Ch. 18-1: Plock.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1045 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 26 May 2012
at 14:27
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Jesus!" Mariusz exclaimed as the log hit them. He grabbed yelled, "Try and get people out of the water."

He reached forward and tried to grab a part of the log to try and gauge its stability. If it was stable enough he intended to try and get people on to it and get them out of the killing cold of the water.

"Move it people," he urged, "we didn't get this far to get killed by a fucking tree."
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1311 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 26 May 2012
at 22:25
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz Tokarski:
He grabbed yelled, "Try and get people out of the water."

Jan had been about to go and help Craig and Quyen with the captured zodiac and any gear on it, as Dawid had instructed, when he heard someone yelling, mostly likely Mariusz from the sound of it.  The young Pole's voice had cut across the night and the persistent sound of the river and it seemed that there was another problem with the rescue team and the people in the water.  Jan therefore changed what he had been intent on doing, slung the sling of his rifle over his shoulder and moved quickly to the nearest searchlight.

He quickly turned it on and started scanning around in the direction he had heard the yells, trying to pick out the people in the water.  He was expecting to find the zodiac they had launched trying to pull Danny and Boots aboard, not the carnage that was currently unfolding unseen.

"Keep yelling!" he called out to whoever was trying to get someone out of the water.  "Keep yelling and I will point the searchlight at the people in the river!"  He hoped that their yelling would help him pick out the right spot to shine the searchlight.

As soon as he picked out the sinking zodiac Jan started yelling updates to the other people still on the Queen so that they knew what was going on as well.
Daniel Larue
 player, 111 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 27 May 2012
at 01:49
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Mariusz looks at Danny and asks, "Is there anything we can do to make the journey to the Queen better for you?"

He's so earnest that Danny can't help but chuckle, despite his concern for Boots and the spreading loss of sensation in his own extremities.  "Shit, man, thanks for comin' after us."  He leans - flops, really - over the side of the Zod and releases a racking series of coughs, expelling the last of the Vistula-flavored scum from his throat.  "Can you check Boots?  I couldn't find anything but I think she got whacked upside the head when she went in.  Try to keep her awake."

Curling into a fetal ball in an instinctive but futile attempt to retain warmth, Danny's taken completely by surprise when the boat suddenly folds up around the log.  "Oh, for fuck's sake," he groans disgustedly, struggling into a sitting position.  "Get ready to go for the shore, guys.  We don't wanna get carried any farther downstream..."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:24, Sun 27 May 2012.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1049 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 27 May 2012
at 06:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Over here!" Mariusz shouted again.

"Everyone, keep yelling!"

Mariusz looked at the situation, his mind racing. They had three casualties unlikely to be able to help themselves in the water and the zodiac had lost its integrity and was taking on filthy, near freezing water. They were fifty meters from shore, too far to get the casualties safe, and the tug was at least thirty minutes away from being of any use to them.

"Tucker," he said, "I'll try to start the engine. If it works use it to push us as close to shore as we can. Don't try to disengage from the log, just push it along, the closer we get to shore, the more we'll save."

He pointed to port to show Tucker the bank he was aiming for and then grabbed the pull string. He closed his eyes and whispered a prayer, "Holy Saint Brendan, be with me in my hour of need, let me get your Lambs safe on the shore, Amen."

He kept his wrist rigid to keep the pull smooth and fluid and bunched hie arm muscles. He held the motor firmly with his left hand and then pulled hard with his left, flicking his elbow out.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1284 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 27 May 2012
at 06:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Tucker was going to try and steer and get them closer to the shoreline so the swim isn't so bad for them and the bank hopefully will be reachable in this cold water, however, the zodiac is too badly damaged to try anything especially with the motor out of the water.  He then yells over to Jay, "Hold on to that flashlight Jay.  Either try and start to try and signal them with it now or try if we make it to shore."  Robert reaches down to his holster and draws out the H&K pistol and fires three [3] rounds into the air and then resecures the pistol back in it's holster hoping the sounds will help give the people on the boat a direction to look for them.

TUCKER
H&K Mk23 SOCOM [9/12]

Trying to get Zodiac closer to shore and fire off three distress shots to mark their location.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:06, Mon 28 May 2012.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 622 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 27 May 2012
at 06:10
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet heard the fuss on the prow and slowly realised that the rescue attempt had gone horribly long. She grabbed the intercom and said, "Griet to engine room. The zodiac is in trouble and we need power as soon as possible, get it done!"

