Falcon's Hollow.   Posted by DM Doom.Group: archive 1
DM Doom
 GM, 410 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Wed 25 Nov 2009
at 05:05
Falcon's Hollow
The Pathfinder Chronicles:
Only the desperate and the brave is the proud motto of Falcon's Hollow. Few choose life on the outskirts of Darkmoon, whose dim, mist-laden forests are prowled by feral beasts, reeking trolls and the restless souls of the dead. Fewer still possess the steely will to venture into the haunted ruins of the once-great dwarven kingdom. For those brave enough to claim them, treasures surpassing the dreams of princes and poets rest beneath the rocky slopes of Droskar's Crag, but so too does an ancient evil. Sibilant whispers ride the vale winds after nightfall, jumbled promises of doom, blasphemy and rot hissed from the darkness beneath the mountain. From deep below the earth come soul-shredding abominations and as the unspeakable horrors rise, the lesser denizens of these dwarven ruins are forced to the surface.


The ramshackle town of Falcon's Hollow rests perilously close to the infamous Darkmoon Vale. The jagged shadows of nearby mountains casts a shroud of gloom on the desperate souls who call this place home. Many are drawn here to make their fortune cutting a swath of darkwood lumber through the lush forests of the vale. Others journey to these remote fringes to start over, piecing together their shattered lives on the edge of an untouched wilderness far from the things of man. Persecuted zealots and outcasts flock to Falcon's Hollow. Here, these fanatics practice their strange and often deviant rites unfettered by the mores of civilization. Still others are lured to Falcon's Hollow by the promise of great adventure. Peril and splendor await within the accursed halls of dwarven kings of old, whose glorious civilization long ago shattered and crumbled to dust.

You have all traveled to the remote town of Falcon's Hollow, having met on the road during the final leg of your respective journey's it was decided that traveling together was safer in this untamed wilderness than not. Your reasons for coming to this tiny little speck of dust on the map are your own but finally after a lengthy journey you have arrived. It doesn't take long to learn about the local watering hole known as "The Sitting Duck" or of  "Jak'a'Napes" the local inn and stables. Sarenraes radiance has only been falling towards the horizon for a few hours now so you are free to do as you will.
Kilain Gravendak
 player, 8 posts
 2nd Cleric
 The Hammer of Torag
Wed 25 Nov 2009
at 13:01
Re: Falcon's Hollow
Kilain rested his Warhammer on his shoulder as he stopped to look at this frontier community that had drawn him out of the protective halls of his home in the Dwarven Kingdom of the Five Kings. Clan Quarrymaster had at one time resided in the nearby Dwarven ruins. In ancient times they had been driven out. Mention of an ancient evil was all anyone made mention of. If the elders knew what that was, his queries had always been rebuffed and with a twinkle in their eye they would say "Perhaps you need to go investigate it at some time young Kilain.". Huuuurm, muttered Kilain curiously as he stroked his beard with his free hand. His Shielded arm holding the haft of the Warhammer as it rested on his shoulder. Falcons Hollow was the gateway community to the region, the last community of note on the journey. He knew not the exact reason his Church had ordered him here on the day of his ordainment into the Church of Torag. That sat in a letter sealed and kept inside his shirt, close to his chest. His instructions had been 'open the first night in Falcons Hollow'.

He had oft wanted to come here and perhaps that was why, merely to sate his own curiousity...or maybe the church wanted him to find something..or retrieve something...he would know tonight. He had thought many times of opening the letter prior to coming, but had thought better, thinking it could be a test. Tonight hed know...He glanced at his comrades that he had met on the road. They knew he was on a mission for the Church, but he had not told them anything else, and as they all had reasons as well...none had pried. Their arrangement was to come to an end in Falcons Hollow, but perhaps not....maybe their paths would continue. Legends abounded of tales such as this... "well friends, shall we be headin into the Hollow?"
Nenor
 player, 3 posts
Wed 25 Nov 2009
at 15:16
Re: Falcon's Hollow
As the town which was the destination for both himself and those he travelled with came into sight, Nenor also came to a stop, gazing down at it with curious, observant eyes.  He knew not which of his parents he could thank for his elven heritage, but the young monk had always been blessed with keen sight, and was always alert of his surroundings.  Leaning slightly on the staff he walked with, he wondered for a moment where next his path would take him once his errand in this place was over, and he found he couldn't help but feel a bit curious about the rumors he had heard about the neighbouring forest, or of the dwarven ruins found in this area, which he had read something of while spending time in the library at the monestary he grew up at.

