Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Anders Mattson
 player, 95 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Mon 29 Jul 2013
at 08:54
Re: The Battle of Torun
"Okay", the Finn said and turned his head to gain a view at the starboard side. Turning the mortar wasn't necessary as of yet - it was better to keep it facing forward, so it wouldn't take long to aim it on to either side.
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1573 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Mon 29 Jul 2013
at 12:34
Re: The Battle of Torun
After he calls in his status report of the port side to Konrad, Robert takes a moment to re-secure his gear and makes sure that his weapons are ready to go.  He performs an in-battery magazine change on his Browning HP once again with the last full magazine he has on him, securing the partially used one in the same pocket as the other mag.

Tucker calls up to Craig, "CRAIG!  YOU GOOD UP THERE?  WHO ELSE IS OVER HERE?"
Craig Sutherland
 player, 668 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Mon 29 Jul 2013
at 20:08
Re: The Battle of Torun
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker:
Tucker calls up to Craig, "CRAIG!  YOU GOOD UP THERE?  WHO ELSE IS OVER HERE?"


Craig caught his name being called in his good ear;

"ALL GOOD, JUST ME. WATCH FOR INCOMING FIRE FROM THE RAIL BRIDGE."
Daniel Larue
 player, 367 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Tue 30 Jul 2013
at 01:06
Re: The Battle of Torun
"Assholes," Danny mutters as the incoming fire picks up again.  He hunches his shoulders instinctively as he ties off the pressure dressing on Jan's arm.  "Here, gimme your hand," he instructs, then pulls off the other man's glove and presses a thumb into his fingertip, then again into Jan's thumbnail.  "Okay," he decides, watching color return to each point in turn, "good for now.  Can you shoot with that on?  And more importantly, can you actually get some results with this thing?" he asks, indicating Warren's Sako.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:06, Tue 30 July 2013.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 90 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Tue 30 Jul 2013
at 01:08
Re: The Battle of Torun
Still growling, Connolly switches to Russian to practice her obscenities as she picks up her binoculars again.  She turns away from the aft viewport to scan the built-up areas of Torun that the tug is approaching, looking for movement or the firing signature of heavy weapons.

Boots @ bridge, starboard viewports
AIMS-74 [16/30 + 4 magazines] - slung, on SAFE
M11 [13/13 + 2 magazines] - holstered, loaded but decocked

watching for shenanigans ashore

This message was last edited by the player at 01:43, Fri 02 Aug 2013.

Jan Cerny
 player, 1658 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Wed 31 Jul 2013
at 21:36
Re: The Battle of Torun
"Merci," commented Jan as Danny examined his wound and applied a dressing to his left arm.

Upon being asked about firing the Sako Jan nodded in acceptance of the suggestion. "I was never a sniper because I was not good enough at staying hidden but I am good marksman.  I will give it a go.  How many rounds are there left and who are you trying to shoot?"

Jan then set himself up with the Sako, firing at the targets Danny indicates.


Jan
Firing single aimed shots with the Sako at targets on the bridge
Sako sniper rifle (unknown # rounds)

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1885 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Thu 1 Aug 2013
at 15:09
Re: The Battle of Torun
"Sunray, roger, out." Bayer says over the radio following the last SITREP transmission. He then holds in place, keeping low and watching ahead for any change to the situation. Unless something big happens, he expects each team will just deal with it on their own as it happens.
Thijs van Lincklaen
 player, 154 posts
 Sergeant-Majoor
 Dutch Marine Commando
Thu 1 Aug 2013
at 18:10
Re: The Battle of Torun
Thijs swore and began clearing the jam on his automatic rifle with the intention of returning to the HMG if anybody at dockside found the zaadballen to fire on the tug again.  Once the LSW was in working form again, he did take it back to its former location near the DShK and resumed position behind the big gun, looking for more targets along the right bank.
Minh Quyen
 player, 702 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Thu 1 Aug 2013
at 22:38
Re: The Battle of Torun
Quyen makes her way forward again as instructed. Getting that explosive to work made her feel good. Real good. She was energized and didn't even feel the chill of the water from the eruption that came raining down on her from the blast.

She will stop short of the mortar (where she was last) and lower herself just enough to see over the railing. There she stuffs away her multitool and demo equipment back into her smallpack. Jan was supposed to be here with her but must of taken off to get his arm checked.

"You guys okay?" she yells forward to the Mariusz and the Finn.
Anders Mattson
 player, 96 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Fri 2 Aug 2013
at 01:19
Re: The Battle of Torun
Anders, keeping a close eye on the shore briefly turned his his gaze over to Minh and nodded. "Doing fine", he said. No problems there.
Daniel Larue
 player, 368 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Fri 2 Aug 2013
at 01:42
Re: The Battle of Torun
Danny gratefully relinquishes the Sako and unslings Winona.  "You've got six rounds left.  (OOC: [6/10])  No spare mags in the armory. Maybe we need to toss Warren's gear to see if he had any stashed away."  He glances over the sandbags at the shoreline.  "Honestly, dude, I grabbed it because I thought we needed counter-sniper firepower, and then the door gunners waxed the snipers before I could get on deck, so I was just plinking at muzzle flashes on the bridge."

