A simple small logging town...   Posted by DM Doom.Group: archive Z
DM Doom
 GM, 51 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Fri 11 Jul 2008
at 09:15
A simple small logging town...
The small village of Falcon’s Hollow is a wild place. Nestled in the shadow of Droskar’s Crag, the people of Falcon’s Hollow are hearty and stern. Theirs is a life of hardships, broken only occasionally by a handful of festivals and the infrequent merchant caravan.

They face constant adversity from both the wilderness and the wiles of man. Wolves nip at their heels and cutpurses ply at their pockets. It is a testament to their strength that they even manage to survive at all.


—Pathfinder Chronicles

It's a beautiful day in the town of Falcon's Hollow. Theldrin's caravan arrives at around noon, an intentional arrival time planned by its gnome master and one that has proven a successful tactic in the past as the wagons are set up to quickly turn into trading stalls. To appease the lumber barons the caravan divides itself into two halves, the higher quality goods go up to the High Market while the more common goods and necessities with a few hidden treasures stick to the Low Market.

Typically when the caravan stops at these smaller towns and villages there is an air of celebration. For some, the caravan and the random wandering merchant are the only contact to the outside world these little pockets of civilization really have. Falcon's Hollow is no exception but there's a strange muted quality to the peoples cheer, though it could be in part due to the fact that they live in a town where greedy lumber barons squeeze every coin they can out of the populace that works for them. Such is life here on the edge of civilization.


[Private to Mercy Karickson; Orrin Maelar:
You two have only recently begun your travels in the Darkmoon Vale region. Having met you decided to head back to Olfden temporarily and see if there wasn't a caravan or some sort of job that might provide some excitement. Upon arriving in the town Mercy showed Orrin around for a time before they finally settled in at an alehouse. The following day you both sought work, and found it with surprising ease, you two were hired by Mercy's father, Karick the Butcher. He handed you each a platinum piece and hired you to escort Mercy's younger brother to the small logging town of Darkmoon Vale. A caravan was due in soon and Karick wanted his excess dried and salted meats sold off.

Mercy's younger brother, Kevin, is a competent trader but still barely an adult and Falcons Hollow, let alone Darkmoon Vale, is a dangerous place. Suffice to say Karick felt better with his younger son traveling with his middle son and his new friend rather than sending him alone. Thus you arrive in that logging community at roughly the same time as the caravan.

You pull the cart into the town after paying the fee at the gates and Kevin looks about and sighs. "Gods I hate this place. Come on, let's set up in the Low Market, that's the only place they let us sell and the place where we'll get the most coin for all of this." he says motioning to the stock. "Come to think of it, I'll take care of the set up myself, with the caravan in town and all the guards no one will think of strong arming someone in the opening. Feel free to wander or whatever you two like to do."
]

[Private to Andra Flameseeker; Bryan Hawthorn; Siala Arivanna:
You were hired on by a man named Jared Conway, a masterful warrior of experience and a veteran of many adventurers, semi retired he has spent the past few years hopping from caravan to caravan and going on the occasional adventure. He had been working with Theldrin for some time but parted ways from his employer and the Caravan back in southern Andoran. You had effectively been hired to provide more protection than his standards guards could with a combination of martial prowess and magic. Thankfully the only encounter in which your skills were needed in your recent travels was a bandit attack wherein the attackers didn't know that the lot of you were resting within one of the wagons.

Theldrin himself is a gnome, prone to personality shifts from absent minded eccentric to suspicious and cynical codger, in both mindsets he is a shrewd trader and merchant. His yearly trip to Falcons Hollow marks the last stop in Darkmoon Vale before the turn around on his caravans trip back to distant Varisia as well as the location you three agreed to part ways while he gathered thrice as many 'guards' from the various toughs of Falcons Hollow eager to leave their present misery in the hopes of finding better opportunity elsewhere.

As the gnome divides the caravan he pulls you all aside and and hands you all a platinum piece. "Here is the last of your pay." he said with a strange grin. "Do not spend it all in one place now." he adds with a laugh before his demeanor changes to a more severe tone. "The citizens here seem more miserable than normal, this is never a good thing so I would recommend you tread lightly and travel together, misery breeds desperation and desperation breeds violence." he says as he narrows his eyes and looks about suspiciously.
]

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:15, Fri 11 July 2008.

Orrin Maelar
 player, 8 posts
Fri 11 Jul 2008
at 12:20
Re: A simple small logging town...
Orrin walks along with Mercy and regails him with a story of his trainers adventuring company as they walk through Falcons Hollow away from his younger brother and charge.
"So he goes on and on about his friend the warrior Samel Jakesin and how during a jaunt through the Ethereal Plane they kept running into Yu-anti and the warrior Samel wouldn't quit saying "Ive had it with these @#&** snakes on this @#*** plane." Gods, I heard the story at least thirty times while training, he never would shut up about it.!"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:08, Fri 11 July 2008.

