IC8-1.   Posted by DM-Heath.Group: 0
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 118 posts
 Elven Druid
Tue 2 Dec 2003
at 14:27
Re: IC8-1
The druid seems slightly mollified by Gathbael and the Pipe Smoking Wizards words, though sparks still dance in her eyes. When Garanon speaks to her she regards him coolly, staying quiet for several drawn out moments after he's finished speaking.

Finally, "Rathyl was my brother?! How can that be?  He was a full blooded elf, how could he be the rightful heir to a human throne?"

Her gaze swivels to the Pipe Smoking Wizard, "And whilst I'm trying to sort out all this bloody intrigue, perhaps you might tell me your name.  I'm getting tired of referring to you as 'that Pipe Smoking Wizard'".
Garanon
 player, 24 posts
Tue 2 Dec 2003
at 14:46
Re: IC8-1
"Rathyl had many forms," Garanon says.  "You saw but a few.  I know that he could easily mimic the elf, a flying squirrel, a panther, a brown bear, a pseudodragon, a griffin, and a dire wolf.  Perhaps more.  It is unfortunate you never had the chance to see his true form.  You perhaps would have seen much of yourself in him.  In truth, his mentor was a nobleman elf, and he took his form and mimicked it well.  Your family is gifted in the manner of changing its form.  The young prince was among the finest."

He shakes his head.  "Our hopes now lie with you and your mother, the last of a long line of royalty."
Sir Floradine
 player, 89 posts
 Human Paladin
Wed 3 Dec 2003
at 05:31
Re: IC8-1
Floradine turns his head down.  "So I have failed the crown."  He looks over at Shae.  "I will not fail it again."
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 119 posts
 Elven Druid
Wed 3 Dec 2003
at 05:41
Re: IC8-1
"Wait a minute!" Shae says holding up her hands, an unconscious wince crossing her features as her gaze passes over her stump to Floradine.

"You have failed no-one Ellid," she says firmly, "With the deceit, lies and intrigue that has been happening, you were not to know who Rathyl really was, or what part he really played in this game of pawns." Her eyes flicker to the three wizards as she says the last, "Put aside any guilt you feel, for it is misplaced."

Her attention shifts back to Garanon, "What do you mean "my family" has the gift for shifting forms. Humans and elves do NOT naturally shift forms. My abilites to shift into a Lynx is purely a gift from my totem spirit.  Tell me all you know about my family Garanon!  I will have no more secrets and no more intrigue.  I will know everything now, or else you will have one less heir to the throne to worry about!"
DM-Heath
 GM, 160 posts
 God.
Wed 3 Dec 2003
at 07:05
Re: IC8-1
"Garanon knows nothing more than we tell him," the pipesmoking wizard says.  He smiles.  "Totem spirits?  Your totem spirits do not give such gifts to every worshipper, correct?  Think about it.  Righteous kings are sometimes blessed of the gods.  Your ancestors were such blessed people, given a gift to help them escape the evil men with unrighteous ambition.  The gift to transform oneself."

"Although it manifests differently among the heirs," Ashe adds.

Gathbael says, "It is said that the evolution of our kind--men, elves, dwarves and the like--is not made in a slow progression, but in a giant leap.  Your kin were given the gift of such a leap.  An evolution of the species.  Alboron had the key to unlock the next giant leap."

"Only his research will give us the hope to overcome the Gathering," the pipesmoking wizard says.  "Otherwise, we will be doomed.  The Brotherhood grows in strength.  They will add the strength of dragons to their allies."

"Death, destruction," Ashe says.  "If they got ahold of Alboron's research or my research.  Or my dragon or my artifacts.  What I did was necessary.  The traps.  The location."

The pipesmoking wizard addresses Shae.  "Would you have us sacrifice the world to save a few trees?  Or a few lives?"  He looks to Floradine.  "Is it better to let evil reign, young knight, than to stomp it out at the cost of a few lives?"

Gathbael says, "If the Brotherhood succeeds, the entire forest will be gone.  Our cities and civilization will fall to anarchy.  The elves, dwarves, humans, even the peaceful halflings, will all be wiped out of existence.  Innocents will be killed."  He pauses.  "And the world we know as Allevia will be destroyed, along with all its life, its people, its societies."

