26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Yvandel
 The Unknowns (Phil), 671 posts
 HP 36/36 AC 17/14/13 IN+3
 FOR+2 REF+5 WIL+7
Thu 26 Jun 2014
at 12:04
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Yv smiles at Blondung's comment and simply says, "It is an adaption. An old story I was told some years ago by a pair of knowledgeable minds. Before I met up with you guys. I just kind of let it change to suit our purposes, without losing the thread on which the story hangs."

Looking over at Merrell, Yv adds, "Thank you Merrell. That was the intent. Enough truth to hold them, and enough to accept our help."

Yv almost laughs, and Dolo makes a brief appearance to add, "But if we fight, who will keep young Yv out of trouble! Besides, we prefer to watch from a safe distance fair lady!"

Gently placing the puppet down again, Yv continues to smile, appreciating the praise.
Ceely
 The Unknowns (Rob), 529 posts
 HP 63/63 AC 18/14/14 IN+4
 FOR+8 REF+10 WIL+5
Mon 30 Jun 2014
at 02:56
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
 She heads out and makes the walk back to the magic item emporium and entered the building as the sun begins falling behind the walls of the city.

 Catching the eye of the merchant she talked to before, "Hi, thought i would take a walk before the ale caught up to me and check on my weapon that is being enchanted some more. Any word yet?."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:57, Mon 30 June 2014.

Narrator
 GM, 469 posts
 Once upon a time...
 ...rocks fell, they died.
Wed 2 Jul 2014
at 06:17
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
The shopkeeper and the bespectacled wizard are still present when Ceely arrives, apparently waiting for her to arrive.  The wizard looks pleased with himself, and smiles broadly when Ceely arrives.  Turning on his heel, he disappears through a bead curtain at the back of the shop, the beads rattling in his passing.

"You have arrived in good time" says Pralever  coming forward to greet her.   "And I hope you haven't imbibed too much ale, I believe you're going to need to throw a harpoon once or twice, and I'd rather you didn't throw it too inaccurately!" he adds with a stern look, though his eyes twinkle and it is clear he isn't too worried.

"If you would be so good as to come through here" he gestures for Ceely to follow .  Following the wizard and Pralever through the bead curtain, Ceely finds a workshop where she can see her harpoon laid out on a workbench.  The weapon seems to float a hand span above the surface of the work-top, and there are faint traceries of light that can be seen lying across its surface - a network of lines that seem to enclose it like a fine fishing net almost.  These lines coalesce at the natural balance point of the weapon.

"Step forward if you would and place your hand on the weapon where the light is - where you would normally hold it for throwing" instructs the wizard.  "Grip it firmly and hold for a moment, but don't move the harpoon from where it actually is.  In your mind, call the harpoon to you - give it a specific mental image if you will." he adds.  "When I give the nod, simply withdraw your hand" he says.

As Ceely follows his instructions, the wizard stands next to her and sprinkles some sort of dust over her hand, murmuring some arcane words.  The fine lines of light seems to unfold from the weapon a little, before re-wrapping around Ceely's hand.

After a minute of this, the wizard nods, and Ceely withdraws her hand.  The traceries of light seem to remain on her hand, and yet also connected by a thicker cord to the harpoon - the line stretching as Ceely moves her hand further away.

"And repeat with your other hand now" blurts the wizard, pausing his arcane mutterings for a moment.  "Same mental call" he adds.

Again, the traceries pass to her other hand, forming a web that goes between her two hands and the harpoon.  Finally, the wizard completes his spells and the web seems to constrict, before disappearing under Ceely's skin and into the weapon's surface.  The thread between them slowly fades from view and the weapon settles slowly onto the wooden surface of the work bench.

"I have made an arcane connection between you and the weapon" explains the wizard.  "Now, when you issue that mental call, the harpoon will relocate from wherever it is, into your hands.   If your hands are full, it will fall at your feet instead."

Taking a step back from Ceely, he nods.  "Try it!" he urges.

Ceely visualises the harpoon in her hand - calling it in the same way she had whilst the spell was being cast.  Suddenly the weapon disappears from the workbench and appears in her right hand, ready for throwing.

"It will favour your right hand, though if that hand is already holding something, then it will appear in your left instead."

"If you want to try throwing it, you could aim it at that" suggests Pralever from his position close to the bead curtain, nodding towards a somewhat scarred wooden door at the very back of the work-room.  "Try not to miss" he adds dryly.
Ceely
 The Unknowns (Rob), 530 posts
 HP 63/63 AC 18/14/14 IN+4
 FOR+8 REF+10 WIL+5
Thu 3 Jul 2014
at 15:10
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
 Lifting the very familiar weapon she balanced it for several seconds and could notice a lightness that was not there before,a responsiveness to maneuvers that seemed much lighter to her mind.

