Ch. 18-1: Plock.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2784 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Sat 2 Jun 2012
at 00:40
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Cap'n Rae (msg #150):

Studying the tableau through binoculars, Dawid fought a sinking feeling of helplessness. The group seemed to include their friends, but they hadn't made an effort to contact the ship and were now moving away. Once they got out of sight, there would be nothing they could do to to influence the situation.

"Kapitan! Target sighted! Permission to fire warning shot, fragmentation, 200m in front of group!"

With Kel's help, Dawid carefully aimed the Vasilek at a spot that would make an impression but (hopefully) not cause casualties. He wouldn't fire without permission, but no harm in preparing!
Craig Sutherland
 player, 512 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 2 Jun 2012
at 09:15
Re: Ch. 18: Plock


It was an almost instantaneous realisation that his NVG's where not going to be any help, so he flicked them off. Standing behind the big gun he wondered if he would have been more effective behind his G3 and scope.

He glanced up to the top of the wheel house, he could not see Warren but he felt assured he would have the rescue team under observation. Craig grabbed the bolt handle and pulling it back slightly, checked a round was in the chamber of the DShK.

He eased it forward and resumed the wait for the order to engage or to stand down.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 625 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 2 Jun 2012
at 10:24
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet glanced up at Warren as she focused the searchlight on the group by the waterside. She hoped that the group holding their comrades weren't affiliated to the men who Warren had calmly executed with his knife. If they were, she hoped they hadn't seen the treatment of their friends by the ship's crew. If they had, it might not go well for the unfortunate crew members on the bank.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1642 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 12:53
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Kapitan! Target sighted! Permission to fire warning shot, fragmentation, 200m in front of group!"


Bayer lowers his image intensifiers and responds, "No. No firepower demonstrations. Nothing until we are mobile." Bayer then continues to watch. He didn't want to provoke an unidentified party who's intentions were not known yet... not while friendly troops were exposed anyways. Whoever was out there would also probably realize that we can't use our superior firepower without hitting our own people anyways.

Calling down to the main deck again, Bayer asks, "Griet... time?" He then climbs down and approaches her directly, "I know you can't beach the boat or risk navigating at night, but once we get power, I need to land a party... at least waist deep." He then looks at her for a response.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 626 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 13:53
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet looked at the drama unfolding on shore and then heard the Kaptain's question, "I can give you half power in ten minutes," she answered, "I wouldn't want to operate much faster than that in the dark anyway. I can't guarantee how close I can get you to shore but once we're nearer I'll start shooting bursts from the bow thrusters to shift us sideways. That will let us feel where the shelving of the bank becomes too shallow for us to continue without beaching us. I'll need people at the side with the gaff hooks feeling for obstructions."

"I can then get you about four meters closer by hooking the gang plank to the crane, that way you can run out on that and if we're close enough jump to shore," She continued, "if we're not close enough I can lower it into the water and you can send someone out to judge the depth."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1643 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 14:00
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer nods at Griet's response. He then moves to find Jan and says, "Dawid will keep us covered with the main gun. I need you to muster up some men to help check the water depth."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 627 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 14:08
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Tadeusz," Griet called to her deck hand, "rig the gang plank up to the derrick, we'll need to use it as an assault ramp: remember the Corvus that father showed us in that book?"
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1315 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 20:17
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jan had been about to start moving the AGS-17 round to the prow of the boat, so that it could also fire directly in support of the men on shore, when Konrad gave him some different orders.

Konrad Bayer:
He then moves to find Jan and says, "Dawid will keep us covered with the main gun. I need you to muster up some men to help check the water depth."

"Oui mon Capitaine," replied Jan as he cast another glance round the boat, trying to remember who was still on board, settling initially on Craig on one of the DShKs.  "Craig.  With me and get hold of a boathook.  We have to check the water depth."

Jan then turned to Griet and called out to her while he picked up a boathook of his own.  "Griet, can you spare Walter to help me and Craig?"

While he waited for Griet to answer Jan turned back to Konrad with another question that would be important fairly soon.  "Capitaine, who is going ashore?  You, me, Craig and Jeff?"  He was keen to get off the boat and onto dry land where he would be considerably more use than he was at present.  Hunting down the group who, it seemed, had taken the rescue party prisoner was much more within Jan's capabilities!

