2.2 Magnimar.   Posted by DM.Group: archive 0
DM
 GM, 1077 posts
Thu 17 Nov 2011
at 13:29
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Playing to his ego works and the man calms down.  You can see that if you phrase stuff properly he is easily manipulated.

While Lord Milstrom does some personal business (bathroom), Jan will quietly tell everybody that he doesn't believe Lord Milstrom knew they were Mantis.  But, he is lying about it being the first time, he has been with the woman several times before.  But this was the 1st time at that particular bar - before they had met at places outside of Underbridge.  He does believe that he was the target of an assasination attempt.  He wasn't aware his date was an assasin.  But he was starting to miss a drug she had been giving him.  Jan suspects the Mantis were in the process of making him an addict.  He also doesn't really trust the group yet, but is smart enough to not mess with several armed people.  He is an egotistical noble desperately trying to cover up a scandal(going out with a prostitute) so his wife won't find out.  If you push him on this and make him reveal the scandal, you WILL make an enemy. No thought of the Mantis crosses his mind, other than how they were trying to kill him.  He has no idea the place was destroyed and all the Mantis are dead, he got knocked out early on.

Such a large armed group will attract unwanted attention, so with Lord Milstrom cleared of being a Mantis ally, arrangements are made for 1/2 the group to escort him to safety, after securing his agreement that it is probably best if no one knows about his involvement in this affair.  Jan reads his mind, Milstrom certainly isn't going to tell anyone.
ooc; If you want to deal with Lord Milstrom later, you know where to find him.

Arrangements are made for the other 1/2 of the group to drop the sailors at their ship, where their shipmates can help them.  Sailors coming back to a ship in this condition is rare, but not unheard of, and you doubt if it will be noticed by anyone but their shipmates.  They will recover, they just need time.  Time on a ship traveling away from Magnimar.

Heading back to the Inn where Jan has a room, everyone hears about what happened in Underbridge, the bridge collapsed onto a building and killed many people.  Some say it might be the Deathcult because a family was killed nearby, drained of blood and strange runes were carved in thier bodies.  Maybe this cult is trying to collapse the bridge and bury Underbridge?  To Miriam's dismay, this prospect doesn't cause as much outrage as it should.

Back at the room, Talis is waiting... and after some hearty exclamations of "You're alive!"  Talis tells his story.  “We went upstairs and Grigori started grabbing stuff, then the ceiling started coming down.  Grigori had a magic item of Dimension Door and he teleported to a so called safe room and I hitched a ride.  A Mantis Assassin came out of nowhere. When all was said and done, Grigori collapsed unexpectedly, probably due to the assassin’s envenomed blade.   My antitoxin was of no avail and as he lay dying Grigori tried to tip Pharasma's scales with his last words.  The Cult is located at a sawmill on Kyver’s Islet and they have Rynshinn Povalli (a pretty halfelf lady from Sandpoint).  They are planning to sacrifice her tomorrow."

     Talis will seek a private moment with Miriam...[Private to Miriam:  After his story is told, Tallis will pull Miriam aside and will quietly discharge the last of his duties, "His last words to me were of you...", Talis will pause, pulling a crystall out of his pocket.  "He wanted you to have this since you didn’t get to have lunch."]

Loot –
[Private to Talis Revain:  Ring Gates
2x 4th level scrolls
wand of Summon Monster 3
]

The gnome wizard had
Rod of metamagic, lesser, Silence (must have in hand, apply the Silence Metamagic Feat to a spell you are casting 3/day)
Handy Haversack
Spellbook –
0: all
1: Mage Armor, Magic Missle, Disguise Self, Silent Image, Vanish, Animate Rope, Memory Lapse, Hypnotism, Charm Person, Detect Secret Doors
2: Mirror Image, Glitterdust, Invisibility, Spider Climb, Cats Grace, Knock
3: Shrink, Slow, Fly, Major Image. Secret Page, Summon Monster 3
100gp Gnome clothes
1000gp in coins from various nations
Wand of Mage Armor (CL1, 20 chgs)
Wand of Magic Missles (CL3, 30 chgs)

The halfling had
X2 uses of Dust of Disappearance
Gloves that allow you to change the flavor, temperature and look of food and drink, at will.  You can also use it to cast Ray of Fire or Ray of Frost (30’ range).  But doing so renders the glove unuseable for 1 minute.

