Rothdar's Test (Main)   Posted by Dragondog.Group: 0
Irren Bridgeguard
 player, 342 posts
 Solamnic squire
Sat 12 Nov 2016
at 18:22
Re: Rothdar's Test
"Thank you most kindly, good sir," Irren inclined his head in thanks, and pleased at the pleasant and mutually beneficial result.  "Though the Test was here for another, and the results with some harrowing memory of loss, we have also learned much, and I think that learning will be important for the Task ahead.

"Now, to spend a bit of time with my friend Zacharias, and see what we can glean of these most generous gifts.

"Our thanks, Master Raistlin.  Paladine and Solinari watch over you."



OOC: I didn't want to fast forward until everyone has a chance to post.
As forward posting, Irren will use Identify (with Zach?) his bracers, Gor's armour, Misha's Shard.

Misha Quill
 player, 141 posts
Sun 13 Nov 2016
at 17:10
Re: Rothdar's Test
Misha was standing in the door, eager to leave wizards and their schemes far behind her. She was thoughtfully thumbing her new blade, waiting for the others to finish their dealings. Even though she had found a nice trinket for her troubles, she cared little for the attachments that came with it. She chided herself as she looked at the light reflecting off the blade. How naive she had been to think Solosan's offer had no strings attached. He was clearly trying to weave her into his plots. Scheming, bastard elf. But she was going to have none of that. She was her own woman. She hoped the others were smart enough to do the same. She could use some friends. The knight was an oddball, but the scholar seemed smart enough. The dwarf... well, he was  a dwarf all right. But you can't always pick your friends.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:10, Sun 13 Nov 2016.

Brother Zacharias
 player, 353 posts
 The world is my library.
 Hard to mop, though.
Mon 14 Nov 2016
at 00:35
Re: Rothdar's Test
Eager to be on their way, Zacharias would cast his identify spells for the warrior
Dragondog
 GM, 1974 posts
Mon 14 Nov 2016
at 18:43
Re: Rothdar's Test
[OOC: Feel free to post the process of preparing to cast the spell. Including opening the bottle and pouring the wine.]
Brother Zacharias
 player, 354 posts
 The world is my library.
 Hard to mop, though.
Mon 14 Nov 2016
at 21:20
Re: Rothdar's Test
Brother Zacharias began humming a merry tune as he prepared,  pouring wine onto the pearls , and the humming turned into a happy elven drinking song as he drank the magical mixture, speaking a Solomnic drinking salute as he did so.
He concentrated,  and looked at the armor
"I see an armor reinforced with magic, stronger than it should be, though only the beginning of such magics, and I see movement. ....whomsoever wears the armor will move with speed in battle , defeating enemies post haste."
Gor Stonehammer
 player, 196 posts
Sat 26 Nov 2016
at 21:57
Re: Rothdar's Test
Gor waits with the infinite patience of Dwarves for Zak to finish identifying the items, and inform him of the results.  His quill and pen looking almost comical in his broad hands.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:41, Mon 28 Nov 2016.

Brother Zacharias
 player, 355 posts
 The world is my library.
 Hard to mop, though.
Sun 27 Nov 2016
at 08:49
Re: Rothdar's Test
In reply to Gor Stonehammer (msg # 841):

Zach gave the dwarf a technical breakdown as well.

OOC:The armors has a +1 enhancement bonus and the wearer can act as if affected by the Haste spell ten times per day
Irren Bridgeguard
 player, 344 posts
 Solamnic squire
Sun 27 Nov 2016
at 18:41
Re: Rothdar's Test
Irren's eyes seemed to trace things beyond regular sight as he watched Zacharias weave his art to learn more of the magical items.  Each step was noted, considered, and mentally "fit in" to Irren's own understanding.

As Gor was advised of the details of his armour, Irren made his own preparations.  A slow, mental focus was clear, and with his training in battle, the squire already demonstrated his ability to drop into such a state, expanding his awareness.  His own pearl seemed lonely in the bowl, until Irren carefully twisted the cork free of the wine bottle, and measured a pour from the bottle overtop the pearl, and nudging the magical energies to flow along with the winestream.  The pearl anchored the stream and prevented the magic from simply flowing away.  Like a racing stream separated between two rocks, a pool of still clarity opened, the magical auras rising to the surface like bubbles, and their reflection showing a deeper image of the magic inlaid, much as a still pool would refract light differently of the reeds growing within it.

"Ah, yes... thank you Zacharias.  I see as well, for my bracers.  Protection... warding defensively.  And the protection from temperature.. most helpful considering the after effect of the Test on me."
Irren Bridgeguard
 player, 345 posts
 Solamnic squire
Sun 27 Nov 2016
at 21:59
Re: Rothdar's Test
"With all the dreams, prophecies, and twisted reflections from the Test, I've had to think very hard on the details I can recall, to help our decisions," the squire rubbed his temple lightly in unconscious stimulation.

