Ch. 18-1: Plock.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2510 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 20 Apr 2012
at 00:02
Ch. 18: Plock

A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.

John Steinbeck

-
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2511 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 20 Apr 2012
at 00:36
Ch. 18: Plock

Monday, November 20, 2000
0900 hrs.
44F
Slightly cloudy skies; slight breeze from the northeast
Vistula River, 10km north of Warsaw, Poland



For the first time in quite a while, the entire Kommando is aboard the Wisla Krolowa. For the first time since you first boarded the tough old river tug, her master, Old Adam Rataj is not sitting in the captain's seat. In fact, he's not aboard at all. Griet Niewiadomska, Adam's daughter from an extra-marital affair, is now in command of the vessel, charged with taking the Kommando at least as far as the Vistula Estuary, where the river meets the Baltic Sea.

It takes you a while to get used to the motion of the river tug. It's not marked enough to cause sea sickness, but it is a bit unsettling after so long on dry land.

The tug is looking ship-shape. The crew, with the assistance of a handful of Gora-Kalwaria townsfolk, spent quite a few hours making repairs and cleaning her from stem-to-stern. Her dozens of battle scars have been erased by fresh paint. The mighty Vasilek auto-mortar is once again on the Krolowa's foredeck. In place of the Mk-19 AGL (lost in Warsaw), formerly mounted on the raised quarterdeck aft of the main stack, the tug sports an AGS-17 AGL and a PKM for rear defense. The quarterdeck's old awning, shredded by shrapnel from a helicopter-fired aerial rocket, has been replaced by a new awning custom-made by the people of Gora Kalwaria.

The tug steams slowly down the river. The temperature is not yet below freezing again, but with the wind chill, it sure feels like it is. The river is relatively narrow here, and the countryside is wild and empty on both banks, the tragic legacy of the Baron's river corsairs. All of the riverside settlements you pass immediately downriver of Warsaw are either entirely bereft of human habitation or razed to the ground. Local fauna appear to have reclaimed much of this land. In the streets of one small abandoned hamlet not far from the east bank of the river, you watch a herd of large deer loiter, seemingly unconcerned by your passage. A few kilometers on, over on the west bank, you witness a small wolf pack gorging on a large prey animal in a clearing by the mouth of a small tributary.

This first day of the next leg of your journey down the Vistula is one for reestablishing on-board routines and relationships. There are watch and duty schedules to iron out, various weapons and mechanical systems to refamiliarize yourself with, and a multitude of dangers to be on guard for.


Next Moves?

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:40, Fri 20 Apr 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1621 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 20 Apr 2012
at 02:11
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Once the tug was underway, Bayer had Lt.Sutherland muster the platoon on the deck. Getting back into old habits, it was time once again for everyone to be assigned to the various heavy weapons. Unlike previous times on the Queen, Bayer decided to change things up a little, creating two battle station rotations. This was to keep everyone familiar with the different types of weaponry aboard... and to a lesser extent, switch up those who would otherwise end up in the usually more passive and safer aft positions. For those few Kommandos with specialized skills, such as Dawid however, their placement was pretty much guaranteed to be in one place.

PositionRoto 1-----PositionRoto 2
BridgeBayer-----BridgeBayer
BridgeGriet-----BridgeGriet
BridgeDaniel-----BridgeDaniel
Vasilek No.1Dawid-----Vasilek No.1Dawid
Vasilek No.2Mariusz-----Vasilek No.2Jay
Port DSHKCraig-----Port DSHKTucker
Starb. DSHKJan-----Starb. DSHKQuyen
Qrtr.Deck AGSJay-----Qrtr.Deck AGSCraig
Aft PKMTucker-----Aft PKMJan
Crows Nest Jeff-----Crows NestJeff
Crows NestQuyen-----Crows NestMariusz


"The rotation taskings will change daily... Roto One for odd days and Roto Two will be on even days. Excluding the bridge crew, the order listed will also be the sentry roster, with one on duty during daylight hours and doubled up during the evening." Bayer explains.

Then with previous memories still fresh in his mind regarding the inevitable shore parties and realizing he had an disproportionate number of NCOs and officers to the men, Bayer says simply, "Shore parties will be on an ad-hoc basis, with senior squad leaders, usually two at a time, rotating between Robert, Jan, Dawid, and Lt.Sutherland."

"On ship, as just a reminder since it's been a while, Griet is chief of the boat."
he adds.

Bayer then looks around and asks, "Any issues with anything I said?"
Anneka Soleblume
 NPC, 1566 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Fri 20 Apr 2012
at 02:45
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer then looks around and asks, "Any issues with anything I said?"


Anneka raises her hand and adds, "I still haven't received skills lists from all of the new personnel."
Daniel Larue
 player, 87 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Fri 20 Apr 2012
at 03:11
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Anneka Soleblume:
Anneka raises her hand and adds, "I still haven't received skills lists from all of the new personnel."


Danny's expression goes carefully blank as he heroically avoids making eye contact with Anneka.  At least she's not still going on about having me inflict full flight physicals on everyone.

Danny
Winona [30/30] w/ 6 magazines - slung
CZ 75 [15/15] w/ 2 magazines - holstered
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

This message was last edited by the player at 12:39, Fri 20 Apr 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1291 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 20 Apr 2012
at 12:33
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Anneka Soleblume:
Anneka raises her hand and adds, "I still haven't received skills lists from all of the new personnel."

Jan couldn't stop himself from snorting in derision and asking a question of his own.  Anneka was already trying to play her who's in charge games and they'd only been away from Gora Kalwaria for one night!  Jan's dislike of the woman, that had dwindled while he was away from her, was quickly rekindled.

"More importantly Capitaine," he said to Konrad.  "What do we know about the river ahead?  Everything has been abandoned so far but do we know of any towns or villages further down river that are still occupied?  Do we have any idea how far north the Baron’s influence spread?"


Jan
AK-74 (30/30 - 30rnd mag x11) - carried
BG-15 (1/1 HE - HE x19) - underslung on AK-74
Sig Sauer P226 (15/15 - 15rnd mag x4) - holster
M72A4 LAW - slung on strap
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch

This message was last edited by the player at 15:35, Fri 20 Apr 2012.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 612 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 20 Apr 2012
at 15:32
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet sat on her chair during the conference and nodded as Bayer acknowledged her command of the boat, "The Queen will be under Kaptain Bayer's overall command at all times. I'll have ultimate responsibility for the safety of the boat, but the aim is to get you all safely to Germany or wherever else we can get you. Obviously, Gdansk is our first main target. After that, we'll see where we need to go from there."

She fingered the silver chain with the gifts that her father had left her, the saint's medal for St. Jude, a missionary's ship and St. Brendan's Dolphin tailed cross. Most precious of all was the silver locket with a photo-booth picture of Adam and her mother mugging it up for the camera in one compartment and a picture of herself at about three. She was scowling bad-temperedly at the photographer, a scowl that had rarely left her face for years. Now she was alone again, just her and the Queen.

She felt the engine thrum below her and the boat roll along in the current. She was home at last.

Griet
Tantal 30/30 (+6 mags in vest)
BG-1 1/1 HE (+14 HE in Vest)
Makarov 7/7 (+2 mags)

This message was last edited by the player at 18:11, Sat 21 Apr 2012.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 290 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sat 21 Apr 2012
at 06:10
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
As the boat chugged down river, Jay settled into the rotation. Following the training from Dawid, he spent much of his time practising with the heavy weapons, mouthing the firing noises like a child playing with a stick, but pretty soon he was familiar with their workings.

The Jewish doctor lady had annoyed him. She seemed intent on grilling everyone about their capabilities. The normally affable Gurkha had decided to play dumb though, and deliberately played down his English skills, using lots of pantomime actions to describe his abilities with RPGs, hand to hand combat and stealth. Those watching who had gotten to know him couldn't help but laugh at his performance.

As he walked away from his interrogation he tipped a wink at those watching, allowing a big grin to spread across his face.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1034 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 21 Apr 2012
at 11:57
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz smiled at Jay's antics with Soleblume. He had helped the Gurkha with his curry and knew full well that whilst he wasn't fluent in English, he was more than capable of communicating effectively.

When the man finished with the Doctor Marisuz popped his head through the door and said, "He also cooks."

Mariusz
AK-74 30/30 (+6 mags in vest)
BG-1 1/1 HE (+12 HE in vest)
M1911A1 7/7 (+2 mags on belt)

This message was last edited by the player at 18:13, Sat 21 Apr 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2729 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 21 Apr 2012
at 12:06
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Mrityunjay Byanjankar (msg #9):

Dawid returned "It's good that Anneka makes a point of knowing what we can do." He added, quietly, "at least that's something."

He fingered his own rosary.

"Kaptain, that schedule looks good. Just so you know... I've got things I need to do. I will travel with you as far as I can, and I may well come as far as Gdansk. Leave Poland? This is my home, she needs me."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2512 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 21 Apr 2012
at 22:40
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

About 40km downriver of Warsaw, the Wisla Krolowa slows markedly and unexpectedly after having experienced a loss of power in one of her engines. Seconds later, Jozef Grzyech's muffled growl sounds through the speaking tube from the engine room.

"Engine two just went down. I'll have to shut down the boilers."

Griet shouts back down the tube. "Alright, Chief, give me two minutes and then go ahead and shut them down."  Then she turns to Y and says, "Once we come about, drop the anchors."

"Aye, captain." Walter Matuziak answers. It's clear that he harbors romantic feelings for the new captain. He would have stayed aboard the tug even without the gold.

Griet spins the wheel and reverses thrust on the port side screw, bringing the tug's pug nose about to face upriver. She increases speed to hold station against the current until the anchors are deployed. She reduces power until it is clear that the anchors have taken hold, then she cuts the throttle altogether.

Considering his gruff and territorial personality, and a rather substantial language barrier, the grizzled chief engineer Josef Grzyech and the middle-aged American helicopter mechanic Adam Kellerman get along rather well. They both speak the language of gauges, levers, and wrenches and that appears to be enough. They two men work on the engine systems for about two hours before discovering the source of the problem. It takes another two hours to make the needed repairs. It was a relatively straightforward problem with a fairly easy, albeit time-consuming fix, and the chances of a reccurance are pretty low. However, by the time engine #2 is back on line, the sun is just above the western horizon. Since the tug is in no hurry, it was decided before final departure that, as SOP, the tug would not travel during hours of darkness. So, with no steam pressure and the firebox going cold, its decided to spend the night in situ. It will take at least 30 minutes to get a head of steam up and get underway again.

You settle in for your first night aboard the tug in some time. Those not on watch duty are greatful for the warm and sheltered crew accomodations below decks.

Next Moves?
Craig Sutherland
 player, 498 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 21 Apr 2012
at 22:46
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Craig decided to check both positions he would now be occupying. He moved the large DShK machine gun on its mount checking the extreme of its traverse and travel. He then familiarised himself with blockage and clearing procedures and where extra ammunition was kept.

Once satisfied he moved onto the grenade launcher. Here he had made some modifications to the protection around the position, raising the height of the sand bags while not impeding its movement.

One of the final things he attended to before leaving was to swap the handguard on his G3 for the one on Mariusz's rifle. Even thought his G3 was the sniper version of the series for some reason it did not have the handguard and bipod combination, but now it did.

When the time for his watch comes about Craig takes up the sniper position on top of the wheel house. He changes out the HE 40mm grenade for one of the illumination rounds before settling in under his scrim.

Top of wheel house.

HK G3SG/1 (w/ Zeiss 1.5-6 x 42 mm Telescopic Sight)[20/20] w/14 magazines - at his shoulder bipod deployed
Hk-69 [1/1] HE 40mmN - within arms reach
L32A1 (Browning A5) 10" Barrel [4/3] 00 Buckshot - carried
Browning HP-35 (w/ silencer) [20/20] w/2 magazines - holstered
Smoke grenade x1
Frag Grenade F1 x6
Kukri

This message was last edited by the player at 23:33, Sat 21 Apr 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2731 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 21 Apr 2012
at 23:10
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid pulled Konrad aside.

"Kaptain, a word with you?"

"The NATO personnel wish to return home, which is of course understandable, and the Queen will be of service in this. As you know, this is my home. You're also aware I'm looking for my sister, and I heard she was downstream from Warszawa."



Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
PKM GPMG (100/100 + 2 spare ammo cans)
Stechkin + 2 magazines, 2x Smoke, 2x Fragmentation, 2x Flare
WK's bridge
Talking to Bayer

Daniel Larue
 player, 89 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 22 Apr 2012
at 01:09
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Danny spends the first day learning the tug - her sounds, the rhythms of her crew, the subliminal feel of the deck when she's moving under power.  He's been aboard before, but the trip from Gora Kalwaria to Warsaw was full of preparations for a fight and the return voyage was full of patients.  It's a different experience to be on the bridge without an impending crisis, free to watch the Polish countryside slide by and observe Griet in her element.  The bridge is a bit cramped with its current complement, though, so after the second time he trips over Boots, he gives Bayer a heads-up and slips outside to begin prowling the weather deck.  He stays out there for most of the morning, occasionally exchanging conversation with the guys he can't help thinking of as door gunners.

After assisting Mariusz with lunch, a quick check with Jan yields an unclaimed pair of binoculars from the team's stores.  Danny retreats to the forward weather deck and does some thinking while he periodically scans the land around the tug.

Once the decision is made to settle in for the night, Danny seeks out Bayer and finds the CO in conversation with Dawid.  He stands off at a polite distance until the big Pole is done, then catches Bayer's attention.  "Captain... a moment, please?  Two things."

"First, when we were in G-K, Major Soleblume brought up the idea of doing a round of full physicals."  He frowns.  "I don't know if she's approached you on that yet, but I would at least like your permission to do a quick medical survey of the unit - and Griet's crew, if she doesn't object.  Knowing things like drug allergies and blood types is gonna help me later.Help me not make mistakes that kill people later, he mentally adds.

"Second thing, Sir... you said bridge crew is off sentry duty, but I'd appreciate it if you'd put me in the rotation.  I can catch up with combat naps while we're under way, and," he colors slightly but looks Bayer straight in the eye, "I don't want any of the other shooters to think I'm not pulling my weight."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:10, Sun 22 Apr 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1626 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 22 Apr 2012
at 03:06
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Although he had failed to remember to include one of Daniel's companions on the duty roster, Bayer was pleased there were no real objections or issues with it. Later that night, he'd have to adjust the list and make use of the overlooked American gunner. Hopefully soon enough, everyone would find it easy to fall back into their old routine and things would be running as they were before they departed the Queen for Warsaw.

Bayer remaines expressionless when Solemblume spoke up, not wanting to show his annoyance with her, but at the same time he does nothing about any of the unrestrained negativity that is displayed by the men. Either she got the hint now or he'd have to talk with her quietly later.

Unfortunately Bayer had nothing of value to say to Jan's query either, not at this time anyways, but hoped that perhaps some of those from Warsaw might have something to add. He then gave a look to Daniel and the female pilot, looking for any input they might have. If not, they just have to deal with whatever the Vistula could throw at them when it happened. It wasn't the best way to going about heading downstream... but they did manage to get this far.

Bayer then nods slowly at Griet, thankful for her support, and dismisses the group, not wanting to take up any more of their time. If anyways wanted to continue speaking with him, they could do privately. Then on his way back up to the bridge, Dawid is the first to do so...

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
Dawid pulled Konrad aside. "The NATO personnel wish to return home, which is of course understandable, and the Queen will be of service in this. As you know, this is my home. You're also aware I'm looking for my sister, and I heard she was downstream from Warszawa."


Bayer scratches the stubble on his chin and replies, "I can promise that we will do our best to collect any information that we can from settlements or other boats that we come across Dawid. If we can discover her whereabouts, or even rumor, then we will most certainly investigate... and do what needs to be done." He then looks at the man for a reaction on his sincere promise and asks, "Acceptable?"

Then shortly afterwards, Bayer turns his attention to Daniel...

Daniel Larue:
"First, when we were in G-K, Major Soleblume brought up the idea of doing a round of full physicals."  He frowns.  "I don't know if she's approached you on that yet, but I would at least like your permission to do a quick medical survey of the unit - and Griet's crew, if she doesn't object.  Knowing things like drug allergies and blood types is gonna help me later."


"No... no she hasn't." Bayer replies quietly about the doctor. Then impressed with the American's professional concern, he agrees without hesitation, "Of course. That's a good suggestion and uhh... I think it would be better received by the unit if it was conducted by you anyways." Bayer then adds, "You might also want to canvas the unit and see what other medical supplies are floating around. We had an old SOP for everyone to carry at least one field dressing for self aid, but some of the group might need to be reissued any that were used up in Warsaw."

Daniel Larue:
"Second thing, Sir... you said bridge crew is off sentry duty, but I'd appreciate it if you'd put me in the rotation.  I can catch up with combat naps while we're under way, and," he colors slightly but looks Bayer straight in the eye, "I don't want any of the other shooters to think I'm not pulling my weight."


On this Bayer thinks for a moment, mulling things over, before saying, "That should be fine. The bridge crew was excluded since they'd be on duty whenever the boat was traveling, but that doesn't necessarily apply to you specifically." He then nods and says, "Sure. Not a problem."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2732 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 22 Apr 2012
at 09:05
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer scratches the stubble on his chin and replies, "I can promise that we will do our best to collect any information that we can from settlements or other boats that we come across Dawid. If we can discover her whereabouts, or even rumor, then we will most certainly investigate... and do what needs to be done." He then looks at the man for a reaction on his sincere promise and asks, "Acceptable?"


Dawid came to attention and, seeing they were inside, saluted.

"Yes, sir. Apologies, I don't mean to take up any more time." It looked like others needed the Kaptain's attention and he had no further requests.

After, he sought Jan out.

"Thank you, my friend, for the cigarettes. You are a Godsend! I can't imagine my good-for-nothing brother doing such a thing for me. That's it, he's out of the will and you're in."

This message was last edited by the player at 09:47, Sun 22 Apr 2012.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1035 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 22 Apr 2012
at 09:25
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz looked affectionately at the bright light of the electric bulb that illuminated the galley as he picked through the food and ingredients that he'd accumulated from the granary and the Baron's personal kitchen. The herbs and spices were kept under lock and key, probably being more valuable now than the gold coins he'd been given but many people wouldn't have realised the value of one of the strains of wheat grain that he had discovered in the battle for the food store.

He placed the sack of grain on the table and opened it up before letting the amber grains run through his hands. He smiled as he remembered the instructions his mother had given him about the secrets of preparing food from the most basic of ingredients. He placed one of the looted plastic buckets under the stainless steel grinder bolted to the preparation table and then set the blades of the grinder to a precise setting only a little narrower than the grains themselves.

After some experimentation, he soon had bright yellow powder sifting from the grain as the blades ground the husks and coverings of the grains whilst leaving the bulk of the germ intact. Slowly the bucket filled with the yellow powder and after a few hours, he had a bucketful of several kilograms of the powder and a pile of white germs ready for grinding into flour. The yellow powder could be used to fortify soups as semolina or as cous-cous and polenta. He sealed the bucket and then set the blades closer together.

Now it was time for the real magic, the wheat strain was high in protein but low in gluten which made it a poor ingredient for making bread, but perfect for pasta. He hummed tunelessly to himself, imagining the pleasure the others would take from eating home made pasta rather than heavy bread and potatoes.
Daniel Larue
 player, 91 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 22 Apr 2012
at 11:45
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
"No... no she hasn't." Bayer replies quietly about the doctor. Then impressed with the American's professional concern, he agrees without hesitation, "Of course. That's a good suggestion and uhh... I think it would be better received by the unit if it was conducted by you anyways."


"Yessir.Ah ha.  So he's not immune to Doctor Feelgood's... charms... either.

Konrad Bayer:
Bayer then adds, "You might also want to canvas the unit and see what other medical supplies are floating around. We had an old SOP for everyone to carry at least one field dressing for self aid, but some of the group might need to be reissued any that were used up in Warsaw."


"I'll see to that.  Tourniquets all around, too.  I may also have some recommendations on medical SOPs once I assess the overall level of training."

Konrad Bayer:
On this Bayer thinks for a moment, mulling things over, before saying, "That should be fine. The bridge crew was excluded since they'd be on duty whenever the boat was traveling, but that doesn't necessarily apply to you specifically." He then nods and says, "Sure. Not a problem."


"Thank you, Sir."  Realizing he should probably take a cue from Dawid, Danny comes to attention and snaps Bayer a salute.  Once dismissed, he heads up the ladder in search of his first victim.  May as well get started before we get hit.  I shoulda done this last week...

OOC: Rubber gloves and intrusive questions to come in PMs!

This message was last edited by the player at 13:58, Sun 22 Apr 2012.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 613 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 22 Apr 2012
at 12:45
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Once the Queen was stable in the current and the guards were set up, Griet clambered down into the engine room. She checked in with Josef and after discussing the maintenance needed to get the boat running again she said, "Whilst the fires are out we might as well work on the fire box. I'll catch a nap now and once the box is cool enough to work in call me and I'll clean out the soot and residues."

Griet hated the dirty cramped job, but Josef was nearly three times her age and not nearly so supple, she could perform the routine task far more efficiently, she turned to the American and said, "If you want I'll talk you through the process as I do it, it'll be the sort of thing you may not have encountered before. I certainly hadn't and I'd been working on ships for years."
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1295 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 23 Apr 2012
at 20:58
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
It didn’t overly surprise Jan that Konrad didn’t have much information about what the situation was downriver from Warsaw.  The Baron had effectively blocked traffic up and down the river so information was bound to be in short supply and they would have no option but to find out for themselves and deal with things as they occurred.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
After, he sought Jan out.

"Thank you, my friend, for the cigarettes. You are a Godsend! I can't imagine my good-for-nothing brother doing such a thing for me. That's it, he's out of the will and you're in."

Jan smiled in reply.  “I am most grateful my friend.  If only you had something of value to leave me!  Something tasteful at least!”



Once the Queen had settled on its anchors Jan studied the river bank on either side with his binoculars in the fading light, judging the distance to each and any particularly good vantage points that could be used to attack the boat.  He knew next to nothing about engines so he stayed out of Griet and the other mechanics way and waited for them to fix it.  It didn't bode well that they had travelled only a few kilometres and they were already having trouble with the Queen but he was sure that they could fix it.

He knew that she had taken quite a pounding though, despite the recent coat of paint that hid most of the repairs, and Griet and her crew knew their boat well.  Jan just hoped that not having Adam on board wouldn't pose a problem - it wasn't that he lacked confidence in Griet, in fact it was quite the reverse, it was just that it felt different without the original Captain on board.

Before darkness finally settled in Jan pointed out any vantage points that he had spotted to the other guards on watch before setting in to his own position.  He had had quite a restful time over the last couple of weeks and now it was time to do some proper soldiering again.  He felt a tinge of desire for a cigarette but resisted it, smoking on duty in the dark was a bad idea, even what he was sat on a boat in the middle of a wide river.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:02, Mon 23 Apr 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2514 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 24 Apr 2012
at 00:11
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
Once the Queen was stable in the current and the guards were set up, Griet clambered down into the engine room. She checked in with Josef and after discussing the maintenance needed to get the boat running again she said, "Whilst the fires are out we might as well work on the fire box. I'll catch a nap now and once the box is cool enough to work in call me and I'll clean out the soot and residues."

Griet hated the dirty cramped job, but Josef was nearly three times her age and not nearly so supple, she could perform the routine task far more efficiently, she turned to the American and said, "If you want I'll talk you through the process as I do it, it'll be the sort of thing you may not have encountered before. I certainly hadn't and I'd been working on ships for years."


"Don't worry Chief, we cleaned out the firebox right before we left Gora Kalwaria- no sense in getting yourself all dirty again so soon. We can handle it."

Mac just smiles and nods, unsure of quite what's just transpired. "Thanks, Skipper."

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:15, Tue 24 Apr 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2515 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 24 Apr 2012
at 00:41
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

After a particular tasty dinner served up by young chef Mariusz, the Krolowa's crew and her Kommando settle into their night routines. The night is particularly dark. The moon and stars are hiding behind thick clouds. Looking aft, downriver, you can see lights in the distance. When consulted, first mate Walter Matusiak opines, "That should be Plock." It's probably no more than a hour's journey at the tug's top speed.

As the tug is no longer underway, it doesn't feel quite as cold as it did earlier in the day, although the actual temperature has gone down. Those not on watch enjoy the relative warmth of the Krolowa's interior.

The tug's crew and security force/passengers are still getting used to life on board a ship. Light discipline is inadvertently breached several times, prompting Konrad to make the rounds of the Queen to remind everyone to maintain blackout conditions at all times. Those with NODs make good use of them, periodically turning them on for a few minutes to sweep their assigned defensive sectors before switching them back off again to conserve battery life. Although the tug has a fairly effective charger, batteries, even rechargable ones, have a finite lifespan and the prospects of acquiring more are extremely thin. Even with NODs, it's hard to see very far in the near pitch black darkness. The constant motion of the steadily flowing river plays tricks on the eyes, making scanning for riverine threats that much more difficult in the dark.



Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:45, Tue 24 Apr 2012.

Minh Quyen
 player, 622 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 24 Apr 2012
at 01:34
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
After sneaking a after dinner smoke in the galley Quyen dug out her wool army sweater and threw it on over her Aidas track hoodie. It was getting colder as each day passed and she knew sooner than later that would start to be a serious issue, so she then sought out Konrad to see if he could help out. "Hauptmann. Sorry... but because of the winter there is an issue that may become a problem for me. I only have a sweater. No jacket. I almost froze in Warsaw."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1627 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 24 Apr 2012
at 02:17
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Minh Quyen:
"Hauptmann. Sorry... but because of the winter there is an issue that may become a problem for me. I only have a sweater. No jacket. I almost froze in Warsaw."


Bayer glances down at her sweater and nods, "Hmmm... don't worry. I promised Dawid we would try to gather information as we travel downriver. We'll trade for a jacket the first opportunity. In the meantime, you may use my parka when you are outside on sentry and I will also ask the others if they have a spare. Sound good for now?"



Before bunking down for the night, Bayer went around reminding the night sentries to preserve their night optics as much as possible. Same too for radios which didn't need to be on at all while on board the Queen. During his rounds, he also witnessed a few incidents of poor light discipline, which surprised him, so he firmly reminded everyone that while life aboard the tug was different than being in the field - night routine SOPs were basically the same.

Later in the night, he was awoken in his sleeping bag by the sound of a dull bump sound. Opening his eyes, he reaches for his sidearm nearby and listens, hearing the same sound again. There was no mistake this time and something was wrong. The night sentries were posted, but he new well enough that those sounds were something foreign hitting the hull.

Bayer then rose and still half dressed, crept out to the doorway and peered out into the cold night. He spotted the men in one of the boats, little more than shadows, and pushed himself up against the side of the Queen for cover. Then not willing to challenge the men he aims his P7, steadying it with both hands, at the first figure clambering over the gunwhale and squeezes off two shots.

"ALARM!" he shouts before the last shell casing hits the floor. "Stand to stand to! Prepare to repell boarders!"

Bayer will then hold fire and gauge the reaction of the unknown party.

Bayer
P7 9mmP (11/13)
Half-dressed in the doorway
Firing 2 aimed shots at closest boarder

This message was last edited by the player at 02:33, Tue 24 Apr 2012.

Daniel Larue
 player, 93 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Tue 24 Apr 2012
at 02:19
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Thoroughly unqualified to be behind a machine gun, Danny finds himself splitting a bridge watch shift with Bayer.  He takes care of the hauptmann's medical interview, then passes the time with a few quiet inquiries about the unit and some relatively safe personal questions.  Their paths didn't cross a lot in Warsaw or G-K and this is the first chance Danny's really had to get a good read on his new CO.  If Danny discovers Bayer was also a marathoner, the inevitable comparison of courses and times will no doubt occur.

After Bayer turns in, Danny restlessly prowls the bridge, occasionally stepping outside to converse with Sutherland and Tuck and relieve them so they can warm up.  He's just finished logging his 0200 weather observations when he catches motion out of the corner of his eye.  Flipping down his NVGs, he sees the boarders coming alongside.  For a moment, he's too croggled to do anything but give Craig an incredulous, almost offended look.  Are you shittin' me?

Bayer's first shot breaks Danny's paralysis.  He turns, scattering his logbook on the floor, and swipes a hand across the bank of switches that controls the work lamps for the main deck.  As the powerful lights come up, he grabs the microphone for the public address system.  "Drop your weapons, drop your fucking weapons!"

Danny
Lights and speakers that go to eleven
Winona [30/30 + 6 magazines] - laid across an adjacent seat
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

OOC: I am assuming the Queen has lights and PA as I just described (respectively, for night operations and for passing orders from the wheelhouse to the deck crew and/or other vessels).  Danny's intent is to blind and disorient the boarders more than he blinds and disorients the other PCs, hoping to defuse the fight - or at least rupture some OODA loops.  If the vessel does not, in fact, have the systems necessary for this questionable tactic, he'll waste an action remembering that fact.  Regardless, though, Danny is staying low, as the bridge is an obvious target for suppressive fire.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:58, Tue 24 Apr 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2735 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 24 Apr 2012
at 06:54
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #25):

Understanding and agreeing with Konrad's concern, Dawid went around himself and double-checked to make sure everyone was practicing light discipline. It wasn't so much the members of the Kommando; they were all used to trying to remain unseen in the field.

When the alarm was sounded he grabbed the PKM and his NVGs, headed to the main weapon at the bow.

"What side? Where?"

Reaching the bow he chambered a round into the GP-gun. Then he checked both sides. Just because they were coming up one side didn't mean they couldn't be at the other as well.

Dawid Piotrowski
PKM 100/100
Bow Vasilek Fighting Position
Checking both sides with NVGs.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:49, Tue 24 Apr 2012.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 499 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 24 Apr 2012
at 07:28
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

From his vantage point on top of the wheel house, Craig had to blink a couple of times to make sure he was not making things up.

He then grabbed one of his FRAG grenades before throwing it towards the boat on the right side, he did the same with a second grenade to the one on the left.

Throwing grenades at the boarders boats.
Top of wheel house.

HK G3SG/1 (w/ Zeiss 1.5-6 x 42 mm Telescopic Sight)[20/20] w/14 magazines
L32A1 (Browning A5) 10" Barrel [4/3]
Browning HP-35 (w/ silencer)[20/20] w/2 magazines
Smoke grenade x1
FRAG Grenade F1 x6
Kukri
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1296 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 24 Apr 2012
at 13:30
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan was quietly snoring to himself and happy in a dream about meeting Vanessa Paradis for coffee in an old fashioned café called Bar de la Marine.  It was a place he knew well on the harbour in Marseilles and they were having a very good time.  She was laughing at his jokes and kept touching his knee when she smiled at him and he had just suggested that they switch from coffee to Pastis, or Pastaga as he preferred to call it, and she had agreed.  He was hoping that their date was going to go somewhere more interesting than a café when he was rudely awoken by the sound of someone shooting, quickly followed by someone yelling something about repelling borders!

He quickly rolled out of his sleeping bag, slung his webbing over his shoulder, grabbed his rifle and ran out of the cabin and on the deck to find out what was happening.  He was sleeping in a clean pair of combat trousers and a dark grey hooded sweatshirt so the chill of the night didn’t shock him too much, though that was partly due to the adrenaline that was coursing through his veins, but he could really feel the cold deck as he went to find out what was going on.  Though he had a pair of socks on he hadn’t had time to put on his boots, let alone his body armour or helmet.

“Where are they?” he yelled in English while standing just outside the doorway to the cabin.  He scanned around trying to work out what was going on, conscious that this was just the kind of situation where people could easily end up shooting their comrades!


Jan
Grabbing weapon and ammo, exiting the cabin and trying to work out what is going on
AK-74 (30/30 - 30rnd mag x7) - carried
BG-15 (1/1 HE - HE x11) - underslung on AK-74
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Note – webbing not currently worn but is looped over shoulder

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1037 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 24 Apr 2012
at 16:07
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz wriggled out of his sleeping bag and thrust his feet into his open boots. He grabbed his rifle and vest and headed as quickly as he could for his position on deck, at some point a thought about what was going on entered his head but he thrust it away. Time to find that out after he knew if the boat was secure or not.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 614 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 24 Apr 2012
at 16:10
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet had been glad not to have to crawl into the firebox. The girder that had broken her leg had pinned her in a pocket of rubble for thirty-six hours before a search party had dug her out and even now she felt uncomfortable in tight spaces.

The noise of the alarm woke her from her sleep and she sat upright and grabbed her gun. She stood and dashed out into the corridor heading to the bridge to assess the nature of the emergency.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2737 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 24 Apr 2012
at 19:48
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Craig Sutherland (msg #28):

Seeing Craig chuck 2 grenades over the side (where it's likely friendlies would be leaning over to look) without any kind of warning, Dawid yelled out, "GRENADES!"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1266 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 25 Apr 2012
at 03:34
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Tucker had gotten back to his rack are fairly quickly when he heard there was an alarm of 'repel boarders' being yelled out by what sounded like Konrad and seeing for himself.  He had wanted that damn M-14K so bad for CQB actions and it was time to see if it was worth the wait.  Robert chambered a round in it and put an extra mag in his cargo pocket and then put his kevlar vest on over his gun belt holding the H&K SOCOM pistol.

He tried to get to an outside position so he could get eyes on some threats and made himself real small on a corner when he heard 'grenade' being yelled out by Dawid.  He is going to make [1] well placed shot on one of te first boarders he sees with the M-14K on semi-automatic.

OOC: Being that Tucker was up, he would've had his pistol and spare mags on?

This message was last edited by the player at 01:21, Thu 26 Apr 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2517 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 27 Apr 2012
at 00:13
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

The peace of the night is instantly shattered as all hell breaks loose aboard the Wilsa Krolowa.

Konrad is the first to react, firing two pistol shots at the first boarder (port side, amidships) before ducking back down behind cover. He's fairly certain that both shots missed. (Konrad -2 rounds 9mm)

Daniel LaRue hits the lights, attempting to blind or at least disorient the attackers. The tug's lights illuminate the water ahead of the tug, leaving the sides of the ship in shadow. If anyone managed to sleep through Konrad's two gunshots, the tug's PA/loudspeaker certainly wakes them up. If the attackers understand LaRue's amplified command to surrender, they certainly give no indication.

Craig, in the sniper's eerie above the bridge, believes that high explosives are the key to repelling the surprise boarding attack. He tosses one frag to port and then, without waiting for a result, tosses a second to starboard. The port grenade bounces off the rubber hull of the first boat and lands in the Vistula where it explodes harmlessly. The second grenade falls into the mastless, wooden sailboat and lodges under a bench. It explodes in a shower of metal fragments and wooden splinters, knocking down three or four of the starboard-side boarding party and showering the Krolowa's superstructure with bits of dangerous debris. (Craig -2 frags)

Tucker emerges on the Tug's raised quarterdeck, M-14K in hand. He fires at one of the boarders to port. The man's leg buckles as the bullet shatters his right femur and he falls to the deck screaming in pain. (Tucker -1 round)

Several of the boarders open fire on the tug's obvious/visible defensive positions on full automatic, spraying bullets at the surprised defenders. Bullets' ricochet loudly off of the tug's thick hide, zinging off in unpredictable directions. The attackers' attention is focussed on the superstructure above them, so Dawid'd approach from forward is not immendiately noticed.


Next Moves?
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1628 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 27 Apr 2012
at 01:01
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
With everyone alerted now, Bayer edges away from the doorway and encourages the team to pour it on, "Keep firing keep firing! Maximum aggression... take dem'out!" Once someone has taken his position at the doorway he rushes back to his bunk and grabs his G36 and his tac vest as the 9mm just won't suffice tonight.

Then as he moves back towards the firefight, he inserts a buckshot round into his 40mm launcher.
Daniel Larue
 player, 94 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Fri 27 Apr 2012
at 01:44
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Crap.  Not exactly the lights I wanted.  Danny quickly glances around for the switches that should control the work lights on the deck - forward navigation isn't exactly a priority at the moment.  His search is interrupted by wayward shrapnel rattling against the bridge windows.  The safety glass holds but there are a few new cracks and divots.  Griet's gonna be pissed.  Okay, fuck 'em.

Still kneeling below the level of the windows and staying in the unlit bridge's interior shadows, Danny makes a long arm and grabs Winona from her chair, flipping her selector to SEMI.  He eases around the corner to the bridge's aft door and trips the latch to let it swing open.  Through his NVGs, he scans the knot of boarders for anyone who looks like he's trying to organize the assault.  Winona's barrel swings up and spits out a controlled pair, then one more for good measure...

Danny
Three quick shots to the guy acting like he's in charge (check fire if Griet is in the line of fire on her way to the bridge)
Winona [30/30 + 6 magazines] - up, on SEMI
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

This message was last edited by the player at 02:05, Fri 27 Apr 2012.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1268 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 27 Apr 2012
at 02:01
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Tucker already likes this weapon!  He knows it's only one round from it but,the damage that it deals is quite impressive and it is handy to have in such a small space to work in.  If there are two [2] threats to fire at with single-shots at each one he will do so.  If not, he will double-tap the next closest and agressive threat nearest to him.

TUCKER
M-14K [19/20] {Set on S/S}
[+1] MAG 20 in cargo pocket
H&K SOCOM (.45 acp) [12/12] SAFETY 'ON & HOLSTERED'
[+2] MAG 12 in mag pouch
Kevlar Vest/Helmet

[2] single-shots to [2] threats or [1] double-tap to [1] threat

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 410 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Fri 27 Apr 2012
at 05:36
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
With his new orders from Johnston eating at him coupled long hours in the crows nest, Jeff had lost some focus, and it had let the attackers get the best of him.  He intended to make up for this mistake quickly.  At the first opportunity he had, he took aim and fired rright at the chest of the arrogant pirate with the sword.


Jeff Warren
Crows Nest
Quick shot on sword pirate.
SAKO TRG-21 [10/10]

Craig Sutherland
 player, 500 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 27 Apr 2012
at 06:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock


As he rolled back from throwing the last grenade Craig has his shotgun in hand. He waits for the denotation before rolling towards the sandbag lip of his position.

Shotgun at his shoulder lying on his side, he fires the four rounds of Buckshot in the magazine into the port attackers while trying to not expose more of himself then necessary.

Above Bridge

L32A1 (Browning A5) 10" Barrel [4/3]
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 295 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Fri 27 Apr 2012
at 06:23
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay had been caught unaware by all the commotion. He had been busy trying out his new IR goggles, and not maintaining a proper watch. Cursing himself, he dropped to his knee and raised his rifle to his shoulder. He flipped the selector to FULL AUTO and scanned for targets. Once located he intended to put a full burst into them and make they pay for his lapse.

As he looked around he glanced over the side of the boat of there were more attackers coming aboard. If he sees multiple targets he will spray the area, intended to cause damage as well as suppress.


Jay Biyanjankar
In a crouch, looking for targets and then firing on full auto
AK74 30/30

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 615 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 27 Apr 2012
at 15:02
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet reached the bridge and looked around to assess the situation. There were boarders to port and starboard and several men already seemed to have gained a foothold on the boat.

She exited from the port side of the wheelhouse and moved to cover the stairs down to the deck. She crouched down and readied her rifle, waiting to see what was going on before firing and potentially hitting one of her comrades. She saw Mariusz appearing from a doorway and said, "Boarders! Cover the starboard stairs. Don't shoot until we've seen what side people are on."

Griet
AK-74 30/30
BG-1 1/1HE
Crouched at port stairs
Overwatch

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1038 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 27 Apr 2012
at 15:04
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
As Mariusz exited onto the upper deck he saw Griet crouched down. She hissed him and order and he nodded. He dropped to a crouch and scrambled around to the opposite side of the boat. He shouldered his rifle and scanned the darkness for targets.

Mariusz
AK-74 30/30
BG-1 1/1HE
Covering starboard steps

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2741 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 28 Apr 2012
at 00:03
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
The debris from the explosion to starboard indicated that the boat there was destroyed.

Therefore, the port probably had more boarders.

"Firing!"

Propping the GPMG on the port rail, he began firing down the side hull of the tug, raking any boards in the act of climbing up and anyone remaining in the rubber raft.


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM 100/100
Port Bow railing
Firing long burst down side of boat. Attempting to avoid friendly casualties by shooting down the side of the hull, not across the deck.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1298 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 28 Apr 2012
at 18:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Someone, Jan didn't know who but Dawid had yelled a warning, had thrown a grenade either side of the boat.  The explosion on the starboard side had been much louder so Jan raced to the port side with his rifle to his shoulder.  As he moved he looked for targets and if he spotted any he fired a double tap at them.

Konrad's orders were right.  They needed to establish control of the boat as quickly as possible!  Maximum speed and aggression were required!


Jan
Going to the port side of the boat and firing a double tap at any target that he spots.  If he spots a second target he will also fire a double tap at that one for a total of four shots.
AK-74 (30/30 - 30rnd mag x7) - carried
BG-15 (1/1 HE - HE x11) - underslung on AK-74
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Note – webbing not currently worn but is looped over shoulder

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2519 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 28 Apr 2012
at 22:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

On the quarterdeck, Tuck attempts to create more carnage with his new toy. A burst of automatic fire brushes him back, one round glancing off the crown of his K-pot. He stumbles backwards, loses his balance, and falls on his ass. The only thing hurting, though, is his pride. Fortunately, everyone else is currently too busy to have witnessed his short trip. As he starts to regain his feet, he senses something behind him, at the back railing of the quarterdeck, just out of sight in front of the AGS/PKM position.

Griet is waiting at the top of the stairs when a dark-clad man wielding a sword in his right hand and a pistol in his left pops up just in front of her. She squeezes off a burst, hitting the boarder in the stomach. He doubles over in pain, pauses for a moment, and then starts crawling towards Griet, his sword clanging off the last couple of metal stairs to the starboard waste HMG position. (Griet -3 rounds)

One of the boarders on the starboard side tosses a frag up towards the HMG mount beneath the bridge. The grenade clangs off the Dishka's long barrel and drops down the main deck were a wounded boarder lays [this is the fellow whose leg was shattered by Tucker in the second round]. There are two more men within the primary blast radius when the grenade explodes, killing two of them and badly wounding the third as the concussion knocks him on his face.

Dawid has just set up his PKM when the errant grenade blows up. A fragment buzzes past his ear as he leans into the buttstock of his machinegun and unleashes a flurry of rounds on the men still in the inflatable [if he rests his bipod on the railing, he can't really fire down its inner side]. His fire cuts down the three men still aboard and punches several holes in the boat's uppers. When he releases the trigger, there are no more targets visible on the starboard side of the tug. The man wounded and knocked down by his comrade's frag is lying on the deck groaning about five meters from Dawid's feet. (Dawid -10 rounds)

Jay comes up right behind Dawid, too late to engage the now-decimated enemy boarding party on the tug's port side.

Craig, up in the sniper's nest, fires three rounds of buck down into the inflatable at the same time as Dawid's burst. His fire compounds the carnage and further damages the small boat. (Craig -3 rounds buck)

Warren, also in the snipers' nest, attempts to engage the boarders but finds that the long SAKO rifle and its high-powered scope is not suited to this kind of close-range fight. It's just too unwieldy and he can't get a sight picture without leaning out over the edge of the bridge roof. Frustrated, he sets down the rifle and draws his pistol. By the time he's ready to use it, the port side looks clear.

Jan emerges from the crew quarters on to the main deck, portside. There are bodies all around. He looks forward and sees a man nearly at the top of the stairs to the HMG catwalk. He could shoot the man in the back but he realizes that any long rounds or through-and-throughs could strike one of his own people.

Konrad also emerges on deck, a deadly buckshot round loaded in his German grenade launcher. It takes him a couple of seconds to make a decent assessment of the current, and rapidly changing, tactical situation on board the tug.

Mariusz, meanwhile, runs around the HMG catwalk and sets up near the top of the stairs just as a man with a short-barrelled AK jumps up the last couple of steps. Mariusz is ready but the man's sudden appearance startles him into firing off a longer burst than he'd planned. The man fires too, but Mariusz is a split-second quicker. Three of his five rounds strike the target, stitching the boarder from his right [then abdomen] to his left arm. The man dances a grotesque jig, loses his footing, and tumbles back down the steep staircase. One of the enemy's rounds skids across Mariusz's scalp. Thusly stung, Mariusz stumbles backwards a couple of steps and then falls to his knees. The wound stings badly and he can feel blood starting to seep through his long hair, but he knows that he's not badly hurt. He hears more men on the deck below him. (Mariusz -5 rounds)

Daniel LaRue emerges from the bridge's aft door just as the Mariusz sends the boarder sprawling down the stairs. Daniel spots another boarder running aft along the main deck and he squeezes off three rounds. The first one appears to catch the man in the lower back, while the third blasts a big chuck from the back of the man's head. He falls fowards and slides a couple of meters down the deck, coming to stop with a sickening thud against the side railing. (LaRue -3 rounds)

Awakened from a deep slumber by the sudden cacophany of close-quarters battle, Minh falls out of her bunk and starts collecting her essential combat gear in the dark. The strobe effect of nearby muzzle flashes comes through her billet's porthole. She's now ready to fight, but doesn't know what awaits her just outside her room.

The port-side boarders have been annihilated but the tug's starboard side is currently defended by only two of the Kommandos. There's a good chance that there are at least a couple of attackers aboard the Krolowa.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:43, Sat 06 Oct 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2743 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 28 Apr 2012
at 23:32
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Satisfied with taking out the raft and reasonably sure he hadn't killed any of the Kommando, he lifted the heavy MG up from where he'd been holding it, unsupported, and firing down the side of the boat. He rested the bipod on the rail and shouted a warning,

"Port side secure! Repel boarders, starboard side!"

He then scanned the water around the tug to make sure additional reinforcements were not arriving to support those already onboard.

Dawid Piotrowski
PKM 90/100
Tug's Bow
Shouting a SITREP, checking surrounding areas.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 502 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 29 Apr 2012
at 00:36
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

As he rolled from the edge of the snipers nest onto his back, Craig already had two more shells in his hand. He loaded the shotgun again before rolling to the starboard side and placing three more rounds into the attackers.


Above Bridge starboard side
Firing on starboard side attackers

L32A1 (Browning A5) 10" Barrel [3/3] 00 Buck

This message was last edited by the player at 00:36, Sun 29 Apr 2012.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 297 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sun 29 Apr 2012
at 07:34
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Seeing and hearing that Dawid had secured the area in front of him, Jay glided past and headed for the stairs. As he did so he called out, "Jay, Jay!" to make it clear to Dawid and any other Kommandos close by that he was a friendly.

Maintaining his low stance, he manoeuvred quickly to the steps and headed up, with his rifle at the shoulder ready to fire. He headed onto the upper deck's weather deck area, under the canvas, and scanned around, looking for friendlies and targets. If he spots any hostiles he will fire a short burst into their torso. If the area is clear he will move to the starboard side. Keeping as low as possible he will look over the side for targets, and will fire multiple bursts at any groups of attackers he sees.

Jay Biyanjankar
Port side, moving past Dawid, up the stairs onto Upper Deck, then across to the starboard side, firing at any targets that present themselves
AK74 30/30

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 616 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 29 Apr 2012
at 11:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet saw the man she had shot continue to crawl toward her. She had hoped he'd go down and stay down to allow them the opportunity to interrogate the man. Until he was stationary however, he remained a threat to her personal safety. She tightened her grip on her rifle and aimed at the man. She steadily pumped rounds into him until he stopped moving.

Griet
Port stairs, machine gun deck
AK-74 27/30
BG-1   1/1HE
Aimed shots at sword boy

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1039 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 29 Apr 2012
at 11:25
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Lucky, Mariusz thought to himself, the guy didn't hit anything vital. He'd operated with blows to the head before and they didn't seem to slow him down too much.He grabbed a grenade from his vest and dragged the pin from it. He released the spoon and rolled it down the stairway. He hoped that the bouncing bomb would deter people from coming up toward him.

As soon as he released the grenade, he moved to cover the stairs from behind in case the enemy decided to use grenades themselves.

Mariusz
AK-74 25/30
BG-1   1/1HE
Throwing a grenade down the stairs
Moving from covering the stairs by looking down them to being adjacent to them to shoot people in the back as they come up

Daniel Larue
 player, 99 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Mon 30 Apr 2012
at 00:59
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Danny winces as Mariusz's head snaps back and the 5.45mm slug buries itself in the bridge's doorframe.  The kid seems okay, though, or at least functional enough to fish a grenade out of his vest and - Oh, shit.

"Frag out, port side!" Danny yells, then leans back against the cold metal of the smokestack to avoid the upward spray of fragments.  As soon as the grenade detonates, he's moving again, heading down the bridge stairs to the upper deck.  Mariusz charges forward to cover the head of the port stairs that lead from the main deck and Danny has to assume he has it under control.  The PJ turns left, sweeping the quarterdeck as he heads toward the gunfire at the starboard stairs.  Winona leads, warmed up and ready to repel boarders...

(OOC: Danny's movement is down the bridge stairs to the upper deck, then counter-clockwise around the back of the smokestack toward Griet's position [which should bring him past Tuck if the "quarterdeck" is where I identified it in the OOC thread].  The first boarder in his sights gets another trio of quick shots.)


Danny emerges from the bridge to see Griet determinedly punching round after round into a boarder with a... A sword?  What the fuck, over?  Beyond her, Tuck is picking himself up off the quarterdeck.  The New Yorker seems okay through Danny's NVGs, so whatever knocked him down must be transitory.  At any rate, he doesn't appear to be copiously leaking.

Danny skids down the stairs, bringing Winona in line with Griet's target as his boots hit the upper deck.  "Chief!" he yells, "I've got this!  Get to the bridge!"  He quickly assesses Griet's target, delivers a couple more rounds if necessary, then steps to the side to clear Griet's path to the bridge.  "Tuck!  You okay?"

Danny
Covering the head of the portside stairs to the upper deck
Winona [27/30 + 6 magazines] - up, on SEMI
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

This message was last edited by the player at 02:31, Wed 02 May 2012.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1273 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 30 Apr 2012
at 03:04
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Cap'n Rae:
On the quarterdeck, Tuck attempts to create more carnage with his new toy. A burst of automatic fire brushes him back, one round glancing off the crown of his K-pot. He stumbles backwards, loses his balance, and falls on his ass. The only thing hurting, though, is his pride. Fortunately, everyone else is currently too busy to have witnessed his short trip. As he starts to regain his feet, he senses something behind him, at the back railing of the quarterdeck, just out of sight in front of the AGS/PKM position.
Next Moves?