"Will do Captain," Josef replied, "the engines will be on line in thirty minutes."

"We need it in fifteen," Griet urged.

"I'll give it all I've got, Captain," Josef grumbled, "but you can't alter the laws of Thermo-Dynamics. It'll take thirty minutes to make steam."

"Do what you can Chief."

"Griet to Sloeblume," she continued, "prepare for multiple severe cold casualties: everything's gone tits up."

She ran to the weather deck and yelled to Bayer, "We won't be able to move under power for at least thirty minutes! Drifting is too risky but we could gain a little mobility by kedging, swinging from anchor to anchor. It's a very risky tactic given our lack of power. It could gain us five to ten minutes when we get power or we could lose an anchor and start drifting ourselves but it's an option."
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 316 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sun 27 May 2012
at 12:25
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Boom!

Jay never saw the log, but the impact threw him forward violently. He smashed his face into something hard, and his world swam. A warm stickiness spewed over his face. His own blood, probably, but this was not the time for a detailed check. The sudden movement coupled with the stunned head tipped him over the side, and he spilled into the cold black water.

For a few seconds he sunk under the water, before the cold water revived him enough for him to realise what had happened and fight back. He kicked out, swimming back to what he hoped was the surface. He broke above the water and gasped, before being dragged back under by the current. Struggling further he broke the surface again, and managed to stay up, he glanced around, blood and dirty river water in his eyes. He couldn't see any of the others from the Zodiac, or the Queen.

He knew he had to move quickly. He was no Olympian, but he could swim okay. He let the current take him and kicked sideways towards what he thought was the nearest bank. Which side it was, he didn't know, but he had to get out of the water.

The cold water clawed at him, trying to sap his strength and will him to give up and let go on life. He resisted, gasping for breath every time his head broke the surface. He wanted to shout, but couldn't find a voice.

Determined to live, he struggled towards the bank...
Craig Sutherland
 player, 510 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 27 May 2012
at 22:14
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

As the alarm was raised Craig was half way to the pirate inflatable. He turned on the spot and was momentarily struck impotent unable to make the correct or any decision.

He saw and heard the others franticly trying to help, should he grab a rope, did he find a life ring, was there another small craft. It was Warren on top of the wheel house that finally spurned him into action. He joined him on the wheel house and grabbed the HK-69. Breaking it open he quickly checked the grenade was the correct one before taking a knee.

Muzzle pointed into the sky over were he thought the Zodiac and it stricken crew were located. He did a silent count down from three before pulling the trigger sending the Para flare into the evening sky.

Once it was away he spoke to Warren;

"We have people in the water any suggestions ?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2775 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Mon 28 May 2012
at 04:35
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Craig Sutherland (msg #133):

As Warren seemed to have the lookout duty covered, so Dawid made his way over to where Sutherland was located.

"If we don't have another boat to send, then they are on their own until we can throw them a line or someone else volunteers to dive in like Jason. Help me get the pirates' Zodiac on board, even if it's in poor shape."

He looked around for more safety or rescue equipment.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 417 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Mon 28 May 2012
at 22:57
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"That PJ was our best swimmer and rescuer.  Anyone else who jumps in will be just as dead as the pirates."  this last point is punctuated by the large pistol still strapped to Warren's leg he used to execute the wounded.

"Flare is a good idea though for what its worth.  Except anyone who somehow missed the gunfight will now head this way."

Almost bored he adds as he picks up his binoculars when the flare ignites.  "For me, I'll be watching the shore.  Make sure those guys don't drown.  The PJ is a better doc than that woman and her questions."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2776 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 29 May 2012
at 08:44
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Jeff D. Warren (msg #135):

"I agree on all accounts. Let's not fret more about what we can't change. Come, Warren and McClurg are covering watch duty."

"EVERYONE! If we make contact with hostiles, battle stations as follows: Warren in crow's nest, Nguyen, McClurg and Sutherland at the MGs they were manning before. Kel, please assist me with the Vasilek, Jan you're with the Kapitan."

"When the raft come in, Jan and Kel assist Dr. Solleblum. Let's not everyone go running down to assist, they'll call for additional help as needed."