Glancing over at the dwarf, Nenor smiled, and nodded.  "Yes, let us proceed," he replied, wishing to see the town up close, see what sort of people lived there, as well as wanting to deliver the scroll he carried in his backpack.
Amilynn Th'Nilia
 player, 2 posts
Thu 26 Nov 2009
at 18:37
Re: Falcon's Hollow
Sighing softly as Falcon's Hollow came into view, Amilynn looked around curiously, taking in everything she possibly could in the brief time she had to observe before two of the people she'd fallen in what spoke.  She nodded an agreement but did not verbally reply.  Even though she'd spent many years living with a human couple, her accent was still strong, and it shamed her that she spoke so differently than most people.
Naemar Shouren
 player, 77 posts
 What strange wonders
 I find in my travels.
Tue 1 Dec 2009
at 21:59
Re: Falcon's Hollow
Naemar shook his head as the town came into view as they walked over the rise.  It had been a long journey, one that he had been on for over a year now.  He grimaced as Naemar recalled the loss of his horse and the expensive riding gear he had to abandon when he had been ambushed.

While he had made the bandits pay, he had almost paid with his life in the process before he had escaped, their numbers too many for a lone warrior to defeat.  It was one of the reasons he had joined up with his fellow travelers.  There was always some safety in numbers but now that journey was drawing to a close.

Naemar only hoped that here in Falcon's Hollow, he would be able to complete what he had started.  He had been away from home for far too long.  A home that may not even want him back but the road he was on would remain of length even if he found here what he had come seeking.

Naemar's only response to the query to proceed, remained a simple nod of his head.
Naemar Shouren
 player, 81 posts
 What strange wonders
 I find in my travels.
Thu 3 Dec 2009
at 16:24
Re: Falcon's Hollow
Shrugging, Naemar proceeds down the path toward Falcon's Hollow. He had heard many things about this place.  It was time to see what was truth, fable and whatever lay between.

Besides, a bed would be a brilliant luxury this evening.  "One last dinner together before we part to go our own ways?"
Amilynn Th'Nilia
 player, 3 posts
Thu 3 Dec 2009
at 17:49
Re: Falcon's Hollow
Amilynn smiled softly and nodded an agreement, following after Naemar to their destination.  She preferred fresh berries and water from streams, but once in awhile a meal at an inn or tavern was a very nice treat, and now seemed like one of those times.
DM Doom
 GM, 413 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Thu 3 Dec 2009
at 19:15
Re: Falcon's Hollow
It's a particularly warm day, though thankfully not overly hot, and as you descend into the the small town the beauty of the day seems to fade away. The streets of the town are trampled dirt and many of the wood buildings are caked with dried mud about the base. Dour looking lumberjacks dot the crowds talking quietly amongst themselves or laughing uproarously at some cruel joke or another. An odd pair of bedraggled looking men stand at the corner of a building arguing over prophecies of doom while people seem to trudge from place to place while going about their business. The only spark of joy to be seen in this community seems to be in the children that run barefoot throughout the streets.