"You're one lucky sonuvabitch," goes through Tucker's head as he remembers the kine from a D-Day movie he had seen where the Ranger had gotten hit in his steel pot and lived only to be downed by a quick follow-up shot to his head seconds later.  He checks where he got shot from first to see if there are any threats still that way.  When he hears something from behind him, Robert begins to move slowly (heel to toe) towards where he sensed the movement towards the AGS/PKM position.

TUCKER
M-14K [19/20] {Set on S/S}
[+1] MAG 20 in cargo pocket
H&K SOCOM (.45 acp) [12/12] SAFETY 'ON & HOLSTERED'
[+2] MAG 12 in mag pouch
Kevlar Vest/Helmet

Still on quarter-deck, trying to find a threat(s) near the AGS/PKM position

OOC: I am correct to guess that Tucker didn't get any rounds off the last combat round and he was hit before he could do that?

This message was last edited by the player at 03:06, Mon 30 Apr 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1300 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 1 May 2012
at 17:14
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
There were a lot of dead looking bodies on the port side and Jan didn't have time to check whether any of them were friendly or not.  He heard the yell from someone, probably Dawid, about securing the starboard side but he'd seen a man go up onto the HMG catwalk so he followed him up, pursuing the one target that he knew was still active.  He kept his rifle tucked tight into his shoulder and looked for an opportunity to fire on the man when there was either a solid wall or an open environment off the boat behind him so that there wasn't a risk of hitting a friend.

Ideally he'd have switched to his pistol but he'd left that in his cabin!


Jan
Pursuing the man he'd seen up onto the HMG catwalk, looking to get a clean shot at him.  If he does then he'll fire a double tap at him and a second double tap if he's still moving!
AK-74 (30/30 - 30rnd mag x7) - carried
BG-15 (1/1 HE - HE x11) - underslung on AK-74
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Note – webbing not currently worn but is looped over shoulder

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2524 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 2 May 2012
at 03:33
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Griet is somewhat alarmed that the sword-wielding boarder she's just shot is still coming at her but she fights back the fear and squeezes off three more shots at close range. The first one hits him in the pelvis, doing horrendous internal damage. The second round hits the man's right arm which, at the moment, is holding up most of his upper body weight. The arm gives with a sickening, wet crack and the man face-plants on the unforgiving metal of the deck. The third and final rounds smacks into the boarder's buttocks with a meaty thud. The man lays moaning on the deck while his lifesblood starts pouring down the stairs. Daniel arrives as the boarder collapses, mortally wounded. (Griet -3 rounds)

Jan and Jay both proceed to the port-side stairway to the upper decks to find a boarder already at the top. Fortunately for the two Kommandos, his back is to them. Three gunshots ring out from above and the man collapses, halfway on the top two steps and halfway on the catwalk ringing the base of the bridge.

On the tug's raised quarterdeck, Tucker cautiously approaches the AGS/PKM position where he's heard some movement. Due to all the gunfire and explosions going on nearby, he can no longer hear the sound that alerted him. He's starting to doubt himself when a hand reaches up and finds purchase on one of the sandbags ringing the firing station. Tuckers lowers his sights and waits for a more substantial target to appear. As soon as the boarder's burnt cork-smeared face appears, Tuck pulls the trigger. The round strikes the man's forearm, and he falls, screaming, to the main deck aft (a drop-off of only a few feet). (Tucker -1 round)

Mariusz tosses his grenade down the starboard stairs to the main deck and waits for it to explode. It dutifully complies, lashing the starboard side with shrapnel. No one is positioned to see the explosion, though, so there's no telling what effect it had. (Mariusz -1 frag)

Craig, after speed-loading his shotgun, rolls right and leans over the starboard edge of the bridge roof just in time to be temporarily blinded by the flash of Mariusz's grenade. As he blinks away the after-image, Craig sees human forms in the laying in the bottom of the boat layed up alongside the Queen. Not taking any chances, he dumps two loads of buck into them to make doubly sure that the threat is eliminated. (Craig -2 rounds)

Dawid is on high alert, scanning the river for additional threats. For the moment, at least, he sees none. Konrad, Minh, and Warren, unsure of who is where, and what exactly is happening, choose to wait for the situation to clarify itself before adding their fire to the fracas.

The tug has fallen relatively quiet. All you hear is heavy breathing, the tinkling of rolling brass, and the moaning of at least two wounded men. As you start to come down from the adrenaline rush of close combat, you are startled by a splash as something heavy hits the water to starboard. Craig sees the brief white halo of disturbed water alongside but it's quickly erased by the river's steady current.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:35, Wed 02 May 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1629 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 2 May 2012
at 04:21
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Emerging from the interior and now properly armed, Bayer finds the situation heading back under control. With the opportunity available to get the unit organized better, Bayer calls for the senior NCO's for a quick dissemination of orders. When they arrive, he taps each person on the shoulder as he says their names and begins...

"Jan, take Quyen and clear the port side. Tucker and Jay, you have the starboard side to sweep... including whatever might still be in the water. I want the living segregated from the dead. Anyone still breathing is to be corralled at the aft deck. Leave the weapons and searches of the dead, for the moment... security first."

"Dawid, take command of external security with Lt. Sutherland, McClurg and Mariusz... cover the main weaponry for all around defense. Mr. Warren is still upstairs as well so liaise with him once you are setup. Open fire policy at this time is to shoot anything that moves... except the Vasilek. For that, Dawid employ your PKM as an alternative and use your own discretion on any threats."


He then waves over Daniel and explains to him, "I want you on the aft deck where the living will be assembled and place under guard and kept from speaking or communicating with one another. Once I find Doctor Solumblume, she will join you for an assessment and take the next step."

This message was last edited by the player at 11:06, Wed 02 May 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2745 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 2 May 2012
at 09:08
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #55):

Dawid's ears were still ringing from the close in fire, and the grenades.

"The river around us looks clear."

"Understood, Kaptain. Engage with PKM preferably over Vasilek unless there is a worthy target."


He popped 'round his bunk, grabbed his webbing, lifchik, body armour and helmet. He then manned the forward weapon position, PKM at hand but Vasilek ready with a clip of 82mm HE shells loaded.
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1301 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 2 May 2012
at 20:50
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
While Konrad issued his orders Jan quickly put on his webbing.  He was still missing his boots, body armour, helmet and night vision goggles and was starting to get cold just standing in the night air but he was ready to get stuck into the task he'd been assigned.  The adrenaline was pumping so he didn't really feel just how cold he was starting to get.

"Oui mon Capitaine," Jan replied to Konrad.  "Are we sure that everyone is ok?  Do you need to call the roll?"

Leading Konrad to ponder that question Jan got on with clearing the port side.  "Quyen, with me," he called as he set off, rifle at his shoulder.


Jan
Leading Quyen over to the port side to check/clear it.
AK-74 (30/30 - 30rnd mag x7) - carried
BG-15 (1/1 HE - HE x11) - underslung on AK-74
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1274 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 2 May 2012
at 23:54
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
<DarkBlue>"Jan, take Quyen and clear the port side. Tucker and Jay, you have the starboard side to sweep... including whatever might still be in the water. I want the living segregated from the dead. Anyone still breathing is to be corralled at the aft deck. Leave the weapons and searches of the dead, for the moment... security first."

"Got it Boss," Tucker replies to Konrad's orders to clear the starboard side of the ship.  He nods to Jay and waves for him to follow him to the starboard side to sweep and clear for any stragglers that might not have escaped or been killed.  Tucker will take the rail side and point to Jay to cover the inside.  "If they bring a weapon on you, drop 'em Jay!"
Daniel Larue
 player, 102 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Thu 3 May 2012
at 00:26
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Danny automatically assesses Griet's victim and grades the guy as terminal.  The steaming rush of arterial red from the abdominal wounds heralds internal bleeding that probably can't be stopped even if he hits Anneka's table right now.  The PJ briefly considers donating a mercy round but the boarder is already slipping into unconsciousness.

Through the sudden relative silence and the notable lack of cries for a medic, the splash to starboard catches Danny's attention.  "Griet!" he calls up to the bridge, "gimme lights to starboard, we've got someone in the water!"  He sprints over to the starboard rail, next to the Dishka mount, and begins scanning the water outboard and downstream, using Winona's scout light for illumination until Griet swings the searchlight around.  With a night like this, they'll be hypothermic before they reach shore.  I don't much care if it's the other team but I haven't seen all of our people yet...

Danny's head jerks around at Konrad's summons.  "Yessir.  I heard someone go over the side, though.  Are all our people accounted for?"

Danny
Winona [27/30 + 6 magazines] - up, on SEMI
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

This message was last edited by the player at 00:30, Thu 03 May 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2746 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 3 May 2012
at 00:28
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #58):

Returning from gearing up to man his station, Dawid sighed and said,

"Kaptain, friends, I know this is a touchy subject for many NATO types, and believe me, I have thought a lot about what I'm about to say:"

"These men just to to take over the boat, showing aggressiveness and little regard for their safety. Accept their surrender, yes, but if they show the slightest hint of non-cooperation, if they refuse to divulge whatever information we wish to know, then execute them and then drop them in the river. We don't have the time, manpower, supplies or room to securely house prisoners who, given the slightest opportunity, may attempt to escape and warn others, if not make whatever havoc they can.

"Sure, not all prisoners are a threat, but a significant portion (including a personal "friend" of mine) have been, and there's no telling ahead of time who will be a problem. So we should ask them to divulge what they know. If they don't talk, and talk fast, they are by definition are not cooperative and we can't risk having them aboard if they are of no use."

"Please understand that, unless I really miss my guess, these are not soldiers protected by the Geneva Conventions but common criminals at best, caught red-handed engaging in piracy. I will take care of the problem in that case, legally under Martial Law, as a member of the NATO-recognised government and armed force of Poland. Anyone who cooperates willingly may be spared, those who are uncooperative will have justice swiftly served."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:38, Thu 03 May 2012.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 411 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Thu 3 May 2012
at 06:10
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff stares at Dawid for his little speech.  There is a brief but noticable pause before anyone moves.

"I'll save you the trouble."

Jeff approaches the first prisoner. "Who are you and what were you trying to accomplish, and why?"  he repeats the question in Russian and then shoots an icy stare at a Polish speaker.

If the prisoner says anything productive, Jeff listens only long enough to get the details.  When it seems as if the man has said all he has to say, Jeff took his black dive knife and slit the mans throat, pouring even more blood on the deck.  (Assume that if the prisoner says nothing he skips the foreplay).

With one down, Jeff approaches the other.  "Talk and I'll let you live to warn others." again the question is repeated in Russian and Polish.  At the conclusion of this mans story, Jeff puts a .45 into his heart.  He says nothing to the others and resumes his watch in the crows nest, scanning the banks of the river ahead with his long rifle.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 503 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 3 May 2012
at 06:20
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Craig loads the magazine on the shotgun, placing a slug shell in first. He works the bolt ejecting the buckshot shell into his hand and then places it into the magazine.

He spends some time with his NVG's scanning both banks.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:48, Thu 03 May 2012.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 301 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Thu 3 May 2012
at 06:22
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #58):

Jay nodded to Tuck and followed him to the starboard side, keeping his rife at his shoulder and wary of threats. He scanned around as he moved, looking in all nooks and crannies for anyone hiding.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1631 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 3 May 2012
at 11:54
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Secure the boat and perimeter." Bayer says loud enough to be over the voices. "NCOs get all of your people moving into position now."

Bayer then turns to Griet and asks, "Damage?" Before she can answer however, he includes, "Do you have all you're people accounted for?"

This message was last edited by the player at 11:55, Thu 03 May 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2747 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 3 May 2012
at 12:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #64):

"Mariusz, on me.

"You and I are on the Vasilek."


Geared up and seeing there wasn't much he could do, Dawid returned to his station.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:07, Thu 03 May 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2749 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 12:04
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

This message was deleted by the player at 12:05, Thu 03 May 2012.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1040 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 3 May 2012
at 15:11
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz followed Dawid to the mortar and then helped the man arrange his ammunition so the PKM could be deployed effectively. He readied his rifle and kept a close watch on the darkness.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 617 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 3 May 2012
at 15:13
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"I'm on it," Griet said as Bayer asked about the crew, she picked up the intercom and said, "Griet to all crew stations, report in on status and damage."

She listened intently, hoping to hear everyone calling in and reporting they were safe.
Minh Quyen
 player, 624 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 4 May 2012
at 17:13
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Quyen shakes her head at Tucker in mock pity. "Always standing in the way of the bullets. When do you learn?" She then taps fists with him and and moves off to help Jan clear the boat.

Minh then asks Jan "You cover and I check the bodies? Good idea or no?" If Jan agrees she will sling her rifle and draw he pistol so she can manage turning over the bodies and dragging and that are still alive to the back of the boat.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1275 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 5 May 2012
at 01:13
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Minh Quyen:
Quyen shakes her head at Tucker in mock pity. "Always standing in the way of the bullets. When do you learn?" She then taps fists with him and and moves off to help Jan clear the boat.

Tucker smiles at Minh as he points to his dented helmet, "I don't know Minh.  It must be my brain bucket that is doing the attracting.  It wasn't too attractive when it knocked me on my ass back there.  You might've enjoyed me getting knocked on my ass though!"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2525 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 5 May 2012
at 22:31
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

With the aid of the light on his carbine and the tug's more powerful spotlight, Danny easily spots a lone figure in the water, about half a boat length downriver of the Queen. He can't quite believe it, but his senses are speaking true. The figure in the river is Dominique Connolly, one of Danny's travelling companions. Her head and shoulders are above water, but she hasn't called out- she must be in some sort of distress.

A sweep of the tug yields five dead boarders. There's another five dead between the two boats, both of which are fastened to the Queen by crude metal hooks. The inflatable on the port side is taking on quite a bit of water and is probably not salvageable. If the light was better, the water would be tinged with a substantial quantity of red. The wooden boat to port is also taking on water, but at a slower rate. Only two boarders managed to survive their attack on the tug. One is riddled with grenade fragments and is going into shock. The other, with a gunshot wound to the right arm, is in better shape.

Jeff slashes the jugular of the shock victim. The man barely seems to notice. Blood, almost black in the low light, courses down the front of his smock, each pulse diminish in strength and volume. He's dead in under a minute. The other man, having witnessed his comrade's bloody death, spills his guts [in Polish].

"Hey, take it easy, mate. Fuck man. Why are you so angry? This is what we do. You already destroyed our fleet. I don't remember you stopping by first to introduce yourselves. Turnabout's fair play, right? There's no place for us in Warsaw any more. We just wanted a little payback. You would have done the same thing. You don't need to..."

Jeff ends the prisoner's rambling with a .45 slug to the chest. The Korsair wheezes out a death rattle and expires on the deck. (Jeff -1 pistol round)

The tug is yours. She doesn't appear to have taken more than superficial cosmetic damage. Grenade shrapnel and small arms rounds have scarred the superstructure and patches on the deck and slick with blood. Grzyech and Roszkowski will certainly be cross that their fresh paint job has been ruined so soon.

Looking northwest, downriver, you notice that the distant lights have roughly doubled in number. It appears as though the residents of Plock haven't failed to notice the brief but violent battle that you've just waged.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:40, Sat 05 May 2012.

Daniel Larue
 player, 106 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 6 May 2012
at 00:20
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Aw, shit."  Something in the back of your head notes that you sound more resigned than surprised.  You look at the sinking Zodiac, look back at Boots' head receding downstream, gauge the current, and make the call you knew you were going to make as soon as you recognized her:

You flip Winona to SAFE and toss her to a startled Craig.  "El-tee, I'm prob'ly gonna need a pickup."

Click goes the QD buckle on the aid bag's strap.  Let it hit the deck.  Snap goes the helmet's chin strap.  Ease it and its burden of fragile NVGs down onto the bag.

You raise your face to the bridge.  "Griet, keep the light on her!"

The D-ring on the cutaway tab rides on your left shoulder.  You reach up and across, yank it, rrrip goes the hook-and-loop, let the armor fall away.  Slow, too slow.  Be glad you were inside the nice warm bridge when the shooting started.  No heavy parka to make you even slower.

The captain's still dealing with Company Man's executions.  Fuck the prisoners.  They were standing between you and Julia.  They put your aircraft commander over the side.  Let 'em bleed out.  Fuck 'em.  You catch the captain's eye.  Enunciate clearly.  "Boots is in the water.  Tell the doctor to prep for two cold water immersion cases."

Don't give him time for different orders.  The river plods along at two miles an hour here.  Three feet per second.  She's already a hundred feet away.  Trivial in the pool.  Fun in the breakers off Kadena.  Not guaranteed here.  Your last met log entry was 28º.  The water has to be within a few degrees of freezing.

A life ring hangs on a bracket by the Dishka.  How long is the line?  Is it tied off?  Three feet per second.  Grab it on your way over the rail.  Don't think about what will happen when you hit the water.  Don't think about the involuntary aspiration, the spike in heart rate and blood pressure, the heart attack, the stroke.  Don't think about the heat draining away from your skin, the loss of dexterity and strength.  Don't think about rewarming complications, the heart overloading as it struggles to push blood to recovering extremities.

Training says you have ninety seconds to do this before your body fails.  Three feet per second.

Fourteen feet of air gives you time to think about it all anyway.

The Vistula swallows you.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:58, Sun 06 May 2012.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 618 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 6 May 2012
at 07:19
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Crew overboard!" Griet called over the intercom.

"Get a life raft out," she continued, "cut down the time they're in the water."

"Anneka, prepare for two cold water casualties," she said.
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1303 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 6 May 2012
at 08:22
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan had finished checking the bodies on the port side with Quyen and was just about to start collecting up weapons and ammo from the bodies before discussing how they were going to be disposed of when he heard the shouts about someone being overboard.  Turning he saw Danny dive into the cold water and remembered the discussions about just how cold the water was at present.  He had proposed practicing his swimming but had been dissuaded because of the water temperature and that was what someone was now doing!

Slinging his rifle over his shoulder Jan raced forward to the bow and looked around for a life ring.  Spotting one he checked that it was tied off and then coiled the rest of the line and it together, ready to throw it if anyone was close enough.  He then tried to spot Danny in the water and whomever he had dived in to save, calling out anything that he saw to everyone else.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1276 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 6 May 2012
at 16:53
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Tucker turns and looks to see Danny diving overboard when Griet calls out that they have someone overboard.  He hands his rifle over to Jay and begins to make his way towards one of the rafts to get it ready and in the water.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 504 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 7 May 2012
at 00:26
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Craig takes the rifle when it is pasted to him. He did'nt really catch on to what Danny was about to do until he was up on the edge. Once he was in the water Craig started to look for a rope of some kind to throw off the rear of the tug.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2752 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 7 May 2012
at 01:09
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
"Crew overboard!" Griet called over the intercom.

"Get a life raft out," she continued, "cut down the time they're in the water."

"Anneka, prepare for two cold water casualties," she said.


"Mariusz, go, assist with the boat. I will continue with keeping watch and can handle the Vasilek myself."

Dawid continued scanning the water using his NVGs. It was unlikely someone from town would investigate until morning unless they were really sharp and aggressive.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 304 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Mon 7 May 2012
at 06:08
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg #75):

Jay took Tuck's weapon and slung it over his shoulder. The sweep they had conducted seemed to be clear, but he maintained his vigilance just in case. He continued to scan the boat and the bank for any signs of movement.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2526 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 9 May 2012
at 23:55
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

When Danny plunges into the cold water of the Vistula, it feels like his heart stops beating for a second or two. Adrenaline will help him avoid going hypothermic for a little while, but the water temperature is not too far above freezing and the longer he stays mostly submerged, the worse his body is going to function.

He's a strong swimmer, and comfortable in the water, despite its temperature. With several powerful strokes, he reaches his comrade. She's semi-conscious and barely keeping her own head above water. Danny secures her with one arm and uses the other to keep them from sinking below the surface. The current is too strong to swim against. He can probaly move laterally, though, albeit at a fairly slow pace. Right now, it's a question of endurance- can he make it to one of the river banks before his body shuts down and they both go under.

Jan prepares a life ring and tosses it in the direction Griet indicates LaRue is headed in. Unfortunately, the attached line is not quite long enough for the ring to reach him before it is out of range. It's doubtful that he could have noticed it in the dark anyways.

Griet [NPCed] does her best to keep the Queen's spotlight fixed on the rapidly diminishing figure of the American pararescueman as the current sweeps him away from the achored tug.

Tucker and Mariusz [NPCed] prepare the tug's trusty zodiac* for deployment. They are fairly practiced at it by now and it only takes a minute or so for them to get it from the deck into the water where it awaits a crew. [Who's going to board it and set off after LaRue?]. The slowly sinking pirate boats lashed to either side of the Queen are in the way, but, once the zodiac's engine is running, it shouldn't be to hard to get around them.

The security force keeps watch for additional attackers. As yet, none have arrived. Circling the Queen's superstructure, the patrollers periodically have to step over one of the nearly half-dozen pirate corpses still littering the lower deck. The smell of blood occasionally registers over the stronger scent of the river. It's difficult to properly search the bodies in the weird, shifting light that ripples over the tug, but several folding stock and/or short-barreled AKs and an automatic pistol are recovered. The most obvious and unusual find is a very old-looking cavalry sabre. You wouldn't be surprised to see it in a museum; on the deck of a river-tug in the year 2000, it certainly is out of place.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:14, Thu 10 May 2012.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 505 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 10 May 2012
at 00:27
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

With the current situation in hand Craig does a quick reconnoiter of both pirate boats. Starting with the zodiac he retrieves any weapons or other equipment. He will then do the same to the wooden vessel, pistol in hand.

Crew
Looking through boats

Browning HP-35 (w/ silencer) [20/20] w/2 magazines
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 412 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Thu 10 May 2012
at 05:24
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff is not going to get in the zodiac, but he gives a nod of good luck as it prepares to depart.  He even goes so far as to cast off the line for them.

Instead, he turns to the others  "While they're out lets grab what gear we can and then dump these bodies.  They'll stain the paint."  On his way back he'll strip any body in his way
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 305 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Thu 10 May 2012
at 06:17
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay headed towards the small boat. Whilst no Marine, he was keen to help out. "I go, I go!" he called to whoever was in charge of the vessel, before quickly dropping his body armour and helmet and placing them out of the way for later retrieval. He moved forward to help with lowering the boat into the water, following any directions given by those more practised in the art, before preparing to climb in. As he did so he had a thought. Turning to whoever was closest of those staying aboard he shouted, "Get blankets!"
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1305 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 10 May 2012
at 13:46
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Having missed with his first throw of the life ring Jan quickly pulled it back in and looped the rope again for another cast.  It was probably going to be unnecessary as it would require an almost direct hit for them to spot the ring but he got ready just in case.

He kept his eyes fixed on the two people in the water while he worked, making sure that someone on board didn't lose sight of them.  "Danny has reached her!" he called out, keeping the information flowing.  "He is keeping her head above water!"
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1041 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 10 May 2012
at 16:36
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz leapt into the zodiac with the others and rushed to the front, "I'll try to help them in," he called to the helmsman.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2754 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 11 May 2012
at 00:53
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
This would be a bad time to be surprised from the town.

He didn't think these losers were from Plock. If anything, they seemed to be holdouts from the Baron's Black Guard. Still, if anyone approached he thought it was good to see them before they contacted the tug


Dawid Piotrowski
PKM (90/100)
Bow Weapon Station
Keeping a lookout towards the town

Minh Quyen
 player, 626 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 12 May 2012
at 00:15
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"I will get on a gun." Ferro says to Bayer after deciding that there was enough attention being directed at the water emergency. She then moves to the upper deck and took hold of one of the DSHK machine guns. The metal felt cold to the touch but she worked the action and tested around with the swivel.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2755 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 12 May 2012
at 00:27
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Minh Quyen:
"I will get on a gun." Ferro says to Bayer after deciding that there was enough attention being directed at the water emergency. She then moves to the upper deck and took hold of one of the DSHK machine guns. The metal felt cold to the touch but she worked the action and tested around with the swivel.


Dawid was keeping watch at the bow, so he directed Minh to station herself at one of the stern-facing MG positions.


OOC: The idea being they maintain coordinated 360-degree coverage. I'm not sure where the Dushkas are, I think there is one up there pointed to the rear. This makes the most sense.
Daniel Larue
 player, 107 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sat 12 May 2012
at 01:20
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
At first, the water is almost too cold to hurt.  Danny surfaces, orients on the searchlight beam, and starts swimming with the current.  He's halfway to Boots before he realizes he's lost the life ring he grabbed when he went over the rail.

Connolly is barely conscious, which is a mixed blessing – she's not going to be any help, but this would be nigh-impossible with a conscious but panicked victim.  Danny gets an arm around her from behind and clasps her to his chest, keeping her head above water.  A look around shows little other than the Queen's spotlight, the silhouette of the vessel beneath it, the shadows of the Vistula's banks, and a twinkling constellation of more distant lights.

Danny's extremities are already numbing and he can feel his muscles starting to tighten.  He's not sure how long it's going to take the team to get a boat in the water.  Getting to a riverbank won't do a damned thing for incipient hypothermia but at least he won't have to worry about drowning.  With his free hand, he fishes his small flashlight out of his pocket, twists it on (hoping the O-ring seals haven't dry-rotted over the last few years), and loops its lanyard around the wrist of the arm holding Boots.  It's not much, but in a night largely devoid of artificial illumination, it may be enough of a beacon for the team to find him if Griet's spotlight loses him.  With that accomplished, he starts making for the shore opposite the lights of Plock.  No one from the town is going to arrive in time to help, even if they were so inclined, but they might well interfere with rescue efforts if he and Boots landed on their side of the river…
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1279 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 12 May 2012
at 16:25
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Tucker, and whoefver is helping him, yells to the others, "Get the damn boat out of the way so we can cast off!"  Hopefully they get all of the stuff they need out of the boarders' boats but, if they want Daniel and his boss back before they drown or die of hypothermia, they need to go now.  When it's ready to go, Tucker screams out, "CASTING OFF!  CASTING OFF!"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1632 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 12 May 2012
at 17:17
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer helps Tucker get the boat in the water, but remains on board. Then once the boat was off and the rescue in Robert's hands, he inserts an ILLUM paraflare into his launcher and moves to the upper deck. On the way then nods to McClurg to follow Quyen and Dawid, and get on one the guns.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2756 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 12 May 2012
at 23:38
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer helps Tucker get the boat in the water, but remains on board. Then once the boat was off and the rescue in Robert's hands, he inserts an ILLUM paraflare into his launcher and moves to the upper deck. On the way then nods to McClurg to follow Quyen and Dawid, and get on one the guns.


Dawid was covering the bow arc, Minh the rear.

Subsequently, he directed McClurg to man the Dushka that was pointing most towards the shore. It was unlikely more boats would show up and if they did, they would see them from a ways off. A party could sneak up on shore, even maneuver a heavy weapon into position, so that to him was the direction of most potential threat. He also oriented the Vasilek so that it was pointing as shoreward as possible.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2528 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 13 May 2012
at 22:16
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Fighting the creeping numbness in his arms and legs, Daniel swims cross current towards the southern shore. His passenger neither helps nor hinders his progress. She is, however, somewhat of a burden and Daniel has to work twice as hard to propel them both through the icy water.

Meanwhile, Tucker, Mariusz, and Jay, with the help of a couple of others, manhandle the Zodiac over the stern of the tug (facing downriver). The Mountain soldier, the Ghurka, and the teenaged Polish partisan hop on board the Zodiac, struggling to keep their balance in the small boat. Tucker tries to start the engine but can't get it to turn over, no matter how hard he pulls the starter chord. Mariusz offers to give it a go and somehow manages to get it coughing to life with one good yank. Once the engine's running, the trio shoves off while the rest of the security crew guards the tug against further hostile action. Tucker expertly steers the Zodiac along the line pointed out by the spotlight. The spotlight, currently unmanned, is aimed at the swimmers' last known position. Jan, watching from the lower deck, loses sight of LaRue and the woman in the inky darkness that lies outside the spotlight beam.

Craig and Jeff loot the pirate bodies before tossing them each over the side unceremoniously. Hopefully, the floating corpes won't interfere with the rescue operation currently underway.

As they motor downriver, the small boat crew fails to locate LaRue and Connolly. They're currently about 200m downriver from the Queen.

LaRue's strength is fading fast by the time his knee strikes the soft mud of the submerged foot of the riverbank. He struggles mightily the last few meters through glutinous muck to more solid ground. He lies panting on the shore, spooning his semi-conscious companion in an almost futile attempt to share warmth.

At the bow of the tug, Dawid keeps watch for any follow-on boarding parties. It's been several minutes now since the last of the pirates was gunned down and Dawid is confident that the attack is over when he spots something long and low to the water coming straight at the reinforced bow of the tug. It's about 75m out and appears to be moving with the current.


Next Moves?

Updated Tac-map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms...pn=0.083261,0.264187

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:39, Sun 13 May 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2760 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 13 May 2012
at 23:27
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Cap'n Rae:
At the bow of the tug, Dawid keeps watch for any follow-on boarding parties. It's been several minutes now since the last of the pirates was gunned down and Dawid is confident that the attack is over when he spots something long and low to the water coming straight at the reinforced bow of the tug. It's about 75m out and appears to be moving with the current.


"Alert! Kapitan Bayer, unidentified object closing from the south, bearing zero degrees, range 75 metres. Drifting with the current, no sign of life."

"Griet, please direct the spotlight to bear forward so we can identify the target."
He didn't like directing the skipper, but someone would have to get on that light and bring it to bear to forward so they could see what was going on. Either her or one of her crew, it didn't matter.

"Minh, on me. Orient the Vasilek forward.

"Sutherland, man the port Dushka. Warren, starboard Dushka. Cover the bow plus the side arcs. Sutherland, that means the island, Warren, the shore."

"McClurg, shift position to cover the rear arc. Man the rear-facing weapon and maintain observation of the river and town.

"Kellerman, report to the Captain so he knows where you are. Jan, you too, when you can."


He manned the PKM, facing forward.

Dawid Piotrowski

PKM (90/100 + 2 spare belts)
Bow
Manning PKM

This message was last edited by the player at 09:50, Tue 15 May 2012.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 309 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Tue 15 May 2012
at 09:15
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
On board the small dinghy, Jay crouched at the bow, scanning the water. It was murky, and he couldn't see anything. In his frustration he pulled out his flashlight and swept back and forth from bank to bank, looking for any sign of the medic or the unconscious pilot.

If he spots anything he will call out to Tuck and guide him towards the pair. Otherwise, he will keep looking.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:36, Tue 15 May 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1306 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 15 May 2012
at 13:10
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan gave up in frustration with the life ring when he lost sight of Danny and Boots.  Seeing what was going on was more important so he turned to go and take charge of the searchlight.  As he made his way there though he heard Dawid yelling something about an unidentified object in the water and other instructions so he changed his mind.

"Capitaine, I get my gear," he called out.  "Back soon!"

He then quickly made his way to the cabin where he slept and retrieved his body armour, helmet, boots and NVGs, putting them on as quickly as possible.  Once he was fully dressed he then went back on deck and reported to Konrad.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1042 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 15 May 2012
at 17:36
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz stared out into the night, desperately trying to find the swimmers. He called out, "Can you hear us?!"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 619 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 15 May 2012
at 17:39
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet switched the light around to pick up the mystery object, "Identify and deal with it quickly," she said, "we need to use the light to find the swimmers."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1280 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 15 May 2012
at 20:44
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Tucker continues to steer the zodiac around at a slow pace on where he thinks the two in the water should be.  He calls to Jay and Mariusz, "They've got to be here!  Keep checking with the light and maybe towards the shoreline if you don't see them here."
Daniel Larue
 player, 109 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Wed 16 May 2012
at 01:16
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Connolly is a slight woman but half the Vistula seems to have soaked into her clothes and the other half is weighing down Danny's own limbs.  He forces numb hands to close around her sleeves and hauls her onto the riverbank, then collapses.  "Okay, Boss," he mutters, "at least drownin's off th' table now."

Connolly makes a noise that might be agreement, protest, or hallucination.  Danny shakes his head, spraying droplets of muck in every direction, and captures his flashlight between fingers that are turning to flippers.  In the faint blue glow of the filtered lens, he tries to examine Connolly for any obvious trauma.  He can't see any obvious injuries  but he's still not sure exactly why she went into the water in the first place.

The sputter of an outboard motor belatedly grabs Danny's attention.  He can't identify the Queen's Zod by sound but anyone else on the water tonight would already have earned himself a salvo from the deck guns; ergo, this must be friendlies.  "Hey!" he calls weakly.  He horks a gobbet of muddy phlegm into the shallows, coughs, and tries again.  "Yo!  Mari!  Over here!  West bank!"  Breaking off his attempted assessment of Connolly, he pans the flashlight's beam back and forth across the water.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:54, Wed 16 May 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1634 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 16 May 2012
at 19:54
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Alert! Kapitan Bayer, unidentified object closing from the south, bearing zero degrees, range 75 metres. Drifting with the current, no sign of life."


Already perched up top on the bridge deck where he was observing the man overboard situation, Bayer focuses his attention upriver, upon hearing the warning. Then turning on his image intensifiers, he'll use them to help identify whatever is heading their way.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 413 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Thu 17 May 2012
at 09:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #93):

Jeff found Minh already on the DSHK Dawid had called him too. This was okay with Jeff though as she seemed to be much more familiar with it than Jeff was. It wasn't so much the Soviet weapon as Jeffs general lack of fondness for automatic weapons.

Instead he wraps the sling of his rifle around his left fore-arm and uses years of practice to steady his aim against the motion of the tug. He trains his scope after the searchlight, following it out to the shape ahead.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2766 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 17 May 2012
at 09:17
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Jeff D. Warren (msg #101):

Noting that no one seemed to be with him, Dawid chuckled and shook his head.

"Warren, on me, turn this Vasilek forward. Don't worry, it moves easily and I will fire it if needed."

He turned back and continued looking forward as Griet started to orient the spotlight correctly.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1043 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 17 May 2012
at 17:22
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Over there on the West Bank," Mariusz cried, "head that way!"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1281 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 17 May 2012
at 22:51
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz Tokarski:
"Over there on the West Bank," Mariusz cried, "head that way!"

"All right Mari!  Good job buddy!  Guide me in and of either of you have a radio on you call the Queen and let them know we got two coming back shortly," Tucker says to Jay and Mariusz as he begins to steer the zodiac towards the shore.
Minh Quyen
 player, 628 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 17 May 2012
at 23:08
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff D. Warren:
Jeff found Minh already on the DSHK Dawid had called him too. This was okay with Jeff though as she seemed to be much more familiar with it than Jeff was. It wasn't so much the Soviet weapon as Jeffs general lack of fondness for automatic weapons.


Quyen nods and waves to indicate she was alright on the gun. She then traverses it forward and readies the weapons for firiring (including making sure there was enough ammo on the current belt for at least a few bursts). Quyen then grips the two handles and peers over the top of the gun through the gunshield - waiting.

When the light is shown on the object Quyen will hold fire unless self defense becomes an issue. If that's the case she will fire short bursts using both the tracers and splash on the water to guide her rounds onto the target.

Quyen
DSHK (unknown belt)
Ready to fire

Craig Sutherland
 player, 506 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 18 May 2012
at 00:17
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Craig spends some time trying to pick up the object in his scope before lending a hand with the mortar.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 310 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Fri 18 May 2012
at 06:08
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay gestured to Mariusz to indicate that he had no radio, then turned his attention to the bank with his flashlight.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 415 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Fri 18 May 2012
at 08:19
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In

Jeff helps Dawid with the big gun. He follows Dawids instructions closely, as he'd never even seen a Vasilisk before.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2770 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 18 May 2012
at 10:41
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff D. Warren:
Jeff helps Dawid with the big gun. He follows Dawids instructions closely, as he'd never even seen a Vasilisk before.


"Very good, just turn it forward. It swivels. Then come here and assist me with the PKM, or stay behind the Vasilek's gun shield."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2530 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 20 May 2012
at 00:45
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

With the spotlight's high-intensity beam fixed firmly upon it, the approaching object is identified as a rather large floating tree trunk. The tug's reinforced bow can probably shrug off its impact with minimal fuss or bother while the Zodiac has the manouverability to avoid it (assuming they pick it up visually).

Mariusz finally spots LaRue's little flashlight jiggling about on the riverbank. Tucker turns the boat about and heads towards the spot where the rescue crew finds the soaked, shivering Pararescueman and his charge waiting. After a few minutes wrestling through the mud at the water's edge, the pair are pulled aboard and the Zodiac, now filled nearly to capacity, heads back towards the tug.

The tree trunk hits the the tug's bow a little right of center. The head of the trunk (actually it's rooty base) gets hung up on the tires slung over the tug's nose just long enough for the other end to swing around and change positions. When the roots pull free of the chainged tires, tearing one away, the trunk slides by on the starboard side. On the way, the tree smashes into the pirate's half-sunk wooden sailboat, ripping it free of the tug and dragging it along as it continues downriver.


Next Moves?
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2771 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 20 May 2012
at 00:55
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #110):

"Kapitan, It's just a tree! Warren, get your hand light on it. I'll push it away if I can."

"Everyone else, maintain your sectors."


Dawid grabbed a boat-hook and used it to try and fend the tree off.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:39, Mon 21 May 2012.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1282 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 21 May 2012
at 21:54
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Robert makes sure that everyone is back in the boat and that they're clear of the shoreline before he turns and steers the zodiac back toewards the Queen at the best possible speed.  "Should have us back on board in a couple of minutes Danny.  You guys OK?"
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 312 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Tue 22 May 2012
at 06:11
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay helped haul the bedraggled pair on board the small craft. If there were blankets on board he would use them to wrap around the two in an attempt to warm them up a bit.

As soon as they get back to the Queen he will he get the two aboard, before helping to secure the Zodiac.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 416 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Tue 22 May 2012
at 06:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"No sense wasting the battery.  I'll be at the crows nest."  Jeff turns from Dawid as he pushes the log away.  He returns to the crows nest and watches the incoming zodiac.  Once the passengers are onboard he resumes scanning the shoreline ahead with his scope and binoculars.  Almost time for a shift change...
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2772 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 22 May 2012
at 06:41
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff D. Warren:
"No sense wasting the battery.  I'll be at the crows nest."  Jeff turns from Dawid as he pushes the log away.  He returns to the crows nest and watches the incoming zodiac.  Once the passengers are onboard he resumes scanning the shoreline ahead with his scope and binoculars.  Almost time for a shift change...


"Yeah, get going. This tree's not going to shoot anyone."

He looked up at where Craig was located. "Sutherland, form a detail with you, Minh, and, ah, Jan. Salvage what you can from the other Zodiac, then help with the rescue party.

"Tell McClurg to hold his position, keep watch on the stern arc.

"With me in front, McClurg covering the rear and Warren up in the crow's nest we got everywhere covered."

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1044 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 22 May 2012
at 16:36
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz looked at Danny and asked, "Is there anything we can do to make the journey to the Queen better for you?"
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1307 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 23 May 2012
at 12:35
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Now suitably dressed and equipped Jan ran back up on deck and made his way forward where he could keep watch down river.

"Capitaine, any orders?" he called out.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1635 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 23 May 2012
at 23:11
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan Cerny:
"Capitaine, any orders?" he called out.


Bayer looks over at the Czech in the darkness and replies quietly, "Stand down... get the men out of the water."

He then gives both shorelines a scan through his image intensifiers before watching the recovery of the inflatable from the upper deck. Once that was done and Griet was free, he confirms there was no damage to the tug and coords with her, "We'll move at first light. Can you have the boat ready thirty minutes before dawn?"

This message was last edited by the player at 23:12, Wed 23 May 2012.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 620 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 24 May 2012
at 14:47
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"No problem, Kaptain," Griet replied.

She got on the intercom to engineering and said, "Stand down and get some rest but we need to be at full steam at least thirty minutes before dawn."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2531 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 24 May 2012
at 23:21
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Dawid's attempt to fend off the large tree trunk meets with failure- its mass and velocity are simply too great for the force he can produce to deflect it. Jeff, deciding to head back to his nest atop the bridge, stops tracking the log with his flashlight beam. Dawid can only watch as the log reduces the pirates' wooden sailboat to splinters as it brushes by the tug. The dark traveller then continues downriver, disappearing into the inky blackness outside the dim halo of the tug's running lights.

After winning the battle against the mud of the riverbank, the small boat crew picks up LaRue and Connolly, and oblivious to the approaching danger, proceeds back towards the Queen.

No one aboard the Zodiac notices the large bower until it strikes the rubber-hulled boat head-on. Everyone is thrown forward violently and Jay, in the bows, strikes his head against wood. If it weren't for his helmet, he'd be unconsious. If he survives the encounter, he's going to have quite a headache. The Zodiac's nose collapses and is caught fast by the jagged end of the huge log. Tucker knows enough to pull the propeller out of the water- trying to push the log is only going to fold the Zodiac in half, hastening its inevitable demise. The tree rides the Zodiac's bows under and the boat begins shipping water. Everyone aboard is doused in frigid water as the river rushes aboard. The small boat is foundering as it's being carried downriver by the floating tree.


Next Moves?
Craig Sutherland
 player, 507 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 25 May 2012
at 08:21
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Craig has returned to the wheel house landing once the log was identified as not a threat. He continued to scan both banks for movement, unsure if any of the enemy had made it to the banks.

If he was aware of the drama unfolding he tries to help, either finding a rope he could throw or a life ring if any are present.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2773 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 25 May 2012
at 09:06
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #120):

Satisfied he couldn't have done anything more to affect the outcome of the collision, Dawid got onto other things.

"Craig? Status report!"

"How's salvaging that other Zodiac coming with Jan and Minh? If we can't patch it up we can use it to patch the other boat. Plus the engine might be salvageable."

This message was last edited by the player at 09:06, Fri 25 May 2012.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 508 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 25 May 2012
at 09:26
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg #122):

"Ok on it, we cleared the dead its still attached I believe. I'll try and get it on board."

He then went about trying to at least recover the engine if not the whole thing.
Minh Quyen
 player, 630 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 25 May 2012
at 23:45
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Craig Sutherland:
"Ok on it, we cleared the dead its still attached I believe. I'll try and get it on board."


Quyen slings her rifle and moves to help Craig with recovering the boat engine after it was safe to stand down again. If he can't find any rope she will rush down to her where her pack is and grab the few meters she has coiled up in one of the pouches.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 621 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 26 May 2012
at 08:02
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Once Griet had issued the stand down orders to the engine crew she moved the searchlight forward again to pick up the zodiac and guide it safely back to the Queen.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1045 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 26 May 2012
at 14:27
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Jesus!" Mariusz exclaimed as the log hit them. He grabbed yelled, "Try and get people out of the water."

He reached forward and tried to grab a part of the log to try and gauge its stability. If it was stable enough he intended to try and get people on to it and get them out of the killing cold of the water.

"Move it people," he urged, "we didn't get this far to get killed by a fucking tree."
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1311 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 26 May 2012
at 22:25
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz Tokarski:
He grabbed yelled, "Try and get people out of the water."

Jan had been about to go and help Craig and Quyen with the captured zodiac and any gear on it, as Dawid had instructed, when he heard someone yelling, mostly likely Mariusz from the sound of it.  The young Pole's voice had cut across the night and the persistent sound of the river and it seemed that there was another problem with the rescue team and the people in the water.  Jan therefore changed what he had been intent on doing, slung the sling of his rifle over his shoulder and moved quickly to the nearest searchlight.

He quickly turned it on and started scanning around in the direction he had heard the yells, trying to pick out the people in the water.  He was expecting to find the zodiac they had launched trying to pull Danny and Boots aboard, not the carnage that was currently unfolding unseen.

"Keep yelling!" he called out to whoever was trying to get someone out of the water.  "Keep yelling and I will point the searchlight at the people in the river!"  He hoped that their yelling would help him pick out the right spot to shine the searchlight.

As soon as he picked out the sinking zodiac Jan started yelling updates to the other people still on the Queen so that they knew what was going on as well.
Daniel Larue
 player, 111 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 27 May 2012
at 01:49
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz looks at Danny and asks, "Is there anything we can do to make the journey to the Queen better for you?"

He's so earnest that Danny can't help but chuckle, despite his concern for Boots and the spreading loss of sensation in his own extremities.  "Shit, man, thanks for comin' after us."  He leans - flops, really - over the side of the Zod and releases a racking series of coughs, expelling the last of the Vistula-flavored scum from his throat.  "Can you check Boots?  I couldn't find anything but I think she got whacked upside the head when she went in.  Try to keep her awake."

Curling into a fetal ball in an instinctive but futile attempt to retain warmth, Danny's taken completely by surprise when the boat suddenly folds up around the log.  "Oh, for fuck's sake," he groans disgustedly, struggling into a sitting position.  "Get ready to go for the shore, guys.  We don't wanna get carried any farther downstream..."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:24, Sun 27 May 2012.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1049 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 27 May 2012
at 06:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Over here!" Mariusz shouted again.

"Everyone, keep yelling!"

Mariusz looked at the situation, his mind racing. They had three casualties unlikely to be able to help themselves in the water and the zodiac had lost its integrity and was taking on filthy, near freezing water. They were fifty meters from shore, too far to get the casualties safe, and the tug was at least thirty minutes away from being of any use to them.

"Tucker," he said, "I'll try to start the engine. If it works use it to push us as close to shore as we can. Don't try to disengage from the log, just push it along, the closer we get to shore, the more we'll save."

He pointed to port to show Tucker the bank he was aiming for and then grabbed the pull string. He closed his eyes and whispered a prayer, "Holy Saint Brendan, be with me in my hour of need, let me get your Lambs safe on the shore, Amen."

He kept his wrist rigid to keep the pull smooth and fluid and bunched hie arm muscles. He held the motor firmly with his left hand and then pulled hard with his left, flicking his elbow out.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1284 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 27 May 2012
at 06:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Tucker was going to try and steer and get them closer to the shoreline so the swim isn't so bad for them and the bank hopefully will be reachable in this cold water, however, the zodiac is too badly damaged to try anything especially with the motor out of the water.  He then yells over to Jay, "Hold on to that flashlight Jay.  Either try and start to try and signal them with it now or try if we make it to shore."  Robert reaches down to his holster and draws out the H&K pistol and fires three [3] rounds into the air and then resecures the pistol back in it's holster hoping the sounds will help give the people on the boat a direction to look for them.

TUCKER
H&K Mk23 SOCOM [9/12]

Trying to get Zodiac closer to shore and fire off three distress shots to mark their location.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:06, Mon 28 May 2012.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 622 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 27 May 2012
at 06:10
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet heard the fuss on the prow and slowly realised that the rescue attempt had gone horribly long. She grabbed the intercom and said, "Griet to engine room. The zodiac is in trouble and we need power as soon as possible, get it done!"

"Will do Captain," Josef replied, "the engines will be on line in thirty minutes."

"We need it in fifteen," Griet urged.

"I'll give it all I've got, Captain," Josef grumbled, "but you can't alter the laws of Thermo-Dynamics. It'll take thirty minutes to make steam."

"Do what you can Chief."

"Griet to Sloeblume," she continued, "prepare for multiple severe cold casualties: everything's gone tits up."

She ran to the weather deck and yelled to Bayer, "We won't be able to move under power for at least thirty minutes! Drifting is too risky but we could gain a little mobility by kedging, swinging from anchor to anchor. It's a very risky tactic given our lack of power. It could gain us five to ten minutes when we get power or we could lose an anchor and start drifting ourselves but it's an option."
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 316 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sun 27 May 2012
at 12:25
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Boom!

Jay never saw the log, but the impact threw him forward violently. He smashed his face into something hard, and his world swam. A warm stickiness spewed over his face. His own blood, probably, but this was not the time for a detailed check. The sudden movement coupled with the stunned head tipped him over the side, and he spilled into the cold black water.

For a few seconds he sunk under the water, before the cold water revived him enough for him to realise what had happened and fight back. He kicked out, swimming back to what he hoped was the surface. He broke above the water and gasped, before being dragged back under by the current. Struggling further he broke the surface again, and managed to stay up, he glanced around, blood and dirty river water in his eyes. He couldn't see any of the others from the Zodiac, or the Queen.

He knew he had to move quickly. He was no Olympian, but he could swim okay. He let the current take him and kicked sideways towards what he thought was the nearest bank. Which side it was, he didn't know, but he had to get out of the water.

The cold water clawed at him, trying to sap his strength and will him to give up and let go on life. He resisted, gasping for breath every time his head broke the surface. He wanted to shout, but couldn't find a voice.

Determined to live, he struggled towards the bank...
Craig Sutherland
 player, 510 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 27 May 2012
at 22:14
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

As the alarm was raised Craig was half way to the pirate inflatable. He turned on the spot and was momentarily struck impotent unable to make the correct or any decision.

He saw and heard the others franticly trying to help, should he grab a rope, did he find a life ring, was there another small craft. It was Warren on top of the wheel house that finally spurned him into action. He joined him on the wheel house and grabbed the HK-69. Breaking it open he quickly checked the grenade was the correct one before taking a knee.

Muzzle pointed into the sky over were he thought the Zodiac and it stricken crew were located. He did a silent count down from three before pulling the trigger sending the Para flare into the evening sky.

Once it was away he spoke to Warren;

"We have people in the water any suggestions ?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2775 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 28 May 2012
at 04:35
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Craig Sutherland (msg #133):

As Warren seemed to have the lookout duty covered, so Dawid made his way over to where Sutherland was located.

"If we don't have another boat to send, then they are on their own until we can throw them a line or someone else volunteers to dive in like Jason. Help me get the pirates' Zodiac on board, even if it's in poor shape."

He looked around for more safety or rescue equipment.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 417 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Mon 28 May 2012
at 22:57
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"That PJ was our best swimmer and rescuer.  Anyone else who jumps in will be just as dead as the pirates."  this last point is punctuated by the large pistol still strapped to Warren's leg he used to execute the wounded.

"Flare is a good idea though for what its worth.  Except anyone who somehow missed the gunfight will now head this way."

Almost bored he adds as he picks up his binoculars when the flare ignites.  "For me, I'll be watching the shore.  Make sure those guys don't drown.  The PJ is a better doc than that woman and her questions."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2776 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 29 May 2012
at 08:44
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Jeff D. Warren (msg #135):

"I agree on all accounts. Let's not fret more about what we can't change. Come, Warren and McClurg are covering watch duty."

