A simple small logging town...   Posted by DM Doom.Group: archive Z
Gorak Turast
 player, 23 posts
 The hammer sings
 The tune of the smith...
Thu 28 May 2009
at 11:40
Re: A Night in the Woods.
Gorak let out an interested grunt as the human came out of the room bearing the mushroom. "Atleast we know you were not lead astray in the knowledge you were given." He said, glancing down the hall.
DM Doom
 GM, 371 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Sat 6 Jun 2009
at 01:43
Re: A Night in the Woods.
After you finish investigating the closet the group takes a look up and down the hall. As they find themselves preparing to take a look in the chapel a noise is heard further down the hall drawing the groups attention. Moving cautiously down and around the bend you find a door cracked open ever so slightly. You approach with weapons at the ready and give the door a push to reveal:

This small study looks like it has been lived in recently. Gnawed bones litter the floor and tufts of gray fur can be seen here and there. An old stone desk sits in the center of the chamber, scratched and cracked in many places. The stench of wet fur hangs heavy in the air.

The source of the stench is there as well and reveal themselves as the door creaks open. Two wolves stalk out from behind the desk apparently guarding the entrance to another chamber off to the entrances left. They give a growl before combat begins.

OOC: Trying to speed things up. You'll all have a chance to explore this further later.

Round 1
Initiative

Bryan
Gorak
Siala
Andra (NPC)
Wolves
Siala Arivanna
 player, 143 posts
Sat 6 Jun 2009
at 11:21
Re: A Night in the Woods.
"Quiet, friends, we mean you no harm", Siala says to the wolves. "Just go away."

OOC: Siala Arivanna rolled 14 using 1d20+3. wild empathy.
Bryan Hawthorn
 player, 157 posts
 My Destiny Awaits!
Sat 6 Jun 2009
at 17:42
Re: A Night in the Woods.
"I think canines hate me. And I don't think they're going to listen."

He grumbles at that as he reaches for arcane energy, realizing he'd need every last bit of real arcane power later. The power of frost responded easily, as if he was born to it.

The orb began to form in his hand, but he waited to see what the half orc would do. After all, it was best to put all the effort into taking one down fast.

OOC: Holding action until Gorak attacks, then casting Ray of Frost at the target he attacks. If he doesnt attack, just going total defense.
Gorak and Andra
Wed 10 Jun 2009
at 10:56
Re: A Night in the Woods.
Gorak holds his action letting Siala try handling the wolves. Upon seeing the beasts still coming forward Gorak charges them in turn bringing his warhammer to bear upon one of the beasts. It makes a solid hit causing the wolf to let out a yelp of pain. Andra, meanwhile moves forward and swings her greataxe at the beast, unfortunately the room is a little cramped and the swing was too high. Bryan gathers the cold energy that had coalesced about his hand and points at the wolf that Gorak clubbed and lets loose a ray of frost striking the wounded creature.

The wolves react quickly focusing on the larger half orc, one snapping at him in an attempt to distract while the other tried biting him. While the first wolf succeeded in drawing the half orcs attention the second wolfs bite was unable to find purchase with the clerics armor doing nothing for the beasts.

Round 2.
Siala
Gorak
Bryan
Andra (NPC)
Wolves
[Private to GM: Wolf 1: 14hp Wolf 2: 6hp]

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:58, Wed 10 June 2009.

Gorak Turast
 player, 24 posts
 The hammer sings
 The tune of the smith...
Wed 10 Jun 2009
at 16:07
Re: A Night in the Woods.
Gorak Crouches slightly with his next swing, and brings the hammer in a long underhanded arch, Grunting as he Connected solidly with the wolf he had been distracted by.

[Private to GM: Gorak Turast rolled 16,8 using d20+2,d8+2. Attack Wolf.

Sorry about the missed post.
]
Bryan Hawthorn
 player, 158 posts
 My Destiny Awaits!
Thu 11 Jun 2009
at 02:13
Re: A Night in the Woods.
He grimaced, realizing that he really needed a better understanding of the powers he wielded. Perhaps in time he'd come to an understanding of not just why he was given the powers, but what their true source was. Even if it was fate that gave him the powers, the power itself was most likely of a far more mundane origin.

His eyes glazed over and his hands flexed, claws forming.

He lashed out at the target that Gorak had already wounded, snarling in triumph as his claws ripped into the wolf's flesh twice. He roared as the blood flowed from his hands.

[Private to GM: 19:08, Today: Bryan Hawthorn rolled 17 using 1d20+1. Claw Attack.
19:08, Today: Bryan Hawthorn rolled 18 using 1d20+1. Claw Attack.
19:10, Today: Bryan Hawthorn rolled 3 using 1d6+1. Claw Damage.
19:10, Today: Bryan Hawthorn rolled 5 using 1d6+1. Claw Damage.
]
Siala Arivanna
 player, 144 posts
Thu 11 Jun 2009
at 07:59
Re: A Night in the Woods.
Siala sighs and notches an arrow. She takes her time to aim before shooting at one of the wolves.

