009 = Departing Dolganswash =   Posted by DM - Jeff.Group: 0
DM - Jeff
 GM, 342 posts
Mon 9 Mar 2009
at 00:15
009 = Departing Dolganswash =
    Emmet has the wagons ready to go.  The final repairs were done hastily but seem sufficient enough.   Kastus heads over to the smith and settles the cost of the repairs.

    The sun comes out from behind the scattered clouds providing a warmth that cuts through the initial chill from emerging from the warm Inn.  It looks to be around noon and the weather in the pass seems clear.
Durl Rockfist
 player, 99 posts
Mon 9 Mar 2009
at 03:38
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
Durl climbed aboard the wagon. He sat down next to the gnome. "Move over ta the side. I'll be riding with ye dis time. If there be orcs or any other vermin, ye will have me by yer side for protection."

The dwarf loaded his crossbow before he set it on his lap. His mule bayed several times in protest as it was tied to the rear of the wagon.
Aldo Rathmus
 player, 96 posts
 Human Fighter
Mon 9 Mar 2009
at 05:08
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
Unless Sigismund has other instructions, Rath takes his place at the front of the group, tromping along the right side of the road about a dozen paces ahead of the wagons. He peers up with a suspicious squint at the sun.
Ciara Tavares
 player, 142 posts
 Play for me
 minstrel play
Mon 9 Mar 2009
at 06:14
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
If there are no objections Ciara takes a place at the side of the wagon, a bit to the rear. She hopes that there won't be any orcs showing up at all and eyes the surroundings nervously. Mikale and his friends have to be somewhere, too.
Umfrey
 player, 76 posts
Mon 9 Mar 2009
at 08:23
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
Not wanting to be caught in the middle of the company in the event of trouble Umfrey hung back as the wagons set off. Lingering at the back Umfrey didn’t feel too trapped and was confident he could make a quick exit if needed. The decision was made through habit rather than a conscious decision. When Umfrey realised the reason for his action he chided himself but still remained at the rear, his short dwarven legs working hard to keep pace with the wagons.
Carlo
 player, 165 posts
Mon 9 Mar 2009
at 11:24
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
Carlo takes a position at the front of the troupe. He feels somewhat naked at having used all of the blessings he can ask for, but consoles himself that sometimes this is exactly the situation in which you must prove yourself.

As they all set off, he tarries a little o wax the groove of his crossbow, but quickly catches up, clutching the weapon close to his chest as he walks nd scanning about warily. He has a suspicion that it is not feasible to spend all one's waking hours looking for danger, but for now this is exactly what he does.
Sigismund Rider
 player, 95 posts
 Torm wills it!
Mon 9 Mar 2009
at 15:38
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
Sigismund opts to riding along. He keeps Jisk to the left of the wagon and slightly ahead of the team pulling it along. Rath's choice makes a good impression - the young man has keen eyes that would not only be valuable in spotting a possible ambush, but further marks from the Dragons, too.
DM - Jeff
 GM, 343 posts
Mon 9 Mar 2009
at 18:44
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
   "Do be careful."  Brimzanzle says to Durl.  "I've bypassed most of the machinery but it is very delicate."

   Sir Evan is at the gate to send the group off along with three Purple Dragon soldiers on horseback.

   "These three men will accompany you to your camp, I assure you of their loyalty.  Perhaps after spending some time with them you will be able to spot an impostor more easily in the future."  He then turns his attention to the soldiers.  "Hansen, you have your orders, report back on the Orc situation as soon as possible."

   "Aye sir."  He responds leading the other two horsemen in line with the wagons.

   Brimzanzle eyes them up and down then turns to Durl.  "They do have a better look about them then those last folk, I'm a pretty good judge of character you know, though no one ever seems to take heed."

--

   As the wagons exit the gate, the two approaching wagons that Ciara saw earier are growing near.  They are arriving to the the outpost from the east, the same way you had come from, so it is not likely you will get a chance to meet with them though they will be at the gate in a few minutes.  The lead wagon is completely paneled in wood painted dark with gold trim.  Several gaurds on horseback accompany it.  A robed dwarf sits in the driver seat.
Carlo
 player, 166 posts
Mon 9 Mar 2009
at 20:07
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
"I think we should wait a little," says Carlo, gesturing at the new arrivals, "They might have some news"
Aldo Rathmus
 player, 97 posts
 Human Fighter
Tue 10 Mar 2009
at 05:28
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
Rath peers back over his shoulder and shrugs. It's not his call to make, so he leaves that to Sigismund to work out.
Umfrey
 player, 77 posts
Tue 10 Mar 2009
at 13:50
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
Umfrey look on the approaching wagon with an open look of fear. Suddenly being at the rear of the travelling company was not such a clever idea. Moving almost crab-like so he could keep his eyes on the rear Umfrey ran side-wards to catch up with the wagon. The dwarf reached near the front to hear Carlo’s proposal. With a lump in his throat Umfrey shook his head ”nay” he hesitated when the eyes of his companions were directed at him ”they’ve come from da east, we’re heading da other way. Stopping now will only delay us reaching the rest of the caravan before nightfall.”