Siala Arivanna
 player, 9 posts
Fri 11 Jul 2008
at 16:51
Re: A simple small logging town...
During the journey Siala had not too much to do. Since Theldrin knew the way and only very occasionally needed her as a scout, Siala stayed near the wagons most of the time. Her horse Kethia was tied to one of the wagons and was seldom used for riding. It took her some time to get used to traveling with a large group. She talked a bit with Andra about her travel and her work and helped the drivers with the animals when necessary. If Bryan seemed not too gruff she also asked him a few questions about his travels.


Siala takes the coin with a nod. "Thank you." The warning the gnome gives bothers her. Why are they always miserable? And now even more than normal? She pats the neck of her horse a little absentmindedly. Turning to Andra and Bryan she says: "I have to find a place where I can leave Kethia first, before doing anything else."
Bryan Hawthorn
 player, 14 posts
 My Destiny Awaits!
Fri 11 Jul 2008
at 17:49
Re: A simple small logging town...
Bryan nodded, More miserable than normal? A familiar sensation. But ... I found a way out of that trap. What lays claim to these people?

Bryan wasnt adverse to talking about his travels during quieter times. He's no bard, of that, you have no doubt. He hailed from far away Absalom, having travelled in search of a specific goal. When questioned about his goal he smiled and responded, "What is the measure of a man? My goal is just as distant and unknown."

While no bard, he was caught singing various songs, many of them in Elven, which he spoke quite well, for a human anyway. His singing voice was rather pleasant, and he was mostly onkey, but his presentation could have been better. They seemed to have a theme to them, speaking of fate and destiny. A strange topic to be sure.
Andra Flameseeker
 player, 7 posts
Fri 11 Jul 2008
at 17:52
Re: A simple small logging town...
Andra has been quite content that the journey has been without any great incidents. The one attack had been a diversion to the steady walk and drive along the road, but it is not as though travel through lands so far unknown to her are uninteresting or dull. There is always something new to see and if it is just a curious formation in the near mountains. She is more than happy to exchange stories about her travels and the places she has seen with Siala and Bryan.

After fetching her mule, Jack, Andra gets her own payment, putting the coin safely away into her money pouch. "Aye, Jack needs a place to stay as well. So do I for that matter. Should be possible to accommodate both wishes by finding an inn." She looks around, trying to make out one along the streets.
DM Doom
 GM, 60 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Sat 12 Jul 2008
at 03:28
Re: A simple small logging town...
A young man with a pack horse hauling a cart laden with an impressive stock of dried and salted meats halts as he overhears the three of you discussing where to place your mounts. "Hail to you," he says reining the horse to a stop as he looks for a place here in the low market to set up a stall. "I you're looking to stable your mounts Jack'a'Napes is just yonder." he says pointing to a large building that looks like an inn, next to which is a separate building that is most definitely a stable. "Prices are a bit dodgy but then again everything in this town is." the young man says with a nervous laugh. He then pauses and slaps a hand to his forehead. "Blast it. Um, could any of you watch over my cart for a moment? I let my brother run off without signing in for a permit at the Magistrates office." he stammers looking at you hopefully as his feet look like he's about to sprint off.
Siala Arivanna
 player, 11 posts
Sat 12 Jul 2008
at 06:29
Re: A simple small logging town...
[Private to Andra Flameseeker; Bryan Hawthorn: Siala enjoys music and though no trained singer she knows how to carry a tune. Mostly elven songs, but also some human ones, some of them very romantic. She also likes to listen to songs, especially ones she doesn't know and she doesn't mind the 'strange' topics Bryan prefers.
There are some differences on how she pronounces some words in elven compared to Bryan, but the unexperienced listener may not notice them.

I suppose real discussions about some topics can wait, so that we can roleplay them :)
]

"They should have an inn here." Like Andra Siala looks around and then spots the approaching man with his cart. He doesn't look like one of the villagers.

