IC7-37.   Posted by DM-Heath.Group: 0
DM-Heath
 GM, 116 posts
 God.
 God's apprentice.
Wed 3 Sep 2003
at 05:02
IC7-37
Floradine pours the liquid on his wounds and feels its healing power.  (+18 hp)

Kallad also heals himself with the liquid.  (+12 hp)

Joseph takes the liquid and pours it over his own aches (+10 hp) before taking his position behind the coffin next to Shanjalae.

Finally, Garanon pours the liquid over his many wounds.  (+21 hp)

Rathyl begins making the strange transformation into a brown bear as the party looks on in surprise.

A figure steps slowly into view, its hooded face blocked by the cowl except for two glowing red eyes that radiate evil.  The two sharply trained red eyes had not been visible in the full light of the tower but seem ominously apparent in the darkness of the long forgotten temple.  You recognize the figure called Bezbalath, a key figure in the Brotherhood's struggle against the kingdom.  Just visible in the dark folds of the cloak are two items all too familiar, the Symbols of Shi'iki and Ikishi--Death and Life.  The figure's eyes dart from side to side as it comes close to the archway.  You remember seeing it before, and the thought that you had caught a glimpse of its hand and it was not human.



Floradine steps in front of the archway and says, "Halt!  Who goes there?"

The figure's deep and inhuman voice responds in a slow, almost mechanical way, "Where is Pianonne?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:04, Wed 03 Sept 2003.

Shae Shadowglen
 player, 73 posts
 Elven Druid
Wed 3 Sep 2003
at 06:06
Re: IC7-37
"Not with anyone you see here" Shae responds knowing that Shanjalae is hidden behind the coffin. She moves to take position beside Floradine, "You will have to inform the Black Eucharist that you have failed in your search."

Shae's hands rest on the hilt of the Dragon Maw dagger, her body tense and ready for battle.
Rathyl
 player, 7 posts
Wed 3 Sep 2003
at 06:24
Re: IC7-37

This message was deleted by the player at 06:45, Wed 03 Sept 2003.

DM-Heath
 GM, 117 posts
 God.
 God's apprentice.
Wed 3 Sep 2003
at 06:38
Re: IC7-37


The figure cocks its head to one side.  "The Black Eucharist grovels before me.  They are weak.  You would be wise to respect the power of the Brotherhood."
Rathyl
 player, 8 posts
Wed 3 Sep 2003
at 06:46
Re: IC7-37
Following Shae's statement Rathyl brings his full weight down on his front paws, slamming into the ground from a standing position.  He releases a roar of beastial fury.  He then stares at the creature before him, breathing heavily, his gaping maw displays his large teeth.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:56, Wed 03 Sept 2003.

Kallad Shadowglenn
 player, 24 posts
Thu 4 Sep 2003
at 00:54
Re: IC7-37
Kallad steps forward.  "Bezbathal, it is I, Kallad.  We walked together as friends once.  I ask now only for your patience.  There are powers at work we do not understand, but this is no time for rash behavior.  These are my trusted companions.  I believe we can work together for a peaceful solution.  Let us appear before the Council.  We demand it be convened to hear us out.  We have learned much we must share."
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 74 posts
 Elven Druid
Thu 4 Sep 2003
at 02:53
Re: IC7-37
Shae seems to relax over Kallad's words, suddenly moving to kneel before Bezbalath. "You are mighty milord and as my father says, we have much to learn from each other."

Her head is bowed slightly as she says the last, her gaze not directed at the floor, but at the two symbols within the folds of the evil one's cloak.
DM-Heath
 GM, 118 posts
 God.
 God's apprentice.
Thu 4 Sep 2003
at 07:05
Re: IC7-37
Bezbalath throws back his hood and cloak, revealing the hideous creature underneath and the purplish wings folded at his back.  The two symbols are tied securely to his belt along with a small pouch.



"Do you think me a fool, Kallad?  I know your intent.  I know your thoughts."  With this, he touches a clawed finger to his temple.  "I know now that your daughter intends to reach for one of these artifacts."  He indicates the two symbols.  "I know that your knight intends to kill me if he can.  And your ranger will fire his arrows at me, although he does not comprehed that they will never reach me."  He concentrates for a moment, as if probing the thoughts of the others.  "Ah, yes, and I know your other daughter hides behind this coffin holding the very item I have come to take away."  A clawed hand retracts as though to attack the first person who tries to come after him.

