Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration.   Posted by Gatekeeper.Group: archive 1
Peleps Dashu
 player, 314 posts
 Night Caste Solar
 Criminal Investigator
Mon 3 Aug 2009
at 19:26
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
After brandishing his claws, Dashu's anima flares into the now familiar hawk diving at it's prey.  Then Dashu begins cutting.  In a blur of black jade, Dashu's claws lash out at the nearest student, swiping at his face, trying to coral him to the edge of the balcony.  A second time, Dashu swings his nimble claws at the young student.  Finally, Dashu brings his claws to bear in a mighty upper cut trying to force the student off the balcony and make him fall unceremoniously onto the ground below.

[Private to GM:

Activating combo and adding 4 sux to each attack

Peleps Dashu rolled 4 successes using 10d10 with ... rolls of 6,9,7,3,1,4,5,7,5,7. Attack 1.
Peleps Dashu rolled 4 successes using 9d10 with ... rolls of 3,10,6,9,8,2,3,2,3. Attack 2.
Peleps Dashu rolled 1 success using 8d10 with ... rolls of 6,2,2,6,2,2,9,3. Attack 3.

Attack 1: 8 sux
Attack 2: 8 sux
Attack 3: 5 sux
Claw Dmg: 6L
Str: 2

Dodge DV: 8
Parry DV: 3 (7 w/ excellency)

 
]

This message was last edited by the player at 19:32, Mon 03 Aug 2009.

Gatekeeper
 GM, 1240 posts
 Exalted Storyteller
 Five Coils Artificer
Tue 4 Aug 2009
at 16:22
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
The senior monk easily pushes Third's sword strike aside, the goremaul shoving back with such force that any ordinary weapon might have snapped. Fortunately, Third wields jade, and it does little more than force its arm back uncomfortably. [Private to Third Beneficiary of Orderly Knowledge: A friendly +1 here though it doesn't really help. However, with Speed 3 you can act again at tick 40. Since I'm intending to end this battle, though, you can instead use that as an extra opportunity to hit the monks as they retreat.]

Standing together now, Seven Coals -- severely wounded as he is -- and the unnamed Earth Immaculate are nigh untouchable. Together, the two of them continue to retreat toward their Master. (OOC: -5 dice to hit the Fire Monk. -3 dice to hit the Earth monk.)

Dashu makes quick work of the student he targets. The young monk-in-training attempts to leap aside, but not even the power of his bracers are enough to keep the Night Caste from pressing the attack. His dragon claws rake across the student's face, cutting open the cheek into three wide ribbons, then slash across the chest, digging through the shoulder and collarbone before partially deflected by his armor. Amidst a spray of blood the uppercut drives through the chest and up toward the chin, and the unfortunate target falls from the balcony with a meaty thud on the ground. [Private to Peleps Dashu: gave you a +1.]

The remaining student gulps, glancing at his instructor, who glares and stands his ground in front of Dashu. Rather than retreat, his body ignites with an anima display like vines spiraling up from his feet, as his limbs and body begins to sway in a sinuous, hypnotic kata. Dashu finds himself oddly transfixed by these motions... [Private to Peleps Dashu: The monk is using a charm to distract you (presumably as part of their imminent retreat; after all, you did just shrug off one of their best concentrated attacks like it was nothing). 8 successes versus your Dodge MDV. You need to stunt to overcome the Charm and act, otherwise you will be inactive and hypnotized.]

Another powerful crash heralds the arrival of the Blue Stripes, as the tunnel is completely demolished behind them. The five giant blue-painted sentinel units assess the situation and move immediately to assist Danae, whom they consider the most at risk, unless otherwise ordered. They cross the compound in wide strides, their footprints leaving visible depressions on the ground, the earth shuddering minutely with their passing.
Gatekeeper
 GM, 1241 posts
 Exalted Storyteller
 Five Coils Artificer
Tue 4 Aug 2009
at 16:23
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
At the rear end of the compound, Stern Firmament wrenches Danae's weapon from her hand as Dena, still maneuvering around him, looks on. Impeccable Spark falls four yards away, to the side and slightly behind the master monk. "You cannot hope to defeat the Masters of the Inner Temple in at your level of skill," he says gravely. It is not a taunt, for Firmament is not so petty. Simply an assessment.

