011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =   Posted by DM - Jeff.Group: 0
Ciara Tavares
 player, 151 posts
 Play for me
 minstrel play
Sun 29 Mar 2009
at 15:02
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
Ciara has had bad dreams about howling wolves hunting her, not knowing that she actually heard something that night. Yawning she crawls out of her tent and shivers when she touches the icy water to wash her face. At least she feels awake after that and gets dressed.

Still shivering she joins the others and helps preparing breakfast, while listening. "I think the problem is, that we don't know enough about the thieves, the surroundings and the sorcerer, that we don't have a plan", Ciara says and nods to Umfrey. "If we go looking for the thieves ahead, we can't keep an eye on the sorcerer. That would give the thieves the chance to meet with the sorcerer without us knowing, right? I think it would be an idea worth thinking about to keep an eye on the sorcerer. If our thieves know about him, they will certainly meet and then we have them." The young bard looks from one to the other, quite satisfied with her own plan.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:24, Sun 29 Mar 2009.

Aldo Rathmus
 player, 109 posts
 Human Fighter
Sun 29 Mar 2009
at 22:51
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
Rath grinds his teeth and grimaces. He gives Ciara and Carlos wary glances. He finally finds his tongue and says quietly to Ciara, obviously loathe to disagree with her, "The dwarf thinks the sorcerer would toast us. Excuse me, necro-sorcerer. Me, I'm not thinking we can gamble that he's wrong about that."
Sigismund Rider
 player, 101 posts
 Torm wills it!
Tue 31 Mar 2009
at 11:27
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
Sigismund returns in time for the conversation about what to do about the necromancer. He sits down with the others and has a light breakfast during the discussion. It is a difficult question. Of course it would be good if the dwarf could lead them to the false Dragons and thus the chest. But how to do it? "But we can't just wait for something to happen either. They mustn't succeed in creating that sphere. Of course I also realize the potential danger any accomplished mage represents. But ignoring the possibility of the false Dragons meeting him will only make them more dangerous in the end." He pauses, considering what to say next.

"If the mage really is that powerful," he looks to Umfrey before continuing, "it might be necessary to just observe what he might do and send a message on with the caravan, asking for magical reinforcement."
Umfrey
 player, 92 posts
Tue 31 Mar 2009
at 12:16
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =

At Sigismund’s words Umfrey glanced around the camp. He didn’t see much magical back-up. He tugged nervously at his coppery beard ”even without his guards he’s still a powerful mage if he chose to stand his ground” the dwarf shook his head ”more likely if we tried to trap him alone he’d seek an escape. I don’t see any war-wizards travelling with the caravan to come rescue us either if he got the upper-hand. In fact I don’t see any mages” Umfrey awkwardly nudged his spell-tome into his backpack with the toe of his boot ”my advice would be to get to Tilverton as soon as possible and come back with a powerful wizard to confront him. Wizard business is best left to wizards.”

A little more shrewdly he held up a dirty finger as an idea struck him. He wagged the finger ”maybe no need to confront him if someone were just approach him and ask what he was doing here. Could prevent a needless battle if he isn’t involved.”
Ciara Tavares
 player, 155 posts
 Play for me
 minstrel play
Tue 31 Mar 2009
at 12:32
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
Ciara turns to Rath and sighs. "You're right. It's just what the heroes in the stories would do, I guess." She shrugs. "Don't feel much like a hero, though." But the way she looks over at Sigismund it is clear who she supposed could be acting like a hero.

Then she turns to Sigismund and listens to him an Umfrey talking about Savaric. Asking the sorcerer about his business? And who would volunteer for that?

This message was last edited by the player at 12:32, Tue 31 Mar 2009.

Durl Rockfist
 player, 104 posts
Tue 31 Mar 2009
at 15:44
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
Durl slipped his hand in his pocket before he spoke. "Me thinks that we should go after the false dragons. If we gets it back from them before the sorcerer, then we don't have ta worry about him."

"Let's not waste time."

Carlo
 player, 188 posts
Tue 31 Mar 2009
at 17:10
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
"Perhaps that is something I could do," Carlo says, almost inaudibly. "But perhaps Durl is right. Or maybe I could try to delay this sorceror while the rest of you go after the dragoons."

