013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =   Posted by DM - Jeff.Group: 0
DM - Jeff
 GM, 460 posts
Wed 19 Aug 2009
at 22:11
013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =
27th of Uktar, Year of the Turret - 1360 DR
[Evening]

    The caravan awaits the group from ahead, it takes about fifteen minutes to catch up to it.  They had increased their pace but slowed to a halt and took up defensive positions.  Brimzanzle was one of the group waiting at the top of the hill.  He seemed quite excited by the battle though he only saw the aftermath, he asked many questions and urged for the details.

    Ciara shows him the map on the purple cloth and that cheers him up even further.

    As the sky begins to darken on another day the caravan finds another suitible spot and starts to settle in for the night.

    The progress today seemed a bit better than the day before, Durl estimates you made at least another twelve miles today.



OOC:
Carlo, you have time to scribe a scroll if you want.  I have decided to change the rules slightly.  I found out that it is supposed to take a full day for every scroll, I don't like that though, I'm going to keep it the way I stated but make it a minimum of 1 hour of work, for setup and what not.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:16, Wed 19 Aug 2009.

Umfrey
 player, 128 posts
Thu 20 Aug 2009
at 15:29
Re: 013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =

Umfrey kicked at the ground as the Hansen provided them directions to the ruins. At least there was no talking of them being haunted by ghosts or spectres. ”Bandits and smugglers an apt description of Mikale and the rest of his companions” the small dwarf shrugged his shoulders as he began to trudge back toward the caravan. On the way he encountered Brimzanzle but was not in a communicative mood so waved the gnome away ”if you want me to spill the beans you’ll have to wet me tongue first” he proposed.

When the camp was settled for another night Umfrey again checked his pack to find his pot of pipe-weed empty. In an attempt to soothe his fancy he went to speak with the traders and merchants to see if he could refill his pot before he returned to sit around the fire with his companions.
Aldo Rathmus
 player, 146 posts
 Human Fighter
Sun 23 Aug 2009
at 15:43
Re: 013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =
As the caravan settles in for the night, Rath assists with the horses. He eats quickly, but the food doesn't settle well in his belly. Perhaps it is indigestion that puts the pained grimace on his face, or perhaps he's just in a more sullen mood than usual.
Durl Rockfist
 player, 110 posts
Sun 23 Aug 2009
at 23:10
Re: 013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =
Durl patted his mule once they made camp.

"Ye luck ta have a master like me, mule. Good thing we didn't ride into that ambush. Ye would have been cooked over an open pit otherwise."

The dwarf amused himself with his banter for a short while before he made his way to the far side of the fire pit. There he pulled out a few personal belongings and examined it.

After his evening meal, he stood up. "Me thinks of stretching me legs before I turn in."
DM - Jeff
 GM, 463 posts
Mon 24 Aug 2009
at 20:32
Re: 013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =
    Instead of wetting Umfrey's tongue Brimzanzle offers him some pipe-weed.   He has a small cask about half full of what he claims he obtained from some forest gnomes, all harvested from wild growing leafs.

    "Careful."  He says.  "It takes some getting used to."  He pulls a pipe from his pack, and casts a spell.    The bowl of his pipe looks well used but a bit neglected.  As Brimzanzle looks at it the dust and tobacco stains fade away, then leaf lifts up to fill his bowl.  He taps it and packs it down and then produces a flame from his fingertip to ignite it.

   "Light?"  he says to Umfrey after taking a deep pull from the pipe and offering his flaming finger to the dwarf.
Umfrey
 player, 129 posts
Wed 26 Aug 2009
at 16:17
Re: 013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =
The dwarf was grateful for the offer of some pipe-weed from Brimzanzle. He nodded his head quickly and his earlier foul mood was dispelled almost immediately. Umfrey took a pipe full of the wildleaf and when offered a light he pushed his pipe into his mouth and dipped his head forward to reach Brimzanzle’s flaming finger. Once he had his pipe lit he leaned back and inhaled. For a few moments he said nothing then exhaled the smoke slowly.

The wildleaf pipe-weed had a pleasing flavour and Umfrey savoured it was he relaxed. With a flick of his feet his shucked his boots and wriggled his toes ”now’s a better time to talk” he agreed, his pipe held steady in the crook of his lips by one hand ”you missed da sight o’ almighty battle, that ya definitely did. Meself had no small part in preventing the Dragon soldiers from being made fools of” he boasted with a twinkle in his eyes ”it started when I heard the sounds of horses. I climbed the hill to investigate. Strangest sight I found. Orcs on horses. Followed closely by the Dragon soldiers. It were a trap but the soldiers didn’t see it until I sent ‘em a message. Stopped their charge just in da nick of time. Then all hell broke loose” the small dwarf continued to puff at his pipe and seemed to enjoy his attempt at story telling ”there were soldiers an’ orcs all over the place. Them orcs might act all strong but when they knew they were beat they ran like craven fools” at the mentions of orcs Umfrey momentarily removed his pipe from his mouth to spit ”of more interest though was the message from Mikale that the soldier found on the burned out caravan. Seem he wanted to send us a message whether it be for good or ill”.
DM - Jeff
 GM, 465 posts
Fri 28 Aug 2009
at 22:48
Re: 013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =
    "Magic and battle."  Brimzanzle says, exhaling a puff of smoke.  "I never thought I would be caught up in such things."

    Ciara was playing a quiet tune on her flute then hands the scrap of cloth to Brimazanzle.

    Brimzanzle pulls out a map from a scroll tube and compares the two and smirks.  "My map doesn't show such a road, it's not one of the main trade routes.  We should reach the border outpost by midday, the day after next."  He consults a calendar.  "The twenty-ninth... Looks like we shall miss the Feast of the Moon[1] in Tilverton, that would have been a pleasure... though I doubt we would make it in time anyways."

