21-22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Umberhulk
Tue 18 Jun 2013
at 15:41
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
The heavily injured umberhulk stands motionless, bleeding from the various wounds as it waits for any new commands.
Narrator
 GM, 330 posts
 Once upon a time...
 ...rocks fell, they died.
Tue 18 Jun 2013
at 15:56
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Goblin Camp Battle - End Round Three.

Init Order:
Lucretia     26
Hobgoblin    25
Ceely        24
Merrell      21
Dorn         16
Milo         10
Blondung      9
Bugbears #1&2 8
Yvandel       5
"Knights"     5
Goblins       3
Bugbear #3    3
Umberhulk     1


Luc up next!

Lucretia
 The Unknowns (Volkan, 734 posts
 HP 84/84 AC 23/18/15 IN+4
 FOR+9 REF+6 WIL+0
Thu 20 Jun 2013
at 20:57
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Luc does not hesitate or pause to take in the sight in front of him. Out of pure reflex his blades flash out at the goblin in front of him.


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
23:55, Today: Lucretia rolled 15,12,7,27,6,7,14,9,13,9,9,10,7 using 1d20+12,1d8+5,2d6,1d20+12,1d8+5,2d6,1d20+12,1d6+6,1d20+7,1d8+5,2d6,1d20+7,1d6+6 with rolls of 3,7,2,5,15,1,6,1,2,3,6,4,3,6,3,1. Full Standard Attack Dam: Long/Long/Short/Long/Short.


Before the lifeless body of the goblin meets the ground Luc is already moving  towards his next target...


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Move to AM83


DM EDIT: Note - Haste gives you one extra attack when you use the full-attack option.  It doesn't give you an extra move action as well...  Luckily, your first strike took out the goblin, so I'll just ignore all the other attacks and continue with the move.

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:50, Fri 21 June 2013.

Hobgoblin
Fri 21 Jun 2013
at 10:01
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard

Twisting free of the grasping tentacles, the hobgoblin lunges free of Merrell's spell, spitting curses.  "[Language unknown:  Wahite riouca les ngchwa ei!]" he yells to any of his surviving companions, racing away from the battlefield and rapidly disappearing in the bushes.


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Double Move: -AL,41 to ???
Double Move:


Ceely
 The Unknowns (Rob), 445 posts
 HP 63/63 AC 18/14/14 IN+4
 FOR+8 REF+10 WIL+5
Fri 21 Jun 2013
at 13:00
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
 Using the foliage as a partial shield against the enemy, she trust out with the heavy harpoon and brought it back as a slashing attack with the barbs to try and end this combat as quickly and quietly as possible.

07:56, Today: Ceely rolled 24,24,5,7 using d20+12,d20+7,d8+3,d8+3. vs enemy at V/45

This message was last edited by the player at 13:01, Fri 21 June 2013.

Merrell
 The Unknowns (Don), 688 posts
 HP 30/30 AC 20/12/16 IN+4
 FOR+2 REF+6 WIL+10
Sun 23 Jun 2013
at 05:16
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
He heard the screams of the goblins who got caught in his spell. But when he heard the shout from the Hobgoblin the wizard knew he had gotten free of the tentacles. He looked for him in the brush but he had run too far into the thicket for Merrell to spot him again.
He had missed his opportunity to rid the world of an evil creature and the wizard silently berated himself.

Even though he had been the one to say they needed to refrain from using a lot of spells he could not let the last goblin he could see get away. The wizard began his spell.

With sharp hand and finger motions and spitting the words of power he sent 4 magical bolts of energy to kill the goblin ahead of him. The bolts travel between the large legs of the Umber hulk and straight on to hit their target.


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
Standard action: Magic Missile to Goblin -AR 56
23:05, Today: Merrell rolled 15 using 4d4+4. MM to goblin -AR 56.


This message was last edited by the player at 13:24, Sun 23 June 2013.

Narrator
 GM, 331 posts
 Once upon a time...
 ...rocks fell, they died.
Sun 23 Jun 2013
at 19:40
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Ceely proves her skill with the harpoon as she guts the bugbear like an overgrown hairy fish.  Merrell fires a burst of magic missiles off towards the fleeing goblin, taking it down.  Lucretia catches up with the still confused goblin and takes its head off.  The battlefield calms as the ones that had fled into the bushes make good their escape.