For the moment though he did his bit as a less than junior deckhand, not entirely sure what he was actually doing with a boathook!
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 628 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 21:03
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"We don't need to feel our way until we have power," Griet said, "if you help Tadeusz and Walter rig up the gang plank, when we do move, you can have both deck hands to help you. You'll need to be very careful: the river is notoriously fickle here, there could be sand bars between us and the bank. There was also a sand quarry there so we'll need to be careful of sunken barges. We might get lucky however, if the sand barges took enough of the sand away before they stopped there might be a nice bank to come up against where they've dug out all the depositions. That might make this part of the river run faster and transfer the sand to the island in front of us. Though the day we get lucky is the day I kiss Dr. Soleblume."

She remembered what her father had said about the river here. People had always battled to stop it changing fickley and they had often failed. One of his lectures had told her about the kempes, strange islands in the river that were unusual because the weren't made out of deposited sand and had been filled with massive, old growth trees. Originally folk lore had said they were the camps of the giants of the river, held there since time immemorial but later study found they were part of the land that had been cut off by the river's meanderings. Adam had shown her old charts where the island up ahead had changed in appearance over the years, waxing and waning and sometimes rejoining the land it had been sundered from centuries ago.

This wasn't the stretch of river she would have picked for night time manovures but if they were careful they should keep the boat intact even if they couldn't help their friends easily. She kicked herself mentally, only an arrogant fool would have left Warsaw with just one ship's boat. Call yourself a Captain, she thought to herself, you're still that silly spoilt girl that ran away to sea to be like her Daddy.

She idly fingered the medals of St. Jude and St. Brendan, let the sand quarriers have done us a favour, she prayed, let them have taken away enough sand to have stopped the sand bars from forming here, let us get our friends back.

She poked her head out of the window and called to Warren, "Sweep the bank we are heading for with the spotlight, the charts show evidence of sand quarrying, maybe there's a jetty."
Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1316 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 21:19
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"OK," Jan replied to Griet before moving to join Tadeusz and Walter.  Making the assumption that Walter was in charge of rigging up the extended gang plank Jan turned to him, switching to Polish to ensure that there were no misunderstandings.

"Walter.  Tell me what you need me to do?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1644 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 22:13
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"Cut the lights." Bayer says, before Jan gets underway.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 513 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 5 Jun 2012
at 00:21
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Craig lent a hand where he was needed before collecting his gear for the land rescue mission.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2544 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 5 Jun 2012
at 02:37
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

Before the spotlight is cut, you see the people on shore move quickly,  disappearing into some thick foliage to the northeast. With the folks on shore out of sight, Griet shifts the spotlight beam to the near shore. It's hard to tell in the harsh glare of the spotlight but here and there it looks like some excavation of the sandy shore has taken place. Walter recollects how the defenders of Warsaw used sand and mud dredged up from the river bed to build fortifications during the siege of the city, a few years back. Since then, however, it looks like the mighty Vistula has moved quite a bit of sediment back into the spots that had been dredged out. The net result is a combination sandbank/mudflat expending past the riverbank proper about 30 feet or so at its narrowest, 50 or so at its widest.

The deck crew begins rigging the gangway to the derrick, creating a shaky but serviceable assault bridge that can extend about 18 feet past the tug's gunwhale. This leaves about 15 feet between the end of the bridge and the shallows. The tug's life rafts- small two-man rubber dingies- might make it to shore, but it would be a considerable risk. They're not designed to carry fully armed troops in heavy winter gear. There's also a couple of empty 50 gallon drums available that used to hold methanol that will float, and there's plenty of cordage aboard.

By the time the gangway "corvus" is finished, the engine room reports half power available for both of the tug's screws. With the deck crew and security force keeping careful watch on both the river ahead and the banks beyond, the tug gets underway, moving downriver at approximately 10kph.

Next Moves?
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2785 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Tue 5 Jun 2012
at 05:08
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer nods at Griet's response. He then moves to find Jan and says, "Dawid will keep us covered with the main gun. I need you to muster up some men to help check the water depth."


"Sir!"