The troll had
Wayfinder with a slotted Ioun Stone (resonance ability is +1 will saves)
Ioun Stone, +2 int (skill point go into diplomacy)
Wayfinders are small magical device patterned off ancient relics of the Azlanti, a wayfinder is typically made from silver and bears gold accents. With a command word, you can use a wayfinder to shine (as the light spell). The wayfinder also acts as a nonmagical (magnetic) compass, granting you a +2 circumstance bonus on Survival checks to avoid becoming lost. All wayfinders include a small indentation designed to hold a single ioun stone. An ioun stone slotted in this manner grants you its normal benefits (as if it were orbiting your head), but frequently reveals entirely new powers due to the magic of the wayfinder itself (resonance abilities).  They are typically used ny memebers of the Pathfinder Society.

x8 nonmagical Wrist Potion Device.  It holds a potion so that it is always considered to be “in hand” and ready to drink.  You don’t have to spend an action to draw it out. They are tricky to load.

200 gp in useable coins

Grigori had
Wand of CLW (CL1, 36 chgs)
Miriam – Crystal that attaches to armor
.  The longer it is attached to a given suit, the more effects it will give.  Now it can be used to
1- Invert channeling (positive to negative/negative to positive)
2- ???


I want everyone to level up at the same time, but you aren't quite there yet.  Because they were playing from the begining; Sam, Cat, Tanrov, Talis, Miriam, Jan get a free feat. 

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:08, Sun 20 Nov 2011.

Miriam
 player, 87 posts
 Priestess of Pharasma
 48/48 HP
Sun 20 Nov 2011
at 01:35
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Miriam wasn't personally terribly impressed with Lord Milstrom, and she felt sorry for the man's wife, but it wasn't really any of her professional concern what he did with his time, and trying to push the issue would make the job of running the death cult to ground a great deal harder.  So she was quite willing to let things lie, at least for now.  Honestly, he probably had been far from the only member of Magnimar's ruling body running around on his wife that particular night.  A great many powerful men seemed to have an unfortunate addiction to risky behavior.

Upon returning to Jan's inn suite, which seemed to have become their de facto headquarters, she was quite pleased to see Talis waiting for them.  Her smile was warm as she told him, "I'm glad to see you made it out relatively unscathed.  I was concerned Pharasma might see you before I did again.", she commented, then listened to his report on Grigori's final moments and what he'd told Talis.  "Did he say when tomorrow?  We must try to rescue her, of course, but our battle at the tavern was costly in terms of resources.  Without a chance to rest, I'll have very few prepared spells remaining.", she noted.

Miriam speaks briefly with Talis... [Private to Talis: Miriam smiles sadly and says, "Thank you, Talis.  I wish things with Grigori had ended better.  Should his information allow us to rescue their hostage and end the threat of this cult, I'll certainly say a prayer for him.  I don't know how much influence I have upon my Goddess' judgments, but it couldn't hurt.", she mused, as she took the crystal Talis had offered her.]

She offers a few comments on the treasure they found, though only a few.  She notes that she already has a similar haversack, and that someone besides her should probably take the CLW wand. "Unless we're up against a small army, I should have adequate healing capabilities, but if I should go down or can't reach someone, it's good to have other potential options."

[Private to DM: Taking Great Fortitude as her free feat.]

[Private to Miriam: The crystal looks interesting, but Miriam doesn't recognize it off hand.  Perhaps with some time and research she might find out what it is.  She does realize it can be used as an Inverter (can change channeling Miriam does from positive to negative).

ooc: It's homebrewed, so you won't find this as an official PF magic item.
]

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:00, Sun 20 Nov 2011.

Talis Revain
 player, 348 posts
Sun 20 Nov 2011
at 14:27
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Talis has all their gear in the room already packed and ready to go.  "I suggest we find a place closer to this Kyver's Islet, though not too close.  It should make it easier to learn about this sawmill and maybe do some scouting in the morning.  Maybe we can find a friendly cleric who can heal us to normal, or maybe just use this wand.  Then we can be ready to confront the cult sometime tommorrow.  As for loot, I could make the best use of the gloves and dust."  He looks at the pile, "Obviously the wands, rod, wayfinder and stone go to casters.  Do you want to split up the stone and wayfinder?  The spellbook can be used by Zer."  Talis looks thoughtful and turns serious, "Don't flash this stuff around until after we take down the cult.  Then we can "find" this stuff in the cult's possesion, which hopefully will divert Mantis attention to the now dead Cult.  If we are just a little lucky, we might get off scot free.  You can get away with murder as long as you follow a few simple rules.  The most important rule, NEVER...TALK...ABOUT...IT!"
DM
 GM, 1082 posts
Wed 23 Nov 2011
at 00:40
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Since no one raises any objections, the group moves to an inn in The Marches.  It's another cramped section of town where you need to keep an eye on your gold, but it's not nearly as bad as Underbridge.  Some of the group secures quarters as newly arrived merchants while those with the skill ask around about sawmills.