 She looked at the dark wood door not so far away for her. Bracing her feet she set the form but her mind was still looking for the weight and was faintly protesting about the light weight as she rocked herself forward to put her strength behind the throw at the door.

 The harpoon flew straight and pierced the door, leaving the iron shaft barely visible before the wood hand grips. She shook her hands to loosen them and mentally commanded the harpoon to return to her hands.
Yvandel
 The Unknowns (Phil), 672 posts
 HP 36/36 AC 17/14/13 IN+3
 FOR+2 REF+5 WIL+7
Thu 3 Jul 2014
at 16:19
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Yv finished the ale he had in front of him, and looked at the others. "So, who is joining me in seeing if we can convince the caravan crew over there that a trip east with us would be a worthwhile endeavour?"
Narrator
 GM, 470 posts
 Once upon a time...
 ...rocks fell, they died.
Wed 9 Jul 2014
at 23:30
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Ceely:
She shook her hands to loosen them and mentally commanded the harpoon to return to her hands.


Her hands tingle for a second, and then the harpoon disappears from the door to reappear into her hands.  The wizard nods satisfied, and starts packing up his tools of the trade.

The shopkeeper also nods, pleased that the only thing damaged was the door.  "Are you happy with the work?" he asks over his shoulder as he moves over the door, brushing it with his left hand, the hole in the door seeming to mend under his touch.
Blondung
 The Unknowns (NPC), 219 posts
 HP 48/48 AC 16/12/16 IN+4
 FOR+2 REF+7 WIL+6
Wed 9 Jul 2014
at 23:32
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Blondung shakes his head, but glances towards Milo, the large Painbearer an obvious choice, simply because of him being a cleric of a well known "good" god.
Ceely
 The Unknowns (Rob), 531 posts
 HP 63/63 AC 18/14/14 IN+4
 FOR+8 REF+10 WIL+5
Wed 9 Jul 2014
at 23:42
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
 She rolls the spine of the harpoon and gains a feel for how it wanted to throw and nodded, the spline had not shifted. "All is well and the weapon is quality done. I accept and will pass on the bragging of this shop and its contract mage."

 With a few last minute questions about any further payments she slips the solid weapon into the carrier and felt it slide into the dimension pocket to rest comfortably against her back.

 With a nod she heads on back to the inn. She will be observant to any she passes that looked much to interested in her and what she carried with her.
Dorn
 The Unknowns(Robbie), 435 posts
 HP 93/93 AC 24/23/11 IN+1
 FOR+12 REF+3 WIL+0
Sun 13 Jul 2014
at 03:08
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Dorn sips on his drinks, nibbling food and listens to Yv's long story, pulling on his beard once and awhile, those puppets often scratch at his nerves.  When it ends, he takes another drink, and mumbles, only to himself, "Ah don't get it"..
Ceely
 The Unknowns (Rob), 532 posts
 HP 63/63 AC 18/14/14 IN+4
 FOR+8 REF+10 WIL+5
Tue 15 Jul 2014
at 01:17
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
 She is once again fully equipped with her gear so she is ready to once more roam the outside and see about the troubles with the merchant trade. Finding the table with her friends still there she guessed most would be a bit sloshed but she could deal with that.

 Sitting down she looked over the patrons at other tables for any interesting faces or worrisome faces she did not like.

 Sitting down at he table she softly speaks to the others," Any jobs going out from here?."
Yvandel
 The Unknowns (Phil), 673 posts
 HP 36/36 AC 17/14/13 IN+3
 FOR+2 REF+5 WIL+7
Tue 15 Jul 2014
at 09:36
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Yv welcomed Ceely back, spotting her newly spelled harpoon, and said, "I was about to go over and open discussion with the caravan who were in last night. I don't know if anyone else wants to join me though?"

Yv waits for a moment, before getting to his feet and moving over slowly to the table of rough caravan men and women he had seen the night before, and who had been the main target for his story. Volo and Dolo hang around his neck comfortably, and Yv is warming to the task already.
Milo
 The Unknowns(Edmond), 717 posts
 HP 72/72 AC 17/13/10 in+0
 Fort+9 / Refl+3 / Will+10
Wed 16 Jul 2014
at 13:59
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
 Milo places a warm and callous hand on the illusionist's shoulder.
  "I will accompany you. My words may not always be the most seducing, but I trust myself as a judge of human nature. I'd rather you do the talking, I'll see how they react to it."