He kept the weapon aimed in the correct direction, while also trying to find aiming point in case the light went out. On one hand there were the lights of the town to the right, and he could see the (empty) bank to the left in his NVGs. It wasn't the best, but at least he would have a rough sector to cover.

"Well done, "Kel", thanks."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 420 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Wed 6 Jun 2012
at 05:57
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Warren had been propped up, using the maximum zoom of his rifle to track the unknown group.  Unfortunately, the range was just too much to identify anyone solidly in the bad light, even with the spotlight.

"I've lost sight of the shore group.  Took off through the woods."  He is reasonably confident that if he were standing where they were at the shore, he could lead them in the right-ish direction.  But only briefly.

"Good news is the river looks calm.  Enough.  Where do you need me?"  Warren had been severely looking forward to the end of his shift.  The pirates were no big deal, but going back on shore was not something he looked forward to.  Otherwise, he helps Jan out with preparations to go ashore, assuming that he would be going.  He double checks his night vision charge, and debates swapping the sniper rifle out for an AK.  In the end he decides against it, keeping the sport rifle.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:59, Wed 06 June 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1645 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 16:27
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Jeff D. Warren:
"Good news is the river looks calm.  Enough.  Where do you need me?"


"On land." Bayer replies, giving the American the answer he wasn't hoping for.

Bayer then moves to where Jan and Craig are helping with the depth sounding and says, "Warren, Quyen, Lt.Sutherland and yourself, are to accompany me on shore." he explains to the Czech. "Get everyone kitted up when you're done here."

Once that is clear, Bayer heads to the stern mounted Vasilek, their most trusted and decisive asset on board since first leaving Krakow. Crouching next to the weapon, he silently counts the various types of 82mm rounds before saying to the NCO, "Dawid, I'm stripping as many hands as possible to get a strong presence on the ground. I need the Vasilek and one DSHK to be ready for support fire."

Then finally, Bayer confirms with Griet his intentions and waits until the landing can commence. Although, he'll leave Jan in tactical control of the section, he'll be the first one off the boat. If the gangplank can't get them all the way to the land, he will jump down into the water first without his rifle, NVGs or radio (basically his tac vest). Then if it is safe, those on board will hand it down and they can continue with that same method. They already lost some people in the river tonight... he didn't want to lose weapons and equipment too.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:08, Thu 07 June 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1317 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 16:31
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Having helped create the assault bridge Jan reported to Konrad again.  Nodding in understanding at his orders Jan then checked his gear again, deciding to leave the LAW behind as it was hopefully overkill, and made his way back to the assault bridge.

"Griet, the end of the gangplank is about six or seven meters from the bank.  We can jump to make that shorter but how deep do you think the water will be and will we be able to wade ashore or will we get stuck in mud?"

This message was last edited by the player at 16:35, Thu 07 June 2012.

Minh Quyen
 player, 632 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 19:15
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Quyen hears her name mentioned but remains at the machinegun until the tugboat is ready to unload them. If Jan looks up she will give him a thumbs up to let him know that she is aware that she has been ordered ashore and is ready to go.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 629 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 19:37
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
"It's likely to be muddy and make life difficult," Griet said, "if I were you I'd make a quick raft out of the oil drums and some wood and send one person to shore with a rope. Then you can use the raft to ferry people ashore using the rope to guide the raft. It'll take a bit more time but everyone will get ashore safely, dry and without losing gear."
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski
 player, 2788 posts
 Ex-Sergeant
 Polish Artillerist
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 22:23
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg #166):

quote:
Once that is clear, Bayer heads to the stern mounted Vasilek, their most trusted and decisive asset on board since first leaving Krakow. Crouching next to the weapon, he silently counts the various types of 82mm rounds before saying to the NCO, "Dawid, I'm stripping as many hands as possible to get a strong presence on the ground. I need the Vasilek and one DSHK to be ready for support fire."


Dawid nodded in agreement. They seemed to have a quantity of ammunition.

"Yes, Kaptain. I can man the mortar myself. McClurg will man the Dushka.

"I'll take McClurg, he was a helicopter door gunner seems handy with a machinegun. Griet will relay indirect fire requests via the radio set on the bridge. Take flares to mark your position for direct fire. I guess that's about it.

"Best of luck!"