"EVERYONE! If we make contact with hostiles, battle stations as follows: Warren in crow's nest, Nguyen, McClurg and Sutherland at the MGs they were manning before. Kel, please assist me with the Vasilek, Jan you're with the Kapitan."

"When the raft come in, Jan and Kel assist Dr. Solleblum. Let's not everyone go running down to assist, they'll call for additional help as needed."


Dawid started giving Craig and Minh a hand with recovering the zodiac.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1638 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 29 May 2012
at 23:26
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
She ran to the weather deck and yelled to Bayer, "We won't be able to move under power for at least thirty minutes! Drifting is too risky but we could gain a little mobility by kedging, swinging from anchor to anchor. It's a very risky tactic given our lack of power. It could gain us five to ten minutes when we get power or we could lose an anchor and start drifting ourselves but it's an option."


Bayer curses quietly to himself, noting that he could see his breath in the cold night, which made his heart sink further. He never thought the tree was going to end up being a threat to his men and regretted not realizing that he needed to warn Robert. He was a panzergrenadier captain... not a man of the water or boats.

He then waves back at Griet and responds flatly, "Do it." He then sighs and thinks to himself, I'm glad you are here...

Bayer will remain on the bridge, ready to put himself or others to use once the boat got a little closer to the men in the water or the shore.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2536 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 30 May 2012
at 03:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

The Zodiac, shipping water and impaled on the jagged root cluster of the floating log, is carried further from the Queen. There's not much that the small boat crew can do now but hold on and hope for the best. Tucker fires three shots in the air in order to make clear the recue crew's plight. (Tucker -3 rounds)

A parachute flare pops to life overhead, illuminating the area in its dancing light. Those on board the tug can now see the rescue party- now in need of rescuing themselves- as it drifts away on the current. Below decks, the tug crew works feverishly to work up a head of steam, shovelling heaps of coal into the firebox while on the main deck, x & y raise the rear anchor in preparation for an attempt at kedging downriver. (Craig -1 paraflare)

Mariusz'a attempt to restart the Zodiac's outboard meets with success. The engine roars to life and Tucker, as instructed, dips the propeller back into the water, pulling the tiller hard over. It takes a few seconds for the propeller to gain traction before the log starts moving towards the western shore. The Zodiac, although impaled on the tree's jagged roots and badly damaged, no longer appears in danger of sinking. It's with this reassuring observation that the boat crew realizes that they are one short- Jay is no longer aboard.

Jay, alone and in the river, stuggles to reorient himself and stay afloat. Fortunately, he's not wearing any body armor, so, although his boots and other gear are dragging him down, he can keep his head above water. For a few long seconds he knows only that he's in the frigid Vistula. As be bobs along, he catches several glimpses of the lit tug, but he's not sure which direction the near shore is in. Then the parachute flare ignites overhead. He spots the dark outline of the near bank and immediately starts kicking towards it.

On board the tug, several Kommando's haul the pirates Zodiac on board. It has no engine- only oars- and is riddled with bullet, shot, and shrapnel holes. It's clearly not in proper floating condition. Others keep the drifting rescue party under observation as it creeps closer to the east bank of the river. The flare Craig launched is descending rapidly and soon it will land in the river between the tug and the log-impaled Zodiac.

The Zodiac slows as its bottom drags against the muddy riverbed just a few meters from dry land. The massive log continues to push it along, but at a much slower pace now. With the friction of the dragging rubber boat slowing the tree's leading end and acting as a pivot, the far end of the tree swings out into the current and away from the boat. In effect, the tree acts like a pole-vaulter's vaulting pole. Aware that the impaled Zodiac might be ripped from the shallows by the pull of the continuing tree, the rescue crew scrambles off the doomed inflatable boat, grabbing as much gear as they can. Almost as soon as the last person debarks, the Zodiac is pulled out of the shallows and away, disappearing into the darkness.

As the rescue party- sans Jay- struggles to get to solid ground, they fail to notice a group of armed men and boys watching them from the low bank. When Tucker finally spots them, it's too late. He counts no less than ten silhouettes forming an arc around riverbank. They've got their guns drawn and the small, wet, shivering boat crew in their sights.

"Hands up! Get your motherfucking hands up right now!"

Anyone on board the tug using any sort of vision enhancement device sees this much before the para-flare sinks, sputtering, into the river. At this point, the surrounding area sinks back into darkness, and nothing more that follows can be seen.

Jay, lies on his back on the muddy riverbank, gasping for breath. He's shivering and exhausted and his nose is clogged with snot and blood. Over the pounding in his temples he hears someone yelling in what he's pretty sure is Polish- he doesn't recognize the voice, though. He's lost his rifle but he's still got his Khukri.


Turn Summary: The party is now split. Tucker, Mariusz, LaRue, and Connolly are now on the west bank, under the guns of a group of at least 10 strangers.

Jay is about 50m upriver from them. He doesn't see anyone in his immediate vicinity.

The tug is probably 20m away from getting underway. In the meantime, it will kedge downriver, slowly closing the distance to the marooned rescue party. Those on board the tug can no longer see what's going on on the shore.


Updated Tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.166576,0.528374


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:15, Wed 30 May 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2777 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 30 May 2012
at 09:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid was disappointed when he saw the raft had no engine. That would have been nice, but they'd take what they could get. If the bullet holes couldn't be fixed, then maybe it could be used to patch the other boat.

"Okay, everyone, back to your battle stations for now, until we stand down or the Kapitan or Dr. Solleblum needs you for medical duty.

"Kel, you're on the gun with me. Do you have any experience with large wepaons like this?"

Minh Quyen
 player, 631 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 30 May 2012
at 14:57
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
After helping the others pull in the pirates boat Quyen instinctively looks towards the unseen shoreline as someone opens fire. At first she mistakes the unexpected shooting for another attack again and she begins racing up the ladder to the DSHK once more... that is until the flare bursts overhead and lights up the rescue party.

Quyen then lingers on the ladder (or stairs) for a moment while she watches helplessly as the rescue party flounders in the river. She then continues up and returns to her position behind the large machinegun. The sounds of the tug's crew prepping it for action helped put her at ease a little, but not by much. Not being able to do something was painful.

Quyen will remain at her post. At this time she is unaware of the unknown men by the shore (she has no night vision) but will be ready to act when the time comes.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 511 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 31 May 2012
at 09:40
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Craig helps pull in what is left of the zodiac the pirates attacked in. He dose not linger when the call to stations is given. As Tucker is with the rescue party Craig takes up the position on the port DShK.

He manoeuvres the large heavy machine gun on its mount to point up river at the new threat to the rescue party. The deck was slick with blood and water but he was able to keep his footing. With his NVG's down Craig gave a SITRIP of what he could see to anyone within air shot.

He ended with;

"I could give them a burst over their heads."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 623 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 31 May 2012
at 16:05
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Twenty minutes to steam, Kaptain," Griet called out, "do you want the spotlight deployed anywhere or are we going to play things cool?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2778 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 31 May 2012
at 19:41
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg #142):

While Dawid wasn't about to open fire without provocation, he wasn't above reminding the strangers (who might just be towns-folk, after all) their people had friends. Friends with big guns.

Assuming Konrad doesn't preemptively countermand Griet's suggestion, he called up, "yes, shine the light on shore!"

Using the spotlight, Dawid attempted to train and aimed the Vasilek at the larger group on the western shore. It was too far to use night vision goggles, and the range also made it very hard to tell friend from foe. He had a clip of 82mm HE shells ready to go in the magazine. He really wished they had some smoke ammunition to cover their friends' retreat (and it was non-lethal), but needs must as the devil drives...

Noting the crew beginning preparations to kedge (even if he didn't quite know how or what would happen) Dawid said, "Kapitan, Griet, whatever movement we make isn't going to matter all that much for now. Keep things stable for now so I can provide effective fire support. Or, drifting with the current like that log will get us closer, too."

OOC: I am assuming that crew members are now scrambling to begin kedging. Dawid doesn't know what that is, but he knows this will make the boat more stable. I make the range at 750-800m.

In theory, drifting with the current we should go at the speed of the log, and it covered the distance in far less than 20 minutes! As well, the log seemed to be drifting closer to the west bank, which is where we need to go. When we're where we want to be or get drawn too close to shore, drop anchor.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:32, Thu 31 May 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1639 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 04:04
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
"Twenty minutes to steam, Kaptain," Griet called out, "do you want the spotlight deployed anywhere or are we going to play things cool?"


"Kool." Bayer says quietly, observing the activity on the shore through his image intensifiers. He then says louder so that the rest can hear, "Weapons hold. Pass it on."

Bayer then lowers the optics and moves down to Griet's position where he says quietly, "If they wanted to do harm to Sergeant Tucker and his men... I think they would have done so by now when they had full surprise. Keep getting the tug ready for action, but lets not provoke or frighten them them into doing anything rash. This is in Robert's hands until we can be ready to move." He didn't say it aloud, but hoped his American friend or anyone else didn't do anything crazy.

Bayer then notes the river's edge and asks, "Griet... how close can you get us without getting stuck? Enough to disembark a shore party that can wade in?"

Following Griet's reply, Bayer moves from each battle position to the next, stopping each time to observe the shore again and keeping the Kommando's calm - but ready to unleash the full power at their disposal if things turned worse. An ILLUM para-flare is still loaded in his launcher.

OOC - Rae, does Tucker have his radio? Bayer will try to transmit if he does.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:16, Fri 01 June 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2781 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 05:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #144):

Dawid nodded as Konrad inspected the forward weapons station, "Kapitan, sir, everyone is at action stations. I will make sure one will fire.

"Vasilek is loaded with fragmentation but I was wrong, cannot engage shore to rear, nor can spotlight be brought to bear.

"Suggest we release the forward anchor, so that we swing around. If we need to move, just drift with current, worked well for log!"

"Last, McClurg is on AGS-17, facing rear. Only weapon that can fire to rear. Put Jan on that one; I trust Jan but do not know this new man, McClurg."

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1640 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 11:07
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
</Blue>"Last, McClurg is on AGS-17, facing rear. Only weapon that can fire to rear. Put Jan on that one; I trust Jan but do not know this new man, McClurg."</Blue>


Bayer nods at the assessments, then on the last point motions towards Jan and says, "Yes, switch them up quietly."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 624 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 16:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"I can release the bow anchor to bring the Vasilsek to bear," Griet said, "I will not let the Queen drift in the river, it's too dangerous. Without power we could get into serious trouble. Once we have power I can get you close to the bank but not to the shore without taking depth soundings, again we risk too much by butting in blindly. Without a landing craft, I'm pretty sure we won't be able to get close enough to land a shore party unless we find a jetty or a pier."

"Do you want me to swing the boat around?"
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1312 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 16:44
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
When Konrad nodded his agreement with Dawid's suggestion Jan quickly changed positions, moving quickly to the AGS-17 and speaking to McClurg.

"Mac, we change positions," he explained hurriedly.  "Capitaine Bayer wants you to go and join Dawid and help him."

A McClurg set off, with an encouraging pat on the shoulder from Jan, to report to Dawid the Legionnaire secured his AK nearby and then quickly checked over the AGS-17.  Once he was satisfied that it was ok he quickly flicked on his NVGs to scan around.  In only a matter of seconds he confirmed what he had though, that the distances were beyond the capabilities of his NVGs, and he turned them off again.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2783 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 2 Jun 2012
at 00:03
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
"Do you want me to swing the boat around?"


"Yes. Pardon me for saying, I believe Kapitan Bayer seems to be in accord with turning the tug to put the Vasilek and spotlight into play. I can't see the harm, so let's do that immediately. Further moves will come when we have power.

"Griet, do those on shore have a radio? Assuming they do, make contact and advise them to mark their position with flares or lights."


Dawid moved to where he could see the rear deck, at least a little. He assumed Jan had manned the Plamya without delay. "Jan, my friend, until we bring the Queen about provide cover to those on shore! If we can, we'll get them to mark their position."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:24, Sat 02 June 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2541 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 2 Jun 2012
at 00:15
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

By leaving the stern anchor in place and pulling up the bow anchor, the tug slowly pivots so that her bow is now pointed downriver.

A nearly out-of-breath Gryzych calls up to the bridge from the engine room through the speaking tube. "We can probably give you half power in 10 minutes."

Now that the tug is reoriented, both the bridge-mounted spotlight and the Vasilek can be brought to bear. The tug is ready to set off at once as soon as there is enough power available to make some way. Drifting with the current is a dangerous option because Griet really won't be able to steer. There are a lot of shallows and mudbanks in this part of the river (from what you could see the day before) and a large island up ahead. It's probably best to wait ten minutes so that more can be done to avoid such potentially damaging obstacles.

The spotlight is trained forward and sweeps the west bank first. On the second pass, a group of figures can be made out moving away from the river (inland and north). There looks to be about two dozen people there- if it's the rescue party, it looks like they've met some new friends. Both the Vasilek and the Dishkas have the range to reach out and touch them, but without being able to pick and choose targets, the chances of friendly fire deaths are almost certain.


Next Moves?
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2784 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 2 Jun 2012
at 00:40
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #150):

Studying the tableau through binoculars, Dawid fought a sinking feeling of helplessness. The group seemed to include their friends, but they hadn't made an effort to contact the ship and were now moving away. Once they got out of sight, there would be nothing they could do to to influence the situation.

"Kapitan! Target sighted! Permission to fire warning shot, fragmentation, 200m in front of group!"

With Kel's help, Dawid carefully aimed the Vasilek at a spot that would make an impression but (hopefully) not cause casualties. He wouldn't fire without permission, but no harm in preparing!
Craig Sutherland
 player, 512 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 2 Jun 2012
at 09:15
Re: Ch. 18: Plock


It was an almost instantaneous realisation that his NVG's where not going to be any help, so he flicked them off. Standing behind the big gun he wondered if he would have been more effective behind his G3 and scope.

He glanced up to the top of the wheel house, he could not see Warren but he felt assured he would have the rescue team under observation. Craig grabbed the bolt handle and pulling it back slightly, checked a round was in the chamber of the DShK.

He eased it forward and resumed the wait for the order to engage or to stand down.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 625 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 2 Jun 2012
at 10:24
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet glanced up at Warren as she focused the searchlight on the group by the waterside. She hoped that the group holding their comrades weren't affiliated to the men who Warren had calmly executed with his knife. If they were, she hoped they hadn't seen the treatment of their friends by the ship's crew. If they had, it might not go well for the unfortunate crew members on the bank.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1642 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 12:53
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Kapitan! Target sighted! Permission to fire warning shot, fragmentation, 200m in front of group!"


Bayer lowers his image intensifiers and responds, "No. No firepower demonstrations. Nothing until we are mobile." Bayer then continues to watch. He didn't want to provoke an unidentified party who's intentions were not known yet... not while friendly troops were exposed anyways. Whoever was out there would also probably realize that we can't use our superior firepower without hitting our own people anyways.

Calling down to the main deck again, Bayer asks, "Griet... time?" He then climbs down and approaches her directly, "I know you can't beach the boat or risk navigating at night, but once we get power, I need to land a party... at least waist deep." He then looks at her for a response.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 626 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 13:53
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet looked at the drama unfolding on shore and then heard the Kaptain's question, "I can give you half power in ten minutes," she answered, "I wouldn't want to operate much faster than that in the dark anyway. I can't guarantee how close I can get you to shore but once we're nearer I'll start shooting bursts from the bow thrusters to shift us sideways. That will let us feel where the shelving of the bank becomes too shallow for us to continue without beaching us. I'll need people at the side with the gaff hooks feeling for obstructions."

"I can then get you about four meters closer by hooking the gang plank to the crane, that way you can run out on that and if we're close enough jump to shore," She continued, "if we're not close enough I can lower it into the water and you can send someone out to judge the depth."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1643 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 14:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer nods at Griet's response. He then moves to find Jan and says, "Dawid will keep us covered with the main gun. I need you to muster up some men to help check the water depth."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 627 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 14:08
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Tadeusz," Griet called to her deck hand, "rig the gang plank up to the derrick, we'll need to use it as an assault ramp: remember the Corvus that father showed us in that book?"
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1315 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 20:17
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan had been about to start moving the AGS-17 round to the prow of the boat, so that it could also fire directly in support of the men on shore, when Konrad gave him some different orders.

Konrad Bayer:
He then moves to find Jan and says, "Dawid will keep us covered with the main gun. I need you to muster up some men to help check the water depth."

"Oui mon Capitaine," replied Jan as he cast another glance round the boat, trying to remember who was still on board, settling initially on Craig on one of the DShKs.  "Craig.  With me and get hold of a boathook.  We have to check the water depth."

Jan then turned to Griet and called out to her while he picked up a boathook of his own.  "Griet, can you spare Walter to help me and Craig?"

While he waited for Griet to answer Jan turned back to Konrad with another question that would be important fairly soon.  "Capitaine, who is going ashore?  You, me, Craig and Jeff?"  He was keen to get off the boat and onto dry land where he would be considerably more use than he was at present.  Hunting down the group who, it seemed, had taken the rescue party prisoner was much more within Jan's capabilities!

For the moment though he did his bit as a less than junior deckhand, not entirely sure what he was actually doing with a boathook!
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 628 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 21:03
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"We don't need to feel our way until we have power," Griet said, "if you help Tadeusz and Walter rig up the gang plank, when we do move, you can have both deck hands to help you. You'll need to be very careful: the river is notoriously fickle here, there could be sand bars between us and the bank. There was also a sand quarry there so we'll need to be careful of sunken barges. We might get lucky however, if the sand barges took enough of the sand away before they stopped there might be a nice bank to come up against where they've dug out all the depositions. That might make this part of the river run faster and transfer the sand to the island in front of us. Though the day we get lucky is the day I kiss Dr. Soleblume."

She remembered what her father had said about the river here. People had always battled to stop it changing fickley and they had often failed. One of his lectures had told her about the kempes, strange islands in the river that were unusual because the weren't made out of deposited sand and had been filled with massive, old growth trees. Originally folk lore had said they were the camps of the giants of the river, held there since time immemorial but later study found they were part of the land that had been cut off by the river's meanderings. Adam had shown her old charts where the island up ahead had changed in appearance over the years, waxing and waning and sometimes rejoining the land it had been sundered from centuries ago.

This wasn't the stretch of river she would have picked for night time manovures but if they were careful they should keep the boat intact even if they couldn't help their friends easily. She kicked herself mentally, only an arrogant fool would have left Warsaw with just one ship's boat. Call yourself a Captain, she thought to herself, you're still that silly spoilt girl that ran away to sea to be like her Daddy.

She idly fingered the medals of St. Jude and St. Brendan, let the sand quarriers have done us a favour, she prayed, let them have taken away enough sand to have stopped the sand bars from forming here, let us get our friends back.

She poked her head out of the window and called to Warren, "Sweep the bank we are heading for with the spotlight, the charts show evidence of sand quarrying, maybe there's a jetty."
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1316 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 21:19
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"OK," Jan replied to Griet before moving to join Tadeusz and Walter.  Making the assumption that Walter was in charge of rigging up the extended gang plank Jan turned to him, switching to Polish to ensure that there were no misunderstandings.

"Walter.  Tell me what you need me to do?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1644 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 22:13
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Cut the lights." Bayer says, before Jan gets underway.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 513 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 5 Jun 2012
at 00:21
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Craig lent a hand where he was needed before collecting his gear for the land rescue mission.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2544 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 5 Jun 2012
at 02:37
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Before the spotlight is cut, you see the people on shore move quickly,  disappearing into some thick foliage to the northeast. With the folks on shore out of sight, Griet shifts the spotlight beam to the near shore. It's hard to tell in the harsh glare of the spotlight but here and there it looks like some excavation of the sandy shore has taken place. Walter recollects how the defenders of Warsaw used sand and mud dredged up from the river bed to build fortifications during the siege of the city, a few years back. Since then, however, it looks like the mighty Vistula has moved quite a bit of sediment back into the spots that had been dredged out. The net result is a combination sandbank/mudflat expending past the riverbank proper about 30 feet or so at its narrowest, 50 or so at its widest.

The deck crew begins rigging the gangway to the derrick, creating a shaky but serviceable assault bridge that can extend about 18 feet past the tug's gunwhale. This leaves about 15 feet between the end of the bridge and the shallows. The tug's life rafts- small two-man rubber dingies- might make it to shore, but it would be a considerable risk. They're not designed to carry fully armed troops in heavy winter gear. There's also a couple of empty 50 gallon drums available that used to hold methanol that will float, and there's plenty of cordage aboard.

By the time the gangway "corvus" is finished, the engine room reports half power available for both of the tug's screws. With the deck crew and security force keeping careful watch on both the river ahead and the banks beyond, the tug gets underway, moving downriver at approximately 10kph.

Next Moves?
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2785 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 5 Jun 2012
at 05:08
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer nods at Griet's response. He then moves to find Jan and says, "Dawid will keep us covered with the main gun. I need you to muster up some men to help check the water depth."


"Sir!"

He kept the weapon aimed in the correct direction, while also trying to find aiming point in case the light went out. On one hand there were the lights of the town to the right, and he could see the (empty) bank to the left in his NVGs. It wasn't the best, but at least he would have a rough sector to cover.

"Well done, "Kel", thanks."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 420 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Wed 6 Jun 2012
at 05:57
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Warren had been propped up, using the maximum zoom of his rifle to track the unknown group.  Unfortunately, the range was just too much to identify anyone solidly in the bad light, even with the spotlight.

"I've lost sight of the shore group.  Took off through the woods."  He is reasonably confident that if he were standing where they were at the shore, he could lead them in the right-ish direction.  But only briefly.

"Good news is the river looks calm.  Enough.  Where do you need me?"  Warren had been severely looking forward to the end of his shift.  The pirates were no big deal, but going back on shore was not something he looked forward to.  Otherwise, he helps Jan out with preparations to go ashore, assuming that he would be going.  He double checks his night vision charge, and debates swapping the sniper rifle out for an AK.  In the end he decides against it, keeping the sport rifle.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:59, Wed 06 June 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1645 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 16:27
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff D. Warren:
"Good news is the river looks calm.  Enough.  Where do you need me?"


"On land." Bayer replies, giving the American the answer he wasn't hoping for.

Bayer then moves to where Jan and Craig are helping with the depth sounding and says, "Warren, Quyen, Lt.Sutherland and yourself, are to accompany me on shore." he explains to the Czech. "Get everyone kitted up when you're done here."

Once that is clear, Bayer heads to the stern mounted Vasilek, their most trusted and decisive asset on board since first leaving Krakow. Crouching next to the weapon, he silently counts the various types of 82mm rounds before saying to the NCO, "Dawid, I'm stripping as many hands as possible to get a strong presence on the ground. I need the Vasilek and one DSHK to be ready for support fire."

Then finally, Bayer confirms with Griet his intentions and waits until the landing can commence. Although, he'll leave Jan in tactical control of the section, he'll be the first one off the boat. If the gangplank can't get them all the way to the land, he will jump down into the water first without his rifle, NVGs or radio (basically his tac vest). Then if it is safe, those on board will hand it down and they can continue with that same method. They already lost some people in the river tonight... he didn't want to lose weapons and equipment too.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:08, Thu 07 June 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1317 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 16:31
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Having helped create the assault bridge Jan reported to Konrad again.  Nodding in understanding at his orders Jan then checked his gear again, deciding to leave the LAW behind as it was hopefully overkill, and made his way back to the assault bridge.

"Griet, the end of the gangplank is about six or seven meters from the bank.  We can jump to make that shorter but how deep do you think the water will be and will we be able to wade ashore or will we get stuck in mud?"

This message was last edited by the player at 16:35, Thu 07 June 2012.

Minh Quyen
 player, 632 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 19:15
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Quyen hears her name mentioned but remains at the machinegun until the tugboat is ready to unload them. If Jan looks up she will give him a thumbs up to let him know that she is aware that she has been ordered ashore and is ready to go.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 629 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 19:37
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"It's likely to be muddy and make life difficult," Griet said, "if I were you I'd make a quick raft out of the oil drums and some wood and send one person to shore with a rope. Then you can use the raft to ferry people ashore using the rope to guide the raft. It'll take a bit more time but everyone will get ashore safely, dry and without losing gear."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2788 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 22:23
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #166):

quote:
Once that is clear, Bayer heads to the stern mounted Vasilek, their most trusted and decisive asset on board since first leaving Krakow. Crouching next to the weapon, he silently counts the various types of 82mm rounds before saying to the NCO, "Dawid, I'm stripping as many hands as possible to get a strong presence on the ground. I need the Vasilek and one DSHK to be ready for support fire."


Dawid nodded in agreement. They seemed to have a quantity of ammunition.

"Yes, Kaptain. I can man the mortar myself. McClurg will man the Dushka.

"I'll take McClurg, he was a helicopter door gunner seems handy with a machinegun. Griet will relay indirect fire requests via the radio set on the bridge. Take flares to mark your position for direct fire. I guess that's about it.

"Best of luck!"


He arranged for all the radios to be on the correct frequency, and for an alternate. Further, he set up the PKM on the left bow pintle.

Instructions to McClurg:

"We're supporting the shore party, they're going to retrieve our comrades. At this time I believe the threat is to port, that is, the west or left hand side. I will keep watch here on the bow and port side, you cover the rear and starboard side from the bridge deck. When I request, man the portside Dushka to provide additional support."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:38, Fri 08 June 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1318 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 8 Jun 2012
at 09:20
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
"It's likely to be muddy and make life difficult," Griet said, "if I were you I'd make a quick raft out of the oil drums and some wood and send one person to shore with a rope. Then you can use the raft to ferry people ashore using the rope to guide the raft. It'll take a bit more time but everyone will get ashore safely, dry and without losing gear."

After getting a thumbs up from Quyen and listening to Griet's answer Jan called over to Konrad.

"Capitaine.  Do we have time to make a raft or are we wading ashore?"

Griet's advice was solid but the longer they waited the further away the others would get and trying to track them in the dark was going to be slow and awkward.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1646 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 8 Jun 2012
at 21:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Best of luck!"

"Danke... thank you." Bayer says. "We won't be long."
Jan Cerny:
"Capitaine.  Do we have time to make a raft or are we wading ashore?"

"No. We move as soon as we have power." he replies after a moment of silence. "We get our feet wet... but it is it safe if we do it like I will show."
Craig Sutherland
 player, 514 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 9 Jun 2012
at 05:49
Re: Ch. 18: Plock


With his gear at the rail Craig went over it one final time. He had debated with himself to leave the G3, deciding against it. He did one last physical and visual check of his assault vest and PLCE webbing making sure everything he needed was in place.

This was not the first wet landing he had made in this war, a big bonus was that this one would hopefully not be under fire. As he waited for the order to move his mind wondered over memories he would rather forget.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2550 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 10 Jun 2012
at 02:13
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

0330 hours

Using the engines (still at 1/2 output) to control and steer rather than propel the tug (the current's taking care of that), Griet edges the Queen towards the west bank. Warren lights the way with the roof-mounted spotlight.

In the meantime, Dawid arranges a short-handed tug security detail while Konrad organizes and prepares a shore-party for deployment as soon as the tug is within wading distance of dry land.

The tug moves slowly shoreward at an increasingly shallow angle until, with an odd slapping/sucking sound, it slows gradually to a full stop. Griet knows instantly that she's run up on a mudbank and she immediately cuts power. Due to the tug's low speed at the time of impact, Griet is confident that the Queen is not yet close to being stuck fast. She slowly reverses thrust on the main screws to make sure that the current doesn't push the tug any further up onto the mud bank. It's not the perfect landing but, under the circumstances, it's pretty close.

The deck crew engages the derrick and extends the makeshift "corvus" assault bridge. You see now that the riverbank here has been buttressed with a sheer-sided concrete retaining wall- a testament to the communist's regimes prewar flood control projects. The far end of the corvus just barely kisses the concrete, allowing the recovery team to set foot on dry land without getting wet first. Considering how cold it is, this is a blessing indeed.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:56, Tue 12 June 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1647 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 10 Jun 2012
at 02:51
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer leans over the edge and peers down into the blackness of the water and riverbank below while the last of the landing preparations are completed. Then once he's gotten the signal from Griet, he passes off his rifle and tac-vest, and makes his way onto the assault bridge. Bayer will jump the last meter to the solid ground and look for any unseen footfalls before signally for the rest to follow him.

Following the shore party's landing, Bayer places everyone in an all around defense for a listening halt and a brief co-ord meeting with Jan. "Get your lead man heading towards the village and moving at a good pace." he whispers, adding the bearing to the community that he took from his compass when he was on the Queen. "Open fire policy is self defense only. Action on any contact is to halt, go to ground, and assess."

Bayer then glances at his watch and says, "I'll be in the middle of your section. Step off time is now. Let's go get our people."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:52, Sun 10 June 2012.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 515 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 10 Jun 2012
at 03:04
Re: Ch. 18: Plock


Craig securely slung his weapon across his back as he made his way across the small bridge. He tried to clear the water as much as possible, more to keep his feet dry then any tactical reason. Once on the bank he unslung his rifle and with it at his shoulder he crawled slowly over the bank scanning for stragglers or sentry's left behind.

He lay flat as he slowly scanned the terrain in front of him.

Rescue Team
Laying flat as he scans in front

HK G3SG/1 (w/ Zeiss 1.5-6 x 42 mm Telescopic Sight)[20/20] w/14 magazines
L32A1 (Browning A5) 10" Barrel [4/3]
Browning HP-35 (w/ silencer) [20/20] w/2 magazines
Smoke grenade x1
Frag Grenade F1 x6 RKG-3 AT Grenade Grenade, L13A2 CS E-108 Thermite Grenade x2
Kukri
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2790 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 10 Jun 2012
at 10:57
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #175):

Before Konrad and the others left, Dawid suggested the two groups use call signs along the lines of the last engagement:

Alpha: Shore Party (Konrad)
Bravo: Fire Support (Dawid)
Queen: The tug (Griet)


Technically, calls would be between the Queen and Alpha. OOC: can we rig some kind of retrans using the Queen's radio, and Dawid's hand radio? Anyone know?

If the shore party needed to split up they could add designation as needed (Alpha One, Two, etc.). That was unlikely to affect comms with the Queen.

"Try and find a wharf! I'd love to unload the Ural, get it back on land, again. Again, good luck."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 422 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Sun 10 Jun 2012
at 19:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff jumps the gap and lands on shore dry.  Once there he moves 10 meters off into the woodline until everyone is ashore.  Satisfied that there are no contacts in close proximity, he moves back to Konrad.

"Order of march?"


Jeff Warren
On Shore
SAKO TRG-21 [10/10] + 5
SOCOM Mk.23 [12/12] + 2

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1320 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 11 Jun 2012
at 22:08
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
After he'd made it ashore and was in the all-round defence position Jan responded to Konrad's question.  "OK, I will take point, then Craig, then the Capitaine, then Quyen and then Jeff bringing up the rear."

He then quickly conducted a radio check before fixing his NVGs over his eyes and turning them on.  He then set off in the direction that Konrad had indicated, setting a good pace initially to try to catch up with their missing friends.

As he moved he looked for a recently travelled path alongside the river.  The men who they were trying to follow had seemed to be in quite a sizeable group so there were bound to be signs of their passing on the route they had taken, even though they would be hard to spot in the dark.  Trampled grass, boot prints in the mud or something like that.  Jan had some experience of tracking, though he was more concerned with finding the right route rather than working out details of their targets.

He also kept his rifle ready, though he intended to follow Konrad's orders and stop and go to ground if he spotted anything vaguely threatening.  The lack of firing when the others had been captured or rescued or whatever it was that had happened made it unclear whether Jan was walking everyone into a violent confrontation or not!


Jan
AK-74 Assault Rifle (30/30 - 30rnd mag x11) - carried
BG-15 Grenade Launcher (1/1 HE - HE x19) - underslung on AK-74
P226 Pistol (15/15 - 15rnd mag x4) - holster
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch
AN/PVS-5 NVGs - worn

Minh Quyen
 player, 633 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 01:58
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan Cerny:
After he'd made it ashore and was in the all-round defence position Jan responded to Konrad's question.  "OK, I will take point, then Craig, then the Capitaine, then Quyen and then Jeff bringing up the rear."


"Understood." Quyen whispers back with a nod.

Minh then waited and covered her arcs until it was time to move. She didn't have NVGs like most of the others but didn't mind the equipment deficiency. Her eyes had gotten used to the night since the pirate attack and she rather liked using just her own natural senses, all of them, to help keep alert for any trouble. On the move she glided throught the riverside grasses silently, not burdened down with heavy and bulky webbing and body armor.

If Quyen spots anything (on the flanks) she will tap the person ahead and point, and then quietly lower herself into cover.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 01:59, Tue 12 June 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2552 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 21:01
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

The recovery team regroups on shore and sets out after the inaptly named rescue party. Jan has little problem finding the spot where the strangers presumably captured his friends. The soft earth near the bank is pitted with footprints and the dead grass that borders it is smashed down by many booted feet. It isn't too hard to follow the trail for a bit, but eventually, Jan loses it. It's too dark and the nearly-frozen earth beneath the tall, dormant overgrowth is relatively clear of grass, leaving little sign of the passage of even a large group. The best that Jan can do is follow the azimuth he believes the captors were taking and keep his eyes open for positive spoor supporting his hunch.

Meanwhile, back on the tug, the security forces keeps a close eye on the near (west) bank. McClurg, an accomplished machinegunner, keeps watch on the tug's unengaged side from behind the gun shield of the starboard Dishka. Dawid keeps an eye on the near shore, watching the recovery team move up towards the spot where the rescue party had set foot on shore. They linger for a while, picking up the trail, before disappearing into some brush and trees to the northeast.

The recovery team moves slowly and cautiously, aware that the strangers they are attempting to follow may have set up an ambush along their backtrail.

After advancing probably 200m or so, Jan stops the patrol. He hears movement up ahead- someone or something is moving noisily through the brush and it sounds like it's coming straight for them.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:53, Tue 12 June 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1322 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 13 Jun 2012
at 11:27
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
After signalling to the rest of the recovery patrol that he could hear some men approaching from the direction he had guessed the rescue party had been taken, Jan ducked into cover on the land side of the path.  He positioned himself so that if the enemy fled away from the path they would be blocked on one side by the recovery group and on the other side by the river, after a short distance.

Jan then aimed his rifle, ready to fire if necessary but intending on issuing a challenge once the approaching group were in the middle of the kill zone.  As the main Polish speaker amongst the recovery group he was conscious that he would need to ensure that the encounter didn't immediately turn bloody!

There was also the chance that the approaching group was actually the rescue party returning, though he would have expected many of them to move a lot more quietly!


Jan
Lying prone on the landward side of the path.
Covering the approaching group, intending on calling out a warning to halt and surrender once they are in the middle of the kill zone.
AK-74 Assault Rifle (30/30 - 30rnd mag x11) - carried
BG-15 Grenade Launcher (1/1 HE - HE x19) - underslung on AK-74
P226 Pistol (15/15 - 15rnd mag x4) - holster
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch
AN/PVS-5 NVGs - worn

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 635 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 13 Jun 2012
at 15:08
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet continued to man the bridge in order to keep a careful watch and run the radio relay. She used the intercom to speak with engineering, "Good job people, leave one person on the engines and get some rest in shifts."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2794 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 14 Jun 2012
at 03:25
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg # 183):

Satisfied the bow and port sectors were covered, Dawid walked over and looked up, making sure McClurg was on his arc.

Getting back to the Vasilek, he used the intercom to call up to Griet, "is there some way we can rig up this speaker and microphone to transmit via the ship's radio set? That way I could receive coordinates for fire missions without the extra step. Less chance for a mistake."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 423 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Thu 14 Jun 2012
at 06:07
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff freezes when Jan signals.  He slowly and carefully lowers himself down, taking the time to shift himself to the rear.  He did not want to be snuck up on.


Jeff Warren
Covering Rear

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 636 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 14 Jun 2012
at 15:20
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet replied to Dawid, "Not that I know of, the boat's radio is a push to speak system, it only transmits or recieves. There might be a way of doing it but not one that I can rig up. At least the intercom's better than yelling."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1648 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 15 Jun 2012
at 01:52
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan Cerny:
After signalling to the rest of the recovery patrol...

Bayer catches the signal and hastily passes it on the rest of the patrol beside him. He then takes cover like the rest, scurrying into an somewhat extended line, but still roughly in the middle of the group. Bayer then turns on his night vision goggles and whispers into his radio, "Jan, one clear challenge... make it count."

Bayer then levels his weapon in the direction of the approaching party and flips the selector lever to automatic just in case Jan's challenge is met with gunfire. Inside of his launcher sits an ILLUM paraflare.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:00, Fri 15 June 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2555 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 16 Jun 2012
at 16:49
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

As the noise of breaking brush draws nearer, Jan calls out a challenge.

"Halt! Who goes there?"

It's followed by a few seconds of silence. Whoever or whatever was making the racket has stopped. The rest of the recovery team is primed and tense, ready to lash the area up ahead with fire should the need become apparent.

Then, out of the darkness comes a somewhat slurred response.

"Ith Jay! Don't thoot!"


Next Moves?
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1649 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 16 Jun 2012
at 17:19
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Still positioned in the hasty ambush, Bayer responds, "Are you alone?" If Jay is by himself, Bayer will call back to instruct him to advance closer. However, if he is not alone, regardless of who is with him (friendly or not), Bayer will follow the usual method and instruct only Jay to approach him and the rest of the group.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:21, Sat 16 June 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2795 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 16 Jun 2012
at 18:09
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
Griet replied to Dawid, "Not that I know of, the boat's radio is a push to speak system, it only transmits or recieves. There might be a way of doing it but not one that I can rig up. At least the intercom's better than yelling."


Dawid clicked on the intercom.

"Understood. Well, maybe we can rig up a speaker down here, so at least I can hear the incoming instructions. So that we don't drop explosives on the wrong person."
Minh Quyen
 player, 634 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 16 Jun 2012
at 20:49
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Quyen remains motionless and keeps her arcs covered. The ground is cold but she is so focused on what was happening that she barely feels her body heat draining away. Quyen listens to the natural sounds of the night and those of Jay, and tries to hear anything else that might help alert them to more might be out there. If any shooting does break out Minh will try to engage only muzzle flashes and not just any shadowy figure that enters her view.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 516 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 16 Jun 2012
at 22:10
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Craig had slung his rifle and now had the short barrel shotgun covering the potential ambush. Buckshot was always good in a pinch and had discourage further attack before.

He doubted Jay would be a willing participate in any enemy action but you cant be sure in these mad times.

Rescue Team
Second in line taking a knee


L32A1 (Browning A5) 10" Barrel [4/3]00 Buckshot

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 637 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 17 Jun 2012
at 07:40
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"That should be possible," Griet said, "the intercom system was rigged up using old telecomms gear so there should be a way of rigging up a duplex system and getting you a headset for hands free work. If one of the fly boys knows electronics I'll get them on it."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2796 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 17 Jun 2012
at 09:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
"That should be possible," Griet said, "the intercom system was rigged up using old telecomms gear so there should be a way of rigging up a duplex system and getting you a headset for hands free work. If one of the fly boys knows electronics I'll get them on it."


"I have the impression that one of them, not McClurg but Kellerman, is a mechanic. Try him. Thanks!"
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1324 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 17 Jun 2012
at 10:32
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
When Jay called out Jan felt a sense of relief!  At least one of the missing troops looked to have escaped and with a bit of luck he would know what had happened to the others!  There was even a chance that he had been released as a messenger by whomever had taken the others prisoner and they could get more of an idea as to what the hell was going on!

Jan continued scanning into the dark in the direction of the voice however, using his NVGs to peer into the gloom in an attempt to pick out any forms.  Jay had been making a lot of noise compared to what he usually made so Jan suspected that he wasn't alone.

Though he held his rifle ready to fire he kept his finger away from the trigger, conscious that it was still a confused situation.


Jan
Lying prone on the landward side of the path.
Scanning into the dark, trying to spot Jay and anyone with him.
AK-74 Assault Rifle (30/30 - 30rnd mag x11) - carried
BG-15 Grenade Launcher (1/1 HE - HE x19) - underslung on AK-74
P226 Pistol (15/15 - 15rnd mag x4) - holster
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch
AN/PVS-5 NVGs - worn

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 332 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Mon 18 Jun 2012
at 08:36
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay stumbled down the trail, trying to be quiet but probably with as much subtlety as a rogue elephant. The cold was biting deep, and he knew he couldn't continue for much longer. Suddenly he heard a voice ahead. He paused. Was the voice familiar? It sounded like they had said something in English, but couldn't be certain.

He decided to chance it. If they weren't friendlies then he would either be captured or dead, either option seeming to be better than his current predicament. He called out, Is Jay, d d d don shoot."

He stumbled forward pressing on until he could see who called. Suddenly faces appeared in the dark, and he recognised the first two as Jan and Craig. He pressed on, before eventually collapsing at Jan's feet. He looked up at the legionnaire, and started speaking. The words were jumbled, an ugly mess of English and Nepali, complicated by his shivering body and chattering teeth. It was clear that his clothing was soaked through, and his face was coated with mud, with a mess of snot and blood running from his nose. It wasn't clear what he was saying, but Jan and Craig managed to snatch some of the English words, and Craig may get some of the Nepali ones as well.

"No capture.... Others taken.... Follow.... Sneaky sneaky.... No soldier.... Fire...."

As he rambled he gestured down the path he had appeared from. As he spoke his eyes started to close, his body wracked by uncontrollable shivering. Any further speech was incomprehensible.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 517 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 18 Jun 2012
at 10:02
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Mrityunjay Byanjankar (msg # 196):

Craig stripped off his own jacket and wrapped the Gurkha in it after quickly stripping off his top clothes. He was sure those around him knew what was going on but he said;

"He going into severe hypothermia, he needs to get back to the boat. Do we have any other dry clothes ?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1650 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 18 Jun 2012
at 11:57
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Once it was clear Jay was alone, Bayer places his weapon on safe and gets up off the cold ground. He didn't want to keep the man around long, so he kept his interrogation short and just to confirm what was already suspected. "Which way did they go Jay? The village?" If anything else could be gained from him, Griet and Dawid could always relay what else he knew once he was safe on board the tug again.

Bayer then faces the rest of his team, but unsure of what vital equipment they brought with them from the Queen, decides against selecting someone for the task at hand. Instead he asks openly, "I need a volunteer to take Jay back. If we don't catch up to Tucker's group we will wait for you outside of the village, for you to link back up with us. For that, you will need a radio and night vision." Bayer then looks around at the dark silhouettes for someone to quickly step forward.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:58, Mon 18 June 2012.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 334 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Mon 18 Jun 2012
at 12:35
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 198):

Jay could vaguely make out the sound of someone else talking. He gestured again, pointing down the path from which he had emerged. "Vi... Vi... Hou... Fire..." He then muttered a few more words in Nepali.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 518 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 18 Jun 2012
at 19:35
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 198):

"I will take him Captain, he keeps saying something about a Tiger, Guard and a child though.

With that he tries to rouse Jay enough to start walking towards the boat and gives those on the tug a heads up to prep for a causality.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1651 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 18 Jun 2012
at 19:50
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Craig Sutherland:
"I will take him Captain, he keeps saying something about a Tiger, Guard and a child though.


Appreciating that was able to get a volunteer, Bayer nods and expresses his thanks, "Very good... thank you."

He then thinks over what Craig had told him, and says, "I see. Okay... well we will try to make sense of that warning as we move on. You two get moving though. Once you've dropped him off at the boat, radio to me so I can let you know how to link back up with us. Good luck."

With that, Bayer turns to Jan and says, "Time to move."
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 335 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Tue 19 Jun 2012
at 09:02
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay accepted Craig's offer of a hand. With no rifle, body armour or helmet (all left on Queen) it would be easy for Craig to support him, although the sodden clothing would weigh him down.
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1325 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 19 Jun 2012
at 12:46
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
The state of Jay explained fully why the normally stealthy Gurkha had been making so much noise.  Because of his medical training Jan briefly considered volunteering to take Jay back to the Queen but in the end Craig beat him to it.  Anneka would be able to look after him and Jan was sure that Craig would get the Gurkha there, even if he had to carry the little man!

"Craig, there is spare dry clothing in my backpack if you need some for him," Jan commented to Craig and Jay before turning back to the path that Jay had come along and focussing on finding the others.  From what Jay had said it sounded like the others had been taken prisoner by some armed locals rather than a military unit but Jan wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not!

Nodding at Konrad's instruction Jan asked a quick question before setting off.  "Jay made a lot of noise coming here so can we take the risk of moving quickly for a little while?"

Whatever the answer from his commander Jan set off at the prescribed pace, trying to follow Jay's muddy tracks initially, unless they started to deviate from the main path that ran parallel to the riverbank.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1652 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 19 Jun 2012
at 13:10
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Yes." Bayer replies. "Just keep alert."
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1327 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 19 Jun 2012
at 14:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Oui mon Capitaine," replied Jan as he set off at a good pace to start with, the now slightly smaller patrol trailing after him.
Minh Quyen
 player, 635 posts
Tue 19 Jun 2012
at 18:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

This message was deleted by the player at 18:01, Tue 19 June 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2559 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 20 Jun 2012
at 00:41
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

With the arrival of the nearly hypothermic Jay, the already-small recovery team is forced to diminish itself. Craig puts Jay's arm around his shoulders and starts back for the Queen. Jan takes the remainder of the team and starts following Jay's fresh tracks back towards the reported camp site.

Jan's gone about 200m when an AK barks from the darkness up ahead. A bullet passes millimeters from the left side of Jan's head, close enough that he can feel it. Someone's opened fire on the recovery team at a range of about 50m.

Back on the Queen, Dawid sees movement in the dark off the port bow. A few seconds later he hears the report of an AKM firing on full automatic.


Next Moves?

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 02:19, Wed 20 June 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1653 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 20 Jun 2012
at 01:43
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Kover! Kover!" Bayer shouts, stepping to the side and dropping into the prone.

With his options limited by the fact that their own people were stumbling around out here, Bayer opts not to immediately seize the initiative and counterattack the unidentified shooter. "Jan! Break contact! Fire and movement... withdraw now!"

Then while Jan coordinated his small team, Bayer depresses the transmit switch on his radio and reports, "Bravo! Alpha! Contact... standby... over."

Bayer
G36/HK69 (30/30 + 1 ILLUM)
Going prone

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2798 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 20 Jun 2012
at 05:39
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 208):

Dawid heard the pops of distinctive AK fire. It could be their own personnel, perhaps hostiles.

Getting down behind the gunshield, he aimed the Vasilek in the direction of the movement but held his fire pending instruction, which he assumes will be forthcoming soon.

"Griet, contact off port bow. Spotlight? Also, can you have someone find the spare radio from ship stores and tune it to the team channel? Thanks!"

"McClurg, hold position on starboard for now!"


OOC: It occurs to me we have a spare radio that we can use put at the bow weapon station for fire mission requests. Also, do we want to dispense with the Konrad-Griet-Dawid "telephone" and assume she's relaying instructions back and forth?
Craig Sutherland
 player, 519 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 20 Jun 2012
at 06:33
Re: Ch. 18: Plock


Craig made sure to radio ahead so there was no "Blue on Blue" action once they where closer to the tug. He still held the shotgun in his right hand as he moved forward with Jay.

He heard the gun fire but decided he was in no position to help so he kept a fast pace while looking for enemy soldiers trying to sneak up on the groups rear.

Rescue Party
Moving Jay to boat


L32A1 (Browning A5) 10" Barrel [4/3] 00 Buckshot
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 337 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Wed 20 Jun 2012
at 07:09
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay stumbled along, grateful of the support given by Craig. As he moved he vaguely heard gunfire, but couldn't be certain what was happening.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 424 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Wed 20 Jun 2012
at 07:40
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff ducks off to the side and drops to a knee.  He flips down his night vision and scans the last position of the enemy.  He counts on his own ability to blend in to keep him safe.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 638 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 20 Jun 2012
at 14:59
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet turned the spotlight to try and pick up the movement and then got on the intercom and said, "Anneka, can you bring up the spare radio from the stores please?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2799 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 20 Jun 2012
at 18:58
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
Griet turned the spotlight to try and pick up the movement and then got on the intercom and said, "Anneka, can you bring up the spare radio from the stores please?"


Hearing the crackle of Konrad's voice over the bridge radio, but unable to make out what was said, Dawid called up from the bow, "hey, what's going on with Alpha?"

OOC: Just a reminder that Alpha (Konrad) is calling Bravo (Dawid). Until there's a radio at the bow, we kind of have to work together on radio transmissions.
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1328 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 20 Jun 2012
at 20:52
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Pull back!" Jan yelled as he quickly dropped flat to the ground, just off the left hand side of the path.  He then flicked the selector switch on his AK to Full Auto and fired two five round bursts in the rough direction of where the shooting had come from.  He wasn't really concerned about hitting anything, more with just putting some rounds down range in the rough direction of whoever had been shooting at him!

He then started backwards crawling, trying to get into some cover before pulling back fully away from the contact.


Jan
Lying prone on the landward side of the path.
Dropping prone, firing 2x 5rnd bursts (suppressive fire) in the rough direction of the attackers and then backwards crawling away from the contact
AK-74 Assault Rifle (30/30 - 30rnd mag x11) - carried
BG-15 Grenade Launcher (1/1 HE - HE x19) - underslung on AK-74
P226 Pistol (15/15 - 15rnd mag x4) - holster
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch
AN/PVS-5 NVGs - worn

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 639 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 21 Jun 2012
at 15:04
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"They've had a contact too," Griet replied to Dawid.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2801 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 21 Jun 2012
at 20:21
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
"They've had a contact too," Griet replied to Dawid.


He replied through the intercom, "understood. Are they saying anything? If they are calling for "Bravo" they are calling for me. You are going to have to reply for me for now and relay any messages, until we get the other radio set up."

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 00:46, Fri 22 June 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2562 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 22 Jun 2012
at 01:02
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

While the rest of the patrol hits the cold earth, Jan drops and fires a couple of bursts at the likely source of the hostile fire. He's answered by another burst of fire. It's impossible to tell whether it's from the same shooter or another. It's well over the heads of the recovery team. Considering the hostile force's poor marksmanship and the darkness which envelops the area, it shouldn't be too hard to break contact and pull back towards the tug. (Jan -10 rounds)

As the recovery team prepares to withdraw, a light comes on from the riverbank well behind them. The team is on the very edge of the area illuminated but, should someone rise, he or she would be backlit nicely for whoever is shooting from the treeline to the north, northeast.