[Private to GM: Siala Arivanna rolled 11,7 using d20+4,d8. Att, Dmg. ]
DM Doom
 GM, 375 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Sat 20 Jun 2009
at 12:55
Re: A Night in the Woods.
Sialas arrow strikes only the stone wall as Gorak swings his weapon at the wolf he had wounded a mere moment ago. It tried to move out of the way however it's limp hindered the beast and the hammer struck the wolfs skull with a sickening crack sending the beast to the floor in a broken heap of fur and blood. Bryan brought forth his claws hoping to use them on the other beast as it tried to lunge for Gorak and with a snarl of triumph they rend into the beasts flesh. Meanwhile Andra lets out a dwarven curse as she learns the nuances of using a greataxe in an enclosed space. The wolf turns to snap at Byran biting the mans hand and drawing a bit of blood from his flesh as well.

Round 3.
Siala
Gorak
Bryan 12/15
Andra (NPC)
Wolf

[Private to GM: Wolf 1: 6hp Wolf 2: dead]
Bryan Hawthorn
 player, 159 posts
 My Destiny Awaits!
Mon 22 Jun 2009
at 02:50
Re: A Night in the Woods.
Realizing the others can handle the remaining wolf he pulls back, though it's almost like that animalistic glee in his eyes is hard to pull back and not go for another kill. But seeing the blood on his hands that he knows is his manages to help.

OOC: going for full defense
Siala Arivanna
 player, 145 posts
Mon 22 Jun 2009
at 05:18
Re: A Night in the Woods.
This time Siala takes more time to aim and then shoots at the wolf who just bit Bryan.

[Private to GM: Siala Arivanna rolled 20,2 using d20+4,d8. Attack, possible damage. ]
Gorak Turast
 player, 25 posts
 The hammer sings
 The tune of the smith...
Mon 22 Jun 2009
at 23:51
Re: A Night in the Woods.
Gorak manages himself into a space that can protect bryan from any wolf attacks, and still stay out of the way of Siala's Bow. Measuring up another strike, he attacks again, however as he is worried about his companions safty, Gorak's strike is sloppy.

[Private to GM: Gorak Turast rolled 9,4 using d20+2,d8+2. Attack, Damage. ]
DM Doom
 GM, 379 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Thu 2 Jul 2009
at 04:43
Re: A Night in the Woods.
Siala's arrow flies true and hits it's mark though even as the beast yelps it manages to dodge Goraks swing. Bryan, figuring he's no longer needed, holds himself in a defensive position ready to deflect any further attack by the remaining beast. Sure enough it lunges at the man, however, as it's teeth near his face Andra's great axe seems to appear from nowhere and sends the wolf crashing down it's neck nearly hewn from from it's body.

OOC: Sorry about that folks. Bad stuff been going on.
Bryan Hawthorn
 player, 160 posts
 My Destiny Awaits!
Thu 2 Jul 2009
at 16:06
Re: A Night in the Woods.
"Mmmm .... well, we survived. But I have a feeling its only going to get worse from here on out. Let's be quick about checking the room before we move on."

Rather brusque, isnt he?
Gorak Turast
 player, 26 posts
 The hammer sings
 The tune of the smith...
Mon 6 Jul 2009
at 18:13
Re: A Night in the Woods.
Gorak raised an eyebrow and grunted lightly before shrugging and looking about the room. "I agree. Maybe, however, we should be aware of everyones abilities before continuing? I would feel better to know what my... companions... capabilities were if I am to be putting my life in danger for them." He said as he walked around the room, searching it.

   "As I am asking, I will go first, as an act of good faith. I am in service to The smith, by choice..." he said, eyeing the dwarf sidelong. "Through his glory and mine own devotion It is his will that I may use his devine energies. I am also quite adept at mending and repairing objects, and I am an armor smith by trade as well. I have some small knowledge in the devine. I prefer to fight with Hammer and sheild, though I do have a sling if needs permit."
Bryan Hawthorn
 player, 161 posts
 My Destiny Awaits!
Tue 7 Jul 2009
at 21:20
Re: A Night in the Woods.
He smiled, "Fate has granted me, for reasons I cannot fathom, the power to wield arcane energies by force of will."

He flexes his hands, claws forming, "If things get too personal of course ..." The look in his eyes is almost feral as he says that.