You make your way down the road and cannot help but note that it seems busier, today, than it likely should be. Passing a run down church of Iomedae you come upon the central square of town, a place where the dirt is more tightly packed and a well dots the center of the square. All about the place are market stalls filled with odds and ends that the people are buying and selling. Unlike most market places this one isn't bustling. Sure there's the low murmur of conversations but little laughter can be heard as townsfolk purchase the goods available. On the edge of this central square stands Jak'a'Napes, a large building that can be nothing other than an inn.
Kilain Gravendak
 player, 9 posts
 2nd Cleric
 The Hammer of Torag
Fri 4 Dec 2009
at 03:43
Re: Falcon's Hollow
Used to dour folks, Kilain doesnt think twice about the lack of laughter during the day. Dwarves were like that...work hard and player harder. He stopped near the well and looked around. He rested his hammer on the ground for a second and wiped the sweat from his brow, watching a child run down the street claiming he was a hero and was vanquishing the evil wizard, brandishing a stick. Another child waved his arms around and muttered gobbledy gook and said he froze him in place...the playing kids ended up in the i did too's and no you didnts that frequently was seen in such situations. Children were no diferent no matter what the culture, Kilain mused.

He shouldered the hammer again and made his way towards the door of this Jak'a'napes.
Naemar Shouren
 player, 82 posts
 What strange wonders
 I find in my travels.
Sat 5 Dec 2009
at 06:09
Re: Falcon's Hollow
Naemar notes the pallor that seems to hang over the town, oppressing its folk except for the innocent.  Watching the children play brings a brief smile to his face as he wonders if the mood that is covering this place is simply that of a hard life or something more.  Taking a look at some of the folk, Naemar is almost certain it is something more.

Whatever the types of villiany, he was here for answers and while those were not the answers he was looking for he had a feeling they would be gotten anyway.  As Kilain took the lead heading straight for the Inn, Naemar fell back.
Amilynn Th'Nilia
 player, 4 posts
Sun 6 Dec 2009
at 17:46
Re: Falcon's Hollow
Noticing the children playing the most, Amilynn felt a pang within her chest.  A longing for what she'd never had filled her, but she steadfastly ignored it to concentrate on what she might be able to do to keep these children youthful and carefree rather than letting anything happen which would force them to grow up too soon.
DM Doom
 GM, 414 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Sun 6 Dec 2009
at 23:09
Re: Falcon's Hollow
Upon entering the ramshackle looking inn you find a rather odd sight. A trio of small children are staring in awe at a man in a cooking apron as he juggles three frying pans. You arrive just in time to see the end of his display of skill and upon seeing your arrival he catches the frying pans with practiced ease. "That's all for today children." the rotund and red faced human said before making a gesture in your direction as though to say 'one minute'. He disappeared into the kitchen followed by a chorus of disappointed groans and eventually emerges with a plate of what appear to be flapjacks. He hands one to each child before sending them on their way the faint smell of cinnamon wafting from the treats and grins on their faces. Finally he turns his attention towards the new arrivals and smiles as he attempts to straighten the wisp of red hair that covers his otherwise bald head. "Jak Crimmy at yer service folks. What can I help with you today?"
Kilain Gravendak
 player, 10 posts
 2nd Cleric
 The Hammer of Torag
Sun 6 Dec 2009
at 23:24
Re: Falcon's Hollow
With a smile at the children as they left, Kilain turns to the owner of the Inn and said "A table and some drinks and food for me and my comrades. We've travelled far and would partake of your hospitality. After we may need rooms, but for now drinks and food." He keeps the hammer resting atop his shoulder, as thats really the best place for it at the moment. Sheild at his side, but still on his arm, Kilain looks all the part of a weary Dwarven traveller.
Nenor
 player, 5 posts
Mon 7 Dec 2009
at 18:57
Re: Falcon's Hollow
Entering town, Nenor decided to let the letter he was carrying wait until after they had visited the local inn and had a good meal.  When Kilain orderer the food and the drinks, the half-elf chimed in, requesting a glass of water for himself to drink.  He had been taught by the elder brothers at the monestary he grew up at that alcohol was a sure way to lose control of himself - and control of body and mind was one of the key principles of their order.  Nenor had never tried any since leaving the monestary, and he doubted that would ever change.  Sitting down at an empty table, Nenor slid off the backpack he wore, setting it besides his chair.  "So, friends, where shall your paths take you next?" he asked the others, smiling.
DM Doom
 GM, 415 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Mon 7 Dec 2009
at 22:19
Re: Falcon's Hollow
The man smiled and nodded "Very well sir dwarf. As you can see we're not too busy so have a seat wherever you like." he said motioning to the common room. It was a homey place despite needing repairs here and there. A fireplace lit up one side and a few lanterns were lit wherever light was needed elsewhere. The tables were sturdy enough and most seemed designed to seat four though there were a couple larger ones set up for six or more. There was no real bar to sit at, but then this was an inn rather than a tavern or a combination of the two.