"I have known you for the traitor you are from the beginning.  And thus I have played and manipulated you to reach this very moment, as I have manipulated him."  With that, he points at the wary form of Garanon.  "Nevertheless, our association must now sadly come to an end.  I will make it quick for you...and painless."  He takes a step into the room and pulls back his claw to attack.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:06, Thu 04 Sept 2003.

Kallad Shadowglenn
 player, 25 posts
Thu 4 Sep 2003
at 07:09
Re: IC7-37
Kallad concentrates hard for a moment, creases showing on his brow.  "I will give you a gift, Bezbalath."  He then calls back, "Shanjalae, please bring the sceptre forward and give it to Bezbalath."  He then turns back to the creature, one of the most powerful members of the Brotherhood.  "I believe you have misjudged me, Bezbalath.  While it is true my loyalties have been divided due to my family, I will gladly serve you and will choose to serve the Brotherhood above all else.  I believe in your cause, whether you believe that or not."

This message was last edited by the player at 07:18, Thu 04 Sept 2003.

DM-Heath
 GM, 119 posts
 God.
 God's apprentice.
Thu 4 Sep 2003
at 07:16
Re: IC7-37
Bezbalath pauses, again trying to probe.  He stops, expressionless.  "Bring it forth then, and I will spare your life."  A violent quake rocks the mountain.



Bezbalath looks at the party.  "But not their lives.  Only you.  And Garanon.  You two can explain your actions to the Council."

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:16, Thu 04 Sept 2003.

Kallad Shadowglenn
 player, 26 posts
Thu 4 Sep 2003
at 07:19
Re: IC7-37
Kallad nods slowly.  "As you wish."  Then he turns back to the stone coffin.  "Shanjalae, come forth."
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 75 posts
 Elven Druid
Thu 4 Sep 2003
at 09:15
Re: IC7-37
The frown marring Shae's forward grew deeper and deeper the more Kallad spoke, her lips forming into a grim line as he spoke of loyalties.  With Bezbalath focussed on obtaining the Placating Figure, the druidess suddenly acts.  With a gasp of exertion she swings the Dragon Maw dagger at Bezbalath, but her aim is not to wound, instead she directs the blade at the belt holding the two symbols, hoping to sever them from their secured position.

"Don't do it Shanjalae! Give no more power to this thing of evil!" she yells.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:29, Thu 04 Sept 2003.

Kallad Shadowglenn
 player, 27 posts
Thu 4 Sep 2003
at 12:30
Re: IC7-37
Kallad reaches out to try to stop Shae before it is too late.
DM-Heath
 GM, 120 posts
 God.
 God's apprentice.
Thu 4 Sep 2003
at 12:33
Re: IC7-37
Kallad's attempt to stop Shae is unsuccessful.  She breaks free and swings straight at the belt.

But the creature Bezbalath is swift and mighty.  He easily dodges to the side, and the dagger finds only air.  As he steps to the side, he mutters something in some demonic tongue...

...Shae finds herself held in place, unable to move, completely helpless...Floradine shakes off the spell...as does Rathyl...but Joseph is also caught in the hold position, his hands still holding his bow out at Bezbalath.
Shanjalae
 player, 15 posts
Thu 4 Sep 2003
at 12:35
Re: IC7-37
Shanjalae rises from her place behind the coffin and follows her father's instructions, walking forward and handing the artifact to Bezbalath.
Rathyl
 player, 9 posts
Thu 4 Sep 2003
at 18:11
Re: IC7-37
With an angry roar, Rathyl lunges forward to swipe at the demon's midsection with his paw.
DM-Heath
 GM, 121 posts
 God.
 God's apprentice.
Thu 4 Sep 2003
at 21:50
Re: IC7-37
Rathyl lunges at Bezbathal, but he also is too slow for the demon-like creature, which easily sidesteps the bear.  With a disinterested wave of his hands, Bezbathal casts another spell, and a wall of force slams into the bear, throwing it back towards the coffin, where it shakes its head and climbs back to its feet.  (11 hp dmg)
Shanjalae
 player, 16 posts
Thu 4 Sep 2003
at 21:58
Re: IC7-37
Shanjalae steps forward, barely looking at the scene around her.  "It is time for my wish to the Oracle to be fulfilled," she says as she steps to the front to hand Bezbalath the sceptre.
DM-Heath
 GM, 122 posts
 God.
 God's apprentice.
Thu 4 Sep 2003
at 22:04
Re: IC7-37
A violent quake shakes the chamber, raising dust from the floor like a mist from the earth.  Shards of pottery fall to the floor...and Shae and Joseph, inert and unable to concentrate, fall to the floor.  Unable to brace themselves, they feel the cold stone hit their sides and head as they lay sideways, powerless to do anything but watch the spectacle before them.