"Even with your insect allies, your great machines. They may earn you a respite, but not a victory. We will be ready for you, should you choose to pursue this to its logical end. For we fight not for simple pride, but for the preservation of our future and all we have built." Joined by Seven Coals and the other senior monk, Firmament leaves Danae in her weaponless state and starts to withdraw toward the rear doors, where Evamae, the Rubies and Water Monks continue to fight. Seeing their master pulling back, the Water Monks begin to fight defensively, occupying the Rubies with their scythe-like forearms and acid spittle so that the the other monks can move safely toward the doors. One can only guess the interior of the Temple lies beyond them.



OOC: As previously mentioned this battle is coming to an end. All of you (except Dashu who has to contend with the hypnosis) can take one action before they retreat completely, if you want. This can be a physical action or a social action. I'll only continue the tick count if I see the majority of you are wanting to stop their retreat.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:48, Tue 04 Aug 2009.

Third Beneficiary of Orderly Knowledge
 player, 255 posts
Tue 4 Aug 2009
at 16:43
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
Third stands. As it stands, it will be meaningless to strike- Third knows where its strengths lie. "You know, it doesn't have to be this way. You are Exalted, same as us. You may have forgotten why you are who you are, but we don't have to be killing each other. We could work together, trust each other, without those slave collars that you use to turn us into machines." It moves smoothly, sheathing its sword. "But we'll rise to the occasions you throw against us. If you keep pressing down on us, you'll lose everything you hold dear." An ethereal smile plays across its face. "But then, we each have the freedom to choose what we wish do do. We're Exalted. We make our own fate. But you're not going to be able to win if you constrain yourselves so." It smiles, and waits for them to leave, get out of sight, before it falls backwards smoothly, lying flat on its back, hitting the ground with a rather sad, soft sound. The Solar has not been injured, but the damage done by Eye's energy surging through it leave it drained, to say the least. "That could have gone better. But it could have gone much, much worse." it says softly.
Peleps Dashu
 player, 315 posts
 Night Caste Solar
 Criminal Investigator
Wed 5 Aug 2009
at 15:40
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
Dashu was momentarily mesmerized by the intertwining vines.  As he felt himself slowly being distracted, a voice in the back of his head told him to focus.  The Nightbringer slowly raised his arms and looked at the black jade that encased his hands.  He focused on the almost endlessly deep blackness it portrayed.  Yet even in that sea of blackness he saw the harmonic adapter Danae forged for him.  In many ways, he wore the symbol of who he was on his hands.   In the endless blackness, there was still light, still hope, still a way to find freedom.  These thoughts calmed his mind and with surge forward he tried to push the images of the hypnotic vines from his mind and focus on the dragon behind them.

[Private to GM:

Trying to stunt and channeling temperance to aid the stunt.

Peleps Dashu rolled 2 successes using 3d10 with ... rolls of 3,7,9. channel Temperance.
]
Tervila Dena
 player, 275 posts
 Full Moon Lunar
 Messenger
Wed 5 Aug 2009
at 15:53
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
Seeing Danae lose her weapon, Dena moves to hover nearby, providing cover from ranged attacks so that Danae can safely retrieve the weapon.
Gatekeeper
 GM, 1250 posts
 Exalted Storyteller
 Five Coils Artificer
Thu 6 Aug 2009
at 05:42
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
Dashu does manage to fight off the hypnotic effect, focusing on his identity and purpose, refusing to be distsracted. What happens from there depends on whether he will pursue the monk and student now retreating from the balcony, or allows them to go.

"If it were possible we could work together, if the Anathema were not truly destroyers, we would never have had to flee in the first place. There would never have been a need for our Dynasty to be." Firmament does not take the opportunity to strike at Danae or Dena, protecting her. Neither does the Fire and Earth monk accompanying him, Seven Coals' burning aura leaping with renewed intensity as the master monk comes within range of its protection.

Evamae and the Rubies hesitate to pursue the Water Monks that (after trading several more blows, neither side showing a significant advantage) fall back to the rear compound doors, following their superiors. "Creators, I assume we are standing down?" The Blue Stripes continue on though, until they join Dena in flanking Danae, awaiting their next commands now that the monks are not immediately threatening their master.

All in all, before routing the Garrison monks, the Celestials managed to take out 2 Earth monks, 7 Earth students, 1 Wood student. Their equipment is available for the taking, and a rest period may be used to regain motes and secure the area before moving on.

