THE WALK THE PLANK.   Posted by donsr.Group: 0
donsr
 GM, 303 posts
 DM
 Ironguard
Mon 29 Nov 2010
at 00:24
THE WALK THE PLANK
  The Tavern/base of  the Arrows, in Ironmound.
donsr
 GM, 306 posts
 DM
 Ironguard
Mon 29 Nov 2010
at 23:59
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
 Fetcher opens  the door and pushes it  wide for the others to enter, many a face turns towards  them, several...very good looking..server girls  are there. A well muscled  fellow behind the  Bar. There are two doors behind the bar, the smell of  food is  as thick as the smoke from Pipes....seafood, and  meet  can be sorted out in the  wounderous  smells...that..and  pipeweed.

 Justin does get an Ill feeling  about a few of the folks there..Most, Including Fetcher have  a brightlight, with a touch of  dark to it...

  There is a long  wooden tabel before  one of the hearths  in the Inn. A dwarf  sits  there going over  some parchments, his helm has but one horn, the horn faces forward. His black beard is tied into a point...Right behind him, coming  down the stairs that lead to the rooms, is an Elf, darkhair woren in a ponytail, His leathers  are dark   and tunic is forest green as is his Hooded cloak, A hawk'shead pommel on his longsword, and  a quiver on his  back...

 The group hear's the Dwarf, Yer Cousin Ivy's Group is aheadin' to Tou...seem to have a hint about  slavers working the river there...Axel's group lost three men in the plains when they were jumped by Cat folk...

  The  elf nods as hereaches the table, one of the grils   brings him a glass of Elven Gold wine, she  grins  as she hurries back to the bar,..well..when we get some folks for Axels'  group...they will have to make sure they visit these Cat-folk and settled the debt...

  The Dwarf  gruts and  nods his head..Fetcher clears  his throat, Both men look towards him, but  thier eyes see past him to the others...The fresh faces, who took the  time to listen to me...I bring them here for you to..talk over  thierquestions...Another ships is coming...Er..The elf  is Kree..Quickshadow...the Dwarf is Reedrick Orebender...they more  or less run things for us  in the city...These  fine folks are..Justin, Merik and Rolf...I live you to it  then...

 Kree waves  the  Girl over  and nods to fetcher, she opens a purse and gives him some coin, the ragged  fellow  bows to you all and leaves. The elf  then asks the Girl, "..Please..bting  some wine and Ale, and whatever the Cooks has the most of right now. Let the folks  eat while we talk....

 The grill nods  and  navigates through the crowded room..Have a seat, as Fetcher said, I am Kree..this is  my brother-in-blood Reedrick..now? what questions have you about  our Company..we can get started from there..

 with a not of his head the dwarf adds,..The cook has beef stew today...ain't no better stew then his..in this town anyway....
Rolf Liefsen
 player, 4 posts
 Human Ranger
Tue 30 Nov 2010
at 01:04
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
Rolf keeps an eye out while they move along.  After all, he knew none of these people and it wasn't unheard of for strangers to be set upon or pressed into a gang and he wasn't so sure that wasn't the case as yet.

The tavern does nothing for him an dthe stench of the pipes he finds annoying.  The smell of the food was an enticement though, but what really caught his attention was the mention of the catfolk and his eyes narrowed.

"Why are there companies, who runs them and why?  And why are you interested in travelers fresh off the boat to join you?  And what's in it for me?"
Justin
 player, 6 posts
Tue 30 Nov 2010
at 01:16
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
[ooc did Justing get any feeling about the dwarf and elf?]
Justin nods respectfully towards each, acknowledging their greetings. He pauses allowing his the other two men to be seated "Goodfellows have you knowledge of yon persons" he asks turning his head momentarilly in the direction of the figures he had an uneasy feelings about [observing them in the process]. Turning back to the Elf and Dwarf, he takes a seat and attempts to describe these people. [ie appearance, clothes, location etc.]
Kree Quickshadow
 player, 1 post
Tue 30 Nov 2010
at 01:40
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
 For Justin, The tow  people he got the dark felings  for, sat at the end of  the bar, near the door. One  was  a Half-orc, the other a thickmuscled man, both wore dirty outfits that claim them to  be sailors, perhaps  of a merchant vessel..neither of them seem to be interested in the group.

  as for the dearf  and the elf, they, like most here..have light images, with a smudge of dark in it.

