, "OK, you heard the Boss, no shooting until he does."

Mariusz
AK-74 30/30
Overwatch

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 582 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 17 Dec 2011
at 21:38
Re: Battle for the Granary
Griet coughed at the dust and plaster dislodged by the assault on her position. For a moment, her natural selfishness warred with the sense of comradeship she had with the two GK militiamen. She had been deliberately getting to know the men and winning them over in case she had needed to take over the Queen. Now she found herself caring for them, especially Eskadiusz who had been so proud that his wife had borne him their first child.

"Shit," she said to herself, forcing back the urge to run and looking in through the door, "can you hear me?"

As she looked at the two injured men she tried her radio, "Queen to Sunray, both militia casualties and am under heavy fire. Unit must be considered combat ineffective. Look to your defence, I'll do what I can here."

"Fool," she thought to herself wondering if her father's Quixotism was catching.

Griet
AK-74 30/30
BG-1 1/9
Checking the two injured GK men.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 23:20, Sat 17 Dec 2011.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2436 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 17 Dec 2011
at 23:42
Re: Battle for the Granary

Support

Griet peers into the smoke-filled room, trying to assess her two comrades' wounds. The first response to her querry is a cough and loud moan from Arkadiuz. Michel doesn't respond at all. She can just make out his inert form, curled up on the far side of the Mk-19. Arkadiuz is on the near side. He rolls over and holds his hand up to his face. There's blood on it.

"Fucking hell! My arm."

He pushes himself up to his knees using only his right arm and crawls awkardly through the doorway. The Mk-19 with its 5 remaining HVHEDP is just inside the room with Michel, who is likely either unconscious or dead. The enemy have stopped firing into this part of the building.

HQ and Sections 2 & 3

It's hard to just sit and watch as a comrade is under attack, but Konrad is right- opening fire from this range will likely accomplish little except for revealing their positions to the enemy who, at the moment, have a decided edge in firepower. As the T-72 and cargo truck move past the burning M113, Flemming arrives with the team's most powerful radio and Konrad duly makes contact with the queen. Luckily for the folks on the ground, Anneka, without being instructed to do so, had the foresight to move the tug into a position from which it can support the attack on the granary. She passes along Konrad's fire mission request to the team on the Vasilek automortar. 30 seconds later, the first [spotting] 82mm HE round explodes in the middle of x avenue, about 40m south of the Black Legion's sole operational M113.

Snipers

Craig leads the way as the sniper team displaces and shifts to the roof. Keeping low, they crawl out onto the flat roof through an open access door. There are two bodies on the east side of the roof, one missing most of its head. Another pair of rebels lies low about 15m north of the bodies, behing the low walll that surrounds the roof. They're making no apparent effort to engage the enemy in/on the granary. Attempting to fire over the wall will certainly invite a violent enemy response.

Section 3

The enemy squad mustering to reinforce the granary begins to move across the street in one large body. They move diagonally, apparently unaware of Dawid and Mariusz and their section in the building southwest of the granary.


Updated Tac-map:http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...e6dc663a4b&msa=0


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:58, Sat 17 Dec 2011.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 374 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Sun 18 Dec 2011
at 04:42
Re: Battle for the Granary
Jeff spits in frustration once they reach the roof.  The position was good but there was a solid bet they'd get their heads shot off too trying to get a target.  Sizing up the pair of rebels, an idea begins to form, and he leans in to Craig so just he can hear him. "We could use those two to draw their fire, or send them back in to one of the rooms we were just in.  Even money we can convince the enemy that they're us, or at least get them to look away while we take the shot.  How's your polish?"

He looks over at the pair of rebels, who had seen them crawl onto the roof.  "You two, speak English, sprechensie Deutsch, govaryut pa-russkie?" he'll also raise his eyebrow to Craig in case he speaks Polish or any other hidden language.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 583 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 18 Dec 2011
at 10:25
Re: Battle for the Granary
Griet's heart beat slowed a little, at least Arkadiusz, the new father was still up and moving, "Head down the hall that way," she said, pointing toward the opposite end of the building, "I'll check Michel out and catch you up. If I don't, hide until the end of the battle. Take this."