Griet turns on the tug's spotlight and directs the powerful beam towards the area indicated by Dawid. Two figures, one supporting the other, are caught in the wash of light. They pause and one of them holds up his hand to shield his eyes from the powerful light. After a couple of seconds, Dawid and Griet positively identify Craig; by the size of other fellow (draped in a poncho) Craig's companion is most likely Jay.

Despite being focused on the area illuminated by the spotlight, David eyes are drawn to something on the river to the north. Whether it was movement, a shadow (a relative condition in the darkness), and/or a brief flash of light that catches his eye is moot- there's another boat on the river. While Dawid tries to get a grip on the dynamic tactical situation, Anneka arrives with the spare radio.


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...7&mid=1340318965


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:02, Fri 22 June 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1655 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 22 Jun 2012
at 01:42
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Queen! Alpha! Turn off the light! Over!" Bayer calls into his radio. Then as soon as it goes out (if it does), he will fire a short burst towards the unknown shooters (aiming high) and shout to the Kommandos, "Move now!"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2802 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 22 Jun 2012
at 02:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 219):

Dawid thanked Anneka for the radio, while making a note of Craig and Jay's position.

He then transmitted, "this is Bravo calling Alpha. Have taken a bearing from two friendlies on shore. Direct us onto your target using a bearing from them, or ."

Realising they didn't need the light off so much as it could be directed to another use, he used the bridge intercom. "Griet, we have a boat on the river. North of us, azimuth approximately 350 degrees. Direct the light onto that."

"McClurg! I need you to man the port side weapon!"


He used his NVGs to try and spot anything on the new vessel approaching.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:11, Fri 22 June 2012.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 520 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 22 Jun 2012
at 08:54
Re: Ch. 18: Plock


"Keep moving Jay one foot after the other, we are nearly there."

He sighted the tug or they sighted them first either way they knew they were coming in so the chance of a DShK hair cut was lesioned. Once they had been IDeand the light was off them Craig continued forward to the bank. There he waited for some sign from the tug or a way to cross.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 338 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Fri 22 Jun 2012
at 09:24
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay stumbled on. It was dark, then bright light, then dark again. He just kept going in the direction he was being guided in. He tired to speak, but couldn't get any words out.
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1329 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 22 Jun 2012
at 10:59
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
After firing his bursts Jan ducked down low again and continued crawling backwards until he reached a solid looking tree.  He then squirmed behind the tree and pushed himself up into a crouched position while hoping that the tree was solid enough to stop a round.

As Konrad continued barking orders, and then fired a burst himself, Jan used the opportunity to quickly run back a little further, aiming for a tree off a few paces to one side of Konrad, and running at a crouch, trying to stay as low as possible while he moved.  Once there he ducked into cover again and then turned to face the enemy shooter.  He studied the area though his NVGs, trying to spot the man, ready to fire a couple of double taps at anything that looked like a clear target.


Jan
Moving further back away from the contact and then getting into a firing position about level with Konrad.  From there he will scan for the shooter and fire 4x single shots (the first one aimed if possible) at a clear target
AK-74 Assault Rifle (20/30 - 30rnd mag x11) - carried
BG-15 Grenade Launcher (1/1 HE - HE x19) - underslung on AK-74
P226 Pistol (15/15 - 15rnd mag x4) - holster
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch
AN/PVS-5 NVGs - worn

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 640 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 22 Jun 2012
at 15:08
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet turned the light out as Bayer had instructed and then used the radio to say, "Alpha, this is Queen, we have something in the water 350ms down river, should I illuminate it?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1656 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 22 Jun 2012
at 15:13
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Alpha... Yes." Bayer replies over the net. "Use how you need but don't illuminate the shore. Over." He then rises and takes a quick, low crouched bound back the way they came.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 641 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 22 Jun 2012
at 15:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Roger that," Griet replied and switched the spotlight to sweep the river and try to pick up whatever Dawid had seen.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2564 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 24 Jun 2012
at 00:25
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Griet fixes the unidentified boat in the beam of the Queen's spotlight. It's right at the edge of the powerful light's range but you can see that the vessel is a large rowboat. It appears to have a relatively large outboard engine, but it doesn't appear to be under power at the moment. It's moving from left to right (west to east) heading roughly towards the large island that splits the Vistula here. The boat looks like it's carrying a load of at least half-a-dozen passengers.

Meanwhile, on shore, after exchanging a couple more bursts of inneffective fire, the recovery team succeeds in breaking contact with the hostile shooter/s (they're fairly certain there were two of them at one point). (Jan- 4 rounds)


Next Moves?
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2804 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 24 Jun 2012
at 14:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
"Roger that," Griet replied and switched the spotlight to sweep the river and try to pick up whatever Dawid had seen.


Dawid said over the intercom, "ha, yes, what I said. Ok, hold on..." He peered into the darkness.

"Bravo calling Alpha. One boat in the river, rowing from west to east. Range, 350 metres. Heading towards island in the river."

As this craft likely held their friends, he didn't ask to engage it.
Minh Quyen
 player, 636 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 25 Jun 2012
at 11:58
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Quyen fires two bursts while pulling back but like the others she intentionally aims just in case it is their own people. Unhindered by any heavy gear allows her to bound and crawl quickly and she is soon out of the way of danger. Then once they broke contact and were reunited further back she removes the partially empty magazine and replaces a new one - locking it into place with a click.

"Everyone okay?" she whispers.

Quyen will then cover the riverside flank until the word is given to move out again. If anyone comes at her through the brush she will challenge once and then fire on automatic if she suspects whoever it is to be anyone but a Kommando.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 426 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Wed 27 Jun 2012
at 05:22
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff checks himself over quickly in case he missed something.  From there he continues to scan the woods, moving as little as possible.  The spotlight had forced him to flip up his goggles, and only now was his vision starting to come back.

"Jan, next moves?"  He was considering slipping off to do some seperate recce.
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1331 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 27 Jun 2012
at 13:16
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Now they had successfully broken contact with the pair of shooters who had engaged them Jan turned to Konrad to work out what to do next.  "Capitaine.  What are your orders?  Are we going to hunt down and take out these two who block the path or withdraw back to the boat?"

He was conscious of the reports he'd heard over the radio.

"If the people who take the others prisoner are in the boat that Dawid can see then they either leave two men behind or they have second boat.  I say we hunt them down and kill or capture them!  We can easily try to flank them but they will know the ground better than us so is risky.  Jeff.  Quyen.  What do you think?"

While he spoke he kept focussed on the direction of the shooters, just in case they were stupid enough to follow up!


Jan
Discussing what to do next while keeping alert and watching in the direction of the shooters
AK-74 Assault Rifle (16/30 - 30rnd mag x11) - carried
BG-15 Grenade Launcher (1/1 HE - HE x19) - underslung on AK-74
P226 Pistol (15/15 - 15rnd mag x4) - holster
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch
AN/PVS-5 NVGs - worn

Craig Sutherland
 player, 521 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 30 Jun 2012
at 02:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Clicking the transmit button on his radio;

"Bravo this is Delta Two, requesting pick up of one causality. Signalling now."

He takes his torch and turns it on and off several times, then stops waiting for a acknowledgement from the tug.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:18, Sat 30 June 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1657 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 30 Jun 2012
at 02:32
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer responds to the Queen over the net, speaking softly into the handset, "Sunray roger. Handle it... and inform me of any developments asap. We are continuing. Over."

Jan Cerny:
Now they had successfully broken contact with the pair of shooters who had engaged them Jan turned to Konrad to work out what to do next.  "Capitaine.  What are your orders?  Are we going to hunt down and take out these two who block the path or withdraw back to the boat?"


"No withdraw." Bayer whispers quickly. He hadn't made up his mind fully on what to do next, but he wasn't ready to call of the pursuit yet. He simply couldn't shake the possibility from his mind that their ambushers were from Robert's group. Those shots that snapped past them were fairly accurate and something that either decent marksmen or shooters with night optics ought to be able to accomplish... or he was just wrong of course.

Bayer then then mulls over his options and nods, "Lead us in Jan. Get around them if you can, but take us in quietly this time." He then says, "If we miss them... get us back on track to the village. Dawid and Griet can handle whatever is on the river."

During the next few moments, Bayer will remain ready to drop to cover. If they come across anyone, Bayer will shout "Tucker" and "Kommando" as loud as possible.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2568 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 30 Jun 2012
at 18:06
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Like a deer on the highway, the small rowboat seems to freeze in the tug's powerful spotlight. There's motion on board, although the boat is too far off to tell what its nature is- it looks, however, like the rowers have stopped pulling. Dawid is fairly certain that he's picked out at least one weapon aboard.

Craig and his casualty appear on the riverbank. The casualty looks like he/she is having difficulty walking on his/her own. If someone can be spared, Craig probably needs a hand getting his charge across the narrow corvus and on to the tug.

Meanwhile, Konrad orders the recovery team's point man, Jan, to attempt to lead the group around the pair of shooters who'd foiled the first attempt at reaching the hamlet that Konrad concludes probably serves as the base camp of whoever took the Kommando's rescue party captive when they washed ashore.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:55, Sat 08 Apr 2017.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2805 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 1 Jul 2012
at 02:01
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg # 234):

He held his fire. In this situation Dawid was probably within his rights to open fire without asking permission first if the boat was in danger. As it was, he felt there wasn't cause to fire, especially if there was their own people on board and in danger.

"Bravo calling Delta, acknowledged.

"Bravo calling Alpha... Waiting for casualty to board. I also see one armed person in boat, maybe more. Boat was heading to island, boat is now stopped. Am ordering Griet to close and capture boat unless you advise against.""


Intercom: "Griet, prepare to receive Sutherland plus one casualty. Look out for signal on shore.

"Then cast off and intercept that boat in river. Alpha is informed of this decision. Please acknowledge these instructions."

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 642 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 1 Jul 2012
at 07:11
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet looked over at the gunner and said, "This stretch of the river is notoriously dangerous, the course used to change almost daily before the war, what it's like now is anybody's guess. If we try to move during the darkness we might get grounded and if that happens we're screwed."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2806 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 1 Jul 2012
at 15:19
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg # 236):

"Understood, you are in charge of operating the boat. If you don't think we can get there safely, that is that. But we came in very close to the bank, I would think that's a more dangerous place than the middle of the river?"

Realising she was right he sighed in frustration, looking out at the rowboat caught in the beam of light. It was perhaps an opportunity they were losing, perhaps not, but Griet was right and the safety of the tug was very much her call to make.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 340 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sun 1 Jul 2012
at 21:14
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay, despite his slight build, was becoming a dead weight to Craig, and was struggling to keep his feet. Much longer and he would probably pass out. He did his best to keep going, but knew he couldn't last much longer.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:15, Sun 01 July 2012.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 522 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 2 Jul 2012
at 09:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Craig crouches on the bank waiting for help across the corvus. He makes sure his jacket is done up on Jay and gives the guy a rub trying to get the blood moving. He has been in this situation before and knows the feeling. Actually as he thinks back they did this to him in training, probably not this bad but who knows.

Craig gave a quick SITREP to the most senior person before he retrieved his jacket and began to return to the rescue party. Craig uses his radio to warn the rescue party he was returning as he changed the first round in his shotgun for a flechette shell.

He moved twenty meters up the bank before striking inland in a low crouch. He took it slow with his shotgun in hand, stopping every ten or so steps to listen and look.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:49, Mon 02 July 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2807 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 2 Jul 2012
at 09:29
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Craig Sutherland (msg # 239):

Dawid called for some crew to come help him bring Jay across.

"It's all right, soon you will be safe and warm, my friend!"

Also, he repositioned McClurg to continue covering the boat with the closest facing Dushka.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:47, Tue 03 July 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1332 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 2 Jul 2012
at 16:50
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer then then mulls over his options and nods, "Lead us in Jan. Get around them if you can, but take us in quietly this time." He then says, "If we miss them... get us back on track to the village. Dawid and Griet can handle whatever is on the river."

Before leading the recovery team around the shooters Jan made a comment to Konrad rather stating the obvious.  "Capitaine.  Craig may try to come back and join us.  He should stay on the boat now as finding us in the dark will now be dangerous."  As he spoke he reloaded his AK with a fresh mag, just in case it all kicked off again.

He then lead the four of them off inland, trying to loop around the area from which they had been fired at.  Though he used his NVGs he made as much use of his hearing, taking it slow as Konrad had instructed and listening for anything odd in the night.  Hopefully one or other of the shooters would make the mistake of moving or talking and they would give themselves away.  If they didn't Jan hoped that the route he picked would allow the recovery team to bypass the shooters and uncover whatever it was that they had been blocking them from approaching.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2572 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 2 Jul 2012
at 21:42
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Anneka crosses the corvus and takes Jay from Craig. She helps the woozy Ghurka get back aboard the tug and takes him to the tug's small sickbay. With clinical dispassion, she disrobes Jay and wraps the naked man in a warm woolen blanket. There's a steam pipe running through the small room as well, so Jay starts to thaw out almost immediately. With Jay resting in the sick bay's lone cot, Anneka goes and gets some reheated broth from the galley to warm Jay's insides.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1658 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 00:26
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan Cerny:
Before leading the recovery team around the shooters Jan made a comment to Konrad rather stating the obvious.  "Capitaine.  Craig may try to come back and join us.  He should stay on the boat now as finding us in the dark will now be dangerous."


Bayer replies quietly, "Ja I know... but I have concerns too but want boots on the ground." He then says, "I made sure who we sent back had a radio and night optics, and Lt.Sutherland will manage."

"We just need to maintain good coordination."
he adds, before setting off.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:26, Tue 03 July 2012.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 343 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 06:23
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay was vaguely aware of the harsh Israeli woman's hands clawing at his clothing, rapidly peeling off layers of sodden clothing. In another world it might ave been considered erotic, but right now he was just glad to be rid of the clothes that had been biting at him.

Jay lay still, trying to absorb the warmth from the steam pipe. The coarse woollen blanket itched his private parts, but right now he didn't much care.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2574 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 4 Jul 2012
at 03:21
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Jan leads the recovery team inland, slowly moving through the lank, dead rushes in an attempt to circumvent the shooters who held up the first attempt at reaching the presumed camp where they hope to find the beached rescue team. It's hard to be silent in the dark and dense vegitation, but the team comes fairly close. Having functioning NVGs helps as well. It's slow going, but Jan arrives roughly even with the furthest point of the team's earlier progress without drawing any fire or sensing an audience.

Craig is not too far behind, but he's effectively on his own. He does his best to pick up the rest of the team's trail. This is difficult because of the multiple lanes of stomped-down underbrush now crisscrossing the area. It would take a trained tracker of American Indian descent* to find the right path to follow in the dark.

Back on board the tug, Dawid, Griet and the rest of the crew above decks watch the small boat at the edge of the spotlight beam. It's no longer moving towards the large midchannel island. Instead, it's moving slowly away, possibly drifting with the current. It's also visibly rocking back and forth quite a bit. Unless the tug starts to move forward in pursuit soon, the small boat will soon be lost from view.

MacClurg, tracking the odd boat from his position behind the starboard Dushka calls out, "Should I fire a warning shot?"

Belowdecks, Jay is starting to feel much better. In fact, he's starting to feel a little too warm. Anneka returns with a mug of warm broth, hands it to Jay and says, "If you can, try to drink this. But drink it slowly, alright?"


Next Moves?


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.010113,0.033023


*Anyone, anyone?

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:11, Wed 04 July 2012.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 344 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Wed 4 Jul 2012
at 09:02
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay sat up, the warmth of the pipes and the blanket helping him regain some semblence of coherent thought. He took the proffered mug and sipped at it. The hot liquid stung his lips, but he eventually managed to take a few sips. The broth ran down his throat, and he felt the warming effect in his stomach.

As he held the mug he realised that although he could taste the broth, he couldn't smell it. His nose was still blocked with a mix of blood and snot. He wiped at it with the back of his hand to no effect, and so looked around for something to use. He located an old rag that had been used for cleaning the pipes. It was dirty, but would do. He blew his nose into the rag, emptying a disgusting mess from his nasal passages. An attractive sight he was not, but he was starting to feel better.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2810 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 4 Jul 2012
at 10:22
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg # 245):

quote:
MacClurg, tracking the odd boat from his position behind the starboard Dushka calls out, "Should I fire a warning shot?"


Dawid called up, "yes, fire a short burst over their heads."

He then used the intercom, "Griet, use the loudspeaker and order that small boat to come to us. However, I think there is some struggle going on there. Fighting. If those are our people over there, we may not get a better chance to rescue them. Would you not reconsider taking the tug to where that boat is to help them out, if that's indeed them?"

This message was last edited by the player at 13:07, Wed 04 July 2012.

Minh Quyen
 player, 638 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 4 Jul 2012
at 13:03
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Quyen set off again with her group. She moved quietly and lightly as much as it was possible with the dense vegetation. Her smaller frame and lack of personal gear made it a little easier than the others to squeeze in and under the branches sometimes so for that she was a little thankful. Unlike the others she also didn't have NVGS either but her natural night vision aided by the moon and stars was still pretty good. She thought so anyways.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:12, Wed 04 July 2012.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 643 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 4 Jul 2012
at 15:28
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet did her best to keep the spotlight fixed on the fleeing boat and hoped that the loud-speaker would carry that far, "In the boat! We have you under our guns. Start rowing toward us or we will fire on you."

She had been holding the boat against the current and carefully adjusted the screw and thrusters to give them enough forward motion to keep them in range of the boat. She switched off the loud speaker and called to Dawid, "I'll try and keep the row boat in range of the light but I can't risk much more than this, even then if I touch something I'm stopping. Put someone in the prow with a gaff-rail to probe ahead of us."
Anneka Soleblume
 NPC, 1567 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Wed 4 Jul 2012
at 21:29
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Mrityunjay Byanjankar (msg # 246):

Anneka does not seem a bit put-off by Jay's nasal expulsions.

"Here, let me take a look." she says, gently poking and prodding at the damaged proboscus.

"It's not broken. If it starts bleeding again, just apply pressure until it stops. Don't tilt your head back, though. I'll get you some ice for the swelling."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2811 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 4 Jul 2012
at 23:09
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg # 249):

Hearing the pitch of the remaining engine change, Dawid replied, "I understand, thanks for taking the risk."
Craig Sutherland
 player, 524 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 5 Jul 2012
at 00:31
Re: Ch. 18: Plock


Craig continued to move parallel to the riverbank keeping the rescue party to his left, or so he hoped. Every 20 or so paces or if anything caught his eye he stopped, crouched, listened and looked. He tried to stay low with his shotgun at his shoulder as he moved trying to make a minimum of sound.

Even though the terrain was not helping his tracking, he did try to keep and eye out for obvious signs someone had passed.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:34, Thu 05 July 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1662 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 5 Jul 2012
at 01:50
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer leans in close to Jan and whispers, "Shift left... flank man to twenty five meters... towards the road." He then points off into the darkness to where the faint outline of a battered road is barely visible.

He then toggles his radio and speaking just as quietly, says, "Craig... Bayer. West of you there is a road. Move close to road, then north until you find us. Will radio when hear or see you. Kopy? Over."

OOC - Bayer's instructions aren't to go onto the road, just a little closer than they are.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2579 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 5 Jul 2012
at 16:45
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Jan pauses for a couple of minutes until Craig navigates his way back to the recovery team. While they wait, the rest of the recovery team looks and listens trying to determine if another potential ambush lies in wait. Just before Craig arrives, the team hears a short burst of what sounds like heavy machinegun fire coming from the river. (OOC: Craig has rejoined the recovery team.)

Back on board the tug, the noise level rises as Griet powers up the engines and reverses thrust, pulling the Queen off of the mud packed against the concrete dike that shores up the riverbank here. Careful not to hit the small boat receding into the darkness downriver, MacClurg fires a short burst across its bows. He's relieved to see the tracer pass just in front of the target. With his firing platform starting to move, the skilled machinegunner was worried that he might have hit the boat he was just trying to startle.

Once the tug is off the mudbank, Griet steers her away from the shore and, maintaining a cautiously slow speed (just a couple of knots faster than the current), towards the fleeing rowboat. The tug's spotlight is still on, as much to reveal any further obstacles as it to track the Queen's prey.


Next Moves?
Minh Quyen
 player, 639 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 6 Jul 2012
at 00:32
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Quyen hunkers down in the brush and covers her arcs. Exhaling deeply she watches the moonlight capture her breath. She still only had her civilian Aidas track top and a army sweater over top. She would have to bug Konrad about getting better clothing for the winter again later.

When her team is ready to move again or there are any change in orders she will close in. Until then though she is satisfied with keeping watch out on the flank.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2812 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 6 Jul 2012
at 01:02
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg # 254):

Dawid kept the Vasilek oriented off to the port bow. He would lose the bearing he took on Craig/Jay, but if the Kaptain wanted heavy fire support from the tug he could mark his own position and direct fire from that point. He'd already advised Konrad they were moving, so he avoided using the radio again to state the obvious.

"McClurg, continue covering the boat. I really don't know what else you can do if precision is required."

For his part, he checked that the PKM was loaded and settled on the starboard bow pintle, to quickly provide extra firepower to that quarter if needed.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 345 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Fri 6 Jul 2012
at 10:36
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Warmed by the broth and blanket, and with a cooling ice pack on his battered nose, Jay tried to update Anneka on the situation, from what he knew. His head was still a bit foggy, but he did his ramlbing best. "I no capture, I fall off small boat, in river. Other take by people, not soldier, young people, children with strange clothes, dress like animal. They take to village, I follow. Not know number, maybe ten. They get fire and food, then talk, but I no understand. After... not sure, I come here."

It was clear that his memory of getting back to the boat was pretty fuzzy, and some of what he said didn't seem to make sense.

He brightened slightly, and looked the doctor in the face. "I leave trail, sign. Craig-ji, he follow sign."

Jay then looked around for his pack, which contained his spare clothing. He couldn't remember where he had left it.
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1334 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 6 Jul 2012
at 12:05
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan practiced staying still and listening while they waited for Craig to re-join them - he had done it many times before and was used to the cramp that built up in his muscles.  He was pleased when the Royal Marine linked up with them again because, as well as adding another gun to their small patrol, it meant that Jay was safely back on the boat and that was one piece of good news.  He just hoped that they could rescue the others before anything really bad happened!

At the sound of the heavy machine gun firing, from the direction of the river by the sound of it, Jan stayed still and kept looking and listening.  It was quite possible that inexperienced militia would be spooked by the sound of the boat's weapons opening up and that they would give away their positions as a result.  Jan looked for movement and listened for unusual sounds in the darkness, just in case the shooters they had encountered were panicked at all.

If nothing was spotted then Jan started to follow Konrad's orders and moved forward along the route that the Panzergrenadier had picked out.  He walked slowly at a crouch, pausing frequently to listen as well as scan around, conscious that there were at least two riflemen out there and that there was a huge risk that he could lead the team into another ambush.  He kept his AK-74 tight in his shoulder, ready to fire a pair of double taps at anyone who fired at him.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 427 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Sat 7 Jul 2012
at 08:09
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff flashes a barely perceivable nod in the darkness.  He slings his rifle and draws his silenced SOCOM.  "Roger, flanking.  I'll be in radio contact."

Moving slowly but purposefully, he moves wide around trying to flank the target.  He is listening intently for any indication of where the shooter was.  If possible he will try to get behind him and capture the shooter, or ID him if its a friendly.  If it's not possible though, Jeff will put a double tap into the hostile.


Jeff Warren
Flanking the shooter
Mk.23 SOCOM [15/15]

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 644 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 7 Jul 2012
at 08:34
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet was sweating despite the chill of the night. Moving the Queen in the dark and on one of the most notoriously treacherous stretches of the Wistula was stretching her skills and endurance to the limit.

She looked over at McClurg and called out,"I'm having to react to the river very quickly by making micro-adjustments using the thrusters. I cannot guarantee you a stable firing platform so take that into account when you decide on shot placement. I'd advise a very  wide margin of error even if that makes the shots irrelevant to their purpose."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2580 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 7 Jul 2012
at 20:52
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Craig rejoins the recovery team and Jan leads them north along the cracked and weed-choked road towards the suspected enemy camp sight. Warren decides to go a-hunting on his own and he breaks off from the rest of the team to try to flank the estimated position of the original shooter[s]. Using his training and his NVGs, he moves quickly and quietly. As he heads northeast in an attempt to curl around behind the shooters, he sees a structure through the trees, about 80m to his northwest. Warren stops and slowly sinks into the long dead grass to observe the area. There's movement around the structure- several armed figures, vigilent and agitated. They haven't seen Warren yet, but if he continues to move, there's a good chance that they could spot him. He's also aware that there are sentries- the shooter[s] who announced their presence earlier- in the area. Warren is now stuck, on his own, between two alert and hostile groups.

Jan, meanwhile, leads the rest of the group north. Craig is the first to spot the campsite. As the team stops to observe and plot their next move, someone at the campsite takes note of their presence. Alerting his comrades with a shrill shout (it sounds like a pre-pubescent boy), the alert sentry unleashes a long burst at the interlopers. All ten or so rounds go high over the recovery team's heads. Like a hornets' nest hit by a tossed stone, the campsite springs to life. People are rushing about everywhere. Half-a-dozen people fire wildly into the darkness. Others are running here and there in all directions. It's a scene of strange and violent chaos.

Back on the tug, Griet steers towards the center of the channel, trying to get to deeper water. This increases the angle between the starboard Dishka and the target, effectively screening MacClurg off from the receding shape of the rowboat, which is now almost beyond the range of the tug's spotlight beam.

"I lost 'em! You want me to move to the port MG?" MacClurg shouts.

A strange, shimering golden halo suddenly appears above the small boat. The cirular moving shape glows oddly producing no sound (at least as far as the folks on the tug can hear). What this strange apparition is, or what it means, is anyone's guess at this point.

From the western shore, the tug crew hears multiple bursts of AK fire. None of it appears to be directed at the Queen.


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.005056,0.016512


Next Moves?
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1663 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 7 Jul 2012
at 21:43
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer has had enough of this bullshit for one night. Dropping flat to the ground, he shouts, "Rapid fire!" A sliver of humanity that still existed within him however, spoke up for those open in front of him that are not an immediate threat to his men, "Target the shooters!" Hopefully they could win the firefight without too much killing, but at this point, Bayer just wanted all of his people back on board the tug and in one piece... and Tucker's men were not here.

Bayer will target any visible target or muzzle flash and fire three quick shots at each one before moving to the next.

Bayer
G36/HK69 (30/30 + 1 ILLUM)
Lying prone & firing 3 rounds at each target
Alpha Team

This message was last edited by the player at 21:44, Sat 07 July 2012.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 645 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 7 Jul 2012
at 21:52
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet spoke to the American gunner, "Good idea, do it."

She risked a quick call to Bayer, "Sunray this is Queen, am pulling into the main channel to try to pick up the boat we reported. If you need our support urgently, squelch once and I'll return now. Otherwise we'll be about three hundred meters further out for at least ten minutes."

She continued to ease the tug along unless she heard the squelch and if that happened she would immediately start making for shore once more.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 525 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 7 Jul 2012
at 23:19
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

From his kneeing position Craig watches as the camp bursts into life. He aims his shotgun at a cluster of muzzle bursts before sending the cone of flechettes towards their target. He then drops to his stomach and unloads the additional buckshot rounds at three different muzzle flashes.

Getting low firing as he goes.
Rescue Team

L32A1 (Browning A5) 10" Barrel [4/3]
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2584 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 7 Jul 2012
at 23:27
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

MacClurg, using the forward elevated walkway to shift over to the portside HMG, notes the flickering halo above the small boat before it wobbles to a stop and disappears.

With a hopeful urgency, MacLurg shouts, "I think it's LaRue in the boat! That was a PJ signalling technique!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:27, Sat 07 July 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1335 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 8 Jul 2012
at 08:22
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
When the ill trained locals started firing haphazardly in their direction Jan dropped into a prone position, brought his rifle tight into his shoulder and started scanning around for targets.  Their fire might be disorganised and ineffective at present but they obviously had plenty of ammunition to spray around and there was always the chance that they would get lucky and hit someone.  And a lucky shot was just as painful as an accurately fired one!

When Konrad's ordered everyone to open fire Jan immediately responded, picking first one shooter and firing a quick double tap at him and then switching targets to a second man and firing a pair of rounds at him as well.  He instinctively went for the targets that were armed and firing, looking to reduce the enemy numbers as quickly as possible.  With a bit of luck those enemy that were running around wildly would either just get in the way of those that were shooting or would just flee into the night.  Continuing to panic the enemy seemed to be a good idea!

Jan also kept alert for any sign of a heavy weapon, specifically anything larger than an AK.  That would be the greatest threat.


Jan
Firing 2x quick shots @ target #1 and then 2x quick shots @ target #2.  Looking for any sign of heavy weapons while he fires.
AK-74 Assault Rifle (30/30 - 30rnd mag x11) - carried
BG-15 Grenade Launcher (1/1 HE - HE x19) - underslung on AK-74
P226 Pistol (15/15 - 15rnd mag x4) - holster
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch
AN/PVS-5 NVGs - worn

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 646 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 8 Jul 2012
at 09:16
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet held the boat for a second, "Sunray to Queen, update: the boat appears to have at least one of our people on it. They are also in a position to signal us."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2813 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 8 Jul 2012
at 16:26
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg # 267):

Hearing the gunfire Dawid grunted. "Huh."

He accessed the intercom, "Griet, I'm sure the Kapitan appreciates being updated on every latest development, but he may have, ah, other things on his mind. The Kaptain already knows what's going on. If it's an emergency, I'll update him.

"Otherwise, please stay off the channel. That's an order.

"In the mean time, your instructions to McClurg are quite fine, no need to change them."

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2586 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 9 Jul 2012
at 17:21
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

The River Queen continues to move towards the small boat. The golden halo has not reappeared above it. Instead, a high pitched growl reaches the tug over the dark waters of the Vistula. The small boat makes a looping turn and starts coming straight at the Queen. The two vessels are closing fast. The small boat reenters the beam of the tug's spotlight, illuminating its crew. There appear to be six or seven people aboard, at least a couple of them armed. MacClurg attempts to bring the port Dishka to bear on the approaching vessel but, since it is now coming straight at the tug's rounded bow, he can't quite do so- the HMG's traverse doesn't move that far.

"I don't have a shot!" MacClurg shouts, trying to positively identify the small boat crew as either friend or foe.

While Dawid and Griet discuss command and control issues via the tug's intercom, the recovery team engages in a confused firefight with an unidentified force on the western shore.

Konrad signals the recovery team to open fire by setting the example. Dropping prone, he fires three shots at the first winking muzzle flash he can get a bead on. The flash does not reappear. Konrad repeats the process, with similar results. This time, however, he sees his target drop. (Konrad -6 shots)

Craig sinks to his knee and fires a flechette round at the nearest muzzle flash. He sees the vague, darkened form stagger and fall, indicating a probably hit. Craig lowers himself to the prone and fires off three more rounds from his semi-automatic shotgun. At this range (80-100m), even with flechette shells, its unlikely that he is going to achieve a killing strike. (Craig -4 rounds)

Jan, closest to the hostile force, picks out a sillhouette instead of a muzzle flash. Taking aim, he squeezes off a double tap, and the target shape crumples roughly to the ground. He picks out a muzzle flash and repeats the process. This time, he can't be sure of the results. (Jan -4 rounds)

While her comrades return fire, Minh crawls into a position where she can engage the enemy without firing through her own squadmates. She settles on a crater-like depression at the side of the road a couple of meters to the right of Craig and begins looking for a definite target.

The team is still taking fire, but not half as much now. Darting figures shout back and forth in Polish, their voices startlingly youthful. Several people are shouting all kinds of things. "Let's go!" "Get 'em!" "Come on!" "This way!" "Run!" "Shoot!" "Get Pawel!" "This way!" "Help me!" "Over there!" "Wawel is hit!" "Look at that light!" "Let's get outta here!" "My leg!" "Get the motherfuckers!" "Run!" "Where's the Wolf?" "Gah!" "Give me more bullets!"One or two others scream out in pain. It seems as if no one is really in command here. There's very little coordination that you can make out.

Warren, alone on the recovery team's far right flank, is aware of the precariousness of his position. The rest of the team appears to be engaging the swarming campsite. Warren's bigger concern are the two pickets the team was trying to circumvent. Before the firefight kicked off, Warren was fairly sure he'd found their position, based more on sound than on a visual sighting. He's close so he decides to continue stalking the sentries before joining in on the fusilade on the camp building. As it turns out, they come to him. He's almost startled by the sound of brush breaking just a couple meters away. A dark form bursts from the underbrush, so close that it almost collides with the muzzle of Warren's silenced pistol. Warren squeezes off two rounds at point-blank range; the heavy slugs slam into the sentry's torso, quite literally stopping him dead in his tracks. The sentry drops to the ground nearly at Warren's feet. A second figure appears a right behind the first. This one pulls up a few meters from his dead partner, hesitating a second before pointing his rifle at the apparation in the weeds. Warren fires first, killing his opponent with another well-placed pair of .45 rounds. (Warren -4 pistol rounds)


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:29, Mon 09 July 2012.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 647 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 9 Jul 2012
at 17:35
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Dawid," Griet called, "when the boat is about a hundred meters away I would like to put the Queen broadside to it to allow McClurg to cover its approach. I'll do it so the prow is pointing toward the land skirmish should you need to use the mortar. Is that acceptable?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2815 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 01:05
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg # 270):

Sounds of a firefight off the port side reached them, echoing off the water. Obviously, Konrad was a little busy right now.

"Great, got it, starboard broadside. Please verbally challenge the boat at 100m metres separation."

Dawid called out, "McClurg! On starboard Dushka! Hold fire on my order or if you see an RPG!"

He swung the Vasilek so that it was oriented forward. If the land element needed fire support, he could use a high-angle shot to clear the bow. Then, he manned the PKM, which was already on the starboard pintle, fastening his helmet and vest, getting low behind the gunwale and aiming at the approaching boat over open sights.

Now the approaching boat was in the sights of 2 MGs, the starboard Dushka above on the bridge and the PKM on the starboard bow.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:19, Tue 10 July 2012.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 432 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 05:32
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg # 271):

Jeff has no doubt the sentries are done for. Even so, he puts a knee on the wind pipe of the closer one to silence any last gasps. Hoping the firefight had masked his shots, he continues to wait and listen for more sentries.

If its clear, he'll key his radio and report in a very low voice. "Ghost here. Eastern sentries  neutralized."

Jeff also takes a moment to lean in closer to his new victims and examining who it was he had just killed.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 347 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 08:49
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
After some searching, Jay found his pack. He quickly put on fresh(ish) underwear and a t-shirt, followed by spare trousers and a pullover. He debated putting socks on, but reasoned that as his boots were still soaked and covered in mud he wouldn't be putting them back on yet, so the fresh socks would only get wet. Better to save them for later. So, in bare feet, once he had finished getting dressed, he headed out on to the deck and went up to the bridge.

Finding Griet at the helm, he spoke to her quickly, "Feel better, where you need me?"

OOC - Jay is now dressed but in bare feet, and is unarmed as his webbing is wet & dirty, waiting to be cleaned, and his rifle and body armour are somewhere on deck.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 526 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 08:59
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Once he had exhausted the ammunition in his shotgun Craig placed it next to him as he spun his G3 on its sling. He pops the bipod with a flick as he brings the battle rifle to bear.

Once its at his shoulder he flicks the selector to full-auto and begins to fire bursts towards any muzzle flashes or other targets.


Rescue Team
Firing bursts (5 rounds each)



HK G3SG/1 (w/ Zeiss 1.5-6 x 42 mm Telescopic Sight)[20/20]

This message was last edited by the player at 09:01, Tue 10 July 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1338 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 10:50
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"They are a disorganised rabble!" Jan announced to the others around him.  "Keep hitting them hard and they will break and flee!"

To emphasise the point he picked out another target, hopefully someone who was actually firing a gun, and fired a quick double tap at them.  He then yelled something in Polish, aiming to add to the confusion in front of him and making use of Jeff's report.  "Wilk, zróbmy do ucieczki! Istnieje zbyt wiele z nich i tam są bardziej schodzili z drogi!"*

He continued firing though, picking out a second target and firing a pair of quick shots at him.


Jan
Firing 2x quick shots at a target, yelling something in Polish designed to further confuse the enemy and then firing 2x quick shots at a different target.
AK-74 Assault Rifle (26/30 - 30rnd mag x11) - carried
BG-15 Grenade Launcher (1/1 HE - HE x19) - underslung on AK-74
P226 Pistol (15/15 - 15rnd mag x4) - holster
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch
AN/PVS-5 NVGs - worn

*Note: For those that speak Polish this should translate as
"Wolf, let's make a run for it!  There are too many of them and there are more coming down the road!"  (Jan speaks a lot better Polish than I do.... <G>)

This message was last edited by the player at 14:48, Tue 10 July 2012.

Minh Quyen
 player, 640 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 14:03
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Now in good cover Quyen selects one of the muzzle flashes flickering in the darkness. She then fires a steady series of shots until it is no longer visible before. Just to be sure there isn't anything coming up on them in the confusion Quyen will give the area around them a quick look before moving on to the next target.

Quyen
Ak74 (30/30)
Firing single shots at muzzle flashes

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 648 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 10 Jul 2012
at 17:41
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet looked down at the controls and mentally rehearsed the move she had proposed. When the boat was about a two hundred meters out she would swing the boat broadside to the current so McClurg could cover the advancing boat with the starboard Dushka. This would still let Dawid use the mortar to support the land based element if he needed to. Once she had completed the move she would challenge the boat.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1667 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 11 Jul 2012
at 13:46
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer rolls to the side, putting a little distance between him and the last placed he fired from just in case anyone was about to put any rounds downrange onto his muzzle flashes. He then selects a random target and fires two well spaced (aimed) shots.

In another moment (after his teammates fired a few more rounds), Bayer will shout over the noise, "Cease fire cease fire." and assess the situation from there. If he was lucky the hostiles that could run would do so and the rest could be scooped up as prisoners. If there are still enemy shooters, he will order the fire to continue.

Bayer
G36/HK69 (24/30 + ILLUM)
Adjusting fire position, double tap, wait, then shout

This message was last edited by the player at 13:47, Wed 11 July 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2589 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 01:05
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

The chaos at the camp continues as the Kommandos pepper its defenders with aimed fire. The few defenders still shooting back are soon neutralized or suppressed. Jan's attempt at sowing additional confusion by yelling additional orders is not very effective. His voice is much lower, and his Polish rustier, than the defenders' and his ruse is answered by an emphatic teenaged, "Fuck off!" Still, it's clear that the accuracy of the Kommando's fire has broken the will of the defenders. They scatter and run from the field, from the diminishing volume of the screaming, taking their wounded with them. Konrad, correctly reading the tactical situation, calls a halt to the Kommando's fire. They lay and watch the enemy disappear into the darkness to the north. Rather oddly, a couple of the receding figures look like large, upright dear, complete with antlers. One or two of the fleeing enemy turn and spray wild bursts of fire towards the road. Most of it doesn't come close to the Kommando, all of whom are laying prone in the weeds. (Minh -3 rounds, Korad -2 rounds, Jan -2 rounds, Craig -5 rounds)

Warren, alone on the recovery team's far right flank stoops to examine the dead sentries. Both look to be barely past puberty. They're dressed in a mix of civilian clothing and roughly cured animal pelts. One of them wears what looks to be a small dog or fox skull around his neck on a long leather thong. The other has a raven's wing fastened to the top of his squirrel skin cap.


After a minute or two, sound and movement around the campsite ceases. The center of the camp is a large, roofless structure about 80m to the north. From their prone positions, not a whole lot can be seen by the recovery team.

The area just north of the structure is dimly lit by the tug's spotlight.




On board the Krolowa, MacClurg mutters something under his breath as he runs from the port side HMG back to the starboard side HMG. Dawid keeps a close eye on the approaching small boat from behind his PKM. It's closing fast, its high-pitched engine driving it against the current towards the tug. A figure stands in the bows, swinging a glowing object around his head like some sort of futuristic sling. At about 200m, Griet reverses the port side screw and turns the wheel hard to port. The tug swings on its central axis, bringing its starboard broadside to bear on the small boat. The spotlight beam also swings left, slaved to the nose of the boat. Before Walter or Griet can fix it back on the boat, MacClurg shouts,

"LaRue, you sweet sonnofabitch, quit dicking around and get your silly ass back on board!"


Next Moves?

Map on the way... (If you can't wait, use the link in the maps notice.)

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:07, Thu 12 July 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2817 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 01:26
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg # 279):

Down on the bow, Dawid chuckled quietly about McClurg being busier than an 1-legged man in an ass-kicking contest. He cheered when McClurg identified LaRue.

"Danny! You sonafapig! We were coming to get you! Honestly! Where are the others?"

Konrad would probably appreciate being updated at this point, but he wanted as much information as possible before transmitting.
Daniel Larue
 player, 138 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 03:11
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Danny gratefully lets the tethered chemlight drop to the end of its cord when Mac and Dawid recognize him. "Ahoy the Queen!  Dave, I've got Mariusz, Tucker, and the major here, and four prisoners. The major's lightly concussed and borderline hypothermic and a couple of the prisoners are in bad shape too. Drop us a line so we can tie up and unload, and I'll pick up my gear and go back out to look for Jay."

As the boat crew begins the process of docking with the much larger tug, Danny turns to Connolly and says quietly, "Boss, before you go back on board, is there anything we need to know about what happened when you went over the side?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2818 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 08:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Daniel Larue:
Danny gratefully lets the tethered chemlight drop to the end of its cord when Mac and Dawid recognize him. "Ahoy the Queen!  Dave, I've got Mariusz, Tucker, and the major here, and four prisoners. The major's lightly concussed and borderline hypothermic and a couple of the prisoners are in bad shape too. Drop us a line so we can tie up and unload, and I'll pick up my gear and go back out to look for Jay."


"Here! Take this! Good thing, subduing those people, you did all the work."

He threw them down a line to help secure the boat.

"You do not need to worry. Jay is already here. You have your friend and the others from the raft? Good, everyone seems accounted for?"
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1341 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 13:20
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Having ceased fire Jan continues to watch the campsite ahead, ready just in case there are some die hard stragglers who haven't fled.  In particular he keeps listening for any sounds of wounded moaning or others moving around in the dark.

"Capitaine," he mutters to Konrad, asking the obvious question.  "Are we sweeping the campsite for any salvage?"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 649 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 14:50
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet waited for the boat to be tied up and emptied and then she called out, "We're ready to head back to shore if you want us to."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2592 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 17:13
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Daniel Larue:
As the boat crew begins the process of docking with the much larger tug, Danny turns to Connolly and says quietly, "Boss, before you go back on board, is there anything we need to know about what happened when you went over the side?"


Connolly slowly shakes her head, as if to gently clear away a few more cobwebs.

"Not really. I remember hearing shouting and gunshots, and getting up, and then... that's it until I woke up freezing cold and wet."

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:15, Thu 12 July 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1668 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 17:42
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan Cerny:
"Capitaine," he mutters to Konrad, asking the obvious question.  "Are we sweeping the campsite for any salvage?"


Bayer flicks the safely lever on his rifle and glances over to Jan lying close by, "Ja, advance when ready... fire in self defense only." He then rises up off the cold ground and shakes the damp leaves off of his uniform while he waits for the squad to move forward.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 650 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 19:30
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet looked over and saw that the little Nepalese warrior was thawing out, "Jay," she said, "I can either use you on the port Dushka or up on the roof to act as the searchlight operator and marksman. Which would you rather?"

She used the intercom to Dawid, "I'll keep us a little away from the bank and prow on to the area of operation so we can use both Dushkas We have a boat now so we don't need to make shore unless you feel it is necessary."
Craig Sutherland
 player, 527 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 19:57
Re: Ch. 18: Plock


Using his right thumb Craig turns the selector back to semi auto.He then fires on any muzzle flashes as the others ready themselves for an advance. He wanted to clear the board of all obvious threats regardless of if their fire was accurate or not.


HK G3SG/1 (w/ Zeiss 1.5-6 x 42 mm Telescopic Sight)[15/20]
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1344 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 21:21
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
At Konrad's orders Jan pushed himself up from where he had been lying prone on the ground and started to move forward, scanning around as he walked.  Periodically he paused and crouched down, looking for any signs of any threats.  If he saw any he fired a double tap at them, not taking any risks.

Sweeping through the campsite he initially removed weapons from dead and dying bodies, gathering them in a pile away from any wounded.  Once they were certain that there were no threats left Jan started searching bodies and gathering anything of value for transport back to the boat, even if it was something that might be useable for trade later.  Though they had a vast amount of gold each Jan still gathered things up through force of habit.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2819 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 21:49
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
She used the intercom to Dawid, "I'll keep us a little away from the bank and prow on to the area of operation so we can use both Dushkas We have a boat now so we don't need to make shore unless you feel it is necessary."


Getting back to the intercom he replied, "agreed, no need to push our luck getting close to shore now we have a boat to ferry people. Anchor anywhere you think is safe."
Daniel Larue
 player, 139 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 22:35
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Cap'n Rae:
Connolly slowly shakes her head, as if to gently clear away a few more cobwebs.

"Not really. I remember hearing shouting and gunshots, and getting up, and then... that's it until I woke up freezing cold and wet."


"Okay.  Just checkin'."  Danny looks up at the Queen's superstructure, thinking dark thoughts about why someone might go over the rail after the end of the fight.

As soon as the newly-appropriated rowboat is secured to the tug, Danny clambers over the railing, assists Connolly on board, and makes sure the major goes straight to the custody and care of the... other major.  He then hauls the prisoners aboard, giving each one a thorough pat-down search before tying him to the aft railing, away from any sensitive equipment.

Once the prisoners are secured and under someone else's guns (even if it's only Kel, who is a lousy shot but knows not to get too close to EPWs), Danny helps Mariusz and Tuck back onto the Queen.  "Mari," he says, considering the squelch of of eyeball under fingernails, "you wanna go wash up and give the doctor a hand with the major and the prisoners?"  He turns to Tuck and nods in the general direction of the prisoners.  "I think these assholes are under control for now.  Let's gear up and go get the rest of our guys back.  Unless," he glances over his shoulder at Dawid's approach, "your favorite Pole has other orders."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:38, Thu 12 July 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2820 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 22:51
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Daniel Larue (msg # 291):

Suddenly tired, Dawid sighed and lit a cigarette, offering the pack Jan gave him to the new arrivals (the non-prisoner ones). He figured the woman might be the "Major" that LaRue was talking about.

"So, are we all accounted for? Once I know, I will radio the Kaptain to update him. What was your friend doing in the water? Introductions?

"As for instructions, we are to provide fire support for the shore party, and we're free to do that now so I'm happy. Maybe we'll get something else to do."

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1312 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 23:07
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Daniel Larue:
As soon as the newly-appropriated rowboat is secured to the tug, Danny clambers over the railing, assists Connolly on board, and makes sure the major goes straight to the custody and care of the... other major.  He then hauls the prisoners aboard, giving each one a thorough pat-down search before tying him to the aft railing, away from any sensitive equipment.

Once the prisoners are secured and under someone else's guns (even if it's only Kel, who is a lousy shot but knows not to get too close to EPWs), Danny helps Mariusz and Tuck back onto the Queen.  "Mari," he says, considering the squelch of of eyeball under fingernails, "you wanna go wash up and give the doctor a hand with the major and the prisoners?"  He turns to Tuck and nods in the general direction of the prisoners.  "I think these assholes are under control for now.  Let's gear up and go get the rest of our guys back.  Unless," he glances over his shoulder at Dawid's approach, "your favorite Pole has other orders."

Robert helps out with getting friendlies and EPW's off the small boat and secured on the Queen.  Tucker nods to Mari that he should take care of his eye and to help out where Danny instructed him to do.  "I think the war between me and Dawid is over. We may not be the best of friends but, I think we have a new found respect for each other.  We got it off our chests before we got to Warsaw.  I don't have a problem with him issuing standing orders by Konrad," Tucker says in a lowered voice before Dawid approaches.  "We'll get our gear Dawid.  Where do you want us to post up?  Danny asked Mari to get his eye checked out and cleaned up and to help Soleblume with the wounded and Major Connolly if there's no objections?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2821 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 13 Jul 2012
at 00:08
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg # 293):

He replied to Tucker, "no objections. For staffing, I think we have you, Sgt. LaRue, Kel, McClurg and Jay to work with for now. Everyone else is ashore. So let's say you get on the other Dushka, Jay is lookout, Larue helps the Doctor, Kel helps me turn the Vasilek around and operates the shore radio in case we get a fire request.

"When we need to use the captured boat for picking up the shore party, you can decide who goes. Oh, and before that, is everyone accounted for? Once I know that we can contact the Kaptain. Then, please tell me what happened there? Larue, what happened with you, where did you go?"


OOC: Have I missed anyone? What is the NPC boat crew doing right now? Sorry to rattle off assignments, I just would like to get that out of the way ASAP. As well, I'm going to read the "Captives" thread at some time but it wouldn't hurt to have the Cole's Notes versions from the PCs!

This message was last edited by the player at 00:28, Fri 13 July 2012.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1313 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 13 Jul 2012
at 00:40
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg # 293):

He replied to Tucker, "no objections. For staffing, I think we have you, Sgt. LaRue, Kel, McClurg and Jay to work with for now. Everyone else is ashore. So let's say you get on the other Dushka, Jay is lookout, Larue helps the Doctor, Kel helps me turn the Vasilek around and operates the shore radio in case we get a fire request.

"When we need to use the captured boat for picking up the shore party, you can decide who goes. Oh, and before that, is everyone accounted for? Once I know that we can contact the Kaptain. Then, please tell me what happened there? Larue, what happened with you, where did you go?"

"I'll get my gear then and post up on the Dushka.

You know we went out to get Danny and Connoly in the zodiac and we hit the tree that was coming down the river.  Totally fucked up the raft and we had to get out and make for shore and in the process we lost Jay who has made it back aboard safely we now understand.  Those of us who got ashore we captured by these kids who got the drop on us because we came off so unprepared and we were worried for the safety of Major Connolly.  Kids took us and told us we were to go to Plock to see their 'Queen'.  We were on our way there and we saw a chance to escape and it paid off.  Pretty much it in a nutshell Dawid.

What's Konrad and the others doing?  Looking for us?"

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 351 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Fri 13 Jul 2012
at 06:23
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay agreed to do lookout duties. He hurried back to the deck and retrieved his rifle. In the dark he couldn't locate his helmet and body armour, they would have to wait for now. At least he had a weapon with a full mag and 40mm grenade.

