2.0 Murder in Sandpoint.   Posted by DM.Group: archive 0
DM
 GM, 618 posts
Mon 1 Feb 2010
at 23:18
2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Please post what spells you usually have memorized in the spells thread.  Be sure you have done hp correctly (fixed amt/lvl); see the character creation thread.


A few weeks have past since the raid on Thistletop.  The goblin threat has died down and negotiations (treaty and/or access to the ruins) with the Thistletop tribe are proceeding well, though nothing has been agreed to yet.  Otherwise life has settled into a comfortable rhythm.  Early one fall morning you are approached by a member of the Sandpoint guard and asked to meet with Sheriff Hemlock right away on a matter of great importance.  The guard is grim and tight lipped.
DM
 GM, 620 posts
Fri 5 Feb 2010
at 20:23
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
You are escorted to Sheriff Hemlocks office.  Once everybody has arrived the Sheriff begins, “First, let me thank you again for all you’ve done for Sandpoint.  It’s fortunate that you’ve proven yourselves so capable, because we’ve a problem that I think you can help us with a problem that I wish I didn’t have to involve anyone with, but one that needs dealing with now before the situation grows worse.
  Put simply, we have a murderer in our midst one who, I fear, has only begun his work. Some of you doubtless remember the Late Unpleasantness, how this town nearly tore itself apart in fear as Chopper’s slayings went on unanswered.  I’m afraid we might have something similar brewing now.
   Last night, the murderer struck at the sawmill. There are two victims, and they’re… they’re in pretty gruesome shape. The bodies were discovered by one of the mill workers, a man named Ibor Thorn, and by the time my men and I arrived on the scene, a crowd of curious gawkers had already sprung up. I’ve got my men stationed there now, keeping the mill locked down, but the thing that bothers me isn’t the fact that we have two dead bodies inside. It’s the fact that this is actually the second set of murders we’ve had in the last few days.
   I come to you for help in this matter, my men are good, but they are also green. They were barely able to handle themselves against the goblins, and what we’re facing now is an evil far worse than goblins. I need the help. But I’m afraid you’ll need the help too. You see, I’m afraid that this particular murderer knows one of you as well.

At this point, Hemlock passes a bloodstained scrap of parchment to Zer-wedula.  It has his name written in blood on the outside of the folded parchment;
inside is a short message “We have spoken of this before, my master. Now it begins. Join the Pack and it will end.”
   The Sheriff says "This was left on the latest victim.  I believe this note was left to throw suspicion on you, and I don't believe you had anything to do with the murders.  However, not everybody is as understanding as me.  If word of this gets out, you could be in trouble.  Would you help me by investigating this as quitely as possible.  I don't want a panic on my hands."
Zer-wedula
 player, 270 posts
Sat 6 Feb 2010
at 15:34
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Hmmmm," Zer-wedula says, as he considers the note.  "Well, I am innocent," he brusquely asserts.

"I suggest we investigate the mill.  Then we figure who would wish this ill upon me.  One of the scholars, jealous, perhaps?  One of the girls at the ...um, house?  A jealous paramour?"

He rises, thanking the Sheriff for his consideration and sets off for the murder scene.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:09, Sat 06 Feb 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 147 posts
Sat 6 Feb 2010
at 20:08
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis remarks, "I don't recall that Sandpoint was nearly this exciting when I was growing up."  Then follows Zer-wedula, "Well if worst comes to worst we can always fake your own lynching.  You are a wizard after all."
DM
 GM, 622 posts
Sun 7 Feb 2010
at 18:28
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Sheriff Hemlock looks a little relieved, "I'm glad you are going to help.  Me and my men will try to control any panic, leaving you to your investigation.  You can consider yourselves as my deputies in this matter.  But before you go, let me explain what we know."
Sandpoint Lumber Mill: The most recent murders took
place here—the bodies are still present, and little has been done
with the crime scene itself. Sheriff Hemlock suggests that this
be the first place the PCs investigate, since he would like to clean
the mill up right away and get the bodies buried.  The victims are
one of the mill’s operators Banny Harker and his girlfriend and
daughter of a local shopkeeper, Katrine Vinder.

Ibor Thorn: Sheriff Hemlock has interrogated Ibor, the man who
discovered the bodies, and doesn’t suspect the frightened miller
knows much more.

Ven Vinder: This merchant is sheriff Hemlock’s only suspect,
although the sheriff is fairly certain that Ven is innocent and that
the murders were committed by someone else.

The First Murders: Three con men from the town of Galduria
were found murdered in an abandoned barn south of town a few
days ago—their bodyguard survived the assault but has gone
insane and is being kept at a nearby sanatorium.

The Rune: There is a star carved on Harker’s chest.  Certainly it has
significance to the killer, but Hemlock’s at a loss as to what
it means.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:56, Sun 07 Feb 2010.

Glum
 player, 327 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sun 7 Feb 2010
at 20:03
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum nodded and turned to the others, "Shall we begin with the mill?"
DM
 GM, 623 posts
Mon 8 Feb 2010
at 06:06
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
You head to the Mill down by the river.  There are many onlookers, but the nervous guards are keeping them out.  When the guards see your group, they nod and stand aside.

   The Mill is quiet, it's machinery (water powered log splitter) turned off.  This is unusual because the mill was working last night.  Harker and Thorn, the two millers, often worked late into the night, which had become a bone of contention around town as the noisy mill and its infernally creaky log splitter kept neighbors awake.  The mill is a well-built wooden structure with very thick walls.  The roof is of wooden shingles, and doors are simple timbers.  There are an upper (where the  logs are split and stored) and small lower floor (with the log splitter machinery), a wooden pier and an office.
   The guard on the inside will give you a rundown of the area.  The upper floor is the scene of the murders.  The sawdust has bloody footprints in addition to sprays of blood.  The stench of death hangs in the air.  The log splitting machinery is covered in blood.  A handaxe is embedded in the floor near the log splitter, as if it had been dropped there.
   The guard will lead you around the machinery, pointing down through a hole "The girls body is down below."  He looks pale as he says this.  On the other side of the room you see a mans body.  The poor man has been affixed to the wall by several hooks normally used to hang machinery. The body is mutilated, the face carved away and lower jaw missing entirely. His bare chest is defaced as well, bearing a strange rune in the shape of a seven-pointed star.

Where, what and how would each of you like to investigate?

Glum
 player, 328 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Mon 8 Feb 2010
at 11:26
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum will begin with Banny Harker's body, first looking at the symbol, then getting down on his knees and looking for signs of blood spatter or anything else that might give him a picture of where and how exactly the killings took place.

11:23, Today: Glum rolled 11 using 1d20+2. Search for clues.
11:21, Today: Glum rolled 11 using 1d20+7. Know religion.

Talis Revain
 player, 148 posts
Mon 8 Feb 2010
at 22:50
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis will stop by the Goblin Squash Stables and ask Daviren Hosk if he can come along.  Then he will continue on to the mill.

Someone with some tracking ability will probably come in handy.
Zer-wedula
 player, 271 posts
Tue 9 Feb 2010
at 11:22
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Zer-wedula will assist in getting down the miller r retrieving the girl, whichever needs help.  He will use his knowledge of histry to recall any similar incidents.

[Private to GM: Making a roll K;H]
DM
 GM, 626 posts
Tue 9 Feb 2010
at 21:31
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Daviren Hosk is available and willing to tag along.  When you arrive he has seen enough death and blood to not initially be bothered by the scene, though he does look sad at the girls death.

Cat has a little trouble with Garious, so she leaves him outside.  She will help Hosk examine the scene.  It is obvious there was a desperate struggle here between 3 people; Banny Harker, Katrine Vinder and a set of barefoot tracks that reek of rotten meat.  The lingering scent of decay in the air is curious—it smells almost as if a small animal had died somewhere in the room and its remains were allowed to ripen.

Glum will examine the body.  The rune is obviously similar to the runes you found in the Thassilonian ruins, a Sihedron (7 pointed star) Rune.  What it might mean is unknown.  The body is mutilated with deep slashes all over.  In addition to the smell of death, there is a scent of rotten meat coming from the body.  With the face carved away and lower jaw missing entirely spells like speak with dead will not be effective. Perhaps someone skilled in healing could tell more.

Zer-wedula will go downstairs and examine Katrine's body.  Her mangled, ruined remains lie on the mill’s lower floor amid heaps of bloodstained firewood. A pale-faced, obviously upset guard stands at attention nearby.  Seeing this done to a stranger would be one thing, but a pretty girl you know...that is something else.  It is obvious, after a brief examination, that the cruel mechanical effectiveness of the log splitter had obliterated any clues and eliminated speak with dead as an option.  Zer-wedula does not recall any specifically similar events, though he does recall several conversations with Brodert Quink about Thassilonia and his Sihedron Rune Medallion.  If anyone could shed some light on the rune, it would be him.

Tallis and a guard will go examine the office, upon his return he states "The office isn't ransacked, so robbery wasn't a motive."

Cat looks at the handaxe that is embedded in the floor near the log splitter, as if it had been dropped there. The handle is covered with bloody finger-marks, and a close examination of the head reveals two things of note. First, smears of what look like rotten flesh and fragments of bone are caked on its blade, and second, the rotten meat stink is strong on it.  Cat almost gags when she sniffs it.  The rotten meat smell is particularly strong on the blade.

Daviren Hosk and Tallis move out onto the pier where there discover muddy footprints.  A barefoot human clambered up from the mud under the pier, crossed over to the mill, and then scaled the wall to an upper-floor window.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:06, Wed 10 Feb 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 150 posts
Wed 10 Feb 2010
at 21:24
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis will compare the handprints on the handaxe (size) with the victims and will suggest to Cat that she see what Garious thinks about the scent.

He will also ask Hosk to check the river banks for tracks.  He will "upgrade" the care his horse gets at the stables (ie; pay Hosk for his time).
DM
 GM, 627 posts
Wed 10 Feb 2010
at 22:13
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
The bloody marks are most likely from Katrine.

Hosk will glance in the direction of Katrine's body before agreeing to do a sweep of the banks.

Cat finds that Garious does not like the rotten meat smell.  This is highly unusual because dogs love dead things.  This probably indicates it is of supernatural origin (Outsider, Undead, Abberation, Dragon, etc...).

You have enough information to deduce a probable scenario.  A human(?) comes out of the river, climbs in the upper floor, kills Banny Harker.  The body is out of sight of the door, so when Katrine arrives, she does not see anything and enters the mill.  She manages to grab the axe and defend herself but ends up in the log splitter (falls, pushed?).  But why and how does the first set of murders fit in?

So where does everybody want to go from here?

Zer-wedula
 player, 273 posts
Thu 11 Feb 2010
at 02:34
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Zer-wedula will go talk to Brodert Quink about the rune and a general description of the scenario at the mill.
Glum
 player, 329 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Thu 11 Feb 2010
at 10:59
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum will consult with other priests about any possible cult of assassins known to have operated locally and to have taken such precautions to prevent corpses speaking.
Talis Revain
 player, 151 posts
Thu 11 Feb 2010
at 20:24
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis will go visit Sabyl, the monk/scholar of the House of Blue Stones.  She is supposed to be learned and has a fair library.
DM
 GM, 628 posts
Thu 11 Feb 2010
at 21:45
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Posting for Cat;


Glum
helps Father Zantus and Naffer Vosk (the graveyard caretaker) deal with the bodies and transport them to the Cathedral.  They are both somber during this job.  Father Zantus points out the 5 fingered marks left by claws and that the rotten smell is stronger there.  Naffer Vosk sniffs the smell and says, "My guess would be an undead.  I once say a zombie that smelled like that."

   About assassins, neither has any knowledge of anything specifically.  But anybody with even a decent formal education and definitely an assassin would know about such things.  Though this case may be just a coincidence.  Katrine was torn apart by the log-splitter and Banny was just generally mutilated.  Did the thing that did this intentionally prevent a speak with dead?  That they cannot answer.

The party knows Nualia had contact with a group of killers in Magnimar known as the Skinsaw Men.  In general, any halfway experienced assassin is going to know about things like speak with dead or raise dead and have ways of dealing with them (cutting off heads is popular).

Zer-wedula visits Brodert Quink, an expert on Varisian history who moved to Sandpoint recently to study the town’s own Thassilonian ruin—the Old Light. Brodert is tremendously excited to be involved in a murder investigation, and does everything he can to aid Zer-wedula. Unfortunately, much of the lore about ancient Thassilon has been lost; what does remain has been gathered from barely legible carvings on the surviving monuments or extracted from the myths and oral traditions of Varisian seers and storytellers.
   What he knows about Thassilon is that it was a vast empire ruled by powerful wizards.  The sheer size of the monuments they left behind testifies to their power, and the unnatural way many of these monuments have resisted erosion and the march of time testifies to their skill at magic. Most sages place the height of the Thassilonian empire at 7,000 to 8,000 years ago, but Brodert thinks the empire was even older.  He suspects it collapsed no sooner than 10,000 years in the past.
   Much of what Brodert has to say is vague theory based on conjecture, his belief that the Old Light was once a war machine capable of spewing fire from its peak is relatively unpopular among his peers, for example. Yet he can tell Zer a few things of interest about the star—namely, that it seems to be one of the most important runes of Thassilon.  The star itself is known as the “Sihedron Rune,” and signifies not only the seven virtues of rule (generally agreed among scholars to have been wealth, fertility, honest pride, abundance, eager striving, righteous anger, and rest), but the seven schools of magic recognized by Thassilon (divination magic, Brodert points out, was not held in high regard by the ancients). Brodert notes with a smirk that much of what is understood about Thassilon indicates that its leaders were far from virtuous, and he believes the classic mortal sins (greed, lust, pride, gluttony, envy, wrath, and sloth) rose from corruptions of the Thassilonian virtues of rule. In any event, the Sihedron Rune was certainly a symbol of power, one that may well have stood for and symbolized the empire itself. The fact that the killer carved it into the flesh of his victim might point to the fact that the murderer is some sort of scholar, although as soon as Brodert comes to this conclusion, he just as quickly proclaims himself to be innocent.

Talis has a chat with Sabyl and Cat will visit Madame Mvashti.  Neither have much to add directly but both will offer the following;
-both Ameiko and Ilsoari Gandethus are experienced adventurers
-investigate the victims
-talk with Ibor (the partner who found the bodies)
-talk with Ven (The father of the victim, a man with a temper who didn't like his daughters boyfriend), he is currently in jail because he attacked the Sheriff when he was told his daughter was dead.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:39, Tue 22 June 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 152 posts
Thu 11 Feb 2010
at 23:32
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
He will ask Sabyl to compile a list of possible undead, then he will go investigate the survivor of the 1st attack.
Zer-wedula
 player, 274 posts
Thu 11 Feb 2010
at 23:54
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
With a sudden realization sparked by Quink, Zer-wedula seeks his comrades.

"What if,"
he conjectures, "The seven pointed star corresponds to the seven sins and the two victims were lust?  Who or what is next?"

"Perhaps,mayhaps, we could set a trap?  Is there a well knwn glutton or layabout?"
Glum
 player, 330 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Fri 12 Feb 2010
at 10:30
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum sighed... "I consider myself to be quite lazy", he said.  "But I have no idea whether others see me that way.  I somehow doubt it because I pride myself on overcoming my weaknesses."
Talis Revain
 player, 153 posts
Fri 12 Feb 2010
at 21:25
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Friend Zer I commend you on that leap of logic.  Until we can find someone fat and gluttonous, why don't we go interview the one survivor, or do you wish to do something around town."

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:54, Fri 12 Feb 2010.

DM
 GM, 629 posts
Fri 12 Feb 2010
at 21:54
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum and Zer-wedula catch up with Tallis outside the stables saddling his horse for a ride to the Saintly Haven of Respite, better known locally as Habe’s Sanatorium, where the insane survivor is located.  It is a 2-3 mile ride south.
Zer-wedula
 player, 275 posts
Sat 13 Feb 2010
at 02:19
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Perhaps one of us should find Cat and the other accompany you," Zer-wedula proposes.   He turns to Glum, "I think I shall go with Talis."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:24, Wed 17 Feb 2010.

DM
 GM, 631 posts
Wed 17 Feb 2010
at 21:48
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Please use the private lines until the group is back together.

[Private to Zer-wedula; Talis Revain: Talis and Zer-wedula ride out to the Saintly Haven of Respite Sanatorium.  A squat, stone building that serves as the sanatorium has three floors under a stout stone-flagged roof, built in the lee of the limestone escarpment known as Ashen Rise.  Only the ground floor has windows.  Downhill from this there is a small, 2 story cottage.

Riding up to the Sanatorium the pair dismount and head to the door.  The door is locked so you pull the bell cord.  Shortly, a smaller peephole in the door open and a man says, "Hello, state your business."
]

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Glum: Glum can track down Cat.  He finds her just coming out of the Rusty Dragon.  Waving the smelly axe she says, "I'm heading over to talk with Headmaster Gandethus, perhaps he can tell what kind of undead this is.  Do you want to come or do something else?"]
Glum
 player, 332 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Wed 17 Feb 2010
at 23:39
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum goes looking for Cat

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; DM: And when he finds her nods, agreeing that he will accompany her, since an extra pair of fists can often be useful in such istuations.]
Talis Revain
 player, 154 posts
Wed 17 Feb 2010
at 23:46
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis Says;

[Private to Zer-wedula: Tallis says politely, "We are investigating some murders for the Sheriff and want to interview the survivor he brought her a couple of days ago."]
DM
 GM, 632 posts
Thu 18 Feb 2010
at 18:43
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
PMs

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Glum: Cat and Glum find Headmaster Gandethus teaching the kids, but he will turn the class over to an assistant (1 of the older children) and takes them to his study.  He will take a look/sniff at the axe and gets sick.  He pushes it away and wipes his eyes, "Wow, yeah I haven't forgotten that smell.   We once opened a tomb and fought a ghoul.  So it is probably a ghoul or ghoul-like undead.  Wow, I don't remember it being this strong, but i didn't get close to it the last time.  Be careful, the ghoul paralyzed my friend with a touch.    It only lasts as long as it takes to cast a few spells, but that's long enough for them to gut you and start eating."  That's all he can tell you and you leave him lighting some incense to try to clear the smell away.
   As you leave cat and Glum begin to smell smoke.  Responses?
]


[Private to Talis Revain; Zer-wedula: The man at the door says (in a local accent) "I'll see if the Doctor is busy" and he closes the peep hole.  A few minutes later another man opens the peep hole and Talis repeats his request.  This man has a cultured/educated Magnimar accent, "I'm sorry, but I'm in the middle of some frightfully important work and cannot be disturbed."  Responses?]
Talis Revain
 player, 155 posts
Thu 18 Feb 2010
at 20:02
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
PM
[Private to Zer-wedula: In his polite voice, "We don't wish to disturb you, we merely wish to interview the patient.  This is Zer-wedula, an esteemed man of learning, and we are here on official business."]
Glum
 player, 333 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Thu 18 Feb 2010
at 20:38
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
PM
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; DM: [we expect to smell smoke don't we?  Or are we talking about something other than incense?]]
DM
 GM, 633 posts
Thu 18 Feb 2010
at 20:55
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Glum: As you leave you smell wood burning, and you aren't near a fireplace.]
Good catch, it is unusual.

[Private to Talis Revain; Zer-wedula: The man behind the door looks at Zer-wedula, "I've heard of you.  What do you except to get out of an interview?  You're a wizard, aren't you.  Hmmm."  He seems to be thinking but doesn't open the door as he scrutinizes the wizard.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:36, Thu 18 Feb 2010.

Glum
 player, 334 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Thu 18 Feb 2010
at 21:24
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
PM

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; DM: "Damn", says Glum, "Smells like something on fire".  He follows his nose as he looks for the source of the smoke.]
DM
 GM, 634 posts
Fri 19 Feb 2010
at 10:52
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
 nicely done Zer, good repy
[Private to Talis Revain; Zer-wedula: A private war rages in Zer-wedula's head.  He finally murmurs, "We hope to discover clues that will allow us to give closure and comfort to the families of the departed.  Is your heart so  cold as to say no?"

Doctor Habe looks thoughtful, "No, of course not."  He unlocks the door and lets you in, "I suppose a supervised interview might prove interesting.  A short interview.  So what spells do you propose to use on the patient."  Tallis tweaks to the fact that while his lips say "No", he really is letting you in because he is curious about Zer-wedula.

Inside a brisk sense of cleanliness fills the place.  Floors are scrubbed and walls are freshly painted white.  The somewhat sour smell of burning incense abounds.  You find yourself in a waiting room with a warm fireplace and some benches.  You divest yourself of your outside gear.

ooc: It would be strange to carry bows and large weapons(like polearms) around indoors.  What do you leave here?
]

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Glum: The smell seems to lead you to the ladder to the attic and the sealed off door.  The smell seems to come from the attic.

ooc: You guys do remember what happened here, don't you?
]

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:47, Fri 19 Feb 2010.

Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 264 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Sat 20 Feb 2010
at 20:08
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
In reply to DM (msg #32):
PMa
[Private to DM; Glum: Cat follows Glum towards the smoke. She halts at the attic stairs, "Do we really want to go back to there?"]
[Private to GM: Mind is still foggy. Trying to get the gist of the thread.]
Glum
 player, 335 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sat 20 Feb 2010
at 20:22
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
PM

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; DM: "Not really", said Glum.  "Not after the last time.  Do we have a choice?"]
Zer-wedula
 player, 276 posts
Sun 21 Feb 2010
at 07:01
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
pm
[Private to Talis Revain; Zer-wedula: Zer-wedula leaves his crossbow and bastard sword here.  He still has the wand of shocking grasp, which Talis has seen.

Is the doctor human, and hence may be limited linguistically?  Z-W wishes to speak freely with Talis.

