012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =   Posted by DM - Jeff.Group: archive 0
Ciara Tavares
 player, 180 posts
 Play for me
 minstrel play
Wed 13 May 2009
at 20:13
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
Ciara nods to Rath and tries what he suggested - moving in the orcs back. She takes a deep breath and then tries to pierce the orcs leg with the point of her weapon.

Make 5-foot-step to Y11.
Attack hits AC 18 for 2 damage.

[Private to GM: Ciara Tavares rolled 18,2 using d20,d6. Att, dmg. Without taking flanking into account for the hit.]
DM - Jeff
 GM, 434 posts
Wed 13 May 2009
at 20:24
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
Ciara takes advantage of the high ground and the orc's flank, just as it turns to defend itself Ciara's rapier stabs through its armor and deep into its chest.

The guard near Carlo misses the orc as well, this one seems quite skilled.

The guard with the crossbow fires at the only remaining orc Archer, the bolt shatters off the tree.



OOC: Another quick update.  Ciara scores a Crit!
Orc E is now out of commission.


Initiative Order Round 9:
Ciara (rapier)
Orc E (falchion)  Dead/Dying
Caravan Guard A (longsword)
Caravan Guard B (crossbow empty)
Orc C Dead/Dying
< Current Time >
Sigismund (longsword)
Orc Horsemen A (falchion) Dead/Dying
Orc Horsemen B (falchion) Dead/Dying
Durl (waraxe)
Umfrey (crossbow empty)
Orc Archer F (shortbow) hit
Orc Archer G (shortbow) Dead/Dying
Orc Archer H hit
Orc Archer I (shortbow) Dead/Dying
Orc Archers Group 2 (6) (south)
Caravan Gaurd C (shortbow)
Rath (bastard sword)
Orc D (falchion)
Carlo (mace) [Private to Carlo:
*Bane* (-1 penalty on attack rolls and a -1 penalty on saving throws against fear effects. ) (8 rnd)
]
Purple Dragons
DM - Jeff
 GM, 435 posts
Wed 13 May 2009
at 20:47
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
OOC: Found the time

Combat Map
Sigismund Rider
 player, 114 posts
 Torm wills it!
Fri 15 May 2009
at 13:01
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
More than a little annoyed by his inability to keep Jisk in battle - or even turn him around now. With great effort he swallows his impatience and soothingly talks to his horse as he at least stops him from going any further away.

[Private to GM: Sigismund Rider rolled 18 using 1d20+6. Ride.]
DM - Jeff
 GM, 438 posts
Fri 15 May 2009
at 23:51
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
Jisk turns and approaches the top of the hill at Sigismunds coaxing but still seems reluctant to go much further.  He blows and stamps his feet and offers a snort of disapproval but remains relatively calm.

Durl charges along the hillside at the orc next to Carlo.  "Moradin's Might!" He cries almost unintelligibly as he brings his axe down on the beast nearly cleaving it's head in two.  "Ah, much better." He says hefting his axe with a grin.

Umfrey's shot is deflected by the trees and that orc takes a wild shot up the hill before turning in retreat gaining on the other orc who seems to be struggling with every step.  The guard with the bow takes a shot at them but it flies well over their heads.



OOC: I cleaned up the initiative list a bit, removing all the Dead/Dying entries.
[Private to Sigismund Rider: Since your last check was pretty good and the combat has pretty much died down the DC will be less for getting Jisk back on the field.  Either way he will probably be okay, but I might make the next check influence your Training roll in some way.]

Combat Map

Initiative Order Round 9:
Ciara (rapier)
Caravan Guard A (longsword)
Caravan Guard B (crossbow empty)
Sigismund (longsword)
Durl (waraxe)
Umfrey (crossbow empty)
Orc Archer F (shortbow) hit (retreating)
Orc Archer H hit (retreating)
Orc Archers Group 2 (6) (south)
Caravan Gaurd C (shortbow)
< Current Time >
Rath (bastard sword)
Carlo (mace) [Private to Carlo:
*Bane* (-1 penalty on attack rolls and a -1 penalty on saving throws against fear effects. ) (8 rnd)
]
Purple Dragons
Aldo Rathmus
 player, 132 posts
 Human Fighter
Sat 16 May 2009
at 06:09
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
While the enemy is distracted by Ciara's quick little blade, Rath lifts his heavy sword to strike, but he stays his hand as the orc drops his falchion and slumps to the bloody ground. Rath's expression changes rapidly: surprise -- he stares at the orc's wound with a raised brow; confusion -- his eyes dart from the orc's wound up to the bloody tip of the Ciara's rapier; grudging admiration -- for a fleeting moment, he locks stares with the bard and he shows her a hard, dark, fierce smile.