He headed to the top of the boat and found the lookout post. He quickly settled in and kept his eyes open.

Hopefully, once relieved, he would have the chance to clean and dry his kit, and check the status of his webbing and the gear on it.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:13, Fri 13 July 2012.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 433 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Fri 13 Jul 2012
at 06:39
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
A fuckin' pipsqueak.  Dumbass kids.

Jeff rarely showed emotion at killing, but he was genuinely mad at his latest kills.  That is until he saw the shadowy figure in the camp with the SKS.

In a blur of motions, Jeff holsters his pistol and keys his radio.  "Ghost engaging sniper by the building."

With his new sniper rifle up and in his hands, he exhales a half breath, settles the crosshair on the man with the raised weapon, and squeezes the trigger.


Jeff Warren
Shooting SKS/Mosin Nagant guy by building (kneeling if visibility allows, but standing if need be)
SAKO TRG-21 [10/10]

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2822 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 13 Jul 2012
at 06:46
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
"I'll get my gear then and post up on the Dushka.

You know we went out to get Danny and Connoly in the zodiac and we hit the tree that was coming down the river.  Totally fucked up the raft and we had to get out and make for shore and in the process we lost Jay who has made it back aboard safely we now understand.  Those of us who got ashore we captured by these kids who got the drop on us because we came off so unprepared and we were worried for the safety of Major Connolly.  Kids took us and told us we were to go to Plock to see their 'Queen'.  We were on our way there and we saw a chance to escape and it paid off.  Pretty much it in a nutshell Dawid.

What's Konrad and the others doing?  Looking for us?"


"Yes, looking for you. Good everyone's accounted for. Glad you guys were able to free yourselves, travelling on the river at night in the tug is a real terror. Plus now we have a boat! That crane thing made a good bridge but we had do get in so close. If you can think of anything else, let me know."

He used the intercom, "Griet, please inform the Kapitan that everyone's accounted for now and mostly uninjured. They were being taken to see a "Queen" in Plock, but freed themselves. We now have a small craft. Thanks!"
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1345 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 13 Jul 2012
at 09:59
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff D. Warren:
In a blur of motions, Jeff holsters his pistol and keys his radio.  "Ghost engaging sniper by the building."

Hearing this transmission from Jeff, Jan immediately dropped and rolled to his left, barking out an order as he did so.  "Cover!  Sniper!" he yelled, repeating the warning the CIA man had given.

Once he was lying prone again Jan brought his rifle up to his shoulder and started looking around for a target.  "Jeff says there is a sniper by the building!" he informed those who didn't have a radio.

If he spotted the sniper Jeff was talking about then Jan rapid fired his rifle at him, trying to disrupt the sniper's aim as much as trying to hit him.


Jan
Getting into cover, looking for the sniper and firing 4x quick shots at him if he spots him
AK-74 Assault Rifle (24/30 - 30rnd mag x11) - carried
BG-15 Grenade Launcher (1/1 HE - HE x19) - underslung on AK-74
P226 Pistol (15/15 - 15rnd mag x4) - holster
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch
AN/PVS-5 NVGs - worn

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1080 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 13 Jul 2012
at 15:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz nodded, he went below decks to the sick bay and said to Anneka, "I've been sent down to help you. The Major has hypothermia but is responding and one of our captives has an injured eye."

He started to wash his hands, "I think I popped the eyeball but I'm not sure."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 651 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 13 Jul 2012
at 15:21
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Roger that," Griet called to Dawid.

"Queen to Sunray," she said, "we have retrieved the missing crew members, the Major has hypothermia but every one else is OK. We have four prisoners, one wounded. We have also captured a small boat so we can pick you up whenever you want. Additional information is that the captives were being taken to see a Queen on the island before Plock. This may be a long night."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1669 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 14 Jul 2012
at 00:24
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer drops back down to the cold ground and shouts, "One hundred front! Building! Rapid fire!" He then quickly levels his rifle towards the structure and squeezes off four quick shots towards it - and expecting all of his teammates to do likewise.

Bayer
G36/HK69 (22/30 + ILLUM)
Suppressive fire on building

Daniel Larue
 player, 140 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sat 14 Jul 2012
at 00:52
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Danny glances around to ensure Mariusz is out of earshot, then steps closer to Tuck and Dawid.  "Mariusz kinda had a rough time when we decided to make our break out there."  He nods in the direction of the river.  "I asked him to go wash up and help the doctor because I figured he needed the chance to catch his breath.  We're also gonna need someone to keep a gun on the prisoners.  If it's okay with you two, I'll handle them until Mari's got his second wind, then we can start on their treatment.Assuming we don't have casualties arriving from shore.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:02, Sat 14 July 2012.

Minh Quyen
 player, 641 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 14 Jul 2012
at 01:02
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
"One hundred front! Building! Rapid fire!"


Quyen had just locked the bayonet onto the end of her rifle when she heard the alarm from Jan and the orders to fire from Konrad. She then drops to one knee and fires two bursts at the house on automatic fire. Quyen will then lower herself back into the prone position.

M.Quyen
Ak74 (17/30)
Rescue Team
Shooting 2 burst at the house

Craig Sutherland
 player, 528 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 14 Jul 2012
at 03:14
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 302):

The G3SG turns easily on its bipod as Konrad calls the new threat. Using his right thumb he flicks the selector to auto and fires a burst to the left of the building traversing it across and hopefully putting the last couple of rounds into the house itself.

Rescue Team
Firing on Building


HK G3SG/1 (w/ Zeiss 1.5-6 x 42 mm Telescopic Sight)[20/20]
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2823 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 14 Jul 2012
at 03:45
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Daniel Larue:
Danny glances around to ensure Mariusz is out of earshot, then steps closer to Tuck and Dawid.  "Mariusz kinda had a rough time when we decided to make our break out there."  He nods in the direction of the river.  "I asked him to go wash up and help the doctor because I figured he needed the chance to catch his breath.  We're also gonna need someone to keep a gun on the prisoners.  If it's okay with you two, I'll handle them until Mari's got his second wind, then we can start on their treatment.Assuming we don't have casualties arriving from shore.


"Yes, please see to the prisoners, question them if you can. Gently. When Warren gets here we can decide who's been most cooperative.

"Major Solleblum shouldn't need much assistance rendering aid unless she operates. "


OOC: ha! Right, prisoners.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:46, Sat 14 July 2012.

Anneka Soleblume
 NPC, 1568 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Sat 14 Jul 2012
at 22:51
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz Tokarski:
Mariusz nodded, he went below decks to the sick bay and said to Anneka, "I've been sent down to help you. The Major has hypothermia but is responding and one of our captives has an injured eye."


"Another hypothermia case? Alright, show her in."

Anneka examines Major Connolly and determines that she is no longer hypothermic. She is, however, still suffering some lingering symptoms from a rather serious concussion. After the examination, Anneka takes Mariusz outside into the narrow hall and speaks to him quietly,

"She's had a bad concussion. Hopefully, there's no swelling of the brain. There's not much I could do for that. If you can stay here and keep an eye on her, or fetch someone else who can, I'll go check on the prisoners. She shouldn't sleep. Try to engage her in conversation. Someone needs to come and get me immediately if she loses consciousness or starts slurring her speech- anything unusual like that."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:31, Sat 14 July 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2594 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 14 Jul 2012
at 23:30
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Warren sights in on the partially concealed shooter at the southeast corner of the camp building and squeezes the trigger. The young man drops his rifle, doubles over, and falls backwards. His startled companion pulls him back out of sight. Minh, Konrad, and Jan attempt to suppress any unseen enemy, or put them to flight, with a brief but sharp fusilade directed at the area around camp building. After a couple of seconds of shooting, there is no return fire. (Konrad -4 rounds, Minh -10 rounds, Craig -10 rounds)

With the camp building and its environs seemingly evacuated, the recovery team begins moving cautiously forward to investigate, while Warren provides overwatch with his sniper rifle. Warren sees no further sign of any stay-behind teams. Switching between his NVGs and day sights on his weapon is starting to adversely affect his vision.

The recovery team comes across a body, about 15m short of the structure. It appears to be a teenaged boy, dressed mostly in greasy animal furs, his hat adorned by a badly stuffed hawk. A battered old AK is draped across his lap. The team pushes on, entering the camp through a large gap in the faded whitewashed wall. They emerge into a chaotic collection of tents and lean-tos, crudely constructed of materials both natural and man-made. A sickly melange assails the team's nostrils- despite its excellent ventilation (there's no roof), the place smells like a rarely cleaned boys gym locker room in which someone has stashed a couple of large, four-day-old dead dogs. Poorly cleaned animal skins are hung up all around the camp- dog, deer, rabbit, and who knows what else. There's not much here of use, unless you're in the market for disgusting furs or battered, hard-used camping equipment.

Aboard the Krolowa, the security crew makes preparations to provide fire support for the recovery team should it be required. Griet holds station in the middle of the channel. Keeping the big vessel in the same spot is a challenge, given the strong current. It takes nearly all of her concentration, but the Queen stays rooted to the spot.

The tug crew secure the newly acquired small boat to the Queen's railing- it will be ready for immediate use, if and when needed.

Danny watches the young prisoners, who huddle by the aft railing. They look utterly defeated. The older boy, who seemed to be the de facto camp commandant, is in a lot of pain. On his knees, he leans his head against the railing, bound hands glued to his ruined eye, whimpering and moaning. The others looked confused and scared, the piss and vinegar on display earlier almost completely neutralized by their recent bad turn of fortune.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:13, Sun 15 July 2012.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1314 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 14 Jul 2012
at 23:38
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Daniel Larue:
Danny glances around to ensure Mariusz is out of earshot, then steps closer to Tuck and Dawid.  "Mariusz kinda had a rough time when we decided to make our break out there."  He nods in the direction of the river.  "I asked him to go wash up and help the doctor because I figured he needed the chance to catch his breath.  We're also gonna need someone to keep a gun on the prisoners.  If it's okay with you two, I'll handle them until Mari's got his second wind, then we can start on their treatment.Assuming we don't have casualties arriving from shore.

"I'd rather not have them hurt anymore in case we can deal them back to their Queen and besides, they only really talked real tough to us and never did any real damage to us.  It might get us somewhere if we have to deal.  I'm not into killing kids unless they shoot first."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1670 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 15 Jul 2012
at 01:09
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
"Queen to Sunray," she said, "we have retrieved the missing crew members, the Major has hypothermia but every one else is OK. We have four prisoners, one wounded. We have also captured a small boat so we can pick you up whenever you want. Additional information is that the captives were being taken to see a Queen on the island before Plock. This may be a long night."


While Jan and the rest of the group secure the perimeter and look around, Bayer gets on the radio to acknowledge the previous transmission sent to him, "Sunray, roger your last." He then says, "We are going to stay put for a while and recce the shoreline before you head downstream at dawn. See what you can learn from the prisoners and keep me posted on any updates. Try to find out where there are any ahh... people are out here. Oh, and get Robert's half of the security team rested up and ready to go again. Anticipate no move for two hours. Over."

Bayer then squats down with his back against the building and digs out his map, compass, and flashlight. "Jan.. over here." he says quietly, cupping his hand around the light to limit the shine as he scans the map. When the NCO arrives, Bayer says, "Once Warren gets here, I want you to take us along the river. I want to get eyes on that island before the tug gets underway and into this narrow channel. That well be less than an hour to cover."

This message was last edited by the player at 04:34, Sun 15 July 2012.

Daniel Larue
 player, 141 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 15 Jul 2012
at 01:29
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Danny looks up from resetting the hook-and-loop of his armor's cutaway strip.  Later, he'll have to re-balance his entire load to get it to ride comfortably across his shoulders, but he'll be happy for now if he just can get the ballistic panels to sit in the right spots.  "Dude," he says slowly to Tuck, "you know I've got a son older than these guys, right?  We're on the same page.  I ain't gonna pull a Warren here."  He shrugs into the vest, tightens down the adjustment straps, and chamber-checks his pistol before returning it to its holster.  "Don't expect I'll get much out of 'em, though.  My Polish kinda sucks."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:36, Sun 15 July 2012.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1081 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 15 Jul 2012
at 08:37
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"I'll look after her, Major," Mariusz said.

He returned to the sickbay and sat opposite Major Connolly, he smiled awkwardly wondering exactly how to engage an older woman who had been through Hell in conversation. He wracked his brain for a moment and then said, "So, how did you first meet LaRue? He seems mental."
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1346 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 15 Jul 2012
at 21:39
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan was slightly disturbed by the youth of the body they found and the situation that they had encountered.  He had come across child soldiers before, particularly in Africa, but nothing like the out of control chaos that the camp represented, something like Lord of the Flies with guns!  He was guessing but it seemed like a bunch of kids gone wild with no clue as to what the hell they were doing and that was just a recipe for disaster!

At Konrad's instructions Jan waited until Jeff had joined them before leading the small patrol in the direction the Hauptmann had indicated.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 529 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 16 Jul 2012
at 00:29
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Once the cease fire is called Craig slings his G3 and quickly reloads his shotgun with a full load of four shells of buckshot. He scans the undergrowth around the margins of the camp for any strays or returnees.

He is some what dismayed at the age of the combatants they had just successfully engaged. It was just like Africa, feral kids with an AK and an attitude beyond their years. Still anyone with an assault rifle was still a threat.

Once they had the camp secured Craig would help with the search for anything useful. He would also help with the search of the bodies.



Rescue Team
Securing the camp and searching for booty

L32A1 (Browning A5) 10" Barrel [4/3]
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2598 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 16 Jul 2012
at 01:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz Tokarski:
He returned to the sickbay and sat opposite Major Connolly, he smiled awkwardly wondering exactly how to engage an older woman who had been through Hell in conversation. He wracked his brain for a moment and then said, "So, how did you first meet LaRue? He seems mental."


"Yeah, he's a character. Good people, though. We were crew on the same Jolly Green Giant- an Air Force search and rescue helicopter. Big one. Looks kinda like a giant, morbidly obese grasshopper. Lots of sensors for night flying; lots of machineguns for AA suppression."

She pauses, giving Mariusz the impression that she believes that she may have said too much. She smiles and then asks,

"What's your story?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:01, Mon 16 July 2012.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 354 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Mon 16 Jul 2012
at 10:58
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay stayed quiet in the lookout post, scanning all directions for any signs of a threat. With bare feet, the cold was starting to return. Hopefully the rescue party would return soon and he could get back to the warmth.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1317 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 16 Jul 2012
at 13:42
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Daniel Larue:
Danny looks up from resetting the hook-and-loop of his armor's cutaway strip.  Later, he'll have to re-balance his entire load to get it to ride comfortably across his shoulders, but he'll be happy for now if he just can get the ballistic panels to sit in the right spots.  "Dude," he says slowly to Tuck, "you know I've got a son older than these guys, right?  We're on the same page.  I ain't gonna pull a Warren here."  He shrugs into the vest, tightens down the adjustment straps, and chamber-checks his pistol before returning it to its holster.  "Don't expect I'll get much out of 'em, though.  My Polish kinda sucks."

Starting to gear back up with the load he had when they were repelling boarders, Robert continues to talk to Danny before he goes to man the Dushka.  "Glad I don't have any kids that I know of.  Had some girls I was close with but the constant deployments I went through didn't make them anything solid and mostly kept women away from my lifestyle.  I guess for the better.  Only had family, which is the important thing.  Pretty sure they're all gone now.  I'd like to think otherwise but c'mon Danny, likelihood of them being alive are pretty slim.    That's why I'm here on the Queen with the others.  I've got something to make me get out of the rack in the morning.  It's not a wonderful life, I mean we got food and a roof over our heads and a sort of dysfunctional family."

Tucker stops and focuses on the now, "My Polish is ass too.  We need one of the locals to help or one of the Intel people to get what we need.  Little kids fighting like adults.  Fuckin' wars got this whole world fucked up.  I have a little respect for 'em giving it a shot at it.  If they had real training, we might be the one's in the boat still heading towards Plock!"

This message was last edited by the player at 13:45, Mon 16 July 2012.

Daniel Larue
 player, 143 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Mon 16 Jul 2012
at 23:04
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Finally giving up on further adjustments, Danny bounces on his toes a few times to settle his vest into place, then slings his aid bag cross-body and picks up Winona.  "Yeah, a lotta guys in the squadron traveled light.  Just ask Kel - dude's been divorced three times.  But Julia's stuck with me for twenty-one years, so I kinda owe it to her and the kids to get back to the Dakota Territory."

He drops the carbine's magazine and pulls the charging handle.  The chambered round spins out in a moonlit flicker of brass.  He catches it on the fly and critically inspects it before thumbing it back into the magazine.  His hands work through a function check as he continues, "Besides, my daughter's got fifty bucks that says she'll get home from Iran before I get back from here, and ain't no way I'm losing that."

Satisfied with the function check, he rotates the charging handle back to SAFE.  Winona's magazine goes back in with a comforting click.  He gives it a tug to ensure it's seated and pulls the charging handle again to re-chamber the first round, then settles the sling over his head.  "Aaanyway."  He nods at the prisoners.  "Coffee break's over.  Back to standing on our heads.  Hey, do me a favor and make sure Jay's okay up there, willya?"

This message was last edited by the player at 02:13, Tue 17 July 2012.

Minh Quyen
 player, 642 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 17 Jul 2012
at 13:50
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Quyen holds one hand across her face when the vile smell of rotting animals suddenly hits her. She then stifles the queasy feeling and checks around the camp area for anything valuable or worthy of mentioning to the others. Then while the Hauptmann sorts out their next move Quyen removes the nearly empty magazine and replaces it with a full one.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1082 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 17 Jul 2012
at 14:59
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz smiled wanly, "I was a kid in Warsaw before the war," he said, "my parents were teachers. We took to the roads as refugees when the Allies besieged the city and my parents were killed on the march. I scraped a living for a while before getting picked up by a local warlord. He wanted to castrate me to use as a guard for his wife. I wasn't very happy about that so I ran. I was starving to death when a monk called Brother Stanislaw found me. He was running a pro-NATO partisan band. They fed me up and I acted as a runner for them: one day a cell I was visiting got busted, I was able to shoot my way out and I became a fighter. I was the ammo bearer for an RPGer called Bear. He was a mad fucker but kind in his own way. Slowly the band died in ones and twos until the CIA decided we needed to join this boat. Bear died as we fought our way to it."

He looked down, "Brother Stan died when a soldier went mental and threw a grenade: he died to save us. Now, I fight for the Queen, it's home."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2599 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 17 Jul 2012
at 17:03
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

The prisoners have started whispering to one another- just a few quiet words every few seconds or so. Unfortunately, the two guards, LaRue and Tucker, can't understand what the kids are saying. Anneka arrives to provide medical care to the oldest boy- about 16, by her estimates.

Addressing Tucker and LaRue, she says, "I need him separated from the others before I can safely work on him."

Mariusz and Connolly get acquainted in the sick bay. Connelly seems to take a genuine interest in the boy's tragic history. Her speech is crisp and lucid- she seems fine to Mariusz but, of course, he's no doctor.

The rest of the security team keep watch. As the recovery team begins moving north on foot, keeping close to the river, Griet slowly pushes the tug forward, trying to keep pace. The current tries to push the tug ahead faster. It's like an adult walking beside a toddler- it takes more effort to move at a walking pace than it would for the tug to move at a more typical speed. It is, however, still very dark so moving very slowly is not a bad idea. The spotlight helps, but, in addition to ruining its passengers' night vision, it also let's anyone close to the river know that someone's coming.

As both the shore party and the tug move north, they approach a large midchannel island. There are a couple of smaller islands, or very large sandbanks, at the downriver tip of the island. Years of government neglect have allowed these smaller islands to grow unchecked, narrowing the western channel to about 200m- the eastern channel looks nigh on unnavigable. The security team is on high alert.

OOC: Who is on the portside Dishka?

As the recovery team finishes its cursory search of the filthy camp, they hear what sounds like a motorcycle engine cough to life- it seems to be originating from the north somewhere. The high-pitched, growling whine of the motorcycle engine quickly recedes into the night. Having found nothing of value or interest, the team leaves the camp structure and begins to move north, keeping roughly parallel to the river and near enough the bank that they can see the Krolowa. The well-lit tug, travelling more or less alongside them, about 100m off of the west bank, is a comforting presence. Diffused light from the tug's spotlight beam (which is pointed at the river directly ahead of it) provides a little extra illumination, but it's uneven- the area near the shore is lit like twilight while the more inland terrain is cast in darker shadow. The numerous trees near the west bank also cast long shadows across the path of the ground force.

The team moves about 100m north from the campsite, finding a few signs of hasty passage, including at least one blood trail. The shoreline is fairly heavily wooded here, providing anyone who would care to ambush the team plenty of cover and concealment. They almost walk into another ambush. Jan and Craig, the inner workings of their inner ears damaged by long years of blaring firefights, fail to detect it. Minh and Konrad, however, hear hushed voices up ahead. Konrad hisses to get Jan and Craig's attention, signalling them to get down. And not a moment too soon- an AK opens up from across a small clearing. The fire is, once again, high, producing a rain of tree bark and small branches. It's most likely just one or two shooters- considering the opposition, it's probably either a couple of more tactically saavy kids trying to buy time for their cohort to retreat, or it's a couple of hotheaded kids too brave (or stupid) to give up the fight. It occurs to Konrad that this sort of thing could happen all night long.

OOC: Make sure to keep track of your ammo- both on your charsheet and in your virtual magazine.


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.002528,0.008256


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:40, Tue 17 July 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2828 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 18 Jul 2012
at 19:34
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid made a quick check to make sure everyone was at their positions.

"Hey, Tucker! You're on portside Dushka?"
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1348 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 18 Jul 2012
at 20:26
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Putain de merde!" Jan muttered to himself as he ducked down, moved a couple of paces to his left and then went prone.  He was annoyed with himself for missing the latest pair of amateur ambushers - he was the professional and he should have spotted them before they were able to spring their attack.  Bring his rifle up to his shoulder Jan quickly fired a double tap in the direction of whomever was firing at them.  These kids didn't really seem to know what they were doing and simply engaging them had been enough to panic them previously.

"Capitaine," he called to Konrad, the frustration clear in his voice.  "These idiots will never learn!  What are your orders?  We will have to kill them all I think!"

He then fired a second double tap at any target he could see, even if it was just some muzzle flashes.


Jan
Getting into cover, going prone and firing 4x quick shots at any targets he can see - if he can't see a target he will fire anyway at the muzzle flashes
AK-74 Assault Rifle (20/30 - 30rnd mag x11) - carried
BG-15 Grenade Launcher (1/1 HE - HE x19) - underslung on AK-74
P226 Pistol (15/15 - 15rnd mag x4) - holster
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch
AN/PVS-5 NVGs - worn

Daniel Larue
 player, 145 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Wed 18 Jul 2012
at 21:35
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Danny nods perfunctorily to Anneka.  "Ma'am."  He double-checks Winona's selector and slings the carbine across his back, then ensures the retaining straps on his grenade pouches and holster are fastened down.  Once he's secured all his weapons against a grab attempt, he moves in on the injured teen's blind side.

"No fight," he says sternly in Polish.  "Doctors."   He unties the boy from the railing, then takes a firm grip on a bicep and moves the kid away from his comrades.  "Sit," he orders, pushing the boy toward a nearby coil of mooring rope.  He tilts his head toward Anneka in a silent interrogative - Good enough? - then, as she takes charge of her new patient, steps back and unslings Winona.

Danny
Prisoner management
Winona [30/30 + 6 magazines] - low ready, SAFE
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, SAFE
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1319 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 18 Jul 2012
at 23:57
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
Dawid made a quick check to make sure everyone was at their positions.

"Hey, Tucker! You're on portside Dushka?"

He wasn't trying to disobey an order, Tucker just got caught up talking with Danny and then hurries off to the portside Duska.  "I'm on it Dawid, just give me one mike to get settled in!"  Robert hurries to make the heavy machine-gun ready for action and then signals him when he's ready.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 437 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Thu 19 Jul 2012
at 00:06
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Having long since swapped off his night vision to save his battery and his eyes, Jeff ducks behind a tree at the rounds incoming.  "Believe we're about to have a long night." he says dryly into the night.

He waits for Jans outburst, then tries to catch Konrads attention.  He tilts his head towards the bush to their side, indicating his desire to flank again.  At least this time he'd give them the common courtesy of an input.  Jeff was surprised he hadn't been at least a little chastised earlier.  Maybe rank had something to do with it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:14, Fri 20 July 2012.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 357 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Thu 19 Jul 2012
at 10:08
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay maintained his vigil from the lookout post, but with no binoculars or night vision gear he couldn't see much. He strained his senses, eyes and ears burning to locate any possible threats.

As he stayed still the cold gradually returned, eager to finish the job it had started earlier in the dark water. With no boots on, the cold, damp metal and wood of the Queen leeched the energy from his feet. His teeth started to chatter again. He clamped his mouth closed in a vain attempt to fight the encroaching cold, but knew that pretty soon he would be powerless to fight it.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1083 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 19 Jul 2012
at 18:29
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz fell silent, realising he was talking a lot about himself. He resorted to his final conversational gambit with inscrutable foreigners: it had worked with Jay so maybe it would work here, "I know you're a big shot pilot and all and i'm not being sexist or anything, but do you cook? I ask everyone that, if you do, what's your favourite recipe?"
Craig Sutherland
 player, 530 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 20 Jul 2012
at 02:28
Re: Ch. 18: Plock


Craig gives a short jump as the AK's open up. Having just moved out of their field of fire he hugs the ground. He rolls slightly onto one elbow bringing his shot gun up to bear on the new threat.

He holds his fire as the others put rounds down range. If other shooters engage Craig will fire his shotgun at the new threat. His head wound had made a real difference to his hearing, it hopefully had not affected his balance as well.


Rescue Squad
Holding Fire, engaging any additional threats

L32A1 (Browning A5) 10" Barrel [4/3] 00 Buckshot

This message was last edited by the player at 03:17, Fri 20 July 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1674 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 20 Jul 2012
at 03:15
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Fuck off... ve'are coming through!" Bayer bellows loudly after dropping to the ground. He then turns and shouts angrily to Jan, "Tell them to back off and let us through or we will kill everything in our path... including their friends on the boat. They have thirty seconds to clear off for good! No more warnings."

Bayer then turns in the other direction towards Warren and waves him off to the flank, "Thirty seconds and we're fighting through." he says.

Still keeping low, Bayer then unhooks his radio handset and says impatiently, "Griet... Griet... I need you to get one of those prisoners on the loudspeaker for ahh... proof of life. Get them singing, or crying, for a minute then off. Over." He didn't take the time to explain the reasons and hope she understood what he was asking for.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:27, Fri 20 July 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1349 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 20 Jul 2012
at 12:46
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan followed Konrad's instructions, yelling at the shooters ahead of them.  "Wycofać lub zabijemy was wszystkich! Mamy do niewoli swoich kolegów na łodzi. Masz trzydzieści sekund, aby uzyskać z naszej drodze lub zaczniemy zabijać je, jak dobrze!" *

He hoped that they would see sense and withdraw but he suspected that they wouldn't.


*Note: This should translate as: "Back off or we will kill all of you!  We have captured your comrades on the boat.  You have thirty seconds to get out of our way or we will start killing them as well!"
Minh Quyen
 player, 643 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 20 Jul 2012
at 14:54
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Quyen instinctively squeezes off two quick shots towards the shooter then holds her fire when she realizes Konrad and Jan were trying to give the locals a last warning. While the clock ticks Quyen crab-crawls off to the side a little and nestles up against a sizable tree for cover. She then leans out just enough to fire her weapon and waits to reengage or advance.

Quyen
AK74 (28-30)
Firing 2 shots then seeking good cover

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 652 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 20 Jul 2012
at 15:29
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Roger that, Sunray," Griet said.

She called down to Danny, "Get two of the prisoners up here as soon as you can."

She pulled her pistol from its holster and chambered a round whilst she waited for Danny to bring up the people she had called for.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2601 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 20 Jul 2012
at 20:37
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

The landing team hit the dirt as rounds buzz overhead. Fortunately for Konrad, Jan, Craig, Minh, and Jeff, the marksmanship of these wild boys is atrocious. Jan, Craig, and Minh instinctively return fire, each squeezing off a couple of rounds towards the source of the enemy gunman (or gunkid). (Jan, Craig, & Minh -2 rounds each)

Jan follows up his fire with a shouted threat. It draws another burst of gunfire, this one even more innacurate. Apparently, the shooter doesn't believe him. As Warren moves west in a another attempt to flank the delaying force, Konrad preps the rest of the team for a frontal assault.

On the tug, from behind the HMG's gun shield, Tucker sees the brief orange strobe of muzzle flashes blinking from behind a stand of trees about 30m inshore- a single muzzle flash to his right (north) and two or three serparate muzzle flashes to the left (south). Although he assumes that the southern shooters are hsi fellow Kommandos, he can't quite be sure. Both sets are well within range of his Dishka, but the chances of a blue-on-blue incident are very real without proper target identification.

While Anneka tends to the eldest boy's horrific eye injury, Danny selects and escorts one of the younger boys- the rower Connolly clubbed unconscious seems the most frightened and therefore, most likely compliant- to the tug's bridge. Walter takes over the con while Griet directs the young prisoner's loudspeaker-projected performance. The boy, concussed, scared, and now alone, complies fully, his high-pitched prepubescent voice ringing across the dark water towards the west bank. His childishness is belied by the slight smile that registers in his eyes as he hears his amplified voice project from the tug's powerful loudspeaker. Griet instructs the boy to repeat the message, and he does, with even more gusto the second time around.

Back on dry land, the enemy firing stops shortly after the message begins. It's hard to make out the first time, but it's much louder and clearer the second time. When the broadcast ends, Konrad hears brush breaking- it sounds like the shooter has decided he'd be best off following directions and leaving the area. Whether this means the way forward is now clear, however, is not certain.


Next Moves?
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 358 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sat 21 Jul 2012
at 11:54
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay scanned around. The firefight seemed to be a pretty one sided affair, so he decided that he of more use looking the other way, in case another surprise was waiting for them. As he did so he flexed his toes in an effort to fight off the cold.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1321 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 21 Jul 2012
at 14:05
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Cap'n Rae:
On the tug, from behind the HMG's gun shield, Tucker sees the brief orange strobe of muzzle flashes blinking from behind a stand of trees about 30m inshore- a single muzzle flash to his right (north) and two or three serparate muzzle flashes to the left (south). Although he assumes that the southern shooters are hsi fellow Kommandos, he can't quite be sure. Both sets are well within range of his Dishka, but the chances of a blue-on-blue incident are very real without proper target identification.

Tucker watches the flashes of the gunfight on the shoreline and calls out what he sees out of habit even though others are probably seeing the same thing.  "CONTACT!  MUST BE OUR GUYS ON THE SHORLINE.  NO AVAILABLE THREATS TO ENGAGE!"

TUCKER
Portside Dushka

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2830 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 21 Jul 2012
at 19:04
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg # 336):

Dawid aimed the Vasilek in that direction but held his fire.

"Hold fire! We wait until requested, or at least shore party marks their position. I have the Kaptain a couple flares for that purpose."

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1677 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 22 Jul 2012
at 03:56
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Everyone okay?" Bayer asks, looking around and placing his weapon back on safe. He then toggles his radio and says, "Queen, this is Sunray. We are getting some minor harassment but contact is now broken... and maybe clear from this point. Appreciate the speed of your assistance. Situation unchanged for your call sign? Over."

Bayer then looks to Jan and asks, "What do you think?"
Craig Sutherland
 player, 531 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 22 Jul 2012
at 06:42
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 338):

"Its either a tactical retreat or they have something bigger planned. Let hope they are running, arms raided into the woods."

He reloaded his shotgun and unslung his rifle.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 653 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 22 Jul 2012
at 09:49
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Queen to Sunray, we are fine and en route to your position."

She called out to Dawid, "Dawid, do you want to organise a crew for the ship's boat? I can do it if you're too busy."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2831 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 22 Jul 2012
at 10:35
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg # 340):

"Thanks, Tucker's already delegated to organise that but if you want to, I appreciate it. Maybe he and Jay? Or, they've done their part tonight, but I can't think who else can go. You and I are needed here."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:13, Sun 22 July 2012.

Daniel Larue
 player, 146 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 22 Jul 2012
at 15:13
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"I can handle the boat better than I can handle Tucker's Dishka," Danny advises Griet.  He glances over at the prisoner, who seems to be enjoying himself far too much.  "I'll put this guy back with the other Lost Boys and get Kel to guard the doctor while she finishes with them."
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1350 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 22 Jul 2012
at 20:10
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan thought for a moment about Konrad's question and Craig's comment while he changed the mag in his AK for a fresh one.  Eventually a nasty grin came over his face as he replied.

"I think we demonstrate just how much more dangerous we are than them.  I say we mark our position to the Queen with a torch and then get one of the machine gunners on the Queen to spray the bank ahead of us.  These idiots are amateurs and 12.7mm rounds flying around is going to scare the hell out of them even more.  If it provokes fire in return then we have our answer.  If it does not provoke fire in return then we continue on with our slow pace patrol."

He scratched at an itch on his chin.  "Either that or we give up on the bank and get back on the boat," he added with a Gallic shrug.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1678 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 22 Jul 2012
at 23:47
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer nods to Craig and then turns to Jan and agrees to his suggestion, "Alright, a firepower demonstration might help ehh... convince them to keep running."

Bayer then toggles his radio and says, "Queen, Sunray. Request spec-fire from machine gun. 800 mils right of my signal to 1200 mils, six bursts into the treeline. Standby by for signal. Over." He then pulls out his flashlight and moves to a position where the tug could see his light - which he flashes in three times (keeping his hands cupped around it to limit it's exposure) until Griet or Dawid acknowledge seeing it.

While they wait, he replies to Jan, "No... we're on land now. There was a miscommunication and this wasn't exactly the plan, so lets make the best of it."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:48, Sun 22 July 2012.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 439 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Tue 24 Jul 2012
at 06:14
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff raises an eyebrow at the show of force.  It was bold, but he would have gone with leveling the castle they spoke of.

Nonetheless, he slowly lowers himself to the ground.  Better safe than sorry.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 654 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 24 Jul 2012
at 08:20
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"OK," Griet said, "Danny and Jay take the boat, try not to get captured this time, I want that boat for the tug. Two should be enough, don't you think?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2832 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 24 Jul 2012
at 08:47
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 344):

Dawid relayed the fire information from Konrad to Tucker, indicating the area where the fire of the portside Dushka should be directed.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2602 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 24 Jul 2012
at 17:19
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Danny returns the young boy to his companions chained to the taffrail where he finds Anneka wrapping a bandage around the injured teenager's head. On the way, Danny grabs Kel and hands over prisoner guard duty so that he and Jay can prep the captured boat for use in the immediate future. Jay returns to where he keeps his pack and changes into some dry socks. Besides his sore face, he's feeling much better. The small boat is still tied to the tug's starboard quarter, its bows facing aft.

Dawid relayed Konrad's fire support request to Tucker (NPC'ed) who spots the Kommando leader's signal flashes blinking purposefully on the west bank. He aims well to the right of the light and squeezes off the first of six five-round bursts. The tracers race off into the darkness, the heavy rounds tearing through the trees and brush ahead of Konrad's shore team. Regardless of whether the fire causes any casualties among prospective enemy holding parties, it's an impressive demonstration of force. Hopefully, this display, coupled with the young prisoner's psyops broadcast, will discourage anyone else from attempting to ambush the shore team. (30 rounds of 12.7mm subtracted from stores)

After Tucker fires the last burst. Konrad orders Jan to lead the team forward, following the riverbank in its northern course. They soon come across a small pile of empty shell casings, a small fur pelt, and a couple of fallen sapplings, the latter victims of Tucker's HMG fire. In the dark, no further sign of the enemy is detected. The team moves slowly and cautiously, while the tug works hard to keep pace against the current (which moves much faster than the shore team).

As both parties move north, a large wooded island looms up on the tug's starboard side. McClurg keeps a close eye on treeline from behind the starboard HMG. The western channel narrows onsiderably ahead, offering a hostile force an opportunity to ambush the approaching tug, firing on it from both banks.

The shore team arrives at the edge of a seemingly abandoned hamlet. A badly deteriorated dirt road runs parralel to the riverbank, leading into the collection of dilapidated buildings. This would be a logical spot for another ambush. Despite the growing potential for ambush for both the shore team and tug, no hostile forces have yet been spotted. It's dark, and cold, and daylight is still at least four hours off. In addition, a few of the Kommandos (those captured) are aware that the rag-tag force of child "beasties" that have just been driven off are allegedly part of a larger force ("sportos" and "supers" were also mentioned by the beasties' leader back at the campsite) commanded by some kind of "queen" operating out of Plock, a city which is only a few short kilometers downriver.

Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.080842,0.264187

*XP has been awarded for the recent engagement.


Next Moves?
Daniel Larue
 player, 147 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Wed 25 Jul 2012
at 00:51
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Looking down from the deck of the Queen, Danny skeptically surveys the newly-captured small craft.  "I dub thee 'Vistula Stepdaughter,'" he mutters, then grabs a bucket, swings his legs over the rail, and gingerly lowers himself into the boat.

Using both his flashlight and the fading glow of his chemlight, he gives the vessel a quick assessment, starting with general structural integrity and finishing with the engine and fuel supply.  He spends a few careful minutes on the latter, popping off the cowling and subjecting the outboard to as much scrutiny as his rusty mechanical skills can bring to bear.  Once he's done with that task, he dips a few bucketfuls of frigid water from the river and sluices the seats and gunwales clean of the worst clots of blood and Mariusz' most recent meal, then bails out the accumulated water and muck.

When he's convinced that the boat is as seaworthy as he can make it, he hauls himself back aboard the tug for the conversation he's been avoiding.  "Jay," he begins, looking around to ensure Kel and Anneka are out of earshot.  "Dude, I am so sorry I didn't come after you when the Zodiac got hit.  I was too focused on the major and by the time I realized you were gone I had no idea where to start looking for you.  I profoundly fucked that shit up, man.  I'm really glad you're okay."

Danny
Preparing to set sail for fail
Winona [30/30 + 6 magazines] - slung, SAFE
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, SAFE
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 359 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Wed 25 Jul 2012
at 08:51
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay was reluctant to get back on board a small vessel so quickly, but he did as he was told. Prior to setting off he put on fresh socks and pulled his damp boots back on over them. He also retrieved two magazines from his soggy, mud-caked webbing and shook the water out of them before stuffing them in his pockets.

Heading back outside, he clambered back into the boat with Danny. Again, he had left his helmet and armour on the Queen, but now had his rifle with the two spare mags. He sat at the bow, leaving Danny free to drive.

Daniel Larue:
"Jay," he begins, looking around to ensure Kel and Anneka are out of earshot.  "Dude, I am so sorry I didn't come after you when the Zodiac got hit.  I was too focused on the major and by the time I realized you were gone I had no idea where to start looking for you.  I profoundly fucked that shit up, man.  I'm really glad you're okay."


Jay looked over at the medic. "No worry, I good. I fall in water then follow you to camp. I go sneaky sneaky, but too cold, so come back to Queen. You do right, look after Major, she maybe sick."

He gave him a reassuring smile, his white teeth standing out in the darkness. Jay had not yet had a chance to wash, so his face was still largely caked in dried mud from his camouflage attempts. He looked quite a sight.

OOC - Jay is okay for now but will need rest and warmth soon. Also, he only has his AK74 with 2 spare mags and the GL with 1 grenade loaded. His webbing is on the boat, caked in mud and soaked with river water. It, along with his other clothes, needs a good clean and dry before it can be used again.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1679 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 25 Jul 2012
at 16:54
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer pauses and scans the area with his image intensifiers and listens to the sounds of the night to reveal anything. He then crouches down and toggles the radio transmit switch, giving his teammates an opportunity to speak up before he continues. He then says, "Queen. Sunray. Anything? We're quiet here, but I'm still concerned about the channel. Over."

He then turns back to his companions and says, "What do you think? I'm ready to push on and clear the left bank while the tug holds back."
Minh Quyen
 player, 644 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 25 Jul 2012
at 17:20
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
He then turns back to his companions and says, "What do you think? I'm ready to push on and clear the left bank while the tug holds back."


"Okay with that." Quyen whispers back.

Quyen then crouches down and watches the hamlet and flanks while things get sorted out and they start moving again. Moving again meant a little bit of warmth too... which is what she wanted just as much as anything else. The chill of the night sank through her light clothing and into her bones. Dammit...
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2834 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 25 Jul 2012
at 20:30
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer pauses and scans the area with his image intensifiers and listens to the sounds of the night to reveal anything. He then crouches down and toggles the radio transmit switch, giving his teammates an opportunity to speak up before he continues. He then says, "Queen. Sunray. Anything? We're quiet here, but I'm still concerned about the channel. Over."

He then turns back to his companions and says, "What do you think? I'm ready to push on and clear the left bank while the tug holds back."


Dawid aimed the Vasilek at the left bank, but swivelled it to the right to cover the island. It seemed that was where the boat was originally heading.

The radio crackled, Konrad was talking directly to Griet so he clarified she could take the lead there on the intercom. "Griet, I'm concentrating on the island and can't take care of comms right now. If you could handle that I would appreciate it, please pass on information about the Queen, castle, and so on."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 655 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 25 Jul 2012
at 21:48
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Will do," Griet replied, "Queen to Sunray. Have a boat ready to pick you up if you need it. Intel we have is that there are at least three groups of youths in feral tribes. They report to a "Queen" who is supposedly in a castle on the island before Plock. I know of no island although the German name for these island is something about forts. This part of the river is notoriously changeable and I've risked a lot getting this far. We'll be riding our luck if we continue at night but we've been doing that since you got on board and we're still here. We can pick you up or support you as you wish. My suggestion would be to get back here, warm up and deal with things in daylight but I can see problems with losing operational tempo. We'll do what you want Sir."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1680 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 25 Jul 2012
at 21:56
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Sunray, roger." Bayer replies quietly over the radio. "Advice noted... but we push on and keep up the momentum. I don't want to lose the initiative. Plus, we own the night and it's our best strength against their numbers. Waiting until day loses that edge and gives them time to recover." He then gives those around him a look to gauge their responses and finishes the broadcast, "Move at your own speed, safely, and focus on the island. We'll clear the shore and link up with you downriver. I want to be clear of Plock by dawn. Sunray out."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:57, Wed 25 July 2012.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 656 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 25 Jul 2012
at 22:38
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Roger that Sunray," Griet replied, "we will try to bypass Polck whilst supporting you as much as we can."

"Dawid," she called over the intercom, "the Kaptain wants to move down the bank and wants us to bypass Polck, dealing with the Queen if it arises. I need the launch manned ready to use if we need to pick up the shore party and I need the spotlight focused in front of us. That's going to light you up like a Christmas tree and make us an easy target for shore fire. If we come under fire I'll cut the light and stop in situ but you'll still be under fire with no night vision. Adjust accordingly. If you need the Queen anywhere, tell me and I'll do my best to do it."

She rubbed her hands on her trousers and stood up from the helmsman's seat. She let her body tune to the vibration of the tug and the pull of the river as she felt her way through the darkness. Her senses were alert, trying to pick up danger before it met the brave craft. She picked up the intercom and said, "Engineering, I want all water pumped into the bow tanks, once you've done that shift what ballast you can, I want her running nose down so if we hit anything the bows will take the hit and leave the screws intact."

She focused the light about fifty meters in front of the boat, just enough time to react at this speed and she endeavored to keep on the outside of the bend to find the deepest water. Many of her ways of reading the river were useless in the darkness so she had to rely on the feel of the boat and the tell tale signs she could see. Arrowheads downstream would indicate channels of deep water converging, the funnels beloved of canoeists, the same thing facing upstream would herald an underwater obstruction like a snag or a rock or wreck. Still water, which often signified deep channels was nearly impossible to detect at night, especially when the channel was splitting around an island.

She also kept an eye out for debris collecting in the water, she recalled from the intel that the boys felt the boat wouldn't pass the bridges without the Queen's say so, that might mean an underwater chain and such a barrier would gather some tell tale debris.

She called to Dawid again, "When we get near the bridge I suggest we rake it with suppressive fire: the Queen may have forces on it waiting to ambush us."

She clicked off the transmit button and held the wheel lightly to be responsive to any variations in the tug's progress.

"Holy Saint Brendan," she spoke softly to herself, "be with us in our hour of need and guide me safely through this ordeal. Let me not forget the face of my father."

Trying to become one with the Queen, Griet guided her into the darkness.
Daniel Larue
 player, 148 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Thu 26 Jul 2012
at 00:23
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay looks over at the PJ.  "No worry, I good. I fall in water then follow you to camp. I go sneaky sneaky, but too cold, so come back to Queen. You do right, look after Major, she maybe sick."  He smiles reassuringly, teeth gleaming through the coating of mud.

Danny nods.  "Yeah, dude, if we'd know you were out there being sneaky-sneaky, we might not have tried to hard to escape!  Though, hey, free replacement boat."  He pats the side of the Stepdaughter, then pauses as he hears the Queen's trim pumps start up.  "Queen, Coyote," he murmurs into his radio.  "Do you want us to move out ahead of you and take depth soundings?  Over."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:27, Thu 26 July 2012.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 657 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 26 Jul 2012
at 08:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet nodded at Danny's suggestion, "I'd thought of that, it would be useful but it's going to put you in a small boat in the middle of a spotlight with one of you taking soundings and the other operating the outboard and keeping an eye on us. I thought it was too risky to ask but if you've thought of it and are willing to take the risks I'll support it. The Queen is precious to me but if she gets hurt we can fix her, it's not the same with people."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2836 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 26 Jul 2012
at 10:50
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg # 356):

"Sounds good."

"Don't cut the light if we come under fire, track the target instead. Being able to see our targets is crucial, and we can take fire better than the launch so let's be the more juice-filled target.

"Understood. If I see anything worthwhile on the bridge, they'll get some fragmentation to suppress them. I guess that's it, let's get moving."

This message was last edited by the player at 11:08, Thu 26 July 2012.

Daniel Larue
 player, 149 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Thu 26 Jul 2012
at 19:42
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Danny snorts to himself before keying his mic again. "So point the light at the shore, not us. I have NVGs and oars. No need to make light or noise."

He releases the transmit switch and looks over at Jay. "Sorry, didn't mean to volunteer you too. I understand if you think this is a bad idea."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 658 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 26 Jul 2012
at 19:55
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"That's even more risky than the spotlight," Griet said, "you'll have no mobility and we won't be able to see you, any mistakes and the first thing we'll know is the crunching sound as we run over you. Also, how do you intend to keep far enough ahead of us to take soundings using the oars alone? If you've got sensible answers for those questions, it's a viable option."
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1353 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 26 Jul 2012
at 22:02
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan nodded in agreement with Konrad's assessment of the situation and his plan.  Keep pushing these youths and they would run - they were disorganised kids playing at soldiers and it would take them quite a while to recover their morale and become effective again.  Some individuals might pose a problem but they would be the exception, though this Queen in a Castle might be a different matter.

One thing bothered him slightly though, an English word he hadn't understood.  "What does feral mean?" Jan asked quietly before he started to lead the shore party forward, AK held ready to open up if he spotted anything.  He wasn't taking any chances now.  If he spotted anything remotely threatening then he intended to start firing a number of quick shots at it.  Startling the enemy seemed to have been very effective so far.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 532 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 27 Jul 2012
at 07:27
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Craig covered his sector as he waited for the signal to move out. He rubbed his hands trying to get some warmth into them as he watched the surrounding scrub. When Konrad gave his assessment Craig gave him a thumbs up to signal his agreement.

Once they moved off again Craig would put his G3 at his shoulder and push forward aggressively.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:42, Fri 27 July 2012.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 361 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Fri 27 Jul 2012
at 07:32
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Daniel Larue (msg # 360):

Jay shrugged his shoulders. Right now he would rather be sat by a warm stove with a large mug of tea, but that wasn't going to happen anytime soon, so for now he was happy enough to follow instructions.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2837 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 27 Jul 2012
at 07:39
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
"That's even more risky than the spotlight," Griet said, "you'll have no mobility and we won't be able to see you, any mistakes and the first thing we'll know is the crunching sound as we run over you. Also, how do you intend to keep far enough ahead of us to take soundings using the oars alone? If you've got sensible answers for those questions, it's a viable option."


He added his opinion to the back-and-forth over the radio.

"You can borrow my Russian night-goggles to help navigate."

"The current is running swift, even with oars they'll make at least 4-5 knots, I think?"

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 660 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 27 Jul 2012
at 07:50
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"The current isn't that fast but the night vision would help," Griet agreed, "people just need to remember that whilst the Queen is mobile, physics and momentum still apply. It takes a while to change and if anything unexpected happens, chances are the boat will be ploughed under by two hundred tons of slowing tug. We are attempting the most dangerous manouvres possible here so I'm just pointing out that we need to prepare for contingencies because I'd rather not lose the launch after just acquiring it. If you want to do it, I'll do my best to not crush you but be aware it's a distinct possibility."

She waited to see what everyone would decide and then tried her best to get the Queen through the ordeal without killing any of her own crew.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2603 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 27 Jul 2012
at 17:14
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

While on board the tug, Danny and Jay prepare to play pathfinder in the newly acquired small boat, Konrad orders the shore team to maintain the initiative and continue to press forward. Jan leads the way, taking the group into the ruined hamlet. They move among the piles of debris that used to be simple homes, looking for any tell-tale signs of impending ambush. Night vision devices give the team an advantage that their young antagonists most likely don't share. The green tinged viewscape reveals nothing but cold destruction and rot. It seems that someone is attempting to shadow the team, staying just out of sight up ahead. It's more of a feeling of being watched, reinforced by fleeting sounds of movement. Still, the group pushes forward, clearing the dead settlement and moving into the riverside wilderness beyong. In two hours, they cover a little more than two kilometers.

Meanwhile, on board the Krolowa, the newly christened Stepdaughter is launched. It drifts ahead of the tug on the swift current. Danny does his best to take soundings in the bows while Jay gets his body temperature up at the oars. The channel here, although narrow, is deep enough that there is no danger of the Krolowa running aground so long as she stays in its middle, equadistant from both the western and eastern riverbanks. The tug crew shifts water balast forward and the Krolowa's nose dips perceptibly as she follows the small boat. Despite the almost palpable threat of ambush in the narrows, the tug is not attacked. Ironically, she burns fuel trying to move more slowly than the currently unpowered (or, rather, Ghurka-powered) rowboat.