Ashe says, "We must bring back Alboron.  He alone understands his research.  I could not decipher his codes.  The leap must be made."  He begins to mumble under his breath.

Gathbael steps closer.  "We must have the Symbols of Life and Death to bring back Alboron.  Will you give them to us?"  He holds out his hand.
DM-Heath
 GM, 161 posts
 God.
Wed 3 Dec 2003
at 07:23
Re: IC8-1
The pipesmoking wizard answers Shae's previous question.  "We three wizards are called the Trinity.  We have been around for a very long time, longer even than any elf.  We were here before when the dragons were banished.  Who do you think managed that feat?  Some people have called me the Harbinger, but I have many names.  They are ancient and of no use to you."

Then he pulls out a scroll, touches Shae's hand, and begins to read from it.  Shae begins to pull back, but then she waits.  The voice is soft, and when it ends, the scroll flashes into non-existence.

Shae is staring down at her hand restored.  She flexes it for a moment.  "A simple restorative regeneration spell," the Harbinger says.  "Can't have a one-handed queen now, can we?"
Sir Floradine
 player, 90 posts
 Human Paladin
Wed 3 Dec 2003
at 08:59
Re: IC8-1
Floradine nods slowly.  "I think they're right, Shae.  As much as I hate to admit it, I think you should give them the symbols."
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 120 posts
 Elven Druid
Wed 3 Dec 2003
at 10:06
Re: IC8-1
Shae seems transfixed by the return of her hand for several long moments before her golden eyes meet those of the Harbinger. "Thank you." she says quietly.

She flexes her hand once more before her attention is again trained on the three men. "I'm not sure I understand all that you've told me, and I will not get into a philosphical debate over the price of a few lives for a perceived greater good. It has been more than just a 'few' lives or trees I'll have you know."

Pausing a moment, she gives a heavy sigh, "Nevertheless, on Floradine's recommendation the symbols are yours.  I do have a request though.  If you can bring back Alboron, you can also bring back Rathyl, Kallad, Shaelad, Joseph and the others that have passed.  We also have bought the Oracle you created with us.  You can make use of it aswell right?"

She begins to retrieve the two symbols that lay carefully wrapped within her sash, "There is something else I would know.  Are you saying that my heritage allows me to transform into forms other than just a Lynx?"
DM-Heath
 GM, 162 posts
 God.
Wed 3 Dec 2003
at 11:20
Re: IC8-1
Gathbael graciously takes the symbols from her.  "Bringing one back to life requires the body to be present.  If you had their bodies, then it might be possible.  The life force of Alboron is also very strong.  I do not know about the others."

The Harbinger says, "We have already used the Oracle.  It is best left away from those who would use it for...alternative purposes."

"But the other artifacts you have collected," Ashe says.  "We must keep them safely away from the Brotherhood."

"Yes," Gathbael agrees.  "And also, I believe you were collecting some potions for me.  Of longevity.  In exchange for the magical items I was creating for you."

The Harbinger takes the symbols from Gathbael and says, "Let them rest and regain their strength.  Store the artifacts, heal them, and let us adjourn for now.  We must prepare Alboron's body."  He turns to leave the group with Ashe and Gathbael.

Watching the Harbinger leave, Gathbael responds to Shae's question.  "Other forms?  I don't know that.  It manifests differently on every heir.  Rathyl worked hard to learn his forms, studying almost nothing else.  You have dedicated yourself to one totem.  The answer to your question lies within you."
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 121 posts
 Elven Druid
Wed 3 Dec 2003
at 12:53
Re: IC8-1
The druid nods to Gathbael and her shoulders visibly sag. "Rest.  That would be very welcome."