Danny @ upper deck, forward port corner
Winona [28/30 + 5 magazines] - ready, on SEMI
CZ 75 [15/15 + 2 magazines] - holstered, cocked and locked
AN-M8 HC smoke grenade x2 - on vest
AN-M18 red smoke grenade x1 - on vest

watching for targets to port

Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2927 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sun 4 Aug 2013
at 18:08
Re: The Battle of Torun

Keeping to the center of the channel, the Krolowa eases through Torun, taking desultory small arms fire from both banks for most of the way. The Soviet garrison doesn't seem particularly well organized to oppose your passage. Perhaps they'd put all of their eggs in the double cross basket and, when that failed, were unprepared to handle the current contingency. Their riverside defenses certainly aren't very strong. From what the officers in the 89th cavalry division told you, the commander of the Torun garrison counted on his armored gunboat to control the river, negating the need for bunkers or other fixed defenses. The highway bridge with its commanding view of the river was somewhat of an obstacle, but you'd already passed beneath it before the Torunites revealed their true colors. It's out of effective small arms range behind you now. Still, you remain cautious and stick to available cover as bullets periodically plink off of the tug's hull and superstructure. In any case, both of the tug's heavy machineguns do a good job suppressing the incoming fire and both Thijs and Craig burn through about 100 rounds each in doing so.

You leave Torun and its 1,100 loyal Soviet troops behind.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:08, Sun 04 Aug 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 821 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 4 Aug 2013
at 19:10
Re: The Battle of Torun
Griet turned to Bayer and said, "We now have the problem of the hostages. We said to them we'd release them before we decided to use them as hostages. I would like to speak with them and offer any who would like to take up the offer a place on the crew. We could take three to five. That would give me the basis of a team when you all eventually leave. The rest we'll need to set ashore and radio Torun to let them know where they are. Unless you want to shoot them however."
Anders Mattson
 player, 97 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sun 4 Aug 2013
at 19:34
Re: The Battle of Torun
When the things calmed down, Anders slowly stood down his watch and smiled at Jay. "We did good. Now we clean her up", he said notioning towards the Vasilek. "She needs a good service." With that, he unloaded the remaining rounds from the automortar and informed the bridge, the weapon was going to be offline for a moment in his slightly broken English. It would not take too long for him to clean the barrel properly and scrub the lock.
Mariusz Tokarski
 player, 1176 posts
 Polish
 Teenaged Partisan
Sun 4 Aug 2013
at 19:47
Re: The Battle of Torun
Mariusz helped Anders clean the Vasilesk.
Mrityunjay Byanjankar
 player, 597 posts
 Naik (Corporal)
 Gurkha Rifles
Mon 5 Aug 2013
at 06:27
Re: The Battle of Torun
In reply to Anders Mattson (msg # 817):

"Yessir, Mister Andersji. I help for clean big gun, yes." Jay nodded. Once they were clear of danger he made his own weapon safe and secured it, then set to helping Mariusz and Anders maintain the Vasilek. Once they finished he then set about other tasks on the boat as needed.

When the issue of the prisoners arose, he voiced his opinion that they had not betrayed the Queen or her crew, and was happy to offer them freedom or service with the Queen as they chose.
Daniel Larue
 player, 369 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Mon 5 Aug 2013
at 18:22
Re: The Battle of Torun
Danny stands up from behind the sandbags and looks around the boat.  "If this keeps up, we'll have more bullet holes than steel," he remarks to Jan.  "Think you can back me up while I check for survivors?"  He nods toward the tug's stern as he safes and slings Winona and draws his CZ 75.

OOC: Unless otherwise directed, Danny will assess the boarders and stabilize any who are recoverable, using the bare minimum of supplies necessary to do the job.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:23, Mon 05 Aug 2013.

Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 91 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Mon 5 Aug 2013
at 18:30
Re: The Battle of Torun
"I'd like to think we're not down to summary executions yet," Connolly remarks dryly.  "Griet, if you're sure you want to recruit from that pool, I'll do the screening for you.  Captain, I'd like a couple of shooters to reinforce McClurg until I can get down there to start the interviews."  She turns to the charts and begins searching for a suitable location for dropping off the prisoners who aren't interested in a career change.  "And remind me to re-work the duty roster and get someone to fab gun shields for the AGS and the Zoo."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 822 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 5 Aug 2013
at 18:44
Re: The Battle of Torun
"I know it's a risk," Griet said, "but where else am I going to get crew that I have a choice to build loyalty with? Everyone else we've met we have shot. Eventually, you're all going home and I need crew or guards or my next port of call will be the bottom of the sea with my throat cut by pirates. Feel free to vet them, I'll speak individually to those that pass muster."
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 93 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Mon 5 Aug 2013
at 20:26
Re: The Battle of Torun
"Oh, I hear you," Connolly replies.  "I even agree it's probably a good idea.  I'll just be sleeping with a gun under my pillow until we're sure about them."  She glances up from the chart with a pained twist to her mouth.  "And I'd say you have about a fifty-fifty shot at recruiting Kellerman, at least.  I heard him telling Mac he can find a fourth wife in Poland just as well as he could have in Florida."  She inhales deeply and returns her attention to the route ahead.  "Hey, do we have any intel on Bydgoszcz?"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:27, Mon 05 Aug 2013.

