Ch. 18-1: Plock.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 688 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 8 Nov 2012
at 18:58
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Griet kept the tug moving forward, "Dawid," she said, "if the mortars start up I want the gloves to come off: you may want to switch to HE to avoid fires, but I'd rather not have the tug hit by fire."

Personally she didn't give a monkey's chuff about the cathedral, Plock or any of the beastly children that populated it: she'd see them all dead and burned before she saw a chip of paint on her boat. Poland might be dead but the Queen was her world now and she wouldn't sacrifice anything for it. She admired Dawid's principals and understood his wishes to save lives but when the crunch came the Queen was her first, last and middle priority.
Gunther Scholz
 player, 45 posts
 East German
 Tanker
Thu 8 Nov 2012
at 19:25
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg # 676):

Gunther Scholz listened to Griet on the Queen's loudspeaker, nodding along in seeming agreement with every word.

"What she say?" Gunther asked Dawid, showing that he didn't understand any of it.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 420 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Thu 8 Nov 2012
at 23:13
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Jay readied himself to move on.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 488 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Fri 9 Nov 2012
at 22:44
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Squinting into his scope, trying to sort out any kind of details on the hill, Jeff replies "Shadows make it too hard to tell.  I need a night sight for this.  There's definitely movement though.  Think the tug has their attention."

Jeff continues to scan the hill with his scope until the time comes to move out.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2663 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 9 Nov 2012
at 23:37
Re: Return to Witch Mountain

As the tug draws closer to the town, tiny, strobing, yellow and orange lights begin to appear along the riverbank and on the near face of Tum Hill. Soon, the pop-pop-popping of small arms fire can be heard over the rush of water and machinery noises that envelop the Krolowa whenever she is under way. McClurg begins to return fire on the shoreline but his shooting doesn't seem to be terribly effective- LaRue has several times attested to McClurg's skill numerous at engaging targets from a movement platform with a machinegun, so his current poor form is somewhat puzzling. Perhaps he's having a hard time shooting directly at kids, even angry shooting ones Little splashes appear on the surface of the river near the tug as the juvenile defenders of Plock try to find the range. Bullets ping off of the hull and superstructure, in widely-spaced ones and twos at first, but then with a steadily increasing frequency. (-100 12.7mm rounds)

Accompanied by a roaring boom, a 20-meter tall tower of white water, visible even in the dark, suddenly emerges from the river about 40m from the tug's 8-o'clock. Plock's mortar team has just joined the battle. When the tug is about 500m (as the crow flies) from the cathedral, a heavy machinegun opens up, its huge muzzle flash giving away its position at the western edge of the hilltop. Even the tug's thick hide might not be able to completely stop the 12.7mm machinegun's plunging fire, especially if it's being fed armor-piercing rounds...




Someone continues to strike a bell somewhere up on the hill. The assault team pushes hard towards the castle, counting on their night vision capabilities and the Queen's diversion (well under way, at this point) to help them avoid a meeting engagement on the way to the target. Most Plockites in this part of town are staying in doors. At a distance, the assault group notices a small party of armed kids running ahead of them towards the hill. The others continue quickly on their way, apparently having failed to notice the approaching the assault group, so the interlopers keep moving towards their objective. As they pass by an occupied apartment building, someone shouts down from an open but unlit third story window,

"Hey, you know what's going on?"

The sound of gunfire is increasing exponentially with every passing minute. The distinctive sound of a mortar firing- tubing, in American military parlance- adds a bass accent to the clatter. The rolling boom of an incoming round reverberates down the apartment-lined street. A couple of unarmed adults are standing in the road up ahead, likely discussing the possibly nature of this latest crisis to visit Plock. They shrink back as the assault team trots past, but make no attempt to hail or stop the party. These civilians likely have no idea who these people are, but they know enough to realize that armed men (and a woman) moving with purpose are to be avoided whenever possible.

The assault team reaches the foot of the slope leading up to the cathedral complex. Thijs has guided them directly to the front gate, stopping the party at the corner of what used to be a rather impressive old building of some sort. From this position, as long as they take care, the assaulters can obeserve the main entrance to the hilltop complex without being seen themselves. A group of at least 20 boys nervously mill around a roadblock a little over 100m to the southeast, across an open, grassy square. The position is a somewhat haphazzard collection of sandbags and timber built up around the burnt out shell of a city bus, with a few 50-gallon drums serving as outliers. A machinegun of some sort is set up on an elevated platform atop the bus hulk. The area is relatively well lit by a trio of lanterns. The boys look rather jumpy and it's clear that some of them would rather be joining the fight from the crest of the hill rather than manning a checkpoint. From their current vantage point, the assault team can either attack the roadblock, or circumvent it altogether, by backtracking a bit and cutting soutwest, to the western end of Tum Hill.

