018 = Night Creeps =   Posted by DM - Jeff.Group: 0
Ciara Tavares
 player, 244 posts
 Play for me
 minstrel play
Sun 8 Jul 2012
at 06:30
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
Now that she can see the wight's red eyes Ciara takes a deep breath. "Gods, please help us", she murmurs.

Ciara straightens herself and relaods her crossbow. "We fear no evil, for the gods are with us. This creature can't prevail, it will be put to rest!"

OOC: In this case... starting to Inspire Courage (Perform, Oratory).

This message was last edited by the player at 20:05, Mon 09 July 2012.

DM - Jeff
 GM, 596 posts
Wed 11 Jul 2012
at 22:56
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
   Durl rushes in swinging his waraxe but the wight sidesteps, easily avoiding his and Sigismunds blows, the unanticipated motion leads Raths arrow stray.  It continues to ignore Umfreys attempt to ward it off But Carlo's touch seems to affect it, it moves closer to him and lashes out in retaliation [Atk 18 Damage 3] It's icy hands raking across the cleric.
   Brimzanzle holds his position near the fire his spirits lifting slightly by the encouragement of Ciara's song.



OOC: Carlo, Fort save and 3 Damage.
Rath, it's position now makes your shot a bit more difficult 50% miss chance since you are shooting through 2 squares of mist, it's like full concealment unless you shoot through your companions but that gives him soft cover.


Combat Map

Initiative Order Round 4
Sigismund
* Inspire Courage * (round 1)
Ciara
Rath
Wight <staggered>
< Current Time >
Durl
Carlo
Umfrey
Brimzanzle
Umfrey
 player, 187 posts
 Dwarven Drunkard
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 10:30
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
The swirling mist obscuring Umfrey’s view of the battle and his last energies used to try and fend off the wight the small dwarf was trapped in a corner. When he saw the wight strike out and hit Carlo he knew inaction would be his undoing if he remained. His loaded crossbow in one hand Umfrey drew his short in the other and ran across the ruins.

OOC Standard Action: Draw shortsword
Move Action: Move to I9

Carlo
 player, 268 posts
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 13:45
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
Carlo's breath leaves his body and doesn't return. He decides there is nothing for it but to launch himself at the vile creature and bring it rest.

OOC: 10:43, Today: Carlo rolled 6 using 1d20+5. Fort. Ah FFS. Level drained in two games.
10:45, Today: Carlo rolled 5 using 1d20. Touch atk Gentle rest. Great.

Durl Rockfist
 player, 168 posts
Thu 12 Jul 2012
at 15:13
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
Durl saw his companions fall back before the wright. He held his waraxe in a double-hand grip and charged. "Back to the grave with ye!"



Move: to G12
Standard: 7,12 using 1d20+6,1d10+5. ATK/DAM w/waraxe 2 handed

Aldo Rathmus
 player, 211 posts
 Human Fighter
Fri 13 Jul 2012
at 04:13
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
Rath scrambles to get a clear shot, relying, like the fool he is, on luck, which has never served him well.

Move to I-14, shoot arrow, fail the miss chance due to concealment. We all have to do better next round, right?

Ciara Tavares
 player, 247 posts
 Play for me
 minstrel play
Sun 15 Jul 2012
at 06:11
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
"Back with you, creature! You have no right to exist and you know it!"

Ciara moves closer to the creature and tries to get a clear view at it for a second.

Move to G10.
Try a shot at the creature without hurting my friends...
Ciara Tavares rolled 5 using 1d20+4. attack wight. Grrr!

DM - Jeff
 GM, 598 posts
Fri 20 Jul 2012
at 09:31
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
    The icy clutch of the Wight against Carlo's skin literally drains him of life energy.
    Durl swings again and misses, he gets a full breath of the vile mist though it doesn't have the same effect as it did on him before it seems to make every action laborsome.  Carlo's next attack is in-effective.

    Rath and Ciara's shots miss but Sigismund presses on with the attack, his greatsword cutting a deep wound through the tattered purple tabbard covering the creatures chest.  The wight gasps, lashing back at the paladin without success while backing further into the mist which appears to be dissipating slightly.



OOC:
Carlo gets a negative level.
Durl is Fatigued.
I added the inspire courage bonus after the fact on Sigismunds rolls.
Ciara did you intend to keep the inspire courage going as a free action?


Combat Map

Initiative Order Round 5
Sigismund
* Inspire Courage * (round 2)
Ciara
Rath
Wight (staggered)
< Current Time >
Durl (fatigued)
Carlo
Umfrey
Brimzanzle

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:33, Fri 20 July 2012.