 Kree looks twoards the bar and shrugs,they appear to be sailors...perhaps   either justed docked, or perhaps getting ready to go to sea after laoding...we get all types here...much like the city itself..we need to pay the bills  as well... he smiles,if  they are fund to be foes...a ride on the Orc Cart is in thier future..."

  turnig to Rolf, he nods,  a good question , my friend.  Long before i came  to these lands...companies were formed...a good way to make  coin, and a better way to keep yourself  alive... I had intended on going it alone, save  for Reedrick  and my brothers...but even i knew, these lands are too harsh, not  to have  some advantage for you..."

    As for lookng for Outlanders? It is better to get them when they enter..I am one of thefew Outlanders who run a company, and even at that, I have the Village behind  me...besides..Outlanders  are of less chance to have been tampered with....you can tell folks from aroundhere right off, miost times...

  the Girl and another server, bring trays  with  a Big pot of stew, some trays of fish, Bread  and biskets Butter,  slices of melon and of course,,ale  and wine..they leave  quickly...the door opens  and a odd lookingperson comes in, multicolored clothes  and a Lute on his back..he is loud  and  smiling, as he approaches  the BArkeep to talk with him.
Justin
 player, 7 posts
Tue 30 Nov 2010
at 02:17
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
Justin nods grateful for this information manoeuvring his chair so he can subtly observe the men sat at the bar whilst not appearing to be disrespectful to those gathered at the table.
singer
Tue 30 Nov 2010
at 03:05
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
   The  barkeep  shrugs  and points tpo a corner  away from the hearths, and near  the Big  window. There is  a  small stage  there, and  the fellow hops up on the stage, Hail, and well met, I am Fross The Luteman and i have  come here to entertain you...now then..coins  can be dropped  right into my cup here..if you so desire to show your like for  my work!

  The  dwarf's  fuzzy eyebrows drop down to form a V above his eyes,Kree..ya  ain't gonna  let him sing are ya..I mean...look at him..he should  be at one of  them White Robe places...

  Kree does not looks to happy as well, he looks over at the Barkeep who shrugs, then makes a motion of rubbinghis fingers together to show "coin" It  appears Olson  has made a deal...we must suffer thorugh it..

  The Dwarf  waves to the  dark haired girl,Gonna need more ale then...

  As  they look around  and the efeminate bard begins to tell a  tale of  two star-crossed lovers, they can see two hugh boards behind the  Bar..one..has  many..many differant Pins, patches and other tokens..there are a few dupilcates, but now many...one the other board  are names...One of the girls  is standing on  the counter in the back of  the bar ( much to the joy of  the fellows sitting at the bar) and is earsing  some names, and  writing in a book, then adding  another  name or two...also, around the  Inn are  all sorts of weapons and bits of armor on the walls, there are two torn battle flags, One  is   that of the Red  Isles...another is  a fed flag, with a  skeleton head..its  eyes  are yellow.
Merik Uaine
 player, 3 posts
 Cleric of Trall
Tue 30 Nov 2010
at 06:59
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
Merik Takes an open chair next to the others and flops down. He looks around the room and has a smile on his face that appears a bit more menacing then friendly. When the food is ordered he seems to relax a bit. "The thing is" He states "This is all new and where I'm from no company’s exist. I'm not putting it down, but I wanna know what kind of commitment this is. If there is something I will not do, and I refuse what kind of consequences’ are there and When I'm ready to head home, who's going to stop me. I know your words are just that, and actions speak the loudest but its all I can accept at this time and I wanna be up front with you."
Kree Quickshadow
 player, 2 posts
Wed 1 Dec 2010
at 02:30
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
 He  nods slowly as Merik speaks . then takes  a sip of  wine  as he looks around the Inn...To be Honest...there are...indeed..companies that you join for  life, whether you wish to or  nay. Ours is not  like that. those who live  long  enough to retire from the pursuits we take up, are honored and may live  in the Village, or find a place in The City. Those who wish to leave it all behind, sometimes go to one  of our Allied  towns  or cities...at times, they  even serve  as  a place  for agents  to get informations, food, shelter  and the lke..