Dawid started giving Craig and Minh a hand with recovering the zodiac.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1638 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 29 May 2012
at 23:26
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
She ran to the weather deck and yelled to Bayer, "We won't be able to move under power for at least thirty minutes! Drifting is too risky but we could gain a little mobility by kedging, swinging from anchor to anchor. It's a very risky tactic given our lack of power. It could gain us five to ten minutes when we get power or we could lose an anchor and start drifting ourselves but it's an option."


Bayer curses quietly to himself, noting that he could see his breath in the cold night, which made his heart sink further. He never thought the tree was going to end up being a threat to his men and regretted not realizing that he needed to warn Robert. He was a panzergrenadier captain... not a man of the water or boats.

He then waves back at Griet and responds flatly, "Do it." He then sighs and thinks to himself, I'm glad you are here...

Bayer will remain on the bridge, ready to put himself or others to use once the boat got a little closer to the men in the water or the shore.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2536 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 30 May 2012
at 03:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

The Zodiac, shipping water and impaled on the jagged root cluster of the floating log, is carried further from the Queen. There's not much that the small boat crew can do now but hold on and hope for the best. Tucker fires three shots in the air in order to make clear the recue crew's plight. (Tucker -3 rounds)

A parachute flare pops to life overhead, illuminating the area in its dancing light. Those on board the tug can now see the rescue party- now in need of rescuing themselves- as it drifts away on the current. Below decks, the tug crew works feverishly to work up a head of steam, shovelling heaps of coal into the firebox while on the main deck, x & y raise the rear anchor in preparation for an attempt at kedging downriver. (Craig -1 paraflare)

Mariusz'a attempt to restart the Zodiac's outboard meets with success. The engine roars to life and Tucker, as instructed, dips the propeller back into the water, pulling the tiller hard over. It takes a few seconds for the propeller to gain traction before the log starts moving towards the western shore. The Zodiac, although impaled on the tree's jagged roots and badly damaged, no longer appears in danger of sinking. It's with this reassuring observation that the boat crew realizes that they are one short- Jay is no longer aboard.

Jay, alone and in the river, stuggles to reorient himself and stay afloat. Fortunately, he's not wearing any body armor, so, although his boots and other gear are dragging him down, he can keep his head above water. For a few long seconds he knows only that he's in the frigid Vistula. As be bobs along, he catches several glimpses of the lit tug, but he's not sure which direction the near shore is in. Then the parachute flare ignites overhead. He spots the dark outline of the near bank and immediately starts kicking towards it.

On board the tug, several Kommando's haul the pirates Zodiac on board. It has no engine- only oars- and is riddled with bullet, shot, and shrapnel holes. It's clearly not in proper floating condition. Others keep the drifting rescue party under observation as it creeps closer to the east bank of the river. The flare Craig launched is descending rapidly and soon it will land in the river between the tug and the log-impaled Zodiac.

The Zodiac slows as its bottom drags against the muddy riverbed just a few meters from dry land. The massive log continues to push it along, but at a much slower pace now. With the friction of the dragging rubber boat slowing the tree's leading end and acting as a pivot, the far end of the tree swings out into the current and away from the boat. In effect, the tree acts like a pole-vaulter's vaulting pole. Aware that the impaled Zodiac might be ripped from the shallows by the pull of the continuing tree, the rescue crew scrambles off the doomed inflatable boat, grabbing as much gear as they can. Almost as soon as the last person debarks, the Zodiac is pulled out of the shallows and away, disappearing into the darkness.

As the rescue party- sans Jay- struggles to get to solid ground, they fail to notice a group of armed men and boys watching them from the low bank. When Tucker finally spots them, it's too late. He counts no less than ten silhouettes forming an arc around riverbank. They've got their guns drawn and the small, wet, shivering boat crew in their sights.

"Hands up! Get your motherfucking hands up right now!"

Anyone on board the tug using any sort of vision enhancement device sees this much before the para-flare sinks, sputtering, into the river. At this point, the surrounding area sinks back into darkness, and nothing more that follows can be seen.

Jay, lies on his back on the muddy riverbank, gasping for breath. He's shivering and exhausted and his nose is clogged with snot and blood. Over the pounding in his temples he hears someone yelling in what he's pretty sure is Polish- he doesn't recognize the voice, though. He's lost his rifle but he's still got his Khukri.