"I suppose I might charm the unfortunate, but that all depends on the cooperation I receive," Zer-wedula ends with a meaningful glance at the doctor and orderlies.
]

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:17, Sun 21 Feb 2010.

DM
 GM, 635 posts
Sun 21 Feb 2010
at 07:25
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Talis Revain; Zer-wedula:
ooc:The doctor is an older human with a big city accent, the 2 orderlies are also human with local accents.  If you want to talk with Tallis alone you could just take him aside and talk low.

Talis leaves his polearm and bow behind, his dog is outside with the horses.
]

Cat and Glum, I hear talk but what do you do?
Glum
 player, 336 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sun 21 Feb 2010
at 12:18
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
The talk describes the action.

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; DM: We haven't decided yet. Probably go away and tell someone we smelled smoke, but at the moment, we're trying to talk one another out of investigating I think.]
Talis Revain
 player, 156 posts
Sun 21 Feb 2010
at 20:51
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
pm
[Private to Zer-wedula: In a low voice, "So do you want a distraction or do you want me to use my sophisticated charms?"  (Diplomacy, bluff, etc...)]

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:43, Mon 22 Feb 2010.

Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 265 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Mon 22 Feb 2010
at 00:07
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
pm

[Private to DM; Glum: Cat looks at Glum,"We could tie string to one another to tell who was real?"]
Glum
 player, 337 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Mon 22 Feb 2010
at 00:13
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
PM

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; DM: "First of all, let's ask other people if they smell smoke."]
DM
 GM, 636 posts
Mon 22 Feb 2010
at 20:11
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
pm
[Private to Talis Revain; Zer-wedula: So they lead you through a groundfloor that looks like a general meeting room, with a table, chairs and large water basin.  There are a few doors around the room and a set of stairs heading up.  The doctor leads you up the stairs.

ooc:The place is clean and orderly (like a hospital).  It is well lite by continual flame spells.  The inside has apparently been enchanted to keep an even temperature.

The 2nd floor has 10 doors that can be barred from this side (like jail cells) and have small doors in them for someone to look through.  Only 2 are in use.  1 door is locked and there is an old man's voice singing behind it (a song neither of you know).  The other door is open and a blind man is sitting on a clean bed, "Doctor is that you, the noise is disturbing my nap."  On the far side of the room are stairs leading up and from upstairs there is a constant sobbing.  The Doctor carefully comforts the old man and closes the door, but doesn't lock it.

As you enter the top floor the sobbing is punctuated with a scream, then back to wailing.  The Doctor goes to a door and looks in before having an orderly unlock the door.  The Doctor steps back looking expectantly at Zer-wedula, "I really wonder how you expect to get anything from him."  Inside the room is a nice bed that hasn't been touched.  Over in a corner is a man in a straight jacket huddle in a corner.  It is evident to even an unskilled person that the man is dreadfully sick and perhaps close to death.
]

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Glum: The first person you run across is a child running an errand.  He claims to not smell any smoke.]
Glum
 player, 338 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Mon 22 Feb 2010
at 20:15
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
PM

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; DM: Glum whispers to Catessa, "Should we just assume it's an illusion?  We didn't kill it last time did we?"]
Talis Revain
 player, 157 posts
Mon 22 Feb 2010
at 22:39
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
pm
[Private to Zer-wedula:
With a little twist of a smile, "Enlighten us Zer, how are we going to get anything out of him."

ooc; What exactly do you want me to do?  I think the Doctor will let you cast anything short of a lethal spell on him.
]
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 266 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Tue 23 Feb 2010
at 20:12
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to DM; Glum: Cat sighs softly, "Last time, when I finally heard you and went up to get you, a boy fell down the stairs. By the time we came down, he was gone. If we assume it's all an illusion. what do we do if it's not? And should we not stop what ever is causing all this?"]
pm

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:32, Tue 23 Feb 2010.

DM
 GM, 637 posts
Wed 24 Feb 2010
at 20:47
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
I like to bring thing's up from a characters past.  Deeds/actions have consequences (good and bad).
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Glum: ooc: Cat's comments seem to imply that she thinks the dead boy was an illusion.

Quick refresher (from 1.2 Naomi Glum and Talis/pg4), Tanrov was a real boy who fell under the influence of an undead thing called an Attic Whisperer that preys on lonely children.  While battling it, the boy Tanrov fell down the ladder and went to negative hps.  Cat came up, saw the still form of a bleeding boy and ignored him in favor of climbing a ladder.  This allowed the boy to bleed out (over the course of at least 3 rounds, during which a cure spell would have saved him).  Through her inaction Cat allowed a child to die.  And yes, the Attic Whisperer survived.


As Glum and Cat are talking both begin to smell smoke again, the boy they were talking to suddenly looks at Cat and in a voice that is not his own says, "You let me die, please don't kill me again" and runs away around a corner.  The voice was Tanrov's!
You were surprised, so no actions during the surprise round.
]

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:48, Wed 24 Feb 2010.

Glum
 player, 339 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Wed 24 Feb 2010
at 22:51
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
PM

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; DM: "The easiest way", suggested Glum, "Would be to evacuate the place and seal it up. so the creature can starve... assuming they DO starve and not just lie dormant".  He sighed.  "But I suppose we have to do this."]
DM
 GM, 638 posts
Wed 24 Feb 2010
at 23:11
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
pm
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Glum: You do realize
1- the authorities know about the Attic Whisperer and have sealed off the attic.  But that is about all they can do for now (the kids have to live somewhere).  If they were going to seal up the Academy, they would have done so by now (though the ghost of a dead kid might change their minds, but probably not).

2- a kid has just been possessed by a ghost and run off.
]
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 267 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Thu 25 Feb 2010
at 02:45
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Joy

[Private to DM; Glum: Cat shakes her head at Glum, "I don't think that will work. Anyways, we must release that  spirit." She heads off, following the boy.]
Glum
 player, 340 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Thu 25 Feb 2010
at 10:08
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Yeah we know.

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; DM: Glum casts Protection from Evil on himself and then follows after Catessa.]
Zer-wedula
 player, 277 posts
Thu 25 Feb 2010
at 18:53
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Talis Revain: Zer-wedula will apply his mighty spellcraft to try to determine if  magic caused or in the past caused the man's condition.  He will then try again to determine if Charming the man might help.

(Going to roller)
]pm
DM
 GM, 640 posts
Thu 25 Feb 2010
at 21:19
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Glum: ooc:Good, I wasn't sure from your post, I thought I might have been too subtle. :)

Cat and Glum follow the kid, which proves surprisingly difficult.  He is quick and knows the Academy better than you.  You manage to chase him outside and around a corner to Festival Street where it seems, you aren't the only ones having a bad day.  You see Garth fighting a Varisian man, "You wife stealing bastard, I'm going to gut you" in the middle of the street in front of Madame Mvashti’s (#28).  Even though Garth only has his shorts on and is fighting unarmed, he is still winning.  Near the fight are a couple of Varisian toughs (armed and armored) holding Mara (Garth's married ex-girlfriend) who is wearing nothing but a sheet.  The man he is fighting is Rauno, Mara's husband, who is armed with Garth's own sword and studded leather armor.  There are several people watching the fight.  It doesn't take a wizard to figure out what happened.  The boy is running down the street toward the fight.

As you run after the boy you see Garth disarm the guy and take his sword back.  With a quick punch Rauno falls to his knees with a defeated look and Garth starts to swing at his neck, but stops inches short, "I will not be a murderer, but you must never hurt Mara again" and he turns away.  Mara pulls away from the men and throws her arms around Garth, kissing him (dropping the sheet in the process), "My hero."

This display sets Rauno off and before anyone can react, he pulls out a dagger and stabs Garth in the back with it.  Garth tries to react but Mara gets in his way and the point goes all the way through and sticks out of his bare chest.  Mara screams, "You killed him".  The boy stops 20' from Garth and stares, allowing Glum/Cat to catch up.  Garth crumples to the ground with surprised look on his face (if he isn't dead, then he is at -9).

Glum and Cat/Garious are next to the possessed boy, 20' away from a dead/dying Garth and his attacker, who has friends nearby.  What do Glum and Cat/Garious do?
]

PM

[Private to Talis Revain; Zer-wedula:
ooc:Zer-wedula determines that it is a magical diesase (which requres the heal skill to diagnose).
Charming would make him friendly, but you would still have to deal with the insanity.


While Zer-wedula observes, Tallis will move up to the man talking softly, "Tell us what happened, it will be all right." But gets nothing.  He turns him over so Zer-wedula can get a look at the mans face.  The man opens his eyes and looks around, focusing first on Tallis until he sees Zer-wedula.  Grayst’s eyes bulge and stiffens, "He said. He said you would visit me. His Lordship. The one that unmade me said so. He has a place for you. A precious place. I’m so jealous. He has a message for you. He made me remember it. I hope I haven’t forgotten. The master wouldn’t approve if I forgot. Let me see… let… me… see…He said you should come to the Misgivings soon, to meet the Pack, for they have something wonderful to show you."  He seems to collapse at this point, but a moment later with a mighty heave he rips free from the straightjacket and lunges to his feet, eyes fixed on Zer-wedula, hands flexing like claws.

Your turn, what do Tallis and Zer-wedula do.
]
Glum
 player, 341 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Thu 25 Feb 2010
at 22:48
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
PM

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; DM: Glum tries to tumble toward Garth, aiming to land gracefully on his feet.  Unfortunately, he seems to trip over his own feet, then stumble toward Garth, who he examines.  If Garth is still alive, Glum casts a cure light wounds spell to stabilise him.  Otherwise, he announces, "He's dead."]
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 268 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Fri 26 Feb 2010
at 11:43
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to DM; Glum: Cat follows Glum, ready to heal as needed. She returns to the boy, "Are you all right?"]
pm
DM
 GM, 641 posts
Fri 26 Feb 2010
at 18:43
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum, give me a heal check.

[Private to Talis Revain; Zer-wedula:
Talis pulls out a sap as he adjusts 5' for tactical advantage and whacks the man a solid blow, but misses the head and hits the base of the neck (15 nonlethal damage- but Grayst is still up).

Zer-wedula craftily steps back to put Talis between him and the miscreant and then casts Daze (DC13) on the man.

The orderlies push the Doctor back and stand between him and the patient.  The Doctor says "Don't kill him, there is so much I can learn from some with gh..." then he shuts up as if he has said too much.

Grayst shakes off the spell (got lucky and made his save) and heads toward Zer, giving Talis another chance (Aoo - hi, 8 damage).  This time he makes a solid hit behind the head, but Grayst keeps on coming, "Kill you, the Master will love me the best".  He appears staggered, but continues his charge on Zer.  He hits for 4 damage (This is real damage).

Talis casually steps behind the man, and whacks him with the sap a 3rd time...and the man crumples to the ground, unconscious.  After a couple of heart beats, the man stays down and the orderlies rush forward and grab the blanket off the bed to use as an improvised straightjacket while the Doctor examines his patient.  Doctor, "I am so sorry, I had no idea he would go off like that."
]

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:40, Fri 26 Feb 2010.

Glum
 player, 342 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Fri 26 Feb 2010
at 21:58
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Anticipated.[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; DM: 23:45, Yesterday: Glum rolled 16 using 1d20+2. examine Garth. ]
Zer-wedula
 player, 278 posts
Sat 27 Feb 2010
at 18:42
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Talis Revain: "Doctor, you are a learned man, and certainly have some insight into the man's condition.  Perhaps you would share your diagnosis with us in private?" Zer-wedula gives a look to Talis.  "We could certainly put in a good word for you in Sandpoint."

13:29, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 17 using 1d20+5. Diplomacy on doctor.
]
pm
Talis Revain
 player, 158 posts
Sat 27 Feb 2010
at 19:37
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Zer-wedula: Talis looks at the orderlies wrapping the man up, "Do you have anything stronger?"]
pm

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:40, Mon 01 Mar 2010.

DM
 GM, 642 posts
Mon 1 Mar 2010
at 07:57
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Glum: The boy just stares at Garth seemingly entranced by Glums actions.  Glum tries to stop the bleeding with his skill in healing, but is to late.  Perhaps a spell might have saved him, perhaps not.  With Glum concentrating on Garth and Cat on the boy, Rauno gets up and starts to run away with his cronies.  Mara screams theatrically, "Help."  Most of the witnesses just stare, to shocked for action.  A girl, Mvashti's assistant, sobs and runs into Madame Mvashti's house.]
pm

[Private to Talis Revain; Zer-wedula: The doctor says "Yes, fetch the manacles and another straight jacket."  He seems to be having an internal struggle before saying, "I think the man has ghoul fever.  It's contracted by contact with a ghoul or some spells."]
Glum
 player, 343 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Mon 1 Mar 2010
at 10:39
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Oh dear!

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; DM: Glum sighed.  "It could be any one of them now.  I don't know what to do."  He frowned and then after a while smiled.  "We need more research", he said.]
Talis Revain
 player, 159 posts
Mon 1 Mar 2010
at 20:08
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Zer-wedula: Talis will look at the man with an incredulous look, "He has what?  Doesn't that turn you into a ghoul?  I am going to get Father Zanthus."  Tallis will hop on his horse and quickly ride into town and to find Father Zanthus.  He will tell him, "There is a man desperately ill with ghoul fever at Habe's Sanatorium, can you cure him?"]pm
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 269 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Wed 3 Mar 2010
at 16:25
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to DM; Glum: Hearing  the cry for help, Cat attempts to take the boy in hand and go investigate. She gives Glum a confused look, "Huh?"]
pm
DM
 GM, 643 posts
Wed 3 Mar 2010
at 20:14
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Glum: Cat grabs the boys hand, he seems entranced by Garth's dead body and doesn't resist.  She pulls him closer to the body as she goes over to Mara (who is also standing by the body).  Glum is evidently contemplating what to do.  The killer, Rauno is fleeing the scene.

As Cat tries to calm the hysterical Mara and keep the boy near the girl who ran into Mvashti's house comes running out.  Maras is Mvashti's assistant and Mara's sister.

actions?
]
[Private to Glum: Glum notices that Mara is acting.  It's very subtle and he is probably the only one to notice.]
pm


[Private to Talis Revain; Zer-wedula: Talis rides back to town and convinces Father Zanthus to come immediately.  Father Zanthus seems distracted but focuses when Tallis says "Ghoul Fever", "That's bad, let me grab a few things, can your horse carry 2?"

Back at the Sanatorium Zer-wedula has a chat with the Doctor and supervises the disposition of the sick man.  The orderlies carefully secure him, rope him to the bed and lock the door.  Father Zanthus starts to work on the patient as soon as he arrives.  "He is too far gone for my skill, I will need to use magic," and he pulls out a scroll and casts Remove Disease. The results are immediate as the man still looks sick (the spell did not cure the stat damage- that will take time), but he stops his fevered ranting.  He is still insane and you really can't get anything more out of him.

Talis knows the Misgivings are Aldern Foxgloves mansion on the coast, several miles south of Sandpoint.  I'll detail more later.
]

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:19, Wed 03 Mar 2010.

Glum
 player, 344 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Wed 3 Mar 2010
at 21:12
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
PM [Private to Catessa Fallowfield; DM: Glum says to Catessa, loud enough for Mara to hear but probably nobody else.  "I have a spell for calming emotions. I just cast it on Mara."]
Talis Revain
 player, 160 posts
Wed 3 Mar 2010
at 23:18
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Zer-wedula: Mentally, Talis marks the Doctor as someone to be watched.  On the return trip he will ask Father Zanthus "Should we warn the farms around the Misgivings?]pm
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 270 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Thu 4 Mar 2010
at 15:01
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to DM; Glum: Cat nods to Glum, thinking the spell didn't work that well. "Come on, we need to go after him." She points at Rauno, terribly confused about it all.]

pm
DM
 GM, 645 posts
Thu 4 Mar 2010
at 21:25
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Glum; Talis Revain: Mara grabs up her sheet and runs away still crying (either she realized you were bluffing or she has enough spellcraft to know you were bluffing).  As you prepare to chase after Rauno, Maras comes running out of the house with a blanket with mystical runes.  Hurriedly she says "Please don't leave, we can revive him, but it must be done quickly."  She spreads the blanket over Garths body, "Glum, touch that rune and channel positive energy.  Cat, touch that rune with a heal spell.  I can cover this rune."  Both Cat and Glum can see their runes are fairly standard magic dealing with healing and calling spirits, but the rune she choose is nasty looking and dangerous.  Cat still has the boys hand, he does not appear to be resisting.

Do you help her?
]

pm


[Private to Talis Revain; Zer-wedula: Father Zanthus thinks for a moment, "That really isn't for me to say.  I suggest you take that up with the Sheriff.  I will say this, a ghoul is the most reasonable explanation, but not the only one.  A spell could have infected him or someone who turned into a ghoul with a spell.  So it could be something else."]
Zer-wedula
 player, 279 posts
Fri 5 Mar 2010
at 01:09
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Talis Revain: "Or burn it all.  I like the doctor not one bit and think he should be reported.  As for Misgivings, tell Glum to bring lots of holy water."]pm

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:36, Fri 05 Mar 2010.

DM
 GM, 646 posts
Fri 5 Mar 2010
at 19:25
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
pm
[Private to Talis Revain; Zer-wedula: Father Zanthus looks thoughtful, "I was so focused on the patient that I really didn't notice, but I do think you are correct goodman Zer-wedula.  Perhaps I will have a chat with the Sheriff.  If you want goodman Talis, I can ask him to send warnings to the farms."

I am waiting for the other group to resolve an issue before you arrive back at town.
]
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 271 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Sat 6 Mar 2010
at 22:12
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to DM; Glum: Cat will have to remain confused for now. Still holding the boy in one hand, she moves to help Mara.]
pm
DM
 GM, 647 posts
Mon 8 Mar 2010
at 23:28
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Glum: As Glum and Cat do as asked, an old voice comes from the doorway, "Let others observe our secrets, a good idea is not" and the group is surrounded by an obscuring mist.  Maras places the blanket over Garth's body and places her hand on the nasty looking rune.  As healing and positive energies flow into their runes, her's glows black and she slumps, but stays upright.  The blanket begins to dissolve into Garth.  After a few moments, Garth starts breathing again and the little boy by Cat's side collapses.

Madame Mvashti has you carry Garth into her house, she'll get the boy.  You struggle with Garths large form through the fog.  Oddly, by the time you get out of the fog, you find the boy has already been moved inside, though Madame Mvashti is still behind you.  Inside she examines both of them.  When the guard arrives, she has Cat and Glum talk to them. The guard asks what happened and how is the investigation coming along?
]
pm

[Private to Talis Revain; Zer-wedula: Father Zanthus will also tell you that your friend Garth was almost killed and is recuperating at Madame Mvashtis.  Where do you go and what do you do when you get back to town in the late afternoon/early evening.]
Glum
 player, 345 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Tue 9 Mar 2010
at 11:10
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; DM: Glum sighed.  "I've a nasty idea", he said, "that we know exactly who or what the murderer is, but proving it and catching the culprit are going to be much more difficult."]
PM
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 273 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Mon 15 Mar 2010
at 00:16
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to DM; Glum: Cat hides her anxiety of the fog and all.  She's glad the spell works but is unsure of all its workings. She does her best to stay with the boy. As Glum says they know who the murderer is, she gives him a puzzled look. We do?]pm
Glum
 player, 346 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Mon 15 Mar 2010
at 00:49
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; DM: "I've a horrible feeling we do", said Glum.  "It's the spirit that we came across in that there room.  It can possess people and never have to face the consequences."]
PM
DM
 GM, 650 posts
Mon 15 Mar 2010
at 06:58
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Talis Revain; Zer-wedula: Zer-wedula circulates through the scholarly community asking about Lord Foxglove and Misgivings.  Tallis talks with a few people (Ameiko Kaijitsu and Sabyl).  Together they learn, the Misgivings are Aldern Foxglove's local manor house.  I will detail more later for the whole group.  Eventually, they are both invited to meet at Madame Mvashti.]

[Private to Tanrov: Tanrov remembers growing up in Sandpoint's Academy/orphanage.  Recently, ostracized by his fellow orphans he found solace with a magical friend who eventually killed a visiting monk and then pushed Tanrov down a ladder while the dwarf Glum tried to save him.  He recalls leaving his body and watching as the halfling druid named Cat rushed by his nearly lifeless body without aiding him.  Then death, but his spirit was troubled and did not pass on to the next life.  He has vague memories of being a ghost, but his next real memory was of seeing Cat again.  Tanrov possessed (for the 1st time) a kid and ran from Cat.  Arriving on the scene in time to see Garth die.  He watched as Garth's spirit departed and when the living people used powerful magic on Garth's body, he blacked out.

He has returned to consciousness and life in a new body, Garth's body....
]

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Glum: You discuss the situation with the guard who will declare Rauno a wanted man.]

Madame Mvashti proclaims, "Bad number is 4, 5 better much."  After consulting the cards and such she proclaims, "Wish to return, Garth spirit did not.  Other dead soul still looking to live."  Glum and Cat spend most of the afternoon at Madame Mvashti examining Garth and come to the conclusion that the blanket was powerful raise dead magic, but it had to be used within a few moments of death.  When it was used to revive Garth, his spirit did not return, but Tanrov's spirit took his place (souls must be willing to be raised, evidently Garth wasn't willing).  Normally, that would be the end of it, but somehow the soul of the dead boy Tanrov was drawn in by the magic and is now living in Garth's body.  The powerful magic of the pool in the Catacombs of Wrath might have had an effect.

Effectively, Tanrov was raised in Garth's body.