The tug makes it safely past the mid-channel island. Here, the channel widens as the forks of the Vistula reunite just past the island's northern tip. There's more room for manouver here, and it follows that the chance of running aground has dimished as well. However, a sandbank glows white against the dark water just off the western edge of the river, forcing the tug to proceed closer to the east bank.

About a kilometer ahead, on the right, the yellow lights of an inhabited settlement flicker in the darkness. Part of the city appears to float above the rest. A low hill buts up against the river. Walter identifies the landmark as Tum hill. Atop this hill stands the remains of a large late medieval church, possibly the "castle" the prisoners spoke of. It commands a dominating view of the river that runs just beneath its walls. Walter explains that Plock was heavily bombed by NATO forces earlier in the war, it's large petrochemical plant more or less destroyed, releasing dangerous quantities of highly toxic smoke into the surrounding countryside. Many of the civilians who did not flee the initial fighting were overcome and killed by the caustic fumes. The city was abandoned for over a year before refugees started to return home. The last time Walter passed this way, about a year ago, there were only a couple of hundred people living in Plock. By the number of lights you can see glimmering in the vicinity of the city, it looks like at least double that number of people currently inhabit the city. And the fact that there are lights on at all indicate that they've heard the ruckus you helped create earlier in the night and are now awake and alert.

It's about an hour before dawn.

Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.040413,0.132093

OOC: Please note that the near bridge did/does not exist in the game timeline.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:16, Fri 27 July 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1355 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 29 Jul 2012
at 13:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Pausing briefly in the darkness Jan reported to Konrad.  "Capitaine we have at least one person in front of us who keeps retreating as we advance," he said quietly.  "Do you want to start hunting him or just keep advancing along the riverbank?"

He kept scanning around trying to spot whether the person in front of them was trying to lead them into an ambush.  Fatigue was starting to catch up with him though and he felt tired, despite the restful couple of weeks that he had had in Gora Kalwaria before leaving on this leg of their journey.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:19, Sun 29 July 2012.

Daniel Larue
 player, 152 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 29 Jul 2012
at 23:15
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Crouching in the bow of the Stepdaughter, Danny reels in his dripping sounding line, counting off knotted intervals.  "Queen, Coyote," he murmurs into his radio, "depth is eight meters.  Sandbar to port, range four-zero meters.  You should be fine down the center."

Once he hears Griet's acknowledgement, he looks back at his Nepali outboard motor.  "Hey, man, tag out.  My turn to row."  He carefully trades places with Jay, then unbuckles his helmet and offers it and the attached NVGs to the Gurkha.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2841 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 30 Jul 2012
at 00:29
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg # 367):

Dawid aimed the Vasilek in the general direction of the castle/church.
Anneka Soleblume
 NPC, 1569 posts
 Major
 Israeli Medical Officer
Mon 30 Jul 2012
at 00:51
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Anneka left the prisoners under Kel's watchful eye and made her way forward to the Vasilek "gun tub".

"Dawid? I know you are busy, but I have some news that may interest you. One of the boys brought aboard is injured. As I was treating him, he made a comment about 'the royal doctor' back in Plock. I pressed for details and he told me that this doctor- a woman, and pediatrician by the sound of it- joined the community only a few weeks ago and that she came from Warsaw. That's all I could get out of him. I remember that your sister was a doctor in Warsaw and that she was traded down the river for some artillery shells. Is she a pediatrician? I thought you should know."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2842 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 30 Jul 2012
at 05:39
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Anneka Soleblume:
Anneka left the prisoners under Kel's watchful eye and made her way forward to the Vasilek "gun tub".

"Dawid? I know you are busy, but I have some news that may interest you. One of the boys brought aboard is injured. As I was treating him, he made a comment about 'the royal doctor' back in Plock. I pressed for details and he told me that this doctor- a woman, and pediatrician by the sound of it- joined the community only a few weeks ago and that she came from Warsaw. That's all I could get out of him. I remember that your sister was a doctor in Warsaw and that she was traded down the river for some artillery shells. Is she a pediatrician? I thought you should know."


"Wow, that makes a lot of sense. She was a pediatrician, yes.

"If she was traded down river by the Baron, I hope for the people who've got her she's a free woman now. If not, they are all dead men. I'll update the Kaptain."


He keyed the radio.

"Eagle calling Sunray."

"We have intelligence from one of the prisoners that there is a doctor in Plock. Much like how the Baron traded my sister downstream for some artillery shells. Request permission to investigate."

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 362 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Mon 30 Jul 2012
at 06:59
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Daniel Larue (msg # 369):

Jay's first real experience of rowing a boat was an interesting one. He had seen it before, and had the odd go here and there, but never for real. He had managed pretty well under Danny's instruction, but it was a tiring task.

When the time came to swap he was happy at first, but then realised that he was out of his depth (pardon the pun) when it came to taking soundings. Hopefully Danny wouldn't ask him to take any.

He slipped on the helmet and adjusted the NVGs, quickly becoming accustomed to the cold green images. He gave Danny a thumbs up to indicate he was ready, and took his place at the bow, rife in hand. As he huddled down, the sweat started to settle on his back, and the cold inched it's way back in...
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1681 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 30 Jul 2012
at 11:43
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan Cerny:
"Do you want to start hunting him or just keep advancing along the riverbank?"


Bayer stops and scans the area with his NOD then whispers back, "Let him be. I expect them to shadow us until we clear out of their territory." He then adds while continuing signalling for the advance to continue, "If they bump up the numbers... we will take action."

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Eagle calling Sunray."

"We have intelligence from one of the prisoners that there is a doctor in Plock. Much like how the Baron traded my sister downstream for some artillery shells. Request permission to investigate."


Bayer slows, but keeps moving while responding to Dawid over the radio, "Sunray. Send over." Bayer then thinks for a moment. He didn't want to get drawn into any lord of the flies nonsense here, even if it was tempting, but he did give his word - and checking was the right thing to do anyways. Bayer then toggles the transmit button and says, "Sunray. Roger. Do you have any contact on your end for a parlay? We have contact here. Over."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2843 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 31 Jul 2012
at 09:59
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer slows, but keeps moving while responding to Dawid over the radio, "Sunray. Send over." Bayer then thinks for a moment. He didn't want to get drawn into any lord of the flies nonsense here, even if it was tempting, but he did give his word - and checking was the right thing to do anyways. Bayer then toggles the transmit button and says, "Sunray. Roger. Do you have any contact on your end for a parlay? We have contact here. Over."


"Negative. All we have right now is unverified information from a prisoner about a doctor in town, and what we heard in Warszawa about the Baron selling Urzula for some artillery shells. If the chemical plant made and stockpiled such ammunition, that would make sense. I would like question the prisoner further, if you don't mind the Vasilek being unmanned for a while. As this will affect your safety I should like your blessing first."
Craig Sutherland
 player, 534 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 31 Jul 2012
at 23:58
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Hunkered down in the grass, Craig tried to get a bead on their watcher. Things like this never worked out especially if the little bugger had a radio and friends.

He scanned left to right with his rifle looking for any tell tale signs, vegetation movement, noise or a flash of equipment.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1323 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 1 Aug 2012
at 00:37
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Finally all kitted up in his body armor and gear, Tucker keeps watch on the port side Duska for any threats.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1682 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 1 Aug 2012
at 13:07
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Negative. I would like question the prisoner further, if you don't mind the Vasilek being unmanned for a while. As this will affect your safety I should like your blessing first."


Bayer takes another look at their distant escort and replies, "Sunray. Roger. We are under observation but nothing suspicious at this time. Maintain machinegun overwatch. Over."

Bayer then signals for Jan to keep moving, but a little closer to the shore.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 441 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Wed 1 Aug 2012
at 18:16
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff makes a surprisingly diplomatic suggestion "Perhaps we should call out to him.  Best way to get in contact if you mean to negotiate without shooting more children."

Jeff lets Konrad consider this for a moment and then changes tactics.  "Or I could go grab him."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2845 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 1 Aug 2012
at 20:55
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 378):

"Understood."

He waited for Konrad to finish the conversation (per protocol the commander always gets the last word) and then Dawid used the intercom to call Griet and inform her the forward gun tub was unmanned because he was going to talk to the prisoners. He could return immediately if a call for fire was received.

After, he kindly and gently questioned the prisoners one at a time away from the others. He ignored anyone who showed him attitude, and instead showed sympathy and understanding (perhaps faked) towards any "weak" link. He asked about his sister, describing her and trying to get a timeline. As well, he asked about this "Queen", hoping they were not the same person.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2607 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 12 Aug 2012
at 00:13
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Dawid singles out the boy who'd already been chosen to speak to his comrades on shore via the tug's loudspeaker, and takes him to a cabin for a little chat. Whether it's the warmth of the cabin, or Dawid's good cop approach, the boy responds favorably, volunteering a good deal of information about the situation in Plock.

Dawid learns much from the interview. The doctor mentioned by the others is, beyond a reasonable doubt, Dawid's sister, Urzula. It's not clear whether she serves this Queen of Plock willingly, but it is clear that she and the Queen are not one and the same. Although having been in Plock for only a short time- the boy's sense of time is fairly loose- Urzula seems to be much loved by the boys of the Queen's army. It sounds like she's healed many a wound and cured many an illness in the time she's operated in her present capacity.

The size of this army is hard to determine. The boy says thousands, but, once again, his number sense doesn't seem very well developed, so the accuracy of the figure seems objectively doubtful. The army is divided into several "companies" of a "couple hundred". Each company has a colorful title and a corresponding mode of dress that sets it apart from the others. There appears to be a fairly good-natured competition between these companies for the Queen's favor. There's the "Beasties" of whom the boy is one. There are also "Monsters", "Sportos", "Supers", and "Kung Fus". Each company is led by a cadre of older boys, the bulk of each unit consisting of boys ranging in age from fourteen to eight. The teenager with the wrecked eye currently tied to the aft railing is the sub-commander of the Beasties.

This rag-tag child army has apparently defeated all efforts of any of the surrounding powers- government and marauder (apparently including the now defunct Vistula Korsairs)- from annexing plock. "Everybody knows we're not to be fucked with." the boy proudly proclaims. The Queen's army not only defends Plock and its growing community of small farmers, it also mounts occasional raids to secure needed resources and new recruits.  The Queen's army is well equipped with small arms but does not appear to have much in the way of heavy weapons. The boy doesn't seem to know much in the way of military tactics. It sounds like their martial success is more due to their shocking appearance and near suicidal bravery than anything else.

The boy- his name is Petr- is upset that his Beasties have been deprived of their trophy of prisoners. Having so recently gone from captor to captive himself, Petr worries that he and his entire unit will now no doubt become the subjects of ridicule for the rest of the army.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2847 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 12 Aug 2012
at 05:56
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg # 381):

He was considerably relieved that Urzula was not the "Queen". It would be out of character for her, but stranger things have happened to peoples' minds and souls under the circumstances. She was not the warlord but some kind of mother-figure for these child warriors. If he was more familiar with Peter Pan he would have made the comparison to her being the "Wendy" to these murderous "Lost Boys".

Trying to raise the boy's spirit he said, "oh, I should imagine things will look up for you, soon. If our "Queen" (the boat) and your Queen can work together, we'd be powerful indeed!"

Dawid imagined that the other Queen's successes were a combination of brainwashed child-soldiers triumphing over disorganised farmers' militias and bandits, a lack of interest from competent groups and simple lies and disinformation about the true situation. Or, maybe these deadly children did have an enviable record of success!

He tried to get more details about Urzula and her location out of the child. It was obvious she was well-loved. "So, where is the Doctor Lady you all love so much staying? I love her too, she is my sister. I wish to see her very much."

This was a complicated situation. Should they try and rescue her, it probably couldn't be the "wrecking crew" approach that had worked so well for them in the past. Fortunately, the Kommando was capable in many different ways. He was confident they'd be able to rescue Urzula, perhaps free Plock from the Queen as well!
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1357 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 13 Aug 2012
at 22:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff D. Warren:
Jeff makes a surprisingly diplomatic suggestion "Perhaps we should call out to him.  Best way to get in contact if you mean to negotiate without shooting more children."

Jeff lets Konrad consider this for a moment and then changes tactics.  "Or I could go grab him."

Conscious of the need for more intel about Plock Jan nodded in agreement with Jeff's suggestion.  He understood Konrad's comment about expecting the enemy to shadow the land patrol's movements but he didn't like being observed when there was a chance to avoid it.

"Capitaine.  Grabbing the boy in front of us could be a good idea.  If we leave Jeff here and head westwards for a hundred meters or so to get further inland that will force our observer to move parallel with us and Jeff can then sneak in behind him.  What do you think?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1684 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 19 Aug 2012
at 17:59
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer stops and scans with his NOD then thinks for a moment, "I'd like to leave him. Dawid is working on establishing contact with the locals and aggressive moves might ruin any progress."
Craig Sutherland
 player, 536 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 20 Aug 2012
at 00:34
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer stops and scans with his NOD then thinks for a moment, "I'd like to leave him. Dawid is working on establishing contact with the locals and aggressive moves might ruin any progress."


Having overheard the change in stance Craig lowers his rifle slightly, but still keeps it at his shoulder. He was finding their observer harder then he thought so he wasn't that fussed at stopping.

He continued to scan his assigned sector as the discussion for their next move took place. Any obvious threats and he would engage with automatic fire.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 364 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Mon 20 Aug 2012
at 07:41
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay continued to scan the area for anything of interest.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 661 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 20 Aug 2012
at 09:40
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet sat back in her chair after an exhausting session of piloting the boat through a sandbank strewn river in the dark. The night vision goggles and LaRue's soundings had helped but it had been draining nonetheless.

She looked out into the darkness and hoped that the shore party would be back soon, it looked as if they'd have an interesting day ahead of them.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1086 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 20 Aug 2012
at 09:43
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz kept a close watch on Connolly and at the same time gathered together the gear that he'd left at his bunk when the raiders had attacked. He collected his rifle from where he'd left that when manning the zodiac and then got properly dressed for teh potential combat that the day might bring.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1325 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 20 Aug 2012
at 13:01
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Tucker remained vigilant on the port-side Dushka and kept watch on his sector.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2849 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 20 Aug 2012
at 16:52
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid relayed the information to Konrad.

They didn't quite know enough to make a detailed plan, but they knew a few things.

"Griet, kindly take over boat operations for the mean time. My apologies, I should have handed that over when I was otherwise engaged."

After, he returned to questioning the lad, first seeing if there was any sweets or hot chocolate to be had, perhaps from someone's MRE pack?

OOC: He asks around, etc.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 662 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 20 Aug 2012
at 18:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Not an issue," Griet said, "if you get tied up I slide in and maintain the status quo. If a major incident had occurred I'd have called you for the final decision. At the moment I have everyone on a sentry holding pattern to see what the shore party want to do."
Daniel Larue
 player, 154 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Tue 28 Aug 2012
at 02:22
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Danny suppresses a yawn and glances at the eastern sky.  "Coyote to Sunray and Queen," he murmurs into his radio.  "We're runnin' out of night here.  Request permission to discontinue sounding mission and RTB.  We can recover the shore party if that's necessary.  Over."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:23, Tue 28 Aug 2012.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 663 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 28 Aug 2012
at 15:51
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Queen to Coyote," Griet replied over the radio, "come in and good job. I'll contact Sunray to see if they want pick up."

She looked down at Dawid and asked, "I've told the boat to come in as light is coming, should we call Sunray to see if he wants pick-up?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2851 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 29 Aug 2012
at 08:14
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg # 393):

Still talking to the boy, Dawid seemed energised at the prospect of potentially being reunited with one of his family. He pulled himself out and focused on what Griet was saying.

"I agree, that's good thinking. Whatever's going to happen tonight has already happened, it's time to get together and plan our next move."

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 664 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 29 Aug 2012
at 08:30
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"I'm on it," Griet said.

She returned to the radio and said, "Queen to Sunray, Coyote is returning to us, do you want it to sweep by and pick you up?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2611 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 3 Sep 2012
at 19:16
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

The sun rose, bathing the eastern horizon in pupil-shrinking yellow light. The Queen held station mid-channel, with Plock about ten degrees to starboard of her rounded bow, and a little over a kilometer ahead. The city was dominated by a low hill that sloped down sharply into the Vistula. It was crowned with a red-brick structure that, according the Walter, used to be a large gothic church. The ruin had a commanding view of the river- a couple of heavy machine guns could dominate the river approaches. According to your prisoners, the town's youthful mortar squad had become quite adapt at dropping 60mm mortar bombs into the Vistula below the church. Through binoculars, the tug's security force, now reunited aboard the Queen, could see movement atop the hill. Plock was awake and alert. Smoke from half a dozen cooking fires rose to mingle above the battered remains of the small former industrial city.

A small boat, about ten meters in length with an outhouse-like conning station, put off from the east bank and puttered against the current towards the almost stationary tug. In the bows of the boat crouched two boys, both masked and caped, and carrying rifles. According to your intel, you surmise that these lads must be part of the Plock Queen's "Supers" militia company.


Next Moves?
Craig Sutherland
 player, 538 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 4 Sep 2012
at 09:15
Re: Ch. 18: Plock


Once back at the tug Craig takes up his position on the AGS, he couldn't remember what rotation they where on for the heavy weapons so if someone else puts their hand up he will take up the top of the wheel house.

He lines up the new threat when it is first spotted. If they open fire he will walk a burst into them.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1686 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 4 Sep 2012
at 16:37
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Once he was back on the boat, Bayer checked on those who fell overboard or had a equally rough time last night. He also took a moment to speak with Tucker to get a more thorough description of what happened to his group and a tally of any weapons or special equipment that might have been lost. Bayer then made his way up to the bridge and took up his usual position.

After studying the town and approaching boat through his binoculars, Bayer stepped out and called down to Dawid below, near the mortar, "You can deal with them. Do what you can about getting an audience with the doctor." He then says, "If they have any intention to interfere with this boat from heading downriver or forcing us to pay a tax though, you can tell these boys they are going to be disappointed."

Bayer then calls out to the others, "Stand to. Stand to. Fire in self defense or on command only."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1331 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 4 Sep 2012
at 21:44
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 398):

Tucker greets Konrad with a handshake and takes the time to add his input on his brief captivity.  "Kind of feel like an asshole getting captured by a bunch of kids.  I mean, we weren't supposed to make land and we certainly didn't see losing the zodiac like we did but, I don't think that those kids did anything we wouldn't have.  They made a lot of threats to try and keep us in line, like any captor would but, they really didn't treat us badly as they could've.  Took us a little bit to make a move on them and they pretty much complied when we got the upper hand.  We figured they were worth more alive to us than dead plus, they might be a good bargaining chip to meet this 'Queen' they talked about or get us by Plock."
Daniel Larue
 player, 158 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Wed 5 Sep 2012
at 00:33
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Once everyone's back aboard the Queen, Danny takes another look at Jay under better lighting and promptly sends the Gurkha below decks to change clothes and warm up.  After checking in on Maruisz and Connolly, he forms up on Tuck in case Konrad wants any supplementary information from him.
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1362 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 5 Sep 2012
at 13:36
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Once Jan was back on the Queen he turned off both his radio and NVGs and then returned to the cabin where his sleeping bag was laid out and got himself fully dressed with all his weapons and other gear that he carried as standard.  He then made his way back up on deck and took his assigned spot on a machinegun before quickly lighting up one of his precious cigarettes and savouring it.

"Has Mariusz made any coffee yet today?" he called over between puffs to the others around him, ever hopeful.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 371 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Wed 5 Sep 2012
at 13:41
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
After checking with Danny, Jay headed below decks. He didn't have much left in terms of clean, dry clothes, but he made a few adjustments to rotate his gear.

His gear that came out of the river was pretty muddy and still sodden. He did his best to shake off all of the mud from the clothing and hung it to dry, finding warm spots inside the boat to accelerate the process.

His webbing came next. Going back on deck he scooped a bucket of river water up and used that to wash the mud out of his webbing. Once sorted he shook the excess water off, and hung it up as well. He went through all of the other items, checking and cleaning them all one by one. It was time-consuming, but needed to be done properly.

As he went through his gear he realised that some of it might be damaged. He checked his flashlight and IR goggles, as well as his Makarov pistol. Everything else seemed to be okay, apart from his binoculars which were at the bottom of the river.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:05, Thu 06 Sept 2012.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1087 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 5 Sep 2012
at 15:08
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Not yet," Mariusz said to Jan, "we might be facing a battle here so I thought I'd wait and see who died."

He headed for his position at the mortar and readied himself to follow Dawid's directions.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 665 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 5 Sep 2012
at 15:09
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet took her position on the bridge and checked with engineering as to the status of the boat. Once she was happy with the report she intended to feed back to Konrad.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2857 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 6 Sep 2012
at 00:43
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 398):

"Understood, sir," he replied to Konrad.

Dawid met up with Mariusz at the mortar. "Great to see you! Man the PKM there, on the rail post, for now. The mortar is overkill."

Stationing himself at the sidebord, he waited for the small boat to close. He called out in Polish,

"Ahoy there the boat! Approach and be recognised!"

Daniel Larue
 player, 159 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Thu 6 Sep 2012
at 00:59
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Approach and be traumatized," Danny mutters sotto voce to no one in particular.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2612 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 6 Sep 2012
at 01:12
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

The small boat closes to within hailing distance- about 30m- and slows to a near halt. A young man steps out from behind the outhouse-like bridge structure and lifts an old fashioned speaking trumpet to his mouth.

"Permission to come aboard? I have a message for you from the Queen of Plock."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1332 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 6 Sep 2012
at 02:51
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Tucker trains the DShK trained on the boat coming out and waits to see what happens.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 444 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Thu 6 Sep 2012
at 02:59
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff stands on the crow's nest with his rifle trained on whoever is controlling the boat.  He uses the time to glass the passengers for hidden weapons and the like, and any that may not be obvious on the raft.

As the boat closes to hail, he raises his rifle to appear somewhat non-threatening.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2858 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 6 Sep 2012
at 06:22
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Cap'n Rae:
The small boat closes to within hailing distance- about 30m- and slows to a near halt. A young man steps out from behind the outhouse-like bridge structure and lifts an old fashioned speaking trumpet to his mouth.

"Permission to come aboard? I have a message for you from the Queen of Plock."


Dawid waved them onwards.

"Permission granted, please come aboard."

He stood-to to throw out a line. Dawid wasn't armed except for his sidearm. He didn't expect these little bastards to try anything, but they were still children and therefore unpredictable.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2613 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 7 Sep 2012
at 01:41
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

The small boat noses up alongside the tug, on it's starboard side (nearest Plock), and the teenager leaps aboard with a lead line in his hand. He quickly ties the vessels together, expertly looping the lead line around one of the stanchions portruding from the tug's gunwhale. At this point you notice that one of the two costumed boys sitting in the pilot boat is actually a life-size dummy- it's AK is a painted wooden prop. The other moves to the back of the boat, sits on a 55 gallon drum next to a blue tarp, and stares up at the Krolowa's bridge with dead eyes .

The teenager approaches Dawid and hands him a scroll tied with a red ribbon.

"To Whom it May Concern,

You clearly do not come in peace because you have killed several of my boys and taken four others hostage. You will return them at once, along with the bearers of this message, and a representative of your own, in the pilot boat. If you refuse these demands, the explosives on board the pilot boat will be detonated, resulting in great loss of life and property. This is not a negotiation. Comply at once or be destroyed.

The Queen of Plock"



Next Moves?
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1689 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 7 Sep 2012
at 02:05
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer remains up on the deck, splitting his attention to the parlay on deck and the town while he waited to hear from Dawid what was going on. He hoped the boy was informing him of the town's unconditional surrender or something.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:05, Fri 07 Sept 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2859 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 7 Sep 2012
at 07:54
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 412):

Dawid read the note, rubbed his eyes.

"Thank you. Wait here," he instructed the teen.

He brought the note to Konrad for him to read, shaking his head.

"Lord save us. With so much death around us, why does God permit so many suicidal people to run around? Well, I think we can say their serious. The crew looked serious, and they have enough explosives aboard to damage the tug, if it goes off as close as it is.

"It could still be a bluff, if the crew were afraid of explosives they would be more agitated and their being calm could indicate it's a ruse. But then if they're brainwashed children they might not be afraid of death.

"It goes without saying I volunteer to accompany them. IT's not stated how many representatives she requires. Otherwise, we should have some kind of plan."

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1334 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 8 Sep 2012
at 23:46
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Having taken a few minutes, Robert switches his load out he had before back over to his M-16A2/M-203 to include all ammo and grenades.  He returns the M-14K to his room or to the armory where it is out of the way for now.  He covers the boat while Dawid & Konrad talk.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 539 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 9 Sep 2012
at 00:56
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Looking over the top of the grenade launcher Craig follows the whale boat in with the muzzle of the weapon. Once it is tied off to the side of the tug it becomes redundant as any firing would endanger the whole crew and the tug.

Craig tries to get a clear look at the tarp covered cargo, using his binoculars if he has to.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1690 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 9 Sep 2012
at 01:20
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
He brought the note to Konrad for him to read, shaking his head.


Bayer reads over the note as he listens to Dawid and then says quietly, "Right, leave your gear... in case they try to take ownership of what they like." He then motions to the town and adds, "Take a radio though and do you best to keep it."

Bayer then says, "We won't make any moves while your ashore and safe. Stay sharp."

Then looking up to the aft deck to Jan, he calls, "Need you to bring the prisoners on deck and release them." He doesn't bother explaining at the moment, but his tone ought to be enough to indicate things are no longer in our favor.

Once the small boat is away, Bayer will return to the bridge and see to Griet about dropping anchor close to the dock. He'll then explain the situation to everyone.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2862 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 9 Sep 2012
at 04:49
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 416):

Dawid stopped and turned back.

"On second thought, something's not quite making sense here. The Queen is trying to save the lives of the prisoners, which indicates she values human life, but she's using suicide troops (as they don't seem to be bluffing), which indicates the opposite. Perhaps we have a valuable prisoner and don't know it? Maybe a son or favourite.

"Let's not dance completely to the Queen's tune. Instead of putting anyone in the boat, we'll just follow them. They shouldn't blow themselves up, after all the Queen is going to get what she wants and blowing up the tug will kill the prisoners, which defeats the purpose."

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 666 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 9 Sep 2012
at 09:26
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet got on the radio to Warren, "Check out the boat and see if you can work out how they are going to set off the bomb. If it's command detonated set up a shot but do not take it unless ordered."

She patched the idea through to Bayer and then waited for events to unfold."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1088 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 9 Sep 2012
at 09:29
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz followed the prisoners, his gun covering them as they moved. He was relieved that Dawid would be their representative as the boys would have a major grudge against himself.

He grumbled at the contents of the letter, "I warned the leader that he needed to let me contact the Queen to establish friendly relations but he refused. I told him that our people would assume we'd been kidnapped and act aggressively. He brought this upon himself, I gave him the chance to end it peacefully but he wouldn't."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 445 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Sun 9 Sep 2012
at 15:24
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff keyed his mic with a terse "Copy."

Bomb?  That made it interesting.

Jeff found himself simultaneously wishing for an Anti-Material rifle like that big dumb Norwegian had had, and keenly aware that pointing a weapon at the ship would not look well. However he had been told to aim for a trigger man, so he first scanned the other passenger on the boat with the maximum zoom his scope afforded before moving to the bomb itself, looking for wires or any thing else that would give away a detonator or communicator. He did his best to avoid pointing his rifle for too long at the boy, or making it obvious.
Minh Quyen
 player, 646 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 10 Sep 2012
at 15:46
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Quyen stood her position on the DSHK. The metal of the large machinegun was cold to the touch. Although the situation on the deck and with the suicide boat tied up alongside the tug Quyen keeps most of her attention directed towards the town in case there is any other activity they should know about.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 374 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Mon 10 Sep 2012
at 19:12
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay, unaware of the stand-off on deck, continued cleaning his gear.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2616 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 13 Sep 2012
at 01:43
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Dawid climbs aboard the pilot boat. The supposed bomb is concealed beneath a blue tarp aft of the small pilot house. The boat guard sits atop an oil drum near the tarp. Whatever the tarp is covering comes to about the same height as the top of drum/seat. Wires ending underneath the tarp trail from the boy's right hand, suggesting at least one possible mode of detonation.

With Dawid and the young envoy securely on board, the pilot/bomb boat shoves off and putters towards a badly damaged docking area a couple of hundred meters upriver from Tum hill and cathedral complex hulking atop its commanding heights. The tug follows at a respectful distance. The pilot boat puts ashore and is greeted by about a dozen armed boys clad in a motley assortment of super-hero-themed costumes. It's like a surreal hybrid gradeschool play mash-up of Apocalypse Now and the Superfriends. With a dozen rifles trained on her superstructure, the Wisla Krolowa pulls alongside the sturdiest looking unoccupied stretch of dock and Walter jumps ashore to tie her off. The prisoners are off-loaded and taken into custody by handful of their comrades. The wounded company leader gives Mariusz a piercing one-eyed glance as he passes him on the quarterdeck. The child warriors remain watchful but do not attempt to board the tug. It's guns are manned and the threat of use should the Plock militia try to storm its decks is clear to all. It's a stand-off by implied mutual assent. Those Kommandos interested in meeting the so-called Queen of Plock set aside their weapons and disembark as well. Once ashore, this ad hoc party of envoys is taken under escort by a squad of the Supers.

Under this bizarre armed escort of scowling costumed boy soldiers, the Kommando party climbs a winding, cratered path ascending to the crest of Tum hill. Numerous shell holes passed on the hike attest to the ferocity of the fighting here. Several of the shell holes have been modified into homey fighting positions, each with a good view of the docks and/or the river below. A couple of these bunkers are occupied by grim-faced boys manning machineguns. The red brick cathedral is badly battered. It's sprawling nature and sturdy medieval construction has assured its partial survival. Hasty repairs have been made here and there but no part of the complex appears to have been left unscarred. The ambassadors are led into the cathedral proper through a narrow alley that used to be a covered hallway. They soon lose their bearings. Some passageways dead-end in piles of rubble, others torn open by bombs and/or shellfire branch off on either side. The hike ends at a large doorway flanked by two pair of pigtailed pre-teen girls toting AKs. The boy escorts remain outside when the Kommando enters the room. Another pair of armed girls waits just inside the doors. The large room on the other side appears to be part of old cathedral's main sanctuary (imagine the set of the Holy Diver video and you'll have a sense of what the place looks like, just not quite as tidy). The large enclosure is open to the sky. On a large, throne-like seat atop a raised dais, sits a women- the first adult the Kommando have seen since encountering the Beasties- in a long, wine-red dress. Her hair is concealed under some sort of white head-scarf but her face is one that most would consider classically beautiful. One might expect to see a magical talking mirror hanging on the wall nearby. On either side of the tall throne stand another pair of armed girls. In the shadowy corners of the room lurk at least a half-dozen more.

The room is silent until one of the girls flanking the throne yells out in a high-pitched voice,

"KNEEL BEFORE THE QUEEN!"

The woman smirks as she studies the Kommando emissaries. The audience is about to begin.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:31, Thu 13 Sept 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2863 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 13 Sep 2012
at 05:44
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg # 423):

Before shoving off, Dawid checked to see if there was any plan, or if they would just wing it. As well, he got as much detail as he could about the engagement so he'd be knowledgeable if asked. Dawid didn't bring a weapon other than a knife, but did take four flares for signalling in his pockets. He also brought a smoke grenade, and his personal radio.

"If necessary, the flares will be used to mark my position. A single flare marks my position. A double flare marks the Queen... if it seems all is lost. Kind of a "take us both to Hell" last-ditch maneuver."

Last, he got a bottle of vodka. If visiting royalty, one must bring tribute! As a matter of course he memorised what he could of the layout of the town and cathedral, looking for avenues of escape.

"Warren, will you come? It is up to you, my friend."

quote:
The room is silent until one of the girls flanking the throne yells out in a high-pitched voice,

"KNEEL BEFORE THE QUEEN!"

The woman smirks as she studies the Kommando emissaries. The audience is about to begin.


Seeing no need to antagonise this person, he bowed deeply with a serious (if blank) expression, then knelt on one knee.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:46, Thu 13 Sept 2012.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 541 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 13 Sep 2012
at 09:49
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Craig continued at his station behind the grenade launcher. He waved off the others as they made there way to an audience with who knows what. He knew fatigue would be a problem soon but the most pressing concern was staying warm while out on deck.

He suggested that someone should begin bringing hot drinks for the crew in the cold and maybe some sort of hot meal for breakfast.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1692 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 13 Sep 2012
at 17:29
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Stay with the boat." Bayer says quietly to Griet once he'd agreed that it wouldn't just be Dawid going ashore. It probably sounded more like a request than an order, but he felt better knowing she was safely aboard and keeping the tug ready. "I don't know how long we'll be. There's no plan this time, but if one of us doesn't come back and check in with you in two hours, it means our hosts are not very cooperative." Bayer then leaves his gear in the bridge and heads down to the main deck, confident Griet and the others staying behind would be ready to deal with anything that happens.

"Sgt. Tucker, with me." Bayer says, as he passes the NCO. Then satisfied that there was still a decent force on board, he instructs everyone about to disembark to leave their weapons behind. "And anything else of value that may be seized."

In town, Bayer hesitates at the command to kneel. Like Dawid, he didn't think there was need to antagonize the locals, but it still burned him up inside to comply with the authority that he neither recognized nor respected. Then motioning to the others to do as they've been ordered, Bayer rests on one knee - but keeps his head raised.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:30, Thu 13 Sept 2012.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 378 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Thu 13 Sep 2012
at 20:14
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay came back up top and caught up on recent events. He decided that he couldn't add anything to the meeting with this strange Queen, so stayed put on the boat. The guns seemed pretty well manned, so he took Craig's suggestion and headed to the galley.

Once there he quickly familiarised himself with the surrounding, locating a number of mugs and a big teapot. He put a couple of pans of water on the stove, and then started to look for some tea and coffee. Eventually he found a box of tea bags. The box was unmarked so he didn't know what variety they were, but they should do the trick. He also found some freeze-dried coffee in an old jar. Again, not ideal but would suffice.

Eventually the water boiled. He poured some into the teapot and threw in a number of teabags. After a second look he found another pot that would do for the coffee, and poured water in that as well before adding the coffee grounds.

With no sign of any sugar or milk, he located a tray and put the two pots on it, along with a collection of mugs. He then headed to the bridge, offering Griet the first cup, followed by the rest of the crew and the other Kommandos. Once all were served he headed back to the galley, and helped himself to a large mug of tea.

As the unsweetened tea warmed his innards, he looked around to see what he could do for breakfast.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 542 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 14 Sep 2012
at 00:34
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Mrityunjay Byanjankar (msg # 427):

"Dhanybhad"

Craig took the tea keeping one hand on the grenade launcher.

"If you come across anyone at a loose end get them scanning the surrounds with binoculars. While to others are away I would like to build up a idea of where the defences are placed."

He tried to keep it in the tone of a suggestion.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 449 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Fri 14 Sep 2012
at 03:31
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff nods to Dawid and slides down the ladder from the crow's nest.  Along the way he stops by Craig.  "Here's my rifle and pistol.  I swear to god I will kill this whole boat if either are damaged."  This is meant to sound like a joke, but you can't really be sure.  He also rummages through his kit and grabs a face mask, for intimidation purposes.**  The only weapon he needs is fear.

On the walk over Jeff scans rooftops, defensive positions, and anyone standing around.  He's scanning for fortifications, troop concentrations, and also ways he can turn the environment against these kids if it comes down to it.

Inside the thrown room, Jeff keeps behind and to the right of Bayer.  He complies with the others and drops to a knee, but intentionally lowers his head so the hood on his jacket goes over his head.  He does not make any effort to remove it.

**(For an idea of Jeff's mask and hood, watch this little clip from World in Conflict http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...&hd=1&t=6m5s  He's not wearing the mask but brought it with him.)

This message was last edited by the player at 03:32, Fri 14 Sept 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1366 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 14 Sep 2012
at 12:11
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
The prospect of wandering around a town of armed and out of control teenagers wasn't attractive to Jan so he stayed on the boat instead.  He kept his rifle nearby and used his binoculars to scan the ruined buildings, trying to gather as much Intel as possible.

When Jay came round with hot drinks Jan helped himself to a coffee and nodded thanks to the Gurkha before grimacing at his first sip.  He could instantly tell that it wasn't real coffee but at least it was warm, even if the taste was only just above disgusting!
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 667 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 14 Sep 2012
at 15:41
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet watched the shore party disappear and then returned to the bridge, "I want everyone on maximum alert and I want everyone to keep in cover as much as possible. If the shit hits the fan I want the enemy saturated with fire and we'll let off the Homer Piec to let us back off from the dock. Once we've butchered our opposition we'll work out a rescue mission."
Daniel Larue
 player, 160 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sat 15 Sep 2012
at 15:35
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
As the diplomatic mission prepares to go ashore, Danny goes below to assess Jay, Mariusz, and Connolly.  Once he's certain their medical status is stable or improving, he begins making the rounds of the other positions, keeping an eye out for temperature injuries and general fatigue.

As he steps out on the weather deck to check on the door gunners, the sight of Jay serving tea to Minh conjures the seed of a bad idea.  He approaches the Dishka position and leans on the rail, ostentatiously drinking his own steaming hot tea where the pilot boat's crew can see him.  "Hey, Minh," he murmurs, "You're Demo Girl.  If we could find a reason to go aboard, do you think you could figure out how big that bomb is and what they're using for a detonator?"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1344 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 15 Sep 2012
at 15:58
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
"Sgt. Tucker, with me." Bayer says, as he passes the NCO. Then satisfied that there was still a decent force on board, he instructs everyone about to disembark to leave their weapons behind. "And anything else of value that may be seized."

In town, Bayer hesitates at the command to kneel. Like Dawid, he didn't think there was need to antagonize the locals, but it still burned him up inside to comply with the authority that he neither recognized nor respected. Then motioning to the others to do as they've been ordered, Bayer rests on one knee - but keeps his head raised.

Tucker follows Konrad and the rest of the shore party but first, drops his gear off to Minh.  "Do me a favor and hold my stufff Minh.  If I don't come back, it's all yours.  I'll see you when I see you," he says to her and gives her a wink before sliding out a cigar and his lighter before heading off with the others to see the Queen of Plock.

When they do finally get to the throne room, Robert didn't plan on kneeling down in front of her but, he decided it would be in the best interest of negotiations to follow the others and not ruin the chance of getting past this place and or, getting Dawid's sister back.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1089 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 15 Sep 2012
at 16:52
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz submitted to Danny's examination and then returned to the forward position to man the mortar position's PK machinegun. He took care to make sure that his armour was secure and that his helmet was strapped on tightly. He laid his AK/BG-1 on the floor beside him and nestled the stock of the PK into his shoulder. He avoided aiming at the guards on the dock but he was ready to fire if ordered.
Minh Quyen
 player, 647 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 15 Sep 2012
at 18:21
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Tucker follows Konrad and the rest of the shore party but first, drops his gear off to Minh.  "Do me a favor and hold my stufff Minh.  If I don't come back, it's all yours.  I'll see you when I see you," he says to her and gives her a wink before sliding out a cigar and his lighter before heading off with the others to see the Queen of Plock.


Quyen was intending on going at first but let the opportunity pass as the tug got closer to the town. She certainly didn't like the idea of the captain going but figured if there was anything that could be done if something went bad it was going to be done by those still on the boat.

Quyen then met everyone on the deck and helped take the stuff from Tucker that was being left behind for safe keeping. "No problem. What do you mean not come back?" she says. Quyen then spots the cigar that he pulls out and eyes it pensively. "You going to light that here?" she asks. Then looking down at the webbing in her hands she says mostly to herself "Just how many more of those do you have in this?"

"Good luck." she says as they leave the boat.

Daniel Larue:
As he steps out on the weather deck to check on the door gunners, the sight of Jay serving tea to Minh conjures the seed of a bad idea.  He approaches the Dishka position and leans on the rail, ostentatiously drinking his own steaming hot tea where the pilot boat's crew can see him.  "Hey, Minh," he murmurs, "You're Demo Girl.  If we could find a reason to go aboard, do you think you could figure out how big that bomb is and what they're using for a detonator?"


Back up on the gun Quyen answers "I do demo yes." Her answer is confident even though anytime she talked of explosives she always remembered the time when she was almost vaporized disarming a few tons of explosives. She kept that story to herself with Larue though. Then looking towards the boat she says just as confidently "If I could get aboard. I can do that."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 18:22, Sat 15 Sept 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2619 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 15 Sep 2012
at 19:24
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

The Queen spoke, "You may rise."

She surveyed the emissaries for at least a full minute, her previoulsy haughty contenance softening somewhat.

"You are not Korsairs, are you?" It is more statement than question. After the party's assent, she continues.

"It seems that we have both been victims of a tragic misunderstanding. My boys saw you on the river and assumed you were pirates. For many months, the only river traffic we have encounter has been predatory in nature- raiders, kidnappers, extortionists, that sort of folk. Please forgive our part in this unfortunate first contact. I hope none of your people were hurt?"

Confirmation received, she continues,

"Good. I acknowledge your right to defend yourselves, but I suspect you may have used a little too much force when talk may have served us both much better. You fired first. Five of my brave boy soldiers were killed, and three more are likely going to join them very soon. Others who were wounded by you will likely recover, after a time. Their families must be compensated. I will take care of this, at my own expense. Their anger will cool after a time. My army needs bullets, though. I think it only fair that you repay my forbearance. I see your boat has a pair of Dishka heavy machineguns. We have a couple ourselves. If you give us ammunition for them, I will consider the debt repaid in full. Is that acceptable?

"I understand you may need a few moments to consider this. Before we speak of it again, I have a question for you. We've heard rumors of a new administration in Warwaw. You've come from that direction- what can you tell us about the situation upriver from here?"





On board the Krolowa, the tension eases somewhat. No attempt to rush the tug has been made, and the costumed watchers seem to relax a bit. Weapons are still pointed at the tug, but they aren't aimed. The tug's security crew remains vigilant, though. A few adults are seen in the town going about the business of daily survival. Aside from the army of bizzarely-clad kids, this town seems like many others you've seen in your journey across war-torn Poland.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:27, Sat 15 Sept 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1694 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 15 Sep 2012
at 20:17
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer held his tongue about the ammunition, leaving Dawid to fill in the silence with news of Warsaw until the lady in red was ready to discuss the matter again.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1345 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 16 Sep 2012
at 02:11
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Minh Quyen:
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Tucker follows Konrad and the rest of the shore party but first, drops his gear off to Minh.  "Do me a favor and hold my stufff Minh.  If I don't come back, it's all yours.  I'll see you when I see you," he says to her and gives her a wink before sliding out a cigar and his lighter before heading off with the others to see the Queen of Plock.


Quyen was intending on going at first but let the opportunity pass as the tug got closer to the town. She certainly didn't like the idea of the captain going but figured if there was anything that could be done if something went bad it was going to be done by those still on the boat.

Quyen then met everyone on the deck and helped take the stuff from Tucker that was being left behind for safe keeping. "No problem. What do you mean not come back?" she says. Quyen then spots the cigar that he pulls out and eyes it pensively. "You going to light that here?" she asks. Then looking down at the webbing in her hands she says mostly to herself "Just how many more of those do you have in this?"

"Good luck." she says as they leave the boat.

He smiles at the MP and points to his webbing, "I got one in there for you darlin'!  In case I don't need them any more, whatever I have left is in my ruck and my duffel, including some of the good Cubans.  Got some other nice toys in there including the Automag and my Colt Pythin.  I'll see you when I see you Minh."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2869 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 16 Sep 2012
at 06:55
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Cap'n Rae:
The Queen spoke, "You may rise."

She surveyed the emissaries for at least a full minute, her previoulsy haughty contenance softening somewhat.

"You are not Korsairs, are you?" It is more statement than question. After the party's assent, she continues.

"It seems that we have both been victims of a tragic misunderstanding. My boys saw you on the river and assumed you were pirates. For many months, the only river traffic we have encounter has been predatory in nature- raiders, kidnappers, extortionists, that sort of folk. Please forgive our part in this unfortunate first contact. I hope none of your people were hurt?"


"Let me reassure you, we are not Korsairs. You shouldn't have any problem with their kind, at least the band that was operating to the south. We wiped them out."

Cap'n Rae:
Confirmation received, she continues,

"Good. I acknowledge your right to defend yourselves, but I suspect you may have used a little too much force when talk may have served us both much better. You fired first. Five of my brave boy soldiers were killed, and three more are likely going to join them very soon. Others who were wounded by you will likely recover, after a time. Their families must be compensated. I will take care of this, at my own expense. Their anger will cool after a time. My army needs bullets, though. I think it only fair that you repay my forbearance. I see your boat has a pair of Dishka heavy machineguns. We have a couple ourselves. If you give us ammunition for them, I will consider the debt repaid in full. Is that acceptable?

"I understand you may need a few moments to consider this. Before we speak of it again, I have a question for you. We've heard rumors of a new administration in Warwaw. You've come from that direction- what can you tell us about the situation upriver from here?"


Dawid glanced at Konrad, saw he was letting him take the lead.

"There is no need to further consider your offer, it is a fair one. You speak the truth, violence is the way of the world and my comrades are very good at this business. Though I pray one day it should not be so! I wasn't there but I was told your boys fought like heroes.

"As for news to the south, the city rose up against the Baron. He likely escaped but his forces are largely dead and scattered and he is gone, likely never to return. As mentioned, his Pirate allies are dead. There is a new city government, they are still deciding what they want to be and if they are going to ally with anyone. The communists and their Soviet masters are still in Lodz, and Krakow is still a free city. The Free Polish government and Home Army is in

"Getting back to your people, we regret any injuries that were suffered. It was all a misunderstanding. We have an expert surgeon and experienced medical personnel on board the Queen (our tug, that is). I think we can save some of your boys' lives."

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1695 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 16 Sep 2012
at 15:52
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Actually no." Bayer clarifies. "We will not be handing over any ammunition as compensation." He then rises and says, "Paying a one sided reparation demonstrates an admission of guilt. As unfortunate as what happened last night is, my party is not responsible nor do we have any debt to repay."

Bayer then says, "I will however offer you the opportunity for fair trade for the ammunition in order for both sides to benefit. Three hundred and seventy rounds of the ammunition you need for one day's food for eighteen and warm clothing for two. That is a fair trade for the value of what I offer."

Konrad then concludes, "Our doctor will still be free to provide professional advice however."

OOC - The lady in red wasn't looking for an answer to this right away.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:57, Sun 16 Sept 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2870 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 16 Sep 2012
at 17:30
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 440):

Dawid showed agreement. "This is my leader, I willingly defer to his judgement."


OOC: Hey, I see your point, I was just keeping my eye on the prize. If a couple hundred rounds will make the problem go away I was cool with that, if we can get some hot food and a cot then all the better!
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1346 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 16 Sep 2012
at 22:39
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 440):

Dawid showed agreement. "This is my leader, I willingly defer to his judgement."

Robert let's Konrad do all of the negotiating and leans in closer to Dawid and whispers, You going to ask about your sister?"

OOC: I tried doing this in small font but for some reason, it's not working and hasn't been for me.  I'm guessing I'm an idiot or something close to that.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2620 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 16 Sep 2012
at 22:55
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

The Queen looks quite pleased during Dawid's reply. The almost serene expression of contented magnanimity quickly leaves her lovely face to be replaced by one of extreme displeasure- anger even. The transformation is startling. Despite her obvious displeasure, her tone is cool and measured.

"One sided reparations? Fair trade? You approach my town in the dark and open fire. My boys approach to investigate and find a very soggy group of your people in need of rescue. Believing them to be pirates- and your people did not do much to disprove this assumption- my boys take them into custody and render aide. Your people are not abused in any way. While under transport here for questioning, your people assault and maim one of my boys and steal one of our boats, while another group of your people assaults my boys' campsite, killing and wounding a half-a-dozen at least. My boys did nothing but defend their home. How many killed and wounded did you suffer at our hands tonight? And you presume to lecture me? Your arrogance is simply stunning."

As if sensing their Queen's displeasure, her young female bodyguards tense up. They look upon the emissaries with unconcealed disdain, raising their weapons slightly so that they are pointed in Konrad and company's general direction. In a half-second, a half-dozen (at least) kids could unleash a flurry of fire on the unarmed ambassadors from several directions.

"I have tried to be just and fair. You are clearly not interested in reciprocating. If you wish to be unreasonable, then my demands will become moreso- quid pro quo. The blood-price has just gone up. 750 rounds of heavy machinegun ammunition. If you don't have it, you may make up the balance in small arms rounds. If the idea of 'reparations' is distasteful to you, consider it payment for passage of the river here, if you prefer. You will receive no food and clothing from us. Your surgeon will assist our doctor with the wounded until they are stable- you will provide the necessary medical supplies. These are my conditions. Comply, and you will be on your way shortly. Refuse and your boat will be impounded immediately. You and your crew will be detained, disarmed, and banished from here forthwith."

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:47, Sun 16 Sept 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1696 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 17 Sep 2012
at 01:42
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer holds his breath for a moment before speaking, "We didn't approach your town. We were traveling on the Vistula River, which no town has legitimate territorial claim to or the right to interfere with its freedom of use."

"We taught the river corsairs that have been troubling you that lesson already... and you're welcome for that by the way. No charge of course."


Bayer then says softly, "The terms are fair and remain the same. If you do some traveling, like I have, you will realize that communities can only flourish through mutual cooperation and beneficial trade - not by counting the dead like the score of a football match and making demands."

Bayer then adds, remembering what Walter said of Plock, "I have no conflict with you ma'am or your spirited community. I honorably serve the Free Council of Warsaw and I have sworn an oath to rid this land of the poisonous chemical gas that the Black Baron had amassed. I implore you to respect the severity of my mission and allow me free passage to take it to the sea, to understand that tonight was tragic misunderstanding by both parties, and agree that my terms are beneficial to your people."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:53, Mon 17 Sept 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2871 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 17 Sep 2012
at 03:23
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg # 442):

Trying to keep his feelings hidden from the gunmen and their leader, Dawid shook his head at Tucker's question.

When the Queen mentioned medical care and surgery, he met Tuck's eyes meaningfully. "I was going to offer help with that, considering my medical knowledge."