Konrad Bayer
 player, 1886 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 5 Aug 2013
at 21:16
Re: The Battle of Torun
Griet Niewiadomska:
Griet turned to Bayer and said, "We now have the problem of the hostages. We said to them we'd release them before we decided to use them as hostages. I would like to speak with them and offer any who would like to take up the offer a place on the crew. We could take three to five. That would give me the basis of a team when you all eventually leave. The rest we'll need to set ashore and radio Torun to let them know where they are. Unless you want to shoot them however."


With Torun in their wake Bayer steps into the bridge, calling back down to Tucker, "Stand down. Go to twenty five percent... two sentries, one forward, one rear, and someone down to relieve McClurg. Get a weapons check on the machineguns as well as an ammo count for all crew served weapons."

Bayer then looks at Griet as she mentions the men locked below and clarifies their label, "Prisoners... not hostages." He then says, "We'll dump them ashore. If you can convince any, I'll agree to no more than two of the men staying on with us. If you want a crew, we can find some Polish volunteers."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1661 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Tue 6 Aug 2013
at 18:07
Re: The Battle of Torun
Jan had fired two rounds from the Sako before deciding that the movement of the Queen meant that there was no chance of any marksmanship and he had stopped to conserve ammo.

When Danny mentioned about checking for any wounded enemy troops Jan nodded in agreement but then held his hand up to indicate that Danny should wait for a few moments. He then quickly hurried over to where Tuck and Minh were stood on deck and heard Konrad's instructions.

"Capitaine, we must check on the prisoners and that Mac is ok and unharmed.  I would myself go but my arm will need more treatment from Danny and I need to cover him while he checks the enemy casualties.  I suggest that Tuck and Minh go there now to make sure nothing has happened."

Jan then made his way back to Danny, drew his pistol and pointed at the closest body lying on the deck with it.  "Ok.  I am with you now.  Check them and strip them of anything of use while I cover.  If any of them have bad wounds then it would be merciful to send them on their way.  We cannot look after them and their comrades down below will have trouble getting themselves home.  Thank you for my arm.  I hope you can have a longer look later."
Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1576 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Tue 6 Aug 2013
at 19:46
Re: The Battle of Torun
Konrad Bayer:
Griet Niewiadomska:
Griet turned to Bayer and said, "We now have the problem of the hostages. We said to them we'd release them before we decided to use them as hostages. I would like to speak with them and offer any who would like to take up the offer a place on the crew. We could take three to five. That would give me the basis of a team when you all eventually leave. The rest we'll need to set ashore and radio Torun to let them know where they are. Unless you want to shoot them however."


With Torun in their wake Bayer steps into the bridge, calling back down to Tucker, "Stand down. Go to twenty five percent... two sentries, one forward, one rear, and someone down to relieve McClurg. Get a weapons check on the machineguns as well as an ammo count for all crew served weapons."

Tucker is able to finally relax after they get farther away from Torun and Konrad calls for him.  He draws out his Browning HP one last time (for this encounter) and safe's the pistol and replaces it back into its holster in his MOLLE vest.  "Sorry for the delay back there boss.  We ran into uninvitred company.  I'll get onto posting sentries and  counts going."
Craig Sutherland
 player, 670 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Tue 6 Aug 2013
at 21:01
Re: The Battle of Torun

With the call to stand down, Craig checks the heavy machine gun before leaning against the superstructure of the tug and watching the river past by. He waits for Tucker to give out any additional assignments as he takes a bit of a break.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:07, Wed 07 Aug 2013.

Robert 'Tuck' Tucker
 player, 1579 posts
 Platoon Sergeant
 10th Mountain Division
Wed 7 Aug 2013
at 01:50
Re: The Battle of Torun
Craig Sutherland:
With the call to stand down, Craig checks the heavy machine gun before leaning against the superstructure of the tug and watching the river past by. He waits for Tucker to give out any additional assignments as he take a bit of a break.

"Craig!  Top off your DShK and then relieve Thijs on the other one and do the same.  I want a weapons check and a count of what we got left then stand by there.  He's got sentry detail, rear.  You're his relief in two hours.  Copy?"

Tucker is going to walk the length of the tug and cover all positions and people and hand out assignments when he gets to everyone.

"Danny, Jan.  You got first aid and clearing detail on the deck of Tango's.  Jan first then anyone of our others then, whoever is left.  If they're too far gone well, don't waste our supplies if it can be helped.  Remember, they ambushed us!"

"Minh, I need you to go back down to the hold and relieve McClurg watching the prisoners.  I'll try to rotate you out in two hours."

"Jay, forward security if you would."

"Mari, Mattson.  Weapons check and count on your weapon.  Make ready and secure."

When assignments have been given out and data collected from where is needed, Robert will report back to Konrad.

OOC: Did I catch all of the PC's?