He reached into his haversack and removed a leather-bound journal, which he flipped open part-way to a marked page.  A finger traced a number of neatly-penned entries, then pointed to a few to assist his recollections.

"There are many clues about the where we need to head, once we have the Key, the music box.  I may have made an error, so please correct me if so.

"I see objectives to find a good map to confirm our travel options.  Gor's dream, Shaylin's mystic prophecy - both reference gathering the box, then going by ship to Port Balifor.  Then overland, through the mountains around the city, through the Desolation, to the volcano mountain home to Membakar the Red.  From there, we must find hidden passages that lead underground.  It would seem that any maps of there would make sense.  Supplies for traversing the Desolation, underground exploration as well.

"All of that travel seems premature, however, without the Key.  Elias' dream noted:
the Key will lead you to a hero’s mirror, to the strong arm of Order, to the Voice of god, to the light of Kalaman, and to the Darkness of despair."  The Key may be required to lead us through and to where we need to go.  Or, it may be simply the lure of the hook.  Even the risk that some event or decision will only occur proprerly if we have the Key certainly suggests that going the travel route to catch Pegrin along the way is a very secondary route, next to locating Pegrin.

“Gor has seen the box, to help us identify the Key’s box, a very good thing.  I drew a rough sketch from his description, but music box seems fairly clear,
  Irren smiled wanly.  “What we know of the Key is that there is an elven female dancing inside a music box, taken from the Palace of Quinari in Silvanesti.  It is meant for our hands.  It is not a physical key, but believed to be magical words of power, or a passcode, or song with some information?  It has something to do with the protection or corruption of souls, judging from the twisted reflections we saw in the Test.  The wedding event especially struck me strongly.  The Herald said, “If the Key is held by darkness, this world will be filled with anger and rage.”

“There are supposed to be Oracles in Port Balifor with information - we were encouraged to seek out, by Zack’s master in the Test, to find aid in understanding and using the Key.  The Key was meant to come into our care and hands, so there may be something intrinsic to our spirit or touch, or words to open it safely to proper use.

“What is more particular is the finding of Pegrin.  We know him to be a renegade Takhisis knight, not honourable, and thief of the box.  The Herald stated that his link to the gods suggested that Pegrin was very dangerous to hold the Key, and would become a “Master of Chaos” in his misuse of it.  We don’t know how he looks, nor the faces of those with whom he travels.  All we know is that he does not travel alone, and he travels with fewer than ten allies.

“So… what we do know is that Pegrin was here, and may still be here.  My thoughts would be that we should check at the harbourmaster’s office, whatever tavern in nearest the docks, that shipcaptains would visit and discuss.  We can check at both about ships to Port Balifor, in case Pegrin knows that to be his next destination.

Second, we should check the town for strangers having arrived recently. The gate guards – in and outs of travellers must be recorded.
Third, the Steel Knights have a contingent here somewhere, and would be most concerned with Takhisian knights here, so while Pegrin is likely in disguise, they are the likeliest source of information.
Fourth, does anyone have contacts with the less above-board organizations?  Clearly I am not a suitable investigator there.

“If we can find Pegrin in town, we retrieve the Key.  From thence we have our destination route.

“There is one other thing.  If we cannot find Pegrin, nor signs of his departure, Kalen had a dream of a Temple of Light – presumably to Paladine, where there was betrayal by a priest of Mishakel.  Saved on wings of fire, he was carried to a ruined city of Kendar in a wasteland.  That latter part likely ties to city near Mekamber’s volcano.  It may be nothing, but with the elven flier we met recently, the dream came back to mind.

Thoughts?”

Brother Zacharias
 player, 357 posts
 The world is my library.
 Hard to mop, though.
Mon 28 Nov 2016
at 06:48
Re: Rothdar's Test
Zach smiled at his friend.
"And I thought bards were good at speeches."
He grinned and gave the warrior a good natured slap on the back.
"It sounds like a good, solid plan, my sturdy companion.  I'm in.   My status as a wandering bard and/or traveling Palanthas field researcher could be very useful in gathering information.
It sounds like we have a genuine quest on our hands.

Misha Quill
 player, 142 posts
Mon 28 Nov 2016
at 10:04
Re: Rothdar's Test
Misha stands in the door, listening to it all while scratching Grim behind his ears. All this rubbish about keys and mirrors and whatnot was beyond her. But one thing rang out to her.
"Not that I'm interested in venturing into a Red's domain and whatnot, and I still have no idea what you lot are after, but I do know my thieves. Not the local ones, mind. But I can tell ye, that if you start asking the guards questions, your mark will likely get wind and vanish if he's worth his salt."

She looked past the three of them at the magi, wondering just how much should be spoken in public about all this.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:04, Mon 28 Nov 2016.