The group meets together in a private room for dinner and planning.  And after making sure it is private, the group can get down to planning before a good night's rest.

The target sawmill is off by itself at the end of a road seperated from the rest of the sawmills by 100'.  A casual walk by would be impossible and they will probably see anyone approaching.  It's a 5 story building on the water with no windows.  The bottom is full of machinery that makes, what 1 person describes as, "...an Unholy racket...", the perfect cover for the screams of victims.  It has a private dock, the better to dispose of any bodies or smuggle in new victims.  It's prices are a little high, so it only has a few select clients and no one seems to be able, or willing, to name them.  The supposition is that they are criminal, pirates maybe.

[Private to Miriam: While Miriam knows that most deathcult rituals are performed in the dark of night, some can take place anytime.  By all accounts the girl they have hostage is someone they targeted and she doesn't fit the new profile of victims(greedy), so she must be special...  In other words, she could be sacrificed at any time.]

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:33, Sat 26 Nov 2011.

Zer-wedula
 player, 413 posts
Wed 23 Nov 2011
at 02:31
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
"This spellbook contains the fly spell.  Talis, perhaps an invisible surveillance from above is the first step, as in tonight.  When we go in, I recommend our two best fighters use the dust, or else those who benefit most from flanking.  All spellcasters who can benefit from mirror image, mage armor, and shield should prep those."

Zer-wedula pauses for a moment before he begins again.  "It seems that everyone suspects this is some sort of criminal lair, so a minor amount of explosions should be acceptable.  Jan, can you prepare alchemist's fire or thunderstones or tanglefoot bags for us."

Then he concludes with a smile that lets you know he clearly does not mean what he is saying, "Or maybe we can once again run about willy-nilly following our own ideas of what to do when the battle commences leaving all the foes able to counter attack us with better tactics."
Jan Harlow
 player, 176 posts
 Oh? You are so bold,
 I like that. I really do.
Wed 23 Nov 2011
at 02:51
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Whenever Jan could, he would claim the Wayfinder and two of the potion wrist devices for himself. The Alchemist fancied the compass due to his proclivities of wandering, while having the wrist devices seemed like a logical choice. He always seemed to waste time tying to scarf down a Mutagen.

"I can, I can make a lot if I have the money to buy the ingredients in bulk, time might be a issue though...I can also make fuse grenades, learned how to make 'em off a Tienese traveler a while back. They make a great big bang and a good for close quarters. Expensive to make though, around thirty-five gold pieces a pop." Jan replies to Zer-wedula airily, with a hint of uncaring amusement at his own expense. The Alchemist looked pale and slightly shaky, but was in good spirits given his cat-ate-the-carney grin he had been sporting all the while.

"I can also make a verity of poisons and antidotes and such, perhaps a few cheap paralytics are in order. Might not be all that spectacular, but a edge is a edge, no?" Jan continued without preamble. Seemingly immune to any insinuation that he was someone that did things "will-nilly".
Talis Revain
 player, 349 posts
Wed 23 Nov 2011
at 03:34
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
With polite care Talis wipes his mouth with his napkin before he stands and outlines his plan by making a map with condiments and silverware, "Let's borrow an unattended row boat and go in along the bank to the door into the lowest level.  Start at the bottom and work our way to the top.  No unexpected surprises that way."

To Zers statement of "else those who benefit most from flanking", Talis responds ever so humbly and puts himself forward as the one who can make best use of the dust.  "If I can get a flanker, say a summoned critter or if I can be invisible, then I can place my attacks very carefully. I would also suggest a spell to read thoughts would be helpful if we get a prisoner.  And don't get to far from Miriam."  With a look at Miriam, "We all love you Miriam, in a platonic, you keep us alive type of way."

To Jan Talis says, "A magical wayfinder, a stone and 2 wrist devices, a little much.  8 of us, 8 of the wrist things.  Seems like a perfect fit."