With a satisfied nod, he turns away, assessing the threats remaining on the battlefield. He strides back toward his dropped longbow, at a quick, lurching pace. The pain in his leg was hot and deep, but it didn't slow him down. He sheathes his sword as he goes, and reaches down to retrieve the bow.
Ciara Tavares
 player, 183 posts
 Play for me
 minstrel play
Sat 16 May 2009
at 06:22
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
The expression on Ciaras face is one of surprise, as the orc slumps down on the ground. She looks at Rath and shrugs slightly. Who would have thought that killing could be so easy? A cold shiver runs down her spine, then she turns away from the orc and takes a look around.
Umfrey
 player, 117 posts
Sat 16 May 2009
at 07:33
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =

As the nearby orcs were defeated Umfrey’s attention went southward. There were still orcs out there. As the orc archers near the tree line began to flee Umfrey loaded his crossbow and took a wild shot at their behinds. The dwarf didn’t expect that the battle was over yet, once the fleeing orcs reached the rest of their company their flight would be stalled.

”Beware there’s still plenty o' 'em orcs out there” he called as he stared down the hill.
Carlo
 player, 226 posts
Sat 16 May 2009
at 13:02
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
Carlo is surprised at Durl's brutal strike on the orc, but is also greatly relieved. He steps back a little, away from the trees, saying "There might be more in the trees. Watch out." He looks into the foliage for signs of movement.
Sigismund Rider
 player, 115 posts
 Torm wills it!
Mon 25 May 2009
at 14:57
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
Continuing to quietly talks to Jisk and a good deal less urgency, now that the sounds of combat seem to have all but died down, Sigismund finally manages to get Jisk back towards the others. He surveys his companions and the caravan guards, looking for obvious wounds. But at least the latter seem to have made it through the skirmish completely unharmed. Then he looks down at the field below where quite a few of the Dragons lie on the ground. "We have to go and see if any of the Dragons can still be saved.

[Private to GM: Sigismund Rider rolled 17 using 1d20+6. Ride.]
Umfrey
 player, 118 posts
Wed 27 May 2009
at 07:46
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =

”Aye, let’s take a look” the dwarf held his borrowed crossbow at the ready as he began to come down from the hill to follow Sigismund to where the fighting had been fiercest, the ground littered with the bodies of men, orcs and horses.
DM - Jeff
 GM, 445 posts
Thu 30 Jul 2009
at 00:56
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
    Hansen and the two other purple dragon soldiers advancing from the east move in on the line of orcs in the trees to the south, the orcs scatter as Hansen orders the two to follow them.  He rides in to the field of battle, orc and purple dragon soldiers litter the ground, the horses from the fallen men are battered and bloodied but remain nearby.

    The remaining orcs that fled the hillside are quickly dispatched up by the horsemen and there doesn't seem to be any more hiding in the trees.

    The sounds of battle subsided, Jisk now follows Sigismunds lead and does as commanded.  They ride down to the scene of the battle.

    The purple dragon soldiers are hardy men it seems, most of those encountered still seem to cling to life.

    "Quickly!"  One of the soldiers says,  "Each man should have a potion, help us administer them."

    Hansen has located the fallen commander, as he slowly pours a potion down his throat the man sputters and becomes conscious.



OOC: At long last.
Carlo
 player, 234 posts
Thu 30 Jul 2009
at 14:46
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
Stowing his mace and shield, Carlo runs for the prone soldiers, doing his best to administer potions to the most needy. He has to concentrate on stoping his hands from shaking as he goes.
Umfrey
 player, 121 posts
Thu 30 Jul 2009
at 15:52
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =

It was good to see the orcs routed and Umfrey continued his advance onto the litter filled battlefield. The dwarf had experience with orcs; he knew them to be pesky and tricky. As he went to aid those soldiers who still clung on to life he dealt swift blows with his sword to any orcs he passed. Better to make sure they were dead than have them try to throttle him as he searched through a soldier’s saddlebag to find a much needed potion.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:39, Thu 30 July 2009.

