2.0 Murder in Sandpoint.   Posted by DM.Group: archive 0
Tanrov
 player, 27 posts
Tue 13 Apr 2010
at 01:28
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
West is fine with me.
Glum
 player, 360 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Tue 13 Apr 2010
at 09:23
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum nods, "West is as good a direction as any.  Let's go that way."

OOC Post number 2000 yay!
DM
 GM, 679 posts
Tue 13 Apr 2010
at 10:23
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum gets a 2000 cookie, yum

It looks like just a typical scarecrow for this area.  So the party heads west, which curves into a southward direction.  After about 300' you approach another 4 way intersection that has a tree and some berry bushes at 2 of the corners.  Suddenly, the party hears a noise (a horrible shriek) to the right of the intersection in the field near where Cat is (maybe 30' or so away in the field).

[Private to Catessa Fallowfield: You come upon a scarecrow that is off the path about 10' and partially hidden by the plants.  Before you can do anything, this one turns it's head and wrenches free from the twine that binds it to the post and drops down next to a dog.  There is a smell of death on it, but not enough to make you gag.
Please read the Handle Animal skill for pushing animals.  Only Garious will attack, the rest must be pushed
]

Round 1
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield: ScarecrowGhoul attacks a dog and wounds it, dog is paralyzed.]


Tactical Situation
The party (- Cat and he dogs) is on the path an unknown(30' or so) distance from the action in the field.
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield: Cat is 10' from a scarecrow ghoul attacking the lead dog.  The other dogs are one on each side of you 5'-10' distant.

Paralyzed with horror, Cat is slow to react - you have the lowest initiative, so please post your action as a PM to me, thanks.
]






Everyone post,

<AND DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE AC AND HP(CURRENT/TOTAL)>

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:38, Tue 13 Apr 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 28 posts
Tue 13 Apr 2010
at 21:27
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov/Garth will put the bow on his back while taking his sword and shield out and then move carefully towards Cat and the dogs.  His AC is 18 and his hit points are 44.
Zer-wedula
 player, 288 posts
Tue 13 Apr 2010
at 23:45
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
AC 11 (15 soon) 41 hp


Zer-wedula mutters something and casts Mage Armor.
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 283 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 00:11
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat: AC 18 HP 26
Gar: AC 20 HP 30


[Private to DM: Basically, Gar should bite +2 to hit, 1d6 +3 damage.
Cat will try to call out and let loose with an eldritch blast: BAB 3, DEX +3, 2d6 damage, I think.
]pm
Glum
 player, 361 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 09:20
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
AC 16 HPts 33

Glum casts Bless on the party (except Catessa who is not with us). (Add +1 to to hit rolls and save v fear effects)
Talis Revain
 player, 175 posts
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 09:30
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis looks around for an ambush and delays until he ears something more than the dog yelp, but seeing that Zer and Glum aren't moving, he will drop his polearm and move after Tanrov/Garth with a "Stay in pairs".  He draws hi sword and activates his shield ring as he moves toward the sound.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:01, Wed 14 Apr 2010.

DM
 GM, 680 posts
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 19:25
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
In the distance(hundreds of feet), around the farm(the echoes make it difficult to determine direction), other(2-4) shrieks are heard.

Round 1
Glum Casts bless and then looks around.

Zer-wedula Casts Mage Armor and then looks around.

Tanrov/Garthdrops his bow and runs into the field drawing his weapon.

Catessa Fallowfield  & Garious [Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Tanrov: Tanrov arrives just as Cat and Garious are attacking a dwarf shaped scarecrow that is savaging a paralyzed dog.  Cat fires a blast that hits and does 7 dam.  Garious then moves in and misses.  Dogs 1 and 2 just slink back and growl while dog 3 just takes off through the field to the east.]

dogs 1-4
Zer, Talis and Glum hear something coming from the fight but have no time to react as dog3 just burst out from the field, runs across the path into the other field and out of sight(heading east).

Talis moves after Tanrov, dropping his polearm, drawing weapon and activating shield.


Round 2
dwarf Scarecrow Ghoul
[Private to Catessa Fallowfield; Talis Revain; Tanrov: the dwarf Scarecrow Ghoul is surrounded, and reacts with a hiss and some threatening gestures.  But seems irresistibly drawn to the scent of the blood coming from the paralyzed dog.  It savages the dog with 3 more attacks and pulls out it's heart and starts eating.]


Taking advantage of the situation, Talis, Tanrov/Garth and Cat/Garious combine to destroy the dwarf scarecrow ghoul.


Dogs3      -Dead
Dogs4      -ran away

A couple of notes;
-don't forget, you can do move actions.
-using an Elditch Blast in a threatened square provokes an Aoo, and shooting from the back of a dog in melee counts.
-You must state you are using Frightful Blast or Sickening Blast (1 only) if you want to use them.
-The dogs will be useless in combat with ghouls unless someone controls them.