She handed him her pistol and went back to try and see if Michel was alive of dead. Her heart beat faster again, all this humanitarian shit took time, if she'd remained a hard assed bitch she'd have been out of here by now. That's the danger of becoming a Daddy's Girl, she thought as she shook Michel.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 995 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 18 Dec 2011
at 10:27
Re: Battle for the Granary
Mariusz held his fire, waiting for the ambush to begin before adding his fire to the killing zone.

Mariusz
Ak-74 30/30
BG-1  0/1
In cover
Waiting to fire after Dawid starts

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2649 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 18 Dec 2011
at 10:58
Re: Battle for the Granary
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg #174):

The targets were in the open, about 70-80m away.

"When I fire, everyone else fires too! Ireniuesz, save that rifle grenade for now! Ready..."

He opened up.


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM GPMG (100/100 + 44)
SE Corner of building, ground floor.
Firing long bursts, targets 70m away in street to ESE.

Note: displacement will be N, midway along the building's E side, still on ground floor.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:14, Mon 19 Dec 2011.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 448 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 19 Dec 2011
at 05:42
Re: Battle for the Granary
In reply to Jeff D. Warren (msg #172):

"I see what you mean, lets send them downstairs anything has got to be better then what they are doing now."

He though for a minute then added:

"Idą do następnej podłogi i ogień na dachu. Tak możemy brać & poza. Diwersja."*

Once they had gone down Craig readied his grenade launcher and waited for the firing to begin. He intended to fire the grenade then to fire bursts at the machine gun team. Craig will try to use as much cover as there is on the roof.

*Go to the next floor and fire on the roof. So we can take them out. Diversion.

Sniper Element
Firing on MG on grainery roof

AK-74/BG-15 (45/45) + 5x45 (1/1 HE) + 5x40mm HE - At shoulder
Mosin–Nagant Model 1891/30 (3/5)- 4x PE Scope - held at arms length
Browning HP (18/20) w/ silencer + 2x20 - holstered
F-1 FRAG Grenade x 7
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 219 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Mon 19 Dec 2011
at 09:10
Re: Battle for the Granary
Jay held fired, waiting for the order to engage.
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1202 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 19 Dec 2011
at 13:48
Re: Battle for the Granary
Jan stayed in his position, watching the situation in the street nearby develop further, hoping that the mortar would do some damage.

"Czekać*," he muttered quietly to Artur and Pawel.


Jan
Holding position and waiting for the order to engage.
F88 Steyr AUG (30/30 rounds - 7 mags & some loose rounds in total) - held
 - Underslung M203 (1/1 HEDP - 6x HE, 2x HEDP & 1x ILLUM total)
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15 rounds - 4 mags total) - holster
Frag Grenade x4

* "Wait"

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 996 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 19 Dec 2011
at 15:51
Re: Battle for the Granary
Mariusz heard Dawid fire and added ten rounds from his AK-74 to the mix.

Mariusz
AK-74 30/30
BG-1 0/1
Two 5 round bursts at the men crossing

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 375 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Tue 20 Dec 2011
at 02:20
Re: Battle for the Granary
Jeff's hand moves to his pistol. He's more than willing to draw it and use it to persuade the rebels to move, Commissar style.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1572 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 21 Dec 2011
at 17:07
Re: Battle for the Granary
Relieved to hear Adam's daughter's voice still on the airwaves, Bayer depresses the transmit button and says, "Copy Griet... you need to move now. Over." He hoped she caught the added stress he put on the message and what it implied.

Bayer then watches as the first mortar round detonated in the street, short of the lead vehicle. He then made the calculation needed to put the next one slightly over to the east where he expected the vehicles to progress to. "Queen, Bayer. Right... ten. Standby for next shot. Over."

Bayer will then wait until the lead vehicle is just about to enter his target zone, thus by his estimation of the flight time, hopefully land in the middle of the column. If there weren't many exposed infantry however, he'll forgo the shot and save what few rounds are left for when they dismount... probably at their doorstep.

"Flemming... anything else?" he shouts over his shoulder.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:38, Wed 21 Dec 2011.