Weapons:
1 perfect longbow
4 white jade goremauls
1 white jade grand goremaul

Armor:
7 exceptional earth-enchanted breastplates
1 green jade breastplate
2 white jade reinforced breastplates

Misc:
1 white jade hearthstone amulet w/unknown hearthstone
4 stone-hand gloves (minor artifact, enhances unarmed MA)
2 jade hearthstone bracers (white w/unknown hearthstone, green w/empty socket)
Danae Adela
 player, 249 posts
Thu 6 Aug 2009
at 08:56
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
Danae paused for a moment, then nodded, collecting Impeccable Spark, and sheathing the blade once more.  "Stand down, we've won our way in, there's no sense pushing the battle to exhaustion if they're going to retreat..."  She put up a moderately strong front as the Terrestrials continued to back out, but once they had fully withdrawn, she fell back a bit to slump against one of the columns.

"Okay, I guess that ultimately worked out well, we've bypassed most of their garrison, and bloodied their better fighters...  Of course, I'm almost out of essence, and I'm feeling 'Very' lightheaded right now.  I won't be good for another pitched fight like that without at least a little bit of time to rest...  And they did get one decent hit in--I should be fine for weaker foes..."  She winced as one of teh cracked ribs decided to protest that statement.  "---But yeah...  Unless someone here has high speed medical magics, I'm going to have to take it a bit easier from here on out."
Peleps Dashu
 player, 316 posts
 Night Caste Solar
 Criminal Investigator
Thu 6 Aug 2009
at 15:29
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
Dashu decides to stand down, letting the monks retreat.  He didn't like them or anything they stood for, but he wasn't a particularly bloodthirsty person.  He killed out of necessity.  Picking off a few monks when they were running away held no appeal for him.  He nimbly lept down from the balcony with a double front flip and then made his way over to Danae and Dena.  "We could all use a little rest."
Tervila Dena
 player, 276 posts
 Full Moon Lunar
 Messenger
Thu 6 Aug 2009
at 17:37
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
"Yes, please wait a moment, Princess." Dena answers Evamae.  "If you could, please communicate with the Ruby Army and see what's happening in the out temple."

While Evamae is doing that, Dena turns to the others.  "I have a few reserves still, but not enough for another lengthy battle." she admits, sinking to the floor and resting her wings a moment.  "However I'm not sure a lengthy rest is called for, I know I also depleted the reserves of the monks I fought, if we wait they will also have time to recharge, rearm, and prepare themselves.  They may even call up reinforcements from the Fire District."
Third Beneficiary of Orderly Knowledge
 player, 258 posts
Thu 6 Aug 2009
at 22:15
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
Third ponders a moment. "Dena is right to worry about the potential for them to recharge. However, we have inflicted rather more significant damage to them, than they have to us. If we merely take the time to rest until we have fully respired, then it should not affect our ultimate goal too badly. Perhaps we may want to find a more hidden place to do it, but nonetheless." Third's mind wanders across the lessons of this battle smoothly, thinking to itself of what has been learned...
Tervila Dena
 player, 277 posts
 Full Moon Lunar
 Messenger
Thu 6 Aug 2009
at 22:39
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
"I can remove the gate from it's hinges, or simply jam that one at the other end if anybody feels it's needed." Dena suggests.  "How did you fare outside Third?  Are there any monks or students there left?"
Third Beneficiary of Orderly Knowledge
 player, 259 posts
Fri 7 Aug 2009
at 01:48
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
"Third is afraid there are likely a number of monks still there. Third did not inflict heavy casualties." Third speaks softly, as it slowly sits up, pushing itself through that strong desire to lay down and sleep, and let its body repair itself. Its speech patterns have become somewhat broken again- A side-effect of the momentary exhaustion forced by Shining Eye's channeling. "Third apologizes. Third and you may need to move on to find a safe place to hide before continuing the push up the center." It looks towards the two. "Are you... in need of some comfort? Third is not specialized, but Third can still offer some level of relief through medical ability." the Solar isn't terribly experienced with Compassion, but it's doing its best to show it to the two who seem to have had a rough fight.
Gatekeeper
 GM, 1253 posts
 Exalted Storyteller
 Five Coils Artificer
Fri 7 Aug 2009
at 03:08
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
Evamae, after calming the Ruby Guardians in her direct command, bows her head to Dena's suggestion. "Of course. I can attempt to discover their progress."

