Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2720 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 22 Dec 2012
at 21:01
Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek

There is a tide in the affairs of men, Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat. And we must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures.

-William Shakespeare


-

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:07, Sat 22 Dec 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2721 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 22 Dec 2012
at 21:02
Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek

Friday, November 24, 2000
0900 hrs.
37F
Overcast skies; strong breeze from the northwest
Vistula River, Dobiegniewo, Poland


The air grows colder as the tug steams into the stiff breeze. The banks along the river are drab and lifeless. The surviving inhabitants of this area now reside in Plock.

Kellerman is back in the engine room, although with his left arm immobilized in a sling he can't do much to help besides keep an eye on the gauges. McClurg, his sprained wrist braced and a bandage concealing the wreckage of his left ear, inspects the port side Dishka. He's fairly confident that, given a spare set of hands and a steady working platform, he can return it to service. Mariusz prepares brunch for the rest of the crew. It should be ready by the time they arrive at Dobiegniewo. Craig collects the sandbags and earth-filled ammo crates that were not obliterated by the direct hit mortar strike on the raised quarterdeck and puts together a fairly sturdy, two-person fighting position* to replace the old four-person AGS-17 station (it's rated to stop rounds up to 5.56mm at medium range and 7.62mm at long range). The rest of the security team keeps watch. (OOC: I'm not sure where the PCs are currently stationed).

*This would be a good spot for one of the tug's GPMGs.

The Vasilek is the elephant in the room. No one still aboard has half the skill in operating the automortar that Dawid took with him when he departed. If the tug encounters a hard target, the new gun crew will have to rely on beginners' luck to carry the day.

The tiny village of Dobiegniewo comes into view up ahead on the south bank (port side) of the river. It seems odd for the diminutive hamlet to boast such a large dock in relation to the size of the settlement but, sure enough, twin piers portrude into the Vistula, forming a sort of deep but narrow man-made bay. Dobiegniewo appears to have at least one resident- white smoke from a hearthfire can just be made out against the darker grey of the oncoming clouds scudding in from the northwest. Aside from the smoke, there's no other signs of recent human habitation. There's a larger settlement directly across the river, on the north bank, but it shows no signs of life.

Griet slows the tug and manouvers towards the gap between the two piers. She has to enter nose first, leaving the currently defenseless stern furthest from the shore. As the tug slows to a halt, the smoke can no longer be seen rising from the hamlet. It appears that your arrival has been noted.

https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.038762,0.132093


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:57, Sun 23 Dec 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1775 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 22 Dec 2012
at 23:29
Re: Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek
Standing in the wheelhouse, Bayer observes the village through his binoculars. He then says to Griet, "Two short blasts of the whistle please... to say 'hello'. I'd like us to appear friendly."

Bayer then leans out and calls down the NCO's watching from the deck, "Sergeant Tucker, organize a three man shore party to accompany me ashore - light weapons only. Ensure Mariusz is part of your team."

"Jan, organize everyone else into a perimeter guard and to man the heavy weapons. Keep close to the boat until I radio you an all clear once I've met the locals."


Bayer then collects his gear and moves down to the deck where expects Robert's hastily assembled team to be waiting.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:30, Sat 22 Dec 2012.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 597 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 23 Dec 2012
at 02:41
Re: Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek

Once he had finished the fighting position Craig stood back and admired his creation. The chill air cooled him as he made his way to the galley, he suggested moving one of the GPMG's up to the quarter deck if he comes across Jan, Tucker or Konrad.

This he does as the tug continues down the river. Once he had a good idea of the possible fields of fire he made a mental note to lookout for some sheet metal or the like to further reinforce the position. When they had docked and if he was not needed for the shore party he would man the GPMG.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 707 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 23 Dec 2012
at 08:46
Re: Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek
Griet gave two blasts on the tug's horn and then finished the docking procedures, "Ask the shore party to check out potential sources of wood," she asked Bayer, "we might as well top off reserves if we can."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1122 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 23 Dec 2012
at 08:52
Re: Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek
Mariusz readied his gear once more, "I'm good to go, Kaptain."
Daniel Larue
 player, 230 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 23 Dec 2012
at 13:40
Re: Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek
Danny finishes his morning medical rounds, ensuring no one has a minor untreated injury from Plock that was overlooked in the fight's aftermath.  Once he's sure of the team's general health, he climbs atop the wheelhouse and checks his weather instrument package, which somehow survived the Queen's most recent battering.  Flipping back through the met log, he frowns and gives the sky another glance.

He descends the ladder and squeezes past Connolly into the wheelhouse.  "Hauptmann," he says to Bayer, suppressing the urge to snap to attention every time he's in the German's presence, "medical and weather reports."

He waits for Bayer's acknowledgement, then proceeds.  "Medical: no change with Kel and Mac, both need to stay on light duty for a while.  Mister Warren has a spectacular bruise but no cracked ribs; he's cleared for unrestricted duty.  No change in supplies.

"Weather: there's some winter crud coming in.  First precip should start around noon and it may stay around for a few days.  I give it a fifty-fifty chance of turning to snow or freezing rain.  I recommend keeping Minh aboard until we find her some cold-weather gear.  Same goes for anyone else who's lacking."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1461 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 23 Dec 2012
at 18:09
Re: Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer then leans out and calls down the NCO's watching from the deck, "Sergeant Tucker, organize a three man shore party to accompany me ashore - light weapons only. Ensure Mariusz is part of your team."

"Jan, organize everyone else into a perimeter guard and to man the heavy weapons. Keep close to the boat until I radio you an all clear once I've met the locals."

Jan conferred briefly with Tuck and then called out to the rest of the unit while Tuck finished organising his own gear.  "OK, going ashore with the Capitaine in Tuck's team are Mariusz, Quyen and Craig.  Gather your gear and get organised."

He then turned to the others.  "Jeff, get up high and keep a watch out.  Danny, keep a watch back over the other side of the river.  Jay, man the PKM position that Craig set up.  Thijs, once the Capitaine and Tuck's team start to move inland you and I will move to the first house to cover their retreat in case there is a problem.  Any questions?"

He had already gathered his own equipment but he checked his rifle again, just to be on the safe side.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1778 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 23 Dec 2012
at 18:14
Re: Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek
Griet Niewiadomska:
Griet gave two blasts on the tug's horn and then finished the docking procedures, "Ask the shore party to check out potential sources of wood," she asked Bayer.

"Will do... but I think it will be best to leave the details to you and the engineers we have on board to work out. You are captain of the boat after all." Bayer answers.

Daniel Larue:
He descends the ladder and squeezes past Connolly into the wheelhouse.  "Hauptmann," he says to Bayer, suppressing the urge to snap to attention every time he's in the German's presence, "medical and weather reports."

He waits for Bayer's acknowledgement, then proceeds.  "Medical: no change with Kel and Mac, both need to stay on light duty for a while.  Mister Warren has a spectacular bruise but no cracked ribs; he's cleared for unrestricted duty.  No change in supplies.

"Weather: there's some winter crud coming in.  First precip should start around noon and it may stay around for a few days.  I give it a fifty-fifty chance of turning to snow or freezing rain.  I recommend keeping Minh aboard until we find her some cold-weather gear.  Same goes for anyone else who's lacking."

Bayer nods for the American to continue, but motions for him to make his report as they move outside and down to the deck together. When Larue is done giving his reports, Bayer stops and politely thanks him. He then thinks for a moment, tonguing the tooth that he knew Daniel would soon be yanking out of his mouth, and says, "I hope I am not mistaken, but I thought Jan was able to find a Russian jacket for Quyen. I'll double check before we go though."

Mariusz Tokarski:
Mariusz readied his gear once more, "I'm good to go, Kaptain."

Bayer flashes a thumbs up in return and once the others arrive, he waves for them to disembark. "Keep vigilant." he says aloud, "But remember we are here to establish contact with the local population... not scare them away."
Minh Quyen
 player, 670 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 23 Dec 2012
at 18:31
Re: Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek
Jan Cerny:
Jan conferred briefly with Tuck and then called out to the rest of the unit while Tuck finished organising his own gear.  "OK, going ashore with the Capitaine in Tuck's team are Mariusz, Quyen and Craig.  Gather your gear and get organised."


Quyen quickly returns to the small pile of gear she kept in the room she shared with Griet and grabs her rifle and jacket to be put on under her webbing. She decided to forgo wearing her bush hat in the hopes that it would help identify her as a female and might be make her group seem less threatening to the locals... seeing how bandits and such typically didn't have many female members if ever.

Quyen then retuns to the deck and lights up a smoke while listening to Konrad's briefing.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 471 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sun 23 Dec 2012
at 21:34
Re: Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek
Jay nodded to Jan and took up a position on the PKM. He took a few moments to familarise himself with the weapon and check his arcs of fire, before settling down to keep warm and keep watch.
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 80 posts
 Dutch
 Marine Commando
Sun 23 Dec 2012
at 23:46
Re: Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek
Jan Cerny:
"Thijs, once the Capitaine and Tuck's team start to move inland you and I will move to the first house to cover their retreat in case there is a problem.  Any questions?"

"No," is the reply.  Thijs gave a shake to insure his combat webbing -- now adjusted to fit over his vest -- is seated properly.  The night vision goggles he obtained in Plock are strapped to his helmet and flipped up.  Though it is early in the day, he has no desire to get caught without again, just in case there is no opportunity to grab them before dark.

When Jan went ashore, Thijs followed and took up a position at (OOC:  in?) the first house, trying not to look particularly aggressive, but ready to assume a firing posture if necessary.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 598 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 24 Dec 2012
at 00:30
Re: Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek

Craig grabbed his gear from the fighting position and formed up at the tugs rail with the others. He took a look at the sky before concluding they where in for some good "Blighty" weather.

Once on dry land Craig kept his rifle at waist height but pointing in the direction he was looking. In his own mind he suspected these were bandits and nothing more but he kept an eye out for friendlies.
Daniel Larue
 player, 233 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Mon 24 Dec 2012
at 00:47
Re: Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek
Danny nods at Bayer's thanks.  "Yessir.  Not a problem."  He looks aft to where Minh is smoking and shrugs apologetically.  "Huh.  Sorry, sir, I must've missed that.  Glad it's taken care of."  Catching the set of Bayer's jaw and tongue, he frowns.  "By the way, I haven't forgotten that tooth.  Let me know when you can give yourself at least four hours of downtime."  His skeptical expression strongly suggests that Konrad will want more than four hours to recover after field dentistry.

As Jan issues assignments, Danny gives him a nod and ducks into his cabin to gear up.  Returning to the deck, he circulates through the team that'll be going ashore, checking their first aid supplies and ensuring everyone's fed, hydrated, and ready for shitty weather if their excursion becomes prolonged.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:51, Mon 24 Dec 2012.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 1 post
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Mon 24 Dec 2012
at 01:00
Re: Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek
Tucked into her usual corner of the wheelhouse, Connolly watches Griet conn the tug into Dobiegniewo's harbor.  Her eyes flick back and forth between the charts and the water and shore as she tries to match the lines (and the Polish notations) to the reality of the river.  She absently listens to Bayer's preparations, mentally tracking personnel assignments, but most of her attention is focused on Griet's shiphandling.

Once the Queen is secured against the dock, she clears her throat to get Griet's attention.  "Do we need to do anything to prepare for winter weather?" she asks.  "De-icing, anything like that?"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 708 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 24 Dec 2012
at 09:17
Re: Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek
Griet looked at the weather that was coming in and listened to Connolly's question, "There isn't much we need to do. I'd like the guns wrapped up and our hoses stowed where they are easy to get hold of. If we need to get into action quickly and the weapon mounts are frozen we can blast them quickly with steam and worry about the fine details after the battle. Otherwise the Queen is designed as an ice-breaker and all the fiddly electronics that might be affected by the weather are gone."

She looked up again, "We'll need a rolling watch and I'll check the deck every two hours to decide if we need any more action. The biggest worry will be security. We'll be nearly blind in a white-out."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2727 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 24 Dec 2012
at 17:13
Two Riders Were Approaching...

While the tug crew maintains watch, the shore party hops on to the rather rickety dock and heads towards the hamlet. The settlement appears to have been abandoned some time ago, its dwellings slowly falling apart due to neglect and the unceasing machinations of mother nature. It does not appear to have seen much, if any, in the way of fighting.

The first house is more or less gutted, as is the second. Scavengers have clearly visited this neighborhood before, likely several times. In the third house, the party finds a family of raccoons, like most of the Kommando, an invasive species here in Poland.

At the fourth house, the shore party finds signs of human habitation. There's a stack of firewood against the southern wall and an old icebox against the northern wall; it's locked with a rusty padlock. The ground near the front door has been worn smooth and hard by the passage of many feet (or the same feet many times). Behind the house (on its west side), they find a large stump used as a chopping block. A small pile of logs waiting to be split into faggots sits nearby. Scattered around the chopping block are several large bones, split as if by an axe. Since there are only pieces, its not clear what animal they belong to. Leaving the workspace, the the shore party returns to front of the house and calls out to the occupant; they receive no reply. After five minutes of calling and waiting, Konrad decides to enter the dwelling. The shore party does so cautiously, ready for the worst. Fortunately, no one is currently home. The interior of the small abode is fully but modestly furnished, the hearth still warm. The kitchen table is scared with hundreds of cuts and gashes, much of its surface stained dark with blood; the place reeks of its coppery tang. A meat cleaver is lodged upright in the wooden tabletop. Whoever lives here likely left in a hurry when he or she heard the tug arrive.

Warren, in the sniper's eerie atop the Krolowa's bridge, keeps an eye on the surrounding countryside. He provides overwatch as the shore party enters the dwelling. Looking through the bare branches of the woods west along the road that parallels the Vistula here, Warren spots six riders approaching. They wear brownand grey and a few of the men sport Ushanka hats. All are armed, AK-style rifles slung across their chests. They slow as they approach the hamlet. About 400m from the westernmost structure, they stop. One of the riders leaves the road and angles towards the river. From here, near the muddy bank, he glasses the hamlet, scanning the settlement from a distance. He quickly spots the tug and a brief, animated discussion with his roadbound comrades ensues. Two of the riders break off from the party and gallop north, the way they'd come, while two more riders, one of them removing a white cloth from his saddlebag, begin to ride towards the village at a canter. As they approach, the man slows his mount, raises the white cloth, and waves it vigorously overhead. The two remaining riders stay put where they'd stopped, watching their comrades attempt a parlay. (At the moment, the riders can't be seen from any point on the tug lower than the bridge roof.)


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.009693,0.033023

OOC: Anneka's dead body is cooling on the cot in sickbay. Brunch is cooling in the galley.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:16, Mon 24 Dec 2012.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 82 posts
 Dutch
 Marine Commando
Mon 24 Dec 2012
at 23:48
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
As Konrad's party moved from house to house, Thijs said to Jan, "I cannot see them.  Perhaps we should move a little closer to provide cover."
Daniel Larue
 player, 235 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Tue 25 Dec 2012
at 02:02
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
As instructed, Danny keeps watch at the starboard rail, occasionally exchanging banter with McClurg.  The river is empty, save for a small flock of ducks.  Danny squints, gauges the range, gets a bad idea.  "Hey, Mac!  Do we have a shotgun on board?  I'm thinkin' roast pintail."  He frowns in thought.  "Holy crap!  Dude, it's the day after Thanksgiving!  We gotta do something for dinner!"

Danny
Winona [30/30 + 5 magazines] - slung, on SAFE
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

watching the river and contemplating fowl deeds

This message was last edited by the player at 02:05, Tue 25 Dec 2012.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 4 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Tue 25 Dec 2012
at 02:19
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Connolly nods at Griet's response.  "Thanks.  I'll ask Mac to find a couple of tarps and make sure he knows where the hoses are in case we need them."  She stands up and stretches, testing her still-healing calf muscles.  "I need to walk or I'll be as stiff as my grandmother.  Unless you have anything more critical, I'll grab Kel and get started on a damage survey.  Once we know everything that's broken, we can start prioritizing repairs."  She swipes a clipboard and pencil stub from the chart room and heads below decks to find Kellerman.

Boots
M11 [13/13 + 2 magazines] - holstered, hammer down

damage assessment

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1782 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 25 Dec 2012
at 07:28
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Bayer sits at the kitchen table as he looks around, resting his rifle on his lap. He then glances over to Tucker and says quietly, "Robert, put a man on the door and see if there is a cellar or attic, or anything."

"Be careful... and remember this is somebody's home." he then says aloud to the rest of the group.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:29, Tue 25 Dec 2012.

Minh Quyen
 player, 672 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 25 Dec 2012
at 18:33
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer sits at the kitchen table as he looks around, resting his rifle on his lap. He then glances over to Tucker and says quietly, "Robert, put a man on the door and see if there is a cellar or attic, or anything."


Quyen hears this and offers to inspect further "I can look."

If her offer is accepted Quyen will sling her rifle and draw her sidearm to free up one hand. She will keep it pointed at the floor and not too manacing looking but ready in case there is anything about to jump out. She will start looking for a cellar first, beginning with obvious places to hide trap doors like under rugs and then to suspicious floorboards (displaced dust, worn sides, nook holes in place of handles, etc).
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 710 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 25 Dec 2012
at 18:53
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
"That would be great," Griet replied to Connolly, "take a visit to the laundry room, we have lots of spare clothing there. You may want to layer up if you don't have your own cold weather gear."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2738 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 25 Dec 2012
at 22:00
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...

Daniel Larue:
As instructed, Danny keeps watch at the starboard rail, occasionally exchanging banter with McClurg.  The river is empty, save for a small flock of ducks.  Danny squints, gauges the range, gets a bad idea.  "Hey, Mac!  Do we have a shotgun on board?  I'm thinkin' roast pintail."  He frowns in thought.  "Holy crap!  Dude, it's the day after Thanksgiving!  We gotta do something for dinner!"


McCLurg shakes his head and smiles.

"Holy shit! You're right, Sarge. Time flies when you're having fun, I guess."

Not sure if LaRue is serious or joking about the bird, but clearly thinking it's not such a bad idea, given the occasion, he continues,

"I think I saw a shotgun in the weapons locker. I don't know about ammo, though. Speaking of food, Sarge, did you get some of that Polish kid's breakfast yet? That little bastard can cook!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:11, Tue 25 Dec 2012.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1447 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 25 Dec 2012
at 22:16
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Minh Quyen:
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer sits at the kitchen table as he looks around, resting his rifle on his lap. He then glances over to Tucker and says quietly, "Robert, put a man on the door and see if there is a cellar or attic, or anything."


Quyen hears this and offers to inspect further "I can look."

If her offer is accepted Quyen will sling her rifle and draw her sidearm to free up one hand. She will keep it pointed at the floor and not too manacing looking but ready in case there is anything about to jump out. She will start looking for a cellar first, beginning with obvious places to hide trap doors like under rugs and then to suspicious floorboards (displaced dust, worn sides, nook holes in place of handles, etc).

"Gotcha Boss," Tucker says back to Konrad as he turns to the other to hand out assignments.  "Craig, go with Minh.  Check everything before you open it in case it's boobytrapped.  Mari, you're with me on the door.  In case we need to talk to them, I'm with you or you're with Konrad."

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:31, Wed 26 Dec 2012.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 5 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Tue 25 Dec 2012
at 23:14
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Connolly flashes Griet a brief smile.  "Thanks, but I think I'm good for now.  I picked up a bunch of winter stuff from the Gypsy just before we met you."  She shrugs.  "I probably overpaid, but you can't eat Krugerrands, right?"  With that, she tosses Griet a wave and descends toward the engine room in search of Kel and his mechanical acumen.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:15, Tue 25 Dec 2012.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 599 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 25 Dec 2012
at 23:14
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...

Craig continued to scan forward of their position in the house. The occupant of the house seemed to be well feed just what he had been catching played on Craig's mind.

He had taken a knee behind some rubble outside of the building and even though it may have been slightly warmer inside he hoped he was more effective where he was.

When given the order to search the house Craig un-holsters his browning and begins the hunt.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:23, Thu 27 Dec 2012.

Daniel Larue
 player, 239 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Tue 25 Dec 2012
at 23:22
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
"Heck, yeah."  Danny nods enthusiastically at McClurg's praise of Mariusz.  "Kid's got skills and you don't have to bust his ass about housekeeping.  We oughta do something nice for him at the next friendly village.  Maybe get him laid."

He leans on the railing, still scanning the river and idly contemplating the ducks.  "Yeah, when you have a chance, can you see if we have any birdshot?  Come to think of it, we oughta trade for a couple of decent hunting guns.  It's gonna be a long-ass winter."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:23, Tue 25 Dec 2012.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1468 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 25 Dec 2012
at 23:51
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Thijs van Lincklaen:
As Konrad's party moved from house to house, Thijs said to Jan, "I cannot see them.  Perhaps we should move a little closer to provide cover."

Jan shook his head in response.  "We are to provide security for the boat.  That is our primary job.  If there is problem then the Capitaine or Tuck will radio us."

He kept scanning around though, listening as much as looking.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 506 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Thu 27 Dec 2012
at 04:21
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Jeff pokes his head over the side of the railing to the main cabin.

"Hey we have an armed group of riders approaching town from the West under a white flag.  Half of them turned around the way they came.  Get on the radio and tell the shore party.  I'll cover from here."

Debating using his rifle scope, he instead uses the powerful navigation binoculars that the boat has.  He looks for any sort of details, before moving on to the two men farther down the road.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 482 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Thu 27 Dec 2012
at 08:04
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Hearing talk of riders, Jay scanned around to see what he could see. He especially checked the other directions, in case this was some kind of diversion.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 711 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 27 Dec 2012
at 10:10
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
"Roger that," Griet said, acknowledging Warren's report.

She hit the intercom and said, "Riders coming in, they aren't acting threateningly but stand to."

Once she had alerted the crew she switched to the radio, "All shore stations, this is Queen. Riders spotted approaching us from the west. Half have turned away and the other half are coming forward under a white flag."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2745 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 27 Dec 2012
at 20:28
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...

Griet broadcasts Warren's report, allowing the shore party a minute or two to prepare for the two riders.

Before the call comes in, though, Minh finds a loose plank in the floor. Carefully prying it up, she finds a narrow crawlspace. It's not likely that the missing occupant of the cottage cound have squeezed through it. Instead, it appears to be secret a storage area. Inside, she finds a single, loose 7.92x57mm cartrige, a 7.62mm R ammo can full of paperwork, all of it in Polish, and a small duffel bag. Inside the bag, Minh finds at least a dozen pairs of undergarments, both male and female; they look to be used.

With Warren providing overwatch from the bridge roof, Konrad orients his team to receive the approaching riders. Jay, if he leans out over the starboard quarterdeck railing a bit, can just see the rider astride his horse close to the riverbank. Jay realizes that he would have a difficult time bringing the PKM to bear from this position. He'd probably be able to wield his rifle, if need be, but it would still be somewhat of an acrobatic shot. The riverside rider must see Jay through his binoculars because he waves at him in a friendly manner.

The white-flag riders slow as the near the dwelling occupied by most of the shore team but they don't appear to realize that there's anyone there. They study the place as they ride by but, not noticing anyone within, they ride past, heading for a path that leads from the road to the warf. (Konrad & co. may hail them as the riders pass, if they'd like.) Alerted by Griet's broadcast, Jan and Thijs spot the riders through the trees after they move past Konrad's team's cottage.

OOC: Aboard the tug, only Warren can see the two nearest riders and he can see the pair standing off as well. Jay can only see the distant rider nearest the river. No one on shore can see either of the stay-behind riders.

Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.002423,0.008256

Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:54, Fri 28 Dec 2012.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1126 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 27 Dec 2012
at 20:35
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
"Do you want me to go out and greet them, Sir," Mariusz asked Bayer.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1471 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 27 Dec 2012
at 21:30
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Jan made sure that Thijs could see the two riders approaching before reaching for his radio.

"Konrad.  Jan here," he transmitted. "How do you want to play this?  Do you want to let them go past you and I will intercept them to talk while you back us up or are you going to have Mariusz speak to them and we back you up?"
Craig Sutherland
 player, 600 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 27 Dec 2012
at 21:48
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...

Craig indicated they had company to Minh as the horsemen rode past. He then moved to a window or door and used it as cover as he watched them advance towards the tug.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 484 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Thu 27 Dec 2012
at 22:12
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Upon spying the rider observing them, Jay called out to the team on the boat. "Horseman on the right watching us."

He pulled out his recently acquired binoculars and trained them on the rider, trying to glean some information. He didn't yet acknowledge the greeting, preferring to leave the pleasantries to his superiors. He kept his rifle to hand, just in case.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:44, Fri 28 Dec 2012.

Daniel Larue
 player, 244 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Thu 27 Dec 2012
at 23:25
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
"Riders coming in, they aren't acting threateningly but stand to," crackles Griet's voice over the intercom.

The ducks earn a brief stay of execution.  Danny pushes off the railing.  He gives his gear a reflexive pat-down and shifts Winona to hang across his chest.  "Mac, I'm gonna jump over to the shore side just in case.  Take over here and yell out if anything shows up on the river."  He cuts through the galley to the opposite side of the tug, switching on his radio to monitor the landing party's chatter.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:30, Thu 27 Dec 2012.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 6 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Thu 27 Dec 2012
at 23:37
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Connolly and Kellerman are assessing damage in the machine shop when Griet's warning comes in.  The pilot straightens up and wipes grease off her hands.  "What now?" she asks rhetorically.

Kel, long since acclimated to her habits, doesn't bother with any more answer than a shrug.  He holds up one half of a severed power cable.  "Go on, ma'am.  I'll lock out the power in here before someone turns on the drill press and burns down the boat."

Connolly is already out of the compartment.  She pokes her head back through the hatch and snorts.  "Better tell Mac.  He was going to try to fix that Dishka mount, and we both know how accident-prone he is."  With that, she's gone, heading back up to the bridge.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1787 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 01:04
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Jan Cerny:
"Konrad.  Jan here," he transmitted. "How do you want to play this?  Do you want to let them go past you and I will intercept them to talk while you back us up or are you going to have Mariusz speak to them and we back you up?"

"Sunray. Protect the boat. Out." Bayer replies back over the radio.

Mariusz Tokarski:
"Do you want me to go out and greet them, Sir," Mariusz asked Bayer.


"With me." Bayer answers, before quickly turning to Tucker, "Robert, you and Lieutenant Sutherland make sure you are seen as well. Not threatening... just here inside the house, and armed. Post Quyen to watch our backs where the security team can't cover us."

Bayer then moves to the door with Mariusz and as he's stepping outside, he says quietly to his teammate behind him, "Alright Mariusz... call out to them. If something happens you run. I'll shoot." Bayer will keep both hands on his weapon, across his chest, but pointed down and the finger off the trigger. He'll keep to the side of Mariusz and out of the way if he needs to open fire.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:22, Fri 28 Dec 2012.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1460 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 03:17
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Konrad Bayer:
"With me." Bayer answers, before quickly turning to Frank, "Robert, you and Billy make sure you are seen as well. Not threatening... just here inside the house, and armed. Post Quyen to watch our backs where the security team can't cover us."

Bayer then moves to the door with Mariusz and as he's stepping outside, he says quietly to his teammate behind him, "Alright Mariusz... call out to them. If something happens you run. I'll shoot." Bayer will keep both hands on his weapon, across his chest, but pointed down and the finger off the trigger. He'll keep to the side of Mariusz and out of the way if he needs to open fire.

OOC: LOL!!!  Everyone loves Frank/Robert & Billy...

BIC: Robert nods to Bayer that he understands and moves so that they can get out of the door.  "Good luck you two.  We got your backs, no worries."

Frank calls for CRAIG and Minh to join him near the doorway but, closes the door after they leave the house.  "Need you to watch our Six Minh.  How did you two do in your sweep?

Craig, your with me in the front here.  Visible but, behind some cover or whatever we can find.  I'll be just outside the door here watching the meeting.  Anything goes down, I'll lay down cover fire first 'til I run dry, hopefully, those two will be under some cover or back in the house by then.  When I reload, I'll move and reload and we'll reasses from there.  You two good?"

Craig Sutherland
 player, 601 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 04:16
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg # 42):

Craig grabs the ammunition tin and moves it back with them to the house occupied by the away team. When asked he gives a quick assessment of the contents and takes up the position indicated by Tucker.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1473 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 08:34
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Konrad Bayer:
"Sunray. Protect the boat. Out." Bayer replies back over the radio..

"Understood.  Jan out," he replied over the radio.

He then turned to Thijs to update him.  "Konrad and Tuck's team are talking to these riders.  You keep watching in their direction and I will scan around in case this is a diversion."

Jan then adjusted his location slightly and started observing in an arc from the east to the south.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1127 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 11:41
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Mariusz walked out into the dropping temperatures of the approaching night and stood in the road to await the approaching riders.

As the mounted pair halted he smiled at them and said, "Hello, I'm Mariusz Tokarski of the Vistula Queen's Independent Commando Unit. This is my commander, Major Bayer. Do you want to talk out here or would you rather get out of the weather?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2747 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 16:47
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Mariusz Tokarski:
As the mounted pair halted he smiled at them and said, "Hello, I'm Mariusz Tokarski of the Vistula Queen's Independent Commando Unit. This is my commander, Major Bayer. Do you want to talk out here or would you rather get out of the weather?"


When Mariusz hails them from the house they've just passed, the two horsemen are clearly somewhat startled, instinctively reaching for their weapons (one handed), but when they see that neither Mariusz or Konrad are pointing a weapon at them, they immediately stand down. As if to compensate for the potentially explosive, involuntary gesture, the rider with the truce flag resumes waiving it with renewed vigor.

Turning his horse to face the occupied building, the rider addresses Mariusz in strongly-accented but passable Polish,

"Good morning. My name is Yvegeny and we are from the 89th cavalry division. We are finished with this fucking war. I see that you have a big boat. My unit needs to cross the river to get home to our motherland. Perhaps we can work a deal?"

By his accent, clothing, and accroutrements, it is obvious that these men are, or were, Soviet soldiers.

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:50, Fri 28 Dec 2012.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1128 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 17:37
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Mariusz continued smiling, "He says he's Yvegeny of the 89th Cavalry. He'd like to negotiate using the barge to get his unit across the river. I'll ask him how many and how many horses while you decide if it's feasible, Sir."

"Good day, Yvegeny," Mariusz said in Russian, "in order for my Kaptain to make a decision he'll need to know how many men and how many horses. I know that may be sensitive information but our boat isn't configured for horse transport so we'll need to get creative. We need an idea on how creative we need to get."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2748 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 17:52
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Mariusz Tokarski:
Mariusz continued smiling, "He says he's Yvegeny of the 89th Cavalry. He'd like to negotiate using the barge to get his unit across the river. I'll ask him how many and how many horses while you decide if it's feasible, Sir."

"Good day, Yvegeny," Mariusz said in Russian, "in order for my Kaptain to make a decision he'll need to know how many men and how many horses. I know that may be sensitive information but our boat isn't configured for horse transport so we'll need to get creative. We need an idea on how creative we need to get."


The two riders looked at each other, expressions of pleased surprise briefly flashing across their grimy faces.

"There are about 300 of us, and almost as many horses. We are building a raft but it has no power. Your boat could help us move the raft. It would probably take a few trips to get all of us across. We don't have much but we will find a way to pay you. But there is an issue of, er, security. There are Soviet soldiers in Torun who want to stop us and they've got, er, a boat of their own."

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:57, Fri 28 Dec 2012.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1129 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 18:04
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
"I'll just update my Boss," Mariusz said.

"He says there are three hundred men and the same number of horses," Mariusz translated, "they have a raft we could use to help but he says there are Soviets at Torun with a boat of their own that might cause us problems."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1790 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 18:05
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Bayer listens to Mariusz's translation and exhales deeply, thinking to himself three hundred... He then says, "Tell him we can work out a deal."

While his teammate talks, Bayer relays the situation to Griet and the others.

Bayer then asks, "Mari.. we're going to need more info to decide. Like what kind of boat is in Torun, where is this raft, and what they can spare as trade. Get him talking."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1791 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 18:09
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Bayer then toggles his radio again, "Jan, Bayer... take control of the shore party and conduct a thorough sweep the village. Send one runner to my position. Over."

This message was last edited by the player at 18:10, Fri 28 Dec 2012.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1130 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 18:22
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
"My Boss is interested," Mariusz said, "but he says we need more information. Where is your raft? What sort of boat would we be facing and what sort of stuff do you have to trade for our services?"

"I'd be truthful," Mariusz advised, "we've fought massive odds before and if it looks like an uneven fight we won't necessarily shy away from it. If you tell us it's a bathtub with a machine gun and it turns out to be the Battleship Potemkin all that will happen is that we'll be dead on the bottom of the river and you'll still be stuck this side. If you're not sure what sort of boat it is describe its size, armament and a guess at its speed."

He thought about things and added, "We're light on boat to boat armament, do you have anything we could use?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2749 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 18:49
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Mariusz Tokarski:
"My Boss is interested," Mariusz said, "but he says we need more information. Where is your raft? What sort of boat would we be facing and what sort of stuff do you have to trade for our services?"

"I'd be truthful," Mariusz advised, "we've fought massive odds before and if it looks like an uneven fight we won't necessarily shy away from it. If you tell us it's a bathtub with a machine gun and it turns out to be the Battleship Potemkin all that will happen is that we'll be dead on the bottom of the river and you'll still be stuck this side. If you're not sure what sort of boat it is describe its size, armament and a guess at its speed."

He thought about things and added, "We're light on boat to boat armament, do you have anything we could use?"


The man chuckles at Mariusz's 'Battleship Potemkin' comment.

"The truth, of course. The raft is just this side of Wloclawek. We are building it in some woods so that the Torun troops don't see it. We tried to raise an old ferryboat to help us cross but the Torun monitor came and destroyed it. The same happened with a bridge we tried to build over the damn. The Torun garrison has patrols watching Wloclawek. Any time we get close to crossing, the monitor comes. The Torun commander wants us to stay in Poland and help him continue with this stupid war. We've been stuck here for a week trying to get across. Torun won't send troops to Wloclawek because they don't want to lose a fight. But with their monitor, they can control the river. The monitor is... well, it looks like a landing craft that has been, er, how you say, modified with armor and such. It has a turret with probably a 76mm gun and a could of heavy machineguns. It is not fast, but it's armor is tough.

"We have a few heavy weapons but we don't have the horses to pull them. We have little food for men or horse now. We have had to slaughter the draft animals. We have one ZU-23-2 and one 120mm Sani mortar. Perhaps you could take them as payment. The monitor destroyed our other ZU and our Vasilek, but we have some 82mm ammunition left.

"And we also have couple of NATO prisoners we plan on releasing when we get across the Vistula- one of them was in the navy and the other is a combat pioneer. Perhaps you could use them as well."


-

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:54, Fri 28 Dec 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1794 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 19:12
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Bayer listens again, then says, "If they can send us a radio operator and a working set, to liaise and coordinate with us while we make our own preparations, that would be helpful. I am willing to cooperate but need to consult with my ship's officer and staff first. We'll be here at the dock waiting for your man."

If they don't have a working radio, Bayer will opt to take aboard a senior officer instead.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 19:13, Fri 28 Dec 2012.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1477 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 23:13
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer then toggles his radio again, "Jan, Bayer... take control of the shore party and conduct a thorough sweep the village. Send one runner to my position. Over."

"Jan.  Understood.  Will conduct sweep eastwards of dock.  Out," he transmitted in reply.  He paused briefly before pressing the transmit toggle button again, this time contacting Griet.  "Queen.  Jan here.  Send Jay, Jeff and Danny to my position."

He then muttered to Thijs beside him, conscious that he wasn't on the radio net and needed to be kept in the loop.  "The two of us and Jay and Jeff are going to sweep eastwards through the rest of the village.  Danny is going to join Konrad as a runner."  As smile then came over his face.  "Konrad and Mariusz are negotiating us acting as a ferry service for several hundred Russian Calvary who want to go home and need to cross the river."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1131 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 23:39
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
"So the commander at Torun's a hard-liner and he has a river monitor," Mariusz summarised, "what sort of forces can he muster?"
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 86 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Fri 28 Dec 2012
at 23:48
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Thijs nodded and said, "Must be some of the cavalry I saw in Torun.  If they are trying to cross the river, whoever controls the standing bridge there must oppose their doing so."

He waited with Jan for the arrival of the Ghurka and the spook before setting out to sweep the village.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2752 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 00:39
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Mariusz Tokarski:
"So the commander at Torun's a hard-liner and he has a river monitor," Mariusz summarised, "what sort of forces can he muster?"


The Russian frowns for a moment, clearly not happy about the odds,

"About 1,100 men, 300 of them mounted."
Craig Sutherland
 player, 603 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 01:01
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...

Cradling his G3 Craig was very interested in the conversation going on around him. The monitor sounded like a viable target on its own, but once the garrison was factored in it did not sound like the cake walk Craig hopped for. Couple of RPG grenades job done was what he had been thinking.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1795 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 03:37
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Cap'n Rae:
The Russian frowns for a moment, clearly not happy about the odds,

"About 1,100 men, 300 of them mounted."


"Not a problem." Bayer retorts dismissively. "Now... will you send us a radioman and working set? I say nothing more at this time until I consult with my council." Once a reply comes, Bayer nods respectfully to the men and motions for Mariusz to conclude the parlay.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:21, Sat 29 Dec 2012.

Minh Quyen
 player, 673 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 04:13
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Quyen lets out a victorious but quiet "Yesss..." to herself upon finding the hidden stash. If there was anything to be found she expected to discover people hiding but this meant less hassel and maybe a easy pay day. When she opens the duffle something in the back of her mind clicks and she stares at it for a moment before closing it up. I hope not she thinks. She takes the ammo can full of papers in one hand and and tosses the duffel over her other shoulder before getting back up.

Quyen then moves over and crouches next to Tucker who is covering Konrad and she whispers "I found something Sergeant. Need Griet or Mariusz to know what it is for sure though. Could be nothing." By the way the men on horses passed the house without interest she guessed they weren't the ones living here so taking the items with them would be easy. She then says "And something else too... what kind of animal bones do you think those are outside?"

This message was last edited by the player at 04:14, Sat 29 Dec 2012.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1465 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 05:23
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
In reply to Minh Quyen (msg # 61):

Tucker Looks over to Minh and nods in approval.  "OK, we'll have Mari take a look at it I guess when he's done with Konrad.  I hope it's an animal.  Danny might be better to determine if they're human or not.  I would hope deer or a dog.  Maybe he was using the bones for snare traps or something?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2753 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 05:44
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Konrad Bayer:
"Not a problem." Bayer retorts dismissively. "Now... will you send us a radioman and working set? I say nothing more at this time until I consult with my council." Once a reply comes, Bayer nods respectfully to the men and motions for Mariusz to conclude the parlay.


"That can be arranged. I will tell my commander that you will help us and then I will return here with a radioman. We will be back in about two hours."

At the conclusion of the parlay the two riders depart at a fast trot.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:45, Sat 29 Dec 2012.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1796 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 07:00
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
As Bayer motions for Mariusz to follow, Bayer turns to face the house and calls, "Sergeant Tucker, you and your men on me... we're falling back to the boat. Jan and his men will finish sweeping the village."
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 488 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 08:40
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Upon receiving his new orders, Jay gathered up his ear and quickly headed off to find Jan. As always he moved quietly across the ground, cradling his AK74.
Daniel Larue
 player, 247 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 12:59
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Danny, already monitoring the radio traffic, hears Jan's summons.  He waves to the wheelhouse in acknowledgement and jumps to the dock, trying to ignore the stab of ice from the titanium screws in his right leg.  Not getting any younger.  He waits on the dock for Jay and Warren, surreptitiously massaging his thigh.  Once the others arrive, he moves off toward Jan's position at a brisk trot.  "Sunray, Coyote," he transmits as a reflexive blue-on-blue deterrent, "three of us comin' in from the dock."

Arriving, he gives Jan a respectful nod, then faces outward to scan the riverbank.  "Hey, Jan, what'd'we got?"  He nods toward Konrad as the commander and his party begin moving back toward the tug.  "He still need a runner?"

This message was last edited by the player at 13:06, Sat 29 Dec 2012.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 7 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 13:11
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Connolly, closer to the radio than Griet, fastens her armor's last closure and leans in and grabs the mic.  "Queen acknowledges," she replies, then switches to the intercom.  "Jay, Larue, Mister Warren, report to Jan for recon duty."

She turns to Griet, realizing she may have usurped something the captain considers her exclusive domain.  "Ah, sorry, Griet.  Reflex."  She gestures vaguely toward the radio.  "We'll still need watch coverage.  Mac on top watch, Kel on the river?"

This message was last edited by the player at 13:44, Sat 29 Dec 2012.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1466 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 13:45
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Konrad Bayer:
As Bayer motions for Mariusz to follow, Bayer turns to face the house and calls, "Sergeant Tucker, you and your men on me... we're falling back to the boat. Jan and his men will finish sweeping the village."

Tucker gives a simple wave of acknowledgement and calls back into the house for Minh and Craig.  "Moving back out to the Queen you two.  Minh, bring your stash for Mari to look at."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 712 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 14:03
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
"Yes, that'll be fine," Griet said absently to Connolly as she studied the river charts, a plan forming slowly in her mind.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2755 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 16:39
And the Wind Began to Howl

With the departure of the Soviet 89th CD envoys, Konrad and his shore party start walking back to the tug, leaving the strange cottage with its crawl space, locked icebox, and oversized chopping block behind. Perhaps between now and the return of the envoys, the cottage's occupant will show himself. Perhaps Jan's clearing team will find him during the balance of its sweep of the settlement.

It's growing colder. The wind is picking up and the dark wall of clouds to the northwest are closing in fast, nearly blotting out the skyline downriver. The heavy clouds most certainly are bringing precipitation with them, whether it be rain, snow, or some mixture thereof remains to be seen.

There's much to do between now and the riders' return two hours hence. Anneka and Gunther need to be burried, the port side Dushka needs repair, and a plan for how to help the 300 men and horses of the 89th cross the Vistula and tackle Torun's considerable military strength must be forumlated. There's no time to lose.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:42, Sat 29 Dec 2012.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 713 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 17:04
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Griet pulled up the hood of her parka and donned her gloves before heading off to check on the damaged Dushka. Before leaving the shelter of the bridge she sent out a message over the intercom and radio, "Anyone with experience of repairing weaponry should meet me at the damaged Dushka. We need it fixed as a matter of urgency."

She then radioed Bayer, "Kaptain," she began, "the dam the 89th mentioned is a major chokepoint. The charts show a navigable lock that is less than a hundred meters wide. The damage to the dam can't be too devastating if the 89th were trying to bridge it. If the monitor isn't this side of the dam and we can draw it through that lock then we can slaughter it at the chokepoint. The advantage we have is mobility and indirect fire. If we can locate the monitor we can use the 120mm mortar and 82mm mortar to shell it. That will force it to come to us. If it is north of the dam I would recommend mining the lock."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1468 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 17:33
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Tucker approaches Mariusz and Konrad when they're done with their meeting.  "Possible Intel boss that Minh found in a floor board.  It's in Poish and wanted Mari to take a look at it to see if it's anything good.

What's the deal with these guys?  They want us to cross them over and their 'comrades' have a fuckin' patrol boat or something to that matter?"

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 8 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 18:20
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Connolly settles in on the bridge, taking over the radio watch.  She scowls at the oncoming storm without really seeing it.  Behind her eyes, personnel markers are shifting around her mental map of the tug and the local area.  After a moment's concentration, she reaches for the intercom mic again.  "All hands," she advises, "check your work areas and report any damage Sergeant Kellerman.  Airman McClurg, kit up and take over topside watch.  Sergeant Kellerman, continue with damage survey."  She eyes Larue's thermometer, then adds, "all outside personnel are now on one-hour rotation."

Flipping to a new page on her clipboard, she logs her orders, notes the time, and reaches for a pair of binoculars.
Daniel Larue
 player, 249 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 19:56
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Kneeling by the chopping stump, Danny rotates half a weathered bone in his hands.  His face is professionally blank, the same expression any observer would have seen him wearing while he was elbow-deep in Anneka.  He lets his breath hiss out in a stream of mist.  "Femur.  Adult," he murmurs to himself.  He puts it down and picks up a second.  "Pelvis.  Teenage female."  A third.  "Tibia.  Juvenile with a healed greenstick fracture."

He rises to his feet and pushes into the house, returning a moment later with an iron poker from the hearth.  "All stations, Coyote," he growls.  "I confirm human remains at the meat house.  Stand by."  He rounds the corner and leans the poker against the padlocked icebox.  After checking the defunct appliance for tripwires, he stands so the opening door will shield him from anything that might come out, then sets the poker's tip inside the lock's shackle.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:35, Sun 30 Dec 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2758 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 20:40
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl

LaRue pops the lock and lifts the lid of the icebox. Looking inside, his eyes meet the cold, cloudy blue eyes of a teenaged boy. A grey-skinned torso and head are crammed inside the box face-up, old snow packed around the dead flesh. One arm, severed near the shoulder, rests atop the body. There's no sign of the other limbs, or of the the young man's genitalia.

At that moment, something strikes the lid of the box, with a loud THWACK!, jarring it out of LaRue's grip. A near-simultaneous gunshot accompanies the impact of the bullet. No one sees where the shot came from.

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:42, Sat 29 Dec 2012.

Daniel Larue
 player, 250 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 21:53
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Danny, already half-expecting an explosion or a spring-loaded axe, is in motion as soon as the bullet strikes.  Letting the poker tumble to the ground, he darts around the house's northeast corner and shoulders through the front door, then tucks himself behind the cover of the door frame as he readies Winona.  "All stations, Coyote," he snarls into his radio, "contact at the meat house.  Shooter's probably north or west of the ville."

Danny
Winona [30/30 + 5 magazines] - ready, on SEMI
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

I don't eat cannibals, but I sure do shoot them

This message was last edited by the player at 21:54, Sat 29 Dec 2012.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 604 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 22:15
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl


Once he had returned to the tug Craig had offered to continue repairing the defences. He had started by assessing the boxes on the quarter deck that made up the main defence of the position. Repairing those he could and identifying those that would need extensive repairs. He intended to recover some wood from the village once it had been cleared.

When he heard the shot and received the radio call Craig took up his G3 and began scanning the area indicated through his scope. It sounded though his fears had been proven correct.

Scanning for shooter
Tugs quarter deck

HK G3SG/1 (w/ Zeiss 1.5-6 x 42 mm Telescopic Sight)[20/20]
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 491 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sat 29 Dec 2012
at 22:45
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Upon hearing the shot, Jay instinctively ducked and spun around, scanning the area for the shooter. As yet he wasn't sure if it was a booby trap activated by Danny opening the appliance, or if there was a gunman on the loose. He quickly moved into the gloom of a dark corner, putting a wall to his back. He held his rifle ready. If he spies any target he will fire a double tap.

OOC - I am assuming that Jay is somewhere near the door of he room when the bullet is fired.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:46, Sat 29 Dec 2012.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 509 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Sun 30 Dec 2012
at 08:20
Re: Two Riders Were Approaching...
Jeff took the rear position of the sweeping team.  He had decided to keep his Sniper Rifle, leaving the AKSU on the boat.  In hindsight he could have carried both comfortably, but honestly wasn't expecting an active shooter within the village now that the envoys had left.

At the sound of the gunshot, he drops to a knee instinctively before scurrying for the nearest building.  He takes cover against the wall, avoiding a window, and begins to look and listen for the sniper.  He draws his mask up over most of his face, so his icey breath won't give away his position any more then it has to.  Jeff's plan is to let the others draw a second shot, so that he can start working towards counter-sniping this hostile.


Jeff Warren
Taking maximum cover near a building, trying to figure out where Sniper is
SAKO TRG [10/10]+6

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1470 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 30 Dec 2012
at 16:22
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
In reply to Griet Niewiadomska (msg # 71):

Before the ambush kicks off, Tucker would've reported to the damaged Dushka for Griet.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1484 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 30 Dec 2012
at 18:24
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Jan and his team had just finished searching their second abandoned and thoroughly looted house when he heard the retort of a single gunshot from somewhere west of their position.  It didn't sound like a shot fired at them however and that was confirmed by Danny's transmission.

"Coyote.  Jan here.  On way to your position with my team.  Out," he transmitted in reply to Danny.

He then called his team together, bringing those not on the radio net up to speed.  "Someone has just fired at Danny who is over in that house to the west that the others found some intel in.  We are going there quickly but keep a look out for the shooter.  I will lead.  Thijs take the left, Jay the right and Jeff bringing up the rear.  Ok, let us go."
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 87 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Sun 30 Dec 2012
at 18:42
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
In reply to Jan Cerny (msg # 82):

Thijs nodded and took position on Jan's southern flank, moving through the remnants of the village.  His head swivelled back and forth, dividing his attention between looking for the shooter and picking out a path so as not to stumble.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 714 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 31 Dec 2012
at 09:05
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
"Thank you, Tuck," Griet said as he appeared to help her on the machine gun,"if you can find out what is wrong here, I can assist you with any repairs."

She bent over the damaged gun and followed what Tuck did and told her to do very carefully.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1132 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 31 Dec 2012
at 09:08
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Once Mariusz and Bayer got back to the Queen, Mariusz asked the Kaptain, "Do you want me to look at those papers now or should I do something topside before the weather closes in?"

He didn't like the idea of being inside when others were getting cold doing physical labour, but he was happy to follow Bayer's suggestions, the man saw further ahead in the game than he did.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1798 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 31 Dec 2012
at 12:06
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Mariusz Tokarski:
Once Mariusz and Bayer got back to the Queen, Mariusz asked the Kaptain, "Do you want me to look at those papers now or should I do something topside before the weather closes in?"