The sound of gunfire is ever present now. It seems to drown out all other sounds- voices, labored breathing, boots impacted the cobbles. Looking up the "castle", the assaulters can see huge anthropomorphic shadows cast by flickering muzzle flashes dancing a macabre death jig on the facing wall. A large caliber machine gun has opened up, presumably on the Krolowa.


Updated Tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.009709,0.033023


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:28, Sat 10 Nov 2012.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 689 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 10 Nov 2012
at 10:39
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Griet winced at the thought of large bullets pinging around near the boilers of the Queen. She was also concerned that they were running out of Plock, it was time to start manouvering.

She keyed the engine room and said, "Stand by for manouvres."

Griet looked out of the bridge window and called, "Mr. McClurg, I'll be swinging the Queen around after we have passed the defences but before we reach the bridge. As I do I'll hold her in position for a few moments to allow both Dushkas to rake the banks. I would then like you to switch with the other gunner so your skills are still in use. I would appreciate one of the enemy guns being out of action by then."

She focussed back on the wheel and used the intercom to Dawid, "I intend to turn before the bridge. It won't affect your fire much but I'll make you aware before the execution."

The tug kept moving forward into the hail of fire, 'With luck,' she thought, 'Dawid would be able to get rid of the enemy mortar before it turned the Queen into a charnel house.'

Griet (Bridge of the Queen)
Present actions: Ordering people (She loves that)
Intended Actions:
1) Move Queen past the guns but not as far as the bridge
2) Turn before the bridge and pause momentarily to let both guns fire at any remaining HMGs
3) Move back downstream past the defences again
4) Repeat drive by shooting until destroyed or other circumstances occur

Craig Sutherland
 player, 566 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 11 Nov 2012
at 03:32
Re: Return to Witch Mountain


With his High Power re-holstered Craig checked his G3 as they continued to move towards their target.

Once they stopped and had begun studying the causeway Craig found somewhere with good cover and view and began identifying targets. He would have liked to find somewhere with a bit of height, but will wait for a plan to be devised before finding somewhere better.

With the bipod deployed Craig made a list in his head with the MG as his primary target, then radio operators and NCO's.

Then he waited for the plan of attack. He identified the targets loud enough for those close to him to hear.

Craig Sutherland
Waiting for a plan


HK G3SG/1 (w/ Zeiss 1.5-6 x 42 mm Telescopic Sight)[20/20] w/14 magazines
Browning HP-35 (w/ silencer) [20/20] w/2 magazines
HK-69 Grenade Launcher [1/1HE] 40mmN HE x10, 40mmN ILLUM grenade x2, 40mmN CHEM (CS) grenade x2
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2933 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sun 11 Nov 2012
at 06:35
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Griet Niewiadomska:
She focussed back on the wheel and used the intercom to Dawid, "I intend to turn before the bridge. It won't affect your fire much but I'll make you aware before the execution."

The tug kept moving forward into the hail of fire, 'With luck,' she thought, 'Dawid would be able to get rid of the enemy mortar before it turned the Queen into a charnel house.'


"Understood. Will fire a couple rounds of phosphor to smoke the hill in. Then anti-armour (HEDP) to take out anyone who still challenges us further."

As the rounds came in he made sure he and Gunther were as well-protected as possible behind the gunshield and sandbag revetment, including their body armour and helmets. It probably wouldn't be enough to stop a direct hit by 12.7mm incoming fire but shrapnel shouldn't be too much of a threat.

He gave Gunther his binoculars.

"Gunther, try to spot the mortar positions. Good, let's give them two phosphor, then reload with five rounds of anti-armour!"

"Firing!"


Dawid
82mm Vasilek (2/5 WP + 5x HEDP)
Forward gun tub
Firing 2 aimed shots 100m west and 100m SW of defensive positions (HMG bunkers) on Tum Hill

This message was last edited by the player at 06:36, Sun 11 Nov 2012.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 421 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sun 11 Nov 2012
at 08:51
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
As the volume of background firing increased, Jay concentrated on his surroundings. He was aware that a new threat could emerge at any time, and he kept his rifle tucked into his shoulder, ready to use.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1416 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 11 Nov 2012
at 21:55
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
As they observed the checkpoint at the main entrance to the Cathedral complex Jan hissed quietly to Thijs.