  As for what you are willing or not willling to do ? That is known only to you. I lay this out here for you...for you all. We are not Knights on some filed of  honor, nor  are  we Courtiers tossing  tilted words  about. No matter  what the task is we settle on, there is always one main Compnay Goal, to  rid the realms  of  as many dark folk as we are able...

 Pointing behind the Counter, That is our  Kill board. Once you are an arrow  you report your kills whenever you reach  a town or Village that has an Arrow house in it. With Magics, the Kills are reported  and added to the boards...In our Village, we have a Razorhawk Totem...and  names of  our  folks  are on tiles there...ever climbing upwards as they score  a victory.

  Looking at each of you  a moment he adds,..Once..a Cleric  of Sune was offended by our actions...the same actions that freed her and three of her handmaidians  from slavers...we needed to know where the main camp was...none  would talk..Until we used the safe....information gathering...on them, That  Thr  red Elves..and  Slavers use on normal people...we got  the information..all the  slavers  died...in turn we freed another score of priosners, and killed almost a score of slavers...we wiped out thier  camp, and ended..for a while..at very least...one of the worst scrouges  in this area...now..The cleric, she tried to admonish us..told me..'you are no better then they are'.

  The Dwarf  chuckled  and shook his head, already knowing the story.

  I told her this...as i tell it to you. I....we...are no better then them...we are just on the otherside...THAT...is what puts fear inot  them...they can manipulate the honor  bound 'good' folk...but in us? The look in the miror and see only death coming for them...You would be surprised, how many lives  that has saved......
Justin
 player, 8 posts
Wed 1 Dec 2010
at 02:40
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
In reply to Kree Quickshadow (msg #9):

Justin raising a hand and waited for acknowledgement of his question. "Goodfellow Kree May one know what this method entailed." He asked
Kree Quickshadow
 player, 3 posts
Wed 1 Dec 2010
at 03:03
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
   Slavers call it ..'wailing  words'..for  the way the subjects cry out the  information...if they do, indeed have it...The Red Elves call it  'the peel'. The  subject  is tied to a  chair...the questioner asks  questions, wiith each refusal...the peeler uses  a very hsarpe  knife, and begins to peel back the skin, starting from the foot...The  Reds brag that they once  reached  a man's  waist before he died...I have only ever gotten to  the knee..of course...my blades are not always  the sharpest.... he  shakes his head,we did allow one of them to go free...The Suneite healed his  foot the best she could...the word travelled  fast...there  are not too many slavers, or red Elves that wish to be taken alive by us...those few foes that surrender outright? We bring  back here, and collect  bounty from the  Troopers.

 Looking at each of  them , he watches thier eyes  as if he could  get a measure of thier mettle that way,One of the first folk  my brothers and I met in this lands, was an older Arrow...at that time they had a code on  how to handle priosners  and such...he dealt fairly  with them, sometimes  even offering  ransom to  thier companies. or clans  or whatever rather then bringinh  them  to the City...That cost him    deeply. One of  the men he ransomed back to a group of thugs  who work out of Olant, came  back for him, they had thier way with his wife  and daughter..and killed them...he died about a week later, as he went after them alone..to this  day, and one  we see wearing the patch of  The Grey Hammers...we attack on sight...Twas not  long after that, we instituted the ...'leave no live enemies  behind you'...rule
Justin
 player, 9 posts
Wed 1 Dec 2010
at 03:55
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
In reply to Kree Quickshadow (msg #11):

Justin grimaced "Surely the Priestess could have suggested a more suitable way of questioning those prisoners." he commented, as he carefully consider the Red Arrow representatives comments "Pardon but you have indicated there any casters within the Red Arrow are they intrinsic to each company, group or subgroup?"

