Ch. 19: Dobiegniewo to Wloclawek.   Posted by Cap'n Rae.Group: 0
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1815 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Fri 11 Jan 2013
at 00:40
Re: Riders of the Storm
"Do it." Bayer says after the translation. The plan was the best one proposed so far to him, and it didn't look like anything very different was coming down the pipe. "Leave some men with fast horses to keep your position occupied and active, but try to bring back as much of the materials that you won't be able to salvage here in the village."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1512 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Fri 11 Jan 2013
at 08:31
Re: Riders of the Storm
Cap'n Rae:
Walter then adds, "If our cargo is heavy weapons, they're going to ask how we got a hold of them. If we use our Krakow papers, they're going to wonder why Krakow didn't just keep them. It's too suspicious. We have to have business both up river and down river to be convincing. Maybe we could pose as merchants in search of a cargo, working on consignment. That would explain an empty hold. That's not quite as suspicious as carrying a hold full of heavy weapons and looking for a customer, I don't think."

Jan's brow furrowed when Walter raised concern about a cargo of heavy weapons.  He was no merchant but he thought that the source of the weapons might be explainable.

"Could we not say that the Black Baron in Warsaw has fallen and we were able to trade for these in the chaos after his fall?  If we are trying to trade them to the Russians then our merchants will just look like opportunistic merchants who have seen an opportunity to make a profit.  Does that not work?  Less suspicious than merchants with no cargo?

"I will not be on the boat however so I am happy to go with what Griet decides.

"If we do not take the heavy weapons then what are we to do with them?  Someone suggested the walkers taking them but that is an impossible load for us to carry.  It might be possible if we have some horses but who of us knows how to ride?  Even more who of us knows how to make a team of horses pull a zoo?  I do not.  Do the Russians have any wagons to carry the shells?

"Transporting the heavy weapons and ammo might be too difficult and if that is the case then what else can the Russians trade for passage over the river?  We do not want the heavy weapons if we just have to abandon them here on the river bank.  In fact what else can the Russians trade?  Maybe they have other things that we could trade for to give us a cargo."


He wasn't thinking so much about the trade for passage over the river.  More a trade for some of the gold coins they had stashed aboard.
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2778 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 16:43
Re: Riders of the Storm

With the basics of a plan on the table, Yvgenny and Andrei contact their headquarters. Jeff listens in. The commander of the 89th, general Timonev, agrees to the plan. The 89th will move southeast to Dobiegniewo, with the understanding that the crossings will begin immediately upon their arrival. The move will take place at night, in a snowstorm, so shelter is of immediate concern. Dobiegniewo simply does not have the facilities to shelter 300 men and nearly as many horses, but the village on the east bank looks like it might serve.

There are several hours until nightfall. During that time, the 89th will disassemble their rafts and prepare them for transport. Just after sunset, they will light bonfires in Wloclawek as part of a maskarovka. The 89th will then begin their ride to Dobiegniewo, where the Wisla Krolowa will be waiting to ferry them across the Vistula in relays. Once that process is complete, likely some time during the following morning, payment will be arranged and the tug will begin its transformation from free company river gunboat to merchant cargo transport.

In the meantime, the Kommando have been asked to reconnoiter the far bank of the river, to make sure that the larger settlement there (Gmina Dobryznnad Wisla on their maps) is safe and suitable to shelter the 89th during the night, or perhaps longer, until the blizzard snows itself out.


Next Moves?

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:48, Sat 12 Jan 2013.