Aldo Rathmus
 player, 137 posts
 Human Fighter
Sun 2 Aug 2009
at 05:33
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
Despite the victory, Rath glares. With his bow in hand, he hobbles back to Ciara's side and walks with her among the wounded. Rath himself doesn't hurry to administer potions to the fallen Dragons, but he remains near the bard to offer her some protection in the likely event of further trouble.

[OOC: feeling a bit rusty, but now this is my only active game on RPOL, so I should be able to be fairly focused.]
DM - Jeff
 GM, 448 posts
Mon 3 Aug 2009
at 20:15
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
    Sigismund, with the aid of Jisk, is the first on the field and dismounts to help the fallen soldiers.  He is soon followed by the others.  Ciara is a bit jittery from the close encounter with the orcs, but Rath's presence seems to calm her nerves as she too helps with the potions.

    It takes time to administer the potions and in the end only two of the fourteen combatants met their end.  Most of the soldiers start to come too but two remain unconscious, their wounds more severe than the others.

    The sounds of battle in the southern trees subsides and the two soldiers that arrived with Hansen emerge from the treeline.

    The other caravan guards remain at the ridgeline, ensuring no orcs attempt to follow the caravan.  A few other curious guards and spectators eventually gather there as well.

    The commander surveys the battlefield then approaches the group.  "Was that signal from you?"  He asks.  "We couldn't see it was a box canyon.  I've never seen orcs so organized before.  We owe you a debt, for if not for that signal they would have had us surrounded."
Umfrey
 player, 124 posts
Tue 4 Aug 2009
at 16:49
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =

As the soldiers began to recover Umfrey stepped back and scratched at his unruly beard. The dwarf tugged at the coppery curls of hair self-consciously when the commander approached.

After his enquiry the dwarf muttered beneath his breath ”curse the damned sorcery” before he nodded his head in acknowledgment ”aye it were us that sent the warning, I’d have preferred if we’d sent a score of dwarven hammers but alas since they closed the mines here-a-bouts nary a score of dwarfs for miles, probably one o’ da reasons you’ve got such a problem with orcs” the small dwarf moaned and griped but was intrigued by the commander’s observation.

”Orcs can’s be tricky” he stated ”but if they be organised there’ll be a reason. What do you think is going on?”

This message was last edited by the player at 16:50, Tue 04 Aug 2009.

Aldo Rathmus
 player, 140 posts
 Human Fighter
Thu 6 Aug 2009
at 04:24
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
Rath was crouched low over a dead orc, relieving the fallen of a handful of fresh arrows to replenish his own supply. He examined each carefully for any flaws -- curvature of the wood, dullness of the tip -- and tossed aside any suspect missiles. As the Dragon commander approached, Rath stood, took a step back, and pretended to look elsewhere. Dragons still made him nervous.
DM - Jeff
 GM, 455 posts
Tue 11 Aug 2009
at 03:09
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
    "Aye that may be."  The commander says in reply to Umfrey mentioning that the Orc problem may be due to the lack of Dwarves in the area.  "But as of late, there have been lack of men as well.  Perhaps this was a feeble attempt at claiming this area as theirs.  I just hope there aren't more of them."

    "I found signs of an older camp, that which lead us here."  Hansen says.  "It had been abandoned for at least three days.  They must have been waiting here since that time."

    As Rath is replenishing his arrows he notices that the weapons these orcs wield are flimsy and hastily made.  The long spears are nothing more than sharpened sticks and the bows look like they would snap in half if pulled a bit too far.  The arrows, at least, seem effective enough as long as one doesn't plan to use them more than once.
Carlo
 player, 236 posts
Tue 11 Aug 2009
at 17:29
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
"Perhaps not so feeble," says Carlo says, surprised at the commander's contradictory comments.

Politely, he asks the unwounded men to help him deal with the dead, including the orcs. "We wouldn't want their ghosts to be haunting this spot, so we had best send their souls on their way." he explains.
Umfrey
 player, 126 posts
Tue 11 Aug 2009
at 19:46
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =

The small dwarf nodded at the commander of the men ”the caravan was attacked by goblins the night before” Umfrey sighed as he tugged at his tattered cloak and tried to make himself more presentable ”bad times” he complained but without the threat of the orcs he was acting slightly more relaxed until Carlo’s interruption. Talk of ghosts and spirits gave him the jitters.