 He walked with Yvandel towards the caravan men, a modest smile on his face.
  "Howdy fellows," he simply said, and let the puppet master open the discussion.
Caravan Leader
Wed 16 Jul 2014
at 21:16
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
The group fall silent as Milo and Yvandel approach, curious as to what the puppeteer and the large Painbearer would have to say.  "'Evenin'" replies the man that seemed to be the leader of the group to Milo's greeting.  He is a serious looking fellow with neat short combed hair, a thick mustache, a well weathered face and deep lines that tell of a long life spent on the road. "Impressive talent young man" he nods towards Yvandel, acknowledging the puppeteers skill.  "Not quite sure what the story was about, but entertaining nevertheless" he adds.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:51, Tue 22 July 2014.

Yvandel
 The Unknowns (Phil), 674 posts
 HP 36/36 AC 17/14/13 IN+3
 FOR+2 REF+5 WIL+7
Thu 17 Jul 2014
at 11:34
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
"Just an old story about finding help in unexpected places. A friend told it to me a long time ago, and I thought it appropriate for the moment. And thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Perhaps a drink while we talk?" Yv waited to hear whether the man would share a drink with them, standing in a relaxed position until invited to sit, content to stand if needed. Yv didn't know of any customs these men might have, so kept an open mind about being offered a chair at their table.

"My name is Yv, and this is a fellow traveller, Milo. I understand you have a caravan that you are looking to take east, but the current conditions make that impossible. We were looking to go in that direction ourselves, and we've only been here a day and not heard from travellers what awaits us to the east. What have you heard?"

This message was last edited by the player at 11:36, Thu 17 July 2014.

Caravan Leader
Thu 17 Jul 2014
at 19:18
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
"Well met Yvandel, Milo" responds the Caravan Leader, nodding to each in turn.  "Sure,

"My name is Rostrum, of Rostrum Caravans" he says introducing himself.  He speaks with a fairly strong southern drawl, definitely not a Sword Coast accent, and he gestures towards his companions, rattling off a number of similar sounding names that both Milo and Yvandel barely catch.  Each man sat at the table nods briefly as his name was mentioned though by the end of the round, neither the puppeteer nor the Painbearer are much clearer on exactly who was who or how to pronounce their names.

"We were looking to go east, till we heard what has been going on recently..." continues the man, gesturing for Milo and Yvandel to take a seat whilst simultaneously waving for ales to be brought.  A couple of the caravaners shuffle down to make room on the long trestle benches as Milo and Yvandel squeeze in.

"We had hoped to make more of a profit in Llork, and then take the long trip east through the Dawn Trail with a Zhentarim guide, but..."  He looks sour.  "I care not to be the next victims of whatever it is that keeps destroying caravans, so now we think to head back..."  He shrugs and takes a swig of his ale.  "Or maybe we wait here a week to see if the way clears."

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:51, Tue 22 July 2014.

Yvandel
 The Unknowns (Phil), 675 posts
 HP 36/36 AC 17/14/13 IN+3
 FOR+2 REF+5 WIL+7
Mon 21 Jul 2014
at 16:59
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Yv nods, understanding some of the concerns of caravan leaders if routes are not open for trade. Balancing risk against profit was something Yv believed he was not cut out for, but it seemed Rostrum was.

"I can understand that. But what is blocking the way east? We have not heard anything yet, but this is only our first real evening here where we can hear the news. Is there a particular pattern or signature to the attacks? As we came in, we came across an old battle field to the east of the city as well, so you might not be able to go back either. Almost like someone trying to cut people off from something."

"A bit like Umm, Hollow and those others stuck in the forest. I wonder if we have a potential Moel Tarl out there to help us out as well?"
Yv said, raising his eyebrow slightly in a questioning way, seeing if Rostrum, or others in the caravan made a connection he had subtley laid...
Ceely
 The Unknowns (Rob), 533 posts
 HP 63/63 AC 18/14/14 IN+4
 FOR+8 REF+10 WIL+5
Mon 21 Jul 2014
at 22:35
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
 She sat and sipped at her drink and watched the merchants with Yvandel and now and then letting her eyes sweep the tables near them for others who might be listening a bit to intently at what was being said at the merchants table.

 She was disturbed by a drunk man who appeared to be some kind of drover, at least he stank like a drover,...he muttered something about how beautiful she was and how he would like to take her to bed with him.

 She let the cold fury show in her eye as if she would ever consider him as a bed partner. Hooking her leg behind the drunks leg she kicked the backside of his knee  and shoved at the same time with battle hardened muscles as he collapsed into the table next to her where they were playing a card game of some kind. She kind of secretly hoped the drunk would be stupid enough to try and attack her.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:48, Tue 22 July 2014.