After the brief earthquake, you hear something...a clattering...coming from the hall behind Bezbalath--the Hall of the Dead.  After a moment, you realize it is the clattering of bones...as though the bones were moving, coming together--and clicking into place.
Sir Floradine
 player, 59 posts
 Human Paladin
Sat 6 Sep 2003
at 03:18
Re: IC7-37
Floradine swings his two handed sword at Bezbalath before Shanjalae can give him the artifact.
DM-Heath
 GM, 123 posts
 God.
 God's apprentice.
Sat 6 Sep 2003
at 23:34
Re: IC7-37
Somehow, Floradine manages to hit Bezbathal with his two handed sword.  (14 hp dmg).  Unfortunately, Bezbathal seems more annoyed than injured, and he swipes a claw around quickly...barely missing the paladin.  But with his second attack, he sends a ball of electricity flying through the air...and it slams into the paladin's chest, throwing Floradine to the floor in a fit of spasms.  (16 hp dmg).

With the paladin temporarily out of commission, Bezbathal turns his attention back to Shanjalae, who steps up and hands him the sceptre.  With a victorious chuckle, Bezbathal reaches for the sceptre.  His hand grasps it, and his smile turns into a surprised wince of pain.  He opens his mouth to scream, but his body begins twitching.  Smoke begins rising as he shakes.  He lets out one mind-numbing scream of pain before falling to the ground, his body a burnt carcasse and his hand still clutching the sceptre as the corpse in the niche had been.

Another earthquake-like shudder rocks the ground.  The party is trying to collect itself while Joseph and Shae are still held in place by the spell.

That's when you notice the movement--shadows from your lantern light moving in the Hall of the Dead beyond the archway.  And the clacking of bones from that area gives you no comfort.

A sound behind you makes you turn.  The corpse that once held the sceptre is moving on the ground, its rotted hands moving to the ground to pull itself to its feet.  One of those hands curls around Joseph's leg where he lies helpless on the ground.

As the party turns to help Joseph, the spell ends, and Joseph and Shae are free to move again.
Rathyl
 player, 10 posts
Sun 7 Sep 2003
at 02:17
Re: IC7-37
Rearing on his hind legs, Rathyl spreads his front paws wide and releases a furious roar.
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 76 posts
 Elven Druid
Sun 7 Sep 2003
at 10:33
Re: IC7-37
As soon as she is able to move Shae scrambles her way to Bezbalath's body, ripping the Symbol of Life free from its bindings. Turning towards the undead attacking Joseph, she runs at it, trying to touch its lifeless body with the symbol.
DM-Heath
 GM, 124 posts
 God.
 God's apprentice.
Mon 8 Sep 2003
at 13:55
Re: IC7-37
Shae grabs the Symbol of Life from its bindings and touches the corpse that is coming to life.  The Symbol seems to reinvigorate the corpse, making it stronger, and you see its tendons and muscles growing stronger, flesh seeming to grow on top of it, animating it.  Its grip around Joseph tightens.

The noises from the hall grow louder.

Another quake shakes the chamber, knocking...Garanon off his feet.
Joseph
 player, 30 posts
Tue 9 Sep 2003
at 02:57
Re: IC7-37
As the feeling of movement returns to his body Joseph begins to push away from the skeletal body that is trying to grab his leg.  Before he can slip away from it's grasp Shae leaps forward and touches it with a object and the body begins to take on more life than before.  Now joseph struggles even harder to get free as the hand becomes stronger with the addition of new muscle.
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 77 posts
 Elven Druid
Tue 9 Sep 2003
at 05:06
Re: IC7-37
Shae looks horrified as the undead creature gained life from the Symbol, “By Lynx! I would have thought an artefact of life would have an adverse affect on a creature of death!! Sorry Joseph!”

Turning on her heel she bolts back to Bezbalath’s lifeless form, this time freeing the Symbol of Death.