Turn Summary: The party is now split. Tucker, Mariusz, LaRue, and Connolly are now on the west bank, under the guns of a group of at least 10 strangers.

Jay is about 50m upriver from them. He doesn't see anyone in his immediate vicinity.

The tug is probably 20m away from getting underway. In the meantime, it will kedge downriver, slowly closing the distance to the marooned rescue party. Those on board the tug can no longer see what's going on on the shore.


Updated Tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.166576,0.528374


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:15, Wed 30 May 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2777 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Wed 30 May 2012
at 09:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid was disappointed when he saw the raft had no engine. That would have been nice, but they'd take what they could get. If the bullet holes couldn't be fixed, then maybe it could be used to patch the other boat.

"Okay, everyone, back to your battle stations for now, until we stand down or the Kapitan or Dr. Solleblum needs you for medical duty.

"Kel, you're on the gun with me. Do you have any experience with large wepaons like this?"

Minh Quyen
 player, 631 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 30 May 2012
at 14:57
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
After helping the others pull in the pirates boat Quyen instinctively looks towards the unseen shoreline as someone opens fire. At first she mistakes the unexpected shooting for another attack again and she begins racing up the ladder to the DSHK once more... that is until the flare bursts overhead and lights up the rescue party.

Quyen then lingers on the ladder (or stairs) for a moment while she watches helplessly as the rescue party flounders in the river. She then continues up and returns to her position behind the large machinegun. The sounds of the tug's crew prepping it for action helped put her at ease a little, but not by much. Not being able to do something was painful.

Quyen will remain at her post. At this time she is unaware of the unknown men by the shore (she has no night vision) but will be ready to act when the time comes.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 511 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 31 May 2012
at 09:40
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Craig helps pull in what is left of the zodiac the pirates attacked in. He dose not linger when the call to stations is given. As Tucker is with the rescue party Craig takes up the position on the port DShK.

He manoeuvres the large heavy machine gun on its mount to point up river at the new threat to the rescue party. The deck was slick with blood and water but he was able to keep his footing. With his NVG's down Craig gave a SITRIP of what he could see to anyone within air shot.

He ended with;

"I could give them a burst over their heads."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 623 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 31 May 2012
at 16:05
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Twenty minutes to steam, Kaptain," Griet called out, "do you want the spotlight deployed anywhere or are we going to play things cool?"
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2778 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 31 May 2012
at 19:41
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg #142):

While Dawid wasn't about to open fire without provocation, he wasn't above reminding the strangers (who might just be towns-folk, after all) their people had friends. Friends with big guns.

Assuming Konrad doesn't preemptively countermand Griet's suggestion, he called up, "yes, shine the light on shore!"

Using the spotlight, Dawid attempted to train and aimed the Vasilek at the larger group on the western shore. It was too far to use night vision goggles, and the range also made it very hard to tell friend from foe. He had a clip of 82mm HE shells ready to go in the magazine. He really wished they had some smoke ammunition to cover their friends' retreat (and it was non-lethal), but needs must as the devil drives...

Noting the crew beginning preparations to kedge (even if he didn't quite know how or what would happen) Dawid said, "Kapitan, Griet, whatever movement we make isn't going to matter all that much for now. Keep things stable for now so I can provide effective fire support. Or, drifting with the current like that log will get us closer, too."

OOC: I am assuming that crew members are now scrambling to begin kedging. Dawid doesn't know what that is, but he knows this will make the boat more stable. I make the range at 750-800m.

In theory, drifting with the current we should go at the speed of the log, and it covered the distance in far less than 20 minutes! As well, the log seemed to be drifting closer to the west bank, which is where we need to go. When we're where we want to be or get drawn too close to shore, drop anchor.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:32, Thu 31 May 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1639 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 04:04
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
"Twenty minutes to steam, Kaptain," Griet called out, "do you want the spotlight deployed anywhere or are we going to play things cool?"


"Kool." Bayer says quietly, observing the activity on the shore through his image intensifiers. He then says louder so that the rest can hear, "Weapons hold. Pass it on."

Bayer then lowers the optics and moves down to Griet's position where he says quietly, "If they wanted to do harm to Sergeant Tucker and his men... I think they would have done so by now when they had full surprise. Keep getting the tug ready for action, but lets not provoke or frighten them them into doing anything rash. This is in Robert's hands until we can be ready to move." He didn't say it aloud, but hoped his American friend or anyone else didn't do anything crazy.