"Let's get a quick look at them." Bayer answers, removing his helmet and heading up to the wheelhouse. He then calls over to Minh to pass off the items she found, though not without nodding to her his thanks, "Well done."

Bayer then stands in the wheelhouse where he will keep watch while Mariusz reads over the papers and Jan's shore party deals with the situation on land. He'll also monitor his radio.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 12:07, Mon 31 Dec 2012.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2761 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 31 Dec 2012
at 18:46
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl

Jan's team quickly moves west to the cottage where LaRue waits alone. Looking west, Thijs spots a hint of movement in a shallow draw running north-south towards the river, about 80m from the hamlet's westernmost structure. The brief and uncertain glimple is not enough to offer him a target, though. If what Thijs spotted is indeed the shooter, the man (or woman) has cover and a position offering defilade. However, if the sweep team can no longer see the shooter, it is also possible that the shooter can no longer see it.

Having fired only a single shot at the intruders, the shooter does not appear to be on the offensive.

Back on board the tug, Craig looks for the shooter through his rifle scope, trying to locate the shooter, but can see little more than a few meters inland from the river due to the dense foliage and folds in the wooded terrain. Griet, Tucker, and McClurg attempt a repair of the port side Dushka. Under the direction of McClurg, Tucker and Griet make the necessary adjustments, restoring the heavy Soviet machinegun to operational status.

Konrad and Mariusz inspect the documents in the ammunition tin. The collection consists of various personal identification papers- discharge papers, travel permits, a birth certificate, etc.- belonging to at least a dozen individuals, most of them Polish citizens. Standing out among the Polish documents is a U.S. military I.D. card for one Smith P. Wofford.

Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.002423,0.008256

Next moves?
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1471 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 31 Dec 2012
at 21:51
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Griet Niewiadomska:
"Thank you, Tuck," Griet said as he appeared to help her on the machine gun,"if you can find out what is wrong here, I can assist you with any repairs."

She bent over the damaged gun and followed what Tuck did and told her to do very carefully.

"I'm not too great with the heavy shit like this Griet, especially the PACT stuff but, as long as we're not too much in a hurry, both of us should be able to figure it out."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1488 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 1 Jan 2013
at 23:18
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Jan did not fancy hunting a lone gunman in his own back yard if the could avoid it.

"Danny," Jan called out.  "Do you have any idea where the shooter is?"
Daniel Larue
 player, 256 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Wed 2 Jan 2013
at 01:09
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
"Hang on," Danny responds.  He lets Winona lead the way out of the house and back around the corner.  Kneeling behind the icebox and trying not think about its contents, he recovers the fireplace poker and cautiously raises the box's lid.  "Northwest of the house," he calls, gauging the impact angle from the bullet hole in the lid.  "I didn't see the flash but it was close... call it fifty to sixty meters."
Craig Sutherland
 player, 605 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 2 Jan 2013
at 01:55
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Seeing the limited help that he could be where he was Craig moved to the crows nest position hoping the added height may help.

He redeploys the bipod on his G3 before using his binoculars to try and spot the threat.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:56, Wed 02 Jan 2013.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1489 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 2 Jan 2013
at 19:08
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Daniel Larue:
"Hang on," Danny responds.  He lets Winona lead the way out of the house and back around the corner.  Kneeling behind the icebox and trying not think about its contents, he recovers the fireplace poker and cautiously raises the box's lid.  "Northwest of the house," he calls, gauging the impact angle from the bullet hole in the lid.  "I didn't see the flash but it was close... call it fifty to sixty meters."

Jan glanced quickly in the direction Danny indicated before reacting to what the medic had said.  To start with he quietly issued some instructions to his section.

"Jeff.  Thijs.  Cover northwest and if you see a target then shoot it.  Jay, keep a watch on our flanks and rear in case he tries to flank us."

He then switched to Polish and called out more loudly.  "Nie chcemy kłopotów. Jesteś zwolniony od nas. Zostaw i nie będziemy cię skrzywdzić. Pożar na nas jeszcze raz i będziemy polować na dół cię zabić. No drugie ostrzeżenie!"*


OOC - *this should mean "We don't want trouble.  You fired on us.  Leave and we won't harm you.  Fire at us again and we will hunt you down kill you.  No second warning!"
Minh Quyen
 player, 674 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 2 Jan 2013
at 21:37
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
After Quyen hands over the ammo box with the papers she drops the duffel bag on the deck and says "There is something else too. I found clothes from different people. But it was hidden. People don't hide clothes like that without a reason, like they have a secret." Shen then says "There were also many bones around the house but no skulls." Quyen then gives Konrad a look and leaves it at that.

Quyen then follows Konrad and Mariusz up to the bridge where she asks "Where can I be of best help? Sentry or repairs?"

This message was last edited by the player at 21:37, Wed 02 Jan 2013.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2763 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 2 Jan 2013
at 23:55
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl

Despite Danny's renewed tinkering with the corpse-stuffed cooler, the cottage's occupent refuses to reveal him/herself again with a second shot at the medic/intruder. Apart from Thijs' fleeting glimpse of movement (he's not so sure he didn't just imagine it, now) there's been no subsequent sign of the shooter. (The sweep team is still near the cottage, at the moment.)

Back on the tug, Kel and Tadeuz conduct a thorough inspection of the tug's uppers, looking for structural damage. Despite being rather dinged up- she certainly looks like she's just been through a fairly intense battle- the Wisla Krolowa is fully functional. Belowdecks, the engine and moving parts appear to be in good working order. Fuel, although not yet a major issue, is something to be mindful of. The tug was carrying a full load of wood for its boilers when you left Gora Kalwaria following the conclusion of the Warsaw fighting. Now, she's at about 3/4 capacity. There's a lot of dead wood ashore here, so collecting additional fuel wouldn't be a problem, save perhaps for the testy neighbor still on the loose.

Although the entire Kommando hasn't had a chance yet to get gather and put all of the puzzle pieces together, each piece of evidence uncovered so far could lead to the inference that a homicidal cannibal of some sort is currently the lone resident of X. How this individual comes across his/her victims is not clear and, based on the garments and documents Minh discovered in his home, he/she doesn't seem to be too particular as to who the prey is. The undergarments too, suggest that the motive for killing is something more than simple survival (i.e. cannibalism).

Anneka and Gunther's body are layed out on deck, under a tarp. If they are to be burried here, there's not much time to dig before it starts raining or snowing. Once the expected precipitation starts, it'll still be possible to dig graves, but it will probably be an even less pleasant task. (One might recall the scene in Young Frankenstein when Dr. Frankenstein and Igor are digging up a corpse" "It could be worse." -Igor. "Oh yes? How?" -Dr. "It could be raining." -Igor)

The radioman from the rogue Soviet 89th cavalry division should be arriving in about two hours, if the weather doesn't get too much worse.


Next Moves?
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1474 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 3 Jan 2013
at 00:56
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
As the Dushka is done being repaired, Tucker fastens his strap on his kevlar helmet and starts to swing it into action towards the house they were out.  "Anyone got eyes on or a location of the threat?"
Craig Sutherland
 player, 607 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 3 Jan 2013
at 01:43
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl


Craig stayed in the crows nest and would stand up if that gave him a better view with his binoculars. If the area the shooter was in was still hidden from his view he would return to the quarter deck and continue the repairs and assessment of the damage.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 511 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Thu 3 Jan 2013
at 07:38
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Time passes without any sign of the shooter.  Slowly Jeff relaxes and looks to the others who seem to do the same.

"We should continue clearing these houses, then return to the main party.  They'll probably need work parties before long if we're going to stay here for a few more hours.  I don't like the look of the weather."
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 493 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Thu 3 Jan 2013
at 08:49
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Jay maintained his watch on both flanks, alternating between each side on an irregular patern. He kept low and held his rifle ready.

As time passed he wondered if the shooter had gone to ground, hoping that the Kommando would leave. However, Jay wasn't prepared to take that for granted. If there was a cannibal on the loose, he intended to put him down.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 715 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 3 Jan 2013
at 11:22
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Griet thanked Tuck and McClurg for their work on the heavy machine gun and made sure that it was well-wrapped against the oncoming storm. Once she had done that, she frowned at the thought of a crazy madman out there.

Soon, the weather would close in and reduce visibility to practically nothing and the fancy night vision gear would be useless in icy rain. The man could make himself a real pain in the ass if they didn't track him down soon.

She returned to Bayer on the bridge and said, "If this guy isn't killed before the storm comes in I'm going to move the Queen to the centre of the harbour so the bastard will have to swim to us if he wants to get aboard. We'll need to have someone on the bridge at all times and keep the boilers running but it will give us more security."

"Another option would be to make a show of digging a grave and stop when the rain starts." Griet said, as cold-blooded as ever when it came to the safety of her boat, "get rid of the guy's supplies and leave the dead gunner's body out to bury in the morning. then we set snipers on the site and get the bastard if he comes for the bait."

She'd have added Anneka's body to the bait if she thought she could get away with it. The woman was dead now and all that was left was a husk.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1799 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 3 Jan 2013
at 12:04
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
"We can't leave it be. The Russians are sending us a radio operator. He won't make it with a hostile force in the area." Bayer replies, exchanging a glance between the sky and village. He was growing impatient and almost radioed Jan to torch the house to draw the man out, but it would still be burning by the time the Russian got here - and could interfere with everything.

Toggling the radio, Bayer ask Jan for a SITREP, and then says, "Leave a man in wait and withdraw everyone back to the tug. Make sure he knows that a friendly will be approaching the same way as the horsemen came. Over."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 716 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 3 Jan 2013
at 21:17
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Griet spoke to Bayer for a little longer, "I used to come here as a teenager," she said, "it was a training centre for sailing and my Uncle Boris, a Party official got me on the course to help boost my grades with extra-curricular credits. I used to sleep in the building over there. There is a church down the road with a big graveyard. We might want to use the mausoleums there rather than dig a grave. If I remember there was even a Jewish section we could lay Anneka to rest in."

She frowned, "When we were here we used to play in the bluffs around here, they were steep and filled with caves. It was an adventure to search for caveman stuff. If the cannibal is local they might know about the caves and use them to hide in."

She looked at Walter, "If we do moor in the middle of the harbour we'll need to face the prow into the westerlies, they were a bitch when the wind was in the right quarter."

She turned back to face the residential centre. She had spent many summers there and at the time she had loved it, young, pretty and possessed with natural charisma, Griet had been the centre of attention and the undoubted leader of the girls. She had also been a bitch, filling the void in her heart by making other kids' lives a misery. She remembered on fat little girl who had been a particular target. She had endured three weeks of hell and had never returned.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1492 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 3 Jan 2013
at 22:52
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Jeff D. Warren:
Time passes without any sign of the shooter.  Slowly Jeff relaxes and looks to the others who seem to do the same.

"We should continue clearing these houses, then return to the main party.  They'll probably need work parties before long if we're going to stay here for a few more hours.  I don't like the look of the weather."

Jan nodded in agreement with Jeff.

"Yes, he has made his point and now left.  This is a fight he cannot win and he has enough sense to avoid it."

Konrad Bayer:
Toggling the radio, Bayer ask Jan for a SITREP

"The man has gone," Jan answered over the radio.  "Hunting him would be very dangerous.  This is his territory.  What do you want us to do now?"

Konrad Bayer:
"Leave a man in wait and withdraw everyone back to the tug. Make sure he knows that a friendly will be approaching the same way as the horsemen came. Over."

"Are you sure?" Jan replied.  "He will be out on his own against a man with a rifle who knows the territory.  Are we setting a trap?  Or do you want him at the house closest to the dock as a forward sentry?  I do not understand fully.  Please explain again."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1800 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 00:19
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Jan Cerny:
"Are you sure?" Jan replied.  "He will be out on his own against a man with a rifle who knows the territory.  Are we setting a trap?  Or do you want him at the house closest to the dock as a forward sentry?  I do not understand fully.  Please explain again."


Bayer replies over the net, "Roger. A trap. The weather is worsening, if he tries to return home I want a Kommando lying in wait. He is one man... soon we will be at war with a thousand men. Over."

Bayer then listens as Griet tells him her story and says quietly, "That sounds nice. I mean... what you said about coming here before." He then says, glancing out the wheelhouse window and shaking his head at the inconvenient situation, "If he stays in the caves I'll be happy. I just don't want him interfering with the Russian liaison or near the boat. Loners and hermits usually keep to themselves... I am hoping he will."

Bayer then remembers the mentally disturbed old man he met upriver, living in the shack with the wild dogs as the only company. He wondered what he was doing right now. Bayer then realizes he still had the medal the old man gave to him and sighs deeply.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1493 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 00:26
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer replies over the net, "Roger. A trap. The weather is worsening, if he tries to return home I want a Kommando lying in wait. He is one man... soon we will be at war with a thousand men. Over."

"Understood.  Jan out," he replied over the radio before turning to Jay.

"Jay, when we pull out of here you stay hidden and see if the shooter returns.  If he does then kill him.  There will be Russians along soon so do not do anything to them.  Also do you want my radio?"  If Jay did then Jan handed it over.

Once Jay was organised then Jan called quietly to Danny who was still inside the house.  "Danny, pull out now and join us.  We are to go back to the boat."  After the medic joined them Jan led Jeff, Thijs and Danny back to the boat.
Daniel Larue
 player, 259 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 00:47
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
At Jan's order, Danny rejoins the sweep team, wearing a grim expression.  "Somethin' you need to know, dude," he advises Jan in a low voice.  "The reason that fuck took a shot at me is that I found his stash."  He spits, then continues, "There's a chopped-up kid in that freezer."

He faces outward, scanning the terrain, and concludes, "It's Konrad's call, but I'm guessin' we don't wanna be associated with that shit if the Russians decide to check the box too."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:10, Fri 04 Jan 2013.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 512 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 11:12
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
"Jan, I can stay instead. I speak and look Russian, and this is exactly the kind of stuff I've been doing for 10 years now. "

If Jay is still the one to guard, Jeff shrugs and heads to the boat with the others. He'll accompany Craig in the snipers nest.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 717 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 17:44
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Griet got on the intercom and detailed several people to various tasks.

"Anyone not actively on guard or involved in sweeping the village report to the aft deck and let's get some work done," she said.

She met the work parties and said, "OK, one party needs to start filling some sandbags, go down fairly deep as we can always use it as a grave later. Second party I'd like some work done on the deck damage, make sure there are no sharp edges to cause injuries and clear any debris from the deck."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1133 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 17:47
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Griet grabbed Mariusz and took him to work on the sandbag party.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1802 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 20:37
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Minh Quyen:
Quyen then follows Konrad and Mariusz up to the bridge where she asks "Where can I be of best help? Sentry or repairs?"

"Repairs." Bayer answers. "I know the engineers taught you more than just how to blow things up." he adds with a friendly nod.

When Jan and his team arrives back at the Queen, he splits them up into the two work parties that are already on the go, "Robert and Jan... repairs with Quyen and Lieutenant Sutherland. Thijs, Larue, and Warren-or-Jay... sandbag detail with Mariusz." He then jots down a simple 20 minute rotating sentry for all to partake in.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 497 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 20:44
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
As Jay began to prepare for his solo mission, Jeff interjected. His logic seemed sound, so Jay nodded that he was happy for Jeff to take the detail instead, unless anyone disagreed.

OOC - happy for Jeff to take this one if he wants. I guess he has a radio and NVGs.
Minh Quyen
 player, 675 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 21:03
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Konrad Bayer:
"Repairs." Bayer answers. "I know the engineers taught you more than just how to blow things up." he adds with a friendly nod.


Quyen smiles slightly and answers "Yes sir. I do prefer one over the other but I am good at both." She then makes her way outside where she finds Craig and takes stock of what tools they had available. Then after she zipps up the oversized tankers jacket and cups her hands to light up a smoke, Minh will get to work dealing with the aft damage.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1496 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 22:51
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Jeff D. Warren:
"Jan, I can stay instead. I speak and look Russian, and this is exactly the kind of stuff I've been doing for 10 years now. "

Mrityunjay Byanjankar:
As Jay began to prepare for his solo mission, Jeff interjected. His logic seemed sound, so Jay nodded that he was happy for Jeff to take the detail instead, unless anyone disagreed.

Jan shook his head in disagreement with Jeff.  "No, the person who stays here is a trap for the cannibal.  The Capitaine's instructions about the Russians were just in case whoever stays here meets them so your skills are better used elsewhere as they are not supposed to meet them.  Jay is the best at staying hidden so he stays."

He then glanced back the way that they had come before continuing to talk to Jeff.  He had a fairly good idea why Jeff wanted to be the first to meet with the Russians and he needed to talk to Konrad about it away from the spook.  "As we withdraw though Jeff we will find you a place where you can set up and cover Jay as well as being in a position to meet the Russians where they arrive."

He didn't give Jeff a chance to discuss it further.  "OK, let us go.  Jay if you get concerned at all then withdraw to the boat."

Leaving his radio with Jay if he wanted to borrow it Jan then led Thijs, Danny and Jeff back towards the houses just to the south of the dock.  There he left Jeff, ideally set up in the roof cavity of one of them where he had sufficient elevation to be able to support Jay.

Jan then led Thijs and Danny back to the boat.



Konrad Bayer:
When Jan and his team arrives back at the Queen, he splits them up into the two work parties that are already on the go, "Robert and Jan... repairs with Quyen and Lieutenant Sutherland. Thijs, Larue, and Warren-or-Jay... sandbag detail with Mariusz." He then jots down a simple 20 minute rotating sentry for all to partake in.

As he arrived back on the boat Jan reported to Konrad.  "I have left Jay at the house as a trap as ordered but I have also left Jeff in a house at the southern end of the dock where he is able to cover Jay.  He was keen to stay out and greet the Russians when they arrive and he can also do that from there.  Do we want him talking to the Russians though?  He will try to recruit them for his masters but do we care?  If it is a problem I will go and get him and bring him back here.  What do you think?"
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 498 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Fri 4 Jan 2013
at 23:56
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Jay nodded and took the radio, securing it on his webbing. As the others moved out he quietly found a suitable spot to hide. He located a building opposite the cannibal's house and snuck in, doing his best to disguise his presence there.

When he entered the building he carefully placed a number of sticks and other items on the floor. Hopefully they would alert him if anyone tried to sneak up on him. He checked the building thoroughly, looking for a suitable spot on an upper floor or in the roof where he could watch the cannibal's house without being seen.

Once he was secure he settled in to maintain his vigil, waiting for the monster to return...
Craig Sutherland
 player, 609 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 5 Jan 2013
at 00:28
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Minh Quyen:
Konrad Bayer:
"Repairs." Bayer answers. "I know the engineers taught you more than just how to blow things up." he adds with a friendly nod.


Quyen smiles slightly and answers "Yes sir. I do prefer one over the other but I am good at both." She then makes her way outside where she finds Craig and takes stock of what tools they had available. Then after she zipps up the oversized tankers jacket and cups her hands to light up a smoke, Minh will get to work dealing with the aft damage.



Craig was glad of the additional help.

I have marked the boxes with the most damage and was just about to start on the repairable ones. If we could get some weather boards off the houses we could use that and hand tools to fix the rest. Also if we could get at the framing in the buildings we could make a double think chest high rampart around the edge of the deck with a gap between the two layers. That should stop most small arms and fragments. How long have we got here, anyone know ?"
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 88 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Sat 5 Jan 2013
at 01:14
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Upon returning on board, Thijs began to prepare to assist with repairs.  Feeling left out of the loop due his lack of a radio, he asked around, "What is going on?  What are our plans?"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1475 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 5 Jan 2013
at 15:40
Re: And the Wind Began to Howl
Konrad Bayer:
Minh Quyen:
Quyen then follows Konrad and Mariusz up to the bridge where she asks "Where can I be of best help? Sentry or repairs?"

"Repairs." Bayer answers. "I know the engineers taught you more than just how to blow things up." he adds with a friendly nod.

When Jan and his team arrives back at the Queen, he splits them up into the two work parties that are already on the go, "Robert and Jan... repairs with Quyen and Lieutenant Sutherland. Thijs, Larue, and Warren-or-Jay... sandbag detail with Mariusz." He then jots down a simple 20 minute rotating sentry for all to partake in.

"You got it boss," Tucker says as he gets ready for the detail to form up and reports to Sutherland and Minh.

Robert says to Minh with a smile, "You tell me what you need here Minh.  I'm not as 'tool savy' as some people."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2768 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 5 Jan 2013
at 17:01
Riders of the Storm

Several members of the team remain close ashore, within sight and hailing distance of the tug, filling sandbags. This process also creates pits in the cold Polish earth suitable for two shallow graves, should the party decide to bury Anneka and Gunther here in scenic Dobiegniewo. The rest of the crew goes to work repairing the mostly superficial damage sustained by the Wisla Krolowa in the battle of Plock, filing down sharp edges in railings and gunwhales, and painting over the scourings and pock marks from blast damage and bullet strikes. The only paint in the ship's paint locker is black and red left over from the tug's last paint job (this occured after the Kommando parted ways with the tug near Zwollen, and prior to the subsequent unexpected reunion at Gora-Kalwaria). Unfortunately, there's no white paint left, so the mostly white superstructure takes on a black and red speckled appearance- from a distance, the Krolowa now looks a bit like some kind of exotic duck. It has to be done, though, Tadeuz explains, to prevent rust, a mortal enemy of any ship afloat.

Meanwhile, Jay and Jeff remain in the hamlet, lying in wait for the suspected cannibal. Jeff sets up in a builing near the road with a direct line of sight to the cannibal's cottage. Unfortunately, the entrance to the cottage is on the side opposite to Warren, limiting his ability to provide overwatch for the vulnerable Jay. Furthermore, several dozen trees lie between Jeff's position and the cottage, limiting his lines of fire. Still, from this house, Jeff can cover both the cottage to the west and the access road leading from the highway to the docks.

When the rest of the sweep team returns to the docks, Jay begins looking for a suitable hide from which to ambush the cannibal should be return. There's a shed behind the cottage, but it doesn't face the entrance. The cannibal could return home and Jay might never see him. He considers climbing a tree but the branches are mostly bare, severely limiting the concealment value such an elevated venue would offer. The only option left is the cottage itself. Jay makes his way inside, shuts the front door behind him, and sets up in the shadows behind the still-warm potbellied stove. All he can do now is wait.

After about an hour, the anticipated precipitation starts. The temperature has dropped several degrees from the morning high of 37F and the steady breeze has become a stiff, penetrating wind. The freezing rain comes in at about a forty-five degree angle, stinging exposed skin and quickly soaking through non-water proof clothing. It is not good weather to be outdoors in.

The rain hitting the roof and west wall of the cottage make it hard for Jay to hear anything moving outside. The stove has gone cold and the diminutive Ghurka begins to shiver. Without warning, the front door swings open violently, but there's no one there. The strong wind has apparently blown it open. Freezing rain enters the foyer of the cottage. Jay's just about to relax when a man-shaped shadow fills the backlit doorway. Jay is ready to act but he's stiff with cold and his fingers are numb so his control is off. At point blank range, Jay squeezes off a five-round burst and the dark figure spins around, hit once each in the arm and the leg. The man falls hard to the wet floor, snarling in pain and rage. Despite his wounds, the man reaches for his weapon, a long bolt-action rifle lying on the floor beside him. At the same time, Jay is up and moving out from behind the stove. The man has hold of the rifle now, and he's trying to manouver himself and the rather unwieldy weapon so that he can bring it to bear on the intruder. He's not quick enough. From only a few feet away, Jay puts another five-round burst into the struggling man, ending his life. In the cold dim light shining into the cottage through the open door, Jay gets a good look at the individual the party has been preoccupied with since discovering the disturbing stash of trophies and man meat. The hirsuit man is dressed in grubby civilian winter clothes. He looks to be in his thirties or forties and his teeth are stained brown. With his knit red watch cap and full beard, he looks to Jay like a younger, grubbier, altogether more evil version of Old Adam Rataj, the Kommando's former patron. Jay secures the man's rifle, an old Moisin-Nagant, and leaves the corpse lying in state. Outside the doorway, jay finds a woodsman's axe propped up against the wall. The man must have set it there before reentering the cottage. (Jay -10 rounds; 1 wz. 91/98/26 [Polish Moisin-Nagant clone converted to the 7.92mmx57 Mauser] recovered)

Jay walks through the freezing rain back to the tug.

Three hours after the riders left, they return, six men on five horses. Yvgenny is back and, as promised, he's brought a signaller, a short, boyish looking man who he introduces as Andrei. In addition to Andrei, Yvgenny has brought along the two POWs he mentioned, a Finnish naval officer by the name of Anders Mattson and a USMC engineer officer named Ryan Carlisle. Yvgenny, Andrei, Anders, and Ryan climb on board the Krolowa and out of the freezing rain. All four men are soaked through. The other two Soviet cavalrymen remain in the hamlet, setting up camp in the Polish government youth center (where they also stable their horses). They are not going to risk the return journey under the current weather conditions.

In about three hours, the party has filled a few dozen sandbags* (and dug two shallow graves), salvaged some wood from a couple of the hamlet's abandoned buildings, made minor repairs to the tug's battle damage (unfortunately, the paint hadn't had a chance to dry before the rain began, giving the tug an even more bizzare streaky appearance), kill a suspected cannibal (no formal investigation or trial was ever conducted, the Kommando acting as judge, jury, and executioner), and, to top it all off, the tug's complement has grown by four (for the time being, at least).

It's about 1300 hours and the storm has just begun. Wlcolawek is about 15 kilometers downriver. After about an hour, the freezing rain has given way to snow.

*The sandbags and wood can be used to either enlarge or strengthen the quarterdeck (aft) defense position- it can either accomodate four people now, or it can stop up to and including 7.62mm rounds at long ranges. Unfortunately, however, the overhead tarp that used to cover the quarterdeck was destroyed, so all work on the position has to take place under the elements.

Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.077508,0.264187


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:11, Sat 05 Jan 2013.

Anders Mattson
 player, 19 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 5 Jan 2013
at 18:20
Re: Riders of the Storm
The Finn, recognizable as a soldier only by the blue garrison cap with a red cockerel on front, sporting a golden lion like the one on the Finnish Coat of Arms and the navy blue work coat with a rank insignia (one broad, one narrow and one broad faded straight gold stripe) on only one shoulder (apparently the other one had been ripped off somewhere, somehow), was clad in a mix of civilian clothing. He sported a rather thick, heavy beard, clearly having lacked shaving equipment for some time and a thick, dark brown hair.

"Gentlemen", he said in a bit accented English, "I am captain-lieutanant Mattsson, formerly of FNS Karjala. The Soviets 'obtained' my services by catching me after I had floated to Poland after my ship sunk, and I had had some adventures of my own." The man truly looked the part. "I have been promised my freedom, if I help them across the river. Not such an easy task, with the amount of horses they have."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 515 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Sat 5 Jan 2013
at 19:26
Re: Riders of the Storm
Jeff hears the gunshots and surmises that Jay was in contact.  He arrived after the engagement had ended, exchanged a nod with Jay and the two walk back in the rain/snow to the tug.

Once inside, he makes himself comfortable in the galley.  He's ready to provide translation service from Russian to English if needed.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1134 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 5 Jan 2013
at 20:04
Re: Riders of the Storm
Mariusz retreated to the kitchen as soon as his shift was over and he was soon humming merrily to produce a supper worthy of all the hard work that had been put in over the last few days. It was also a meal to welcome new people and to celebrate the memories of the lost.

He began by working on the good durum wheat that he had been hoarding and he worked it in several ways before forming it into pasta parcels containing a little bacon and mushroom. He cooked the parcels in a rich tomato sauce and set the dish aside to work on the main meal, Bigos, the Polish Hunter's stew with dumplings and a mashed potato side.

As the stew bubbled merrily away, he worked on the final element of the meal, an apple pie to remind the Americans of Thanksgiving.

He worked happily inside the steaming kitchen, pushing the horrors of war away by resorting to his family's cure for all things: pile the calories on.
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 516 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Sun 6 Jan 2013
at 01:07
Re: Riders of the Storm
Jeff had broken his SAKO TRG apart to clean it, being careful to not interfere with the zero of the optics.  He worked quietly generally ignoring Mariusz in the galley until the smell got to him.

He stood up, leaving the bolt in a cloth on the table.  Never much of a cook, he's astounded by the bounty that Mariusz was whipping up.  "Son, is that..." his eyes grew wide  "Is that an Applie Pie?  I don't know if I've even seen one in the last 10 years."

Then in a low voice he says "Listen, if a newcomer walks in, I'm not American."  His Russian attire would hopefully convey the message that he wanted to be treated as such in the face of strangers.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:48, Sun 06 Jan 2013.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 610 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 6 Jan 2013
at 01:30
Re: Riders of the Storm


Craig worked on the quarter deck until the weather drove him inside. He was keen to put the double layer frame wood balustrade into effect but did not raise it as an issue if the others felt otherwise.

If they have additional days he hoped to collect enough 4x2 framing wood to protect the entire deck as well as repair the original boxes used for protection. If they had additional days he would collect gravel to put between the new wood layer for additional protection.

He at least wanted to bring the protection back to what it was with maybe some additional. If the roof on the house was tile or something similar he would use weatherboard's to replace the shredded tarp.
Ryan W. Carlisle, III
 player, 1 post
 1st Lieutenant
 USMC Combat Engineer
Sun 6 Jan 2013
at 02:05
Re: Riders of the Storm
Carlisle boards the river tug with Yvgenny, the RTO and the Finn. Lanky, unshaven and dressed in a filthy mix of civilian, Soviet and American-issue gear, he doesn't waste much time surveying the condition of the vessel before moving inside.

"Carlisle. Ryan." The Marine introduces himself to anyone present. "First Lieutenant, United States Marine Corps. Combat Engineer."

He huddles, shivering under a wool blanket.

"The Russians picked me up last spring, north of here. They made me the same deal as the Finn: We get them across the river and I can walk. Until recently, that effort was focused on the bridge at the Wloclaweck dam, but every time we get halfway close that godforsaken monitor floats down from Torun and blows it up again. Fuckin' bridge over the River Kwai. I'll be whatever help I can. Just let me dry off a little and get some chow in me."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1803 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 6 Jan 2013
at 08:10
Re: Riders of the Storm
When Jay and Warren returned, Bayer didn't ask or say anything about the man suspected of cannibalism. He heard the shots earlier, and simply nodded once to Jay, leaving it at that.

Bayer then welcomed the visitors on board, but not before giving Griet a look first. It was her boat after all and he had no interest in overstepping his bounds. "Squeeze yourself into the galley." he says to the four men, and motioning for his Kommandos to do the same. Bayer then instructs Kellerman to stand watch - promising the American he would make sure some of the pie that they could smell would be saved for him.

When everyone was finally crammed into the galley, Bayer sat at the head of the table. It wasn't so much of a command thing, but rather he wanted to be able to see everyone for the meeting he had called for. Looking at the four new faces, Bayer waits until it goes quiet then says, "I am Hauptmann Bayer, of the ermm... Kommandos. We are a free company, most recently in the service of Warsaw." He then nods to Griet and introduces her, "Captain of the boat, CPO Niewiadomska." And finally to Jan and Robert, he simply says, "My acting NCOs."

Bayer then explains the situation to Kommandos, once more to those who are already aware and for the first time for those like Thijs who were still in the dark. "Downriver is the town of Torun... currently occupied by a sizable Soviet force of roughly eleven hundred men... and apparently still considering themselves at war, and thus going to be problem for us. Most pressing is the fact that they have some type of armored river gunboat." He then lays out the map Adam gave him and pointed out the city for those who are close enough to see it. "As you can see from our guests though, we are not alone. Close by is the 89th Cavalry Division... yet another Soviet force, but one that is most interested in getting across the river and going home. I've agreed to their proposal for mutual cooperation. We need to get past Torun... and they need to get three hundred men and horses across the river."

Bayer then motions to Yvgenny and continues, "The 89th are constructing some sort of rafts, near Wloclawek, this side of Wloclawek actually. The tug can power them across, but only once the gunboat is no longer in use since the town is under observation by enemy patrols. In addition to their battalion strength in mounted troops, the 89th also have a ZU-23-2 and one 120mm mortar available for us... in addition to some more 82mm ammunition for our Vasilek.

Bayer then folds his hands on the table and asks, "Options? Keep it brief."

This message was last edited by the player at 08:10, Sun 06 Jan 2013.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 517 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Sun 6 Jan 2013
at 08:52
Re: Riders of the Storm
In Russian accented English, Warren offers "I am Stárshiy Leytenánt Filipov.  I am assisting Mr. Bayer, and will be able to provide translation services as needed."  He repeats this in fluent St. Petersburgian Russian for the guests.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 502 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sun 6 Jan 2013
at 13:25
Re: Riders of the Storm
Jay stood over the body of the cannibal, a grim smile on his face. He took no pleasure in the killing, but was glad that the monstrous beast would no longer be a threat to poor travellers on this road. After quickly checking that the cannibal was alone he searched the body, looking for ammunition and valuables. He left the man's clothes but took his boots. He had learned in his time in Poland that decent boots were a valuable commodity.

He took the time to do a further search of the cottage, again looking for valuables, decent clothes or foodstuffs (of the non-human meat kind). He would take anything of interest, as it could always be ditched back at the boat. Finally he gathered up the rifle and woodaxe, and then headed back to the Queen, meeting Jeff en route.

Back on the boat he reported to Jan. He simply stated, "it is done", before returning the radio. He then went to the stores to deposit his loot and reload his magazine.

Once finished he will assist with any tasks that need doing, including foraging/scrounging parties, and will also make sure that the boat crew know about the axe, and that there may be a ready cut supply of logs at the cannibal's cottage if required.

OOC - Will add woodaxe, rifle and ammo to stores, plus boots (if they were in reasonable condition) and anything else I find. Will take 10x 5.45mm rounds from stores to reload my magazine.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:29, Sun 06 Jan 2013.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 89 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Sun 6 Jan 2013
at 17:47
Re: Riders of the Storm
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer then folds his hands on the table and asks, "Options? Keep it brief."

Thijs spoke up, "I have some more information to add, Kapitein.  You should be aware that the dam at Wloclawek has been destroyed.  It is my estimation, however, that the Wisla Krolowa would be capable of passing through the channel without using the lock.  Which is just as well, since the lock is also heavily damaged.  It is my thought that if this boat can pass the dam, so can the gunboat from Torun."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1500 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 6 Jan 2013
at 18:18
Re: Riders of the Storm
Jan had simply nodded in reply to Jay when he and Jeff had returned.  "We'll done and I am glad that you are not hurt further."



At the meeting as Jeff was posing as a Russian Jan had considered posing as a Czech mercenary, as he really should have done when he'd first met the Queen and her crew rather than admitting his FFL connection, but had decided against it as it served no real purpose, unlike Jeff's masquerade which could reveal some valuable intel.

When Konrad called for options Jan instead asked some more questions.

"Capitaine, do we know how many rafts there are?  Would it be best to bring two or three up river to here and then do many journeys across the river taking a few horses and men each time?

"Also do we have anyone now who knows how to fire a mortar or AA gun?  We will need lesson from the Russian crew as part of the deal."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 719 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 6 Jan 2013
at 19:23
Re: Riders of the Storm
"About how wide is the breech?" Griet asked the Dutchman, "the charts and my memory suggests it can't be more than about five hundred meters unless they uses something massive to blow away the spit as well. If it is that narrow, we can still use the chokepoint to our favour. We seriously messed up another war boat using a 120mm mortar, this time we might not be able to sink it but we could even the odds out more by bombarding it before we engage it."
Anders Mattson
 player, 20 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sun 6 Jan 2013
at 19:56
Re: Riders of the Storm
"I was a Weapon Systems Officer aboard the Karjala - that means, I was in charge of the weapons teams as well as the maintenance of the said weapons. I have some recollection of how to fire a mortar and I can most certainly handle a 'Sergei' - she had two of them for AA work. As for the Vasilek, I'll just need to take a look at it first and familiarize myself with it."
Daniel Larue
 player, 260 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 6 Jan 2013
at 21:22
Re: Riders of the Storm
When Jay passes the sandbag detail on his way back to the tug, Danny briefly stops him with a hand on his shoulder, gives him a searching look, and says, "thanks."  With that, he sends Jay on his way with an admonition to warm up and dry out.  Before heading back to the tug, he roughs out the beginnings of two more graves.




Once back aboard, Danny leaves Winona in his cabin with most of his gear, but straps on his gunbelt and double-checks his sidearm before heading into the conference.  When he sees Ryan's condition, he excuses himself, pulls a spare parka from stores, and brings it back, handing it to the Marine with a quiet, "El-tee."

He then tucks himself into a corner, craning his neck to see the map.  When Bayer asks for input, he waits out the initial flurry, then clears his throat.  "Tech Sergeant Larue, U.S. Air Force," he introduces himself to the newcomers.  "Guys, what do you know about the Torun force's morale and mindset?  If they lose their gunboat, will they back off or will they keep trying to fight the war?"

This message was last edited by the player at 21:30, Sun 06 Jan 2013.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 9 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sun 6 Jan 2013
at 22:00
Re: Riders of the Storm
At the approach of Yevgenny's party, Connolly straightens up with a sigh, cracks her back, and wipes off the worst of the paint spatters.  After a quiet word with McClurg, she puts on her professional face and makes her way through the crowd (such as it is) to the new nominally-friendly arrivals.  "Lieutenant," she says, offering her hand to Ryan and Anders in turn, "Captain-Lieutenant, welcome aboard.  I'm Dominique Connolly, Captain Bayer's ops officer.  If you have any immediate needs, let me know and I'll see what we can provide."  She gives Carlisle a brief, ironic smile and adds, "Mister Ryan, I'd say 'welcome back to the warm,' but..." she gestures to the weather.




As the Kommando and Yevgenny's small party filter into the galley, she pulls Mariusz aside and gives him a much warmer smile.  "Mari, I don't know how the hell you do it, but you're a genius."  She tilts her head at the meal.  "You know what this is going to do for our diplomacy, right?  Good job."




In the conference, Connolly remains quiet but continues to eye the charts speculatively.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:50, Sat 12 Jan 2013.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1477 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 7 Jan 2013
at 00:00
Re: Riders of the Storm
Robert dresses down for the meeting wearing only civilian clothes, his Colt Pythin in its leather holster, and his Russian long coat going for comfort and warmth since he wasn't on duty for the meeting.  He sits (or stands) and listens to Konrad's briefing about the 89th and nods to the new people when he is introduced by Bayer.  When asked about brief options, he chimes up.  "Maybe I'm missing something Boss but, can't we just move these rafts further down river from the damn and patrol craft and cart 'em over away from there?  Or, do they got that many eyes to see what the fuck we're doing?  Plus, they got a thousand plus troops and a metal gun boat?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1804 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 7 Jan 2013
at 02:52
Re: Riders of the Storm
Thijs van Lincklaen:
Thijs spoke up, "I have some more information to add, Kapitein.  You should be aware that the dam at Wloclawek has been destroyed.  It is my estimation, however, that the Wisla Krolowa would be capable of passing through the channel without using the lock. It is my thought that if this boat can pass the dam, so can the gunboat from Torun."

Bayer nods and says, "Noted, danke."

Jan Cerny:
"Capitaine, do we know how many rafts there are?

"Also do we have anyone now who knows how to fire a mortar or AA gun?  We will need lesson from the Russian crew as part of the deal."

Bayer motions for the Russian liaison to answer this question. Jan's next question was answered by the Finn.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
When asked about brief options, he chimes up.  "Maybe I'm missing something Boss but, can't we just move these rafts further down river from the damn and patrol craft and cart 'em over away from there?  Or, do they got that many eyes to see what the fuck we're doing?  Plus, they got a thousand plus troops and a metal gun boat?"

"That helps solve our allies' problem but not ours... we, the Queen I mean, still need to bypass Torun. The gunboat needs to be eliminated for us to accomplish that." he answers.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:53, Mon 07 Jan 2013.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2770 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Mon 7 Jan 2013
at 03:23
Re: Riders of the Storm

Yvgenny holds his hands about a foot apart and then separates them another foot and replies, "About ten meters by about twenty meters- big enough to hold maybe ten horses and their riders at a time. Much bigger and we can't move it to the water."
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 10 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Mon 7 Jan 2013
at 03:28
Re: Riders of the Storm
Connolly gives Bayer a slight shake of her head and waits for him to acknowledge her. "Sir," she says, stressing the honorific so there's no confusion about Konrad's command status despite her own rank, "the gunboat's only half the problem. We still have to bypass a thousand men, and I assume they have heavy weapon emplacements beyond what's on their boat." She glances to the Russians for confirmation, then continues. "We can't go around - the river is a fixed route. We need to move them out of position or convince them not to oppose our passage." She flicks her gaze toward Warren and concludes, "right now, it looks more like a strategy and intel problem than it is a tactical issue."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:28, Mon 07 Jan 2013.

Anders Mattson
 player, 22 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Mon 7 Jan 2013
at 06:32
Re: Riders of the Storm
The Finn nodded in greeting and stroked his beard for a moment. "My professional, what's the word now, ah, estimate would be, the enemy vessel is an old landing craft, about 19 meters long, five meters wide and draft of one meter. They have made some changes to it, added armor and so on, and have made it slow by that. 23mm HEI rounds did not have much effect on it and the small arms like RPG did not seem to have any either. I have an idea how to take it out, but it might call for equiment I don't have."

Anders stroked his beard again. "If you have or can get me a set of diving gear, I would say the best option would be attacking it below the waterline. The armor can not extend too far there, wouldn't be practical. A heavy enough charge underwater, detonated remotely from the shore would probably break the hull or topple it, because the armor and the turret has probably made it top heavy. The other way is to pound it from above with 120mm rounds. It is probably slow to respond to the helm, so it can't dodge too much."

"As for needs, if you have anything that resembles coffee, I would sell myself for it. Most of my stuff was lost with Karjala, and what I managed to gather taken when I was captured, but I think I might get at least some of it back after the river crossing is complete."

After a short pause, the Finn speaks, once again. "Also, if you need a gunsmith or a mechanic, I suppose I am your man. I also have a civilian rating for naval engines and some skill in the electrical side as well."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:55, Mon 07 Jan 2013.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1478 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 7 Jan 2013
at 14:57
Re: Riders of the Storm
Tucker nods to Bayer's, and everyone else's input and then, continues.  "I get the point that we need to still pass Torun.  Even if we can take out the patrol boat, we still eleven-hundred troops looking to blow us out of the water.  Maybe we need to talk to them directly to see where we stand?"
Jan Cerny
 player, 1503 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 7 Jan 2013
at 22:50
Re: Riders of the Storm
"The troops in Torun sound like they have some communist fanatics leading them," commented Jan.  "They are staying in their position and trying to continue with the war even though they are kilometres away from it.  With eleven hundred men even if we set up a diversion somewhere the force they would send in response would still leave them significant numbers of men to guard the river."

He looked at the Russian liaison Yvgenny.  "Do you know if they guard the river much?  Or do they think that their boat gives them plenty protection there?  All I can think of at present is sneaking into the town to blow up the boat and then trying to sneak the Queen through at night so that it is difficult for them to attack us.  I am sure that Griet will tell me how stupid an idea that is."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2771 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 8 Jan 2013
at 00:14
Re: Riders of the Storm
Jan Cerny:
He looked at the Russian liaison Yvgenny.  "Do you know if they guard the river much?  Or do they think that their boat gives them plenty protection there?  All I can think of at present is sneaking into the town to blow up the boat and then trying to sneak the Queen through at night so that it is difficult for them to attack us.  I am sure that Griet will tell me how stupid an idea that is."


Once Jan's question had been translated into Polish or Russian (Yvgenny speaks both), the liaison responds,

"None of us have been up there, so I don't rightly know what the riverside defenses are like, if there even are any. But there is a standing bridge there, apparently, and Red Army doctrine places quite a bit of importance on guarding bridges, especially with what your NATO raider companies have done. They've got to keep the bridge open for supply convoys and local merchants and the like. Since they've got the monitor, though, I suspect that their riverside defenses, aside from the stuff around the bridge that is, are rather thin."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1480 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 8 Jan 2013
at 02:09
Re: Riders of the Storm
Cap'n Rae:
Jan Cerny:
He looked at the Russian liaison Yvgenny.  "Do you know if they guard the river much?  Or do they think that their boat gives them plenty protection there?  All I can think of at present is sneaking into the town to blow up the boat and then trying to sneak the Queen through at night so that it is difficult for them to attack us.  I am sure that Griet will tell me how stupid an idea that is."


Once Jan's question had been translated into Polish or Russian (Yvgenny speaks both), the liaison responds,

"None of us have been up there, so I don't rightly know what the riverside defenses are like, if there even are any. But there is a standing bridge there, apparently, and Red Army doctrine places quite a bit of importance on guarding bridges, especially with what your NATO raider companies have done. They've got to keep the bridge open for supply convoys and local merchants and the like. Since they've got the monitor, though, I suspect that their riverside defenses, aside from the stuff around the bridge that is, are rather thin."

"Maybe after we get the cavalry across, we'll have some trade goods to pose as local merchants?"
Ryan W. Carlisle, III
 player, 4 posts
 1st Lieutenant
 USMC Combat Engineer
Tue 8 Jan 2013
at 03:14
Re: Riders of the Storm
Carlisle raises an eyebrow at he Finn's suggestion of some kind of a limpet mine.

"Well," the Marine acknowledges, "if it comes down to that, I suppose I'm SCUBA qualified. And pretty handy with high-order explosives. But I gotta say, I'd prefer a solution that doesn't involve me getting that close."

He stuffs his mouth full with a scoop of the chow generously provided by the young Pole and continues talking, apparently oblivious to the breach in etiquette.

"Or that wet."
Minh Quyen
 player, 676 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Tue 8 Jan 2013
at 06:51
Re: Riders of the Storm
Quyen finds a seat in the galley (or tries to) and sits down to eat and listen to the discussion. She splits her attention between Mariusz's food and the conversation but apart from whsipering her appreciation to their amazing cook, she keeps quiet.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1504 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 8 Jan 2013
at 09:40
Re: Riders of the Storm
"Posing as merchants sounds like an interesting idea to me," commented Jan in reply to Tuck.  "We could try sailing close and posing as merchants with something to trade and a desire to pass through.  For a start if we have two mortars we are not very likely to be going to be able to use both at the same time so we could sail close, attract their attention in some way and wait for them to approach.  When they do we say that we are merchants with a mortar and shells for trade.

"Alternatively we could do some recon initially.  Several of us could approach by land and say that we are guards from a merchant convoy who are interested in coming to trade but wish to find out what the local situation is.  Or if some people wish to get wet then we could send swimmers down the river to have a look at the defenses.  The water may be too cold for that though."  He looked at Danny as he mentioned the water temperature.
Anders Mattson
 player, 23 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Tue 8 Jan 2013
at 10:50
Re: Riders of the Storm
"For proper diving, we'd need dry suits. I used to dive recreationally before the war and the dry suit works even in the winter. If we want the underwater approach, I'm not saying we need to plant the explosives on the hull. Probably just being near enough the boat underwater would work for the explosion to damage it, so setting up an improvised naval mine or two in the river, detonated from the shore would probably do the trick. If it doesn't destroy it, the weight of the armor might make the boat to topple over with the added armor changing the balance of the hull."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1805 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 8 Jan 2013
at 11:19
Re: Riders of the Storm
"We tried a swimmer before and it was very difficult, and that was with a proper Navy SEAL of all people, and it was a couple of weeks before it has gotten this cold. I am not supportive of such an idea right now." Bayer answers.

"However any decent plan makes use of a recce, so that is what I believe is a future step." he adds. "Preparation and execution of such can be done concurrently to the 89th's work on their rafts."

This message was lightly edited by the player at 11:20, Tue 08 Jan 2013.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1506 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 8 Jan 2013
at 12:20
Re: Riders of the Storm
"Do you want part of that recee to be several of us posing as a merchant's guards?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1806 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 8 Jan 2013
at 12:36
Re: Riders of the Storm
Bayer thinks for a moment and says slowly, "I don't know Jan. This isn't like Warsaw or the other places. The Russians here are still at war. The old rules apply. Just about everyone here can be seen as either an enemy or deserter... regardless of what we may say is our new career."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 720 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 8 Jan 2013
at 18:17
Re: Riders of the Storm
Griet really liked the idea of heading up with the tug boat to recon the city. It meant they could carry on past and solve all their problems whilst leaving the Russians swinging in the wind but she kept her council on that until there weren't any representatives present.

"Some sort of recon is necessary," she said, "if you're worried about the Russians pulling people as deserters or enemy, Mariusz and I could pass as civilians. I even have my papers that discharged me from the navy."

She looked at Mariusz, "He's a pretty boy, I could pimp him out to lonely Russians."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2774 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 9 Jan 2013
at 01:14
Re: Riders of the Storm

Walter, who understands a fair bit of English (he refuses, however, to speak it), has been listening in, gleaning a basic understanding of the Kommandos' objectives and of the obstacles standing in their their way. In his native tongue, he offers,

"If Torun's garrison is like the other Soviet garrisons along the river, they won't hinder trade as long as they stand something to gain from it. In my experience, checkpoints usually skim a little off the top and let the merchants pass. If they seize a boat, they might gain more in the short term, but they're probably losing more in the long run. They want you to come back so they can skim a little more each time you pass through. We used to pay 'tolls' in liquor or food. We tried paying in gold once but the bastards held us for three days while they tore the ship apart looking for more- and they beat the shit out of Grzyech!