Umfrey
 player, 188 posts
 Dwarven Drunkard
Fri 20 Jul 2012
at 22:09
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
As a final gamble Umfrey knew they had to surround and all strike at the wight if it was not to kill them all and make them its thralls. The dwarf rushed forward as he shot with his crossbow and had his sword ready in his other hand.

“Attack it” he called as a rallying cry.

OOC
Move Action: Move to H12
Standard Action: Shoot crossbow, hit AC 17 for 2 damage. That’s AC18 and 3 damage if Ciara’s Inspire Courage is still active.
23:00, Today: Umfrey rolled 28 using 1d100. 20% miss chance due to mist?
22:58, Today: Umfrey rolled 2 using 1d4. Crossbow damage.
22:58, Today: Umfrey rolled 17 using 1d20+2. Crossbow shot at wight.

Aldo Rathmus
 player, 212 posts
 Human Fighter
Mon 23 Jul 2012
at 03:28
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
Rath grabs another arrow and pulls it back quick and hard. "I'm attacking! I'm attacking!" he shouts angrily at Umfrey. Anger, of course, masks his fear. He lets fly the arrow, true and strong.


OOC:
Hits AC25 for 12 damage.
20:24, Today: Aldo Rathmus rolled 12 using 1d8+4. arrow damage, inspired, point blank.
20:23, Today: Aldo Rathmus rolled 25 using 1d20+6. bow, point blank, inspired.
20:22, Today: Aldo Rathmus rolled 90 using 1d100. miss chance.

DM - Jeff
 GM, 599 posts
Tue 24 Jul 2012
at 09:25
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
   The group moves in on the wight who appears to be taking in another deep breath, reading to belch out another burst of the vile mist.  Sigismunds sword clashes again, bolts and arrow fly into the mist.  It clears and the grotesque figure in the purple tabbard slumps to the ground an arrow through its neck.  "You will fail."  it says in a fading whisper and goes silent as the mist disipates.

   Sigismund steps closer, "Ciara, some light."  He calls then gasps.  "By the Gods... it's... it's Mikale."

   Sure enough, though his face is withered and contorted it is indeed Mikale, one of the false Purple Dragon Soldiers, the one that was leaving a trail for the group to find on scraps of a Purple Dragon Tabbard, very well pieces of the same tabbard he now wears.



OOC: End of Combat.
Umfrey
 player, 189 posts
 Dwarven Drunkard
Tue 24 Jul 2012
at 10:41
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
The final defeat of the wight elicited a hrumph from Umfrey as he sheathed his sword and put down his crossbow. Then rubbing tired eyes he approached the corpse “aye that’s Mikale” he agreed “we should lay him to rest” the small dwarf gave Carlo a pointed look, expecting his agreement.

“Someone wants us dead” Umfrey reflected on Mikale’s last words “I’d say we have two choices if we want to survive. Find them first or hide” the dwarf offered as he rubbed his scruffy beard.
Carlo
 player, 270 posts
Tue 24 Jul 2012
at 13:35
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
"Poor man," says Carlo breathlessly. "But at least we can now give him a proper burial. I will need to pray over his body. In the morning we can dig him a grave."

The priest gets to work arranging Mikale's body.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:35, Tue 24 July 2012.

Ciara Tavares
 player, 249 posts
 Play for me
 minstrel play
Tue 24 Jul 2012
at 16:06
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
As the wight finally slumps down on the ground Ciara sighs with relief. Taking the sunrod she steps closer to the lifeless body on the ground and makes a hasty step back when she realizes that Sigismund is right.

"He... I thought..." The young bard takes a deep breath, slumps her shoulders and shakes her head. "I'm sorry. I mean, he didn't deserve this." The gesture Ciara makes includes the body, the campsite, maybe even the mine.

Then Ciara turns to Umfrey. "Someone noticed that Mikale was helping us, I guess. And I guess we came too close to something we shouldn't see." Ciara rubs her eyes.

"Carlo, if you need any help now, I'd be glad to... do something for him."
Umfrey
 player, 190 posts
 Dwarven Drunkard
Tue 24 Jul 2012
at 17:07
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
“Whoever they are they are dangerous if their servants be wights” Umfrey “did Mikale say he was working under orders from his brother Neddy who was turning pale and ghost like? I sense wherever the Soul Sphere is going there’ll be more undead”.
Aldo Rathmus
 player, 213 posts
 Human Fighter
Wed 25 Jul 2012
at 22:37
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
Rath looks sick. He shoulders his bow and draws his sword in a two-handed grip, keeping the long blade extended between himself and the dead thing. Twitch, he thinks. Just one twitch. I dare you.
Carlo
 player, 271 posts
Wed 25 Jul 2012
at 23:52
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
Noticing everyone crowding around Mikale's body, Carlo looks up.