He lets the claws fade, "I have few skills outside of that. Knowledge of magic of course, but that's about it."
Andra Flameseeker
 player, 71 posts
Wed 8 Jul 2009
at 04:23
Re: A Night in the Woods.
Andra returns Goraks gaze a level of distrust still present but it seemed to have lessened some. "I fight as you saw. I am a smith of some ability as well." she said simply.
Siala Arivanna
 player, 146 posts
Fri 17 Jul 2009
at 08:16
Re: A Night in the Woods.
Siala speaks up "I am a tracker and ranger of the wood myself. Skilled in bow and blade."

OOC: This is your DM speaking trying to move things along.
Gorak Turast
 player, 27 posts
 The hammer sings
 The tune of the smith...
Fri 17 Jul 2009
at 16:13
Re: A Night in the Woods.
    Stopping at the door, the Half orc nodded. "Aye. It seems we have a broad range of skills here." He glances about the room again, and then nods toward the door. "Shall we go?"

[Private to GM: Did my search turn anything up at all?]
DM Doom
 GM, 387 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Fri 14 Aug 2009
at 07:47
Re: A Night in the Woods.
Gorak sifted around the room and soon came up with something of note. While none of the parchment on the desk was anything special he did find a secret compartment in the bottom of the drawer. Inside was a handaxe of excellent craftsmanship and a pouch that clinked as though filled with coins. There is also a small prayer book written in dwarven and apparently describes the worship of Droskar, the dark smith. Within the cover of the book is an inscription that reads "Torag is no longer worthy of our devotion. Only Droskar can deliver us from the failings of King Garbold." A brief appraisal notes that it would likely be worth something to a scholar of dwarven history.

Setting the items aside to worry about later you approach the door to the next chamber.

OOC: I'll divy up loot and such later. We're nearly done and those who've left will be supplemented by one of the other groups. Anything anyone wants to do before you enter this room?
Gorak Turast
 player, 28 posts
 The hammer sings
 The tune of the smith...
Sat 15 Aug 2009
at 03:57
Re: A Night in the Woods.
Gorak Leans forward at the door, to listen for anything behind it.

[Private to GM: OOC: Other than that, I am ready to go through. ]
DM Doom
 GM, 389 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Sat 22 Aug 2009
at 23:14
Re: A Night in the Woods.
Silence was all Gorak could hear upon listening through the door. With weapons readied everyone watched carefully as he opened the door and advanced to the room beyond.

Gaping holes in the roof allow faint light to enter this ruined chamber. One of the stone columns that once supported the ceiling is toppled, its broken pieces littering the floor. A thick patch of black mushrooms hides in a nearby corner, giving the room an earthy scent that is barely noticeable above the stench of wet fur.


Upon entering the room a large four legged form leaps atop the broken stone column and glares down on you, baring it's teeth with a malign intelligence in it's eyes. It takes a moment to register that it's a large wolf! Even more disturbing, after it lets out a growl it begins to speak. "You dare to have invaded my sanctum and slain members of my pack..." it began menacingly. "Tell me why you have come or I'll tear you limb from limb and give your bones to my pups."

OOC: The strange wolf has made an intimidation check. Bryan is shaken for three rounds, Andra and Siala are Shaken, Gorak is fine.
Gorak Turast
 player, 29 posts
 The hammer sings
 The tune of the smith...
Sun 23 Aug 2009
at 00:47
Re: A Night in the Woods.
Gorak raised an eyebrow and motioned with is mace. "My companions are in search of those to cure a problem with their village." he said in a calm, even tone. "I am in search of what happened in this place. We were attacked by your kin, when we went in one of the rooms to search it. You can not deny us self defense."
DM Doom
 GM, 395 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Thu 17 Sep 2009
at 20:22
Re: A Night in the Woods.
"But I can stoutwalker." he growled. "It is you who have intruded upon my home!" the large wolf paused and sniffed the air before turning his attention on Bryan, Andra and Siala and let out a low dangerous growl before speaking in a tone that would make hands tighten on weapons. "I smell the blood of my bitch on you. For that you shall suffer."

Initiative.
Graypelt
Party

The wolf lunges at Andra first it's teeth punching through her armor or perhaps finding a weak point. With a powerful yank of it's neck it pulls the dwarfs stout legs out from under her and she falls to the ground. (Andra takes 9 dmg bringing her to 10/22 and trips her)
[Private to GM:
Graypelt: +8 bite 1d6+3 CMB +8 CMD 21 HP: 43/43
]
Gorak Turast
 player, 30 posts
 The hammer sings
 The tune of the smith...
Fri 18 Sep 2009
at 01:11
Re: A Night in the Woods.
"You leave her be Mongrel!" Gorak roared at the massive wolf. He brought his in an underhanded arch, hoping to catch the creature in its side.

[Private to GM: 21:10, Today: Gorak Turast rolled 8 using 1d8+2. possible damage.
21:10, Today: Gorak Turast rolled 10 using 1d20+2. Attack on greypelt.
]