You all finally meet up at Madame Mvashti's for dinner to tell what you have learned and discuss what you want to do next
who- the killer was probably a ghoul or ghoul-like creature
why- motivation is still unknown
- the killer left Zer-wedula a message to come to the Misgivings.
- The Misgivings is the home of Aldern Foxglove, the noble you rescued from the goblins.
- Tallis has the Sheriff send a man down to warn the farms around Foxglove manor to be alert for ghouls (though there is little they can do about it)
With a 20 or less Know(local) you learn:
-Foxglove Manor is 80 years old, and has been the seat of the Foxglove family the whole time. Some sort of tragedy struck the family a few decades ago, and no one’s lived there since. Common rumor holds that the place is haunted.
- Foxglove Manor is known as the “Misgivings” by some locals, particularly the Varisians. It certainly has a bad reputation, sightings of strange lights in the attic windows, muffled sounds of screaming from above and below, and even rumors of a huge bat-winged devil living in caves below the manor are but a few of the tales told about the place. The Foxglove family lived there as recently as two decades ago, but then a fire burned down the servant’s building, Cyralie Foxglove was found dead, burnt and dashed on the rocks below the cliffs behind the house and Traver Foxglove was found in his bedroom, dead by his own hand. The children, including young Aldern Foxglove, were sent away to be raised in Korvosa by distant relations.
- Aldern Foxglove recently returned to live in the manor, but he had a hell of a time hiring locals to aid him in the reconstruction and repair of the old building. Until Aldern moved back in, the place was cared for by a man named Rogors Craesby who came in three days a week from Sandpoint to air the place out, check for squatters, and make minor repairs.

It is the middle of the evening when you finish your dinner and conversations, at this point Tanrov enters the room.

What do you do about the investigation?
               about Tanrov?
Feel free to add anything I posted in the PM's that you think might be relavent.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:40, Tue 16 Mar 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 3 posts
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 17:28
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
In reply to DM (msg #74):

I walk into the room a little wide-eyed, looking at the surroundings and a little bit unstable walking.  ( As if unaccustomed to taking big strides )  I am looking for now a chair to sit in.  ( if there is one, once sitted, I'll have a look of relief on my face.  Then I will look at the others in the room in earnest.
Glum
 player, 347 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 21:32
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Are we sure, that's Tanrov... well, let's assume we are.  Tanrov, do you remember your little friend, the one in the attic?  The one who killed you?  Would you like to help us catch him and either bind him or end him, whichever is easier?"
Talis Revain
 player, 161 posts
Tue 16 Mar 2010
at 21:55
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tallis, looks at him critically, "Tanrov... may you have better luck than your predecessor."  Then to Cat and Glum, "You did catch his murderer, didn't you?  While we were out at the Sanatorium, did you interview the surviving partner(who found the bodies) or the distraught father?"
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 274 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 16:03
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to DM; Glum: Cat gives Glum a sharp look, not believing the spirit is at fault.]
Cat is mainly quiet through all the proceedings, feeling out of sorts and trying to figure things out. As Tanrov enters, she goes to hover about him, like a mother hen.
DM
 GM, 651 posts
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 19:44
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to Tanrov: While a ghost, you remember feeling your evil friends presence, but you believe he is still trapped in the attic.

You also know that Aldern Foxglove married a Varisian lady that an important local varisian was interested in.
]

Maras has been put to bed, after some thought, Cat and Glum realize she probably gave some of her own life force to power the raise dead (she lost con permanently).

You can deal with the Attic Whisperer if you want.  I'm looking for what the group wants to do now.  You know what has killed the people (a ghoul or ghoul-like creature), but beyond it's hatred of Zer, you don't know why or how the Runes fit into the picture.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:54, Wed 17 Mar 2010.

Glum
 player, 348 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Wed 17 Mar 2010
at 20:36
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum too is uncharacteristically glum.  "I'm not sure what is the greatest threat, the ghoul or the whisperer".  He sighed, "Okay let's go after the ghoul but I only hope that decision doesn't come back and bite me."
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 275 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Thu 18 Mar 2010
at 21:51
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat shrugs, "The ghoul poses the threat to the most people it seems. I think we need to deal with that." Though she doesn't believe it's a ghoul they're dealing with. Just doesn't add up. She gives Tanrov a long look and whispers, "Are you all right?"
Zer-wedula
 player, 281 posts
Fri 19 Mar 2010
at 00:11
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Then let us pack as much holy water as we can, and ruminate upon our most puissant spells ere we set forth.  For myself, I found Aldern Foxglove a trifle smarmy and would not be surprised to find him enmeshed in this."

All the while Zer-wedula gives Tanrov something just short of a glare.
DM
 GM, 652 posts
Fri 19 Mar 2010
at 22:10
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Ok, any specifics about this ghoul hunting expedition,
you each have some gp you can spend.

What do you want to buy, etc...
Tanrov
 player, 4 posts
Sat 20 Mar 2010
at 17:26
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
In reply to DM (msg #83):

Garth has very little to buy given that he as only 207 gp., but can he buy for the party or for himself some healing potions. He is willing to give up his mw hand axe in trade if that will help purchase any.
Talis Revain
 player, 162 posts
Sun 21 Mar 2010
at 23:32
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis, laughs at Glum, "Glum, you are the funniest dwarf, I've ever known...ghouls, coming back to bite you..." and chuckles.  "Now, let's talk about shopping and such, Glum, remove paralysis as much as your god will give you.  Holy water, consecrate, remove fear, protection from evil, detect undead, hide from undead might all come in handy.  Zer, a big scary haunted house will have things that go bump in the night, which probably can't be dazed, but it will have alot of doors to open and close.  You all might want to consider buying scrolls if you can find them of all these spells.

Finally, I think it might be a good idea to call Tanrov Garth.  I doubt the ordinary people will accept his situation.  So Garth, why don't you stay with me at the Rusty Dragon, and have you ever thought about goblin hunting...
"
Tanrov
 player, 5 posts
Mon 22 Mar 2010
at 19:56
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
TG, says to Talis, "Okay, I'll stay with you at the tavern"."Would you help me buy some stuff for this expedition regarding holy water. I need to sell my hand axe before we go, so that we have more then enough holy water".

This message was last edited by the player at 05:17, Wed 24 Mar 2010.

DM
 GM, 660 posts
Sat 27 Mar 2010
at 23:22
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Since nobody seems intent on more investigation or figuring out why...

So the group runs around town visiting people and purchasing stuff.  Everyone you visit is concerned about the murders, and those with enough skill and training understand what your purchasing (Undead!) and are concerned.  Otherwise the night passes uneventfully (for you at least) and you leave the next morning.  As you are passing "Rauno's Bows" (where Garth's killer and his wife Mara lived) the dogs start to whimper and look afraid.
Tanrov
 player, 11 posts
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 03:26
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
As the group walks by Rauno's Bows, Tanrov Garth looks around the place including the ground in front and gets a shiver down the spine.
Glum
 player, 353 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 09:05
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum raised a hand as the group passed the Bowmaker's shop.  The dogs were whimpering like they were being whipped.  He turned to Catessa.  "You know animals better than me, but what do you think's gotten into the dogs?"
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 278 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Sun 28 Mar 2010
at 13:37
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat goes over to the dogs and ruffles some fur lightly. "They may be picking up on yesterday's actions. Hopefully there are no more wandering spirits or ghosts."
DM
 GM, 662 posts
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 01:08
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Actually, Cat is fairly sure they are reacting to the current situation.  Probably something unnatural nearby.
Talis Revain
 player, 165 posts
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 01:11
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis looks around. Search +8
DM
 GM, 663 posts
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 01:19
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis finds an open window, early in the morning, in mid-late October.
Talis Revain
 player, 165 posts
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 01:21
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis says, "Got an open window, I think I'll check this out" and enters.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:21, Mon 29 Mar 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 12 posts
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 01:23
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov Garth will follow Talis in, moving quietly.
DM
 GM, 665 posts
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 01:38
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Inside you poke around and find in the front room 2 dead bodies.  Rauno has been bludgeoned to death and his wounds have dirt in them (like he was hit with a dirty rock).  There is an open cash box nearby[Private to Talis Revain; Tanrov: , with cash in it (48gp worth)].  On the counter is Mara's body, tied up with a rune carved on her.  The same rune as was on Banny Harker.  She also has a note pinned to her hand with an arrow ("Can this be? Can the fox be outfoxing the hunter? Strange— you seemed so confident against the boars of Tickwood…"), addressed to Zer-wedula.

[Private to Tanrov: Mara's still form brings up strangely exciting memories of sex.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:56, Mon 29 Mar 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 166 posts
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 01:41
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis opens the front door, "Zer, I think you might be right.  Lust might be lying in here, and your admirer left you a message."  He proceeds to add a note to the closed sign, "Death in the family".
Tanrov
 player, 13 posts
Mon 29 Mar 2010
at 01:58
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov stares at Mara's dead body, "I'm sorry your dead" in a quite sad voice.  [Private to GM: Garth is both thrilled with the thought of sex but Tanrov is horrified and say,"Yuk".  Its the kid in him.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:10, Mon 29 Mar 2010.

Zer-wedula
 player, 283 posts
Tue 30 Mar 2010
at 10:28
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Talis, you, me, and  Foxglove are the only ones who know firsthand of the boars.  We head towards Foxglove's estate.  Could he have  gone mad?"

Edit from DM; not really.  The whole town has heard of your forest exploit with the boar, it has made Zer-wedula famous among the fighting men of the town (and not just a wimpy wizard).

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:31, Tue 30 Mar 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 167 posts
Thu 1 Apr 2010
at 18:25
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"That's a bit of a stretch Zer.  We brought you back into town unconscious and barely alive.  Daviren brought the boar in and we had a feast in memory of Camlo.  But whatever, we need to report this.  You guys wait here, I'll go get the Sheriff."  Talis moves purposefully to the Sandpoint Garrison, trying not to attract too much attention (unless the group has other ideas and wants to just leave).
Tanrov
 player, 16 posts
Thu 1 Apr 2010
at 21:49
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
While Talis goes and tells the sheriff about the dead bodies, Tanrov/ Garth gets bored and starts to wander off in search of a lucky talisman.  He can be found back at the fortune teller's place.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:55, Thu 01 Apr 2010.

DM
 GM, 667 posts
Fri 2 Apr 2010
at 18:57
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat, Glum and Zer-wedula are left in the cold and damp predawn darkness with the bodies.  The light fog seems eerie from what might be hiding and watching behind it.  (You have till sat to post what you want to do before the Sheriff arrives)

Talis wakes up the Sheriff [Private to Talis Revain: (and gets a glimpse of Kaye Tesarani (the madame of "The Pixie's Kitten"- Brothel in his bed before she dives under the covers)], who is at first angry "I told you I was not to be disturbed" (before he opened the door).  But when the reason is explained he becomes all business, "Damn, another so quickly.  At least Chopper took a couple of days between murders.  This is not going to sit well with the town."  The Sheriff will round up some guards while Talis gets Father Zantus.  When the Sheriff arrives he will look around and ask where Garth is (obviously Garth is a prime suspect - having an affair with a married exgirlfriend, being stabbed by her husband, etc...).  He also asks, "So if it isn't Garth, what is the motive and what does the rune mean?"

Father Zantus is in the middle of daily prayers and can't be disturbed for a bit, but comes as soon as he is able.  He will have a couple of Speak with Dead spells memorized, so post what questions you want to ask.  Each character may each ask each victim 1 question.

Finally, Talis gets his friend Daviren Hosk to come and snoop around outside with tracking.

[Private to Tanrov: Why that place?

You poke aimlessly around a little bit with no luck.  Eventually you hear in the quiet, cold, damp morning streets the tramp of many feet go by (the guards going to the crime scene).  As the streets quiet down again, you get the sense of being watched, but the only thing you notice is a patch of fog on top of the fortune tellers house moving.  As you are quietly observing this, the young assistant, Maras comes out the backdoor and starts looking up.  She doesn't notice you.  She looks pale and sad.
]

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:29, Fri 02 Apr 2010.

Glum
 player, 354 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Fri 2 Apr 2010
at 19:48
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Feeling helpless, Glum begins preparing to give the bodies the last rites and send them on their journey to the afterworld with all due ceremony.  When the good father arrives, he gracefully and graciously moves aside for the father to continue.  When the sherriff arrives, he will say coldly, "If we knew who had done this, our work would be done".  He doesn't know what questions to ask.  He leaves that to the others.  He's a priest, not a policeman.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:40, Sat 03 Apr 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 169 posts
Fri 2 Apr 2010
at 20:35
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis offers to the Sheriff that, "We could try to keep it quite."
Tanrov
 player, 17 posts
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 04:26
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
It is the only place Tanrov/ Garth could think about that might have lucky talismans ie. lucky rabbits foot, coin or horseshoe etc.

[Private to GM: Is the fog over the fortune tellers house only over that house and not around any where else?  If not, Garth will leave and get back to the crime scene and tell Talis and the others what he saw, suggesting, that they should check it out.]
[Private to Tanrov: No, the fog is everywhere, it's early morning in the fall in a coastal town, they almost always have some degree of fog or mist.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:42, Sat 03 Apr 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 170 posts
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 19:10
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis will ask both victims the same question, "Why were you killed?"
Tanrov
 player, 18 posts
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 19:52
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov will ask, Who killed you both and why?
Glum
 player, 355 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sat 3 Apr 2010
at 20:33
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum frowned when he heard that answer and now he did know what to ask.  He asked each, "Do you believe that he/she is telling the truth as he/she sees it?"  He hadn't heard of spirits lying in such circumstances, but it paid to be sure.

Edit by DM;
Please ask another question, Speak with dead always reveals the truth (as far as the person would have known.)  They can be cryptic or choose not to answer (if they make the will save and don't WANT to answer), but they cannot outright lie without POWERFUL MAGIC.  Glum would know this.


OOC Glum DOES know this, he's asking what each believes of the other.  Given that they seem to have died together, their belief that the different answers are true is significant.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:43, Sun 04 Apr 2010.

Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 279 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 00:04
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Earlier

While people were running about getting other people, Cat turns to Zer, "Though your hunt is widely known, it's odd that the note referenced it."

After the Speak with dead spell is cast.

Cat watches in minor horror at the scene. Death should be final and respected. That said, she reviews what is known to try and come up with good questions.
"Can you describe your murder?
Glum
 player, 356 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 18:59
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum asked Mara, "Was Rauno there when you were killed?  Was he alive or dead?"
DM
 GM, 671 posts
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 21:52
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Both Banny Harker and Mara had the rune carved on them (and tortured) before they were killed.

Mara (tied up with a rune carved on her)
"Why were you killed?"- Because She wanted me dead.
"Who killed you?"- An undead guy.
"Can you describe your murder?"- Yes (and if I was mean, that would be the answer)
         Pain as he carefully carved into my skin. He said, I was on Her list and then he strangled me.
"Was Rauno alive or dead when you were killed?"- "Dead."

Rauno(bludgeoned to death and his wounds have dirt in them)
"Why were you killed?"- My wife wanted my shop for herself.
"Who killed you?"- My wife's earth elemental companion.
"Can you describe your murder?"- I tried to sneak in to get some money, but my wife was waiting and sic'd her earth monster on me.  I was tired from my fight with Garth and it easily beat me.  She gloated about how her plan worked before she had her monster kill me.


Looking under a counter you find a hole in the floor.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:58, Sun 04 Apr 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 20 posts
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 21:56
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov returns to the crime scene.  Is the hole, big enough for T/G to fit into?  If so, Garth will go in and search the hole.  Is there a tunnel going from the hole to somewhere?
DM
 GM, 672 posts
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 22:01
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
The hole leads to the area beneath the house (the crawl space), there is no apparent hole in the ground.  It is cramped and dirty in the crawl space underneath the house, does Tanrov/Garth crawl down and explore?

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:47, Sun 04 Apr 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 21 posts
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 22:21
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Yes, Tanrov will go down the hole and explore for the group.
Talis Revain
 player, 171 posts
Mon 5 Apr 2010
at 04:03
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
As Tanrov/Garth is below, Talis sticks his head down and quietly says, "You know you're a lot bigger than an 11 year old now.  Hmm, Her list, now that's interesting.  So what do 3 con men, Harker and Mara have in common.  We also need to consider how Rauno, Katrine Vinder and the bodyguard fit in."
DM
 GM, 673 posts
Mon 5 Apr 2010
at 15:08
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
The group spends a few hours with this investigation.  The connection between Garth and the victims makes the Sheriff intent upon getting to the facts before letting Garth leave.

Is there anything anybody wants to do in that time?

Tanrov/Garth you get dirty and scratched from crawling under the house, but otherwise find nothing.  Sometimes a crawl space is just a crawl space.
Glum
 player, 357 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Mon 5 Apr 2010
at 15:48
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum muses, "You know, I think we can take them at their word.  Mara killed her husband before this undead guy killed her. Perhaps the husband's death was not connected to the others."
Zer-wedula
 player, 284 posts
Tue 6 Apr 2010
at 10:32
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"I  still think the answer lies at Foxglove's manor.  The twist now is who is she?"
Tanrov
 player, 22 posts
Tue 6 Apr 2010
at 17:22
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
At least Tanrov/ Garth got dirty, it is the kid again just don't make him take a bath, he hates baths.  "I have no idea how all of these people fit together."

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:55, Tue 06 Apr 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 172 posts
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 19:40
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
While they are waiting, Talis will go have a chat with Ibor Thorn, maybe asking about his dead partner Banny Harker will provide a connection.
DM
 GM, 674 posts
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 19:44
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis tracks down Ibor and convinces (diplomacy = success) the man to talk with him.  Ibor can confirm that Harker had frequent midnight trysts with Katrine, but although Ven’s a possessive father, Ibor doesn’t think he’s capable of doing what was done to Harker.  Ibor really wasn't sure if Banny was serious about Katrine or not.

Just as the group is getting ready to leave, again, the Sheriff will bring to the farmer Gump a dirty, wild eyed Varisian who smells of booze.  When he sees the Heroes of Sandpoint he starts babbling;

"Mumble Mumble Scarecrow,
Alone in the maize.
Sleeping in the daytime,
A stitched man he stays.
But when the moon she rises,
Up Mumble gets.
He shakes his hands at first
And moves his feet the next.
And when the dog is snoring,
And when you’re fast asleep,
Mumble Mumble Scarecrow
Will find you good to eat.
"

After you calm him down you get he following story; how the southern farmlands have become plagued by foul walking scarecrows that stalk the night. All the farmers knew that the problems were coming from the old Hambley place—things “just ain’t been right there for a few days now”—but when a group of us paid the Hambley farm a visit yesterday evening, we were attacked by folk that looked like corpses but fed like starving animals." At this point, Grump’s worked himself into a lather again and shrieks, “They even ate the dogs!

The farms in question are the ones closest to Foxglove Manor (with the Hambley farm being the closest) and are more or less on the way.  The Sheriff will also tell you that the man he sent to warn the farms has not returned.

You notice in Sandpoint the people are nervous and on edge.  As you travel south the usually friendly farmers are suspicious and fearful.  Do you wish to talk to any of them and what do you ask/say?

working on the map

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:39, Wed 07 Apr 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 23 posts
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 23:08
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov/ Garth is ready to go.  Our next stop better be the farm nearest Foxglove's place.  Even though the old man and what he said gave T/G the shivers.  Is this what adventuring is like, getting the shivers everytime you turn around than Garth must have been very brave.
Glum
 player, 358 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Thu 8 Apr 2010
at 08:52
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Right", said Glum with a grim grin, "Where's me pitchfork?  Yes, Tanrov, it is, but this isn't adventuring, this is just plain doing what needs to be done.  We'll need oil and torches as well as our usual stuff."
Zer-wedula
 player, 286 posts
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 00:43
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"I recommend burning the scarecrows by day and finding a defensible house for the night.  Let the dogs sniff out the corpses.  Start with the farm the sheriff sent his man to."
DM
 GM, 676 posts
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 18:45
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Hinterlands map
http://psimancz.pbworks.com/f/...+Hinterlands+Map.pdf
or
http://media.photobucket.com/i...Hinterlands.jpg?o=22

Talis tries to use his charm (ie:Diplomacy) to gain information from a farmstead, but gets a door slammed in his face.

Cat, Zer and Glum all notice the various homemade wards against evil.

After the group passes over the Soggy river they encounter 1 farm before they get to the Hambley farm.  It is deserted.  A quick scout shows signs of violence in the main house, but no bodies.  The dogs (except for garious) begin to whine, showing signs of being nervous.

Players map of the Hambley farm
http://www.mediafire.com/?inv72dtych2

The Hambley farm is the western most farm, at the edge of the Whisperwoods on the Foxglove river.  You come out of the woods and can see the farm house and barn about 500' to the SW surrounded by fields of tall stalk plants that transform the paths between them into oppressive tunnels.  Once you enter the fields you could easily become lost.  It is late afternoon and the sun is casting long shadows.  The paths are 10' wide dirt paths, since the day has been dry they are packed and easy to walk on (not muddy).  The fields are considered difficult terrain(x2 movement, no charging).  The dogs are very nervous.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:30, Fri 09 Apr 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 24 posts
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 22:33
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov will ready a torch for use when it gets dark.  I'd like to know marching order as to not destroy either Glum's or Talis's vision when I light the torch.  Does anyone have chalk or string so that we can keep from getting lost. Maybe even someone go at directions would help as well.
Talis Revain
 player, 173 posts
Sat 10 Apr 2010
at 02:52
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis reaches over and cuts off a stalk, "We can leave 1 or more cuttings to show our path.  The question Cat is, do you want to move through the fields and watch our flank or stay with the dogs so they attack, instead of running away?"
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 281 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Sat 10 Apr 2010
at 20:11
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat looks at the team, then the field, "I think Gar and I will take a flank. Just tell us where we can best be used." Maybe foolish.
Zer-wedula
 player, 287 posts
Sat 10 Apr 2010
at 23:43
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Your torch will only help you and Cat.  Maybe you should take the opposite flank or point.  I suggest point....the light will draw out the opposition and you can burn the stalks if needed."
Zer-wedula looked at Talis and Glum and asked, "Do either of you want an increase to your strength?"
He turned to Cat, "You should take all the dogs, you and Garious will handle them best."
Tanrov
 player, 25 posts
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 00:50
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov will take point with the torch.  He'll walk quietly and stealthy if possible with sword out in one hand while in the other is the shield and torch.  Looking every which way for TROUBLE.  He's ready to set the stalks on fire if need be as well.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:53, Sun 11 Apr 2010.