"I'd also remove the Vasilek, if I was going to pose as a merchant. Anything heavier than a Kalashnikov would probably be seen as suspicious or threatening. We got a licence for our Dishkas from the Krakow Rada. We still have it around here somewhere, don't we?"
he asks, looking to Griet for the answer.

"We never had a security team of NATO people on board either. The Russkies might be looking for stragglers or deserters or the like and they'll probably search the boat. I'd recommend only having Poles on board, if you plan on posing as merchants."

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:17, Thu 10 Jan 2013.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1807 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 9 Jan 2013
at 02:08
Re: Riders of the Storm
"I see. So we land the security element and bypass Torun on foot while the Queen moves upriver as merchants." Bayer says at Walter's information once it is translated. "In that case the only issue then is using the Queen to get the 89th across without being caught by the Torun garrison?"
Jan Cerny
 player, 1507 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 9 Jan 2013
at 08:15
Re: Riders of the Storm
Jan nodded in understanding about this being a region where the war was still being fought.  If he was to pose as a former Czech soldier then it was quite possible that he would be arrested and even shot as a deserter.  Better to leave clandestine missions like that to trained professionals like Jeff.

"Filipov, he said in English addressing Jeff.  "Do you have any papers or identification that could explain your presence in the area officially?"

When Konrad outlined one option of sending the Queen through as a merchantman with an all Polish crew while everyone else walked around Torun Jan raised an implication of that plan.

"Capitaine, that might be our only option but it means that we will have to leave the Vasilek here and not take any of the 89th's heavy weapons in payment for getting them across the river.  That does not mean that it is not a good option but we do not gain the heavy weapons that we wanted.

"Could we set the heavy weapons and the Queen up near the crossing point where the rafts are being built and lure the other boat into a trap?  If the boat always turns up then they must have an observation post."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1808 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 9 Jan 2013
at 11:13
Re: Riders of the Storm
"No, I said we will need to get them across without being implicated. Getting them across is how we gain the heavy weapons for payment."

"Setting a trap implicates the Queen, thus eliminating the option of passing through as merchants."

Anders Mattson
 player, 24 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Wed 9 Jan 2013
at 11:27
Re: Riders of the Storm
"If they have someone observing the crossing, we should take it out. That should help with the monitor as well. And if not, the 120mm mortar should." The Finn seemed currently more interested in obtaining his freedom from the Soviets than any contingency after that. First things first. "And I must say, we better keep the ship away from the monitor. The gun on it will reduce her in to a sinking mess with few well placed shots."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1508 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 9 Jan 2013
at 13:55
Re: Riders of the Storm
Konrad Bayer:
"No, I said we will need to get them across without being implicated. Getting them across is how we gain the heavy weapons for payment."

Confusion broke out on Jan's face.  "I understand that but have I misunderstood the next stage?  How do we get the heavy weapons past Torun without them going on the Queen if the Queen is being a merchantman and we are going overland?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1809 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 9 Jan 2013
at 15:11
Re: Riders of the Storm
"The heavy weapons have to go on the Queen to pass as merchant, as they are our toll, to pass though."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 15:12, Wed 09 Jan 2013.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1509 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 9 Jan 2013
at 16:12
Re: Riders of the Storm
Comprehension dawned on Jan's face.

"Ah.  I understand now.  All of the heavy weapons are for potential trade to get down river beyond Torun.  We might have to trade all of them to get by but at least the Queen will get by.  What cargo can the Queen be carrying as well as the weapons though?  Merchants need a cargo.  Maybe if they want to take all the heavy weapons then Griet can trade them for another cargo in Torun."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:13, Wed 09 Jan 2013.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1810 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 9 Jan 2013
at 16:34
Re: Riders of the Storm
Jan Cerny:
"All of the heavy weapons are for potential trade to get down river beyond Torun.  We might have to trade all of them to get by but at least the Queen will get by.  What cargo can the Queen be carrying as well as the weapons though?  Merchants need a cargo.  Maybe if they want to take all the heavy weapons then Griet can trade them for another cargo in Torun."


"Not all. We need to find a way to keep the vasilek." Bayer clarifies.

He then chuckles lightly at the second question and says, "I don't know Jan, I'm just going with this merchant idea since it was the only one put forth that could get the Queen past Torun."

"From what we've been told I think we can expect that the weapons will be a toll, not a trade."


Bayer then thinks for a moment and says, "How about our original contract. We are going upriver to collect civilians and bring them back to our employer. That explains the lack of trade goods... and it is realistic considering we are all here."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:37, Wed 09 Jan 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 721 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 9 Jan 2013
at 16:45
Re: Riders of the Storm
"Skimming a bit off the top isn't the way I'd describe taking both the Zoo-Two and a 120mm mortar." Griet said, "We may well pose as traders who are trying to sell the weapons to the Russians in Torun but I wouldn't suggest we offer that as our bribe. We can probably manage with the booze and food that we have and then cut them a good deal on the guns for a better set of trade goods."

"That still doesn't solve the problem of getting the 89th across however. How we do that without being discovered will be the key."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1811 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 9 Jan 2013
at 16:56
Re: Riders of the Storm
"Ok, I am corrected. Even better then... that solves the vasilek problem."

"We'll have to eliminate the OPs. Even if they have radios, the distance to Torun is quite far, giving us time if they send a response."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:56, Wed 09 Jan 2013.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 90 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Thu 10 Jan 2013
at 01:14
Re: Riders of the Storm
Griet Niewiadomska:
"About how wide is the breech?" Griet asked the Dutchman, "the charts and my memory suggests it can't be more than about five hundred meters unless they uses something massive to blow away the spit as well. If it is that narrow, we can still use the chokepoint to our favour. We seriously messed up another war boat using a 120mm mortar, this time we might not be able to sink it but we could even the odds out more by bombarding it before we engage it."

"The gap is nearly 200 meters wide," replied Thijs, "and, from what I could see, about 50 meters on each side of the channel was too shallow for most vessels.  That leaves about 100 meters of clear channel."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2775 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 10 Jan 2013
at 01:14
Re: Riders of the Storm
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer then thinks for a moment and says, "How about our original contract. We are going upriver to collect civilians and bring them back to our employer. That explains the lack of trade goods... and it is realistic considering we are all here."


Walter frowns and breaks in, "We had a load of bicycles and sewing machines, though. An empty tug with heavy weapons going to collect civilians? Krakow didn't know that's what Adam was up to. If I was the checkpoint officer, I'd laugh in your face and call you a liar."

McClurg, quiet up until now, speaks up, "If these Torun Ivans have eyes on Wloclawek, then why doesn't the 89th come to us here? There's this snowstorm goin' on and if they wait until dark, what're the chances that the Torun OPs see them and send their monitor up? I mean, the Torun Ivans aren't this far up river or they would have sent the monitor here to check us out already, right?"

On a roll, McClurg continues, "If the 89th makes it here without being seen, we ferry them across somewhere near here, and then us NATO folks take the Vasilek and the ZU or whatever by land and meet up with the Poles and the tug downriver of Torun on the east bank. I mean, they'll have add a few horses to the deal, but that sounds fair doesn't it?"

Having shot his wad, he waits, looking expectantly at Konrad, Jan, LaRue, and Yvgenny.

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:52, Thu 10 Jan 2013.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1812 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 10 Jan 2013
at 04:30
Re: Riders of the Storm
Cap'n Rae:
Walter frowns and breaks in, "We had a load of bicycles and sewing machines, though. An empty tug with heavy weapons going to collect civilians? Krakow didn't know that's what Adam was up to. If I was the checkpoint officer, I'd laugh in your face and call you a liar."


"I was thinking that there has to be more barges on the Vistula than the ones tied up in Krakow... Walter." Bayer says. "And any tug, no matter it's business, won't be in one set of hands long on this river if it isn't heavily armed."

Feeling stuck, Bayer looks at those who suggested the 'merchant ploy' for some help.

Bayer then looks to McClurg and then to the Russian, "Do the incomplete rafts not make this a problem?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2776 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 10 Jan 2013
at 04:38
Re: Riders of the Storm
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer then looks to McClurg and then to the Russian, "Do the incomplete rafts not make this a problem?"


When the question is translated for him, Yvgenny responds, "Well, yes. We would either have to disassemble them, bring them here, and reassemble them, or make use materials available here to make new ones, or just make many trips across the river on your tug. But, if you think it would be better to move the 89th here, I could suggest it to the commander. He is a reasonable man." After a brief pause, he adds the poignant footnote, "We just want to go home."

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:42, Thu 10 Jan 2013.

Ryan W. Carlisle, III
 player, 6 posts
 1st Lieutenant
 USMC Combat Engineer
Thu 10 Jan 2013
at 06:12
Re: Riders of the Storm
"If you're looking to get face-face with these guys," Carlisle offers "I have picked up a little Russian from my hosts over the last few months. Mostly enough to keep me from getting shot: 'You there. Dig a hole. Lift a rock. Build a bridge. Blow up a dam.' That kind of stuff."

He shrugs. "For what it's worth."

"Hey," he adds, perhaps finally catching a whiff of himself. "You guys all look pretty clean and healthy. If this tub is a steam conversion, you must have hot running water, right?"

This message was last edited by the player at 06:13, Thu 10 Jan 2013.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1510 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 10 Jan 2013
at 08:50
Re: Riders of the Storm
Jan pondered the various ideas being suggested as well as the issues people were outlining.  The basic problem for the 89th was that they were trying to build their rafts too close to Torun and they hadn't figured out that moving up river was a potential solution.

"OK, I have a plan to suggest Capitaine.  The 89th abandon their current rafts like they have decided to try something else, just in case the troops in Torun recee the site, and move to here.  Here we build a couple of new rafts and then ferry the 89th across while the heavy weapons are set up as a blocking force in case the other boat arrives.  Once most of the 89th are across we break down the heavy weapons and put them on the Queen as cargo before taking the last members of the 89th across.  That should get them across and us a cargo like merchants.

"We then split into two groups, those staying on the boat as merchants and those walking.  The walkers take a long route round Torun and meet the Queen on the far side.  The Queen sails close to Torun and then offers to trade some of the heavy weapons to the Russian commander in exchange for another cargo and permission to pass down river.  We don't end up as well armed as we had hoped to be but we progress."

He paused to take a long drag on his cigarette.  "Does that plan sound feasible?  What are the problems with it that we need to resolve?"  He looked around everyone, indicating that it was not just a question for Konrad but a question for all.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 611 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 10 Jan 2013
at 09:11
Re: Riders of the Storm

Craig lingered over his meal and followed the conversation back and forth. What had been suggested sounded plausible and his first thought was a recce of some sort.

"If I am not needed for the recce I would like to get the weather deck in top order if we are going to be here for a day or so. It mite mean taking down a couple of the structures to gain the required 4x2, but it should bring the entire deck back under the equivalent protection it had before the last engagement."

He sat back and slowly slipped a cup of something hot.
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 11 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Thu 10 Jan 2013
at 11:43
Re: Riders of the Storm
"Don't stop working on the current rafts," Connolly puts in. "If it looks like the 89th has a new plan, the guys in Torun will want to know what it is and they'll push out more patrols.  That increases our chances of detection.  Show them what they expect to see and filter people out a squad at a time."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1813 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 10 Jan 2013
at 11:52
Re: Riders of the Storm
Bayer looks at the Russian for a moment, a little unsure as to why he simply hadn't mentioned it was possible to move their crossing site, but then remembered the man didn't speak English. He then turns to Jan and says, "Yes, that will do. Quite feasable."

"Any problems?"
he echoes.

Bayer then motions for the tranlator to pass this along and adds, "Tell them to bring as much of the materials as possible, namely any rope or other crucial items."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1511 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 10 Jan 2013
at 12:05
Re: Riders of the Storm
Jan nodded in response to Konrad before adding a comment.

"Boots has a good point Capitaine and we should tell the 89th to do that."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1814 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 10 Jan 2013
at 12:29
Re: Riders of the Storm
"Hmmm... depends on how quickly it takes for them to assemble the rafts." Bayer says, looking to the Russians for some feedback.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 12:29, Thu 10 Jan 2013.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1481 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 10 Jan 2013
at 15:07
Re: Riders of the Storm
In reply to Jan Cerny (msg # 166):

"We need to find out how far the Ruskie's at Torun patrols go out from the 89th so our recce team can try to go around them and maybe who the locals are loyal to."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 722 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 10 Jan 2013
at 16:31
Re: Riders of the Storm
In reply to Anders Mattson (msg # 154):

"If we have to attack, both are good suggestions," Griet said to the Finn, "but assume we can do this without fighting. How long do your reckon it would take to build a raft on the aft of the Queen? Something that could take ten or so horses or fifty men?"

She looked at the others, "It might be possible to do that, expand our after deck and just make lots of trips. There are good landing points on both sides and the river is under three kilometers wide here. If we could do it we could make the trips in less than twenty four hours."

"What do people think, is it viable?"
Anders Mattson
 player, 26 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Thu 10 Jan 2013
at 16:41
Re: Riders of the Storm
"I don't really have that much experience on transporting horses across rivers or constructing rafts - I was in the blue-water navy, so river operations are pretty much new to me. I believe the lieutanant here can provide you with more information about the rafts. But I believe, if we have a raft or two, we can easily transport them across."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2777 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 11 Jan 2013
at 00:29
Re: Riders of the Storm

Once what has been said has been translated for Yvgenny, he responds, "The Torun patrols travel out at least as far as Wloclawek is from Torun- a 20km radius perhaps. That's how they found us. The weather was better then, though. And they said they had plenty of food up there, when they were trying to convince us to join them, so the locals must be somehwat cooperative. The division's control of the area is good, at least."

"As to the rafts, a couple are built already, and waiting in the woods. We'd have to take them apart and bring the pieces here with us or leave them hidden. It takes about two hours to build a raft that can take twenty men or four horses. We haven't tested them, though- we didn't want the scouts to see them and call the monitor up again. It looks like your decks could take a couple dozen men on a short trip across the river. The horses are the tricky part. It'll be dark in a few hours. If we're going to move here once the sun goes down, the rest of the 89th is going to have to start making preparations right now."


Walter then adds, "If our cargo is heavy weapons, they're going to ask how we got a hold of them. If we use our Krakow papers, they're going to wonder why Krakow didn't just keep them. It's too suspicious. We have to have business both up river and down river to be convincing. Maybe we could pose as merchants in search of a cargo, working on consignment. That would explain an empty hold. That's not quite as suspicious as carrying a hold full of heavy weapons and looking for a customer, I don't think."

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:51, Fri 11 Jan 2013.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1815 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 11 Jan 2013
at 00:40
Re: Riders of the Storm
"Do it." Bayer says after the translation. The plan was the best one proposed so far to him, and it didn't look like anything very different was coming down the pipe. "Leave some men with fast horses to keep your position occupied and active, but try to bring back as much of the materials that you won't be able to salvage here in the village."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1512 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 11 Jan 2013
at 08:31
Re: Riders of the Storm
Cap'n Rae:
Walter then adds, "If our cargo is heavy weapons, they're going to ask how we got a hold of them. If we use our Krakow papers, they're going to wonder why Krakow didn't just keep them. It's too suspicious. We have to have business both up river and down river to be convincing. Maybe we could pose as merchants in search of a cargo, working on consignment. That would explain an empty hold. That's not quite as suspicious as carrying a hold full of heavy weapons and looking for a customer, I don't think."

Jan's brow furrowed when Walter raised concern about a cargo of heavy weapons.  He was no merchant but he thought that the source of the weapons might be explainable.

"Could we not say that the Black Baron in Warsaw has fallen and we were able to trade for these in the chaos after his fall?  If we are trying to trade them to the Russians then our merchants will just look like opportunistic merchants who have seen an opportunity to make a profit.  Does that not work?  Less suspicious than merchants with no cargo?

"I will not be on the boat however so I am happy to go with what Griet decides.

"If we do not take the heavy weapons then what are we to do with them?  Someone suggested the walkers taking them but that is an impossible load for us to carry.  It might be possible if we have some horses but who of us knows how to ride?  Even more who of us knows how to make a team of horses pull a zoo?  I do not.  Do the Russians have any wagons to carry the shells?

"Transporting the heavy weapons and ammo might be too difficult and if that is the case then what else can the Russians trade for passage over the river?  We do not want the heavy weapons if we just have to abandon them here on the river bank.  In fact what else can the Russians trade?  Maybe they have other things that we could trade for to give us a cargo."


He wasn't thinking so much about the trade for passage over the river.  More a trade for some of the gold coins they had stashed aboard.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2778 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 16:43
Re: Riders of the Storm

With the basics of a plan on the table, Yvgenny and Andrei contact their headquarters. Jeff listens in. The commander of the 89th, general Timonev, agrees to the plan. The 89th will move southeast to Dobiegniewo, with the understanding that the crossings will begin immediately upon their arrival. The move will take place at night, in a snowstorm, so shelter is of immediate concern. Dobiegniewo simply does not have the facilities to shelter 300 men and nearly as many horses, but the village on the east bank looks like it might serve.

There are several hours until nightfall. During that time, the 89th will disassemble their rafts and prepare them for transport. Just after sunset, they will light bonfires in Wloclawek as part of a maskarovka. The 89th will then begin their ride to Dobiegniewo, where the Wisla Krolowa will be waiting to ferry them across the Vistula in relays. Once that process is complete, likely some time during the following morning, payment will be arranged and the tug will begin its transformation from free company river gunboat to merchant cargo transport.

In the meantime, the Kommando have been asked to reconnoiter the far bank of the river, to make sure that the larger settlement there (Gmina Dobryznnad Wisla on their maps) is safe and suitable to shelter the 89th during the night, or perhaps longer, until the blizzard snows itself out.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:48, Sat 12 Jan 2013.

Anders Mattson
 player, 27 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 17:10
Re: Riders of the Storm
The Finn approached Griet, apparently not having that much to do at the moment. "I understood, you are the commander of this vessel? Need a gunsmith or a ship's mechanic? I can do electrical stuff as well and weld among other things. Worked as a mechanic aboard a passenger ship before the war." His English wasn't the best, but it was somewhat understandable, even with the funny accent he had.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 723 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 17:16
Re: Riders of the Storm
"Good to have you on board," Griet said to the Finn, "I'm sure you'll have plenty to do on the journey. For now, I'd suggest you familiarise yourself with the Vasilesk. I'd be particularly interested in the possibility of being able to break it down into smaller parts."
Anders Mattson
 player, 28 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 17:34
Re: Riders of the Storm
The Finn smiled. "I am sure, I can manage that. Could use a hand with it, if I need to take it apart. You have a gunner for it?" Of course Anders had no knowledge of the organization aboard.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 724 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 18:04
Re: Riders of the Storm
"Our dedicated gunner left recently," Griet replied, "several of us can use it but not proficiently. For the moment I'd just like you to see if it is feasible to dismantle it. When it comes to doing it I'll give you all the help you need."

"Since you come from Finland, I'm assuming you are familiar with the dangers of winter boating." she said, "I would appreciate it if you oversea the rafting operations when they begin so that we can benefit from your expertise."

"Larue," she said when she could find the medic, "I need you to keep an eye on your weather gear. This part of the river is notorious for wicked westerlies causing serious problems, I don't want to dump too many Russians in the river. It'll cause bad feelings."

She then sought Bayer out and asked him for a word in private. Once they were alone she spoke with him.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:26, Sat 12 Jan 2013.

Anders Mattson
 player, 29 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 19:19
Re: Riders of the Storm
"The ships I served on as civilians did round trips between Finland and Sweden round the year, so I'm familiar with winter conditions, but my experience is from the Baltic, not rivers. But I'll do what I can. As for the weapon, do you have tools for it or do I have to improvise?" The Finn seemed happy enough to get something worthwile to do.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 725 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 19:21
Re: Riders of the Storm
"No specialist tools," Griet said, "but you can use anything we have on board the boat."
Anders Mattson
 player, 30 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 19:34
Re: Riders of the Storm
The Finn nodded and headed for the Vasilek. It was not something he had really gotten acquainted with before, but with his understanding of weaponsystems, it was probably not going to be much of a problem.

He did a careful examination of the weapon first, studying the mechanism, sights, everything he could think of. His favourite baby had been the 120mm Bofors on the bow of his beloved FNS Karjala, the biggest autocannon ever built - this Soviet mortar was a third smaller and of very different build, but he was determined and there was very few things made in Soviet Union that can stand a determined Finn.

[OOC: 21:33, Today: Anders Mattson rolled 18 using 1d20. Gunsmith: 11 (Disasembling the Vasilek).]
Craig Sutherland
 player, 612 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 20:12
Re: Riders of the Storm

One last option sprung to Craigs mind as he sipped his tea:

Could we not pontoon the rafts together to make a bridge ? If we are bringing them down here mite as well go the whole hog."

This message was last edited by the player at 10:32, Sun 13 Jan 2013.

Daniel Larue
 player, 266 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 22:41
Re: Riders of the Storm
Danny nods to Griet.  "Aye-aye, Chief.  Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll go update the forecast now."  He pauses before turning away.  "When we're playing ferry, it might not be a bad idea to hand off some of our flotation gear to each raft.  And assign a couple of lookouts on deck who are handy with throwing ropes."
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 12 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 23:10
Re: Riders of the Storm
Connolly catches Ryan as the meeting breaks up.  "Mister Carlisle, I think I heard you ask about hot water?"  She beckons for him to follow her and leads him toward the shower.  "Laundry's across the hall if you want to grab fresh BDUs."  She lowers her voice and leans in slightly, trying not to be obvious about not inhaling.  "When you're done, I'd like to pick your brain about the local situation - and our new Russian friends."
Ryan W. Carlisle, III
 player, 8 posts
 1st Lieutenant
 USMC Combat Engineer
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 00:10
Re: Riders of the Storm
"Much obliged, ma'am." Carlisle nods in response to the Major's offer of hygiene and wardrobe services and follows her out of the mess/galley and down the passageway.

As he passes LaRue, he volunteers, "I've got some pre-war experience as a wilderness EMT and time on the water if you need me to help ferry. I can also handle one of those Rooskie .50-cals."

Eight years in the Corps and six months as a P.O.W. have stripped Carlisle of any shred of modesty or shame he might have once carried and, upon reaching the shower, he isn't shy about getting naked and beginning to scrub off the last several months of caked-on dirt, grime and funk. The Major is not at all unattractive, but Carlisle avoids the cliché of inviting her to join him.

"If you've got any 20-Mule-Team Borax and some steel wool that would be great."

He considers he could probably use a good delousing, too.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:17, Sun 13 Jan 2013.

Daniel Larue
 player, 267 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 00:45
Re: Riders of the Storm
Danny grins at Carlisle.  "Kick ass, sir.  Good to have you aboard.  I've been a little worried about not having backup on the medical side.  I'll let the Chief know you can gun for us."

Hearing the lieutenant's comment as the Marine enters the shower, Danny calls around the corner, "hope you've got calluses, 'cause that soap's gonna take a few layers of skin off."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:46, Sun 13 Jan 2013.

Minh Quyen
 player, 677 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 06:26
Re: Riders of the Storm
Quyen readies her gear for the deteriorating weather. She puts on her wool sweater and then throws her Soviet tankers jacket on over top of that for the extra layer of warmth. She also changes her socks for a pair of clean dry ones. When that is all done she steps out of the tiny room she shared with Griet and onto the deck to smoke.

Eventually she returns to the galley to sit with the others before the patrol headed out. She wasn't sure if she was assigned yet to anything so she asks Konrad "Hauptmann. Where am I in this? The patrol?"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 726 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 09:39
Re: Riders of the Storm
In reply to Daniel Larue (msg # 187):

"That's a very good idea,Danny," Griet said, "I'll do that and we'll have the Princess in the water ready for rescue operations too. Could you brief the Doc on preparing for hypothermia casualties as necessary?"
Daniel Larue
 player, 271 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 19:25
Re: Riders of the Storm
Danny blinks at Griet, momentarily picturing a conversation with Anneka's body bag before he realizes she must mean the 89th's medical element.  "Uh... yeah.  I'll do that once they get here.  I'll need a translator if they don't speak English.  Maybe, uh, Filipov."

Sensing Griet's obvious desire for a private conversation with Bayer, he excuses himself and seeks out Anders.
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 13 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 19:52
Re: Riders of the Storm
After pulling all the intel she can from Ryan, Connolly returns to the bridge to monitor the radios.  She leans on the console, gazing pensively at the water and occasionally glancing at Anders' attempts to dismantle the Vasilek.  After a while, she frowns, glances around the tug, and pulls Kel into the bridge to take over radio watch.

Pulling up her parka's hood, she descends to the main deck and approaches Anders.  "Captain-Lieutenant... how much does that thing weigh?"  She indicates the automortar.  At his response, she nods her thanks, then resumes her peregrinations, periodically leaning out to glance over the tug's side.

Eventually, she finds Griet and Bayer and lingers just out of earshot until one of them gives her the nod to approach.  "Captains," she says by way of greeting, "I may have a very bad idea.  Griet, how much spare draft will you have under the keel between here and the north side of Torun?  And do you have anywhere at or below the waterline to attach cables?  I'm wondering if we can sling-load some of the heavy weapons to get them past the garrison..."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:52, Mon 14 Jan 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 730 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 20:26
Re: Riders of the Storm
"I was thinking the same thing," Griet replied, "which is why I've asked Captain Mattson to see if it can be dismantled. I'd like as much clearance as we can because there will be some tight fits, especially over the dam. If we can make smaller packages, I'm convinced it's feasible for at least the 82mm mortar."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1514 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 14 Jan 2013
at 00:00
Re: Riders of the Storm
Others seemed to be working on the problem of hiding and transporting some of the heavy weapons so Jan focussed on the current issue of a recee of the far bank.  He went to find Konrad to make his suggestion.

"Capitaine, do you want some of us to go and recee the other bank?  I suggest that Griet take us over in the Queen rather than us going in a launch and I suggest that we scout it quickly as the Russians will be here soon and the weather is going worse.  If I take Jay and Thijs and Tuck takes Quyen and Maruisz then we can search the village as quickly as possible.  What do you think?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1817 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 14 Jan 2013
at 03:28
Re: Riders of the Storm
Bayer listens to Griet's suggestions and nods in agreement, but says afterwards, "Don't dismantle the Vasilek yet. Keep it ready for action.

He then turns to Jan, "That's fine Jan, but just recce the far bank and village... don't try securing it."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 731 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 14 Jan 2013
at 16:13
Re: Riders of the Storm
"Absolutely," Griet agreed, "I asked Mattson to look into the possibility, not actually do it."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1515 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 14 Jan 2013
at 16:30
Re: Riders of the Storm
Konrad Bayer:
He then turns to Jan, "That's fine Jan, but just recce the far bank and village... don't try securing it."

"Oui mon Capitaine," replied Jan.  "If there is a problem then you have Craig, Jeff, Danny and yourself to deploy in support," he added as went off to gather Tuck, Quyen, Mariusz, Jay and Thijs together as a group and then explained what they needed to do.

"Tuck, after we land on the far bank, depending on where Griet set us down, I suggest you take Quyen and Mariusz and recee east of the landing point and I take Jay and Thijs and recee west.  If we encounter anything we are to report in and await further orders.  Ok?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2780 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 15 Jan 2013
at 00:39
Re: Riders of the Storm

As requested by General Timonev, Griet eases the Krolowa away from the pier and out into the Vistula, making for the settlement across the river with a reconaissance party on board. The tug cuts perpendicular to the current, pressing foward towards the opposite bank. The riverbank rises steeply, forming a tall bluff overlooking the river, definitely steeper and perhaps even taller than Tum hill back in Plock. A few run-down structures can be seen on its crest as the tug pushes off from the west bank; by the time the two thirds of the way across the river, the structures are no longer visible.

Snow falls thick, the flakes small and wet. It's already starting to stick, coating the ground in a semi-transparent white shroud. Visibility is already limited by the dim light, the steady snow fall only makes it worse.

The tug slowly noses up to the east bank. There's a narrow, level shelf of land, maybe 30m wide, at the base of the bluff, and a trail, about two meters wide, winds up from the riverbank towards the settlement no longer visible above. Those remaining on board the tug will not be able to perform overwatch for the scouting team. The recon teams debark using the ingenuous corvus and begin to ascend the track up the bluffs.

Those that complete the climb encounter the ruins of X. A cursory search reveals no sign of recent inhabitants. The village seems to have been abandoned some time ago. There are some signs of battle damage, but the dilapidated state of the settlement seems to owe more to neglect and the elements than it does to the effects of combat. Most of the dwellings here have been cleaned out, but a few still contain some rudiments of civilian life. If they judiciously disassemble some of the structures for firewood and cram the rest full to capacity, the 89th should be able to shelter here for at least a couple of days.

The bluffs themselves offer a commanding view of the Vistula. From here, the recon team can look down into Y. With a few heavy weapons, a platoon dug in atop the heights could just about shut down river traffic. It's a good thing that no one has thought to do so prior to your arrival.


Next Moves?
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1483 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 15 Jan 2013
at 01:13
Re: Riders of the Storm
Jan Cerny:
Konrad Bayer:
He then turns to Jan, "That's fine Jan, but just recce the far bank and village... don't try securing it."

"Oui mon Capitaine," replied Jan.  "If there is a problem then you have Craig, Jeff, Danny and yourself to deploy in support," he added as went off to gather Tuck, Quyen, Mariusz, Jay and Thijs together as a group and then explained what they needed to do.

"Tuck, after we land on the far bank, depending on where Griet set us down, I suggest you take Quyen and Mariusz and recee east of the landing point and I take Jay and Thijs and recee west.  If we encounter anything we are to report in and await further orders.  Ok?"

Tucker gathers with the rest of the landing party and listens to Jan.  "That sounds good to me Jan.  I suggest we travel light as we can.  Weapons, days water and food, ammo, cold weather gear.  Not too much more.  Sound good?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1818 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 15 Jan 2013
at 01:48
Re: Riders of the Storm
While the recce patrol is away, Bayer moves up to the wheelhouse to find Griet, shutting the door behind him but not before a gust of wind and snow blows in along with him. Then after wiping away the wetness of melted snow from his face, he says to her, "I want to talk again about what you mentioned before. Do have a gun team ready to man the Vasilek and the other primary weapons? I'll give you first choice on your crew, this will be your show after all, and I will take the remainder for security. Any other issues you want to discuss before they are here?"
Craig Sutherland
 player, 613 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 15 Jan 2013
at 07:26
Re: Riders of the Storm


Craig spent most of his spare time in the galley while the storm raged outside. There was little point continuing with the repairs in this weather. He was happy to help when call upon and would take his shift providing security for the tug.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 505 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Tue 15 Jan 2013
at 10:03
Re: Riders of the Storm
On patrol, Jay took point some distance ahead of his team leader and machine gunner. He walked carefully and quietly, scanning each derelict building as they went. The memory of the cannibal was still fresh in his mind, and he was wary of others who had followed a similar path.

He checked both the buildings and the paths for signs of recent activity - camp fires, tracks, debris and the like.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 732 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 15 Jan 2013
at 19:57
Re: Riders of the Storm
Griet thought about the crew she'd need, "McClurg will need to be on one Dushka with Kellerman loading for him. I'd like Thjis on the other Dushka as he has autogun experience. As for a mortar crew, Anders seems to have the best experience to be Number One Gunner and anyone we can spare can act as loader. I'd also like Connolly with me in the wheelhouse to run Comms and act as XO. Would that be too many?"
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 518 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Wed 16 Jan 2013
at 03:53
Re: Riders of the Storm
While heading for the snipers nest, Jeff intercepts Konrad before he meets with Griet.  "Mr. Bayer, if you'd like, I can contact friends in high places about the situation ahead."

Once the conversation concludes, he'll bundle up and head topside to support the shore party from his nest until they are out of sight, before heading back below.
Anders Mattson
 player, 31 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Wed 16 Jan 2013
at 07:40
Re: Riders of the Storm
It took Anders some time and use of tools, especially a hammer, to get in to an agreement with the Vasilek, but he did take it apart and put it back together all the same. Fingers greasy, he reappeared victorious on to the bridge with a grin. "The weapon can be dismantled and put back together, though if we do, I'll need a bigger crew for it. If I can suggest, it could use a gun shield. Some steel plate, cutter for it and welding gear and it would feel far less exposed. I could even weld it for you, captain." The words were directed to Griet. To Anders, an NCO in command of a boat was nothing new, though this particular vessel was approaching the ship-category at full speed. He was new to these people and showing courtesy didn't really hurt.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1516 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 16 Jan 2013
at 08:13
Re: Riders of the Storm
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Tucker gathers with the rest of the landing party and listens to Jan.  "That sounds good to me Jan.  I suggest we travel light as we can.  Weapons, days water and food, ammo, cold weather gear.  Not too much more.  Sound good?"

"Yes, I agree.  We are not to clear the village if we encounter anything," replied Jan.



After finishing the initial stage of their recee Jan reported in to his CO over the radio.

"Konrad.  Jan here," he transmitted.  "Village appears deserted.  Sufficient space for passengers to wait out the storm.  There is a high point that would make a good location for an OP or heavy weapon emplacement or both.  It has a good view down river.  Do you want us to set up an OP or come back?"
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 91 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Wed 16 Jan 2013
at 10:03
Re: Riders of the Storm
During the pause after the initial look-see, Thijs continued to scan the area, trying to make out anything unusual through the falling snow.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2781 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 18 Jan 2013
at 00:15
The Crossing

With the determination that the east bank is clear and ready to receive the men and horses of the Soviet 89th cavalry division, the reconaissance team descends the bluff overlooking the Vistula and reboards the tug which dutifully ferries them back across the river. An hour later, the first group of about two dozen mounted Soviet cavalrymen arrive. Bundled in a mix of Red Army issue and civilian cold weather clothing, they squeeze into the tiny hamlet and immediately begin assessing the few standing structures, informally cataloguing materials that can be used in the completion of the raft. Although they don't look like much, the cavalrymen handle themselves professionally. They are clearly well organized and led, as well as determined to leave the war behind.

A second group arrives, long logs slung between some of the horses. Taking advantage of the day's remaining light, they immediately begin reconstruction of the raft. The third and fourth groups also bring materials and join in the building. Over the next two hours, most of the balance of the division arrives, along with its last remaining heavy weapons. A dozen men stay behind, tasked with building bonfires in Wloclawek for the benefit of the scouting teams from the still-loyal Soviet 92nd cavalry division parked across the river. The hamlet is now a crowed, bustling staging area, the peaceful quiet of a couple hours past replaced by organized chaos, a cacophany of voices, whinying horses, and pounding hammers. The 89th's ZU-23-2 is parked near the piers, both to cover the iminent ferrying operation, and to faciliate tranfser to the tug as payment for its help in crossing the river. As night falls on the hamlet of, so does the snow. There's at least three inches on the ground, with more sure to come.

Fires are lit for warmth and light and raft construction continues under the glare of lanterns and torches. At just after 2400hrs, the raft is completed. It's dragged to the riverbank near the twin piers and pushed into the sheltered water between the two man-made breakwaters. It floats well, with about a foot of freeboard. In cooperation with the tug crew, the erstwhile Soviet engineers fasten the raft to the Wisla Krolowa. Eight horses are led on to the raft, accompanied by four human attendants. The rest of the their riders and about two dozen others board the tug, crowding around the Vasilek forward and filling the broad fantail aft.


Next Moves?


OOC: This is last call for skill checks. Also, I need to know if the tug is pulling or pushing the raft, and whether it is fastened forward or aft (of the tug).
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 14 posts
Fri 18 Jan 2013
at 00:32
Re: The Crossing

This message was deleted by the player at 00:33, Fri 18 Jan 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 733 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 18 Jan 2013
at 10:30
Re: The Crossing
Griet found the senior officer for the unit and spoke quickly, "The raft will be lashed to the front of the boat. We work best as a pusher rather than a puller. Do you have scouts upriver to warn us of anything coming toward us? If you don't, I do not want any personnel in the front part of the boat. Our only defence is the mortar and if we can't use it then we'd better have a good forewarning of danger."

She looked at the man and continued, "If you have any medical personnel I have a sickbay on board set up for cold weather treatment. Send them to me and I'll install them there if you want. That small craft there is available for rescue work. I don't have crew to man it but if you have a couple of engineers or anyone with small boat skills they are welcome to use it."

"Follow me and I'll talk to the people on the raft," she walked to the prow of the boat where the raft was lashed and double checked the cables and ropes. She had collected as many flotation devices as she could and handed them out to the occupants of the raft.

"You know how best to keep your beasts calm so do it." she said to them, "the raft is on the upriver side of the boat so if you fall off the current should take you into the hull. If someone falls yell 'man overboard' and I'll stop the boat. If you can, move for the hull. If you can't, remain still, trust the flotation device and wait for the rescue boat."

"Any questions?"

OCC
Raft is lashed to the prow of the boat at roughly 2 O'clock to four o'clock if you imagine the very prow to be twelve. We will cross the river with the raft upstream.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1820 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 18 Jan 2013
at 23:42
Re: The Crossing
As the Russian troops are arriving, Bayer hastily assembles the security team on the deck for a quick brief. "Thijs... starboard gun." he says first, motioning up to the DSHK where his duty station would be. "Jay... you've handled the Vasilek before correct? I need an experienced No.2 up there with Mattson." he says, picking the Gurkha out of the line next.

Bayer then turns to Carlisle and says, "Engineer ja? Experience with this sort of thing. I want you to help oversee the crossing... I don't know how but however you can be most effective at keeping the Russians from ending up in the river. LaRue will be with you." He then asks both men, "What do you think about the launch being used as a safety boat to pickup anyone who falls in?"

"Jan, Lieutenant Sutherland... port security and crowd control."

"Filipov, Mariusz... starboard security and crowd control."

Finally Bayer looks to Quyen and Tucker, and places them either at the front of the boat, or in the launch as a safety team to haul out any Russian who falls in - depending on which is more feasible considering the current weather conditions.

Before sending them off, Bayer says, "Turn your radios on. If something happens it will happen quickly. Be ready."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:44, Fri 18 Jan 2013.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 92 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Sat 19 Jan 2013
at 00:22
Re: The Crossing
"I will man the machinegun if you wish, Kapitein," Thijs replied to Bayer, then continued, "but I am capable of handling the small boat if you require someone to do that.  I am not questioning your orders, but simply pointing out other options."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1821 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 19 Jan 2013
at 00:28
Re: The Crossing
"No, I understand." Bayer answers. "Sergeant Tucker and Quyen can both handle a boat, as I am sure you can. Griet needs a skilled gunner though. I will keep note of it for the future."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:29, Sat 19 Jan 2013.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 506 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sat 19 Jan 2013
at 08:17
Re: The Crossing
Konrad Bayer:
"Jay... you've handled the Vasilek before correct? I need an experienced No.2 up there with Mattson." he says, picking the Gurkha out of the line next.

Jay nodded his acceptance of the order. He wasn't that experienced but had received training and could follow orders from the more able gunner.
Anders Mattson
 player, 32 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 19 Jan 2013
at 10:29
Re: The Crossing
Hearing, he would be serving with the Gurkha, Anders approached the corporal. "Well, looks like we're a team", he said, extending his hand at the man. "I'm Anders. Let's go ready the weapon, so we're prepared if something happens." The Finn seemed reasonably laid back and pleasant. "You've fired this thing before?"
Jan Cerny
 player, 1517 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 19 Jan 2013
at 13:27
Re: The Crossing
Jan nodded at Konrad's orders.  "Craig.  With me."

As he started to move off he turned back to Konrad.  "Do we have an OP down river to warn us if the Russian boat is coming this way?"
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 507 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sat 19 Jan 2013
at 14:14
Re: The Crossing
In reply to Anders Mattson (msg # 217):

Jay took the offered hand and shook it. "Welcome Mister Anders-ji, please to be calling me Jay." As they moved towards the Vasilek he tried to remember all that Dawid had taught him during their training sessions. When quizzed by Anders he look up at the Finn. "Trainings, yes. Firings, no. But you tell me, I listen, I do as you say." He looked at the weapon with a glint in his eye. It was clear that what he lacked in experience on this weapon would be tempered by enthusiasm.
Anders Mattson
 player, 33 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 19 Jan 2013
at 14:37
Re: The Crossing
"Well, you have had more training with this weapon than I - I have heard this thing exist but that's practically all. I know how to fire heavy guns. My old ship had a 120mm cannon." Anders headed for the Vasilek. "Let's load few clips so we have them ready. If we need to fire, you load, I aim and fire. When I need you to reload, I will call 'load' and when you have loaded, you will call 'up', okay? That way I will not try to fire your arm at the enemy." The Finn grinned and picked up the black, metallic clip. "Three clips should do for now", he said perhaps a bit tentatively. He wasn't exactly sure of the firing rate of the mortar - the 120mm Bofors had fired 80 rounds a minute, making it the biggest autocannon in existance. The mechanism on the Vasilek was about the same.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1823 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 19 Jan 2013
at 15:40
Re: The Crossing
Jan Cerny:
As he started to move off he turned back to Konrad.  "Do we have an OP down river to warn us if the Russian boat is coming this way?"


"Yes. The Russians are covering it... but I don't know the details yet." Bayer replies. He then moves up to the wheelhouse to co-ord with Griet and the Russian commander. He'll first follow up Jan's question by asking how the Russians back at the camp will alert the crossing of any enemy movements. After that he will ask that the very first group across immediately position themselves on the high feature for additional security and observation. If possible they should have heavy weapons (not the ones being traded with us but other machineguns and the like).
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 735 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 19 Jan 2013
at 17:24
Re: The Crossing
As Griet estimated times for the first journey, she frowned, she spoke to the Russian liaison on the bridge and said, "Tell your people they need to assemble more rafts than this. At this rate we'll take a week of non-stop steaming to ferry everyone across."
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 93 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Sat 19 Jan 2013
at 17:53
Re: The Crossing
Konrad Bayer:
"No, I understand." Bayer answers. "Sergeant Tucker and Quyen can both handle a boat, as I am sure you can. Griet needs a skilled gunner though. I will keep note of it for the future."

"Yes, sir," Thijs replied, then went to the starboard DShK to check and familiarise himself with the weapon and its field of fire.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1135 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 19 Jan 2013
at 18:07
Re: The Crossing
Mariusz moved to the starboard side of the boat and got into a position where he could cover the rear movement between the fore and aft of the boat. He settled down and tried not to get too cold.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1518 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 19 Jan 2013
at 18:21
Re: The Crossing
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 221):

Jan nodded in agreement and moved to his assigned position as part of the security detail.

As the Russians started coming aboard he enquired if any of them spoke Polish, Czech or Slovak (or English) and if they did he asked them a question in an appropriate language.  "If you have anything you are considering trading, particularly something heavy that will be a burden on your journey then speak up as we might be interested in another trade."

He paid particular attention to any AT weapons or rockets and any radios that the Russians were carrying.
Minh Quyen
 player, 679 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 19 Jan 2013
at 20:59
Re: The Crossing
Quyen returns quickly to her bunk and ditches her AK74. She then makes her way to the armory and grabs the PKM and two cans of ammunition for it before going back topside to meet up with Tuck. "Took the gun." Quyen tells him as she loads one of the belts into the weapon. "Front security right?"

Taking:
PKM x1
7.62mm Belts x2

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2782 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 20 Jan 2013
at 03:08
Re: The Crossing

The tug, now pushing the first of the jury-rigged rafts, begins the crossing, large snowflakes swarming through its floodlights. Looking back towards the hamlet on the shore, you can see a dozen bonfires burning and hear the bite of axes as more trees are felled for additional rafts. Griet's done a few calculations, determining that, given the speed of the Krolowa, the width of the river, and the carrying capacity of the tug and the single raft, it will take at least a couple of days of nearly constant operations to get the whole of the 89th CD across the river. To speed up the operation, the tug crew donates a substantial supply of cordage to the work parties responsible for constructing the first raft. Given a few more hours, they should be able to complete a couple more rafts, more that doubling the number of men and horses that can be transported in a single trip.

About half-way across the Vistula, disaster strikes. Something spooks one of the horses. It rears suddenly, pulling its reigns from the hands of one of the two men detailed to the raft. Fully loaded, the raft is already riding about six inches lower in the water than it was empty, and it sinks even lower as it's pushed obliquely through the swift current at a cuatious and steady 8kph. The shifting weight of the panicked horse worsens the situation, and its back hooves slip off the downriver side of the raft, toppling the rest of the terrified mare overboard with a heavy splash. The raft overbalances and another horse, startled and jostled by the first, follows in its hoofsteps. The men on board the raft do their best to keep the other horses steady, several times barely avoiding being pushed or pulled overboard themselves.

The River Princess, acting as a rescue boat and crewed by a team of three cavalrymen, reaches one of the horses and attempts to guide it to shore. The other horse screams as it's pulled downriver by the current. The rescue crew does its best to help the second horse, but the water is too cold and the current is too strong. Exhausted, the horse founders, straining the Princess' outboard motor and nearly capsizing it. Regretfully, they release the beast, and it is pulled away, disappearing into the darkness.

There's nothing that the Krolowa can do to help without risking the rest of its cargo. It continues on the far shore, arriving without further incident. The perils of transporting horses across the wide river on rafts have been painfully revealed. One of the two minders now has a broken foot, having been stomped on while trying to control the surviving horses. The raft is unloaded on the east bank, and the two score cavalrymen begin ascending the white slopes of the bluff up to set up an OP/overwatch position. The orange glow of firelight is visible across the water and through the steadily falling snow.

The Krolowa returns to the west bank, where the construction crews are still working on the first of two new rafts.


Next Moves?
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 508 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sun 20 Jan 2013
at 08:45
Re: The Crossing
Jay nodded to Anders and practiced the drill as best he could. Pretty soon they had a fair idea of what they were doing, and we're ready to act if needed.

When the Queen moved off on it's first run, Jay couldn't help but watch in fascination as the operation was executed. The fascination soon turned to horror as the horses panicked and went in. His own experience in the river told him that they wouldn't last long, and a rescue would be futile. He watched helplessly as they were dragged down river to their fate.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:54, Mon 21 Jan 2013.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 614 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 21 Jan 2013
at 08:16
Re: The Crossing


From his position on the port side of the tug Craig watched the proceedings with a sort of muted awe. He felt like he was seeing a scene more from his great grandfathers time in the army during world war one.

He couldn't help but snatch a glance up river every now and again looking for the monitor.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:55, Mon 21 Jan 2013.

Daniel Larue
 player, 272 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Mon 21 Jan 2013
at 14:29
Re: The Crossing
Danny, unable to affect events on the raft from his position at the rail, watches the loss of the horses with a clenched jaw.  Through whichever translator is most convenient, he orders the Russians to help the injured cavalryman aboard the Queen, then passes the man's rifle back to the raft before helping him into the galley, pouring him a shot of vodka, and beginning treatment.

Once he's finished doing what he can for a smashed foot, he flips on the intercom.  "Coyote for Sunray," he says, then waits for Bayer to acknowledge from the bridge (or wherever else the commander's gotten to).

"Sir, the guard boat has at least a chance of recovering personnel, and," he rolls his eyes, "I can do another swim if I absolutely have to.  We just proved we can't recover horses.  What do you think about shifting the horses to deck load and putting the men on the rafts?  Also, please advise the Russian commander that I've got his guy here and he's gonna be fine if they keep him on light duty for about six weeks."
Anders Mattson
 player, 34 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Mon 21 Jan 2013
at 15:48
Re: The Crossing
Anders worked with Jay to get the mortar clips loaded in quantity. The deck was a little less covered than he would have liked, but if he was going to join these people, his first job would be to improve that. Surely, he could obtain some steel plating and perhaps construct some kind of a well for the ammunition so that the mortar rounds could be stored below deck, where the likelyhood of being hit by a stray round or two would be far smaller.

"Let's set the rounds so that they are protected from enemy fire as much as possible without it getting in your way, when you load. And let's not load the weapon until we really need it. I don't know for sure if this thing can be properly unloaded without firing."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:09, Mon 21 Jan 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 736 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 21 Jan 2013
at 16:41
Re: The Crossing
Griet frowned as the Queen steamed into the harbour again. She turned to the Russian liaison officer and said, "Get a hold of your engineers and your load master. Tell them we need more rafts. I can handle two or three more. Also, using the raft for the horses is suicide. Move them on to the fantail, we can fit eight on there and put troops on the raft, they'll be better balanced and easier to pick up if they do go in."

She looked at the man and continued, "If your engineers can figure out how to use the material they have to extend the fantail and put a rail around that extension I'd be willing for them to modify the boat. Also tell your commander that I want the 82mm rounds loaded now, we may need them to defend you. There's a good position for the Zoo-2 on the other side, I want that ready for the next trip."
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 15 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Wed 23 Jan 2013
at 01:30
Re: The Crossing
Squeezed into what's become her customary corner of the bridge, Connolly glares upriver, willing the monitor not to appear.  She suppresses a flinch at the mention of the ZSU.  Checking her watch and the temperature, she keys the intercom and says, "All stations, sound off," listening carefully to the responses for the slurred speech that might indicate incipient hypothermia - or the silence that might indicate a Russian backstab.

Mentally checking off personnel, she turns to Griet.  "If we're loading more personnel on the raft, let's sling a cargo net over the railing next to it.  It'll be an extra safety measure if the raft starts to break up.And if the monitor shows up, we can get a couple dozen extra meat-shields aboard before the raft gets shredded, she adds mentally.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:44, Wed 23 Jan 2013.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1488 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 23 Jan 2013
at 01:38
Re: The Crossing
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly:
Squeezed into what's become her customary corner of the bridge, Connolly glares upriver, willing the monitor not to appear.  She suppresses a flinch at the mention of the ZSU.  Checking her watch and the temperature, she keys the intercom and says, "All stations, sound off," listening carefully to the responses for the slurred speech that might indicate incipient hypothermia.