"Is this the only way inside?  Can we bypass this position and enter elsewhere?  Also where is the bell that is being rung?  Could we use that to hide the sound of our approach?"

Regardless of not really wanting to shoot a load of kids taking out the checkpoint would take time and delay their assault, probably giving the Baron a lot of time to flee.  That prompted another thought to Jan and therefore another question for Thijs.

"Also where would the Baron's troops be housed and what route would he take to get from the Cathedral to there?  We should try to enter that way to cut off his route out as well."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1389 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 11 Nov 2012
at 22:06
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Keeping it simple. Tucker relies on his skill with his suppressed pistol as his main weapon for now and follows to where the spot to set up their ambush.  He will transition to his rifle when they get to the kick-off point of their mission.

OOC: Should be up to regular posting by Monday or Tuesday

This message was last edited by the player at 14:10, Tue 13 Nov 2012.

Daniel Larue
 player, 193 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Mon 12 Nov 2012
at 00:23
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Danny takes a knee near the best available cover and starts scanning nearby rooftops and upper-story windows with his NVGs.

Danny
Winona [30/30 + 5 magazines] - ready, on SEMI
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest
AN/PVS-7 NVGs - helmet-mounted, in use

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1106 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 12 Nov 2012
at 16:40
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Mariusz had an idea itching in the back of his mind. He didn't know why but he remembered watching a western film by the spy writer that had invented James Bond. It was a silly little fantasy about a wrecked old shitty banger or something. He remembered being terrified by a man with a pointy nose and a net as well as laughing at an American who obviously couldn't do an English accent.

Slowly an idea formed in his mind, he sidled up to Bayer and said, "Sir, I know this sounds totally stupid but why don't we ask an adult either for help or if they know a way in. We could help them free their children from the wicked Queen and her consort."

He looked around to see if he could find a friendly toy-maker to aid their quest as a faint tune echoed in his head, "Truly scrumptious, you're truly, truly scrumptious..."
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 46 posts
 Dutch
 Marine Commando
Mon 12 Nov 2012
at 16:49
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Jan Cerny:
"Is this the only way inside?  Can we bypass this position and enter elsewhere?  Also where is the bell that is being rung?  Could we use that to hide the sound of our approach?"

"Also where would the Baron's troops be housed and what route would he take to get from the Cathedral to there?  We should try to enter that way to cut off his route out as well."

Thijs motioned for Jan to follow him and moved to join Konrad before whispering back, "We could go southwest about as far as the old Hotel, and approach from that direction.  We may encounter a few people along the way, but they would be likely to be distracted by the water-borne diversion.  The bell is in the cathedral.  If it were still mounted properly, it would be much louder.  Now, someone simply strikes it with a mallet.  It might not be loud enough to completely cover our approach."

He considered the last question for a moment, then added, "As for the Baron's men, we have been told they are in the lower town, to the northeast of the hill.  I have no idea exactly where, or how close to the cathedral they are most likely to be."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1742 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 14 Nov 2012
at 07:25
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Bayer moves over with Jan and Thijs, and nods in the darkness towards the southwest, "Take us that way. Around the side."

Then as the group presses on, Bayer toggles the transmit switch on his radio and says, "Queen. Sunray. Fire mission... get one of your machineguns to target the top of the castle. Do not engage low targets west or southwest of the objective at this point unless confirm as a threat. Check with me first. Everything else is open. Over."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1417 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 14 Nov 2012
at 17:31
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer moves over with Jan and Thijs, and nods in the darkness towards the southwest, "Take us that way. Around the side."

"Oui mon Capitaine," replied Jan before moving out with his section on the route Konrad had indicated, relying on Thijs to ensure that they kept to the correct path.  He had his SMG ready to deal with anyone they encountered, intending to prolong the silent side of their assault for as long as possible.