Glum
 player, 359 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 11:21
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum said, "An increase in strength would be helpful, but I understand it's short lasting, and probably best reserved until we're close to needing it."
DM
 GM, 677 posts
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 16:20
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
The group heads into the maize maze (it's not really a maze, I just wanted to use that line).

Cat- the plants do slow the dogs down to 30' and no charging.  It also reduces visibility to only 10' or so.

The group heads in, Talis and Tanrov/Garth in front, Glum and Zer-wedula behind while Cat and the dogs range out on the flank (right or left).  The dogs are fairly noisy as the crash through the plants.  The group see ahead about 50' to a 4 way intersection.  There is a scarecrow tied to a post/cross at the intersection.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:48, Mon 12 Apr 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 174 posts
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 18:22
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis is going to give Garth/Tanrov the 18 str long composite bow you got off the bugbear at Thistletop.

"Tanrov, cover me with this hunk of an over-sized excuse for a bow, I'll go in and check it out."  Move forward, ready to attack anything that may jump out as I move forward to poke the scarecrow.
Tanrov
 player, 26 posts
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 18:49
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Okay, I was wondering what to do with the scarecrow anyway,Tanrov puts down on the ground the sword, torch and shield in order to handle the bow.  Actually Tanrov will put sword and shield away on his person while just putting down the torch.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:27, Tue 13 Apr 2010.

DM
 GM, 678 posts
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 19:27
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis carefully moves forward, polearm at ready.  The shadows cast by the sun seem like they could hold all sorts of things.  But the only thing you hear are the dogs with Cat, moving through the plants.  Talis get's up to the scarecrow and carefully pokes it... and finds it to be just a scarecrow.  Looking down all 3 paths, the ones to the east and west both curve gently south, while the path to the south goes straight until it curves to the west.
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield: Cat can tell the dogs are not happy.  Even Garious doesn't like it here.  She can also sense the unnatural lack of creatures (birds, etc...) that should be around at this time of year.]

E, W or S?
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 282 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 22:15
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat follows along, reigning in Gar now and then. She calls out, "Our canine friends don't like it here, Less than I. And I can boost someone's strength for a bit." After a few beats, "It's too quiet. No birds or insects."

West gets my vote.
Tanrov
 player, 27 posts
Tue 13 Apr 2010
at 01:28
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
West is fine with me.
Glum
 player, 360 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Tue 13 Apr 2010
at 09:23
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum nods, "West is as good a direction as any.  Let's go that way."

OOC Post number 2000 yay!
DM
 GM, 679 posts
Tue 13 Apr 2010
at 10:23
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum gets a 2000 cookie, yum

It looks like just a typical scarecrow for this area.  So the party heads west, which curves into a southward direction.  After about 300' you approach another 4 way intersection that has a tree and some berry bushes at 2 of the corners.  Suddenly, the party hears a noise (a horrible shriek) to the right of the intersection in the field near where Cat is (maybe 30' or so away in the field).

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield: You come upon a scarecrow that is off the path about 10' and partially hidden by the plants.  Before you can do anything, this one turns it's head and wrenches free from the twine that binds it to the post and drops down next to a dog.  There is a smell of death on it, but not enough to make you gag.
Please read the Handle Animal skill for pushing animals.  Only Garious will attack, the rest must be pushed
]

Round 1
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield: ScarecrowGhoul attacks a dog and wounds it, dog is paralyzed.]


Tactical Situation
The party (- Cat and he dogs) is on the path an unknown(30' or so) distance from the action in the field.
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield: Cat is 10' from a scarecrow ghoul attacking the lead dog.  The other dogs are one on each side of you 5'-10' distant.

Paralyzed with horror, Cat is slow to react - you have the lowest initiative, so please post your action as a PM to me, thanks.
]






Everyone post,

<AND DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE AC AND HP(CURRENT/TOTAL)>

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:38, Tue 13 Apr 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 28 posts
Tue 13 Apr 2010
at 21:27
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov/Garth will put the bow on his back while taking his sword and shield out and then move carefully towards Cat and the dogs.  His AC is 18 and his hit points are 44.
Zer-wedula
 player, 288 posts
Tue 13 Apr 2010
at 23:45
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
AC 11 (15 soon) 41 hp


Zer-wedula mutters something and casts Mage Armor.
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 283 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 00:11
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat: AC 18 HP 26
Gar: AC 20 HP 30


[Private to DM: Basically, Gar should bite +2 to hit, 1d6 +3 damage.
Cat will try to call out and let loose with an eldritch blast: BAB 3, DEX +3, 2d6 damage, I think.
]pm
Glum
 player, 361 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 09:20
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
AC 16 HPts 33

Glum casts Bless on the party (except Catessa who is not with us). (Add +1 to to hit rolls and save v fear effects)
Talis Revain
 player, 175 posts
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 09:30
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis looks around for an ambush and delays until he ears something more than the dog yelp, but seeing that Zer and Glum aren't moving, he will drop his polearm and move after Tanrov/Garth with a "Stay in pairs".  He draws hi sword and activates his shield ring as he moves toward the sound.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:01, Wed 14 Apr 2010.

DM
 GM, 680 posts
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 19:25
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
In the distance(hundreds of feet), around the farm(the echoes make it difficult to determine direction), other(2-4) shrieks are heard.

Round 1
Glum Casts bless and then looks around.

Zer-wedula Casts Mage Armor and then looks around.

Tanrov/Garthdrops his bow and runs into the field drawing his weapon.

Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious [Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Tanrov: Tanrov arrives just as Cat and Garious are attacking a dwarf shaped scarecrow that is savaging a paralyzed dog.  Cat fires a blast that hits and does 7 dam.  Garious then moves in and misses.  Dogs 1 and 2 just slink back and growl while dog 3 just takes off through the field to the east.]

dogs 1-4
Zer, Talis and Glum hear something coming from the fight but have no time to react as dog3 just burst out from the field, runs across the path into the other field and out of sight(heading east).

Talis moves after Tanrov, dropping his polearm, drawing weapon and activating shield.


Round 2
dwarf Scarecrow Ghoul
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Talis Revain; Tanrov: the dwarf Scarecrow Ghoul is surrounded, and reacts with a hiss and some threatening gestures.  But seems irresistibly drawn to the scent of the blood coming from the paralyzed dog.  It savages the dog with 3 more attacks and pulls out it's heart and starts eating.]


Taking advantage of the situation, Talis, Tanrov/Garth and Cat/Garious combine to destroy the dwarf scarecrow ghoul.


Dogs3      -Dead
Dogs4      -ran away

A couple of notes;
-don't forget, you can do move actions.
-using an Elditch Blast in a threatened square provokes an Aoo, and shooting from the back of a dog in melee counts.
-You must state you are using Frightful Blast or Sickening Blast (1 only) if you want to use them.
-The dogs will be useless in combat with ghouls unless someone controls them.

The group is standing in the field around a dead dog and a destroyed ghoul that used to be a dwarven farmer.  It's shrieks have obviously alerted other ghouls around the farm.  There is a 4 way intersection nearby with paths leading NE(where you came from), NW, SW and SE.  The farm house is south.

Even a cursory examination shows this ghoul is fairly new, probably having been infected just a few days ago and just recently dead/turned into a ghoul.
Glum
 player, 362 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 19:56
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum examines the dead ghoul to see whether he knows who he was before.
DM
 GM, 681 posts
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 21:47
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
You don't recognize him by sight, but since there aren't that many dwarven farmers around (ok, only 1), this must be him.  He was new and there was only him and his wife on a farm south of the Soggy River by the Whisperwoods.
Glum
 player, 363 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 22:34
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Only one place he could be from", suggested Glum.  "Guess we go there if we don't meet all the ghouls here."
Talis Revain
 player, 176 posts
Thu 15 Apr 2010
at 08:31
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis get's concerned at everyone standing around in the field, "Come on, let's get back to the path."  He goes back to the intersection, picking up his polearm on the way.  "South west?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:57, Thu 15 Apr 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 29 posts
Thu 15 Apr 2010
at 20:53
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov goes back and picks up the bow heading Southwest
DM
 GM, 682 posts
Thu 15 Apr 2010
at 22:05
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
As you move around to the SW, you see about 60' ahead a scarecrow on the left side of the path.  Talis again says "cover me" and advances forward.

Is Cat going to be on or off the path?  with or without the dogs?
I will wait for Ca to respond...

A couple of notes;
-don't forget, you can do move actions.
-using an Elditch Blast in a threatened square provokes an Aoo, and shooting from the back of a dog in melee counts.
-You must state you are using Frightful Blast or Sickening Blast (1 only) if you want to use them.
-The dogs will be useless in combat with ghouls unless someone controls them.

Zer-wedula
 player, 289 posts
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 00:10
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Again Zer-wedula mutters something and takes the torch.

"We are being played," he says as he lights some of the stalks.  "No more.  If you can take to the air do so.  Find the farmhouse.  Find the nexus."

He moves ninety degrees counter clockwise and continues to light stalks. "The farmers are dead.  One dog is dead, the rest nervous.  We burn, control the situation, and kill.  Otherwise we are in someone else's trap."
He pauses, surveys his comrades.  "Yes?"
Tanrov
 player, 30 posts
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 02:40
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov/Garth will cover Talis.  After putting away sword and shield.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:33, Fri 16 Apr 2010.

Glum
 player, 364 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 09:09
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum nodded and grinned grimly.  "Told you we needed torches and pitchforks."
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 284 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 11:25
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat goes off a short bit, trying  to not wander off and get separated to see if the missing dog is easily tracked. Seeing her comrades plan, she warns, "If you happen to catch the fields ablaze. it might spread to the forest."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:34, Fri 16 Apr 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 177 posts
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 20:59
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis, "Zer, could we hold off on burning the field until we see an exit.  We might need to back track"

As Cat rides off, "Cat, it's just a dog.  Rations on the paw.  It probably has a better chance of getting out of the field alive than we do if we set it on fire."
Tanrov
 player, 31 posts
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 21:27
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Come On Zer, Do you really want to start the fire with no natural fire breaks around.  Glum, he doesn't need any encouragement to start the fire, come on really, he's posed ready now. Tanrov says rather shoutedly amongst all the chao.  Let us retire to a more defensible position from which to assault these scarecrow ghouls first before we set anything a fire.
Glum
 player, 365 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 08:44
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Couldn't we just build a wall round the fields and wait fir the ghouls to come through the only gate we leave?" asked Glum.
Zer-wedula
 player, 290 posts
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 11:03
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Zer-wedula gives the torch back to Tanrov.  "This position looks uncomfortably familiar.  We should figure out how we can take control rather than wait to be attacked."
Glum
 player, 366 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 14:19
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Last time we were in this position, we negotiated a peace with the goblins.  I don't think we can do that for ghouls."  Glum frowned and scratched his head.  "Has anyone ever managed to negotiate with ghouls I wonder?"
DM
 GM, 685 posts
Sun 18 Apr 2010
at 22:57
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Only EVIL people have ever "negotiated with ghouls".

The group is quietly chatting as Talis moves up to the scarecrow and stabs into it.  You see him pull the weapon out and relax just a bit, it's just a normal scarecrow...

[Private to Zer-wedula: You see 2 forms about to jump out of the stalks around Talis, 5' and 10' from him.  You have initiative.]

Waiting for Zer to respond to a threat.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:39, Mon 19 Apr 2010.

Zer-wedula
 player, 291 posts
Mon 19 Apr 2010
at 19:13
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"I warn you and none of you EVER listen," Zer-wedula mutters through clenchd teeth as he casts Scorching Ray on the figure closer to Talis.

"The rest of you may want to deal with the other one."
Glum
 player, 367 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Mon 19 Apr 2010
at 19:26
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum says, "Well, let's see what we're dealing with. Hang on a moment" and with that, he begins to chant, holding his Holy symbol out in front of him.

Casts Detect Undead

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:23, Mon 19 Apr 2010.

DM
 GM, 686 posts
Mon 19 Apr 2010
at 20:23
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Round surprise
Zer-wedula casts a spell into the field, next to Talis (not more than 5' away) and a body falls to the ground smoking (and you thought they smelled bad normally, fried, they are even worse...).

Before Glum can start to cast his spell...
Ghouls jump out and attack.  Ghoul 2 charges out of the field and down the path, 20' from where Talis is.  Talis reacts with hardly a beat and hit's the thing, doing major damage (12hp) but not taking it down.  It bites at the rogue, but misses.  Ghoul 3, comes slinking out of the field and attacks from the opposite side as #2 (but doesn't get an attack this round).  Talis tries to hit it, but the plants get in the way and he misses.  A scarecrow ghoul comes running down the path and joins the fight, getting wacked by Talis for 10 dam.
Talis has combat reflexes and can make Aoo while flatfooted and gets multiple Aoo per round.
Ghouls 1-3 appear to be humans in rotten, torn, bloody and dirty nightclothes
           (1 adult male, 2 teenage males)
Ghoul 4 is a human sized scarecrow

Tactical Situation
Talis is surrounded by 3 ghouls, 1 on the near side and 2 injured ones on the far side.  Glum and Tanrov are 30' from the near ghoul.  Zer and Cat are 35' from the near ghoul.

            dam      status
Ghoul 1    - 15      destroyed
Ghoul 2    - 12
Ghoul 3    - 0
Ghoul 4    - 10


Everyone post- everyone got initiative on the ghouls,

<AND DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE AC AND HP(CURRENT/TOTAL)>

Talis Revain
 player, 179 posts
Mon 19 Apr 2010
at 21:36
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis will drop his polearm (free), draw out his sword (move), activate his ring shield (free) and attack 1 of the injured ones in front (standard), fighting defensively (–4 penalty on all attacks in a round to gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC), rolling a natural 15 to hit, 8 damage.  If it drops he will step forward 5' into it's spot.  "I listen Zer, I just don't want to be cooked by you.  Nice shot though."

Edit by dm;
Ghoul 2 drops

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:37, Mon 19 Apr 2010.

Glum
 player, 368 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Mon 19 Apr 2010
at 22:02
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum goes tumbling head over heels toward the nearest ghoul and attempts to kick its head clear off before landing lightly on his feet.

OOC... a sort of cinematic kung fu version of charging into combat.

23:00, Today: Glum rolled 7 using 1d8. Kick damage (doubled if critical).
22:59, Today: Glum rolled 23 using 1d20+6. Kick possible critical.
22:59, Today: Glum rolled 26 using 1d20+6. Kick.
22:58, Today: Glum rolled 19 using 1d20+7. Tumble.


Edit by DM;
Sorry Glum, but undead are immune to crits.  I know how you feel, I usually threaten undead and crit wimpy mooks that I don't need to crit on. Rarely do I seem to crit the BBEG.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:20, Mon 19 Apr 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 32 posts
Tue 20 Apr 2010
at 19:20
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov will drop the bow, charging forward attacking the ghoul after he draws his scimitar.

Tanrov to hit roll was a mod 22
His dmg was 4 + 6 = 10

Edit from DM:
between Glum and Tanrov the near ghoul #3 goes down leaving only ghoul4.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:11, Tue 20 Apr 2010.

Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 286 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Tue 20 Apr 2010
at 22:00
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat rides Gar closer to the ghouls, a bit, (5') and fires off an eldritch blast at the last ghoul.

17:56, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 5 using 2d6. damage lol.
17:55, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 8 using 1d20+6. attack. A miss, I'm sure.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:01, Tue 20 Apr 2010.

Zer-wedula
 player, 292 posts
Wed 21 Apr 2010
at 10:48
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Zer-wedula loads and fires his crossbow at the remaining ghoul, missing. "I would never cook you, Talis.  Nag and berate you, yes, but not cook."

03:45, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 11 using 1d20+5. crossbow.

[Private to Zer-wedula: Please include your rolls in your post]

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:43, Wed 21 Apr 2010.

DM
 GM, 687 posts
Wed 21 Apr 2010
at 17:48
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Round 1
Talis drops Ghoul 2 with a lucky (as he is not really trying to hit, mostly trying to not be hit) hit with his sword.

Zer-wedula shoots his crossbow and manages to hit the field, barely.

Tanrov/Garth rushes forward and damages Ghoul 3.

Glum charges forward and finishes the job with a precisely placed kick, looking good doing it, Ghoul 3 goes down.

Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious misses, but not by much.

SCGhoul 4 attacks Talis shrieking a horrible hungry noise, and manages to get a lucky claw hit in (1 dam).  For a moment, Talis seems to pause as a look of horror passes over his face, but he steels himself and continues fighting (made his will save vs paralyisis).

To everyones horror, the ghouls shriek is answered from 3 sides.  From behind Cat and Zer, SCGhoul 5 appears, and there is more noise behind it.  Ahead, you see SCG 6 and 7 appear, running toward the battle with an undead wail, 50' away.  From the west, you hear something crashing through the field, getting closer.

Tactical Situation
Talis is in combat with SCGhoul 4.  Glum and Tanrov are 10' from Talis/SCG4.  Zer and Cat are 40' from Talis/SCG4.  Behind Zer, Cat is SCG5, 50' away.  In front of Talis are SCG 6 and 7, 50' away.  Something is coming in from the west.

            dam      status
Ghoul 1     - 15      destroyed
Ghoul 2     - 20      destroyed
Ghoul 3     - 17      destroyed
SCGhoul 4   - 10
SCGhoul 5   -
SCGhoul 6   -
SCGhoul 7   -

Everyone post...
Z-Zer
G-Glum
C/g-Cat and garious if she is not riding him
T- Talis
R- tanRov
d- dogs 1,2
#- field border
$- normal scarecrow (stuffed with straw)
numbers- Scarecrow Ghouls

            ?8+?
          # 5#
          #  #
          #  #
         #  #
         #  #
         #  #
        #  #
        #  #
        #  #
       #  #
       #dd#
       #ZC#
      #  #
 ?9?  #  #
      #  #
     #  #
     #GR#
     #  #
    #  #
    #T4$
    #  #
     #  #
     #  #
     #  #
      #  #
      #  #
      #  #
       #  #
       #67#
       #  #
       #  #

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:21, Wed 21 Apr 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 180 posts
Wed 21 Apr 2010
at 18:16
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis will use expertise, shifting 3 from attack to ac, then attack...nat 7

"Tanrov, help Cat and Zer, they aren't trained for this, and don't let them hit you (fight defensively)."  5' step back toward the group.

DM: yep, it missed

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:21, Thu 22 Apr 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 33 posts
Wed 21 Apr 2010
at 18:50
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov will move towards Zer and Cat, keeping an eye out for what is coming West.  I will fight defensively, yelling for "Cat and Zer to get behind me"

I'm using my scimitar two-handed now.

AC:17
HP:44

Zer-wedula
 player, 293 posts
Wed 21 Apr 2010
at 20:55
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
AC 15, 41 hp

Zer-wedula cackles and casts Bull's Strength on......Garious!  Then he puts the mighty canine between himself and the closest foe.
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 287 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Fri 23 Apr 2010
at 17:09
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat: AC 18 HP 26
Gar: AC 20 HP 30


Cat maneuvers on Gar to face the danger behind them. This is bad, real bad. She lets the big folk move about her as she fires an eldritch blast at the on coming ghoul.

13:07, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 4 using 2d6. damage.
13:06, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 15 using 1d20+6. attack.

Don't worry Zer, the halfling and dog will protect you.

Glum
 player, 369 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Fri 23 Apr 2010
at 18:26
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
AC16 HPts 33

Glum waits for the arrival of the ghoul in the field (ooc number 9) and tries to punch it, but neither blow lands.

19:24, Today: Glum rolled 11 using 1d20+6. Second blow.
19:23, Today: Glum rolled 7 using 1d20+6. First blow.
If it's possible to fumble with a natural weapon, the first blow is a fumble.

DM
 GM, 688 posts
Fri 23 Apr 2010
at 18:41
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Round 2
Talis isn't quite so lucky and misses.

Zer-wedula casts a bulls str spell on Garious.

Tanrov/Garth moves back toward Cat and Zer and takes up a defensive position.

Glum waits for the noise from the field, but sees nothing.

Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious hits SCG5 for 4 damage.

dogs 1, 2 are unsure, growling at the approaching undead, delay.

SCGhoul 4 attacks Talis shrieking a horrible hungry noise, and manages to get a lucky claw hit in (1 dam).  For a moment, Talis seems to pause as a look of horror passes over his face, but he steels himself and continues fighting (made his will save vs paralysis).

SCGhoul 5 charges forward, bloody claws reaching out and attacks dog1, hitting, but the dog doesn't yelp as it is paralyzed.

dogs 1(paralyzed), 2 2 starts barking at the ghoul, but doesn't attack.  It also doesn't run away.

SCGhoul 6 charges in and attacks, but Talis easily avoids the attack.

SCGhoul 7 seems heedless of the tactical situation and pushes past SCG6, giving Talis an Aoo, which hits hard for 12 dam.

SCGhoul 8 is the shriek following SCG5, it still has a chunk of dog it is chewing on, but drops it as it sees fresh prey.

SCGhoul 9 is seen as it comes crashing through the field.