The group is standing in the field around a dead dog and a destroyed ghoul that used to be a dwarven farmer.  It's shrieks have obviously alerted other ghouls around the farm.  There is a 4 way intersection nearby with paths leading NE(where you came from), NW, SW and SE.  The farm house is south.

Even a cursory examination shows this ghoul is fairly new, probably having been infected just a few days ago and just recently dead/turned into a ghoul.
Glum
 player, 362 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 19:56
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum examines the dead ghoul to see whether he knows who he was before.
DM
 GM, 681 posts
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 21:47
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
You don't recognize him by sight, but since there aren't that many dwarven farmers around (ok, only 1), this must be him.  He was new and there was only him and his wife on a farm south of the Soggy River by the Whisperwoods.
Glum
 player, 363 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Wed 14 Apr 2010
at 22:34
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Only one place he could be from", suggested Glum.  "Guess we go there if we don't meet all the ghouls here."
Talis Revain
 player, 176 posts
Thu 15 Apr 2010
at 08:31
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis get's concerned at everyone standing around in the field, "Come on, let's get back to the path."  He goes back to the intersection, picking up his polearm on the way.  "South west?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:57, Thu 15 Apr 2010.

Tanrov
 player, 29 posts
Thu 15 Apr 2010
at 20:53
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov goes back and picks up the bow heading Southwest
DM
 GM, 682 posts
Thu 15 Apr 2010
at 22:05
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
As you move around to the SW, you see about 60' ahead a scarecrow on the left side of the path.  Talis again says "cover me" and advances forward.

Is Cat going to be on or off the path?  with or without the dogs?
I will wait for Ca to respond...

A couple of notes;
-don't forget, you can do move actions.
-using an Elditch Blast in a threatened square provokes an Aoo, and shooting from the back of a dog in melee counts.
-You must state you are using Frightful Blast or Sickening Blast (1 only) if you want to use them.
-The dogs will be useless in combat with ghouls unless someone controls them.

Zer-wedula
 player, 289 posts
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 00:10
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Again Zer-wedula mutters something and takes the torch.

"We are being played," he says as he lights some of the stalks.  "No more.  If you can take to the air do so.  Find the farmhouse.  Find the nexus."

He moves ninety degrees counter clockwise and continues to light stalks. "The farmers are dead.  One dog is dead, the rest nervous.  We burn, control the situation, and kill.  Otherwise we are in someone else's trap."
He pauses, surveys his comrades.  "Yes?"
Tanrov
 player, 30 posts
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 02:40
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Tanrov/Garth will cover Talis.  After putting away sword and shield.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:33, Fri 16 Apr 2010.

Glum
 player, 364 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 09:09
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Glum nodded and grinned grimly.  "Told you we needed torches and pitchforks."
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 284 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 11:25
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Cat goes off a short bit, trying  to not wander off and get separated to see if the missing dog is easily tracked. Seeing her comrades plan, she warns, "If you happen to catch the fields ablaze. it might spread to the forest."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:34, Fri 16 Apr 2010.

Talis Revain
 player, 177 posts
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 20:59
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Talis, "Zer, could we hold off on burning the field until we see an exit.  We might need to back track"

As Cat rides off, "Cat, it's just a dog.  Rations on the paw.  It probably has a better chance of getting out of the field alive than we do if we set it on fire."
Tanrov
 player, 31 posts
Fri 16 Apr 2010
at 21:27
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Come On Zer, Do you really want to start the fire with no natural fire breaks around.  Glum, he doesn't need any encouragement to start the fire, come on really, he's posed ready now. Tanrov says rather shoutedly amongst all the chao.  Let us retire to a more defensible position from which to assault these scarecrow ghouls first before we set anything a fire.
Glum
 player, 365 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 08:44
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Couldn't we just build a wall round the fields and wait fir the ghouls to come through the only gate we leave?" asked Glum.
Zer-wedula
 player, 290 posts
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 11:03
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Zer-wedula gives the torch back to Tanrov.  "This position looks uncomfortably familiar.  We should figure out how we can take control rather than wait to be attacked."
Glum
 player, 366 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Sat 17 Apr 2010
at 14:19
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
"Last time we were in this position, we negotiated a peace with the goblins.  I don't think we can do that for ghouls."  Glum frowned and scratched his head.  "Has anyone ever managed to negotiate with ghouls I wonder?"
DM
 GM, 685 posts
Sun 18 Apr 2010
at 22:57
Re: 2.0 Murder in Sandpoint
Only EVIL people have ever "negotiated with ghouls".

The group is quietly chatting as Talis moves up to the scarecrow and stabs into it.  You see him pull the weapon out and relax just a bit, it's just a normal scarecrow...

[Private to Zer-wedula: You see 2 forms about to jump out of the stalks around Talis, 5' and 10' from him.  You have initiative.]

Waiting for Zer to respond to a threat.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:39, Mon 19 Apr 2010.