Tucker turns towards the bridge and gives a thumbs up and keying the radio.  "Tucker.  Good to go!"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1824 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 23 Jan 2013
at 01:44
Re: The Crossing
Bayer acknowledges Larue's transmission about the loading switch and passes it on to Griet. He then steps out of the wheelhouse, finding it cramped, and unable to see what's going on down below as well. Moving between the security team posted outside, he informs them that the Russians and horses will be swapping places for all crossings now on.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1489 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 23 Jan 2013
at 02:01
Re: The Crossing
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer acknowledges Larue's transmission about the loading switch and passes it on to Griet. He then steps out of the wheelhouse, finding it cramped, and unable to see what's going on down below as well. Moving between the security team posted outside, he informs them that the Russians and horses will be swapping places for all crossings now on.

"I gotta better chance of communicating with the horses than I do the Russians," Tucker says to Konrad and lighting up a cigar as he shifts the weight of the RPG over his shoulder.
Daniel Larue
 player, 276 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Wed 23 Jan 2013
at 02:07
Re: The Crossing
"I think the new lieutenant speaks a little bit of Commie," Danny volunteers in passing as he emerges from the galley.  "Hey, Tenth Mountain, how'd you learn to ride in the Adirondacks, anyway?"

This message was last edited by the player at 02:07, Wed 23 Jan 2013.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1524 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 23 Jan 2013
at 09:26
Re: The Crossing
Jan watched events unfold, rather frustrated at his inability to do anything to help the man and the horses in the river.  He didn't like sitting idly by but boats and rivers in general were not his areas of expertise.

When Boots transmitted her radio check Jan waited for a gap and then replied.  "Jan checking in," he answered.

He stayed in his position with Craig, covering the Port side, occasionally enquiring if any of the Russians had anything to trade.  That became much harder when the only Russians on the Queen were those handling the horses.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2786 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 24 Jan 2013
at 01:44
Re: The Crossing

For the next nighttime load, the tug crew makes some seating adjustments, placing the horses aboard the tug itself, and the bulk of their accompanying riders on the raft. Although the humans show more signs of nervousness on this trip than the horses do, all of the passengers, man and beast, make it across safely. In the meantime, the work parties in the west bank hamlet complete the second raft and  prepare the ZU-23-2 for the crossing.

When the Krolowa returns, the ZU is lifted aboard the first raft, along with its crew, while the second raft is secured to the port bow. After a small herd of horses (10 seem to be the most the tug can safely carry on her main deck, without interfering with the operation of the Vasilek) is brought aboard, a couple of squads of cavalrymen crowd on to the second raft, and the tug sets off. About mid-way across the Vistula, the second raft begins to come apart. The men on board remain calm and the rescue boat moves in to respond should the raft deposit any of its human cargo into the river. Fortunately, no one is lost and the crossing completed, but the second raft is useless, at least temporarily. The tug returns to the west bank while the one party of cavalrymen begins hauling the ZU-23-2 up the bluff and another begins reassembling the raft.

The crossings continue through the night and well into the next day. The snow stops shortly before daybreak. There's at least three inches on the ground and the sky seems to hint at delivering more before the day is through. About a quarter of the 89th's men has been deposited safely on the east bank, but less than an eight of their horses have made the crossing. The tug crew has been going non-stop for nearly 24 hours, and accidents are starting to happen- nothing serious, but the danger of a major mishap are becoming apparent to the exhausted crew. It's decided to suspend operations for a few hours so that everyone can get some rest. The ferrying operation will resume shortly after sunrise the next day.

Dawn breaks cold but the sky is no longer completely overcast. There are breaks in the clouds, allowing the sun to appear periodically. The tug begins its day's work, ferrying three loads of men and horses accross before lunch time. As midday approaches, the snow covering the bluffs on the east bank begins to glisten, as the sun's rays start to melt the topmost layer. It's a beautiful sight.

The Krolowa is just returning to the pier on the west bank when, on the bridge, the radio suddenly blares to life (it's been tuned to the 89th's frequency for the duration of the crossing). Yvgenny, a constant fixture inside the bridge since before the ferrying operations began, looks alarmed. He tranlates (into Polish),

"The observation post on the hill says the monitor is coming!"


Next Moves?
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 16 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Thu 24 Jan 2013
at 02:17
Re: The Crossing
"Fuck ass," Connolly mutters in her best Cartman voice.  She adjusts her sunglasses and peers at Dobiegnieow's small harbor.  "Griet, there's no way we can hide the Queen in here.  They'd have to be blind to miss the plume from the boilers.  Do you think we can drop a team here with the launch, then maneuver out into the channel and hold their attention long enough to get boarders alongside?"
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1490 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 24 Jan 2013
at 02:20
Re: The Crossing
Daniel Larue:
"I think the new lieutenant speaks a little bit of Commie," Danny volunteers in passing as he emerges from the galley.  "Hey, Tenth Mountain, how'd you learn to ride in the Adirondacks, anyway?"

Tucker smiles at Danny, "I grew up in New York.  I ain't no 'city slicker' or nothing like that."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:22, Thu 24 Jan 2013.

Ryan W. Carlisle, III
 player, 11 posts
 1st Lieutenant
 USMC Combat Engineer
Thu 24 Jan 2013
at 03:32
Re: The Crossing
Carlisle had observed the first set of crossings with equal parts wild-eyed horror and attention to duty. Even though he'd spent considerable time on his grandfather's bison ranch in his youth, horses continued to terrify and confuse him. So, when Larue suggested a change of station, he bit at the chance.

"Yeah, sounds great. I'll play crossing guard with Ivan," he had confirmed to the PJ and, Tucker, the mountain troop. "Just keep me the fuck away from the horses."

Despite losing one of the rafts, the remainder of the evening's activity maintained a taut, but barely manageable, level of chaos. He had stolen a good couple hours of sleep before resuming operations the next morning. He was well on his way to establishing a good rhythm and headspace when word came down the line of the approaching monitor.

"Well," he uttered to no one in particular, "this should suck a lot."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 521 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Thu 24 Jan 2013
at 06:31
Re: The Crossing
Jeff watches the horses with a weary eye.  As some sort of reward, one relieves itself all over his boots.  He swears in Russian "Chyort!" and mutters a string of obscenities at the beast.

Stepping away, he dips his boots in the water and considers yelling at LaRue who is wearing a shit eating grin.  Just as he does though, he is called to the radio room to confirm the translation of the warning of the monitor.

"What is our next course of action? We do not have much time."
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 94 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Thu 24 Jan 2013
at 11:56
Re: The Crossing
Watching from his station at the starboard Dushka, Thijs chuckled softly to himself as Warren received a load of horse apples on his boots.  He was glad he was on the upper deck and away from the horses.  Being the son of a fisherman, he would have been uncomfortable among the hairy beasts.

When tne message came that the monitor was en route, he returned to full alert, stepping up the scan for threats.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 739 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 24 Jan 2013
at 16:20
Re: The Crossing
Griet listened to Connolly and said, "It's not a bad idea but might not work here as the monitor might know of our existence and be wary. There's a small overgrown set of jetties a few kilometers upriver that might work. I'd suggest we steam back that way, drop of the boarding party and Princess there. Then we draw them past and try to hit them a few times with indirect fire. Once they're just past we'll turn and fight and fire WP on or near the monitor. Once they're engaged and hopefully confused by smoke we can release the launch. Anything less risks it getting shot up before they can close. We'd need a forward observer in the launch in case we can't see fall of shot."

Griet looked at the helicopter pilot and Kaptain Bayer, "How does that sound as a basic framework?"
Anders Mattson
 player, 38 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Thu 24 Jan 2013
at 16:56
Re: The Crossing
Anders watched the rafts and wondered if he would have been able to improve them. He was no carpenter, so he didn't really say anything about it. The U.S. Marines' engineer officer he had spent time as a POW with, Ryan, was up to the task and there was probably nothing Anders could have done.

He didn't mind the horses - there had been horses near his grandparents' house and he had spent one summer hanging around the stables because of a girl, he had had a crush on but never really learned to ride them properly. The big animals reminded him of that summer and with all that had been going on during the recent years, any happy thought was a welcome one. Kristina, that was the girls name. The Finn could not help but to smile.

"So", he said to Jay, just to initiate some kind of a discussion, "How did you guys come up with this ship?" Breaking the ice wasn't maybe his best suite, but at least he was putting some effort in to it.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:57, Thu 24 Jan 2013.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1491 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 26 Jan 2013
at 17:07
Re: The Crossing
Robert hears that the monitor has been spotted and gets the thought in his head, 'We're really fucked now!'
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2787 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 26 Jan 2013
at 17:24
The Crocodile and the Queen

The ominous and unexpected report of the approach of the Loyalist Soviet river monitor seems to cause a strange paralysis among the crew of the Wisla Krolowa. Looking through binnoculars, the shore-based OP's report is quickly verified- a large, green vessel, main gun turret clearly visible just a little forward of amidships, is motoring steadily towards the crossing zone. Accompanying the monitor, which the cavalrymen of the 89th have nicknamed the 'Crocodile', is a smaller vessel, also painted green. It looks like a modified water taxi of some sort, and appears to be armed with a couple machineguns. It's travelling significantly faster than the monitor, but winds its way ahead in lazy curls so as not to outpace its larger, slower companion. (Make successful observation rolls to see details.)

The hostile pair are a little over 4km west of the tug. If the reports are to believed, the monitor probably can't move much faster than 10kph. Considering the size of its current bow-wave, it's probably moving at or near its top speed. (Make successful small boat handling rolls to more accurately determine the hostile pair's current speed.)

Updated Tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.040322,0.132093


Next Moves?
Anders Mattson
 player, 39 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 26 Jan 2013
at 17:41
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Bridge ahoy! Shall I open fire or do I let them get closer", Anders yelled up to the bridge. He was not very keen on facing the monitor as a single round from the 76mm cannon could easily penetrate the gunshield and turn him in to a purple cloud of bloody mist. Luckily, the other vessel in front of the monitor was probably blocking the shot a bit. As for the first vessel, it didn't seem too well armored, so Anders estimated, a 82mm shell would pierce the hull easily enough.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 740 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 26 Jan 2013
at 17:53
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet scowled at the lack of feedback from the others. With little choice she turned the Queen toward the rescue boat, "Griet to engines, prepare for full steam. Griet to guns, hold fire for now, we'll wait till their closer."

She looked over at the Russian radioman and said, "Get your men in the boat to come back to us. If you can't radio them get out there and wave them in. They are dead meat on their own."

"Griet to crew," she said over the intercom, "stand by to pick up the princess."

Griet
Steering toward Princess at 10kph
Preparing for full steam

17:57, Today: Griet Niewiadomska rolled 13 using 1d20. obs.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:58, Sat 26 Jan 2013.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1136 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 26 Jan 2013
at 18:00
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Mariusz ran to the side of the Queen ready to lash the Princess to the side of the larger craft. He looked nervously toward the oncoming enemy craft.

17:57, Today: Mariusz Tokarski rolled 3 using 1d20. obs.
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 95 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Sat 26 Jan 2013
at 18:00
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Currently on the downstream side of the tug, Thijs could see the two enemy boats.  He watched for some moments, trying to determine what they were up to.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1492 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 26 Jan 2013
at 23:02
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Mariusz Tokarski:
Mariusz ran to the side of the Queen ready to lash the Princess to the side of the larger craft. He looked nervously toward the oncoming enemy craft.

17:57, Today: Mariusz Tokarski rolled 3 using 1d20. obs.

Tucker rushes over to where Mariusz is and helps to retrieve the Princess.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1826 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 27 Jan 2013
at 01:59
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Bayer notes the distance and the estimated speed of the enemy boats, and says, "I am guessing fifteen minutes before we are in range... unless they have something worse on board then I expect, then maybe ten. If we can get that launch aboard quickly enough you can still draw them into a better position, and I can get the RPG and some grenade launchers ashore to fire defilade from a covered position near the shore."
Craig Sutherland
 player, 615 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 27 Jan 2013
at 03:56
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen


Craig stayed where he was until ordered otherwise. He hunkered down next to the guard rail and readied the HK-69 loaded with a HE grenade. He would fire on the converted water taxi as if he managed to hit it may be able to do some damage.

22:43, Today: Craig Sutherland rolled 3 using 1d20. Observation check.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:45, Sun 27 Jan 2013.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 510 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sun 27 Jan 2013
at 08:56
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jay was about to reply to Anders' small talk when the call came up about the monitor. He quickly adjusted his helmet strap while looking upriver, appraising the two vessels. He then looked to Anders for more instructions.

08:55, Today: Mrityunjay Byanjankar rolled 10 using 1d20. Observation check.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 741 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 27 Jan 2013
at 10:36
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Roger that Kaptain," Griet replied, "once we have the launch with us we should tell the Russians what we are doing. If they don't like it, at least we have all our gear ready to fight on our own."

"When I come back to engage the enemy, I'll keep close to the bank you are on to give the RPGs a better shot."
Anders Mattson
 player, 40 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sun 27 Jan 2013
at 10:49
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders turned the Vasilek at the incoming vessels and peered at them through the optics on his station. "Load HE", he said loundly - the obvious first target would be the waterbus as it might, for the moment, slow down the monitor. He started tracking it through the sights, as unfamiliar they were. He had worked with Soviet optics before and knew the main principle.

12:43, Sun 27 Jan: Anders Mattson rolled 8 using 1d20. Observation.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:16, Mon 28 Jan 2013.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 522 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Mon 28 Jan 2013
at 21:24
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jeff moves to the radio room, prepared to translate to Russian Bayers orders over the PA and the radio.  On the way, he'll lend a hand securing the launch.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1526 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 28 Jan 2013
at 22:37
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Gathering that the Russian boat was approaching Jan called out to Griet and Konrad.  "Griet.  Capitaine.  Do you wish me to set up an RPG team?"

He already had the M72 LAW slung over his shoulder but would need some time to organise the RPG-7.  He wasn't sure of the best position to fire from on the boat however.  He kept glancing in the direction of the approaching boat.  It seemed like they has a few minutes before they were in range, though he was no expert in the speed of boats.


OOC - 22:35, Today: Jan Cerny rolled 9 using 1d20. Observation check, asset total 9.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1493 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 29 Jan 2013
at 00:12
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jan Cerny:
Gathering that the Russian boat was approaching Jan called out to Griet and Konrad.  "Griet.  Capitaine.  Do you wish me to set up an RPG team?"

He already had the M72 LAW slung over his shoulder but would need some time to organise the RPG-7.  He wasn't sure of the best position to fire from on the boat however.  He kept glancing in the direction of the approaching boat.  It seemed like they has a few minutes before they were in range, though he was no expert in the speed of boats.


OOC - 22:35, Today: Jan Cerny rolled 9 using 1d20. Observation check, asset total 9.

Frank yells over to Jan while bringing in the Princess, "I got an RPG on me already Jan.  No spare rockets though!"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2788 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 29 Jan 2013
at 01:04
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

The Queen and the Princess meet about 20m from the western shore. After the three-man Russian crew climbs aboard the tug, Mariusz, Tucker, and Tadeuz quickly secure the motor launch (OOC: Do they bring the Princess on deck or fasten her to the side?). This process takes about five minutes from start to finish.

In the meantime, the water taxi pulls ahead of the monitor and heads for the Krolowa. With several pairs of eyes studying the approaching, presumably hostile vessels, additional details of their armaments and speeds emerge.

The water taxi appears to be armed with [at least] two PK machineguns and an AGS-17 grenade launcher. A long whip antenna suggests long-range communications capabilities. Considering its recent acceleration, a reasonable estimate of her top speed would be about 45kmph. The monitor is probably making about 20kmph at the moment, and it's not likely that she can move much faster. Aside from the PT-76 turrent mounted on its closed-over cargo/troop well, it appears that the 'Crocodile' has a BTR turret (presumably armed with a KPV 14.5mm heavy machinegun) mounted atop its conning tower, along with at least two other machineguns, their barrels jutting out to port and starboard just behind it. Along its low-riding sides, sections of chain-link fencing have been mounted a foot or two away from the hull- stand-off armor against shaped-charge warheads. The whole thing has been painted a dark olive green with irregular brown streaks and splotches. Someone put a whole lot of time and resources into the construction of this monitor and they are apparently confident enough in its capabilities to send miles from its base in pursuit of the fugitive 89th CD. How the Torun garrison found out about the 89th's departure from Wloclawek, you may never know.

Men of the 89th are now on both banks of the river and the bluffs along the east bank overlooking the crossing zone offer excellent fighting positions. Their light machineguns and RPG launchers might by able to damage the water taxi but, apart from a very lucky shot, they're not likely to hurt the thick-skinned 'Crocodile'. The lines of fire of the 89th's ZU-23-2 are partially blocked by the tallest stretch of bluffs (it couldn't be moved west, cross-country along the icy heights), so the enemy vessels will have to be drawn upriver in order to give it a clear shot. The 89th's 120mm mortar could have devastating effects on both enemy vessels, if it could manage to hit a moving target. The young mortarmen of Plock, however, have proven that this can be accomplished. (OOC: The mortar can either be controlled, via radio, by the tug crew, or by its own spotters- you must who will give the corrections.) Another difficulty faced by the defense is the width of the Vistula here, about a kilometer-and-a-half. Depending on the line taken by the approaching enemy vessels, engagement ranges will vary.


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.040322,0.132093


Next Moves?

It's time for combat tags. Make sure that you specify where your PC is on board (or inside) the Krolowa in said tags.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:09, Tue 29 Jan 2013.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1827 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 29 Jan 2013
at 06:54
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Bayer studies the two craft then turns to Griet, changing the plan to deploy an anti-armor team ashore, "Unfortunately... RPG won't be effective." He then glances over to where the ZU-23-2 is position though and adds, "But that zoo-two will be against those AFV turrets. You'll need to draw it upriver so it will have a shot and give the mortar time to fire."

"If you take us in a zig zag pattern the DSHKs can deal with that escort."


Bayer then toggles his radio, "Filipov, link up with the mortar and prepare to relay a fire mission for me. I also need you to tell the zoo-two team to standby on my call."

Rae - do you want me to make up fire mission data or will you supply it?

Bayer then leans out of the bridge, "Machineguns, stand by. Scout boat... engage at 500 meters. Remainder hold fire."

Bayer
Wheelhouse
Observing/Communicating

This message was last edited by the player at 06:58, Tue 29 Jan 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 742 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 29 Jan 2013
at 16:29
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet watched the monitor's progress and said, "She's running five kilometers and hour faster than we can make at top speed. The Russians were lying about her being slow though those stand-off shields might make he unwieldy. There's no way we can out run her. If you want me to lead it upriver we're going to be a big target even if we zig-zag and it'll get even closer before before the Zoo-Two can come in to play. I'll do what I can but we should get any RPG gunners on the Zoo-Two's bank up on the bluffs where they can go for top shots."

Griet
Wheelhouse,
Heading North-North-East
15kph
Zig right 100ms
Zag left 100ms
Zag left 50ms
Zig right 100ms
Zag left 100ms
Zig right 100ms
Zig right 50ms
If you need more tell me

Craig Sutherland
 player, 617 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 29 Jan 2013
at 18:22
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

Craig ran towards the Port DShK, checking the large MG had a round in the chamber he orientated it towards the incoming threat of the water taxi. He fired short bursts towards the boat whenever he was able to get a shot, with the tug moving and jigging this was not going to be an easy task he thought to himself.

Port DShK

Firing on Water Taxi

This message was last edited by the player at 23:25, Tue 29 Jan 2013.

Anders Mattson
 player, 41 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Tue 29 Jan 2013
at 18:49
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders begun tracking the water taxi with the Vasilek, keeping its bow under aim. The range was purely an estimate and he was not quite certain of the ballistic properties of the 82mm rounds in direct fire mode. First few rounds would indeed be pretty much through trial and error. Time would tell, how many rounds he could get off before the monitor opened up and made his life far more dangerous.

Anders
Manning the Vasilek as the gunner
Aiming at the water taxi

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 97 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Tue 29 Jan 2013
at 21:44
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Thijs watched the enemy boats -- still at extreme range -- swing out of his line of fire as the Krolowa turned about and headed across the river.  If the zigzags brought the scout boat  back into his field of fire, he would send bursts in its direction.  [OOC:  the way I visualize the zigs, I don't think there is a shot, but I could be wrong.  BTW, his autorifle is stowed in the wheelhouse.  EDIT:  Oops, I erroneously thought the wheelhouse/bridge was on the same level as the upper deck where the Dushkas are.  Since there appears to be no direct access to the interior from his location, he has the weapon slung.]

Thijs
Starboard DShK
C7A1 LSW [90/90 +(6x30)] Slung, on SAFE
Firing on scout vessel if/when possible

This message was last edited by the player at 11:34, Wed 30 Jan 2013.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 18 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Wed 30 Jan 2013
at 03:21
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Connolly makes one final scan of the deck, fixing the crew's locations in her head, then turns to Griet.  "We'll be taking some hits.  I'll take Larue and Mariusz and handle damage control.  Mac and Tadeusz are our backup."  With that, she spins through the bridge door, grabbing her helmet on the way, and clatters down the stairs to the upper deck.

Passing McClurg and Kellerman, who are still standing at the port Dishka after Craig's takeover, she punches them on the shoulders.  "Kel, head downstairs and help Jozef.  Mac, find Tadeusz and prep the fire buckets, then get under cover in the machine shop."  She looks around and spots Ryan.  "Lieutenant!  Get on the aft gun and be ready to take over on a Dishka if a gunner goes down!  Larue, get your ass out here!"

Boots
M11 [13/13 + 2 magazines] - holstered, loaded but decocked

upper deck, organizing damage control

This message was last edited by the player at 03:39, Wed 30 Jan 2013.

Daniel Larue
 player, 282 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Wed 30 Jan 2013
at 03:34
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Danny emerges from the wardroom, blinking in the sunlight, and tosses Connolly's AK up to her.  "Here, Boss, you forgot this again."  He gives Mariusz a nod.  "Follow me, Boy Wonder, and watch out for the horseshit."

Danny
Winona [30/30 + 5 magazines] - slung, on SAFE
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

main deck, port side; prepping buckets and hose for damage control

This message was last edited by the player at 03:39, Wed 30 Jan 2013.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 513 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Wed 30 Jan 2013
at 10:17
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jay tracked the target and prepared to start reloading. Nothing like a full blown firefight to hone your training.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1138 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 30 Jan 2013
at 22:29
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Mariusz followed Larue.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2790 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 31 Jan 2013
at 02:07
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

As Griet turns hard to port for a run upriver past the ZU-23-2, Thijs decides to show the pursuing water taxi/police boat (as it gets closer, it looks more like the latter) the Krolowa's sting, squeezing off a five-round burst at a range of nearly 2000m. It's either incredibly skillful or incredibly lucky shooting- one of the neon green tracers appears to merge with the police boat's bridge, causing the vessel to swerve slightly and briefly reduced its speed. Almost simultaneously, the police boat sends its own hopeful volley of 30mm grenades towards the turning tug (the AGS -17 is mounted in a forward hatch located between the vessel's sharp prow and the low superstructure). Four geysers, each about two meters in height, walk their way towards the slow-moving tug before a fifth HE grenade explodes against the hull with a sharp, metallic BANG! The sound is startling, and there's a bright yellow flash and a puff of white smoke, but the explosion doesn't seem to bother the sturdy tug, and no one is injured by shrapnel. The enemy gunner's job is made much more difficult his crew's evasive manouvering in the wake of Thijs' hit on the brige. (-5 rounds 12.7mm)

Anders and Jay track the fast-moving police boat as long and as well as they can. The rapid swing to port, however soon renders their efforts wasted. The tug's superstructure now blocks the Vasilek from engaging either target downriver. Until the Krolowa exposes either broadside, or turns back to face the targets bow-on, the automortar is effectively out of the fight.

The tug completes the turn, facing roughly upriver, and Griet pushes her towards her maximum speed of about 15kph. She angles out towards the middle of the channel, exposing the Krolowa's port Dishka. With the gun cranked aft as far as its pintle mount will allow, Craig fires off another long range burst, once again with improbable success. A brief, tall kick of spray near the waterline of the police boat suggests a hit on its unarmored hull. The police boat cuts to starboard so that Krolowa's portside HMG position is masked by the bulk of her own hull (Craig loses LOS to the target). The police boat has slowed somewhat and its pilot is doing his best to keep right aft of the Krolowa's undefended stern. It's forward gunner looses off a second five-round burst of 30mm grenades. It's poor shooting, the impact geysers appearing nearly 40mm off of the tug's port side. The POP-POP-POP-POP-POP of the exploding grenades echoes off the bluffs after a second's delay. In fact, due to the unusual accoustics of the area, the whole battle, barely begun, sounds a lot more intense than it is (so far...). (-5 rounds 12.7mm)

The Crocodile, meanwhile, is gaining ground on the Krolowa, slowly but surely. The police boat is allowing the monitor to close up with it, but the smaller vessel is still several hundred meters out ahead of its larger compatriot. The police boat will soon be under the guns of the cavalrymen on the riverbanks who have, as of yet, held their fire. It's attempt to stay in the tug's blind spot directly aft is bringing it closer to the west bank and further from the bluffs. It's nearly a kilometer from the heights, reducing the effectiveness of any potential fire coming from the high ground. Via radio, the 89th's mortar team relays that they are ready to fire in support of the Krolowa- they await a fire mission from the tug. (OOC: I at least need to know which vessel the Kommando would like to target.)

The tug's crew, both above and below decks, are primed and ready for battle. The three cavalrymen from the rescue boat seem unsure what to do, so they crouch behind the main-deck rail on the port side, preparing to use their rifles should a target close to within small arms range.

OOC: Was the Princess brought aboard, or is she attached to the tug but still in the water?

Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.040322,0.132093


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:13, Thu 31 Jan 2013.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1831 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 31 Jan 2013
at 04:20
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Bayer leaves the bridge, binoculars in one hand and map in the other. "Yvgenny" he says, waving for the Russian to follow him outside. Once outside, he gets into a position where he can see the pursuing boats. Looking through the binoculars at the monitor, Bayer uses the reticle pattern, measured in mils, to help measure a point in the water, cross referencing it with the map old Adam gave him of the river. There's no references points out on the open water, so he needs to use the neighboring land based topography and man made structures to triangulate a position on the river that he expects the monitor to sail into (or close by).

He then lines up the reticle pattern on the monitor, and counts the lines. At a thousand meters each mil represented one meter... and using this formula he could work backwards and estimate the range.

Bayer then stabs his thumb onto the map where he plans on directing the first mortar round fired by the Russians. Yelling over his shoulder, he begins, "Fire mission... grid 824 660... direction 5200... HE impact... one round to adjust..." He then looks over his shoulder and calls out to whoever can relay that to the mortar for him, "Got that?"

Then while the mortar is preparing to fire, he looks towards the ground where the ZU-23-2 is located and toggles his radio, "Filipov (Warren), Bayer. I want that zoo-two to hold fire and not to engage the escort. It is to fire only on the monitor after it has entered into it's arcs of fire. Over."

Bayer
Upper Deck
Calling in mortar fire and ordering the ZU-23-2 to stay quiet

This message was last edited by the player at 04:26, Thu 31 Jan 2013.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 618 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 31 Jan 2013
at 06:31
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

Using his last burst as a guide Craig continues to fire on either boat if he has a clear line of sight. At this point he is just looking to get some fire on target, but if he is firing on the converted landing craft he fires on the turrets.

If anyone at a loose end is close he will call them over to sight corrections on his fire.

DShK

Firing on either target that presents itself
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 514 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Thu 31 Jan 2013
at 10:34
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jay cursed the wasted effort as the boat moved him out of sight of the targets. While waiting for a new opportunity he glanced the other direction, scanning the river and far bank for any changes that might cause concern.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 743 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 31 Jan 2013
at 17:28
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet gritted her teeth and focused on her zigzags. Nothing else mattered but to keep the boat weaving and provide the enemy with the hardest target she could. She cast an eye on the wind, now would be a good time for the treacherous winds in this region of the river to start playing up as it would play hob with that pig of a monitor's navigation.

Zig

Zag

Griet
Zig zagging
Careful not to get into a pattern

Minh Quyen
 player, 680 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 31 Jan 2013
at 22:41
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Cap'n Rae:
Four geysers, each about two meters in height, walk their way towards the slow-moving tug before a fifth HE grenade explodes against the hull with a sharp, metallic BANG!


"Oh shit!" Quyen says wide eyed at the near hits and sole impact. She then hunkers down below the gunwhales as much as possible and grips the PKM tightly and ready for action... waiting for the distance to close before she can add to the fire directed on the enemy boats. She wanted to light up and smoke so bad though.

Quyen then glances over at Tucker and his RPG and says "Once more into the fray my friend."

Quyen
Bow
Keeping low until targets in range
PKM (100/100)

Anders Mattson
 player, 43 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Fri 1 Feb 2013
at 06:19
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Förbannat", Anders cursed in his maternal tongue, Swedish, as the Queen turned and blocked his aim. He kept his weapon aimed at the direction it was already at and prepared to engage the enemy as soon as they'd reppear from behind the superstructure. First thing on his short list would be acquiring the police boat's gunner and silencing him.

Manning the Vasilek as the gunner
Weapon readied, waiting for a firing solution

This message was last edited by the player at 11:01, Fri 01 Feb 2013.

Jeff D. Warren
 player, 523 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Fri 1 Feb 2013
at 06:27
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Warren keys his radio "Da. Relaying now."

Waiting for a break in the steady comm traffic of the excited Russians, he breaks the net, speaking in Russian  "Drakon eto koroleva. Tselevaya tolʹko krupnyye kanonerskoy lodki , no v pervoy zhe vozmozhnosti ! Povtorite, prioritetom yavlyayetsya kanonerskoy lodki!"


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)

Dragon this is Queen.  Target only the larger gunboat, but at earliest opportunity!  Repeat, priority is the the gunboat!


Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 98 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Fri 1 Feb 2013
at 10:26
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
The next time the Krolowa's zigzags brought the police boat into his field of fire, Thijs opened up once again.  At this range, just hitting the boat was difficult enough; specifically targeting the grenade launcher or the pilot's station was out of the question.  He could, however, still hope for another lucky shot.

Thijs
Starboard DShK
C7A1 LSW [90/90 +(6x30)] slung, on SAFE
Shooting again at police boat, if possible

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 23 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sat 2 Feb 2013
at 00:16
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Connolly glances over her shoulder at the temporarily-orphaned Russians.  "Shit," she remarks conversationally.  "I forgot about them.  Mariusz!  Change of plans!"  She takes another look around, fixing the positions of both enemy vessels in her spatial awareness, then waits for Griet's maneuvering to mask the tug's port side from enemy fire.

If you have a rifle, you're another grunt.  If you have a pistol, you're an officer.  "Hold this for me."  She hands Danny her Kalashnikov, stands up, and steps over to the trio of cavalrymen, willing herself not to flinch at the rattle of shrapnel off the tug's hull.  "Gentlemen," she says in English, pitching her voice to deliver confidence even if the words don't come through, "this young man knows our ship very well.  He'll be your guide until we win the battle.  We'll get you back to your unit as soon as we can."  She indicates Mariusz with an imperious sweep of her hand.  "Mariusz, take charge of these men and do something unpleasant to the enemy."  Carefully watching the cavalrymen's faces, she favors the most receptive-looking one with a faint but approving smile and nod, then turns and casually strolls back to cover as the roll of the deck tells her Griet is unmasking the port side again.

"Give," she advises Danny, reclaiming her AIMS-74.  "'Boy Wonder?'  Really, Larue?  That's the best you could give him?"

Boots
AIMS-74 [30/30 + 4 magazines] - readied, on SAFE
M11 [13/13 + 2 magazines] - holstered, loaded but decocked

main deck, port side; fostering international cooperation (19:16, Today: Dominique 'Boots' Connolly rolled 7 using 1d20. Leadership check. )

This message was last edited by the player at 00:16, Sat 02 Feb 2013.

Daniel Larue
 player, 283 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sat 2 Feb 2013
at 00:21
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Danny passes the major's AK back to her with a resigned sigh.  "Think about it, Boss.  Teenage orphan sidekick.  Acrobatic, even."  He shrugs.  "I will admit, it made more sense when we had Dave around to play the dark, brooding vigilante."

Danny
Winona [30/30 + 5 magazines] - slung, on SAFE
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

main deck, port side; standing by for damage control or first aid

This message was last edited by the player at 00:22, Sat 02 Feb 2013.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1143 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 2 Feb 2013
at 10:21
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Mariusz looked at the Russians and said, "This boat is run by warrior women and their pet German, only in Poland, eh? Come with me and we'll get you into cover until we're close enough to make a contribution to the battle. Until then your job is to stay alive and stop any fires if they appear. Are there any questions?"

Mariusz led the Russians to the rear of the boat and got them in to the best cover that he could find.

Mariusz
Fantail (watching for horse turds)
Taking cover
Prepared to act as damage team

Jan Cerny
 player, 1528 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 2 Feb 2013
at 11:05
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jan seemed to be a little spare at the moment as his weaponry lacked the range to be effective at the present time.  He was glad of that however because he didn't particularly want to be within the range of the monitor and its armament.

He moved over to join Craig on the port DShk, ready to act as his number 2 when he needed to reload and helping to spot as necessary in the meantime.  Once the police boat got closer his grenade launcher and even the LAW would come into play but he hoped that the other weapons could knock it out before it got within range.

Ryan seemed to be spare as well so Jan called over to him. "Ryan, go and assist Thijs on the starboard DShk."


Jan
Moving to assist Craig on the Port DShk.
Full combat tag to come later - I'm on my phone at present

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2792 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 2 Feb 2013
at 16:31
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

The Krolowa continues to steam upriver, away from the two pursuing enemy vessels. The police boat continues to stay inside the Krolowa's blind spot, its main gunner periodically lobbing short bursts of 30mm HE in the tug's direction. Mariusz and his three Russians have the best view at the moment; they are also the most vulnerable. Fortunately, all of the grenades fall in the tug's wake, further disturbing the white water churned up by her straining screws. The rest of the Krolowa's crew is frustrated by the lack of opportunities to return fire. Niether Dishka can fire directly aft and whenever Griet zigs, the police boat zigs with her. Each swerve makes it harder for the police boat's gunner to hit the tug, but it also allows the bee-lining monitor to close a little more ground.

Konrad, on deck just aft of the bridge, relays a fire mission to the shore-based 120mm mortar. It takes nearly a minute from the initial orders to the firing of the first round, the THWOMP clearly audible on the tug. A few seconds later, the river explodes in a tower of white water about 100m dead ahead of the monitor. When the curtain of spray descends, the monitor is revealed to have swerved slightly to starboard, edging closer to the west bank (basically following the course established by the police boat). The monitor crew seems to have recognized the threat posed by the high ground on their port side (north) and they don't seem to be aware of the mortar's position on the west bank.

By now, the police boat has drawn roughly even with Dobiegniewo and the Soviet 'deserters' in the hamlet make their presence known, peppering the smaller, unarmored vessel with small arms fire. It returns fire with its starboard and aft PKMs while turning away from the west bank. Both sides' fire is deadly accurate and there's certain to be casualties on both sides. The men on the bluffs maintain fire discipline, realizing that the fast-moving target is too far away for small arms fire to be effective against it. (If the tug manouvers correctly when the boat breaks to port, at least one of the Dishka gunners should get another shot at it.)

The low speed chase continues. The Krolowa keeps pushing upriver, tring to draw the monitor into the ZU-23-2's kill box. In the meantime, there's not much to do on board the tug as long as she's running away from her pursuers. Konrad can call in corrections for a second mortar round, and the heavy machinegunners can stay ready for another opportune moment for a hopeful very long range shot. Fortunately, there's no damage to attend to, but that could change at any moment.


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.080642,0.264187


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:32, Sat 02 Feb 2013.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1832 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 2 Feb 2013
at 18:59
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Bayer hears the weapon signature of the 120mm mortar firing in the distance and glaces down at the second hand on his watch ticking along, calculating the flight time. When the round impacts on the water he notes the time and raises his binoculars back up to observe the river behind the Queen. Once again using the reticle pattern to measure the distances, he gauges the the distance and deviation of the spotter round and prepares to make corrections - factoring in the flight time to help aid in accuracy. Had the monitor not altered course, it would be much easier, but it's still not too much of a problem since the round landed fairly close to it's target.

Looking over at Yvgenny first, Bayer pauses for a brief moment to factor in the delay of the flight time, then shouts over his shoulder, "One round for adjust fire... left fifty... add twenty five..."

What he does next depends on the accuracy of the next spotting round. If the round is still off by 50-100 meters, Bayer will make a third correction. However, if it falls under 50 meters from the boat, Bayer will call for "fire for effect"... until the monitor moves out of the impact area.

Bayer
Just aft of the bridge
Adjusting mortar fire
Binoculars & Map

This message was last edited by the player at 19:00, Sat 02 Feb 2013.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1532 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 3 Feb 2013
at 18:40
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Realising that no one was using the PKM that Craig had mounted in the aft firing position Jan left his position beside the British Commando and made his way quickly to the rear of the boat on the quarterdeck.  He wasn't sure whether the scout boat was actually going to come within range of the PKM but he was more likely to be able to engage with it than his AK.

He ducked cautiously into the position, trying not to expose himself to any fire from the enemy machineguns or the AGS, and once he was there he loaded and fired a single burst with the PKM at the scout boat to ascertain whether it was actually possible to hit the targets once you allowed for the movement of both boats.  He hadn't fired a machinegun in a while and he couldn't ever remember firing one from a moving boat at another moving boat!


Jan
Moving to the aft fighting position on the quarterdeck and manning the PKM there, loading and then firing a single 5 rnd burst at the scout boat
Aft Fighting Position - crouched
PKM (100/100) - manned
AK-74 Assault Rifle (30/30 - 30rnd mag x10) - slung
BG-15 Grenade Launcher (1/1 HE - HE x17) - underslung on AK-74
P226 Pistol (15/15 - 15rnd mag x4) - holster
M72A4 LAW - slung over shoulder
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch

This message was last edited by the player at 22:06, Sun 03 Feb 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 744 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 3 Feb 2013
at 21:58
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet kept zig-zagging and plodded toward the north shore. She looked over her shoulder at the pursuing boats and said, "Let me know when the monitor in a kilometer away, it should be a major threat then."

"All guns," she said over the intercom, "When we turn to engage I will execute a three sixty turn on the spot. Starboard Dushka will have a chance of firing before all gun come to bear."

Griet
Zig-zagging

Daniel Larue
 player, 284 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Mon 4 Feb 2013
at 01:41
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Crouching just inside the port entryway off the galley, Danny twiddles his thumbs, watches the bluffs on the north bank, and waits for the inevitable medic call.  He finds himself whistling Jungle Work and drumming on Winona's upper receiver.

Danny
Winona [30/30 + 5 magazines] - slung, on SAFE
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

main deck, port side; standing by for damage control or first aid

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 24 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Mon 4 Feb 2013
at 01:47
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Connolly makes her way aft to the machine shop and checks in on McClurg and Tadeusz to be sure they're under cover and ready to put out fires.  Once she's satisfied herself on that account, she pokes her head out the adjacent hatch to observe the painfully slow pursuit.

"Hey, Tadeusz," she calls, "would it give us any maneuver advantage to have the Zoo shoot out the monitor's rudder and props?  They can't have armored that thing everywhere."

Boots
AIMS-74 [30/30 + 4 magazines] - readied, on SAFE
M11 [13/13 + 2 magazines] - holstered, loaded but decocked

main deck, port side aft; watching and waiting

This message was last edited by the player at 01:47, Mon 04 Feb 2013.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 620 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 4 Feb 2013
at 07:54
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

Craig nodded to himself as the intercom blared. He lowered his body further behind the gun shield and steadied himself. He could see the steam coming off the large guns barrel as he waited.

If he was able to choose a target on either of the boats he would focus on the turrets on the monitor and just putting rounds towards the water taxi.


Port DShK
Firing on either target

This message was last edited by the player at 07:56, Mon 04 Feb 2013.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 99 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Mon 4 Feb 2013
at 19:37
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Hearing the announcement over the Tannoy, Thijs prepared himself.  When Griet executed the turn, he would have first opportunity to fire.  The smaller target was now a bit over 600 meters away -- still long reange, but reachable.

Thijs
Starboard DShK
*
C7A1 LSW [90/90 +(6x30)] slung, on SAFE
Ready to fire on water taxi
when brought to bear


*What is the current state of ammunition?
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2796 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 5 Feb 2013
at 01:07
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

The tug continues to run from Torun's brown water navy, drawing the larger of the two vessels towards the shore-based ZU-23-2's line of fire. At a top speed of 15kmph, the Krolowa feels like it's barely moving against the rush of the current. The police boat pulls to within about 250m of the slow-moving tug, continuing to pepper its quary's wake with high explosive grenades. Jan decides to respond with bursts of 7.62mmR fire from the PKM mounted on the quarterdeck. He kneels behind the sandbag revetment and takes aim. The first burst starts well, but Jan has a hard time keeping rounds on target. The police boat jinks as at least one of the incoming rounds hits its mark. Jan's second burst is better, most of the burst appearing to strike the vessel. The police boat swerves into a tight u-turn, bearing to port, just as the Krolowa zigs in the same direction. The port-side Dishka is thereby unmasked, allowing Craig a brief but clear shot at the now-fleeing vessel. His aim is off and the burst sails high. The Krolowa cuts to starboard as it commences its zag and, just like that, the police boat is out of sight behind the tug's stern. (Jan -10 rounds; Craig -5 rounds)

In the meantime, Konrad relays a correction to the Deserter's 120mm mortar. The second shot impacts just 10m off of the monitor's port bow, staggering the big vessel for a couple of seconds and showering it with thousands of gallons of white water. Konrad orders the mortar to fire for effect and two more rounds splash down around the monitor (neither one nearly as close as the second one) before he instructs the mortar to check fire. The monitor motors through the deluge, bobbing a bit as a result of the near miss. It's quite possible, likely even, that the mortar strike has caused some damage to the monitor's hull. Then, 100m or so past the impact zone, and at about the same time as the police boat calls off the chase, the monitor begins coming about, turning hard to starboard. The timing of the manouver couldn't be much worse. The Crocodile is just at the edge of the ZU crew's line of fire. Once it completes its turn and begins moving downriver, it will be out of the danger (the police boat, on the other hand, will have to run right through the ZU's kill zone on its way back to Torun). The monitor's heavy machineguns open up at the shore in both directions as it comes about.


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.040325,0.132093


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:10, Tue 05 Feb 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 745 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 5 Feb 2013
at 18:40
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet saw the monitor start to pull away and yelled over the intercom, "Stand by to come about!"

She readied the thrusters and then spun the Queen on the spot, "About."

She pointed the boat toward the enemy and started her pursuit.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 621 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 6 Feb 2013
at 01:54
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen


Craig tried to follow the pattern of the movement of the tug so he could anticipate a firing line on the departing boats. With the last line of misses it did not seem to be working.

He waited again for a chance to fire on either vessel.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1535 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 6 Feb 2013
at 09:06
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
As the police boat moved out of Craig's field of fire and behind the stern of the Queen it came into Jan's view.  He continued firing short controlled bursts at it with the PKM, focussing on hitting it rather that picking out a specific target on board.

When Griet executed the sharp turn of her ship it took the target away from him again, though it brought the enemy boats into everyone else's field of fire and that was the key thing.


Jan
Firing 5rnd bursts at the police launch while it is in his field of fire.
Aft Fighting Position - crouched
PKM (90/100) - manned
AK-74 Assault Rifle (30/30 - 30rnd mag x10) - slung
BG-15 Grenade Launcher (1/1 HE - HE x17) - underslung on AK-74
P226 Pistol (15/15 - 15rnd mag x4) - holster
M72A4 LAW - slung over shoulder
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 515 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Wed 6 Feb 2013
at 12:24
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jay maintained his vigil, looking all around for anything of interest.
Anders Mattson
 player, 45 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Wed 6 Feb 2013
at 15:46
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders kept the Vasilek ready for any potential target to take a shot at.

At the Vasilek, gunner
Ready action

Minh Quyen
 player, 681 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 7 Feb 2013
at 00:30
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
As soon as the tug turns about and is steady again Quyen props the PKM bipod up on whatever support is available. She adjusts the sights on the gun to corespond to the water taxi and braces herself as best as possible before firing. Minh is aware of the recoid at this range and will only squeeze off two bursts.

Quyen
PKM (100/100)
Firing 2 bursts at water taxi
Bow

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1835 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 7 Feb 2013
at 01:09
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Bayer looks left and right, towards the DSHK posts and shouts to them, "Machineguns... 500 meters... escort boat... rapid fire! Take out that boat!" He then leans over the railing and calls down to the crew of the main gun, "Anders! Jay! Hold fire. Wait to engage the monitor."

Then over his shoulder he speaks into the wheelhouse, "Can you give us full speed?"

This message was last edited by the player at 01:10, Thu 07 Feb 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 746 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 7 Feb 2013
at 16:27
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet ground the engines forward, "I'm giving you everything's she's got, Captain, I don't think the engines and boilers can take any more."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2797 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 8 Feb 2013
at 03:08
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

Griet tuns the wheel hard over, reversing one thruster while the other continued full forward, spinning the Krolowa around, turning 180 dgrees in less than two boat lengths. Just prior to the turn, Jan fires off a second burst at the fast-manouvering police boat. Since it's turning quickly, kicking up an impressive wake, an he's getting spun away by the tug's hard turn to starboard, Jan isn't sure if the burst did any good. Even though Thijs (NPC'ed), manning the starboard Dishka, was ready for the tug's sudden manouver, he too is nevertheless somewhat disoriented. Still, he manages to get off a decent shot at the fleeing police boat. Its portside machinegun cartwheels up into the air and tumbles into the Vistula with a splash. For the time being at least, the police boat is unable to engage the deserters firing on it from the wooded west bank. (Jan -5 rounds; Thijs -5 rounds 12.7mm; there should be about 75 rounds remaining in the starboard Dishka's current belt.)

As soon as the Krolowa's bow is pointed at the police boat, Minh joins the fight with the PKM, sending a couple of bursts at the receding target. She has a hard time getting rounds on target, so she stops after the second burst, unsure of whether she registered any hits with the ten rounds she fired. (Minh -10 rounds)

At about the same time, the ZU-23-2 crew, situated at the top of the bluff overlooking the path from the riverbank, decides to take take advantage of the narrow window of opportunity presented them. Despite not receiving an order to fire from Konrad (via liaison), the crew fires two bursts at the monitor as it comes about. The first burst strikes the monitor aft, striking just above and just below the waterline. The metalic hammering of the autocannon is answered by the metalic hammering of its rounds impacting with monitor's hull. The Crocodile draws away and the second burst kicks up five pillars of spray in its wake; the monitor pulls out of the ZU's line of fire. The police boat still has to pass through the ZU-23-2's field of fire, but the gun crew is under strict orders not to engage the smaller, faster vessel. That window will soon shut as well.

The police boat, catching hell from the west bank, chases after the retreating monitor. The Krolowa, moving with the current at flank speed, reaches a top speed of about 17kph. The Crocodile, buffeted by the explosion of a 120mm HE round just 10m off her port bow, and likely holed near or below the waterline by 2-3 23mm HE rounds, seems to be slowing down a little, but it's rather hard to tell considering its substantial lead and the relatively slow closing rate that the unfettered tug may or may not be currently achieving. The Crocodile is covering the fast flight of its escort, blasting away at the treeline along the west bank with its forward KPV and port side Dishka HMG.


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.040322,0.132093


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:23, Fri 08 Feb 2013.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1837 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 8 Feb 2013
at 03:23
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Griet... one more quick quarter turn to port. Give Thijs another chance to finish off that escort." Bayer calls loudly. Then alerting the British Commando, he yells, "Starboard gun, stand by! Rapid fire!" As lightly defended the water taxi is, he wanted, and expected, it to be sunk by now. "Tear that escort boat apart!"

Bayer then returns his attention to the monitor and raises his binoculars. The foam from the recent impacts was vanishing quickly, but he still had a good idea of where the mortar still was targeted. "Mortar!" he yells next, getting both Warren and the liaison's attention again while he mentally judges the distance, the speed of the boat, and the flight time that he measured earlier. "Right fifty. Add two hundred. One round for adjust." he says once ready.

...if the next round is once more within his imaginary kill zone, Bayer will immediately call for fire for effect again. Otherwise, he make a second correction.

Bayer
Directing fire
Bridge

This message was last edited by the player at 04:14, Fri 08 Feb 2013.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 25 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Fri 8 Feb 2013
at 03:39
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Connolly cringes as the ZU-23-2 opens up.  "Fuckin' hate those things," she mutters to no one in particular, unaware that she's speaking aloud.

Boots
AIMS-74 [30/30 + 4 magazines] - readied, on SAFE
M11 [13/13 + 2 magazines] - holstered, loaded but decocked

main deck, port side aft; standing by for damage control

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 100 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Fri 8 Feb 2013
at 04:09
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Ja!" cried Thijs as the escort boat's machine gun went flying.  On Konrad's urging, he continued firing as long as the DShK could bear.