Tactical Situation
see map below.

            dam      status
Ghoul 1     - 15      destroyed
Ghoul 2     - 20      destroyed
Ghoul 3     - 17      destroyed
SCGhoul 4   - 10
SCGhoul 5   -  4
SCGhoul 6   -
SCGhoul 7   - 12
SCGhoul 8   -
SCGhoul 9   -

Everyone post...
Z-Zer
G-Glum
C/g-Cat and garious if she is not riding him
T- Talis
R- tanRov
d- dogs 1,2
#- field border
$- normal scarecrow (stuffed with straw)
numbers- Scarecrow Ghouls
strike- paralyzed


          # 8#
          #  #
          #  #
         #  #
         #  #
         #  #
        #  #
        #  #
        #  #
       # 5#
       #dd#
       #RC#
      # Z#
      #  #
  9####  #
     #  #
     #G #
     #7 #
    # T#
    #64$
    #  #
     #  #
     #  #
     #  #
      #  #
      #  #
      #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:43, Fri 23 Apr 2010.

DM
 GM, 689 posts
Fri 23 Apr 2010
at 20:19
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Lets try this; still trying to figure out how to insert them into a post...

http://s972.photobucket.com/al...ds1.jpg&newest=1

http://s972.photobucket.com/al...rsfarmlandsPCmap.jpg

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:24, Fri 23 Apr 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 181 posts
Fri 23 Apr 2010
at 20:44
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Ok Glum, you can start turning undead now" in a worried voice "and Cat, now that you've used up all your doggy meat shields, retreat back to Glum."  Talis attacks 7, (15 to hit, 5 dam), then 5' steps back toward Glum.

DM: 7 is down

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:04, Fri 23 Apr 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 34 posts
Fri 23 Apr 2010
at 20:44
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
When Tanrov goes again he rolled a straight 10 without bonuses to hit and rolled a straight 5 w/o bonuses to damage.  This damage on ghoul 5.  If Zer or Cat with dog killed it before I do than I will fall back to take on 9.
Glum
 player, 370 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Fri 23 Apr 2010
at 22:04
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum steps up beside Talis and holds up his Holy Symbol and glaring at the two ghouls in front of him growls, "Begone"

OOC attempts to turn undead

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:02, Mon 26 Apr 2010.

Zer-wedula
 player, 294 posts
Sat 24 Apr 2010
at 10:54
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
AC 13, 49 hp with rage

06:50, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 11 using 1d10+3. damage.
06:48, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 21 using 1d20+7. raging bastard swrd vs ghoul 9.



Zer-wedula snarls and moves with great speed to meet ghoul 9 and deals it a mighty blow.  "I will handle this side!" he yells.

[Private to GM: raging now]
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 288 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Sun 25 Apr 2010
at 19:38
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat: AC 18 HP 26
Gar: AC 20 HP 30

Cat keeps Gar held tightly, for now. Not knowing how her invocations would work on undead, she keeps to simple eldritch blasts.

15:33, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 8 using 2d6. damage.
15:33, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 10 using 1d20+6. attack vs #4

DM
 GM, 690 posts
Mon 26 Apr 2010
at 05:36
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Round 2
Talis hits and downs SCG7

Zer-wedula moves and readies an action to hit SCG9

Tanrov/Garth moves forward to engage SCG5, giving it an Aoo (miss), doing 12 dam, destroying it.

Glum presents his holy symbol and turns, but does minimal damage 2 each.
Remember, from house rules, Glum does actual damage to undead, whch get a will save for half.  Unfortunately for you, he rolled poorly on damage AND the ghouls made their save for half.  It has a 30'r.

Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious miss.

SCGhoul 4 gets really lucky and hits Talis with a claw for 3 dam.
Talis needs to make a dc12 For save

SCGhoul 6 attacks, but Talis easily avoids the attack.

SCGhoul 8 charges, and misses.

dogs 1(paralyzed), 2 2 runs away as SCG8 charges in, into the field and out of sight.

SCGhoul 9 crashes it's way through the plants and, after taking 11 damage from Zer, bite's him for 7 damage.
Zer is immune to this makes a dc12 For save to avoid paralysis, but still needs a For save, dc 12 vs disease.

Tactical Situation
see map below.

            dam      status
Ghoul 1     - 15      destroyed
Ghoul 2     - 20      destroyed
Ghoul 3     - 17      destroyed
SCGhoul 4   - 14
SCGhoul 5   - 16      destroyed
SCGhoul 6   -  2
SCGhoul 7   - 17      destroyed
SCGhoul 8   -
SCGhoul 9   - 11

Everyone post...
Z-Zer
G-Glum
C/g-Cat and garious if she is not riding him
T- Talis
R- tanRov
d- dogs 1,2
#- field border
$- normal scarecrow (stuffed with straw)
numbers- Scarecrow Ghouls
strike- paralyzed
_ - body


          #  #
          #  #
          #  #
         #  #
         #  #
         #  #
        #  #
        #  #
        #8 #
       #R_#
       #d #
       # C#
      #  #
      #  #
      9Z #
     #  #
     #  #
     #__#
    #GT#
    #64$
    #  #
     #  #
     #  #
     #  #
      #  #
      #  #
      #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:23, Thu 29 Apr 2010.

Glum
 player, 371 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Mon 26 Apr 2010
at 09:20
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum sighs at the ineffectiveness of his attempt to drive back the ghouls through the power of his faith.  He tries again, this time with his feet and fists.

10:17, Today: Glum rolled 9 using 1d20+6. fist.
10:17, Today: Glum rolled 11 using 1d20+6. Foot.
(dratted dice)

Tanrov
 player, 35 posts
Mon 26 Apr 2010
at 18:45
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov takes on the lone ghoul in front of him by slashing into it.

Rolled a 19 and did maximum damage by rolling 12.
Rolled a 9, 1d20+10 & rolled a 6, 1d6+6


DM:Hurt, but still up...

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:40, Mon 26 Apr 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 182 posts
Mon 26 Apr 2010
at 20:30
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis freezes in place, paralyzed.
Zer-wedula
 player, 295 posts
Mon 26 Apr 2010
at 23:03
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
AC 13   42/49 hp
19:00, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 10 using 1d10+3. damage???.
19:00, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 12 using 1d20+7. raging bastard.
18:59, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 23 using 1d20+8. Fort save.


Shrugging off the effects of the ghoul's attack, Zer-wedula takes a step to his right and hacks mightily at his foe.
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 289 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Tue 27 Apr 2010
at 18:50
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat: AC 18 HP 26
Gar: AC 20 HP 30


Seeing the situation is not getting any better, Cat dismounts from Gar, firing off another energy blast.

14:47, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 4 using 2d6. damage.
 14:47, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 14 using 1d20+6. attack.  vs 8

DM
 GM, 692 posts
Tue 27 Apr 2010
at 19:24
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Round 3
Talis freezes in mid-swing, paralyzed with fear of the grave.
[Private to GM: rnds 000 left]

Zer-wedula misses.

Tanrov/Garth slashes with his scimitar for 12 damage on SCG8.

Glum misses both times, the ghouls are just too fast.

Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious dismounts and then hit's SCG8,finishing it off.

SCGhoul 4 and 6 turns their attention to Glum, getting a claw and a bite attack in for 4 damage.
Glum needs 3 for saves dc12 (1,2-paralyzation; 3-ghoul fever)

dogs 1(paralyzed)
[Private to GM: unparalyzed]

SCGhoul 9 goes to town on Zer, scoring 3 hit's for 10 damage.
Zer is immune to this makes a dc12 for save(x3) to avoid paralysis, but still needs a For save, dc 12 for the bite, ghoul fever.

Tactical Situation
see map below.

            dam      status
Ghoul 1     - 15      destroyed
Ghoul 2     - 20      destroyed
Ghoul 3     - 17      destroyed
SCGhoul 4   - 14
SCGhoul 5   - 16      destroyed
SCGhoul 6   -  2
SCGhoul 7   - 17      destroyed
SCGhoul 8   - 16      destroyed
SCGhoul 9   - 11

Everyone post...
Z-Zer
G-Glum
C/g-Cat and garious if she is not riding him
T- Talis
R- tanRov
d- dogs 1,2
#- field border
$- normal scarecrow (stuffed with straw)
numbers- Scarecrow Ghouls
strike- paralyzed
_ - body


          #  #
          #  #
          #  #
         #  #
         #  #
         #  #
        #  #
        #  #
        #_ #
       #R_#
       #d #
       #gC#
      #  #
      #  #
      #Z #
     #9 #
     #  #
     #__#
    #GT#
    #64$
    #  #
     #  #
     #  #
     #  #
      #  #
      #  #
      #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:24, Thu 29 Apr 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 36 posts
Tue 27 Apr 2010
at 21:36
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
With 8 down and out of the fight, Tanrov/Garth will go help Glum and Talis, but first swinging into #9.

Rolling a 17 1d20+10 = 27 To Hit
Rolling a 2  1d6 +6 = 8   To Damage

dm: 9 is down

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:08, Wed 28 Apr 2010.

Glum
 player, 372 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Wed 28 Apr 2010
at 11:51
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Somebody wanna take my place?" called Glum.  "Then I can get Talis moving again".  While he waited, he punched the ghoul stupid enough to have bitten him and also aimed a kick, which was slightly less effective due to not hitting and all.

12:48, Today: Glum rolled 5 using 1d8. Damage fist.
12:48, Today: Glum rolled 12 using 1d20+6. Foot.
12:48, Today: Glum rolled 19 using 1d20+6. Fist.
12:47, Today: Glum rolled 12 using 1d20+7. fort save gh fev.
12:47, Today: Glum rolled 23 using 1d20+7. second fort save par.
12:47, Today: Glum rolled 14 using 1d20+7. fort save par.


dm: 4 is down

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:10, Wed 28 Apr 2010.

Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 290 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Thu 29 Apr 2010
at 18:49
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat: AC 18 HP 26
Gar: AC 20 HP 30


Well, things are looking betting. Cat turns around and sees only one ghoul left (I think). She pats Gar, sending him running as she walks forward, sending another blast.

14:48, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 9 using 2d6. damage ?.
14:48, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 14 using 1d20+6. attack.

Zer-wedula
 player, 297 posts
Fri 30 Apr 2010
at 10:30
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
AC 13, 32/49 hp
06:27, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 4 using 1d10+3. dam.
06:26, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 18 using 1d20+7. attack ghoul 6.


Zer-wedula charges up to help Glum, smacking his remaining foe.
DM
 GM, 694 posts
Fri 30 Apr 2010
at 18:16
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Round 4
Talis is still paralyzed with fear of the grave.

Tanrov/Garth moves and attacks SCG9 with his scimitar for 8 damage.

Glum kicks SCG4  and takes it down, then steps behind Talis.

Zer-wedula with his barbarian speed, Zer-wedula can get into position to attack, but waits for Glum to move.  Then he moves forward to take Glums place and attacks SCG6, doing 4 dam.

Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious moves and shoots the last ghoul,

dogs1 shakes off the paralysis

Tactical Situation
see map below.

            dam      status
Ghoul 1     - 15      destroyed
Ghoul 2     - 20      destroyed
Ghoul 3     - 17      destroyed
SCGhoul 4   - 19      destroyed
SCGhoul 5   - 16      destroyed
SCGhoul 6   - 15      destroyed
SCGhoul 7   - 17      destroyed
SCGhoul 8   - 16      destroyed
SCGhoul 9   - 19      destroyed

Everyone post...
Z-Zer
G-Glum
C/g-Cat and garious if she is not riding him
T- Talis
R- tanRov
d- dogs 1,2
#- field border
$- normal scarecrow (stuffed with straw)
numbers- Scarecrow Ghouls
strike- paralyzed
_ - body


          #  #
          #  #
          #  #
         #  #
         #  #
         #  #
        #  #
        #  #
        #_ #
       # _#
       #d #
       #g #
      #  #
      #  #
      #  #
     #_C#
     #  #
     #_G#
    #ZT#
    #__$
    #  #
     #  #
     #  #
     #  #
      #  #
      #  #
      #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:05, Fri 30 Apr 2010.

DM
 GM, 695 posts
Fri 30 Apr 2010
at 18:23
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
As the last ghoul falls and silence returns to the field, Talis starts moving again (the paralysis only lasts a few rounds), the same thought flashes through everyones minds, "was that the last of them?"  As if in answer to your question, you hear the dog that ran off give a brief yelp of pain and suddenly be still (to the east).

Here are some maps;

http://s972.photobucket.com/al...ds1.jpg&newest=1

http://s972.photobucket.com/al...rsfarmlandsPCmap.jpg

One obvious fact is the 1st 3 ghouls are dressed differently the the rest.  They are dressed in torn, bloody and dirty nightclothes while the others are dressed as scarecrows.

What do you want to do?

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:19, Sun 02 May 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 183 posts
Sun 2 May 2010
at 04:15
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis shivers as the dog yelps, "Let's get to the farmstead to cast our spells.  I haven't been this scared since we fought that demon under Thistletop."  As he picks up his polearm and heads out he is heard to mutter, "Sweet Desna I hate ghouls."
Tanrov
 player, 37 posts
Sun 2 May 2010
at 19:57
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov grabs his shield, so his AC goes up and follows Talis towards the farmstead.  He mutters, "Sarenrae give me strength to destroy these SPAWN OF THE DEAD".

This message was last edited by the player at 18:56, Mon 03 May 2010.

Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 291 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Sun 2 May 2010
at 23:22
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat offers, "I can do some miner healing. And we should continue to be wary."
DM
 GM, 697 posts
Mon 3 May 2010
at 19:13
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
So the group heads toward the farmhouse.  You come out of the field into a farmyard with a 2 story house and barn.  It is obvious something is wrong as there are no animals or other noises typical on a farm.  The buildings look a little old and rundown, but the crop in the field looked very nice.  You were expecting a much nicer house for a farmer who should be rich.

[Private to Tanrov: You see movement in a 2nd floor window.]
Talis Revain
 player, 184 posts
Mon 3 May 2010
at 19:15
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis gathers everybody in the center of the largest open space he can find, getting out his bow and starts scanning the field and houses for ghouls.  "Now you can take time to heal us."
Glum
 player, 376 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Mon 3 May 2010
at 19:38
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Who needs healing?" asks Glum
Tanrov
 player, 38 posts
Tue 4 May 2010
at 00:17
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Talis there is movement within the second story window view," states Tanrov so all can hear.  "Cat, Zer or Glum do any of you have a CATS GRACE Spell you could put on me, I'm taking the lead and going towards the house, Talis guard that window, Cat you and Garious accompany me to the house and try the door."

If no one likes this plan than come up with another one.

AC18
HP44

This message was last edited by the player at 00:52, Tue 04 May 2010.

Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 292 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Tue 4 May 2010
at 11:17
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat looks about the area. This is supposed to be Foxglove manor? Did we take a wrong turn?" She shakes her head sadly at Tanrov.
Glum
 player, 377 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Tue 4 May 2010
at 11:51
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum shook his head, "Sorry, no... but who needs healing?"
Tanrov
 player, 39 posts
Tue 4 May 2010
at 18:13
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Before Tanrov Moves, "Clearly this isn't the Manor land, it's to poor for that but still we need to check it out nonetheless."
Talis Revain
 player, 186 posts
Tue 4 May 2010
at 21:10
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Hold on Tanrov, let's not empty our quiver of magic all at once.  And let's get healed before we go charging off."  But after we are healed, Talis will follow Tanrov with his polearm ready.
DM
 GM, 700 posts
Thu 6 May 2010
at 19:23
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
To speed the game along...

Glum pulls out the groups wand and starts using it.  He uses 4 charges (leaving 46) to heal Talis and himself fully and (getting lucky) Zer is healed 16 points (so Zer is at 1 damage).

Tanrov leads the way toward the farmhouse with Talis behind him.  As you approach it becomes evident that all is not well.  The door has been broken open, and hasn't been fixed.

I will post more soon...I am working on a map...
wasn't able to find one...so I'm going to wing it for now.


Pushing open the door the group sees an ordinary farm living room with older furniture, at odds with the wealth evident in the crops standing in the field.  Moving on, the kitchen proves to be a scene of horror and smells of death.  Farmer Hambley's mutilated body lies spread out on table.  Although the corpse is already decaying and swarming with flies, the Sihedron Rune is still plainly visible upon the man’s chest, as is a single scrap of parchment pinned to his tunic. The parchment bears the name "Zer-wedula".  Hesitantly, the note is unfolded;

“I fear you. I hate you. You must fear and hate me as well.  You may unmask me, so I must unmask you first.”

As you digest that news, a noise is heard from upstairs.  A little girl singing  a local kids song.
Talis Revain
 player, 187 posts
Fri 7 May 2010
at 19:38
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis has an extremely worried look and mutters under his breath, "Either that is the luckiest child alive, the toughest child-like thing able to survive in a ghoul infested farm or she is in charge of the ghouls."  Then comments on the farmer, "Hambley was known as a greedy penny pincher.  Mara killed her husband for his shop.  Banny Harker was a merchant who disturbed his neighbors by working late.  I don't think we are dealing with all the sins Zer, just 1, greed."

He will follow Tanrov upstairs if that is where he goes.
Tanrov
 player, 40 posts
Fri 7 May 2010
at 20:40
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov will go up the stairs with scimitar and shield ready.  "This is one creepy place", say Tanrov/Garth as he shivers.

Being a child myself would I know the song?  If I do, I'll start singing it before going up in order to coax the child down.
Zer-wedula
 player, 298 posts
Fri 7 May 2010
at 23:07
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Zer-wedula follows up the stairs, mentally juggling Charm Person and Touch of Idiocy in his head.

"Any plan if she is unlifed?" he asks.
Glum
 player, 378 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sat 8 May 2010
at 08:26
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Tanrov", said Glum, "Remember what killed you?  I think this is it again.  If it is, our best bet is to cut a big space around the house so the fire doesn't spread, then burn it down with the creature in it."
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 293 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Sat 8 May 2010
at 10:56
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat sighs, "We at least need to check in the child. Now." She starts up, alone if need be. She won't let another youngling die because of here
Glum
 player, 379 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sat 8 May 2010
at 11:47
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"No Catessa, if we go in, we go together, and we stay close to make sure nobody begins to look like the enemy."
DM
 GM, 701 posts
Sun 9 May 2010
at 16:53
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Kudos to Glum for a reference to the past, well done.  It may or may not be true, but it is well thought out.

Heading up the narrow stairs you hear the voice match Tanrov and start singing with him, but you can't tell if she is moving or not.  You can tell this would be a bad place to fight in.  Narrow halls and doors would make fighting with a larger(no penalty for light medium sized, 1 handed small sized) weapon difficult and movement/position would be very restricted.  A window at the top of the stairs illuminates, with the late afternoon sun, a hallway.  Bloody footprints from several individuals stand out as being a bad sign.  There is a death smell here as well.

The hallway runs the length of the house and ends in another dirty windows.  The windows are a poor quality glass, just another indication of the farmer's cheapskate spirit, as are the poorly made floor boards which creak as you step on them.  To the left there is a closed door, in the middle of the hall is a door to the right and a trapdoor to the attic (but no ladder).  At the far end is an open door on the left.  That is where the singing is coming from.  It stops and a small voice says, "Monsters", then silence.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:17, Sun 09 May 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 188 posts
Sun 9 May 2010
at 17:15
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis comments as you climb the stairs, "Glum, I like your fire plan better and better, but we do need to check on the child.  She could be lucky, very, very lucky."

Talis whispers "Tanrov, hold on, let's clear the doors as we go."  (Assuming he pauses) Talis will carefully open the 1st door.
Zer-wedula
 player, 299 posts
Sun 9 May 2010
at 20:19
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Zer-wedula loads his crossbow as quietly as possible.
DM
 GM, 702 posts
Mon 10 May 2010
at 02:54
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
The first door opens into a bedroom that has 4 beds in it, 1 of the beds looked unused, but the other 3 look lived in.  They also look died in.  There are dried blood pools on all 3 beds, but no bodies.  From the looks of it this was a boys/mens bedroom.  You think back to the 3 ghouls that attacked you wearing nightclothes.  Could this be where they were killed and turned into ghouls?

What do you do?
Glum
 player, 380 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Mon 10 May 2010
at 10:06
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum casts Detect Undead (OOC if it wasn't used up when DM cancelled it earlier.)

DM: You still have it, so you are casting it, will post later.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:56, Mon 10 May 2010.

DM
 GM, 703 posts
Mon 10 May 2010
at 20:32
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
It will take some time (a couple of rounds) for the spell to reveal much useful information, so what are the rest of you doing while Glum concentrates?  What is the marching order?  You are in a narrow (3' maybe) hallway.

Tanrov
Talis and Glum - in doorway
?
? - on stairs

[Private to Glum: You do detect a moderate undead aura(s).  But must concentrate to get more information.]
Talis Revain
 player, 190 posts
Tue 11 May 2010
at 18:44
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis will step forward into the room so he can swing his polearm better, and then wait for Glum to speak.

ooc:I thought Cat would be at the tail.
Tanrov
 player, 41 posts
Tue 11 May 2010
at 18:49
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov will step a side for Talis to go forward.
Glum
 player, 381 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Tue 11 May 2010
at 18:58
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum continues to concentrate
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 294 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Tue 11 May 2010
at 19:13
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat watches the steps and whispers to anyone, "Did you find the child?"
Zer-wedula
 player, 300 posts
Wed 12 May 2010
at 00:34
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Zer-wedula takes one step beyond the room and waits for Glum, crossbow ready.
DM
 GM, 704 posts
Wed 12 May 2010
at 19:12
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
PM to Glum and Cat

[Private to Glum: There is a ghoul under the near bed, what do you do (I mean in addition to what you say).]

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield: You hear the treads at the landing on the stairs creak, something is behind you.  You look and see a ghoul (adult human female, dressed in nightclothes) 10' behind you.  There is another figure behind her.  What do you do (I mean in addition to what you say).]