He arranged for all the radios to be on the correct frequency, and for an alternate. Further, he set up the PKM on the left bow pintle.

Instructions to McClurg:

"We're supporting the shore party, they're going to retrieve our comrades. At this time I believe the threat is to port, that is, the west or left hand side. I will keep watch here on the bow and port side, you cover the rear and starboard side from the bridge deck. When I request, man the portside Dushka to provide additional support."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:38, Fri 08 June 2012.

Jan Cerny
 NPC, 1318 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 8 Jun 2012
at 09:20
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Griet Niewiadomska:
"It's likely to be muddy and make life difficult," Griet said, "if I were you I'd make a quick raft out of the oil drums and some wood and send one person to shore with a rope. Then you can use the raft to ferry people ashore using the rope to guide the raft. It'll take a bit more time but everyone will get ashore safely, dry and without losing gear."

After getting a thumbs up from Quyen and listening to Griet's answer Jan called over to Konrad.

"Capitaine.  Do we have time to make a raft or are we wading ashore?"

Griet's advice was solid but the longer they waited the further away the others would get and trying to track them in the dark was going to be slow and awkward.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1646 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 8 Jun 2012
at 21:18
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Dawid Waldus Piotrowski:
"Best of luck!"

"Danke... thank you." Bayer says. "We won't be long."
Jan Cerny:
"Capitaine.  Do we have time to make a raft or are we wading ashore?"

"No. We move as soon as we have power." he replies after a moment of silence. "We get our feet wet... but it is it safe if we do it like I will show."
Craig Sutherland
 player, 514 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 9 Jun 2012
at 05:49
Re: Ch. 18: Plock


With his gear at the rail Craig went over it one final time. He had debated with himself to leave the G3, deciding against it. He did one last physical and visual check of his assault vest and PLCE webbing making sure everything he needed was in place.

This was not the first wet landing he had made in this war, a big bonus was that this one would hopefully not be under fire. As he waited for the order to move his mind wondered over memories he would rather forget.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2550 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 10 Jun 2012
at 02:13
Re: Ch. 18: Plock

0330 hours

Using the engines (still at 1/2 output) to control and steer rather than propel the tug (the current's taking care of that), Griet edges the Queen towards the west bank. Warren lights the way with the roof-mounted spotlight.

In the meantime, Dawid arranges a short-handed tug security detail while Konrad organizes and prepares a shore-party for deployment as soon as the tug is within wading distance of dry land.

The tug moves slowly shoreward at an increasingly shallow angle until, with an odd slapping/sucking sound, it slows gradually to a full stop. Griet knows instantly that she's run up on a mudbank and she immediately cuts power. Due to the tug's low speed at the time of impact, Griet is confident that the Queen is not yet close to being stuck fast. She slowly reverses thrust on the main screws to make sure that the current doesn't push the tug any further up onto the mud bank. It's not the perfect landing but, under the circumstances, it's pretty close.

The deck crew engages the derrick and extends the makeshift "corvus" assault bridge. You see now that the riverbank here has been buttressed with a sheer-sided concrete retaining wall- a testament to the communist's regimes prewar flood control projects. The far end of the corvus just barely kisses the concrete, allowing the recovery team to set foot on dry land without getting wet first. Considering how cold it is, this is a blessing indeed.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:56, Tue 12 June 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1647 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 10 Jun 2012
at 02:51
Re: Ch. 18: Plock
Bayer leans over the edge and peers down into the blackness of the water and riverbank below while the last of the landing preparations are completed. Then once he's gotten the signal from Griet, he passes off his rifle and tac-vest, and makes his way onto the assault bridge. Bayer will jump the last meter to the solid ground and look for any unseen footfalls before signally for the rest to follow him.

Following the shore party's landing, Bayer places everyone in an all around defense for a listening halt and a brief co-ord meeting with Jan. "Get your lead man heading towards the village and moving at a good pace." he whispers, adding the bearing to the community that he took from his compass when he was on the Queen. "Open fire policy is self defense only. Action on any contact is to halt, go to ground, and assess."

Bayer then glances at his watch and says, "I'll be in the middle of your section. Step off time is now. Let's go get our people."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:52, Sun 10 June 2012.