He kept cool when the kids tensed up. Maybe they would hesitate to fire with their Queen in such close proximity. Either way, God would protect and guide them.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 452 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Mon 17 Sep 2012
at 05:07
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff was beginning to regret coming on the trip.  He had no intention of getting gunned down by preteen girls after kneeling before some false regent. Tactically the situation was hopeless so he didn't spend much time dwelling.  He did however long for the old days when the CIA could spare a jet at any moment to bring awe to some humble village.

In a thick and convincing Russian-English accent, he adds "I may offer you a better service then ammo.  If we are given the food and shelter we ask, I and some of my colleagues may show your troops to hide from the 'bad guys'.  Will give you more, what is saying, 'bang for your buck' Da?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2872 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 18 Sep 2012
at 05:32
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 444):

Remembering that he had a radio, Dawid started feeling around in his pockets. He spoke in Polish.

"Very truly, we all weep for the youth that were killed, that were injured. It is a terrible thing indeed when our children are given rifles and pay the price for our mistakes. The Beast is still hungry, despite consuming most of the Polish people, when we feed it our children, the future dies."

Finding the radio, he kept his hand in that pocket and pressed the PTT (Push To Talk) key so that hopefully someone like Griet was monitoring communications on the open channel. Raising his voice, he brought out his other hand, holding the bottle of vodka. This object would perhaps focus her attention on that hand, away from his other holding the hidden radio that was transmitting to the tug.

"As for your town and its defenses, we know much about what you can do. I am an expert artillerist, let me assure you that should any threat begin to be acted upon, this church will be completely destroyed in a matter of seconds. Three explosive rounds will reduce what is left to rubble, two white phosphor will then set it ablaze. We will all die here. So let us forget talk about reparations and payment, the taking of our vessel, our banishment, and so on.

"Please! Accept this gift. We have so little, but we are willing to share. We will not debate who is right and wrong here, Mistakes were made and we both responded as we thought we must. Escalation will get neither of us what we want, it will only feed the Beast. So let us set a new course, where we are friends. We will give you some ammunition and help with the wounded, all we ask in return is your hospitality, as Queen. Let us be friends, not enemies."


He hoped his impromptu fire order would be carried out if need be, and hoped more fervrently it wouldn't need to be.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:28, Wed 19 Sept 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1369 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 18 Sep 2012
at 22:22
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan ensured that everyone followed Griet's instructions on the boat and kept alert.  In particular he had a task for Jay who seemed to unassigned at present.

"Jay," he called to the Gurkha.  "I need you to keep watching the riverside of the boat, just in case someone attempts to swim over to us."

He then returned to observing the town, trying to pick out other important locations.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 543 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 19 Sep 2012
at 00:24
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Craig continued to man the grenade launcher, he had thought of trying to engage the boys on the dock in conversation then thought better of it. Instead he tried to make out any defensive positions close to the dock that could cause a problem if the shit went south.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 382 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Wed 19 Sep 2012
at 15:27
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Jan Cerny (msg # 448):

Jay nodded, and moved to a suitable spot on the boat where he had a good view of the river and the far bank. He had no binoculars, but kept scanning up and down.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 668 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 19 Sep 2012
at 16:31
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet monitored the radio channel and frowned at Dawid's seeming request. She hit the intercom and said, "Doctor Soleblume to the Bridge ASAP."

She waited for the Major to appear and said, "Things don't seem to be going well at the Church, I'd like you to plot a fire mission in readiness for action. We will make no move to aim at the church until we have no other option. At that point I will order fire at the guards in front of us and pull out into the current. Once we've cleared the banks we'll start to fire the mortar. Hopefully it won't come to that but I want to be ready."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2621 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 20 Sep 2012
at 00:59
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer then adds, remembering what Walter said of Plock, "I have no conflict with you ma'am or your spirited community. I honorably serve the Free Council of Warsaw and I have sworn an oath to rid this land of the poisonous chemical gas that the Black Baron had amassed. I implore you to respect the severity of my mission and allow me free passage to take it to the sea, to understand that tonight was tragic misunderstanding by both parties, and agree that my terms are beneficial to your people."


The Queen is clearly trying hard to control her temper. Her body tenses with Dawid's follow-up comment about arming children- she clearly wants to respond harshly to the damning implication. Her expression, however, remains one of barely concealed alarm after Konrad's mention of gas shells. Based on her reaction, it stands to reason that she already knew that the Baron had access to such weapons.

"You have chemical weapons on board?"

Whether Konrad intended the bluff or not, it has clearly worked. The Queen seems terrified of the potential for mass destruction contained within the phantom gas shells [OOC: I thought the shells were destroyed or discarded or left behind in G-K]. When Dawid adds his two cents, the Queen's guards lift their rifles and take deliberate aim at the envoys. Apparently, they interpret Dawid reaching into his vest as a very clear threat. The Queen holds up a hand to stay their fire and addresses the party.

"And here I thought that you were the reasonable one. You all are quite clearly insane. You will depart at once. I want nothing more to do with you madmen. You have thirty minutes, starting now, or I will order your immediate and complete destruction. Be very careful- any action my boys interpret as hostile will be met with extreme force. They may be childred but they will fight like lions to defend this place. Do not test me; you have tried my patience enough this day. Be gone!"

It is clear that she means what she says. You have outstayed your welcome. Konrad and Dawid's attempts at diplomacy have failed. It is plainly time to leave Plock before blood is shed.




On board the tug, the tension continues. The boys are apparently unaware of the escalating sitution in the cathedral atop the hill. They are, however, watchful, and it is likely that they will respond to any action perceived as threating with a potentialy deadly volley of gunfire.

Out from behind the cordon of armed boys surrounding the dock steps two adult males, both wearing military style camouflage "uniforms". Like most soldiers nowadays, they're both a little hard to place. They approach the tug, unhindered, and one of them, a fair-haired fellow sporting a green beret, asks in lightly accented English,

"You wouldn't happen to be headed back to NATO lines now, would you?"


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:32, Thu 20 Sept 2012.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1347 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 20 Sep 2012
at 01:37
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Tucker merely bows to the Queen when they're dismissed and says, "Enjoy the rest of the day M'Lady."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1697 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 20 Sep 2012
at 01:44
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer nods once slowly to the Queen's question, letting his body language portray a sense of seriousness regarding the chemical weapons before answering just loud enough for her to hear, "Yes."

Bayer was disappointed that he failed to secure some fresh food and warm clothing for Minh, but satisfied that the group wasn't pressured into the Queen's terms of surrender - which is what he took them as. That, and not getting himself and his companions shot by a gang of juvenile fanatics for speaking out of line was a natural relief as well.

Then when the Queen orders the group out, Bayer motions for the group to follow close behind. He says nothing more to the woman, less he inadvertently provokes her any more than he already has. "Stay close. Keep your hands visible." he says quietly as they make their way back to the boat.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:52, Sat 22 Sept 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2873 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 20 Sep 2012
at 01:46
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Cap'n Rae:
"You have chemical weapons on board?"

Whether Konrad intended the bluff or not, it has clearly worked. The Queen seems terrified of the potential for mass destruction contained within the phantom gas shells [OOC: I thought the shells were destroyed or discarded or left behind in G-K]. When Dawid adds his two cents, the Queen's guards lift their rifles and take deliberate aim at the envoys. Apparently, they interpret Dawid reaching into his vest as a very clear threat. The Queen holds up a hand to stay their fire and addresses the party.

"And here I thought that you were the reasonable one. You all are quite clearly insane. You will depart at once. I want nothing more to do with you madmen. You have thirty minutes, starting now, or I will order your immediate and complete destruction. Be very careful- any action my boys interpret as hostile will be met with extreme force. They may be childred but they will fight like lions to defend this place. Do not test me; you have tried my patience enough this day. Be gone!"

It is clear that she means what she says. You have outstayed your welcome. Konrad and Dawid's attempts at diplomacy have failed. It is plainly time to leave Plock before blood is shed.


Dawid threw himself down at the foot of the throne, grovelling.

"Please! I beg forgiveness! I have been a remorseless killer for so long, I have forgotten what it is like to fight for something, for someone. Send these fools away if you must but let me stay. Perhaps I can persuade our Doctor to join me. We can help care for your poor, wounded boys! I beg you, do not send me away!"


OOC: I'm pretty sure we don't have the shells, nor a way to deliver them. We DID capture a D-30 howitzer, I'da loved to mount that sucker on the Queen, no one seemed interested!
Craig Sutherland
 player, 544 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 20 Sep 2012
at 10:01
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Cap'n Rae:
Out from behind the cordon of armed boys surrounding the dock steps two adult males, both wearing military style camouflage "uniforms". Like most soldiers nowadays, they're both a little hard to place. They approach the tug, unhindered, and one of them, a fair-haired fellow sporting a green beret, asks in lightly accented English,

"You wouldn't happen to be headed back to NATO lines now, would you?"


Craig did'nt want to cause a scene and get the lads on the dock all worked up so he does not swing the grenade launcher in the direction of the two new comers.

"That is far enough. Who are you and what do you want?"
Minh Quyen
 player, 648 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 22 Sep 2012
at 23:44
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Quyen is smoking up on the deck near the DSHK. She thought about raiding Tucker's gear for one of his better cigars but thought it would be better to wait until he returned... and had a chance to defend his stash. She watches the two men approach with indifference and takes a long draw on the cigarrete before leaning her head towards the window of the bridge and saying "Griet... company."

Quyen then positions herself closer to the gun but keeps her hands free as long as the two visitors appear unthreatening.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 669 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 23 Sep 2012
at 08:28
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
As Griet waited for Anneka to plot a fire mission she looked out at the two men on the dock.

"This is the Vistula Queen and what do you want? You'll keep your distance please, excuse my lack of hospitality but we're in a pretty dicey situation at the moment and we've already been threatened with suicide bombers. If you get any closer before we establish your credentials, you will be fired upon."

Griet knew this wasn't the way to put people at their ease, but too much was going on, and it was very convenient that potentially "friendly" adults appeared in the middle of a delusional maniac's camp just as things were deteriorating. It had "trap" written all over it."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2623 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 23 Sep 2012
at 21:28
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Please! I beg forgiveness! I have been a remorseless killer for so long, I have forgotten what it is like to fight for something, for someone. Send these fools away if you must but let me stay. Perhaps I can persuade our Doctor to join me. We can help care for your poor, wounded boys! I beg you, do not send me away!"


The Queen is taken aback by Dawid's histrionics. Her bodyguards come within a hair's breadth of blowing him away.

"If he does not leave this room in the next five seconds, kill him." the Queen instructs her bodyguards. She wants nothing more to do with the envoys or their tug.

Konrad and his team depart the cathedral/throne room, and descend the hill, shadowed by a squad of armed boys. When they arrive at the tug, they find two strangers there, treating with the tug crew. One of the older boys who had accompanied the envoys yells at the tug,

"You have ten minutes to leave, starting now!"

He then addresses the two dozen or so dock guards- he doesn't care whether you hear him or not, "If they're not gone in ten minutes, we're to kill them all."

A woman wades through the kids' perimeter and approaches the tug, standing next to the Dutchman and his taciturn comrade. The boys do not attempt to stop her. In fact, they look at her with a sort of reverence. Seeing Dawid taking up his position at the Vasilek abaft the bow, the woman calls out,

"Doody! It is you!"

Next Moves?
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1349 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 23 Sep 2012
at 21:36
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Cap'n Rae:
A woman wades through the kids' perimeter and approaches the tug, standing next to the Dutchman and his taciturn comrade. The boys do not attempt to stop her. In fact, they look at her with a sort of reverence. Seeing Dawid taking up his position at the Vasilek abaft the bow, the woman calls out,

"Doody! It is you!"

Next Moves?

Tucker makes sure that he doesn't make any threatening moves and lights his cigar once he is outside of the Queen's dwelling before he does so.

When he gets back to the tug and hears the woman call out to Dawid he turns with a smile, "Doody..."  Robert looks at the woman and checks out her features to see what she looks like and how attractive/unattractive she is.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2875 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 24 Sep 2012
at 05:11
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Cap'n Rae:
Konrad and his team depart the cathedral/throne room, and descend the hill, shadowed by a squad of armed boys. When they arrive at the tug, they find two strangers there, treating with the tug crew. One of the older boys who had accompanied the envoys yells at the tug,

"You have ten minutes to leave, starting now!"

He then addresses the two dozen or so dock guards- he doesn't care whether you hear him or not, "If they're not gone in ten minutes, we're to kill them all."


After leaving the church, Dawid was quiet. He was unsure as to what happened there, and why. Rather, he kind of understood the crazy bitch's actions, nothing unusual there, but otherwise...

He was making sure the Vasilek was ready for action, mulling his next moves. Levelling the church seemed like an attractive option, he could give a rat's ass for that megalomaniac or her reasons for doing what she was doing. Giving children guns, turning them into brainwashed killers, sending them to die and then weeping hypocritical tears... Buying his sister like she was a piece of meat, a slave, even worse paying for her by selling poison gas to a brutal tyrant... Poland had enough of rulers like the Queen, the Black Baron, the Hetman, time to take them out of the equation, let the people get on with their lives.

No truce with Kings.

Efficiently and with great sense of purpose, he loaded up 3x 82mm HE, 2x 82mm WP into the Vasilek's 5-shot magazine. The first three shots would rubble the church, the next two would set it on fire. Provide a nice funeral pyre for the Queen and her court. The poor, wounded, traumatised children of her army, they'd have to get along without her.

Satisfied, he got ready to aim at the structure. He waited for the tug to start getting underway, no need to stick around for the survivors to try and take their vengeance... although he suspected that with their crazy "mother" gone all organisation would cease.

quote:
A woman wades through the kids' perimeter and approaches the tug, standing next to the Dutchman and his taciturn comrade. The boys do not attempt to stop her. In fact, they look at her with a sort of reverence. Seeing Dawid taking up his position at the Vasilek abaft the bow, the woman calls out,

"Doody! It is you!"


"Doody? I haven't hear that for a while! Urzula, is that you?"
Gunther Scholz
 player, 1 post
 East German
 Tanker
Mon 24 Sep 2012
at 08:32
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg # 461):

One of the figures on the dock, the one clad British fatigues, raised his empty hands when they were 'greeted' by the Polish woman from aboard the Queen. About to speak, the man was distracted by Dawid on the Vasilek.

"Hey" he called to the mortar gunner. "Hey, Polak" he shouted, grinning, obviously impressed with the Polish man's skill with his weapon. "Need some help with that thing?" he called out in Polish heavily accented with German.
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1370 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 24 Sep 2012
at 22:56
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Seeing Dawid occupied with what might be his sister, Jan tried to get an answer out of the two men on the dock where Craig had failed, noting that they appeared to be another pair of stragglers trying to get to somewhere better than where they currently were.

"Hey, you two," he called in strangely accented English.  "My friend here asked you who you are.  We are not staying long here so tell us quickly if you are looking to come with us.  There are many strange people on this river but this town of Plock is really very screwed up!  So give us name, rank and serial number.  In fact forget that.  Give us name, nationality and why the hell we should let you come with us and eat our food?"

While they answered Jan, studied the pair of them, noting whether they were armed and what condition any weapons and kit was in.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1350 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 24 Sep 2012
at 23:05
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Not being able to help himself once back on the tug, Robert goes to get his gear on and re-armed, he continues to smoke on his cigar and comes up next to Dawid, "Is that you're sister Doody?"
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 3 posts
 Dutch
 Marine Commando
Tue 25 Sep 2012
at 03:52
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan Cerny:
"Hey, you two," he called in strangely accented English.  "My friend here asked you who you are.  We are not staying long here so tell us quickly if you are looking to come with us.  There are many strange people on this river but this town of Plock is really very screwed up!  So give us name, rank and serial number.  In fact forget that.  Give us name, nationality and why the hell we should let you come with us and eat our food?"


"Sorry, with all of you speaking at nearly the same time, it is diffucult to follow.  I am Thijs -- Thijs van Lincklaen, Nederland Marines.  This," he indicated the other man, "is Gunther.  As I said before, we were wondering if you were heading for NATO lines.  If so, we would appreciate a lift, and are willing to work for it.  I expect a pair more guns might come in useful and may make feeding us worth the price."  He gestured with an upturned palm at Craig, "Meneer Sutherland can tell you that is the case, at least as far as I am concerned."  He looked back at the Brit and addressed him.  "Surprised to see me --  here, Sir?"

Jan Cerny:
While they answered Jan, studied the pair of them, noting whether they were armed and what condition any weapons and kit was in.


van Lincklaen is wearing camouflage-pattern fatigues with combat webbing over the hooded field jacket.  A pistol is holstered at his side, and he carries what looks like an enlarged M16 with a bipod and a squarish handle below the square forward handguard.  Below the receiver, where a STANAG would normally be, a drum magazine curls to the right side.  Those familiar with the AR-15 family recognize the weapon as a Colt Model 750/Diemaco C7A1 LSW automatic rifle.  His gear and clothing are well-worn, but neat and obviously well cared-for.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:15, Mon 15 Oct 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2879 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 25 Sep 2012
at 05:19
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Not being able to help himself once back on the tug, Robert goes to get his gear on and re-armed, he continues to smoke on his cigar and comes up next to Dawid, "Is that you're sister Doody?"


"Could be..." He looked at Tuck, "but don't let that name spread. I'll never live it down. If it is her, I say just grab her if possible and then to Hell with the Queen. I mean, the crazy one that lives here."
Craig Sutherland
 player, 545 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 25 Sep 2012
at 05:45
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Thijs van Lincklaen:
"Sorry, with all of you speaking at nearly the same time, it is diffucult to follow.  I am Thijs -- Thijs van Lincklaen, Nederland Marines.  This," he indicated the other man, "is Gunther.  As I said before, we were wondering if you were heading for NATO lines.  If so, we would appreciate a lift, and are willing to work for it.  I expect a pair more guns might come in useful and may make feeding us worth the price."  He gestured with an upturned palm at Craig, "Meneer Sutherland can tell you that is the case, at least as far as I am concerned."  He looked back at the Brit and addressed him.  "Surprised to see me --  here, Sir?"


Surprised to be hailed from the dock, it took Craig several seconds to realise he had been addressed. He had begun to watch the boys on the dock again after Jan had taken the introductions over.

On hearing his name he snapped back to the new comers and raise a hand to shield his eyes from the glare.

"van Lincklaen, is that you ? Never expected to see a familiar face in these parts."

He turned to Jan:

"The Dutch guy is legit, I trained with him."

He turns back to the dock:

"Let us get a few things sorted and we can get you a meeting with our CO."

This message was last edited by the player at 07:23, Tue 25 Sept 2012.

Gunther Scholz
 player, 4 posts
 East German
 Tanker
Tue 25 Sep 2012
at 19:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Jan Cerny (msg # 463):

"My name is Gunther Scholz" Gunther said in English better than his Polish but still with a thick German accent. "I don't eat much, I'm just as unqualified as anyone you have on board there, and I figure that after the Soviets and the NATO soldiers have taken their turns mistreating me in turn, I figure the damn Poles couldn't be any worse."

Gunther Scholz wore ill-fitting British Army BDUs that weren't clean when they were given to him quite some time ago, had no equipment, and no weapons, save self-deprecating humor to speak of.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1351 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 25 Sep 2012
at 22:45
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Not being able to help himself once back on the tug, Robert goes to get his gear on and re-armed, he continues to smoke on his cigar and comes up next to Dawid, "Is that you're sister Doody?"


"Could be..." He looked at Tuck, "but don't let that name spread. I'll never live it down. If it is her, I say just grab her if possible and then to Hell with the Queen. I mean, the crazy one that lives here."

Tucker grins widely again when Dawid has to ask him for discretion about his nick name from his supposed sister sighting.  "Don't worry Doody.  I'll try to keep it as discreet as possible.

I know it may be your sister Dawid but, we might get fuckin' blasted if we just take her!  Who knows if they don't blast us for taking this Licken guy and the Dutchman, if we take them.  Your sister is a doctor right?  What makes you think the fucking Queen is just going to let her only doctor leave here without something being said or done?  I'm not saying we shouldn't do it but, we got to be careful right here or these fuckin' kids might light us the fuck up because they're so gung-ho for their queen and the fact we killed a couple of their kiddie commandos.

I know we've had our differences dude but, you need to trust Konrad on this one Dawid."

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2885 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 26 Sep 2012
at 01:09
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg # 469):

Dawid pointed out, "I honestly don't know what Konrad's plan is, I'm completely in the dark about what he has in mind. Please go tell him now that if she's here this may be the best opportunity we're going to get. Konrad is no admirer of that crazy Queen, and I don't think her gunners are as much of a threat as they think they are."

He examined the shore defences critically, looking for direct-fire weapons. Even if the river was ranged-in for mortars, it would take a direct hit to damage the tug significantly as even near misses would expend their shrapnel and shockwave underwater. Once they were underway it would be even harder to damage them. Dawid didn't think she had masses of artillery, as she wouldn't have traded away her chemical rounds to buy his sister.

OOC: FYI, Rae hasn't confirmed the woman's identity. I'm just assuming it's Urzula from context. As well, it's important to determine what actual direct fire weapons can be brought to bear.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2887 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 26 Sep 2012
at 05:11
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"I guess I'll do it myself."

He got on the intercom to the bridge.

"Griet, Konrad, whoever's there... Urzula's on the wharf right now. This may be the best chance to get her and go, and damn the consequences. So we must decide, and decide now, and if the answer is yes then I'll get Urzula, we put suppressive fire while I'll level the church as we get underway."

Dawid called up, "Urzula, let's talk. Come on down to the tug, we're not leaving for a few minutes, yet."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1698 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 26 Sep 2012
at 12:03
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer is only back aboard the tug for a moment before getting called back down to the deck. He first sizes up the two NATO soldiers, then nods at Craig's vetting and says, almost offhandedly to him and Jan, "Bring dem aboard." Most of his attention however is directed towards their real reason for being in Plock in the first place.

Siding up next to Dawid at the mortar, he says quietly, "Not good. There are almost thirty of them... she could get hit in the crossfire. It is not the time to start shooting."

"See if you can get her closer to talk. Find out where she lives." he says, following him to the wharf side of the tug. He emphasises the last question with the hope that Dawid would understand what he was geting at and could be subtle about it.

If the militia are uncooperative and unwilling to let them talk, Bayer will lead Dawid back, "Not now. We will come back for her. I promise." Otherwise he will take it step by step and gauge the reaction of the militia.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:02, Wed 26 Sept 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1374 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 26 Sep 2012
at 14:15
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer is only back aboard the tug for a moment before getting called back down to the deck. He first sizes up the two NATO soldiers, then nods at Craig's vetting and says, almost offhandedly to him and Jan, "Bring dem aboard."

Jan nodded in understanding at the instruction and quickly made his way down to the gangplank, hopefully leading Craig.  He waved the two NATO soldiers (Thijs and Gunther) over to him.  "Capitaine Bayer says you may come aboard," he informed them in his accented English.

As the two new arrivals started to climb onto the Queen, Jan then followed up with a couple of further questions.  "Tell me how you come to be in this part of Poland please?  If you have been serving with the Baron's Black Guard then it is better to tell us of this now.  It will avoid any misunderstandings later.  Or if you have not been in service with the Baron then how do you come to be here in this part of Poland?"

Once they were on the deck Jan offered his hand in greeting.  "I am Jan and I am one of Capitaine Bayer's NCOs.  The others are Dawid and Tuck", he pointed them out as he spoke.  "We are headed down-river towards the coast. What do you know of other NATO or Pact units in this area or down-river?  We have almost no Intel about what is down-river."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1355 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 26 Sep 2012
at 15:07
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer is only back aboard the tug for a moment before getting called back down to the deck. He first sizes up the two NATO soldiers, then nods at Craig's vetting and says, almost offhandedly to him and Jan, "Bring dem aboard." Most of his attention however is directed towards their real reason for being in Plock in the first place.

Siding up next to Dawid at the mortar, he says quietly, "Not good. There are almost thirty of them... she could get hit in the crossfire. It is not the time to start shooting."

"See if you can get her closer to talk. Find out where she lives." he says, following him to the wharf side of the tug. He emphasises the last question with the hope that Dawid would understand what he was geting at and could be subtle about it.

Tuck looks over to Bayer, "Permission to go with him sir?"  Tuck leaves his M-16 combo next to Dawid's position and just brings his holstered Browning HP in his MOLLE vest which he's better suited for use at close range and he's much more comfortable with.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1699 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 26 Sep 2012
at 15:37
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer doesn't like risking another man getting gunned down or spooking the boys by putting his Kommandos back ashore, but in the end, he nods to Tucker. "We are gone in two minutes." he warns the both of them.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:37, Wed 26 Sept 2012.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1356 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 26 Sep 2012
at 15:51
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer doesn't like risking another man getting gunned down or spooking the boys by putting his Kommandos back ashore, but in the end, he nods to Tucker. "We are gone in two minutes." he warns the both of them.

"Roger that," Franks says and walks off with Dawid to meet his sister.
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 11 posts
 Dutch
 Marine Commando
Wed 26 Sep 2012
at 16:51
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan Cerny:
He waved the two NATO soldiers (Thijs and Gunther) over to him.  "Capitaine Bayer says you may come aboard," he informed them in his accented English.

As the two new arrivals started to climb onto the Queen, Jan then followed up with a couple of further questions.  "Tell me how you come to be in this part of Poland please?  If you have been serving with the Baron's Black Guard then it is better to tell us of this now.  It will avoid any misunderstandings later.  Or if you have not been in service with the Baron then how do you come to be here in this part of Poland?"


Thijs replied, "I have journeyed upriver from Gdansk to help guide stragglers to the port for evacuation.  I was actually on my way to Warsaw, but stopped here in Plock when I realized it would be too risky to continue further into the Baron's domain.  I have spent the past few weeks along with Gunther here doing our best to train these children in the use of firearms.  As though we had a choice..."  He trailed off, prefering to keep his opinion of the Queen to himself while within earshot of the children on the dock.

Jan Cerny:
Once they were on the deck Jan offered his hand in greeting.  "I am Jan and I am one of Capitaine Bayer's NCOs.  The others are Dawid and Tuck", he pointed them out as he spoke.  "We are headed down-river towards the coast. What do you know of other NATO or Pact units in this area or down-river?  We have almost no Intel about what is down-river."

Thijs shook the proffered hand.  "I am pleased to meet you.  I am Sergeant-Majoor van Lincklaen, but you may call me Thijs.  I have that information," he continued, "but it might be wise to leave first."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:55, Wed 26 Sept 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1377 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 26 Sep 2012
at 17:07
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Thijs van Lincklaen:
Thijs shook the proffered hand.  "I am pleased to meet you.  I am Sergeant-Majoor van Lincklaen, but you may call me Thijs.  I have that information," he continued, "but it might be wise to leave first."

"Yes, I agree," replied Jan.  "Once we are back on the river you must tell us what you know.  Konrad, ah Capitaine Bayer, and Griet as well as others will want to hear what you know.  Griet is the Captain of this boat.  On board she is in charge."
Gunther Scholz
 player, 6 posts
 East German
 Tanker
Wed 26 Sep 2012
at 20:06
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Jan Cerny (msg # 478):

Gunther Scholz listened to the exchange between Thijs and Jan, nodding in agreement with Thijs when he could understand him. His English was much better than Gunther's, so he allowed him to do the talking for the both of them.

When the crew of the seemed slightly less inclined to shoot him, Scholz made his way over to Dawid's 82mm gun position.

"Was watching you work, you know" Gunther commented in barely understandable Polish. "Not bad for a Polak" he continued, smiling and shaking the man's hand. "When I 'worked' for the East Germans Army I was a gunner on a T-72. Best shot in the division, you know."

The small talk continued as Gunther admired the Polish man's Vasilek. He continued to smile and share, trying to find a kindred spirit in someone learned in the art of making things explode spectacularly.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2891 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 26 Sep 2012
at 20:53
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 475):

Visibly seething, Dawid's eyes blazed with anger at Bayer.

"I will go. And return soon. Thank you for your permission. Sir. Come on then, Sergeant Tucker, we don't want to miss our ride out of here, on to new adventures."

Leaving his GPMG behind but putting his Stechkin in its holster, he strode off the tug to the wharf, holding himself in stiff control. As he walked his vision was centred on his sister.

Dawid did glance in passing at the adults who were being welcomed aboard, dismissing them as being yet more foreign soldier in his single-minded pursuit of his goal. What had any damn foreigners ever done for Poland, aside from massacre her people, devastate the land, steal what little remained and then set themselves up as brutal warlords? NATO, Soviets, even the French, they were all the same. Fuck them all, they could go to Hell for all he cared.

Reaching into his pocket as he walked he took out his rosary, blessed by Pope Jan Paweł II himself. Kissing the wooden beads he hung it around his neck and made the sign of the cross. Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Screw Konrad, Tucker, all of them. He was going to fucking grab Urzula and go, fight his way out of town on foot if he needed to. Nothing and no one this side of Hell was going to stop him.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:54, Wed 26 Sept 2012.

Daniel Larue
 player, 165 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Thu 27 Sep 2012
at 01:19
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Danny, checking over the railing for improbable assault swimmers, isn't close enough to hear much of the conversation, but the set of Dawid's jaw and his parting salvo to Bayer is enough.  Whoa, shit.  He glances around and falls into step at Dawid's other shoulder.  "Dave," he says hurriedly, "man, I know where your head is, but if you start this fight, she's right in the crossfire."  He jerks his chin toward the bomb-laden pilot boat for emphasis.  "Get some intel, we'll come back with a plan and extract her.  Dude, I've got your back, but I'm begging you, don't pull steel right now.  Ain't no one gonna win."

Running out of deck, Danny halts at the head of the gangplank as Dawid and Tuck continue onward.  He sets himself behind the scant knee-height cover of a bollard and begins assessing the pack of teenage malcontents on the dock, trying to determine which one he'll have to drop first if shots are fired.

OOC: Not readying a weapon. Yet.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:30, Thu 27 Sept 2012.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 387 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Thu 27 Sep 2012
at 03:11
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jay, blissfully unaware of the potential powderkeg that is Dawid, maintained his watch on the riverside of the tug. He felt the engines start up, and knew that they would shortly be departing this strange place. Glad to be off, he kept his weapon led low, and continued to scan the dark ware and the bank beyond.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 548 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 27 Sep 2012
at 06:57
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Craig gives a slight wave as Gunther and Thijs come on board.

" I'd shake you hand but I think the shit is about to hit a fan. If you have weapons I would ready them, if you don't find some cover."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1358 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 27 Sep 2012
at 12:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Daniel Larue:
Danny, checking over the railing for improbable assault swimmers, isn't close enough to hear much of the conversation, but the set of Dawid's jaw and his parting salvo to Bayer is enough.  Whoa, shit.  He glances around and falls into step at Dawid's other shoulder.  "Dave," he says hurriedly, "man, I know where your head is, but if you start this fight, she's right in the crossfire."  He jerks his chin toward the bomb-laden pilot boat for emphasis.  "Get some intel, we'll come back with a plan and extract her.  Dude, I've got your back, but I'm begging you, don't pull steel right now.  Ain't no one gonna win."

Running out of deck, Danny halts at the head of the gangplank as Dawid and Tuck continue onward.  He sets himself behind the scant knee-height cover of a bollard and begins assessing the pack of teenage malcontents on the dock, trying to determine which one he'll have to drop first if shots are fired.

OOC: Not readying a weapon. Yet.

Tucker looks at Daniel  and tells him, "I got him Daniel."

This message was last updated by the player at 12:19, Thu 27 Sept 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2893 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 28 Sep 2012
at 00:36
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Daniel Larue (msg # 481):

Pausing at Daniel's words, Dawid snorted. "No one's winning here, anyways. This is Poland. I advise you to lower your expectations."


OOC This is not meant as an insult to Poland. As we self-depreciatingly say here with an eye-roll, "this is Canada, lower your expectations."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 456 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Fri 28 Sep 2012
at 03:27
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff's elevated position in the crow's nest gave him a good view of the unfolding dock scene, but the breeze made it hard to hear what was going on.  Watching Dawid seemingly pouting, he guessed that the woman on deck was his sister.  Mostly because the queen and these two NATO strangers boarding were the only adults he had seen.

Knowing that they were preparing to cast off, Jeff calls down in a Russian accent "Hey! You want me just to be grabbing woman on dock? Quit with the bullshitting." he punctuates this final remark with a sweep of his hand over the whole town.
Gunther Scholz
 player, 8 posts
 East German
 Tanker
Fri 28 Sep 2012
at 07:39
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Craig Sutherland (msg # 483):

In response to the wise suggestion, Gunther realizes the situation and seeks cover before his head gets blown off.

OOC:

Tony no insult taken. Remember, millions of Poles living in the US would agree with you! Kinda why they spent all that time and money getting there because it is a 'lower your expectations' sort of place. :)

J-Bird
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1359 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 28 Sep 2012
at 11:36
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
In reply to Daniel Larue (msg # 481):

Pausing at Daniel's words, Dawid snorted. "No one's winning here, anyways. This is Poland. I advise you to lower your expectations."


OOC This is not meant as an insult to Poland. As we self-depreciatingly say here with an eye-roll, "this is Canada, lower your expectations."

PM
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2627 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 29 Sep 2012
at 01:38
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Urzula, let's talk. Come on down to the tug, we're not leaving for a few minutes, yet."


Urzula approaches the Krolowa. No one tries to stop her. The boys forming the cordon round the tug's berth look at her with a sort of admiration reserved for mothers or big sisters. Some of the older boys' glances are more than a little bit lustful.

"Dudy, I... I just can't believe it's you. I..."

She breaks down in tears and throws her arm around Dawid's shoulders. She clenches him tightly to her and sobs, releasing weeks of fear and sadness in a rush of tears.

One of the teenaged squad leader-types yells, "Three minutes!"

Urzula tries hard to pull herself together. She manages to ask, between sniffles, "What's going on? They're saying you've killed some of the Beasts."

Dawid notes that Urzula's sleeves are stained crimson red up to the elbows. She's clearly been busy rendering aid to the wounded from the Kommando's early morning firefight with the Plock miltia.

Smoke is pouring from the tug's stack. She's ready to get underway. More armed boys are now arriving at the dock and those on board who look up towards the cathedral on Tum hill observe hillside fighting positions being manned.

"Careful, doctor! They've got poison gas on board!" one of the newly arrived boys shouts.

Urzula looks up into Dawid's eyes and gives him a pained, questioning, almost accusatory look. "Dudy?"

"Two minutes!"


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:24, Sat 29 Sept 2012.

Minh Quyen
 player, 650 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 29 Sep 2012
at 06:46
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Quyen stays on the DSHK and continues to observe the situation on the dock while puffing on her smoke.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:46, Sat 29 Sept 2012.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 549 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 29 Sep 2012
at 07:03
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Gunther Scholz (msg # 487):

"Gunther is it ? Come over here and spot for me. You will know where these little pricks heavy weapons are placed I assume ?"

As the count down continued Craig tried to look as nonchalant as possible. He still had both hands on the grenade launcher as he waited for the new guy to start giving him some intel.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2897 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 29 Sep 2012
at 07:53
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg # 489):

He didn't have a lot of time to waste.

"Urzula, I don't have time to talk. Look, I promised mom and dad I'd find you, look after you, you know I have to do that. Whatever future you have, it's not with the Queen and her "Beasts". We are leaving now, you need to come with me. Right now."

Glancing at the militia, Dawid answered, "right, so if you don't want to be puking up your lungs, relax and be patient. We're leaving, don't worry."
Gunther Scholz
 player, 10 posts
 East German
 Tanker
Sat 29 Sep 2012
at 09:16
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Craig Sutherland (msg # 491):

Gunther Scholz looked at the British officer with a mix of loathing and respect. His German obedience to orders, drilled into him since birth in a very ordered society, won out over his psychological pains of his recent past.

"Ja ja, Herr Leutnant, right away" the Sergeant said in English heavily accented with his regional eastern German accent. "I think there, and there" he pointed, indicating sandbagged positions.

"Is there, and also there" he motioned, trying to show with his hands where the threats were to the Queen and her crew. He continued giving the man enemy firing arcs, estimated crew positons, and strengths.

"Maybe if the Leutnant has a pair of good binos, I could show you in greater detail" he suggested, continuing to look downrange.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 550 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 29 Sep 2012
at 09:44
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Gunther Scholz (msg # 493):

"Sorry, here you go*. Anything really terrible we should know about ? Large artillery, heavy mortars ? This is going to get very messy."


*Russian 10x42
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2628 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 29 Sep 2012
at 16:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Urzula, I don't have time to talk. Look, I promised mom and dad I'd find you, look after you, you know I have to do that. Whatever future you have, it's not with the Queen and her "Beasts". We are leaving now, you need to come with me. Right now."


"I... I would, but... but, the wounded! I can't just leave them!"

One of the older boys steps forward and places his hand gently on Urzula's arm.

"Come on, doctor, it's not safe here."

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:04, Sat 29 Sept 2012.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1361 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 29 Sep 2012
at 16:45
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Cap'n Rae:
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Urzula, I don't have time to talk. Look, I promised mom and dad I'd find you, look after you, you know I have to do that. Whatever future you have, it's not with the Queen and her "Beasts". We are leaving now, you need to come with me. Right now."


"I... I would, but... but, the wounded! I can't just leave them!"

One of the older boys steps forward and places his hand gently on Urzula's arm.

"Come on, doctor, it's not safe here."

Continuing to draw smoke out of his cigar, Robert takes another step up closer to Dawid but keeps his hands out in the open.  He says in a quiet voice, "Under two minutes dude."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1703 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 29 Sep 2012
at 19:55
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jumping back aboard, Bayer makes his way up the exterior ladder to upper deck. Before entering the bridge he calls down to Jan on the deck, motioning to the mooring lines securing them to the dock, "Cast off." He then enters the bridge and asks Griet, who is at the wheel, "Can you keep her steady against the dock for a minute? I gave them two..."

Bayer then lowers himself down to where he is out of sight of anyone on shore and reloads his launcher with a CS gas round. He then rises back up again and sets the weapon on the map table before looking out at the situation dockside. Come on...

This message was last edited by the player at 19:55, Sat 29 Sept 2012.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 462 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Sat 29 Sep 2012
at 19:59
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff watches the situation on the dock start to unfold.  The kids were tensing up, but Dawid had gone off chasing this woman who did not seem about to leave.

Getting the impression that Dawid was going to dawdle, Jeff calls out in Russian to Dawid, knowing he speaks the language.

"Товарищ Пётровский, нет времени! Возьмите вашу сестру силой, если необходимо, и давайте уходить. Там собираются быть много мертвых детей в чуть более одной минуты!  to reinforce his point and hopefully keep the kids from freaking out at a Russian voice, he adds in accented English "No time! No time!"

Bad to worse. Not my time today.
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 14 posts
 Dutch
 Marine Commando
Sat 29 Sep 2012
at 20:32
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Thinking of the weeks he had just spent training the children who might just now try to kill him -- and possibly get killed themselves in the process, Thijs called down to the dock, "Doctor -- Urzula, we have done all we can for these kids.  Gunther and I are leaving.  You should come, too."  As he says this, he looked for an impromptu firing position on the deck where he may have some cover from fire from the shore.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:36, Sat 29 Sept 2012.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 463 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Sat 29 Sep 2012
at 20:46
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff gets another idea.  Grabbing the handrails, he slides down from his observation post and locates Konrad.  He cuts in front of and interrupts anyone  talking to him.  In a low and unaccented voice, he says

"Now might be a really good time to remind them of our 'chemical weapons'."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2899 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 29 Sep 2012
at 21:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Cap'n Rae:
"I... I would, but... but, the wounded! I can't just leave them!"

One of the older boys steps forward and places his hand gently on Urzula's arm.

"Come on, doctor, it's not safe here."


"We have a surgeon and staff aboard who wanted to help with the wounded, the Queen didn't want us to. That shows where her priorities are. Let's go now, we can negotiate to have the wounded transferred where we can treat them properly."

He looked coldly at the youth, resisting the urge to feed him his own hand. Although he did not make a move, he got ready to stiff-arm the little puke in the throat and just grab Urzula.

"Be careful with your hand, my little friend, this is my sister. We are getting ready to leave. If you have any thoughts about moving us along, best remember the warnings about all that poison on board the boat."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2629 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 30 Sep 2012
at 00:20
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"We have a surgeon and staff aboard who wanted to help with the wounded, the Queen didn't want us to. That shows where her priorities are. Let's go now, we can negotiate to have the wounded transferred where we can treat them properly."


Urzula looks conflicted. She's on the spot, making a decision she was not prepared to make, and being pulled in two directions at once.

"You promise, Dawid?"

"One minute!" the timekeeper calls. A squad's worth of boys pulls away from the dock and moves towards Tum Hill at a fast jog. The bulk of the 'Supers' hold their ground and shoulder their rifles, pointing them at the tug mostly.

The boys who'd addressed Urzula gives a gentle tug on her arm but she pulls away sharply. He looks hurt by the gesture, but makes no further attempt to move her.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Be careful with your hand, my little friend, this is my sister. We are getting ready to leave. If you have any thoughts about moving us along, best remember the warnings about all that poison on board the boat."


A couple of the boys pointing their weapons at the tug overhear the mention of the supposed poison gas and exchange very nervous glances.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:30, Sun 30 Sept 2012.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1090 posts
Sun 30 Sep 2012
at 08:45
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

This message was deleted by the player at 11:28, Sun 30 Sept 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2900 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 30 Sep 2012
at 09:56
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Cap'n Rae:
Urzula looks conflicted. She's on the spot, making a decision she was not prepared to make, and being pulled in two directions at once.

"You promise, Dawid?"

"One minute!" the timekeeper calls. A squad's worth of boys pulls away from the dock and moves towards Tum Hill at a fast jog. The bulk of the 'Supers' hold their ground and shoulder their rifles, pointing them at the tug mostly.

The boys who'd addressed Urzula gives a gentle tug on her arm but she pulls away sharply. He looks hurt by the gesture, but makes no further attempt to move her.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Be careful with your hand, my little friend, this is my sister. We are getting ready to leave. If you have any thoughts about moving us along, best remember the warnings about all that poison on board the boat."


A couple of the boys pointing their weapons at the tug overhear the mention of the supposed poison gas and exchange very nervous glances.


Glacing at the section taking off to tell the Queen of what was going on, Dawid nodded. "Yes, I promise, but we have no more time to decide. The Queen paid a lot to buy you from the Baron, you are her property now no matter what she told you. Is that what your future holds?"

He put his own hand on her arm, "please, it's time to go."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 672 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 30 Sep 2012
at 11:29
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Will do," Griet said in answer to Bayer's question. She had the lines cast off and used the thrusters to keep the boat next to the dock. The homer piec was ready to discharge but she kept her hand well away from the lever, the clouds of scalding steam might give them a chance to get the first strike in but unless Dawid could get his sister out of the firing line, it would flense their flesh from their bones and leave them die in twitching agony.

Griet knew that as an artilleryman Dawid considered killing his own by accident as an occupational hazard: Griet had other thoughts on the matter.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1362 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 30 Sep 2012
at 12:42
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Tucker casually looks over his shoulders, with his hands still crossed in front of him while Dawid and Urzula continue to talk.  He then looks at his watch and moves up closely behind Dawid again and whispers,
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2631 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 30 Sep 2012
at 18:57
Escape from Witch Mountain
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
Glacing at the section taking off to tell the Queen of what was going on, Dawid nodded. "Yes, I promise, but we have no more time to decide. The Queen paid a lot to buy you from the Baron, you are her property now no matter what she told you. Is that what your future holds?"

He put his own hand on her arm, "please, it's time to go."


Urzula pulls away from Dawid's touch but walks past him towards the tug. Several boys call after her but no one attempts to stop or follow her. She climbs aboard, followed by Dawid and Tucker, both keenly aware of the dozen or so rifles trained on their backs. As soon as everyone, including the three new passengers, is aboard, Walter and Tadeuz cast off the mooring cables and the tug pushes itself away from the dock. The Plock boys hold their fire. They seem to have been completely unprepared for the sudden defection of their Foreign training cadre and chief medical officer.

When the Krolowa is about 200m downriver from the dock, the tug's tail gunner [not sure who is currently manning the AGS-17/PKM position on the quarterdeck aft] notices the pilot/bomb boat putting off from the dock in apparent pursuit. Based on what the tug crew has seen of the pilot boat's performance, it's a reasonably safe bet that the tug can pretty easily outrun it, especially given a head start. On the other hand, travelling at flank speed down the recently uncharted Vistula is not recommended.

Tum Hill looks like an ants' nest, recently disturbed. Armed kids run about, following the progress of the tug along the hill's crest. Gunfire rings out from the heights but is quickly cut off. As far as you can tell, no rounds reach the tug. A jeep-like vehicle races west along the road paralleling the riverbank, trying to catch up with the Krolowa. The truck is loaded with at least a half-dozen armed kids. The pilot/bomb boat continues to follow the Krolowa at a respectful distance- it's now about 300m or so behind.

Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.009709,0.033023


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:05, Sun 30 Sept 2012.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 673 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 30 Sep 2012
at 19:24
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Griet looked back and frowned at the pursuit, she began to angle the boat slightly to allow the port Dushka a shot at the pilot boat as well as the aft gun, "Kaptain Bayer, I want the threats to the Queen neutralised. I'm angling the boat to give the port Dushka a shot at maximum deflection, the starboard Dushka and for'rad guns are free to engage the road traffic. Make your dispositions if you please."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:34, Sun 30 Sept 2012.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1091 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 30 Sep 2012
at 19:26
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Mariusz saw the vehicle speeding to catch them up and pivoted the PKM to face it. He got onto the ammunition belt and yelled at Dawid, "PK ready for you to use!"
Daniel Larue
 player, 168 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 30 Sep 2012
at 19:53
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
As the Queen pulls away from the dock, Danny lets his breath hiss between his teeth and relaxes his grip on Winona.  "Awesome, Dave.  Thanks for exceeding my lowered expectations."  He glances warily at the oncoming pursuit.  "Now will you please get on your gun before Mariusz pisses himself?  I'll see to the lady."

Turning to Urzula, he gives her a polite nod and a brief visual check for injuries.  "Doctor, welcome aboard the Wisla Krolowa.  I'm Tech Sergeant Larue, field medic for this unit.  If you'll please follow me, we'll get you safely below decks.  Is any of that blood yours?"  He motions for her to follow him toward the galley, intending to place her in - sigh - Major Soleblume's care until the incipient battle is decided.

OOC: Yes, Danny is assuming Urzula's command of English is as good as Dawid's.  No, I know this probably isn't a safe assumption.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2901 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 30 Sep 2012
at 20:17
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
In reply to Mariusz Tokarski (msg # 509):

Once they were on the tug, Dawid led Urzula inside to the wardroom and found her a seat. "Wait here, you'll be safe."

quote:
Mariusz saw the vehicle speeding to catch them up and pivoted the PKM to face it. He got onto the ammunition belt and yelled at Dawid, "PK ready for you to use!"


Returning to his duty station at the Vasilek he said to Mariusz, "God and the Black Madonna be praised, I had no idea it would be that easy. Too easy! Well, get ready for action! Help me man the Vasilek."

Tired of having little psychopaths pointing guns at him, he swung the Vasilek around to aim at the church. "See how they like staring down the mouth of a gun! A bigger gun!"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1363 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 1 Oct 2012
at 01:43
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg # 511):

Tucker follows Dawid and his sister back onto the tug before he himself gets back on their home and escorts them both below deck so she is safe and out of the way.  Once there, he leaves them, grabs his gear and then finds himself a spot to defend the Queen if necessary.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1704 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 1 Oct 2012
at 02:23
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Bayer leans out of the pilot house as Griet turns the tug and shouts towards the starboard DSHK, "Quyen! Three hundred meters... boat on the river... slow rate... fire."

He then steps out of the bridge and calls down to the main deck, "Target heavy weapon threats only. Save the ammo... we're already leaving here."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:40, Mon 01 Oct 2012.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 15 posts
 Dutch
 Marine Commando
Mon 1 Oct 2012
at 02:45
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Unsure where to go, Thijs gravitates to the one man on board the tug that he knows.  Keeping an eye out for possible threats, he asked, "Meneer Sutherland, tell me about these people you -- and now I -- have gotten involved with.  What are they like?"
Craig Sutherland
 player, 551 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 1 Oct 2012
at 04:39
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
In reply to Thijs van Lincklaen (msg # 514):

"Just a second Thijs, let me get this sorted first. You may wish to give it to them on the PKM."

"Gunther let me know where these land and corrections, thanks."

Craig had kept the AGS-17 trained on the dock and the pilot boat as they left just in case one of the teenagers got brave. Now with the boat in their wake about to become a problem he depresses the trigger on the grenade launcher sending a couple of bursts towards the boat.



Weather Deck

"AGS-17 ??/??"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2902 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 1 Oct 2012
at 07:48
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 513):

"Hm, we're screened by the superstructure."

Aiming the Vasilek at the jeep, he then used the intercom. "If you want me to bring the Vasilek to bear you'll have to turn port or starboard. For now, I'm targeting the jeep with fragmentation."
Gunther Scholz
 player, 13 posts
 East German
 Tanker
Mon 1 Oct 2012
at 08:28
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
In reply to Craig Sutherland (msg # 515):

"Copy waiting for your first shot" Sergeant Scholz said, trying to remember exactly how the British he worked with before had talked to each other when calling for fire.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1705 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 1 Oct 2012
at 11:20
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
"Hold up." Bayer calls back on the intercom. "There is nothing worth expending ammunition on right now. Standby." Bayer then turns his attention the boat behind them and call for the rear fire to cease once it's damaged or turns away.
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1381 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 2 Oct 2012
at 13:13
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Jan, on the aft PKM, kept watching the boat that was following them, ready to engage if necessary but holding his fire for the moment.

He was amazed that they had managed to get out of Plock with Dawid's sister and no firefight.  From what the boys on the dock had been yelling they seemed to think that the boat had chemical weapon shells on-board and that they were nervous of firing as a result.  The bluff made Jan smile, particularly as the boys hadn't picked up from Thijs and Gunther's attitude, in willingly getting on the boat, that chemical shells were actually rather hard to actually detonate correctly.

That reminded Jan of something.  In the hurried exit out of Plock the German Tanker Gunther had avoided saying anything about his background.  Jan would have to talk to the man further as they needed to know a little more about the man.