This message was last edited by the player at 05:31, Wed 01 Dec 2010.

Kree Quickshadow
 player, 4 posts
Wed 1 Dec 2010
at 04:11
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
  ...within this  city, and  most cities, even some of the towns, there is  the  Wizard's guild..also, there are more then a few powerful maelings that operate on thier own...Our Village has  a small guild, they are allied with that Of Ironmound's. When the collection of recruits is bountiful, we try to send folks where thier talents are best needed...however, most times, we have groups, such as you who arrive at the same time, and feel more at ease being  together..we try to add a seasoned Arrow  to the group, for at least  as long as it  takes  for the recruits to feel comfortable on thier own.
Justin
 player, 10 posts
Wed 1 Dec 2010
at 05:39
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
In reply to Kree Quickshadow (msg #13):

'Humm... adhoc units without formalised structure' he mused to himself "So the Red Arrows have a cadre of healers, mages, scouts and warriors to bolster units as necessary. Approximately how long would these seasoned arrows remain with these groups" he asked curiously
Kree Quickshadow
 player, 5 posts
Wed 1 Dec 2010
at 06:00
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
 ..as  I said, Until we feel they are ready...alot  depends on success of miussions, and how things  are  handled...even if  we fail, we want to make those who opposed us  feel like they lost.
Rolf Liefsen
 player, 5 posts
 Human Ranger
Wed 1 Dec 2010
at 14:20
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
"And when I decide the company isn't for me, what happens when I decide to move on?  And who decides when I am to venture forth?  Who retains treasure found?"
Kree Quickshadow
 player, 6 posts
Wed 1 Dec 2010
at 15:51
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
  Kree takes  a small bite of stew, Motioning  for the others to eat as well, when the time  comes , That you feel you must move on, or that you cannot live up to the reputation of the Arrows. You turn in your pin and oof you go...

  Treasure..or pay..comes intwo forms. Bouties  and such that you fulfill are split  between those who have  helped achieve it. There is a slight bit of  coin that goes to the Company, but not enough that  it  will pauper you. Secondly..a pay of  sorts is given to arrows. Its  is not much , by any means, but it does give you some coin in your purse,,that money comes  from the Funds of the Company itself. The Comapny earns  coins in other ways...

 Like  the  Orc  cart... The  dwarf says  as he swallows, They pay for bodies they pick up behind  Inns and TAverns, and a discounted price from any  equipment taken...we keep alot of that stuff here, to help arm recruits and such..

 The  elf  nods,at any rate, You get paid from the results of your missions, a month handful of  coin, and anything extra you might come up with on your own.
Justin
 player, 11 posts
Thu 2 Dec 2010
at 05:50
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
"Could you provide some more information about some other missions the Arrows had previously completed, for example anything 5 or 10 years ago?"

This message was last edited by the player at 05:51, Thu 02 Dec 2010.

Kree Quickshadow
 player, 7 posts
Thu 2 Dec 2010
at 21:31
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
  Reedrick  stopped  eating  a bit, and Looked from Justin to Kree. The elf's  face was impassive as  he looked at his glass, swirling the Golden wine with  slow flicks of his wrist.

  Kree's eyes  moved  from the wine  to Justin, then to the others, then  back to the wine as he swirled it  about,..as I have  said. We do things most companies  will not...we tend  to take on heavy loads...darker foes..and heavier responsiblities. Because of that.... his eyes  go to Reedrick who frowns, as if knowing  what Kree was going to say,..we have earned the ear of  the crown. Not  so we can brag about it, we cannot even tell folks what we do for  the crown, most times...we have earned less love then most companies, from the service  folk, and the town watch..because we have a bit of favor...you shall see this, if you join us, as  you begin to travel through the City and  such..."