Dragondog
 GM, 1976 posts
Mon 28 Nov 2016
at 11:15
Re: Rothdar's Test
"A pleasant journey to all of you," Solosan said. He scratched his dog's neck. And both of them vanished.
Irren Bridgeguard
 player, 346 posts
 Solamnic squire
Wed 30 Nov 2016
at 01:31
Re: Rothdar's Test
"Then shall we split up and canvas the likely areas.  Misha, I'm guessing your track-down of the underside may take longer than our direct checks, so why not take Gor with you for support.  You can check the merchanting eyes as well, since crime and coin are neighbours.  Zach and I will check the docks/harbourmaster, then the gate guards.  See what we can learn and meet for supper hour here to share information."

Misha's act reminded Irren to provide a bit of dried meat to the party's second mastiff, from the Test.  "Well, along with Coal here, and Aqee.  If this keeps up, we may tend to disguise as a menagerie," the squire chuckled as he stood, nodding respectfully to the space that had been Solosan and his hound.  "For the varied roads that have led us here, it seems good canines are a common choice or companion..."

The warrior focused on the bond he had with his familiar, drawing upon the enhancement of senses from the divination, and concentrated..
Brother Zacharias
 player, 358 posts
 The world is my library.
 Hard to mop, though.
Wed 30 Nov 2016
at 09:49
Re: Rothdar's Test
Eager to begin the investigation,  Zacharias joined his friend as he mulled over what he knew about dock life and nautical stories
Misha Quill
 player, 143 posts
Thu 1 Dec 2016
at 20:56
Re: Rothdar's Test
Misha looked at Gor skeptically.

"He doesn't exactly pass as a back-alley thug.."
Brother Zacharias
 player, 359 posts
 The world is my library.
 Hard to mop, though.
Fri 2 Dec 2016
at 05:07
Re: Rothdar's Test
In reply to Misha Quill (msg # 850):

Zach gave her a grin.
"I suspect to most of the back alley folk, all dwarves look like this if they scowl enough. "
Misha Quill
 player, 144 posts
Fri 2 Dec 2016
at 09:49
Re: Rothdar's Test
Misha rapped her knuckles into Gor's shiny armor. A clear note rang out.

"I meant that."
Brother Zacharias
 player, 360 posts
 The world is my library.
 Hard to mop, though.
Fri 2 Dec 2016
at 09:53
Re: Rothdar's Test
In reply to Misha Quill (msg # 852):

Zacharias nodded wryly,  conceding the point.
"Perhaps he could be your bodyguard,  or we could use something to make the armor look dingier or older, or, if need be, Gordon and I could trade places unless Irren needs me."
He looked at his friend for another opinion
Misha Quill
 player, 145 posts
Fri 2 Dec 2016
at 10:30
Re: Rothdar's Test
"I can turn you into a proper scoundrel.."  She smirks impishly, mischief twinkling in her eyes. "But I can do it myself if it comes to it. I've always been at it by my lonesome. Besides, I'll have Grim to watch my back. But whatever ye like."
Dragondog
 GM, 1977 posts
Fri 2 Dec 2016
at 13:58
Re: Rothdar's Test
Irren cast a spell and tried to talk to the group's three animals. Only his dog responded though.
Brother Zacharias
 player, 361 posts
 The world is my library.
 Hard to mop, though.
Sat 3 Dec 2016
at 05:55
Re: Rothdar's Test
In reply to Misha Quill (msg # 854):

Zach grinned mischievously.
"Don't let the scholarly talk fool you, m'lady.  I can be a serious scoundrel if the situation calls for it.  I like to think I can fit in anywhere."
Misha Quill
 player, 146 posts
Sat 3 Dec 2016
at 10:55
Re: Rothdar's Test
"I can hardly wait." Misha replied dubiously.

"Let's go to the market then, get us some clothes, ask some questions."
Brother Zacharias
 player, 362 posts
 The world is my library.
 Hard to mop, though.
Sat 3 Dec 2016
at 11:49
Re: Rothdar's Test
Zach looked at Irren.
"What do you say, old friend?"   Do you think we can make Gor fit in around docks, or should I go with the lovely lady Misha instead?"
Irren Bridgeguard
 player, 348 posts
 Solamnic squire
Sat 3 Dec 2016
at 23:13
Re: Rothdar's Test
"Best to remain with an ally nearby," Irren opined, offering a final treat to his mastiff and avian companions.  "If you would prefer to search with Misha for the skulking and merchanting crew, then Gor and I will check the harbour, ship inns, and gate guards for word of travelers and ship options to Port Balifor.

"I don't expect the thief to have chanced word by checking with the Tower here, because of their network.  Either he knew afore his theft of what he was stealing, or has someone ahead - perhaps the oracles - to assist his searching.  Keep your eyes and ears open, and send word if there is information found rather than risking to handle Pegrin's group.

"Paladine watch over you, and Solinari's grace to your knowledge of mysteries."


Irren paused for Gor to join, if the quiet dwarf so wished, but otherwise made to move onwards.
Dragondog
 GM, 1978 posts
Mon 5 Dec 2016
at 16:29
Re: Rothdar's Test
The four heroes departed the magic shop and split up to search for the illusive Pegrin.

[OOC: I'll be dividing you into two threads here. They'll be up in a little bit.]