She is quiet for a time, communing in her own way through the insect hive-mind, and what the sensations of the earth beneath may tell of the passing of her brethren. When the Hive Princess moves again, she awaits the next opportunity to speak, not inclined to interrupt the discussions of the Creators.

When the chance arises, Evamae says, "They are successful, though they have incurred some casualties. They are still over one-hundred strong. They are moving into the temple itself... however... it is difficult for me to sense more than that, through the ancient metal." Another pause, her antennae shifting listlessly. "It seems a good amount of the monks have retreated, even from the Western Shrine. if they are not waiting inside the bottom floor, then I would assume they are fleeing upward."

"I also agree we should rest for a time. They may well gather stronger warriors like the one called Stern Firmament in the meantime. But all the same we will also be more prepared. Shall I have the Army attempt to breach the Temple from the West?"

[Private to Third Beneficiary of Orderly Knowledge: Just to refresh your memory about the outer compound... You remember something like 20-25 students (they were fighting completely unarmed, so they may not even be Exalted, just mortal students), a senior Water monk (Seven Coals' twin), 6-8 Wood monks (you aren't sure which are students or not, but you are reasonably sure the two that shot at you while you were running probably depleted themselves a great deal), and a heavily wounded Earth monk (one of the two guarding the gate that managed to survive getting WHACKED by a Blue Stripe.)]
Tervila Dena
 player, 278 posts
 Full Moon Lunar
 Messenger
Fri 7 Aug 2009
at 15:59
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
"I'll be using the pain for power once combat starts again." Dena objects as Third suggests healing.  "If anything I was contemplating asking one of you to beat me so I could get power back faster.  But I think it might be too creepy as well.  I'm. . . uncertain where to take this martial art I learned from the Stone of Pain.  It's served me well but it feels foreign to my essence as well.  Perhaps I could have done better in this battle if I instead used a more Lunar method of combat, and used claws and teeth instead of this weapon." she suggests, examining the carved jade handle of the essence lash.

Dena listens to Evamae and considers the tactical situation a moment.  "I think continuing to put pressure on them with the Rubies is a good idea.  If they keep up the assault the Terrestrials won't have time to rest as we are."
Peleps Dashu
 player, 317 posts
 Night Caste Solar
 Criminal Investigator
Fri 7 Aug 2009
at 16:56
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
"To echo Third, we merely drew out the other monks on the outside to make your job easier in here.  Rest would be good.  I think my bruises will heal well enough to where you don't need to worry about them though, Third.  Do me a favor though.  Next time I want to swan dive off a building, remind me not to."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:38, Fri 07 Aug 2009.

Gatekeeper
 GM, 1254 posts
 Exalted Storyteller
 Five Coils Artificer
Fri 7 Aug 2009
at 18:35
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
Evamae nods, and again goes silent briefly as the command is sent. Ideally, the insects' advance should clear the way for them to enter the Inner Temple safely.

So far it does not seem any of the outside forces are attempting to break in. On the other hand, they must know very well where they are.

In any case the only real choices are to rest where they are (the Blue Stripes need no rest yet, so can easily stand guard, block the gates, etc), or try to find a place inside the temple to rest. Should any of the Exalts wish to explore the temple, though, they will need to deal with the doors leading further in, which the monks have locked and barricaded. Again the sentinels, or perhaps the insects can help with this.
Third Beneficiary of Orderly Knowledge
 player, 260 posts
Sat 8 Aug 2009
at 07:11
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
Third nods, looking around. "If we move in, we are no longer a known quantity. We can also reduce the avenues of attack on us. Third suggests we move in." For the moment, it remains terse, and moves to one of the doors, studying them, breathing in. Trying to search its memories for any rooms they can go to nearby that will offer them some level of sanctuary.