"The house special is cinnamon crusted flapjacks as you might have noticed. Quite popular amongst the locals. I have some vegetable and rice dishes. Soups and the like." he said and then leaned over the counter conspiratorially even though no one else was about and if there were anyone they would have heard him clear as crystal. "And a friend of mine managed to sell some freshly caught conies in the low market today rather than the crap half spoiled meat they usually sell so I can also make you some rabbit stew if you think you'll be here for awhile." He filled the drink orders as he spoke though it was clear he didn't have a large drink menu he did have a good stout that was reminiscent of dwarven brewing techniques and the water seemed clean enough that it apparently didn't require ale to be mixed in with it for sterilization.
Amilynn Th'Nilia
 player, 5 posts
Wed 9 Dec 2009
at 02:37
Re: Falcon's Hollow
Not opposed to eating meat on occasion, Amilynn nevertheless rarely ordered it when in inns or taverns.  She was pleased to hear about the vegetable and rice dishes, feeling that they were healthy and beyond that, it was good for the land and for the people who worked the land.  She loved gardening herself but hadn't done any in several years now.  But those flapjacks sounded like a big treat.  One she needed.  The young elf ordered them and some water and sat down at the table with the only of her companions to have taken a seat so far.
Kilain Gravendak
 player, 11 posts
 2nd Cleric
 The Hammer of Torag
Mon 14 Dec 2009
at 11:49
Re: Falcon's Hollow
Kilain went over to the nearest table. He leaned his hammer agains the table. Pulled the shield from his forearm and leaned it against the table as well.

Pulled his pack off his back and dropped it to the floor in front of the shield and hammer. Then with a sigh he sat heavily, weary from the road. Then before his Ale had arrived, he pulled some small stones and gravel from his pouch and poured them on the table slowly as he muttered a prayer blessing the inn, this table and his repast.

Once that was complete he picked up his beer and took a long pull on it. Draining half the glass he called for another quickly. Setting the glass down half empty, froth clinging to his beard and moustache. He said "Awwwww" appreciatively
DM Doom
 GM, 416 posts
 Let's sing the doom song!
Tue 22 Dec 2009
at 10:04
Re: Falcon's Hollow
Jak swiftly takes orders from the various guests and begins to go about filling them. His hands work rapidly despite his rotund frame showing more agility than one would expect. As he cooks he talks about this and that to anyone who might listen though after a time he seems to recall something that makes him pause in his speaking (though not in his cooking). "I should warn the lot of you. Seein' as you're newcomers in town and all. The man who runs this town is called Thuldrin Kreed. He's a right mean bastard and meaner still since his son went missing the other day. I'd steer clear of him if I were you." he says softly, his voice still strong enough to carry about the room.
Kilain Gravendak
 player, 12 posts
 2nd Cleric
 The Hammer of Torag
Tue 22 Dec 2009
at 12:56
Re: Falcon's Hollow
less concerned about someone who has a reputation as a 'right mean bastard' than he is about a kinds disappearance Kilain's attention perks up as he looks at Jak attentively. Disappeared? Can you tell us more?
Amilynn Th'Nilia
 player, 6 posts
Tue 22 Dec 2009
at 13:27
Re: Falcon's Hollow
Amilynn didn't like mean people, and she was generally a little frightened of them as well, but like Kilain, what worried her most was the news of the disappearance.  Her soft, pretty eyes went wide as she too focused on Jak and waited for his response to Kilain's query.