The priest looks almost green as he says this.
Sigismund Rider
 player, 102 posts
 Torm wills it!
Tue 31 Mar 2009
at 17:18
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
"The problem I see with locating the dragons is what I already pointed out yesterday evening: how will we do that? They could have turned off the road at any point of the way we already passed or they could still be ahead of us. Where do we start to search?" He studies Carlos, going over the possibility of confronting the mage in his mind. But before saying anything to that out loud, he wants to fully explore the issue of finding the false Dragons. "Of course finding them would be the best thing to happen. But unless any of you has a good answer to my questions, I don't see a great chance of success in a direct search."
Umfrey
 player, 93 posts
Tue 31 Mar 2009
at 19:53
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
”The only thing for certain about the false Purple Dragons is that they have Brimzanzle’s chest. If there was a way to track it down we would find the Dragons” Umfrey suggested ”we know it’s magical and unique, magic could be used to locate it”

The dwarf then moved on to discuss the issue of a meeting with Savaric “we still have some bargaining power if we encounter the thieves or Savaric on the road. We have Brimzanzle. It will save them a lot of time and effort if he cooperated with them. We could tell them we have to influence to make that happen.”
DM - Jeff
 GM, 381 posts
Wed 1 Apr 2009
at 00:41
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
    Brimzanzle doesn't hear much of the mornings conversation.  Though he has dark circles under his eyes and looks quite tired his spirits seem fairly high.  He is busy hustling back and forth between the other caravan members.  A few coin purses and goods changing hands as some stop by his wagon to unload crates under his supervision.

    Donuvan eyes the gnome with caution.  It seems Brimzanzle hasn't dealt with him yet.

    Even as the wagons start to fall in line he is making a few deals and doesn't even stop there.  Seems he has hired a young man to drive his wagon today, the son of one of the merchant  wagon owners, and has acquired himself a pony to ride on.  If anyone were to witness his purchase of the pony they would have noted that he had to pay much more than the beast was worth, there aren't many horses to spare.



OOC: The caravan is just prepping for departure not quite heading out yet so by all means continue your planning discussion.  I don't want to rush you at all, it can be hard for 6 players on a play by post game to come up with a consensus.  Just let me know when you are ready for me to move on and know that you are free to do whatever you see fit.
Aldo Rathmus
 player, 110 posts
 Human Fighter
Wed 1 Apr 2009
at 02:34
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
Rath snuffles and scratches an unshaven cheek and neck. He shifts his weight, then grunts. The young man appears seriously unhappy and, judging by his grimace, perhaps likely to vomit. He takes a deep breath and doesn't look anyone in the eye, instead keep watch on the surroundings with a shifty gaze. With no one but the immediate group in earshot, he mutters quietly, "I got an idea of where to find them, maybe."

He pauses, then realizes that statement won't stand on its own and that the others will expect some explanation. "There's a mining camp someplace past the border outpost, in Cormyr. Somebody's recruiting muscle, for something secret. Something big. Folks are meeting up there." He stares at his boots. "Disreputable folks."

Umfrey
 player, 94 posts
Wed 1 Apr 2009
at 07:48
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
”Them’s just the sort of folk worth investigating” Umfrey commented as he stood up and strapped his pack on. Whatever the result of the discussion Umfrey felt happier with the thought of being on the move, an added bonus as well was that if they kept going they could put some distance between themselves and Savaric.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:48, Wed 01 Apr 2009.

Carlo
 player, 192 posts
Wed 1 Apr 2009
at 11:20
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
Carlo can't help but stare hard at the young man. He seems excited. "That'd be...reachable today? Do you know anything else?"
Aldo Rathmus
 player, 111 posts
 Human Fighter
Wed 1 Apr 2009
at 13:20
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
Rath catches Carlo's excited stare and shakes his head. "Inside Cormyr. Three days, I'd guess. And, no, I don't know nothing else. But we play this right, I will. What that means is, we got to keep with the caravan." Rath looks around again, making sure there aren't the wrong ears in the vicinity. He hisses a whisper. "The new guards. The ones that picked up work at Dolganswash. They're going to break off somewhere past the border outpost." He gives a warning glare. "Don't let it slip you know a thing, or I'll miss my chance."
Ciara Tavares
 player, 157 posts
 Play for me
 minstrel play
Wed 1 Apr 2009
at 13:47
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
Ciara stands up and begins packing her things. This caravan has indeed bad luck with it's guards. She wonders if the thieves could be so bold as to disguise themselves and try to get hired by the caravan.
Carlo
 player, 194 posts
Wed 1 Apr 2009
at 14:24
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
Carlo does what he can to make his previous comments more mundane. "And you says it has powers of healing? Where I come from there is a spring such as this. Alas, the source dried up three years ago."
Durl Rockfist
 player, 105 posts
Fri 3 Apr 2009
at 19:16
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
Durl studied Aldo, "Alright. Then we stick with the caravan and give ye a chance. We just stick with the caravan for a few more days."
DM - Jeff
 GM, 384 posts
Fri 3 Apr 2009
at 21:24
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
    "So, when do we leave?"  Brimzanzle says to the group as he rides up on his pony, not having heard of the plans to stay with the caravan a bit longer.