“Please let this work.” she mutters as she touches the creature again, this time with the second symbol.
Sir Floradine
 player, 60 posts
 Human Paladin
Tue 9 Sep 2003
at 23:08
Re: IC7-37
Floradine rushes over to cut off the hand of the undead creature with his two handed sword.
Rathyl
 player, 11 posts
Wed 10 Sep 2003
at 04:05
Re: IC7-37
Rathyl turns to face the door, cocking his head to the side as he stares at the entrance to the room.
DM-Heath
 GM, 125 posts
 God.
 God's apprentice.
Wed 10 Sep 2003
at 10:42
Re: IC7-37
Floradine easily chops off the arm of the partially reanimated corpse.  Shae arrives a moment later with the Symbol of Death and touches the creature.  The Symbol has no apparent effect on the moving corpse, which squirms out of instinct but is not willful.

Rathyl stares out the entrance.  An amorphous group of bones, mummified body parts and partially reanimated corpses seems to move like an unguided horde, partially toward the archway and partially the other way.  Some seem to be coming back to life, some are beyond that.
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 78 posts
 Elven Druid
Wed 10 Sep 2003
at 11:14
Re: IC7-37
Shae shrugs in frustration when the Symbol of Death doesn't destroy the undead creature as she expected.

"I just don't get it!" she exclaims as she ties both symbols securely within her sash, "Perhaps it would be best to use the teleportation staff to escape further into the cavern away from these things!" she indicates one of the squirming undead with a wave of her hand, "and climb the rest of the way out."
Rathyl
 player, 12 posts
Thu 11 Sep 2003
at 04:58
Re: IC7-37
Rathyl turns his head to the others and begins to grunt and growl, pointing with one paw at the door, with the other hanging at his side.
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 79 posts
 Elven Druid
Thu 11 Sep 2003
at 05:17
Re: IC7-37
Hearing the bear growling and noticing it motioning at the entrance, the druidess turns her gaze in that direction, her golden eyes straining to see what it is the Rathyl does.
DM-Heath
 GM, 126 posts
 God.
Thu 11 Sep 2003
at 22:58
Re: IC7-37
The reanimated forms move with various body parts of their own volition, but none seems to be doing much more than move randomly around.  They do not appear to be hostile or self aware...

...except for one figure pushing its way through the mass of bones and flesh.  He crawls through towards you with a staff in one hand.  He seems to be fully regenerated and human although wrapped in traditional mummification wrapping.  He looks around in confusion, his head moving back and forth as he crawls out of the mess of bodies.
Rathyl
 player, 13 posts
Fri 12 Sep 2003
at 07:15
Re: IC7-37
Rathyl drops back to all fours as lightly as possible and ambles over to the side of the door.
Sir Floradine
 player, 61 posts
 Human Paladin
Fri 12 Sep 2003
at 07:21
Re: IC7-37
Floradine helps Joseph to his feet and away from the moving corpse.  Then he holds his two handed sword ready while going to the arch to see the intentions of the mummy-like thing approaching.
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 80 posts
 Elven Druid
Fri 12 Sep 2003
at 07:26
Re: IC7-37
Shae moves back to stand near Shanjalae, urging the girl to retrieve the Placating Figure.  Her eyes don't move from the approaching figure however, apprehension clearly lining her features.

"Let us hope its intentions are not hostile." she murmurs.
Shanjalae
 player, 17 posts
Fri 12 Sep 2003
at 14:12
Re: IC7-37
Shanjalae removes the sceptre from Bezbalath's rotting corpse.
Garanon
 player, 14 posts
Fri 12 Sep 2003
at 14:24
Re: IC7-37
Garanon rifles through Bezbalath's belongings to see what he has.
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 81 posts
 Elven Druid
Fri 12 Sep 2003
at 19:11
Re: IC7-37
The druidess notes Garanon's actions out of the corner of her eye and her brow furrows.  "What else does Bezbalath have on him Garanon?  Does he hold any of the other relics.?" she asks.
Fire
 player, 1 post
 A master socerer of fire
Fri 12 Sep 2003
at 20:36
Re: IC7-37
From within the heap of bodies, out crawls Fire, the master socerer of the element of his name and holder of many secrets of the land as it was in the past.

"You have awakened me from my slumber.  I give my thanks to and from the power of Fire, by which I am called"

He kneels down before the group.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:34, Fri 12 Sept 2003.