She moves to take Shanjalae's hand, smiling down at the younger elf. "Come sister, let us enjoy a hot bath, good food and lots of sleep."
Sir Floradine
 player, 91 posts
 Human Paladin
Wed 3 Dec 2003
at 13:10
Re: IC8-1
Floradine is reluctant for a moment, but then he agrees and hands over the artifacts to the wizards.  Slightly embarrassed, he says, "You two enjoy your hot bath.  I will make do with getting out of this armor and sleeping."
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 122 posts
 Elven Druid
Thu 4 Dec 2003
at 05:14
Re: IC8-1
Despite the turmoil of a few moments earlier, the druid smiles at the embarrassed flush on the paladin’s cheeks. “Why the embarrassment Sir Knight?” she inquires, “You are welcome to join us if you wish.  We are in the presence of 3 powerful wizards. If they can create magics for teleportations, and to regrow limbs" she waves her restored hang at him, "I’m sure they can conjure enough hot water for us all.”

"Besides," she leans forward and gives a loud sniff, "You smell!"
DM-Heath
 GM, 163 posts
 God.
Fri 5 Dec 2003
at 13:18
Re: IC8-1
"Yes, yes, hot water for all," Ashe says.  Then he yells out at a screetchingly loud voice, "Mucklaster, where are you, you fool?!  Draw them a bath!"

The halfling apprentice appears after a few moments.  "Digastrous pilule!  Curse me for my lateness.  It is so good to see you again.  I will draw you a bath straight away."  The halfling runs off.

The night falls.  The party is healed, bathes, and then falls into a deep slumber, at peace for the first time in too long.

You are awakened early by the Harbinger.  "He is gone," he says.  "Took them all!"

"How could you let this happen?" Ashe says.

"Me?" says the Harbinger.  "It was that idiot jewel.  The magic corrupted him."

"Yes," says a voice, and you see Mucklaster shying away in the background.  "He has not been himself in the last year since...well, since the magic returned to the artifacts.  Always scratching at his eye patch where the jewel was hiding."

"After he drank your longevity potions and made himself young again," the Harbinger explains, "he took the artifacts, including your portable hole.  Then he fled."

"We are ruined!" Ashe says.  "Shouldn't have trusted him!"

"Perhaps," the Harbinger says.  "But I do not believe he is fleeing to the Brotherhood."

"Where then?"

"To get the other artifacts, or at least to find out where they are.  Only one person knows that.  The neutral one who serves none of the agendas of the Brotherhood."

"The only one they trust," Ashe says, nodding.

"Yes.  Syrissa."  [Assuming the party told them their tale.]  "That is also where you will find the queen.  We must go there."

"No," Ashe says.  "We cannot.  Our presence would surely alert the Brotherhood."

The wizards turn their gazes on you.
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 123 posts
 Elven Druid
Fri 5 Dec 2003
at 18:38
Re: IC8-1
"You're kidding right?!" Shae looks extremely unimpressed with her arms crossed and the frown marring her features, "Frankly I've had enough of this.  Everywhere I turn it seems I find a liar or a traitor. You can't honestly expect us to chase down a wizard as powerful as Gathbael!  You pair are the ones with the teleportation spells and other powerful magics at their command. You would have better luck surely?"
DM-Heath
 GM, 164 posts
 God.
Fri 5 Dec 2003
at 23:52
Re: IC8-1
Ashe nods.  "Yes, I can teleport you to within an hour's walk of Syrissa, and a staff to teleport you back here."

The Harbinger says,  "However, you are not to fight Gathbael.  That would be folly.  We want you to talk to Syrissa, find out where the Brotherhood is, or where the artifacts are.  If you find the queen, you can rescue her and bring her back here.  Syrissa is not a violent person, and we expect no resistence.  But as you can see, she would be suspicious of the two of us showing up.  Not only does she know who we are and that we are not with the Brotherhood, but you yourselves are suspicious of us despite our candor."  He looks at Garanon.  "Besides, Garanon is known to be a friend to the Brotherhood.  He can help.  We do not believe Syrissa knows of his loyalty to us."
DM-Heath
 GM, 165 posts
 God.
Sat 6 Dec 2003
at 04:02
Re: IC8-1
[Note to all:  Experience points updated.  Please make appropriate adjustments.]
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 124 posts
 Elven Druid
Sat 6 Dec 2003
at 05:19
Re: IC8-1
"I think we have every right to be suspicious," Shae retorts, "Your 'candor,' as you put it, has been none existent up until this point. Our first enounter with you Harbinger, was in the middle of the forest in the dead of night - your message cryptic and forboding. We've been manipulated at every turn, by your lackey," she points a finger at Garanon, "And by my own father, to name a few. So do not speak to me of my suspicious nature."