Thijs
Starboard DShK [75]
'Tearing apart' escort boat (if possible)

This message was last edited by the player at 04:11, Fri 08 Feb 2013.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 622 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 8 Feb 2013
at 07:15
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

Craig continued to main the port DShK while trying to see the battle unfolding ahead of the tug. If the opportunity arises to fire on either target he takes it.

Port DShK
Firing on either target if able.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 748 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 8 Feb 2013
at 16:28
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet angled the Queen at eleven o'clock to the line of pursuit to allow one of the Dushkas to fire at the police boat. The tack would take them toward the southernmost bank.

"Take the police boat out quickly if you can," she said, "we're going to lose more and more distance like this. If you want full speed we'll lose the Dushkas."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:28, Sat 09 Feb 2013.

Minh Quyen
 player, 682 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 8 Feb 2013
at 22:21
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Sergeant! Spot me!" Quyen calls over the top of the PKM to Tucker. She then double checks the sights on the weapon and reaims at the water taxi. Then after bracing herself and the bipod again she squeezes off two bursts at the boat. She pauses between the salvos to listen for Tucker's observation.

Quyen
PKM (90/100)
Firing 2 bursts at taxi boat [bipod!]
Bow

Jan Cerny
 player, 1540 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 8 Feb 2013
at 23:37
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
The sharp turn Griet made with the Queen threw off his aim, though in truth he was hardly the best shot with a machine gun when he was on a stationary firing platform, and Jan rapidly lost sight of any target.  He adjusted his position in the aft fighting position, trying to make himself more stable should the boat rock violently again.

"Capitaine.  Griet," he called out.  "Do you want me to stay here?"

He really wished that he was on shore with the Russians firing at the boats on the river rather than engaging from on-board one!  He felt dangerously exposed where he was, despite the defences that Craig had built.

Unless ordered otherwise he stayed where he was in case a target came into view again and if that happened he engaged again.


Jan
Waiting for a target to appear
Aft Fighting Position - crouched
PKM (85/100) - manned
AK-74 Assault Rifle (30/30 - 30rnd mag x10) - slung
BG-15 Grenade Launcher (1/1 HE - HE x17) - underslung on AK-74
P226 Pistol (15/15 - 15rnd mag x4) - holster
M72A4 LAW - slung over shoulder
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1841 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sat 9 Feb 2013
at 00:06
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jan Cerny:
"Capitaine.  Griet," he called out.  "Do you want me to stay here?"


Bayer waits for a second to see if Griet answers Jan, then calls out to him, "Move up."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2803 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 9 Feb 2013
at 20:59
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

Griet angles the nose of the tug slightly to port, allowing Thijs to put the running police boat in his Soviet heavy machinegun's ring sights. At nearly 1000m, he fires two closely-spaced five-round bursts. At least one of the outgoing incandescent green tracers (every fifth round) arcs into the target's blunt stern. White smoke leaks from an unseen wound, darkening rapidly until it's oily black, billowing copiously from the police boat's wrecked engine. The vessel slows rapidly and flames are soon visible leaping from its stern. Even before Thijs shreds its engine, Minh adds to the fire directed at the smaller of the fleeing enemy vessels. Two hopeful bursts most likely fail to find the target (at almost 1000m, it's almost impossible to follow the smaller green 7.62mmR tracers all the way to the target). If Griet maintains the pursuit at flank speed, the range to the apparently crippled police boat should continue to close, offering Minh a better chance at doing damage in the near future. In the meantime, Jan carries the second PKM forward, concentrating the tug's firepower in the bows. The Vasilek crew plays spectator, watching events unfold and chomping at the bit. (-10 rounds 12.7mm; -10 rounds PKM)

Using his map grid and the last impact area as a baseline, Konrad calls in a third adjustment for the 120mm mortar crew. About a minute later, another mortar bomb splashes down in the Vistula hurling skyward a tower of white water about 100m long and slightly to the left of the monitor's current course. The Crocodile immediately bears more to starboard, slowly moving closer to the east bank. It is, however, past the bluffs and therefore likely out of danger from shore fire. (The mortar now has 4 more HE rounds left)


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.040322,0.132093


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:08, Sat 09 Feb 2013.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 103 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Sat 9 Feb 2013
at 21:50
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Unless the tug turned again, taking the escort out of his field of fire, Thijs expected to be able to continue pouring lead into the smaller boat.  It was wounded now; all that was needed was to put it out of its misery (and eliminate the threat of its remaining weapons).

Thijs
Starboard DShK [65 rounds]
Continuing fire on the escort

Jan Cerny
 player, 1543 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 9 Feb 2013
at 22:09
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Struggling under the weight of carrying the PKM as well as his own gear Jan staggered forward from the aft fighting position to join Tuck and Minh in the bow of the boat as instructed.  Once there he quickly set up the machine gun with the bipod jammed just over the gunwale to keep it as stable as possible, ready to engage any targets to the front.  The range to the police boat was long however to he held his fire for the moment.

"The smaller boat looks badly damaged," he commented to Tuck and Minh.  It hadn't been spewing smoke when he'd last seen it so Thijs or Craig had certainly done some damage to it.  "Is it still a threat?"


Jan
Setting up the second PKM in the bow
Crouched on the bow, using the gunwale as cover
PKM (85/100) - manned
AK-74 Assault Rifle (30/30 - 30rnd mag x10) - slung
BG-15 Grenade Launcher (1/1 HE - HE x17) - underslung on AK-74
P226 Pistol (15/15 - 15rnd mag x4) - holster
M72A4 LAW - slung over shoulder
Frag grenade x2 - webbing pouch
Smoke grenade x2 - webbing pouch

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1842 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 10 Feb 2013
at 04:48
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Bayer notes the latest mortar impact and measures the distance through his binoculars, trying to calculate the next impact to where the monitor would be next. Hollering over his shoulder to the translator and Warren, he shouts, "Drop fifty, right two hundred!" Then deciding to give it all they had in one last go instead of chasing it with single shots, adds, "Fire for effect!"

Bayer's eyes then shift over to the smoking escort and he quickly steps into the wheelhouse again. "Griet... the escort. I doubt with no engine they will prefer the cold water to surrender. Your thoughts on overtaking it instead of sinking it? We could use whatever they have on board."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 752 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 10 Feb 2013
at 09:21
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Fire on it a few more times with the medium machineguns and get Mariusz to ready the launch." Griet said, "As we close I'll use the tannoy to order their surrender and launch the Princess. The Princess can ferry the prisoners to us whilst the boat is still under our guns and then Mariusz and the Russians can work on getting the salvage to shore, if they can't move the boat they can strip it."

She kept the boat angled so that Thisj could keep covering the police boat but still make the best speed she could after the monitor, if they didn't kill it now then they would have to fight it again in more difficult circumstances.
Daniel Larue
 player, 285 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 10 Feb 2013
at 15:54
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Danny frowns as the Queen's gunners continue to lash the disabled police boat.  With a mental shrug toward the lack of effective return fire, he quickly makes his way to the stern to find Connolly.  "You wanna do something about that?" he asks without preamble, jerking his head at Thijs' enthusiastic fire.

At the pilot's raised eyebrow, he elaborates.  "Them boys can either burn, freeze, or drown right now.  I got no problem shooting a man who's tryin' to kill me, but this is turning into an execution.  We take 'em off and we may get some intel, too."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:58, Sun 10 Feb 2013.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 26 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sun 10 Feb 2013
at 15:57
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Connolly stares at Danny.  "You're not going."  She's already raising a hand to cut off the protest she knows is coming.  "You're our only medic, Sergeant.  You're.  Not.  Going."

She stabs the intercom button with a gloved finger.  "Sunray, Boots.  Request permission to launch for salvage and prisoners."  She releases the button, glances toward Mariusz and his entourage, and mutters, "I really need to learn some Russian."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:57, Sun 10 Feb 2013.

Anders Mattson
 player, 46 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sun 10 Feb 2013
at 17:28
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders had mixed feelings about not having a firing solution on the enemy. It was nice to be behind cover against the enemy weaponry, at least some cover, but not being able to fire back if fired upon was something that had him worried. He kept the Vasilek ready to fire upon moments notice, should a target reveal itself, but for now, all he could do was to wait.

Manning the Vasilek as a gunner
Action readied

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 518 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Mon 11 Feb 2013
at 20:32
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jay exchanged a glance with Anders. They hadn't yet entered the fray, but their weapon could be key if they end up scrapping with the monitor. For now, he kept alert and waited.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2804 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 12 Feb 2013
at 01:31
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

Continuing to bear slightly to port, the Krolowa closes with the drifting, burning police boat. Thijs, uniformed of the decision to board and capture the disabled enemy vessels, continues to fire at it*. Fortunately for any survivors who may still be on board, he doesn't hit it. It's somewhat ironic, considering his success against the police boat when it was darting about at high speed. Now that the target is essentially stationary he can't seem to connect. Both Jan and Minh defer to the firepower of the HMG, holding their fire accordingly, but ready to engage should they be given cause. (Thijs -15 rounds)

*I'm going to assume that, at some point before Thijs sinks the police boat with HMG fire, someone tells him to cease fire.

The monitor continues to move away, abandoning its compatriot to the advancing tug. The Crocodile is more than a match for the Queen, but for some reason- the heavy mortar perhaps- its captain decides to run. Keeping up the pressure, Konrad calls in a fourth round of corrections and the mortar crew, down to only four 120mm HE rounds, drops another bomb into the Vistula. The resulting explosion rocks the river about 100m short of target, kicking up a muddy tower of water off its port quarter.

The tug closes to within clear hailing distance of the badly damaged police boat. Griet uses the loudspeaker to call for the crew's surrender. Two men are aft, trying in vain to extinguish the fierce flames leaping out of the sprung engine hatch. Another man near the back door of the vessel's low-slung bridge waves an oily rag above his head in a gesture of submission. The starboard PKM is unmanned and the port one is gone altogether. The AGS is mounted foward and is therefore pointed away from the approaching tug. The boat is powerless, pulled downriver by the swift current. It's slowly drifing towards the west bank. It was mid channel when it lost power, though, so there's still nearly a kilometer between it and the shore. The river curves north several kilometers on; if the police boat continues to drift along the same course, there's a good chance it will run aground on some portion of the curve (if it stays afloat that long).

It will be difficult for the Princess to close with the stricken vessel. If the fire could be put out, it would be easier. Stopping to fight the fire and take the police boat under tow will, however, allow the monitor to get away. The Crocodile has already put a little more distance between itself and the Queen. On the other hand, pursuing the monitor abandons the police boat to the vagaries of current and combustion.


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.020162,0.066047


<Green>Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:21, Tue 12 Feb 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 753 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 12 Feb 2013
at 16:21
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"If we let the monitor go we'll have to fight it again without any support," Griet said, "we could use the weapons on the police boat but I don't think we should risk losing the crocodile. I suggest putting the Princess in the water and getting the survivors to swim to them. What do you think Kaptain?"

Griet hated letting good weapons go to waste but getting distracted by looting when they had a battle to win seemed pointless. She turned the Queen to make it a proper stern chase until they got in firing range of the Crocodile.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1144 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 12 Feb 2013
at 16:23
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Mariusz jumped to Connolley's orders and said to the Russians, "Help me get the boat in the water. We have prisoners to pick up."

He reached the davits and started to ready the Princess.
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 27 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Wed 13 Feb 2013
at 02:29
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Connolly quirks her mouth as she examines the burning police boat.  She runs a quick mental inventory of people on board who might know how to put out an engine fire.  The list is short and her best candidates are either indispensable elsewhere or already injured.  She frowns and hammers the intercom button again.  "Lieutenant Carlisle and Mister Filipov to the boat.  Rig for firefighting."

Turning to Danny, she states, "Larue, I'm borrowing your radio."  She plucks the AN/PRC-139 from the PJ's armor before he can object and stuffs it into an empty pouch on her own webbing.  From a pocket, she drags a knotted and frayed commo line, jamming one end into the radio and the other into her helmet's jacks. "Sunray, Boots.  Comm check on channel fourteen," she transmits.  Once she has an acknowledgement, she continues, "we're launching now.  Priority is prisoners, intel, salvage."  She tosses a couple of life rings into the boat, then briefly considers one of the irreplaceable CO2 extinguishers before shaking her head and grabbing a heavy pressurized water canister.

Boots
fire extinguisher
AIMS-74 [30/30 + 4 magazines] - slung, on SAFE
M11 [13/13 + 2 magazines] - holstered, loaded but decocked

arrh, boarders away

This message was last edited by the player at 11:41, Wed 13 Feb 2013.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 624 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 13 Feb 2013
at 04:33
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

Craig continues to provide cover with the heavy machine gun he is stationed behind.If the need arises his G3 is within arms reach should the boats occupants decide to fight and the order to save the boat is still in place. Oh course this all depends on the tug pointing in the right direction.

Port side DShK

Holding fire
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 104 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Wed 13 Feb 2013
at 15:12
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Even had he not been ordered to cease fire, Thijs would have done so in response to the white(ish) flag displayed by the smaller boat's crew.  He continues to cover the craft while the Princess is being launched, turning his attention to the Crocodile once the Krolowa has swept past.  "I need more ammo soon," he calls to whoever is nearby.

Thijs
Starboard DShK [50 rounds]
Awaiting further orders

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1843 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 13 Feb 2013
at 16:27
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Bayer glances back at the stricken escort, concluding on second glance that it wouldn't be as easy as he initially hoped to salvage what was abaord. "Alright, stay with the monitor." he says in agreement with Griet.

Bayer then exits the wheelhouse again and takes up his position on the upper deck where he was earlier. Toggling his radio, he responds to Connoly, "Sunray. Loud and Clear. Launch when ready. You are on your own for this - we aren't stopping. Over."

Bayer then shouts down to the damage control group, "Machinegun ammo! Starboard gun! Let's go."

Lasty, he returns his attention to the monitor and begins recalculating the next mortar salvo.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:28, Wed 13 Feb 2013.

Daniel Larue
 player, 286 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Wed 13 Feb 2013
at 23:26
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Danny rolls his eyes at Connolly.  "Fine, but no more swimming."

At the call for ammo, he throws an acknowledging wave to Bayer and ducks into the arms locker to grab a case of Dishka ammo.  He takes the still-icy stairs quickly but carefully, watching his balance with the fifty-pound wooden crate.  "Which side is starboard, again?" he asks Thijs rhetorically.  "Hey, sweet.  I had a fifty percent chance of being right and here you are."

Danny
Winona [30/30 + 5 magazines] - slung, on SAFE
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

we also serve who only fetch ammo

This message was last edited by the player at 00:19, Thu 14 Feb 2013.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 27 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Wed 13 Feb 2013
at 23:34
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Copy," Connolly advises Bayer.  "Good hunting.  We'll see you at the party.  Boots clear."

She turns to "her" boat crew.  "Okay.  Carlisle, you and I will handle the fire if it can be handled.  Filipov," with a glance to Warren to assure herself that she's getting his assumed name right, "you and the cav troopers are on prisoner detail.  Mariusz, you're driving.  Bring us in on the upwind side."

Boots
fire extinguisher
AIMS-74 [30/30 + 4 magazines] - slung, on SAFE
M11 [13/13 + 2 magazines] - holstered, loaded but decocked

arrh, boarders away

This message was last updated by the player at 23:34, Wed 13 Feb 2013.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1544 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 14 Feb 2013
at 00:10
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jan stayed ducked down behind the gunwale, ready to engage with the PKM if necessary but conscious that the armour on the monitor probably made it pointless.

"If that boat gets away there is no way we can take the Queen any further down the river." he commented to those near him.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2806 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 14 Feb 2013
at 00:57
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

Under Connolly's supervision, the River Princess is launched to enact the rescue of the police boat's surrendering crew. In the boat with her are Mariusz, Warren, Carlisle, and the three stranded cavalrymen, all of whom have a least a couple of hours' experience in small boat handling. With the Princess away, the Krolowa, fireboxes blazing white hot, speeds after the fleeing monitor at flank speed.

The Princess pulls up alongside the drifting police boat. The fire is so far contained to the engine deck, but the blaze in not what one could consider under control. The surviving crew of five, two of whom are more or less incapacitated due to wounds, is doing its best to stop the fire from spreading, but they've exhausted all of their meager firefighting equipment in the attempt. The fire will soon spread, affecting the destruction of the police boat. The Princess only has room for about two or three (max) more passengers. It will have to make at least two trips to take off all of the police boat's crew. Taking them all off at once is possible, but it will make getting safely back to shore (or the tug) much more of a feat. Taking off all of the crew and all of the police boats remaining weapons and ammunition will almost certainly result in the swamping of the Princess.

Meanwhile, the tug steams past the two smaller vessels, one friend, one defeated foe, and chases after the Crocodile, gaining so slowly that it's almost imperceptible. The Vasilek has the capability of engaging the target at the current range, but it will be a long shot with a relatively small likelihood of achieving a hit. On the other hand, the monitor's lone rear-facing weapon, a 12.7mm HMG, can't effectively hit back. If and when the Krolowa closes the distance, both weapons will have a greater chance of doing harm. At the moment, the advantage, slim as it might be, lies with the tug.


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.040325,0.132093


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:05, Thu 14 Feb 2013.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 28 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Thu 14 Feb 2013
at 02:11
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Connolly swings herself aboard the police boat, then turns to assist Carlisle and one of the cavalrymen aboard before reclaiming the extinguishers.  She gives the scorched crew a brief quelling glance to ensure they aren't going to cause any trouble.  "Mariusz, take the healthy ones ashore, then come back for us," she orders.  "Filipov, stay with them.  Make sure nothing happens before we can get intel out of them."  The expression with which she favors Warren clearly communicates her belief that he's the single biggest threat to the prisoners.

Turning toward the fire, she locks down her helmet's Lexan visor and flexes her hands inside her gloves before pulling her extinguisher's locking pin and addressing Carlisle.  "Okay, Lieutenant.  Call it when you're ready.  If we can't knock it down, we'll shut the hatch and hope it chokes for lack of oxygen."

Boots
fire extinguisher
AIMS-74 [30/30 + 4 magazines] - slung, on SAFE
M11 [13/13 + 2 magazines] - holstered, loaded but decocked

the boat, the boat, the boat is on fire

This message was last edited by the player at 16:23, Sat 16 Feb 2013.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1145 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Thu 14 Feb 2013
at 09:36
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Mariusz nodded at his orders and once the able-bodied prisoners were on board, he pointed the Princess for the nearest shore and nursed the engine as they headed for the bank.
Anders Mattson
 player, 47 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Thu 14 Feb 2013
at 13:04
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders took a careful aim, estimating the range, calculating the elevation with the help of the Soviet-manufactured optics. If there was something they knew how to manufacture, it was optics and airplanes.

"Ready! Firing", he shouted and the last word nearly drowned in the boom of the mortar firing.

Firing the Vasilek at the Monitor
5/4 rounds 82mm HE
15:03, Today: Anders Mattson rolled 18 using 1d20. Heavy Gun+Strength: 11.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 519 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Thu 14 Feb 2013
at 13:51
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
At last, Jay was able to join in the action. Following Anders' lead he did his job as gun crew.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1844 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 14 Feb 2013
at 21:18
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Leaning over the railing, Bayer yells down, "Hold fire! Wait until we close the range."

He then scans for the last mortar impact and makes another correction, calling out to the liaison, "Adjust fire... right fifty... add three hundred." When the Russian is done relaying the information, Bayer will ask him, "Do they have any WP, smoke, or just explosive rounds?"

Bayer
Making corrections to 120mm
Bridge

This message was last edited by the player at 21:19, Thu 14 Feb 2013.

Minh Quyen
 player, 683 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 14 Feb 2013
at 21:37
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
As the escort is no longer a threat and the croc too far Quyen lowers the PKM down and waits. She watches the closer boat as they pass but does nothing more than keep low against the protective sides of the tug.

Quyen then looks over at the croc that is still far off and decides to light up that smoke she wanted earlier.

Quyen
PKM (80/100)
Bow
Smoking and waiting

This message was last edited by the player at 21:37, Thu 14 Feb 2013.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 625 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Thu 14 Feb 2013
at 23:42
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen


Craig waits behind the protective shield of the gun. As he watches the side of the river bank relatively streak by in comparison to the usual pace of the tug. He strains for a look at the fleeing enemy every once and awhile.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:52, Fri 15 Feb 2013.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 107 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Fri 15 Feb 2013
at 03:42
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"No, this is stuurboord," Thijs said, laughing at LaRue's comment.  "But it was I who requested the ammunition you are carrying.  Thank you, PJ."  He took the ammo can from LaRue and placed it below the machinegun's pintle, ready for reloading when the current belt ran out.

His concern for running out addressed, Thijs kept watch on the police boat until the Princess pulled alongside and her crew boarded.  He then turned most of his attention to the Crocodile while scanning the right bank.  He knew total fixation on a target could lead to unpleasant surprises, especially during which looked to become a long chase.



Thijs
Starboard DShK [50 rounds +]
*
Waiting and watching


*How much in the can?
Jan Cerny
 player, 1545 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 15 Feb 2013
at 23:47
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jan considered joining Minh in a cigarette but decided against it.  He continued studying the rear of the fleeing monitor instead, concerned with what he was looking at.

"We are exposed here," he said to the others.  "As we get closer to that boat it will be able to shoot us before we can get our machine guns to fire on it."

He pulled the PKM back inside the boat and crouched down so that he was just able to peer over the gunwale.

"This could get very bad."
Daniel Larue
 player, 291 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sat 16 Feb 2013
at 16:30
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"No problem," Danny grins as Thijs.  He unlatches the can and flips open the lid.  "Should be another hundred rounds in here.  Try not to spend it all in one place, huh?"

He's about to return to his station belowdecks when an unpleasant thought occurs to him.  He squints at the withdrawing monitor for a few seconds, then makes his way to Bayer's position.  "Hey, Hauptmann," he asks, "you wanna have the cav push out some scouts on both banks?  For all the guns, that's still a troop carrier out there.  If they dropped a couple of weapons platoons upriver, we might be about to sail into someone else's fire-sack."

Danny
Winona [30/30 + 5 magazines] - slung, on SAFE
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

giving Konrad more ulcers

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2808 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 16 Feb 2013
at 17:53
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

While the Krolowa takes off after the Crocodile, the Princess comes alongside the crippled police boat. While one of the deserters attaches a line to the larger vessel, the other two, followed quickly by Connolly and Carlisle, climb aboard (Mariusz and Warren remain on board the Princess, awaiting a load of prisoners). Covered by the boys from the 89th, the two Americans make a beeline for the fire still leaping from the engine deck hatches right aft. Both of their fire extinguishers are old-fashioned water spraying models (there probably aren't many proper ones anywhere in the world right now), so the odds of putting out an engine fire aren't very good. Nevertheless, Connolly, who has more skill in mechanics, points out the spot where a few liters of water will likely do the most good, and she and Carlisle concentrate their efforts there. One of the crewmen, who'd been beating at the blaze with a river water-soaked blanket steps back while the Americans spray the fire down. Miraculously, the strategically placed water from the extinguishers quickly dampens the blaze. When both extinguishers are empty, the fire is significantly smaller. Connolly grabs the wet blanket away from the boat crewman and beats out the remainder of the fire. The charred engine block continues to smoke, emitting a strong burnt rubber and hot metal smell, but the fire appears to have been put out. During the battle with the blaze, the three 89th men hustle five of the police boat crewmen into the waiting Princess. Three of them are wounded, one with a bullet in the shoulder, another with his left arm almost severed just above the elbow, the third with badly burned hands. (2 fire extinguishers emptied)

Meanwhile, the Queen steams after the Crocodile, gaining ever so slowly. Anders, anxious to contribute to the fight, lines up the distant crocodile in the Vasilek's sights. After shouting to the group forward to clear the way, he makes a couple of minute adjustments and cuts loose. The Vasilek bucks as an 82mm HE shell leaps away on its shallow arcing course towards the river monitor, nearly a kilometer-and-a-half downriver. A couple of seconds later, the river leaps in a column of spray just five meters off the Crocodile's port bow. The monitor swerves to starboard as it passes through the shower of cold Vistula water (and possibly shrapnel too). The round must have missed the monitor's bridge/HMG turrets by only a meter or so. It's a very good piece of shooting considering the range and movement of both firing platform and target. At the very least, the monitor's evasive manouvers will allow the bee-lining tug to gain a little more ground on it. (-1 82mm HE)

Konrad calls in a fifth correction and watches, disappointed, as the 120mm HE bomb kicks up another explosion 100m off target, this one landing well ahead of the monitor. The quarry vessel swerves to port in order to avoid passing through the spot where the mortar round landed. The heavy mortar crew is now down to only two HE bombs. It also has one smoke round, but even a direct hit from that would require additional luck in order to do any damage to the armored monitor.

The rest of the Kommandos can only look on as the chase continues. Thijs links the new belt of one hundred 12.7mm rounds to the remainder of the old one.


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.040324,0.132093


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:07, Sat 16 Feb 2013.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1146 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 16 Feb 2013
at 20:34
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Mariusz drew his pistol with his right hand and covered the prisoners whilst steering with his left. He kept his eye on the river but was ready for trouble should it happen as he guided the Princess toward the bank.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 754 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 16 Feb 2013
at 20:39
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet kept the Queen moving forward and she spoke into the intercom, "Engines, pressure check, how long can we keep this pace up?"
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 108 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Sat 16 Feb 2013
at 22:51
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
With the new belt linked to the old, Thijs had nothing to do now but continue to wait, scanning his area of responsibility.  The big Degtyarev remained trained to the front as he did so.

Thijs
Starboard DShK [150/200]
Still waiting, still watching

Craig Sutherland
 player, 626 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 17 Feb 2013
at 00:13
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

Craig wary of threats from the river bank did not stretch too far out in front of the protective gun shield, but he did hear the report of the latest mortar splash. It would seem it was just a matter of holding on until he was required to fire.

He eyes were again drawn to the water that in his mind was zooming past and then to the wheelhouse, he couldn't see anyone. Lastly he looked back to where they had dropped off the pilot boat.


Port DShK
Finger on the trigger
Anders Mattson
 player, 48 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sun 17 Feb 2013
at 08:46
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders lifted his head rom behind the sight. "That was close, but no cigar", he said. "But I suppose we need to wait to get a clearance to fire before the next one." He wasn't clearly happy about having to stand idle during a battle, but was clearlt going to wait for an order this time. He crouched behind the sight again, tracking the monitor through the optics, just in case the order to fire would come. There was still four rounds to fire before reloading.
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 30 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sun 17 Feb 2013
at 16:01
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Suppressing a sigh of relief, Connolly tosses the wet blanket atop her expended extinguisher, making a mental note to see both cans refilled as soon as she's back aboard the Queen.  "Nice job, Lieutenant," she concedes, favoring Carlisle with an approving nod.  "Now get the cav to make sure we aren't taking on water anywhere."

While Carlisle and the men from the 89th do a quick damage control inventory, the pilot moves to the helm and gives the wheel an experimental turn.  She's not about to try restarting the engine, but it would be good to not be entirely at the mercy of the current.  Having established whatever measure of rudder control is still available, she keys her borrowed radio.  "Sunray, Boots.  Boat is secured, five prisoners in custody."  She glances at the police boat's own radio.  "Be advised, enemy comms are set to four zero point two five megahertz."

Boots
fire extinguisher
AIMS-74 [30/30 + 4 magazines] - slung, on SAFE
M11 [13/13 + 2 magazines] - holstered, loaded but decocked

up creek, lacking paddle

Jan Cerny
 player, 1546 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 17 Feb 2013
at 23:47
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jan maintained his position in the bow, ready to engage if ordered.  If it wasn't for the occasional explosions and bullets whizzing around then it would almost be a pleasant cruise.  The weather would need to be better for it to be a truly enjoyable trip however.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1845 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 17 Feb 2013
at 23:55
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Scheiße..." Bayer mutters as he watches one of the mortar's last remaining rounds impact off target. The lack of reference points on the open water was making this both difficult and extremely frustrating. Keeping the binoculars raised, he looks to the shore for new features that might show up on his map, and could help narrow down the target's true location. Whether he finds any or not, Bayer uses the reticle pattern on the lenses to try to measure off the distance again before applying the data to the map held in his other hand. "Left fifty... drop fifty." he say to the link with the Russian mortar, but motions for him to wait before relaying the info. Remembering the round's flight time he measured, he pauses for a moment to give the monitor some travel distance, then says, "Now. Relay corrections and fire now."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:56, Sun 17 Feb 2013.

Minh Quyen
 player, 684 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 18 Feb 2013
at 01:03
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Quyen takes a long drag on her cigarrete as she listens to Jan but says nothing. She does however peek up over the side of the boat to view the crocodile before sitting back down out of the wind and any bullets that might suddenly come her way. "Slow motion battle." she eventually says of the lengthy chase and taking one last puff of the small amount of tobacco that was still there. Quyen then flicks her smoke over the side and into the river.

Quyen then glances over at Jan and asks "I guess the mortar and Dshks can wreck up those turrets and maybe the crocodile's armor. But not these PKMs. With the police boat gone now should we even bother to shoot? I'd rather save the ammo for when it counts."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1547 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 19 Feb 2013
at 23:08
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Minh Quyen:
Quyen then glances over at Jan and asks "I guess the mortar and Dshks can wreck up those turrets and maybe the crocodile's armor. But not these PKMs. With the police boat gone now should we even bother to shoot? I'd rather save the ammo for when it counts."

"I think that you are right," replied Jan as he ran through the various options in his mind.  "There is little we can do with the PKMs so we are best keeping quiet as we get closer and waiting for a better target.  If it comes to it there are another two rockets for Tuck's RPG in the weapons locker.  I do not think that an RPG will do much against that armour though.  The LAW might however."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2809 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 20 Feb 2013
at 00:12
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

Connolly tries the police boat's steering wheel and quickly determines that the rudder control mechanisms are no longer functioning- they must have been damaged by the fire. The boat, steam still pouring from the engine compartment, continues to drift, pulled along inexorably by the Vistula's strong and steady current. Without a tow or other external power source, the police boat will continue to drift. It also appears to be taking on water. One of the allied cavalrymen returns from a cramped forward compartment to report that the hull is holed in at least a couple of places, and the boat is steadily taking on water. The holes, however, are relatively small, so the vessel should remain afloat for at least another hour or so. The two remaining prisoners look on without offering any resistance. They simply stand, under guard, watching the passing landscape with some concern. One of them is stripped down to his undershirt; he hugs himself with bloodstained hands and shivers. The other man's face is stained black with soot, his red tinged eyes watering constantly.

The Princess, meanwhile, returns to shore, where the boat crew and its prisoners are met by a dozen helpful cavalrymen. They quickly remove their countrymen and take the prisoners into the treeline, leaving Jeff and Mariuz alone in the small boat.

The tug continues to follow the monitor. It seems a little closer now, but it's still at the edge of the Vasilek's direct fire range. Konrad's sixth round of adjustments fail to do the trick, and the second-to-last 120mm HE round explodes well off target yet again. The monitor, true to form, steers away from the blast, allowing the tug, still maintaining a direct intercept course, to gain a little more ground. Still, it will be some time before the Krolowa is close enough to engage the monitor with its main armament with a decent chance of achieving a successful hit. In response to Griet's inquiry, the engine room calls up to report that the boilers are at maximum capacity but that all propulsion systems appear to be functioning within safety parameters.

OOC: One bonus XP point for the first person to correctly calculate how long it will take the Krolowa to catch the Crocodile if the former is travelling at 20kmph and the latter is travelling at 15kph. They are currently about 1km apart.

Next Moves?
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 31 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Wed 20 Feb 2013
at 00:40
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Aviation," Connolly whimsically informs the cavalryman, "is the art of avoiding the edges of the sky.  Do you suppose sailors have a similar saying about seamanship?"  She flicks a sidelong glance at Carlisle.  "Don't bother translating that."

She watches the pursuit for a moment, mentally plotting vectors, and decides not to bother Konrad with another status update.  Regardless of how the battle turns out, someone will be along to pick her up well before the police boat sinks.  "Okay," she says, turning away from the stop-motion duel, "let's start prioritizing salvage."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:03, Wed 20 Feb 2013.

Daniel Larue
 player, 293 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Wed 20 Feb 2013
at 00:44
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Danny strolls up to Tuck's position, considers the monitor for a moment, and yawns.  "Tonight on Cops," he intones, "the Polish River Police take on the Soviet Mafia in the world's lowest-speed pursuit.  Whee-ooh!  Whee-ooh!  Pull over!"  He briefly waggles his penlight for a strobe, then puts it away and resumes scanning the riverbanks.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:04, Wed 20 Feb 2013.

Anders Mattson
 player, 49 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Wed 20 Feb 2013
at 11:52
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders kept an aim on the monitor, waiting for orders to fire. He would have liked to give it a shot, but the orders were to wait, so he waited. In his mind, he calculated the approximate range, the differences in the speed they were travelling. At the top speed, the Queen would overtake the monitor in about twelve minutes, unless he got to take a shot in order to slow the monitor down a bit.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:53, Wed 20 Feb 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 755 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 20 Feb 2013
at 16:25
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
As Griet calculated how long it would take to reach the Crocodile she put out a warning, "Stay alert,that KPV will make a mess of you long before we get close and personal and if they hit a gun we're screwed."

She spoke again to the Dushka gunners, "Boys, how do you feel about trying indirect fire with the beasts?"

She had worked on various ADA and machine guns when she was in Gdansk and she had seen heavy machine guns used in the indirect mode. The Dushkas could reach out and touch up to about 1500ms given their AT mounts and 12.7mm bullets raining from the sky might make the Crocodile's crew miserable.

She kept the Queen moving forward, wondering if the Crocodile was the one that had tried to eat the Elephant's child on the great, grey, greasy Limpopo river or teh one that hungered after Captain Hook's body.

"Tick-tock, tick-tock," she muttered to herself.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 521 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Wed 20 Feb 2013
at 17:55
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jay stayed quiet, focusing on the slow pursuit.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 627 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 20 Feb 2013
at 18:30
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Craig watched the second splash down from the mortar. He then took out his binoculars and scanned the monitor looking for exposed crew.

When Griet mentions the indirect fire Craig indicates he would like to at least try.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:28, Thu 21 Feb 2013.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1846 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 21 Feb 2013
at 05:28
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Bayer pauses for a moment, concerned about the last mortar round about to be dropped. Then deferring back to his binoculars, he measures the distance and direction from the most recent miss. "Correction..." he calls out yet again. "Right one hundred, add fifty." Make it count dammit...

Bayer
Making final adjust fire
Bridge

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 109 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Thu 21 Feb 2013
at 15:03
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet Niewiadomska:
She spoke again to the Dushka gunners, "Boys, how do you feel about trying indirect fire with the beasts?"

"I can give it a go," Thijs replied.  "Just let me know when, " he added, addressing both Griet and Konrad.

Thijs
Starboard DShK [150/200]
Elevating for indirect fire

Jan Cerny
 player, 1550 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 21 Feb 2013
at 18:40
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Daniel Larue:
Danny strolls up to Tuck's position, considers the monitor for a moment, and yawns.  "Tonight on Cops," he intones, "the Polish River Police take on the Soviet Mafia in the world's lowest-speed pursuit.  Whee-ooh!  Whee-ooh!  Pull over!"  He briefly waggles his penlight for a strobe, then puts it away and resumes scanning the riverbanks.

Jan looked at Danny with a confused smile.  He guessed that the American had made a joke of some kind but he didn't quite get it.  He smiled good naturedly though.

Griet Niewiadomska:
As Griet calculated how long it would take to reach the Crocodile she put out a warning, "Stay alert,that KPV will make a mess of you long before we get close and personal and if they hit a gun we're screwed."

After hearing this warning Jan called back to Griet.

"Griet.  Should we stay here on the bow or are we just targets?  Our PKMs will be ineffective and we will need to be much closer for the AT weapons to be worth firing.  Do you want us here?"

He would stay if ordered but there seemed to be little reason at present.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 756 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 21 Feb 2013
at 18:43
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Get into cover," Griet replied to Jan, "those PKs are Brussels without soft targets. Get the superstructure between you and the Crocodile."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1552 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 21 Feb 2013
at 19:00
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet Niewiadomska:
"Get into cover," Griet replied to Jan, "those PKs are Brussels without soft targets. Get the superstructure between you and the Crocodile."

Jan nodded in agreement as he stood up and started gathering all the gear he had with him together.

"Ok, you heard the orders," he said to Tuck, Minh and Danny.  "Let us get into cover."

He then staggered back towards the rear of the boat, setting himself up again in the aft fighting position that Craig had constructed.  He started by setting up the PKM in the position he had removed it from and then found a comfortable position to sit down.  There seemed to be time so he followed Minh's lead and lit up a cigarette.
Daniel Larue
 player, 294 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Thu 21 Feb 2013
at 22:39
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Yep," Danny confirms, "everyone to the back of the bus."  He follows Jan, avoiding the mounds of now half-frozen horse dung littering the aft deck.

"Jeez, we gotta find a VCR around here," he complains to Tuck and Minh, settling himself on a coil of rope and balancing Winona across a knee.  "We're miserable failures as cultural imperialists.  Jan does't know Cops and the only American television Konrad's ever seen is Baywatch."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:19, Fri 22 Feb 2013.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2810 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 21 Feb 2013
at 23:24
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

The Crocodile has slowed considerably in the last several minutes. White smoke or steam is leaking from the vicinity of its slab-sided stern, near where the converted landing craft's steering and propulsion systems should be located. As the seventh and final 120mm HE mortar bomb splashes down*, about 40m aft of the monitor, it lengthens its course once again, angling slightly to port and conceding more ground to the faster river tug. At this point, several minutes into the chase, the range between the two boats has closed to about 700m. As the curtain of water that briefly separated the rival vessels descends, the monitor fights back, testing the range with its top-mounted KPV. The small autocannon hammers out several rounds, most of which splash down short of the Krolowa's stubby bow. One round finds its mark, shredding one of the bumper tires and clanging off the hull. Fortunately for the Krolowa and her crew, the impact area is by far the thickest, sturdiest part of the tug, and it is unlikely that the 14.5mm round penetrated. Furthermore, those Kommando's not tasked with manning the heavy-hitting and long-armed Vasilek had just moved aft, putting a good deal of the bulk of the tug's superstructure between themselves and the monitor's KPV. LaRue scans the banks, looking for any sign of an enemy landing party. He doesn't see anything that confirms his suspicions.

The Crocodile is now within the Vasilek's effective direct fire range (long range, rules-wise). It's unclear what a hit from an 82mm HE round will do to the monitor's armored hide, but the Vasilek also has a few HEDP rounds which should be more effective. At the same time, the tug is clearly within the extreme range of the Crocodile's KPV, and the Vasilek's gunshield won't be able to turn away 14.5mm rounds. At the moment, at least, the Vasilek has the advantage. Once the tug closes another 100-200m, though, the KPV's fire will become considerably more dangerous.

*The mortar crew still has one 120mm WP and one smoke left.

Meanwhile, Connolly, Carlisle, and the three cavalrymen from the 89th survey the drifting police boat. The crew aparently tossed their second PKM overboard (Thijs destroyed the other with a direct hit from a 12.7mm round) shortly after their surrender but they didn't have a chance to do the same with the spare ammo for it- it contains about 80 rounds. Likewise, the forward-mounted AGS-17 Plamya is still in place. Unfortunately, there's only six 30mm HE rounds in the current belt and no more to be found. Connolly rummages throught the small bridge where she finds a flare gun with a couple of [non-parachute] signal flares, a couple of maps, and a nice pair of Red Fleet binnoculars. Carlisle finds a few basic mechanic's tools, but nothing that they Krolowa's crew doesn't already have. Connolly notices that the deck of the police boat seems to be listing slightly to starboard, and the boat itself also appears to be moving slowly in that direction, as if it's being gently pulled at by the eastern shore. This is consistent with the puncture wounds one of the cavalrymen reported finding in the police boat's starboard hull just below the waterline.

At the riverside, a couple of helpful cavalrymen push the Princess back into the Vistula; Mariusz and Warren [both NPC'ed] take off after the drifting police boat.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:19, Fri 22 Feb 2013.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 32 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 02:31
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Connolly doffs her helmet, clipping it to her web gear with its chin strap, and vigorously ruffles her hair to let the sweat dry.  "Gah," she observes to no one in particular, then strides over to covetously examine the AGS-17, keeping her hands well clear of the trigger.  "Nice.  This'll replace the one we lost at the last town," she comments to Carlisle.

She tucks the flare gun and flares into a utility pouch and vacillates between the maps and the binoculars for a moment.  The ripple of fire from the KPV solidifies her decision.  "See if there's anything useful on here," she says, passing the maps to Carlisle.  "Get the cav guys to take a look, too - they know the area better than we do."  She raises the binoculars and focuses on the monitor.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:37, Fri 22 Feb 2013.

Anders Mattson
 player, 52 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 07:22
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders looked up towards the bridge for a command to fire. He had a decent solution on the enemy and the ballistics pretty much figured out - now he only needed an order to fire and he could start pounding away at the monitor. It would be HE for now, but HEDP rounds would be there, readied for the shot if the HE didn't seem to do much.

Manning Vasilek, gunner
Waiting for the order to open fire
4/5 rounds 82mm HE

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1847 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 10:16
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Dammit." Bayer hisses quietly to himself. "Left twenty-five add fifty!" he shouts immediately afterward to the man relaying the adjustment. "Drop that WP."

Bayer then leans over the railing and with the Russian ammo exhausted, yells, "Anders! Jay! You're clear to fire. Slow rate... try one round."

Bayer will then move back inside the wheelhouse.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 10:17, Fri 22 Feb 2013.

Anders Mattson
 player, 53 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 12:28
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
With the order from the bridge, Anders leaned in to look through the sights, took a careful aim, pulled the lanyard and the Vasilek bellowed once, sending a round on a nice elliptic trajectory towards the monitor. He watched the round in the air and a few seconds later, it impacted.

14:26, Today: Anders Mattson rolled 4 using 1d20. Vasilek, 82mmHE, direct fire, long range. - Ladies and gentleman, that should be a hit!
Jan Cerny
 player, 1553 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 17:57
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Daniel Larue:
"Jeez, we gotta find a VCR around here," he complains to Tuck and Minh, settling himself on a coil of rope and balancing Winona across a knee.  "We're miserable failures as cultural imperialists.  Jan does't know Cops and the only American television Konrad's ever seen is Baywatch."

Jan grinned at a wonderful mental image.

"Baywatch I know.  There is a very good reason to watch it.  Or rather a pair of very good reasons to watch it as a British Legionnaire called Miller always said to me.  He even had a tattoo of the main woman, the big one."

He scratched at his ear before continuing.  "French women are more chic though.  French women you take home to your mother.  Women from Baywatch you keep in the bedroom!"
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1148 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 18:10
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Mariusz waved at the cavalrymen as he headed back toward the sinking boat. He aimed the prow so that he would come alongside the stricken boat.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 757 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 18:12
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet kept the Queen heading forward. As she did she looked over at Konrad and said, "Do you want to order the Dushka's to attempt indirect fire? They can't bring directly to bear but we could see if they have the range and then alter our strategy to suit."
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 522 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Fri 22 Feb 2013
at 21:09
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jay ducked instinctively as the rounds from the KPV landed, spraying drops of water across his face. Big cannons were fun to shoot, but not much fun when you were on the receiving end.

Hearing Konrad's shouted order he kicked into action, following Anders' lead. He did his job and watched as the first round arced high into the air towards the monitor.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2811 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 24 Feb 2013
at 00:07
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

The KPV roared again, sending another burst towards the Krolowa. The rounds walk their way towards the tug's nose, the final projectile striking near the waterline. Anders and Jay, adjusting aim on the Vasilek, are sprayed with cold water. They are undeterred. With the large gunboat in their sights, Anders triggers the firing mechanism and the Vasilek coughs out another 82mm HE shell. The two seconds between firing and impact are pregnant with nervous anticipation. Payoff! The round strikes high on the superstructure, behind the KPV turret, exploding with a resounding CLANG-BOOM in a bright burst of sparking shrapnel. There's no immediate secondary explosion or smoke, other than the greyish-white cloud of the round's spent explosive, suggesting that the mortar bomb didn't penetrate the monitor's bridge armor. Anyone inside, however, must certainly be stunned, at least temporarily, by the impact and explosion. Subsequent events make it hard to tell how much damage the hit from the Vasilek caused. (-82mm HE)

In frustration, and a little bit of desperation, Konrad radios another set of corrections to the cavalry's 120mm mortar team, ordering them to fire their last WP round (leaving the 120mm mortar only one colored smoke) at the fleeing monitor. Seconds pass, during which the monitor fires its second burst at the tug and is struck in turn by the Vasilek crew's second shot. A thick white cloud appears on the tug's hull forward, spewing glowing tendrils in all directions. In an instant, the tug is enveloped in a milky miasma of phosphorous smoke. It's blunt bow emerges a few seconds later, steadily bearing to port until it's pointing directly at the western shore. Still trailing a haze of white, its course steadies; it doesn't appear to have slowed much, if at all. It's bearing down on the riverbank at about 10kph. A few patches of flames glow behind the phosphorous shroud as externally stored gear burns. The monitor is now baring its port side at the oncoming tug, which has closed to within 400m or so. The Crocodile's port HMG has not yet returned to life.

Thijs and Craig again await their turns to contribute once more to the fight. If the tug continues on its current course, the portside Dishka should be able to engange the monitor in the next few seconds [i.e. this round]. If the Krolowa turns to bear towards the wounded Crocodile, it will take a bit longer. The starboard Dishka won't be able to fire at the monitor until the distance is much shorter. At the moment, the monitor presents a tempting target to the Vasilek.

Meanwhile, the Princess returns to the drifting police boat, nosing up alongside it. Carlisle and Connolly prepare the captured AGS-17 and PKM ammo for loading aboard the small boat. It can still safely take four or five passengers, in addition to the war booty. More than that is possible, but risky. The police boat continues to bear slightly to starboard, and its list increases. It may not have as much time afloat as first estimated.


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.040317,0.132093


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:15, Sun 24 Feb 2013.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 628 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sun 24 Feb 2013
at 01:20
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

Seeing the battle unfolding before him Craig let his binoculars fall to his chest as he watched first the hit from their own mortar and then the subsequent hit from the 120mm. He suspected there was a third hit from the Tugs Vasilek, but he was unable to register it through the gloom. In the back of his mind he suspected there was very limited air in the monitor at the moment and it would rapidly be replaced with the smoke from the mortar hit.

He watched as the monitor began to arc towards the bank giving him the chance to engage with the DShK. He began firing short controlled bursts towards the turrets  concentrating his fire on the 76mm first.

Craig Sutherland
Firing on 76mm Turret/orange>

<orange>Port DShK

This message was last edited by the player at 03:59, Sun 24 Feb 2013.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 111 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Sun 24 Feb 2013
at 01:49
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Once again unable to engage due to the Degtyarev's limited firing arc, Thijs scanned the right bank, hoping to spot any unpleasant surprises before they became really unpleasant.
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 33 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sun 24 Feb 2013
at 03:36
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Connolly lowers the binoculars and blinks away afterimages from the white phosphorus.  "Sucks to be you," she mutters unsympathetically to the distant crew of the monitor.

Her reverie is interrupted by Mariusz and Warren drawing alongside.  She eyes the Princess and considers her commitment to the laws of land warfare that don't seem to apply any longer.  With a sigh, she gives in to her conscience.  "Lieutenant, prisoners and cav go first.  You and I are on the next trip."  She reclaims the salvaged maps from Carlisle and tucks them into her web gear's utility pouch.  She unslings her Kalashnikov and sets it on the deck, then shrugs out of her harness and passes the whole ensemble - including her helmet and Larue's radio - to Warren.  "Mister Filipov, you're in charge of our intel take until I'm off this boat."  She unfastens her body armor and drops it into the Princess.  "Mariusz, Larue really doesn't want me doing another swim.  I don't want another lecture from him, so do please hurry back."

Boots
AIMS-74 [30/30] - slung, on SAFE

doing the right, and possibly stupid, thing

This message was last edited by the player at 04:15, Sun 24 Feb 2013.

Daniel Larue
 player, 295 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 24 Feb 2013
at 03:50
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Danny moans and buries his face in his hands.  "Aw, Jan.  Why is it always Baywatch?  I go to Japan, they love Baywatch.  I talk to Germans, they love Baywatch.  Now I find out France loves Baywatch.  Why can't anyone appreciate Miami Vice or The Simpsons or American Gladiators?  And that Stargate show looked like it was gonna be--" his head jerks up as another KPV round clangs into the bow.  "Shit.  I'm gonna go check that out."  He stands up and slings Winona.  "Don't let me forget, I wanna hear more about French women."  He ducks belowdecks, heading toward the cable and paint lockers to check the inner hull for damage.

Danny
Winona [30/30 + 5 magazines] - slung, on SAFE
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

doing that damage control thing

This message was lightly edited by the player at 03:51, Sun 24 Feb 2013.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 524 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sun 24 Feb 2013
at 08:30
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jay smiled with grim satisfaction. Anders' aim had been true, and they seemed to have scored a good hit on their opponent. He prepared himself for further instructions from his gun commander, anticipating that they would shortly be following it up with another volley.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1149 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 24 Feb 2013
at 09:12
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"I'll be back as soon as I can," Mariusz said earnestly.