Jan
Aft PKM (??/??)
Covering the boat & preparing to engage if necessary

This message was last edited by the player at 14:46, Tue 02 Oct 2012.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 465 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Wed 3 Oct 2012
at 07:33
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Without telling anyone what he was planning on doing, Jeff uses the solitude of the crows nest to his advantage. Firmly breaching his rifle, he sites it in on the driver of the Jeep. A difficult shot, but not one he hadn't performed before in his "travels".

Push left 6ft.

Wait for the jeep to settle.

Calm river. Good. No pitching. Morning keeps the wind down too

Light pressure, 2lbs on trigger, over halfway there.

Close eye, need to focus.

Exhale, inhale, half pound to the trigger, nothing left.

Exhale halfway and hold. Pause between heartbeats.

Last half pound. Send it.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:35, Wed 03 Oct 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2633 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 4 Oct 2012
at 01:39
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain

The tug pulls away from Plock, the city's dominating feature slowly receding with every passing second. The pilot/bomb boat continues its pursuit, but its small, poorly-maintained engine simply can't push her hard enough to gain any distance on the Krolowa. Craig doesn't give the small vessel another chance. Taking aim, he lobs a burst of five 30mm HE grenades at the Krolowa's tail. The first two round land just short, sending up white water sprays a couple of meters ahead of the pilot/boat's bow. The next three rounds find the target in quick succession. Three small explosions wrack the small boat, wrecking the small conning box; it slows abruptly, streaming smoke. The young crew of two is most likely dead. The current continues to pull the small boat along behind the tug, but the Krolowa is steadily widening the gap between the vessels. (-5 30mm HE)

On the bridge roof, Warren attempts an ambitious shot at the jeep driver shadowing the tug on the eastern shore. He does everything right, but the bullet apparently fails to meet the target. The jeep continues to barrel along, its driver blissfully unaware that he just cheated death. Without heavy weapons, however, it's unclear what the young jeep crew intends to accomplish in it's shorebound chase.(Warren -1 round)

Unaware that she's being addressed, Minh (NPC'ed) does not fire on the jeep with the starboard HMG.

The tug continues on its course, leaving Plock behind. It's now a kilometer-and-a-half in the Krolowa's wake and the distance is steadily widening. Considering the circumstances, the tug's 15kph speed is justifiable, but the danger of colliding with an unseen obstacles rises and falls with her speed. At the moment, the danger is more than negligible. The umanned pilot boat continues its lazy pursuit, still trailing smoke as it drifts along far behind the tug.

In the Krolowa's tiny sickbay, Danny gives Urzula a cursory examination to ensure that the blood on her sleaves is not her own. She protests but allows him to look at her hands and arms. Danny confirms that she is uninjured. She's clearly in a bit of psychological distress, however, as a result of the unexpected series of events that have just transpired. She had very little time to process the situation as it developed, and her decision to board the tug was made in haste and under pressure. It will take her a while to process the events of the last half-hour and make sense of it all.


Next Moves?
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1708 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 4 Oct 2012
at 01:44
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Bayer returns to the bridge and says to Griet at the wheel, "Der is some pursuit from a jeep but it's not a problem. You can slow now if you think it is safer." He then motions to the shore, "We'll keep an eye on the vehicle and deal with it if it becomes an danger."
Gunther Scholz
 player, 16 posts
 East German
 Tanker
Thu 4 Oct 2012
at 07:20
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg # 521):

Gunther Scholz will continue to answer questions from Cerny and the others as to his background and recent travels. He will also discuss the whereabouts of any 'enemy' units, as well as any 'friendly' units in the area or other troop concentrations and other places/things of interest he remembers from his pilgrimage to Plock.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 552 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 4 Oct 2012
at 23:43
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain

Once it was obvious that the boat had taken a mortal hit Craig stopped firing. He waited for an assessment from the German tanker, but could see additional rounds would not be needed.

"Hopefully the boat will burn as well. Looks like the bomb was a ruse."

He turned to Thijs:

"Its a good boat with a good crew. I met them on the other side of Warsaw in a small village and they proceeded to take down the Baron. I am sure that Captain Bayer will want to talk to both of you once this is sorted out."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1365 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 4 Oct 2012
at 23:54
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Tucker makes his way back to the port side Dishka HMG and stand by there as long as no one else has manned his post while he went ashore or Konrad has something else for him to do.  Watching the boat get knocked out, Robert shifts his attention to the vehicle trying to chase them down by land but, does not fire on it unless ordered so.
Daniel Larue
 player, 170 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Fri 5 Oct 2012
at 00:20
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Danny tunes out the noise from above as he checks Urzula.  The volume of fire isn't enough to indicate a real firefight.  Finishing, he stands up to his full height to crack his vertebrae, then gives Dawid's sister a considering look.  May just be processing, may be able to fall apart.  Can't tell.  Need to give her something to... aha.  He turns to Boots, who's wedged herself into a corner to stay upright and out of the way in the wake of Mariusz's departure.  "Boss, this is Doctor... uh, Pitrowski, Dawid's sister.  She's an M.D.  She just came aboard and could stand to get an orientation briefing."  He nods to Urzula.  "Ma'am, this is Major Connolly.  She sustained a mild concussion and cold water immersion last night.  She's stable now, but I need to get back upstairs.  Would you be so kind as to monitor her condition for me?"

Having given both noncombatants something simple and productive to do, Danny exits the deckhouse and heads toward his alleged duty station on the bridge, casting apprehensive glances at the shoreline as he ascends the stairs.  Having trouble giving much of a shit, but where's Major Doctor hiding, anyway?  Did Dave trade her for his sister when I wasn't looking?

This message was last edited by the player at 00:23, Fri 05 Oct 2012.

Minh Quyen
 player, 651 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 5 Oct 2012
at 02:15
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
"Ahh... firing now." Quyen replies after a silent delay. She then guides the heavy machinegun's barrel towards the moving jeep and settles the sights a little ways in front of it. The first burst is just to gauge the lead and then she will adjust if necessary and fire another two. When the aim looks good she squeezes the trigger and watches the fall of the tracers.

Quyen
Starboard DSHK
Firing burst to gauge accuracy then 2 more (15 rounds)

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2903 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 5 Oct 2012
at 02:23
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 522):

Looking at the jeep, then stepping to where he could see the pilot boat, Dawid thought for a second. Moving back to the Vasilek he triggered the bridge intercom.

"It could be that the jeep is controlling the boat remotely? I'm not an engineer or anything, but it seems it would have to keep close to maintain control. A little far-fetched, perhaps. I'd like to blow that boat out of the water anyways."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 466 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Fri 5 Oct 2012
at 03:35
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Jeff is mildly upset at the miss. He racks the bolt and prepares to correct on his assumption of the shoot, but the big DSHK beneath him opens up on the Jeep.

He watches the tracers streak toward the vehicle, and calls adjustments as needed. Afterwards he glasses the boat for a battle damage assessment.
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 17 posts
 Dutch
 Marine Commando
Fri 5 Oct 2012
at 04:00
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Not yet having anywhere to be and with the man who'd introduced himself as Jan on the machinegun, Thijs remained on the quarterdeck, ready to deploy his autorifle in case the situation heated up once again.  He made small talk with Jan and Lt. Sutherland once the latter had finished firing the grenade launcher, eventually bringing up a mutual friend from their training days together.  "So, have you heard from Sergeant Kinnealy lately?  How has he been?"

Later, once he'd been summoned to speak with Bayer, he came to attention and spoke to the officer, "Good day, Kapitein.  I suppose you will want me to tell you about myself and what lies ahead downriver.  What would you like to know?"
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 392 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Fri 5 Oct 2012
at 13:46
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Jay kept to his post, watching the other side of the river (i.e. not the jeep side). All seemed quiet, bu he remained vigilant.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1092 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 5 Oct 2012
at 15:08
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Mariusz crouched next to Dawid and said, "All it would take are some Dushka rounds to the waterline, punch holes in her and she'll take on water, eventually she'll fall further behind and sink."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 674 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 5 Oct 2012
at 15:11
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Griet looked over her shoulder, "I'm slowing down to just under five KPH: we've ridden our luck so far and I'm loath to push it much further. I'm not keen on the idea of a boat-load of explosive floating after us. Once we've gotten rid of our pursuers may I suggest either sinking it with machinegun fire or sending the jolly boat out to investigate it? I suppose there may be salvage on it but I'd be more comfortable with it at the bottom of the river."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2635 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 6 Oct 2012
at 00:40
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain

The tug slows to a safer and less urgent 5kph, still faster than the drifting pilot/bomb boat. The latter is sitting lower in the water now and has started to give off a little more whitish smoke. As the team at the aft weapon station looks on, the trailing vessel errupts in a slow, but only slightly less destructive, low-order explosion. In a few seconds, the only think still following the tug is a fleet of small pieces of smoldering flotsam. The rumbling boom of the incomplete detonation echoes across the surrounding landscape and can be felt within the bowels of the tug.

The presumably hostile jeep, which had pulled ahead of the tug during the last minute or so, apparently notices the destruction of the pilot/bomb boat and seemingly loses heart. The jeep slows and then stops, and the young passengers watch the tug steam by. They look like they're thinking about shooting at the tug as she passes, but the sight of the Vasilek and starboard HMG pointing in their direction has a very sobering effect, and they do not open fire.

LaRue cleverly gives Urzula something other than the shock of her impromptu escape to focus on, and she seems to liven up a little bit. Connolly understands what LaRue's trying to do and, despite the language barrier, engages with the newcomer. LaRue does not run across Major Soleblume on his short trip the bridge. It occurs to him that he hasn't seen her since the sun's been up.

The tug's newest passengers work to get acquainted with its tight-knit security crew. Although interactions are friendly, mutual suspicion lurks just below the surface. In this world, trust has to be earned.


Next Moves?

OOC: This will probably be the last turn in this chapter. Post responses here but be on the lookout for a new chapter soon.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 553 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 6 Oct 2012
at 01:19
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain


Craig felt the rolling explosion in the pit of his stomach, it brought back memories of close and bigger explosions. He continued to scan the bank from the tugs weather deck until relieved.

"Looks like I was wrong about the boat, best never to call someones bluff with explosives."

"Sergeant Kinnealy, I haven't heard that name in quite sometime. To be honest Thijs once they started using the brigade as paratroopers over Warsaw the shit hit the fan rather quick. Broke both my legs on landing and that was the end of my war. knocked around Warsaw until we started back to friendly lines and hopped on the tug. What about you ?"
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 18 posts
 Dutch
 Marine Commando
Sat 6 Oct 2012
at 02:32
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
"Once the situation around Gdansk stabilized somewhat, it was getting rather domestic there. I must be getting soft in the head in my old age.  I actually volunteered to make my way upriver to Warsaw and help guide stragglers back to the Baltic for repatriaation.  Things happened along the way -- things I am not ready to talk about.  I made it as far as Plock before deciding that going any further into the Baron's territory on my own would be suicide.  The so-called 'queen'," -- Thijs looked as though he wanted to spit -- "'convinced' me to stay and help train those young beasts in weapons work.  I met Gunther there.  As I said before, we did not have much choice.  Those hooligans have their own brand of discipline, but it is nothing like what you and I are accustomed to in our own respective Corps.  Gunther and I have taught them as much as we were able.  When your boat appeared from upriver, we stood to, thinking you were another attempt by the Baron's pirates to raid the town.  When you proved to be otherwise, we decided we'd had enough, and so showed up on the dock."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2904 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 6 Oct 2012
at 02:43
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Mariusz Tokarski:
Mariusz crouched next to Dawid and said, "All it would take are some Dushka rounds to the waterline, punch holes in her and she'll take on water, eventually she'll fall further behind and sink."


"Looks like it did. In spectacular fashion! Well, I should go see to my poor sister. It's been a long time, far too long, and as it seems like the immediate danger has passed I should see how she's doing. Look after the gun, I'll be inside. Call me if you need to."

With a nod of thanks, he left to go find his sister. "Hello, Urzula, it's been a while. Let me put on some tea, we have much catching up to do. Then we discuss what our future might hold, yes?"
Craig Sutherland
 player, 554 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 6 Oct 2012
at 02:57
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
In reply to Thijs van Lincklaen (msg # 536):

"Did you have to leave much behind on the dock ?"
Daniel Larue
 player, 171 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sat 6 Oct 2012
at 21:17
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
One hand on the door to the bridge, Danny pauses, frowns to himself, and turns around.  Heading back into the accommodation area, he knocks once on the door of the compartment in which Anneka makes her lair.  "Major?"

OOC: If there's no answer, Danny will let himself in to see if Anneka's gear or personal weapons are gone - or if her slowly-cooling corpse is stuffed under her bunk.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:28, Sat 06 Oct 2012.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 19 posts
 Dutch
 Marine Commando
Sat 6 Oct 2012
at 21:43
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
In reply to Craig Sutherland (msg # 538):

Thijs shrugged and replied, "On the dock, no.  In my quarters, I left behind a bit of equipment.  It was mostly extra clothing and camping gear.  What I shall really miss would be two cases of ammunition, a handful of grenades, a chemical defense suit, and a Geiger counter.  Oh, when the time comes, might I be able to borrow a weapon-cleaning kit?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2636 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 7 Oct 2012
at 00:37
Escape From Witch Mountain

Urzula emerges on deck, wrapped in a blanket. Connolly is at her shoulder. She offers an "I couldn't stop her." shrug to anyone who makes eye contact with her.

Urzula addresses Dawid, but she speaks loud enough for anyone else nearby [the Vasilek position forward or the gangway above] to hear as well. Her Polish is clean and correct, allowing even those with only basic proficiency in the language to understand what she says.

"Dawid, the Queen wanted me to treat the man who sold me to the Queen: the Black Baron. He'll be in Plock tomorrow. I was there when his representative made contact; the Baron is going to be at the church and he doesn't want any of "the Queen's little psychopaths" anywhere near. If he convinces her to use her army to retake Warsaw, hundreds of those children could die!"

Inside the tug, LaRue goes to check on the conspicuously scarce Israeli major. There's no answer when he knocks on her cabin door to the women's quarters (Anneka shares the small room with Griet and Minh). He tries the stubby nob and it turns without resistance. The room is empty and Soleblume's things are missing. On her bunk is a tented piece of small composition book paper. On it, in a pinched script, is written,

Duty calls and I must be away. Perhaps we'll meet again some day. I wish you all the best of luck and I ask that you wish me the same. A.S.


Next Moves?
Daniel Larue
 player, 172 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 7 Oct 2012
at 00:54
Re: Escape From Witch Mountain
Danny contemplates the note for a second, then, as no one can see him, squeezes his eyes shut and pinches the bridge of his nose to dispel an incipient headache.  Well, I reckon we really did trade one doctor for another.  He spins and pushes out of the compartment, heading for the wardroom.  Once there, he quickly inventories the pharmaceuticals and other medical supplies, then heads back up to the bridge again.

On the bridge, Danny clears his throat and waits for Bayer to acknowledge him.  "Sir.  We have a personnel and security issue.  Major Soleblume went to powder her nose and left us with the check."  He extends the note for the hauptmann's examination, holding it carefully by a corner as if to avoid further contamination.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 555 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 7 Oct 2012
at 01:14
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
In reply to Thijs van Lincklaen (msg # 540):

"That is a pain, some useful stuff. Is there anywhere friendly to trade further along ? Somewhere we wont be fired upon as soon as well approach ?"

Craig stops to listen to the woman they took from the dock but gives no emotive response when she has finished.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2905 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 7 Oct 2012
at 01:42
Re: Escape From Witch Mountain
Cap'n Rae:
Urzula emerges on deck, wrapped in a blanket. Connolly is at her shoulder. She offers an "I couldn't stop her." shrug to anyone who makes eye contact with her.

Urzula addresses Dawid, but she speaks loud enough for anyone else nearby [the Vasilek position forward or the gangway above] to hear as well. Her Polish is clean and correct, allowing even those with only basic proficiency in the language to understand what she says.

"Dawid, the Queen wanted me to treat the man who sold me to the Queen: the Black Baron. He'll be in Plock tomorrow. I was there when his representative made contact; the Baron is going to be at the church and he doesn't want any of "the Queen's little psychopaths" anywhere near. If he convinces her to use her army to retake Warsaw, hundreds of those children could die!"


Dawid appeared to be stunned by the news.

"Good God... we knew there was some kind of connection between the Queen and the Baron. We heard she bought you with poison gas shells, traded to the Baron. (We don't have any such shells on board, but if the Queen let us go because she thought we did, we weren't about to correct her error.)

"It makes sense, the Baron was defeated but not killed. He escaped with some troops and some of his heavy weapons. With an army behind him he could march back into Warszawa, undo all the work we did to free it. God forbid, paid for with the blood of these children. Things are so disorganised there right now, he could take back the city with her help."


He shook his head. "The Kaptain and the others need to know about this. We can't leave this behind... I can't leave this unfinished." He switched to English.

"Kaptain! Everyone! The Baron will be in Plock tomorrow! At the church, meeting with the Queen. Her children won't be near. He plans to take back the city. We can finish what we started, we have to finish it!"

This message was last edited by the player at 01:44, Sun 07 Oct 2012.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1093 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 7 Oct 2012
at 10:53
Re: Escape From Witch Mountain
Mariusz listened to Dawid and said, "Well, if we're off to defeat the forces of darkness I'd better make sure everyone's reasonably equipped."

He went from member to member making sure they all had any missing gear replaced to the best of the boat's supplies.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 676 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 7 Oct 2012
at 19:53
Re: Escape From Witch Mountain
Griet watched the pilot boat die and considered how many times in the last few week that could have been the Queen. She sighed at the constant destruction that beset her war-torn country. Destroying rabid dog leaders like the Queen and the Baron would be a service to the people of the world.

She looked over at Dawid and said, "The Vistula Queen is at your service, she will support your quest in any way possible."
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1385 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 7 Oct 2012
at 22:26
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Gunther Scholz:
Gunther Scholz will continue to answer questions from Cerny and the others as to his background and recent travels. He will also discuss the whereabouts of any 'enemy' units, as well as any 'friendly' units in the area or other troop concentrations and other places/things of interest he remembers from his pilgrimage to Plock.

Jan had listened to Gunther's story and recent adventures with the American slavers and the British Medical unit and nodded in understanding.  It was as screwed up and as plausible as almost everyone else's stories so there was little more that Jan could do to be certain that either Gunther or Thijs were on the level.  Well, unless he started pulling fingernails out and if that was called for then Jan suspected that Jeff knew a lot more subtle interrogation techniques.

OOC – I’ve assumed that Gunther has related everything in his entry in the cast list?  Hopefully that’s ok?

When there was a quiet moment Jan reported in to Konrad.  "Capitaine, Craig vouches for the Dutchman Thijs and from talking to Gunther he seems to be just another straggler trying to survive.  It is possible that he might have served with the Black Baron up until a few weeks ago but I doubt it and Craig did at one point anyway so serving does not necessarily mean volunteering.  Anyway, as far as I can tell their stories make sense so unless you want me to start actually interrogating them I think that we just give them jobs to do and see how they perform."



Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Kaptain! Everyone! The Baron will be in Plock tomorrow! At the church, meeting with the Queen. Her children won't be near. He plans to take back the city. We can finish what we started, we have to finish it!"

Jan had been in the middle of lighting up a cigarette when Dawid dropped this bomb shell.  He took a deep drag and then listened to Mariusz and Griet's responses, realising that he cared quite strongly that that evil bastard the Black Baron didn't manage to return to power.

"Griet, how far down river are we now?  They will be watching the river very much now so we will have to walk."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 467 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Mon 8 Oct 2012
at 03:43
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Jeff pipes up at Dawids announcement.  He leans over the railing to listen to Dawid, Konrad, and anyone elses discussion.  During this, he removes a shell from the cheekrest pouch on his rifle and reloads his weapon.  The message is clear.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1710 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 9 Oct 2012
at 01:07
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
With the situation with the boat and jeep out of the way and done with, Bayer stands down the Kommandos, leaving only the usual day OP manned. There had been some recent changes to the roster and he briefly considered taking the time to reorganize the duty stations, but more than anything he just wanted to sit in the galley and relax. The events in Plock, however brief, had left him drained.

In the cramped galley he managed to finally meet the Korlowa's newest passengers and introduce himself. Although he shared Jan's initial concern that they may have been previously employed in the Baron's elite Black Guard, Craig's vetting on the men softened his approach so he kept it brief and friendly. There was so much he wanted to know about the river from them, but he realized that asking too much about it could overwhelm the men and leave out easily overlooked details. Turning to Thijs, he asks simply, "For now, just tell me about Włocławek."

Daniel Larue:
On the bridge galley, Danny clears his throat and waits for Bayer to acknowledge him.  "Sir.  We have a personnel and security issue.  Major Soleblume went to powder her nose and left us with the check."  He extends the note for the hauptmann's examination, holding it carefully by a corner as if to avoid further contamination.


Bayer takes the note and reads it over before silently folding it up neatly and putting into his pocket before making eye contact with Daniel again. "Congratulations Sergeant. I'm promoting you to chief medical officer." he informs the American quietly with little emotion. Truth be told, he didn't know how to react, with anger and relief pulling at him in different directions. He then asks, "What did she take? I mean ahh... how are your supplies holding up?"

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Kaptain! Everyone! The Baron will be in Plock tomorrow! At the church, meeting with the Queen. Her children won't be near. He plans to take back the city. We can finish what we started, we have to finish it!"


Still sitting in the galley, Bayer winces upon the news but keeps quiet for a moment, gauging the reactions of the Kommandos first. He wasn't keen on heading back upriver and hoped he'd never have to set foot in Plock again, but he also didn't like to leave loose ends. Warsaw was their mission, their whole reason for being together, and doing nothing to stop the Baron from taking the city back would undo all that they fought and bled for. Fortunately, it didn't seem like there would be any detractors to the idea of one last scrap with the Baron.

"Yes." Bayer says softly in agreement, "We will finish it." Then nodding at Jan's comment, he says, "I expect it will be a land infiltration, but first (he looks at Dawid) see if you can find out from your sister some more details. Where, for example, will the child militia be if not in attendance."



Later...

Jan Cerny:
When there was a quiet moment Jan reported in to Konrad.  "Capitaine, Craig vouches for the Dutchman Thijs and from talking to Gunther he seems to be just another straggler trying to survive.  It is possible that he might have served with the Black Baron up until a few weeks ago but I doubt it and Craig did at one point anyway so serving does not necessarily mean volunteering.  Anyway, as far as I can tell their stories make sense so unless you want me to start actually interrogating them I think that we just give them jobs to do and see how they perform."


Bayer put a hand on Jan's shoulder and shakes his head, "No. No, I don't think that will be necessary." Then with the past incident with the traitors they had taken on board still fresh in his mind, he adds, "Just keep an eye on them... and don't hesitate to take whatever action might be called for if it seems we have made a mistake."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:08, Tue 09 Oct 2012.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 20 posts
 Dutch
 Marine Commando
Tue 9 Oct 2012
at 03:31
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
Konrad Bayer:
Turning to Thijs, he asks simply, "For now, just tell me about Włocławek."


"There is not much to tell, Kapitein," came the Dutchman's reply.  "The town was more or less deserted when I passed through.  A handful of civilians there, but that was all.  With no bridges standing, there is not much to recommend the place, militarily."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2907 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 9 Oct 2012
at 08:24
Re: Escape from Witch Mountain
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 549):

"Yes, Kapitan." He saluted and left.

Finding Urzula, he said, "my friends have agreed to help. This is good. I would have done it alone if needed, but these men and women are the best I've seen. We will stop the Baron, perhaps we can end the Queen's mad reign as well, free her children. If we do it right, we can avoid hurting anyone other than the guilty.

"Please tell me everything. First, start with the meeting. Can you describe the Baron's emissary? The meeting? What was said? Did they say who was coming?

"Most importantly, what were the arrangements? How far did the Baron want her children to stay away? Just the outside, or perhaps a certain distance away? That gives us the opportunity to settle matters without harming the children. We might approach from the land or the river, if we approach from land we would wish to avoid running into sentries or others that might get hurt. Is there a way you can think of to get into town without discovery?"


Dawid prepared to take down any important details. He intended to cross-check the details with what the new arrivals had to say.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2637 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 9 Oct 2012
at 22:03
Return to Witch Mountain

The Wisla Krolowa heaves to, spinning on its axis so that it's reinforced bow faces up river, and drops anchor. It is well out of sight of Plock but there's no sense in going any further if the intention is to return, either by land, by water, or a combination of both.

During his cursory examination of the tug's medical stores, LaRue finds surprisingly little missing- from what he can tell, it looks like Anneka took only a bottle of antibiotic tablets, a bottle of analgesic pills, and a single vial of morphine. Everything else- a veritable fortune in post-apocalypse pharmaceuticals- is still in place.

Up in the tug's bridge, Dawid attempts to glean more intelligence from his sister [OOC: all PCs who wish to be present at this impromptu meeting are welcome to attend].

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
Finding Urzula, he said, "my friends have agreed to help. This is good. I would have done it alone if needed, but these men and women are the best I've seen. We will stop the Baron, perhaps we can end the Queen's mad reign as well, free her children. If we do it right, we can avoid hurting anyone other than the guilty.

"Please tell me everything. First, start with the meeting. Can you describe the Baron's emissary? The meeting? What was said? Did they say who was coming?

"Most importantly, what were the arrangements? How far did the Baron want her children to stay away? Just the outside, or perhaps a certain distance away? That gives us the opportunity to settle matters without harming the children. We might approach from the land or the river, if we approach from land we would wish to avoid running into sentries or others that might get hurt. Is there a way you can think of to get into town without discovery?"


"I was not present at the meeting. Some of the boys told me about the arrival of a delegation from Warsaw in a truck the day before the shootout you had with the Beasts. The Queen initially thought you were sent by the Baron as part of a double-cross. Anyway, the Baron's men did not resist when disarmed and the boys thought this a sign of their growing prowess as warriors- you see, the Baron's men and the boys have not always gotten along. Anyhow, the delegates requested a meeting with the Queen. I was summoned shortly after the conclusion of this meeting and told that I would have a special patient, a man that I knew quite well. I was asked to put aside my personal feelings and show professionalism in treating him. When I inquired further, the Queen confirmed my fear- the patient is Baron Czarny. I was told that my performance could greatly benefit Plock by expanding its sphere of influence in the region; the boys wouldn't need to fight so much to keep us all safe. One of the Baron's favorites, a disgusting little weasel called Filip Piekarz, stayed behind in Plock to act as a hostage, when the rest of the party left.

"The Baron has a bullet wound in his leg. The bullet is still lodged in the wound and the area has become infected. Surgery must be performed and the Baron's medic has neither the tools nor the skill to take care of it himself. The operation is to take place in the castle- er, that is what the Queen calls the cathedral now- today, soon after the Baron's arrival. He's supposed to arrive in Plock at around noon, right about now, if that clock is right."


Urzula nods towards the much abused bridge clock on the aft bulkhead. It's taken quite a beating on the voyage from Krakow, but somehow Walter has always managed to get it working again. It's taken quite a licking, but literally keeps on ticking.

"I don't know what will happen now that I'm not there. I can't imagine that Czarny will be very happy. According to the original plan, the Baron's men will not be allowed on Tum Hill; only his bodyguard, the Panthers he calls them, will be permitted to attend him. They are four black men, very loyal, very fierce. As a sign of good faith, the Queen agreed that only her own personal bodyguard, the Athenas, will be allowed inside the castle during the length of the Baron's stay there. There are 15 of them- girls, all of them, each willing to kill and die for the Queen at the blink of an eye.

"The Baron and his remaining forces are to be guests in Plock until such time as arrangements can be made to retake Warsaw. We'd heard rumors that the Baron had been deposed, but nothing certain. His army is much reduced, I take it, but the boys told me that he was bringing tanks with him. They are quite excited to have armor on their side, for once. But as I alluded to before, if any of the Baron's army sets foot on Tum Hill... the Queen assured me that he would pay for any treachery with his life. I'm afraid that's all I can tell you. As I'm sure you understand, I couldn't get answers to all of the questions I had. I've not quite earned the Queen's full trust yet."


-

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:18, Tue 09 Oct 2012.

Daniel Larue
 player, 173 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Tue 9 Oct 2012
at 22:52
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Still not sure how to read Bayer's moods, Danny suppresses his usual ebullience.  Best if I don't encourage him to shoot the messenger.  "Understood, Sir," he nods, then caveats his acknowledgement.  "Don't forget, though, I'm more of a ditch doctor than a real chest-cutter.  Probably best if we make staying with us look like an appealing prospect for Doctor Piotrowski."

At Bayer's question, Danny nods toward the drawers where the team's ready supply of pharmaceuticals resides.  "We're in good shape.  It looks like she put together a personal kit but didn't get too greedy.  I could always wish for more, but we have enough to handle the aftermath of one good fight."  He pauses for a moment.  "And some dentistry, when you feel you can take twenty-four hours of downtime to recover."
Daniel Larue
 player, 174 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Tue 9 Oct 2012
at 23:04
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Following Bayer back to the now-crowded bridge, Danny wedges himself into a space beside Connolly and listens to Urzula's account.  "Guys," he says, looking around to catch the eyes of Dawid, Craig, and Jeff, "I know you want the Baron's ass, but without Doctor Piotrowski there to operate on his leg, he may be a self-correcting problem.  I'll defer to the doctor's diagnosis but it sounds like he's got a couple of weeks, max, with a problem like that."  He glances at Bayer, then shakes his head and continues.  "Assuming he hasn't found himself another surgeon..."

This message was last edited by the player at 11:15, Wed 10 Oct 2012.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1366 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 10 Oct 2012
at 00:01
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Tucker sits and listens to the history of the Baron from Dawid's sister wondering what the plan is going to be for this operation.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 394 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Wed 10 Oct 2012
at 02:05
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Jay, who had been sitting quietly during the meeting, suddenly piped up when Danny mentioned that the baron might not survive anyway. "No, mister Daniel-ji. A man like the Baron might be seen to be dead. Men like him will always find friendly doctor, they always do. We must finish now, and people must know." Jay's usually friendly smile was temporarily absent, replace by a steely look of determination. He clearly felt that eliminating the Baron, and possibly the Plock Queen, was worth the risk.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1712 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 10 Oct 2012
at 14:25
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Bayer nods at Daniel's comment of the Baron's likely, if not delayed, demise from infection. The consequences of leaving it to chance however did not measure up to the odds, he felt. Risk versus hazard, he reminded himself. "Perhaps it might.... but we can ensure that he doesn't get the chance to find out. And I want to be certain this time."

Bayer was however dissappointed that he was already in Plock by now. Turning to Griet, he says, "I don't want to risk an opposed waterborne landing so we'll deploy on the ground to make our advance. Do you think you can bring the boat in as a diversion, to draw attention to the river... but keep enought distance to avoid damage? The smoke plume should allow you to close without actually being in their line of sight ja?"

This message was last edited by the player at 14:27, Wed 10 Oct 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1388 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 10 Oct 2012
at 14:29
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
"Um," commented Jan as he looked around the assembled people.  "Where is Anneka?  I have heard that she is missing?  If that is correct then Jay may be right and the doctor the Baron finds will be Anneka."

He lit a cigarette and took a long drag, savouring it briefly before continuing.  "I also agree with Jay about the Baron.  We cannot trust that he will die of the wounds that he already has.  We must make sure that he dies as soon as possible and that his remaining forces are shattered.  To have done what we have done in Warsaw only for the Baron to take it back again would be hard to accept.  I say that we go back and finish the job we started."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 677 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 10 Oct 2012
at 15:39
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Griet nodded, "We can do that, but I'm going to need a constant update on any armour that appears. The Queen is in no shape to tangle with tanks. That said, we can provide indirect fire with the mortar and Dushkas as well as providing a diversion."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 468 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Wed 10 Oct 2012
at 18:16
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
"Perhaps convince the Queen that the Baron is double crossing her by luring his forces to the hill, or doing it ourselves.  Firefight ensues inside the church, and we kill whoever comes out.  Or get the mortar to hammer the church, and kill whoever runs out."

He pauses a second and thinks about the implication that Anneke is treating him.  Should have finished her myself.

"I will contact Johnstone and see what he knows about the Barons forces headed here."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1094 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 10 Oct 2012
at 20:36
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Mariusz spread his hands on the table, "If at all possible, shelling the cathedral should be a last resort. It's a national treasure, maybe one of the few that's relatively undamaged. It would be a crime against Poland even if you discount the fact it is a house of God. I'd rather not be in the shore party as the Beasties will have it in for me, but if my presence on shore would help save the building, I volunteer."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1715 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 10 Oct 2012
at 21:33
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
"Don't worry." Bayer says sincerely to Mariusz. "That won't happen. All efforts to minimalize damage to the cathedral will be taken... and I do need your presense on the ground with me."

"That goes for everyone, actually, except for Sergeant's Larue's companions."


Bayer then turns to Warren, hopeful that his contact might be of use, and says, "I think once it appears to his men that the Baron is under attack, that will happen on its own. I expect chaos, and am hopeful that the confusion will aide in our extraction."

"See what you can get from your man, that would be very helpful."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:34, Wed 10 Oct 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1389 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 10 Oct 2012
at 21:38
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
"Confusion is what we are good at!" commented Jan with a smirk before continuing with a more serious expression.  "Capitaine, how do you want to do this?  Three teams moving down the east bank of the river?  And do we have any maps of Plock or the surrounding area?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2908 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 11 Oct 2012
at 08:06
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg # 552):

"Thank you, sis. I shall pass this information along to my comrades. Please stay here for now."

"In the man time, think of ways we can get into town without a fight."


He left her (although he didn't want to) and found Konrad. He laid out the information to the "command unit".

"...in the extreme, if he's a tanker then I imagine that Gunter can man the Vasilek in a direct-fire role. Depending on the tank we might be able to take them out with flank fire."

"It seems we could fake our way into town. Few in the Queen's army will know who's in the Baron's party, this confusion could get us in close."


Dawid introduced himself to Thjis and Gunter. "Welcome aboard, gentlemen. I hear one of you's a tanker. That would be you, Gunter? I am Dawid Piotrowski. Urzula, the doctor, that is the Queen's former doctor, is my sister. Hope you can help us out infiltrating the town. We wish to get into position with as little conflict as possible."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1095 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 11 Oct 2012
at 15:41
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
"Of course, Captain," Mariusz agreed, "just don't let the Beasts take me alive."
Gunther Scholz
 player, 20 posts
 East German
 Tanker
Fri 12 Oct 2012
at 13:33
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
In reply to Dawid Waldus Piotrowski (msg # 564):

"Witam Panu" Gunther Scholz said to the Polish man in his native language. His eastern German accent must have amused Dawid, as he was more used to the Czech workers before the war. His accented Polish was, on account, an attempt, which was more than most made in an attempt to be understood by 'the locals'.

"Should be no problem" he continued in Polish, answering Dawid's question about the mortar. He placed his left hand on the Vasilek, patting it like an animal with a sort of reverential treatment.
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 21 posts
 Dutch
 Marine Commando
Sat 13 Oct 2012
at 00:33
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg # 552):

"..."It seems we could fake our way into town. Few in the Queen's army will know who's in the Baron's party, this confusion could get us in close."

Dawid introduced himself to Thjis and Gunter. "Welcome aboard, gentlemen. I hear one of you's a tanker. That would be you, Gunter? I am Dawid Piotrowski. Urzula, the doctor, that is the Queen's former doctor, is my sister. Hope you can help us out infiltrating the town. We wish to get into position with as little conflict as possible."


Thijs shook the artillerist's hand.  "I am pleased to meet you.  May I point out that quite a few of the boys -- especially those who were at the docks -- will be able to recognize you.  It is very likely that some of them may be redeployed away from Tum Hill.  All of the 'beasts' will definitely recognize me.  For this reason, I suggest that I stay here on the tug if you intend to infiltrate the town."  "And that way I can avoid killing my former charges unless it becomes absolutely necessary," he thought to himself.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2911 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 13 Oct 2012
at 00:37
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
In reply to Thijs van Lincklaen (msg # 567):

Appalled at his accent, Dawid replied to Gunter, "let's stick to English, yes? The Vasilek is a good weapon!"

OOC: It's true (if cliche) that when trying to speak someone else's tongue they invariably never want you to, instead preferring anything else. (Unless they're English.)

"Well, we can disguise ourselves, or maybe you can think of a way to get in without being seen at all? Or are these child soldiers so good they have the entire area sewn up? I have a hard time believing that, even professionals can't be everywhere at once."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1721 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 13 Oct 2012
at 18:30
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Bayer does a quick head count to remind himself of what they have to work with before hashing out a quick groupings and tasks set of orders. "Alright, attention please... listen for your name. Shore party is as follows." he says loud enough for all to hear.

"Myself and Sergeant Larue, will be all there is to make up platoon headquarters."

"Jan will take One Section, along with Lt.Sutherland, Quyen, and Thijs. Ensure your section carries the PKM machine gun."

"Sergeant Tucker will take Two Section, along with Warren, Jay, and Mariusz. Ensure your section carries the RPG-7 while on the ground."

"Order of march is One Section, Headquarters, and Two Section when in single file. Extended line formation will see One Section on the left, Two Section on the Right, and Headquarters in the center depth."


Bayer then pauses before exhaling slowly and says, "Our usual breakdown of three assault teams, a support group, and headquarters is simply not going to happen this time - but this is what we're going to work with. It means fewer subunits on the ground, but I think we're still flexible enough."

He then turns to Dawid, and says, "You're the best gunner. I need you on the gun. Gunther will assist. I know it's not the same as putting a bullet in the Baron's head personally, but you're far more valuable to make killing the Baron possible being here on the mortar." He knew it wasn't exactly what Dawid preferred this time around, but hoped he saw his reason. Bayer also wasn't entirely comfortable leaving their heaviest firepower in the hands of the newest members yet - not without at least one trial by fire as part of the Kommandos.

Then addressing the group, Bayer continues, "There is no time for reconnaissance or lengthy preparations, so we're going in cold. We'll adapt as the situation unfolds and rely on our small size, but heavy firepower to get in and out."

"I don't want to risk an infiltration. Heightened security is going make it all the more difficult for outsiders to gain entry, if it's even possible and the town not on some sort of lock down. Like Dawid said, they can't be everywhere. Either they are covering the main approaches or spread out very thin... either one is fine for us."

"The tug will be our diversion. Griet will take it back towards the town and using whatever ruse, be it horn blasts or machinegun fire, to make it look like an attack and draw some of their forces to the riverside. I anticipate the Baron will not be able to move once surgery is started, so instead of escaping, his men will try to hold against attack. The tug is already a known threat so I expect it to cause some concern. if anything, just knock out that machinegun position."


Then while he lets that sit for a moment, Bayer addresses Thijs, "You know the town, the inhabited sections, and the defensive strongpoints. You're the guide." Bayer then hands him his map and taping his watch, adds, "Find me a route in and get back to me in ten minutes."

Next turning to face Jeff, he reminds him, "I could use any info on the Baron's forces in Plock. We step off shortly. Can you see about that now?"

Bayer finished by addressing the group again, "Questions?"

This message was last edited by the player at 18:35, Sat 13 Oct 2012.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 398 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sat 13 Oct 2012
at 22:31
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Jay slowly raised his hand. "Please kapitanbayer-ji, is the Queen target too, or just Baron and his men?"
Daniel Larue
 player, 178 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 14 Oct 2012
at 02:03
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Danny waits for Konrad to address Jay's question, then clears his throat.  "Medical brief.  Suppressive fire is the best preventive medicine, but double-check your kits.  Gauze, pressure bandages, tourniquets.  If you're missing the basics, get with me before we launch.  If someone takes a hit out there, finish the fight before you render aid.  If you're treating, you're not shooting.  If no one can get to you immediately, keep fighting if you can, otherwise play dead.  I will be there."  He points at Thijs and Gunther.  "New guys: I need five minutes for a quick medical assessment."

As he steps aside to talk to the new recruits, he gives the sky an assessing glance, then frowns toward Konrad.  "Sorry, sir, I've got no idea what the weather's gonna do.  Patterns over the last couple of days have been all over the place."

OOC: 19 on a Meteorology check.  Forecasting fail.  How realistic!

This message was last edited by the player at 02:04, Sun 14 Oct 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1722 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 14 Oct 2012
at 02:26
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Upon the first question, Bayer holds his breath and thinks for a moment before answering, "Consider the Plock Queen to be a target of opportunity." He then clarifies, "Let's focus on one goal and not add further risk and complications to ourselves. We're here for the Baron. However she is to be considered an enemy combatant so if you have a shot you are clear to take it."

"I'm open to hearing out any arguments for something different on that matter however."
he adds while looking around the room for anyone to speak up.

Bayer then nods at Larue's vague but still appreciated met-rep, "Next time..."

This message was lightly edited by the player at 02:27, Sun 14 Oct 2012.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 22 posts
 Dutch
 Marine Commando
Sun 14 Oct 2012
at 06:17
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer addresses Thijs, "You know the town, the inhabited sections, and the defensive strongpoints. You're the guide." Bayer then hands him his map and taping his watch, adds, "Find me a route in and get back to me in ten minutes."


"Where to, Boss?  I suppose it all depends on how much of a hike we want to take.  If the bridge south of the cathedral is intact, taking route 62 is a possibility.  The problem with that is the western machinegun post is likely to be keeping an eye on the stretch directly across the river.  The only real alternative I can see is looping around to the north and skirting the eastern edge of the toxic zone."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1723 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 14 Oct 2012
at 06:33
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Thijs van Lincklaen:
"Where to, Boss?  I suppose it all depends on how much of a hike we want to take.  If the bridge south of the cathedral is intact, taking route 62 is a possibility.  The problem with that is the western machinegun post is likely to be keeping an eye on the stretch directly across the river.  The only real alternative I can see is looping around to the north and skirting the eastern edge of the toxic zone."


"Right to the cathedral." Bayer answers.

"No... it can't be a bridge or any kind of choke point." he continues. "And away from the river since that is where our diversion will be drawing their forces."

Then when the Marine mentions the north as the best alternative, Bayer glances at the map and says, "Is there much population on that route? I want us to keep to the uninhabited zones as much as possible... at least until we're close to the cathedral. You can guide us in there? From the north?"
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 470 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Sun 14 Oct 2012
at 06:48
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Jeff nods. "I agree that we stay away from the water and time.our assault until we can figure he is immobile. When we get close have a scout or one of the new guys go ahead to confirm. I will check with my handler in a moment, but first, what is the plan if one team is pinned? Do the others bypass to get to objective before he escapes, or do we help out? Is the Baron kill on sight? "

Jeff hears the answers and then observes the brief for a few more moments before ducking out and heading to the location of the strongest radio onboard.  He clears the room, using his icy presence for maximum effect, then fiddles with the nobs and transmits on a secure and private frequency.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 20:14, Sun 14 Oct 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2913 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 14 Oct 2012
at 13:39
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Konrad Bayer:
He then turns to Dawid, and says, "You're the best gunner. I need you on the gun. Gunther will assist. I know it's not the same as putting a bullet in the Baron's head personally, but you're far more valuable to make killing the Baron possible being here on the mortar." He knew it wasn't exactly what Dawid preferred this time around, but hoped he saw his reason. Bayer also wasn't entirely comfortable leaving their heaviest firepower in the hands of the newest members yet - not without at least one trial by fire as part of the Kommandos.


Dawid nodded. "No questions, sir. I agree with everything you say. It would be more satisfying to do it personally, but if my brothers and sisters pervail, it will feel the same."


OOC: Sorry for the quick post, not a lot of time but wanted you to know Dawid is on board literally and figuratively.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1369 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 14 Oct 2012
at 13:56
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
"We get close enough to where we can make best use of the RPG, my two-oh-three, and whatever secret weapon Warren has up his sleeve and we pummel the area with explosive fire where we think the Baron is.  Once that's over, we cause as much trouble as we can, using the cover of the Queen and we get the hell out of there.

I think we should avoid whatever we can going in and out of the target area.  Gives us the bigger chance of success going in and avoids problems with the kids to a minimum, we hope.  Hopefully, the training they got was from our new crew members wasn't completed or was somewhat lacking!  No offense gentlemen to your training skills but, we're hoping that the kids were not the best students and we can use that to our advantage now,"
Robert says as he addresses the two new guys from Plock.

With a smile, he does add the following comment, "If you're going to stay with us, I'm sure you'll bring your A-Game!  I think you'll have a more receptive crowd!"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 678 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 14 Oct 2012
at 14:04
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Griet looked over the personnel that she had left on board and made her dispositions, "Dawid, can you check that this is the best deployment of the crew, please?" she asked the non-com expecting his advice, "You and Gunther are on the mortar. I suggest that MacClurg mans one Dushka and that Tadeuz mans the other, he's not great, but pretty much all we've got. Kellerman will act as damage control but initially man the stern guns. Connolly will be with me manning the comms as I steer and everyone else will service the engine. Does that sound acceptable?"
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1098 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 14 Oct 2012
at 14:07
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Mariusz looked over his kit as he listened to the plans. He stripped out his webbing and loaded the magazines and grenades into his assault vest. He slid the 40mm grenades into the pockets on the belt below the vest and then checked his M1911.

He looked around and then clipped a few smoke grenades to his vest, his team would have the RPG so he knew that he had to get his load down so that he could carry his share of the rockets.
Minh Quyen
 player, 652 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 14 Oct 2012
at 15:53
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
"No questions." Quyen says simply.

When the orders meeting is over Quyen will move into the armory. There she will top up her magazines and issue herself two more frag grenades. (OOC - taking 23 5.45mm and 2 M67 Frag) She will then throw on her aididas track jacket and grab her small pack that contained what little explosives she has left.

Quyen will then wait outside on the deck chain smoking until it is time to land ashore.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:47, Sun 14 Oct 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1724 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 14 Oct 2012
at 16:01
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Jeff D. Warren:
Jeff nods. "...what is the plan if one team is pinned? Do the others bypass to get to objective before he escapes, or do we help out? Is the Baron kill on sight? "


"With our small size and need for mutual support, I expect that anything that might happen to one group will also affect the other. So if we run into trouble, we'll be hitting back as with everything we have to break through as one." Bayer answers the first question. "If he's in surgery, he won't be easily moved."

"Yes." he says simply to the second.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1370 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 14 Oct 2012
at 16:24
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Minh Quyen:
"No questions." Quyen says simply.

Ferro will then wait outside on the deck chain smoking until it is time to land ashore.

OOC: LOL!  I thought Ferro was inspecting her Kevlar Vest????
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1393 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 14 Oct 2012
at 16:48
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Konrad Bayer:
"Jan will take One Section, along with Lt.Sutherland, Quyen, and Thijs. Ensure your section carries the PKM machine gun."

"Yes Capitaine," Jan had replied before gathering Craig, Quyen and one of the new guys Thijs around him for a quick discussion.

"OK," he said to the three of them, "Quyen, I want you to take the PKM that Konrad wants us to bring and that means that you need to switch out your AK again for it.  We have to leave some ammo on the boat so if you take the two box mags for it I will carry a spare belt as well for you giving us three hundred rounds in total.  Does that sound ok to you?"

OOC – ok we will take the following from the stores:
Quyen - PKM x1, 100 rnd box mag for PKM x2, 100 rnd 7.62mmR belt x2
Jan - 100 rnd 7.62mmR belt x1


Once that was agreed Jan unfurled a rolled up bundle that had been under his arm.  "Quyen, I know that this is going to be a bit big for you but until we find or trade for a combat jacket that fits you do you want to borrow one of my spares?  I had a load of spare clothes back here on the boat and I've been meaning to get one out for you."

The bundle turned out to be an American issue woodland pattern BDU combat jacket, size Large, and he offered it to Quyen to try on.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:51, Mon 15 Oct 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2641 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 14 Oct 2012
at 20:29
Re: Return to Witch Mountain

Warren receives a response from Johnstone, its content a secret until such time as the CIA operate chooses to share.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:41, Sun 14 Oct 2012.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 472 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Sun 14 Oct 2012
at 22:56
Re: Return to Witch Mountain


Jeff secures the receiver and resets the frequency. Satisfied that no one will be able to deduce the secure line, he returns to the briefing.

"Our friends up river believe that the Baron has at most 40 men loyal to him, but that doesn't mean they're all in his entourage. No word on armored support, but it seems like most working vehicles are in friendly hands, not his. That being said, we can't expect any direct help. They're ah, busy."
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 26 posts
 Dutch
 Marine Commando
Mon 15 Oct 2012
at 01:05
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Konrad Bayer:
Then when the Marine mentions the north as the best alternative, Bayer glances at the map and says, "Is there much population on that route? I want us to keep to the uninhabited zones as much as possible... at least until we're close to the cathedral. You can guide us in there? From the north?"

"No, there is not much population to the north, especially in the area of the remains of the chemical plant.  The area to the east of that toxic zone is probably our best bet.  We may want to give the zone a fairly wide berth, at least half the distance between it," Thijs indicated on the map the edge of the zone, "and the nearest outpost, here," he said, pointing at that location.  "Moving any closer than that," he added, "without chemical protection would be unwise, particularly with a northwesterly wind, as we have now.  One advantage we would have is that outpost is not very popular with the boys because of its proximity to the toxic zone.  From what I know of them, the ones posted there are likely to be less than vigilant; it tends to be used as a punishment detail.  Combine that with the light overcast and cold weather expected, and we have a good chance at slipping through.  It could possibly snow in the next couple of days, but probably not soon enough to further cover our approach."

van Lincklaen was not particularly happy about skirting the edge of the toxic zone, especially since his own chemical defense suit was still in Plock, but it was the best way he could see to sneak into town.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 473 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Mon 15 Oct 2012
at 01:20
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
"What sort of warning systems do these outposts have? Is there a QRF or anything similar? You must have had an idea something was up in terms of the Barons visit, even if you didn't know the details. What extra preparations can we expect? "

These last questions are directed in a detached and flat tone to the newcomers.
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 28 posts
 Dutch
 Marine Commando
Mon 15 Oct 2012
at 04:01
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Jeff D. Warren:
"What sort of warning systems do these outposts have? Is there a QRF or anything similar? You must have had an idea something was up in terms of the Barons visit, even if you didn't know the details. What extra preparations can we expect? "


"Gunshots serve as the basic warning should newcomers fail to follow directions at the checkpoints," Thijs replied.  He then continued, "They also utilise runners.  Some use bicycles; others have scoooters or motorcycles.  All I heard was that Warsaw's strongman was on his way with some of his men. The men were to stay in the lower town (NE of Tum Hill) and the "Baron" was going to be a guest of the Queen.  My guess is that a company or two of boys will be detailed to keep a watch on the Baron's men in the