She nods to the man in greeting. Not that they wouldn't have found the inn for themselves, but it's nice of him to care. "Thank you." About to walk over to the inn Siala stops as the man asks the others and her to have a look at his cart. Not that one of us would steal, but asking strangers doesn't look like a wise decision to me. With a nod Siala steps forward. "If it doesn't take too long, I could watch over it until you're back... what is your name? I'm Siala Arivanna." For a short moment Siala thinks about if she should introduce the others as well and then decides for it. "The woman over there is Andra Flameseeker and that's Bryan... Hawthorn."
DM Doom
 GM, 64 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Sat 12 Jul 2008
at 07:21
Re: A simple small logging town...
"Kevin." the young man says and seeming to read Siala's look or perhaps understanding how odd it looked a complete stranger asking such a favor of other strangers. "Thank you so very much, fact is, if I set up without checking in with the magistrate then my entire cart would be forfeit." he says with a sigh. "That and you came in with the gnome so hopefully you're not all that bad." he adds before saying "Pleasure to meet you, I'll be right back!" and with that Kevin runs off.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:22, Sat 12 July 2008.

Orrin Maelar
 player, 11 posts
 How hard could it be?
 It's just adventuring.
Sat 12 Jul 2008
at 14:31
Re: A simple small logging town...
Orrin finishes his story and trails on with his friend walking beside him.
"To tell you the truth, I miss that old man, he wasn't a half bad sort, but he'd made it clear I couldn't train any more and that I had to learn the rest as I went...Or more rather, as he sent me."
He looks around at the passersby and stares at someone for a moment before shaking his head and thinking that it couldn't be that man.
Bryan Hawthorn
 player, 16 posts
 My Destiny Awaits!
Sat 12 Jul 2008
at 16:13
Re: A simple small logging town...
Strange, very strange. But he would give the man the benefit of the doubt. He had hoped never to have to deal with Orrin again, and given the chance he'd leave him behind. That scoundrel had probably sung him a song and dance way back when, but he was not in the mood to press the issue.

This Kevin fellow, what was he up to? He mumbled something in Draconic, obviously nervous, as the man dashed off. The fact the man was so honest about pricing of a place said that perhaps he was not completely on the up and up himself. He had no intentions of being caught with the bag as it were. So he did his best to memorize the man's face before he left. After all, if there was something illicit going on, giving the guards a good description would be handy.

[Private to GM: Does he seem to be honest about the magistrate issue or does it feel like there is something he's not letting on? Leaving a cart with a bunch of strangers, even if they come from a semi-reliable source does seem rather odd ... IE Sense Motive to see if he's trying to hide anything. Not likely to succeed, but ...]

This message was last edited by the player at 16:13, Sat 12 July 2008.

Siala Arivanna
 player, 12 posts
Sat 12 Jul 2008
at 16:56
Re: A simple small logging town...
Siala watches Kevin run off, then steps over to the horse and takes the reins. Her own horse stands at her side with the reins still over her neck and sniffs at a lone blade of grass on the ground.
"Is the magistrate here that strict?" Siala asks in a quiet voice. The man surely acted a little strange. Keeping the reins loosely in her hand  the half-elf looks around. "I hope he'll be back soon." If he won't, there's something wrong. Either with his brother at the magistrate, or the whole thing.
DM Doom
 GM, 65 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Sat 12 Jul 2008
at 22:17
Re: A simple small logging town...
PM

[Private to Bryan Hawthorn: He seems honest to you. Maybe a little more trusting than is wise but you gather that the story was legit. He had two choices and taking a chance on the honesty of strangers was the better option.]
Orrin Maelar
 player, 12 posts
 How hard could it be?
 It's just adventuring.
Sat 12 Jul 2008
at 23:04
Re: A simple small logging town...
Orrin quickly surpress's a desire to smack someone when he thinks he recognizes Bryan Hawthorn, he still had those coins, and couldn't do a thing with them.
Then again, he did still have a copy of that map, the one he'd used to find the fake...And that was something for himself, if only he'd get his hands on the real deal.

The Rogue turns to Mercy and claps him on the shoulder.
"Go, make sure your brother is alright, I'm heading to Jack a Nappes to see if any games of Castles are going on that I can join in on, what with the generous payment your father gave. I'll meet you over there for a drink after you find out how he is coming."

With a smile he turns and heads towards the inn with an itch to gamble, he turns back walking backwards and jestingly shouts to his friend.
"Put a good word in with your God, I'm tired of losing."

--------> Jack'a'Nappes
[Private to DM Doom: I don't have access to my players guide with the rules for playing Castle in it atm but do you wanna roll off or roleplay the game?]
Bryan Hawthorn
 player, 17 posts
 My Destiny Awaits!
Sat 12 Jul 2008
at 23:18
Re: A simple small logging town...
He waited patiently, and then hearing Orrins comment called out, "I knew I recognized that voice. Orrin! You rascal."

He scowls a bit, but is staying by the cart, "Mercy, If you offer up any prayers for him, its for him to stop gambling!"

This message was last edited by the player at 23:47, Sat 12 July 2008.