Anders Mattson
 player, 27 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 17:10
Re: Riders of the Storm
The Finn approached Griet, apparently not having that much to do at the moment. "I understood, you are the commander of this vessel? Need a gunsmith or a ship's mechanic? I can do electrical stuff as well and weld among other things. Worked as a mechanic aboard a passenger ship before the war." His English wasn't the best, but it was somewhat understandable, even with the funny accent he had.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 723 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 17:16
Re: Riders of the Storm
"Good to have you on board," Griet said to the Finn, "I'm sure you'll have plenty to do on the journey. For now, I'd suggest you familiarise yourself with the Vasilesk. I'd be particularly interested in the possibility of being able to break it down into smaller parts."
Anders Mattson
 player, 28 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 17:34
Re: Riders of the Storm
The Finn smiled. "I am sure, I can manage that. Could use a hand with it, if I need to take it apart. You have a gunner for it?" Of course Anders had no knowledge of the organization aboard.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 724 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 18:04
Re: Riders of the Storm
"Our dedicated gunner left recently," Griet replied, "several of us can use it but not proficiently. For the moment I'd just like you to see if it is feasible to dismantle it. When it comes to doing it I'll give you all the help you need."

"Since you come from Finland, I'm assuming you are familiar with the dangers of winter boating." she said, "I would appreciate it if you oversea the rafting operations when they begin so that we can benefit from your expertise."

"Larue," she said when she could find the medic, "I need you to keep an eye on your weather gear. This part of the river is notorious for wicked westerlies causing serious problems, I don't want to dump too many Russians in the river. It'll cause bad feelings."

She then sought Bayer out and asked him for a word in private. Once they were alone she spoke with him.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:26, Sat 12 Jan 2013.

Anders Mattson
 player, 29 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 19:19
Re: Riders of the Storm
"The ships I served on as civilians did round trips between Finland and Sweden round the year, so I'm familiar with winter conditions, but my experience is from the Baltic, not rivers. But I'll do what I can. As for the weapon, do you have tools for it or do I have to improvise?" The Finn seemed happy enough to get something worthwile to do.
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 725 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 19:21
Re: Riders of the Storm
"No specialist tools," Griet said, "but you can use anything we have on board the boat."
Anders Mattson
 player, 30 posts
 Kapteeniluutnantti (res.)
 Finnish Navy
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 19:34
Re: Riders of the Storm
The Finn nodded and headed for the Vasilek. It was not something he had really gotten acquainted with before, but with his understanding of weaponsystems, it was probably not going to be much of a problem.

He did a careful examination of the weapon first, studying the mechanism, sights, everything he could think of. His favourite baby had been the 120mm Bofors on the bow of his beloved FNS Karjala, the biggest autocannon ever built - this Soviet mortar was a third smaller and of very different build, but he was determined and there was very few things made in Soviet Union that can stand a determined Finn.

[OOC: 21:33, Today: Anders Mattson rolled 18 using 1d20. Gunsmith: 11 (Disasembling the Vasilek).]
Craig Sutherland
 player, 612 posts
 Lieutenant
 42 Commando Royal Marines
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 20:12
Re: Riders of the Storm

One last option sprung to Craigs mind as he sipped his tea:

Could we not pontoon the rafts together to make a bridge ? If we are bringing them down here mite as well go the whole hog."

This message was last edited by the player at 10:32, Sun 13 Jan 2013.

Daniel Larue
 player, 266 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 22:41
Re: Riders of the Storm
Danny nods to Griet.  "Aye-aye, Chief.  Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll go update the forecast now."  He pauses before turning away.  "When we're playing ferry, it might not be a bad idea to hand off some of our flotation gear to each raft.  And assign a couple of lookouts on deck who are handy with throwing ropes."
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 12 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sat 12 Jan 2013
at 23:10
Re: Riders of the Storm
Connolly catches Ryan as the meeting breaks up.  "Mister Carlisle, I think I heard you ask about hot water?"  She beckons for him to follow her and leads him toward the shower.  "Laundry's across the hall if you want to grab fresh BDUs."  She lowers her voice and leans in slightly, trying not to be obvious about not inhaling.  "When you're done, I'd like to pick your brain about the local situation - and our new Russian friends."
Ryan W. Carlisle, III
 player, 8 posts
 1st Lieutenant
 USMC Combat Engineer
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 00:10
Re: Riders of the Storm
"Much obliged, ma'am." Carlisle nods in response to the Major's offer of hygiene and wardrobe services and follows her out of the mess/galley and down the passageway.

