2.0 Murder in Sandpoint.   Posted by DM.Group: archive 0
Tanrov
 player, 20 posts
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 21:56
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov returns to the crime scene.  Is the hole, big enough for T/G to fit into?  If so, Garth will go in and search the hole.  Is there a tunnel going from the hole to somewhere?
DM
 GM, 672 posts
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 22:01
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
The hole leads to the area beneath the house (the crawl space), there is no apparent hole in the ground.  It is cramped and dirty in the crawl space underneath the house, does Tanrov/Garth crawl down and explore?

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:47, Sun 04 Apr 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 21 posts
Sun 4 Apr 2010
at 22:21
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Yes, Tanrov will go down the hole and explore for the group.
Talis Revain
 player, 171 posts
Mon 5 Apr 2010
at 04:03
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
As Tanrov/Garth is below, Talis sticks his head down and quietly says, "You know you're a lot bigger than an 11 year old now.  Hmm, Her list, now that's interesting.  So what do 3 con men, Harker and Mara have in common.  We also need to consider how Rauno, Katrine Vinder and the bodyguard fit in."
DM
 GM, 673 posts
Mon 5 Apr 2010
at 15:08
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
The group spends a few hours with this investigation.  The connection between Garth and the victims makes the Sheriff intent upon getting to the facts before letting Garth leave.

Is there anything anybody wants to do in that time?

Tanrov/Garth you get dirty and scratched from crawling under the house, but otherwise find nothing.  Sometimes a crawl space is just a crawl space.
Glum
 player, 357 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Mon 5 Apr 2010
at 15:48
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum muses, "You know, I think we can take them at their word.  Mara killed her husband before this undead guy killed her. Perhaps the husband's death was not connected to the others."
Zer-wedula
 player, 284 posts
Tue 6 Apr 2010
at 10:32
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"I  still think the answer lies at Foxglove's manor.  The twist now is who is she?"
Tanrov
 player, 22 posts
Tue 6 Apr 2010
at 17:22
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
At least Tanrov/ Garth got dirty, it is the kid again just don't make him take a bath, he hates baths.  "I have no idea how all of these people fit together."

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:55, Tue 06 Apr 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 172 posts
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 19:40
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
While they are waiting, Talis will go have a chat with Ibor Thorn, maybe asking about his dead partner Banny Harker will provide a connection.
DM
 GM, 674 posts
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 19:44
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis tracks down Ibor and convinces (diplomacy = success) the man to talk with him.  Ibor can confirm that Harker had frequent midnight trysts with Katrine, but although Ven’s a possessive father, Ibor doesn’t think he’s capable of doing what was done to Harker.  Ibor really wasn't sure if Banny was serious about Katrine or not.

Just as the group is getting ready to leave, again, the Sheriff will bring to the farmer Gump a dirty, wild eyed Varisian who smells of booze.  When he sees the Heroes of Sandpoint he starts babbling;

"Mumble Mumble Scarecrow,
Alone in the maize.
Sleeping in the daytime,
A stitched man he stays.
But when the moon she rises,
Up Mumble gets.
He shakes his hands at first
And moves his feet the next.
And when the dog is snoring,
And when you’re fast asleep,
Mumble Mumble Scarecrow
Will find you good to eat.
"

After you calm him down you get he following story; how the southern farmlands have become plagued by foul walking scarecrows that stalk the night. All the farmers knew that the problems were coming from the old Hambley place—things “just ain’t been right there for a few days now”—but when a group of us paid the Hambley farm a visit yesterday evening, we were attacked by folk that looked like corpses but fed like starving animals." At this point, Grump’s worked himself into a lather again and shrieks, “They even ate the dogs!

The farms in question are the ones closest to Foxglove Manor (with the Hambley farm being the closest) and are more or less on the way.  The Sheriff will also tell you that the man he sent to warn the farms has not returned.

You notice in Sandpoint the people are nervous and on edge.  As you travel south the usually friendly farmers are suspicious and fearful.  Do you wish to talk to any of them and what do you ask/say?

working on the map

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:39, Wed 07 Apr 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 23 posts
Wed 7 Apr 2010
at 23:08
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov/ Garth is ready to go.  Our next stop better be the farm nearest Foxglove's place.  Even though the old man and what he said gave T/G the shivers.  Is this what adventuring is like, getting the shivers everytime you turn around than Garth must have been very brave.
Glum
 player, 358 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Thu 8 Apr 2010
at 08:52
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Right", said Glum with a grim grin, "Where's me pitchfork?  Yes, Tanrov, it is, but this isn't adventuring, this is just plain doing what needs to be done.  We'll need oil and torches as well as our usual stuff."
Zer-wedula
 player, 286 posts
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 00:43
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"I recommend burning the scarecrows by day and finding a defensible house for the night.  Let the dogs sniff out the corpses.  Start with the farm the sheriff sent his man to."
DM
 GM, 676 posts
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 18:45
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Hinterlands map
http://psimancz.pbworks.com/f/...+Hinterlands+Map.pdf
or
http://media.photobucket.com/i...Hinterlands.jpg?o=22

Talis tries to use his charm (ie:Diplomacy) to gain information from a farmstead, but gets a door slammed in his face.