OOC: Battle over.
Milo
 The Unknowns(Edmond), 633 posts
 HP 64/64 AC 21/19/16 in+0
 Fort+9 / Refl+2 / Will+10
Tue 25 Jun 2013
at 17:24
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
 When Ceely retrieves the harpoon from the fallen bugbear, her eyes meet Milo's who was standing just behind the monster. He lowers his bloodied mace and nods before turning around to assess the situation.

 The goblins are retreating, but it does not bode well for their safety in the near future... who could tell what kind of reinforcement these creatures may have in the area ? Yet running after them would be a folly.

 The priest looks around and makes eye contact with each of his companion, silently asking whether they require his assistance. Should that be the case, he would call on the divine powers of the Broken One to mend body and soul.
  "Retrospectively..." he mutters almost to himself. "It makes perfect sense. Even bloodthirsty monsters try and avoid pain and injury on themselves when facing overwhelming force..."

 Somehow though, the Initiate of Ilmater felt relieved... monster they may be, but he did not enjoy taking part in the meticulous and organized annihilation of their kind, especially when they did not initiate the combat.
Merrell
 The Unknowns (Don), 689 posts
 HP 30/30 AC 20/12/16 IN+4
 FOR+2 REF+6 WIL+10
Wed 26 Jun 2013
at 00:59
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Merrell came out of his hole, taking care not to look directly at the Umber Hulk. He really regretted not being able to kill all of these creatures. That is a mistake that may come back to haunt them.

He looks around the battlefield, dismisses his Black Tentacle spell and sees if the two goblins close to him have anything worth keeping. He was very sure they did not but one never knows.

He felt a bit of sorrow for having to kill the things but, they are evil creatures. They would kill us if the roles were reversed and they would not feel this small bit of remorse that the wizard now felt. That is one of the things that separate us, the men and the monsters.
But, seeing the faces of the friends and loved ones he has lost over these few short months made him ask himself a question. Do these creatures morn their dead companions? He would assume not but, again, one never knows...


After looking over the bodies he calls out to his companions, who by this time had came out of the trees, "I would like to put the bodies in the hole. I will instruct the Umber Huik to close off one end of the tunnel while a couple of you go get the horses to help bring the bodies over here."
Blondung
 The Unknowns (NPC), 190 posts
 HP 48/48 AC 16/12/16 IN+4
 FOR+2 REF+7 WIL+6
Wed 26 Jun 2013
at 07:04
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
"Good" he says satisfied as he moves into the clearing.  "Shame we didn't get the hobgoblin, he seemed to be the one calling the shots with that group"

Glancing over towards Merrell and the umberhulk, he scowls.  "Can you get that thing to move away for a bit whilst we work then?" he calls over.   "It gives me a headache looking at the thing."
Narrator
 GM, 332 posts
 Once upon a time...
 ...rocks fell, they died.
Wed 26 Jun 2013
at 07:11
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
In short order, the bodies of the several goblins and the one bugbear are gathered together and somewhat unceremoniously dumped into the hole.  Calling the umberhulk back, Merrell issues a number of brief commands and the umberhulk fills in the hole, burying the unlucky goblinoids before being dismissed by the Cormyrn mage.

The sky is starting to darken as the group make their camp, fetching the horses up the steep bank from the river trail and tethering them to a tree close by.  Off in the distance, probably a half-mile away, a faint horn is heard a couple of times.
Blondung
 The Unknowns (NPC), 191 posts
 HP 48/48 AC 16/12/16 IN+4
 FOR+2 REF+7 WIL+6
Wed 26 Jun 2013
at 07:13
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
"Probably that damn hobgoblin summoning the survivors to him" mutters Blondung.  "I do hope they choose not to return here tonight" he adds, as he considers the prospect of a night tied up with possible enemies in the woods nearby.
Yvandel
 The Unknowns (Todd), 583 posts
 HP 36/36 AC 17/14/13 IN+3
 FOR+2 REF+5 WIL+7
Wed 26 Jun 2013
at 12:57
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Yv seemed to not be paying that much attention until Blonddung's comment caught his attention.'Wait... We're still planning on camping here?  Don't you think it's almost a given that they'll attack?   Probably not directly, but be watching and waiting and then use bows when we're vulnerable?  I could use a locate spell to track him and know for sure, but I was to trying to save my spells.'
Ceely
 The Unknowns (Rob), 446 posts
 HP 63/63 AC 18/14/14 IN+4
 FOR+8 REF+10 WIL+5
Wed 26 Jun 2013
at 13:54
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
The effort to clean the blade of the harpoon took a bit of extra care to remove the hair and bloody flesh off the gouges and the blade point. Still soon enough it was clean and not likely to infect her with the rotting disease that can poison weapons.