  ..Of the tasks we have completed over the years...that i can tell you about, are many...We have Recovered an Artifact  for   the temple of  the War Gods...we have found over  a dozen lost children..sons or daughters  who were either lead astray. or downright taken...As  A company we fought in three skrimishes in The Black Timber, the forest of  My Village...and ran messages  to allies, that none others were trusted to take...we have Killed more then our share of Red Isle Halflings...we have taken or sunk three River pirate vessels..One of which we  were permitted to Keep...so the Company has its own sloop-of-war...I could go on, but when you get to a cerrtain point, it becomes boasting....One thing I am proud of... his head jerks  towards  the Boards behind the Counter,Many of  those Kills are slavers..or slaver friends...no matter what the mission...slaver heads  are always part of  The Hunt.

  Lowering  his voice, just a bit  as he sits up closer to the table, taking  a sip of his  wine, he says,..of other things...You will have to earn the right to know, once you have become  a trusted  member of the Arrows....

  He is  interupted by the Dark Hair  serving girl, she bents to whisp[er in his ear, besides the ample Bosom she displays, it is easy to see her Bodice is closed with a ruby arrow  pin...as the  'recruits' look to reedrick  and kree, they note  that Kree has a small ruby arrow  on the collar of his Tunic, and  Reedrick has one, on a chain about his neck. The Blonde Server  Girl comes by with some  more fresh bread for the table, she  to, wears  a red arrow pin...

 The Dark  haired Girl smiles slightly at the others  as the two Girls head back to the  bar,..seems  things  are heating up in the Plains, near the Ironwood Forest. The  Cat folk are in heat, so females  are more aggressive, and the MAles  are trying to make a name for themselves, in hopes  of adding mates to thier clan..there was an attack on some farmers  bringing thier  spring harvest in,...By tomorrow, there is  a good bet there will be Bounty sheet  on the boards by the  Main GAtes.
Justin
 player, 12 posts
Thu 2 Dec 2010
at 21:42
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
In reply to Kree Quickshadow (msg #19):

Justin nods appreciatvley "Thank you goodfellow Kree, tis more than enough..." he smiles "I've a interest to see what a catfolk actually are, and the red arrows sounds quite the better body for this, and other tasks, such as dealing with the likes of... " he gives a slight tilt of the head towards the two men seated at the end of the bar "Certain types of a dark nature. Do I make a pledge or something."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:43, Thu 02 Dec 2010.

Merik Uaine
 player, 4 posts
 Cleric of Trall
Fri 3 Dec 2010
at 00:47
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
Merik listens intent, then with a quirk of a smile speaks. "Peace is just the respite or rest between wars. Where once great men sit in bars, cast out by society and forced to scrap by, begging, forgotten for the work they have done to protect others, some even maimed in the process. War brings out the best in people; courage honor and valor are shown and worn. Work for the labors in society become the norm, Crafts men find ample money for food. Nations unite and bonds are forged. These are the teachings of my order. To fight is just and right. The slavers are but boils on the back of society, and if it’s your companies’ goal to remove them, I can see honor in that. If you rescue children from a fate worse then death, I can find valor in that. If you are paid for these things, that should be so for you are the merchants of stability in this region, and I will be a laborer of vengeance for you. The only thing I must make clear, my order comes 1st, the company comes second, however the two do not appear to be on different roads. If this is acceptable, then I will join.”   He does not wait for an answer, but takes a drink from the tankard then grabs a fresh loaf of bread and breaks it, offering half to Justin.
Justin
 player, 13 posts
Fri 3 Dec 2010
at 00:57
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
In reply to Merik Uaine (msg #21):

Justin smiles takes the offered bread and breaks it inturn offering the larger piece to the third man "Come let us undertake to aid the process of correction of those who are corrupt" he prompts.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:02, Fri 03 Dec 2010.

Reedrick Orebender
 player, 1 post
Fri 3 Dec 2010
at 00:57
Re: THE WALK THE PLANK
  The dwarf  nods  with a grunt of satisfaction, well then..seems we needs give The Fetcher an extra coin or two. Looks  like these folk have the belly for our  work, as well as the interest...