While we wait for Glum, Tanrov, Zer and Talis roll initiative (I have already rolled for cat and Glum).

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:46, Wed 12 May 2010.

Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 295 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Wed 12 May 2010
at 19:31
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to GM: Cat yells, "Ghoul!!" while firing off an energy blast.

15:28, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 7 using 2d6. damage.
15:28, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 22 using 1d20+6. attack.
]pm

DM;
Cat yells "Ghoul!!" and fires off a blast.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:59, Wed 12 May 2010.

Glum
 player, 382 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Wed 12 May 2010
at 23:51
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum raises his holy symbol and says to the Ghoul under the bed, "Begone foul creature."

[Attempting turning]

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:07, Thu 13 May 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 42 posts
Thu 13 May 2010
at 00:24
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov rolled a 6 for initiative
Zer-wedula
 player, 302 posts
Thu 13 May 2010
at 16:24
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
12:23, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 21 using 1d20+1. init.
DM
 GM, 705 posts
Thu 13 May 2010
at 18:47
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
I am placing the dogs outside, to alert you to a ghoul attack from outside.  These ghouls were already in the house.

Round surprise
Glum  turns and the ghoul under the bed screams, 10 damage on Ghoul1.

Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious  alerts the party to the attack from the rear and easily hit's for 7 dam on Ghoul2

Ghoul1, a teen male ghoul in nightclothes, is already inside polearm range, the ghoul reaches out from beneath the bed and tries to dig at Talis with his claws, but doesn't even come close from the pain and shock of Glum's positive energy.

Ghoul2, an adult female ghoul in nightclothes, steps forward 5' and tries to bite Cat, whose blast put her off her momentum and she also misses by a mile or so.

Ghoulx, an adult male ghoul, steps onto the landing behind Ghoul2.  He is dressed in plain but fine clothes, definitely not the clothes of a farmer, a merchant or something middle class maybe.  He sees Zer-wedula and smiles, "My master is looking forward to meeting you.  ATTACK!"  The last is said in a loud voice.

Tactical Situation
Cat is on a narrow stair fighting Ghoul2, with Ghoulx next in line.
Zer-wedula is at the top of the stairs and can look down both the hallway and the stairs.
Glum is in the doorway and can look down the hall or into the bedroom.
Talis is in the bedroom fighting Ghoul1
Tanrov was paying too much attention to the door where the singing was coming from and didn't get a high initiative, he can only look down the hallway.

It is a narrow hall and doorway,
to move through another persons square is treated as obstructed terrain(so x2 movement and no charging).
so for medium size weapons;
-2 handed/bludge or slash may not be used (not enough room to swing)
-2 handed/piercing may only be used in 1 direction and it is a full round action to change directions and take -4 to hit
-1 handed weapons take -4 to hit
-light weapons, no penalty
for small size weapons,
drop the restrictions by 1 level (so no penalty for 1 handed weapons)

            dam      status
Ghoul 1    - 10
Ghoul 2    - 7
Ghoul x    - 0


Everyone (except Tanrov can post for round 1);
<AND DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE AC AND HP(CURRENT/TOTAL)>

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:42, Sun 16 May 2010.

Zer-wedula
 player, 303 posts
Thu 13 May 2010
at 18:53
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Takes a shot at Ghoulx, "Who is your master?"  His bolt misses.
Talis Revain
 player, 191 posts
Fri 14 May 2010
at 20:36
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis drops polearm and draws his sword, hacking at the ghoul under the bed.
22 to hit, 1d8+4 dam.

DM: hit, ghoul1 destroyed

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:37, Fri 14 May 2010.

Glum
 player, 383 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Fri 14 May 2010
at 20:50
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Seeing Talis take care of the ghoul under the bed, Glum turns around and moves to back up Catessa and Zer-wedula
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 296 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Sat 15 May 2010
at 23:50
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat: AC 18 HP 26
Gar: AC 20 HP 30


The ghoul is a little too close for comfort for an energy blast, so Cat lashes out with her spear. She encourages Gar to attack as well.

19:43, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 7 using 1d6+1. damage.
19:43, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 18 using 1d20+5. attack. ghoul 2
19:48, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 8 using 1d20+1. attack for Gar. A miss, I assune.

DM
 GM, 706 posts
Sun 16 May 2010
at 03:31
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Round 1
Glum turns around in the narrow hallway and waits to see what will happen as there is no where for him to go.

Zer-wedula shoots and misses.

Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious  attacks Ghoul2 as a team, with Garious missing but setting Cat up for a solid hit (Though she finds her 2 handed spear difficult (-4 to hit) to wield properly on the narrow stairs.  Ghoul2 goes down.

Talis drops his polearm, pulls out his sword and smoothly skewers Ghoul1, 11 damage.

Ghoulx says "I'm surprised you don't know." as he steps forward and attacks with his claws and bite.  His bite almost connects, but Cat and Garious move as one and Cat manages to block the attack (Mounted Combat).  Showing an keen tactical intelligence, he switches to attacking Cat, but hits with only 1 of his claws for 2 dam.
Cat needs a For save dc13 or be paralyzed
At the Attack command...

Ghoul3, a concealed door next to Glum attempts to open and a ghoul  reaches out to try and bite him.  They push and pull on the door until the ghouls, with undead strength pushes it open.  She is a teenage(about 14) girl dressed in nightclothes in a closet.  The closet restricts access from the sides so only someone in Glums square (or in the bedroom through Glum's square) can attack.

Ghoul4, the door next to Tanrov opens and an adult female ghoul in night clothes attempts to bite him through the door, and misses completely.

Ghoul5, a teenage(17) female ghoul drops into the hallway from the attic, trying to claw at Tanrov, but can't get through his armor.

Tactical Situation
Cat is on a narrow stair fighting Ghoulx next in line.
Zer-wedula is at the top of the stairs and can look down both the hallway and the stairs.
Glum is in the doorway and can look down the hall or into the bedroom and is being attack by ghoul3.
Talis is in the bedroom
Tanrov is in the hallway being attacked from the front and side.

It is a narrow hall and doorway,
to move through another persons square is treated as obstructed terrain(so x2 movement and no charging).
so for medium size weapons;
-2 handed/bludge or slash may not be used (not enough room to swing)
-2 handed/piercing may only be used in 1 direction and it is a full round action to change directions
-1 handed weapons take -4 to hit
-light weapons, no penalty
for small size weapons,
drop the restrictions by 1 level (so no penalty for 1 handed weapons)

            dam      status
Ghoul 1    - 21      destroyed
Ghoul 2    - 14      destroyed
Ghoul 3    - 0
Ghoul 4    - 0
Ghoul 5    - 0
Ghoul x    - 0


Z-Zer
G-Glum
C/g-Cat and garious if she is not riding him
T- Talis
R- tanRov
numbers, X- Ghouls
strike- paralyzed
_ - body
# - wall

########
    #  #
  # #  #
###5#  #
  #R4  #
  TG3# #
  #ZCX #
########


Everyone post;
<AND DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE AC AND HP(CURRENT/TOTAL)>

Talis Revain
 player, 192 posts
Sun 16 May 2010
at 03:33
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis drops the sword, grabs his polearm and attacks over Glum, but misses.
Glum
 player, 384 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sun 16 May 2010
at 10:06
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum tried to fight like a tomcat versus Ghoul number three but sadly fought more like a baby goblin.

11:04, Today: Glum rolled 1 using 1d8. First blow damage.
11:04, Today: Glum rolled 8 using 1d20+6. Second blow unarmed.
11:03, Today: Glum rolled 24 using 1d20+6. First blow unarmed.

Tanrov
 player, 43 posts
Sun 16 May 2010
at 18:55
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov reacts with Garth's warrior trained reflexes and lashes out with his scimitar at the target in front,

17 to hit, 10 dam
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 297 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Mon 17 May 2010
at 17:34
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat: AC 18 HP 26
Gar: AC 20 HP 30


Cat feels the chill of the attack against her but shrugs it off. It, and the close quarters, throw her attack wide. And Gar barely seems to try. She hates to see the youthful looking of the ghouls.

13:27, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 5 using 1d20+1.
attack for Gar. 13:26, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 9 using 1d20.
attack. 13:26, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 24 using 1d20+5. fort save.

DM
 GM, 707 posts
Tue 18 May 2010
at 18:42
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Round 1
Tanrov/Garth deals 10 damage to Ghoul5

Round 2
Glum deals 1 damage to Ghoul3

Zer-wedula reloads and tries to shoot Ghoulx again; and again misses.

Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious  attacks Ghoulx as a team, but miss.

Talis drops his sword, picks up his polearm and tries to help Glum, but only hit's the doorway.

Ghoulx attacks with his claws and bite.  1 claw misses by a whisker, but the other 2 attacks miss completely.
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield: Cat notices a key hanging around his neck.]

Ghoul3, attacks Glum from the closet, and while the 2 claws miss, he dodges right into her bite, which does 4 damage.
Glum needs 2 dc 12 For saves, 1 vs paralysis, 1 vs disease

Ghoul4 and 5, both bite and claw at Tanrov, but can't get through his armor.

Tactical Situation
Cat is on a narrow stair fighting Ghoulx.
Zer-wedula is at the top of the stairs and can look down both the hallway and the stairs.
Glum is in the doorway and can look down the hall or into the bedroom and is being attack by ghoul3.
Talis is in the bedroom
Tanrov is in the hallway being attacked from the front and side.

It is a narrow hall and doorway,
to move through another persons square is treated as obstructed terrain(so x2 movement and no charging).
so for medium size weapons;
-2 handed/bludge or slash may not be used (not enough room to swing)
-2 handed/piercing may only be used in 1 direction and it is a full round action to change directions
-1 handed weapons take -4 to hit
-light weapons, no penalty
for small size weapons,
drop the restrictions by 1 level (so no penalty for 1 handed weapons)

            dam      status
Ghoul 1    - 21      destroyed
Ghoul 2    - 14      destroyed
Ghoul 3    - 1
Ghoul 4    - 0
Ghoul 5    - 10
Ghoul x    - 0


Z-Zer
G-Glum
C/g-Cat and garious if she is not riding him
T- Talis
R- tanRov
numbers, X- Ghouls
strike- paralyzed
_ - body
# - wall

########
    #  #
  # #  #
###5#  #
  #R4  #
  TG3# #
  #ZCX #
########


Everyone post;
<AND DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE AC AND HP(CURRENT/TOTAL)>

Talis Revain
 player, 193 posts
Tue 18 May 2010
at 18:45
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis will stop trying to actually do damage, instead he will try to support Glums attacks (Aid Another); 21 to hit.  "Mine's down, what's taking you so long?  Oh, I got paralyzed last time, so take your time."

DM: Success; Glum get's +2 to his attacks this round.


Since Glum has been paralyzed;

"Mine's down, what's taking you so long?  Oh, I got paralyzed last time, so take your time.  Oh #$%&, not you too Glum," pull Glum into the room, grab up my sword (dropping polearm), activate the shield (free action).  Use max expertise if possible).

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:39, Wed 19 May 2010.

Glum
 player, 385 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Tue 18 May 2010
at 23:44
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
00:43, Today: Glum rolled 24 using 1d20+7. fort save disease.
00:43, Today: Glum rolled 9 using 1d20+7. fort save paralysis.


Glum stopped moving.
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 299 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Wed 19 May 2010
at 14:51
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat: AC 18 HP 26
Gar: AC 20 HP 30


Cat is getting frustrated with her fight and needs something new. She pulls her bag of Magic Stones out attacks the ghoul with it. Gar's claws just don't seem to connect.

10:44, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 11 using 2d6+2. damage.
10:49, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 8 using 1d20+1. attack for Gar.

Tanrov
 player, 44 posts
Wed 19 May 2010
at 16:25
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov will continue to attack the ghoul he has been attacking before he switches to the other one.

rolled a 16 1d20+10 = 26 to hit
rolled a 5 1d6+4 = 9 to damage

AC: 18
HPS: 44

This message was last edited by the player at 16:33, Wed 19 May 2010.

Zer-wedula
 player, 305 posts
Sat 22 May 2010
at 01:49
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
AC 11
HP: 40/41

21:47, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 5 using 1d8. damage.
21:46, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 20 using 1d20+2. point blank crossbow shot into melee.


"I'm back, baby!" Zer-wedula shouts as he shoots a bolt into ghoul X.
DM
 GM, 708 posts
Sun 23 May 2010
at 17:38
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Round 2
Tanrov/Garth deals 9 damage to Ghoul5, which is destroyed.

Round 3
Glum is paralyzed [Private to GM: 0000- rnds]

Zer-wedula reloads and tries to shoot Ghoulx again; and does 5 dam.

Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious attack Ghoulx.  While Garious misses, Cat digs out 3 magic stones and throws 1 at Ghoulx (which provokes an Aoo - which misses).  The stone hit's with a tremendous force (11 dam) all out of proportion to it's small size.
The Bag of Magic Stones;
You pull 3 stones at a time out of the bag (standard action- no Aoo);
started with 150 stones (now at 147);
You may throw one as part of that action(normal ranged attack- provokes Aoo);
Stones remain magic for 30 minutes;
they may not be placed back in the bag;
they may be passed to others to use and may be used in a sling;
see the Magic Stone spell.


Talis drops his polearm, drags Glum into the room and picks up his sword and activates his shield.

Ghoulx howls in agony from the magic stone, the special energies of the magic being anathema to his undead nature.  "I will feast on your bones little one, Lord Foxglove only wants the elfblood for his personal pleasure", not realizing what he is saying in the confusion of the moment.  He lashes out with 2 claws and a bite; and all 3 miss.
Man, I am rolling terrible

Ghoul3, jumps out of the closet and attacks Zer-wedula, hitting all 3 times and doing 12 damage.  Ghoulx screams, "Don't kill him he is for the master."
Zer-wedula needs 4 dc 12 For saves, 3 vs paralysis, 1 vs disease
Ouch, sorry but this is where all my luck went 18,19,20 and near max damage.  But at least I didn't confirm the 20 on the bite...


Ghoul4, bites and claws at Tanrov, but can't get through his armor, she can't even get around his shield.
...and back to horrible again, didn't roll higher than a 6 to hit.  Pathetic.

Tactical Situation
Cat is on a narrow stair fighting Ghoulx.
Zer-wedula is at the top of the stairs and can look down both the hallway and the stairs, fighting ghoul3.
Glum is on the floor in the bedroom, paralyzed.
Talis is in the bedroom, sword ready
Tanrov is in the hallway being attacked from the front and side.

It is a narrow hall and doorway,
to move through another persons square is treated as obstructed terrain(so x2 movement and no charging).
so for medium size weapons;
-2 handed/bludge or slash may not be used (not enough room to swing)
-2 handed/piercing may only be used in 1 direction and it is a full round action to change directions
-1 handed weapons take -4 to hit
-light weapons, no penalty
for small size weapons,
drop the restrictions by 1 level (so no penalty for 1 handed weapons)

            dam      status
Ghoul 1    - 21      destroyed
Ghoul 2    - 14      destroyed
Ghoul 3    - 1
Ghoul 4    - 0
Ghoul 5    - 19      destroyed
Ghoul x    - 16


Z-Zer
G-Glum
C/g-Cat and garious if she is not riding him
T- Talis
R- tanRov
numbers, X- Ghouls
strike- paralyzed
_ - body
# - wall

########
    #  #
  # #  #
###_#  #
  #R4  #
 T 3 # #
_G#ZCX #
########


Everyone post;
<AND DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE AC AND HP(CURRENT/TOTAL)>

Talis Revain
 player, 194 posts
Sun 23 May 2010
at 21:37
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis steps forward and swings at Ghoul3, hitting (to hit 19) for 10 damage.

DM: Ghoul3 is still up.

As Zer stops moving Talis says, "3 on 3, I don't like those odds.  Let's see what we can do to change the dance."

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:05, Mon 24 May 2010.

Zer-wedula
 player, 306 posts
Mon 24 May 2010
at 00:54
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
AC 10, 28/41
20:51, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 14 using 1d20+6. disease save.
20:49, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 11 using 1d20+6. fort save 3.
20:48, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 26 using 1d20+6. frt save 2.
20:47, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 15 using 1d20+6. fort save 1.



Zer-wedula freezes in place.
Tanrov
 player, 45 posts
Mon 24 May 2010
at 05:19
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov switches attack to ghoul on my side.

Hps: 44
AC:  18

Rolled 18 to hit 1d20 + 9 for total to hit of 27
Rolled 5 to damage 1d6 + 3 for total to damage of 8

This message was last edited by the player at 05:30, Mon 24 May 2010.

Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 300 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Tue 25 May 2010
at 19:30
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat: AC 18 HP 26
Gar: AC 20 HP 30


Cat doesn't like this close in combat. It makes her feel vulnerable. That or it's just too hard to use the spear. That said, the pebble seemed to be effective. Having palmed a few earlier, she tosses another one at the ghoul, even though it leaves her open. Gar is having his own troubles.

15:20, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 14 using 2d6+2. damage??
15:19, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 21 using 1d20+6. attack ghoulx
15:28, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 10 using 1d20+1. attack for Gar. 

DM
 GM, 709 posts
Tue 25 May 2010
at 20:26
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Round 3
Tanrov/Garth destroys the ghoul in the hallway just in time, otherwise he would have been faced with foes in front and behind.  That is never a good tactical situation to be in.  He lashes out from behind his shield at Ghoul4, dealing 8 dam.

Round 4
Glum is paralyzed. [Private to GM: 0000-- rnds]

Zer-wedula is paralyzed. [Private to GM: 00000- rnds]

Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious attack Ghoulx.  While Garious misses, Cat throws another magic stoneat Ghoulx (which provokes an Aoo) - his bite hits her armor, but does no damage.  The stone hit's with a tremendous force (14 dam) all out of proportion to it's small size.  Ghoulx is blown down the stairs and lands in pieces.

Talis steps forward and lands a good blow on Ghoul3, for 10 dam.

Ghoul3, heedless of the tactical situation, Ghoul3 is already obeying Ghoulx's order when he is blown apart by Cat.  She turns her attention to Talis, who has trouble defending himself against a little girl as she hits twice for 5 dam and...
Talis needs 2 dc 12 For saves vs paralysis,
he needs 1 vs disease, but I am going to start rolling for those since you won't know right away is you have contracted Ghoul Fever or not.
[Private to GM: Saved with a 14 for save]


Ghoul4, bites and claws at Tanrov, and finally gets a bite in, though both claws miss (1 barely misses, for 3 damage
Tanrov needs 1 dc 12 For saves vs paralysis,
he needs 1 vs disease, but I am going to start rolling for those since you won't know right away is you have contracted Ghoul Fever or not.
[Private to GM: Saved with a 26 for save]


Tactical Situation
Cat is on a narrow stair.
Zer-wedula paralyzed.
Glum is on the floor in the bedroom, paralyzed.
Talis is in the bedroom fighting Ghoul3
Tanrov is in the hallway fighting Ghoul4.
Both Ghouls are badly damaged and look like they are 1 hit from destruction.

It is a narrow hall and doorway,
to move through another persons square is treated as obstructed terrain(so x2 movement and no charging).
so for medium size weapons;
-2 handed/bludge or slash may not be used (not enough room to swing)
-2 handed/piercing may only be used in 1 direction and it is a full round action to change directions
-1 handed weapons take -4 to hit
-light weapons, no penalty
for small size weapons,
drop the restrictions by 1 level (so no penalty for 1 handed weapons)

            dam      status
Ghoul 1    - 21      destroyed
Ghoul 2    - 14      destroyed
Ghoul 3    - 11
Ghoul 4    - 8
Ghoul 5    - 19      destroyed
Ghoul x    - 30      destroyed


Z-Zer
G-Glum
C/g-Cat and garious if she is not riding him
T- Talis
R- tanRov
numbers, X- Ghouls
strike- paralyzed
_ - body
# - wall

########
    #  #
  # #  #
###_#  #
  #R4  #
  T3 # #
_G#ZC  #
########


Everyone post;
<AND DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE AC AND HP(CURRENT/TOTAL)>

Talis Revain
 player, 195 posts
Tue 25 May 2010
at 20:30
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
rolls a 3, paralyzed
Tanrov
 player, 46 posts
Tue 25 May 2010
at 21:14
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Rolled an 8 + 8 for fort vs. parasysis

rolled a 5 + 10 - 4 to ht and missed.

Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 301 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Wed 26 May 2010
at 16:10
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat: AC 18 HP 26
Gar: AC 20 HP 30


Cat smiles a bit as the ghoul goes down. Finally. She nudges Gar forward to stand over the unmoving thing. She needs the elbow room and she wants to guard the key. Turning, she sees the rest of the fight and frowns. Things aren't going that well. She tosses another stone at the nearest ghoul.

11:59, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 8 using 2d6+2. damage.
11:59, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 19 using 1d20+6. attack ghoul 3

Tanrov
 player, 47 posts
Wed 26 May 2010
at 16:23
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
When I go again.

Rolled a 15 1d20+ 10 - 4 (rolled a 9)
Rolled max damage, rolled 10 1d6+4.

In case ghoul hits me I rolled fort save para. (13)

This message was last edited by the player at 16:30, Wed 26 May 2010.

DM
 GM, 710 posts
Wed 26 May 2010
at 17:13
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to GM: Ghoul Fever = no one so far]
Round 4
Tanrov/Garth shakes off the ghoulish paralyzation, but it's lingering effects cause him to be hesitant with his swing, and he misses.