Bayer then notes the river's edge and asks, "Griet... how close can you get us without getting stuck? Enough to disembark a shore party that can wade in?"

Following Griet's reply, Bayer moves from each battle position to the next, stopping each time to observe the shore again and keeping the Kommando's calm - but ready to unleash the full power at their disposal if things turned worse. An ILLUM para-flare is still loaded in his launcher.

OOC - Rae, does Tucker have his radio? Bayer will try to transmit if he does.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:16, Fri 01 June 2012.

Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2781 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 05:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #144):

Dawid nodded as Konrad inspected the forward weapons station, "Kapitan, sir, everyone is at action stations. I will make sure one will fire.

"Vasilek is loaded with fragmentation but I was wrong, cannot engage shore to rear, nor can spotlight be brought to bear.

"Suggest we release the forward anchor, so that we swing around. If we need to move, just drift with current, worked well for log!"

"Last, McClurg is on AGS-17, facing rear. Only weapon that can fire to rear. Put Jan on that one; I trust Jan but do not know this new man, McClurg."

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1640 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 11:07
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
</Blue>"Last, McClurg is on AGS-17, facing rear. Only weapon that can fire to rear. Put Jan on that one; I trust Jan but do not know this new man, McClurg."</Blue>


Bayer nods at the assessments, then on the last point motions towards Jan and says, "Yes, switch them up quietly."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 624 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 16:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"I can release the bow anchor to bring the Vasilsek to bear," Griet said, "I will not let the Queen drift in the river, it's too dangerous. Without power we could get into serious trouble. Once we have power I can get you close to the bank but not to the shore without taking depth soundings, again we risk too much by butting in blindly. Without a landing craft, I'm pretty sure we won't be able to get close enough to land a shore party unless we find a jetty or a pier."

"Do you want me to swing the boat around?"
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1312 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 16:44
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
When Konrad nodded his agreement with Dawid's suggestion Jan quickly changed positions, moving quickly to the AGS-17 and speaking to McClurg.

"Mac, we change positions," he explained hurriedly.  "Capitaine Bayer wants you to go and join Dawid and help him."

A McClurg set off, with an encouraging pat on the shoulder from Jan, to report to Dawid the Legionnaire secured his AK nearby and then quickly checked over the AGS-17.  Once he was satisfied that it was ok he quickly flicked on his NVGs to scan around.  In only a matter of seconds he confirmed what he had though, that the distances were beyond the capabilities of his NVGs, and he turned them off again.
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2783 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 2 Jun 2012
at 00:03
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
"Do you want me to swing the boat around?"


"Yes. Pardon me for saying, I believe Kapitan Bayer seems to be in accord with turning the tug to put the Vasilek and spotlight into play. I can't see the harm, so let's do that immediately. Further moves will come when we have power.

"Griet, do those on shore have a radio? Assuming they do, make contact and advise them to mark their position with flares or lights."


Dawid moved to where he could see the rear deck, at least a little. He assumed Jan had manned the Plamya without delay. "Jan, my friend, until we bring the Queen about provide cover to those on shore! If we can, we'll get them to mark their position."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:24, Sat 02 June 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2541 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 2 Jun 2012
at 00:15
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

By leaving the stern anchor in place and pulling up the bow anchor, the tug slowly pivots so that her bow is now pointed downriver.

A nearly out-of-breath Gryzych calls up to the bridge from the engine room through the speaking tube. "We can probably give you half power in 10 minutes."

Now that the tug is reoriented, both the bridge-mounted spotlight and the Vasilek can be brought to bear. The tug is ready to set off at once as soon as there is enough power available to make some way. Drifting with the current is a dangerous option because Griet really won't be able to steer. There are a lot of shallows and mudbanks in this part of the river (from what you could see the day before) and a large island up ahead. It's probably best to wait ten minutes so that more can be done to avoid such potentially damaging obstacles.

The spotlight is trained forward and sweeps the west bank first. On the second pass, a group of figures can be made out moving away from the river (inland and north). There looks to be about two dozen people there- if it's the rescue party, it looks like they've met some new friends. Both the Vasilek and the Dishkas have the range to reach out and touch them, but without being able to pick and choose targets, the chances of friendly fire deaths are almost certain.


Next Moves?