Shae Shadowglen
 player, 82 posts
 Elven Druid
Sat 13 Sep 2003
at 07:37
Re: IC7-37
One delicate eyebrow arches at the approach of the man named Fire as the druidess awaits a reply from Garanon. She remain quiet however, her golden eyes merely watching the newcomer as he kneels before her companions.
Rathyl
 player, 14 posts
Sat 13 Sep 2003
at 19:03
Re: IC7-37
Rathyl remains to the side of the door, making as little sound as possible and watching the newcomer with his mouth hanging open.
DM-Heath
 GM, 127 posts
 God.
Sun 14 Sep 2003
at 23:23
Re: IC7-37
Garanon sifts through Bezbathal's things.  All he finds is a magical rod of some sort and an empty bag.

An explosion rocks the cavern.  Behind you, the sound of cracking rock comes from the area of the stone coffin.  As you watch, its lid cracks and fresh lava begins to flow out.
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 83 posts
 Elven Druid
Mon 15 Sep 2003
at 01:07
Re: IC7-37
Shae scoops Shanjalae up into her arms and bolts towards the door. "We're leaving! Introductions will have to wait until later.  Mind the undead things on your way out!"

She assures that Kallad, and her other companions follow, "Floradine, that teleportation staff would be mighty handy about now!"
Rathyl
 player, 15 posts
Mon 15 Sep 2003
at 06:52
Re: IC7-37
Rathyl releases a whine of fear and bolts for the door on all fours, running as fast as he can away from the lava.
Fire
 player, 2 posts
 A master socerer of fire
Mon 15 Sep 2003
at 21:09
Re: IC7-37
"You have nothing to fear of me.  I realize that normal people don't climb out of piles of body parts but I am not like the average person.  I am a master of fire and was once a scholar of the land.  I could be a very useful asset to your group and would more than pull my share of fighting wieght if you'll have me"
Fire says as he kicks aside the decaying body parts around his feet.
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 84 posts
 Elven Druid
Tue 16 Sep 2003
at 00:23
Re: IC7-37
The druidess often raises one eyebrow when she is puzzled, and as Fire speaks its delicate curve does so again.

“We’ll discuss you travelling with us later, if we escape the burning inferno this volcano is rapidly becoming.” she calls over her shoulder, pausing long enough to point at the Lava spewing into the room.

She sounds a little harsh when she speaks, but from the look on her face it would seem her words are driven from apprehension over surviving the current situation.

“Now let’s move people!”
Sir Floradine
 player, 62 posts
 Human Paladin
Tue 16 Sep 2003
at 22:44
Re: IC7-37
Sir Floradine follows Shae's directive and tries to use the teleportation staff, facing it so that 50 feet should open up into the room with the cages.
DM-Heath
 GM, 128 posts
 God.
Wed 17 Sep 2003
at 22:43
Re: IC7-37
Floradine uses the staff, and the liquid level in its vial drains down to one last usage.  The portal opens up, and the party steps through one by one...

...and safely into the room with the trap cages.
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 85 posts
 Elven Druid
Thu 18 Sep 2003
at 03:26
Re: IC7-37
The druidess places her younger but wiser sister down beside Kallad before turning  to her companions.

"Remember to follow closely behind me so you dont get caught as the traps reset." she says before turning on her heel and running across the room, dodging pieces of  broken masonry, diving and rolling to avoid the traps as she makes for the safety of the other side of the room.
Joseph
 player, 31 posts
Thu 18 Sep 2003
at 03:32
Re: IC7-37
Joseph's not sure what to make of this new Fire person and does not let him out of his sight.  Entering the portal after him Joseph waits for Fire to cross the cage room before he does so himself.  "Let's get the heck out of here." he calls out as he gets to the other side.
Rathyl
 player, 16 posts
Thu 18 Sep 2003
at 05:58
Re: IC7-37
Rathyl rushes across the room, being careful to stay behind Shae.
Fire
 player, 3 posts
 A master socerer of fire
Thu 18 Sep 2003
at 20:58
Re: IC7-37
Fire stays close to the group to avoid being trapped.  He holds his staff in battle stance to defend against the traps
Fire
 player, 5 posts
 A master socerer of fire
Tue 7 Oct 2003
at 22:12
Re: IC7-37
As Fire moves futher into the chamber he feels his stomach lurch