After any discussion is concluded, Talis will be sure to disassemble the map, leaving no clues behind.

Ooc:  Do the wrist devices have "handedness"?

DM edit- yes they are all for the left wrist.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:35, Wed 23 Nov 2011.

Sammiya Koi
 player, 48 posts
 Tian Halfling
 Samurai
Wed 23 Nov 2011
at 04:07
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Tired of standing around silently Sammiya spoke up, "Aside from the wrist potion things, is there anything else that remains unclaimed? Also, if anyone can use the wand, my dog and I need healing."
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 484 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Wed 23 Nov 2011
at 15:17
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Cat looks at Sammi, and with a sigh, "Come here, I have some healing left." Doesn't mean she trusts the other halfling. "Why not try going in on the bank?"
Sammiya Koi
 player, 49 posts
 Tian Halfling
 Samurai
Wed 23 Nov 2011
at 15:31
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Sammi went over to where Cat could reach her. "What is needed for the bank? I have no money, but I could off some of my equipment. My money was stolen."
Talis Revain
 player, 350 posts
Wed 23 Nov 2011
at 18:23
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Talis shakes his head at the comedy sketch that is the halfling girls comedy hour, "Sam is it, I believe she meant the river bank.  If you meant on the bank, that would be fine for you Cat, but there rest of us can't tell the plants to let us through, or however you do your little trick (Woodland Stride).  However, I do like the idea of you moving along the bank looking for watchers or traps while we row along the bank in a boat."
Sammiya Koi
 player, 50 posts
 Tian Halfling
 Samurai
Wed 23 Nov 2011
at 19:03
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
"Oh," Sammiya said with an expression of sudden understanding. "I am sorry. I thought she meant a group bank. I have only recently learned this language. I misunderstand many things."
Miriam
 player, 88 posts
 Priestess of Pharasma
 48/48 HP
Wed 23 Nov 2011
at 20:38
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Miriam shrugs and takes one of the wrist devices, as it seemed like it could be handy.  She loaded it up with a vial of holy water, for lack of any potions to put in it.  Once they start talking tactics at the new inn, she says, "We don't have a great deal of time to craft anything - the girl could be sacrificed at any time.  If we hadn't been so sorely pressed in our earlier fight, I'd favor going in immediately, but as is, I think we shouldn't delay any longer than we must to recover spells and such.  I'm on board with Talis' plan for our entrance to the mill.  Unless someone else has another suggestion, his seems as good as any."

She smiled slightly at Talis' comment and replied, "I love you all too, in a platonic, 'you keep the bad things out of my face while I'm healing you', sort of way."  She smiled again at Sammiya and Cat's discussion and said, "No need to apologize.  Your Taldane is much better than my Tien.  And there are a great many words that mean many different things.  But it does seem that I've been remiss in my duties given than many of you are still injured.  Let me try to make amends.", she offered, taking her holy symbol in hand and emitting another pulse of soft, holy, healing light.

OOC:
14:26, Today: Miriam rolled 12 using 3d6. Healing pulse.

Zer-wedula
 player, 414 posts
Wed 23 Nov 2011
at 21:41
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Zer-wedula loads his resist energy potion into his wrist holder.

"Talis, I can summon creatures for you, but to really help you I would then also need to memorize See Invisible, so as to properly place them." He shrugs, "Our new half-orc friend should be able to make up the firepower and should also be able to use the wand."

"How obvious will we be with a mixed race group and two dogs in a boat? If I saw you coming it would be a perfect fireball opportunity.  Oh, and I am still not sure of our plan once inside is one of stealth, one of mayhem, or one of chaos."
Sammiya Koi
 player, 51 posts
 Tian Halfling
 Samurai
Wed 23 Nov 2011
at 22:24
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Sammiya smiled, relieved. "Thank you, Miriam. I was not to know which bank she was referring to then?" Sammiya then checked Akihiro then loved on him a moment before letting go and facing Miriam. She herself was still badly wounded, but at least Akihiro was fine. "Thank you also for your healing. I am still wounded, but Akihiro is faine."
Tanrov
 player, 192 posts
 Muscular Human with a 11
 yo. 1/2 Elf boy inside
Wed 23 Nov 2011
at 22:57
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Tanrov had gotten bored with the talking and was busy eating when Miriam gave another healing energy wave.  Surprised, he jumped up, hand going toward his scimitar, "What, where, are we under attack... and when no attack comes, he looks sheepish.  He kind of mumbles, "Sorry...I...I wasn't paying attention" as he sits back down, embarrassed.  "Whatever you guys want me to do."