This message was last edited by the player at 13:51, Tue 10 Mar 2009.

Carlo
 player, 167 posts
Tue 10 Mar 2009
at 17:39
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
Carlo looks in puzzlement at the dwarf. He is about to speak but isn't immune to the expression on the other's face. He looks briefly at the wagon and notices, now that he looks properly, that it is being driven by a dwarf.

Not his place to interfere, he decides, and voices his change of mind. "On second thoughts, let's get going."

After a little while, he tries delicately to broach a subject that has been nagging at him. "Master Umfrey, I wonder, have you knowledge of things mechanical and magical? There is something I have been trying to get my head around."
Umfrey
 player, 78 posts
Wed 11 Mar 2009
at 12:53
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =

With a tug at this coppery beard Umfrey agreed with Carlo’s revised opinion and continued his march along the road, now at the fore of the wagon. He couldn’t resist the occasional furtive glance on his shoulder until Dolganswash was out of sight.

His nerves had been rattled however and he stuffed his hands into his pockets to hide his trembling. It had been a close thing. When Carlo questioned him the dwarf looked up to meet the cleric’s eyes. In doing so Umfrey saw a small symbol stitched onto the cleric’s robes. It reminded Umfrey of Carlo’s position and offered salvation.

Umfrey nodded and rubbed his beard ”I used to work in the library at the delving of Dumathoin’s Gate. I began initial training to become a Talhund*. What’s puzzling you manling?”

* Talhund – a Silent Keeper, servant of the mute God Dumathoin
Carlo
 player, 168 posts
Wed 11 Mar 2009
at 17:36
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
Carlo pauses before replying. He sees no need to hurry and can tell the dwarf is trembling. "It's this soul sphere," he says quietly, "from what our friend said, it would appear to be largely mechanical. Yet it's effect would be, well, spiritual or magical. But is it possible that a device made purely out of metal, of gears and pulleys, can gain purchase on a man's soul? Imprison it, even? Is it a question of divine mathematicks that allows this to happen?"

"I ask because, if these...people...are going to plan on constructing such a device, I wonder if there are any specific materials they might need. Or skills. Something which might help to locate them."

DM - Jeff
 GM, 346 posts
Wed 11 Mar 2009
at 18:29
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
    "It is doubtful they carry news that we haven't heard already."  Kastus says studying the new arrivals.  "And we run late already, it'll be dark before we arrive if we tarry to long."

    Leaving Dolganswash behind, the company continues in to Tilver's Gap.  The two wagons that were approaching the outpost stop at the gates for quite some time before entering the outpost just as Dolganswash is leaving your view.



Feel free to continue any conversations in this thread even if simultaneously posting in the next chapter:

        = Tilver's Gap =
Ciara Tavares
 player, 143 posts
 Play for me
 minstrel play
Wed 11 Mar 2009
at 18:35
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
A little puzzled Ciara watches Umfrey hurry from his position at the rear towards the front, where Carlo and the others are. With a frown she looks at the new arrived wagon, wondering if they could be the reason for the dwarf's hurry. Since she can't make out anything unusual the bard shrugs and urges her horse forward.
Aldo Rathmus
 player, 98 posts
 Human Fighter
Thu 12 Mar 2009
at 05:33
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
Rath shrugs again and starts forward, either oblivious to Umfrey's plight or uncaring.
Umfrey
 player, 79 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2009
at 19:52
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
Umfrey pondered Carlo’s question without hurrying an answer ”now I can’t imagine a machine being able to strip away someone’s soul” the fact that whoever they were pursuing to recover the stolen soul sphere plans would need some kind of spiritual or arcane aid to build it gave Umfrey more to fear. The dwarf tried to shake his head to clear the thought but it kept returning to him. He needed a strong drink. Anything to stop him thinking about it. Finally he spat at the ground and then as he continued to walk he stamped the spittle into the road ”there was a dwarf on that last wagon we saw” he nervously looked around as if someone might be listening ”he’d be the sort of dwarf you’d need if you were foolish enough to try building such a machine.”

This message was last edited by the player at 19:53, Thu 12 Mar 2009.

Sigismund Rider
 player, 96 posts
 Torm wills it!
Thu 12 Mar 2009
at 20:12
Re: 009 = Departing Dolganswash =
Sigismund notes Umfreys reaction to the wagon coming towards Dolganwash. He wonders what that is about. It seems a somewhat extreme reaction on the dwarfs part. The paladin ponders the possibility of waiting for the wagon on his own and catch up with the others later. He has to admit to himself that it is only personal curiosity, though. With last nights events a more paranoid interpretation also comes briefly to mind, but is firmly pushed aside. That way lies mistrust in everyone and everything.

Turning away from the approaching wagon Sigismund rides along with the group towards Tilver's Gap, keeping an interested eye on the conversation between Carlo and Umfrey without getting any closer to actually catch what is being said.