 She helped bring the horse's back to the wide campsite and run a line to harness the horse's to for the night. She listened to the horn call and run thru the memory of the different calls of troops that had certain sounds and rhythms to maneuver the troops to see if she had heard that kind of call before.

 Later as they set around the fire she shrugged at the idea of fleeing the enemy at this time of day. "I would guess from the size of this troop and the form of the enemy, that it could have been a raiding force or a simple patrol. If they have other troops nearby then the enemy can call them out, though in truth i have never heard of their kind doing so for vengeance."
Milo
 The Unknowns(Edmond), 634 posts
 HP 64/64 AC 21/19/16 in+0
 Fort+9 / Refl+2 / Will+10
Wed 26 Jun 2013
at 19:57
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
 Milo will check on his comrades ( ooc : anyone wounded ?) and tend to their wounds if any.

  "Camping here is not the best of ideas... even disorganized and outnumbered, they could proved deadly if they chose to attack at night while we sleep... and who can tell what monstrous creature they may have enthralled ?"
 His eyes flickered to the umber hulk, which was just finishing the grim task of burying corpses in the tunnel. They, too, had a monstrous thrall ; even if it was magic in nature, it raised a philosophical question.

  "Did any of catch the words of the hobgoblin ? What was that, goblin tongue ? It may help us understand what we could be facing."

 The cleric cleaned his bloodied mace with patches of dirt and weeds before using a cloth. He wanted to avoid the stench of goblin blood on his equipment as much as possible.
Blondung
 The Unknowns (NPC), 192 posts
 HP 48/48 AC 16/12/16 IN+4
 FOR+2 REF+7 WIL+6
Wed 26 Jun 2013
at 21:16
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
"Look at the sky" Blondung urges Yvandel.  "It is starting to get dark... we won't have long before the first call comes"  He glances around the others.  "I think those goblins will be too scared to return any time soon.  We could get the umber hulk to dig us a hollow to hide in in the meantime and those untied could keep watch and release us if they appear..."  There is a unusual tremor of fear in Blondung's voice - this episode with the call of the lich lords is obviously starting to unsettle him.

He glances at Ceely with the horses.  "I confess I don't relish the alternative that was suggested earlier by someone - being trussed up and tied to a horse for the night."
Merrell
 The Unknowns (Don), 691 posts
 HP 30/30 AC 20/12/16 IN+4
 FOR+2 REF+6 WIL+10
Wed 26 Jun 2013
at 22:15
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
"I wish we had the luxury of time so that we could choose our stopping place more carefully" the wizard said with a huff, "but, alas, we do not."

"Yv do you have the spell Hallucinatory Terrain available to you? We could use it to cover the entrance to the cavern that the Umber Hulk can make under the trees for us to rest." The wizard knew they needed rest. It was only a matter of time before the bickering begins. Tempers are sure to get short, especially Luc's. His mood has been edgy for a while now. That damned brooch is eating away at his resolve and making him angry as a result.
Yvandel
 The Unknowns (Todd), 584 posts
 HP 36/36 AC 17/14/13 IN+3
 FOR+2 REF+5 WIL+7
Wed 26 Jun 2013
at 23:25
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Yv shakes his head, 'Sorry.  I don't. '. Turning to Blonddung , he shrugs,'We're not getting good sleep either way.  If we moved at night, we'd be able to get good rest during the day.  But, I seem to be in the minority for that plan.  Dig the hole, tie us up and hope for the best I guess.'