Rostrum - Caravan Leader
Tue 22 Jul 2014
at 22:00
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
In reply to Yvandel (msg # 166):

"The gods know what is actually there... we've been asking around town all day and had half a dozen different opinions on what may or may not be attacking travellers..."  He shakes his head bitterly.

As Yvandel mentions their passing signs of a battle to the east, the merchant frowns.  "We didn't see any signs of battle on the way here, and we arrived the same day you did" he adds.

As Yvandel references his own story, subtly hinting perhaps that the party could help... the merchant shakes his head.  "I don't think I can risk the lives of my men, or my own for that matter, on an unknown.  If we knew what we faced out there, then it might be a different story..."


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
22:57, Today: Narrator, on behalf of Yvandel, rolled 13 using 1d20+6. Diplomacy Roll to persuade Merchant.
OOC: I gave you a bonus based upon your story...


Yvandel
 The Unknowns (Phil), 676 posts
 HP 36/36 AC 17/14/13 IN+3
 FOR+2 REF+5 WIL+7
Wed 23 Jul 2014
at 12:13
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Yv nodded his head as he looked across to Milo. "I can understand your desire to protect your investments. It would do no-one any good to lose their livelihoods, or their lives, without preparing appropriately for what is ahead. Rostrum, do any of the stories you have heard hold more water than others?"

"I for one might consider going east to find out what is going on, and then coming back to let everyone know the true threat. Perhaps I can convince my fellow travellers to join me on a little trip out of this place, although I think some are rather enjoying the chance to sleep on feather beds! I know I am."
Yv looks over to the others in the Unknowns, as if considering for a moment and then continues, "How long are you willing to wait for a path to the east to become open Rostrum?"
Rostrum - Caravan Leader
Wed 23 Jul 2014
at 23:13
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
"You'd be mad to go out there alone, but if the lot of you went... some of you look like you can handle yourselves I guess... and made it to Llork and back - then I guess we could still be here in two days time..."
Yvandel
 The Unknowns (Phil), 677 posts
 HP 36/36 AC 17/14/13 IN+3
 FOR+2 REF+5 WIL+7
Thu 24 Jul 2014
at 08:45
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
"Llork and back in two days? An interesting challenge. And as you say, some of them seem to be able to handle themselves. Luckily for me, anyways. I will see what the others feel about it. And thank you for the drink and company, and your kind words for Volo and Dolo." Yv says, indicating the puppet hanging from his shoulder when he sees Rostrum's quizical look. Taking a last sip of the ale, Yv looks to Milo to see if he wants to add anything, before he prepares to go back to the table with the other Unknowns.

"Oh, Rostrum, is there anyone in Llork you'd like to pass a message onto? Let them know you are on your way through?"
Rostrum - Caravan Leader
Thu 24 Jul 2014
at 16:28
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
"Did I say two days to Llork and back?  I meant Orlbar.  Probably take four days to do the round trip to Llork."  He frowns in thought for a moment, then shakes his head.  'There are people in Llork that I deal with, but they'll only be interested if I can get there... though if you do get through, seek out Ernst Slavin - he can send a message back here..."
Yvandel
 The Unknowns (Phil), 678 posts
 HP 36/36 AC 17/14/13 IN+3
 FOR+2 REF+5 WIL+7
Tue 29 Jul 2014
at 07:58
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
"Ernst Slavin. Sure, when we get there I'll see him and he'll send a message back." Looking around the table Yv says, "Well gentlemen, thank you for the information and the drink. Safe journeys."

Yv moves back to the group of Unknowns and sits for a moment, thinking things through.
Yvandel
 The Unknowns (Phil), 680 posts
 HP 36/36 AC 17/14/13 IN+3
 FOR+2 REF+5 WIL+7
Wed 30 Jul 2014
at 12:10
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Yv takes his time telling the others about his and Milo's conversation with Rostrum, and how much information is not out there about the enemy they are likely to find.

"Well, shall we try and move east in the morning? Has everyone collected everything they need for further travelling? I'm done, so ready to go in the morning if needed." Yv says, letting Volo and Dolo slide into his hands as he relaxes.

"Would be good to get out of here, for all of us I suspect."
Blondung
 The Unknowns (NPC), 220 posts
 HP 48/48 AC 16/12/16 IN+4
 FOR+2 REF+7 WIL+6
Sun 3 Aug 2014
at 07:25
Re: 26th Eleasias (Highsun) 1370 - Year of the Takard
Blondung nods.  "Yeah, sooner we get out of here the better" he mutters into his drink.