"However," she gives a heavy sigh and her anger seems to dissipate with it, "It seems I have little choice in this matter.  If I am to find the Queen, then I must go. But let it be known. Once she is safe, I am done with this.  I will be returning to my clan, my real family, amongst the elves."

She pauses for a moment collecting her thoughts, "You said that Syrissa was neutral.  Why do you fear going to her?  Why are links with the brotherhood," she indicated Garanon again, "going to put us in better stead when dealing with this woman? That would seem to indicate she is less than neutral......"

This message was last edited by the player at 05:22, Sat 06 Dec 2003.

DM-Heath
 GM, 166 posts
 God.
Sun 7 Dec 2003
at 06:55
Re: IC8-1
The Harbinger says, "Let me clarify.  Among the Brotherhood, she is the neutral one.  Hence, she is the one they trust with information."
Sir Floradine
 player, 92 posts
 Human Paladin
Sun 7 Dec 2003
at 13:30
Re: IC8-1
Floradine says, "Fine, then.  Open up the portal and let's get this show moving.  The queen's been locked up long enough."
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 125 posts
 Elven Druid
Sun 7 Dec 2003
at 23:25
Re: IC8-1
"Didn't the Oracle say the Queen was at an Inn?" Shae suddenly asks, waiting for Ashe to open his portal, "That hardly seems an ideal place to hold the ruler of a kingdom."
DM-Heath
 GM, 167 posts
 God.
Mon 8 Dec 2003
at 05:19
Re: IC8-1
The Harbinger sucks on his pipe for a moment.  "At an inn?  Syrissa must have been traveling at the time.  She is out and about much of the time.  She is a peculiar woman.  Very eccentric.  She loves art in any form.  Her chateau is filled with paintings, tapestries, statues, and all sorts of objet d'art. I'm sure she must have returned by now.  From what you told me, it appears that the queen must be trapped in some sort of object.  Syrissa has a bag of holding similar to your portable hole.  I suspect she keeps it in there and takes it with her to avoid possible theft."

He runs out of the room and returns a moment later with a small painting.  "This is very valuable," he says.  "As I said, she is eccentric.  She covers all of her body and face at all times.  Some say she must be hideously ugly or deformed, and thus she loves art and all things beautiful but is ashamed of herself.  At any rate, give her this painting as a token of your goodwill.  At the very least, she should be flattered by your offering."

He grabs his staff, preparing to open the portal.  "Any more questions?"
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 126 posts
 Elven Druid
Mon 8 Dec 2003
at 05:47
Re: IC8-1
Shae nods."The Queen had reportedly died, and yet, she is held captive by this Syrissa.  How did that come about?"
DM-Heath
 GM, 168 posts
 God.
Mon 8 Dec 2003
at 06:36
Re: IC8-1
"I too am at a loss there.  I also thought she was dead.  It is mostly guesswork for me."
DM-Heath
 GM, 169 posts
 God.
Tue 9 Dec 2003
at 05:19
Re: IC8-1
Ashe steps forward.  He waves his staff and a portal opens, shimmering and round.  "Remember," he says, "Gathbael looks different now. He took those longevity potions and now appears to be in his twenties.  But he still wears the patch over his eye where the jewel is hidden."

"I sincerely apologize for his behavior," Mucklaster says.  "He has been acting so strange lately.  Very unkind."

"It is the magic of the jewel," the Harbinger explains.  "The awakening magic is corrupting him to its own will."  He looks at the party to see if there are any parting questions.
Shae Shadowglen
 player, 127 posts
 Elven Druid
Wed 10 Dec 2003
at 00:18
Re: IC8-1
Shae nods. "We'll keep an eye out for him."

She turns to enter the portal, but just before she steps through she turns back to Ashe, "I apologise to inform you of this, but your apprentice was one of the unfortunate to fall on our trip to your tower.  Also, the Baron is most displeased with your lack of contact with him.  Whilst we are gone, you might wish to contact him."