Jan
Leading everyone on the route that Konrad has selected
PM-84 SMG with Suppressor (25/25 - 25rnd mag x4) - carried
AK-74 Assault Rifle (30/30 - 30rnd mag x11) - slung over shoulder
BG-15 Grenade Launcher (1/1 HE - HE x19) - underslung on AK-74
P226 Pistol (15/15 - 15rnd mag x4) - holster
M72A4 LAW - slung over shoulder
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch
AN/PVS-5 NVGs - worn

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2670 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 15 Nov 2012
at 02:24
Re: Return to Witch Mountain

Dawid targets the HMG position on the west side of Tum Hill- not directly- attempting to place a WP round close enough to it to screen the Krolowa from sight, and perhaps chase the crew off for a bit. The Vasilek kicks as it sends a mortar bomb downrange. A second or so later, a brilliant burst of white-hot sparks errupts about 50m short of the machinegun nest, raising a curtain of thick white smoke between the tug and the enemy gunners.

A boom reverberates up through the Krolowa's sturdy hull- another miss from the Plockite's 82mm mortar. No geyser is visible from the bridge, Dishka mounts, or bows, so the round probably landed somewhere in the tug's wake (literally).

McClurg blasts away at the hilltop from the port HMG mount, saturating it with 12.7mm rounds. Return fire continues to ping off of the tug's steel hide. It's an almost constant clatter now. Considering the volume of incoming fire, it's a minor miracle that no one has been hit yet. At least the western HMG is no longer firing at the tug.

The Wilsa Krolowa presses boldly forward, bringing the far HMG position at the east end of Tum Hill across the muzzle of the waiting Vasilek. Dawid fires the third WP round of the evening. It explodes in a brilliant burst of sparks about 150m short of the bunker. The cascade of burning particles falls on a couple of nearby fighting positions, instantly neutralizing them. (-2 82mm WP rounds)

The whole scene is strangely beautiful. Green tracers criss-cross the river, chased by their reflections in the dark water below. Tiny muzzle flashes strobe all over the dark mass of Tum Hill, lighting it up like a short-circuiting Christmas tree. Bursting WP showers its flanks with streamers of white light and glowing smoke. The scene calls to mind civilian fireworks displays from pleasant holidays past, however, this time, the viewers don't need to strain their necks looking skyward- the pyrotechnics are happening right there before their eyes.

Gunther, purposefully looking through Dawid's binoculars propped on the top of the gun shield, points to the midpoint of Tum Hill's long crest and shouts,

"I think I see..."

Gunther's report is cut short; the binoculars shatter in his hand and the German's face caves in. He slumps back and hits the cold deck with a wet thud, quite clearly dead before he even started to fall. His final act, however, has revealed the likely location of the Plockites' mortar.(Gunther KIA; Dawid -1 pair binoculars)




The assault team studies the roadblock leading up to the cathedral and weighs its options. A few green tracers streak over the cathedral's jagged roof, burning out as they race off to the north. After a brief impromptu conference, Konrad orders Thijs to take the less direct route, doubling back, cutting southwest towards the river, and then east up the western slope of the hill. The hill is enveloped in the sounds of battle; the constant din pummels the mind and body. Thijs and the point element lead the rest of the assault team on the circuitous but lightly guarded approach. For a minute or two, the hill is out of sight, screened by the battered remains of a large, once grand old building. Turning the corner, they push southeast, in the shadow of a longer, even more badly damaged building overlooking the river. Muzzle flashes dart out from its more of less intact upper floor windows above the assaulters but the fire is all directed towards the tug, now visible to the south. The group moves southeast toward the cathedral compound. Ahead of them, not quite 50m away, are several simple fighting holes, at least three of which appear to be occupied at the moment. The young occupants' attention, however, is held by the tug. Less than 50m past the furthest fighting hole is the western Dishka position. A cloud of white smoke still lingers to the west, its fading tendrils reaching out towards the HMG, which, as the assaulters study the position, resumes firing. The gunners are tracking the tug, which is moving away upriver, so the defenders ahead of Thijs and Jan and the others are slowly turning their backs on the unseen threat posed by the as-yet unnoticed assault team.




The tug passes the first HMG position, which McClurg doses with fire as a preventative, and continues on parallel to the crest of the hill. As the tug passes the second WP smoke cloud, the second (E) HMG opens up. After a short burst, it inexplicably stops firing. McClurg hoses it down anyway. When the tug reaches the waypoint Griet picked out for the turn, she adjusts the thrusters and pulls the wheel hard over. The tug leans to starboard as it turns on its axis, pushing out a broad wave with its slab-sided metal flank. Dawid, now operating the Vasilek entirely on his own, reloads its clip with the last few HEDP rounds, the tug's heaviest remaining anti-armor ammunition, while the tug makes its hard turn. As McClurg hammers the shore with heavy machinegun fire, the Plock mortarmen score a miracle hit on the elusive target. An 82mm HE round explodes against the tug's port side gunwhale, pounding the port side Dishka position with blast and shrapnel. It instantly falls silent. McClurg is no longer visible from the lower deck or from inside the buttoned-down bridge. The Dishka's long, still-smoking barrel is now pointing skyward. (-200 rounds 12.7mm)