"This will take a while. We mustn't forget to be vigilant." he nods towards the route that Mikale had used to enter.
Aldo Rathmus
 player, 214 posts
 Human Fighter
Thu 26 Jul 2012
at 00:21
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
Rath spins around, peering into the dark. "On it," he says. Wary, he makes his way to his pile of gear, shifts his sword to one hand, and roots around in his pack. He grabs a sunrod and his buckler, strapping the small shield to his arm with all due haste, cracks the sunrod against a rock to activate it, tromps over to the point of entry, and tosses the sunrod about 30' out into the dark. Then, he withdraws into the shadows within the ring of stone, and watches for the next monstrosity to emerge from the night. It beats digging graves.
Durl Rockfist
 player, 169 posts
Thu 26 Jul 2012
at 04:47
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
Durl examined the corpse closely. He checked to see if anything foreign was on the body. "How does he become a wright?" The dwarf looked up and asked the others, "This be some strong and powerful magicks we're dealing with."
Carlo
 player, 272 posts
Thu 26 Jul 2012
at 12:12
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
By now, Carlo has a damp rag and is tenderly wiping the grime away from Mikale's face. "Sad to say, Durl, but one of these unhappy creatures begets another. Their touch alone is enough to draw the life essence from a mortal and, within a short time, render him one of the living dead. No doubt he was alone when he was beset upon, and succumbed."
Umfrey
 player, 191 posts
 Dwarven Drunkard
Thu 26 Jul 2012
at 12:26
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
When Durl asked his question Umfrey shook his beard and answered “Carlo speak true cousin Durl” he kicked at the ground “most common anyone slain by a wight becomes the spawn of its killer. I’ve also ‘eard tell of binding evil spirits to dead bodies or that violent death may create such monsters though. I suspect in the case of Matz and Mikale that they were turned by another wight who killed them”.
DM - Jeff
 GM, 601 posts
Fri 3 Aug 2012
at 07:26
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
    Examining the body Durl notices a message charred into the purple tabbard.
"Turn Back or Die"

    Carlo wipes down Mikale's face, clearing away the grime, gore and ooze, and the man starts to look a bit more like himself.  A dark mist rolls out from his shirt, pulling it back reveals a wound from a small blade at the base of Mikale's sternum which the mist escapes from and dissipates into the air.  The wound appears premortem. 

    "His death is on me."  Sigismund says solemnly.  "I shouldn't have let him go that night."

    "You couldn't have known what would happen."  Brimzanzle speaks up, but doesn't seem to know what else to say so just stands by the Paladan's side and pats his legging in consolation.

   Rath checks the perimeter but all is quiet for the time being.
Ciara Tavares
 player, 251 posts
 Play for me
 minstrel play
Sat 4 Aug 2012
at 06:38
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
Relieved that Rath takes over the watch Ciara nods at him with a short smile. Listening to the conversation the young bard walks up and down in the broken down tower, stopping every now and then to glance over at what Carlo is doing.

When Sigismund speaks up Ciara stops again and looks at the paladin. "Brimzanzle is right. None of us could have known what would happen. You did your best to help him, Sigismund, but it was not your duty to keep him from going. He was trying to help his brother!" Ciara steps closer to the body on the ground. "He led us here. Something is here, something we are not supposed to see."

Turning to Carlo she asks: "What can be done against the touch of a wight? If it has drawn... life essence from someone?"
Durl Rockfist
 player, 170 posts
Sun 5 Aug 2012
at 03:52
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
Durl passed the note to the others, "Seems that we're on the right trail. If that's anything. Whoever wrote the note must be worried that we'll find him if he's trying to scare us off."

The dwarf checked his waraxe for nicks, "Let's try to get some sleep. Then plan our next move."
Umfrey
 player, 193 posts
 Dwarven Drunkard
Mon 6 Aug 2012
at 07:57
Re: 018 = Night Creeps =
The night was growing smaller and Umfrey still felt awful. He wished he could sleep but doubt he would rest. The dwarf sat on the ground his head on his knees. He shook his head as Ciara’s question to Carlo “if only I knew. I feel like I’ve aged a hundred years in one night” he complained, in fact his skin did appear paler and older. In an effort to regain some semblance of feeling the dwarf gulped at his waterskin.