He headed the Princess back to shore whilst being careful to nurse the engine and keep an eye on the prisoners.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 758 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 24 Feb 2013
at 09:16
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet watched the Crocodile's course and kept the Queen on her own bearing, she looked over at Bayer and said, "The monitor may be carrying some Marines, I suggest we keep pouring in fire for a while yet. I hate the thought of wrecking those weapons but we need to be sure that they can't harm us before we think if salvage. This bearing will allow one Dushka to fire and then when we think she's incapacitated I'll change course. Unless of course you think otherwise."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1848 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Sun 24 Feb 2013
at 11:37
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Bayer leans out of the wheelhouse and shouts down to the gun crew while pointing at the gunboat, "Jay! Load armor piercing rounds dammit!"

He then steps back inside and says in turn to Griet, "Ja okay."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 759 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 24 Feb 2013
at 12:22
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet kept her bearing to allow the Dushka to fire and used the intercom to ask the Vasilesk, "Guns, do you want me to hold her steady before you fire?"

If the answer was yes, she would use the thrusters to hold the Queen in position until after the mortar had fired. If no, she would hold her course.
Anders Mattson
 player, 54 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sun 24 Feb 2013
at 16:54
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Unload", the Finn barked as a command to his loader. "Reload with Dual Purpose!" He was already aiming, but kept his hand off the trigger just to make sure, he would not try to fire Jay's arm at the monitor. It had been a nice hit and quite certainly made the ears ring for everyone inside. If the fire was going to be as accurate as the last shot, the crew of the monitor would have a lot more to worry about than just the ringing ears.

"Reloading Dual Purpose, will inform when ready to fire", he said in to the intercom. As long as the boat didn't take any sudden turns while he was about to pull the lanyard, it was okay.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 525 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sun 24 Feb 2013
at 18:12
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jay moved into action, swapping the rounds as requested. He quickly loaded up the new ammunition and signalled to Anders that it was ready to fire.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1555 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 24 Feb 2013
at 20:13
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Daniel Larue:
Danny moans and buries his face in his hands.  "Aw, Jan.  Why is it always Baywatch?  I go to Japan, they love Baywatch.  I talk to Germans, they love Baywatch.  Now I find out France loves Baywatch.  Why can't anyone appreciate Miami Vice or The Simpsons or American Gladiators?  And that Stargate show looked like it was gonna be--" his head jerks up as another KPV round clangs into the bow.  "Shit.  I'm gonna go check that out."  He stands up and slings Winona.  "Don't let me forget, I wanna hear more about French women."  He ducks belowdecks, heading toward the cable and paint lockers to check the inner hull for damage.

As Danny rushed off Jan called after him. "Miami Vice and Gladiators are both good for the same reason as Baywatch!"

He then turned and called over to Tuck and Minh. "The Queen is going to get hit while we catch up.  I am going to find a fire extinguisher in case we need to do stop some fires."

He then left the PKM in the aft fighting position and made his way inside to find a fire extinguisher, intending on attempting damage control, just in case it was needed.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1499 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 25 Feb 2013
at 00:50
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jan Cerny:
Daniel Larue:
Danny moans and buries his face in his hands.  "Aw, Jan.  Why is it always Baywatch?  I go to Japan, they love Baywatch.  I talk to Germans, they love Baywatch.  Now I find out France loves Baywatch.  Why can't anyone appreciate Miami Vice or The Simpsons or American Gladiators?  And that Stargate show looked like it was gonna be--" his head jerks up as another KPV round clangs into the bow.  "Shit.  I'm gonna go check that out."  He stands up and slings Winona.  "Don't let me forget, I wanna hear more about French women."  He ducks belowdecks, heading toward the cable and paint lockers to check the inner hull for damage.

As Danny rushed off Jan called after him. "Miami Vice and Gladiators are both good for the same reason as Baywatch!"

He then turned and called over to Tuck and Minh. "The Queen is going to get hit while we catch up.  I am going to find a fire extinguisher in case we need to do stop some fires."

He then left the PKM in the aft fighting position and made his way inside to find a fire extinguisher, intending on attempting damage control, just in case it was needed.

Tucker smiles, "Cops was always good but, Miami Vice was the shit back in the day!  Great T&A in Baywatch."  Tucker trails off for a second and then comes back to the moment when Jan brings up that the Queen is going to be hit by the Monitor as they close the gap between the two boats.  "I'll go with you Jan to see what we may be able to use.  Hold our spots MP," Robert says to Minh as he heads off with Jan to find what they may need in case of damage control is needed or the fire brigade.
Minh Quyen
 player, 685 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Mon 25 Feb 2013
at 12:54
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Quyen places the PKM down on the deck at the back of the Queen and leans against the railing. She listens to the others talk of television shows but has blank expression on her face most of the time. She knew of the shows but not enough to join in or get some of the jokes. Then seeing Jan light up a cigarrete for himself is enough peer pressure for her to do the same again. She still has many more smokes in her pack anyways.

Quyen then nods to Robert as they leave to grab some fire fighting equipment. While they are gone she will stay leaning against the rear railing until her smoke is gone. She will then collect her PKM again and be ready for any call to action (to fight or damage control).

This message was last edited by the player at 12:54, Mon 25 Feb 2013.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2814 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 26 Feb 2013
at 00:46
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

The dazed Crocodile continues on its collision course with the western shore. Its foward motion and the action of the breeze blowing along the river have conspired to remove much of the initial phosphorous smoke cloud, but a thin white haze continues to hover over the vessel like a gossamer shroud. Burning particles scattered about the monitor continue to smoulder, and grey smoke pours from amidships* as if the crew within are feeding a good-sized hearthfire in what used to be the troop compartment. Packs, camoflage netting, rope- anything flamable- is fully ablaze. None of the vessels several guns have responded since the twin mortar strikes. The port and starboard Dishka positions appear to consist of open-topped tubs turrets- it's likely the gunners were driven away by the burning phosphorous fragments, if not killed outright by the fiery shower. The aft KPV turret is close to where the 82mm HE shell hit- the gunner was likely shaken up somewhat by his proximity to the blast.

Craig takes advantage of the monitor's inactivity by firing off a couple of five-round bursts from the portside Dishka. Despite the diminishing distance between the two vessels, Craig has some difficulty getting rounds on target. One of the outgoing tracers strikes the hull low, beneath where the main gun turret is situated, but most of the rest of the rounds miss low, churning up the surface of the Vistula short of the target. (-10 rounds 12.7mm)

Jay completes the reloading of the Vasilek with a new clip of HEDP shells. Anders tracks the monitor through the automortar's sights. As he looks on, the smoking monitor starts a lazy looping turn to starboard. Simultaneously, the KPV turret starts to turn in the opposite direction, the  portruding gun barrel swinging back towards the onrushing River Queen. The range between the adversaries is now about 300m. (map to come)

Meanwhile, the remaining prisoners and the three friendly cavalrymen abandon the police boat, loading aboard the waiting River Princess. This leaves Connolly and Carlisle to man the slowly sinking vessel (the PKM ammo and the AGS-17 also remain on board). As long as Mariusz and Jeff are quick about it, the police boat should remain afloat until they return for a final lift.


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.040324,0.132093


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:05, Wed 27 Feb 2013.

Anders Mattson
 player, 58 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Tue 26 Feb 2013
at 07:38
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders took a careful aim at the monitor, hoping in his mind the next round would take out the KPV because if it didn't, there might not be a chance to fire the next shot before the 14.5mm slugs begun coming through the gunshield. He wasn't afraid to die - those days were already over, but he didn't really want to even think about getting hit by that monstrous round. "Firing", he bellowed, the last syllable drowning in to the crash of the Vasilek again.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1150 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 26 Feb 2013
at 16:21
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Mariusz dropped the Russians and prisoners off and then headed back once more. He watched the Queen as it closed with the Crocodile. The opportunity to cripple the boat whilst it was helpless seemed to be gone. He hoped that the Queen wouldn't get bitten in the ass by the crocodile.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 761 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 26 Feb 2013
at 16:24
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet kept the tug churning up the river toward the Crocodile. They needed to stop the beast dead before its guns turned them into confetti. She gritted her teeth and kept moving forward.
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 113 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Tue 26 Feb 2013
at 21:09
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
There was nothing Thijs could do but wait, and keep scanning the right bank of the river.
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 34 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Tue 26 Feb 2013
at 23:31
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Connolly drags the two empty fire extinguishers over to the AGS-17 and the ammo cans to ensure they won't be left behind.  She scowls at the scorched and empty deck. "Hey, Carlisle, you see anything else worth taking?" she asks, more to keep the lieutenant busy than out of hope of any additional salvage.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 630 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 27 Feb 2013
at 00:01
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

Craig continued to fire the large machine gun towards the monitor. He now concentrated his fire on the moving turret and the potential it had to cripple the tug. He tried to use the previous bursts as a gauge for more accurate fire, walking the bursts towards the turret.

He could feel he was starting to sweet either from the strength required to manoeuvre the large gun or the stress of looking at the barrel of his potential destruction.

Port Side of the Tug
Firing on turret KPV

Port DShK
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1501 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 27 Feb 2013
at 02:09
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Hey, shoudln't we get ready to board this fuckin' boat?" Tuck says to Jan and Minh as they got the fire brigade gear ready at their location.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1557 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 28 Feb 2013
at 00:01
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"That is a very good point!" Jan replied to Tuck.  "You tell Konrad what we are doing and I will get us some extra grenades."

Jan then headed off to the weapons locker to grab some extra frag grenades.
Daniel Larue
 player, 296 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Thu 28 Feb 2013
at 00:05
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Danny, finding no damage, emerges from belowdecks in time to hear Tuck and Jan's last exchange.  "Uh, dude?" he asks Tuck, "White phosphorus, fuel, and cannon shells?  Are you sure you wanna get your pirate on right now?"

This message was last edited by the player at 00:06, Thu 28 Feb 2013.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2815 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 28 Feb 2013
at 00:37
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

With the KPV searching for the Queen, Anders and Jay strike first, placing an HEDP round against the monitor's superstructure. It explodes in a tight orange fireball about a meter below the lower rim of the KPV turret. At nearly the same time, Craig manages to hit the KPV turret with at least a couple of rounds of 12.7mm. This one-two punch effectively knocks the KPV out of the fight. Dark grey smoke rushes out of the fresh 82mm wound and any other nearby orifices. Periodic flashes, pulses of smoke, and a hollow popping sounds coming from just behind the strike zone suggest small secondary explosions within the monitor's aft superstructure. The Crocodile is also still emitting thick grey smoke from the impact site of the 120mm WP round. By now, most of the flammable items stored on the monitor's topsides have burned away. (-1 82mm HEDP; -10 rounds 12.7mm)

The Crocodile is still headed towards the west bank, albeit at a much shallower angle. If it maintains this course for much longer, it will most likely run aground soon. In fact, it's possible that this is its crew's intention.

Mariusz and Warren return to the police boat to pick up Connolly, Carlisle and their war booty. The transfer is effected successfully, the the Princess shoves off, leaving the police boat to the whims of the Vistula.


Next Moves?
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 35 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Thu 28 Feb 2013
at 00:52
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Connolly clambers aboard the Princess and reclaims the rest of her gear.  She considers flipping the bird to the icy water but decides not to tempt fate.  "Sunray, Boots, mission accomplished," she advises Konrad over the radio.  "You want us to rejoin or link up with the cav and start the interrogations?"  She gives Warren a sidelong glance to gauge his reaction.

Boots
AIMS-74 [30/30 + 4 magazines] - slung, on SAFE
M11 [13/13 + 2 magazines] - holstered, loaded but decocked

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1502 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Thu 28 Feb 2013
at 01:16
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Daniel Larue:
Danny, finding no damage, emerges from belowdecks in time to hear Tuck and Jan's last exchange.  "Uh, dude?" he asks Tuck, "White phosphorus, fuel, and cannon shells?  Are you sure you wanna get your pirate on right now?"

Robert smiles at Danny, "Never said it was a good idea matey!  Arggghhh!"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 762 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 28 Feb 2013
at 16:14
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Good shooting, Guns," Griet said.

She looked over at Bayer and asked, "Do you want me to ask for surrender?"
Anders Mattson
 player, 59 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Thu 28 Feb 2013
at 16:29
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders looked at the monitor. He could recognize the secondary explosions as ammunition cooking off and reached for the intercom. "Bridge, you want another round or we wait", he said in his funny sounding English. If it was up to him, he would not shoot just yet - the monitor was clearly badly damaged and with the ammo cooking off, it might just get beyond the boiling point and blow up. He had seen it happen, when Karjala fought a Soviet frigate early in the war - they had managed to get a 120mm shell right through the enemy hull in to the forward magazine and for a moment there had been rather spectacular fireworks.

Manning the Vasilek, Gunner
82m HEDP 4/5 rounds
Aiming at the Monitor, holding fire

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 763 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 28 Feb 2013
at 16:34
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Wait one but if you see anything suspicious, fire," Griet replied, "I'll ask the Kaptain if he wants us to call for surrender."
Anders Mattson
 player, 60 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Thu 28 Feb 2013
at 16:38
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Acknowledged", was the reply. He was going to keep a close eye on the target and kept his hand on the lanyard.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1849 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 28 Feb 2013
at 16:51
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Bayer raises his binoculars towards the monitor and assesses the damages. He hoped it's no longer in any condition to fight. Then glancing over at Griet, he says, "Okay, hail them and see if they will surrender." Bayer then returns his gaze to the smoldering crocodile and adds, "If possible... tell them they can go free if they don't try to destroy or throw anything overboard. We don't want prisoners, we want what's on that boat."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 764 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 28 Feb 2013
at 17:06
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Hailing the Crocodile!" Griet said over the loudspeaker, "you are to heave to and surrender immediately. Non-compliance will result in immediate commencement of hostilities. If you give up now and prevent further damage to the craft we will ensure your safe passage to freedom. Any other option will result in your choice. Comply and live to go free, play hero and die a painful death. Tour choice."
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 114 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Thu 28 Feb 2013
at 18:15
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Thijs continued scanning the north bank.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 631 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 1 Mar 2013
at 23:16
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

Holding his fire to wait for any response from the monitor, Craig shifted his point of aim to the other turret of the main gun. He surveyed the damage done and thought to himself that the last couple of hits had been solid. His own contribution of fire seemed to have had a small effect and his hoped the KPV was now out of the mix.

Staying low and behind the gun shield Craig would fire on any aggressive moves by the monitor or it crew. If the machine guns where re-manned he would fire on them.

Port DShK 12.7mmB
Watching monitor for threats

This message was last edited by the player at 23:17, Fri 01 Mar 2013.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1558 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 2 Mar 2013
at 00:30
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
In reply to Robert 'Tuck' Tucker (msg # 402):

"OK.  That is a good point," commented Jan, unsure what they should do.
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 37 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sat 2 Mar 2013
at 01:10
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Connolly frowns as Griet's attenuated ultimatum rolls across the water.  "I have no idea what she said," she growls.  "Was that Russian?  I have to learn Russian.  Mariusz, put us on the beach, please.  We'll link up with the cav and see what we can get out of the prisoners."
Daniel Larue
 player, 297 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sat 2 Mar 2013
at 01:14
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Danny flicks Jan a relieved expression.  "Yeah.  Look, if you really wanna go over the rail, at least mask up.  There's nothing I can do for you if you breathe too much of that shit."  He glances up at the torrent of Russian emerging from the speakers.  "Hey, what'd she just say?"

This message was last edited by the player at 01:17, Sat 02 Mar 2013.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1151 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 2 Mar 2013
at 09:27
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Mariusz pointed the Princess toward the beach and said, "She's telling them to stop and surrender. She's suggested that if they leave the craft intact they'll be let free but if they try to scuttle it they'll be killed."
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 38 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sat 2 Mar 2013
at 12:49
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"If it doesn't burn to the waterline," Connolly responds, eyeing the monitor and its shroud of smoke.  "You think we can do any good by backing them up on shore?"

How did he hear that? she adds silently to herself, then answers the question.  You're getting old, honey, and ten years of turbines didn't help.
Minh Quyen
 player, 686 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sat 2 Mar 2013
at 16:29
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Quyen waits at the rear of the tug until they are called up for damage control or to deal with the monitor. The PKM at her feet wasn't ideal for either job so she glances down and double checks the pisol strapped to her side.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2816 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 2 Mar 2013
at 16:44
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

Hemoraging smoke of various hues from a half dozen wounds, some deep, some superficial, the wounded Crocodile continues its glancing collision course with the west bank. The tug doesn't flirt as closely with the shallows at it continues to follow its battered quarry at a respectful distance of about 300m. Normally, a landing craft like the one on which the Crocodile is based has a very shallow draft. However, burdened with armor and heavy weapons, this one sits much lower in the water. In all likelihood, she won't be able to reach the riverbank before running aground in the shallows.

The chase continues for a couple more minutes until the Crocodile motors into a mudbank, grinding to a dead stop about 20m short of the west bank. It sits roughly parallel with the shore, aground and on fire. 14.5mm rounds continue to cook off inside the KPV turret, reminding the Americans on board the Krolowa of jiffy-pop on a hot stove top. White and grey smoke leaks from several openings in the superstructure. Slowly thinning grey smoke is still seeping from the jagged puncture wound in the sheet metal covering the troop compartment between the main gun turret and the superstructure where the 120mm WP bomb landed. The heads of a few Crocodile crewmen emerge hesitantly from a couple of openings in the superstructure to survey the situation. At nearly the same time, the hatch atop the PT-76 turret mounted amidships opens with a clang, emitting yet another puff of thin white smoke. A single crewmen climbs out and squats on top the turret where he appears to consider leaping into the chilly river between the stranded monitor and the west bank for a few seconds. He looks back at the approaching Queen and sheepishly raises his hands slightly above his ears. The monitor crew appears to have given up the fight.

The Queen has a hoses and pumps that can be used to fight fires (or repel boarders). They can project water about 20m in a thick but weak streams. It'll take some doing, but a skillful helsman (or woman) should be able to bring the tug safely along the monitor to within effective firefighting range.

The Princess is more than a kilometer-and-a-half from the tug. She can either proceed to shore to drop off the captured AGS and PK ammo, lightening its load but delaying its return by a few minutes, or it can head towards its mothership directly. (+1 AGS-17 AGL; +6 rounds 30mm HE; +81 rounds 7.62mmR )

The abandoned police boat continues to drift along with the Visltula's insistent current. It's starting to turn so that the hull is roughly perpendicular to the course of the river, but it's staying more or less in the middle of the channel. Lightened of its load, it will probably stay afloat longer. Perhaps it could even reach Torun. Perhaps the two horses that fell from the raft the previous afternoon tipped off the Torun scouts to the 89th's river crossing operation.


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps?l...187&t=h&z=13


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:10, Sat 02 Mar 2013.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 115 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Sat 2 Mar 2013
at 16:53
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
SSDT

This message was last edited by the player at 16:57, Sat 02 Mar 2013.

Anders Mattson
 player, 61 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 2 Mar 2013
at 17:55
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders watched the sad sight of a ship being burned from within. If they wanted to save the monitor or anything in it, they'd need to work fast and even then it would be dangerous as any KPV round cooking off had the chance of hitting the 76mm rounds and cooking them off in the process, which would be a spontaneous yet highly spectacular explosion at the worst. He felt sorry for the crew of the monitor, but it reminded him of that immortal line of alikersantti (equivalent to corporal) Rokka in the book and movie Tuntematon sotilas (The Unknown Soldier) that had been the iconic spectacle on the TV every Finnish Independence Day. It translated to somewhat 'war is playing mischief on both sides'.

He activated the intercom. "Bridge, Main Gun. If we want salvage, we need to put out fire. I have knowledge on shipboard fires, training for them. You have firefighting gear? Over." It was his English or rather, the lack of skill in it that caused the exact meaning of firefighting gear not to be explained, but he would probably have specified it in detail if asked. He also wanted to keep the intercom free of needless chatter, so more urgent messages could be passed if necessary.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 765 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 2 Mar 2013
at 20:07
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Roger that guns," Griet replied, "all hands except the Dushka gunners fall in for damage control."

She started to head the Queen toward the Crocodile and she kept a careful lookout for snags and sandbanks as she closed in on the monitor.
Anders Mattson
 player, 62 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 2 Mar 2013
at 20:11
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders was not familiar with the boat yet, so he decided to follow Jay to the damage control gear. He was hoping, they'd have at least a couple fireman's suits aboard - they were very much important in dealing with the heat of a fire inside a metal vessel and he was hoping for a fireman's helmet and a mask as well, even though the probability of having such gear was slim.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 527 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sat 2 Mar 2013
at 20:52
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jay nodded to his gun commander and grabbed his rifle. He moved away from the gun emplacement, heading towards the store where the firefighting equipment was held. He had only received a basic orientation in the equipment and its use, but he was a willing learner...
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1152 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sat 2 Mar 2013
at 21:44
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Do you want me to head for shore or follow the Queen?" Mariusz asked. Following whatever order was issued.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 632 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 2 Mar 2013
at 22:28
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen


Craig continued to watch the monitor from the relative safety of behind the gun shield. At least with the landing craft stuck and off the river bank they won't escape without a cold swim.
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 39 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sun 3 Mar 2013
at 13:03
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Mariusz Tokarski:
"Do you want me to head for shore or follow the Queen?" Mariusz asked. Following whatever order was issued.


"Follow the Queen," Connolly determines.  "They're going to need this boat for salvage and boarding."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1559 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 3 Mar 2013
at 22:33
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet Niewiadomska:
Griet replied, "all hands except the Dushka gunners fall in for damage control."

Jan made his way to the rear deck of the Queen and waited for instructions regarding damage control.  He still had his rifle with him in case there were prisoners who needed to be supervised or the monitor needed clearing.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1850 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 5 Mar 2013
at 10:02
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Bayer exited the wheelhouse and stood outside where he could observe and provide cover fire for the damage control team. He then looks over his shoulder and nods to Griet, letting her know to take over and do what needs to be done.
Anders Mattson
 player, 64 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Tue 5 Mar 2013
at 10:12
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders walked on to the rear deck. "You have thick coats, non-synthetic? Wool would be best", he asked. He wasn't sure of the equipment they had aboard, but going for the monitor without proper equipment, especially going inside it, would be very likely lethal. "Do you have hoses? Breathing aparatus?" They were all good questions. As a mariner, he had been trained for shipboard fires and this was one of those situations his training really paid off.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2817 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 7 Mar 2013
at 00:21
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

The Crocodile is dead. Kellerman and Gryzch made the official pronouncement following a thorough autopsy performed in the wake of the Krolowa's successful damage control efforts. The near miss from one of the 120mm HE shells split busted welds in the monitor's bows, both above and below the waterline. A 23mm hit below the waterline aft caused the partial flooding of the engine compartment. Last, but not least, the interior of the KPV turret is a charred mess, the weapon itself destroyed by multiple secondary explosions. The exploding ammunition also wreaked havoc in the superstructure. And then there's the extensive burn damage caused by the bursting 120mm WP bomb- a good deal of the Crocodile's formerly green hide is either singed black, or the paint has burned completely away to expose bare metal. Most of the damage is superficial, but a fire just below the impact site has caused heat damage to a spot on the bottom of the monitor's thin hull. In addition to the damage inflicted by the Krolowa and her turncoat cavalry allies, the monitor's crew were able to get up to a bit of mischief before striking their colours. A thermite grenade in the breach of the 76mm main gun has rendered the weapon completely inoperable. Only one of the two Dishkas is still working; the other is damaged beyond repair (but the weapon can still yield valuable spares). Given time, the proper facilities, and a team of skilled nautical mechanics, the Crocodile could be returned to service.

The crew, sullen and dejected, seem reasonably cooperative during preliminary interrogation, responding particularly well to the offer of first aid. Most of them sport at least a few small burns, some of them quite serious, and all of them are suffering to some degree from smoke inhalation. The only crewman killed during the battle with the Krolowa was the KPV gunner- not much of him is left. The prisoners claim that the Crocodile was not built in Torun, but rather further downpriver, at Grudziaz, the cantonment hub of the Soviet 22nd Army. They also claim that a second monitor is currently under construction there, but they can't (or won't) say how far along it is sicne they've been stationed in Torun for the past week. They don't give much detail regarding the river defenses for Torun, possibly because there really aren't any. From what you can glean, the bridge entrance and egress points are well defended by fortified machinegun nests guarding the road, but, there aren't any dedicated riverside bunkers or heavy-weapons positions overlooking the Vistula.

Thijs refutes at least one of these claims. When he passed through Torun (heading upriver) he saw what he believes to be the Crocodile under construction. This intel casts the rest of what the prisoners report into question. Furthermore, the commander of the 89th states that the 22nd Cavalry Army HQ is in Torun, not Grudziaz.

The commander of the 89th is eager to resume crossing operations. He promises to provide a diversion should you choose to run the gauntlet through Torun, launching a raid on the town's eastern edge to draw attention and strength away from the river. As he says, it's the least he can do to repay you for helping his division to get closer to home.

There's still much to be done. Over half of the 89th remains stranded on the west bank of the Vistula, a plan for getting past Torun must be devised, and the tug's defenses bolstered (i.e. captured weaponry emplaced).

Captured:
458 rounds 12.7mm
7 76mm HE/FRAG
4 76mm HEAT
4 76mm AP



Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:37, Fri 08 Mar 2013.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1153 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 8 Mar 2013
at 16:13
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
When Mariusz and the Princess returned to the Queen he helped offload the weapons and then said to Griet and Bayer, "Do you want us to try and salvage the boat? If nothing else we need to stop it floating back to Torun."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 767 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 8 Mar 2013
at 16:15
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Try and get the Police Boat beached on the banks of the river and then return to us," she said, "we need the Princess as a rescue boat."

"Kaptain," she said to Bayer, "is that acceptable?"
Craig Sutherland
 player, 634 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 9 Mar 2013
at 01:28
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

With the monitor breached and broken Craig concentrated his a attention and that of the heavy machine gun on the surrendering crew. He stays in this position manning the gun until re-leaved to either help with the salvage of the monitor or the movement of the Soviets across the river.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1503 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 9 Mar 2013
at 15:43
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Tucker will lend a hand either watching and searching the prisoners or going through the ship looking for loot.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1561 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 9 Mar 2013
at 23:07
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jan was very grateful to the Soviet crewmen of the 120mm Mortar because, based on the apparent damage to the Monitor, they seemed to have turned the tide of the battle and caused enough damage to the enemy vessel to prevent its main armament, the 76mm gun, from firing at the Queen.  That gun would surely have done substantial damage to their vessel and Jan was glad that he'd never found out for certain.

As they had prisoners to look after Jan also offered to take control of them.

"Capitaine, I suggest that Tuck, Minh and I keep control of the prisoners on the bank while you and Griet continue the ferrying operation.  Is that ok?"

Truth be told he would be quite keen to get onto dry land as well.
Daniel Larue
 player, 300 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 10 Mar 2013
at 15:16
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Danny tilts his head toward Jan.  "Don't know how, but we got out of that one without any injuries on our side.  I'll go with you and start treating the Russians."
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 40 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sun 10 Mar 2013
at 15:31
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Connolly returns aboard the tug with a well-concealed sigh of relief.  "Mariusz, that was some excellent seamanship," she advises the young partisan.  "Nicely done."

She finds Larue and returns his radio to him, then ducks inside to drop off her rifle and web gear and to log the flare pistol  into the armory.  Then she heads upstairs to report in.

Despite the cold, the climb to the bridge produces only the occasional twinge in her leg.  She's not sure whether she's really healing at last or whether the lingering adrenaline is masking the pain, but it's a nice change.  "Captains," she greets Bayer and Griet, "The escort crew wasn't entirely cooperative, but we brought back the AGS-17.  Only six rounds for it, though.  Thijs killed one door gun and they scuttled the other one, but we did get about eighty rounds of belted for that.  Also," she passes the captured maps to Griet, "these may be useful."

She surveys the Crocodile with a wry expression. "It looks like Mac and Jozef are having fun over there and don't need a manager.  Unless you have other orders, I'll go keep an eye on Mister Warren's interrogations."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:05, Mon 11 Mar 2013.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1854 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 11 Mar 2013
at 06:15
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet Niewiadomska:
"Kaptain," she said to Bayer, "is that acceptable?"


"Yes. I think that is best." Bayer replies in agreement.

Jan Cerny:
"Capitaine, I suggest that Tuck, Minh and I keep control of the prisoners on the bank while you and Griet continue the ferrying operation.  Is that ok?"


"Yes, but not Minh. I want her engineer skills with the recovery effort." he then answers. "Two, plus a medic, are sufficient for PW security so everyone not on recovery I want back on the tug to supervise the crossing, which is to be the main focus. The remaining salvage can wait until we get the Russians across."

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly:
"Captains," she greets Bayer and Griet, "The escort crew wasn't entirely cooperative, but we brought back the AGS-17.  Only six rounds for it, though.  Thijs killed one door gun and they scuttled the other one, but we did get about eighty rounds of belted for that.  Also," she passes the captured maps to Griet, "these may be useful."

She surveys the Crocodile with a wry expression. "It looks like Mac and Jozef are having fun over there and don't need a manager.  Unless you have other orders, I'll go keep an eye on Mister Warren's interrogations."


Bayer scowled slightly at the news of the handful of grenades and only eighty rounds captured for their PKMs, but didn't let it bother him too much. A victory without a scratch was better than anything. "Well done with the escort boat." he says in response. "I actually could use your assistance on the Queen though. And Mr.Warren is not to harm the prisoners... I want him on board too."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:17, Mon 11 Mar 2013.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1504 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 11 Mar 2013
at 13:41
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Tucker nods to Jan and Bayer, "No problem guys.  Lemme just get a weapon to fit the detail."  Tucker goes and grabs his M-14 SOCOM and his rig he uses for it and then comes back out with Jan to watch the prisoners.  He lights a cigar after a few minutes.
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 117 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Mon 11 Mar 2013
at 19:58
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
With the adrenaline of combat subsiding, Thijs is able to relax a bit while maintaining his post at the starboard DShK.  As the ferrying operation resumed, he kept watch at the machine gun, ready to go back into action if anything else turned up.
Anders Mattson
 player, 67 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Mon 11 Mar 2013
at 20:20
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders walked up to the bridge. "Will I stay at the gun or do you have something else for me to do, captain?" He didn't know the crew's operating procedure and it was a bit difficult for him to figure out, what he was supposed to do.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 769 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 11 Mar 2013
at 20:23
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Very good," Griet said.

She waited for everyone to get organised and detached to their various tasks and then headed back to ferrying the troops.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1154 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 11 Mar 2013
at 20:25
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Thanks," Mariusz said, blushing slightly at the compliment. He made sure that everyone was ferried where they needed to be and then said, "Are we going after the escort boat?"
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 528 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Mon 11 Mar 2013
at 22:31
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jay followed Anders to the bridge, also awaiting instruction on his next assignment.
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 41 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Mon 11 Mar 2013
at 23:08
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Mariusz Tokarski:
"Thanks," Mariusz said, blushing slightly at the compliment. He made sure that everyone was ferried where they needed to be and then said, "Are we going after the escort boat?"


"You are," Connolly grins.  "Take Lieutenant Carlisle and Mister Warren and keep them out of trouble.  Tow the escort ashore, then report back here."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1155 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Tue 12 Mar 2013
at 20:18
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"OK," Mariusz said, "Mr. Warren, Lieutenant, could you be ready to tie off the escort boat when we get to it. Be ready to cast loose if it proves too much for the engine."

Mariusz waited for the crew to board and then puttered off after the stricken escort boat.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1562 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 12 Mar 2013
at 20:23
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Konrad Bayer:
"Yes, but not Minh. I want her engineer skills with the recovery effort." he then answers. "Two, plus a medic, are sufficient for PW security so everyone not on recovery I want back on the tug to supervise the crossing, which is to be the main focus. The remaining salvage can wait until we get the Russians across."

Jan nodded in acknowledgement of Konrad's instructions and then joined Tuck and Danny in gathering the prisoners together and leading them a little away from the beached Monitor, though still keeping them visible from the river, a little upstream from the wreck on the riverbank.

"OK," Jan said to the assembled prisoners in Polish.  "Any of you speak Polish and are able to translate for the others?"
Daniel Larue
 player, 301 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Tue 12 Mar 2013
at 22:08
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jan Cerny:
"OK," Jan said to the assembled prisoners in Polish.  "Any of you speak Polish and are able to translate for the others?"


Danny waits until Jan establishes order among the prisoners before beginning treatment.  Before moving in, he safes Winona and hands her off to Tuck, then makes sure the retention strap on his holster is secured.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2822 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Wed 27 Mar 2013
at 00:24
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

For the next 48 hours, the Queen is a beehive of activity.

LaRue helps treat the wounded Torun navy personnel. None of the wounds require surgery so, at the cost of a considerable amount of basic medical supplies, all of the injured receive basic aid.

Mariusz and the small boat crew return empty handed. Rpeated attempts to take the police boat under tow failed and, rather than risk the Princess and its complement, Mariusz let the disabled enemy vessel go. At the rate that it is taking on water, it most likely won't reach Torun before sinking.

The fresh batch of prisoners is interrogated. From them, you learn that Torun is the headquarters of 22nd Cavalry Army and a constituent line unit constisting of about 800 cavalry and 300 infantry. Their cantonment is well-established and the local populace friendly and cooperative. Although the troops there remain nominally loyal to the Soviet high command, they have no desire to leave the relative comfort and safety of the area to actively participate in the war against NATO continuing further west. Desertion is a minor problem, less so now that winter has set in. It's possible that the 22nd is hindering the 89th from leaving Poland in attempt to discourage its own troops from considering following suit. They are about 3/4 finished building a new river monitor, this one armed with a 30mm autocannon instead of a 76mm gun. It is probably still a couple of weeks away from operational status. Possessing a powerful (on paper, at least) brown-water naval force, Torun has supposedly neglected its riverside fortifications.

The 89th is ferried across the Vistula without losing any more horses (or men). As agreed, they turn over control of their one remaining ZU-23-2 and all of its ammunition (+22 rounds 23mm API). They also turn over some 30mm HE, since they no longer have any AGLs to fire it (+26 rounds 30mm HE). The 89th's commander reiterates his offer to launch a diversionary raid on Torun's defenses from the eastern, landward side, hopefully drawing the garrison's attention away from the river while the Krolowa passes by the town. With it's reinforced crew and additional firepower, the Krolowa has a fighting chance to get past Torun. On the other hand, the tug effective ties the Kommando to a predictable, linear path. It's certain that the Torun garrison has noted the Crocodile's failure to return to base. They may not know what happened, but they probably know enough to suspect foul play. The Crocodile's radios were more than capable of reaching Torun so, in all likelihood, the garrison knows of the Krolowa.


Next Moves?
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 42 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Thu 28 Mar 2013
at 00:38
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Connolly glowers at the map.  "Do we know how heavily they patrol around Torun?  Would it be worth putting in a recon team on foot to surveil the defenses and take a look at the shipping channel, then make a high-speed run past the city at night?"  She quirks her mouth and amends, "as high-speed as the Queen gets, anyway.  No offense, Griet."

She turns and glares out the window at the ZU-23-2.  "Fucker," she growls under her breath at the gun.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:46, Thu 28 Mar 2013.

Daniel Larue
 player, 306 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Thu 28 Mar 2013
at 00:45
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Finally done with surgery and freshly showered, Danny goes in search of Bayer, propelled by manic energy born of being a passenger in the recent fight.  "Hauptmann," he reports, "the cav's wounded and the surviving prisoners are taken care of.  We ran through a lot of basic supplies, though.  I pirated what I could from the cav's surgeon but everyone's pretty low on wound dressings and sutures."  He pauses for a moment and suppresses a smile.  "I do still have enough to take care of a little dentistry while we have a secure harbor here.  Block off an hour for the procedure and eight hours to sleep it off, willya, Sir?"

This message was last edited by the player at 21:39, Thu 28 Mar 2013.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 532 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Thu 28 Mar 2013
at 08:01
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jay busied himself with mundane tasks about the boat, helping out as a gopher and workhorse while those more qualified conducted repairs. The recent firefight had gone very well, and he had actually quite enjoyed assisting with the Vasilek. He had never been involved in a naval battle before, so the whole experience was refreshing.

When it came to chow time he helped Mariusz in the galley.
Anders Mattson
 player, 70 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Thu 28 Mar 2013
at 14:31
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders spent most of his time getting to know the ship and its equipment. He was happy to be at sail again, the deck lightly swaying under his feet. With fatherly love, he examined the twin-23mm, removing the barrels with the years of experience he had on the said weapon, cleaning them properly and the reassembling the whole weapon in to a functional package. He welcomed anyone to help him in the interest of learning how the 'Sergei', as he called it, functioned. He also maintenanced the Vasilek, cleaning the breech properly and ensuring the recoil dampeners were all in prime condition. He checked the machineguns and the 30mm 'Plamya' for any need of maintenance, fixing the things that needed to be fixed.

He chatted people up when possible, even if his English wasn't necessarily of the best quality and he used some strange words, probably from his own native language, in the place of those he could not translate.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1569 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 28 Mar 2013
at 22:31
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Puffing at yet another cigarette Jan added his own thoughts to those of Boots.

"I do not think that there is any way that the Queen can pretend to be just a merchant passing through Torun on her way downriver any more.  The battle took so long the crew of the monitor must have reported her.  We talked before about some of us going around the town but that does not work now.  I think that we must do as Boots suggests and sail as quickly as possible past the town, ideally at night if we can risk running aground."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 770 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 28 Mar 2013
at 23:13
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"If the enemy have any artillery left or any heavy vehicles then we are screwed," she said, "a couple of kids with a mortar nearly scoured us of weapons at Plock and you saw what even near misses did to the Crocodile. We are more robust than that, but we're a few lucky shots from a disaster. If we are going to run the gauntlet at Torun we're going to need to have major help from the 82nd."

Why the Russians would want to engage in a fight which took them away from their destination was a mystery to Griet but she wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

She looked at the others and said, "I know you are an honourable group, but I think we need to look at how cold-blooded you want to be in this endeavour."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1570 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 29 Mar 2013
at 00:25
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet Niewiadomska:
"I know you are an honourable group, but I think we need to look at how cold-blooded you want to be in this endeavour."

"How do you mean?" asked Jan, obviously slightly confused.
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 43 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Fri 29 Mar 2013
at 01:45
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Meaning how hard are we willing to fuck the friendly Russians to get past the unfriendly ones, I think," Connolly says neutrally, still glaring at the ZSU.  She turns and forces a smile to show Jan her anger is with the gun, not him. "And when I say put in a recon team, I mean sneaky, not undercover. Get some daylight observation of the channel around Torun - Anders probably has the best eye for it - and then run the defenses at night, using lookouts with NVGs."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:53, Fri 29 Mar 2013.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 636 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 29 Mar 2013
at 04:22
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen

Craig gave a hand where he was needed until the crossing was completed. He then helped with the salvage operation and moving the new weapons and ammunition on to the tug. Unsure of the new positions for the weapons he put it all out on the weather deck and waited for some direction. The large calibre tank gun rounds he put in the weapons locker.
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 119 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Fri 29 Mar 2013
at 15:51
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Thijs manned the starboard DShK as usual during the ferrying operation, and lent a hand wherever needed afterward, with breaks at the normal times for eating and sleeping.
Anders Mattson
 player, 71 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Fri 29 Mar 2013
at 18:07
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders walked up on to the bridge. "Captain", he said in an interrogative tone. "Where do you want the 'Sergei'? We could get it on to the deck where the DShKs are now - it would have good position there." How to get it there, was a question, but he could either dismantle it and move it piece by piece or use a crane to lift it there as a whole.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1855 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 29 Mar 2013
at 21:53
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Bayer listens to Laure's report and the medic's offer of some rather unfortunately much needed dental work. The future was always unknown, but now seemed like the kind of opportunity that would work.  "Okay." he agrees. "After I have a chance to get things sorted we'll do it."

He then focuses his attention on the main issue at hand, getting the tug past Torun. "Acting as merchants is no longer on the table." he says first, acknowledging Jan's comment. "It will almost surely be a night maneuver though." he then says afterwards.

Bayer then contemplates Griet's concern about mortars and says, "No matter what we do, or who helps us, there will be that risk. It can't be avoided and we're just going to have to make the best of darkness, surprise, and speed, to run through."

Anders Mattson:
"Captain, where do you want the 'Sergei'? We could get it on to the deck where the DShKs are now - it would have good position there."


Bayer wasn't sure if the question was addressed to him or Griet, but left it to the skipper to decide regardless.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 21:54, Fri 29 Mar 2013.

Minh Quyen
 player, 687 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 29 Mar 2013
at 23:46
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
After the recovery of the police boat ended without any progress Quyen returned to the tug and helped weapon maintenance. Afterward she kept out of the already crowded bridge and waited in the galley for orders.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 771 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 30 Mar 2013
at 08:25
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Relying on speed and surprise aren't the best bet with the Queen," Griet said, "I know we have little choice as the tug is tied to the river but the engine will be heard for about twenty minutes before they can see us and it will take a little over fifty minutes to get past the frontage of the town."

"Unless the diversion is suicidally close to the city to cover our approach there will be no surprise," Griet continued, "we might get lucky and have the enemy send the majority of their heavy weapons to the fight with the 82nd but for that to happen the other Russians would need to know that they have a good chance of taking out the whole division and I can't see our allies committing themselves in those numbers."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 772 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 30 Mar 2013
at 09:04
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Griet answered Anders, "We liberated a Zoo-Two before but it was too heavy to mount on the upper deck. There is plenty of room on the rear deck if we want it there. The other issue is protection on it, until we can build something, the gunner will be exposed. Last time we used one the gunner was killed in seconds. Add to that the fact that it can fire one burst and then it's empty and it has limited effectiveness. If you could lower the fate of fire it might be of more use."


She looked around and said, "I apologise for seeming negative, but everyone needs to understand that sailing through Torun with the prospect of facing several hundred defenders will be extremely dangerous. Even without heavy weapons or naval assets there are two major bridges that we have to cross below where we can be rained on by grenades."
Anders Mattson
 player, 72 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 30 Mar 2013
at 09:33
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"You have welding gear, yes? If we salvage metal from the monitor, I could make gunshield and reinforce the deck for the 'Sergei'. Better field of fire from higher. And the firing rate, it has two settings - 2000 rounds minute cyclic or 400 rounds minute. I can train gunners for it - I know 'Sergei' well." The Finn had operated the said weapon since he was in the conscript service and knew it by heart. "We can set it up on rear deck, but it will have limited field of fire there."

OOC: the ZU-23-2 can (and often is) loaded on the back of a truck and fired from the bed without a problem. Welding tools and I'm pretty certain, Anders could actually fix a mount for it - of course depending on Rae's judgement on the matter.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 773 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 30 Mar 2013
at 09:52
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"I spent a year manning a Zoo-Two battery in Gdansk," Griet said, "so I'm fairly familiar with the gun too. Everything you say is correct although switching the gun to its lowest rate means we'll have two seconds' worth of firing rather than 0.4 seconds which is a lot, but when we're talking of an engagement that might last up to an hour it seems a negligible gain. Given time and more ammunition I would agree with everything you say and I would love to have the gun in that position. I just feel that maximising its field of fire for a two second burst would be a waste of resources given that we have already spent two days ferrying troops and giving the forces at Torun time to prepare river defences since they now know that there's an armed boat capable of defeating their monitors on the way. If there was more ammunition it might be worth it, as it is I think we should keep it on the rear deck and covered until we have a single target worth firing at. You can then switch to that, I'll manouvre the gun into position, you fire for two seconds and then return to another post."
Anders Mattson
 player, 73 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 30 Mar 2013
at 10:17
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"If you have an extra Kalashnikov, I can build training weapon for 'Sergei'. We used them for teaching gunners and conserved real grenades. And with 'Sergei', short bursts and quick loader are the key - I can train gunner and loader for it. It is easier than for me to run from one weapon to another in a fight." Anders was making a point - while the gun could fire 17 rounds a second from each barrel with the trigger fully depressed, short controlled bursts would be around the total of about ten rounds and with that, the 50-round belts would last from five to ten bursts before requiring reloading.

OOC: that is, the RoF is calculated with the trigger being held down, but no-one in their right mind would do that. The bursts would be very short and to a point-target.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 774 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 30 Mar 2013
at 10:32
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Again, all valid point if we had more than TWENTY-TWO rounds of ammunition," Griet said.
Anders Mattson
 player, 74 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 30 Mar 2013
at 10:38
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders nods. "I could still build gunshield for it and the training weapon, if you have a spare Kalashnikov to be used. Where do you wish to have the 'Plamya' mounted? On top of the bridge?"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 775 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 30 Mar 2013
at 10:52
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"If we have time we can make a gunshield but we'll see." Griet said, "I would like the AGS-17 on top of the wheelhouse so we'll need to build a position there to protect the gunner as much as we can. I'd rather we focussed efforts there until we can get more ammo for the Zoo-Two. Once we have more ammo I'll help you strip it down and fix it in the optimum position in front of the bridge."
Anders Mattson
 player, 75 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 30 Mar 2013
at 11:11
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Alright, captain. I'll set to workon the 'Plamya' for now. 'Sergei' and ''Vasilek' have been maintenanced."
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 44 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sat 30 Mar 2013
at 12:01
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Connolly manages to look slightly abashed. "You're right, Griet. I'm still not used to thinking in terms of being heard half an hour before I'm seen." She glances out the window again. "Huh. How many prisoners did we get between the monitor and the escort boat?" she asks rhetorically. "Can we negotiate with the Torun garrison? Safe passage past the city in exchange for their release?"
Daniel Larue
 player, 307 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sat 30 Mar 2013
at 12:04
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Konrad Bayer:
Bayer listens to Laure's report and the medic's offer of some rather unfortunately much needed dental work. The future was always unknown, but now seemed like the kind of opportunity that would work.  "Okay." he agrees. "After I have a chance to get things sorted we'll do it."


"Awright," Danny agrees. "I'll be down in the galley when you're ready." With that, he withdraws from the overcrowded bridge.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:05, Sat 30 Mar 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 776 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 30 Mar 2013
at 13:00
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"That's excellent," Griet said to Anders, "once we're finished here I'll come and help you with the grunt work."

She listened to Boots' suggestion and said, "I doubt it'll work but it loses us so little that it is worth trying. We could also offer them the mortar and Zoo-Two to sweeten the exchange. It's a better use of the prisoners than I'd thought of. The bastards said that they'd destroyed the gun "before" they surrendered but as far as I'm concerned they breached the terms of surrender and deserve execution. I'd planned to strap them to the boat and make their comrades shoot through them to get to us but this is also a possibility."
Anders Mattson
 player, 76 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 30 Mar 2013
at 13:15
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Anders nodded to Griet and headed out to get the Soviet-built grenade machinegun and its tripod. The tripod would not be that difficult to get up there, but the gun itself was far heavier. He got himself a sturdy rope, tied the gun in a two-point sling and climbed up with the rope in tow, pulling the gun up from the platform just outside the bridge. Then he climbed down again, this time attaching the rope to the tripod and hauling it up. The spotlight was going to cause a bit of a problem for emplacing the weapon - he'd probably need to build a mast for the light or an elevated mount for the weapon. Even better, with some metal sheet and tools, he could probably build a nest for the 'Plamya', incorporating the spotlight and from there on, where-ever the spotlight pointed to, the weapon would point as well, the gunner protected by a shield.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1506 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 31 Mar 2013
at 13:12
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Robert gives a hand wherever it is needed on the tug.  He helps with the bringing aboard the new gear and checking it over to make sure it is serviceable and functional.  Once all of the new stuff is brought onboard and stowed, he then reports for any damage control duty that needs to be attended too on the Queen.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 533 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sun 31 Mar 2013
at 13:46
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
Jay was looking for work, and found Anders moving the heavy weapon. He volunteered and lent his wiry frame to the exercise.

OOC - Anders, happy for you to give me instructions...

This message was last edited by the player at 13:47, Sun 31 Mar 2013.

Anders Mattson
 player, 77 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sun 31 Mar 2013
at 13:51
Re: The Crocodile and the Queen
"Jay, we need sandbags for a nest here", Anders called to the Gurkha as he saw him looking for something to do. He climbed down the ladder himself, in order to carry them as well - they'd need to cradle them up with the rope as well, but first they needed to be somewhere, they could reach them with it and preferrably close enough to the bridge, so theywould have to lift them up as little as possible.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2824 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 31 Mar 2013
at 22:24
The Queen Triumphant

Wednesday, November 30, 2000
0800 hrs.
31F
Overcast skies; light breeze from the north
Dobiegniewo, Poland



Anders and Jay shift the captured AGS-17 to the roof of the bridge and begin protecting it with more sandbags (a low ring of sandbags is already in place, as the bridge roof has been used as a sniper's platform). The elevated position offers good fields of fire in almost all directions, save directly aft (due to the smoke stack). This leaves the tug's 6-o'clock defended by only a single PKM. The ZU-23-2, however, would fit comfortably on the tug's fantail, where, despite it's very limited ammo, it offers a significant upgrade in rear defenses. Anders has also suggested cutting some of the armor plate off of the beached monitor for use in a gunshield for the Soviet AA gun. Considering your past experience with the Komamndo's previous ZU, this is not a bad idea. It will, however, take time and fuel for the tug's welding equipment.

The prisoners, a dozen men from the combined crews of the monitor and its scout/escort, several of them wounded (none critically), remain aboard the tug. When they departed, the officers of 89th didn't argue for the prisoners' transfer. You get the impression that the 89th didn't want the extra mouths to feed. You can understand their concern- the tug's provisions were going fast before having to worry about sustaining a dozen EPWs. Every day that they're aboard [assuming that they are fed], the Kommando's rations get shorter. Thanks in large part to this detour of several days, the Krolowa is down to about 2/3 of its fuel capacity and its food stores. It could have proven more costly, had the Torun navy performed better.