As he passes LaRue, he volunteers, "I've got some pre-war experience as a wilderness EMT and time on the water if you need me to help ferry. I can also handle one of those Rooskie .50-cals."

Eight years in the Corps and six months as a P.O.W. have stripped Carlisle of any shred of modesty or shame he might have once carried and, upon reaching the shower, he isn't shy about getting naked and beginning to scrub off the last several months of caked-on dirt, grime and funk. The Major is not at all unattractive, but Carlisle avoids the cliché of inviting her to join him.

"If you've got any 20-Mule-Team Borax and some steel wool that would be great."

He considers he could probably use a good delousing, too.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:17, Sun 13 Jan 2013.

Daniel Larue
 player, 267 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 00:45
Re: Riders of the Storm
Danny grins at Carlisle.  "Kick ass, sir.  Good to have you aboard.  I've been a little worried about not having backup on the medical side.  I'll let the Chief know you can gun for us."

Hearing the lieutenant's comment as the Marine enters the shower, Danny calls around the corner, "hope you've got calluses, 'cause that soap's gonna take a few layers of skin off."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:46, Sun 13 Jan 2013.

Minh Quyen
 player, 677 posts
 Spec-4
 U.S. Army Military Police
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 06:26
Re: Riders of the Storm
Quyen readies her gear for the deteriorating weather. She puts on her wool sweater and then throws her Soviet tankers jacket on over top of that for the extra layer of warmth. She also changes her socks for a pair of clean dry ones. When that is all done she steps out of the tiny room she shared with Griet and onto the deck to smoke.

Eventually she returns to the galley to sit with the others before the patrol headed out. She wasn't sure if she was assigned yet to anything so she asks Konrad "Hauptmann. Where am I in this? The patrol?"
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 726 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 09:39
Re: Riders of the Storm
In reply to Daniel Larue (msg # 187):

"That's a very good idea,Danny," Griet said, "I'll do that and we'll have the Princess in the water ready for rescue operations too. Could you brief the Doc on preparing for hypothermia casualties as necessary?"
Daniel Larue
 player, 271 posts
 Technical Sergeant
 USAF Pararescueman
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 19:25
Re: Riders of the Storm
Danny blinks at Griet, momentarily picturing a conversation with Anneka's body bag before he realizes she must mean the 89th's medical element.  "Uh... yeah.  I'll do that once they get here.  I'll need a translator if they don't speak English.  Maybe, uh, Filipov."

Sensing Griet's obvious desire for a private conversation with Bayer, he excuses himself and seeks out Anders.
Dominique 'Boots' Connolly
 Secondary PC, 13 posts
 Major
 USAF MH-53 Pilot
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 19:52
Re: Riders of the Storm
After pulling all the intel she can from Ryan, Connolly returns to the bridge to monitor the radios.  She leans on the console, gazing pensively at the water and occasionally glancing at Anders' attempts to dismantle the Vasilek.  After a while, she frowns, glances around the tug, and pulls Kel into the bridge to take over radio watch.

Pulling up her parka's hood, she descends to the main deck and approaches Anders.  "Captain-Lieutenant... how much does that thing weigh?"  She indicates the automortar.  At his response, she nods her thanks, then resumes her peregrinations, periodically leaning out to glance over the tug's side.

Eventually, she finds Griet and Bayer and lingers just out of earshot until one of them gives her the nod to approach.  "Captains," she says by way of greeting, "I may have a very bad idea.  Griet, how much spare draft will you have under the keel between here and the north side of Torun?  And do you have anywhere at or below the waterline to attach cables?  I'm wondering if we can sling-load some of the heavy weapons to get them past the garrison..."

This message was last edited by the player at 01:52, Mon 14 Jan 2013.

Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 730 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Sun 13 Jan 2013
at 20:26
Re: Riders of the Storm
"I was thinking the same thing," Griet replied, "which is why I've asked Captain Mattson to see if it can be dismantled. I'd like as much clearance as we can because there will be some tight fits, especially over the dam. If we can make smaller packages, I'm convinced it's feasible for at least the 82mm mortar."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1514 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 14 Jan 2013
at 00:00
Re: Riders of the Storm
Others seemed to be working on the problem of hiding and transporting some of the heavy weapons so Jan focussed on the current issue of a recee of the far bank.  He went to find Konrad to make his suggestion.