”Let’s get on with it then” he answered morosely as he began the arduous task of gathering together the many corpses. As he dragged a dead man body by his boots for Carlo’s final blessing he called over to the commander ”so where’s this camp ye found then? Might be worth taking a look”.
DM - Jeff
 GM, 457 posts
Tue 11 Aug 2009
at 21:02
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
    "Even if we had fallen, they would need a larger force than this to hold the pass."  The commander says back to Carlo.  "The next time soldiers came through here they wouldn't be caught by surprise."

    "Don't worry yourself about the bodies, we will gather and burn them all."  A soldier says to Carlo.

    They have separated the two fallen men and laid them side to side, they will be taken back to the outpost with them.  Ciara kneels next to the dead soldiers and her voice quietly sings a sombre tune.  Between conversations a few verses can be overheard.

    ...

    For off they rode for chivalry
    To protect our lands from tyranny
    Their mothers child they no longer be
    and behind they left their family

    ...

    We lay them down for eternal sleep
    their mothers know not they should weep
    Selune's face will begin to wane
    before their kin will feel the pain

    ...


--

   "There is nothing left in that camp other than a few horse cascaras and the stench of orc."  Hansen says to Umfrey.

   "I did find this though, at the remains of that leathersmith's caravan."  He pulls out a scrap of cloth, the same color of his tabard.  "It was wedged in one of the spokes of a charred wagon wheel, it was definitely put there after the fires died."  He hands the cloth to Sigismund.  "I was going to take it and report it to Sir Evan, but considering your help here and that it may have something to do with the men you are looking for, I figure perhaps it is best in your hands."

   Sigismund unfolds the cloth and examines it.  "Aye, thank you, I believe this was meant for us.  It seems Mikale is keeping true to his word after all.  What think you Rath?"  He tosses the scrap to Rath.



This message was last edited by the GM at 00:07, Wed 12 Aug 2009.

Umfrey
 player, 127 posts
Wed 12 Aug 2009
at 09:06
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =

It was good to see the dead dealt with and it set Umfrey’s mind at ease. Ciara’s singing had a soothing effect. The dwarf smiled at the soun. At the revelation of the discovered note Umfrey grunted and crowded around Rath to get a look.

”Bah the manling's probably just hedging his bets, now when we catch ‘em he’ll squeal for mercy” it seems as quickly as his earlier good mood had taken him a worse black mood had usurped it now he had be reminded of their quest and the threat of Savaric. The dwarf shook his head and frowned ”where be the damned ruins?” he queried with an acid in his tongue. As he did so he removed the stopper of his water skin and gulped thirstily at its contents.
Aldo Rathmus
 player, 144 posts
 Human Fighter
Sat 15 Aug 2009
at 20:24
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
Rath grabbed the scrap and frowned sourly at it. He turned it in his hand and looked around from left to right, as if, despite the map's simplicity, he could not get his bearings. "Mikale might be on the level. Might be a trap." He shrugged and passed the scrap to Ciara. "I guess we follow the map and find what we find." His eyes made shifty contact with the dragon soldiers, pretty sure he didn't want to say much in their earshot.
DM - Jeff
 GM, 459 posts
Mon 17 Aug 2009
at 22:39
Re: 012 = Flight of the Purple Dragons =
    "The outpost the map shows is likely the border outpost on the other side of the gap."  Hansen says.  "I've seen those ruins, there is nothing there, but it is a common meeting place for smugglers and bandits.  It is on the patrol routes so nothing settles there long.  With a sharp eye you can see them from the road, just head south at the fork, about 10 miles after the outpost."

   The commander approaches Hansen.  "First Sword Hansen.  Take your men to the border outpost and report about the orcs.  Also, give Swordcaptain Stoan the names of those that helped us here, it will help them grant a charter if need be."

   "Aye Swordmajor." Hansen salutes the commander and calls for his men.

--

   "We should join back up with the caravan."  Sigismund says looking up at the men on the ridge.  "I don't think we are of much more use here.  Carlo?  Have you said your peace?"



OOC: Unless anyone has anything else they want to do I'll join you back up with the caravan.