It's cold and cloudy again. The leaden sky promises snow later in the day. The 89th has completed the crossing and is moving on. They don't have enough food or supplies to supplement the agreed-upon payment of their last remaining heavy weapons. They're going to need every bit of it to make it to Poland's eastern frontier, especially considering the worsening weather.

The tug crew has the radio frequencies used by the Torun garrison. Once a few kilometers downriver, you should be able to contact them directly. The idea to negotiate an unopposed passage of the river in exchange for the prisoners has been floated. Skilled boat crews are probably in short supply in these parts and, if the Torun garrison is indeed working on another monitor, your prisoners have a force-multiplier value in excess of their small number. To sweeten the pot, you have the 89th's now ammo-less 120mm mortar and, if you are willing to part with it, the ZU-23-2 as well. It's certainly a viable option if the Kommando wants to avoid a potentially dangerous forced passage of the town.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:26, Sun 31 Mar 2013.

Daniel Larue
 player, 308 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Mon 1 Apr 2013
at 20:57
Re: The Queen Triumphant
Danny preps his dental tools.  While waiting for Konrad to finish the planning session, he wanders around the tug, checking on both the Kommando and the vessel's crew to ensure everyone's staying warm and no one else is carrying any minor injuries that could worsen if left untreated.  He pays particular attention to Warren, Kel, and Mac, all of whom were injured at Plock only a week ago.

"Hey, Kel," he mentions in passing, "can you do us all a favor and make sure those fire extinguishers get repressurized?  The air compressor in the machine shop still works, right?"

This message was last edited by the player at 21:01, Mon 01 Apr 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 777 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 2 Apr 2013
at 15:34
Re: The Queen Triumphant
Griet made a thorough inspection of every critical device on the boat to ensure the machinery was holding up well and then addressed the Captain, "Captain," she said, "do you think we should ask for enough food to cover what we've wasted on the prisoners or do we just count ourselves lucky to get through without a fight? I'd push for the food but I'm fundementally too greedy for my own good."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1856 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 2 Apr 2013
at 17:31
Re: The Queen Triumphant
"Those prisoners are to get no rations. Only water." Bayer answers. "They will not die if they miss eating for a day or two. We promised them quarter and freedom once that it practical... which will be soon enough.

Bayer then says, "I do not think we should prod our allies for more. The deal is done, they are across the river, and we can't have them backing out of their promised diversion."

He then changes the topic and asks, "I have little faith in Torun willing to let us pass without firing a shot, even if they do agree to a negotiation. I think we should maintain the initiative and run through under darkness and a diversion. Are you opposed?"

This message was lightly edited by the player at 17:32, Tue 02 Apr 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 778 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 2 Apr 2013
at 17:52
Re: The Queen Triumphant
"If you think that is best," Griet said, "we will do it althuough it will be difficult. As I've mentioned before, the enemy probably know our capabilities and have had two days to prepare defences if they don't already have the. If they oppose us it will be bloody, very bloody."

She looked at the charts, "We'll keep them as involved in negotiations as we can and keep steaming. According to my log, we fired first but the water taxi fired so quickly that we can claim they fired first. They certainly had planned to fire before they issued any warning. As far as we knew they were River pirates interfering with us helping an Allied unit get home. We say that the 82nd told us they were following orders and that they told us we had to co-operate."

"It won't work, but if we can cloud the issue enough we might be able to get past," Griet said, "maybe even if we can pull a fast one like we did before; get past the city and agree to turn over the prisoners away from the city. Make it look to them as if they can get us there and double cross them. We could even offer to give up the Queen in exchange for a couple of trucks and papers to get us to Gdansk. If we make them think they'll gain more by double crossing us later we might get a chance to fight at better odds."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1573 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 2 Apr 2013
at 22:38
Re: The Queen Triumphant
Jan listed to the discussion about the next course of action and decided to offer an idea that had occurred to him previously.

"Griet, I can not remember if I suggested this before and it might be a stupid idea but could we try just floating down river at night?  The river is wide I think and if we keep to the centre the river will the current not just take us past the town?  We might have to fend our way around the bridges but that can be done.

"Or is that a stupid idea that only someone like I who does not know about boats would suggest?  Please tell me if I am being stupid with this suggestion.  Also if needed how long does it take to get the engines started?  Could we float down close and then start up the engines if needed?  That would give them less time to react.

"Lastly with the Zoo could we not just load a single round at a time and use it as a long range rifle to try to shoot particular targets like searchlights?"
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 45 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Tue 2 Apr 2013
at 23:27
Re: The Queen Triumphant
Connolly smiles faintly at Jan.  "That's a hell of an anti-material rifle, but you may be onto something there."

She turns to Griet and Bayer and lets her smile fade.  "You know, the more people we hack off on the trip downriver, the harder it'll be for Griet to ever come back this way after she drops us off.  I know long-term planning isn't a priority right now but I just wanted to put that on the table."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 779 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 3 Apr 2013
at 16:03
Re: The Queen Triumphant
"It's not a stupid idea," Griet said about floating downriver, "but it would be risky. If we run with cold boilers it will take thirty minutes to get underway and if we run with a hot boiler it will be nearly as obvious as running with the engine on. Drifting will also take us about eight hours to get past Torun and that's a long time to remain unnoticed. Also, if we hit an obstacle we won't be able to manouvre."

She looked at Boots and smiled, "I'm not planning on coming back down this river for a long time. Everyone we've passed would shoot us on sight. What I do after I fulfill my father's promise to you, I don't know. I do know I won't be trading on the Wistula."


"As for long term," she said, "I'm more worried about the fact that when I drop you off I am down to four crew. If we don't find trustworthy recruits soon I might as well scuttle the Queen as I wave goodbye to you."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1507 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 3 Apr 2013
at 22:58
Re: The Queen Triumphant
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly:
Connolly smiles faintly at Jan.  "That's a hell of an anti-material rifle, but you may be onto something there."

She turns to Griet and Bayer and lets her smile fade.  "You know, the more people we hack off on the trip downriver, the harder it'll be for Griet to ever come back this way after she drops us off.  I know long-term planning isn't a priority right now but I just wanted to put that on the table."

"I've got to agree  with Connolly boss.  We pooch this up and say we get through and we get off the boat, Griet may be screwed trying to get back this way.

Second, I don't think we should give up the Queen.  We've fought long and hard to get what we have.  We owe that much."

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 46 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Thu 4 Apr 2013
at 01:41
Re: The Queen Triumphant
Connolly glances at Tuck in mild and, she hopes, well-concealed surprise. "There's also the trip north.  I'm not going to get all Geneva Convention at this late date, but whatever we do still travels at the speed of radio.  And yeah, the Queen does make our movement predictable, but I think the benefits outweigh the route constraints."  She pauses and smirks at Tuck.  "If I were big on walking I'd've joined the Army."

She braces her palms against the bulkhead and stretches her legs, trying to ignore the incipient twinges in her shins. "Argh.  How about this?"  Straightening, she pulls her hair up, using a dead ballpoint pen as a hairstick.  "We talk to Torun.  That doesn't cost us anything, they already know we're coming.  If they want face-to-face negotiations, I'll handle it, with Warren to translate and maybe someone," she peers sideways at Tuck again, "who's good with a pistol for security.  If they agree to trade safe passage for their men, we set up a hand-off point downriver from them, then send in a recon team on foot to ensure it's not an ambush."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:48, Thu 04 Apr 2013.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 637 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 6 Apr 2013
at 00:41
Re: The Queen Triumphant

Craig sat back enjoying being out of the weather now their task of moving the Russians across the river was completed. He studied the maps that had been laid out during the planning season, even taking some notes of his own.

He had very little to add to the plan most of his ideas had already been suggested, such as moving through at night. If it was a moonless night all the better.

"It is a pity the camouflage nets where burnt up on the other ship as it mite be an idea to try and disguise the blocky outline of the tug in the night."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2828 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 6 Apr 2013
at 17:28
Re: The Queen Triumphant

Wednesday, November 30, 2000
1200 hrs.
31F
Overcast skies; snow flurries, light breeze from the north
Vistula river between Dobiegniewo and Torun, Poland



The Krolowa bobs gently at anchor. Snow falls gently, adding to the thin white blanket that covers most of the surrounding countryside. A thin layer of ice coats the Krolowa's uppers, making the decks slick and the railings dangerous to touch with bare hands. Her defenses have been supplemented by the ZU-23-2 now mounted on the fantail aft of the quarterdeck PKM position. The 23mm AA gun is a significant addition to the tug's firepower, but its crew will vulnerable to enemy fire until the Kommando has a chance to fashion a gunshield for it (those who were aboard at the time remember what happened to Viktor Ritter at Tarnobrzeg when he was manning the tug's first ZU-23-2 on the barge). The AGS-17 is a bit less vulnerable within the sandbagged crow's nest atop the bridge. The Kommando manning said automatic grenade launcher is the first to spot the pilot boat flying a white flag of truce as it fights the current on its upriver course from Torun. The model is identical to the Plock bomb boat that Craig blew up a few days earlier.

The pilot boat approaches the tug off of the larger vessel's starboard bow, as agreed upon during preliminary radio negotiations. Several guns are trained on the envoy's boat as it draws near and comes alongside. Its two-man baot crew toss lines to the tug's Polish deck crew and it's made fast alongside. The negotiator climbs aboard the Krolowa, accompanied by his second. They are searched and escorted to the bridge by Warren and Minh. The two pilot boat crewman remain on board their own vessel, under the watchful eye of several Kommandos.

A few snowflakes sneak into the bridge when the negotiator steps through the open door. The bridge is crowded and those manning the HMGs on the walkway below can hear most of what is said inside. The negotiator speaks fluent Polish and basic English. After exchanging the customary formalities in the former, he switches to the latter to facilitate the proceedings. His second also speaks good Polish, but if he speaks or understands any English, he doesn't let on.

"You have twelve of our men and wish to trade them for safe passage through Torun, is this corret? I wish to see and speak to them before considering your proposal."


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:52, Sun 14 Apr 2013.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1508 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 7 Apr 2013
at 01:39
Re: The Queen Triumphant
In reply to Dominique 'Boots' Connolly (msg # 488):

Tucker returns the smirk to Connolly, "I'm your man when it comes to pistol work Major.  Just let me know."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 781 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 7 Apr 2013
at 08:45
Re: The Queen Triumphant
"That's correct," Griet said, "we have several other items to offer you as well but that can be discussed later. Let's speak to your men first, I'll show them all to you and then you can speak with one of them. The first thing they might tell you is that they've been on water only, we simply don't have the food to feed them. They have not been deliberately mistreated but they will not be happy."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2830 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 7 Apr 2013
at 22:20
Re: The Queen Triumphant
Griet Niewiadomska:
"That's correct," Griet said, "we have several other items to offer you as well but that can be discussed later. Let's speak to your men first, I'll show them all to you and then you can speak with one of them. The first thing they might tell you is that they've been on water only, we simply don't have the food to feed them. They have not been deliberately mistreated but they will not be happy."


"Hm, yes. Please, take me to them."

The negotiator is led to the prisoners. Several of them are wounded and, although all of them have received adequate medical care, a couple of them are still grunting and moaning in pain. Under supervision, the negotiator speaks with a couple of the men. He asks them how they've been treated and what the fate of the Crocodile was. He's clearly pleased when informed that the vessel was not sunk.

Turning back to the Griet and the other Kommando representatives present he announces,

"I thank you for the care that you have given our men. You are clearly not pirates. I think that something between us can be arranged. I am not authorized to make the decision myself, however; I will have to speak with my superiors. There is one other matter that I wish to address: The gunboat- the one you call the Crocodile- it is grounded not far from here, is this correct? I wish to examine it. Will you allow me and my boat crew to look at it before we return to Torun?"

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:20, Sun 07 Apr 2013.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1578 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 8 Apr 2013
at 07:26
Re: The Queen Triumphant
Jan had figured that there were enough people covering the little boat that had brought the representatives from Torun so he'd stayed with the negotiators, just in case they did something stupid.  He was also ready to be Czechoslovakian in case Konrad or Griet wanted to appear less NATO.

As the man reviewed the prisoners, and did a very thorough scouting mission of the Queen in the process, Jan asked him a question, speaking in Polish with a Czech accent.

"Have you seen many pirates on the river?  Also are there many other merchants sailing up or down it?  We have hardly seen any other vessels during our travels."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 782 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 8 Apr 2013
at 07:56
Re: The Queen Triumphant
"That will be acceptable," Griet said, "the incident that led to this fight was not of our making. We were engaged to help some of our Russian Allies cross the river on their way home. They told us that they were under orders to relocate and were being harassed by pirates."

Griet looked at the man,"We too have suffered from teh predation of pirates and our gunners have become used to reacting to agressive manouvres with violence. When the monitor and its escort moved toward us we began to run and were pursued without any hailing. That obviously led to the shots being exchanged and the unfortunate battle. You will need to check with your crew but my Dushka gunner swears blind that the AGS-17 gunner in the Police Boat fired first although given the almost simultaneous nature of the shots in my memory I believe that is a matter of debate. He did what I would have wanted him to, however, so the responsibility is still mine."

"As soon as we realised that the 82nd hadn't been fully truthful with us we made every effort to ensure the monitor was in a position where you could recover it. We have the ammunition that we could save here ready to hand over to you." Griet continued, "Unfortunately, there was little we could do about stopping the 82nd from crossing. There were 300 of them and we had members aboard the boat and on both sides. We were in no position to resist."

"I understand that you need to make sure that we are being truthful and I appreciate the fact that you are willing to negotiate," Griet said, "we took the 82nd's 120mm mortar and Zoo-Two as "payment" for our services, those, as well as the ammunition from the Krocodile will, of course, be turned over atthe same time as we make the prisoner exchange."
Minh Quyen
 player, 688 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 10 Apr 2013
at 05:37
Re: The Queen Triumphant
After escorting the Russians on board Quyen stays with them in the bridge to provide security for Griet, Bayer, and the others. When they move to inspect the prisoners she will accompany them there as well. She didn't anticipate trouble and was mostly just there to keep them from nosing around or saying too much to the prisoners.

While she waits she lights up a smoke, keeping on hand resting on her holstered pistol.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 639 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Wed 10 Apr 2013
at 07:04
Re: The Queen Triumphant

Craig continues to provide security on the Queen as the others move to the prisoners. He pulls the collar up on his jacket trying to stay a bit warmer in the chill air.

Keeping an eye both up and down the river Craig followed the early stages of the conversation before the group moved off.
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 49 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Wed 10 Apr 2013
at 23:38
Re: The Queen Triumphant
Connolly steps forward.  She's in serene, detached professional mode.  Her hair is pulled back in a severe braid and she's wearing her well-mended flight suit, sanitized of all insignia but her name tape and rank tabs.  "We've prepared a vessel survey -" in Polish, and thank you, Mac and Jozef, for playing nicely together "- but I'll be happy to accompany you on an inspection."  She extends a clipboard that bears Mac's minimal but clear sketches of the damage and Jozef's annotations and inventory.

She holds eye contact with the Russian spokesman until he accepts the clipboard, then half-turns to face Griet.  "Captain, with your permission, I'll take our guests across in the launch.  I have the usual crew standing by."

She waits for Griet's acquiescence, then gives the Russians a brisk nod.  "Gentlemen, if you'll follow me, please."  It's phrased as a question but delivered as an accepted fact: they will be following her.  After a brief pause for their reaction, she turns and leads the way to the Princess.  That's right, I'm acting like this situation is absolutely normal, and you'll lose face if you're less professional than us girls.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:41, Wed 10 Apr 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 783 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 11 Apr 2013
at 09:19
Re: The Queen Triumphant
"Thank you, Number Two," Griet said, "we can get you back to the Krocodile quickly as we've experienced the river between here and there. Plus I'd like to save you the fuel if we can, we've caused you not inconsiderable expense already."
Anders Mattson
 player, 78 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Thu 11 Apr 2013
at 19:58
Re: The Queen Triumphant
Anders stood on the foredeck, watching at the boat next to the Queen and along the river, leaning in to the side of the boat. He didn't speak too good English nor any Polish or Russian, so technically he was not going to have anything to contribute to the negotiations and thus decided to place himself somewhere else.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2833 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 12 Apr 2013
at 00:30
Negotiations

The negotiator doesn't bat an eye at Boot's directness. He simply falls in behind her with his second in tow, following her down the stairs to the main deck and aft to where the princess is moored. The tug has to tow her now, since the ZU-23-2 takes up most of the space where she used to be stowed on deck.

Connolly and her security team take the Soviets upriver to where the Crocodile is beached. The larger vessel sits low in the shallow water which runs over the mudbank in which it is stuck. The monitor looks pathetic in the cold light, its tarps and camoflaged netting burned away and her once intimidating martial paint scheme ruined by the incindiary effects of hundreds of white phosphorous particles. The KPV turret aft is scorched black and misshapen by the heat and explosive effects of its detonated 14.5mm ammunition.

The negotiator and his second climb aboard the monitor and spend about 10 minutes examining her more serious wounds, the cracking in its hull forward and the partially flooded engine compartment, and taking notes in small spiral notebook. Apparently having seen what he came to see, the negotiator asks Connolly to return them forthwith to the Krolowa.

Shortly after returning, the negotiating party departs for Torun in their pilot boat with the Kommando's offer. The next couple of hours pass slowly, the team on high alert. Many of you have been on the wrong side of a double-cross before on this journey, and some of you have double-crossed others. Lies and blood seem to flow right along with the swift, cold waters of the Vistula. The tense impasse is broken by a radioed forewarning of the negotiator's imminent return. The pilot boat follows precedent and protocol, approaching slowly just off the starboard bow. The negotiator climbs on board with a document bag (searched immediately, of course) and is once again escorted to the bridge to meet with the command crew [and anyone else not otherwise occupied].

The negotiator clears his throat and proceeds with the parley, "My commanding officer has authorized me to present the following offer. You will be allowed to pass Torun without interference if you tow the gunboat [the Crocodile] back to Torun on your way. The prisoners, of course, will also be returned to us once you are past the city limits. Are those terms acceptable?"


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:54, Fri 12 Apr 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 785 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 13 Apr 2013
at 10:25
Re: Negotiations
"That depends where you want us to deliver the Crocodile," Griet replied, "if I recall rightly, the docks in Torun are off the river and through a narrow channel. I would not be comfortable going in there but I would be happy to leave the Crocodile at the mouth of the channel where it would be possible for you to tow it in using vehicle power. In addition, if you wish you may take the most badly wounded prisoners with you if your medical facilities are better than ours. If these terms are acceptable to you, be can begin the operation immediately."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2834 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 13 Apr 2013
at 16:49
Re: Negotiations

"That would be acceptable. We will need to fetch a repair crew first, to close up the holes in the gunboat and pump out the water. Then, you will tow it to Torun. We will gladly take the wounded with us as well."

With that, the negotiator prepares to depart, deal in hand, for the second time today.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 786 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 13 Apr 2013
at 17:33
Re: Negotiations
"With your permission we will return to the Crocodile and take on wood from the nearby forest," Griet said, "as soon as you have the patches done we will move in and add our pumps to your work. The Queen has limited salvage capacity but we can help out with pumping. If you can't get her fully patched we might still be able to get her home by running our pumps and towing at the same time."

Almost as an after thought Griet said, "I don't expect your men to be unarmed when you return, the river is too dangerous for that, but whenever we manouvre to a position where they could technically board us I will expect magazines to be removed until we have moved out of range again. When it comes to towing the Crocodile, I expect you to have a minimum of crew and with no weapons, we will provide enough protection for the two craft."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2836 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 14 Apr 2013
at 22:47
Re: Negotiations

The negotiator pauses to consider Griet's ammendments to his proposal before nodding his head in assent. "Agreed, we will take the one with the bullet wounds and the two badly burned men back with us. It's getting late [it's about 1700 hrs.]. Will we be returning here or meeting you at the gunboat? Would you like us to return before sundown or wait until the morning?"

When the negotiator has his answers, he and his second, with Connolly's help, move the man with the bullet wound down to the pilot boat before returning for two of the men who were hit with particles of WP, both of them from the Crocodile, inlcuding its skipper. This leaves nine prisoners, including one with badly burned hands and four others suffering the after effects of accute smoke inhalation. They cough periodically, big, painful racking coughs. Some oxygen would help, but that would deplete the Krolowa's sole remaining SCUBA tank.

The pilot boat departs, leaving the Krolowa in sole possession of this stretch of the river.

-

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:53, Sun 14 Apr 2013.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 121 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Mon 15 Apr 2013
at 01:11
Re: Negotiations
Thijs watched the pilot boat until it sailed out of sight, keeping the starboard DShK trained on the craft all the while.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1581 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 15 Apr 2013
at 07:45
Re: Negotiations
Jan was mildly annoyed that the Russian negotiator had blanked him and ignored his attempt to extract information about other traffic on the river, either pirates or merchants, but that was they way of many officers, particularly Russian ones.  The deal looked to be a good one though and Jan wondered what reception they would have received from the Torun garrison if they had not met the Russian deserters first.  The deserters had conducted themselves well as soldiers and the Torun garrison seemed to be doing the same so Jan wondered whether they would have received a friendly welcome in Torun had they not become entangled with the deserters first.

That was assuming that the Torun garrison weren't setting up a very elaborate trap.  Regardless of anything else the Queen still had to pass under a couple of bridges in Torun and that put them at great risk, particularly if the were towing a badly damaged vessel like the Crocodile.

When it came to shipboard duties and stations Jan followed Konrad and Griet's instructions about where he should be.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1514 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 15 Apr 2013
at 13:04
Re: Negotiations
If he's not needed to watch the remaining prisoner's, Tucker will be working his way around the decks to make sure the Queen's weapons are in working order.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 787 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 15 Apr 2013
at 15:33
Re: Negotiations
"We'll meet you at the gunboat in the morning," Griet said, "we'll be ashore cutting wood and you can call us as soon as you want the tow."

As soon as the Soviets had gone, Griet said, "OK, I need anyone with explosives experience to brief me on the feasibility of rigging the lines that connect us to the Crocodile to explode if we need to break away. I'd like to be able to break contact quickly if we can."
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 540 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Mon 15 Apr 2013
at 20:09
Re: Negotiations
Jay had some combat engineering experience. He was no expert, but knew his way around things that went bang. When Griet quizzed him about rigging the lines he thought for a moment. "What we tow with? Rope? Chain?"
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 52 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Tue 16 Apr 2013
at 00:04
Re: Negotiations
Connolly frowns in thought at Griet's question. "You might want to ask Kel and Mac.  They don't know demo but they've sling-loaded enough crap under helicopters to be decent riggers.  One of them might know a trick that would keep us from having to use explosives on the deck."

She stands, cracks her back, and raises her binoculars to scan the shoreline.  "Where do you need me when we go to action stations?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2837 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 16 Apr 2013
at 02:42
Raising the Crocodile

With the departure of the negotiator, the Krolowa's crew raises anchors and Griet turns the tug about for the short trip upriver to the Crocodile's nest. The Krolowa's decks are shrouded in white, except for the bare patches of deck where walkways have been blazed through the snow by frequent foot traffic.

There's at least three or four inches of snow on the ground, both banks stark white against the grey-brown of the Vistula. A wood lines the river here along the west bank, thick enough, despite naked branches, to conceal whatever lies only a few meters within. This looks like a good place to gather wood, although whatever you manage to collect will most likely be somewhat damp.

The Crocodile comes into view, close by the west bank. It too is blanketed in white. The sun will set soon and, with the heavy cloud cover and falling snow, it will be dark early this evening.


Next Moves?
Daniel Larue
 player, 312 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Tue 16 Apr 2013
at 03:14
Re: Raising the Crocodile
Danny checks on his patients - Bayer first, then the Russians - before leaving them in Carlisle's care. After giving the sky a critical glare, he layers up, then slings Winona and heads out to assemble with the rest of the woodcutting team.  "Oh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay," he sings under his breath as he passes Craig.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1582 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 16 Apr 2013
at 09:08
Re: Raising the Crocodile
Dressed in his thermal fatigues as protection against the cold Jan scanned the land around the beached Crocodile, using his binoculars to pick out details.

"The Torun garrison have had time to send troops here to ambush us while we collect wood and work on their boat.  We should send a patrol ashore to search around first before we start work.  Any tracks should be easy to see."

Jan was a naturally suspicious man.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 788 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 16 Apr 2013
at 15:37
Re: Raising the Crocodile
"It'll be a mix of chains and ropes," Griet said, "we won't have enough rope to secure it firmly."

"Our best bet will be to tie her to our side to give us the best traction. We'd need four points of contact. One fore and aft and two on the side bollards."

She looked over at the Kaptain and said, "There's time for a clearing patrol whilst I get the logging team together if you want."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1515 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 16 Apr 2013
at 23:05
Re: Raising the Crocodile
Jan Cerny:
Dressed in his thermal fatigues as protection against the cold Jan scanned the land around the beached Crocodile, using his binoculars to pick out details.

"The Torun garrison have had time to send troops here to ambush us while we collect wood and work on their boat.  We should send a patrol ashore to search around first before we start work.  Any tracks should be easy to see."

"Count me in," Tucker says after taking a pull off of one of his cigars.
Minh Quyen
 player, 689 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 18 Apr 2013
at 06:47
Re: Negotiations
Griet Niewiadomska:
</DarkBlue>As soon as the Soviets had gone, Griet said, "OK, I need anyone with explosives experience to brief me on the feasibility of rigging the lines that connect us to the Crocodile to explode if we need to break away. I'd like to be able to break contact quickly if we can."


While puffing on her smoke Quyen asks "How much explosive do you have? I only have a couple sticks of dynamite left over."

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 06:48, Thu 18 Apr 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 791 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 18 Apr 2013
at 15:26
Re: Negotiations
"Six sticks of dynamite, two C4 blocks and twelve blasting caps," Griet replied, "if it's not feasible don't worry but it would be a useful contingency."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1859 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 18 Apr 2013
at 19:18
Re: Raising the Crocodile
Griet Niewiadomska:
She looked over at the Kaptain and said, "There's time for a clearing patrol whilst I get the logging team together if you want."


Bayer had just recently returned topside from a brief rest following his dental work. Groggy and lethargic, he glances over at Griet and says while moving his jaw as little as possible, "Jan can handle it." He then looks over at the man himself, realizing he is there with them and says, "Jan, handle the patrol. Six men."

Bayer then leans up against the side of the wheelhouse and looks out the window. When Griet asks about the idea of setting charges, he gives Quyen a look to gauge her response. Bayer then asks, "Can you do it? With using only a little explosives?"

This message was last edited by the player at 19:19, Thu 18 Apr 2013.

Craig Sutherland
 player, 640 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 19 Apr 2013
at 00:44
Re: Raising the Crocodile

Craig made himself available for either the patrol or helping rig the explosives on the tow ropes and chains. He had not done this precise type of job before but a cutting charge was a cutting charge.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 792 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 19 Apr 2013
at 16:08
Re: Raising the Crocodile
"Jay," Griet said, "take your patrol in on the Princess. Once you've secured the area we will pull in to the bank and use the corvus to land the logging party, that way it'll be easier to load the wood."

"As for the cutting charge," Griet said, "the charge itself will be simple, a ring of C4 a couple of centimeters thick will cut the rope hawsers and double that will do a chain. The detonation is the problem as wiring and water don't always mix."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1588 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 19 Apr 2013
at 17:39
Re: Raising the Crocodile
"Ok," replied Jan to Konrad and Griet.  "I will take Tuck, Danny, Thijs, Mariusz and Jay or Craig if you can spare one of them from setting up the explosive release.  If you can not then I will take Jeff instead.  Who will drive the small boat for us?"

As the members of the clearing patrol got themselves organised Jan conferred briefly with each of them.  "Make sure that you only bring gear for fighting.  We will not go far and if we encounter opposition we will withdraw back to the boat and reassess."

He then sorted out his own equipment, reducing it to as minimal a load as he could force himself to live with.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1156 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 19 Apr 2013
at 21:30
Re: Raising the Crocodile
MAriusz grabbed his kit and got ready for the journey to the shore.
Anders Mattson
 player, 79 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Fri 19 Apr 2013
at 22:04
Re: Raising the Crocodile
"Captain", the Finn said standing in the corner. "I am not a demolition expert, but I can help to rig the lines. I know how they work and can be of use." The Finn was, after all, a sailor.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 543 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sat 20 Apr 2013
at 10:12
Re: Raising the Crocodile
Jay volunteered for the patrol, preferring to be on dry land. He readied his gear and prepared to head out.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2840 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 20 Apr 2013
at 18:25
Re: Raising the Crocodile

While part of the commando works on a quick-release demo charge for the tow (rope or chain?), Mariusz ferries the clearing partrol to shore in the Princess. After securing the launch on the riverbank, the clearing patrol spreads into formation and heads towards the nearby woods. The trees there are mostly dead, silent grey sentinels of bleeched wood standing or fallen, dusted in white. It's a pretty good place to lurk in ambush and Jan leads his team foward cautiously. They arrive at the treeline unscathed and then enter the tangle of wood. The snow under the trees is uneven on the ground but it hasn't been disturbed and Jan feels fairly certain that no one has been in the area since the current snowfall began. He pushes through the woods to the road beyond. It too shows no sign of human passage, although Jay does spot what appear to be some deer tracks, probably no more than an hour or so old. The area seems quiet and secure, so Jay leads the team back to the launch. By the time they arrive at the riverbank, it has grown dark. With the thick overhead cloud cover, there will be very little natural light tonight.


Next Moves?


OOC: I still need to know where the tug is anchored relative to the beached monitor and the riverbank.
Craig Sutherland
 player, 641 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 20 Apr 2013
at 23:24
Re: Raising the Crocodile
When he was not assigned to the patrol Craig sought out Minh and lent a hand getting the demo gear out so they could see what they where dealing with.

Once it was laid out he asked Minh:

"Standard det cord/blasting cap, do you have a blasting machine or ignitors ?  We could use a M1 delay detonator if you have one then we would just need some wire."

He started to help putting the charge together and then waited while to lines were tied on.

"Should we put a charge in the monitor blow it if it goes pear shaped and put it on the river bottom ?"
Minh Quyen
 player, 690 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 21 Apr 2013
at 05:05
Re: Raising the Crocodile
Craig Sutherland:
"Standard det cord/blasting cap, do you have a blasting machine or ignitors ?  We could use a M1 delay detonator if you have one then we would just need some wire."


Quyen tags a long drag on her cigarrete before answering in a cloud of exhaled smoke "I some have dynamite. No machine. But fuse that can be lit to blow up the dynamite and some C4 packed around it. I think it will work." She then flicks off some ashes and says "Shaped charged, yeah? To cut the chain. I think we should place the charge on the monitor so we do not damage our boat. We'll also get to keep most of the towing cable that way."

She answers the last question "I don't know. Unless the Hauptmann or Griet say I think we shouldn't bother... to keep the last of our explosives for something else. I am almost out. Sunk or not I don't think it will affect us anymore."

Quyen will then get to work straight away. She appreciates the help of Craig and will defer everything she does for him to double check. The charge (a ring of C4 around the cable with a stick of dynamite) will be tempered with sandbags and whatever other heavy disposable items she can find and place on the monitor. The fuse will be strung back to the Queen to be lit if it comes to that.

Using 1x Dynamite, some fuse, and however much C4 is needed

This message was last edited by the player at 05:06, Sun 21 Apr 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 793 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 21 Apr 2013
at 08:44
Re: Raising the Crocodile
Griet watched the patrol heading out and held the Queen about a two hundred meters off the riverbank and a hundred meters off the Crocodile. She held the Queen ready to move closer to support the patrol should it need help.
Daniel Larue
 player, 315 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 21 Apr 2013
at 20:36
Re: Raising the Crocodile
Danny takes a sip of water from his Camelbak, drops to a knee behind a fallen log, and points Winona outward, scanning the area for movement.  "Awright, guys," he murmurs, "everyone doin' okay?  If you're sweating, change your base layer once we're back aboard.  I'm tired of dealin' with hypothermia cases."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1592 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 07:18
Re: Raising the Crocodile
It seemed that his concern about the Russians setting some kind of ambush by the beached Monitor was proving unfounded.  The clearing patrol had discovered no sign of recent manmade tracks in the snow and it was highly unlikely that an enemy force could have gotten into place and set up before the snow had started falling.

He radioed in what they had discovered. "Konrad, Jan here.  Shoreline seems clear.  No sign of recent tracks.  Do you want us to set up an OP or all come back?"

While he waited for Konrad to reply Jan muttered to the rest of the patrol, who were spread out in an all round defence with him at the centre.  "In the morning a pair of us should hunt some deer.  We could do with the meat."

He also glanced around for signs of rabbit droppings or tracks, wondering whether it was worth setting some snares.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1520 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 12:16
Re: Raising the Crocodile
Robert gets his basic gear ready for the patrol ashore with the rest of the shore party.  He knows that it should only be a day long patrol at the most so he takes rations and water for two days, warm clothing (plus a change), and weapons and ammo.  Once they're able to take a break, Tucker makes sure he hydrates and checks his clothing and gear while holed up behind some hard cover.  "Doing good so far Danny."

"Some fresh meat wouldn't be a bad idea Jan if we can find some."
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 124 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 16:33
Re: Raising the Crocodile
Thijs has no choice but to take what he is wearing, plus his LBE, leaving the butt pack with his pistol and partial snail drum on board the Krolowa.  Danny's comment inspires him to say, "That reminds me -- when we get back on board, I will have to see if there is any clothing gone spare.  Everything else I had but what I am wearing got left behind in Plock.  I don't even have any rations with me."

At Jan's statement about hunting deer, Thijs grins and replies, "I do not think you would want me as a hunter.  Fully automatic fire on a deer might not leave much meat.  Hah!"
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 545 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 16:48
Re: Raising the Crocodile
Jay led the patrol team around quietly, taking point most of the way. As they moved he indicated some game tracks that were reasonably fresh.

When Jan made a suggestion about returning in the morning he indicated he would happily join a hunting party. He was an experienced hunter, although deer was bit different to wild yak. A brace of rabbits would also be good to supplement their diet, if snares were available. Even wild rats would be good. Some might find them unappetising but they were much tastier than their city-dwelling vermin cousins.
Daniel Larue
 player, 318 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 17:04
Re: Raising the Crocodile
Danny glances at Thijs. "Yeah, dude.  There's a couple of baskets of spare clothes that Mariusz has been mending.  I think he and I are the only ones who really know how to use a needle and thread.  Take whatever you need."

He faces outward again and scratches his jaw in thought.  "We should do something about patrol rations, too.  No one's making PowerBars any more.  Jay, if you can get a deer, I think I remember my granddad's pemmican recipe.  That's some good shit.  No pigeon berries around here, but there's a bag of dried cranberries in the galley."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:04, Mon 22 Apr 2013.

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1157 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 17:16
Re: Raising the Crocodile
"I've been stowing lard and fat too," Mariusz said, "you'll probably need it if the deer don't have much fat. When we cut the trees down we can target pines, strip them of needles for tea and peel away the inner bark and I can make dried pine chips or pine flour: there's a shed load of vitamin C in there too."

"Like Danny said," Mariusz continued, "there's a large amount of spare clothing in the laundry. I've washed them, deloused them and patched them up. I can probably do alterations if you need them."
Daniel Larue
 player, 319 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Mon 22 Apr 2013
at 19:37
Re: Raising the Crocodile
"Yeah, you're a lot better than me," Danny comments.  "I got my start doing sutures and working on the squadron's nylon gear. My stitches ain't the prettiest.  I still have a couple of upholstering needles and some Kevlar thread, so I can modify web gear if you need a weird-sized mag pouch or something."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:38, Mon 22 Apr 2013.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1860 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 23 Apr 2013
at 00:26
Re: Raising the Crocodile
Jan Cerny:
He radioed in what they had discovered. "Konrad, Jan here.  Shoreline seems clear.  No sign of recent tracks.  Do you want us to set up an OP or all come back?"


Bayer raises his handset and replies, "Sunray. Negative on the OP. Over."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:26, Tue 23 Apr 2013.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2843 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 23 Apr 2013
at 01:58
From Dusk 'til Dawn

With Konrad nixing the OP, Jan and recon team return to the Krolowa. At some point, in the early evening, the snow has stopped falling, but no one could say exactly when it ceased. Despite their multiple layers of cold-weather gear, the recon team is chilled to the bone. The tug's outer surface seems to absorb, magnify, and then reflect the cold. The interior of the tug, warmed by run-off steam from the boilers, beckons seductively.

As darkness descends, a few stars can be glimpsed from time to time through small, ephemeral breaks in the clouds. Still, there's very little natural light. The snow that blankets the open ground near the riverbank reflects what little starlight there is, making it hard for NVGs to penetrate the shadows beyond the treeline.

The Soviet pilot boat, with a salvage/repair team on board, is scheduled to arrive in the morning, an hour or two after dawn. As per established protocol, they will be radioing ahead prior to their arrival.

(OOC: Sorry to bog y'all down with administrative details but I need to know who's on what watch and how much sleep each security team member expects to get during the night. Also, what time is morning stand to? Lastly, I need to know what time foraging and hunting parties plan to set out in the morning- at the very least, I need to know whether they plan on going ashore before or after the pilot boat arrives. Thanks.)


Updated Map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.020161,0.066047


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:09, Tue 23 Apr 2013.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 546 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Tue 23 Apr 2013
at 05:54
Re: From Dusk 'til Dawn
Jay volunteered for first watch. He wanted to be up early to go hunting. If there were deer out there then dawn would be a good time to track them.

When they got back to the Queen he went to the armoury to check what hunting rifles were available.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 794 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Tue 23 Apr 2013
at 15:54
Re: From Dusk 'til Dawn
Griet conferred with Konrad over the next day's foraging, "I think we should set breakfast for thirty minutes before dawn and then have the logging party sent ashore at dawn. We'll need a good four hours to get a decent amount of wood on and we also need to be ready if the salvage team are quicker than we think."
Jeff D. Warren
 player, 525 posts
 American - CIA
 Special Operations Group
Wed 24 Apr 2013
at 01:06
Re: From Dusk 'til Dawn
Warren finds Bayer (or Jan) before his watch rotation comes up.

"If you don't mind, Cappy, I'll go along with the hunters. I'm gettin' a bit stir crazy and it might help if I had the chance to stretch my legs a bit and maybe shoot something."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2845 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 25 Apr 2013
at 15:49
Red Sky at Morning...

The night passes uneventfully and everyone is able to get at least a few hours of uninterrupted sleep. Breakfast is self-serve and not even half as good as when Mariusz is able to spend some time in the galley. The bloody red disc of the rising sun climbs above the eastern horizon, it's rays casting the snow that blankets both banks in a sanguine glow. The sky is half-cloudy and half-clear, making it hard to tell what the weather holds for the rest of the day. It is still bone-chillingly cold, though, and you can even see some ice forming where the water meets the land.

Torun calls shortly before sunrise, informing the tug that the salvage crew will be arriving on site in about an hour.

The hunting/wood gathering party bundles up against the cold and climbs aboard the Princess. Mariusz ferries the group (consisting of Jan, Tuck, Danny, Thijs, Jay, and Warren*) to the shore, passing the silent, snow-covered carcass of the Crocodile. They climb up the slippery bank and move towards the nearby treeline.

Tucker spots a large grey squirrel on a fallen branch; it takes a second for his conscious mind to recognize the shape for what it truly is- an Ushanka partly concealed by a white hood. He shouts a warning and throws himself forward just as the treeline explodes in a cacophany of gunfire. Somehow, only Warren is hit in the sudden storm of lead that pours from the treeline- he drops to his knees, clutching at his throat as streams of crimson blood pulse from a neck wound. A second round catches him in the head, knocking him backwards and ending his panic, confusion, and pain. Despite the surprise and proximity of the ambush, the rest of the team is miraculously unscathed (although several of you later find bullet holes in your coats and LBE); they drop into the snow, effectively pinned down by the heavy volume of incoming fire. Bullets buzz and crack past just centimeters over your heads. The enemy shooters are no more than 30m away, just inside the edge of the dead wood. It's hard to be sure, but it sounds like there at least a dozen men shooting at you from the treeline.

Those who remained aboard the tug are startled by the sudden fusilade. At the moment, all of the fire seems to be directed against the shore team but, of course, that could change at any moment.


Updated tac-map: https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.005216,0.016512


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:59, Thu 25 Apr 2013.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1861 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 25 Apr 2013
at 16:17
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
"Stand to." Bayer says calmly, but loud enough for those around him on the tug to pass it on. He was little annoyed that he absentmindedly deployed both NCOs ashore, so he turns to Craig to crack the whip and get the weapons covered, "Lieutenant Sutherland... get the guns manned and HE loaded."

He then places his helmet on his head and moves quickly to the bridge, toggling his radio on the move, "Jan. Sunray. Sent contact report. Over."

When Bayer enters the bridge he says to Connolly, "Get on the radio and tell the Russians to stay out of sight or we'll open fire on them."

"How long until we're mobile?"
he asks Griet.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:18, Thu 25 Apr 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 795 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Thu 25 Apr 2013
at 16:26
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
"I can give you full power as soon as you need it," Griet said, "we're still between power-downs. Casting off now."

Griet pressed the switches to retrieve the anchors and then signalled the boilers to pour on more power.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 549 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Thu 25 Apr 2013
at 19:15
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
As the bullets started to fly, Jay immediately dove for cover. He felt the warm spray of blood spatter across his arm as one of the team got hit. He responded immediately, launching a 40mm grenade in the rough direction of the firing before spraying a couple of bursts of suppressive fire towards the enemy.

Jay Byanjankar
Shore party
Prone, firing GL then a couple of bursts at enemy
AK-74 / BG-15 - 30/30 + HE

Jan Cerny
 player, 1595 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Thu 25 Apr 2013
at 23:02
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
When the bullets started flying Jan immediately dived into cover, hugging the cold, snow spattered ground, as everyone reacted to the initial phase of the ambush they had stumbled into, with what looked like fatal results already.  Someone was down and Jan was fairly certain that it was Jeff and that it was serious from the way he had fallen.

"Rapid fire!" he yelled at the others scattered around him.  "Fire superiority!  We need fire superiority!"

He then pulled one of his smoke grenades from his webbing, pulled the pin and tried to throw it a dozen or so meters forward of his position, trying to land it between the enemy ambushers and his comrades and himself in an attempt to give them some cover to check Jeff and potentially even withdraw.  Breaking contact with the ambush was going to be difficult though as the enemy marksmen were able to easily pick them off if they attempted to get back into the boat.

Jan then ducked down low and toggled his radio so that he could report in.  "Sunray.  Contact front.  Edge treeline.  Estimate ten plus.  One man down.  Jeff.  Probably KIA.  Need covering fire.  Jan out!"

He then shouldered his rifle and fired his rifle grenade through the billowing smoke at where some of the enemy were firing from.

Maybe pulling back into the monitor was a better option, assuming that it wasn't now occupied by enemy troops as well!


Jan
Lying prone
Yelling some orders, throwing a smoke grenade, reporting in to Konrad and then firing a 40mmS HE grenade at the enemy
AK-74 (30/30 rnds - 11x 30rnd mags in total) - held
BG-15 (1/1 HE Grenade - 19x HE Grenades in total) - underslung
Sig Sauer P226 - (15/15 rnds - 4x 15rnd mags in total) - holster
Frag Grenade x2
Smoke Grenade (Coloured) x2
Hunting Knife

Daniel Larue
 player, 321 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Fri 26 Apr 2013
at 00:04
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Danny hears the gurgle of a trachea hit and turns toward the sound.  He comes around in time to see Warren's head jerk away from the second round's impact.  The agent slumps backward.  Danny takes two steps toward him, dives, slides through the snow, and comes up over Warren's motionless chest, reaching for the first grenade on Warren's harness.  He picks a cluster of muzzle flashes and throws, then ducks back down to confirm what he already knows.  The trickling blood from a wound that should still be pulsing and the tissue spattered around the exit hole in Warren's helmet are all the diagnostic signs he needs. Fuck.  "Jan!  Warren's gone!"  Winona steadies across Warren's torso and tracks on the right side of the enemy line...

Danny
Winona [30/30 + 5 magazines] - ready, on AUTO
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

using the casualty as cover, borrowing a random grenade, and confirming Warren's status

Craig Sutherland
 player, 643 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 26 Apr 2013
at 00:20
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 544):

Craig runs to get the mortar loaded and orientated calling its crew to station. He then makes sure everyone has their helmets and kevlar on.
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 55 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Fri 26 Apr 2013
at 00:29
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Connolly is finishing breakfast and silently cursing the ache in her ankle as she climbs to the bridge.  The gunfire almost makes her choke on a final mouthful of biscuit.  She coughs, rolls her eyes in disgust, swallows, steps through the door, and rinses her mouth with a swig of something that could charitably be called tea.  "Horse piss," she growls.  She slips past Griet to grab the intercom's microphone.  With her other hand, she bumps the lip of her empty mug into the volume slider.  "All hands, stand to," she rasps, passing on Bayer's order at a volume guaranteed to awaken anyone still in his bunk.  "Action starboard, action starboard.  Gunners up."

She clears her throat and nods to Bayer as he enters the bridge, then swaps microphones.  She checks the frequency and schools her voice to a crisp and blasé tone.  "Torun salvage, Torun salvage, this is Vistula Queen. Be advised, we are in contact with unidentified forces.  Stand off beyond visual range until further notice.  Acknowledge immediately.  Over."

Boots
M11 [13/13 + 2 magazines] - holstered, loaded but decocked

running comms

This message was last edited by the player at 14:22, Sat 27 Apr 2013.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1524 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Fri 26 Apr 2013
at 00:38
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Tucker focuses his eyes on something that he thought was something else, goes into reaction mode when he sees it is something completely different.  He immediately dives for cover and brings his 40mm grenade launcher  up on the biggest group of ambushers (if can be discerned) and fires an HE round at the location.  Robert will then begin to return fire in burst (three-round) at them.

TUCKER
- M16A2 / M-203: [30/30] / M-203 HE Loaded - Current primary {[3] Round Burst}
- H&K MK23 SOCOM (Suppressed) [12+1/12 + [(x2) 12/12 Mag pouch]] -
   Holstered
- Browning HP [13/13] Holstered (Vest)

Starting off his return fire with an HE round at the enemy position, especially if he can see where the biggest concentration of the ambushers are.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2846 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 26 Apr 2013
at 01:07
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly:
"Torun salvage, Torun salvage, this is Vistula Queen. Be advised, we are in contact with unidentified forces.  Stand off beyond visual range until further notice.  Acknowledge immediately.  Over."


There's a pause of a few seconds, filled by the urgent multi-layered popping of gunfire from outside, before the radio responds,

"Vistula Queen, this is Torun Salvage. We are very close. Er, we can help? Over."

Connolly can't be sure if the last bit was an inquiry or a statement of intent.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:07, Fri 26 Apr 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 796 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 26 Apr 2013
at 15:31
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Once the anchors had released the Queen, Griet planned to turn the tug to face the fire fight and head for it so that the guns aboard could support the ground team.
Anders Mattson
 player, 80 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Fri 26 Apr 2013
at 16:17
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Anders scrambled to the twin-23mm AA-gun - due to the proximity of the shore party he considered using the Vasilek far too dangerous even though the Sergei was far less protected with no gunshield. The ammo box in front of the gunner's seat did help, though. He slammed the can into the bracket with several years of experience with the said weapon and pulled the cocking chain, then ran around the weapon and repeated the operation for the other barrel before jumping in to the gunner's seat. He'd have only a few seconds of continuous fire before the weapon ran out of rounds - but in capable hands, that'd be more than enough. "Sergei ready. Can you illuminate", the intercom cracked at the bridge.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 797 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Fri 26 Apr 2013
at 16:41
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Griet heard Anders call, wondering what would happen next.

"Kaptain Bayer," she said, "do you want me to turn around to let the Zoo-Two fire?"
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 125 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Fri 26 Apr 2013
at 18:54
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Thijs unfolded his bipod, dove to the right, and went prone, readying his Canadian-made automatic rifle and aiming toward the muzzle flashes of the ambush group. He then opened up with a long burst of suppressive fire, sweeping from right to left toward the center of the group.

Thijs
Shore Party, Right Flank, prone
C7A1 LSW [90/90 +(6x30)] on bipod
Laying down suppressive fire from
enemy's left flank toward center

Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1158 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Fri 26 Apr 2013
at 21:23
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Mariusz got down low in the Princess and headed out into the river as he aimed to put the Queen between him and the fire fight.
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 57 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sat 27 Apr 2013
at 14:26
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
On the verge of snapping an order to steer clear, Connolly recognizes the voice and pauses.  Diplomacy, Boots.  It's that thing no one else around here does.  Yesterday, the Russian had seemed… reasonable, for someone who'd have tried to kill her under different circumstances.  She re-frames her response.  "Negative, Torun.  Please stand off.  We have troops in contact and we don't want any misunderstandings."

As she releases the microphone key, an unpleasant thought occurs to her.  She retrieves the intercom mic again and glances around to see who's already on a gun and who's free for another task.  "Carlisle, McClurg, Kellerman - report on prisoner status."