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.010101,0.033023


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:07, Thu 15 Nov 2012.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 48 posts
 Dutch
 Marine Commando
Thu 15 Nov 2012
at 06:25
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Thijs led the assault group toward the real Castle of Plock -- the bombed-out Castle of the Mezovian Princes -- skirting to the north of the ruins.  Anybody in what is now used by the children of Plock as a hangout or playground is likely to be paying attention to the south and the river.  He keeps the group in the shadows of the north wsll, hoping the glare from the firefight to the south will help hide them from the checkpoint less than 100 meters to the north.  The trickiest part was going to be rounding the corner of the building onto Tomska and moving between the ruins and the old monastery and museum being used as a barracks.  If their intel, was correct, however, the boys normally housed there were off the hill.

Thijs
Quietly guiding the assault group
C7A1 LSW [90/90 +(6x30, 1x90)]
Browning HP 35 [13/13 +(2x13)]
no night vision

This message was last edited by the player at 06:27, Thu 15 Nov 2012.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 567 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 15 Nov 2012
at 08:41
Re: Return to Witch Mountain

With his rifle at his shoulder Craig kept the members of the machine gun team in his sights in till they where no longer visible. They where close he could feel it.

He continued to cover his sector as they moved through the rubble of the castle. He eys continued to dart along the tops of the walls looking for defenders ready to rain fire on the group as they moved up the slope.


Craig Sutherland
Climbing up slope, keeping fighting holes and MG in sights

HK G3SG/1 (w/ Zeiss 1.5-6 x 42 mm Telescopic Sight)[20/20] w/14 magazines
Browning HP-35 (w/ silencer) [20/20] w/2 magazines
Kukri
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1743 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 15 Nov 2012
at 13:35
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Bayer signals quietly for the two section commanders to keep moving on the objective. He then motions for the last pair to keep the enemy covered. As he moves up the slope he inserts a CS gas grenade into his launcher.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 691 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 15 Nov 2012
at 17:21
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Griet keyed the intercom, "Casualties on deck! Get them down to the sickbay as quickly as possible."

She turned the boat to let the hull and superstructure cover McClurge and than headed back down river.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1109 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 15 Nov 2012
at 17:21
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Mariusz made sure he had a grenade in his launcher and followed the others toward their destination.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2938 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 16 Nov 2012
at 06:34
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Griet Niewiadomska:
Griet keyed the intercom, "Casualties on deck! Get them down to the sickbay as quickly as possible."

She turned the boat to let the hull and superstructure cover McClurge and than headed back down river.


Dawid suppressed a pang of regret. He hadn't known Gunther for long but he'd thought he was an all right sort. For a German. Heck, at this rate he'd have to change his opinion about them at some point!

Shaking his head to cease the wool-gathering, he realised the shock must have stunned him a little. He dragged Guther's corpse out of the line of fire, checked to make sure he was dead, even though he already knew.

"Griet, Gunther's dead. I have anti-armour loaded. Waiting for targets to fire."

Dawid
82mm Vasilek (5/5 HEDP + 2 WP, 8 HE)
Forward gun tub
Holding Fire

Jan Cerny
 player, 1418 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 16 Nov 2012
at 12:59
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
With his silenced SMG held ready Jan indicated to his section to keep pushing forwards, trying to bypass the improvised fighting holes ahead and making for the objective.  He was pleased that the diversion seemed to be working as it meant that they hadn't taken any fire and that they hadn't had to shoot any children yet.  It was probably just a question of time though.

"Thijs," he whispered.  "Should we head south east through that ruin or go round it to the east?"
Daniel Larue
 player, 196 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Fri 16 Nov 2012
at 13:45
Re: Return to Witch Mountain
Staying close to Konrad, Danny deliberately avoids fixating on the fighting positions, trusting the rest of the assault team to handle the initial volley when it becomes necessary.  Instead, he scans the team's left flank, watching the terrain to the northwest for noncombatants or enemy reinforcements.

Danny
covering left
Winona [30/30 + 5 magazines] - ready, on SEMI
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest
AN/PVS-7 NVGs - helmet-mounted, in use