Orrin Maelar
 player, 13 posts
 How hard could it be?
 It's just adventuring.
Sat 12 Jul 2008
at 23:54
Re: A simple small logging town...
Orrin quickly turned and saw Hawthorn standing by the cart.
He quickly waived his arm mockingly friendly.
"Bryan, how is my favorite cheapskate no good lout who can't pay a good wage to save his skin? Uh, don't mind me and my gambling, I'll be sure not to wager any of that useless coin you stiffed me with."
He says as he chuckles walking backwards into the inn.
Siala Arivanna
 player, 13 posts
Sun 13 Jul 2008
at 08:22
Re: A simple small logging town...
With a slight frown Siala listens to Bryan and the other man, Orrin. Somehow it sounds like trouble to her and she doubts that making trouble, or getting into it, would be wise at all, taking the gnomes advice into account. She ruffles the horses mane to keep it from prancing nervously at all the shouting.
Andra Flameseeker
 player, 8 posts
Sun 13 Jul 2008
at 11:50
Re: A simple small logging town...
Andra eyes the wagon and the young man obviously in charge of it with surprise, though she only offers a nod when Siala introduces her to him. Humans always seem so hectic. Especially the young ones. Seeing as she is in no great hurry to get over to the inn, she stays with Siala and Bryan close to the cart. At least this might offer a good chance of asking someone from here why the mood is so oppressed and nervous. Shrugging at Sialas question, she says: "Seems to be. And I'm sure he will hurry back - the question is if that Magistrate will oblige him with being quick about it himself."

With modest interest she watches the exchange between Bryan and Orrin. For such a small place, it seems to be full of people far of places who still know each other."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:50, Sun 13 July 2008.

DM Doom
 GM, 67 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Sun 13 Jul 2008
at 13:42
Re: A simple small logging town...
The lad hurries off to one of the buildings further away at a light jog. A wandering lumberjack walks by coughing into his sleeve as he looks around the Low Market. Other workers and townsfolk mill about obviously eager for the market to open with the goods from the caravan. All of which are things people don't typically find in town. Some of which are pre-ordered stock for some of the shops in the area. A few of the people seem to skirt away from tougher looking men. It seems the populace consists of mostly humans with a smattering of other races as well.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:43, Sun 13 July 2008.

Mercy Karickson
 player, 10 posts
 Have some faith...
 What could go wrong?
Sun 13 Jul 2008
at 23:04
Re: A simple small logging town...
Mercy strides confidently through the town as if its dreariness and oppression cannot touch him. His lustrous hair manages to shine even in this dull setting, and his fair skin defies the grime of the place to blemish.

He sighs and smiles at Orrin, not the instructor stories again... he thinks amiably. Still he listens with a friendly ear, and meanders about town. When he encounters the others, his expression becomes pleasantly surprised. He is a ways off from the others, but can still make out the voice of Bryan.

He smiles easily and throws a hand in greeting in the man's general direction, the Vale is a smaller place than it looks on a map sometimes, he thinks. That said, Mercy waves Orrin away to do, well, whatever he does, and his eyes take in the cart and horse.

No Kevin.

He swivels quickly in search of his brother, wondering what would cause him to leave the precious cargo in a place like this. A thin strand of fear pierces his well-developed calm as he tries to locate his younger brother.
DM Doom
 GM, 69 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Mon 14 Jul 2008
at 00:52
Re: A simple small logging town...
A little bit of time passes.

Orrin soon finds that Jak'a'Napes isn't exactly an inn and tavern. Jak Crimmy, the rotund and red faced owner smiles as Jaime enters and is glad to provide a stable for the mounts and a room for the those seeking but it doesn't appear Jaime will find a game of castles here. "I serve Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner here and while I do have wine and ale this isn't exactly a drinking or gambling hall." he man says with a shrug. "You're from out of town right? Came in with the caravan or something like that? You'll be wantin' The Sitting Duck. That's over near the North Exit and the towns Palisade. I warn you though lad, they prefer gambling of a more dangerous sort than castles." he then pauses adds "Though if you come back in the evening there might be enough full tables and relaxed townsfolk to play with."

OOC: Prices:
3gp for Good rooms.
8sp for common rooms.
3sp for shared common room.
8sp for stabling mount.