Yv seemed very exhausted and down trodden and simply had no energy to argue or bicker about the plan.'
Lucretia
 The Unknowns (Volkan, 735 posts
 HP 84/84 AC 23/18/15 IN+4
 FOR+9 REF+6 WIL+0
Thu 27 Jun 2013
at 01:17
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Luc returns to the group after dispatching the goblin. His face drops visibly after noticing that some of the enemy had escaped.

"Some raid that was" he says with discontent in his voice. "I thought the idea was to let none escape! Now we have the risk of them returning in greater force."

Shaking his head he continues, "We could have avoided them altogether. It is disheartening that we cannot best even such feeble adversaries. I am almost sorry we parted with the tracker. He could have helped us track those beasts down."

Gathering his equipment he starts readying Thunderbolt as he says "I say we get as much distance from this place with a hard ride before the calls start and then make plans on digging or camping"
Blondung
 The Unknowns (NPC), 193 posts
 HP 48/48 AC 16/12/16 IN+4
 FOR+2 REF+7 WIL+6
Thu 27 Jun 2013
at 20:13
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
"The call could happen any time soon!" he protests.   "Do you really want to be on the back of your horse when it happens?" he asks.
Yvandel
 The Unknowns (Todd), 585 posts
 HP 36/36 AC 17/14/13 IN+3
 FOR+2 REF+5 WIL+7
Thu 27 Jun 2013
at 23:37
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
'I rather be tied to a moving horse than stuck in a hole with potential enemies knowing where I am.  But, it's fine.  Just get me tied up before I try to swim the river.'
Blondung
 The Unknowns (NPC), 194 posts
 HP 48/48 AC 16/12/16 IN+4
 FOR+2 REF+7 WIL+6
Fri 28 Jun 2013
at 09:57
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
"Milo, what is your decision?" says Blondung.
Milo
 The Unknowns(Edmond), 635 posts
 HP 64/64 AC 21/19/16 in+0
 Fort+9 / Refl+2 / Will+10
Fri 28 Jun 2013
at 13:24
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
  "Let us camp here. We will keep a wary watch throughout the night, and if these animals return, I am confident that we can best them, with Ilmater's help."

 The choice of words might sound like a command, but Milo's tone and voice make it clear that he does not want to impose his view on others. If anything it sounds like a suggestion.
Dorn
 The Unknowns(Robbie), 394 posts
 HP 93/93 AC 24/23/11 IN+1
 FOR+12 REF+3 WIL+0
Fri 28 Jun 2013
at 13:39
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Dorn returns after losing track of the hobgobber in the brush and woods.  He stands quietly watching, hearing the shortness and indecisions in the conversation, the humans are straining, fraying at their edges, we need to get away from this cursed place and its calls; it is taking a heavy toll on them, all of us .

"Mah vote is ta secure the place best we can, and make one more miserable night of it.  When the last call sounds in the early morning, we ride out of this place, we've gotta be close now to the border, then, we sleep for a week!"
Narrator
 GM, 335 posts
 Once upon a time...
 ...rocks fell, they died.
Sat 6 Jul 2013
at 16:51
Re: 22nd Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
After arguing for a few minutes about the pros and cons of riding on or staying put, a decision is made and Merrell directs his injured umber hulk to start construction of some sort of cave for the group to rest in.  There is no further sound of the hobgoblin's horn in the distance, and once the umberhulk is dismissed, the group finally make their camp, pulling out the ropes to start binding the humans out of sight of any who might be watching from the forest.

Suddenly, as Dorn is just starting to tie the ropes around Lucretia's wrists, the human warrior stiffens, hearing the mental call of the lich's from across the river.  Gritting his teeth, Lucretia glances across at Milo, Yvandel and Blondung, the three of them also grimacing as they resist the sudden urge to rush down towards the river.

Soon, the ropes are finished being tied and, from the lich's call at least, the group feel safe.

Making the best of a bad situation, the others do their best to rest, keeping a nervous watch for revenge seeking goblins, but it seems their attack on the goblinoid camp was obviously far too intimidating, as the night passes quietly - the only thing disturbing their rest being the frequent call from the lich lords.