Boots
M11 [13/13 + 2 magazines] - holstered, loaded but decocked

doing the talky talk

This message was last edited by the player at 14:31, Sat 27 Apr 2013.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2848 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 27 Apr 2013
at 18:39
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly:
On the verge of snapping an order to steer clear, Connolly recognizes the voice and pauses.  Diplomacy, Boots.  It's that thing no one else around here does.  Yesterday, the Russian had seemed… reasonable, for someone who'd have tried to kill her under different circumstances.  She re-frames her response.  "Negative, Torun.  Please stand off.  We have troops in contact and we don't want any misunderstandings."


The negotiator's response is much quicker this time.

"Er, we copy you. Will stand off and wait for further instructions. Torun salvage out."

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly:
As she releases the microphone key, an unpleasant thought occurs to her.  She retrieves the intercom mic again and glances around to see who's already on a gun and who's free for another task.  "Carlisle, McClurg, Kellerman - report on prisoner status."


It takes a couple of seconds before McClurg replies, "They're looking nervous as hell, but they're still behaving themselves. I'm the only one down here, though."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2849 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 27 Apr 2013
at 19:23
Re: Red Sky at Morning...

Despite the storm of lead ripping through the air all around them, the shore party returns fire, opting for quantity over quality, trying to suppress enough enemy fire to allow them to withdraw without taking any more casualties.

Jan tosses a smoke grenade forward, landing it about twenty meters in front of where the team is pinned. It quickly starts spewing forth a thick cloud of purple. He follows this with a grenade, aimed more or less at the treeline past the spreading smoke. The CRACK-BOOM of the exploding grenade sounds close, suggesting a good hit. (Jan -40mmS)

Thijs dives forward and quickly deploys his LSW. He picks out the first muzzle flash he sees and fires, holding the trigger back as he sweeps the treeline from right to left. Something stings Thij's left ass cheek. He knows that he's been hit, but, for the moment, assumes that it's just a graze. (Thijs -10 rounds; WIA, wound severity unknown pending skill check)

Tucker fires a grenade from his M203. It explodes in a treetop above the enemy muzzle flashes, likely showering the enemy below with both shrapnel and splinters. (Tucker -40mmN, -9 rounds)

Jay too fires a grenade, it lands at the base of the trees right next to a muzzle flash. When it explodes a rifle cartwheels away, landing a couple of meters away. Jay follows up the grenade with a couple of quick burst from his AK. Jay feels a tug at his right heel as something hits his boot. There's no pain at all so Jay nearly forgets all about it as he returns fire. (Jay -40mmS, -10 rounds)

Danny confirms that Warren is indeed dead. He relieves a frag from the CIA man's webbing and tosses it towards the treeline. There've been a bevy of explosions in the last few seconds, but the frag doesn't seem to have been one of them. It was probably a dud, or else Danny forgot to pull the pin in his haste. (Warren -1 frag)

In just a few second, the volume of enemy fire has dropped off considerably- maybe a half-dozen automatic weapons instead of twice that initially. Some of the gunfire is replaced by urgent shouting or screams of pain. Much of the treeline immediately opposite the proned out shore team is now obscurred by purple smoke. Anyone continuing to fire (on either side) will essentially be shooting blind for the next sixty seconds at least. This would be a propitious time to either withdraw to the relative cover of the dipping riverbank or to press the issue and assault the treeline.

The tug meanwhile weighs anchor and begins to manouver, turning to head directly towards the firefight. Mariusz rushes back in the Princess to shelter in the larger metal vessel's shadow. He's not quite there yet, but he should be soon. At the moment, only the ZU-23-2 is crewed, and it is now being swung away from the firefight. The Vasilek is loaded with HE but currently unmanned. Both of the aforementioned weapons systems are mounted low and would have to fire right over, and possibly even through, the friendlies on the bank in order to hit the treeline. The HMGs or the AGL, mounted higher up on the tug's superstructure, are probably a better option, but neither are presently being manned. Long rounds zip past the tug. One or two even pancake off of the metal superstructure. A cloud of purple smoke is starting to obscure the treeline from which the enemy fire appears to be coming.


Next Moves?
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 551 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Sat 27 Apr 2013
at 20:38
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Deciding that volume of fire was vital in order to gain superiority of the situation, Jay pressed the issue. He rolled to the side to find slightly better cover, then continued firing. He tired to pick his targets, looking for muzzle flashes before firing a series of short bursts.

Jay Byanjankar
Shore party
Prone, rolling to the side then firing a series of aimed bursts
AK-74 / BG-15 - 30/20 + 0xHE

Craig Sutherland
 player, 645 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 27 Apr 2013
at 21:54
Re: Red Sky at Morning...

Realising he has very limited skill on the Mortar and with most of the crew on the beach Craig ops for the AGS-17 AGL which is closer. He makes a quick visual check before pulling back the bolt to chamber a grenade.

He then begins firing the AGL through the smoke cloud and into the tree line firing slightly high so the grenades explode above the attackers against the trees. He fires from left to right trying to spot any muzzle flashes or any other tell tale signs of the enemy.

Weatherdeck AGS-17 AGL
Firing on tree line

This message was last edited by the player at 02:34, Sun 28 Apr 2013.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1596 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sat 27 Apr 2013
at 22:53
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Jan hadn't known the CIA man for long and had often thought that Jeff made claims and promises that he couldn't fulfil but he had liked Jeff as a person and he was angry that he had been killed in this ambush, as Danny had now confirmed.  He wanted to kill as many of the ambushes as possible and also capture a prisoner or two so that they could interrogate them to find out whether there was any link with the Torun garrison.

He also needed to get everyone else out of the kill zone they were currently in without taking further casualties.

A quick glance around revealed that Thijs was on the right flank laying down suppressive fire and a quick plan formed in Jan's mind.

"Everyone but Thijs flank right!" he bellowed over the sound of rapid firing and explosions as he reloaded his grenade launcher with a fresh round from the grenade belt attached to his Lifchik harness.  "Thijs is the anchor point.  Swing round behind him and then engage from cover.  Thijs, keep laying down suppressive fire.  Everyone else get moving!"

His grenade launcher reloaded Jan then fired a pair of bursts through the rapidly expanding cloud of purple smoke before he started scrambling to the right, moving back towards the river a little to ensure that he passed behind Thijs.


Jan
Issuing orders, reloading his BG-15, firing two 5rnd bursts through the smoke and then scrambling to the right, swinging round behind Thijs
AK-74 (30/30 rnds - 11x 30rnd mags in total) - held
BG-15 (0/1 HE Grenade - 18x HE Grenades in total) - underslung
Sig Sauer P226 - (15/15 rnds - 4x 15rnd mags in total) - holster
Frag Grenade x2
Smoke Grenade (Coloured) x1
Hunting Knife

Daniel Larue
 player, 322 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 28 Apr 2013
at 00:43
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
As Jan scrambles behind him, Danny glances to his left to confirm that he's now anchoring the left side of the line.  He snaps a trio of quick shots at the largest muzzle flash he can see, then pats Warren's chest and pushes to his feet.  "Moving!" he yells.  Hunching low as a bar of Dishka tracers snaps overhead, he scuttles to the right.  As he passes the next man in line, Tuck, he stretches out his arm and smacks the platoon sergeant's boot.  "Last man, Tenth Mountain!  Move!"

Danny
Winona [30/30 + 5 magazines] - ready, on SEMI
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

three single shots at the best available target, then moving to follow Jan

This message was last edited by the player at 18:16, Sun 28 Apr 2013.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 58 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sun 28 Apr 2013
at 00:52
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
"Thank you, Torun," Connolly transmits.  "We'll advise as soon as the area is secure.  Queen out."

She switches back to the intercom.  "Copy, Mac. I'm on my way."  Releasing the transmit key, she glances over at Bayer.  "Regardless of who this is, I don't think we want another fight for control of the boat.  I'm going to make sure those guys don't try anything."

Boots
M11 [13/13 + 2 magazines] - holstered, loaded but decocked

heading for the prisoners, collecting Minh and/or Carlisle as she goes

This message was last edited by the player at 00:56, Sun 28 Apr 2013.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1526 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sun 28 Apr 2013
at 17:01
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Daniel Larue:
As Jan scrambles behind him, Danny glances to his left to confirm that he's now anchoring the left side of the line.  He snaps a trio of quick shots at the largest muzzle flash he can see, then pats Warren's chest and pushes to his feet.  "Moving!" he yells.  Hunching low as a bar of Dishka tracers snaps overhead, he scuttles to the right.  As he passes the next man in line, Tuck, he stretches out his arm and smacks the platoon sergeant's boot.  "Last man, Tenth Mountain!  Move!"

With the smoke beginning to give them a little relief and their return fire seems to have brought the ambushers rate of fire down, Tucker begins to reload his M-203 with another HE round as Danny taps his leg.  Once the oversized shell casing is out of the chamber and the fresh one in the tube, Robert gets to his knees and finishes the loading calling out, "Moving!"  He follows the rest of the team (behind Danny) to flank the ambushers and get some answers.  There can be time to mourn the dead later...

TUCKER
- M16A2 / M-203: [21/30] / M-203 HE Loaded (Currently Reloading)- Current primary
 {[3] Round Burst}
- H&K MK23 SOCOM (Suppressed) [12+1/12 + [(x2) 12/12 Mag pouch]] -
   Holstered
- Browning HP [13/13] Holstered (Vest)

Reloading his M-203 grenade launcher with another HE round and moving behind Danny to flank the ambushers.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:03, Sun 28 Apr 2013.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 127 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Sun 28 Apr 2013
at 20:04
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Jan Cerny:
"Thijs, keep laying down suppressive fire.  Everyone else get moving!"

Thijs acknowledged Jan's order.  "Ja, maintaining fire.  I am hit!"  Despite the pain in his butt -- which isn't really that bad yet -- he is able to remain prone and continue his suppressive fire, concentrating on any visible muzzle flashes.

Thijs
Shore party, anchoring new left flank
C7A1 LSW [80/90 +(6x30)] on bipod
Maintaining suppressive fire while others shift

This message was last edited by the player at 20:05, Sun 28 Apr 2013.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1599 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 28 Apr 2013
at 21:41
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Thijs van Lincklaen:
Thijs acknowledged Jan's order.  "Ja, maintaining fire.  I am hit!"  Despite the pain in his butt -- which isn't really that bad yet -- he is able to remain prone and continue his suppressive fire, concentrating on any visible muzzle flashes.

Jan glanced at Thijs as the Dutchman fired another burst.

"Are you hurt badly?" he called.  "Can you move if necessary?"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 798 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 28 Apr 2013
at 21:46
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
As Griet began to take the tactical situation caused by the lay of the land, she realised that the upper deck weapons would be safer to use for their troops on shore.

She picked up the intercom and said, "Any unattached hands, man the AGS-17 and port Dushka as a priority. The main deck weapons will endanger our people. I want those weapons manned now, call out as you take them."

Griet looke dover at Walther, "I'm steering so the port Dushka has a field of fire. If no one takes it on in the next thirty seconds, take the wheel and I'll do it."
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2852 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 30 Apr 2013
at 00:38
Re: Red Sky at Morning...

Connolly arrives below deck to find the one-armed McClurg standing guard over nine nervous, almost agitated prisoners. So far, their bonds and McClurg's 12-gauge have assured their continued cooperation. A couple of them look a little disappointed with Connolly's arrival- perhaps they were thinking of trying something.

Craig leaves the Vasilek and climbs the stairways to the bridge roof. There he finds Ryan Carlisle half-sitting, half-laying behind the AGS-17. Carlisle doesn't acknowledge Craig's arrival- in fact, Carlisle doesn't move at all. When Craig pats the American's shoulder, the man slumps backwards, landing with a wet thud on his back. It's then that Craig notices a dark hole where Carlisle's right eye used to be. Craig unceremoniously moves the corpse aside and takes a seat behind the automatic grenade launcher. The treeline where the fire was coming from is obscurred by purple smoke, and the shore party appears to be attempting to manouver to their right.

Jay and Thijs, continue to pump rounds into the treeline, now largely invisible behind a inky wall of purple. The fire is returned blindly as both sides try to establish fire superiority. A bullet strikes Jay's AK, nearly knocking it out of the Gurkha's grip. When he pulls the trigger again, the rifle does not repond. For the moment, only the Dutchman is providing suppressive fire. (Thijs -15 rounds, Jay -5 rounds)

Jan, Danny, and Tucker use the concealment of the smoke and the covering fire of their two companions to attempt a flanking manouver, scrambling to their right after firing off a few more rounds. All three men make it several meters before what looks to be a hand grenade comes sailing over the smoke to land just a couple of meters away from the lead man (Cerny). The grenade explodes almost as soon as it disappears into the snow, knocking the flankers down and spraying them with shrapnel and snowmelt. All three men are shaken by the blast. Ears ringing and a bit disoriented, they each check themselves for penetration injuries. Miraculously, no one appears to have been wounded by the grenade. It looks like their protective gear has done what it was designed to do. The flanking move, however, has been stopped cold. Instead of pressing the advantage, the hostile fire petres out until only a couple of rifles are shooting. (Danny -3 rounds, Jan -6 rounds)


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:39, Tue 30 Apr 2013.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1862 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Tue 30 Apr 2013
at 05:19
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Bayer acknowledges Connolly and frees her up to do what she intends. He then leaves the bridge to deal with the absent weapons. If he finds nobody on the way, something he doesn't expect, he will man the gun himself as a last resort. "Jan... Jan, I need your target clearly marked. You're too close. Over." he says over the radio, while grabbing whoever he finds on his way to the port DSHK.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 552 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Tue 30 Apr 2013
at 06:08
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Jay ducked instinctively as a round pinged off his rifle. When he pulled the trigger again to no effect he said something under his breath. If Thijs did hear what was said he wouldn't have understood, although it was clear that it was less than polite!

With no time to clear a jam right now he slung his rifle over his shoulder and pulled two frag grenades off his webbing. He pulled a pin and tossed one, aiming left, then pulled the other pin and tossed the second, aiming right. He then ducked and pulled his Makarov from its holster. He waited for the grenades to explode then watched for muzzle flashes. If he spotted any he would fire single aimed shots at them, if not he would hold his fire.


Jay Byanjankar
Shore party
Prone, tossing 2 frag grenades, drawing pistol and then taking aimed shots if targets available
AK-74 / BG-15 - 30/15 + 0xHE - STOPPAGE
Makarov 8/8
Frag Grenade x5 x3

Jan Cerny
 player, 1600 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 30 Apr 2013
at 07:11
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
"Tuck.  Danny.  Move past me and then engage.  I am now the anchor point.  Keep flanking right.  Jay.  Thijs, start moving," ordered Jan loudly as he fired a burst in the rough direction the grenade had come from.  "MOVE!" He bellowed emphasising the point.

When Tuck and/or Danny started engaging Jan then quickly used his radio.  "Sunday.  Jan here.  Target other side of purple smoke screen.  Am flanking right to clear your LOS. Still danger close but left hand side of smoke will soon be clear for you to engage.  Over."

Jan then fired another five round burst, ideally picking out someone shooting at them rather than laying down suppressive fire, though he did so if he couldn't see a target.


Jan
Lying prone
Issuing orders, updating Konrad and firing two 5rnd bursts
AK-74 (20/30 rnds - 11x 30rnd mags in total) - held
BG-15 (1/1 HE Grenade - 18x HE Grenades in total) - underslung
Sig Sauer P226 - (15/15 rnds - 4x 15rnd mags in total) - holster
Frag Grenade x2
Smoke Grenade (Coloured) x1
Hunting Knife

Craig Sutherland
 player, 647 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 30 Apr 2013
at 07:36
Re: Red Sky at Morning...

When he hears Griet on the intercom Craig yells;

"Sutherland AGL"

He was not expecting anyone to be manning the grenade launcher let alone someone missing the back of their head. Once he moved the body he lined up the tree line and fired off a burst of grenades. He aimed slightly higher in the hope they would detonate within the trees.

When he got the chance he would radio in a casualty report.

Firing on tree line
Bridge Roof

AGS-17 AGL [32/32]
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1527 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 30 Apr 2013
at 11:28
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Jan Cerny:
"Tuck.  Danny.  Move past me and then engage.  I am now the anchor point.  Keep flanking right.  Jay.  Thijs, start moving," ordered Jan loudly as he fired a burst in the rough direction the grenade had come from.  "MOVE!" He bellowed emphasising the point.

With Robert's head still ringing pretty bad, he does give a thumbs up to Jan and taps Thijs on his leg for them to move with a motion of his head.  Tucker moves about 20-30 meters away from Jan (and continuing to the right like they were headed) and looks for some decent cover before reengaging (switching back to single-shot) any hostiles that are trying to leave the area on them.

TUCKER
- M16A2 / M-203: [21/30] / M-203 HE Loaded (Currently Reloading)- Current primary
 Single-Shot}
- H&K MK23 SOCOM (Suppressed) [12+1/12 + [(x2) 12/12 Mag pouch]] -
   Holstered
- Browning HP [13/13] Holstered (Vest)

Continuing to move on their original plan on flanking to the right, looks for cover 20-30 meters from Jan, then reengaging any threats with single-shot precision (hopefully) fire

This message was last updated by the player at 22:56, Sat 04 May 2013.

Daniel Larue
 player, 323 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Tue 30 Apr 2013
at 23:35
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
"Fuuuuuuck."  Danny hawks bloody snot into the snow and shakes his head to clear it.  He spares a second to check on Jan and Tuck, who seem to be similarly rattled but undamaged, and follows Tuck in a scramble for cover.  Flopping prone again, he reorients Winona on the enemy line.

"Thijs!" he hollers, glancing over at the Dutchman. "How bad you hit?"

Without waiting for a response, he returns to his own sights and starts hammering double-taps at any visible targets or muzzle flashes.

Danny
Winona [27/30 + 5 magazines] - ready, on SEMI
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

following Tuck to cover, then firing paired single shots at enemies as they present themselves

This message was last edited by the player at 23:37, Tue 30 Apr 2013.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 59 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Tue 30 Apr 2013
at 23:50
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Connolly pats McClurg on his good shoulder as she enters the temporary brig. "Thanks, Mac." She steps to one side, making sure she isn't blocking his line of fire, and casually hooks her right thumb into her belt close to her holster.

"Gentlemen," she says in her fragmentary Russian, making eye contact with the highest-ranking man in the group. "I think you might want knowledge." She gestures in the general direction of the gunfire. "We -" I, she amends silently - "think those are marauders, not your people.  Not worry.  Our deal still good.  We free you once we pass Torun."

She pauses, watching for any reaction that might indicate someone knows more about the attack.

Boots
M11 [13/13 + 2 magazines] - holstered, loaded but decocked

calming down the cargo

Minh Quyen
 player, 691 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Wed 1 May 2013
at 00:59
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Quyen is on her way to the guns when she bumps into Konrad. "On the dushka." she tells him without stopping. When Quyen reaches the machinegun she readies it and does a quick inspection of the ammo link before waiting for target instructions (or a clear sign of where the enemy is). After that happens she will fire 3 five round bursts.

Quyen
Dushka facing enemy
3 five round bursts

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1863 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 1 May 2013
at 01:34
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Jan Cerny:
"Sunday.  Jan here.  Target other side of purple smoke screen.  Am flanking right to clear your LOS. Still danger close but left hand side of smoke will soon be clear for you to engage.  Over."


Bayer follows Quyen to the DSHK facing the shore, listening to Jan's target indication being broadcasted over the radio on the way. Once he's in position next to the machinegun, he points over the top of the feed tray cover towards the area Jan mentioned, and ensures Quyen knows where the enemy is - and where the friendlies are.

"Fire!" he says, placing his hands over his ears. Bayer will then observe the tracers and splash of the rounds to help correct each burst for Minh.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 799 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Wed 1 May 2013
at 20:49
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
As the Queen started to fire back, Griet kept the tug moving forward but in a way that kept the port Dushka able to fire on the enemy.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1159 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Wed 1 May 2013
at 20:51
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Mariusz kept the Princess looping and once in the cover of the Queen he got on his radio, "Princess to Queen, do you want me to keep an eye on the Torunians?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2856 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Fri 3 May 2013
at 00:13
Re: Red Sky at Morning...

As the flanker trio recovers from the near-miss grenade explosion, Craig and Minh begin to blast the tree line with heavy weapons fire. Purple smoke still obscures the target, but the large caliber rounds and exploding grenades produce enough flying debris to determine that the effort is relatively accurate. Minh squeezes off several five-round bursts, bright green tracers helping her to stay on target, but Craig's first burst is cut short after only two grenades when the AGS jams. (-30 rounds 12.7mm; -3 30mm HE)

Still, the display of firepower seems to overwhelm the ambushers. The shore team is no longer receiving any incoming, allowing Jan, Tucker, and Larue- momentarily joined by Jay- to continue their flanking maneuver unhindered. After squeezing off a few more shots of suppressive fire, the four men push into the smoky tree line, while Thijs continues to lay down a base of covering fire. The first enemy that the assaulting quartet encounter is dead, the back of his head scattered on the snow behind him. Jan spots movement further into the wood and shoots at it; Larue and Tucker join in. Jay realizes that the 9mm rounds in his Makarov would be wasted here, so he continues scanning the immediate area, looking for hidden threats. There's some return fire, but it's not accurate. It appears that the hostile force has taken flight. Jay's closer inspection of the edge of the wood reveals another corpse about a dozen meters to the left. There are also conspicuous blood droplets among the mess of boot prints leading southwest towards the road on the far side of the wood. The tangle of trees make this a dangerous area through which to attempt a rapid pursuit. Furthermore, a crafty foe might easily set up a hard-to-spot ambush along its back trail. (Thijs -15 rounds; Jan -10 rounds; Tucker -3 rounds; Larue -2 rounds)


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:15, Fri 03 May 2013.

Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 556 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Fri 3 May 2013
at 03:50
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
With a reduction in incoming fire, Jay quickly inspected his AK74 to see if he could get it working, or if it was temporarily out of action. If able to he will fix it and reload with a fresh magazine; if not he will look around for a replacement weapon.

OOC - what rifles can I see next to bodies, either Warren or the enemy corpses?

As the others moved he silently pointed out the blood trail and footprints heading southwest, but held his position for now. This was an unknown enemy and he was reluctant to press on without a reliable weapon and more information.

Jay Byanjankar
Shore party
Crouching, attempting to repair AK, or find replacement, and indicating blood trail to team
AK-74 / BG-15 - 30/15 + 0xHE - STOPPAGE
Makarov 8/8
Frag Grenade x3

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 128 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Fri 3 May 2013
at 04:09
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Unsure if he was even able to get up, Thijs had crawled to the right, continuing to lay down fire in fits and starts as he moved.  Members of the flanking group were approaching his target area, so he checked fire.  As resistance seems to have evaporated, he came to his knees behind a tree and attempted to check the wound, but was unable to twist around enough to do so.  "I cannot tell how badly I am hit," he responds to Jan and Danny's inquiries.  "I need someone to check."  He kept his autorifle pointed downrange in case more persuasion was needed to encourage the enemy to run.

Thijs
Shore party, kneeling behind tree
C7A1 LSW [50/90 +(6x30)]
Ready for more, if necessary

Craig Sutherland
 player, 648 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 3 May 2013
at 05:47
Re: Red Sky at Morning...

A long line of expletives can be heard from the top of the wheelhouse. Craig worked to clear the jam and bring the grenade launcher back in the action. It looked and sounded if the engagement was petering out, but he continued to work until it was functioning again.

He held his fire and radioed through that Carlisle was dead.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1604 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 3 May 2013
at 07:28
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Jan surveyed the remains of the ambushers, taking in what he could see.  Was this a double cross by the Torun garrison, that was the key question he wanted answered.

He also took the opportunity to replace the almost empty magazine in his rifle, discovering something mildly alarming as he did so.  The first replacement magazine he tried to take out of a pouch on his Lifchik chest harness was snagged on something and a quick examination revealed a piece of shrapnel from the grenade that had detonated near him stuck in the side of it.  It probably wouldn't have penetrated his body armour anyway but it was a sobering reminder of just how close that grenade had been.

He slipped the damaged magazine back into a pouch and replaced it with a fresh, undamaged one and then started towards one of the enemy corpses, intending on searching it for any Intel and checking for any improvised booby trap or other survivors as he did so.  Just determining whether he was Russian or Polish would be a start.

Thijs van Lincklaen:
"I cannot tell how badly I am hit," he responds to Jan and Danny's inquiries.  "I need someone to check."

Thijs' call for help prompted Jan to focus on the immediate.

"Thijs, you are talking and that is always a good sign.  Danny, check on his wounds.  Tuck, keep a watch out.  Jay, get a replacement weapon and then join Tuck."

He heard Craig's transmission and then followed it with one of his own.  "Konrad, Jan here.  Enemy have a couple of KIAs and are withdrawing with at least one WIA.  Do you want us to pursue to attempt a prisoner capture?  Thijs is wounded but hopefully not badly so we will need more people to attempt pursuit."

While he waited for Konrad's reply he relayed Craig's report of another casualty to those around him that weren't on the radio net.  "Carlisle has been killed as well," he said simply.

He continued with his searching of a corpse.


Jan
Reloading, issuing some instructions and the searching a corpse for any intel.
AK-74 (30/30 rnds - 11x 30rnd mags in total) - held
BG-15 (1/1 HE Grenade - 18x HE Grenades in total) - underslung
Sig Sauer P226 - (15/15 rnds - 4x 15rnd mags in total) - holster
Frag Grenade x2
Smoke Grenade (Coloured) x1
Hunting Knife

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 129 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Fri 3 May 2013
at 14:13
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Jan Cerny:
"Thijs, you are talking and that is always a good sign.  Danny, check on his wounds."

"I do not believe it is bad, but I just cannot tell," Thijs replied.  "Bad or not, I do know I will not be sitting down for some time."
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1864 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 3 May 2013
at 17:19
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Bayer lowers his hands from his ears and nods at Minh to signal her to cease fire. He then toggles his radio, "Sunray. Negative. Leave a two man LP in the area and make an obvious withdraw with the rest back the Queen. Out." He then leaves the DSHK position and heads for the bridge. "Stay low. Carlisle got hit." he advises her before getting out of earshot.

Upon entering the wheelhouse, Bayer first asks about the Russian salvage team and when told of their response, he says, mostly to himself, "We just lost two people." Bayer was then about to mention he'd be changing the Kommando's shore party SOPs, but that could wait. Instead he says, "Tell the Russians they need to wait longer."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:22, Fri 03 May 2013.

Daniel Larue
 player, 329 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sat 4 May 2013
at 00:59
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Danny nods to Jan.  "I'm on it.  Just needed to finish the fight first."

He scuttles over to Thijs, staying low to avoid any more incoming fire.  "Keep your head down, dude," he advises.  He safes and slings Winona, then withdraws his EMT shears from his GP pouch.  "Sorry about the pants," he drawls as he defaces their seat, drawing apart the blood-soaked fabric to expose Thijs' injury.  "This may sting a little."  He reaches into his aid bag and comes up with a canteen, which he uncaps, sloshing a good portion of the contents over the wound to rinse away the blood and any debris.


Danny
Winona [25/30 + 5 magazines] - slung, on SAFE
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

assessing the damage to Thijs

This message was last edited by the player at 00:59, Sat 04 May 2013.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1529 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Sat 4 May 2013
at 23:09
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Tucker doesn't take his eyes off of the woods where the ambushers fell back to and begins to reload his M-16 with a fresh magazine from his MOLLE vest pouch and placing the partial in his pants BDU cargo pocket.  He says to Jan still scanning the ground ahead of them, "I'll hold here if you want Jan.  Dany's got some work to do!"

TUCKER
- M16A2 / M-203: [30/30] / M-203 HE Loaded (Currently Reloading)- Current primary
 Single-Shot} ([1] MAG 18/30 IN BDU Pocket)
- H&K MK23 SOCOM (Suppressed) [12+1/12 + [(x2) 12/12 Mag pouch]] -
   Holstered
- Browning HP [13/13] Holstered (Vest)

Reloading his rifle and keeping watch from behind cover at the area where the ambushers passed through

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 800 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 5 May 2013
at 08:55
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Griet kept the Queen away from the shore, "Do we know if we've killed the sniper yet?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2857 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 5 May 2013
at 20:57
Re: Red Sky at Morning...

Jay examines is rifle and finds that a bullet strike somehow managed to change the position of the selector switch on the right side of the receiver to safe. He flicks it to semi-auto, racks the slide back to chamber a fresh round, and fires a couple of shots in the direction of the red-speckled flight tracks in the snow. In the meantime, Danny digs through layers of clothing to check Thijs' buttocks and treats the minor wound that he finds there. It'll smart for a while, and it will likely scar, but the inch-and-a-half long graze won't affect the Dutch Marine's mobility at all. Tucker meanwhile covers Jan as the Czech examines the two dead men killed by the shore parties counter fire. Both men are clad in white oversuits; under the snow camouflage, they both wear early model Soviet woodland pattern cammies. All of their LBE is also Red Army issue. The headshot victim on the far left flank (probably Thijs' handiwork) is armed with an RPK-47. The man on the left, his mangled upper body displaying the effects of a 40mm HE near miss, was armed with an AK-74, but it's been damaged beyond repair. Most of the man's rifle ammo was also ruined by the close blast and shrapnel of the grenade, leaving only enough for Jan and Jay to switch out their partial mags for fresh ones. (Recovered: 1 RPK-47 w/ 4 full 7.62mmS magazines and one partially loaded 40-round mag, two Soviet fragmentation hand grenades; Jan and Jay may both reset their full pre-combat combat ammo loads)

Warren's gear is also salvaged. He was carrying the SAKO sniper rifle (a great weapon for hunting) and his silenced automatic. He left his AKSU back in the armory, but it probably wouldn't have done him any good anyway.

Back on board the tug, Craig manages to clear the jam in the AGS-17. One of the 30mm grenades apparently misfired, causing a failure to fire. He chambers another one, readying the AGL for action should it be needed again soon. Mariusz returns to the riverbank to ready for the shore team's return. Inside the bridge, the radio crackles to life,

"River Queen, this is Torun salvage. We don't hear any gunfire. What's your status, over?"

The Kommando has weathered another storm, this one brief, violent, and almost completely unexpected. They've driven off the ambushers, killing two in the process, but lost two themselves, one old friend and one new. None of you knew Carlisle well at all. He was quiet and unassuming, and never really got the chance to find his place on the team. Warren, on the other hand, had been with you for weeks and, although he could be almost robotic at times in his cold cunning, most of you had grown to respect and even like him. He also had contacts upriver with significant resources which are now lost to you.

Torun, with its large Soviet garrison still waits. The day is young and full of possibilities, some of them quite worrying.


Next Moves?
Jan Cerny
 player, 1606 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Sun 5 May 2013
at 22:24
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Jay seemed to have fixed his rifle so Jan spoke to him and Tuck quietly.

"Konrad wants a two man listening post set up here and you two have the job.  Ok?  I will make sure the little boat is ready to come and pick you up if there is a problem."

He then turned to Danny and Thijs.  "Danny, if you can help Thijs to the boat I will bring Warren."

Jan then did a couple of trips down to the shoreline, transferring Jeff's body, his rifle and the capture weapons and equipment.  Once Mariusz returned with the Princess Jan helped get Thijs and everything else aboard.

He then reported in to Konrad to see if there were any further instructions.  If there weren't he started to organise a burial detail for Warren and Carlisle as well as inventorying their gear and sharing it out as was needed.
Daniel Larue
 player, 330 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 5 May 2013
at 22:48
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Danny rinses away the blood and emits a noncommittal grunt.  "Hey, man, it probably feels worse than it looks."  He presses a wad of gauze into the wound to stem the bleeding, following it up with another gauze pad and a generous application of surgical tape.  "I don't think it'll even need sutures.  Try to limit your movement for a few days and sleep on your stomach so you don't re-open it."

Jan Cerny:
He then turned to Danny and Thijs.  "Danny, if you can help Thijs to the boat I will bring Warren."


"Yeah, I've done everything I can here."  Danny helps Thijs to his feet and assists the Dutchman down to the waterline.  "When I get back to the boat, I'll get you started on some antibiotics.  We have a little bit of tetracycline I've been saving."
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 61 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sun 5 May 2013
at 22:57
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Assessing the prisoners' general silence (and lack of aggression) as acceptance of her reassurance, Connolly returns to the bridge in time to hear the radio call.  She slips past Griet to the radio. "Torun, Queen.  We're securing the area.  Stand by, please."

She releases the transmit key and raises an eyebrow at Bayer.  "It's your call, Captain, but I don't think this was our Russian friends.  They have the manpower to overwhelm us and they would've timed it better."  With a glance toward the scene at the shore, she grimaces and adds, "Still, if Larue's evac'ing any walking wounded, I'd like someone to back up Mac with the prisoners."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:59, Sun 05 May 2013.

Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 130 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Sun 5 May 2013
at 23:28
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
As Danny cut open his trousers to access the wound, Thijs groused, "Damn, I just got these pa-AAAAH!"  He yelped when the vodka in Danny's canteen hit the wound.  "You were right.  That did sting."
Daniel Larue:
Danny rinses away the blood and emits a noncommittal grunt.  "Hey, man, it probably feels worse than it looks."  He presses a wad of gauze into the wound to stem the bleeding, following it up with another gauze pad and a generous application of surgical tape.  "I don't think it'll even need sutures.  Try to limit your movement for a few days and sleep on your stomach so you don't re-open it."

"Got it," came the reply.

Daniel Larue:
Jan Cerny:
He then turned to Danny and Thijs.  "Danny, if you can help Thijs to the boat I will bring Warren."


"Yeah, I've done everything I can here."  Danny helps Thijs to his feet and assists the Dutchman down to the waterline.  "When I get back to the boat, I'll get you started on some antibiotics.  We have a little bit of tetracycline I've been saving."

On the walk back to the shore, Thijs shook off Danny's hand and attempted to hobble along on his own, only accepting more help if the pain was too great or if he felt wobbly.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1530 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 6 May 2013
at 00:48
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Jan Cerny:
Jay seemed to have fixed his rifle so Jan spoke to him and Tuck quietly.

"Konrad wants a two man listening post set up here and you two have the job.  Ok?  I will make sure the little boat is ready to come and pick you up if there is a problem."

"We'll cover," Tucker says to Jan as he moves off to take care of getting the body of their fallen comrade, Warren, back to the Queen.  Tucker looks to Jay, Ten meter spread Jay.  Best cover available.  Engage if necessary.  You good to go?"

TUCKER
- M16A2 / M-203: [30/30] / M-203 HE Loaded (Currently Reloading)- Current primary
 Single-Shot} ([1] MAG 18/30 IN BDU Pocket)
- H&K MK23 SOCOM (Suppressed) [12+1/12 + [(x2) 12/12 Mag pouch]] -
   Holstered
- Browning HP [13/13] Holstered (Vest)

Keeping watch with Jay from behind cover at the area where the ambushers passed through about 10 meters apart from each other

This message was last edited by the player at 00:49, Mon 06 May 2013.

Daniel Larue
 player, 331 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Mon 6 May 2013
at 01:03
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Danny lets Thijs recover some dignity and find his own way down to the Princess, staying within arm's reach in case the other man stumbles.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 558 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Mon 6 May 2013
at 05:55
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Jay was happy to find his rifle was still in good working order. After clearing the weapon he topped up his magazine with rounds from the fallen enemy and took the 2 grenades to replace the ones he had used, then finally reloaded his GL.

He looked over at Tuck. "Okay Tuckerji, I good, we set up now." He then began to look for a suitable spot to set up his position.

Note - Jay doesn't have a radio, I assume Tuck has one?

Jay Byanjankar
Shore party
Setting up OP with Tuck
AK-74 / BG-15 - 30/30 + 1xHE
Makarov 8/8
Frag Grenade x5

Craig Sutherland
 player, 649 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 6 May 2013
at 06:58
Re: Red Sky at Morning...


Craig had not thought that the wound that took out Carlisle was from a sniper, but now he thinks about it it could be feasible. He lays down behind the grenade launcher and with his rifle begins to scan the tree-line through his scope.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 801 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 6 May 2013
at 08:13
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
"I agree," Griet replied to Boots, "even if it was them we have to get through Torun so if they are still playing out the pretense of co-operating with us we need to play along until we get closer to our goal."
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1160 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Mon 6 May 2013
at 08:13
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
MAriusz returned to the shore and waited to receive passengers.
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1865 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 6 May 2013
at 12:12
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Griet Niewiadomska:
"I agree," Griet replied to Boots, "even if it was them we have to get through Torun so if they are still playing out the pretense of co-operating with us we need to play along until we get closer to our goal."


"At this time I doubt that they were from Torun, as well. Or, sent to cause harm, at least." Bayer says, shaking his head dismissively. "Not after breaking contact from an ambush like they did." he adds, referencing Jan's report. "We will continue to cooperate ja, but radio them to wait another hour. Tell them it's for, ahhh, to secure the work area, which is partially true."

He then glances out the window at the treeline, then to Jan, "Gather up Lt. Sutherland, Minh, Larue, Mariusz, and two of the prisoners right away. Tell Minh to bring that PKM along too, as well as whatever tools are available for cutting wood. I will accompany you once you're ready. The prisoners picked will be compensated with something to eat."

Bayer then toggles his radio and after conducting a radio check with Tuck, he informs the Amerikan that friendlies will be coming back ashore behind them to complete what they hoped to accomplish earlier.

"We'll bury the fallen after we're ready to leave here for Torun. Until then keep them covered and out of sight of the prisoners." Bayer says lastly.

This message was last edited by the player at 12:15, Mon 06 May 2013.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1609 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 6 May 2013
at 22:37
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Konrad Bayer:
He then glances out the window at the treeline, then to Jan, "Gather up Lt. Sutherland, Minh, Larue, Mariusz, and two of the prisoners right away. Tell Minh to bring that PKM along too, as well as whatever tools are available for cutting wood. I will accompany you once you're ready. The prisoners picked will be compensated with something to eat."

Jan nodded in response.  "Oui mon Capitaine," he said as he departed to organise everything.

He went firstly to find Craig, Minh and Mariusz.  "We are forming a new shore party to get the wood.  You three are coming and we are not taking any chances so bring full combat loads.  Minh, you are to bring the PKM so get that from the weapons locker.  I will come with you as I want to take a couple of things.  Craig.  Mariusz.  Also find what axes and saws we have for chopping wood and bring them.  We are escorting two prisoners to do the work.  There is certainly the axe Jay retrieved.  Gather on deck ASAP with all your gear."



After finishing with the weapons locker Jan then made his way to the small infirmary where Danny was tending Thijs' wounds.  "Danny, when you are finished here meet me up on deck with a full combat load.  You are coming in the new shore party to gather wood."

Lastly he made his way down to the improvised brig and explained to Mac and the prisoners what was going on.  He picked two of the youngest, unwounded men who looked nervous, explaining what was going on in Polish.  "You two are needed for a work detail.  You will get fed if you work hard."  He then escorted the two men up on deck to where the rest of the shore party were congregating.
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 131 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Tue 7 May 2013
at 22:58
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Back on board, Thijs waited as Danny finished his ministrations and took the Tetracycline Larue handed him, thanking the PJ.  He went to his bunk and took out another set of the secondhand (or third, or more) fatigues he had recently acquired, as well as additional underwear.  He removed the bloody pants and underwear Danny (and the bullet) had cut, as well as the upper clothing that had gotten wet when he went prone in the snow.  He got into the dry clothes and spread the old ones aside to dry for later laundering and mending.

After changing clothes, he set about transferring 30 rounds from the snail drum he had used today to the one he had used in Plock, jacking the now-full magazine into his weapon, and putting the nearly-empty drum back in his butt pack.  Considering the dwindling amount of 5.56mm NATO ammunition he had, and the lack thereof in the tug's stores, he knew he was going to need to obtain a new weapon sooner or later.  Barring the acquisition of more 5.56mm, he would need to find a Warsaw Pact automatic rifle.  He'd seen the RPD in the armory, but it was much heavier than his LSW, and had even less ammo available than he did now.  No, his best bet would be to find an RPK-74 somewhere.  One of the older, more numerous RPKs would do, but only if more of the 7.62mm Kalashnikov ammunition (which he heard had been given away earlier) could be found, as well.  If an automatic rifle could not be found, he would have to settle for one of the dozen-and-a-half AK-74s in the hold.

Finishing the reloading, Thijs came back on deck and spoke to Konrad.  "I am ready to return to duty, Kapitein," he said.  "Shall I man the starboard Dishka again, or would you rather have me someplace else?"
Daniel Larue
 player, 332 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Tue 7 May 2013
at 23:10
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Danny slaps Thijs on the shoulder.  "No problem, man.  Take it easy.  I'll check on you when I get back."

He turns to Jan and snorts ruefully.  "Dude, this is my full combat load.  I let you guys carry the heavy ordnance.  Gimme five minutes to wash up and top off my consumables and I'll be ready."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:21, Tue 07 May 2013.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 62 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Tue 7 May 2013
at 23:32
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Connolly nods to Bayer and keys the microphone.  "Torun, Queen, we apologize for the delay.  We're deploying a patrol to secure the area.  We estimate one hour to establish a perimeter.  Please continue to hold in place.  Our personnel will not approach your current position.  If you see anything suspicious, don't hesitate to fire.  Acknowledge, over."

She releases the transmit key, then waits for Jan to emerge on deck and slides open a window.  "Jan!" she calls.  "I just cleared the Torun salvage crew for defensive fire.  Don't go too far north."

This message was last edited by the player at 23:33, Tue 07 May 2013.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1866 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Wed 8 May 2013
at 02:32
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Thijs van Lincklaen:
Finishing the reloading, Thijs came back on deck and spoke to Konrad.  "I am ready to return to duty, Kapitein," he said.  "Shall I man the starboard Dishka again, or would you rather have me someplace else?"


"Are you alright then van Lincklaen? Not banged up too bad then, ja?" Bayer asks first, trying to look over the Dutchman without being too intrusive. Then when told his injury, he nods and says, "And Mr. Warren... was quick?" Regardless of what Thijs answers, Bayer says nothing more on the matter.

Bayer then gets back to the man's original question, "Yes, the gun. We are just going ashore to cut wood, but I could use you here."

Konrad then heads down to the main deck where Jan has the shore party assembled. He then clarifies that everyone will be cutting wood, not just the prisoners, and that included him as well. In addition to the manned LP, one member of the work party will rotate as a local sentry at all times, geared up with the PKM. "That puts us at six cutting and hauling wood at all times... and three keeping watch from two different positions."

"Clear?" he asks the group, before motioning for everyone to load into the launch.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:32, Wed 08 May 2013.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1610 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 8 May 2013
at 22:15
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
In reply to Konrad Bayer (msg # 608):

"Yes," replied Jan as he made sure that they had enough wood cutting tools.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1532 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 8 May 2013
at 23:03
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Tucker keeps watch on the area that the troops retreated to and scans around with his binoculars on other approach routes to the area.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2860 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 9 May 2013
at 00:03
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly:
Connolly nods to Bayer and keys the microphone.  "Torun, Queen, we apologize for the delay.  We're deploying a patrol to secure the area.  We estimate one hour to establish a perimeter.  Please continue to hold in place.  Our personnel will not approach your current position.  If you see anything suspicious, don't hesitate to fire.  Acknowledge, over."


Once again, there is a pause of nearly 30-seconds before the crew of the pilot boat responds.

"This is Torun Salvage to Queen. We acknowledge your last transmission and will stand off until we receive word from you. Over."

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:24, Thu 09 May 2013.

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2861 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Thu 9 May 2013
at 00:23
Re: Red Sky at Morning...

A reinforced woodcutting party returns to the west bank while the LP keeps an ear out for renewed hostile activity in the woods. Neither Tucker nor Jay detect any continued enemy presence in the immediate area. Jay is confident that he can track the ambushers through the thick snow, but doing so could result in running into another ambush and Jan and Konrad decide against risking it.

Both the enemy and friendly dead are stripped of anything and everything useful and prepared for burial. This last bit is going to be very difficult, however, due to the 3-4 inch-thick snow cover and about the same amount of frozen topsoil.

(The ambushers' white oversuits are spattered in blood and gore and are probably no longer effective as snow camouflage. Thijs recovers a pair of brown Soviet winter weight trousers to replace his perforated cammie pants.)

The woodcutting party sets to work. There's plenty of dead wood to harvest. Much of it can be broken off of larger branches and deadfalls without the need for an axe, but the tool still helps with some of the more stubborn bits and pieces. In about an hour, enough wood for a day's worth of travel at cruising speed has been collected. Getting it back to the tug will take several relays, though, both from the wood to the riverbank, and thence to the tug and back again.

Those remaining on board the tug are extra vigilant. From their elevated perches in, around, and atop the bridge, the crew scans their surroundings for signs of another attack. None are forthcoming. The AO appears quiescent, but you've all been in Poland long enough now to know that such appearances can be deceiving. You'll probably going to be here a while, while the Torun salvage party works on making the beached monitor tow-worthy.


Next Moves?
Craig Sutherland
 player, 650 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Fri 10 May 2013
at 07:33
Re: Red Sky at Morning...

Having an axe in his hands again and chopping wood brought back many happy memories working with his Grandfather on the Scottish hunting estate where he worked.

It is Craig's intention to make his way back there if he can make it back to the United Kingdom. The estate was vast but isolated and at its centre it had a large Scottish castle only used for a couple of months each year by the owner in London. It was moated, well provisioned and had a large walled vegetable garden and greenhouses.

He was lost in though for several minutes as he again ran over the plan in his head. If time allowed he would try to fashion some tiles or dress some other wood as a covering for the weather deck to replace the tarpaulin.
Jan Cerny
 player, 1612 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 10 May 2013
at 18:10
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Jan took his turns chopping and collecting wood and then manning the PKM and standing watch.  He tried to keep alert at all times, even when he was hefting the axe, but it was almost impossible to swing an axe accurately without concentrating fully on what you were doing.

As he worked however he made a mental list of other things they needed to trade for, should the opportunity arise.  More tools like axes and saws seemed like a good idea now that they didn't have enough.  He just hoped that they would find someone vaguely friendly somewhere along this damn river.  If nothing else they needed to trade for food, even though they now had two less mouths to feed.

"How much wood do we need?" he muttered to the others.
Minh Quyen
 player, 692 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Fri 10 May 2013
at 20:38
Re: Red Sky at Morning...
Quyen takes her share of the cutting and hauling the wood to the shore as well as talking watch. While leaning up against a tree and smoking she observes Jan on the ax and makes an audible scoff. When he looks in her direction she takes a long drag on the smoke and says afterwards "Remind me not to ever go camping with you Paul Bunyan." Her face doesn't reveal it but her tone is obvious that she is just chidding him.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2863 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 11 May 2013
at 20:15
Raising the Crocodile

Wood is gathered and shipped to the tug, equipment salvaged and inventoried, and the watch schedule redrawn to account for two fewer live bodies. The dead, now nearly frozen, are set aside to await a thaw; burning is probably an easier option, or a water burial, if enough ballast can be found to weigh them down properly. The sky is mostly clear, the sun bright, though its rays feel feeble in the enduring cold. Still, water drips from branches under the dead forest, and the tug's decks are slick with icemelt.

An hour and more has passed and the Torun Salvage crew request permission to approach the crippled monitor. The Kommandos on shore and on board the Krolowa are vigilant, watching the arriving salvage team with an interest bordering on suspicion. The team is larger than you expected, eight men excepting the pilot boat's three-man crew. The Crocodile's skipper and chief engineer, both paroled from among the Kommando's Torun hostages are among the salvagers. The slavagers are all armed with AKs, but the magazines have been removed in compliance with Connolly's earlier request. A pistol or two are spotted poking out of belts and wastebands beneath jackets.

They work through the day, watched carefully at all times by at least a couple of the Kommandos*. Kellerman, a skilled aviation mechanic, offers his services and Gryzych, despite his loathing of Russians, joins the American, curious to examine the monitor's rebuilt propulsion and steering systems for himself. The tug is now anchored alongside the monitor, their hulls about 20m apart, the Princess between them, moored close to the tug's side. A fire hose snakes connects the two larger vessels, and the Krolowa's pumps throb and thrum as water is sucked from the monitor's sodden bowels and spat over the tug's opposite side. The pilot boat anchors off the Crocodile's slightly crumpled snout, its crew keeping one eye on the monitor and another split between the woods and the tug.

Most of the salvagers don't really look like they know what they are doing. They simply follow the increasingly impatient orders of the Crocodile's captain and the chief engineer. The worker bees look like hardened fighters rather than grease monkeys and tinkerers. One of the pilot boat crewmen joins the work team when a skilled welder is needed, but they have to use the tug's welding equipment since they apparently failed to bring along any of their own.

The sun is sinking closer to the western horizon, and the tug's floodlights illuminate the work space. It's going to be hard to work in the dark, and it's growing increasingly cold as the sun makes its retreat. Much work has been done, though. There's only a little more patching to be done- most of the water has been pumped out of the monitor- and then the Krolowa can begin the tricky process of pulling the monitor off of the mud bank. Safe passage through Torun is the promised payment for the tug crew's assistance. It's a strange marriage, considering that the Kommando stranded the monitor here in the first place.

The salvage team stops work when the sun dips below the western horizon and prepares to bed down aboard the monitor for the night. The pilot boat departs for Torun, intending to return the next morning with more fuel for the Krolowa's welding equipment. There's been no sign of the party that ambushed you at dawn. Nonetheless, a palpable tension permeates the chill gloom, making for a likely restless night.


Next Moves?

OOC: In this next turn, I need to know where each of the Kommandos is posted, either on land or aboard the vessels, and what they are doing for most of the night.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:23, Sat 11 May 2013.

Mrityunjay Byanjan