[Private to Bryan Hawthorn; Mercy Karickson: As various townsfolk mingle about and wait forthe stalls to open you notice that many of them look pale and cough into handkerchiefs or sleeves or whatever else they can. Much of the coughing is a gruesome sounding hacking that causes the occasional townsfolk to double over before righting themselves as they try to struggle on through their day.]It takes a little time but eventually Kevin returns and there's a look of relief as he notices his trust wasn't misplaced. "Thank you so very much." he says running back with a sheet of parchment in hand. He moves to the cart and begins going about the process of setting up his stall and pinning the parchment to it with nails. Before he gets too far along he pulls out three bags and hands one to Bryan, Andra and Siala, "Here, the salted and dried meats are allright but my da's jerky is some of the best in the Vale." he says with a proud grin before he gets back to work.
Mercy Karickson
 player, 12 posts
 Have some faith...
 What could go wrong?
Mon 14 Jul 2008
at 03:50
Re: A simple small logging town...
Watching his brother with a mixture of pride and consternation, Mercy wanders back towards the cart. Magistrate's permit... yeah, forgot about that.... Pleased that his little brother took care of things, he cannot help but wish his brother was a little LESS efficient and appropriate.

Arriving at the stall, he throws a vague but pleasant hello to Andra and Siala. They both look familiar though he does not immediately place either. Rather than wonder if he is supposed to remember their names, he simply offers his own, "Mercy" he reminds with his nod.

Coming back to Bryan, he acknowledges the man more directly. Welcome. I hadn't expected to see you again quite so soon. Just couldn't live without seeing Orrin again, I gather, he jokes easily. His eyes, meanwhile, slowly follow much of the crowd and his face grows troubled.

After a time, he grimaces and speaks quietly to Bryan and the two warrior women, Seems worse off than I remember it. "Never been much light in this town, Cayden bless it. Always a place dreams go to die. Still... things seem darker even than before. Folks sound ill if you ask me. Hope there's no plague...." His speech is plain enough, and though his features suggest one who is aloof from such tragedy, the squint of his eyes suggests that what he sees troubles him.
Siala Arivanna
 player, 14 posts
Mon 14 Jul 2008
at 05:51
Re: A simple small logging town...
Siala waits patiently near the cart and watches the crowd, unsure what to make of the behavior of most of them. Meanwhile Kethia chews at the little bit of grass at her hooves.

"Good luck with your sale", Siala says as she hands over the reins of the horse and takes the bag. "Thank you."
A little, but pleasantly, surprised to see another half-elf here Siala smiles and returns the greeting. "Siala." He's the brother of Kevin?

A plague? Sarenrae forbid! Siala shakes her head slowly. "I doubt it. As far as I know they close the gates and don't let people out or in, should such a thing occur. At least that's what I heard they'd do." But there has to be a reason for the sadness. "You are not the first person to tell that... the people are always sad. Why is that?"
Kevin
Mon 14 Jul 2008
at 07:39
Re: A simple small logging town...
As Kevin sets up his shop he looks around as though to make sure no one is listening. Or at least to make sure the right people aren't listening. "This place is owned by the lumber consortium and the gavel who runs the town is a right mean old bully with enough muscle here to back it up. This place is a refuge for the rejects of polite society and they're milked for every copper for that small luxury. There are cultists that are allowed to practice whatever provided they don't mess with the Consortium and more, the people who run the place don't really care about the townsfolk beyond what they can get from them." he sighs. "Such is life in Falcon's Hollow. It's a trap town it is, can't even own your own house."

OOC: My apologies, I should have made it more clear Kevin was half elven, um... his hair covered his ears. That's it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:39, Mon 14 July 2008.

Siala Arivanna
 player, 15 posts
Mon 14 Jul 2008
at 17:01
Re: A simple small logging town...
The things Kevin tells about the town indeed don't sound too pleasant. Especially the part with the cultists and that there seems to be no one feeling responsible for the needs of the townsfolk. Maybe they had trouble recently, or still have, and no one to help them. "Thank you for the explanation." Siala smiles at Kevin. "But I think I should bring Kethia into the stable now, before she starts eating something more valuable than the grass here." The half-elf takes the reins of her horse again. Turning to Andra and Bryan she says: "I think I may have enough money to buy a round." To Kevin and Mercy she adds: "You are invited, too, if you want to."
Bryan Hawthorn
 player, 18 posts
 My Destiny Awaits!
Mon 14 Jul 2008
at 18:27
Re: A simple small logging town...
He frowned, not liking this. Bullies were bad enough, but when they had control over a group of bullies, things got worse. He had to wonder, did the consortium know about how the Gavel ran things, or did they just not care so long as the coin kept flowing.

The other concern of course was the source of the cough. Now this would be expected from a mining town, but lumber ... no. However, there was little he could do at the moment.

He smiled at Siala's welcome, burying concerns about the town for the moment, "I would be most honored to join such a polite lady as yourself. My tastes are simple, so you neednt worry about that."