Cat, Zer and Glum all notice the various homemade wards against evil.

After the group passes over the Soggy river they encounter 1 farm before they get to the Hambley farm.  It is deserted.  A quick scout shows signs of violence in the main house, but no bodies.  The dogs (except for garious) begin to whine, showing signs of being nervous.

Players map of the Hambley farm
http://www.mediafire.com/?inv72dtych2

The Hambley farm is the western most farm, at the edge of the Whisperwoods on the Foxglove river.  You come out of the woods and can see the farm house and barn about 500' to the SW surrounded by fields of tall stalk plants that transform the paths between them into oppressive tunnels.  Once you enter the fields you could easily become lost.  It is late afternoon and the sun is casting long shadows.  The paths are 10' wide dirt paths, since the day has been dry they are packed and easy to walk on (not muddy).  The fields are considered difficult terrain(x2 movement, no charging).  The dogs are very nervous.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:30, Fri 09 Apr 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 24 posts
Fri 9 Apr 2010
at 22:33
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov will ready a torch for use when it gets dark.  I'd like to know marching order as to not destroy either Glum's or Talis's vision when I light the torch.  Does anyone have chalk or string so that we can keep from getting lost. Maybe even someone go at directions would help as well.
Talis Revain
 player, 173 posts
Sat 10 Apr 2010
at 02:52
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis reaches over and cuts off a stalk, "We can leave 1 or more cuttings to show our path.  The question Cat is, do you want to move through the fields and watch our flank or stay with the dogs so they attack, instead of running away?"
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 281 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Sat 10 Apr 2010
at 20:11
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat looks at the team, then the field, "I think Gar and I will take a flank. Just tell us where we can best be used." Maybe foolish.
Zer-wedula
 player, 287 posts
Sat 10 Apr 2010
at 23:43
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Your torch will only help you and Cat.  Maybe you should take the opposite flank or point.  I suggest point....the light will draw out the opposition and you can burn the stalks if needed."
Zer-wedula looked at Talis and Glum and asked, "Do either of you want an increase to your strength?"
He turned to Cat, "You should take all the dogs, you and Garious will handle them best."
Tanrov
 player, 25 posts
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 00:50
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov will take point with the torch.  He'll walk quietly and stealthy if possible with sword out in one hand while in the other is the shield and torch.  Looking every which way for TROUBLE.  He's ready to set the stalks on fire if need be as well.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:53, Sun 11 Apr 2010.

Glum
 player, 359 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 11:21
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum said, "An increase in strength would be helpful, but I understand it's short lasting, and probably best reserved until we're close to needing it."
DM
 GM, 677 posts
Sun 11 Apr 2010
at 16:20
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
The group heads into the maize maze (it's not really a maze, I just wanted to use that line).

Cat- the plants do slow the dogs down to 30' and no charging.  It also reduces visibility to only 10' or so.

The group heads in, Talis and Tanrov/Garth in front, Glum and Zer-wedula behind while Cat and the dogs range out on the flank (right or left).  The dogs are fairly noisy as the crash through the plants.  The group see ahead about 50' to a 4 way intersection.  There is a scarecrow tied to a post/cross at the intersection.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:48, Mon 12 Apr 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 174 posts
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 18:22
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis is going to give Garth/Tanrov the 18 str long composite bow you got off the bugbear at Thistletop.

"Tanrov, cover me with this hunk of an over-sized excuse for a bow, I'll go in and check it out."  Move forward, ready to attack anything that may jump out as I move forward to poke the scarecrow.
Tanrov
 player, 26 posts
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 18:49
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Okay, I was wondering what to do with the scarecrow anyway,Tanrov puts down on the ground the sword, torch and shield in order to handle the bow.  Actually Tanrov will put sword and shield away on his person while just putting down the torch.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:27, Tue 13 Apr 2010.

DM
 GM, 678 posts
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 19:27
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis carefully moves forward, polearm at ready.  The shadows cast by the sun seem like they could hold all sorts of things.  But the only thing you hear are the dogs with Cat, moving through the plants.  Talis get's up to the scarecrow and carefully pokes it... and finds it to be just a scarecrow.  Looking down all 3 paths, the ones to the east and west both curve gently south, while the path to the south goes straight until it curves to the west.
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield: Cat can tell the dogs are not happy.  Even Garious doesn't like it here.  She can also sense the unnatural lack of creatures (birds, etc...) that should be around at this time of year.]

E, W or S?
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 282 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Mon 12 Apr 2010
at 22:15
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat follows along, reigning in Gar now and then. She calls out, "Our canine friends don't like it here, Less than I. And I can boost someone's strength for a bit." After a few beats, "It's too quiet. No birds or insects."

West gets my vote.