    The wagons pull out and the conversation is forced to continue on the road.

--

   After a few hours it comes across the charred husks of three burnt wagons pulled off to the side of the road and the scattered and picked over remains of several humanoid bodies and horses.  Some small carrion feeding birds fly off as the wagons approach.  This place smells of death and decay, but with the crisp air and slight breeze it is bearable.

   The scene is very much like Aaron described it at the Inn.  Nearby is a ravine and off to the other side three piles of stones, the markings of a shallow hasty burial.  They haven't been disturbed yet, it seems the scavengers have had enough to feed on.  One is adult sized the other two are smaller, children perhaps ten to fifteen years of age by the size of the graves.

   A general tone of dread comes over the caravan members, most move by silently and avoid looking at the scene, a stark reminder of the dangers that may lurk ahead.  A few people stop and stare at the carnage for a moment or so before moving on.

  "Come on, keep it moving."  Donuvan's voice calls over the silence.  "This happened days before the soldiers were sent out, nothing to worry about."
Ciara Tavares
 player, 158 posts
 Play for me
 minstrel play
Fri 3 Apr 2009
at 21:39
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
Ciara turns towards the gnome, her tent on her shoulder. "As it seems we stay a day longer, waiting for a sign of the thieves, I guess. There's no clue where we could start searching right now." Knowing that it won't suffice for the gnome Ciara nods at Carlo. "His plan."

During the first miles Ciara walks, leading her horse by the reins. If Rath feels like talking she would ask him about some things about riding, especially staying in the saddle. His stunt the previous night has clearly impressed the young bard. And if Rath wants to mount and show some of his 'expertise' she won't object.

At the sight of the carnage however Ciara stops, making a quick sign against evil before proceeding. She murmurs a prayer to Jergal at the graves and then continues.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:09, Fri 03 Apr 2009.

Carlo
 player, 197 posts
Fri 3 Apr 2009
at 22:15
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
Faced with the dismal scene, Carlo shrouds his face and approaches the graves. There, he prays over the bodies and imagines the people who might once have occupied them. Eventually, once the last wagons of the caravan have passed, he leaves.
Umfrey
 player, 95 posts
Sat 4 Apr 2009
at 21:41
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =

Umfrey sniffed at the remains of the caravan. It was an unpleasant sight but not an uncommon one when orcs were involved. In this unsettled time the small dwarf was reassured by the presence of Carlo. The priest of Jergal reminded Umfrey of his home delving. It was good that the dead were respected and remembered.

Knowing what was behind them Umfrey made frequent glances over his shoulder to check the rear of the caravan as he travelled.
Aldo Rathmus
 player, 113 posts
 Human Fighter
Sat 4 Apr 2009
at 22:37
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
Once the decision is made to stay with the caravan, Rath sets himself to work getting the horses and gear ready to move. Although the task is not particularly onerous, he makes a show of scowling and dawdling and handling the gear more roughly than necessary, to support any impression that others may have that he is not happy in his position as Sigismund's lackey. It's an easy bluff -- Rath is in a dark mood.

---

Rath is glad for the distraction of conversation with Ciara. The young woman has a way of making him both awkward and comfortable at the same time. A lesson in horsemanship seems untimely, but it pulls Rath from his self-absorbed, sullen cloud for some time, at least until they reach the burned out wagons and hasty graves.

---

Rath frowns at the site of the graves. He slows his pace and even pauses momentarily, but he doesn't join in the prayers. "Great. More zombies for the sorcerer," he mutters grimly, before biting his tongue, realizing that the comment is a bit insensitive. He averts his eyes and continues on, keeping a sharp eye for signs left by Mikale that might show it wasn't a mistake to keep to this road.
DM - Jeff
 GM, 386 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2009
at 20:20
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
    The grim scene passes by, not forgotten but soon out of sight.  Within a few hours the members of the caravan seem to return to their normal behaviors.  The group is near the tail of the caravan as usual and it is rounding a gentle bend.  there is a gentle down slope to the right of the road and a rise of a small hill to the left.

    "Let's hope all of that is behind us."  Brimzanzle says riding his pony next to his wagon.
Umfrey
 player, 96 posts
Fri 10 Apr 2009
at 07:35
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =

”You hear that?” the dwarf turned to his companions, his finger pointing over the hill on the left ”we should check it out” Umfrey suggested. Umfrey didn’t know what to expect but the way things were going it would probably be trouble.

”Horses?” he questioned the others as he prepared to climb the rise to see what was approaching.
DM - Jeff
 GM, 388 posts
Fri 10 Apr 2009
at 19:44
Re: 011 = Tilver's Gap Part 2 =
Continued in:

        = Flight of the Purple Dragons =