Round 5
Glum is paralyzed. [Private to GM: 0--- rnds]
[Private to Glum: You feel it may be wearing off, 1 more round of paralyzation]

Zer-wedula is paralyzed. [Private to GM: 00-- rnds]

Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious, whle Garios nudges Zer out of the way, Cat attacks Ghoul3 with the last stone she has in hand, while peeking/taking cover around the corner and strikes true.  The cover from the corner prevents Ghoul3 from getting an Aoo.  Cat does have some difficulty throwing around/through Zer and the ghoul gets a +4 ac bonus, but Cat still hits, doing 8 damage and destroying it.  She looks at the last Ghoul and realizes from her position it is almost impossible to hit (+10 ac bonus).
Options; move Zer onto the stairs(possible having him fall down them), move to where 3 was(4 could attack you from there) or push Talis into the room and take his place.

Talis  is paralyzed. [Private to GM: 00- rnds]

Ghoul4, gets inside Tanrov's defenses and connects with all it's attacks for 10 damage...
Tanrov needs 2 (already saved once) dc 12 For saves vs paralysis
DM: I rolled to save time, with his +7 For Save he saved both times
[Private to GM: dc 12 Ghoul fever = 25 for save]


Tanrov/Garth shakes off the ghoulish paralyzation and reestablishes his defense position causing him to miss.

Tactical Situation
Cat is on a narrow stair.
Zer-wedula paralyzed.
Glum is on the floor in the bedroom, paralyzed.
Talis is in the bedroom paralyzed
Tanrov is in the hallway fighting Ghoul4.
Both Ghouls are badly damaged and look like they are 1 hit from destruction.

It is a narrow hall and doorway,
to move through another persons square is treated as obstructed terrain(so x2 movement and no charging).
so for medium size weapons;
-2 handed/bludge or slash may not be used (not enough room to swing)
-2 handed/piercing may only be used in 1 direction and it is a full round action to change directions
-1 handed weapons take -4 to hit
-light weapons, no penalty
for small size weapons,
drop the restrictions by 1 level (so no penalty for 1 handed weapons)

            dam      status
Ghoul 1    - 21      destroyed
Ghoul 2    - 14      destroyed
Ghoul 3    - 19      destroyed
Ghoul 4    - 8
Ghoul 5    - 19      destroyed
Ghoul x    - 30      destroyed


Z-Zer
G-Glum
C/g-Cat and garious if she is not riding him
T- Talis
R- tanRov
numbers, X- Ghouls
strike- paralyzed
_ - body
# - wall

########
    #  #
  # #  #
###_#  #
  #R4  #
  T_ # #
_G#ZC  #
########


Everyone post;
<AND DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE AC AND HP(CURRENT/TOTAL)>

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:30, Wed 26 May 2010.

DM
 GM, 711 posts
Wed 26 May 2010
at 21:04
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
It takes a couple more rounds, 2 more magic stones(leaving 145) and 5 more damage done to Tanrov before the ghoul is put down.  Everyone recovers from the paralysis.  In the post combat silence you smell the stink of the grave from the ghoul bodies, but you hear no movement from the attic, downstairs or any bedroom.

What do you do?

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:21, Thu 27 May 2010.

Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 302 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Wed 26 May 2010
at 21:09
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat goes to recover the key she saw earlier and examines it, trying to figure where it might go.  Also, she offers healing.
Glum
 player, 386 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Wed 26 May 2010
at 21:50
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum too offers healing.  But he also offers advice.  "I have the ability to remove paralysis", he said, "Just not from myself.  Maybe I should hang back when dealing with ghouls and use my holy symbol rather than fighting... that way if anyone gets paralysed, it's not me."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:56, Wed 26 May 2010.

Zer-wedula
 player, 307 posts
Thu 27 May 2010
at 00:01
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Zer-wedula will gratefully accept any healing offered.  "Start in the attic and work our way down and out of here," he suggests.
Talis Revain
 player, 196 posts
Thu 27 May 2010
at 17:32
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis "Yeah, let's be careful and methodical, but we still need to know about the little girl.  She sounded younger then this one," nodding at the ghoul from the closet.  "I hope when 1 attacked, they would all attack...I hope."  But what about the little girl, his heart feels heavy and sad.

Glum's detect undead should still be running, let's have Glum(with Zer and me) clear each room with it before moving on.  Tanrov guards point, Cat guards rear.
DM
 GM, 713 posts
Thu 27 May 2010
at 17:59
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
The body of the leader can be identified as Rogors Craesby.  Rogors was the caretaker of Foxglove Manor.  The iron key bears a heraldic symbol of a curious flower surrounded by thorns. You can surmise it might be the heraldry of the Foxglove family, but that is only a guess (no one has know:nobility). The Misgivings,the Foxglove family estate, is located on the coast a mere three miles to the west of the Hambley farm.


Carefully going from room to room, you clear the rooms upstairs.

The first door opens into a bedroom that has 4 beds in it, 1 of the beds looked unused, but the other 3 look lived in.  They also look died in.  There are dried blood pools on all 3 beds, but no bodies.  From the looks of it this was a boys/mens bedroom.  You think back to the 3 ghouls that attacked you wearing nightclothes.  The closet in this room has typical farmers clothes, in good repair, but old, in keeping with the farmers greed/penny pinching nature.

The attic is cluttered, but (now), empty of undead.  You begin to hear a little girl crying quietly from the far door, a cry of infinite sadness.

As the crying continues, you clear the next bedroom.  This appears to be a room for a couple of adults.  Probably an Aunt and Uncle, which would be consistent with the ghouls encountered so far. This room is also clear of undead.

As you approach the final door with the crying, you begin to hear quiet words, "Mommy."  As you enter the room, the crying stops.  The room looks like the first (except it is a girls room), 4 beds, with 3 looking lived in and 1 extra(the far bed is unused).  But only 2 of the beds have blood pools, the 3rd looks slept in, but there is no blood or body.  With the stench of death in your nostrils, you wait for Glum to detect udead.

[Private to Glum: The far bed has an undead under it.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:32, Fri 28 May 2010.

Glum
 player, 387 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Thu 27 May 2010
at 20:19
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum brandishes his holy symbol moving closer to the beds, but not within grasping range (he hopes).  "THere's something undead under the far bed", he warns. As soon as the creature emerges from under the bed, he thrusts the symbol forward and declaims, "Begone, foul creature".

This message was last edited by the player at 09:00, Fri 28 May 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 197 posts
Thu 27 May 2010
at 20:28
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis will carefully approach any spot Glum points out as having undead, or if no undead are present, he carefully searches the room.  The used bed with no blood pool gives him hope, not much hope, but some.
DM
 GM, 715 posts
Fri 28 May 2010
at 17:47
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
I should point out, some undead have Turn Resistance, which acts like Damage Reduction;
Glum rolls damage
Undead make a Will save for 1/2
subtract Turn Resistance from the damage


Talis starts forward, switching to his polearm (to turn the bed over).  As he reaches forward, a 7 year old little girl scampers out from under it and over into the corner.  In her arms she clutches a raggedy old doll.  She doesn't look like a flesh eating ghoul...

Talis says in a worried tone, "Glum, please tell me the undead is still under the bed?"  But he keeps the polearm between himself and the little girl.  As Glum radiates positive energy the little girl winces and says, "Ow," with a confused and scared look on her face.

[Private to Talis Revain: You didn't hear her move.]
[Private to Glum: For just a moment she faded into translucence when you turned.  She is probably a ghost or ghost-like undead.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:27, Fri 28 May 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 198 posts
Fri 28 May 2010
at 18:21
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Hold on Glum, I think this might be a spirit like Tanrov was, without a body."
Glum
 player, 390 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Fri 28 May 2010
at 20:33
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum says, "There's your undead" pointing at the girl.  And he makes another effort to turn it.  "Get thee hence!"

This message was last edited by the player at 09:08, Sat 29 May 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 50 posts
Fri 28 May 2010
at 20:46
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
This ghost entity intrigues Tanrov and he'll try to converse with it.

"Where are you from?  Did you die like I did, falling down some stairs?  Why are you haunting this place?"
Zer-wedula
 player, 309 posts
Sat 29 May 2010
at 00:19
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Burn her to ashes and then burn the ashes," Zer-wedula quietly suggests.  "Or drip holy water on her until she says what Foxglove is up to."
DM
 GM, 717 posts
Sat 29 May 2010
at 19:24
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
As Zer and Tanrov start to offer advice, Glum tries to turn it again.  As positive energy flows out, the ghostly girl turns translucent for a moment and cries out in pain and confusion.  Her head takes on an unnatural angle (broken neck), bruises appear on her face, 1 arm sticks out at the wrong angle (broken) and her eyes appear dead.  The sight is supernaturally horrifying;
Tanrov, Glum, Zer-wedula and Talis make For save, dc 13
(Cat was out of sight in the hallway)
[Private to Talis Revain; Tanrov: You get +4 for not having aggressive thoughts.]
failure = You prematurely age
   3 str, 2 dex and 1 con permanent Dam
   effects like grey/white hair (a streak or the whole head), etc...

(Permanent means lesser restoration won't work.  It requires multiple Restorations (a 4th level cleric spell) to repair)


She "snaps back" into her "healthy" appearance, screams "Monsters!" and dives under the bed.

A couple of points about ghosts;
1- They don't have to be of evil character (many are, but some aren't, Tanrov wasn't.)  Their very existence is "wrong"(not evil) and it would be a good act to help them to the afterlife.
2- they are almost impossible to "kill".  You can "destroy" them, but they will just reform a few days later.  To finish them off so they don't come back you need to discover what is connecting them to their ghostly existence.  An unfinished task or a magical death are just a couple of connections, each ghost is unique. 

Talis Revain
 player, 199 posts
Sat 29 May 2010
at 22:52
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis focuses on Glum, "Glum, she is a victim and you are just making it worse.  Just get out of here.  Maybe she would talk with Cat?"  Shaking is head, "Oh %^&#"
Tanrov
 player, 51 posts
Sat 29 May 2010
at 23:50
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
15 fort save aging

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:02, Sun 30 May 2010.

Zer-wedula
 player, 310 posts
Sun 30 May 2010
at 01:14
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
21:11, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 17 using 1d20+6. Fort save

"Interesting," Zer-wedula muses. "Hey, under there!  I believe Lord Foxglove is behind this, would you help us stop him?"
Glum
 player, 392 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sun 30 May 2010
at 09:44
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
10:41, Today: Glum rolled 9 using 1d20+7. fort save.

Glum stomped off in a fury that the gods had chosen this moment to desert him. Then he sat down on the stairs.

Glum sulked a bit as well.

Ouch; so Glum can have a quest, finding a cleric who can cast 4th level spells.  Until then, -3 str, -2 dex, -1 con.  Magnimar is your is your best bet.

You might want to be pick a scar or appearance change to reflect this, grey hair, etc...

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:04, Sun 30 May 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 200 posts
Mon 31 May 2010
at 01:24
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis will leave the room "Guys, back off and sit down.  Don't loom so large.  Let Cat talk to her," and follows Glum.  "Glum, you ok.", with a sharp intake of breath, "You don't look so good buddy."
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 304 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Mon 31 May 2010
at 11:10
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat listens to the commotion in the room with a frown. She catches a peek now and then. This can't be good. It's only a child. Glum exits, looking old. Cat enters with Garious following, going to the bed. Sitting on the floor, she asks, "So child, would you tell me what happened here?"
DM
 GM, 720 posts
Mon 31 May 2010
at 18:39
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
All Zer-wedula gets is is frightened crying of a little girl.
rolled a diplomacy check, failed

   With Glum/Talis gone and Tanrov/Zer-wedula backing off, Cat comes in and tries to talk to the little girl.  Cat is small, female and has a big lovable dog, and what farmgirl doesn't love dogs.  Garious isn't sure what to make of these events or this voice, and is still on edge from the recent battle with the ghouls.  Alas, Cat is not the most diplomatic person in the world (0ranks, +0chr), and even with all those advantages, she has trouble drawing the child into a conversation.

  Eventually, she gets the following story.  Mina was in the closet looking for her doll (her sisters had hid it) when she heard a noise.  She came out and found monsters killing her sisters.  The only thing she could think of was getting to mommy and daddy, they would protect her.  But there was another monster downstairs, killing daddy.  So she ran outside and found all the dogs dead.  She ran, chased by a monster, found herself on the edge of a cliff and fell...a big pain...then nothing until she awoke in her bedroom with 1 of her sisters (now a monster).  The monster in the hall was a noble who lived nearby and had visited daddy a few times.  Lord Foxy, according to her older sisters.  Until a few months ago her oldest sister had always dreamed (fantasized) about marrying him, but then he married someone else.  From her dead form, you can surmise she broke her neck and died instantly.
   Since that time, she has been watching her family and the new man (Rogers),who she remembers also visiting the farm to buy food and such.  She has been afraid to go downstairs, and feels odd.  She doesn't seem to get hungry or sleepy.  She watched as her family would go out at night and bring neighbors back to the barn.  She watched as a lone man from the city (Sandpoint) rode up and got ambushed, and taken to the barn.  She watched as a group of farmers came with pitchforks, but where chased down by her family and taken to the barn.  Many of these were dressed as a scarecrows and taken to the field.  She can't give you specific times, time seems to have lost all meaning (and she was only 7 to begin with).
  By the time this conversation is finished the light is begininging to dim outside.  It is early evening and you have no more than a couple of hours of daylight left when the girl falls silent and stops responding.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:54, Tue 01 June 2010.

Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 305 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Tue 1 Jun 2010
at 00:46
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat returns to the group, "All right, it's starting to get dark. We might as well hole up in this house. And we can look for the girl's doll and see what we can find of bodies inside."
Tanrov
 player, 52 posts
Tue 1 Jun 2010
at 17:41
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov likes looking for the doll and holding up here in the house.  Tanrov will take first watch if we do stay.
Talis Revain
 player, 200 posts
Wed 2 Jun 2010
at 18:07
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis looks worried, "I really don't want those ghouls that are left in the field moving on to the next farm."  He indicates the death inside, "This ends here.  And Zer's new friend seems to be 1 step ahead of us.  Do you want to give him 1 more night?  And if he thinks like Zer, he could just try to burn the house down around us."  He thinks for a moment, "We could look for the doll later," if we survive (he thinks).

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:07, Wed 02 June 2010.

Zer-wedula
 player, 311 posts
Tue 1 Jun 2010
at 21:53
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Look for the doll as fast as we can then get out of this death trap and back to the road," Zer-wedula opines.
Glum
 player, 395 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Wed 2 Jun 2010
at 09:49
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"I need some rest if possible", suggests Glum, "My spell priorities just changed all of a sudden."
DM
 GM, 725 posts
Wed 2 Jun 2010
at 20:22
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
   When it became obvious Cat was going to be able to talk with Mina, but that it would take some time, Talis (backed up with Zer-wedula and Glum) searched all the other rooms for other hidden ghouls (and treasure).
   The upstairs rooms are mostly devoid of value and hiding places.  The reputed greed of the farmer shows in the poorness of his families possessions.  Downstairs, is much the same, older furniture and such.  The master bedroom shows signs of a struggle and 1 death (the wife).  With the assistance of both Zer and Glum, Talis finds a loose floorboard in the master bedroom.  Hidden beneath is a wooden chest.  After looking for traps, he carefully lifts it out and examines it.  The chest and lock are very well made and Talis is sure he can open it, it's just going to take awhile (dc25 open locks).
   After taking 20, Talis opens the chest to find 34 bags, each with 100 sp in them.  Here is the farmers wealth, hidden away but with such care.  You can visualize the miser carefully counting each bag, while his family makes due with hand-me-down and second-hand clothes.  Belatedly, Talis searches the farmer's body and finds a key.
   Other than a lonely little ghost, the house is empty of threats.  Surprisingly, the last dog is still outside as you move to the barn.  The barn is the larger of the two structures, an L-shaped building constructed around a unique feature—a twelvefoot- high stone head, canted slightly to the left, depicting a helmed warrior, his face a stern model of placid determination. Moss has grown over much of the weathered figure, making his features hard to discern. This head, known locally as the “Stone Warrior,” is a remnant of an ancient Thassilonian statue that once stood in the area. Too large to move and too unique to destroy, Hambley decided to use it as a support for his barn and incorporated it into the building’s structure. The ghouls themselves have made this barn their lair, and the place has become a macabre tangle of bones and partially eaten carcasses (in most cases cows, dogs or horses, but also people).  The barn is also clear of threats and a quick count of ghoul nests shows you have probably destroyed the Hambley family, which just leaves those neighbors they have turned into ghouls.

Here are some maps;

http://s972.photobucket.com/al...ds1.jpg&newest=1

http://s972.photobucket.com/al...rsfarmlandsPCmap.jpg

You came in from the north; do you want to clear the east or west fields first?
What preparations are you going to do?
I will assume the previous marching order unless you want to change it.

Talis Revain
 player, 201 posts
Wed 2 Jun 2010
at 21:53
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Let's go east, since that is the direction the rest of the farms are located.  Say Cat, can I get a couple of those stones?"
Tanrov
 player, 54 posts
Wed 2 Jun 2010
at 22:48
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"I'm with Talis on this one if we're not going to stay.  We need to catch up with the run away ghouls and destroy them before they can affect anyone else beside this family and their neighbors."  Tanrov will states as we head on out.
DM
 GM, 726 posts
Thu 3 Jun 2010
at 19:58
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
The group heads southeast down a path, the field is darker with shadows growing longer as the sun gets lower in the sky.  There should be enough sunlight to check out the field.  As you approach an intersection that heads northeast, you can see a scarecrow 60' ahead to the southeast at an intersection that goes west.  Talis, carefully approaches and the scarecrow starts struggling against it's bonds trying to break free.

Talis holds up his hand in "wait" signal and carefully pokes the scarecrow (1 damage), which screams in pain and collapses.  Talis looks at his polearm and sees blood.
Talis Revain
 player, 202 posts
Thu 3 Jun 2010
at 19:59
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis, "I think this one might be still alive."
Glum
 player, 398 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Thu 3 Jun 2010
at 20:05
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"There's one way to tell", said Glum and summoning the positive energy of a healing spell, he sacrificed his mending spell for the day, instead curing the one point of damage Talis has caused (although of course, this action will cause a further point of damage should this scarecrow be undead).
DM
 GM, 727 posts
Thu 3 Jun 2010
at 20:18
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Through the hole in the clothes, Glum sees the wound heal and close.  The figure starts struggling again.
Glum
 player, 399 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Thu 3 Jun 2010
at 20:20
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"He's alive", said Glum. "Free him and remove the gag if he's gagged."
DM
 GM, 728 posts
Thu 3 Jun 2010
at 21:39
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
The scarecrow turns out to be an older woman who is suffering from ghoul fever, but who hasn't succumbed yet.  She is Lettie Guffmin.  She and her husband retired to a small farm last year.  Last night the ghouls came and dragged them to the barn and bit them and set her up as a scarecrow.  She has been suffering all day and has the first feelings of this strange hunger.  She thinks her husband was also bit, but doesn't know where they took him.
Zer-wedula
 player, 312 posts
Fri 4 Jun 2010
at 00:40
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Maybe we should find a safe place for the  night," Zer-wedula suggests.
DM
 GM, 729 posts
Fri 4 Jun 2010
at 15:08
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Barely able to walk, Lettie pleads, "Please find my husband young man, before it is too late."  But is it too late already?
Talis Revain
 player, 203 posts
Fri 4 Jun 2010
at 18:05
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis comforts her, "Yes ma'am, we will find your husband.  Then we will escort you to a safe farm.  This won't happen again."
Tanrov
 player, 55 posts
Fri 4 Jun 2010
at 18:37
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"How we goin' to cure her," asks Tanrov.
Glum
 player, 400 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Fri 4 Jun 2010
at 21:05
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"We need a better cleric than me", said Glum, "So do I for that matter."
Zer-wedula
 player, 314 posts
Sun 6 Jun 2010
at 13:54
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Where would we look for your husband, dear lady?" Zer-wedula asks, summoning all the kindness he can muster.
DM
 GM, 732 posts
Mon 7 Jun 2010
at 20:12
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
   Choosing to go northeast, the group comes upon a normal scarecrow at a 4 way intersection with a couple of poles that used to have scarecrows on them (probably a couple that you have previously put down).  You pass a few locations that show signs of struggle about a day or 2 ago.  Probably where the farmers posse was caught running away and killed/caught (with only farmer Gump being the sole survivor).

   Heading east, you see ahead a scarecrow.  As Talis approaches, it starts to struggle and he notices that this area has many fresh tracks and the field has been trampled.  Being careful, Talis starts to carefully reach out to check if this one is alive or dead.  With a howl several ghouls reach out and attack from under the cover of leaves, taking the whole party by surprise.

Round surprise
Ghoul1-4, 1(right next to) and 2(5' step) attack Talis, but miss as Talis retains his dex, even when flatfooted.  3, moves through the plants toward Glum (odd, he should have gone for the wounded woman).  4, comes running down the other trail.  From off in the distance you hear more howls, more ghouls are coming.
[Private to Glum: You figure she is so close to becoming a ghoul herself, that the ghoul sees her as 1 of the pack.  She definitely needs healing within 1/2 a  day.]

Tactical Situation
            dam      status
Ghoul 1    - 0
Ghoul 2    - 0
Ghoul 3    - 0
Ghoul 4    - 0


Z-Zer
G-Glum
C/g-Cat and garious if she is not riding him
T- Talis
R- tanRov
d- dog 1
w- wounded woman
$- scarecrow, moving
#- field
numbers- Ghouls
strike- paralyzed
_ - body


      #  #
   ###  #
    4   #
   ###  $
     #2 #
     # T1
     #  #
     #  #
    #  #
    #  #
     #  #
     #  #
     3GR#
     #wd#
      #ZC#
      #  #
      #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #




Zer and Talis may post for round 1;
<AND DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE AC AND HP(CURRENT/TOTAL)>

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:19, Mon 07 June 2010.