"Capitaine, do you want some of us to go and recee the other bank?  I suggest that Griet take us over in the Queen rather than us going in a launch and I suggest that we scout it quickly as the Russians will be here soon and the weather is going worse.  If I take Jay and Thijs and Tuck takes Quyen and Maruisz then we can search the village as quickly as possible.  What do you think?"
Konrad Bayer
 player, 1817 posts
 Hauptmann
 Panzergrenadier
Mon 14 Jan 2013
at 03:28
Re: Riders of the Storm
Bayer listens to Griet's suggestions and nods in agreement, but says afterwards, "Don't dismantle the Vasilek yet. Keep it ready for action.

He then turns to Jan, "That's fine Jan, but just recce the far bank and village... don't try securing it."
Griet Niewiadomska
 player, 731 posts
 Polish Navy - CPO
 Krakow ORMO
Mon 14 Jan 2013
at 16:13
Re: Riders of the Storm
"Absolutely," Griet agreed, "I asked Mattson to look into the possibility, not actually do it."
Jan Cerny
 player, 1515 posts
 Czech/French
 FFL
Mon 14 Jan 2013
at 16:30
Re: Riders of the Storm
Konrad Bayer:
He then turns to Jan, "That's fine Jan, but just recce the far bank and village... don't try securing it."

"Oui mon Capitaine," replied Jan.  "If there is a problem then you have Craig, Jeff, Danny and yourself to deploy in support," he added as went off to gather Tuck, Quyen, Mariusz, Jay and Thijs together as a group and then explained what they needed to do.

"Tuck, after we land on the far bank, depending on where Griet set us down, I suggest you take Quyen and Mariusz and recee east of the landing point and I take Jay and Thijs and recee west.  If we encounter anything we are to report in and await further orders.  Ok?"
Cap'n Rae
 GM, 2780 posts
 Long-time T2K Fan
 First-time GM
Tue 15 Jan 2013
at 00:39
Re: Riders of the Storm

As requested by General Timonev, Griet eases the Krolowa away from the pier and out into the Vistula, making for the settlement across the river with a reconaissance party on board. The tug cuts perpendicular to the current, pressing foward towards the opposite bank. The riverbank rises steeply, forming a tall bluff overlooking the river, definitely steeper and perhaps even taller than Tum hill back in Plock. A few run-down structures can be seen on its crest as the tug pushes off from the west bank; by the time the two thirds of the way across the river, the structures are no longer visible.

Snow falls thick, the flakes small and wet. It's already starting to stick, coating the ground in a semi-transparent white shroud. Visibility is already limited by the dim light, the steady snow fall only makes it worse.

The tug slowly noses up to the east bank. There's a narrow, level shelf of land, maybe 30m wide, at the base of the bluff, and a trail, about two meters wide, winds up from the riverbank towards the settlement no longer visible above. Those remaining on board the tug will not be able to perform overwatch for the scouting team. The recon teams debark using the ingenuous corvus and begin to ascend the track up the bluffs.

Those that complete the climb encounter the ruins of X. A cursory search reveals no sign of recent inhabitants. The village seems to have been abandoned some time ago. There are some signs of battle damage, but the dilapidated state of the settlement seems to owe more to neglect and the elements than it does to the effects of combat. Most of the dwellings here have been cleaned out, but a few still contain some rudiments of civilian life. If they judiciously disassemble some of the structures for firewood and cram the rest full to capacity, the 89th should be able to shelter here for at least a couple of days.

The bluffs themselves offer a commanding view of the Vistula. From here, the recon team can look down into Y. With a few heavy weapons, a platoon dug in atop the heights could just about shut down river traffic. It's a good thing that no one has thought to do so prior to your arrival.


Next Moves?