    Carlo takes on the scene in silence, he is busy scribing a scroll.  After prepping the mixture of ink and praying over it, it glitters like silver in the firelight as he puts pen to paper in meticulous strokes.

   "Where has Rath gotten off too?" Sigismund says.  Usually the fighter is nearby but he must be off doing some errand, or patrolling.  "Rath said something about a mining camp, past the border outpost..." He says this in a quiet whisper.  "Mayhap that has something to do with that map, or at least the ruins might be on the way.  I have a good feeling about Mikale, he wants to help.  He could have left me on the road but he stopped to make sure I was okay."  He pauses for a moment, reflectively.  "My instincts told me not to let him go, but he was so compassionate to help his brother... I only hope it was the right choice."




1The Feast of the Moon is an annual festival in the Calendar of Harptos, occurring on the final night of Uktar. It is a time to celebrate and honor the dead, with people gathering to tell stories and legends.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:52, Fri 28 Aug 2009.

Durl Rockfist
 player, 111 posts
Sat 29 Aug 2009
at 03:39
Re: 013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =
"We donna't need to be in Tilverton ta celebrate." Durl called out to Brimzanzle. "Ye just need ta open a keg of ale. I can recite several accounts of me forefathers."

The dwarf caught Umfrey's eye and gave a nod. Durl shoved his fist into his pocket and turned away towards his tent.
Umfrey
 player, 130 posts
Sun 30 Aug 2009
at 08:30
Re: 013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =

The storytelling and pipe-weed had Umfrey in a merry mood. The talk of the Feast of the Moon; brought back memories of his upbringing in Dumathoin’s Gate. It was a holy place, a sacred ground dedicated to the dead. Did the Festival hold any connection with the Soul Sphere? Umfrey prayed it did not. With thoughts of his younger life Umfrey turned to look at Durl in time he spot his nod. The small dwarf grunted to Sigismund ”he’s over yonder” he removed his pipe temporarily to point in Rath’s general direction before he followed Durl to his tent. He looked over his shoulder at Brimzanzle as he walked to the tent”mighty fine pipe-weed” he offered his compliment as he took another puff.
Durl Rockfist
 player, 112 posts
Sun 30 Aug 2009
at 23:06
Re: 013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =
Durl smacked his lips. He wasn't in the mood for pipeweekd. "Now that ye gots in good with Brimzanzle. Ye should check if he'll open another keg."

"Dem poor horses are pulling a heavier load when we can lighten it up in one night."

Umfrey
 player, 131 posts
Sun 30 Aug 2009
at 23:36
Re: 013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =

Still with one eye on the others Umfrey leaned a little closer to Durl.
DM - Jeff
 GM, 469 posts
Mon 31 Aug 2009
at 01:49
Re: 013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =
    "That it is."  Brimzanzle says in response to Umfrey's comment on the pipe-wee.  The gnome makes sure Umfrey has enough to fill his pouch.

    "Don't be surprised if your dreams are a bit more intense than usual tonight."  He says with a wink.  "Speaking of, I'm going to get some sleep."  He starts collecting his things so he can retire in his wagon.

    The camp starts to settle in for the night.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:50, Mon 31 Aug 2009.

Umfrey
 player, 132 posts
Mon 31 Aug 2009
at 08:52
Re: 013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =
The dwarf was grateful to Brimzanzle. It could be seen from the dwarf’s threadbare appearance that he rarely had the pleasure of such an abundance of luxuries. It sure was good to be part of the caravan. A contrast to the dwarf’s lonely ramblings, he had previously scavenged what he could find or earned equally poor sustenance for unmentionable deeds. He’d even resorted to stealing on a few occasions. He had suffered bad times but with his new companions and his cousin Durl things could change.
Durl Rockfist
 player, 113 posts
Thu 3 Sep 2009
at 04:44
Re: 013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =
"Ye can share the tent with me." Durl offered.
He found himself asleep within minutes.
Aldo Rathmus
 player, 151 posts
 Human Fighter
Thu 3 Sep 2009
at 05:10
Re: 013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =
Rath, with a sour frown, stomps slowly across the campsite. Without real curiousity, he watches dwarves move into Durl's tent, then stops near Sigismund and Ciara. "Can't be real friendly with you now," he mutters. Rath shifts his weight from foot to foot, anxiously.
DM - Jeff
 GM, 470 posts
Thu 3 Sep 2009
at 06:48
Re: 013 = Tilver's Gap Part 3 =
    Sigismund gives Rath a nod and looks back in the direction he came from and keeps silent.

    Kastus stops by with the watch order and the group settles in.

    The night gets colder and colder but passes by without incident though just as the sky is starting to brighten a few glistening white specks fall from the sky.  Soon a few more, before long a light dusting of snow covers the frosty ground.  By the time the sun rises about a half of an inch has gathered.



28th of Uktar, Year of the Turret - 1360 DR
[Morning]

    "Going to be a rough winter."  Sigismund says as he packs up his tent.

    "I like the snow."  Ciara says looking to the sky letting the flakes hit her face and melt there.

    He gives her one of those looks that he does often when pondering the musings of the young, it is partially the look of one who knows better but mostly it is a yearning, a look that suggests... if I were only twenty years younger.

--

   The snow reaches to about an inch before the sun breaks through the cloud cover and starts melting it away.  By dusk it is all but gone, another day has passed and the caravan breaks down for the night once again.

   It is all too a familiar scene and another night passes quietly by.



OOC:  With Carlo's aid you can assume that you have all been healed of any injuries.  Also You are officially 2nd level.

Continued in:
                  = Border Outpost =