DM
 GM, 733 posts
Mon 7 Jun 2010
at 22:29
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis will move back to attack the ghoul on Glum, taking the 2 Aoo, "Leave the one's in front to me and Betsy," shaking the polearm.  Hacking (16 to hit) the ghoul on Glum (12 dam).  Taunting the ghouls, "Hungry boys, come and get it" with a savage smile.

DM: both Aoo (rolling poorly) miss, Ghoul3 is still up

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:31, Mon 07 June 2010.

DM
 GM, 734 posts
Tue 8 Jun 2010
at 18:49
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to GM: Ghoul Fever = no one so far]
Round 1
Zer-wedula   throws his 1 magic stone and misses.

Talis does 12 dam to ghoul3

Ghoul1-4, 1,2 and 4 all move forward howling (but you can make out words in the howls, they are communicating!) and surround Talis, who gets 3 aoo.  But he has trouble swinging his weapon 180os and misses the first 2 attacks (rolled a 1 and 5).  He finally gets it ready and hits ghoul4 for 10 damage.
Ghoul1 hits with a bite for 6 damage on Talis (makes his save vs paralysis)
[Private to GM: Makes save vs Ghoul Fever]
Ghoul2 misses, even with the flanking bonus
Ghoul3 attacks Glum 3 times, hitting with 1 claw for 2 damage (makes his save vs paralysis)

Tactical Situation
            dam      status
Ghoul 1    - 0
Ghoul 2    - 0
Ghoul 3    - 12
Ghoul 4    - 10


Z-Zer
G-Glum
C/g-Cat and garious if she is not riding him
T- Talis
R- tanRov
d- dog 1
w- wounded woman
$- scarecrow, moving
#- field
numbers- Ghouls
strike- paralyzed
_ - body


      #  #
   ###  #
        #
   ###  $
     #  #
     #  #
     #  #
     #  #
    #  #
    #24#
     #T #
     # 1#
     3GR#
     #wd#
      #ZC#
      #  #
      #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #




Everyone may Post;
<AND DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE AC AND HP(CURRENT/TOTAL)>

Tanrov
 player, 56 posts
Tue 8 Jun 2010
at 19:12
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov moves 5' and tries to hit ghoul3 but misses (4)1d20+4 = 8.

ac 18
hp 40

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:14, Tue 08 June 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 204 posts
Tue 8 Jun 2010
at 21:59
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Drop the polearm, "*&%$ plants," activate shield ring (free), draw sword (move), adjust 5' to get flanking (is possible) and attack a ghoul (the most damaged one when my turn comes around).

13 to hit
11 damage

Glum
 player, 401 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Wed 9 Jun 2010
at 08:40
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum holds out his holy symbol to ghoul 3 and snarls, "Get thee hence abomination! The dead must STAY dead!"

ooc another turning attempt.
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 310 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Wed 9 Jun 2010
at 11:50
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat: AC 18 HP 24
Gar: AC 20 HP 30


Cat sighs, tired of these ambushes. At least they aren't orcs. She tosses a pebble at the nearest threatening ghoul 3?, wishing she had handed out more.

07:47, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 15,12 using d20+6,2d6+2. attack, damage.
DM
 GM, 735 posts
Wed 9 Jun 2010
at 22:11
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to GM: Ghoul Fever = no one so far]
Round 1
Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious throws a stone and blows ghoul3 apart, 12 damage
You should be getting +9 to hit, +3base+3dex+1size+1racial+1magicstone
-4 for a ranged attack into melee = 14 to hit;
ghouls have a 14 ac


Tanrov/Garth strikes at ghoul1, hitting for 10 damage
You should be getting +10 to hit, +4base+4str+1mwweapon+1wffeat

Glum trys to turn, but in the excitement of the moment forgets he has used all his divine power for the day.  Nothing happens.

old woman, dog grabs the dog and cowers in fear, ready to run for her life.

Round 2
Zer-wedula pulls up his crossbow and fires, but misses.

Talis moves and flanks with Tanrov, which distracts ghoul1 just enough for a hit.

Ghoul2,4, both attack Talis, but are so inept that neither come close to hitting.  4 more ghouls come running around the corner, howling like banshees.

Tactical Situation
            dam      status
Ghoul 1    - 21      destroyed
Ghoul 2    - 0
Ghoul 3    - 24      destroyed
Ghoul 4    - 10
Ghoul 5    - 0
Ghoul 6    - 0
Ghoul 7    - 0
Ghoul 8    - 0

Z-Zer
G-Glum
C/g-Cat and garious if she is not riding him
T- Talis
R- tanRov
d- dog 1
w- wounded woman
$- scarecrow, moving
#- field
numbers- Ghouls
strike- paralyzed
_ - body


      #78#
   ###56#
        #
   ###  $
     #  #
     #  #
     #  #
     #  #
    #  #
    # 4#
     #2T#
     # _#
     #GR#
     #wd#
      #ZC#
      #  #
      #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #




Everyone may Post;
<AND DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE AC AND HP(CURRENT/TOTAL)>

Zer-wedula
 player, 315 posts
Thu 10 Jun 2010
at 01:12
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
AC 11, 41 hp
21:10, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 3 using 1d20. crossbow into melee.


Zer-wedula fires wildly and misses.  "Talis, Tanrov," he says.  "if one of you wants, I can Enlarge you."
Glum
 player, 402 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Thu 10 Jun 2010
at 09:21
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum charged into combat and aimed a mighty blow at ghoul number 2... unfortunately, he's not as strong as he was.

10:19, Today: Glum rolled 0 using 1d8-2. Damage from kick.
10:19, Today: Glum rolled 18 using 1d20+6. Unarmed with charge.
Not sure whether this does bring his damage down to zero or not

Talis Revain
 player, 205 posts
Thu 10 Jun 2010
at 18:40
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis says, "Fine, enlarge me now";

assuming ghoul2 "dies"
drop sword stylishly into ground (free)
deactivate shield (free)
pickup/draw polearm (move)
step back 5', if able
attack ghoul4 (standard)ready an attack vs the 1st ghoul (trip)
rolled a 2 to hit, miss

Aoo will be trip attacks

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:21, Sat 12 June 2010.

Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 311 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Thu 10 Jun 2010
at 21:44
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat: AC 18 HP 24
Gar: AC 20 HP 30


This gets worse and worse with ever more ghouls. There should be a plan but ... there wasn't time. So, Cat tosses a pebble long @ghoul 4.

17:41, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 19,11 using d20+6,2d6+2. attack, damage. I was trying to change the 6 to a 9.
Tanrov
 player, 57 posts
Fri 11 Jun 2010
at 19:18
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
With a flash of adult training, Tanrov analyzes the tactical situation and moves around Glum, into the field to engage Ghoul2.

To hit = 29
dam = 8
DM
 GM, 736 posts
Fri 11 Jun 2010
at 19:37
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
I forgot that Talis said he was doing trip attacks and he had a readied action, updating this post to reflect this;
lum get's his 5 hps back


[Private to GM: Ghoul Fever = no one so far]
Round 2
Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious throws a stone and blows ghoul4 apart, 11 damage
nice luck on those damage rolls

Tanrov/Garth bulls into the field and attacks with his scimitar on ghoul2, 8 dam.

Glum moves forward and hits, but in his weakened state, does only 1 damage to ghoul2.
Minimum damage done is 1

old woman, dog move away 5' into the field.  The dog stays with the old woman.

Round 3
Zer-wedula pulls up his crossbow and fires, but misses.

Talis Prepares to engage the ghouls with his polearm, but with little chance of attacking now, he uses his action to move to in line with Tarov and Glum.

Ghoul2, attempts to grapple Talis (who is too close and can't take an Aoo), he manages to grab on, but Talis saves vs paralysis and manages to break free, otherwise acting as cover for the rest.

Ghoul5, charges Glum (Talis misses an Aoo because of the cover provided by ghoul2), but his readied action hits, he trips ghoul5, getting another attack, which hits for 7 damage
hitting for 5 damage with his bite.
Glum needs dc 12 For saves vs paralysis
[Private to GM: GLUM SAVES VS DISEASE]


Ghoul6, moves down(full move) and into the field.  Talis takes an Aoo, which misses completely.

Ghoul7, moves down(full move) and into the field in front of Tanrov.

Ghoul8, moves down(full move) in front of Glum.

Tactical Situation
            dam      status
Ghoul 1    - 21      destroyed
Ghoul 2    - 8
Ghoul 3    - 24      destroyed
Ghoul 4    - 21      destroyed
Ghoul 5    - 7
Ghoul 6    - 0
Ghoul 7    - 0
Ghoul 8    - 0

Z-Zer
G-Glum
C/g-Cat and garious if she is not riding him
T- Talis
R- tanRov
d- dog 1
w- wounded woman
$- scarecrow, moving
#- field
numbers- Ghouls
strike- paralyzed
brown- target on the ground
_ - body


      #  #
   ###  #
        #
   ###  $
     #  #
     #  #
     #  #
     #  #
    #  #
    # 5#
     7826
     RGT#
     #  #
    wd  #
      #ZC#
      #  #
      #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #




Everyone may Post;
<AND DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE AC AND HP(CURRENT/TOTAL)>

if you don't post your Ac/hp, when I roll to hit I will just guess, probably I will guess low...fair warning.
]

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:59, Sat 12 June 2010.

Glum
 player, 403 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Fri 11 Jun 2010
at 22:24
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
AC15 HPts 24/29

Glum hits out twice at ghoul number 5 with singular lack of success

23:26, Today: Glum rolled 6 using 1d20+5. second blow.
23:26, Today: Glum rolled 7 using 1d20+5. first blow.
23:26, Today: Glum rolled 13 using 1d20+6. fort save.
At least these feeble dice allowed him to pass the fort save for once.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:18, Fri 11 June 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 58 posts
Fri 11 Jun 2010
at 23:01
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
When TanRov gets to swing again, he shouts, "Sarenrae smite them down"

AC 18
HP 40

18:12 Tanrov rolled 16 1d20 +10 = 26 to hit
18:12 Tanrov rolled 2 1d6 +5 = 7 to damage

This message was last edited by the player at 01:20, Sat 12 June 2010.

Zer-wedula
 player, 316 posts
Fri 11 Jun 2010
at 23:50
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Zer-wedula steps up and casts Enlarge on Talis.
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 312 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Sat 12 Jun 2010
at 23:56
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat: AC 18 HP 24
Gar: AC 20 HP 30


Cat frowns, This is not good. Not good at all. She nudges Gar forward NW a bit 5'. With one hand, she holds out her bag, "More pebbles anyone?" With her other, she throws a pebble long, to be sure to miss her friends. @G5

19:55, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 24,11 using d20+9,2d6+2.
Talis Revain
 player, 206 posts
Sun 13 Jun 2010
at 00:04
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tries to trip ghoul7
15 to hit, 21 trip check
Improved trip attack 23 to hit, 8 dam

DM
 GM, 738 posts
Sun 13 Jun 2010
at 22:18
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to GM: Ghoul Fever = no one so far]
Round 3
Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious throws a stone and blows ghoul5 apart, 11 damage

Tanrov/Garth cries out and attacks with his scimitar on ghoul7, 7 dam.  Garth was never this good with a scimitar.

Glum starts a flurry of blows, but is uncoordinated and weak, which throws him off.  He doesn't even come close.

old woman, dog stay where they are, afraid to run for fear of what might be out there.

Round 4
Zer-wedula steps forward and starts to cast his spell on Talis (it will start at this time next round).

Talis There are just to much interference (cover) between him and the target for him to get a clean shot, and he misses.

Ghoul2, attempts to grapple Talis with it's claws (Talis is too close and can't take an Aoo), but misses.  He does manage to bite Talis, doing 2 damage, and Talis freezes in place...
Talis fails saves vs paralysis
[Private to GM: Talis makes save vs disease]
...and steps forward 5' when ghoul6 pulls Talis away.

Ghoul6, grabs the paralyzed Talis and starts pulling him into the field.

Ghoul7, claws and bites at Tanrov so furiously that Tanrov just can't defend them all and 1 claw gets through for 2 damage, he finds the fear of the grave almost too much to bear, but summons the internal fortitude to keep going.
Tanrov saves vs paralysis with a 12

Ghoul8, claws and bites at Glum, coming from so many directions that not even Glum can defend them all and 1 claw slips through for 2 damage.
I will apply the previous for save to this hit, so you saved

Glum; please update your character, msg 4 from "Treasure and xp".  You are missing your bracers, which you evidently aren't wearing.


Tactical Situation
            dam      status
Ghoul 1    - 21      destroyed
Ghoul 2    - 8
Ghoul 3    - 24      destroyed
Ghoul 4    - 21      destroyed
Ghoul 5    - 18      destroyed
Ghoul 6    - 0
Ghoul 7    - 7
Ghoul 8    - 0

Z-Zer
G-Glum
C/g-Cat and garious if she is not riding him
T- Talis
R- tanRov
d- dog 1
w- wounded woman
$- scarecrow, moving
#- field
numbers- Ghouls
strike- paralyzed
brown- target on the ground
_ - body
x-Talis' polearm and sword


      #  #
   ###  #
        #
   ###  $
     #  #
     #  #
     #  #
     #  #
    #  #
    # _#
     78 #
     RG2#T6
     #  #
    wdZC#
      #  #
      #  #
      #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #
       #  #




Everyone may Post;
<AND DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE AC AND HP(CURRENT/TOTAL)>
]
Glum
 player, 404 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sun 13 Jun 2010
at 22:48
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
AC15 HPts 22/29

"Keep these two occupied", says Glum to Tanrov as he attempts through a series of punches kicks and other ways in which unarmed people inflict violence, to force Ghoul number 2 backward toward Talis and Ghoul number 6.  If the ghoul falls, then Glum will go over it.

23:46, Today: Glum rolled 6 using 1d8-2. damage second.
23:46, Today: Glum rolled 5 using 1d8-2. Damage first.
23:45, Today: Glum rolled 12 using 1d20+5. Second Attack.
23:45, Today: Glum rolled 23 using 1d20+5. First attack.


OOC I don't remember reading that message but thanks.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:50, Sun 13 June 2010.

Zer-wedula
 player, 317 posts
Mon 14 Jun 2010
at 01:30
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
AC 10? 49 hp
21:26, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 8 using 2d4+3. bastard sword.
21:26, Today: Zer-wedula rolled 19 using 1d20+6. Raging attack.



"For Sandpoint!"
Zer-wedula shouts as he rages and leaps forward to taack the ghoul trying to drag Talis away.
Tanrov
 player, 59 posts
Mon 14 Jun 2010
at 04:21
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov will swing at ghoul 2

21:12 tanrov rolled a 12 1d20 +10 =22 to hit
21:12 he rolled a 4 1d6 +4 = 8 to damage

This message was last edited by the player at 04:26, Mon 14 June 2010.

Glum
 player, 405 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Mon 14 Jun 2010
at 10:09
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
OOC Tanrov, there's an issue with attacking Ghoul 2, because Glum is between you and it.  You are in Melee with Ghouls 7 and 8
Tanrov
 player, 60 posts
Mon 14 Jun 2010
at 21:37
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Then I attack ghoul7
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 313 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Tue 15 Jun 2010
at 20:01
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat: AC 18 HP 24/26
Gar: AC 20 HP 30/30


Cat gets a little frantic seeing Talis getting dragged away. She tosses a pebble at the nearest ghoul G2?.

15:53, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 20,9 using d20+9,2d6+2. attack, damage.
DM
 GM, 739 posts
Tue 15 Jun 2010
at 22:41
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
[Private to GM: Ghoul Fever = no one so far]
Round 4
Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious continues her string of hits, throwing a stone and blowing apart ghoul2 with 9 damage

Tanrov/Garth is apparently heard as his scimitar cuts ghoul7 down with 8 damage.

Glum moves to help Talis, but that ghoul8 a chance.  Ghoul8 hits Glum for 5 damage (Glum saves vs paralysis).  Ignoring the hit, Glum moves through the field and attacks ghoul6, doing 5 damage.

old woman, dog stay where they are, afraid to run for fear of what might be out there.

Round 5
Zer-wedula finishes his enlarge spell and Talis starts to grow.  Ghoul6, not expecting this, falls down under the load, but isn't pinned.  Using his barbarian speed, he psuhes his way through the plants and smashes ghoul6 for 8 damage, finishing the job Glum started.

Talis remains still.

Ghoul8 starts running away.

Tactical Situation
            dam      status
Ghoul 1    - 21      destroyed
Ghoul 2    - 17      destroyed
Ghoul 3    - 24      destroyed
Ghoul 4    - 21      destroyed
Ghoul 5    - 18      destroyed
Ghoul 6    - 13      destroyed
Ghoul 7    - 15      destroyed
Ghoul 8    - 0

Z-Zer
G-Glum
C/g-Cat and garious if she is not riding him
T- Talis
R- tanRov
d- dog 1
w- wounded woman
$- scarecrow, moving
#- field
numbers- Ghouls
strike- paralyzed
brown- target on the ground
_ - body
x-Talis' polearm and sword

        8
      #  #
   ###  #
        #
   ###  $
     #  #
     #  #
     #  #
     #  #
    #  #
    # _#
     #  #G
     R xTT_
     #  TTZ
    wd C#
      #  #


Cat and Tanrov chase down ghoul8 and destroy it. Silence settles over the farm as you approach the scarecrow.  It turns out to be Horran Guffmin, Lettie's husband.  He is in as bad of shape as she is.  They both need medical attention soon.  The group finishes a carefull survey of the farm and match the number of scarecrow posts with the number of destroyed ghouls.  With the matching numbers from the bloody beds with the Hambley family ghouls, you are sure this ghoul infestation is stopped.  But the leader ghoul, Rogors Craesby, was not from this farm and was turned before this started by Aldern Foxglove.  How many did Foxglove make before he started this infestation?

Night has fallen as you finish your search of the farm and satisfy yourself that no more ghouls exist.  But unless you want them to turn into ghouls, both of the Guffmin's need urgent medical attention (clerical or heal skill remove disease).

What do you want to do now?
Glum
 player, 406 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Wed 16 Jun 2010
at 09:30
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Well, next thing obviously is to find medical help for the Guffmins.  We'll get them back to the village and let the village know what is needed and try to find out where that expertise is available.
Tanrov
 player, 61 posts
Wed 16 Jun 2010
at 17:39
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov is all for staying in the village and getting a good night sleep, the kid in him is tired while the adult side is wired all that excitement.  Besides maybe the village has some help for Glum and anti paralysis scrolls for the group especially Talis, Ha.  This is twice now that he has been paralyzed.  I need to buy a reach weapon for myself so that I can take some of the slaxe off Talis.  I also think we need to restock up on healing supplies as well.
Talis Revain
 player, 207 posts
Wed 16 Jun 2010
at 17:44
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Maybe we should see if one of the farmers know some healing.  I am afraid he might come after another farm to start this ghoul farming thing again.  But if you want to go back, let's get going and borrow a horse and cart, these 2 will need help getting there."
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 314 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Wed 16 Jun 2010
at 18:56
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat looks about, "I'd be surprised if a farmer had strong enough magic to help. We  might have to take them to Sandpoint." The whole situation has her close to despair.
DM
 GM, 742 posts
Wed 16 Jun 2010
at 21:48
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Well, at least 3 votes for Sandpoint, so...

The group stops by the 1st farm they find and convince the farmer to loan them a wagon and horse (the group is fairly well know).  They also warn him about the threat of ghouls.  The trip back is dark and the group is on edge.  Who knows how many more ghouls there are?  You arrive back at Sandpoint late at night and find the Sheriff has posted a pair of guards at the bridge.  Someone rides ahead to alert Father Zantus, so when you arrive at the Cathedral he is ready.  The Guffmins are escorted in and after an examination, the priest declares they will be ok.


It's late at night, the authorities have been informed....

Anything specific you want to do?
Where do you sleep?
How early do you want to get up and go to the Misgivings?

After you respond I will start a new Thread...
Talis Revain
 player, 208 posts
Thu 17 Jun 2010
at 18:23
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis wants to get going as soon as the group has rested.

He suggests we all sleep in the same location, say the Glassworks, for safety.  "Zer's new friend is probably upset with him."

He will arrange with Ameiko and Father Zanthus to help the farmers who are now short of hands.  He warns the priest about the ghost girl.
Tanrov
 player, 62 posts
Thu 17 Jun 2010
at 19:07
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
When Tanrov wakes he'll tell Talis that he is going to get a guisarme or something to help him out at the front and be back soon.  I like the idea of sleeping in the glass works and I won't sleep much later than Talis because of the kid in him will naturally wake Tanrov up fairly early.  I'll Sleep to about a half hour of Talis.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:05, Thu 17 June 2010.

Glum
 player, 407 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Thu 17 Jun 2010
at 20:16
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum goes to sleep in the Cathedral, waking at the crack of dawn and, after meditation, is ready to return to the misgivings.
Zer-wedula
 player, 318 posts
Fri 18 Jun 2010
at 00:42
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Zer-wedula hangs with the group and studies his new spells.
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 315 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Sat 19 Jun 2010
at 19:22
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Once the couple is attended to, Cat will camp outside the city gates to sleep and wait for the others. stay with Glum at the Cathedral.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:45, Sun 20 June 2010.

DM
 GM, 743 posts
Sat 19 Jun 2010
at 19:33
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
So let me get this straight, Cat will sleep outside, in mid fall(chilly, if not cold), alone (ok, with Garious) when there is a vicious undead killer running around....R e a l l y!  He has shown a good ability to sneak around and kill people, and is probably meant for the entire party to face.  He might miss your little camp out, but is that a risk you are willing to bet your character on?

Ok, I will need specifics on this, as detailed as you can make it, and roll a d20 for me.

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield: If you want to suicide your character, just tell me.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:58, Sat 19 June 2010.

Zer-wedula
 player, 319 posts
Mon 21 Jun 2010
at 00:52
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Shaggy and Scooby always did OK.  You go Cat!