OOC: I'm all in favor of us seeing if we can end up meeting the other group before we rest, it'll lower everyone's odds of wanting to fight IC. ;)
Tervila Dena
 player, 279 posts
 Full Moon Lunar
 Messenger
Sat 8 Aug 2009
at 14:32
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
"We should probably gather up this jade before we go, and send it back as we did the Power Armor." Dena suggests, picking up a pair of hearthstone bracers.  She unlatches one so that the severed arm inside falls to the ground with a meaty splat.  She eyes the hearthstone inside a moment.  "And when this is over let's make a note to find all the manses on this level and attune them to ourselves, that should get enough essence flowing that we won't have to worry about running out so easily."
Gatekeeper
 GM, 1264 posts
 Exalted Storyteller
 Five Coils Artificer
Sun 9 Aug 2009
at 09:52
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
The group decides to move in sooner than later, and rest fully once inside. Nonetheless, it does still take some time for the Blue Stripes and Rubies to coordinate some method to bypass the doors. They are fortunately not as difficult to surmount, mostly due to the fact the Garrison was erected specifically to guard them. Other entrances have other means, Evamae explains; the eastern side is protected by labyrinthine passages and an Essence locked door.

Mentioning this aids Third's meditative reminiscence. Remembering the three-dimensional map the Hive Queen had made, and corroborating with its Akashic memories, it decides that the best place to go within the Inner Temple would be the areas where the monks live and sleep within Floor B25. (After all, at this point, most monks have either withdrawn/retreated, or would be at the moment fighting the Rubies toward the West.) It recalls that there would be barracks within the temple, and quite likely within the eastern Temple, due to the fact that an Immaculate run hospital is the front for the eastern entrance.

There is a chance that the retreating monks may have fled toward the hospital, but on the other hand... fewer fighting monks would be stationed there. Besides the fact the hospital actually lies outside the Inner Temple itself. So, eastern barracks inside the Temple is a viable choice. (We will assume Third conveys all this to save time.)

Some time is spent gathering the Jade equipment left lying around while a mix of HAS brute force and insect ingenuity brings down one of the two rear doors. Later on it can be sent away with some of the Rubies inside.



OOC: Ok, I just want to know now, will you have a scout (i.e. Dashu) go first inside via Third's directions, or will all of you go (+rubies and HAS), or just some of you? Just need to know how you'll arrange yourselves for entry, and any last requests. You'll get to rest 2 hours minimum, you can mark off the regained Essence for 2 hours right away as I'm not going to jump you with another encounter without at least that minimum. :)
Tervila Dena
 player, 284 posts
 Full Moon Lunar
 Messenger
Mon 10 Aug 2009
at 00:25
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
"I believe it would be wisest to stick to the same order we began this journey on." Dena suggests.  "Dashu ahead at some distance to scout, myself in the lead of the second group as I am best suited to survive an ambush, Danae rearmost to protect from followers."
Danae Adela
 player, 251 posts
Mon 10 Aug 2009
at 16:14
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
"That'll work" Danae agrees, getting up and stretching out a bit.  "At any rate though, at the very least, we'll need to see about finding some way to get an edge once we're inside.  I'd 'Really' dislike the idea of having to fight a large number of guys on Firmament's level."

Hopefully, there would be enough time for her to recover some of her strength before another pitched battle wound up occuring as well--another pitched fight like the last one could quickly exhaust what reserves she had left.
Peleps Dashu
 player, 318 posts
 Night Caste Solar
 Criminal Investigator
Mon 10 Aug 2009
at 16:53
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
After he was done resting Dashu got on his feet and made ready to set out when he received the word.  "Guess I'll get prepped and begin scouting unless there's something else we need to talk about before I go."
Tervila Dena
 player, 286 posts
 Full Moon Lunar
 Messenger
Mon 10 Aug 2009
at 20:00
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
"Distasteful though the idea is, we will have to abandon our pride and adopt group tactics, as the Dragonblooded do against us." Dena answers Danae.  "A swarm can usually succeed where a single wasp cannot."
Noting that she's stopped bleeding, Dena gets up and heads through the doorway.
Gatekeeper
 GM, 1271 posts
 Exalted Storyteller
 Five Coils Artificer
Tue 11 Aug 2009
at 00:55
Re: Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Infiltration
The Celestials depart the inner compound with Dashu as lookout, Dena with Evamae and the Rubies after some distance. Third and Danae walk in the middle, with the Blue Stripes taking the rear. The door is replaced, though loosely, standing upright to cover the hole and wedged there.

One could only hope that with the fallen monks' bodies as a warning, any potential followers would think twice.

(Continue in Floor B25 - District of Earth, Inner Temple Level 1)