Tanrov will take the Power Attack feat.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:07, Thu 24 Nov 2011.

Logalog
 player, 11 posts
 Well, we can always..
 resort to violence....
Thu 24 Nov 2011
at 22:45
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Logalog chuckles at Tanrov's reaction to being healed.
  "Tickles a little bit, doesn't it?" he says to the slightly embarrassed warrior.
Logalog's been listening carefully to the other party member's ideas, nodding in response to Talis's plan and Zer's desire for a more detailed approach.
  " It seems to me," Logalog says, " that we should try a stealth-oriented approach. If we can get inside the sawmill without tipping anyone off, there's less chance of the cult trying to hurry up their twisted rituals and off the girl outright. Once inside, we should use Talis's skills to scout ahead a room while the rest of us stand by in the previous room ready for action. If we're discovered too quickly, then we'll have to fight as fast as we can and make take the most direct approach to where we think there girl is. The question is, what part of the sawmill do we believe her to be?"
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 485 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Fri 25 Nov 2011
at 00:28
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Cat smiles weakly, "Sorry, river bank" With that, she heals the other, "If we go soon, I'll be low on healing ability.' She's not advocating a delay, just explaining.

19:21, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 10 using 1d8+5. heal familiar.
19:21, Today: Catessa Fallowfield rolled 9 using 1d8+5. heal Samm.

Even the dice aren't fond of you.

Sammiya Koi
 player, 52 posts
 Tian Halfling
 Samurai
Fri 25 Nov 2011
at 01:13
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
"I would not suggest going soon then. We should not go into a potential battle already weakened." Sammiya replied. "Thank you, I appreciate your help."

OOC: The dice hardly ever do much. I still need much more. I was seriously messed up.
Miriam
 player, 89 posts
 Priestess of Pharasma
 48/48 HP
Fri 25 Nov 2011
at 17:24
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
"Sorry, Tanrov.", Miriam said, mildly amused by his reaction.  "Well, given the context it wasn't that tricky for native speakers, but context is one of the harder things to pin down in learning a new language.  May I?", Miriam asked, reaching over as she said a brief prayer over Sammiya's injuries.  "Is anyone else still badly injured?", she asked, looking around at the others.  "I agree with Sammiya, it would be foolish to go before we've had a chance to rest.  I want to save the young woman too, but our ultimate goal is to bring an end to the death cult's activities.  Going in now would be tantamount to suicide, and while I've no special fear of death, I would prefer to at least finish what we started."

OOC:
Sammiya's healed for 39.
11:14, Today: Miriam rolled 26(39) using 3d8+6. CSW - Sammiya (x1.5).
Dropping remove blindness/deafness for CSW.
The dice seemed to like you there pretty well.  Plus Miriam's domain power. ;)

Talis Revain
 player, 351 posts
Fri 25 Nov 2011
at 17:52
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
To Zer, Talis says with a wry grin "Yeah we would look odd, but that's why we want to go in the wee hours of the morning as the dawn begins to break, with hopefully fog.  So, stealth until mayhem provokes chaos.  Stealth as long as we can, and then let loose the hounds of Gorum."
Zer-wedula
 player, 417 posts
Sat 26 Nov 2011
at 19:03
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Zer-wedula tried to reply but started wheezing instead.  "Well, I fear that the bats have drained more than my blood.  Perhaps if one of the ladies could help my ailing health we could carry out your excellent plan...?" he asked.
Sammiya Koi
 player, 54 posts
 Tian Halfling
 Samurai
Sat 26 Nov 2011
at 20:12
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
Sammiya bows deeply to Miriam after her spell of healing. "I am well now. Your spells have healed me, I owe you a debt of gratitude."
Miriam
 player, 92 posts
 Priestess of Pharasma
 48/48 HP
Sat 26 Nov 2011
at 22:10
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
"You don't, really.", Miriam told Sammiya with a smile.  "We're allies now, that sort of thing comes with the territory.  But you are quite welcome."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:11, Sat 26 Nov 2011.

Sammiya Koi
 player, 56 posts
 Tian Halfling
 Samurai
Sat 26 Nov 2011
at 22:19
Re: 2.2 Magnimar
"You healed Akihiro as well though. For that, I feel indebted." Sammiya explained.